Speaker 1: Welcome to Dirty Rush, The Truth about sorority life with your hosts me Gia Judice, Daisy Kent, and Jennifer Kessler. Welcome back to Dirty Rush. We're continuing our conversation with influencers who lived the sorority experience firsthand. We're back with part three.
Speaker 2: So nice to meet you. I'm Riley.
Speaker 3: Nice to meet you. TG. It has been telling me how amazing you are.
Speaker 1: Wait, I know you went to Arizona, but I didn't know you were in a sorority.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was. I loved it too.
Speaker 3: Sorority were you in?
Speaker 2: I was in Delta Zeta?
Speaker 3: Very cool?
Speaker 2: I graduated today, so like, yeah, youngrats, thank you.
Speaker 1: Okay, so take the girls through your rush process. I'm sure your outfits were insane, so let's hear all about it.
Speaker 4: It was so crazy because I'm originally from Louisiana, so rushing out there and like in the South is totally different and like rushing is not everyone's vibe. That's like for sure, and that's how I felt like in the South. I was like, oh, absolutely not, Like I will not be the Southern bell like screaming at the door like that was just like not my vibe. And then I went to Arizona and I was on a cheer team like my entire life. So I was like, I have to like I need some sense of like community, I need my girls.
Speaker 2: Like I didn't know.
Speaker 4: What to do, especially like moving across the country to go to college like I was eighteen. I had no idea what I was doing. And yeah, I just like embraced the process. I was like, whatever happens is going to happen. One of the like sororities. There is like top sorority like in the nation. And so I had someone like in my life at the time was like telling me all about that. I was like, oh my gosh, you have to rush the sorority, like they're top in the nation.
Speaker 2: They're top at ASU. Like that was the vibe. So I kind of like had that in the back of my mind.
Speaker 4: And I remember just like walking into Delta Zeta and Delta Zada was not the house she was talking about. And I walked into Delta Zada and I was like this is it. I had full body chills. I was like like me, like no, like sorty.
Speaker 5: Is not for me.
Speaker 2: Like I was in there like crying, like and I was like, yeah, this.
Speaker 6: Is my home, this is it for me.
Speaker 4: And then ever since then, like I was like that's it, Like I didn't listen to her, and like I remember them saying, like you end up in the house like you're supposed to be in Like whatever happened, it's meant to happen, even if like you don't if that's like where you wanted to go in the first place. And there was like time because like my my best friend in my roommate went the house and like my second choice, and there was so many times where I was like did I make the right decision?
Speaker 2: Like I would like overthink it.
Speaker 4: All the time, and as like the weeks went by, I was like, oh my gosh, like like everything's so clear. I like went so I went to the right house. But yeah, it was like such a good experience.
Speaker 3: I love that year and such a good time.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So then would you recommend Rushing a sorority to girls who are listening to this podcast?
Speaker 4: Oh for sure, Like it just brings that sense of like home away from home.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 4: It's like everything that like so already say. It's like, oh my gosh, everyone says that, but it's true. Like when you find the right one, like you actually embrace it and you don't like listen to like the people that are like, oh my gosh, you're paying for friends or like whatever else. It is like it's actually your home away from home, Like it's the girls that will literally be in your wedding one day. Like it's the girls that are gonna be there when you go through your breakup in like college and you think your life sober, like they're like picking you up like that.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: College is such like an intense time, so.
Speaker 2: I would recommend it.
Speaker 4: Like when I went through Rush and I saw the girls in Daltha Zaida, I was like, this is.
Speaker 2: Like I want to be just like them, like I want to It was.
Speaker 4: It was a situation where I was like I not only can like see myself here and like being friends with them, but like they're also like inspiring me. At the same time, the girl like rushed like to the end, like I was talking to like every day. Basically, She's like what helps me is I look around. I'm like, could I see my best friend that I had like all throughout childhood or like my best friend in high school? Like could I see them in this room like fitting in and if your answer is yeah, and like that's a really good sign. And I was like, yeah, like my best friend would totally be in this room, so I'd recommend it one million percent.
Speaker 1: So then when did you start TikTok and starting like when did you start social media?
Speaker 4: I started social media my junior year of high school, so I had been doing it for a couple of years.
Speaker 2: But it really didn't play a part into me rushing at all.
Speaker 4: Like I in my heart and in my soul my body, I didn't ever feel like social media was any like one up, Like.
Speaker 2: It didn't separate me from people, like still to this.
Speaker 4: Day, like when I talked to like followers of mine, like all I can say is I'm just the same as you, And that's all I've ever wanted to feel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's all I've ever wanted, like other people to feel.
Speaker 4: So being in a sorority only made it more like grounding for me, and like I would be going on brand trips and I could like come back to like my sorority house and like all my story sisters are like sitting there and like just doing normal college things.
Speaker 2: So it really didn't play that big of a part into it.
Speaker 4: And I always people always say, like ASU is like such the influencer school, like everyone there is like has followers or is.
Speaker 2: Like trying to be an influencer.
Speaker 4: And so I guess maybe that like pluted into it a little bit because I didn't feel different.
Speaker 1: And you didn't feel different while you were rushing either.
Speaker 6: Not at all.
Speaker 3: Like was everyone who were around kind of like tiktoking and stuff too?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, for sure, Like I ticked off the whole thing.
Speaker 4: I yeah, I was videoing everything, but no, never once like did they make me feel like any of the houses ever made me feel like different than anyone else. So I think that definitely plays into the part of like, that's why my experience was probably so good, as they made me feel like just the next person, which is like how I want to be, Like that's how I want to feel.
Speaker 2: So it's yeah, not a problem at all.
Speaker 1: And you also have your amazing clothing brand called Jane Doe. When did you start that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I started that my sophomore year.
Speaker 4: Actually, I honestly like I was with the guy, so I met my boyfriend or my boyfriend at the time, like the first day of college. He was the first guy I ever like talked to, and we kind of had like gone through some stuff, and there was spring break. He like went off with his friends to Hawaii and I was stuck in Arizona and I was like, oh my gosh, I hate this, Like I need to like boss up really quick.
Speaker 2: So my mom was like, you need to come home. She flew me home, and.
Speaker 4: In one night, I had like a website, an LLC, the name, like all of that, and it just like.
Speaker 2: Started from there.
Speaker 1: That's incredible, And wait, what's the why how did you come up with the name Jane Doe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so my middle name is Jane, and so I wanted to kind of plan to that.
Speaker 2: And then a Jane Doe.
Speaker 4: Is like a John Doe is like an unidentified person, and Jane Doe was like the girl version of that. And I just thought it was cool because I'm so like I always say, like, be the be you.
Speaker 2: It's the best way to be.
Speaker 4: It's the best version to be, Like, don't try to be someone else, Like as long as you're just being yourself, that's the best way to be.
Speaker 2: And so I'm like an unidentify like you.
Speaker 4: Don't have to be identified is one thing, like you don't have to be like streetwear. I don't have to be like Southern bell, like be you like that's just it.
Speaker 2: So I don't know. I like and I love the name Jane Do. I feel like it's super.
Speaker 1: No, it's unique. And also a lot of your pieces you can play off of them to make them whatever you want. So there are reliable pieces that you can just build on and make into whatever your style or personality is exactly.
Speaker 2: That's the goal.
Speaker 1: That's that was Here we go Jane Doe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 3: Do you have any advice for girls going into rush right now?
Speaker 2: Yeah? For sure.
Speaker 4: I would say my biggest advice is just like keep an open mind, like everyone says it, but don't go a house because the person you met in rush was going that house.
Speaker 2: Like that is just like not how it works.
Speaker 4: And my biggest thing is, like everyone everyone says this is be yourself, but like you have to really like like focus on that, because if you walk into a house and you were trying to fit in, you will spend the rest of your college experience feeling like you don't fit it because during that process you were trying to form into how this house particularly was instead just like being yourself. Go into these houses like you want them to accept you as.
Speaker 2: Who you are, so that the.
Speaker 4: Rest of your time just is way better that. That's my advice is, don't listen to other people and just be yourself and you will end exactly where you're supposed to. Even if your experience doesn't go exactly how you want, stick it out and like it might be the best thing that's.
Speaker 2: Ever happened to you.
Speaker 3: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: I love that, Riley.
Speaker 6: That's great advice.
Speaker 1: Hey Taylor, So where did you go to school?
Speaker 7: I went to James Madison in Virginia. Were you in Yeah, I was in THETA Okay cool. Did you have an overall good experience?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I loved it. I loved it.
Speaker 7: I'd tell I met all my best friends, so I'd say pretty good experience.
Speaker 1: Did you always know that you wanted to be in a sorority?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that was like one thing I was always very confident in. I'm like super girly and was into everything that came with a sorority. But I also kind of jokingly said that I was like a bare minimum sorority girl because I'd like make my friends, I love the community, but like I didn't.
Speaker 6: Hold any leadership positions or I wasn't like the most strict about it.
Speaker 7: Like so I always joked that I enjoyed the friends aspect and the bonds you made.
Speaker 3: But like, yeah, yeah, how did you start doing content? Did you start when you were in school?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: That's actually how I got my start was I was a freshman at JAMU kind of during COVID, and I'd post a ton of like what to pack for college, like what I wore during rush, how to study, what it's like being in a sorority, and like that college niche, and then kind of just expanded it.
Speaker 6: To all things lifestyle.
Speaker 7: But yeah, that's why've been in a sorority, And Jamie, you had such a special place in my heart because it kind of grew.
Speaker 6: My love for the social media world in that industry.
Speaker 3: But it's so interesting, like I feel like now how much social media can play like an aspect in like in literally like changing people's lives.
Speaker 1: And social media now on like your full time job.
Speaker 7: Yeah, right now it's my full time job and it's like the best thing ever.
Speaker 1: So that's amazing. So how do you think sorority rush shaped you into being the person that you are today.
Speaker 6: That's such a good question.
Speaker 7: I feel like it gave me good I would say, like life skills, like people skills Like I feel like so much of college is what you learn outside of the class room, and I feel like it prepared me for life after college better.
Speaker 3: Yea, So yeah, do you think that like rush talk on like TikTok, do you think that has made it like more competitive to get into a sorority?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I think so.
Speaker 7: I feel like it depends on your college too, But I definitely think social media like has blown it up and also glamorize it a little bit.
Speaker 6: And so, I mean, I had a great.
Speaker 7: Experience, but I can also see why it gets stereotyped as maybe being stressful or like very clicky. Like I could see why that would stress girls out as well, and just like competitive because so many girls want to be in one.
Speaker 1: I totally agree. Did you know about your school's rush process before starting?
Speaker 6: Honestly, no, Like no, I had no idea like going into it.
Speaker 7: I knew it wasn't in the summer like in the southern schools they're doing it like you go early for it. I knew it was like mine was the end of September, so that was and we were doing on like two weekends, and that was all I knew, so it wasn't as intense, but they were still like full, like six am to nine pm days each both weekends, so it was definitely still intense. But I didn't really know what I was getting into until I just already signed.
Speaker 6: Up for it.
Speaker 3: On a rush talk, I feel like you see like all like these videos and girls doing like get readies with me and like what they're gonna wear. Do you think there's any like lies like behind the rush talk because I feel like you can't always talk about what's like going on within your sorority because like the.
Speaker 6: Rules and stuff.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, no, I feel like that's a huge part of it. Like they make it very clear what topics to avoid. I I can't remember exactly, but I want to say it was like the Three Bees, like beer boys and something else, like basically saying like you want to keep it very pg, you don't want to talk about anything too controversial, like during the recruitment process at least, But then I also think they wanted people, They wanted the girls in the sorority to keep you know, a good, clean social media presence too, because then that would impact the sorority. But that was never an issue for me because I feel like I was never the type to like go posting all my alcohol or something like.
Speaker 6: I wasn't like.
Speaker 1: That at all.
Speaker 7: But I definitely could see why some girls would be like, oh, like this is off limits, or I don't know, there's there's a fine line, or I remember during rush, they all the people say like, don't bring up boys at all, and one girl in the room brought up like her dad, and then she quickly's talking and was like nervous, but it's like it's her dad, Like no one, no one really cared.
Speaker 6: But there's definitely the overthinking part where you're like, oh, should I have just said that? Or am I going to get in trouble?
Speaker 1: Oh I totally understand that. How would you explain your sorority experience to someone who's never been in one?
Speaker 3: Good one?
Speaker 6: That's such a good question.
Speaker 7: I feel like I'd like the process or just being in a sorority in general.
Speaker 1: I think all of it, you know, like if somebody looked at you and was like, why should I join a sorority or do you think this is the right decision, Like, what would you say to that person?
Speaker 7: I definitely I think I would encourage them to go for it, just because the worst that could happen is that you drop, Like if that's the worst that can happen. And I think it's a great way to give yourself a community in college. And I especially think if you go to like a bigger school too, it's really hard to like find your people. And you know, there's like the girls doing sports and then there's like theater in the more musical industry. And so I felt like being in a sorority kind of gave me that identity. And I remember in high school feeling like I was one of those girls that, like I was never really into sports, but I also wasn't really into like music or theater.
Speaker 6: But I always felt like I had this creative side.
Speaker 7: And I remember thinking, like sority like life is perfect because it's like it's social. You're also doing a lot of like volunteer work, which I truly believe in.
Speaker 6: You're surrounding yourself with people with good values, and I.
Speaker 7: Don't know, it's fun like the fast and like the outfits, like they make decks on like what to wear and like FASTO.
Speaker 6: It's like kind of creative and fun.
Speaker 7: So I'd encourage someone to go for it and if they didn't like it, they could always leave it.
Speaker 6: But I feel like I.
Speaker 7: Definitely think, at least from my school, it definitely gets this like very intimidating aspect. But I found most of the girls honest, honestly, like all were pretty nice and welcoming.
Speaker 6: With open arms.
Speaker 3: So clearly went into college pretty young, right I did.
Speaker 5: I started calling really young.
Speaker 8: I graduated high school when I was fourteen, so I had applied to CLA found out I got in just shooting my shop with my dream school.
Speaker 5: It was either that or USC, just because I was not going to move across the country at such a young age.
Speaker 8: But thank goodness, I ended up being a Bruin because that's where my loyalty has always lied. But of course, when I first started school, I was not thinking about anything social, to say the least. I was still doing all of the high school things with my friends and just going to class like a normal high schooler would.
Speaker 5: I mean, I wasn't even old enough to drive yet. Did you live at home? I did?
Speaker 8: I lived at home, so I live about fifteen minutes away from campus, but I had to get dropped off at class in the morning and I picked up in the afternoon. So it was a very strange experience to say the least.
Speaker 1: And so did you not DORM?
Speaker 8: I didn't DORM. I remember telling my mom when the first guy tried to hit on me after, I was.
Speaker 5: Like, Mom, he has facial hair. This is so weird.
Speaker 8: Because of course, even though he was probably not that old, he was like twenty or twenty one, which to me was way too old at having just turned fifteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I had just turned fifteen.
Speaker 1: Wow. So you graduated in high school at fourteen? Yeah, and then you were you got into UCLA and you were a freshman in college at fifteen years old.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 8: It was a very non traditional experience, to say the least.
Speaker 3: Did you end up joining a sorority?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 8: So right after I started college that was fall twenty nineteen, and then everything shut down because of COVID midway through my first year. So it definitely benefited me, despite how horrible COVID was, but it definitely benefited me having online school so that I could do all of the high school things with my friends. I still hung out with a high school friend group, went to homecome proms, and kind of wrapped up that experience in my first two years of college that were all online. And then the world opened back up again in twenty twenty one, and I was seventeen almost eighteen throughout that year, and that is when I decided that I wanted to get involved. All of my friends were about a year older than me and had graduated high school, so I could finally have the true freshman experience.
Speaker 1: So you felt like you were kind of now on the same track.
Speaker 8: Yes, So even though I was a junior, it felt like I was having the freshman experience. And I never saw myself wanting to join a sorority. I had the preconceived idea that they were cultie and weird.
Speaker 5: And I didn't want to buy my friends. But my mom was an assorty.
Speaker 8: She was in Alpha Gamma Delta and had the time of her life in Greek life and kept encouraging me to go to all of the socials and get to know what rush is like. And I had the idea that I could go through sorority rush, meet girls in all of these different houses, make friends across the road and then I would never have to join, but I would have so many friends immediately, which was I thought, my perfect plan. And then I ended up going through Rush and meeting all of these amazing girls who I loved, and they told me about how they were going to be watching The Bachelor on Monday nights together and having a met Gala watch party and having chapter dinners and going on retreats, and I had the biggest fomo ever and I was like, you guys are going to be doing all of these things without me, and that's why they hooked me, and I knew.
Speaker 5: That I had to join.
Speaker 1: Oh I love that, And so then how was the experience for you being younger?
Speaker 5: I loved it, Honestly.
Speaker 8: It felt like I had a huge group of built in big sisters, even with the girls in my pledge class, which was a lot of fun, but talking about things like I don't know how off the record I can go, but I mean most girls had a fake id going to college and it had like all of these experiences with guys, and I was so new to all of that territory. So it allowed for a lot of people to take me under their wing and show me the ropes of those kind of experiences that I didn't have in high school because I graduated so young.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's amazing.
Speaker 3: So you really did have like such a good time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I had such a great time.
Speaker 8: I rushed Alpha Fi, met a lot of my best friends there who I still keep in touch with. A couple of my close friends are still seniors and about to graduate this year. And it was the best decision. I'm so glad I did it, and I had a really great experience in Greek life.
Speaker 1: That's amazing. And did you feel differently in any way, because I know throughout your life you obviously have been in a bunch of roles and you're in the acting world, so you had some sort of a following going into college. I mean, some of the things that you were in are insane. I see clips of Good Doctor all the time and I'm like, this is amazing. So I mean, kudos to you. I know, the list goes on and on and on from Chosen Young Sheldon, Criminal Minds like it's insane. So kudos to you. But how did was that? Did that affect your experience at all going into college and especially being so young.
Speaker 8: It was a little bit different having a sense of responsibility and working. During my first year of school, I definitely had to miss out on a handful of social events to either prioritize an audition or I flew away a couple of times to film something. But I was very lucky to end up in a chapter where all of the girls were super career driven, so we had a lot of pre med students, girls on the dance team, and people who also had this kind of bigger responsibility outside of Greek life, so I never felt like punished or shamed for miss things, and it was a very supportive environment.
Speaker 5: And then when you have friends who were striving on their own.
Speaker 8: Path and wanting to follow their dreams and being very career oriented, and it makes you want to be busier and better at the same time.
Speaker 5: So that was a great environment for me at least.
Speaker 8: But I guess like the only thing that I really noticed about being younger than everyone else was just I guess more in like mixers with the frat environments. So even though I was seventeen, definitely called jailbait a lot of times, which is so fair. I'm glad that they didn't want to talk to me because I didn't really have any interest, so but besides that made a lot of great friends.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, but I'm also sure like the experience throughout your life, just like graduating high school so early and going into that college environment so young, you were probably also extremely mature for your age, especially being so career driven, like you were probably a thirty year old living in a seventeen year old body. Like really like the mentality wise, and I always got that too growing up because I had to grow up a little fast than most kids as well, and it really like it probably it made you who you are today. So everything happens for a reason, and it's you know, this is why you're getting your masters now at UCLA, so that's amazing.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I definitely had a unique perspective. So I could say that I had accomplished certain things or been working a quote unquote full time job my whole life, but I was like, oh, I've never taken a shot of alcohol, on the other hand, So it was fun to kind of find that balance and experiences as my friends as I got older and meshing my like social age and professional age at the same time, which and that was fun.
Speaker 1: That is great.
Speaker 3: Well, Caitlin thank you so much for coming on, and.
Speaker 5: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Best of luck, Thanks Bice,