Speaker 1: Toss Popcorn is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm Sietta.
Speaker 3: Jacob and I'm Leanna Holsten.
Speaker 2: And welcome to Toss Popcorn, the podcast where two idiots watched every film on the AFI's one hundred Greatest American Movies of All Time, the very slightly less racist tenth Anniversary edition, and are now watching films of our own and listeners, choosing or that have been in the zeitgeist, and mainly that are directed by women. Even if we're not feeling well.
Speaker 3: This podcast is a safe friendship for people who don't know anything about movies. Today we're watching Past Lives and Cream in a language that I can't understand, a film neither of us had seen.
Speaker 2: Correct question Mark had been meaning to.
Speaker 3: You're right this morning there will be spoilers about this recent film.
Speaker 2: Well, while I was getting I can say some things now, which is while I was gathering my notes for this, I started tearing.
Speaker 3: It's like, okay, all right, Sienna, can I please hear your prediction for Past Lives?
Speaker 2: Yes, I have COVID nineteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay here warning, Sienna has COVID nineteen.
Speaker 2: Hi, Leonna, this is Sienna. Yeah, I'm sick, but I'm about to watch Past Lives. My guess about this movie is it'll be what you thought. I think what you thought the Holiday would be, where it kind of goes through different points in time, maybe so quiet right now or so loud. I have no idea I can really hear. I could not hear that. Oh, I predict maybe it'll be about a couple going through different phases, which I think is already a movie with Anne Hathaway called like One Day or some one Day anyway. Or maybe it'll go through different like lives of people, like they have the same soul reincarnation sort of thing. That'd be cool too. I don't know. I predict someone's brother as a character. I don't know why predict it. Okay, I love you, goodbye. I had a strong sense that someone would be like, and this is my brother.
Speaker 3: Is there a brother? There's not a brother in the film? Is there not a brother to be? No brothers, no brothers at all.
Speaker 2: I couldn't have been more wrong. Early.
Speaker 3: Hey, here's my prediction.
Speaker 2: I'd love to hear it.
Speaker 3: Hi, Sienna, it's Leanna. I am about to watch Past Lives. I've never seen this before.
Speaker 2: I've been meaning to.
Speaker 3: So I'm excited. Question like, but I predict it will be causing me to feel emotions.
Speaker 2: Let me die. Oh okay, that's all, okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, for sure, forder for sure. Well, it might be causing me to feel emotions, which.
Speaker 3: I might be prompted to feel emotions as a result of this, and I don't know about that.
Speaker 2: Oh hey girl, Hey, let's talk about it.
Speaker 3: So, hey girl, so you have COVID nineteen.
Speaker 2: Here's what happened, all right, In the words of Adrian Monk, here's what happened. Yeah, yeah, I decided to be social this holiday season. I actually stayed a little longer than expected so I could go to my partner Kelsey's stayed in LA. Stayed in La a little longer. I was gonna leave on like the fifteenth or the sixteenth or something, but I decided to leave on the nineteenth, just a few more days, which just sort of opened up the possibility to go to a few more events. And the whole point was that I was going to go to this his office holiday party, which remember we talked about last time, Like an office holiday party sounds amazing. Last week, I was so excited to go. Well. I went to a few events. I went specifically to this improv holiday get together, and this is where we think something happened because it was just a gathering of lots of people screaming at each other's faces, and the timeline matches up. But yeah, a few days later, I was feeling a little off. I actually slept till two pm one day, and I was like, that's crazy. I'm so irresponsible. But now looking back, it's like, hmm, was my body fighting something off?
Speaker 3: But yeah, the novel coronavirus perhaps.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I was feeling okay, but like maybe a little cold coming on. Just fine, But again, looking back, there were a few days where like I went to a cookie party and then I was supposed to go to drinks afterward, and I was like, Hey, do you guys think I can wear sweats like my pajama pants that I'm wear into this cookie party? Do you think I could wear them to the drinks? And They're all like no, haha, And I was like ha ha, because the idea of putting on pants right now sounds absolutely insurmountable. Yeah, yeah, which again is making sense. But I didn't feel sick, sick until this one night, I became extremely hot and achy, and I was like, oh no, well and so then the next morning I noticed, I remembered I had a COVID test in my room, and I was like, well, yes, I'll take this. I take it. It lights up red and I'm like, you're lying. Oh my god, I can't be true. I have not heard of anybody in my community having the coronavirus right now. Yeah, but yeah, it got me good. I took two more tests after that because I was so in denial because I had so many plants. Yeah, oh no, So did you not get to go to the holiday party? Did not go to the holiday party? I missed the holiday party?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: I oh my god, so sad. That's like the number one thing I missed.
Speaker 3: Your prediction that you'll never go to an office holiday party has come true.
Speaker 2: What's also funny is that Kelsey and I have been trying to do karaoke together for like two year years now, and every single time it's thwarted in some way. And it's starting to become like like this was like an act of God right to give me the Corona.
Speaker 3: Universes, like do not somehow escape rooms cannot break you, but a karaoke night would ruin your relationship.
Speaker 2: Well, I just want everybody out there to remember to get boosted, to get back to the vaccine. I was vaccinated this year. But yeah, this is my second time getting COVID and second time getting it on Mike. Last night. Actually, I had a wonderful time where I realized I could go outside, and I sat out on the porch and I wrapped gifts and I just sat up there for probably like seven hours, and I had a wonderful time.
Speaker 3: Wow. Yes, convalescing. I was kind of going back there. Yes, Beth mode. Oh wow, I love that. I really love that. Well, I have to go Beth mode, going Beth mode.
Speaker 2: I'm going bell but going outside and still having the best time, even though you have.
Speaker 3: To going Beth mode. You know, death is looming. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And one final thing I'll say that will come up in this very episode is that because I've been in my room looking for things to do, I've found some things in my room, including I found some old hard drives that I've been looking for, which thank god, oh my god, oh my god, I hadn't lost lost them, but I was just like, where are they?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: And I on there was an old reflection about my first love, and it was like incredibly melancholy and intense, and oh my god, oh my god. Can I watch this movie the next day?
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh my god, whoa.
Speaker 2: And also, may I say it was very well written. I could not believe that it was from college also, and I'm like, obviously I was spending no time doing my work in college. My god, what an incredible writer when I was just writing about the things I was interested in. Anyway.
Speaker 3: Wow, well, everybody, you've heard it here first from our COVID nineteen correspondence Sienna. We will of course post her reflection on her first love on oor Instagram channel no no, no, no no, one screenshot at a time, one now, one, twelve years from now, and four years from now.
Speaker 2: Wow. Leanna, hey girl, thank you for listening to all that.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, thank you for telling me how's it going on. I'm sorry to say I did laugh when I got your text message saying I have COVID nineteen.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: I just it tickles me how you always call it COVID nineteen.
Speaker 2: Do I have the coronavirus? That is what it is.
Speaker 3: But it is just so funny to say the full formal name of it.
Speaker 2: I have it.
Speaker 3: I have the novel Coronavirus? And also like, what why did I get this? Literally, no one else I know has it? Wow? How a girl? Oh fine, I'm going back to I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: There's nothing really to tell you. Oh my god, Oh my god. Oh eight years of friendship and it's finally happened. We've run out of things to talk about.
Speaker 2: Oh when you called this podcast a safe friendship, also, that actually is what this podcast is. It's sort of a podcast, but it's mostly a friendship, a safe friendship that you get to listen to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, honestly, Yeah, this is our way of making sure we talk once a week.
Speaker 2: We started a business.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Do you have any questions? Yeah, okay, let's see. Have you been to any Christmas markets? We were talking about that.
Speaker 3: Last Oh, yes, yes, I went to a couple of Christmas markets on Saturday.
Speaker 2: I do have another It was hell, really, it was hell on Earth?
Speaker 3: Why oh it was the pits of Hell. No. I took the bus to central London, Trafalgar Square in front of the National Gallery in the center of damn London where there's a Christmas market and the throngs I had to fight my way through in order to get to the giant broughtworst stand. That's all you want to not buy anything because it was brought worst. Yeah, candy brought worst. I'm a damn vegetarian, right right, right right. The word throngs was invented to describe this very situation. It was thronging. So then I went across the river to a different Christmas market that was lest thronged. I swam across the Thames. I forded the Thames to go to a different Christmas market, arrived stopping wet, and I bought myself a mulled wine. And I've been doing this thing recently where I'll get two beverages at once because I know I want to over the course of an evening and I don't feel like waiting in line again. Thank you, I'll just have.
Speaker 2: The two beverages.
Speaker 3: I got a regular mulled wine and then I was like, oh, it's a Saturday, I'll splurge. I got a large spiced cider with dark.
Speaker 2: Rum in it, which I was amazing.
Speaker 3: It was like I thought I was picking the vein of spiced cider. But it turned out I was getting a spiced cider with an extra shot of rum added to it. And then I was just coosuded at this Christmas market and wandering along the Thames. I want you for like a mile and a half.
Speaker 2: I want to remind you at this time, hmm, how different this is from Los Angeles. And I know, I know that there are downsides, but like, honey, soak it. Because I put on a sweater today to go move my car and I went outside it and it was sweltering hot, and I was like, what are we It's horrible. What are we doing. You can't just like go get zooited by the Thames over here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can't. You get high. You could get high by the La River, which is the worst thing I could possibly imagine.
Speaker 2: It is the worst thing I could possibly imagine. Like that is what you are living it up over there, and I know it has its own things, but wow.
Speaker 3: It's got its own things.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So that was really it ended up being a lovely evening. After I survived the throngs. Yeah, the throngs, Oh my god. I went to Saint Paul's Cathedral and I just took some photos of it. Ah, I'm like a peasant in the past, Like I just spend my evenings like just kind of like wandering.
Speaker 2: Around yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Themes and observing the architecture. You know how peasants would do architecture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they'd wander around to look at the architecture.
Speaker 3: They'd spend pounds on a wild wine and a sighter.
Speaker 2: They look at architecture.
Speaker 3: Super peasant.
Speaker 2: We're I guess we're probably past Christmas on the pod now a New Year's Eve in a past year. Well, I need to know. Have you gotten gifts for people? How's that going? Oh? Should I get you a gift? Do you want something? Okay? Listeners.
Speaker 3: Siena got me an incredibly thoughtful, adorable gift and I've got her nothing.
Speaker 2: It helped. I had an Etsy gift card and this was a UK vendor. It all worked out.
Speaker 3: Okay, great, okay, good, that's all.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I will not be getting you anything as long as you I ordered. As long as you love them, that's all I care I do. They're in my I have a little corner of little guys in our and they're in my little guy corners. We'll upload a photo of the little guys for everybody to see. I I ordered something for my brother, but it's cutting it real close to whether it arrives before I fly home.
Speaker 2: Every time you've we've talked about Christmas presents, you I've bought your brother something on like Christmas Eve or like the day after Christmas. Like I just told him I'm gonna get him this thing, and I ordered it.
Speaker 3: I print out a photo of it, and I'm probably gonna have to do that again this year, even though this year I ordered it on like the fifteenth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that sucks.
Speaker 3: But apparently it's coming from Latvia, which was news. It was a die co dot UK website that I ordered it from, and then it was like, your item.
Speaker 2: Has shipped from Latvia. I was like, well, no, h this is my impression of you ordering that. This is what I imagine Latvia. Is that right? That's exactly right.
Speaker 3: Ah. So every day I check my mail to see if anything from Latvia has a rived. Nothing is still from Latvia. No word from Latvia. Fingers crossed eagerly awaiting my missive from Latvia.
Speaker 2: Missive from Latvia. Well, I guess we should start the podcast now.
Speaker 3: Oh god, yeah, Okay, This comes out on New Year's Eve, which, as I mentioned, is about to be a past year.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's wow.
Speaker 3: So Sienna, could you please tell us about a film that addresses past years?
Speaker 2: Yes, very much. Twenty twelve.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, oh wow, yeah, past lives.
Speaker 2: Norah Moon and Hay Sung were great friends in middle school in Korea, and then Norah left for Canada. Their lives grow in different directions throughout the movie, with Nora as a playwright in NYC married to some guy oh, and Hey Sung as an engineer in Seoul. Over the course of their lives, they reach out to each other a few times, wondering what would have been if their lives had gone differently. It is beautiful and melancholy, and every character is kind and doing their best.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, they really are.
Speaker 2: It's like nobody's a bad guy in this. No, there's not a villain. It's very the most.
Speaker 3: Modern film I've ever seen. I kept expecting there to be tropes. I kept expecting there to be various which we can get to, and there.
Speaker 2: Weren't no tropes. It was just people doing their best, loving each other in different ways. Life is complex and confusing. Oh god, Hi, sorry, it's been really great doing this podcast, but there's some things I want to focus on, so I just I'll be back. I'm just gonna take a little break for about three minutes or maybe closer to twelve years. We'll be right back, we Leana. Shall we get into our phone notes and discuss the film.
Speaker 3: This is our segment phone Notes. Each of us watch the film and takes notes on our phone while watching, and then on the podcast we read each other's notes for the first time.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: A friend was asking today, Oh, yeah, you just make it super clear that masse. Oh and yes, see on your first note is I have COVID. That and I can just picture you sitting down to watch the film and saying, I.
Speaker 2: Have COVID my teeth. Okay, so you're just stop checking it. Your first note is A twenty four? Is this going to be scary? Okay? They are doing a lot of scary stuff. I know, I think they're just indie guys, but Indy these days is like we're indie and so.
Speaker 3: We're scare legs.
Speaker 2: Yeah you want feminism, how about feminism with blood? But he eats you. Yeah, you're like what.
Speaker 3: So I was a little afraid a bit. But here's.
Speaker 2: Feminine feminism. But the patriarchy eats you. You get gobbled up. Oh my gosh, wait, Leanna, you've said I love grete Lee and I also said that you.
Speaker 3: Said I love this actress Greta Lee. Ah, you wrote damn their moms are so cool.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah. I was like, sorry, do you have a crush on anybody? And she's like, yeah, I do have a crush on somebody in my class. And she's like, do you want to go on a date with him? But I'll take you on a date with him. Me and his mom will like take you out and you guys can can go on a date together.
Speaker 3: I was like, what that was an option?
Speaker 2: I know, I didn't know that. It was so sweet. They didn't make it weird at all. They were just like, yeah, why didn't you get to know each other? You're young, It's fine, we'll be there, we'll chaperone. I just can't imagine talking to a boy at that age.
Speaker 3: It's crazy, that is, I think what what was hard for me to wrap my head around too. It was terrifying even the nerds, I would a boy spend that much time with me and vice versa. At aged twelve, I was busy. I had to go to dance class.
Speaker 2: Sienna.
Speaker 3: Uh huh, yes, you asked, Leanna, did you used to skype much?
Speaker 2: Let's talk about Skype. Oh, take a moment and talk about Skype, because guess what it was. It was eradicated from this world when Zoom took over during the pandemic Skype.
Speaker 3: I firmly feel that Skype fumbled the bag during the pandemic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you did say, how did Skype fumble video calling so so hard? Okay?
Speaker 3: Yeah, fumble is the verb of note.
Speaker 2: Were you skyping?
Speaker 3: It sounds like maybe you had a Skype past.
Speaker 2: So I used to skype my friend Alison Rains every day after school. We would get on game fund in eighth grade. We would get on game Fudge in eighth grade and you would play games, play play games and Skype Fudge. Yes, game Fudge was the name of the thing. It was kind of like addicting games dot com, Hello Brito Bison and such games. Yeah. I was scaped every day after school pretty frequently. WHOA, I love Skype. I skyped well into high school. I think I think I skyped well in high school.
Speaker 1: WHOA?
Speaker 2: But that that sound was so comforting to me. The doo yeah what about you?
Speaker 3: There really was some user interface in this film that took me back.
Speaker 2: It was definitely too complex to be something for the pandemic, for example, or something for work meetings.
Speaker 3: Okay, right, it's too requids. They had, they had it in their grasp, and they did have it in the grasp. My god, they had everything should have been them and it wasn't. No, that's crazy. I think I was not a skyper. I think I really didn't understand that friendship was rooted in having things in common, such as like your morals and things that you talk about morals until like college. Yeah, I thought, if I don't have morals in common with you, it's not going to work out. No. I I think a lot of my friendships were text based or proximity friendships, where it was like, well, we go to the same dance school, so I guess we're also going to hang out outside of that, But then we didn't really have that much to like talk about.
Speaker 2: Ever.
Speaker 3: I also think I have a terrible memory, so this coind wrong. All that to say, The only memory I have of ever using Skype was have I told you about this? At six in the morning, Colorado time. I had to get measured by my mom.
Speaker 2: Yes, you have to.
Speaker 3: Give my measurements to an irate Irish woman for a dance dress. Yeah, and that was Yeah, my mom had to measure my bust and tell it to an irishwoman over Skype. Insane looking back, And that's Skype for me looking back on my life. Conversation is really the only thing I've ever done and the only thing I've ever done well, and the one thing across the board and like, huh, well, hey, look at you. Now you're conversing professionally.
Speaker 2: So I was gonna say if I could make money talking and I guess we're almost Oh boy, don't we. Leanna, you said to be hot on Skype. Massive achievement. Well done both. Oh my, I was amazed. They were both so gorgeous. Later, when her husband's like, do you find him attractive? You're attracted to do any more attractive than me? It's like, yeah, buddy, I wouldn't play this game. I'm sorry. It's gonna be a losing battle every time for you. I'm so sorry. A borderline anti semitic impression. I was kind of going more for an Italian American thing. But you know what, the New York it's a it's a troublesome arena to be playing in. And I do apologize, I do.
Speaker 3: I was like, obviously he's attractive, he's the hottest man in her in her life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's like I've known him for years and years and now he's a man. God, he looked so good.
Speaker 3: I feel like age thirty six, Leonna.
Speaker 2: I'm going to read your next note, which is melancholy, but I want to read your next two notes actually in a row. Okay, oh, because the juxtaposition makes us who we are. You've said gazing at people in love and feeling eternally alone mood. Oh my god. Then your next note is Arthur. Okay, mister Ardvark.
Speaker 3: And let me tell you that I did not intonate as kindly as you did. I said, Arthur. Okay, mister Ardvark. Why that his name is?
Speaker 2: Her name is Arthur? Do you think Arthur is a is a name? Are you an ark for children?
Speaker 3: What? Are you an ard Vark that doesn't look anything like an ard Vark? Your name is Bob Bear, a builder?
Speaker 2: What? Oh you're going specifically? PBS? Gotcha gotcha, gotcha.
Speaker 3: Please, it's New York the public broadcasting system. Come on, yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, okay, okay, yes, Sienna, you noted. Kay, she is making an inappropriate amount of eye contact with this straight man as a married woman.
Speaker 2: It's funny how they're just are rules like that. It's like, I think, if you're married, you're not allowed to make eye contact for that long, that directly with anyone.
Speaker 3: How did you feel, because you you have f or you have had in the past, fairly stern views on adultery, did she you don't know, I don't know, it's come up though. How did you feel about her? And hey son, were you like, were you rooting for them? Or were you like thou shalt not commit adultery?
Speaker 2: Well, I like when they laid out that whole thing where this movie was so lovely, it is so clearly women woman led women, so clearly woman led because when they have that conversation her and her husband and he's like, I kind of am just some guy. Yeah, He's like we met sort of a regular way, Like our story isn't that interesting? Like I know we love each other, but wasn't it kind of circumstantial? Like you and Heysung have like a much more a deeper connection kind of ultimately, but she's sort of like, yeah, but he's not my husband and he's not supposed to be my spend, you know, so I was rooting for them. The thing that I really this movie. That struck me about this movie was like, there's so many depths of human relationships, Like, I don't think what was so beautiful and melancholy when they were talking about their relationship, is what is it that they wanted that they want to be husband and wife and have children? Like there was no version of Nora's life that was supposed to be her in Korea just having kids with the person she met when she was in middle school. Like that's just not who she was, you know, So where else would they have done that? Was he supposed to have moved to New York? Like what version of her song would have been somebody who moved to New York City away from his awesome friend group, who has dinner every night it's party hard, yeah, and like away from her to life, you know, Like there just wasn't a place where they could have met in this life. So it's like they did have something else. It wasn't like they were just gonna They just had something that was meant to be physical or something, you know like that. It was kind of of even layers beyond that. They just had a connection. Oh so beautiful. So there are nuances in life where there are people that you have sort of an intimate love with, but they're not meant to be your partner. So I was rooting for their I was rooting for their situation definitely. I mean it kind of is like, Wow, what a beautiful couple this would be. And kay Song was so kind and wonderful, like everybody was just a lovely person in this. So yeah, I would have preferred for those two to have been together then her and the other guy. But as she said, this is my life and I'm moving in with you. But yeah, it was adultery. When they were making eye contact, Yeah, that was adultery. They were sinning, Leanna, you said, Okay, you can still go do stuff in New York when it's raining. Why because people were because they were all like, oh, it's gonna be raining there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they were like it's gonna rain the whole time you're there. And then he was just like being melancholy in the hotel while it was raining, and I was like, go to the Goggenheim.
Speaker 2: There are so many Go to the city of buildings.
Speaker 3: New York is famously mostly indoors.
Speaker 2: Leoni, Leonna. I didn't. I've never heard this, you said TVT DI at the time subway door closed on my head. I'm sorry, I haven't told you about this. No, please tell me about this.
Speaker 3: I so I had lived for the summer in Manhattan and I had to move my stuff. It was like at a friend's place, and I had to move all my bedding because I'd been staying in student housing and I was moving to different student housing. I had to move all my bedding from like the Upper West Side down to Brooklyn. And so I was carrying like two pillows and a mattress cover or something like that, all in their like little plastic carry bags. And I was trying to hold all of that and get onto the subway and one hand made it through with one pillow, and I think the mattress topp or whatever. But then the door closed on the other pillow, and like somehow I had only gotten my head in the door, but my body was still on the platform and it just all kind of happened so fast, and I went, oh, and then a guy just like yanked the subway door open and he shoved me into the subway, pulled me in, and he's my guardian angel, because I would have been decapitat.
Speaker 2: All of that is such a perfect encapsulation of what New York is, because yeah, you're like, oh, I love New York. The subway and then you have to bring all your stuff on the train and like it almost decapitates you, and you're like, I gotta get out of here. But then somebody yanks the door open and you're like, oh, we're all in this together. I love New York. Yeah, but it's like, at the end of the day, you could just drive your stuff somewhere in any other city.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: That is true.
Speaker 3: Then I think, if I had to live in an American city, which one would it be? I always think New York, And then I remember the time the subway doors closed, Yeah, and I second guess it.
Speaker 2: But walking around is the best?
Speaker 3: Is your childhood friend hot? Now you're gonna need to have a conversation with your husband. You've got three Now, see you soon, Sienna. A double note from you here to display you know we contain multitudes. You've noted one of life's strange truths is that your partner necessarily can't know all of you. And then you've written Shazam is one of the best apps ever?
Speaker 2: Can we talk about Shazam? I guess it is unbelievably reliable almost everywhere. The tunes I did when they were at the bar. When they were at the bar, I was like, what is this song because it's also making me When it was just the two guys at the bar, and they were like, uh, I love when women make things. Yes, Leonna, you said, while life is life really is long? If you met your soulmate at age twelve, completely so jealous of these Some people must have that experience, whether like I literally met somebody who I have strong love for when I was in middle seer, which insane. The main thing I remember doing in middle school was one time we'd like sold sandwiches in sixth grade for the Super Bowl, And I remember my friends, my two best friends and I both gay. Now, my two best friends and I wrote a little jingle that we thought was so funny about buying a subway sandwich, and we got to read it on the announcements, and we spent like all week working on it and we laughed so much and then that's awesome, thank you. We presented it and when we came up, we were like waiting for everybody to be cheering for us, and nobody said anything.
Speaker 3: Hmmm, that sounds like a vocal warm up. Selling sandwiches for the Seattle super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Selling subway sandwich, selling subway sandwiches, sandwiches for the Seattle super Bowl, selling subway sandwiches for.
Speaker 3: The Seattle super Bowl.
Speaker 2: It was so awesome.
Speaker 3: That's that's banging, that's dope, and we'd make eyemovies stuffe of having a soul mate.
Speaker 2: You know what I think.
Speaker 3: I think I wasn't comfortable with myself as a person until college, and as a result, I didn't know what I was supposed to be looking for in a friend.
Speaker 2: Whoa whoa I know, fascinating. Ooops. Well, I'm so grateful that I met you in college.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, thank god, Oh my god, you were one of the first people. You know, this is gonna be so sincere stuffing me for this, Okay, don't look at me. I think our friendship was one of the first ones in my life where I was like, we have so much fun, Like we just are always laughing, like it's just like a joy to be around them. Like I just like craved spending more and more time with you because I was like, it's just always like wonderful and I hadn't really experienced something like that before. Sorry, thank you for giving that to my COVID heart, Mary christ.
Speaker 2: I feel the same way nineteen Hart.
Speaker 3: No, but you had friendships where you were like giggling, teaing hahha.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But even to this day, even to this day, when there's something that I'm like, this is hilarious or like the depths of life funny type of thing, you know what I mean, like bottom of the barrel whatever, or like I send it to you, I'm like this, I gotta Tellana about this. Leonna. You said you kept entering my mind when I was in the military mood.
Speaker 3: I know I'm not to relate to that as someone who has not served in the armed forces, but I was just like, yeah, I feel that way.
Speaker 2: All the time.
Speaker 3: I was thinking of you know, well, when you're just like going through it and there's just somebody on your mind and you're like huh, it's interesting that this person is so on my mind right now. Yeah, I know again, I can't compare my day to day hardships with me.
Speaker 2: But you've read so much about it.
Speaker 3: But I have read a lot about it. Oh.
Speaker 2: I loved the opening of this movie. Yeah, wow, like, who is that? Who are listening to each other? I have no idea?
Speaker 3: What what an interesting way to start a film.
Speaker 2: Thank you? And then by the end we're like, I see why they did that because it is a complex situation to each other and oh we judge and expecting from people that your lives go so many ways you can't predict.
Speaker 3: I really enjoyed this film, and they could have.
Speaker 2: Been something else to each other in different lives. All three of them could have been important things that.
Speaker 3: I forgot about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was writing down so many of the quotes by the end. Yeah, to me, you were someone who left. Oh, oh, I love is the person who leaves.
Speaker 3: I felt very afeared when he said to me, you are someone who leaves, because I was like, am I that person? Because I keep leaving things, leaving cities, I keep leaving friendships.
Speaker 2: For me, you're someone who leaves, but also something every week. Thank god.
Speaker 3: I loved I loved their conversation at the bar so much. It was amazing. Like when they finally just like have have it out, hash it out, whatever it out, and they're like, oh, when she's like that girl that you knew when we were twelve, she doesn't exist anymore. But that doesn't mean she wasn't real. It just means that I left her with you. My god, oh my god?
Speaker 2: What is life about? Literally? What are we all doing here? Life is so confusing? How do people even choose to make decisions? Well?
Speaker 3: What That's how I feel when I see a play?
Speaker 2: How do people choose to make decisions? What? Why do we do this? Leona? You've written anguish.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I was in anguish, I think, or I was more experiencing anguish from a distance. I mean I'm medicated. No, you know, stuff lands a bit less.
Speaker 2: Deep believe in it normally would Leona, Your last note is oh baby, if I was able to cry, I would be. And then your next note is, oh, JK, I am crying.
Speaker 3: Love that that end scene where they walk together to the uber and stand and stare at each other. I was like, oh yeah, if I could cry, I definitely for sure would be crying. And then when she walks back and she starts crying, I I said, oh, this movie really effectively made me feel the deep, unnameable melancholy of life. Do you think any of that was perhaps heightened by your having.
Speaker 2: Me having COVID nineteen and having just read an essay about my first love that I wrote when I was in college. It's like everything that I feel when I listened to Elliott Smith walking around the quad, who I felt while watching this where it's like, I can't name it, but there's something deep and sad.
Speaker 3: You were like your own emotional fluffer for this film by reading your own essay.
Speaker 2: I mean I have been sitting in the dark for like three days. Oh yeah, I think that it also just effectively touched on it, like it was trying to touch on that something more specific than just like losing a love, But it was just like life is has so many more layers than just you meet someone and you're supposed to be with them or like what would what would that even be? It's like it's having kids the ultimate thing. Who knows, like dying together the ultimate thing. I don't know, seeing each other for more phases than one maybe.
Speaker 3: Or maybe.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Yeah, I don't know. Completely random side note that I'm decided to say now in this emotional state, you're somebody who I think is one of the best at making friends and having great friendships. WHOA I was thinking earlier when you were saying like you struggled to do that in middle school when people whenever I'm like pointing things out about your showing people like oh yeah, this is leonor or whatever, I'm like, oh, yeah, she has like so many great friends, Like she gathers like great friends and whatever. And like you went to London and found some lovely friends, and a lot of people will move and like have a lot of trouble with that, like that's their biggest issues. They're like, I don't have any friends. Thank you.
Speaker 3: That really means a lot to me. Yeah, I've actually been feeling very insecure about my No, you're really good at that friendship capacity. No you recently, wow, because you're like such a Yeah, you're you love goofy friendships and you're good at gathering people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: You would love the people that I've befriended here. It'd be very fun if one day, everybody overlapped.
Speaker 2: I have a little goal. I've been looking at my been looking at my flight miles, and this year I'm thinking of popping over. So I wonder, my God in February should want to do it before we find out.
Speaker 3: It before I like maybe get deported. Maybe it's kind of an asshole in February.
Speaker 2: Sorry what? Sorry? What? Oh my god? That's so not what.
Speaker 3: That's I don't know what phrase I was looking for.
Speaker 2: London is an asshole? Do you know? How is it over there? Kind of an asshole? But I've actually never heard that phrase used in this context me neither.
Speaker 3: I think what I was trying to say was like it was some sort of it became a hybrid of it's kind of a shithole, it's kind of ship, and it's kind of ass It's kind of an asshole.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised that's not actually more of a frequent phrase. It's kind of an asshole.
Speaker 3: Yeah, assholes never used to describe something that's just kind of like garbage.
Speaker 2: It's more like you are vile. I'm kind of standing in an asshole. It feels like I'm in a bit of an asshole. I think it feels more visceral than shithole.
Speaker 3: It definitely does.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, not the only option, so we'll see.
Speaker 3: Okay, can't wait, Oh, Siena, let us let us befriend our segment badges and tradges where we award the film badges for.
Speaker 2: Besties, Yeah, for besties, and trages for traveling. It's just not meant to be. Yeah, it's gonna be an extra long episode because Sana just really needed to Sanna needed to talk as gadgets.
Speaker 3: Badges.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't, Okay, I forgot.
Speaker 3: I have a badge for I'm fine and you. I'm fine and you. When they're practicing English, that was so cute and it's so funny.
Speaker 2: I love when people this is going to be I will perhaps cut out it is a very white American statement, but also it's true. I love when I am effectively given insight into the immigrant experience. Yeah, because there's so much I don't understand about what it would be like to fully get up and move to a different country, specifically like North America or English speaking country where people have decided it's like the most rele place to be for certain career paths. But it was so cute to watch these sisters be like, oh, I'm fine, you am you yeah and you yeah. But I did. I felt like I understood more so funny. My first badge is for Skype. Love Skype, Love to hear it, And it was just fun. All the twenty twelve throwbacks. I was like, oh yeah, and that was my first era of under of perceiving the world. Oh.
Speaker 3: A badge for Greta Lee.
Speaker 2: Love her, I love her, I love her, badge for her outfits. Love those. I think I'm gonna go through and just kind of buy all of those and be set for viewers.
Speaker 3: A badge for Key's phone wallet, written on the wall by her door in her New York apartment.
Speaker 2: She's one of us. Oh my god, I'm pretty bold to just straight up write it on there. But I guess you can paint that as well. Yes, But then I was like, she's an artiste. Badge for this is so beautiful. I just I love that they decided to make it beautiful. But but how do I put this? Not in a male way. It's not in a way where it's like, oh, look at this girl and the colors. Yeah, we're gonna say things that don't make sense. Instead, they would just have full on conversations that take as long as a conversation actually takes, and they make you think, and then they'd be yeah, the beautiful parks okay, yeah yeah women. Badge for wired headphones, Game recognize game, let's go wired headphones. Hell yeah, she did use those in twenty twelve.
Speaker 3: I will never have air pods, honestly, this is this is the hill I die on.
Speaker 2: I lose them every time. They don't work. They don't work. Yeah, Cordy's headphones are right. I no badge for I really miss New York City. This really made me dis miss nyc.
Speaker 3: All well, badge for two cuties. These two are some real cutie pies.
Speaker 2: They're so sweet.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love the montage of them skyping with each other.
Speaker 2: They're so nice to each other. They're so supportive of one another. Even when they're like, we need to not talk anymore. They both understood. Oh badge for all the characters are doing their best question mark similar to you going, oh my gosh, Arthur, the ardvark is actually kind of slaying right now. He was really supportive and he's like, I know this needs to be done. This is the right thing. I know it's not about me. I'm gonna express the ways I feel insecure, but thank you for talking to me about it. And I'm still here to hug you when you cry about it because I know it's something deeper than that. Yeah, she left her life behind.
Speaker 4: Hmm.
Speaker 2: There's so many paths in this life. We can't control it. We only have one shot.
Speaker 3: I have a badge for Ooh, I do love rustic chickens.
Speaker 2: Work?
Speaker 3: Is that at the at her house in the Yeah, the residency in Montalk. There's like little chickens and like a fence and grass.
Speaker 2: That was all my badges because I kept him. Oh, I guess badge final badge for There were many quotes that I wrote down that were very yeah, god so good A badge for.
Speaker 3: I love his backpack. It is practical and respectful.
Speaker 2: Okay, I love that the what oh that means? What is a respectful backpack?
Speaker 3: He wears a backpack around New York because he's like solo traveling. He needs to have a lot of stuff on him at all times. But it's not too big and it's very well kept close to his back and it's not hitting other people. It's not bad anybody. It's not swinging around.
Speaker 2: There were a number of times where I had a backpack on the train in New York and people would be like, please please move, or you need to set that down. Yeah, yes, you're hitting us.
Speaker 3: Yes, a badge for oh my god. He brought her food when they get on the boat.
Speaker 2: Oh that was so.
Speaker 3: He was like, did you eat and she was like no, And he had brought her something because he knew she wouldn't have eaten.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: And my final badge is a badge for their conversation at the bar because it was so beautiful and it also it helps you as the audience, understand why they're making the choices that they are with their lives.
Speaker 2: It's beautiful and honest, and I appreciate that they just say things out loud instead of being like, h yeah, I can't say you know, they just talk it through because I was so so rare. Yeah. Usually these movies that are kind of I think that they the way that they make it sort of mysterious and melancholy is by just not.
Speaker 3: Saying everything, leaving things unsaid, but instead, oh, you're.
Speaker 2: So right here. We got to follow the whole thing and.
Speaker 3: Just they just said it.
Speaker 2: They just because and they respect It was very respectful. Also, hm, it was tragic. I have one trage, m My trage is what is life all about? What is it for? Okay? And also there were times I will say where this also made me go like, oh my god, she's so ambitious in her life. I remember when I was ambitious her. What does it maybe?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Oh, oh goals.
Speaker 3: Oh, I have a trage for once again, I am wondering if the sound is on.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 3: I love this movie, but put some sounds at the beginning so I know that the audio is working at the very beginning.
Speaker 2: I was also like before it started, Hello, what's going on? Why did they do that? I've never seen that before. Just like indie movies love to.
Speaker 3: Be like, we're a quiet film.
Speaker 2: We're quiet, We're gonna be very quiet. It's like, hello, hello, quiet film, We're being quiet. I'm like, is this alling quiet? The volumes at ninety seven? Get ready to perceive, get ready to think? Get ready? Yeah, medicine U Tragferd.
Speaker 3: Why isn't anyone else around? This is when she arrives at the Residency House in montak and there's no one there. It was like a zombie film. I was like, where is everyone?
Speaker 2: I guess I just when she got there early, and I thought that maybe just the house was empty. But now that you've said it's like a zombie film, I do get why if you were looking at it through that lens that you would be seeing that because a zombie could appear at any moment.
Speaker 3: The doors are all wide open.
Speaker 2: That was weird. I was like, why are you accepting that the coffee is brewed and the doors are open just for you. I think she was just kind of being a flirty girl. She's like, ugh, somebody lives here. Now a trage for it?
Speaker 3: Doesn't Her shoulder hurt from using a shoulder bag. She has a tote bag that she carries around in New York and I was like, that's gonna hurt if you're doing a full day out with a tote on one shoulder.
Speaker 2: I think one of the main reasons I continued dating my boyfriend, who was completely incompatible with in New York City, was so I had somebody to carry my stuff because he had a backpack. I just if my arm hurt, I'd be like, can you carry this? And it's truly the only thing I ever asked of him. Wow, it's like the only place that I used the boyfriend girlfriend thing in a very traditional.
Speaker 3: Way, traditional sense, he should carry stuff. My last trage is if they don't bang once in this, I swear to god, it would have been very beautiful. It would have been beautiful. But I also I understand, yeah, it would have been wrong for the story and wrong for this lifetime.
Speaker 2: Maybe they can just make a fan fix sequel.
Speaker 3: I bet there's so much fanfic out there about this.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness. Life is so complex. I just think.
Speaker 3: I just think if I were in a partnership where my partner's first love from twenty four years ago was coming to visit them once and they have so much visible chemistry, I think I'd be like, do you know what you too? Go bang, get it out of your system, have at it, have at it, have at it, then come on back.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think they needed to bang once and then maybe be like, oh, okay, yeah, well we did that. That's good. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when he said like, maybe this is our past life and maybe in the future we're already something to each other, see you, then oh boo, that is what those connections in life are like, like, oh, I'm not gonna even with friendships, certain friendships where you're like, we just don't get to be around each other the amount that I would expect because of the way that we're connected. Mm hmm. But I'll see you in the next life. Yeah yeah, yeah, Well Leanna, or have you done all your trages?
Speaker 3: I have?
Speaker 2: Okay, great, let's move on to our next segment, which is, of course, how to pretend you've seen this film? Mm hmmm, uh this is oh excuse me. You are in You're in New York City. You're on the ferry going to see the Statue of Liberty, which, by the way, very pointy crown, dangerously pointy.
Speaker 3: Well, it's pretty pretty far away. Who's it gonna get?
Speaker 2: You know, they're getting close on that ferry crown and you're looking up at that Statue of Liberty and Arthur comes up to you. M h and he says, careful. Wow, I'm just gonna go for gravelly absolutely associated with the accent of any sort. Wow.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 2: I love New York City. I love the Statue of Liberty. One of my favorite movies I saw is called Past Lives. My favorite thing about it is how I assumed that they were secretly boning the whole time. And that's the only thing I thought out, nothing about the beautiful nature of a connection unh unboned.
Speaker 3: And in order to fling Arthur into the Hudson Ah splash, We're gonna give you a few sentences you can say to pretend you've seen the film Past Lives.
Speaker 2: I'm so sweaty. I'm so sweaty from illness.
Speaker 3: Arthur, I've seen the film Past Lives. I'm gonna quote to you the most relevant quote from it for this conversation. I want us to stop talking.
Speaker 2: For a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and by for a while, Arthur, I mean forever.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, Yes, Arthur, I've seen the film. I have seen the film Past Lives. This was Selene's Song's directorial debut. Oh my god, I hope she makes so so much more.
Speaker 3: It slapped, she slaid.
Speaker 2: There was a real life event that inspired this film?
Speaker 3: Was it having a friend?
Speaker 2: She had a childhood sweetheart who flew in from Korea, and she had an American husband who only spoke English. She was sitting there trying to translate for the two of them, and there was something really special going on. Oh, she said, I was sort of becoming a bridge or a portal between these two men, and also in some ways these two worlds of language and culture. Something about that moment really sparked something, and then it made me feel and it made me really feel like maybe this could be a movie.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, okay, all right, So okay, the rest of it is she starting about mating, Okay, because she's a movie person, Okay.
Speaker 2: But besides that, very very beautiful that that really happened. Wow, Arthur, I've seen Past Lives. That is a film that features what I would argue is the best bob haircut in cinematic history. Oh my gosh, yeah, wow, hair in this was I kept looking at those outfits and I'm like, well, they only look good with her amazing hair.
Speaker 3: Hmmm.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Her hair was so straight and her haircut was so sharp, and then when she tucked it behind her ears the scene where she's writing her name and year on the wall in Montauk, I was like, oh my god, if my hair was straight, you guys wouldn't believe the number of things I would.
Speaker 2: I would chop it, I would pin it back I would make it different shapes, different straight shapes. Oh, I would mold it in all sorts of ways. Okay, yes, Arthur, I have seen the film. I have seen the film Past Lives. Fun fact, during the scene in the bar towards the end of the movie, the song that can be heard is Don't Look Back, a song from nineteen sixty five by the Irish group Them featuring Sir Van Morrison. Whoa And also, I should sam that song? And that is not the song it gave me a so maybe should sam isn't as amazing.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yes, Arthur, I've seen the film Past Lives, And in order to end this conversation with you, I'm gonna devastate you with one of the lines in it that devastated me, so that you are so devastatd that you end up in the Hudson River swimming away from this conversation. That line was I didn't know that liking your husband would hurt this much.
Speaker 2: Oh oh my god. Yes, yes, Arthur, I have seen the film Past Lives. In an interview with NPR in twenty twenty three, Greta Lee said that when she told her friends and family she was taking the role many of them were surprised and wondered if she could even speak Korean, which is so classic of your friends and family to do when you get a big when like this, you're like, oh, really, sorry, can you do that? She's like, yes, oh, you live with me?
Speaker 3: What that's like the scene in Fleabag where they're like, Claire, you're a lawyer and she's like, I went to business school, well you, hona.
Speaker 2: Shall we move on to our next segment, which is, of course should you watch or where we tell you if you should watch this film or if you should do anything else with your time? What would you say?
Speaker 3: Oh, my gosh, I would say yes, absolutely. You can watch Past Lives. If you're feeling afrail about a past relationship.
Speaker 2: Oh, do you know what.
Speaker 3: If you are at all at risk of texting your ex uh huh, or your crush who's not nice to you, If you're at all at risk of getting back in touch with someone who's not actually nice to you, Yeah, you should still watch Past Lives, but keep an eye out for the way that he treats her in the film, and you'll have to you'll have to note that that's not what's going on in your life yep, and therefore you should not reach out to note that.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: You're gonna have to make notice some things. It's tough film, watch it, how about you, Sianna?
Speaker 2: I would also say you could watch Past Lives if you're not in the mode to watch something. This is the perfect thing to do when you're thinking about life's nuance. And honestly, sometimes I get overwhelmed when I want to sit down and write something down, and this was a good thing to do instead. That makes you think a lot. But otherwise you could just write in your diary. Ah, yes, Leonna. What would you rate this film? Ooh?
Speaker 3: I would give Past Lives five respectful backlooks out of five gosh.
Speaker 2: I just I enjoyed it so much. He too.
Speaker 3: It felt easy to watch it, Yeah, I really did.
Speaker 2: It was a it was a well. There was a point where I was just like, this is my kind of movie. It's slow, it's interesting, it's beautiful, but not obnoxiously beautiful.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What would you rate the film? I would also give this film five spotty skype calls out of five.
Speaker 3: Day.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed it so much. It really I did not know I was going to enjoy it this much. It was lovely. It's very watchable too. I could easily watch it again right now, right now, right now, And you know.
Speaker 3: What, maybe I will, Hey, careful, I will. I've got twenty four hours left on that rental.
Speaker 2: Well, Happy New Year, everybody, happy, almost new happy. I have a thoughtful new year. We've been toss Popcorn. We're at toss Popcorn on Instagram. We post plenty of fun things there and if you want to support us this year, we would appreciate it so much. At patreon dot com, slash toss Popcorn and join us. Next week we will be watching Hustlers who thank you, We love you. Ay see you then.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: You can find us on Instagram as at Sienna Jaco and at Leanna Holsten. Please check the description for the spelling of our dumb names. We put out episodes every Tuesday, so make sort of subscribe so that you don't miss an episode. See you next week on Tossed Popcorn. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, check the iHeartRadio app. I definitely when I was twelve, I more had like a couple of crushes on teachers and stuff, oh hello, and like oh saucy, but I wouldn't admit it. I wouldn't know you were saucy.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that either until I was saying it. Saucy C. Well, I think it's because I just was like, how saucy. No, No, it's not true. It's not true. I wasn't a minx at all. You were a SAUCYX.