Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to Weird House Cinema. Rewind. This is Rob Lamb and today we are re airing our Valentine's Day episode from last year. It is our discussion of the nineteen eighty three Tony Scott film The Hunger. This one's a lot of fun, so so stylish, So Gothy, let's dive right in.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Hey you welcome to Weird House Cinema. This is Rob Lamb and this is Joe McCormick. Happy Valentine's Day, everybody here in today's episode. You know, I really wanted to cover a paranormal love story of some sort for the holiday, and I gave myself this task and probably spend a little bit too much time looking at different films. I'm trying to figure out what would be what felt like the right fit. I looked at a few different, very well regarded films that seemed to fit the mold, but ended up being drawn into today's selection the highly stylish nineteen eighty three erotic horror film The Hunger, a movie that was really only on my radar for being a film in which David Bowie plays a Vampire. But it's actually so much more than just that. It's become a cult favorite with many due to its heavy goth vibes. It's LGBTQ themes, and it's absolutely bursting at the scenes with visual and sonic pizazz. And I tell you, I hope you like Venetian blinds because there are a lot of them in this movie.
Speaker 3: Yes, and doves, JJ was reminded. JJ also watched the movie this week and we were talking about it off Mike before we started this. JJ reminded me that there are just doves in their house all the time. Is full of birds. They have like an open air attic. Is just birds coming and going all the time. Yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I watched this one with my wife, and in fact, it was partially her suggestion. I was just brainstorming all these ideas and she pulled up some lists online of paranormal horror films and she was like, how about The Hunger And I was like, oh, well, you know, The Hunger has been on my radar a little bit. We've it's come up in passing on the show before when we've discussed David Billie films, And so she watched it with me she really enjoyed it. She loved all the like the gothy eighty eighties vibe to it. But also she pointed out, like this feels like a feature length music video, and in many ways that is absolutely accurate and one of its strengths.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, turn around Bright Eyes for ninety minutes or a hundred or so. It's But don't let don't get the wrong idea from that. I do think this is actually a very strong film. I liked it a lot, despite the fact that critics apparently largely did not appreciate it when it came out. But I get the feeling this one has has gotten a critical reappraisal, like a lot more people like it than did when it first released.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I believe that the cult following for it was really building up within the decade following its release, so you know, kind of a slow build there, But I think it achieved cult status by at least the nineties. As we'll discuss now.
Speaker 3: One thing I want to say close to the top of this episode is despite the fact that The Hunger is not especially plot driven, I'd say it's more of a mood driven or character driven film. It does have some major surprises in store, and we're going to have to talk about those surprises in the episode, so please be forewarned if you want to see The Hunger without having anything spoiled, and I would recommend that a good time to pause and go watch the movie would be Now.
Speaker 1: That being said, this movie is so committed to style. I feel like it's one of those where if you're spoiled on it, you can still really enjoy it.
Speaker 3: So rob like you. I had never seen The Hunger before, but I found it very, as I said, surprise, but also delightful, interesting, different. It felt fresh at its core. I think you could call this kind of a tainted love tale. It's a story primarily about romantic relationships, but one in which it is not all, you know, steamy arrows and desire and lust like a lot of vampire love movies are. It's also not rom com energy. It's not like all cute falling for you kind of moments. And it's certainly not the case that this is full of feel good morals about the eternal and all conquering power of love. This movie, like other tainted love tales, is about the ambiguities and contradictions of romantic love, the sort of vast gray space that defines a lot of what love is. Where people might feel one way but act another, where it's impossible to put your emotions into words, you don't know how to talk about what you're feeling or what your frustrations with your love. Are situations in which people genuinely love one another but also cause each other pain, where love just gets smashed into a million pieces against the surface of problems that cannot be fixed. And strangely, once I realized that was the kind of movie this was, it helped resolve something curious I noticed while watching The Hunger. Despite the fact that this movie has a different writer, a different director, totally different plot, and for much of its runtime a different star, I really kept being reminded of the other big David Bowie movie we have watched on the show, which was The Man Who Fell to Earth from nineteen seventy six, directed by Nicholas Rogue. That movie stars David Bowie as a tragic alien agent on a mission to Earth to secure water resources which could save his home planet. But of course that ultimately is a story about failure, about distraction and the inability to sort of stay on task and getting led astray by television and alcohol and love and all that and table tennis right exactly, yes, And so I was thinking while I was watching it, why did these movies feel so similar despite all the totally different creative inputs. Could it just be that the power of David Bowie is so strong that it paves over everything that might be a little part of it. But I really think there are some other truly strong similarities in that both stories involve these tainted love themes. They're both love stories that have genuine feeling and passion in them. They're not just about people using each other for sex or for power or whatever. They are love stories, but they're also tragic love stories that cannot possibly have happy endings, in part because of the sci fi or supernatural mechanics that are operating in each story, and in part because of the kinds of human failings and contradict that are present in all relationships of mortal humans, not just aliens and vampires. And I guess, since it's been a while, just a refresher. The love story central in The Man Who Fell to Earth is the one between David Bowie's alien character and an earthling played by Candy Clark. That story is at once both genuine and doomed, doomed by Bowie's alien mission and then by the pressures of money and betrayal and alcoholism. In The Hunger, I think one of the central thematic tainted love questions is what if you could only be with the person you love by dooming them to a fate worse than death if you choose to do it anyway, If you choose to be with them knowing that your love is an unspeakable curse, could it really be love? But at the same time, could it really be love if you could stand not to be with them in the first place. I guess we'll have to answer those questions as we go on throughout the up But another similarity I would say between The Men Who Fell to Earth and The Hunger is certain the presence of certain cinematography choices. Both of them are very mood driven, and they both have a kind of dreamy, elegic editing style with a lot of slow motion and lingering on wistful and melancholy scenes featuring two subjects who are suffering but who are unable to fix what's wrong between them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's worth noting. In the commentary track which I listened to, part of the director Tony Scott does mention Nicholas Rogue, the director of the Man Who Fell to Earth, being one of his inspirations, though he singles out the film performance more than anything. But of course The Man Who Fell to Earth is still in the mix there somewhere, I imagine.
Speaker 3: On the other hand, I would say The Hunger does not have like the comic elements that we got in The Man Who Fell to Earth when he's watching all the TVs and screaming, get out of my mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's not really much in the way of humor in this picture, and I think that's one of the things that the critics kind of picked up on. They thought it was like too self serious, which I don't know. I feel like, if you're dealing with, you know, with a story like this, and you're dealing with, you know, with these all these gothic vibes on top of it, like, I don't know, I don't think I really was wanting any comic relief in this picture.
Speaker 3: I certainly was not hurting for want of comic relief. And no, this movie doesn't need that. It's just not its style. It's not what it's about. Another surprising element I found about The Hunger, at least a violation of my expectations going in, was the relatively grounded science fiction subplot. Did not think it would have that kind of thing happening. So this will require some discussion of the plot, but I guess it's good to lay out a bit of the premise here at the top, because we can refer back to that as we talk about the cast and so forth. So two of the main characters of this movie begin the story as vampires, as vampire lovers, and they are faced with a unique consequence of their condition. In the lore of this movie, the vampire's spawn enjoys a long life of suspended youth and vitality for perhaps hundreds of years, but at some point it all comes crashing down as a kind of rapid degenerative aging disease, where the vampire spawn suddenly grows old and withers into a powerless but still conscious, crumbling husk over the course of a few days or weeks. So in the movie, Catherine Denov plays a sort of vampire queen of ancient but otherwise uncertain origins named Miriam, who is in a centuries long love affair with her vampire spawn, John played by David Bowie. Originally a man, she turned into a vampire sometime in Europe in the seventeen hundreds. There's like a scene of them kissing in a barn in powdered wigs, and so the situation is while they seem to have been happy and ageless hunting for blood together for hundreds of years, suddenly, in the modern day setting of the film in New York in the nineteen eighties, John finds himself rapidly aging, and he seems to know this was something that could happen to him one day, but obviously it leaves him greatly demoralized and distressed. So this brings him into contact with another one of our major characters, Sarah Roberts played by Susan Sarandon, who is a research scientist. She's a gerontologist studying diseases that cause accelerated aging, and her work provides some hope of a way to stop the advance of the cellular clock and arrest the rapid advance of agent to and so as John desperately seeks her help, she becomes entangled in the lives of these vampires. She doesn't initially know their vampires, of course, and she becomes it becomes more than just the kind of mechanical science fiction connection to the story, like she becomes romantically involved as well. But it was so strange to me that the movie ended up having so much having as much science fiction as it did, and also the form the science fiction took, because it was not the kind of, you know, the kind of loose fantasy science fiction that you get in The Man Who Fell to Earth. It's instead a story about like research scientists in their lab doing experiments on monkeys. And we can come back to that later. But like some of the goorioesst and grossest stuff in the movie is not from the horror premise. It's from the sci fi premise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's so as we'll get to in more detail in a bed. This is based on a novel, a nineteen eighty one novel by Whitley Streiber, And it's my understanding that the original novel is essentially one of these kind of like how would this work treatments of vamporism with sci fi elements backing it up, And I'm to understand that the script for the picture ended up drifting somewhat away from that vision, and then Tony Scott's direction and the work of all the other talented folks involved in like the visual and sonic flare of the picture are able to bring it into more of a surreal territory. So, you know, it's kind of an interesting trajectory to like maybe start in something that's a little more grounded in the sci fi and ending up via a curve, ending up with something more surreal and ambiguous, but the sci fi roots are still present.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally. But it creates such an an unusual and interesting millage of themes. It's just it doesn't really feel like any other movie I can think of.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it really does stand apart. And I think that's one of the reasons that it just so instantly captivated me. Because some of the other picture as I was checking out, they felt more like a definite artifact of their time and or they fit more clearly into genres that we're already more familiar with on the show, and this one, Yeah, it really stood out. It seemed to have a different vision and exist in its own sonic and visual universe.
Speaker 3: Now, another big surprise that this movie had for me is that I really expected there to be more David Bowie in this David Bowie movie. He almost gets the treatment of Steven segall an executive decision. Maybe that's a horrible comparison, maybe more like Drew Barrymore in Scream or Samuel L. Jackson in Deep Blue Sea. Though, of course all of those characters what happens is they die. The fate of David Bowie's character in this movie is even more tragic and horrifying than death. But I think it's interesting that I don't know if there's a formal like showbiz term for this, but I would call it like a meta shock. You know, it is a violation of your expectations, which are established. Those expectations are established not through the narrative of the movie itself, but through your real world and knowledge of the movie's marketing context. So, for example, it is a surprising move to kill off the character played by the big star, the presence of whom ostensibly brought people into the movie theaters in the first place. So that's always a surprising move. It's a bold and gutsy move usually, though I think it's a lot less gimmicky in The Hunger than it is in most of these metashock deaths you get in the film industry. In this movie, it it feels less like a gimmicky attempt at surprise, and instead it emphasizes the movie's kind of shadow themes of unfairness and the injustice of love and of real life.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, And I do want to stress for anyone out there who who happens to be interested in The Hunger primarily because of David Bowie, still valid reason to be interested in this film. David Bowie will not disappoint you. The role may have less screen time than you expected, but he still makes the most of that screen time. So definitely worth checking out for Bowie fans.
Speaker 3: Though also for some of the screen time he does have, he looks like Richard Lynch or he looks like he Oh this is an unkind comparison, but he looks like a better version of Guy Pierce and the old Man makeup in Prometheus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a great observation. But you know, Prometheus didn't have Dick Smith. As we'll be discussing special effects makeup master. Dick Smith is largely responsible for the aging of David Bowie in this picture. And I think it was Tony Scott on the commentary track pointing out how or maybe it was maybe with Susan's frand and somebody who's pointing out how he's under so much makeup for parts of this. But Bowie would just go to sleep in the chair like he was like super, he's a going while they were replying, you know, hours upon hours of makeup and yeah, and nobody did it better than Dick Smith.
Speaker 3: It is really great old man makeup, way better than all the other examples I can think of.
Speaker 1: All right, well, more on that in a bit, but first let's go ahead and roll out the elevator pitch. As the song will play a huge role in the opening sequence of a picture. I'm just going to quote a few lines from the nineteen eighty two goth rock hit Bela Lugosi's Dead by bow House with one pronoun change to make it fit better. The virginal brides file past her tomb strewn with times, dead flowers, bereft in Deathly Bloom, alone in a darkened room, the count.
Speaker 3: Bell refed in Deathly Bloom, Yes exactly, Oh what a delivery. Who's the singer of Bowhouse.
Speaker 1: That's Peter Murphy and we'll sleep. We'll see Peter Murphy in the opening sequence here.
Speaker 3: Tremendous flat delivery there, very good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's a class, It's probably one of, if not the better known, you know, goth tracks out there. Like if you're going to do a goth dance night at a club or something, they need to play Bella Lugosi's dead at least for a little bit. Maybe not the whole with like nine and a half minute runtime, but even still, like, yeah, go ahead and do the nine and a half minute runtime because the whole song's tremendous. All Right, we'll come back to baw House in a bit, but first let's go ahead and listen to a little bit of trailer audio from The Hunger.
Speaker 3: Sarah Roberts is in jeopardy. Hey lady, how about it stay with her? Help her, for she has begun to feel the awful horror of the hunger. John Blaylock, the hunger has given him everlasting life until now. Pray for him. Miriam Blaylock.
Speaker 2: She feeds one day in seven on the unsuspecting, and soon she will turn into something that you will never be able to forget.
Speaker 3: No matter how hard and how long you try fear her?
Speaker 2: What have you done to me.
Speaker 3: For my life? Signs terminate right here.
Speaker 1: Haunting, mysterious, sensual, strange, perverse, riveting The Hunger. All right, well, if you would like to watch The Hunger, well, luckily for you, it's widely available on digital formats as well his home video formats. There's a Blu ray, and I was gonna rent the Blu ray, but it was checked out when I dropped by Video Drum, so I ended up having to make do with the DVD version, which was also solid. I believe both the Blue and the DVD feature the same commentary track, which is a bit dry but still informative, featuring both Tony Scott and Susan Sarandon, though it sounds like maybe they weren't in the same room, like they recorded them separately and kind of like splice them in. So if you like a nice, boisterous commentary track, then maybe this one isn't the one, but it's still a lot of great info in it. All right, Well, let's run through the people involved here, or at least some of them. We can't touch on everybody as usual, but the director is, of course Tony Scott. As previously mentioned, he lived nineteen forty four through twenty twelve, the late younger brother of Ridley Scott, who, like his brother, came up through TV commercial production before branching out into films, and this was his first feature theatrical film. And it really throws everything at you from a stylistic standpoint. It's flashy, it's sexy, it's daring, it's somber, it's serious. It delivers all the flare of a music video or a high end commercial, and as we alluded to at the time of its release, it was not a success. Critics panned it, including Roger Ebert, who called it quote an agonizingly bad vampire movie, circling around an exquisitely effective sex scene. Which sex scene, I assume it has to be the big love scene between Sarah and Miriam, which I mean it's almost I think a disservice to call it a quote unquote sex scene because it's so stylish. It is like the like the bed is glowing. I think one point, you know, it's like it's very surreal. It's not it's not raw or explicit, but it is still you know, highly erotic and just, and to Ebert's point, it is effective. But I also don't feel like it comes off as an oasis in a desert in this film or anything to that extent.
Speaker 3: No, I just would not agree with Ebert on this one. I think the film overall has a lot more to offer. Sorry, just now that we're on the subject of Tony Scott, I was repeatedly thinking to myself while watching I can't believe this is made by the same director as Top Gun.
Speaker 1: I mean, it is crazy to think about this, right because Top Gun, which was his follow up, what four years later? That was the next time that the studios gave him a shot at a film, like three years later. We always say, well, what this one's eighty would have been made in what an eighty two and either yeah, three or four years, so he didn't have to wait that long. But still he was kind of shut out for a little bit there. But then he comes out of the gate with again with Top Gun, which of course is a massive hit. It was the highest grossing film domestic or otherwise for nineteen eighty six. That's a film that cemented Cruise's ascension into long lasting fame and established Scott as not a director of erotic horror, but as an action and thriller director. You know, because when you think about Tony Scott, those tend to be the films you think about. You think about things like eighty seven's Beverly Hills Cop two, nineteen nineties Days of Thunder, ninety three's True Romance, ninety fives, Crimson Tide ninety eight, Enemy of the State, two thousand and four's Man on Fire, or his final film twenty tens Unstoppable. But yeah, compare this film to Top Gun and I'm yeah, like, what connective tissue is there? Really? I mean, I'm sure you could know, probably get down and point to some of the stylistic touches that are distinctly Tony Scott. But it does kind of feel like a complete at least in my eyes, it feels like a complete, like restart of his cinematic trajectory. Now. Tony Scott would return to horror twice in the late nineties for two episodes of an erotic horror anthology series titled The Hunger, very much spinning off of this film. Like I said, this is one of the reasons I think we can assume that By the late nineties there was a cult following for this picture because they decided to produce forty four episodes of a spinoff series on it. The first season was hosted by Terrence stamp Oh General Zod Yeah, he was your Sexy Cryptkeeper for the first season, and then You're a Sexy crypt Keeper for the second season was none other than David Bowie.
Speaker 3: Got to see this now well.
Speaker 1: The two episodes directed by Tony Scott were The Swords from season one and that starred Balthazar Getty, Amanda Ryan, and Timothy Spall. And then there was a season two episode titled Sanctuary starring Giovanni Ribisi and Lisa Repo Martel. I've never watched it again. They made forty four episodes. Russell McKay directed like six episodes of it, and the cast is pretty extensive as well. Gen Carlo Esposito plays a vampire in one of them. I don't know if it's a major vampire role or a small one, but he's in there. Daniel Craig shows up, Margo Kidder, Lori Petty, David Warner, Jason Fleming, among many others. I don't know where Off the top of my head. I don't know where this aired. I'm guessing it maybe showed up on USA Network at some point, but I I have no memory of this at all.
Speaker 3: Sounds tremendous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, by the late nineties, I feel like people were coming back around to this film. It's become a cult classic for a variety of reasons. It's style, it's cast, it's goth vibes, it's LGBTQ elements. Now Tony Scott sadly passed away in twenty twelve, but fourth noting that this film and Ridley Scott's Blade Runner from the previous year were both dedicated to their older brother Frank, who had passed away in nineteen eighty all Right, I already mentioned that Whitley Streiber is the author of the original novel upon which the based came out in eighty one, the first of a trilogy of vampire novels, and these were a follow up to his nineteen seventy eight werewolf novel The Wolf, in which was also adapted into a film nineteen eighty One's Wolfen starring Albert Finnie.
Speaker 3: Which I always confused with the movie Wolf starring Is it Wolf starring Jack Nicholson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Wolf is the one with Jack Nicholson. Wolfen is the one with Albert Finnie. And then there's the howling. You know that. Occasionally there's the big werewolf bump in the in the horror industry, and you get several different horror horror films about were wolf's more or less at once.
Speaker 3: Yeah. We go through monster waves, don't we.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there have been several werewolf films recently. We're kind of experiencing a werewolf bump right now.
Speaker 3: That would make sense. Yeah, But I feel, you know, we had like zombies in the two thousands, and then you had a vampire craze after that, and I don't know what we're in right now. I think we had a witch craze for a bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's got to come out mummies again, but I'm waiting on it anyway. This author has written numerous books, including The Coming Global Superstorm, which was written with Art Bell, of all People, and adapted into the two thousand and four film The Day After Tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: He's also well known for his nineteen eighty seven ufology book Communion, which was adapted into a nineteen eighty nine film in which Christopher Walken plays Whitley Striber.
Speaker 3: I've never read that or seen the movie, but I've had general cultural awareness of them. For some reason, for years, I had in my mind Whitley Striber categorized as somebody who was like a promoter of UFO encounters more than like a novelist.
Speaker 1: Well, I think he's apparently both.
Speaker 3: Like.
Speaker 1: He definitely he claimed, you know, very much, claims to believe in UFOs and communion is presented as a work of nonfiction. But then he also has written a lot of as well. I don't, as far as I know, he doesn't actually believe in the reality of vampires and werewolves. So that's separate from the aliens. Okay now, and as far as the screenplay goes here, James Costagan, writing as Ian Davis, is one of the credited writers. He lived nineteen twenty six through two thousand and seven. Emmy Award winning screenwriter for fifty nine's Little Moon of alban seventy six is Eleanor and Franklin, and seventy five's Love among the Ruins. He was also a writer on nineteen eighty five's King David, in which Richard Gear battles George Eastman. And then we also have Michael Thomas credited on the screenplay, screenwriter, perhaps best known for his work on nineteen eighty five's Lady Hawk as well as twenty eleven's The Devil's Double. All right, now getting into the cast, starting at the top, this film stars Catherine Daneuve, who mentioned her already. She plays Miriam Blaylock. This is our vampire queen. And yeah, Daneuve very very talented actress here obviously born nineteen forty three. I'm not sure I had seen her in anything before. French actress who has only appeared in a handful of genre pictures during the course of her long career. They include nineteen sixty five's Repulsion, seventy seven's Lost Soul, seventy nine See Here My Love, in eighty eight Frequent Death. She's probably best known for such films as sixty four As the Umbrellas of Cherbourg, sixty seven's The Young Girls of Rockfort, and nineteen seventies Donkey Skin. This is based on the Donkey Skin fairy tale, which I think has come up on stuff to blow your mind episodes before the fairy tale, not the movie.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, well, I think we might have talked about covering the movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I.
Speaker 3: Think it's supposed to be pretty weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I'm all for it. You know, if it has been move in it, I'm certainly worth another book. She also appears in two thousand Dancer in the Dark and lends her voice to two thousand and sevens animated film Persepolis, based on the graphic novel. She was nominated for an Academy Award for her leading role in nineteen ninety three's End of Chime. So yeah, I think she's terrific in this, as we'll discuss. While her character certainly has plenty of like fem fatale elements, she's never presented as like a cold, unfeeling vamp, and certainly Miriam could have been presented in that way. Like her passion is real, her love is real. I believe these things when I experienced her character on the screen, all this despite the tragic, supernatural ramifications of that passion and that love.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's a very ambiguous character. Is I mean, is she the protagonist of the film or is she the villain of the film? Should we think of should we think of John and Sarah as the kind of trading off protagonists of the film, and in a way Deneve is the villain, or in a way, it's more her story than it is anybody else's.
Speaker 1: Though, Yeah, it does make me wonder who might be the central protagonist of the novel, because there does seem to feel it feels like there's maybe a certain amount of confusion with this story as as it's presented in the film, like, yeah, whose story is it? And you know, some would argue, you know, rather strongly that a film does need one key protagonist. There may essentially be two, but there needs to be in the writing of the thing, there needs to be like one central protagonist. The writer needs to know who that is.
Speaker 3: I guess you could argue then it might be Sarah, But Sarah also is never She's never really made fully aware of the of the whole emotional arc of the story. The only character who really knows everything is is Miriam, and so anyway, I guess we can talk more about that in the plot if necessary. But either way, I agree with you is wonderful in the movie. I mean, there is I think a kind of coldness to her, but it doesn't come off as cruelty necessarily.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's the key coldness but not cruelty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she is somebody who's projecting. I mean, I guess this is a problem in a lot of vampire movies because you have these characters who are supposed to have lived many, many lives. You know, they've been around for hundreds or thousands of years in her case, and it always raises the question that the normal kinds of performances, of human feelings and thoughts and intelligence and memory and everything that we get in the film in films is based on the arc of a normal human lifetime. Like you know, part of playing a character is what it means to play a character in their youth or in middle age or something like that. Vampires achieve a kind of age that no human ever does, and so that raises questions of like does that age manifest in their character? How should it manifest in their emotions and how they react to things, and what their philosophical outlook is. And I feel like Daneuve contains a lot of that mystery in her performance. There is something that feels unreal and a little beyond human about her, and a lot of times it's because she is difficult to read in situations where otherwise an actor might be more inclined to portray something very clear and overt.
Speaker 1: Does that make sense, Yeah, yeah, yeah, I agree. You know, there are these scenes I think, in particular about some of the scenes where David Bowie's character John is like trying to discuss not only his aging his illness if you will, with her, but also like the ramifications of it, and you don't get the sense that she's you know, unfeeling to it. But also she doesn't fully engage with him on it. Either she's in walking this line where it doesn't come off entirely like she's completely blowing him off or like, well, that's your problem, John, you solve it. But she's also not fully embracing him. She is to some degree distancing herself from his suffering, but in a way that also feels more real and more mortal and is not like just this vamp queen who's like I am done with you, you know, you have served your purpose or something like that.
Speaker 3: I agree. Again, it's a different take on the vampire character than I'm used to seeing.
Speaker 1: We'll have more to say about about this character as we get into the plot a bit later. Now moving on to David Bowie, who of nineteen forty seven through twenty sixteen, again playing John Blairlocke. So far in Weird House, we've considered films where Bowie plays a space alien and the changeland king of a Goblin realm, so it's only natural that we now consider him as a vampire. Instead of covering all the main notes of his career, we'll catch this instead in terms of where he was with his music and acting career at the time. So we're only six years out from The Man Who Fell to Earth, and I believe the only other feature film he'd appeared in in addition to The Man Who Fell to Earth at this point was seventy eight to Just to Jigglo, So he really only had one what we would consider now iconic film role in his filmography at this point, and I think was far from established as the cult film icon that he would later become and certainly would be cemented in following his passing in twenty sixteen. Musically, this film falls between Scary Monsters and Super Creeps from nineteen eighty and Let's Dance from eighty three, both massive critical and commercial hits, and by the way, Let's Dance includes a track he did with Giorgio Moroder for the nineteen eighty two It Rout a Car film Cat People, which of course is a remake of the nineteen forties Cat People, except with Malcolm McDowell turning into a cat.
Speaker 3: I've seen the original Cat People years ago, and I remember I quite liked it. So we may want to come back to that on the show one day, But the remake I have not, and I'm to understand it goes a little bit harder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I don't know. I don't know if I want to watch Malcolm McDowell turn into a cat every time he orgasms, But I don't know. It's a product of the time, I guess. As for Bowie in this film, though, I think he's terrific. As well. As always, Bowie excels at playing the outsider, and here he's kind of a double outsider. He's a vampire, thus set apart from the mortal world and a stranger to many aspects of modernity. But he is also, as we come to realize, something of a thrall uninitiated into all the intricacies of vampiric existence. Much of John Blaylock's journey is one of struggling with aging immortality, which Bowie handles with a kind of kind of like a quiet anxiety that feels very palpable on the screen.
Speaker 3: Even though at some points I think we referred to his performance in The Man Who Fell to Earth as kind of quailudic. He also did have outbursts in The Man Who Filled to Earth, Like there were moments where his performance got quite big, kind of like the pressure came up and blew the top off and he screams, get out of my mind, or when he like smacks the tray of cookies in the air. I recall less of anything like that in here. This is a much tighter, more subdued, controlled performance throughout, despite the fact that we can see his character is suffering immensely. John Blaylock is a character who you know, he weathers his suffering with a kind of with a kind of quiet, melancholy and indignant resentment. Like there are parts where you can see his ego is wounded it but it never turns into a big reaction. Instead, he just kind of he subsumes it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Like there's a scene in the picture where he's he's significantly aged, and this this this youth that's been coming to the apartment for you know, like music lessons and so forth, thinks that he is the father of John. And she's like, oh, you know, I thought that because you have the same eyes. And yeah. His response is so haunting. He's like, he's like, he says something the effective Well, that's interesting. I've known him for so long and I never realized that, you know, I don't know. The little moments like that are just so well executed, all right. And then we also have Susan Sarandon playing Sarah Roberts, as we mentioned earlier. Born nineteen forty six, she's the first of three Rocky Horror Picture Show connections in this film. Susan Sarandon's career entails a great deal of mainstream dramatic success, obviously, but for many of us, I think she's always going to be a legend for her performances. Janet Weiss a heroin in the nineteen seventy five film Rocky hor Picture Show. Her screen and TV credits go back to nineteen seventy and includes such titles as seventy four as the Satan Murders, eighty seven's The Witches of Eastwick, ninety one's film and Louise ninety five's dead Man Walking and twenty twelve's Cloud Atlas, one time Oscar winner for dead Man Walking and five time nominee, including a nomination for Film and Louise, And you know, I also have nothing but great things to say about Sarandon in this picture, she's sporting a great androgynous look with short red hair. She is, essentially for most of the film our protagonists. I guess you could argue a gerontologist whose obsession for her works and transforms into an obsession for the mysterious Miriam Blaylock. And while our bisexual vampire duo here more stated with Miriam and implied with John, are maybe a bit more cliche in their depiction of bisexuality, you know, their indiscriminate supernatural beings the vampires here, I do feel like Sarah is presented in a especially for the time like refreshingly believable light. So her attraction to Miriam, despite her character having a boyfriend, is not presented as something that is in and of itself alarming or something that would otherwise be inconceivable for this character, you know, without the supernatural intrigue. So I applaud that in this film for sure.
Speaker 3: Oh, that seems to me to be just kind of an understood part of her character, Like they don't really discuss it explicitly, but like, for example, her kind of jerk boyfriend is suspicious of her when he learns that she spent the whole afternoon with this mysterious, beautiful woman.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. And the fact that it is understood without being like really called out in a way where like there's no scene where she explains it to him or anything, you know. Again, I think that's quite refreshing.
Speaker 3: I think Susan Sarandon's performance here is great, especially in the way that in the way that it changes over the course of the film, because when we first get to know her, she is in work mode. She is fully a professional, and all we're seeing is her interaction with the research that she does, like her engaging with the topics of her work as a professional. And even when she first meets John Blaylock played by Bowie, it's in that context. It's like a work thing. And then there is the strangest and most surprising shift, as like she is brought into the vampire characters' lives, that her role turns into an emotional and erotic one, and that she instead we instead learn about what she wants and what she feels, and her desires and her suffering, which was not really part of the character at all when we first met her, except in so far as like her desires and suffering related to her struggles with her research. That's a weird kind of arc to pull off within a story, and I think Sarandon handles it so well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lesser film and a lesser performance, it would have been the character taking her glasses off, you know, that sort of thing where it's just a complete shift and you just kind of roll with it because that's just how movies do it. But her performance brings those two sides together and make them both believable parts of the same human character. Now we mentioned the jerk boyfriend. The jerk boyfriend is Tom have Her played by Cliff de Young born nineteen forty five, a sixties rock star. The group was clear light not familiar with them. Turn Broadway actor. He was in Hair Turn film and TV actor, and he absolutely played Brad Major's and Farley flavors in nineteen eighty one Shock Treatment, Richard O'Brien's follow up to Rocky Horror, so in this de Young would be was taking over the role from Barry Bostwick, who played Brad in the original Rocky R Picture Show. Cliff de Young's other credits include nineteen eighty nine's Glory, nineteen ninety two's Doctor Giggles, and nineteen ninety six Is the Craft.
Speaker 3: Don't Forget. Also that he was in the nineteen eighties or maybe early nineties film called Pulse, which is an all appliances attack film. Like an evil I don't know, alien virus or something gets into the power lines and it makes the toasters go crazy and try to kill people.
Speaker 1: Oh man, maximum overdrive. Yeah, all right, we mentioned the youth. This is the character Alice. Alice Cavender played by Beth Ellers born nineteen sixty eight, a child slash youth actor at the time, but she'd go on to a long and award winning career on the soap Opera's Guiding Light and All My Children.
Speaker 3: Very tragic, innocent character. When you first meet her, you're just like, oh no, I think she's going to get her blood drank.
Speaker 1: And yeah, now when vampires start drinking folks blood. You know, occasionally the law starts sniffing around. In this film, that character is Lieutenant Ali Greza, played by Dan Hedeia born nineteen forty. We referenced him all the time, I feel like, but this is actually our first Dan Hidea film.
Speaker 3: I was shocked how cute Dan Hidea is in this movie. I think of him as, oh, you know, perennially crusty, mean, gristly, cantankerous old dude, or like the villain in Commando. But either way, a kind of perpetually older seeming character actor who just has a different energy than the Dan Hodea we get in this film. I think the major difference being this is one of the only times I've ever seen him with his hair grown out this long, and he looks positively scruffy as a police detective, which is against type anyway. So I don't know what's going on, but strange different turn for Dan.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. If you're not familiar with Danadeya, a memorable character actor with a real talent for playing often sleazy characters, villains and so forth. Be it the vengeful husband in nineteen eighty four's Blood Simple from the Coen Brothers or Richard Nixon in nineteen ninety nine. Dick, he's been active on screening TV since the mid seventies. And let's see, at this point in his career, he had just appeared in Alan Rudolph's cattle mutilation thriller in Dangered Species.
Speaker 3: Now, this just came up recently. That's different than the cattle mutilation movie that we did with Martin Landau.
Speaker 1: Correct, Yeah, different film. This one is more of a conspiracy thriller and it's quite good. So I recommend it if if you need to have a viewing party back to back cattle mutilation films, you watch those two.
Speaker 3: Also, though Dan Headea's character, correct me if I'm wrong, But I don't think the police make any progress one, no.
Speaker 1: Progress at all. He's completely ineffective. He doesn't even get killed. Like when he showed up, I was like, oh, he's getting the psycho treatment. This guy's going down the stairs. But no, there's just like nothing comes to the investigation, and then he comes up, comes back at the end of the picture and just kind of pokes around a little bit and figures out nothing.
Speaker 3: Why would they make him cute like this? If Atharine Danuve's not gonna drink his blood. I have no idea.
Speaker 1: Maybe they had to drop a subplot. I don't know, all right. I said there were three Rocky horror reference points in this picture. Well, the third is the actor Rufus Collins, who lived nineteen thirty five through nineteen ninety six. He plays the character Charlie Humphreyes. He's one of the other research scientists that Sarah is working with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so with Susan Sarandon, Clifty Young, and Rufus Collins together are the three gerontologists who were working in this lab brutally rotting monkeys alive in order to discover the secret of aging.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a stop motion effect. By the way, when we see that monkey rot, it's pretty nice.
Speaker 3: But yeah.
Speaker 1: Rufus Collins New York actor who started out in a living theater, which is an experimental acting troop of the day. He worked in the UK as well, which maybe why he's in this film because most of it was filmed in London. But he has some wild credits, including Andy Warhol's Batman Dracula from sixty four. I'm not sure what that is entailed. I've seen it referenced almost as like a lost film, so some sort of experimental Warhol project. But he's in both The Rocky Horror Picture Show and Shock Treatment, playing an uncredited, uncredited Transylvanian. In the former, if you look in the background, there's like at least one black Transylvanian with like really cool hair and sunglasses. That's Rufus Collins. Yeah, and then he plays a member of the camera crew in the latter picture.
Speaker 3: He wears like some neon sunglasses indoors in this movie. Lots of characters were sunglasses indoors in The Hunger, but he is one of them, and his sunglasses are cooler looking than most.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're a whole sit in. My wife and I were coming on this. There's a scene later on where I believe a Jigglow is brought back by Miriam purely for the purpose or mostly for the purposes of blood, and he's wearing sunglasses, as is she. She's a vampire, so we're like, Okay, she can wear sunglasses at night, but this dude's wearing sunglasses at night anyway. And the heart is so dark. Is anyone seeing anything? But yeah, everybody's wearing sunglasses. Everyone's smoking, like a chimney, all right. And finally it's worth noting that we have little more than a cameo here, very bit part. But Willem Dafoe pops up playing second phone booth youth and he was like he was twenty seven or twenty eight at the time, and it is this is the youngest I've seen Dafoe in a motion picture. This was only like his fourth screen or TV appearance. Dude, he is smooth, yeah, like he you know, you think of Dafoe or you know, or I think of William Dafoe. I think of like that rugged face, you know, you know, a very very handsome face, but very rugged. The lines are important to the overall work, and it's almost a little jarring to see him this young. He doesn't have much to do here. He doesn't drink blood, nor get his blood drink, but this would This still qualifies as the first of five Willem Dafoe vampire films that I know of, alongside A two thousand and one Shadow of a Vampire, twenty ten, Day Breakers, two thousand and nine circ A Freak The Vampire's Assistant, and of course twenty twenty four is Nosferatu.
Speaker 3: He doesn't play a vampire in this, but he looks like a vampire in his regular human makeup in Streets of Fire.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, that would be that. And I guess like eighty five's Roadhouse sixty six and To Live and Die in La were really those are more the launching points of his career. So he was really under the radar at this point.
Speaker 3: Have you never seen Streets of Fire and you want to have a good time, just look up Willem Defoe screaming Streets of Fire. That's that's a good face.
Speaker 1: All right, Really, I'll try and speak this along. I realized we're taking a while on the connections here, but we mentioned Dick Smith. Make Up illusions is what he's credited with here. We live twenty two through twenty fourteen. You know a host of talented makeup artists we're involved in bringing these characters to life. But Dick Smith played a key role in David Bowie's on screen aging effects. We previously discussed Smith in our episode on Scanners, which features number of amazing body horror effects, but he was also legendary for his aging makeup effects, most famously that of f Murray Abraham's Sealiari in eighty four Zamadaeis, which earned him an Academy Award. His other credits include seventy three's The Exorcist. In nineteen eighties Altered states.
Speaker 3: Oh does he do the just the de I wonder if The Exorcist was just demon makeup or if he also was making Father Maren look older.
Speaker 1: Hmm, yeah, I'm not entirely sure, but you know he was. You know, clearly he was skilled beyond mere aging effects, but he became well known for it. And to your point earlier about Prometheus, yeah, I feel like there are plenty of examples of movies that probably had more money behind them than films that utilized Dick Smith that ended up being less convincing in their aging makeup. He had a true gift for this sort of thing. Tony Scott mentions in the commentary track that Smith was disappointed that the lighting wasn't more intense in some of these scenes where David Bowie is aged and you know, and you know Tony's you know basically think, well, you know, that's part of it. Also, it's not just the makeup. You got to have the lighting, and you know, it makes it more effective. If things are not maybe completely in focus or completely lit, but it's kind of telling like that's how strongly Dick Smith believed in his makeup effects here. It's like, shine the lights on him. They can go out in the sun.
Speaker 3: Well, he's good. I understand why you had the confidence. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Costume. We don't always mention costuming, but Molina kind of Narrow was the costume and key to the costuming here. Born nineteen forty six, another legendary behind the scenes figure and thirty three time Oscar winner. Where do you even keep all those trophies? I'm not sure, But there's this one story, and this is one that that Tony shares on the commentary track. She's famously fled the set of the film one day and they were like, where is she? Where'd she go? Nobody knew. Turns out she flew from London to Rome just to get the right cloth for like a pocket square on David Bowie's costume. She was like, there's nothing here in London, I have to go to Rome to get it. So she just just flew in her own dime and came back with it.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: She's worked with such directors as Stanley Kubrick, Realley Scott, Francis Ford Coppola, and Wes Anderson, some of them, you know, multiple times. We're talking such costume rich films as seventy one's a Clockwork Orange, nineteen nineties Dick Tracy, and nineteen ninety nine's Titus.
Speaker 3: Those are all eye popping films. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The director of photography was Steven Goldblatt born nineteen forty five, South African born cinematographer who worked on such films as nineteen eighty one's Outland, eighty five's Young Sherlock Holmes, and nineteen ninety seven's Batman Forever, for which he was nominated.
Speaker 3: For an oscar That was the one. Yeah, it's boy Ling acid.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna mention the editor. We don't always mention the editor, but the editor in this film, I feel like it's something else. There's some very alarming editing choices at times. Pamela Power born nineteen forty two. She worked with Ridley Scott multiple times on seventy seven's The Duellist, his Apple Mac commercial from eighty four, eighty five's Legend, and ninety seven's Gije. Okay, now we get to the music and there are several people to mention on the musical note here, so much like the editing, the music is pretty wild. We have a mixture of needle drop classical tracks, experimental electronic sounds, and then a riveting opening performance by Bauhaus. Howard Blake born in nineteen thirty eight was the musical director in the film. He also served in this role on nineteen eighties Flash Gordon, which we previously talked about. Let's see that multiple classical tracks are used here. There's also a score by Guinea Jaguera, who also did the theme song for TVs The Powers of Matthew Starr, and Michael Rubini, who also worked on Matthew Starr but also went on to score the Likes of nineteen eighty four is What Waits below nineteen eighty six is Manhunter and ninety two's Nemesis.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember Man Hunter having intriguing music.
Speaker 1: As a stylish picture. Yeah, all right. And then finally, David Lawson or Dave Lawson is credited with performer, additional Electronic Music and Effects composer Additional Electronic music and Effects uncredited on that latter pump Point. But this guy's pretty interesting as well. There are a number of weird supernatural synth flourishes in the film, and when I heard them, I was like, this sounds like Jim Henson's Labyrinth. You know these sort of there's sort of like cascading synth waterfalls of supernatural intrigue, and they happen a lot in this picture, and they happen periodically in Labyrinth. And sure enough, I mean the same guy was involved in both of these pictures. Oh wow, yeah, so he Let's see, he he did supply. He supplied synthesized electronic sounds for The Dark Crystal in eighty two and also contributed to the Labyrinth score. Otherwise, he has a handful of film credits on the major databases, though sometimes he's not credited on the film, but if you look up the score album elsewhere, you can find that he's credited. Let's see, he worked on ninety four as Frankenstein. He worked with Trevor Jones on such films as Angel Heart in eighty seven Mississippi Burning in eighty eight. So he's a British keyboardist who was a member of the UK progressive rock band Greenslade. I was unfamiliar with Greenslade, but I pulled them up as I was working on notes here, and I like what they're laying down. It's kind of a neat prog rock sound with some synth in there. You know, maybe feels a little old fashioned, but in a good way, you know. Okay, So he's something of a synth legend. He played on the soundtrack for seventy six. Is the man who fell to Earth and worked with the likes of Jimmy Page and Kate Bush said to own one of the largest synth systems in Europe.
Speaker 3: The largest synth systems. What does that mean, like the physically largest.
Speaker 1: I guess it's kind of like, I think, maybe a collection of synths, but they're active and all like hooked together. I don't know. I found some. There's a Psychedelic Baby magazine has an interview with him from twenty twenty three and includes a number of photographs of him back in the day and in present times. And yeah, the ones from the seventies are pretty great because here's this like long haired dude, you know, of course, surrounded by synths and keyboards and all looks like he was quite the synth wizard of the day.
Speaker 3: I was trying to see if I could recognize any brands to know what his style was, But I do not know what these are.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, even when I hear guys like this talk about their dear I'm just not a gearhead for this sort of thing. So all the names of these various devices and innovations just go completely over my head. But I love the results. So you definitely hear his inflous on the sounds of the Hunger. But again, it's kind of all over the place. You have electronic, you have classical, and also some I guess more traditional score hidden in there as well, in addition to contemporary tracks like the Bauhause track that opens up the picture.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, is it time to talk a bit about the plot?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I let's jump in.
Speaker 3: So this is not one of those movies where we're going to do a kind of chronological scene by scene talk through the plot like we often do. Sometimes it just doesn't feel right with what the movie is. I think this is one of those cases. I've already described some of the plot, but here I think maybe we can do a kind of general overview and then talk about some specific scenes and elements and themes. So at the beginning of the story, John and Miriam Blaylock. That's David Bowie and Catherine Deneuve. They live in a house in New York City and they have seemingly been together for hundreds of years. Miriam is some kind of ancient being. We see brief flashbacks of her in what appeared to be palaces and maybe ancient Greece and certainly ancient Egypt. There are these different kind of costumes. I think we see some kind of Egyptian priesthood paraphernalia. I don't know if you had any particular observations about the ancient flashbacks, but I couldn't detect a lot of plot from them. They were not full of information. They were more full of vibe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these are not flashbacks in the Highlander sense where it's like, all right, we're going back now, and here's a definite time stamp of where we're going and when we're going to. It's presented very surrealistically and jarringly. There are multiple times like this in the picture where you're like, what's happening? Is this is the past? Yes, it must be the past, and then you kind of piece it together later. But yeah, Greco Egyptian is about the most I could make out of it.
Speaker 3: Though you could be forgiven for being confused when we cut to these palaces of the past, because in the opening, John and Miriam live together in this beautiful house in New York City that is very old world like. They are apparently fabulously wealthy, and their home is full of magnificent art. It's full of marble statues that they say are thousands of years old, and it's got these big, spacious Baroque rooms and musical instruments and stuff. So it seems like the kind of place you might suddenly go around a corner and be in a room that looks like it is a palace in ancient Egypt.
Speaker 1: When I am in New York and I get to walk around New York and I see a home where people live, I just assume these are sorts of people that live there, and this must be ancient vampires with you know, generational wealth and supernatural blood.
Speaker 3: So the flashbacks they showed that, but they also show us Miriam and John falling in love when John was a mortal, and I believe this is supposed to be somewhere in Europe in the seventeenth century. I think I read somewhere it said France, but I don't recall the movie saying France.
Speaker 1: It feels very French.
Speaker 3: So they are falling in love in powdered Wigland, and she promises him eternal life and eternal love, and they drink one another's blood to turn John into her youthful vampire lover for ages to come. And there's something about this scene where they prose the promise is forever, and this promise of forever is repeated later in the story, like I think I'm remembering this right. There are scenes of them early in the film, in their nineteen eighties New York phase where they're still trading these reassurances, Like there's one part where I think they're in the shower and John just asks forever and she says forever. Now. Maybe here we should do an aside on the opening sequence, because that gives us a flavor of part of what they do in their nineteen eighties New York life. Before seeing this movie, I really did not know what it was going to be like, but I guess I assumed that the whole thing was going to be a lot more like the first ten minutes. This was not the case, but the opening sequence rocks strictly in terms of what happens. It's just our two original vampires, Miriam and John. They go to a goth club, they pick up a couple of dates, they bring them back home and they drink their blood. But the sequence is so fun everybody. So there's the goth clothing, all this dark leather, people wearing sunglasses inside in the dark, and Bawhouse performing apparently inside some kind of animal cage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you will observe many things in this film through slits, slats, blinds, cages, and of course translucent black capes and drapes and veils. And again I also, I hope you're not trying to quit smoking while watching this film because there's a lot of cigarette smoking. Yes, But yeah, that's Bowhouse, sweet singer Peter Murphy performing in the goth club himself looking like some sort of an undead creature, and they're performing their biggest tip, Bela Lugosi's Dead. I do wish they'd included all nine minutes and thirty four seconds of the track because it's a tremendous track. I got to see Baohaus perform at Coachella back in two thousand and five, and they opened with Peter Murphy performing Bela Lugosi's Dead whilst suspended upside.
Speaker 3: Down on stage. It was pretty great.
Speaker 1: So here, yeah, we get these scenes of the club, Peter Murphy, our vampire couple strolling in, but then we get also we can also get some like crazy cuts. This is where we first started start getting hit with like crazy cuts to them, like driving and stuff later on, and then we keep cutting back to Peter Murphy's performance during the vampire blood drinking scene that shortly follows.
Speaker 3: That's right, So Miriam and John they both pick up someone, they bring them back together to their home, and they start like they're going to have sex, but instead they end up, of course, cutting them and drinking their blood. We'll talk more about the mechanics of the blood drinking in a moment, but we do see here something that is I think, while a lot of this movie is different than other vampire movies and very fresh and unusual, a common convention you see in vampire films that's also present here is that some of the most erotically charged imagery is used in the lead up to blood drinking rather than to sex. This does imply a kind of blurring of the lines between like the vampire's carnal desires and appetites, Like, to them, is the blood sexier than sex? And if so, how does this affect the way we should think about the vampire's love stories.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is a great point. Yeah, multiple points in the film, including some very subtle moments, it's clear that the desire to feed is also the desire for sex. Yeah, and one, I don't know, I got the impression that made that one is not merely a stepping stone for the other, like it, Like, I didn't get as much the idea that it's like, oh, well, only they only do sex because they just want to do blood, like the two scene instead.
Speaker 3: I guess you're right, Yeah, they are kind of the same. Yeah.
Speaker 1: There's a great scene later on where John is aging rather rapidly and he's in I guess it's so just a restroom, but it feels like a locker room, and there's like a shirtless man like splashing his face with watter next to him, and he's like eyeing the guy's throat, And that too, is also a very like less overt, more subtle moment where there's a feeling of the desire both for flesh in the sexual sense and also blood in the vampiric sense.
Speaker 3: Now a note on the vampire mechanics here. The vampires in this movie do not, I believe, have fangs, or at least I don't recall ever seeing them. I don't know what the novel describes, but I don't think we see fangs in the movie, and that would make sense because instead they slice. The way they get the blood from their victims is they attack with a particular dedicated tool, slice their victims' arteries with this little ank blade and then like they wear it around their neck like a crucifix, except it's an Egyptian style onk and then they cut the neck and then they drink the blood like you would from a water fountain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I believe you're right, No, fans, I never saw any things. And they're tool users and they're feeding. There's a really fun Key and Peel sketch from years back about or where they discuss how vampires make too much of a mess when they feed, like they bite and then there's just blood everywhere, and they're not getting enough of the blood into their mouths. Well, this vision of vampirism at least excuses all the gushing and mess making because they don't have like dedicated, like feeding mouth parts so much they have to stab, They have to allow for there to be a gush and then feed on it as best they can.
Speaker 3: I feel like the movie also takes seriously the mess. Yeah, like you see them cleaning up afterwards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, cleanup seems to be a big deal. And there's some hauntingly beautiful and very power scenes I'm thinking, particularly after the first killing, we get the scene of the two bloody Anks landing in the sink during the wash up, and then of course we see the incineration of the corpses of the drained victims and that they're like wrapped in black garbage bags. And then they're placing the incinerator and the plastic is like, you know, melting around the bodies. Yeah, all very well executed.
Speaker 3: The police do not seem concerned by the fact that John and Miriam have an incinerator in their basement.
Speaker 1: I guess it's like only murders in the building, Like all these buildings in New York have powerful incinerators that just completely atomized bodies, So I guess they're just used to it.
Speaker 3: So I wanted to pause for a moment here and explore the question of what other powers or limitations do the vampires have within the lore of the film. So we've established that they have arrested aging or unnaturally prolonged youth, perhaps turn youth in Miriam's case. Unclear. I was wondering, are they supposed to be invulnerable or resistant to regular injuries? I really don't think so. In fact, several things happen in the movie that made it seem like the vampires can be harmed by standard physical forces. I get the impression that in this world, like you could really wound a vampire. A human, regular mortal could really wound a vampire as easily as they could wound another human. But maybe I'm forgetting something to the contrary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the vampires do need to drink blood. In fact, they have this insatiable craving, and that is really framed more I guess this is actually quite common, but it's framed more as a weakness than a power. You know, It's like they need they need to sate this hunger, and it causes them to do things that are in some cases destructive to their own well being.
Speaker 1: Right right.
Speaker 3: Empires in the movies often have a kind of super strength. I think Miriam does have super strength, because at one point we see her throw Sarah clear across the room. Does John have in human strength? I don't recall ever seeing in any evidence of that.
Speaker 1: If he does, he never employs it. So it's if he has that supernatural strength, using it is not really a part of his character. But I guess I'm inclined to think that maybe he doesn't have it, Like maybe that's one of the limitations of him being the vampire spawn, the vampire thrall, or a half vampiric being, however you want to describe it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Now, there's no problem with them going out in sunlight. They venture out in the daytime throughout the film, and they don't have to sleep in coffins or in their native soil. They sleep in a big kind of you know, a wind blown music video bed.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I mean I get the impression they sleep in a lot, but it's not like they can't go out in the sun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't recall any apparent influence of religious imagery or material.
Speaker 1: I think there's one. I think one of the phone booth guys, not William Dafoe, but the other guy maybe has a cross on, but it's ambiguous if it actually has any effect on the vampirically affected character who views it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so maybe Miriam has super strength, and unclear if John does. But apart from that, really, the only great kind of power we see of the vampires, I think is just the fact that they live eternally or so called eternally, that they do not age, they can maintain youth for a long time. Would you say that there's any other apparent power on display.
Speaker 1: I think that's mostly it now. Miriam in particular is quite seductive and charismatic. People are drawn to her. But I never thought that this was presented in a definite Dracula's gaze sort of way, like she a Yeah, to an extent, you could say she casts a spell Sarah, but I don't think in the literal sense, not in a way that overrides Sarah's agency in the seduction.
Speaker 3: You know, Yeah, Sarah doesn't seem like hypnotized. She seems more I don't know, encouraged to give in to something that she does want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'd be more like being starstruck, except you know, it's like the vampiric version of that, I guess.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So anyway, worth noting that the vision of vamporism in this film is quite mechanically limited compared to most vampire lore. Many of the standard horror tropes do not apply.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no garlic in this picture. No steaks, nothing like that.
Speaker 3: There is steak in the picture.
Speaker 1: There's a steak. Yeah, there's rare steak.
Speaker 3: Of course, a quite significant steak scene where after Susan Sarandon has been turned, she's like at a restaurant trying to eat some steak and just like yuck, only want blood.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, And she's like He's like, I can't believe you spent three and a half hours with that woman. You need to go to a doctor.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think you have bisexual ititis or something. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Anyway, So to come back to our sort of zoomed out overview of the plot. In the opening again, John and Miriam they're living this apparently fabulous life. They live this big, beautiful house in New York. When they're not hunting for victims at goth clubs. They appear to spend a lot of their time on artistic leisure. They are both musicians. I think Miriam plays the piano and John plays the cello, and they like to play music with a talented young teenage violinist from the house across the street named Alice. Does she take music lessons from them?
Speaker 1: I was unclear on that if she just jams with them or she takes lessons at any rate, it's you know, it's probably fine. This is probably totally okay that she's coming over here and hanging out with these two ancient vampires.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not going anywhere good. Anything else to say about their apparently somewhat happy life in the beginning, I.
Speaker 1: Mean much other than it does seem like they are happy content. That doesn't seem like they particularly have any vampire hunters breathing down their necks or anything. And I guess they've been going at it for a long time and they're staying on top of the fashions like sometimes, I mean, there's so many ways to treat longevity and vampires in fiction, and sometimes vampires are depicted as like totally out of keeping with modern fads and so forth, and certainly technology and also maybe being rather bored, like they just run out of passion. These two seem to still have a lot of passion for what's popular in the world, changing musical genres and so forth, and you know, they're staying active. They're still killing people and drinking their blood and then burning them in the basement.
Speaker 3: And the way in which their hip seems to be, I don't know, basically just keeping pace with culture. You don't get like that Saltation view where or it's like in Francis Ford Coppola is Dracula, where Gary oldman. You know, he's got the big bun head and he's decrepit and an old world, and then suddenly all at once he's rejuvenated and hip and stylish. Anyway, the trouble of the plot starts when John notices that he is losing his hair and he can't seem to sleep, and he notices several things and realizes he is aging rapidly. Apparently years are falling off of his life every day. Now. One question here I was trying to remember is what is the level of openness between John and Miriam about this. I seem to remember that they do talk about it as if he knew this might happen at some point, Like I remember he asks Miriam how long it took for another person to decay in this way? Presumably this was a previous lover of Miriam's, but I also don't get the impression that he knew this would happen before he was turned. Did you take that all the same way?
Speaker 1: I mean, it's this is one of the more thought provoking mysteries of the film, I think, because like logically in the film, yeah, he seems to be aware that there were other lovers in the past, that they they went away, that they know faded away one way or another, and that something like that could happen to him. On the other hand, there is the whole reassurances of things being forever. And then of course this also ties into how I think, you know, we all to varying degrees deal with or don't deal with aging and mortality, Like we all know that we will grow old and that we will die. That that is like the biological trajectory, and that you know, very little can can occur to to change that path. And yet I think we often carry on like John not thinking about it, finding ways to avoid the reality of it, and and then when it does begin to occur, it, you know, it comes as a shock, but it's not a shock because we knew it all along, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Though, I mean for John, there's this interesting dynamic because it's like he short sold his life. Essentially. He had all these many many years unnaturally extended life and youth. He's been young and vigorous for so long, and now it's all coming home. It's all coming home at once. It's happening so fast. Yeah. So anyway, John is in this state and on TV he sees a report about the work of a gerontologist named doctor Sarah Roberts. This is the character played by Susan Sarandon. She's written a book about her work and she's performing experiments along with a couple of colleagues, Charlie Humphries and Tom have her Tom again is Sarah's boyfriend. Together, they are trying to understand the process of aging at the cellular level and possibly halt or reverse it, particularly to help children who have diseases that cause accelerated aging and deterioration. And these characters, the scientist characters, are interesting because On one hand, we see what seems to me to be obvious care, a real desire to help people, especially children, Like their motivations are represented as not impure, and yet they're also not lionized. The scientists are not treated as saints. They in some ways come off as quite brutal, like we see them performing these gory, horrifying experiments on monkeys where one of these experiments in a really great special effects shop by the way, causes like a monkey to rapidly age and then turbo decompose in minutes, like when you drink from the fallse Scraale in the Last Crusade. Yeah, we also see them. We see just sort of human failings of these scientists, like when Sarah and John first meet, Sarah is rude and dismissive to him and she lies to him. John comes asking for help, and then also Tom have her boyfriend, the other scientist. He comes off as a total jerk, though at the same time there are also indications that he genuinely cares for Sarah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, he's put in a tough spot, I guess to some degree, and we're not maybe as privy as much to his side of things. But Yeah, that scene where John is sort of cast aside by Sarah and she's like, just wait wait for me in the waiting room and I'll get back to you later. And then she tells the security guy it's like, there's another weirdo here. Just leave him alone. He'll probably get bored and leave on his own. And then we the viewer watch as John literally grows like decades older in the waiting room, a scene that I think could otherwise come off as comedic, like because when you're explaining it's like, you literally watch him grow old in the waiting room. It sounds like a comedic bit, but it's executed in a way that does not feel funny. And and the effect, the makeup effects are of course so convincing. We don't see any kind of like transition effect. It's all you know, checking back in with him and seeing that he's visibly aged and yeah, like he ends up leaving the waiting room a much older man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then as he's leaving, Sarah sees him again and he and he recognizes her, knowing that like she totally blew him off and lied to him earlier, but she sees now that he has visibly rapidly aged since earlier that day, and at this point she tries to apologize and she's like, oh, no, come with me. You know, we'll bring you in for tests, we'll see what's going on. But now John's pride is hurt and he refuses her help. And I think we kind of talked about that earlier, the way that John's personality is represented as kind of when he faces the you know, these extreme troubles, just kind of like taking it inside and pushing it underneath. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like this was his last, his only attempt to like reach out for help, and it did turn out the way he hoped it would, and there's not going to be a second chance for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And then there's a section here where John is you can tell he's hungry, so he's trying to feed. We see him have encountered. He's very rapidly aging, turning old in the course of this single day. And he goes into a bathroom the scene you talked abou where he sees the man I don't know, shaving or whatever in the sink and he's staring at him. I think he tries to attack a skater in a park.
Speaker 1: But oh, it's a roller skater. Yeah. Yeah, Like they set up this really cool scene where it's like, what's happening? Where are we now? Another music video has started. This guy starts doing some cool skating and then here comes John. Attempts to stab him and drink his blood, but then it doesn't fully pull it off for some reason.
Speaker 3: So he comes home and then oh no, because he's so old. Now, when the neighbor girl Alice comes over to play music, John has to pretend to be some one else because she won't recognize him he looks so much older. And then even worse when she's in there, he talks her into playing some music for him, and we don't see it. It happens off screen, but we know what. He kills her and drinks her blood.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And he gets more heartbreaking from there with John, because he just gets progressively older. Miriam is walking this line between comforting him and keeping him at arm's length, and she's having to burn Alice's body in the basement, and then John comes down and he's he's sold at this point. He asks for one more kiss and then he asks if she will kill him, and you know, and and in this and like heartbreakingly she tells him, like, you know, it doesn't work like that, Like, you don't die, you don't get to die. And and again it's maybe a little unclear to what extent he knew this was the case or remembered it was the case. I'm not sure, but yeah, it's quickly made obvious that that, yeah, he's not going to grow old and die, He's just going to grow perpetually older, but have eternal life in a very non glamorous way.
Speaker 3: That's right. There is no death for a vampire. That's the twist. There is just aging and pain and decay, but actually no end. And then in a ooh for me, a hair raising scene where she takes him up to the attic and she deposits his aging body inside a coffin next to this huge stack of other coffins that are filled with Miriam's previous lovers, all of whom are reduced to husks inside the coffins, but are not gone. They are all still conscious inside, and she bids her other previous lovers to keep him company and to treat him with kindness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, very haunting. Yeah, thousands of years worth of lovers here stored away in neat little stacks.
Speaker 3: So here the story switches. Miriam is left alone, and who should come to the house now, but Sarah, Sarah, the researcher, the gerontologist. Her initial line of inquiry is where is John. She somehow got his address, and she is trying to find him because obviously somebody who's aging as rapidly as him would be of interest to her research. Miriam initially tells tell Sarah that he went to Switzerland. I think so she thinks he's at a clinic there. But she comes in and she begins to get to know Miriam. And this is where the story takes a really different kind of turn, because I think the way again, Miriam is often presented in a kind of ambiguous way. We don't always know exactly what she's feeling. She's more hard to scrutinize than many of the human characters. But I suspect that the implication is that Miriam is now lonely, because there was the idea, of course, she had John, and she loved John. And there was also the implication that she and John discussed that maybe one day, when Alice was older, she would turn Alice into a vampire as well, and she would become her new companion, and she'd been thinking about this, but of course John killed Alice and drank her blood. So now Miriam really doesn't seem to have a friend in the world.
Speaker 1: But then, oh, here's Sarah, and Sarah has a lot of things going for and there is an opening in the significant other market here in Miriam's.
Speaker 3: House that's right now, somewhere in here, I think. Actually, Sarah comes twice to visit in between their two visits, I think, or when the cops come to investigate, and this goes absolutely nowhere.
Speaker 1: Absolutely nowhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but Sarah does eventually come back to visit Miriam again. And here is where things really take a turn. Upon the second visit, it's it becomes increasingly clear that Miriam and Sarah are interested in each other. They are, you know, Miriam is is playing the piano and they're talking about what the music is. Miriam is explaining the piece of music, and Sarah keeps commenting that it sounds like a love song. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And on this second visit, Sarah also you know, shows up wearing a sexy outfit and it's not long before that outfit gets what some Sherry spilled on it. And you know, things things progress as you might expect. Much is said about the fact that she doesn't even like Sherry. Of course that's the other part. But somehow it's different with Miriam, and and so they they imbbe Now.
Speaker 3: I guess this leads to the scene that Roger Ebert liked. This is the love scene between Sarah and Miriam, which, as we talked about earlier, it there is a kind of mingling of the of the romantic desire and the desire for blood. And it's pretty clear what Miriam's aims are at this point. Miriam wants not only to drink Sarah's blood, but to give of her blood to Sarah as well, to turn her into a vampire.
Speaker 1: She wants companionship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so it's this weird dreamlike scene where ultimately I think in this scene they do drink of each other's blood. So there's like a wound in Sarah's arm where she's been pierced by the onk, but she has also taken of Miriam's blood.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and again this is a very artful, stylish sequence. It's certainly by by today's standards. There's nothing, you know, very explicit about it, though it is it is very erotically charged. And yeah, to Susan's Randon in her comments on you know, says that she thinks it was probably ahead of its time, you know, for eighty three, But yeah, I mean, and to Ebert's point, it is a highly effective sequence.
Speaker 3: Now we do see Sarah kind of trying to go back to her own, her old life after this, but it's just it's not going to work out at this point. So there are several different scenes. There are scenes of her increasingly tense and failing relationship with Tom, her boyfriend. Like they go out to dinner and they discuss things. Tom airs his suspicions and they you know, they are fighting about that. She doesn't seem to want food for some reason. It's like she orders a steak, but she's like, I can't eat this, and I think it makes her throw up.
Speaker 1: Later, she said them oysters back. There's oysters or muscles every see, but she sent them back and he's like, I can't believe you did that.
Speaker 3: Also, she starts doing some tests on herself in the laboratory and their colleague, Charlie, he explains what's going on. He's like, whoops, well, looking at your blood. We see that you actually have some kind of alien blood in you. There's you, there's you blood, and then there's some other non human kind of blood, and they're fighting for dominance within your veins, and the other blood is winning.
Speaker 1: And so in this Sarah is feeling the titular hunger. She is craving the blood. She is herself becoming a vampire, and like Miriam needs to feed, but she doesn't know how to do any of these things. She needs Miriam's guidance in order to fully transition into this life as a creature of the night.
Speaker 3: That's right. So there's more negotiation on these fronts. We see that Sarah is not immediately into the idea of drinking blood to survive, but she kind of ends up without a choice and it doesn't she so she's like extremely weakened and she ends up staying at Miriam's house and she's like in a bed there and at one point they have more interactions, but eventually Miriam's look, I'm gonna do the work. I'm gonna show you what to do. I'll go get a guy, and so she goes and there's like a great scene where she goes out and gets a guy wearing sunglasses at night and brings him back to the house for Susan Sarandon to eat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is the Jiggolow character. And boy, they really went out of their ways to make sure you were okay with this dude getting fanged. Were not actually fanged? Honked and drained because he's like, he's rude, he's looking in the liquor cruit cabinet and he like spits his chewing gum out in Miriam's apartment. So we're like, we're totally okay with this guy getting it, and it doesn't take long before he does get it.
Speaker 3: So at this point you might be assuming, okay, well, is Sarah just going to embrace the new lifestyle? Is Sarah? This is what I am now. I am Miriam's vampire lover. I am her vampire spawn. I can have eternal youth, and I just need to pick up people at the goth club, bring him back here and drink their blood. And that's what we're gonna do for I don't know however long it takes. I don't recall does she get any indication of that what happened to John will also happen to her eventually do they talk about that.
Speaker 1: I don't know that they talk about it at all, No, But I mean, obviously we the viewer knows that that would be the end result, you know, some centuries down the line.
Speaker 3: But instead of the full embrace of what happens, there is a twist. Sarah proves a more recalcitrant, yeah, kind of new Vampa. There's something more of her original humanity left than it seems like happened with any of Miriam's previous lovers. So instead of fully embracing the new lifestyle, there's a confrontation and a big terrible climax. Now I forget exactly how it is triggered. What is it that Sarah does that ends up with Miriam like carrying her upstairs to like rapidly put her away with the other old lovers. Is it that she tries to make Miriam drink her blood.
Speaker 1: I'm a little unsure about how what exactly happens in this moment, but she ends up stabbing herself with the ank. Yeah, during a very close embrace, one of these embraces where you're not sure at first who is stabbed by and who does the stabbing, But yeah, she stabs herself, and then Miriam is like, well this is you know, she's clearly heartbroken by this. You know, she clearly had very strong feelings for Sarah and saw a future with Sarah. But now she's going to have to take Sarah up to the attic and file her away with the others.
Speaker 3: Right, But then it is revenge of the zombies. The ex lovers emerge in their withered, dusty husk forms and they all come out and they they take their vengeance or should it be thought of as vengeance, I don't know exactly what you how you frame it, but they they surround and attack Miriam and destroy her.
Speaker 1: There are so many places in this film where I feel like a lesser film would have gone in a different direction. I think there's certain pitfalls that a movie like this might have naturally veered into. And I think this is a key example. I think in a lesser picture, it would have been a pure vengeance of the zombies, like they would have attacked her, torn her apart or something. It's because the yeah, the undying husks of her former lovers do come out of their boxes. Yeah, And I think a lesser film might have had them be a direct physical cause of Miriam's demise. You know, she would have been torn apart by her demons in a literal fashion. But if we wouldn't have fit here because you know, set lovingly aside, they still love her, they still pine for her. I don't think they would intentionally hurt her still, even in the reduced state. Plus, though they're longing is strong, they're physically quite weak and powerless, like they're almost dust at this point. What could they do? And she clearly has heightened strength. So instead it feels more like it's like it's not as much it's their presence, certainly, but it's also the cumulative guilt of it all that overcomes Miriam and leads to what appears to be her physical death or physical demise, and this ends up ending the cursed existence of her thralls, like they finally crumble to dust.
Speaker 3: It is not exactly clear what the mechanism, what all is going on here, but it feels like it works. I will say after this, I mean, it's curious to because this is not quite the end of the film. We also see something else with Sarah, don't we.
Speaker 1: That's right, because I really at this point in the picture. I thought Sarah was dead. I thought she killed herself via the unk, that's why she was being filed away. But you know, at the end we get this really excellent sequence where we see Sarah standing on in the balcony of this like modern high rise in what I believe is London. And it's quite quite fetching because you have the varied and at times quite old bits of architecture visible in the city, you know, so it kind of, you know, it kind of meshes nicely with this idea of empiric life. But Mike, I had several questions, like, Okay, is Sarah a vampire now or is she free of the curse completely? In his mortal again? Did she? Or you know, did she dodge the fate and the curse? Has the experience unlocked some key into her own research? I assume she's keeping going with her work, but is it going to take a new turn now that she has has either been a vampire or partially been a vampire or is still a vampire? We don't know. We're left to ponder it. And what happened to Miriam, Like is Miriam completely destroyed or is she in one of the boxes now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, good question. Yeah, so a lot of questions left open at the ending, and I don't know exactly how to interpret it. But but yeah, despite I don't know exactly what to say about the ending, but I love the film overall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was. I was quite impressed with it, you know, I like you. I kind of thought the first ten minutes, we're going to set the tone for the entire picture, and it ended up being a much more poignant and thought provoking motion picture overall.
Speaker 3: One last thing I wanted to mention before we wrap up here, and it was the thought about the interaction between the vampire themes of the story and the and a common thing that's true about well, I was going to say love stories and movies, but actually just love in real life, and that is the way that the vampire setting really helps the us against the world feeling of being in love. I'm not the first person to point this out, of course, you know, this is a commonly observed thing, but there is a way in which true love really kind of it. It does encourage a kind of contempt for like the rest of reality. You know that when people are in love, they like to talk, you know, like to you know, to say mean things about other people to each other and to kind of be in a conspiracy. When people are in love, they like to do kind of selfish or irresponsible things against other people outside of that two person conspiracy, it's just kind of it happens naturally. I don't know exactly why that is, but it just seems to be a thing that flows naturally from this two person bond. And that works so well when your two characters are vampires, because that's exactly the mechanic of the story. It's like we together are in on this great secret. We're working this little, this little blood conspiracy. And so we can go out to the club and only you and I are in on the joke that the people that we bring home or that we're just going to kill them, and you know, their bodies end up in the incinerator. And you know, so we've talked about that us against the world quality in other great love movies we've done before. It's kind of there totally different themes, but they're in a danger diabolic, you know, the way that the two lovers are in on crimes together. Uh and and the same thing as present here, and that is such a fun and mysterious and interesting dynamic, Like it's funny to see it play out and it feels good, but it also just raises these questions like why is that so common that people feel and act that way when they're in love? Like what is it about being in love that does that to us? It kind of kind of makes us bad to the rest of the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess that's one of the appeals of paranormal romances and paranormal love stories, because the experience of being in love, the experience of being in a romance does feel supernatural. It does have that kind of energy to it. You know, you're not it feels like you have fallen in love with a vampire or a werewolf or a sasquatch or a centaur, you know whatever. You know, your interest happens to be on the page or on the screen.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, Happy Valentine's Day everybody.
Speaker 1: All right, just a reminder to everybody that's stuffed. To Blow Your Mind is primarily a science and culture podcast with core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but on Fridays we set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird film here on Weird House Cinema. If you want to check out a list of all the movies we've covered over the years, and sometimes a peek ahead of what comes next, you can go to letterbox dot com. Our user name there is weird House, and you'll find a nice list of everything. And of course you can write into us as well let us know what vampire film we should do next. You know, sometimes weeks ahead we're gonna do some other non vampire films for sure, but we'll keep coming back to vampires and were wolves and mummies.
Speaker 3: It's inevitable huge things. As always to our excellent audio producer Jjposway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 2: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.