Speaker 1: You're listening to Facing Evil, a production of iHeartRadio and Tenderfoot TV. The views and opinions expressed in this podcast are solely those of the individuals participating in the show and do not represent those of iHeartRadio or Tenderfoot TV. This podcast contains subject matter which may not be suitable for everyone. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: Hi, everyone, welcome back to Facing Evil from Tenderfoot TV and iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: We are your host. I'm a vet GENTI.
Speaker 4: Lay and I'm Raschia Peccuerero and as always, our text and producer Trevor Young is with us.
Speaker 1: Hello, good morning, good afternoon, and good night.
Speaker 3: All the things.
Speaker 1: I don't know when people are listening to this, so just had to get all the covered.
Speaker 4: I know it could be any time of day, but they are listening.
Speaker 1: So one thing I wanted to maybe do today just before we get going, is talk about some important podcasts that are out there, you know, some of our contemporaries and some of the work they're doing. One show that is on the Tenderfoot side of things is a new true crime show called La Monstra that I think everybody should be listening to. Matt Graves who is originally from Austin, Texas like me. We bonded over this when I talked to him once. Is the host of the show. He moved to Belgium decades ago and got entwined in the story about a Belgian serial killer named Mark Dutroux. And it's a really fascinating story of a number of people who were missing and murdered in the eighties and nineties by Mark Dutroux. So it's going now and for anybody who hasn't started listening, I couldn't recommend it anymore. It's just incredible. So I wanted to throw that out there. I also want to say that we're making a show right now. It's actually the third season of a show called Thirteen Days of Halloween. It's just a fun little anthology horror story for October people. So but yeah, are are you all listening to anything? Or anything you guys wanted to talk about? So?
Speaker 4: Well, Number one, I have to tell you Trevor Vanna is obsessed with and please tell me Sola Monstra, right, that's how you pronounce it monstra. So she started down that rabbit hole because prior to you know, root of Evil and facing Evil. She hadn't ever really listened to true crime, and she realized that because she she was recently diagnosed with ADHD, that she was listening to music when she was working and she wasn't staying focused. But when she was listening to Facing Evil, she was like, maybe I should try other true crime shows because I kept sending her all these other shows because I like, you know, I'll self help and Happy Galucky shows a lot of the time. And so she started Withla Monstra and now she's listened to everything that Tenderfoot and iHeart have done together, but her favorite thus far is Atlanta Monster. Yeah. She just loves really everything you have done, Trevor.
Speaker 1: I'll have to hear that, thank you.
Speaker 2: I mean, I just have to say that I love The ten News and I know it is, you know, four children, and we are so lucky that, you know, our producer Tracy Kaplan, you.
Speaker 3: Know, is the head of that show.
Speaker 2: And my lovely niece Leilani has you know, been a correspondent.
Speaker 4: She's a tenor.
Speaker 3: She's a tenor.
Speaker 2: But I just love it because it's so informative, yes for the kids, but even for us adults. So that's what I am listening to.
Speaker 4: All right, So with all of that being said, Trevor, I would be honored if you take us through today's case.
Speaker 3: We're the cast from My Sister Sam. Now one of us is gone forever.
Speaker 5: Rebecca Schaeffer was only twenty one years old when her life was taken by a single shot from a handgun. There's a fellow here that's been here are lots of times who has a large bouquet and about a five foot teddy bear, and he's left it with us, and he wants us to deliver it to Rebecca Shaeffer. Zenka's testifies that Barto hired him to find Rebecca Shaeffer's birthdate and home address in May nineteen eighty nine, two months before the murder.
Speaker 1: Rebecca Shaeffer was a twenty one year old model and actor who was killed in Los Angeles, California, in nineteen eighty nine. She was known for roles in TV shows like My Sister Sam and the film Scenes from the Class Struggle in Beverly Hills. One person who watched her developed an obsession with Rebecca. This man attempted to meet Rebecca multiple times and even hired a private investigator to find her home address. On January nineteenth, nineteen eighty nine, that fan showed up at Rebecca's door. She politely asked him to leave, but he showed up again a few hours later. He pulled out a gun and shot her point blank in the doorway, and she died before reaching the hospital. The stalker was quickly arrested. He was convicted of first degree murder and given a life sentence without the possibility of parole. Rebecca Schaeffer is one of many women who have faced violence at the hands of a stalker, and for high profile individuals, stalkers can be particularly dangerous and difficult to manage. And so who was Rebecca Shaeffer, who was the man who murdered her? And what does the story tell us about parasocial relationships and how they often lead to dangerous situations.
Speaker 4: So that's all so much, right, I mean, every case that we talk about is so much. But when we first started looking at cases, I knew I wanted to do Rebecca Shaeffer's case because I remember being such a big fan of hers. You know, I was really young and the show she was on was all about you know, sisters. My sister Sam was one of my favorite shows when I was a kid. But I couldn't fathom how someone could just go to her home and shoot and kill her, right, And I wanted to know more. And I do remember initially like knowing all the good things that happened after that, and because of that, and that's why I wanted to to talk about it. But you know, I was thinking about stalking and about if that had ever happened to like me or Evet or you know, thankfully nothing like that has ever happened. But anytime you put yourself in the public eye, you're vulnerable, right, Yeah, And we even have, you know, sadly, we have some cyberstockers that we've had to keep it bay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everything that you said is very true.
Speaker 2: And you know, what we do know is the majority of stockings that take place in this country, they are perpetrated by someone that the victim knows.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, like an.
Speaker 2: Ex boyfriend or you know, a friend, I mean someone that they know, a coworker, yeah, someone that they know. But then there are people that are in the public eye, like Rebecca Schaeffer, and they're stalkers. They usually have no prior relationship to those that they pray upon, and yet they behave right as if they already know them, right, Like that is someone that they already have a relationship with, and they don't.
Speaker 4: That is they're infatuated with them, right m Yeah, it's a real problem, and I think that's that happens with a lot of celebrities. You know, it happened back then, it's happening now. I mean, nearly one in three women and one in six men have experienced stalking at some point in their lifetime. And that's according to the Stocking Prevention Awareness and Resource Center. And of course that behavior can range from harassment to threats to invasion of privacy two of course more serious crimes like assault or even murder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems to be potentially an even more risky thing in the age of social media. I think, yes, yeah, you know, people who are high profile are now like making their lives more accessible and visible through things like social media, and so I think people have to be even more careful now, you know, especially what kind of presence they have on Instagram or Facebook or what have you, because you know, all of a sudden, you're posting pictures of your family and your kids and your fans now know who your kids are, what inside of your house looks like, you know, all this kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they know your location. You have to be very conscious, you know, of being on social media and Russia and I have this conversation all the time and again with me. You know, it's a love hate relationship because of that. Like I just don't feel that everybody needs to know, you know, you're whereabouts at all times because of situations like this.
Speaker 4: So you know, I will say, you know, for me of course personally, like yes, I am very open on social media. But Mom gave us a really good tip years ago, especially when Facebook first started. She was like, you know, baby, just always, you know, post your location after you've left, you know. I mean, and I've had especially like right after I was on the Biggest Loser and Facebook was just kind of starting, I happened to check in somewhere and a fan you know, showed up at Red Robin where I was having a burger and like just wanted a photo. But like what if that would have been someone like Rebecca's stalker? You know, Like I'm trying to balance it, especially being a mom and having a family and all the things and my sister Evet, And I know, Trevor, you're you're much more private too, like you both teach me. Well, I'm doing my best to be open yet still you know, share and still be protected as well.
Speaker 2: But let's get back to Rebecca. I mean, we know she was so very young, and she was twenty one years old, right, Trevor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, she, much like Dominique Dunn, was very much at the beginning of her career. Dominique Dounn was another actor in Hollywood who we talked about a couple episodes ago, and you know, like Dominique, she had just started to make a name for herself on TV. Primarily I already mentioned the show My Sister Sam, which y'all had mentioned as well, which she was actually on with Pam Dauber, and that show ran for two seasons before it was canceled in nineteen eighty eight. Did either of you watch the show?
Speaker 4: I was heartbroken when it was canceled. Oh my god, I was obsessed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we totally watched this show and it was so cool because you know, it was filmed as if it was in San Francisco, you know, so to see the cable cars and all that before I'd ever come to San Francisco. Was like, you just loved it in the chemistry that they had, you know, between the two sisters.
Speaker 3: It's like Russia.
Speaker 4: We always of course, of course, yeah, but I was. I was actually really really sad when it was canceled. And I think it's because, if I remember correctly, it's because it moved to a different night, you know what I mean, Like it had a really bad, you know spot, and it was up against the facts of life, like you know, everybody loves the facts of life, so it was kind of dead in the water when it moved to a different night. But yeah, I and I just loved the chemistry between yeah, the two women on and off screen, and you know, we'll get into that more because Pam, Pam loved Rebecca. Yeah, yeah, and so funny too, like of course, you know watching my sister Sam, like I, I of course love that show. But I had no idea that Rebecca spent a bunch of time in Oregon, where my wife and I live, and she was actually born in Eugene, Oregon, near University of Oregon Go Ducks. The Schaeffer family was Jewish, and as a child, Rebecca considered become a rabbi when she grew up, before she became the famous actress that she became. She began modeling in her junior year of high school and was even featured in print ads and was also an extra in TV and film. And Eugene, Oregon is really close to Portland, Oregon, and Portland is the bigger city, so she ended up actually getting an agent in Portland, and that is where she got the acting and modeling bug, so she was working consistently, and so with her parents' permission, she ended up moving to New York to pursue her career. So she landed a small role on one of my favorite soaproppers of all time on ABC one, Life to Live. And she ended up really just more so focusing on her acting rather than her modeling because she was only five seven, So she modeled a little bit in Japan. But then once she you know, came back to the States, she realized that New York probably wasn't the best fit for her, at least for modeling, but for acting is where she knew that was her sweet spot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, totally, and she definitely, you know had the drive, you know what, you absolutely have to have in this business. And apparently, you know, everybody said that she was a spitfire and you could just look at her and tell that, you know, she just you know, when they say that, you you have it. Like she definitely had it. And she was really, you know, serious about her work. So like you said, she wasn't modeling, you know, or doing as much modeling as she would like to do because of her height. So she was off, you know, to LA to get serious and become a serious actress.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I'm not sure if she was in LA or New York when she was cast in the Woody Allen film, but she was cast in a small role in the Woody Allen movie Rado Days, but sadly, her part was mostly left on the cutting room floor. So she kind of thought that was going to be her big break, but it wasn't. But interestingly enough, her big break came from being on the cover of seventeen magazine. And I had this magazine. I looked at it. I remember seeing her bright, shining smile and her curls and her dimples. And TV producers saw her on that cover and they ended up you know, going through a whole casting and auditioning process. But that is how Rebecca Schaeffer was cast on the show. We keep talking about my sister Sam, and Pam Dabber played her sister, and you might remember Pam from.
Speaker 2: Work and Mindy as Mindy, And apparently Rebecca and Pam became really close in real life. They were almost like real life sisters, you know, in that chemistry, like you can't make that up.
Speaker 4: So the show was incredibly successful, you know, we have said so much today. We both Vet and I watched the show, absolutely loved it. But sadly, after two seasons, my sister Sam ended up getting canceled and Rebecca ended up appearing in a few more you know, movies, and I think she did some more TV movies and I think one film, but by this time she had already moved out of Pam's house and into an apartment in the Fairfax neighborhood in LA.
Speaker 1: And just to back up a little and talk about the stalker in this case, it was while Rebecca was doing My Sister Sam that she started to receive fan letters from a man named John Bardo. And he was a teenager himself, a couple of years younger than she was. He certainly wasn't her only fan, but she responded to him, writing that his letter was quote the most beautiful that she had ever received. And on this letter she drew a peace sign a heart and signed it quote with love from Rebecca. So the day Bardo received this letter, he wrote in his diary, quote, when I think of her, I would like to become famous to impress her end quote.
Speaker 4: Little did she know she was writing to the person who would one day stock and kill her.
Speaker 1: Yes, but we need to take a break, so we will talk more about that after we get back.
Speaker 4: So to catch you up. Rebecca Schaeffer was a teenager at the time while she was co starring in the popular TV show My Sister Sam, and that's when she began receiving fan letters from John Bardow. But who was John Bardow?
Speaker 1: Well? Bardo was born in nineteen seventy in Edwards, California, and he was the youngest of seven children. He allegedly had a somewhat troubled childhood and he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder at a very young age. He was institutionalized at age fifteen to treat some suppose emotional problems, and he ended up dropping out of high school not long after that point. So he was just a young teenager himself when he began to stalk a different girl named Samantha Smith, who was a well known peace activist. So Bardo went as far as taking a bus to Maine, where Smith lived, and he continued to stalk her until she tragically died in a plane crash in nineteen eighty five. Wow. But the following year, in nineteen eighty six, John Bardo found somebody new he was watching My Sister Sam and quickly developed an obsession with Rebecca on screen. He built a shrine to her in his bedroom, supposedly, and started to obsessively write letters to her. Wow.
Speaker 2: In June nineteen eighty seven, he attempted to meet Rebecca by showing up at the Warner Brothers studio where My Sister Sam was being filmed, and the studio's chief of security said that that he just thought that this guy was love struck, adding that Bardo had actually called the studio multiple times, and he also said that when he was there, he was terribly like insistent upon being let into the studio and every you know, every other word that he was saying was Rebecca. This Rebecca that, So to me, that is a red flag. If I was the security guard, I'm just saying I would have told her people, right, told her manager, told someone that, you know, this guy is there's something askew here.
Speaker 4: So I was actually watching an entire documentary on Rebecca and her life in her case, and her manager was with Rebecca on set when John Bardo was at the gate at the Warner Brothers lot, and they did call over to set and talked to the manager, not to Rebecca, and the manager just dismissed it like, oh, not a big deal, like sorry, we don't have time for that fan today, and they didn't even think about it again. So to them, it wasn't a cause for concern. But for me and I think we can all three agree, like these are all major red flags, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would definitely have to agree.
Speaker 2: You know, they just thought he was just a fan, right, a love struck fan, and ultimately, you know, they deemed him harmless and he was just escorted off of the premises.
Speaker 1: Right. Well, a few years later, that might have been different if this was happening in a different time period, because in nineteen ninety four, the Violence Against Women Act was passed, and since then, every single state has passed laws making this sort of stalking a crime, but back in nineteen eighty nine, there was no such law in existence.
Speaker 4: Sadly it is, it is so sad.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Anyway, after this particular incident, John Barto returns to Tucson, where he lives in Arizona, and once he was there, he kind of got distracted and he ended up fanning out over Debbie Gibson, Tiffany and Madonna. So he was in a pop star phase as opposed to focusing on Rebecca, right, I mean, it was it was a sign of the times. But it was later discovered that Bardo had been carrying a knife in his bag when he was trying to reach Rebecca at the studio back.
Speaker 2: In LA That's just crazy. But can't you imagine though, if he would have gotten on and he's he's got this, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And at the time, I don't know if they would have patted him down or even done a metal detector or anything like that.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, anyway, his new obsessions with you know, the pop stars didn't last very long, and in nineteen eighty nine, I think this was a really big trigger for him. He watched Rebecca's latest film at the time, and it was a movie called Scenes from a Class Struggle in Beverly Hills, and it's very different from her past work, and it's let's just say, it's truly a film for adults. It's not for a teenage mind. And it's this farcical, dark, upside downstairs comedy about rich people and their staff in Los Angeles hooking up with one another. So Bardo I think he was very triggered, and he hated the fact that there is one scene in particular where Rebecca's character has sex with someone. Okay, so he's held on to this idea that Rebecca is this innocent girl like her character and she's like not having sex, right, and he says that she's now become quote one more of the bitches of Hollywood end quote. He was so upset and so enraged that he even drew a diagram of Rebecca's body and marks spots where he planned to shoot her. And he even asked his older brother to buy him a gun, and his brother helped him buy a gun.
Speaker 1: So now John Bardo has a weapon and he just needs to locate Rebecca Schaeffer, and so he goes to the links of hiring a private investigator to retrieve her personal address, and he's able to do that pretty easily. He goes to the California Department of Motor Vehicles and at the time, all you had to do was pay four dollars for that information and basically anybody could get it.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: And so Bardow knows how to do all this, how to hire the investigator and find out where she lives, because he's right up on it and apparently it's not a huge secret. So back in nineteen eighty two, there was actually another actress named Teresa Saldana who had this stoker who stabbed her at her apartment. After that man acquired her address, pretty much going the same route, right, like hiring a private investigator and going through the DMV in this whole thing. So there's like a method to doing this, and John Bardow has learned how to do that, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's become a stoker. Well, it's like he knows he's a stocker, right, Well, he knows he knows because he's doing exactly what that stalker did to Teresa Saldana, who thankfully survived. She survived, Yeah, and she became an advocate. So John Bardo in his head he's like, wait, that's some way that I can get to Rebecca. Like does he not know that he's a psychopath?
Speaker 3: Like yeah.
Speaker 2: But the crazy thing about this is that same you know investigator, that same PI was.
Speaker 4: The same guy, right, he used the same PI.
Speaker 1: His career is helping stalkers kill people.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, how can that PI feel good about themselves? Like that's just gross. So it is, needless to say, deeply unsettling. So around this time, John Bardo apparently writes in a letter to his older sister which includes the lines quote I have an obsession with the unattainable. I have to eliminate what I cannot attain end quote. So this now us up to the morning of the crime. So that day in July of nineteen eighty nine, Rebecca was awaiting the delivery of the script for The Godfather Part three, which she's auditioning for. And this is a normal thing. Couriers come by, they ring your doorbell, they drop off the script you signed for it. It's like a total thing in Hollywood. I remember, you Bet used to get these all the time when we lived together in La Yeah. So, but this time, when Rebecca's doorbell rings, like I said, she's expecting it to be the script being dropped off, but it's not. So Instead standing there is John Bardo, so ABC News reported.
Speaker 3: Quote.
Speaker 4: When she opened the door, he showed her the card that she had sent him in response to one of his many fan letters, as well as an autographed photo of her, and told her he was her biggest fan. According to police, she politely excused herself, telling him she had to get ready for an interview. End quote. So she is kind to him. She didn't say hey, get the f out. She was nice. But this apparently pissed him off because I felt maybe he felt like he wasn't special. But anyway, he ends up leaving and he goes to a diner where he stews over this entire interaction.
Speaker 1: Right, and just a quick sidebar. An interesting detail is that John Bardo has in his bag at the moment a copy of the book Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger. And interesting parallel with that is if that's the same book that was in the possession of John Hinckley Junior, who shot Ronald Reagan as well as Mark David Chapman, who we all know shot and killed John Lennon. So John Bardo is carrying this book around as a sort of copy characters. You know you were asking about earlier, like does he know he's like a stalker slash killer And it's like very clear, like who he looks.
Speaker 3: Up to and who who idols are.
Speaker 1: I think he's like very actively putting himself in the shoes of those people, you know, in his stated goal, you know, going back from the earliest time he was exchanging letters with Rebecca Schaeffer, was to be famous like she is. And that's what a lot of stokers say, right, a lot of stocker killers. So it seems like he thought this was his path to stardom, right, this, this would make him famous by killing a star, a celebrity.
Speaker 4: And so that's exactly what John Bardo is on his way to do. So he returns to Rebecca's apartment shortly after, and he rang her doorbell again, and this time when she answers, she's annoyed, right and tells him he's wasting her time, and he then responds by withdrawing the gun that was in his waistband, and he shoots her point blank in the chest. She dies before she even reaches the hospital.
Speaker 1: Right Bardo then flees from Los Angeles, but he has found the next day stumbling through highway traffic in Tucson. Police apprehend him, and he almost immediately incriminates himself in the crime. He also claimed he was quote stunned and saddened to see on television that Shaeffer had died, which is an interesting thing to say. You know, it obviously implies that maybe he didn't intend to kill her, but you know, wanted to harm her or just be known for having tried maybe, you know. Yeah, but you know, we may never know.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, that is the case.
Speaker 2: You know, we may never know getting into the head of someone like that, you just you don't you have no clue of what they're thinking.
Speaker 3: But we do know that.
Speaker 2: It takes two years for the trial to get underway, and it's a very dramatic trial.
Speaker 1: Yes, and we will talk about that trial after we take another quick break.
Speaker 4: So in the fall of nineteen ninety one, two years after he's admitted to knocking on her door and shooting her at point blank range, John Bardow's trial for the murder of Rebecca Schaeffer begins.
Speaker 2: The prosecuting attorney is Los Angeles Deputy District Attorney Marcia Clark. And yes, that is the Marsha Clark that we all know who would later go on to be the lead prosecutor in the very famous OJ Simpson murder trial.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that OJ trial was also covered by a journalist, Dominic Dunn, who is the father of Dominique Dunn, who we talked about in a few episodes ago. So interesting connection there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely. So Bardo by this time has confessed to this crime, but he's pleaded not guilty to first degree murder, which would classify the killing as premeditated. And this leaves the prosecution with two big challenges. So first, Marcia Clark needed to prove that John Bartow acted intentionally, so that would mean at least twenty five years to life in prison, but even with this there would be the possibility of parole. So she also needed to prove that there's been a quote, special circumstance, and Marcia Clark said that in this case, that special circumstance was the fact that Barto was basically lying in wait.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So to prove this, she goes to a videotape jailhouse interview with Bardo, and in this video he describes the killing in detail, showing how he hid the gun when he knocked on the door, and in that tape he also acted out the sounds of the gun shut and Rebecca like dying and screaming.
Speaker 4: And as if that weren't enough to show that he had arrived at her apartment that day with an intent and a plan to kill her. He also revealed that the song Exit by YouTube inspired him to murder Rebecca. When the song was played in the courtroom, he actually sat there drumming along, smiling and lip syncing the lyrics. A psychiatrist who examined Bardo after his arrest did testify that Barto interpreted parts of the lyrics as literal references to himself and Rebecca Schaeffer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting. That's a thing a lot of murderers do, is they imprint on musicians and songs, you know, like they see music as being about something more personal to them than it ever actually could be. You know, I think back to Charles Manson and his obsession with things like Helter Skelter, right where he was entirely misinterpreting it to be about some personal image he had in his own head that was very narcissistic in nature, but had no basis in reality. Anyways, on October thirtieth of nineteen ninety one, John Bardo is indeed found guilty of first degree murder. He's also found guilty of the special circumstance you mentioned Russia of the lying in wait to kill Rebecca Schaeffer. So basically what this means is that he now gets a life sentence without the possibility of parole, and in fact he's still serving his life sentence today. There was actually an attempt on his life in two thousand and seven when he was stabbed repeatedly with a shive by another inmate, but he survived this and is alive today.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 4: I don't ever want anyone to die, of course, but you know, I'm happy that he does not have the option of being prolled. But I will say, like I said at the very top of the episode, I remember being so inspired by Rebecca's case because I do know that laws were changed because of the Teresa Saldama's and the Rebecca Schaefers, and one of those laws that was passed was in nineteen ninety four, the Driver's Privacy Protection Act was passed. So this is a federal law that limits the disclosure of personal information like where someone lives that you can get from state DMVs, So no one can obtain someone's home address from DMV reports the way that that private investigator that John Bardo hired did. And this law was spurred to try to ensure the safety of people like Rebecca Schaeffer who are being stocked or battered, as well as instances of anti abortion activists targeting abortion providers and patients, you know, I mean, it protects so many, yeah, and so in that way, I truly believe that there is a little bit of light in this darkness of this story. Right, things are a little bit better for those of us or those of you who experience the terror of stalking, you know, But of course the problem is sadly far from over, but it's getting better.
Speaker 2: And that brings us to our EMUA. Today's message of hope and healing goes out to all of those like Rebecca Schaeffer who have faced fear and intimidation at the hands of a stalker.
Speaker 4: Being stocked can be a very scary experience. We have to remember that stalking victims suffer much higher rates of depression, anxiety, and insomnia than others, and the advancement of technology has made the problem more acute in many ways. More than twice as many victims are stocked with technology than without. Cyber stalking and cyberbullying are sadly on the rise.
Speaker 2: And what we do know is stocking behavior is still too often portrayed as just harmless or even romantic.
Speaker 3: But it isn't.
Speaker 2: It's incredibly dangerous and it should never be considered acceptable.
Speaker 3: End of story.
Speaker 4: If you're among the estimated thirteen point five million people who are stocked in a given year, we see you, and we will continue to speak out on your behalf. When enough of us do this, it can really make a difference. We all need to use our voices for good. Onward and upward, Emua, Emua. If you or someone you know is experiencing stalking behavior, you can find tools and resources to help at www dot stokingawareness dot org. That's www dot stokingawareness dot org.
Speaker 3: Well, that is our show for today.
Speaker 2: As always, we'd love to hear what you thought about today's discussion and if there is a case that you would like us to cover, find us on social media or email us at Facingeable Pod at tenderfoot dot tv and one request. If you haven't already, please find us on iTunes and.
Speaker 4: Give us a review and a good rating. If you like what we do, your support is always cherished until next time. Aloha.
Speaker 1: Facing Evil is a production of iHeartRadio and tenderfoot TV. The show is hosted by Russia Pequerrero in a Vetchintila, Matt Frederick and Alex Williams our executive producers on behalf of iHeartRadio, with producers Trevor Young and Jesse Funk, Donald albright In Payne Lindsay our executive producers on behalf of Tenderfoot TV, alongside producer Tracy Kaplan. Our researcher is Claudia Dafrico. Original music by Makeup and Vanity Set. Find us on social media or email us at Facingevilpod at tenderfoot dot tv. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio or Tenderfoot TV, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows