Speaker 1: Hey, the folks, is June third, Tuesday, June third. Welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. We continue to be your one stop shot to catch you up on the Ditty trial which is now and it's fourth another day of testimonies in the books. We will go through that for you in a second. That full day was described as combative. But as we record this robes we sit here, today's court has begun and if we thought yesterday was combative, today has already jumped off with fireworks before the jury even comes into the room.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 3: So a man who was in the courtroom on Monday apparently violated the order by the judge that referred to their star witness as Mia. That was her pseudonym. That was the former assistant to Ditty who says she was raped by Ditty, who says she was sexually abused by Ditty. Well, there was a man in the courtroom who used her real name, her actual name on his YouTube channel and violated that order. So he was also seen recording outside the courthouse on Monday. So the judge granted a request from prosecutors to ban this man from the courtroom if he ever tries to return, and no word if there'll be any further charges, because what he did is violated court order, which I would believe would be considered criminal.
Speaker 1: I have it right. This is court order and journalism right. It's an understanding, and it's a long held and sacred rule. You do not identify publicly a sexual assault accuser. You just do not do that. So this is different still from me, rotes, I am to your point. There was an order. This wasn't just a matter of an understanding from news outlets. He ordered people not to identify her, so there could be some penalties for him.
Speaker 2: Correct. I would have think there would be.
Speaker 3: In perhaps there should be, because this isn't just about this case. This is a larger There's a reason why judges put these orders in place, and why news outlets credited. News outlets honor this idea that we don't out alleged sexual assault victims, because you don't want to discourage any woman. It's already hard enough to get up there and talk about the worst, most humiliating moment of your life potentially.
Speaker 2: So you have to be able to be afforded that.
Speaker 3: Opportunity to not have your identity smeared everywhere people going into your history and making revictimizing you, so to speak. So that's just why that's in place, And so you'd never want to discourage any woman or any member of the community who's been sexually abused from coming forward.
Speaker 1: And if you take a lot of these witnesses at their word, they're scared to death of this man and what he can do. So there's also that element of putting this particular witness in some kind of danger by identifying her. This is wildly irresponsible. I know he is, and to a proven guilty, we understand, but she has a story to tell and this just feels like an awful, unnecessary and intentional violation, Like he's going forward, what is he trying to do?
Speaker 3: Well, it's interesting because you mentioned the fear there. There are hardcore Sean ditty Combe's supporters in that courtroom, around the courtroom and certainly around the world, and so that's concerning. And to your point, there was another disruption before the jurors came in from a Diddy supporter, so actually a woman. The judge had to remove a woman earlier this morning from yelling and disrupting the court. She was screaming out ditty, these mother efforts laughing at you, and they had to remove from court. So there are people who feel passionately on both sides of the aisle.
Speaker 1: All right, So that was again, folks, as we record this, we're going to give you what happened in the full day that's in the books, which was yesterday, as today's court is just getting going. So we did want to at least share some of the early tidbits coming out of the courtroom today. Yesterday, Robes, we had two witnesses. We had one person who was a representative of the Beverly Hills Hotel, talked about receipts and whatnot, explained some things to the jury. The other, of course, was Mia and Robes. Mia has now been on the stand longer than they anticipated. Mia is the former assistant who says she was raped and sexually assaulted repeatedly over the years working for him. They're a little behind schedule. They've had to rearrange some other witnesses who had flights and whatnot because this one got contentious. It went long, and you could tell Robes how important this witness is to both sides, yes, exactly.
Speaker 3: And cross examination meaning the questioning that happened from Diddy's lawyers was intense, to say the least, to the point where it got to be so much prosecutors pulled them aside and had a sidebar with the judge and was saying, Hey, they're badgering our witness. They are going too far and being too harsh milk, and they even use the word harassment. So that's how heated it got in the core room yesterday, prosecutors trying to stop defense attorneys from their line of questioning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the just agreed with I think most of it. They I think they're also called said the defense was being sarcastic the dress. I don't see the sarcasm, but the rest of what you said is accurate. So the judge agreed, and the back and forth was pretty intense, and it all kind of ropes had to do with the witness's own words. They made her read a lot of her messages of love and adoration and inspiration from Diddy, so they had to hear a long live They said, about fifty Instagram messages and whatnot. They went through of her seeming to enjoy what she was working.
Speaker 2: I have to say, so we heard some of this from the day before.
Speaker 3: But when you really start reading what she not only posted on Instagram, because maybe you could make the argument that a lot of folks put what they wish their life could be like her, the best version of whatever happened online.
Speaker 2: But these direct.
Speaker 3: Text messages to Diddy as late as twenty twenty two, it is hard to get your head around some of these things that she was texting him from. I guess I believe they said from three years after she was let go, all the way up until two three years ago. I love you, I will always be here for you in any capacity. I love you with all of my heart, and I am here for you forever. These are all texts that she sent him years after she claims she was raped, sexually assaulted and continually verbally and physically abused by it.
Speaker 1: So that would last when you read I love you with all my heart and I'm here for you forever. She wrote that to Diddy in twenty twenty. She had been getting sexually assaulted and raped by him, according to her, since two thousand and nine, when she started working for him. She stopped in twenty seventeen, and then three years later she sends that message. Look, she said plenty of times, call my therapist. It's called psychological abuse. She's said plenty of things that she was brainwashed.
Speaker 2: Brainwashed was the thing she used yesterday.
Speaker 1: But the jury, it's hard to understand it.
Speaker 3: It's hard to the one exchange that gave me a little bit of light into where she was thinking and how she was explaining this. She was asked, why did you try to keep the person who abused you happy? And she said, because when he was happy, I was safe. And I get that perhaps while you're working with him, But once you've left, and you've been gone for years and you have no reason to physically fear him, why keep inserting yourself back into his life? Why keep telling him you love him? Why keep telling him you miss him? She saw their Netflix series on She's like, it makes me miss you.
Speaker 2: All of that's all hard to understand.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there is a therapist out there or someone who deals with people who've been abused who can explain this very easily and say, yes, this is even common that you still do feel some kind and again it's not. It wasn't all bad, So there was some point of a loving relationship she had with Sean Diddy combs. I'm just saying, for the matter of a jury sitting there trying to get their head around that it's difficult. And this was a tough back and forth, and the defense by all the accounts made some headway in trying to go after her credibility. And you know, it was funny at the very beginning. This is how the cross examination started to ask her where she went to school? What was your GPA? And immediately the prosecution objected and the judge sustained the object It just has nothing to do with nothing.
Speaker 3: Well, he wanted to say, are you a smart girl? And if you're a smart girl, why are you acting like.
Speaker 1: So there you go, the humiliation and the things you talk about. They set a tone from the very beginning of how they were going to go.
Speaker 3: I mean they flat out said she was lying and was a money grabber, yes, and jumping in on the me too movement.
Speaker 2: They humiliated her. They harassed her for sure.
Speaker 3: I mean absolutely, I thought one of the or bizarre exchanges and I know it caught your eye as well or your ear at least when there was a text message between Mia and Diddy where she relates a dreams she had to him that she had a dream she was stuck in an elevator with R Kelly and that he came and rescued her.
Speaker 2: We're talking about R Kelly now all things in the Diddy trial.
Speaker 1: He is literally in prison right now for sex trafficking and that comes up.
Speaker 2: Convicted in twenty twenty two, three years ago.
Speaker 1: And this is the guy. She says, Yeah, some weird she has a dream about R Kelly and she's stuck with him an elevator. But the message she sent to Diddy after that, I screamed for you and you came to rescue me. She sent that to him, and the judge, I mean the defense Atarney, excuse me, are asking like, this is the guy you scared of, This is the guy that's your tormentor. Why is it you are going and why would you send a message like that? And her response again, she said, yes, he was my tormentor and he was my protector. He served as both of those for her at times. This is fascinating to listen to one to someone, if you do take her at her word at all of this happened, It's fascinating to hear where her head is and how she views that relationship. And again, she's been in tons of therapy, she says, but man, this is some heavy stuff.
Speaker 3: And as she referenced therapy, the defense actually asked if she would be willing to lift her patient therapist confidentiality and actually let the defense, or at least let the court see what her therapist wrote, what the notes were.
Speaker 1: Objection because one of.
Speaker 3: The other huge issues that really stood out to both of us was the fact that she did not tell one person. She didn't document, she didn't write down, she didn't even tell the investigators and the prosecutors that she was sexually abused or raped by Ditty until June of twenty twenty four, as in a few months ago, exactly a year ago.
Speaker 2: I guess it would have been a year ago.
Speaker 1: And that was three or four months after Cassiaventoror filed her lawsuit. How do you the prosecutors are asking her for what was seven months twenty something.
Speaker 3: In her twenty eight interviews with investigators prosecutors, and she never once mentioned or brought up that she was a victim of rate.
Speaker 1: How does that say with the jury.
Speaker 2: That's tough.
Speaker 1: I don't that's tough. How that sits? But why and that it comes into the money grab situation. Now, okay, what was your motivation then if it wasn't before. She has a good kind of a good response to that in that it's one thing she didn't tell the prosecutors about it in the last year. But when she left Diddy's company in twenty seventeen, she wanted a severance package, and there was attorneys on both sides going back and forth. She initially asked for.
Speaker 2: Ten million dollars.
Speaker 1: Why but she asked for that money? But in that back and forth, wouldn't that have been the proper time to say, oh, yeah, by the way, your boss has been sexually assaulting me for years, give me my money, and I will go quietly yes.
Speaker 3: When you're asking for the money, and obviously when most people leave businesses where you're making I mean, she started up making fifty thousand dollars a year. What would make you think you should or could ask for ten million dollars unless something happened along the way that you felt like he might want to pay you hush money for and.
Speaker 1: Why not bring it up?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: That's the thing that's the jury is asking that. They are asking what we're asking she had two opportunities, long opportunities, and one that might have even benefited her at least on paper financially, let me say that. And she didn't bring it up then, so she asked her the ten million. We should say she ended up GETT four hundred hundred thousand, but her attorneys took half of that, so she didn't get much of anything when she left these company.
Speaker 3: This is a I think this is definitely a difficult a difficult witness for jurors to get their head around, because I would just say, just from anyone who's listening common sense, it's just hard to understand. It's not that it couldn't be true, and it's not that she's lying necessarily, but it certainly casts some doubt into her credibility. I think the defense did a decent job doing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we all keep saying, just need one right, just need one juror to hold out this young lady Miya. She has said at several points that this is something she planned to take to her grave. Now, the matter of humiliation, the shame, how she felt through what she described. If it's all true, I cannot imagine what that felt like, and so when I hear her say I was going to take this to my grave, I kind of to take her out a word and believe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that well, that makes sense.
Speaker 3: I mean, if that is where she was mentally with all of this, then it would make sense why she never brought it out, why she didn't use it to get more money, why she didn't say it to prosecutors, because she just didn't want to have to be that woman, that girl, that victim. I think you know, you can say he yelled at me, he threw things at me, but to acknowledge that you couldn't even say no when he was raping you, and that's what she testified to. That's a very embarrassing thing to have to admit. It's shameful, even though it isn't shameful, but I can understand how a woman would feel that way.
Speaker 2: And you know what, this was pretty interesting because.
Speaker 3: When prosecutors asked the judge to stop the cross examination because they said the defense attorneys were being humiliating, we're being harassing. Part of their reasoning was that they said, the world is watching this trial right now, and this could deter other crime victims from coming forward in other cases.
Speaker 2: They said, eyes are on this trial.
Speaker 3: Victims are watching how these victims are being treated by attorneys, and if we don't protect these people who are willing to come forward, it will deter other victims from coming forward, not just in this case, but in other cases.
Speaker 1: This is one now with me in particular. We have to figure out how to do this. Of course, the one all eyes were on, and Ember heard, and Johnny Depp, everybody was taking sides. But we have to get to a point where have we gotten to a point where women are believed? But now how do we treat them after we even believe them?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: So, for so long it seemed like nobody's being believed, and then there was a movement right, and then people were being believed, and it turns out, oh yeah, she's been saying that for years and it turned out to be right, And so believe women when they speak up. But now that argument we always make, will they get to be anonymous? And then the one who's accused has maybe his whole.
Speaker 3: Life is so once you're accused of something heinous like that, your life rarely goes back to the way it was.
Speaker 1: If ever, yes, So now we have to have the conversation about what if somebody is innocent, so whose name needs to be public? And all this back and forth. But let's get away from that conversation. This is not that day. I'm saying. We are treating accusers or the world is watching accusers get treated pretty shitty. Yeah, on the stand, what's your GPA? Right, it just seems like not much of a question, But we're trying to embarrass and humiliate the defense. Attorneys are supposed, say, supposed to do this for their client. They're supposed to be fighting their butts off to keep his life is on the line. But man, we're having public debates and social media debates about should she be believed? And she only was going for this, and it just it sucks how we're treating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, courtrooms end up being theater, and it really the jury is the audience, and the lawyers are trying to make them think one thing or another, and that's just unfortunately part of what happens. It's tough to watch, especially when real lives and real pain is on display. It's not an act, it isn't a script. It's their lives, and so it's a much there's the stakes or couldn't be higher.
Speaker 1: So she was able to wrap up yesterday again, defense attorneys admitted, and then she did have a redirect by the prosecution, and again she just ended up up there longer than anticipated. But she did get off the stand yesterday, and they were able to squeeze in one more witness, this one Robes. They call him a custodian at the Beverly Hilton, Beverly Hilton, and this person was up there kind of explaining to the jury when they see receipts hotel receipts for Diddy, what they're kind of looking at. And this one it wasn't just about how much you paid for the room. It was some of the feed damages and damages were well, I'm probably to be expected.
Speaker 2: Actually I thought this was less.
Speaker 3: Than what I was anticipating, if I'm being fully honest here, I thought it might be more. But just this is one room, one time, a three hundred dollars charge for drapes that were soiled beyond what is normal.
Speaker 2: That was the annotation.
Speaker 3: Another receipt for a five hundred dollars charge for once again oil damage. There was a fee for going out to get candles for Ditty Why would they go out and buy candles when they know in all of the other messages they talked about excessive candle wax. You know how hard it is to get candle wax off things. Anybody who's had to clean a house with candle wax, it is very difficult.
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think of hotels. There are no candles in hotels.
Speaker 2: They're dangerous to have candles.
Speaker 3: You're not supposed to be lighting candles in hotels for fire concerns.
Speaker 1: That very good reason.
Speaker 3: I guess it's ditty, So I guess he gets to have candles and they get to clean up the wax afterwards.
Speaker 1: Well they talked about is pro they had a profile that had it would have the celebrities name and an alias next to it, so they knew who it was and knew what was happening, knew what to expect anytime he was showing up. I did want to mention the other thing robe you talked about at the top here the disruptions that were in the actual courtroom, but there have been disruptions in the overflow room. I don't know if we've explained this enough that yes, you have certain number of people who are sitting in the courtroom watching. But we also have at the courthouse an overflow room where reporters and members of the public, many of them supporters of Diddy, have been watching on closed circuit television. The rule robes is that they're supposed to be just as quiet as they are in the actual courtroom that we're hearing. That ain't the case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, apparently it's not the case.
Speaker 3: I have been in one overflow room in my time as a reporter covering a case, and it was also fairly rowdy, to say the least, because what happens is you start getting comfortable, you start shouting at the television like you would watching a reality TV show about what you think they should say next, or reacting to what they did or said.
Speaker 2: And so that's what's happening.
Speaker 3: Apparently, Yes, you're actually having people almost like with popcorn in their hands, watching and reacting and being loud about it.
Speaker 1: Yes, they referred to it as a watch party. It feels like a watch party, like you're watching. It's kind of incredible. But no one has stopped them, No one has come in and said shush. So that is happening. But yes, they say a lot of Diddy supporters have been in those rooms and have been very vocal and what they want the defense attorneys to ask next in the line of questions, Oh.
Speaker 3: My goodness, Well I might read that report about what's going on in the watch party rooms, slash the overflow rooms.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, on the stand today this morning, up first, and this guy right is testifying under immunity. I believe this is the the was it the bribe for the video? The hotel security guy, Eddie Garcia, he's going to be up there, but he is testifying under immunity, so he's had to be compelled, yes, to testify.
Speaker 3: He took he actually took that oath, yes, before the jurors came in. And yes, he worked security at the Intercontinental Hotel. That is the hotel where again that video was taken where we all saw that terrible video of Ditty kicking and beating eventor a fine right as she was trying to leave a freak off, is what we've been told that was happening. So he is on the stand right now and he is doing he's being directly questioned by prosecutors and he'll get across examination as well, and will of course be following all of that and the rest of the day's events inside that Manhattan courtroom, but for now, thank you for listening. I'm Amy Robot along with my partner TJ.
Speaker 1: Home.
Speaker 2: We hope you have a wonderful day. Home Home, you are my home. Ome dj.
Speaker 1: I object
Speaker 3: Soon