Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News. This is Bloomberg Business Week Daily reporting from the magazine that helps global leaders stay ahead with insight on the people, companies, and trends shaping today's complex economy. Plus global business finance and tech news as it happens. The Bloomberg Business Week Daily Podcast with Carol Masser and Tim Steneveek on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: Twelve shares of US homebuilders taking a hit earlier in today's session at their load today inter day load down about one point four percent. They've moved off that level, just slightly lower as we speak. In a Bloomberg exclusive, the Trump administration officials are exploring opening an anti trust investigation into US home builders as the White House sharpens its focus on tackling the country's housing affordability crisis. This story definitely cut our attention.
Speaker 3: Yeah with us is Bloomberg News real estate reporter Pac Clark. He joins us here the Berg Business Week Studio. Congratulations on another exclusive when it comes to the White House and housing affordability just this week. What can you tell us? What are these possible antitrust concerns?
Speaker 4: Well, the thing that you know, one thing that's caught the eye of administration officials is a trade group and they're concerned that, you know, are our home builders coordinating through the trade group. And that's the thing that's been raised, at least internally. I think that's a common concern about trade groups across industry coordinating.
Speaker 5: How well, you know, you're not supposed to talk about like anything, We're gonna set our prices in this way and right that's you're not supposed to tell your competitors how you're setting prices.
Speaker 6: And and.
Speaker 4: You know, I think it's a it's a concern that can come up, which is like you have this trade group where everyone is getting together and talking to each other, or they're talking to some centralized person in the trade group, and information gets disseminated. And this would not be I'm not an anti trust expert, but my understanding is that this would not be the first time that you know, there was a probe of you know, a trade group or some centralized body.
Speaker 3: The lending builders leading Builders of America is the trade group? What have they said? What have the homebuilders come out and said after this?
Speaker 4: They haven't responded. They're keeping their heads down right now or so it seems I think, you know, I mean, all this goes back to October when the President put out on a social media post that home builders are I mean, he likened them to opek and complained that builders are sitting on more lots than ever. And you know, I mean, I think this is if you go back to the story earlier this week about the builder's pitch for a Trump Homes project. In a way, that's like trying to get on the administration's good side in hopes that you know, they're not on the bad side, and this is kind of what the bad side might look like.
Speaker 2: Just last question, kudos to you two exclusives in terms of what the White House is working on housing affordability. Having said that, you know, they are said to be trying to do anything, Is there any progress, any really move forward in terms of being able to make homes more affordable. Some would say there are different issues at play in order making this work, but in terms of what the White House might be able to do.
Speaker 4: Listen, I mean, I think this is where we are on home prices. Is it took fifteen years to get to this point. It took a pandemic, you know, to get there. In the end of an interest rate environment that had been in place for a decade or so. So, you know, I don't think the standard should be getting to you know, a solution overnight. But yeah, it's in the something is going to you know, people are talking about things. What happens.
Speaker 2: I don't know, is it really a priority for the White House?
Speaker 4: Just quickly seems like it.
Speaker 3: Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Business Week Daily coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week Daily Podcast. Catch us Live weekday afternoons from two to five eas during Listen on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us Live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: We're going to stay on the domestic economic state because we did get some data earlier today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that data showed that US consumer sentiment unexpectedly improved to the highest in six months, largely propelled by wealthy Americans who've benefited from stock market gains. Digging into the US economic backdrop. Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta President raphae Albostik reiterated it's important to keep interest rates at a level that restricts economic activity of returns inflation to two percent. He spoke about that and more in an exclusive interview with Bloomberg TV and Radio's International economics and policy correspondent Michael McKee. That was earlier in Atlanta.
Speaker 7: In terms of inflation, you know, what I've learned is that we really don't want to have inflation right. Once inflation gets entranstion, people's mindset changes how the economy evolves. And it's one of the reasons why I think that we need to keep our policy in a restrictive posture so that we get inflation back to two percent. That's paramount. High prices and the prospect of rising prices really do have a lot of families on the edge. And I mean you all have reported a lot about the K shaped economy. There are lots of families that are feeling very precarious right now, and that's a source of concern.
Speaker 6: Do you think the economy is becoming more K shaped? I don't know more.
Speaker 7: I mean it's been that way for a while. Just before the pandemic, I had been talking about this and we were trying to find into metrics to really detail how there's a split. I used to call it the Barbell economy where either you were at the high end or at the low end, the K shape is the same thing. What I know is that there are a lot of families that are precarious and are feeling very uncertain about their prospects for the future and the prospects for their children for that matter, and that concern, I think does underlie a bit of the lower on the low consumer confidence that we continue to see being reported. And what we'll need to do is really give people reasons to be optimistic, show them where the new jobs are coming from, and show them how do they get the skills to compete.
Speaker 6: For it well.
Speaker 8: This week, Treasury Secretary Besson said the FED has lost the confidence of the American people. Do you think you have lost the confidence of the American people in your district? Do you hear people raising questions about that?
Speaker 7: That's not been my experience. As I go around the sixth district, people tell me we're grateful for what you're doing. You have a very hard job, and we want you to be as data dependent and as open to information so you can make the best judgment that you can. Look, the world is very complicated. It's actually more complicated today than it has been my whole time.
Speaker 9: Here.
Speaker 7: So what I think most people understand that and they know that we're doing the best job that we can under very difficult circumstances.
Speaker 2: Right That, of course is Fedbank of Atlanta President Raphael Bostic an exclusive interview with Bloomberg TV and Radios own Michael McKee earlier from Atlanta to get into the economic macro situation, if you will, what faces the FED and so much more some of the things we just talked about, and great to really.
Speaker 3: Have back with us.
Speaker 2: And it's not a job's Friday, which I have to keep reminding everybody, which kind of blows my mind. Gregory Doco, he is chief economist at EY, he is here in studio.
Speaker 3: Welcome back, pleasure to be here.
Speaker 2: There's so much right even there, you know, housing affordability, and then kind of the bigger broader of what the White House does to help the US economy and more Americans. There's Rafael Bostek talking about FED confidence, two percent inflation, important to make sure that we have inflation under control. What's important and a job's Friday where it is in a job's Friday, but we'll get that read. When you think about the US economy, what is front and center for you.
Speaker 10: Well, I think it's the paradox of having strong growth but underlying weakness across different sectors and across different stratas of the economy. I don't really like the case shaped format because to signify that there are two groups of consumers, there are two groups of businesses. The reality is that there is polarization across the US economy. Whether you're looking at certain income groups, not just the lowest income groups, but the meat in income groups. They are increasingly struggling with high prices. When you look at business investment, there is polarization between those that are focused on AI investment and those that are not. There is polarization between large businesses and small businesses that are struggling more in the face of some of these palsy headwinds. So it's not necessarily a ca shaped economy as much as it is a polarized economy within which you're still seeing strong averages. Average consumer spending still doing well, average business investment still doing well, Average GDP still doing well.
Speaker 3: What's that masking?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 3: I think taking the massage, taking the average is just that it's the average. It's yeah, and so what's it masking?
Speaker 10: It's masking an underlying fragility in the fact that you have these narrow pillars of growth that I've talked about in the past. And I think if you bring it back to income, which is really the fundamental pillar of economic activity, that is where there is pressure. The income growth for consumers is relatively low. We're talking about one percent growth for real disposable income growth, while consumer spending growth is at two and a half percent. That explains why the personal saving rate has fallen two percentage point since April and the early implementations.
Speaker 2: Nothing left to spend to save, right, people.
Speaker 10: Are dipping into their savings, They're using credit. And that's why I'm a little bit more cautious than others when it comes to this notion that there will be a lot of fiscal stimulus during the tax refund season. Yes, tax refunds may be higher, but what is this money going to be used for? Is it going to be used for spending or reimbursing some of the credit and replenishing savings.
Speaker 2: Listen, we've talked with you too about the wealthier consumer, and you know, you get into the A pillars or the three A pillars. You know, we had consumer sentiment come out today improved to the highest in six months, largely propelled by wealthier Americans have benefited from stock market gain. So yay, good. We know the wealthier consumer is very important to the US economy. But I am curious what was going through your mind this week? We were kind of talking about it amongst ourselves, with the AI trade a little bit in question and some nervousness around that. We saw that play out that has been important to stock market wealth, especially among the affluent. So I'm just curious, should we be a little worried that this could come undone this year?
Speaker 10: We should be very careful about the potential of an AI bust. This is a real downside risk, and it's interconnected with other potential risks to the US economy. We're seeing a great degree of focus on the fiscal situation. We're seeing a great degree of focus on pressures on the FED. Why do these matter because they can suddenly lead to changes in financial asset prices, And we know how the financial market has been behaving over the course of the past eighteen months. A lot of gains on the equity front, but also a lot of movements across different asset and nominations, a lot of movements into gold when things are not going well, not so much treasuries and not so much the US dollars. So these are important developments and everything happens together. And so if we are to see a little bit more of a downbeat sentiment in terms of the prospects for AI and importantly the return on investment, then that could metastize into something that is worse for higher wealth individuals and they're spending desires and spending capability. If you see a negative hit on financial markets, it could lead to some businesses pulling back on AI investment. We saw just today the four largest hyperscalers are promising to invest a lot in the US. What if that does not materialize? Is there a downside risk there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Amazon just saying yesterday two hundred billion dollars and sixty billion more than analysts thought they would spend in twenty twenty six. So when you say we have to be careful about an AI bust, how does that manifest? What exactly does that look like? Because as Carol was referring to, it's been kind of a complicated week when it comes to really just tracking what these companies have done, or the stocks at least have done, because there's this concern about a SASS apocalypse with the software as of service companies as a result of what Anthropics Claude was shown to do this week. And then there's also the concern about some of the hyperscalers and spending. So when you say AI bust, what does that look like.
Speaker 10: Well, I think we're seeing a lot of pragmatism right now. We're seeing this notion of economics of necessity, what is necessary to drive growth? Where are going to be the next avenues of growth? And I think not many people know and very few actually know what the situation will be in a year's time, two years time when it comes to which sectors will be leading the way. We're in the midst of a technological revolution. There are always going to be excesses in terms of upside risks that are taken in downside.
Speaker 3: Risk there so we're definitely in the midst of this.
Speaker 10: We are in the midst of an AI technological revolution.
Speaker 2: And it's interesting because Amazon CEO Jassey told investors he's confident the company is going to see a return on its massive investments in artificial intelligence Listen, these guys have fiduciary responsibilities right when they make these spend So I guess to some extent, you've got to trust that whatever he's seeing, he feels comfortable enough to say that right, and doesn't want to put his company or his share price or any of this at risk. But again people will also say, well, these people are talking their books. I mean, like this is a big thing for them. So it's a hard thing to kind of weave through to figure out what's really going on.
Speaker 10: You know, when I say narrow foundation to growth. One thing that I find really amazing is that the announced investment in CAPEX from these four largest hyperscalers is worth about two hundred and fifty billion dollars. Assuming that materializes over the course of twenty twenty six, and assuming only a fourth leads to stronger economic activity domestically, so that three quarters are imported not necessarily counted in GDP, that would lead to a lift of GDP of zero point two percent. That's a significant boost from four companies. Yeah, right, So that is where the narrow foundation to growth is lying. You're seeing a lot of growth that is reliant on a few actors in the economy, wealthier individuals and larger firms and smaller businesses and lower income families are increasingly struggling. And where I start to worry a little bit is that we're seeing this bifurcation between the prospects for strong productivity growth but not necessarily the accompanying income growth that usually accompanies a strong productivity cycle. And that's because of this polarized economy.
Speaker 2: Great point like where okay, for more productive where's the income to Usually.
Speaker 10: That's the story, you get more productivity and more real wage growth. You're not seeing that right now.
Speaker 3: Hey, just the last forty seconds we have with you. On any normal friday, at this time, we'd be talking about labor.
Speaker 6: How many right?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Well, what does your analysis tell you about the health of the labor market right now? And just have about thirty seconds.
Speaker 10: It's in balance, but it's a fragile balance because we've seen a historical negative shock to labor supply from reduced immigration. So we have a break even rate that's close to zero, but we are seeing labor demand being hesitant. Business leaders that we speak to are very hesitant as to who they hire, what skilled they hire for, and at what salaries. And that is downward pressure on income, which in turn will feed into software consumer spending and going into the rest of the year.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week Daily podcast. Catch us Live weekday afternoons from two to five e's during Listen on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch US Live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Hey, one of the things we wanted to get to was one of the most read stories on the Bloomberg Today. For the biggest US tech companies together have forecast capital expenditures that will reach about six hundred and fifty billion dollars this year, which is really kind of a mind boggling tide of cash earmark for new data centers and all the gear that is housed within them. That is the spending plan by Alphabet, Amazon, Meta, and Microsoft, all in pursuit of dominance in the still nascent market for AI tools is a boom without a parallel this century, no doubt about it.
Speaker 4: Tim.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a lot, Okay, it's a lot. Look, we're talking about Alphabet, Amazon, Meta Platforms, and Microsoft. Each of these companies estimates for this year expected either near or to surpass their budgets for any of the past three years combined, the investors over the past two weeks have reacted to the news differently when it comes to earnings and quarterly updates from these companies. We've got a great voice joining us, Carol, who studied these companies for a very long time.
Speaker 2: Curious to see what he has to say. Mark Mahaney is with us, senior Managing director and head of Internet Research at Evercore, author of Nothing but Net ten, timeless stock picking lessons from one of Wall Street's top tech analysts. He joins us from San Francisco. By the way, he's got an outperform on both on actually Alphabet, Meta and Amazon, all of them.
Speaker 3: Mark, how are you good to have you back?
Speaker 6: Good to see you, Carol.
Speaker 2: Hey, one thing I got to ask you before we get into the individual cup and he's something like fifty thousand on the Dow. Does it mean anything to you when you think about the overall market trade?
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, I was surprised by that number two.
Speaker 9: That says a lot, I guess if I'm honest about it.
Speaker 6: No fair enough, which is what we want.
Speaker 2: We love the honesty. Hey, Let's get to what has been a trade depending on the company reporting the AI spend and AI trade. Some have been punished, some have been not any logic to it in your view.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think so. We're going through a free cash flow desert.
Speaker 9: So there's no question that the level of investments is higher than we all thought, you know, a month ago at the beginning of the year, and certainly a lot higher than we thought a year ago. I don't nobody that I know of, and I didn't forecast this amount of CAPPEC spend by the major hyperscalers, the four companies you mentioned earlier, Amazon, medic Google and Microsoft. So I understand the market's hesitation, and what it means is that free cash flow is going to be tested in Amazon's going to have negative free cash flow this year, first time since twenty twenty two. I think Google is going to be positive cash flow. I think Meta is. But these huge amounts of CAPEC spend are challenging that free cash flow generation, and investors are right to be concerned. When investors should also, though, focus on, is what are they seeing in terms of ROAI, Like what kind of returns.
Speaker 6: Are we getting?
Speaker 9: So you know, Google is ramping up its CAPEX by ninety billion that's actually the biggest dollar increase. But what they gave you this last quarter was an acceleration in search growth was the fastest that they've had in four years. What they also gave you was almost fifty percent growth in cloud revenue and one hundred and fifty percent growth growth in cloud backlog. That is all generated or in large part generated by AI. So there's an example here of a return. And by the way, Google had record high operating margins in the last quarter.
Speaker 6: Amazon just gave you.
Speaker 9: Twenty four percent search I'm sorry, cloud revenue growth, AWS revenue growth fastest in four years, also with very consistent margins, and the backlog jump by more than they've ever had in a single quart or something like forty billions. So I'd argue that there is an ROAI on these for these companies that can make the same point about META, and I think investors just need to be able to work through this free cash flow troph year. If I'm right there, it's the troph year, and you're going to have accelerating growth that will take you into twenty seven. I think that sets up these stocks given their current valuations, very well.
Speaker 3: So Amazon right now is down just about seven percent as we speak. You've got an outperform rating on the company two hundred and eighty five dollars price target. Andy Jasse said yesterday that the money would predominantly go to the company's AWS, most of it would be for AI workloads. He said, quote, I think this is an extraordinarily unusual opportunity to forever change the size of AWS and Amazon as a whole. We see this as an unusual opportunity, and we're going to invest aggressively to be the leader. Is he right?
Speaker 6: Well, he's right that they're investing aggressively.
Speaker 9: He's right also that almost certainly this is a huge opportunity.
Speaker 6: I mean, the market certainly thinks.
Speaker 9: So we wouldn't be going through sasmageddon or whatever, you know, this sell off in soft podcast software STUF, Yeah, DEAs apocalypse. We wouldn't be going through that if the market didn't think that some of the innovations they're seeing out of open AI and Anthropic weren't potentially, uh, you know, dramatically negative for these names. Now, the market may be overreacting, but the market is reacting, and then I just you know, ask you all to step back a little bit. Here have we seen material improvements in the products and the services that we use because of jen Ai, and I think we're for honest about it. The answer is yes, you know how much search has improved, like as a product, as an experience, how much better it is the things you can do now, This is like your Google moment of fifteen years ago, Like what was life like before Google?
Speaker 6: It's kind of hard to remember.
Speaker 9: I think we're gonna have that same moment, like what was life like before Generative AI when you can you know, and we're just we're still scratching the service, like we haven't we still haven't had the task, you know, we haven't circled to the task. Like I'm you know, great, you've given me all this information about a Hawaiian vacation package, but then put it all together and book it for me too, Like make that and then you know, I really want a personal digital assistant. I think we're all going to have one, you know, in three to five years. By the way, GEM and I personal intelligence has sort of become that for me already in a pretty short period of time. And the ability for this to improve improve people's productivities, you know, their lifestyles.
Speaker 6: If you will.
Speaker 9: I just think that these are their ability to educate themselves, train themselves, learn new skills. I think it's extraordinary what we're seeing. And so yeah, I believe. I believe in the cycle. I'm sure there's going to be overbuilding during it, but I believe in this cycle. And and I think there's a couple of companies that are really going to come out financially much better because of it.
Speaker 6: And I think these are three or the four of the companies that can do it. That's where I.
Speaker 2: Wanted to go because reading in you know, this kind of winner takes all or most, winner takes most kind of view out there, and that's why these guys are all doing a MEGACAPC spend, Meta, Microsoft, Amazon, and Alphabet. Are they right about that? And I do wonder like will there be one leader or is it going to be enough that all for these mark our companies we will continue to talk about five years from now, three years from now, ten years from now.
Speaker 9: Well that's a tough question, Carol. I think we'll be talking about them. The questions are whether they're going to be materially larger from here or not. The advantage that they have is that they already begin with these massive bases of users and businesses and applications, and so you're taking productivity enhancements, productivity dramatic improvements to you know, massive retail advertising platforms, entertainment platforms, and my guess is that they of the I guess is that these large platforms are going to be a lot better. They're going to be more efficient, they're going to have higher margins, they're going to have higher revenue bases than we would have thought three years ago. Yeah, the capex in twenty twenty six, the investments are greater than we were thought two years ago, if we're honest with ourselves.
Speaker 6: The revenue bases are also bigger than we thought.
Speaker 9: In the profit pools, not free cash flow yet, but I think that's going to snap back next year. Profit pools are going to be bigger than we would have thought two or three years ago.
Speaker 3: Mark, we've talked about, you know, where you're optimistic in some of the winners, But where are you not optimistic when it comes to this spend. Who ends up losing as a result of this capex spend of this investment.
Speaker 9: Well, companies that you know aren't able to make this the shift the one, the shift, the one company, the one set of companies. I've wondered about the travel companies. This is an information intensive transaction. I think it lends itself to an agentic solution. You know, somebody, I think the average person you know would have spent three hours planning an annual summer family vacation. You know, you all think about all the things that go into that decision, and then the booking and then the checking and checking out alternatives and flights and blah blah blah. And I think this is wonderful, you know, opportunity for urgentic solutions to really sharpen that, to make the whole planning booking process a lot better. Booking dot Com, Expedia, and Airbnb better be effectively and successfully investing in in agentic travel and having their own augentic agents on their sites, because if they don't, then those are companies that I think are going to be could be dramatically smaller three to five years.
Speaker 3: And you do cover those investment. You do cover those three companies too, so you know, you know, what are they do? You think they're doing a good job as of now.
Speaker 9: I think so, but I haven't seen a proof yet by the way, nobody's really put together a great agentic travel experience.
Speaker 6: Yet it's TBD.
Speaker 9: You know, you look, you can use chat, GBT and Gemini, but you know you've come up with great for travel planning, but you can't.
Speaker 6: You can't.
Speaker 9: Like then you still got to go somewhere to do the booking that somebody's going to put all that together. I just I don't know who's going to do that first, but I think there's a decent chance that Expedia Booking will do it. And then I step back and think about valuations across these names, and if you're telling me that you're going I'm going to get Expedia at fifteen times earnings, Booking at seventeen times earnings, Amazon and Meta at twenty times earnings, Hey, I'm in You know, I think those are very reasonable multiples. In fact, I think they're pretty dislocated. So, you know, I think a lot of the fears already in these stocks.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was just looking at Expedia. It's down about seventeen percent year to date, and you've got Booking down about eighteen percent. I'm not saying that there's a clear connection, but just just putting.
Speaker 3: That out there.
Speaker 2: Ye, Mark, Mark just got thirty seconds. As we go through this, I mean there's going to be stops and starts, right because we are very early in when it comes to this AI spend and build out.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you're right, Yeah, we are. Still we don't agentic commerce. There's some interesting examples. I love what I'm seeing out of Amazon, Ruth rufus to see more rufuses out there, and rufus can still improve materially. So I think we're still early, and but I want to see people closing the loop, you know, in terms of the information and the transaction you want. You want the gentic task agents. They're not enough of those yet.
Speaker 3: Stay with us. More from Bloomberg Business Week Daily coming up after this.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week Daily podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from two to five East during Listen on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 3: We're talking about bitcoin. It's kind of a special edition of Drive to the Clothes because Bitcoin reclaimed almost all losses registered during Thursday's crypto market meltdown, largest since the collapse of FTX royaled. The market just a little over three years ago. Yesterday we spoke to Nova Lauriate Paul Krugman about the sell off. Here's what he had to say.
Speaker 11: A lot of people sold bitcoin as being the next gold. It turns out, in the face of doubts about stability, doubts about politics, the next goal turns out to be gold, not Bitcoin. I think it's a big wake up for people. You know, maybe this isn't actually going to be an enduring answer. If you ask what when people make four price forecasts for bitcoin? I always wonder on what basis. Yeah, it's not like you could do a price earnings ra issue on this thing, because there's no no earnings, no services. It's all just pure faith.
Speaker 3: A lot to unpack there, Nobel Lauriate Paul Krugman on Business Week yesterday. That was yesterday, This is today. We've got Bloomberg News Executive editor for Crypto Payments and Digital Finance Strategy, Stacy Marieschmael. Actually, yeah, you're everything. I'm just giving you new titles.
Speaker 2: Can we just make her crypto Queen?
Speaker 3: We just want you to stay there, We just want.
Speaker 2: You to stay Sorry, No, okay, don't call her that, So okay, that was yesterday, this is today.
Speaker 3: First things First, we saw the selloff, why the recovery today.
Speaker 12: There's a phrase that folks like using, which is dip buying, which we're you know, essentially says bitcoin hit a threshold at which folks were like, Okay, there's no way this is reasonable. But the problem for people who like to do fundamental analysis and just you know, going back to what Krugman said, is it's very hard to do fundamental analysis on an asset that's been defined by like momentum trading for so long. You know, our colleague Zeke on the Investigations team put out a bit of BusinessWeek newsletter saying like, why did bitcoin fall? Because prices fell? And that can feel like a tautology, but so much of this asset class, in this industry has been defined by narrative, and so many of the big spikes up have been driven by like events, right, So it's you know, the introduction of crypto ETFs or the election of President Trump or then President Trump saying we're going to have a bitcoin reserve, and we've really been lacking those kinds of narrative driven like positive events for the past several months.
Speaker 2: Does any of the trade that we're seeing as of late, stay see like kind of say to you that because we've always said like what is it? Still does it help kind of tell the picture or maybe say, Okay, it's just this thing that people like to play around with, like you know, whether or not this is going to be so disruptive and really something bigger in terms of our financial system going forward, rather than just to kind of a play thing.
Speaker 12: So if you go back to the twenty twenty four a phrase that was very popular was people believe in the underlying technology, right, this idea of the blockchain, and actually coming into twenty twenty six, that has really become actually mainstreamed in a very different kind of way. You have major Wall Street investment banks saying they're looking into things like tokenization and you know, putting assets on the blockchain. You have a number of different companies, including Stripe, making big bets on stable coins. You know, you have multiple different governments saying this is something that we need to take seriously. So I think there's been this shift in the narrative that the only way to get exposure to this technology is bitcoin, and now people have many other options and not all of those options are you can invest in them through like the strain forward mechanism. I'm going to hold a token. So I think some of this repricing actually reflects the sort of the changing maturity of the market itself. Right, you have more ways to play how you might feel about the prospects of this technology than merely buying and holding its largest, most liquid tool.
Speaker 5: That actually makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 3: What surprised me about yesterday's move is if you think back to sort of the last big decline, it was this cross asset plunge in equities, we had the meltdown of FTX, so there was concern about this big player melting down. There was no external event yesterday that was really tied to the plunge.
Speaker 6: Is that.
Speaker 3: I know that's happened before in the history of bitcoin, but it's like that that felt a little different because the size of the of the industry is so much bigger this the market cap of the asset is bigger. Why was there no sort of catalyst.
Speaker 12: There's a few things that we're paying attention to. I would say there's been no single explicit catalyst, but you know, there was a similar a similar thing happened a few months back October when it was like, oh, like normal Monday, and sudden you're like whoa, Like why is the screen a sea of red? And at that point we heard okay, So some people's positions got tripped and that started a chain of liquidations, right, so, like a price was activated and margins got called and people started selling to meet those margins. There have been other times when it's like, actually, there are certain parts of digital assets that are like increasingly correlated with AI. And because you know, you've had companies that used to be I'm a bitcoin minor, now they're like, I'm a data center provider and I'm striking deals with Google because the infrastructure that we have can also power the AI revolution. So when you have you know, negative sentimental AI because everybody's like I need a billion dollars of capex, like like, that has a READO cross effect. So we've moved from an asset class that was positioned as not correlated with anything to an asset class that's actually increasingly correlated with lots of different kinds of things in interesting ways. At the same time that within the asset class itself, you've had this fragmentation into Okay, the most liquid traditional tokens bitcoin and ether and ripple and so on. Then you have like the stable coin play. Then you have the most speculative part of the market, the you know, the meme coins, the doges, et cetera. And then you've got the products built on top of those things, like the ETFs, like the strategy like and other types of digital asset treasury. So I think what we're also seeing is having to be much more sophisticated about the like the niches that we're analyzing, because it's no longer just one story that's driving everything.
Speaker 2: So a smarter market perhaps is where we're going.
Speaker 12: I think that's the hope.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, but right like we're kind of like understanding maybe where there is super potential.
Speaker 12: Yeah. You know, the folks who I've spoken to who are the most like, the most bullish and optimistic are also the ones who like have a kind of like sense of irony about it because they're, like, you know, one of the reasons that stable coins et cetera are taking off is because the investment banks who were supposed to be the enemy, right right, If you think of going back to like the white paper, like bitcoin was invented in rejection of the sovereign states and the traditional financial system. That's really brought a totally different perspective on large chunks of what people are interested in.
Speaker 3: Did has what bitcoin has done over the last year killed the narrative that it is digital.
Speaker 12: Called according to the gold people, yes, well they are, you know. I think the idea of it being a safe haven asset has always been a little bit challenging because it's really tricky to maintain the idea of being a safe haven asset when it has like such high beta performance when people are selling risk you know, so it's like, okay, if people are selling risk assets and bitcoin is also going down, it's like that doesn't quite qualify as a haven. But I think ideologically what folks were really talking to is like they really wanted this to be something that was removed moved from other parts of the financial system. And really what we've seen over the past couple of years with all of these different exchanges and like the US really embracing crypto in very different ways that it's almost become much more institutionalized.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Business Weekdaily podcast, available on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live weekday afternoons from two to five pm Eastern on Bloomberg dot Com, the iHeartRadio app tune In, and the Bloomberg Business app. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg terminal