Speaker 1: Welcome to the Favorites Podcast presented by DraftKings.
Speaker 2: The Crown is yours.
Speaker 1: I'm stucky joining me today my co host in stat Town, Evan Abrams, and we brought on the one and only Anthony Dubundo from The Ringer to talk World Cup with a focus on the US team and what their chances are, what their group looks like, and we'll get into some other things in the World Cup.
Speaker 2: Before we do get.
Speaker 1: Started, let me throw it to Brandon Kravitz for a word on DraftKings.
Speaker 3: The Favorites podcast is sponsored by DraftKings, where new customers can spend five bucks and get two hundred back in total bonus rewards, just in time for the NBA Finals.
Speaker 4: DraftKings is now available.
Speaker 3: In all fifty states from New York to California and anywhere in between, so no matter where you're watching, you're always in the game.
Speaker 4: With one app.
Speaker 3: New customers can download the Draft Kings sports app today use the code favorites to get two hundred dollars in total awards after you spend just five bucks. Stay in the game with Draft Kings and use the code favorites when signing up now.
Speaker 4: The Crown is yours.
Speaker 2: All right, Anthony.
Speaker 1: By the way, I heard on one of your The Ringer podcasts, she'll refer to you as Tony Buns, which is an amazing nickname. Is did that originate there or did you have that nickname before, because I've never heard you refer to that before.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he originated that. It was good wish I did when I joined. He likes to do that because it was Ben Solak. He was Benny Soles and then Anthony Dubundo became Tony Buns.
Speaker 4: And it's actually stuck. You know.
Speaker 5: Now, I'll be it Philly's games and a listener will see me or hear my voice.
Speaker 4: And be like, hey, Tony Bunns. So it's caught on.
Speaker 5: My mother didn't like it at first, but I think she's grown to appreciate it. And so you know, if you want to call me that all out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I could see a mother like that named you Anthony time last name and then Tony Buns. Probably not a mom's favorite nickname, but it works in so many other ways. Before we dive in to the World Cup, I tweeted this out yesterday. Were talking about this before the show about your friends and neighbors. A TV show that I think has fallen off pretty hard since season one of the two. I'm not too depressed about it because it's just supposed to be like a fun, entertaining show. But when I say that, what comes to your mind as a show that fell off from season one onward that you were like super excited about, I'll.
Speaker 2: Give you a second a think about it.
Speaker 1: Once it come to my mind Weeds. I don't know if I'm dating myself there. You ever watched Weeds? We'd season one was super dope and then it really fell off. If any tailor Sheridan show, I feel like they just move on to the next show. I got three, and then I'll my wife for the first time is watching Homeland, and I was went into the room with her the other night, and then it was she's on season one and I was like, oh, yeah, one is so good, And then the last season actually was pretty good, but there was some big, big fall off in between.
Speaker 2: What comes to mind from a anthon All.
Speaker 5: Right, So there's two and and there's there's a theme in the sense that they are shows that were clearly designed to be one season and they were really good. So people are like, Okay, let's do another seasoned. Yeah, Ted Lasso the perfect example. Like, once they got past the ruin and there was no villain, there was no plot. It was just like everybody loves everybody, We're all doing great. They had to like make up a new character to hate. It was like, didn't really feel right a designated survivor. They blow up the capitol, everybody dies, and now this random dude becomes the president. Great story, but then in season two it just became a knockoff of the West Wing with Keifer Sutherland is the President, which didn't really work. Uh, and then Prison Break, which now you watched, but like it was great for one season. Then it was like, Okay, how many times can we run back in the same plot? And that's kind of how I feel with your friends and neighbors. They ran the show. He's just like robbing people all the time. And then it's like, well, how many times can you.
Speaker 2: Rob people in your neighborhood after you've been you know, arrested.
Speaker 4: For murder exactly? And how did none of them have cameras?
Speaker 5: How did like they have their multimillionaires and they have no cameras that that seems illogical?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember watching that the first episode. That was my first stup.
Speaker 1: But was I watched prison Break season one and then I was like, I tried to watch more and was done. I never watched Designated Survivor, but it sounds like I should just watch season one of that.
Speaker 4: Season one was great. I loved it.
Speaker 2: Kevin. How about you?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think you know that Homeland is one of the difficulty is like one to two versus just one being really good and then the rest of the series kind of just not being as good, which is two a little bit different things.
Speaker 7: But Walking Dead was one for me.
Speaker 6: Squid Game like started really good and then you were after a while like, where is this going?
Speaker 7: This feels a little odd. Uh So those are some examples for me.
Speaker 4: Bear peaked in season two, but I haven't enjoyed recently.
Speaker 1: Sure I haven't. I haven't watched past two yet on my list, but it's not that good.
Speaker 7: No, okay?
Speaker 1: Well, producer Dave of Payne says his answer was Ted Lasso as well, so on the same page there. But let's get to the World Cup and the US men's national team before we kind of get into the nitty gritty of the team. They did lose a friendly two to one to Germany on Saturday. One positive, one negative or just I don't really take anything from it.
Speaker 2: What are your thoughts there?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was the dress rehearsal game, and I think there have been questions about what we were expecting from the US in terms of formation, in terms of positioning, in terms of player choice, and I think Pachaccino gave us some pretty good indications of what he thinks with the lineup and how they played the first hour, because they played that first hour and then you saw all the subs come in and they went through the rotations. So other than Chris Richards, who is still out injured and is questionable, looks like leaning toward in on Friday night, I think we saw ten of the eleven and starters.
Speaker 4: That are going to start against Paraguay on Friday night.
Speaker 5: And I think if you're looking for a positive, if you just watched that first hour and you didn't know which team was which, you would not come away thinking the US was any worse than Germany. And I think that's a huge win. The set piece defending would probably be the biggest negative. Two minutes into the game, dumb free kick to give away on the edge of the box, Joshua Kimmick sends in a free kick. Nobody is marking Kai Havertz, there are multiple unmarked players. That's the kind of thing that can torpedo your World Cup campaign if you give up a set piece goal or two. But in terms of positives, I thought they handled the German press pretty well. I thought they created transition opportunities really well. They were dangerous on set pieces, ultimately scored their low goal on set pieces. I thought it was really encouraging what they were able to do to disrupt German possession because Germany, outside of Spain, is probably the best possession team in the field, so that was really encouraging.
Speaker 4: I was kind of like, wait a second.
Speaker 5: You know, if you're an hour in and you know XG was pretty even at that point, and you're like, hey, they're they're right there with Germany. Yes, they're they're down. They end up losing the game, But in terms of quality of chances created, I felt like, hey, they don't look that much worse.
Speaker 2: Now. What would you say, is the well is there a negative that you wanted to mention?
Speaker 5: Probably yeah, the set piece defending, Yeah, that's always a scary thing.
Speaker 4: But again, their best defender didn't play, and so.
Speaker 5: I think, you know, there's been a lot of questions in the last couple of days. Okay, how much has of their defensive fragility has been a Potchatino tactical issue versus just like, hey, they're center backs kind of stink. Miles Robinson in particular has had a pretty tough couple of games against Senegal and against Germany.
Speaker 4: He's not going to play.
Speaker 5: If Richards is healthy, and so we have our back line now. It looks like Chris Richards, Tim Reim who is aging, but they still rely on his passing, and then Alex Freeman, who's a younger guy who has a ton of range and who can kind of cover more grounds. So that looks like the back three, and then they've got the It enables the wing backs the to be more aggressive, and I think that's probably the best way for the US to take take the World Cup this week.
Speaker 2: Well, Pochettino, you mentioned his name is probably gonna be said a lot, especially if the Ben's national.
Speaker 1: Team fails out. That's just to me, that's what it always seems like. The coach gets blamed. Yeah, probably way too much. But what is one major tactical change is the identity of this team going to be different under him? Like what are what can fans or casual fans expect to see under Pachettino.
Speaker 5: You know, it's funny because I think one big criticism that people have had about this US generation versus the past has been that they are a little soft.
Speaker 4: They aren't feisty enough.
Speaker 5: They aren't willing to get their feet dirty, get their hands dirty, and get into the mud and fight and scrap and get stuck.
Speaker 4: In, as they say in soccer.
Speaker 5: And I got the sense in the games against Senegal in Germany that you could see a changing of the guard with that, And that is a Pachccino staple when you go back and watch the peak Pachccino teams Southampton at Spurs early Chelsea days, not quite PSG because he didn't have the personnel. They were known for their pressing intensity off the ball. They worked really hard, they're willing to get you know, put a ton of challenges in and their personnel is pretty effective at executing this. Right now in the sense that Malik Tillman is the one of their attacking midfielders. He was the most active presser in the Bundesliga this year, one of the most for bayer Leverkusen. He had the most ball recoveries in the match, He had a ton of tackles. His ability to you know, knick the ball off defenders, harry defenders, create turnovers. That is a huge asset that the US didn't really have, you know, four years ago or even two years ago.
Speaker 4: At the COPA.
Speaker 5: Wes McKenney has kind of been freed up and he's been really effective at pressing.
Speaker 4: So I think people.
Speaker 5: Want more energy and with Robinson, Jedi, Robinson, with McKenny, with Tilman, you're seeing that energy difference in their ability to press, teams create chances off of that as opposed to just the slow meander build up that kind of Burhalter haters often criticized them for.
Speaker 6: My question would mostly be Paraguay first match, even first half, Like a fan that's watching that game, what are you looking for? What's like something that the US could be doing or maybe not doing? First half, first bit of the match where you're like, maybe they're in the right direction even if it's nil nil.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it's how much are Jedi, Robinson the left wing back, and Serginio Desk the right wing back, able to get into dangerous areas with the ball at their feet or in the case of Desk, kind of like running into that back post area to get on the end of chance.
Speaker 4: It's like he likes to do.
Speaker 5: He scored a goal against Senegal and almost scored against Germany as well.
Speaker 4: The difference between four years.
Speaker 5: Ago in this team is that they played it back four in Qatar and Desk kind of got exposed defensively.
Speaker 4: If you go back and watch the Dutch game they lost three to one.
Speaker 5: There were multiple times where the Dutch realized that his positioning, his defensive instan are not great and he was sitting as the loan right back and he was out of position and led to two of the three goals for the Dutch in transition complete breakdowns. Right this formation change the back three with Freeman and rich and Richard's assuming and reim that enables less defensive responsibility for Dust and for Robinson, so they're able to.
Speaker 4: Get forward more.
Speaker 5: And really so much of the US trance creation is going to come from wide, So if those two players are in dangerous areas consistently, that is what you're saying, Okay, this is going well for the United States because they still have they don't have a ton of passing quality, Like their midfielders are mostly dribblers.
Speaker 4: They need to create from wide most of the time.
Speaker 5: And I think that's where you're going to want to see those two players getting the most involved as early as possible. And dest you know, to his credit, that's his best skill. You know, he's he should have more touches in the other penalty area than he does in hours and that means something's going well well.
Speaker 2: Nance would something going wrong?
Speaker 1: It would you would agree that it would be an abject disaster if the US didn't qualify from their group.
Speaker 4: Right, eighty six percent is my number?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think got DraftKings there minus seven point fifty Evan correct me if I'm wrong to qualify from the group. So it's taking a step back a little bit. You want to just tell us third for the casual fans, a thirty second outlook. Maybe on each of the other teams, like are we are people maybe underrating some of the other teams in their group. Maybe maybe it might not be as easy as something but Turkey, Paraguay Australia.
Speaker 2: Who are you worried about the most who might be a little underrated?
Speaker 5: Yeah, The most talented of the three is certainly Turkey. They made it to the quarterfinals of the Euros. They play a very open attacking style where you're not really sure if they're always going to defend, but they have a ton of good passers in their team, most notably Artegoulair, who just had a breakout season for Real Madrid this year, and he's one of the best passers, pure chance creators in all of Europe. Right, So there aren't a ton of really dynamic, elite attacking players in this group in general, and I think that's the kind of thing where you're like, oh, you know, can the US defense hold up against players that good? Well, Gulare and like maybe the Turkish have a couple guys, but there's not a lot here. Paraguay's best player, Julio and Siso, went off with an injury in their sendoff match in Paraguay last week. Looks like he might miss this game based on how severe that was. So No and Ciso right, Paraguay as a team that's probably greater than the sum of their parts, but is considerably less talented the United States. They're very physical, good defensive press. They're gonna be tough to break down. I think I think it could be an ugly start for the US in terms of just like the quality of play, because we still don't really know what the US looks like when they're under Paccino with all their best players, when they're playing a team whose primary goal is to defend.
Speaker 4: And Australia, you.
Speaker 5: Know, I think they're clearly the weakest team in this group. Some of the metrics like the ELO and the world rankings, like Australia, I'm not there. I mean, they're pretty middling, a Asian team who had pretty middling results at the last World Cup, and so like their Asian Cup results have been just fine too, Like, I don't see a ton of upside there.
Speaker 4: I think their best.
Speaker 5: Teams were three or four years ago, and a lot of their pig players have kind of aged out of their primes. So I see them as the weakest team in the group. But really, like three points and you're going through, just win one.
Speaker 4: That's all it really comes down to.
Speaker 6: Do you like the fact that we open up with Paraguay and then Australia and have to close with the hardest team, Like, does that actually matter for the US in terms of order of matches? Because I kind of looked at it and said that that's a decent spot to be in, to have to face that hardest team last. Maybe you ease into it, maybe you win a two to one, a three to one, something like that, and you know, good start to the tournament. I kind of like that for the US versus having to maybe face Turkey to start.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think the biggest question is just how much are team's going all in on that third game. If let's say the US is on four points or six points and they've already qualified, things have going really well. They get a win and a draw or two wins even, and they're playing Turkey and it's like, okay, they can play for the.
Speaker 4: Group or they can rest. Yeah, how do teams like how does France approach that? How does Spain approach that?
Speaker 5: Because most likely, you know, teams like Spain and England they're gonna have six points and be comfortable there and not too worried about not advancing. They're already have clinched their spot. And it's like, do you want to play the bracket game theory, especially if you're in an earlier group. You really can't play the bracket game theory because you don't know how the rest of the bracket's.
Speaker 4: Gonna play out.
Speaker 5: Because there's twelve groups and all these third place teams, there's not that much of a difference for the US in terms of first round of the knockout team opponent quality if they finish first or second. If they finish second, they'll get the runner up from a pre week group, most likely Egypt or Iran, not that high on either team. If they finish first, they're gonna get some third place team, which does open up some land mines. Like I think there are most certainly going to be third place teams that are better than Egypt than Iran that up in this field just because of you know, like an Ivory Coast or a Senegal or an Ecuador or or maybe even Norway could come in third, right, Like, there's gonna be some really good third and inevitably somebody will slip up. So when you get to the end of that group, the number one thing, and I think, like, what's the bear case for the United States? We have seen this Golden Generation stunt because they've all been injured so much.
Speaker 1: Is the depth for the US like very very shaky because that's where the time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it is, like they have fastened this system. We talk about the back three with the wingbacks, Well, guess what if either wing back gets hurt, that's a problem. I mean, like Tim Way, I can fill in. He would be fine on the right, but like on the left, not a great option there. They'd be starting, you know, like Max Arson, who's an MLS regular. If Adams gets hurt, they have no replacement for him in defensive midfield. He does so much work defensively for them. If McKenny goes down and then you're playing somebody out of position next to Adams, if you know, if Baaligan goes down, that would be a big downgrade. If Polis sick. Of course, if polist It goes down, he's their best player. So you're looking around like there's not the only position they have depth is like the attacking midfield area central midfielders, where they have a lot of guys who are similar Aaronson rolled on Tillman. You're like, okay, maybe they could make that work. But wingbacks defensive midfield. Certainly if Chris Richards went down, like, there's not a ton of depth here to trust to execute the system that Patch is put in place. It's like, we have our fourteen guys and we feel very good about those, better than we've ever felt. And then if one or two or three go down, this falls apart.
Speaker 2: Talk to us about the goalkeeping situation, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Probably the probably the biggest red flag. You know, Sarah Tubby was talking about this. He said, this is the first time since nineteen ninety we don't know really who the number one is. We think it's gonna be Matt Freeze. On Friday night, he started against Germany. Matt Turner started against Senegal. Both guys have had their moments. Turner's moments happened to be three or four years ago at this point. He kind of peeked right around twenty twenty two. He used to be one of the best shot stoppers in MLS and that has not been the case the last few years. Both guys, regardless of who they start, do you have trouble with their feet with distribution. So if they play a team that's really pressing them, how much are they going to go back to the keeper. You saw a couple of times in the game against Germany where I thought they were going to go back to the keeper and they said, Nope, we're gonna go and kick it long, or we're gonna try to play up the wing and connect with pool as sick as opposed to try to cycle through our goalkeeper because we don't really trust him.
Speaker 4: There was one moment against Germany.
Speaker 5: Where he got pressed by Kai Havertz and he played a pretty bad pass that went straight out of bounds.
Speaker 4: Really, it's like, can they avoid disaster?
Speaker 5: Can you just do the job shot stopping and have a game where we're not talking about you.
Speaker 4: That's the main goal.
Speaker 5: However, like if you get into the round of sixteen or quarterfinals, you're probably just gonna need your goalie to make a big saver three against better teams.
Speaker 4: I'm not confident in he was in terms of that.
Speaker 6: My one question was more opening it up a little bit, so USA, Canada, Mexico all open up over the weekend. Obviously, hosts in their own different ways. We've seen pretty good success in opening match. I believe only one host has actually lost the opener. Like, where where do you see any vulnerability if you had to pick between so USA, Paraguay, Canada, Bosnia and Mexico South Africa.
Speaker 7: Any thoughts there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the soccer hipsters and the tacticos kind of like this Bosnia team, oh wow. And I think that it's very interesting because Bosnia does not hide what they are. I mean, the Bosnian coach before they played Italy in their World Cup qualifying match the final playoff said we are going to park the bus, and they did and Italy could not effectively.
Speaker 4: Break them down.
Speaker 5: Then there was a red card which Bosnia generated because they were able to get out and transition with their wingers and kind of expose the.
Speaker 4: Italian back line a little bit.
Speaker 5: Then they're up one nil and they're you know, really going to be like, oh, how how are we coming back? He got you know, the one goal, They got the game back, but then they you know, lost in the shootout. If Bosnia can do that again, you know, Canada is the chaos agent soccer team. They don't want control, They want the games to be as phrenetic as possible. Jesse Marsh, the manager for Canada, an American who has done a lot of shit talking about the federation. He's a little bit sour grapes that he didn't get offered the job when it became open. He is known for his pressing and his his his energetic teams. But how do they do when they're a favorite against a team who is sitting in Do they have the passers?
Speaker 4: Do they have the quality? I actually don't think so.
Speaker 5: So I think the Bosnians are decently live to make that just like an ugly game. And you know, of course home home field advantage is huge in these environments. But I think the Bosnians have two really good wingers, a really good defensive setup and a lot of times international soccer, that's.
Speaker 6: Enough Canada minus a thousand to qualify. So it would be a bad y.
Speaker 5: I mean the group stinks, right guitar is worst team in the field. So like even if Canada lot like you would, you would think they'd be fine there, Uh, I think so?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Well so so Haiti Haiti is a tricky one because they have recently recruited two French nationals of Haitian descent play in the Premier League.
Speaker 4: So like Wi Wilson and Isidor.
Speaker 5: And uh and Jean Richner Bella guard like those are like Premier League regulars who wons a midfielder and one scored nine goals for someone this year. So like those are like real players who are really good and make them probably marginally better than like a New Zealand, a Kirasau and a Qatar. They did just beat New Zealand four non a friendly, so like I mean, like Haiti is not going to advance, I don't think, but I mean I wouldn't shock me if they gave Scotland a game. I think like Brazil could beat them by four, but I think they could be decent.
Speaker 2: And it doesn't matter if they're on the road because they don't play at home.
Speaker 4: They don't get home games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the coach has never been in the country, right, Yes, that's which is pretty much.
Speaker 2: But back to you know, seventeen, What would you say is a success? A two part question? What does a successful World Cup look like? And then what does a realistic ceiling?
Speaker 5: Yeah, realistic ceiling is probably like a quarterfinal, you know, Like I don't know, I'm doing my US work up rankings.
Speaker 4: I look at my numbers.
Speaker 5: Now I have them eighteenth, So like Pars should probably be the round of sixteen.
Speaker 4: They got a pretty manageable group.
Speaker 5: They should get out of the group, they're gonna probably be marginally better than their team they play in the round of thirty two, so they'd make them a favorite against most teams they would get drawn against, unless something crazy happens. I mean, I guess like Belgium could slip up and all of a sudden, they're playing Belgium in the round of thirty two.
Speaker 4: They would be a slight dog there at home.
Speaker 5: But then they get to the round of sixteen, like most likely gonna play a Belgium caliber team or maybe in Argentina, depending on how the draw breaks, then they'd be dogs. Right, So like most likely unless they get a fortune to draw, they're going to be an underdog in the round of sixteen. That's kind of been the ceiling for this team. You go and look at the past World Cups. Twenty fourteen, they lost in the round of sixteen to a better team Belgium. You know, they almost won, almost stole it late, but like they were outplayed pretty comfortably by Belgium. Twenty twenty two, the Dutch were a better team. That game was actually relatively competitive, but the Dutch were more clinical. They went through better team twenty ten probably their best chance. They lose to Ghana in extra time. That was a tough one, but again pretty comparable Ghana team. And then in two thousand and two they got to play in Mexico, they had the famous dos a zero win.
Speaker 4: They get to the quarterfinals and almost make the Semis.
Speaker 5: So like, that's just kind of what this team has been and I don't think it's a failure.
Speaker 4: If the eighteenth best.
Speaker 5: Team in the world makes it to the round of sixteen and then loses to a better team, could they pull an upset?
Speaker 4: I don't know. They're like a fun transition team.
Speaker 5: But do you trust the goalie the defense not really so that that becomes a problem when it gets down to the to playing the big boys in the big rounds.
Speaker 6: Yeah, on DraftKings, they're plus one ten to reach the round to sixteen the last sixteen and plus two seventy five to reach the quarterfinals.
Speaker 4: So cars is round to sixteen.
Speaker 1: Yeaheah, Well, if I told you after the terms that they made the Semis, that made the Semis, but you didn't get to watch, what would you say had to have happened?
Speaker 2: Is it basically just like because.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of luck in variance and oh yeah, this format is that, Like, so, what would you have thought may have happened?
Speaker 2: They just got a lucky draw or was it something with the team?
Speaker 4: The draw probably broke for them pretty well.
Speaker 2: You know, I mean, like and they stayed healthy.
Speaker 5: Then they stayed healthy, and Polistic had the tournament of his life, the tournament we've been waiting for, you know, I think that's kind of the one big thing.
Speaker 4: And he's had a very weird club year.
Speaker 5: Like you go look at pulistics numbers in twenty twenty six and twenty twenty five. Like so the five six season, the first half of the year from Malani was a superstar, scoring goals, one of the first names in the team sheet. Second half of the season since the calendar year, he didn't score a single goal in the second half of the season. He had some injuries, he fell out a favor for a bit, But if you look at the underlying numbers, like the chance creation that passes into the box, touches in the box, expected goals, expected assists, they were all right in line with what we expected. And pull Us Given commented on this where he said, I feel like I've played well. Like the goals haven't come, but I feel like I've played well, and I thought against Germany you saw two things.
Speaker 4: One just how important he is to this team.
Speaker 5: He is coming short, he's picking up the ball in their own half, turning and running at people, passing for others. And then you also saw there were a few transition moments where it's like him and Baligan were kind of out of sink, and I think that's a really thing they need to fix. Baligan is so good in transition. He is such a natural mover. He's the best striker I think the US has ever had. Ballagan and Pool us sick fix that link. This is a really dangerous transition attacking team. That's where you're like, WHOA, maybe they maybe they go beat Belgium. Like Belgium's defense kind of stinks, they'd be very vulnerable against a good US team.
Speaker 4: So I think that's where this goes.
Speaker 2: Got it now. We talked last week, and I don't know.
Speaker 1: If you've decided yet, but we were saying that we were comparing this there's a lot of parallels to the NCAA Tournament right in college basketball, where a sixteen seeds not gonna win it. You pretty much have a handful of teams that you know one of the winners is probably gonna come from what six or seven you would say, or the realistic choices to actually win this. So do you want to walk us through who you think those teams are and who you've decided on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So there's only seven nations in this tournament that have ever won the World Cup, and six of the seven are at the top of the odds board. Like this is a tournament that like, yeah, Morocco can make a semi, Korea can make a semi, Like we've seen those kind of runs before, or Aguay, I mean they've won it before. But in modern times, the Dutch have been to the finals a bunch, but only seven teams have won it and they are you know, Spain, France, England, Argentina, Brazil, Germany and then Uruguay way back when. So we kind of have a feeling that like that will be your list of teams that win it, and like one day there will be an upset. But when I look at like who's in that next tier and then the team that everybody.
Speaker 4: Jumps to is the Dutch, it's like, oh, you know the Dutch. I don't like the Dutch at all. I think I think they're pretty overrated.
Speaker 5: I think they have major defensive issues despite the names on the sheet being good.
Speaker 4: I tweeted this morning.
Speaker 5: A lot of people keep saying, and I think it's been like a conventional wisdom that the Dutch have one of the best defense at the tournament. That is like a classic tell that you haven't actually paid attention to the Dutch. And then just like looked at the roster. They give up eight goals to Spain and Germany in four matches. They haven't kept a clean sheet in the Nations League in the last two years. They gave up three goals to Austria, two goals to Turkey.
Speaker 4: Like that.
Speaker 5: Has not been a good defensive team for multiple years. Despite the personnel. The midfield's very athletically limited. They can't really pass. Like I'm throwing the Dutch out and I'm like, you know, there's your Ecuadors, your Moroccos, your Belgium's kind of in that Norway like the trendy dark horse team.
Speaker 4: But those teams never win.
Speaker 5: You need so many breaks to go your way, you need so many upsets to pull. I mean, Morocco literally beat Belgium, Spain and Portugal just to make the Semis crazy.
Speaker 4: They ran into France.
Speaker 5: It's like, okay, well yeah, I mean you're eventually gonna not keep pulling that off.
Speaker 7: So I guess my question would be the one like where's that line? Right?
Speaker 6: So even if you're looking at teams, you know you want to sprinkle around, Like there's some fun markets on DraftKings where you can bet like double chance. Like if I wanted to combine two teams together. Obviously you don't want to combine in Spain in England because then you're there's no point in that. But I'm talking about like a Morocco, a team that's like a little bit out of that range.
Speaker 7: Like, is there anybody you'd even consider? No, that's it.
Speaker 4: How many teams? How many teams could win this?
Speaker 5: You know, I'm probably gonna regret saying this, Like Brazil and Portugal are the two teams to me that people are gonna pick and bet money on, and they're both short of ten to one. I could not have less interest in either, and like maybe they'll do it and make me look dumb. I could not have less interest in either I think I think Brazil this is the least talented Brazil.
Speaker 4: Team of my life. I'm like pretty confident of that.
Speaker 5: You know, you look at twenty eighteen and twenty twenty two, the last two World Cups, Brazil was unquestionably a top three roster. They lost in the quarterfinals of both in upsets, one to Belgium, won to Croatia. If you looked, if you rewatched those matches, if you looked at the stats, you'd.
Speaker 4: Be like, how the hell did Brazil lose this game?
Speaker 5: You know, they lost one in a shootout, one on a couple of transition attacks they couldn't finish a chance courtwaisted on his head for Belgium, and you came away being like, Okay, yeah, like Brazil lost, but like they kind of got sockered and they ran ran into a hot goalie or or some hot finishing and I lost a shootout like that happens. You go into this World Cup and really this is true since that World Cup neymar towards ACL. In twenty twenty three, Brazil finished fifth in South American World Cup qualifying, behind Columbia, Uruguay, Ecuador, and Argentina. Their underline numbers were like fourth. They went to the Copa America in twenty twenty four, No Neymar. They won one of their four matches. They tied Costa Rica, they tied Columbia, they lost to Uruguay, and they beat Paraguay that was their KOPA.
Speaker 4: And then again, yeah, like I said.
Speaker 5: They were bad and qualifying, and then now Naymar is already hurt, Rodrigo's hurt, he's out, Esteval He's out. So you're looking around like, okay, yeah, yeah, Brazil is probably the sexy pick, the trendy pick, their attack, like their striker is probably going to be Endric, who's nineteen and has had a very inconsistent club run. Here they have two elite wingers, Venetias and Rafina.
Speaker 4: Other than that, you're like, I don't know, they're pretty.
Speaker 5: Good, but there's no I don't see a ceiling for Brazil in terms of like winning this whole thing. And then Portugal's got the Ronaldo situation, which I think is it's a fascinating thing developing where they relied so much on him for qualifying against the minnos. He's scored a lot of goals, but we have seen now at the last two international tournaments.
Speaker 4: They are funneling their entire attack around this guy.
Speaker 5: Crosses, free kicks, penalties, set pieces. Everything is funnel to like how can we get Ronaldo involved? And it's like they have them, they have an incredible midfield, and you're you're still running your whole attack through forty one year old Christiano who can't really play a full ninety, who would be a great super sub, but they're they're starting.
Speaker 4: Him and he doesn't defend or do any work out of possession.
Speaker 5: So when they don't have the ball, they're playing with ten men and it's like, oh, this is not good.
Speaker 4: I don't think you can win a World Cup playing like that.
Speaker 5: So I think Portugal for me is like I'll regret this, but they're a cross off.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so that was like the Lakers without Luca.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sort of.
Speaker 1: So we're down to what you've always been in file. We're down to Italy. I mean not Italy. I should mention Italy has they have they're not in the in the field. I think they've won it three or four times. But so now we're down to France, Spain, England.
Speaker 2: Who am I missing that?
Speaker 4: Starting in Germany?
Speaker 7: Germany?
Speaker 1: Okay, so you do think, do you do think Argentina is worth considering or you could say I.
Speaker 4: Think they have to be. I think their defense is still really elite.
Speaker 5: Now, the story of Argentina is they just took the same team and just ran it back four years later. So like, how many times have we seen that go bad?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 5: Like you could be like, well, you know, Messi is four years older. He put on a generational performance at the last World Cup. Odds are he will not do that again. So where does their chance creation come from? Their defense and their midfield still look very good to me. But and they have two good strikers. The depth is good. They have a couple of young guys that are like on the verge of breaking through. I'm not sure they're ready to break through yet. So I have Argentina and Germany kind of in that next tier behind the top three. Argentina like, if Messi is close to his best, they're gonna be really tough out. I think they're gonna be on the easier half of the bracket. They're probably gonna be on England's half and opposite France, Spain and Germany, which, like if all five were to win their group France plays Germany around to sixteen, they could play Spain in the Semis.
Speaker 4: Argentina would be on.
Speaker 5: The half with with Ortugal and England, so like that would be the weaker quote unquote half in my opinion. But you could also see where this goes wrong, maybe not in the group stage. Like Argentina's group is like an Austria team that won't be able to press them. They're too good passing. Algeria's good defense, but like they're not scoring on Argentina. So you're like, all right, they're not gonna have trouble in the group. But you could see that, especially with an aging team. They get deeper in the tournament, did they run out of gas in the heat?
Speaker 4: You know, it could be tough.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 7: We were like, what are you doing?
Speaker 5: So I'm picking Spain, you know, I came, I came back, and I went back and forth on this, and like, France has so much talent and if you're just naming guys, you're like, yeah, France, France.
Speaker 7: Of course.
Speaker 5: France has played Spain twice each of the last two summers, in the semifinals at the Euro twenty twenty four and in the semifinals of the Nations League, and Spain was clearly better in both. So if you're going head to head and you're telling me Lemina Mall is healthy, which by the time these two teams would play, he should be, how do you not pick Spain. Spain's possession structures are better, Spain's midfield is better, Spain's defense is comparable. I think I think all of that leads to Spain being having the edge. Certainly, again, if you're just drafting attackers, you're taking Hibape, Den Ballet and then Jamal, but then like the next four guys might be French, but Rodri, Pedri and Fabian Ruiz is like if you were conducting like building the perfect midfield in a lab, it would be those three guys in some form of Pedri's passing, Rodri's defense, Fabian Ruiz's movement. He gets in the box a lot, he scores goals, He's great at finishing from outside the box. Those three guys are so great and they have dominated the last two summers to a large degree. I mean, Spain lost the shootout to Portugal in the Nation's League final, but they are such a tough team and I think if Jamal weren't you know, missing the first two games which they won't need him for against Saudi Arabia and what is it was Bekistan? They're not gonna need him for those games, or I think it is us Bekkistan, then I need him for those games.
Speaker 4: But they're gonna have him for the business end.
Speaker 5: And you know, I think this could be the summer another summer of le mean, remember the summer of Spain.
Speaker 6: And it looks like they would get Austria potentially in the around the thirty two one h versus two j So that would be not I mean, it'd be crazy if it was Argentina.
Speaker 4: It could be Argentina.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, that would be absolutely nuts. But that's an interesting path.
Speaker 2: And France could play Germany early.
Speaker 5: So if France and Germany both win their groups, they will play in the round of sixteen on July fourth in our and below up city at Philadelphia stuck.
Speaker 4: Well, it should be a great game, would be trench warfare.
Speaker 2: Well, you mentioned Philadelphia or beloved Philadelphia. July could be hot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one of the reasons you think could call out some issues for England or how are you thinking about the weather.
Speaker 5: The weather is so tough I mean England, Like the semi finals of the tournament are played indoors, you know, and you're like looking around, You're like, okay, England could play, and this is the game. I think everybody's like, oh, England got screwed. So if the draws all break the way we think they will, and I do think Mexico will win its group.
Speaker 4: I do think England will win its group.
Speaker 5: If they both win their first game, then all of a sudden, it's on July third, England at Mexico in a Stadios Teca at elevation, in the heat, Like you you can already picture how that could go. But then again, like England is so freaking good defensively and so much more superior talent wise, like England, And if you're a Premier League fan and you're listening to this podcast, England is arsenal. They have the slowest build up in the in the tournament, they have long possessions, they play a pretty boring brand of soccer. They're defensively elite. They rely on set pieces. You can't totally heat proof yourself. But if you were building a team that was like, hey, we're just like not going to overly exert ourselves and we're going to dominate in ways that don't require us to.
Speaker 4: Just run all over the place all the time. That would be what England is.
Speaker 5: And they have Harry Kane and they have I think enough attacking, like they're more.
Speaker 4: Balanced than they were two years ago.
Speaker 5: And England again as ugly as they were at the last two tournaments with no comprehensive tactics, still made the Euro Final in twenty twenty four and twenty twenty one, lost a close game to France at the at the year, at the World Cup in twenty twenty two, and have like barely conceded a goal in qualifying. They were they were getting up less than four intensive and expected goal per match in qualifying and I know the group sucked, but still it's like the water is shut off. So England could get could get soccered, right, they could lose a shootout and it'd be like, yep, close to England. I'm going to have England in my final, got it over England. A rematch of the.
Speaker 6: Year England to bring it home in the US would be just it would be crazy level.
Speaker 7: That would be the next level.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get to some fun questions. I'm curious this will kind of speak to your thoughts on the state of US Versus Italian soccer.
Speaker 2: Right now.
Speaker 1: If I had a crystal ball and I said, I know the next I know every single World Cup winner for the next two hundred years, you get a million dollars if you get this question right, or nothing if you get it wrong. Who will win the next World Cup? Is it Italy winning their fifth or the US winning their first over the next two hundred years, or does neither win it? Which one are you choosing? Three million dollars? You get it right, I know the winners for the next two hundred years.
Speaker 4: The United States?
Speaker 1: Wow, Wow, let's speak more to where Italy is or where the US potentially ascending.
Speaker 7: Yes, I mean, I think.
Speaker 5: It's so tough because this is the debate that happens every four years. It's like, well, what of our best athletes played soccer?
Speaker 4: And like it's it's kind of misguided.
Speaker 5: But it's also true that if the US had a system that could identify players at a young age and I'm talking like six, not like twelve, like six, and get them to learn the skills that are required, soccer is not an athleticism sport as much as the skills sport, and like, there have been studies that have been shown that like seven to twelve are like the most important years of your soccer development in terms of touch and ability to just like handle the ball and like foot coordination, whereas like, you know, how many times have we seen like these NBA players who like didn't pick up basketball until they were thirteen or football player.
Speaker 1: Because there's a lot of studies that say, for the main sports in the US, right, baseball, basketball, football, there's a lot of studies that say, you play a bunch of sports until high school, then you specialize. So you're saying the structure of the US sports it's not as applicable to soccer, right, right.
Speaker 5: And there's also other I mean, we could do a whole episode on like what's wrong with US soccer. It's like, you know, pay to play, the money that it costs to be good at soccer and to have your kid enrolled into like all these programs you saw or you know, stuff like that. Across the United States, there's there's a tremendous inequality and like who has access to these kind of things.
Speaker 6: Like that More and more to increase some more sports options here, like it's just more things to go into.
Speaker 7: And I mean the other funny thing is like.
Speaker 6: Messy, right, Like best soccer player in the world is like five five and looks like you know, you would never even.
Speaker 4: Never recognize him in Miami. So he recognized him in the grocery store.
Speaker 5: They were just like a guy with slip flops on getting groceries with his kids and people didn't recognize him.
Speaker 4: That would never happen.
Speaker 5: If like to a you know, an NFL player, an NBA player, right, So there's a difference there. And and look, there's not a lot of professional elite soccer players who look anything like the guys we watch on Sunday.
Speaker 4: Ah, so it's clearly not just like build the biggest, strongest human and then he's good.
Speaker 5: Like there is a guy, his name is a Doma Traore. He played in the Premier League for many years Fulham Wolves. He's been around the bend and like he looks like a jacked rugby player. He's he looks like he could play in the NFL on Sundays, but like he's he's a pretty bad crosser the ball and he's had a heavy first touches and like, yeah, you can like take a guy on every once in a while, but he's not very good at the actual skills that are required to make you an elite soccer player.
Speaker 4: So you're looking around like all right, you know, can we develop.
Speaker 5: A better younger And they have to get younger with it and it takes time, but I think, you know, Italy's been a funny spot where you know, tennis is the fastest growing sport in Italy and that's reflected on the tour. I mean know, all those Italian men are dominating, and Flavio Caboli and Arnaldi and Berrettini and of course Yannick Center. Like tennis is rapidly rising, in soccer seems to be I don't want to say fading, But it's also a matter of like Ciria's kind of broke.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of money investment there.
Speaker 5: The private equity company are trying to get involved to like save it, but they don't want the money. So there's all kinds of stuff happening in Italian soccer that I would I would probably fade them almost in the coming decades.
Speaker 1: Well, interesting question mentioned the athletes, So I was gonna ask you if you could add any one American athlete from any sport to this team. But now that you're saying like foot coordination, I mean maybe.
Speaker 7: There's so much into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like, would you would you add like, I don't know who's the most fit punter kicker? It's like Ethan Evans maybe a punter for the ramss. Uh yeah, Like do you take someone with good foot coordination? Or do I take like I take Sga to draw red cards or.
Speaker 2: Wemby as a goalie? Could that work? Right?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 2: That was that was my.
Speaker 4: Original of like, who, well, Wemby's not American.
Speaker 1: Also, oh yeah, but he could take Yeah, that's true, he wouldn't be on the all right, So who who's your answer? The US got? So obviously someone from the US plays one of the major sports here. Who would you add?
Speaker 7: You know?
Speaker 5: It's so funny because, uh, like Matt Turner. This is a perfect example of what I was saying. Right, So the American goalie Matte Turner probably be the backup, but he was a starter four years ago. Matt Turner sucks with his feet. He's always been bad with his feet. I'm pretty confidence because he didn't start playing soccer until he was fifteen, and they were like, hey, like you're pretty athletic, you have pretty long arms, you're pretty rangy, Like we should make you a goalie. You should try soccer, and then like he played college soccer and then became the US men's national team number one goalie. Is it's a totally different set of skills for the most part than outfield player. And yet like the one thing that still lags for him is like he's bad with his feet at this level, whereas like, you know, the funny joke with Manuel Neuer, who was the German goalkeeper forever and he's probably gonna be leading them with this World Cup. I think he's like almost forty now, was the joke was that he was so good with his feet that he could also play midfield if he wanted to, and like he was growing up played a lot of midfield. And then eventually they were like, hey, you're really tall, and like you should buy big goalie, and so like that is kind of like the whole thing. Now, if I did to pick one player, I mean, like this team needs a goalie, So like, find me the rangiest, most athletic, quick twitch reflex guy to just go stop a bunch of shots, like I don't know who that is.
Speaker 7: Don't make it chet home, grin anything but.
Speaker 5: Chet home, chet chet to not aggressive enough to go clim the crosses.
Speaker 4: You know he might, he might drop out, drop back.
Speaker 2: Uh. So you just want the most athletic person to play goalie?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's like a reasonable thing. Like give me long lanky. I'm trying to think what about like cat Scottie Barnes.
Speaker 5: He's got really long you know, o G Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to think of because you gotta be you gotta be quick and you'll be able to huh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like somebody like a super lanky person. Kevin Durant, Do you have any interest? Probably a little too old, but yeah, no, you.
Speaker 7: Would be great, though, they would.
Speaker 4: He would be tweeting about his teammates have done. But I think that, Uh, I think i'd go there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Brandon about Brandon Aubrey spot for him?
Speaker 2: All right? How about you and the World Cup? One? What are you doing for the game Friday? And two? Are you going to any games?
Speaker 4: I will be at so far? Friday night?
Speaker 7: Wow?
Speaker 5: Going out to La I'm gonna be doing some interview stuff and some content outside the arena with fans trying to get kind of the pulse before and after for the game. You know, Team USA at the World Cup, like these things, they'll come around very often. I think there are very few events that like truly unite this country anymore, and so I'm super excited.
Speaker 4: To see and if he can gets the ball rolling.
Speaker 5: You know, I think that they had a good World Cup four years ago, but there was not one game where you were super inspired. And I do think this team will create more than the Burhalter teams. It will be a more engaging match in all of them, especially the Turkey game. Like if if they play Turkey and both teams are kind of through and maybe both teams rotate a little, but it's kind of like, hey, we're just gonna go for this, Like it could be a really really really fun game. So I'm excited for that especially I'll be at that game. I'll be at July fourth and Philly. I think I'm gonna do July fifth of MetLife. I look around the schedule still by the really excited for the World Cup.
Speaker 7: What are you doing Friday, Stuck?
Speaker 2: What am I doing? Friday, you're watch A lot of people.
Speaker 7: Are gonna be watching. I'm sure at the bar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I'll have it on as long as i'm not I don't think of what is the day Friday.
Speaker 7: The thirteenth or something.
Speaker 1: To make sure my new born doesn't watch so he doesn't get into soccer, shield him from this. Uh, yeah, I'll probably have it on. I assume it's the dead days of summer. I mean, I I'll well, I like, I will get into it as the turn Christmas, but I'm not like I didn't have this like circle where I gotta watch it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I'll have it on as long as I'm not doing anything. Stuck, stucky.
Speaker 5: I can't believe is world his life has come to him doing a soccer podcast?
Speaker 2: Done too in the last week and then what was the other one I did in between? Was what else did we do last week? Yeah? And then I did an FBI podcast.
Speaker 4: This is what the finals?
Speaker 2: The Yeah, I mean the finals A probably gonna be over by that.
Speaker 5: That's what I was saying, like the next sweep them and then we get that over with, and then what the parade would be on Friday.
Speaker 4: The first day of the of the US.
Speaker 5: I mean they should have two parades, one parade for the Knicks and another parade when the US beats uh Paraguay.
Speaker 2: Uh. Do you have any other I talked about this last week on the podcast. Uh, you gave me Swallwell to uh.
Speaker 4: Elected governor. I think that was a good bet.
Speaker 1: We had our cl Obviously you didn't have any inside information, so we.
Speaker 2: Know that.
Speaker 7: Give us one political winner, we need one winner.
Speaker 2: Do you have any political winners right now? Anything with value for this year?
Speaker 5: I mean, I don't think Platiner is getting elected in Maine. Okay, the manors elected Collins once twice despite adverse conditions. I feel like Platner there's more, there's more skeletons in the for him, and he's kind. He's come down in the betting odds a bunch, and I'm investing in now you're now.
Speaker 2: You're handicapped eltons in the class.
Speaker 6: The parlay to come out of this podcast is going to be fantastic if we just.
Speaker 4: Eight the nominee I have money on.
Speaker 1: Uh who do I bet to win this year?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I through someone this year. Uh, but I mean it was that like what one I think?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean we're we're we're fishing in a deep pool here. I mean, if you think newsom and as to your overvalue, which I do, then like it's probably worth taking a couple of flyers in an open field. But I think as Off like he'll he'll probably win a swing state this fall. He's the favorite to do that. And then he's a really young less bagged people are gonna want younger, I think in this next cycle here to all the old people we keep electing, so uh, os off Is would be the youngest president ever. So like that's probably all against him. But he's young, charismatic, doesn't have any major scandals. Uh, and he's got in front of a camera, good on camera.
Speaker 1: So I think it's also important traits in the future as younger presence because of AI the Accountay, yeah, just being able to message that to people understand it, Like regardless of your side, in the future, I think, sure, getting younger.
Speaker 4: And guard I don't agree with it.
Speaker 5: You know, we're not gonna get in his politics, but like look at Mom Donnie in New York. It's an inspiring campaign that energized people, that got them excited, you know, I mean the groundswell and never heard a guy from nobody heard of him on November what ninth, twenty twenty four when Trump won or whatever date that was, and then a year later he was elected as mayor of New York.
Speaker 4: That's an insane thing.
Speaker 5: And like social media now makes it so much easier to do something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, State of Affilies.
Speaker 1: That got to me. They kind of missed their window. But they've been playing a lot better, still have some very good pitching on the roster, and it's baseball, like you get in. Anything can happen. But did they miss their their window here with this core or do you still have any hope for this year?
Speaker 4: Probably they missed it.
Speaker 5: But like, I'm not out, you know, I think a need another bat man, Like, go get Christian Walker, make Brice play the outfield again, do something, get another bat. If they don't get another bat, they're dead. They have three reliable hitters. You can't win a World Series with three reliable hitters. But yeah, I mean when you have Sanchez and Wheeler pitching like this with their bold pen, they are.
Speaker 4: Top five pen.
Speaker 5: Their top three starters are a top five group, maybe top one in the league. How do you not shove the chips in here now, and they've had opportunities to do it in the last couple of years they didn't do it. And now I think you're reaching the point of no return here where you have to take your chance and look like the Dodgers are mortal and everybody's like.
Speaker 4: Oh, inevitable, too good, broke baseball, But I don't know. They lost games.
Speaker 5: They came within like two inches of losing Game seven of the World Series. They and they needed to win like an eighteen inning game just to get it to a Game seven, And they lost to the Phillies on aggregate if you're keeping aggregate scores, like all those games were toss ups. They hit one ninety nine against the Phillies in that series. Like they didn't just roll the playoffs the last two years, they've had competitive games. The Padres took them to a game five two years ago. Like as good as they are, Glassdow's hurt again, Snell's hurt again.
Speaker 7: They can be beat.
Speaker 4: They could be beat baseball.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: The main question, du bundo is if Sanchez pitched it home every night, would they break the Mariners season record.
Speaker 4: I think so yes, I actually think so. Yeah. You sent me the trend on this unreal. I don't know if you know about this trend.
Speaker 7: No Sanchez at home.
Speaker 5: Just the last three years, Chris Sanchez is like thirty three and seven.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and it's not even like they're winning games. It's just he's not given to have any runs and sometimes the run sports not even there, just stupid.
Speaker 4: They win two to one.
Speaker 5: There was one game this year where he was kind of shaky and they were down five to two in the eighth and I had like Phillies minus two fifty.
Speaker 4: I lay, I'm like U mf orr And they scored four runs.
Speaker 5: In the last two innings and walked it off on nothing that's pen And I was like, Chris.
Speaker 4: Sanchez at home.
Speaker 7: It's ridiculous.
Speaker 5: But there's been theories about this, and I've talked about this. I think I even mentioned this maybe on Payoff Pitch, but I know I did it on the Ringers Philly Special.
Speaker 4: There's something about the mound at Citizens Bank Park.
Speaker 5: There's like a couple extra inches of vertical approach angle that he's getting on his pitches.
Speaker 4: The sinker and the change, they.
Speaker 5: Just dive more and like apparently, and I got this confirmed the Phillies had the mound measured because their numbers picked up on it, and something was going on weird, and like opposing scouts started asking about it. Why can nobody hit this guy's singer and change up at home?
Speaker 4: What is going on?
Speaker 5: They never found out exactly what was going on. They think it was probably just some kind of like weird quirk.
Speaker 7: Of the are you giving us the twenty twenty six wind tunnel? Like this is?
Speaker 4: It kind of feels like it's it's a weird thing.
Speaker 5: And like strikeout rate to home and like obviously he just had a month where he didn't allow any runs. So he's pitching pretty well on the road too, but like at one point last year it was a pretty big delta between home and away. So he's pitching tonight. We're recording this Monday. He's pitching tonight in Toronto. Not betting the Phillies though, because they're in Toronto.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, before we get you out of here, Tony Bunns, we got I'll put you on the spot for our DraftKings segment. Can we put together a barlay for Friday Nights match? Oh soccer, I know they're very tough.
Speaker 4: But nothing happens in the game. So what are you gonna do?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that we could bet that, We could bet nothing, we could bet drawl under. But do you think it's gonna be a little bit more wide open than.
Speaker 4: It would? Surprise me?
Speaker 5: Okay, this game, first game, I think will be the least open, just because the Paraguay is a tough defensive team and and uh, the United States still does have those questions against low. Let me, I'm pulling up the game here.
Speaker 7: Us in a shutout is like two to one, right, could do that?
Speaker 4: Can you put like shots into the STP Yeah?
Speaker 7: You count on DraftKings?
Speaker 4: Okay, let's see here, what's desk to get a shot?
Speaker 7: Where's our boy? H two five plus? Yeah, so like sergio desk shot on targets.
Speaker 4: To twenty five on target?
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, on target on target? Oh, hold on, we got shots below here? This is beautiful minus one eighty five.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we could throw that in there. Let's do it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So what is it.
Speaker 4: Us to win under three and a half desk shot?
Speaker 2: Okay? What does that pay out?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm looking at it under three and a half two seventy US money line Sergio desk one plus shot under three and a half Love.
Speaker 4: It all right?
Speaker 1: That'll be DraftKings Parlay for Friday night. The Crown is yours. That'll do it for today's episode. Make sure you check out Anthony on Twitter and at the Ringer does great work, used to do great work for us. Still a very close friend, and we'll be following the World Cup closely the whole way. There will even be there on Friday Night with some contents. Make sure you check that out. Thanks to Evan for joining me. Thanks to our producers on the back end. The Favorites will return later this week. Another episode Right in My Wheelhouse be doing college baseball with some guy named Colin Wilson, so that'll be fun. And then football previews to follow shortly there after. Big Bets on Campus will be back very very shortly. Make sure you check everything out on the Action Network YouTube page and wherever you download your favorite podcasts.
Speaker 4: Can I give a future for NFL?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What do you got?
Speaker 5: My first future we talked about the other day. Raven's under eleven and a half wins makes no sense to me.
Speaker 1: Perfect, I don't hate it. The offensive line is still struggling. There's gaps on the defense. We'll see what the coaching changes can do. The schedule's pretty easy early on, maybe they can build some momentum. But yeah, I talked about this a couple of weeks ago. It's under nothing on the Ravens, so don't hate it. But that'll do it for us once again. Our show presenting five DraftKings to the Crown is yours.
Speaker 8: Enjoy your day, we'll catch you all every in a week years.
Speaker 4: Action Network reminds you please gamble responsibly. If you or someone you care about has a gambling problem, help is available twenty four to seven at one eight hundred gambler