Speaker 1: That's okay because no one here is.
Speaker 2: Hi, everybody, and welcome back to teen Beat, a podcast in the diversified portfolio we call the Danielle Fischer Shows. Teen Beat is where I sit with interesting people who have done interesting things to investigate their past, like I'm some sort of talky private eye.
Speaker 3: Because I know that by remembering.
Speaker 2: Yesterday, we get ready for today. Put that on a greeting card. Baby. Sure, I spent my entire adolescence on TV for the world to see, but not everyone had a hair and makeup team before a learner's permit. I see it this way. I gave you my childhood. It's time we hear yours. The term legends is thrown around quite a bit in twenty twenty six, in my opinion.
Speaker 3: A bit too much.
Speaker 2: When it comes to handing out this title of culture immortality, I think people should be a little pickier. You need decades of relevancy, a past filled with revolutionary achievements, a history of opening doors for others who may not have had the chance without you, and a bunch of bops that will find their way onto workout playlists for the next one hundred years. So make no mistake about it. My guests this week are legends. They taught us to push it, to express ourselves, and to talk about sex. They were the first ever female rap act to go gold and platinum, and alongside Queen Latifah, were the first to win a barrier breaking Grammy on a night that changed the event forever. They have sold more than fifteen million records worldwide and just last year were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. And now they are going out on the road to co headline the It's Iconic Tour alongside TLC with special guests En Vogue, be Still my Nineties, R and B Heart. It's my absolute honor to welcome to the podcast the first Ladies of Rap, Saltan Pepa Ladies. Hey, this is such an honor to be here with you. Thank you so much for sitting down with me. I'm I'm honestly starstruck, and I don't know starstruck very often, but I feel it now. I love that your legendary hip hop career, this game changing Hall of Fame rap group all started at US Sears. Yes, you both worked there as customer service reps. So first I must know what are the worst phone calls you got while they're.
Speaker 4: The hang ups, it will be the Ryl James calling from sears click because because you have to reach your Koda, so it's very important to keep them on. Very depressing is so it was so depressing. They had like charts like on display for everyone to see, and then graphs. Right, so if you made a lot of sales, your graph was up to here. And me and Pep's grass always like.
Speaker 5: We always didn't called it.
Speaker 4: We would call each other and then the supervisor walked by and then we're like, yes, that would be twenty eight dollars a month, just taking just talking about your weekend.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: And so who broke the ice? Who started talking to the other one? First?
Speaker 6: You did?
Speaker 4: I started talking to her because I used to see her in the lunch room and I was in a bit of a loudmouth and I used to be loud, loud, loud, and I used to always see her, you know, a crossing the lunchroom corner. I was quit quiet, quiet, very quiet.
Speaker 5: She ain't involved but not doing right.
Speaker 4: She's that story. Yes, my friends always adopted me, and I came over one know, like this is a good old tea, like, you know, you see this in a movie.
Speaker 5: You know, we did a movie. But I came over like like, basic, what's your deal?
Speaker 4: She was all punk rock. Yeah, that was liked blonde hair and leopard depends in my ears. We were just a total opposite total That opposite attract thing is a real thing.
Speaker 2: When she came over and said like, what's the deal, what's your story?
Speaker 4: Did you you were like I was fascinated because people don't usually like across my my quiet barrier. And she's just like, who are you? Are you only about yourself talking to anybody?
Speaker 2: Well, you guys were coincidentally also both nursing school students at the same school, but you met at sears, not at school.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we were nursing students college, but we didn't need at college, yes, and just taking the courses, the courses together together. Liberal Arts was you know, when you don't know what you want to do.
Speaker 5: That was me.
Speaker 4: And we also didn't go to class. Well I didn't go to class.
Speaker 5: I'm Jamaican. I had to do.
Speaker 4: We used to play spades in the lunch roy at at Queensboro College. Yeah, we just started like the thing about our friendship is our sense of humor. Like you know when you have a friend that you just have this warped sense of humor with totally and you just lose your mind laughing and nobody else.
Speaker 5: Joe be there exactly, that would be us.
Speaker 2: It's nice to feel seen on a whole other l No one else would be laughing at this get exactly Well this sears also had play from Kidd and Play and Martin Lawrence is the greatest I've ever heard of.
Speaker 4: Yes, it was Kid and Play at serious Martin, Martin Lawrence, all of us and our producer Herbie Yeah, and everyone had a dream and we all talked about what we were going to do and we all did it.
Speaker 2: You all did it.
Speaker 4: We always said whoever makes it first, well, you know, help out the other one. So we got put on first, and our first shows we had Martin Lawrence open up opening for us and do his comedy. So we was bringing hip hop and comedy before it's time.
Speaker 2: You guys were trailblazers every capacity.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, Well we know that it was Herbie love Bugs as Salt's boyfriend who had a school project that first got you to record the showstopper, your first ever song.
Speaker 3: Did either of you have to be convinced?
Speaker 2: Was it like, all right if we have to help you out for your first song?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I was failing miserably in school. I was like, oh, this is it for me, this is what I want to do, maybe a little different.
Speaker 5: I did not think I was going to do that at all, like at all, at all, at all.
Speaker 4: You could have told me I was gonna wrap like you knows.
Speaker 5: We knew it, we played with it, but not to make a record with it.
Speaker 4: So I wasn't thinking that, And so I had a more difficult time in the beginning with it, you know. And I love the hard work, like the what I went through, the hours in the studio, the grind like.
Speaker 5: This is and I was still going to college.
Speaker 4: Was like, you gotta quit because you know, girl, we made it.
Speaker 2: We gotta get on the row already. She's Jamaican, she's.
Speaker 5: You know, she didn't know that's right.
Speaker 4: Two tree jobs y.
Speaker 2: So this school project starts getting radio play from one of the greatest to ever do it, DJ Marley Morrow. Do you remember the first time you heard it on the air?
Speaker 6: Best moment ever?
Speaker 3: Tell me everything about it.
Speaker 6: I was driving in my dots in two ten.
Speaker 4: It has a hole in the right side passenger side, so shevel has it when it's raining and the puddle seat up up beat up ready today, but driving on you know, you're in Queens and then we've been waiting, like you know, rap music wasn't even played by an hour on Saturdays, and everyone's waiting, and then at one point we just kind of gave up, you know, like are they gonna play?
Speaker 5: I was just.
Speaker 4: Casually driving that day and then it came on the radio and I was driving. I threw that car and parked like so fast, and I screamed and.
Speaker 5: We was we was like, were on the radio, We're.
Speaker 4: On radio, jumping out the car.
Speaker 5: Was.
Speaker 2: Like, I don't care.
Speaker 5: I wanted to hear the song the car. We could actually the song.
Speaker 4: We're on the radio. Enjoy it. But that's that's like the highlight, I feel like of any artist's career for the most part at that time, right because it's it's something about the first time you know your voice is going out through the airwaves after you put in all that hard work and you hustled, and now somebody's actually playing your record on the radio. Unmatched rock and Roll Hall of Fame, that Star on the Walk Fame.
Speaker 5: I could go on to that moment. We already got show that's good.
Speaker 2: From there, buzz starts circulating. You drop out of nursing school, make the decision, you get a record deal, which uh it turns out you end up having your debut album Hot Cool and making you the first female rap group to receive both gold and platinum certification, led by the single Push It. What percentage of people do you think know that that song is about dancing.
Speaker 4: And me.
Speaker 5: At least that's what we thought.
Speaker 4: For real, people do not believe that. They're like, come on, girls, y'all knew what that song is about for interpretation, because some people thought it was saying real good. Yes, and we definitely was not.
Speaker 5: The producer we had, trust me, if he his intention was.
Speaker 4: For that, it would have been that he would have It would have been very clear. It was so organic how everything from the video to the song, how it picked up the moments, because that wasn't even the single that was being promoted. It was a B side to a song Tramp that we were actually which is say a side so you know, DJ flipped it, so everything it's just yeah, a DJ in San Francisco.
Speaker 6: I hate that.
Speaker 4: I don't remember his name. He passed away. We got to google his name, but he just started playing the record and it just took off, like no Paola, you know, no setup, no planning, Like everybody just responded to that song. And we were on tour actually, and Herbie called us and he was like, do push it in your next said yeah, put it, like what and we performed it and got the radio that is the raised performance was the video that funny.
Speaker 2: It's like radio back then was really the algorithm of its time.
Speaker 3: It's like this way was just saying, yeah, you can't predict.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can get talented people all in a room listening the same album and the one that's going to hit with the audience.
Speaker 3: Sometimes you just can't put your finger.
Speaker 4: On and as an artist, artists usually don't know right, Like we'll have a favorite song even though she is our favorite song and it was a hit, but they an artist will pick something obscure and then the audience is like, it's so close to you, close to you exactly. My son loves you. By the way, I.
Speaker 5: Just wanted to say that we look weird too. Yeah, like the biggest car. I was just telling moment.
Speaker 4: Like, I can't wait to tell him.
Speaker 5: I needed to get that out.
Speaker 4: You got your momentum to take.
Speaker 2: A picture together. So what do your families think about this now becoming your job? Did they think you were just going to end up back at nursing school or did they believe in it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, my family had a little hot time in the beginning, and I was like, no, this is it.
Speaker 5: This is good.
Speaker 4: I think this is gonna go. This is gonna go, you know, and was like, okay, I'll support you and I'm grown still, but we always have to still get permissions with each other in this like family.
Speaker 6: Again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just got I had got my first tattoo. I had to clear it with my mom.
Speaker 4: Wow at what age?
Speaker 2: No, Yeah, I just I just was like, you can be okay. She was like, I don't really like tattoos, but I'm okay with that.
Speaker 4: That's me and my daughter. But I was I'm the rebel. Tell me what to do? You listen to your used to listen to her older sisters. I feel like you listen.
Speaker 2: To your sisters.
Speaker 4: Your mother. So my parents were like her do her thing because you know, she's gonna do it anyway. We don't know what she's doing and we don't understand it.
Speaker 2: But okay, okay. Were you guys raised in musical homes? What did you listen to growing up?
Speaker 4: A lot of mold town Jim Green, A lot of reggae music, but a lot of that old soul music, all the soul music. Yeah, And my dad used to be a do whopper. He was like one of those, Like he had a group that used to be on the corner, so he always played a lot of jazz. And you know, Saturday morning cleaning, did you do that and you.
Speaker 2: Turn on the music everybody together.
Speaker 4: Yes, So we had music playing on the high fi before it was Wi Fi every Saturday, and you know, you're not you're absorbing that energy and you don't know that.
Speaker 6: It's like.
Speaker 4: The y is coming back, making the comeback. People like, yeah, funny.
Speaker 3: That like we attacked the music is.
Speaker 2: It brings so much joy into our lives, specifically from those moments where you're actually doing it to distract from mature you don't want to do. Those always end up being our favorite memories as time as a family. It's like, you know, similar to the way You don't get to pick the algorithm what's going to work. You don't get to pick the core memories. They're all they're not the things you think. They're not the big, over the top extravaganzas. There's the moments of listening to music. Cleaning on a Saturday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, those are bonding. I wish I would have raised my kids to clean on Saturdays. Good lord, Yeah, we do Sunday cleaning.
Speaker 6: You do.
Speaker 4: That's such a great.
Speaker 2: Mom Saturdays are we're you know, we're in at sports, so we got Saturday.
Speaker 3: Games and Saturday this, and on Sunday it's.
Speaker 2: Like we're going to hang out at the house. We're going to get this place off spiffy for our week.
Speaker 4: Such a good thing to teach your kids. We had. We traveled a lot, so we had nannies and housekeepers and they never learned anything.
Speaker 5: Just feel like she throws her jacket on the and then.
Speaker 4: Like that a real because it's somebody picking up and when you pay attention, Wow, I could see where that's a problem for the kid because you're on the road. So anyway, that's a whole.
Speaker 5: Other podcast, Full Kids, No, No, your.
Speaker 2: Whole class of mid eighties rappers is full of legends. Ll Cool, JKRS One Fresh, Prince Cool Mod obviously a boys club.
Speaker 3: But were you making friends and hanging out with other rappers at the time.
Speaker 4: I was, yeah, because when I got a you know, I was ended up going with.
Speaker 5: Marquis d from the Fat Boys.
Speaker 4: So he was my industry and I was new in the in the in the industry then, and so I'm looking up to him.
Speaker 5: He's already done a movie.
Speaker 4: Then, and and he's you know, with run DMC, and you're.
Speaker 5: You're on their tour. So I'm hanging with old DEENI he taking.
Speaker 2: So I'm like, oh, shoot, that's.
Speaker 6: Like that.
Speaker 5: So I got to hang for me then.
Speaker 4: That was like wow those times the run DMC, l L and Yeah. Yeah, we also had like a family within our own camp, Like we came up with Heavy D and the Boys and Kid in play Right, and those were like our boys, our cily. We were a little bit insulated, bus sharing tour buses. Yeah, it's fun.
Speaker 2: I want to jump into your third album, Black's Magic, which includes Let's talk about Sex. Nowadays, it would be hard pressed to find a female rapper who doesn't talk about sex, But back then, this was unheard of. Did anyone push back at the fearlessness of it?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, oh yeah, that's what it was supposed to do.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Note, He'm gonna play this on the radio. That's a little conversation we had in the beginning of the song, knowing that it would be some conish, but the song is about being responsible, being aware, having the conversation. But most people don't listen to lyrics sadly, and so we've had parents come up to us and say, oh, we thought you were great role models and da da da da, and we're like, did you listen to this?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 4: So it actually took on a life of its own. Also eventually became like the anthem for sexual awareness classes in college. We turned Let's Talk about Sext's assay called Let's Talk about AIDS. Peter Jennings played it on his special and so Salt and Pepper kind of like at a time when it wasn't popular to be an advocate for HIV and AIDS awareness, we were outside talking about it because we were actually like, man, it's serious.
Speaker 5: Yeah, separation in the industry, and I want to know about the dudes under don't.
Speaker 4: I used to talk to my little sister. I'll be like, girl, don't be out here messing around. You gotta make sure he wrapped that thing up. So yeah, we kind of led the charge in that, and then a lot of organizations like Life Beat it was a gay men's health crisis, like we just became their baby, you know, and they just adopted us to do all the stuff.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, because they have so much fear mongering at the time.
Speaker 2: It's not a lot of direct education. Yes, and so to be able to put direct education in a song that people can just mauve along to and know the words, it's like you're so ahead of your time in so many different ways. Well, then the next album, nineteen ninety three's Very Necessary just has hit after hit after hit after hit. It has sold more than seven million copies worldwide. You want a Grammy sharing the honor of first female rap act to win the award with Queen Latifah. Did it feel special when you were recording it.
Speaker 4: I have to say it felt amazing because of the timing of that album. Uh, we were just waking up, like in terms of like trying to figure out our rights and things like that.
Speaker 5: We should be getting more.
Speaker 4: We're doing so much we're selling with this and that and just out of you know, it's like I said, Timm, it was mc hammer's brother because at the time they said this is how much you get. Only Michael Jackson could get this kind of points. Like we're like, oh, okay and.
Speaker 5: Michael Jackson, so we don't talk about that's it sure, And I never forget mc hammer brother. Louis Barrell.
Speaker 4: We're discussing and I was telling them the points we get and what we're selling. He was like, you this, this, this, this, go back and tell him you you need this and I said, no, they're going to say this. He said, you tell them you need this and don't take no finansa And I was like okay, and talk to Saul and we went in like this this, you know, this is what we're gonna yes if they're not fair and we're standing our crowd, right, and then I have to the song came up with a shoot right, I had just me so I'm like the dog Dog Dog. We cannot put pepper song first on an album, like you know, the labels was calling Herbie like what's this? You know, like, no, we can't do that, but you know it ended up being undeniable. But people were like, Yo, this is a song, this is a single, let's go. It's no song I wrote, and we was like, let's go.
Speaker 5: I produced it, and we was like.
Speaker 4: We did it all the above. We changed our deal at that moment, got a better deal. That song for us, our first single, not Herbie Salt and Pepper, and we broke the album.
Speaker 5: It takes you know, makes.
Speaker 4: The temperature that you know, it sets the temperature for the a the focus track.
Speaker 5: Right, and it was just like wow that time.
Speaker 4: And so that's why. Yeah, it's such a fun song to perform too, and that album is iconic for sure.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Also, I think all white people are legally obligated to know every word to it, and you'll do it any chance we get. It's another it's a reimagining of the hip hop trope since it celebrates women flipping some of those sexist traditions and subverting the male gaze. Are you shocked at all by the longevity of it? A whole new generation has fallen in love with now thanks to Deadpool. I mean, you've got kids right now hearing it and knowing all the words, Like, is that surprising to you at all or does it just feel like it all makes sense because of that timing since the way it fell from the beginning, I.
Speaker 4: Just think these things happen to us without any big machine behind us. I mean, because we go through it like we get you know, pushback a lot, and.
Speaker 5: We just kept will show up like okay, we're doing it.
Speaker 4: We keep going and pushing it, pushing it, and so when it happens for us, it's like thank you. Yeah right right, yeah, it's such a nice sense to me. From the beginning, it kind of just took off. It's like I don't know, it was just beyond music. It was it was something I feel, like the friendship, you know, the connection, like we have this like crazy connection, the chemistry, you know, like everything just lined up pretty much and it never stopped, like never stopped, you know what I mean even now, like to your point, all these years later, like they call us for like the biggest things without any any like you said, big machine is just so organic, you know, so I kind of expected it. What I am surprised though about, is that the timing in my mind at a certain age, you know, likes you did your thing, Okay, now, sit down, you know, the calls we get is constant. It's crazy. No rest for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah you thinking maybe next year I'll get to take a nap.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, not the rock and roll.
Speaker 5: She's gonna be in the house on the Mountains College. Now they're really going to start calling on her. The ship out, don't get off that island, bring her back. She thinks she is taking a raft. I don't think so.
Speaker 2: Who is the craziest person you've ever met? Who knows every word to shoot? Craziest person we've ever another? Another famous person?
Speaker 5: Ellen?
Speaker 4: Oh, Ellen, she's crazy.
Speaker 5: She losing a license in check from the Ellen Show. Like to sing it?
Speaker 4: She did?
Speaker 5: Like shoot? She always have to wrap it with her Yes, that's her. That was her song.
Speaker 2: Well that song would have been enough, But then the second single is what a Man? Another immortal track. How did you connect with en Vogue for that one?
Speaker 4: Okay, so, okay, you know Herbie, you know we all came up with this song. Herbie produced us. But this was the part of I never forget. We were in the studio. I think it was al Machira. This is we were like in the studio something Herbie studio. But anyway, the fact that we were trying to see who could sing this hole, who could sing this hook? And then I just sat there and thought of in Vogue, right, so I said, let's get let's try in Vogue. Then we always like wet, you know we Invoge. I was like, let's just try, let's see we would sing it. And they end up saying yes to shoot for the stars shoot and we.
Speaker 6: Was like they said yes and it was.
Speaker 4: It was funny, perfect, just as famous as them. That's what artists are like that, They're like, you think they'll do it right?
Speaker 2: I get that all. I'll have a little bit of imposter syndrome.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, they were honored. They were honored. Yeah, that is so.
Speaker 5: The video was a When we had to put that video together.
Speaker 2: Uh huh, that was fine.
Speaker 4: Yes, Kiss Girl power to the fullest. Yes.
Speaker 2: Well, I have two specific questions about the song. First, I found two different writers with two varying opinions, and I want you to give the final word on it. The lyric is, although most men are hose, he flows on the down low because I never heard about him with another girl. Does that mean he is faithful or does it mean that he's just really good at keeping it quiet and you appreciate.
Speaker 4: So when you pick that out, I've picked that lyric out and I was like, someone's going he.
Speaker 2: Keep his ho in under wraps, all right, there it is.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that at least at least he does it in secret, which is pathetic to say. But you don't want to know the disrespect he said that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, I mean that's yeah.
Speaker 4: If you're gonna go to McDonald's but not being my McDonald's, and I'm telling you better go two hours over, I.
Speaker 3: Couldn't agree with you more.
Speaker 2: Also, anytime somebody there's a cheating scandal in the news and we think, okay, you know what, don't judge people who decide to stay so much of it is. How blatant was it? How comfortable are you?
Speaker 4: Respectful? Was she in my bed?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: How comfortable were you disrespecting me?
Speaker 2: For alluse?
Speaker 4: I know one thing, I've had my camera ready.
Speaker 5: How they we got cameras, don't you know?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I forget that.
Speaker 2: Good luck trying to get I mean, now people just take people to concerts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then yeah, crazy.
Speaker 5: That's crazy.
Speaker 4: Cheaters a rap for cheaters. Either tell the truth or don't cheat, you know, what I mean, because you're going to get caught you Yeah, exactly, someone who says.
Speaker 3: I don't want to rubbing it in my face.
Speaker 4: But as long as and give him the opportunity, it goes both ways. Yes, if you want, if you'd want that, might not even want to do that, sure, I mean I.
Speaker 2: Definitely wouldn't want to, but I would also not want him to know that I wouldn't want to because I want, I want.
Speaker 6: We have to play the game.
Speaker 2: So many games.
Speaker 4: It's so many, just.
Speaker 6: So many games.
Speaker 3: Okay, My second question.
Speaker 2: The music video featured Tupac, and I just want to hear what that day was like and what you remember from.
Speaker 3: Were you friends with himyway? It's not like he was a big cameo guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Actually, Pep and Trench were together a tretch of blody by nature, and Trench was friends with Tupac, so he was in close proximity with us, kind of had some conversations with him. I knew not to mess with Tupac, you know what I mean, and he was very respectful. But when they said who's your leading man going to be? I was like, I get to roll around in the bed with Tupac.
Speaker 1: Girls, just like a man.
Speaker 5: When they picked those scenes. Sitting there, we get I had a boy. I was with somebody signing.
Speaker 4: To for you, right, So I did that scene with him, and my toes were literally curling.
Speaker 5: It was so it's beautiful.
Speaker 4: I was like, because everybody was enamored with.
Speaker 5: Him, that was a given from him with the gun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but my, my, the father of my child was actually in the room and I had to kick him out. I was like, I can't kuts with.
Speaker 5: You standing here. I have to make a good video. No to be like I'm enjoying. Yeah, that was. That was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was a good moment.
Speaker 2: Do you want to tell us about the gift or no?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, oh no.
Speaker 5: I would to say how he gave us a gift one.
Speaker 4: Time, but we wanted to gram.
Speaker 5: Yeah it was. It was made like a machine gun.
Speaker 4: It was a case.
Speaker 5: It was a case.
Speaker 4: It was made like a block a block block, a cake in the shape of the gun, painted black and everything.
Speaker 2: So we was going.
Speaker 5: Like, is he congratulating?
Speaker 7: Like that was?
Speaker 5: It was so cute, so fun We would that question seriously staring at this gun, like what the heck.
Speaker 4: Thank you?
Speaker 5: I'm s.
Speaker 4: It was funny.
Speaker 2: What was the connection for you know, we still don't know, Okay.
Speaker 5: Doug life.
Speaker 2: Okay, I would be remiss if I did not talk a little salt and Pepa fashion because the iconic eight ball other jacket. People may not know who designed those, but they were designed by play who was your stylist before his career took off. In another sense, well, he was very and so he gave suggestions and had ideas and he.
Speaker 4: And he designed those jackets. He was an artist. He still is an artist. He just remade them for us for a rock and roll Hall of Fame. They like reimagine Yeah, and Dapper Dan, who was huge at that time, still is constructed the jackets. We got our boots from Fava remember Payless like those I love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's where Bogo That's why started cheap boots.
Speaker 4: And then we had got the Kente hats from this lady named Mary Bird. She had a little hat shop next to the Apollo and Harlem and we just like back in the day, we didn't have stylists in hand, makeup and all that. We were just making it up as we went along, and that became like the most iconic book shopping for the dancers all the things so and it was more fun back then. It was like some more organic I know, get in your looks and then those looks go on. Yeah history, yeah forever, just kids making up stuff. The ripped up gen She's always claiming the ripped up gans us money money everyone.
Speaker 5: You never see the.
Speaker 4: Own patches on our show, wearing our merch on stage doing look at those gens you pay.
Speaker 5: We end up paying three five hundred one thousand dollars.
Speaker 4: After day, and we did them ourselves.
Speaker 2: My grandfather still now, I will give him credit for starting the joke all grandparents. And you are you having a tough time? Do you need me to buy you a.
Speaker 5: Pair of.
Speaker 2: Parents cover your h I love that you're wearing your merch on stage. It takes the like wearing the concert to the concert just one step further.
Speaker 5: Yes, it was like my.
Speaker 2: I mean, you really are the best for it. Okay, I want to show you a couple other photos too. Let's go to the next next photo.
Speaker 5: Look at this.
Speaker 4: Is the photographer that was beautiful.
Speaker 2: Bras like colors.
Speaker 4: I was so extra like I look like my son in that picture. Is this the thing?
Speaker 3: This got you?
Speaker 5: Guys?
Speaker 2: A Victoria's secret.
Speaker 6: Deal, we will wear our own bras.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we were just doing our own bra and then Victoria's Secrets approached us, and then and we started wearing we were wearing all that bras stage like, Yeah, we were wearing those bra with the little campaign with them.
Speaker 2: Literally, you guys were the original Angels.
Speaker 3: Go to the next picture.
Speaker 2: These are just a few of my favorites. Favorite shape.
Speaker 5: Look at the y.
Speaker 4: That was Derek Khan. That's when we first started getting a stylist. That probably was Yeah, maybe they like clueless.
Speaker 2: You know, it's just beautiful. Got to bring that back, all right, let's go the next one. Last one, Yes, I love that one.
Speaker 6: I remember was Derek Khan. Yeah, that was Derek Khan.
Speaker 8: You can tell when we started getting styles. Beautiful little metallic mini dresses. I love that little she Those are my favorit types of umbrellas to the sheer, see the range.
Speaker 5: I like that.
Speaker 2: That is cute. I wonder though, was that sweaty? What happened when you got hot in a little pleathar shear?
Speaker 5: I was already cool enough.
Speaker 2: Thank you. This past you were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Truly incredible and well deserved recognition after your forty year career in music. Uh, I know you took time on stage to also shed some light on the frustration and roadblocks you have run into while trying to retain your master recordings. I feel like so many fans have followed this story hoping for the right thing to happen and for you to get back your music. Has there been any progress with it?
Speaker 4: So it's like so depressing that you even talk about, let's just say this, we're still fighting, still fighting. I'm just gonna wrap that right on up into we are still fighting and we're going to fight as long as we can. Yes, it's been long, it's been hard, it's been expensive, but the greed in this industry is so ridiculously shameful. After you've exploited someone's music for forty years, to fight them for what's rightfully there is to continue to get I can't even say the Lion's share more than the Lion's share. To the point that the music has been taken down on all platforms, I'm like they want to it's like beyond just greed at this point now, Despike, So now the fans can't even access our music, and for you to make a statement of whatever kind is ridiculous. So and I think still like we're hoping for you know, the best of course, but at least it raised awareness for any other artists to pay attention to their deal and understanding the thirty five year rule and see if it applies to you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and start getting that, you.
Speaker 4: Know, because you never know, you know, you start out your career, you don't know that you think you're going to be successful, but you don't know that your music is going to be worth millions millions over the years. We are some of the most licensed music, and not just hip hoping music period. Like you know, you can barely watch TV and I hear what a man you know? Or push it or shoot like let's talk about sex like we spoke of. So that last over a period of time, and it is worth fighting for it in the beginning.
Speaker 2: In the beginning, right said, get off on the right foot. Yeah, well, I am rooting for you guys, and thank you for spreading that awareness. When you look back on your careers, is there one performance that sticks out as the most quintessential Salt and Peppa.
Speaker 4: When we performed for the Grammys, I think I would think, yeah, that's because we yeah, we we rehearsal, and you know, they should would go to hair like they distinctly said, we had a good rehearsal, Yeah we got it, and then yeah, yeah, because that's when we won. We performed, We won, and then we ran to the wrong podium like three blind mice and they were like, ran because we have boycotted the Grammys because there was a time when it was being nominated but not televised. So Will Smith actually pulled public Enemy Salt and Pepper kidn't play quite a few people and we we refused to go, and we had a whole press conference. And then years later and they started televising the category. So it was also that you know, so that really meant a lot.
Speaker 5: To us, ye cause we took the chance. You know, they'd be like, well, it's true, you ain't gonna never.
Speaker 4: Get another, right, but they still, you know, that was important and they thought about it. So it was a good move because it was televised. I saw said so yeah, And Woodstock was another yeah, just to be yeah, another Woodstock was insane because that was the main member of everything. It was Woodstock that was and they and our set was long. It was like we were on the main stage.
Speaker 2: That's of course, yes, everyone that main stage.
Speaker 4: And it was a long show. Wasn't like just two or three songs, So what was special performance?
Speaker 2: Well, speaking of performing, you are going out on the road for the It's Iconic Tour alongside TLC and en Vogue starting August fifteenth.
Speaker 3: What a lineup? What can fans.
Speaker 2: Expect when these three legendary groups team up. I see this as like, this is my nineties hip hop and R and b Avengers.
Speaker 4: Yes, wow, yeah, I love that.
Speaker 5: That's because we're gonna use that.
Speaker 3: This is the nineties hip hop and R and b Avengers.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's how we feel. Like when it came together, we were like, why didn't we think of this years ago?
Speaker 6: Everything?
Speaker 4: And it's time. Of course it's the perfect time, but the lineup is like, we didn't think of it, and we haven't done any shows with TLC.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so that's why.
Speaker 4: Like, wow, you know, it's going to be nostalgic. Like I always say, you know, back in the day, it felt like we were performing for you guys, but now we've all grown up together, so it's more of like a US thing. Like, we're all just going to go back to the time when we first heard waterfalls, shoot, when we first heard hold on, you know what I mean. And so we're also doing an integrated show, which is gonna be crazy fun. So yeah, we're looking forward to it and it's been selling out. There was some controversy attached to it for a minute, you know, yeah, and the people are just like we showing up, you know, when showing up, we're appreciative, and.
Speaker 5: We've been rehearsing.
Speaker 4: Then we're going to rehearsal after.
Speaker 5: So I'm like, oh, we love it because we have.
Speaker 4: Six boy dancers.
Speaker 5: Of our favorite thing to do. We be sitting there like wow, shout out to the.
Speaker 4: Dances killing killing it all over again, auditioning dancers back in the day about David.
Speaker 5: It was our other favorite things, the favorite auditions. Auditions.
Speaker 7: Yes, I lot of boys, no boy, and we've never messed with dancers, but we like to look at him, you know yourself.
Speaker 5: For yourself. You haven't.
Speaker 7: I'm like, wait's.
Speaker 5: Something I don't know. I know you don't think so wait.
Speaker 4: Girl, Oh you know, Oh no, I knew I forgot Yeah. Yeah, but he's not a dancer. See listen, let's context. Okay, I'm talking about dancers. We hired that to dance for us.
Speaker 2: Okay, in that specific yes, okay. But in the broader context.
Speaker 5: We don't mess with the employees. Yourself.
Speaker 2: Have time for everything.
Speaker 4: That's what we're saying.
Speaker 5: Oh it's too late for that. Yeah, I'm not that year that ship shell.
Speaker 2: I cannot thank you both enough but for coming on to teen Beat. This is really a career highlight. You have brought me so much joy over the years, so to have you here in front of my face and be able to have a conversation with you has really meant a lot.
Speaker 4: So thank you.
Speaker 2: You can catch Saltan Peppa on the road in the Iconic Tour with TLC and en Vogue starting August fifteenth in Franklin, Tennessee. You can see all of the dates and get your tickets now at Saltanpeppa dot com. Teenbeat is an iHeart podcast produced and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Executive producers Jensen Carp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production Danielle Romo, producer and editor Tara Subosch. The theme song is by Mark Coppis. Yes that Mark Coppas. Follow us on Instagram at Teenbeatpod