Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This is Girls Talkboys Talk presented by Jigsaw Dating, preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys, and broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters at the Star.
Speaker 4: Welcome into another Thursday edition of Girls Talk Boys Talk, presented by Jigsaw, the preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys. Hailey Sutton, Aiashan Morrison, Jess Navarrez with you on this lovely Thursday. We got OTA's coming up later this afternoon. But before we get to today, let's talk about what happened last week, because that was our first media availability to hang out with the guys, get to chat with them, see kind of what they've been up to this offseason, and really see a glimpse of what this team could start to look like as we get closer and closer to training camp and then preseason and then the kick off of the twenty twenty three season.
Speaker 5: Now, I was not here last week.
Speaker 4: Obviously, you ladies held it down for us, So I kind of want to default to you just to kind of start things off. What did you see last week in OTAs in that media availability that you.
Speaker 5: Were impressed with.
Speaker 4: Let's talk practice first and then we'll kind of get into what the players had to say. But just from a practice standpoint, what did we see? And again, I want to back up really quick here because OTAs are so tricky because it's really kind of a tease right there, and especially with this organization because they've had some issues sticking to the NFL guidelines with the new CBA and all of that. So I know the focus this year is to really make sure they're not going over their practice time or doing anything that's going to get them any penalties later in the summer. So that being said, what did you see at practice? How you shall go to you first that maybe stood out to you.
Speaker 6: So I think the biggest thing that stood out to me looking at the offense and just kind of looking at now granted they're running drills and they're they're doing seven on seven, but the tempo.
Speaker 7: Of things seems right, just it seems sped up.
Speaker 6: It seems like they really want to focus on focus on efficiency, but they want to be able to play fast. And then when you also look at the addition of douce Van Tony Pollard actually got some reps, which was crazy to even see with his uh with his recovery. But then you start and then Cavante Turpin got some wide receiver you know, reps as well. The uptick and speed on the offensive side of the ball really looks real, not only the tempo and the cadence and everything, but just the additions that you have made seem like you want to be able to play fast, and to them it sounds like fast means can also counteract with efficiency. And that's that was what stood out to me the most last week.
Speaker 8: Oh that's a perfect way to put it.
Speaker 9: Oh my goodness, yes, and hitting the nail right on the head, because it was like their communication took a took a step up, and they took a notch up with really emphasizing the communication and you can see it. You can tell that everybody is on the same page together.
Speaker 8: You know, they are really taking.
Speaker 9: What is it taking call to what it means to be an efficient offense with the communication factor.
Speaker 8: What stood out for me was.
Speaker 9: You know, obviously we went in there looking at our own individual players and wanting to see individual things. I was really focused on the wide receiver group because I wanted to see how they meshed together. And let me just say, Brandon Cook's speed, that is real thing. I thought lightning flashed in the Ford Center when we were watching them. But what I liked is how he would individually work with these guys. So I saw him from the time we were in there, and we were in there for what an hour. I saw him talking to Cavante on the side. I saw him talking to MG on the side.
Speaker 8: I saw him talking to Ceede Lamb on the side.
Speaker 9: So what I really liked about it is that when we're talking about Brandon Cooks, it's one thing that we're hearing it, and we're hearing it from the guy saying, yeah that our in lead and we know he brings that. But to see it and within that hour, and that's not even a long time in retrospect, just seeing him personally work with those guys and showing them our emotions and just moving their body physically to show them things, it was really awesome to see. So I was honed in on that I usually talk about Cavante getting wide receiver reps, we saw that he was also the only guy taking returner reps. So that's something to know, another reminder that yes, everything is still speculation and we're still keep an eye on that.
Speaker 8: Deuce was fast.
Speaker 9: From what I saw I got to see Deuce, there was two separate wings playing, so you had these guys playing over here. So we kept like getting whiplash going back and forth watching it just looked good. It looked good, It looked where it needed to be from where they left off last season.
Speaker 4: I have loved because I went back and listened to a few of the guys. We've had like the absolute craziest week with media days and everything else under the sun. But I went back and listened to a couple of the guys and one of them that I listened to was Brandon Coe Looks and you know, we've heard him talk about how important it is for him to be a leader to this group, and it's interesting to me when you see still the conversation surrounding him and even Stefan Gilmour and how they're washed and how they're not going to be as impactful as we're thinking. And obviously that comes from fans or it comes from you know, opposite fan base supporters, and so there's there's a lot of talk, but it's really refreshing to know that, you know, the locker room still remains what it was from last season, where they are still relying on that trust from you know, the guys within the group and they're not listening to a lot of the outside noise.
Speaker 5: And something else that really stood out to me as well.
Speaker 4: We talk about how, you know, the word for the last season has been resilience, and that's been their word, and that's kind of what they're focused on.
Speaker 5: The word that I kept.
Speaker 4: Hearing thrown around in between Mike McCarthy and Dak Prescott was purpose, and Dak kept saying that purpose is what he's focused on right now. And I loved how he broke that down because, you know, purpose at face value is a pretty it's a pretty easy word to understand, right it's your goal, it's what you want to do, it's it's why you're doing it.
Speaker 5: But he took it a step further.
Speaker 4: It was not just you know, the purpose of his passes, but the purpose of conversations he's having with his head coach in terms of getting better and getting used to having a play caller.
Speaker 5: It's purpose.
Speaker 4: When he's speaking to some of those younger guys and trying to make sure that they can all get on the same page so that those interceptions don't happen again. So it's sounding like to me that purpose is what's going to drive them this year. I'm interested to talk to the guys today just to see if that word continues to pop up and resonate. But again, with OTAs, it's so challenging because you know, we can only see what we can see, and we can only speculate what we can speculate. But it feels pretty refreshing, it feels pretty interesting. I was kind of reading along as well on our website. Patrick had some really good nuggets as far as some stuff that he talked about. He mentioned Cavante Turpin, He mentioned Michael Galla feeling much more like himself. I saw Michael yesterday at Media Days and got to chat with him. He says he's feeling good, he's feeling excited, so that'll be good for him as well. And then something else that I thought was kind of cool to look forward to. He talked about Mozzie Smith, and he talked about how Mozzie was already working his way into that defensive line and not only working his way in, but he's being.
Speaker 5: Double teamed, so yeah, he was in practice.
Speaker 4: You can already tell the kind of threat that he's going to be as well. I mean, if this offensive line feels like they have to double team against him, I can imagine what the Giants will have to worry about in week one. So a lot of fun stuff there. Anything else that stood out to you, guys?
Speaker 6: I wanted to add on to what you said about purpose because I'm I'm so glad you brought it up because he slipped my mind because it stood out to both of us, we kept hearing it. I think that that's also important. It's so funny because when you're a kid, your parents tell you like you're not supposed to ask why, Like they tell you to do something.
Speaker 7: You're supposed to just do it.
Speaker 6: But if you're really trying to come together as a team, make guys better the understanding of why are we running this play right now to counter what the defense is doing?
Speaker 7: Why is this why is this the game plan?
Speaker 6: Why are we throwing out these packages instead of these packages We might see guys offensively in a one game that we might not see in the next game. And on the defense as well, I think that that's very healthy communication for a team to build, you know, to build confidence.
Speaker 7: And that's another thing too. They're confident.
Speaker 6: You can feel the confidence, and I think that's because they know why they're doing what they're doing, what the reasons why they're running certain plays and these installations and stuff. So I'm so glad you brought that up. I wanted to just add that I feel like that's important for this team's growth as well.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and the word purpose.
Speaker 9: It's funny because Ayusha and I were sitting next to each other in the press conference with Mike McCarthy and he said play call purpose. He talked about PCP and we kind of smacked each other and move, yes, that is it. Because he was asked, have you how much time extra time have you spent with Dak while you're kind of restructuring the offense as it stands right now with the play calling in the playbook, and he said, there's never enough time spent, but you know, no worries football football talk is part of it. It's more of a collaborative play calling. And so then he went into talking about PCP play call purpose, and Dak even mentioned that too when he was talking so again, knowing why they're doing it and being on the same page about it, and I think just being more collective about it, being able to say, hey, this didn't work for me because of XYZ and Mike McCarthy actually, you know, taking that for what it is and saying, Okay, well then let's try this. I think it's just more collaboration more than anything, is what you're seeing. So PCP, that was something that we learned last week. Something else I wanted to mention too about everything that we saw was the Kicker situation, because that's a big storyline. Patrick and I were sitting next to each other when we were watching Tristan kick. He made six of his eight attempts and the two that he missed were I want to say, closer to the thirty and then it was closer to the forty five.
Speaker 8: I want to say, not for sure. But again we were.
Speaker 9: Kind of talking looking back and forth on both sides of the field here when this was happening. But overall, I mean, I got to chat with him at Media Days, just briefly, and I said, how do you feel?
Speaker 8: And he said, I feel good. Good.
Speaker 9: You need to so the Kicker situation is good. You mentioned MG talked to him at media days yesterday as well, and he looked like he had a pep in his step.
Speaker 8: I mean he just looked he looked like yes, I.
Speaker 9: Got no, yes, yeah, So it was it was cool. It was really great getting to catch up with the guys for the first time since i mean last season, and the last time we got to talk to them was obviously not of good spirits because of how the season had ended. But to see them refreshed, ready to go, recharged and in a new spirit is really good to see.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and for for reference as well when we talk about media days, the Cowboys held an internal media day yesterday, so just to get all of the video yesterday and Tuesday, but just to get all the videos of like the you know, the video board stuff that you see at at and T Stadium. Are incredible graphic designers, and Obia did a photo shoot so she could get all of her pictures for all of the cool graphics and stuff that you guys see on social media. She's also designed the poll banners and the video board outside of the Ford Center as well, so I know, she's like my favorite person ever, so a lot of good stuff as well. They did some stuff with social media, so a lot of cool stuff coming out with those guys. And so when we talk about media days, that's what we're referring to. Before I get back to that, I did want to mention you talked about the kicking situation with Christan Viiscano.
Speaker 5: Viscano Viscano.
Speaker 4: Have we decided how to say his last week's Vscanosco Okay, I promise I will never mess that up again.
Speaker 7: I'll let y'all do it.
Speaker 10: Scan.
Speaker 4: It's interesting when you when you talk about the kicker position, because two weeks ago Bones Fossil said, you know, anyone who has a kicking leg is available.
Speaker 7: To you immediately.
Speaker 5: I know, I know he's available. I've thought about it.
Speaker 4: I I do plan on having a conversation with Bones about getting me a tryout.
Speaker 5: I think I'm qualified enough.
Speaker 4: I got to get through this kickball season that we're having here with the Doboys first, before I can see if you're any of.
Speaker 9: Us headitive mode, you might as well just keep it on and keep going.
Speaker 8: Go talk to Bone. See what he says.
Speaker 5: Oh goodness.
Speaker 4: But in terms of Tristan Bisquano, Uh, there's not really any competition for him right now, you know, so you take what he's doing with the grain of salt. But I did just want to mention I googled free agent kickers just to see who's available on the market right now. Obviously, Robbie Gould is available out of the forty nine ers, right and suck up from the Buccaneers. Brett Maher is still available, Matt Prater from the Cardinals. He also spent time with the Lions. H Ky for Bath is also available from the Commanders. And then, uh, when I opened this up, I was surprised because I saw Dan Bailey's name on this list. I didn't realize that his contract call him up had already right now is coming up.
Speaker 7: So uh listen, Kai Kyle was that guy when he was there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I thought was that long, but he was that guy. Dan Bailey was money though.
Speaker 9: Remember those were the glory days when you can sit back and you're like Dan.
Speaker 5: Bailey's in, We're great.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you were like, I can I can go take my potty break. I know it's going to be a solid when I come back out, And.
Speaker 8: Uh, yeah, that's interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, A lot of a lot of guys on that list, so that'll be something to keep an eye out for. And something else that I found intriguing from Mike's press conference and even previously when we got to talk to the coordinators was their interest.
Speaker 5: In the XFL and the USFL.
Speaker 4: That is something that really has become not just like a blip or a back seat option, but it's cool to see how that is becoming such a viable place to find players, and they've been speaking about it in terms of finding a kicker from there.
Speaker 5: So yep, now we're going to.
Speaker 4: Have to start doing some research on the XFL and the USFL guys too, So a lot of fun opportunities for these guys here in OTAs now. They will obviously continue practicing today. We'll get to talk to them later. But something I want to talk about when we get back on this other side of the break is the offensive line, because I have a feeling there's still going to be some shuffling. It's not really solidified. So let's go ahead and take our first break.
Speaker 5: When we come back.
Speaker 4: We are going to talk offensive line on the Dallas Cowboys here on Girls Talk Boys Stop.
Speaker 11: At Jigsaw Dating. We obviously want the Cowboys to bring that sixth ring home. But to be honest, we're more focused on finding the person who will put a ring on your finger. That's why we created a dating app that reveals your face through meaningful conversation so you can date deeper, because it's personality that matters the most, not looks. Join Jigsaw Dating Today, partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 12: If you've been thinking about weight loss surgery, my Beriatric Solutions has made it easier for you to schedule your initial consultation from the safety, comfort and convenience of your own home. You'll meet one on one with a bariatric surgeon over a private and secure video call. You'll learn everything you need to know about the options available in which procedure is best for you. If you've been considering weight loss surgery and are ready to take the first step, call my Bariatric Solutions today at eight four four three two six six two sixty six. That's eight four four three two six six two sixty six, or go to Myberiatric Solutions dot com.
Speaker 13: Dear past, present, and future football watchers, you know why we're here. Bill Football season is back woo and since that's too amazing to miss a single seconds worth. Pepsi is officially giving you permission to always put football first. Like maybe those in laws.
Speaker 2: Are back in town. Well better hope.
Speaker 13: They'll football fans, because your Sunday is completely booked. Long story short, crack open a Pepsi and don't let anything get between you and your football watching. With love PEPSI mean for football watching.
Speaker 10: That's what I like.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm Danny mccraig, Dallas Cowboys alumni player here with's Smoothie King and Smoothie King wants to ask you, what's that sound? That's the sound of you and everyone else absolutely loving new smoothie bowls from Smoothie King and whoo me too. These smoothie bowls start with Usaii and Pataya and are handcrafted with fresh topics like sliced bananas, sweetberries, crunchy purely Elizabeth Granola, and his savory peanut butter drizzle. New smoothie bowls only at Smoothie King, the official smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Well, welcome back to Girls Talk Boys Talk persentboy Jick.
Speaker 4: So we're going to talk a little offensive line and some freed up cap space.
Speaker 5: But first we're going to go to Jess.
Speaker 9: Let's talk Tacos in Tunes real quick, because you can head to the Miller Lighthouse at AT and T Stadium for the Dallas Cowboys Tacos and Tunes Festival presented by Miller Lite, rescheduled to Saturday, June third, from three to eight pm. Enjoy a variety of tacos and food truck options while you sip on cold drinks and listen to live music. Admission and parking for the Dallas Cowboys Tacos in Tune.
Speaker 8: Festival are free.
Speaker 9: Visit at and T Stadium dot com slash Tacos and Tunes for more info and we will see you there. Tacos Tunes, all the things, Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 8: Oh my goodness, count me in.
Speaker 4: I know, I think I'm gonna try to go to that because the first day, the first original date, I can't even remember when it was at this point when I wasn't ay we go back.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the weather and all of that. But yeah, let's tacos tunes.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm excited.
Speaker 10: I love that.
Speaker 5: We'll go celebrate.
Speaker 4: This was on earlier as well. On I always reference our TV. I wish you guys could see.
Speaker 5: Whenever I just porn crazy.
Speaker 4: They're counting down the top I think the best teams in NFL history. The Cowboys have been on here twice since I've been here since about ninety forty. So we're watching EMITTT Smith run into the end zone.
Speaker 5: We love it.
Speaker 4: We love when America's team is recognized for the things and the accomplishments that they have done in the storied franchise. So shout out to our Dallas Cowboys. And speaking of the Dallas Cowboys, let's talk a little bit about the offensive line. It's kind of been a little bit of a question mark ever since the team lost Terrence Steele last season against the Texans, he tore his ACL and his MCL. But a super positive recovery process for him. You know, he's been working alls off season. We've seen him out on the field and then obviously getting to speak to him yesterday at Media Days. He's locked in, he's loaded, he feels good, he feels like he's making good progress. So that's exciting, But it also means that for at least the temporary that means Tyrone Smith is still working at right tackle as they continue to shuffle the line around. Now, it'll be interesting what the starting offensive line will actually look like because they lost some key pieces. Connor McGovern and is no longer a part of this team, so that'll be a gap to fill. You do get Tyler Beattish, and you do you know you have Tyler Smith as well.
Speaker 5: But I'm just curious to see.
Speaker 4: How they're going to utilize who where, because what I don't want to see is another situation where like, yes, we have the versatility for guys to play, you know, wherever they're and they're you know, willing to do that. But I want a strong offensive line. I want to give Dak a chance this year. I want to give our running backs an opportunity to get through and find some holes. I want to give our tight ends an opportunity to get involved in the offense and not be so laser focused on blocking all the time. So I really want to see some continuity from this offensive line. And so my question to you, ladies is where do you see that continuity being? Where do you still see holes where this offensive line should be focusing on during this offseason otiers, And I know it's a loaded question, That's why I'm asking.
Speaker 8: You, guys.
Speaker 6: Okay, I wrote down lower who go play left in my notes because listen, I I really feel like with Terrence Steele listening to him talking to him, not sure you can't guarantee when he's gonna be ready, but if he is not ready, I think that Tylan Tyrant is going to take on right tackle. Michael Gelk, he mentioned it in an article this week, is that he really does feel as though that.
Speaker 7: Would be the move.
Speaker 6: So then your question is like, so, who if Tyler is your left tackle, because he's been taking at practice, he took reps there, who's your left guard? And so really for me is looking at the battle at left guard right now, and the coaches seem like they have faith in Chimui dooga. However, that is a competition, and Matt farnioc took quite a few snacks at center.
Speaker 7: But he also took reps at left guard.
Speaker 6: And haven't gotten to see a whole bunch of Matt Farnac, but the film that I was able to watch from him against Philly a couple of years ago, and just what he's able to do. He does play with some power, and I just I feel like this offensive line is going to be as of right now, there's so many question marks, but it's very contingent on where Terrence is in his recovery and stuff, and I think a lot of what they're doing right now is kind of preventive things and trying to figure out what's going to work if he is not ready to go week one.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and something to mention too was that Zach Martin didn't participate in OTA, So what we saw was a very different O line without Zach Martin.
Speaker 8: So it was it was so weird.
Speaker 4: It was We'd never want to see this team without that man and at his rightful position. It was.
Speaker 8: It was very weird seeing it.
Speaker 9: But so what we saw most I think during OTA's among the shuffle was you saw Tyler Smith at left tackle, left guard, you had Matt Farniyac center, at Tyler Biattish right guard.
Speaker 8: You had Josh Ball who was.
Speaker 9: Getting good reps at right guard, and then you had Tyrone Smith at right tackle. So again, this is without Zach Martin. So this is not your set in stone. This is the first media day we got to go see OTA's right, So take what we say with a grain of salt because it's not set in stone. But yeah, that was stressful watching and it was interesting because I did talk to Tyler Biattish a lot. I talked to him in the locker room after OTAs, and then I spent media day with him where we had a bit of a weight so I probably was with him for an hour, if not a little bit longer than that. So we had nothing but time to talk about things. And so I asked him, I said, does this make you nervous, the fact that you know nothing is really set in stone, you don't have your staple guys in every set position of this O line. And he said no, because what we do get is we get this shuffle and I'm able to learn how to communicate and have that cadence with every single person, no matter who it is, because it really starts from him and then it works its way out for the.
Speaker 8: Communication factor of it.
Speaker 9: So he said, I'm not worried about the communication, and if I feel like there's a little bit of a drop off of communication with somebody, I make sure to go work with them individually, one on one to figure out.
Speaker 8: What the issue is.
Speaker 9: So that was that was reassuring to hear that Tyler Beattish can can kind of make it work with whoever, but that that was what I saw. So yeah, I.
Speaker 6: Wonder if that's the new thing though, Like you mentioned, Haley, I'm sorry, I'm no, You're good. But you mentioned continuity, and that's something that through the NFL we always hang our hat on as far as offensive line. You want continuity, you want continuity. But with it being seventeen games in a season now, it feels as though this coaching staff is preparing for those scenarios because we've seen in the last couple of years, specifically with this team, is that injuries happened, injuries happened, and you have to learn on the fly, and them kind of being preventive about that and seeing what they have in these guys right now is what's happening, and so I want that to your point, I wonder if that is gonna be if this is kind of the new standard. Is like, yes, you want continuity, you want the best five and everything, but is it likely that that best five is going to finish out the whole seventeen game season.
Speaker 7: Let's prepare for the worst. I guess you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you mentioned Josh Ball and he's a guy who I actually have circled on like someone who I'm paying attention to this offseason because I wasn't.
Speaker 5: Here for a preseason last year.
Speaker 4: I wasn't here for training camp, so I didn't really get to see a ton of who he was.
Speaker 5: You know, at that time. The only Josh Ball I've seen.
Speaker 4: Was the Houston game when we lost Terrence Steel and he stepped in for Terrence momentarily before they said Jason Peters get out there and handle it. Yeah, and we know how that game goes, a ninety eight dark drive down the field capped off by that touchdown in Cowboys win. So he's actually someone who I've had circled on my like roster as far as players to watch because.
Speaker 5: I think very similar to me.
Speaker 4: That's kind of the only taste that Cowboys fans have really gotten to see out of him as well. So I'm curious to see his progression. You know, how he's going to fit all that good stuff. Yeah, the offensive line is definitely uh important, and it's it's it's there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, I'm a lost for something.
Speaker 9: I also wanted to make sure to mention that I meant to mention the last segment, but you totally just spark my brain when you mentioned the tight ends, and you don't want them to block.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, I want them to block.
Speaker 9: You don't want you don't want them to be laser focused.
Speaker 8: You want them more involved. Sure is Haley wants them to block. Hayley wants them to block.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 9: It's interesting because we finally got to see all of them standing next to each other, and man, they're like clones of each other.
Speaker 12: Kids.
Speaker 8: It's insane.
Speaker 9: The poor horsemen are insane. And they were getting a lot of really good reps. I mean, you saw Scoon Maker in there, you saw Jake, you saw Peyton, you saw.
Speaker 8: Even Sean getting a lot of good reps as well.
Speaker 9: So what I really like too is it seems like they're really focused on not only you know, blocking, like.
Speaker 8: You said, but the reps that I did see.
Speaker 9: You saw Jake Ferguson making some good plays.
Speaker 8: He was spree, he was ready, he was ready to go.
Speaker 6: Yes, I'm so glad you mentioned him as it was so good because that you can see in his movement. I think titand is such a refined position. If you can be an athlete and everything, but it takes time to understand, like the body of a tight end, the way that they play angles, and he seems like he's getting it, and watching him, he seems more free in his play.
Speaker 7: You can tell so.
Speaker 6: And I saw that he got invited to Travis Kelsey's camp and stuff, and these are all things that are going to help him be better. But you can tell he's put in work in the off season. You can tell he's put in work, playbook, and also taking care of his body.
Speaker 9: And you heard it here first because I got to talk to Schoonmaker yesterday, and y'all know I've been hanging high on this since he mentioned I want to talk to Chason Witten.
Speaker 8: I want to know and I asked him. I was like, did you get in contact with him?
Speaker 9: And he said yes, And I learned so much it almost felt like my head was growing from all the things he was telling me. And so unfortunately we're in media days, everyone's being taken every which way, and I was like, what.
Speaker 8: Did he say?
Speaker 9: And then my player, who was Tyler Biattist at the time, was done, so I had to go to the next station. I was like, hold that thought, we will come back to this conversation. So I really hope I get to go back and talk to him, But he did talk to Jason Witton and he said he really was soaking it in from the two minutes I got to talk to him about it. So you've heard it here. First they got in contact. So let's see what a Let's see what Scoon can take from what Jason Wentten had to tell him.
Speaker 4: It's interesting as well with those tight ends because you the assumption is with Dalton Schultz no longer being here, that Jake Ferguson is the natural shoe in to take over that Dalton Schultz role, right, Like that's just it makes sense. But when you look at how competitive that room truly is. I know, we always talk and we joke about them being the besties, the four horsemen, and they are, like they're so tight on and off the field, which is tremendous. It is also tremendous because it creates competition, and I really believe that spoon Mayer is going to challenge Jake on some of those first team reps. I think he is going to be a significant contributor to this team from a blocking standpoint, but also getting more involved in the offense. I know we've talked about it before, just the system that he came from in Michigan.
Speaker 5: He's already prepared to play at the professional level.
Speaker 4: So I think it's very good that Jake is taking strides to become that tight end one.
Speaker 5: And you can tell from his attitude too.
Speaker 4: He's always kind of had that kind of swaggy dominant, you know, like I'm the dude kind of energy. You see that a little bit more, but it's like this much more mature. Yeah, you know what I mean, Like he's carrying. He's still the same swaggy, tatted up Jake Ferguson, who you know is he's cool and he's chill, but it's just like this much more refined.
Speaker 6: And that's also because they drafted a tight end and like you know what I'm saying, Like they drafted a tight end in the second round and so that lights fire to his but too, you know, to let him know, to let him know that, you know, you know, you got to keep working, You've got to keep getting better. And yeah, a competition, mich McCarthy's huge about competition.
Speaker 7: Trying to camp Bath be crazy. The competition in all the different spots.
Speaker 4: It is going to be sensational. All right, Let's go ahead and take our second break. This is a good stopping point. When we come back, the Cowboys have cleared up a little bit of cap space. We're going to talk about that and maybe where they can utilize that money to make this team even better.
Speaker 5: Here on Girls Talk, Boys Talk, presented by Jigsaw.
Speaker 11: At Jigsaw Dating, we obviously want the Cowboys to bring that sixth ring home, but to be honest, we're more focused on finding the person who will put a ring on your finger. That's why we created a dating app that reveals your face through meaningful conversation so you can date deeper, because it's personality that matters the most, not looks. Join Jigsaw Dating Today, dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 13: Dear, past, present and future football watchers, you.
Speaker 10: Know why we're here.
Speaker 13: Build Football season is back woo, and since that's too amazing to miss a single seconds worth, Pepsi is officially giving you permission to always put football first. Like maybe those in.
Speaker 10: Laws are back in town.
Speaker 2: Well better hope.
Speaker 13: They'll football fans, because your Sunday is completely booked. Long story short, Crack open a Pepsi and don't let anything gift between.
Speaker 4: You and your football watching.
Speaker 13: With love, PEPSI made for football watching. That's what I like.
Speaker 12: If you've been thinking about weight loss surgery, my Beriatric Solutions has made it easier for you to schedule your initial consultation from the safety, comfort and convenience of your own home. You'll meet one on one with a bariatric surgeon over a private and secure video call. You'll learn everything you need to know about the options available in which procedure is best for you. If you've been considering weight loss surgery and are ready to take the first step, call my Beriatric Solutions today at eight four four three two six six two sixty six. That's eight four four three two six six two sixty six, or go to Myberiatric Solutions dot com.
Speaker 10: I'm Doak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Blockchain dot com is one of the most trusted ways to buy, sell, and trade crypto. Whether you're always on the go or stay closer to home, blockchain dot com is just a few taps away put the power of crypto in your pocket, so no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to fit your life. For cryptopros, rookies and anyone in between. Blockchain dot Com makes it easy to own a piece of the future. Blockchain dot Com. Trust it by millions, Trust it by America's team.
Speaker 5: Welcome back to our final fifteen minutes.
Speaker 4: You're on Girls Talkboys Talk, presented by Jigsoth prefer Dating, partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Let's go over to Jess.
Speaker 9: Join us for a Dallas Cowboys Juneteenth celebration in partnership with Miller Lite at Millerlite House at at and T Stadium on Saturday, June seventeenth from four to eight pm. Enjoyed live entertainment, play long games, and shop local black owned businesses. For more information, you can visit at and T Stadium dot com. Slash June teenth sounds amazing.
Speaker 4: Yes, I will be am seeing that as well, So come hang out with the girl, yes, as we celebrate the incredibleness that is black culture. All right, shifting gears here for our last block. Last week, I believe it was last week. Last week, the NFL Network put out the top ten most competitive rosters up until this point, and I'm gonna read you guys to top five, So coming in at number one. Unfortunately, the Philadelphia Eagles number two Kansas City Chiefs, number three the San Francisco forty nine ers, and number four the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 5: Guess who's number five? Spoiler alert they.
Speaker 6: Got up let the Cowboys at five, and it's your Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: They have in terms of what they did in the off season, in terms of what they did, you know, in free agency, all that stuff. The Cowboys are going into twenty twenty three as of right now as the number.
Speaker 5: Five most complete roster. Now we know there's obviously still some holes.
Speaker 4: We talked about the kicker position, the office and blind there's still some holes as well, and a couple other places where they can do some move in and shift in and and all that good stuff. But something that did come out this morning because of the June first deadline, a lot more cap space has been freed up.
Speaker 5: A lot of that because of Ezekiel Elliott. So the Cowboys have roughly.
Speaker 4: Ten point nine million dollars freed in cap space because of when they did the release for Ezekiel Elliott. So my question for you ladies as we wrap up this show, where do you spend that money?
Speaker 5: Do you spend it at all? What do you do?
Speaker 8: Kicker kicker, kicker?
Speaker 9: Here?
Speaker 5: Are you telling me that I could make Hayley go?
Speaker 9: Why are you.
Speaker 8: Still sitting here, ma'am Hailey?
Speaker 5: I'll man, I'm gonna have to drop the video.
Speaker 4: So for for reference, I played soccer in college, obviously, but when I was working in Alabama, I did a story over a young lady who was the first high school female kicker in Auburn high school history. She's the coolest girl ever, Ellie Rodney. To this day, I still keep up with her. She's awesome. But I did a story with her, and she taught me how to kick a field goal, and she walked me through it one by one, piece by piece, And I kid you not.
Speaker 5: I'm bragging a little bit, but I kid you not.
Speaker 4: My first field goal attempt was about thirty five out.
Speaker 8: Okay, so why are you sitting here?
Speaker 3: Go talk to both?
Speaker 9: Wait?
Speaker 5: Wait, it's about thirty five yards out. I was wearing Vans jeans and.
Speaker 7: A polo flex on him, man, and y'all.
Speaker 5: I'm not gonna lie. I drilled it. Tell him I drilled it.
Speaker 4: Will I will read, I'll find the video. It's on Twitter, I'll find it. I will post it up.
Speaker 5: But I'm not kidding, y'all. I'm a boller.
Speaker 9: Look, do you have workout clothes with you? O start again in a couple hours. I'm gonna need you ready to go.
Speaker 5: We'll see, let's see in the little pads.
Speaker 9: No, it's I say kicker because Jerry specifically talked about, you know, when we talked to him recently, about how he wants somebody who's a little bit younger as compared to an older guy. Which makes sense, right. You want somebody to grow within your organization. You don't want to keep wor about this kicker situation season after season after season. You need stability within your kicker. And I think you know when you look at what happened last season with Brett maher is he still remains the top scorer in the NFL. I mean you're talking about a kicker. It was beating out everybody that had the most points in the NFL. And the thing is is, yes, we know what happened come playoff time. We understand why the decision is to you know, not have him in the conversation anymore. But you also see what a difference that made within those crunch time games when you needed the kicker Brett Maher was there, especially when you're talking the first what five weeks of the season post Dak Prescott thumb injury and Cooper Rush was kind of getting his feet on the ground. You knew you could count on the kicking game, and it was just a good place to be in for me. If you want a younger guy, you need to invest in somebody, and you need to have that incentive, which is, yes, you're coming to play for the Dallas Cowboys, but here's a little bit of extra cash, you know, spend on the kicker. Don't be cheap on the kicker, because again, it is such an important part of this game. And I don't want to sit here and worry about this kicker situation anymore.
Speaker 8: It's stressed.
Speaker 9: It is one of those things if I think about it too much before I go to bed, I'm.
Speaker 8: Not going to bed like that. It's just it's eating me.
Speaker 5: You need to read a book you like it got you like that.
Speaker 8: I've been I've been stressing because here's the thing.
Speaker 9: This is no shade to trist Tristan it all right, this is no shade. But you need healthy competition in here. Because we saw what happened last season. I mean, we're talking all the way up until training camp before Brett Mahert came in, and even then Brett Maher's history with the Cowboys prior, nobody was really excited about it at first, and then you know, he had his growth, he did everything he needed to do. But all that to say, I'm I am worried about the O line where it stands and words a heavy word, I'm I'm I'm concerned to what it looks like right now.
Speaker 8: I will not be concerned come September.
Speaker 9: I know that, right Yeah, so where it is right now, But kicker, I'm concerned about where kicker stands right now. It's a big question mark what it can look like come September, especially when you're talking about these big, shining names that are still available and kickers a position that every team can always spruce up if they don't have somebody that's dependable and.
Speaker 14: Reliable kicker, Kicker spend on a kicker Well yeah, kicker, clearly she was not playing, but yeah, so of course kicker.
Speaker 6: I think the Cowboy's gonna either hold on to that change and see what happens in training camp, see if somebody get danged up see if there's a need there, I will say my spody sense to start tingling when you said that, Yeah, when you said that Josh Ball was playing right guard, and I know he was, but if is he the backup right guard?
Speaker 7: To all right, We're.
Speaker 6: Gonna talk about that another day, but that you So it's to Zach Martin so that I.
Speaker 4: Hate throwing shade to these guys because it's so nice.
Speaker 7: We're evaluating shade barnacles.
Speaker 9: And the thing is is anything you we say on here, we would tell them, and that is that's important to know.
Speaker 6: O line help, possibly bring in someone for you know, O line help, if that's possible.
Speaker 7: But I also to if.
Speaker 6: I'm not mistaken, I don't know if it's CD or Trayvon is I think CD has the fifth year, but Trayvon year.
Speaker 5: Trayvon is in a contract yere, so there could be.
Speaker 6: You know, maybe conversations of talking about his cash or however they decide to do that going into next season, just to kind of settle things out, so there's not that I'm.
Speaker 7: Gonna get paid all during the season and stuff.
Speaker 6: So maybe that's something they do, but they're gonna hold onto that coin.
Speaker 7: They're gonna see what they.
Speaker 6: Got at training camp and uh, and then they'll make their decisions from there, because I think they brought they brought inter camp, right, yeah, Anthony Barr Camp the Kicker her cam. Yeah, so they they're going to hold on to that cash and see what they have and a gentleman at camp, and then they'll probably decide like, Okay, well we do need this.
Speaker 7: It's more so kind of scene what they got in house. First.
Speaker 5: You mentioned CD. We keep talking about media days.
Speaker 8: It's fun.
Speaker 5: It was fun to.
Speaker 4: See them at Media Days before I got to see them at OTAs because that was my first like re introduction, not the introduction that's dumb, but you know what I mean, that's the my first time seeing them really in their element since San Francisco.
Speaker 5: And so they're on a good mood.
Speaker 4: They're hyped up, they're taking pictures and you know, like they're doing all their little hype stuff. And I was walking around with Sam Williams, and I love seeing Sam. Sam's a guy who I've covered in my career previously, so we have that connection and I just I love spending time with him because he's just the biggest goofball. He never takes anything serious unless it's football. So anyways, I'm walking around with him and we're getting ready to go into the room where they're doing some stuff with our creative team, and CD is standing outside, and so we were talking I think about like piercings or something like that. I had nothing to do with anything that was important, but we were talking about piercings, and CD casually just drops in the conversation. He's like, because one of the promo girls had a like hurt the inside of her ear was pierced, like I don't know how to describe it, but it was crazy and it looked like it was painful. So that's what we were talking about, and and CD. So we're all talking about that, and CD is like, yeah, I was hanging out with Usher one time and he had that ear piercing to he said it hurt too, And for me like, okay, cool, Like I'm sure these people have like Hella important people in their phone, so I.
Speaker 5: Didn't think anything of it. But before anyone.
Speaker 4: Could say anything, Sam was like, Oh, you're just gonna name drop us like that in the conversation, Like we're not like that, Like that's not normal, and.
Speaker 5: CD just as cool as possible.
Speaker 4: He kind of like flicked his dreads back and he's like he's like, yeah, like we were just hanging out like we were just you know, at a at a function, and I was like, okay, yeah, we're just out of function with Usher, so oh man cowboy.
Speaker 15: Right, like, oh to know what piercings was great, but it's just it is really good just to see how good of a mood they're in, just to kind of.
Speaker 5: Bring things full circle. I did think Sam, like I said, Sam was fun.
Speaker 4: I asked him what his goals were this season, and he said, I want to get ten sacks.
Speaker 5: He said, I had twelve tackles for last last year. I had five.
Speaker 4: I believe he had five sacks last year, but that's his goal.
Speaker 5: He said, I want ten sacks this year.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's a guy. I think it's taken up up tick in this.
Speaker 5: He looks bigger too.
Speaker 4: That's always something that's interesting too when you see these guys.
Speaker 5: Layton has slimmed up.
Speaker 4: He actually is joking about how his shoulder pads didn't fit because he because he's slimmed up a little bit.
Speaker 7: Tyler Smith looks like a unit.
Speaker 8: Yeah yeah, yeah, like.
Speaker 4: He's like baby Osa, because Osa to me is like prototypical, Like when I think of a football player, I think.
Speaker 5: Of OsO Diggis.
Speaker 4: It was just big shoulders, strong legs, like just solid and Tyler Smith is on his way to that. But Sam as well, his arms were a lot wrong. He lost a little bit of the baby way in his face. So, uh, we're looking good guy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's something that I really noticed from the guys being in the locker room.
Speaker 7: I'm I ain't gona lot of y'all.
Speaker 6: That's that's kind of from the draft and just kind of how I look at players is how lean they are, how they and so I really wanted to ask the guys like, what did you do in the off season to take care of your body?
Speaker 7: How are you eating? You wouldn't just eating doritos, right, What was you doing?
Speaker 4: And I was like, what about it?
Speaker 6: I was talking to them and it was so dope just to hear how many of the guys had certain regiments they really followed and they were strict to like you said, some guys have leaned out, some guys have put on muscle that is needed. And it was just I saw Tyler Beatti's too and I was like, look at you and your grown man body like you because you can tell that.
Speaker 7: Because it does.
Speaker 6: It takes time to develop into that body. Everybody don't come in here like Mazi. Everybody don't come in here like that.
Speaker 9: Can I just say, yesterday was the first time I've actually stood close to me was like, hello, you are a human wall like, what is going on?
Speaker 4: And he's so nice too, So it's just like that's how I feel about Junior. For Hoko, Yeah, he's massive. And then you talk to him and he's like, oh, how are you doing, Like he's got a little.
Speaker 5: Four month old baby.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they have a this I was since Mike McCarthy has been here, I do think that there is a certain character that you can feel. There's a lightheartedness to a lot of the gentlemen that they drift.
Speaker 7: And it's I think it's healthy for the locker room.
Speaker 6: I really do think it's healthy to have you have some some somewhat older guys. I know you said you touched base with Tank Lawrence ye Mane. He's realizing that he's really a veteran.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's a veteran.
Speaker 7: In here, and then yes, and then you have those middle guys like Dak and then you have these young guys.
Speaker 5: Has a sixteen year old daughter. Stop I know, yeah, I'm dead for real.
Speaker 4: He's got a sixteen year old and I think he said a five six year old, a sixteen year old and a six year old.
Speaker 5: I think it is what he told me yesterday.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I was.
Speaker 9: I was escorting it was Junior Fijoko because basically our jobs were to make sure everybody got where they needed to go. When you're talking about a handful of football players that need to take different videos and pictures, you can get a little chaotic.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 9: So I'm walking around and I'm holding their pads and their helmets and I'm like, it's okay, guys, I got this.
Speaker 8: You are carrying all their Yeah, oh yeah, we're carrying around. And so it was. It was funny because my last guy.
Speaker 9: Of the day yesterday was was Junior and we were talking and the man loves Pink Starburst. I mean, I didn't know his love for Pink Star Wars really went as far as it did, guys, but he loves specifically the Pink star Wars.
Speaker 8: I was like, have that in common, best flavor?
Speaker 9: But what I really liked talking about him too, And I mentioned this from my first reaction of him was the family and the importance of his family.
Speaker 8: The whole time we were there, we were talking.
Speaker 9: About our families because that's all he wanted to talk about was his family, his love for his family, the food, the culture.
Speaker 8: It just it was so interesting digging into his brain.
Speaker 9: And so when you talk about they have a type, it's it's this very healthy locker room culture. Because there was one point where we were all in a room with it was Cooper Rush, Will Greer, Tyler Biattish, Tyler Smith, Cavante Turpin, Brandon Cooks, and they're all talking amongst each other. I mean you're talking about guys in different spots and they were all just such a team. And you know what, I really one of the main things I took out of media days and getting to be part of that was that Brandon Cooks. We talked about setting the example. I mean, you're talking about a guy who's waiting in a room for forty five minutes, sitting there, not complaining, not you know, getting anxious about it, but making conversation with the promo team and his teammates and making the best of the time that he was there. Anybody in that position but the football player or not, would be like, why am I waiting forty five minutes?
Speaker 8: This is crazy?
Speaker 9: I mean you think about when you go to a doctor's appointment, right and you're sitting in the waiting room, you get antsy, you get annoyed. No, Brandon Cooks was sitting there and just it was it was easy to see how the guys around him wide receiver or not we're taking suit to If Brandon's not complaining about sitting here for forty five minutes, I can't really complain either.
Speaker 8: So that was really cool to see firsthand.
Speaker 7: Your quarterback is good too. I just want to throw that out there and talk about everyone knows like no one has.
Speaker 6: And again it's I think it's just because he's he's his dack at this point and his OTAs and stuff. But he looks sharp. He sounds mentally sharp, y'all. A little on a should too, you know what I'm saying, Like, yeah, but I wanted to definitely mention the fact that he looks sharp and he again looks like he's in total control of this offense and what it's just and what's going on and his supreme confidence just you know, radius through the team. I wanted to highlight him because he is their leader and they follow him also as well.
Speaker 5: So yeah, I'm excited to get to chat with him today.
Speaker 4: Before we go, I found my girl Ellie. This is this is my girl Rodney. She taught me how to kick a field goal. So shout out to Ellie. I know she's so cute. She's so great, my girl Ellie. So if you guys see me out at practice, mind your business. I'm trying to make the roster.
Speaker 8: That I'll do it for.
Speaker 5: I'm Girls Talk, Boys Talk.
Speaker 4: A reminder, our last episode of the twenty twenty two twenty three season is coming up next week. Uh so be sure to join us for our season finale before we get started later in the year. But join us next week for Girls Talk, Boys Talk. That'll do it for today. We will see you guys next week.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.