Speaker 1: Hey, the folks, it is Monday, August twenty fourth. Why was Hayden Pennethier's boyfriend pawning her items days before her death? And why is her mom now making the rounds on media with that? Welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ were Robes. No evidence or suggestion of wrongdoing, but some feels icky.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say ick factor is high, and I think, look, we've all felt, most of us have felt a huge amount of sympathy for this young woman whose life ended far, far too soon. But as the people who were closest to her and the people who purported to love her are now talking and what we're learning actually makes you feel even more sad and sorry for Hayden Peneteer.
Speaker 1: What was going on in her life and certainly last moments, but also last days, last months. Even where do we start? I guess with the I guess what sounds like explosive headlines to me, Robes you can get into it. But the hearing that her ions were being pawned, and then her mom doing the rounds, and we watched at least one of those interviews this morning, and just it didn't you know what it came off like her statements did. The statement she wrote after Hayden passed, everybody couldn't play it seems cold, doesn't seem like motherly or caring, And how she talked about her, it felt like she was there to do a service for herself versus the memory of her daughter.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent. She was very defensive and definitely seemed to be on a campaign, to campaign to make her seem less monstrous and to devent herself. I mean, that's what it seemed like. Look she sat down with ABC, she also sat down with The New York Times, and I think both of us just looked at each other and went ew because it wasn't about remembering her daughter. It wasn't about talking about true, how lovely and wonderful. Yes she mentioned it, but it was almost in passing because you could tell her number one goal was to basically continue to throw her boyfriend Brian Hickerson under the bus and to defend herself and her reaction. And I think one of her first statements, and you could see she was angry, she said, to the haters, you don't have the right to tell me how to mourn the loss of my second child. That's my domain.
Speaker 1: Okay, and that's true, Robes, and we I think you said it this morning in an earlier episode about just people grieve different ways. How are we to know what it's like and how she should react? That is fine, but how she is now putting herself out there. She's putting herself out there to be to be criticized. You want to give her space, Robes where a mother just lost her child, a mother who had lost another child years and years before. But Robes, she's out there, We're listening and what we're hearing. I can understand why people take issue.
Speaker 2: Yes, And look, she described herself as numb, and I think that that makes sense. You would be numb. She says. She still hasn't grasped that it's real that Hayden is gone, but upon sitting down with ABC News, at least it seemed to be more focused on trying to defend herself and her reaction and then to point the finger at Brian Hickerson. And when she sat down with The New York Times, she made this big headline that yes, she said, Brian pawned off Hayden's belongings prior to her death, including some beloved Vintage Guitar, and The New York Times says they independently confirmed that that in fact was true, and that some of Hayden's belongings are in a storage unit of Brian's. And so her mother was questioning this and certainly said that they're falling out. At least the last one that had them not speaking for months was solely and specifically because of Brian Hickerson. She said that she was trying to get her daughter away from him, both physically and financially, and she was so frustrated with her daughter's refusal to do so that, upon advice of her own therapist, she had to cut ties with her daughter when months before her death.
Speaker 1: So, how should we have an idea? Because I keep seeing eleven month number and I keep it. I don't wait.
Speaker 2: We didn't get any exact She didn't get specific in terms of the timeline, but she said at some point last year she spent time with Hayden in LA and I thought this was really interesting. She talked about how her daughter physically could not function because of the pain she was in. She said she described it as pins and needles all throughout her lower extremities. It was difficult for her to walk, and she said these were all from injuries that Hayden incurred when she was on film sets when she was young, doing her own stunts, and so she you saw her daughter in tremendous physical pain. It breaks my heart to think that you're so upset. And I understand she felt that this man was dangerous for her daughter, But to completely turn her back on her, to refuse to speak to her as some form of punishment or some sort of leverage to try and get her daughter to do what she wanted to do, seems so It just seems so cold, especially if you couple that with the fact that she was acknowledging her daughter was in real physical pain.
Speaker 1: What do you think this is her? In some way, she's second guessing that decision.
Speaker 2: Now. She didn't seem like it, she seemed she didn't seem she didn't seem reflective, she didn't seem sorry about it, she didn't seem regretful about it.
Speaker 1: I guess we hear this right Robes is that her therapist told her, don't talk to your daughter, don't be involved in your daughter's life, and that Robe is difficult if you're going out there making some campaign for people to understand you or to give you a break as a mother. That's one that I'll a lot of people are going to have a difficult time hearing that you abandoned someone who was desperate for help, so desperate that she's now dead. That's tough for people to hear that you justifying doing a what parent. Okay, I'm just saying heroes that that people will take it as what parent turns your back completely on someone who has lost her daughter, she lost her fiance, I say lost it there, lived in Ukraine, had that breakup, had an abusive relationship, had drug alcohol addiction, others. I'm not going to talk to mind.
Speaker 2: Now, could barely walk because of injuries she sustained while you were managing her career as a young actress. That's that is deeply alarming. Look, I think most moms, most parents will say I heard this from my mom. I've said this to my daughters. There's nothing you could do that would ever make me stop loving you. And when I say that, I mean there's nothing that my kids could do or say they would make me stop trying to reach out to them, stop trying to connect with them, stop trying to help them even if they didn't want it. I still I would never I can't imagine being the one to end any sort of verbal interaction with my child because I'm angry with who they're dating, and yes, and worried, and especially if I'm worried about their physical health or their mental health with who they're dating. I want to make sure I stay in their life so that I can be that voice of reason, that I can be a soft place to land, that I can be the person she turns to or that door she walks through when things aren't going well in that relationship. I think that's been a really, really tough thing to get our heads around. And then when we see her making this media campaign, it doesn't feel like she has any soft words about her daughter, warm words about her daughter, or really any remorse for having abandoned her.
Speaker 1: What you're describing, I think is where most parents land. They can't imagine. I mean, you'd had a lot of parents who are listening. I would be beating down the door. I would not let my eyes off her and this guy. And I think it's just I don't know what her purpose is. She Maybe she just feels personally attacked ropes and this is her moment and she needs to say this. She wants to clear the air and she wants to give it a shot to just it's getting ickier.
Speaker 2: You also got a little icked out, I guess, for lack of a better way to describe it. When we heard her sit down with ABC and take the moment to refute her daughter's claims about one of these incidents that happened in her trailer so many years ago, where Hayden Penetier in her book, her reacent book, talked about when she asked her mom at nineteen to no longer be her manager because she just wanted her to be her mom, like I don't want you in my business, I want you in my life, like that sort of a request. And Hayden said that her mom said to her, you owe me as in financially. She just said, I don't remember it like that and basically said, that's not what happened.
Speaker 1: It came off. It came off very very poorly. And you robes that's her. The dead can't speak no. And so she's on TV refuting a very significant claim that her daughter made about her life. She's taking away from that if she feels she needs to do that now. Again, Robes, I don't whatever she's going through, and however she is, you're trying to give people space and grace. But man, it certainly came off bad this morning. It was very, very icky.
Speaker 2: Cold, and you know what, I also, this is something that is nagging at me. So obviously, Hayden's younger brother unexpectedly died of an enlarged heart in twenty twenty three. Wouldn't that be the moment if you've been having this rocky relationship with your other child, your only other child, You've just lost one child, now you've got another child. Wouldn't that be a wake up call as a mom to say, man, you don't know what's going to happen next. We don't have time guaranteed. I need to make amends whatever it takes. I want a relationship with my only surviving child. I actually that actually crossed my mind. That and I believe some of the back and forth texts that were leaked by Ruby Rose was alluding to Hayden saying I can't believe that we can't come together basically in our shared grief of my brother and her son, that she just couldn't believe that her mom would basically say, I can no longer speak to you because I don't like who you're dating. That's tough, But that was not the only person giving interviews over the last day or so. When we come back, we're going to tell you what Brian Hickerson's brother, Zach had to say. This is fascinating because he gives us so many of the details we were wondering about in those moments when he and Brian found Hayden unconscious. Welcome back everyone to Amy and TJ. A lot of people are talking now about Hayden Pennantier, what happened in the months, weeks, and even yes moments before she was discovered. And Zach Hickerson, that is the brother of Brian Hickerson, I thought this was really fascinating. He describes. They all traveled to South Carolina together the day before Hayden's death. He stayed at one airbnb. Brian and Hayden were at another Airbnb. He says he left his own Airbnb to go to church, but before he got into service, he had texted with his brother and said, Hey, let's all go to lunch, Let's all go play some indoor golf when I get back from church, Brian said, sounds great. So when he gets finished with church, he starts texting. Brian doesn't hear back. Starts texting Hayden, doesn't hear back. He gets a little worried, so he goes to the airbnb and he didn't have the code to open the door, so he said he was banging on the door loudly, which, well, Brian up. Brian comes to the door and it's just wild. He was sleeping next to Hayden on this pullout couch in the living room, so they weren't in the bedroom for whatever reason. They were on this pullout couch in the living room and they tried to wake her up, and they realized she wasn't sleeping, she was unconscious. And that's when Zach called nine one one and he said, Brian immediately gave Hayden Narcan. That's crazy to think they traveled with Narcan.
Speaker 1: That was my question. That stuff's not readily available, is it? No, I can't just swing down to seat.
Speaker 2: He had it right there, and Zach said Brian immediately gave Hayden Narkhan, and then both of them began performing CPR on her while he was on the phone with nine one one, and he says they were both giving her CPR until EMS arrived. I thought that was fascinating, and then he gave this very lengthy statement. Again, everyone seems to be cya ing at this point because there is an investigation, the DEA is involved, and although they said initially the autopsy showed no obvious signs of foul play, we still don't have an official cause of death. And we know that Brian did hand over what he called a bag of prescription drugs to police, So we don't know what drugs were in Hayden system. We don't know what drugs she took. We don't know who gave her the drugs, and if whoever did give her these drugs could or will be held criminally responsible. But when you start to see these statements flying, then you start obviously people have lawyered up for real reasons.
Speaker 1: Again, I'm not familiar. This is narcan. Is it a over the is it over the counter or is this a prescription thing. I didn't know anything about it. It's designed to rapidly reverse the effects of a life threatening opioid emergency, an overdose right, Yeah, we're talking about it. It saves lives to have this nearby, is the first thing that I find remarkable. The second thing is how did he know to immediately do that?
Speaker 2: Well? You could, you could you could assume that he knew that she was taking illicit drugs.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh boy, exactly.
Speaker 2: And this all took place, by the way, what around one thirty in the afternoon, So it's not a time where you would typically see two people sleeping on a couch. That's not I mean, who knows. They could have been partying all night, and we know teenagers can sleep that late, but it doesn't seem like something that you would do unless you were under the heavy influence of something.
Speaker 1: Bottle sitting by that he was aware of or did he know what she had been taking beforehand? Had they been doing this? Has he been an enabler to a certain degree? I mean it could have been an accidental something as well, But rome, how much was he aware of that? We just figured out she's not insanenything about a pill bottle or something? Did they something? What indication would he have had that she's not waking up, so it must be an overdose?
Speaker 2: That assumption that was the assumption, and that is why there is a investigation. And when the DEA is involved, yeah, that could potentially be a criminal investigation. Now Zach gave this statement. There are a lot of assumptions, speculations, and accusations currently swirling. The truth will come out as the authorities complete and release additional details from the investigation. And it is important because the people who loved and adored Hayden deserved the truth. At this time, I want to clarify my involvement in an effort to keep the focus on the fact that we lost one of the most precious individuals on this earth and to allow those that cared about her to mourn without additional noise, chaos, and misinformation being created and propagated by the media as well as the public. So deflect, defend, and point the finger at the media his involvement.
Speaker 1: That was him laying out his involvement.
Speaker 2: Yes, so he wanted a church. Yeah, literally, I was at church. And then I mean, look, he's the one who who even alerted Brian to the fact that Peyden was sleeping right there next to him. I would assume already gone.
Speaker 1: What condition was he in if he didn't realize he was sleeping if he got up from I mean, I don't know, but.
Speaker 2: That is the most insight we have gotten into what happened leading up to that nine to one one call. And there are still a lot of questions out there and certainly a lot of answers that Brian is going to be asked if he hasn't already by police. They haven't even said anything about any conversations, any sort of interrogation. Again, he's got a lawyer, Zach's got a lawyer. Everyone's got a lawyer. So it's unclear when we're going to know more details about the investigation, only that we were awaiting official autopsy results so far and any official word from police, which we have not gotten yet. But they haven't ruled her death anything. There is no cause of death, there is no manner of death, and so anything is possible at this point. But it is interesting as we see the people who were closest to her, who knew her best, now defending themselves in the media, as people do begin to speculate as to what could have caused Hayden's death and if anyone is responsible. We'll keep our eye on this developing story. Certainly we're going to get more information in the days to come, but we always appreciate you listening to us. I'm Amy Roebuck alongside TJ. Holmes. We'll talk soon.