Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the Overland Journal podcast. I'm your host Scott Brady and my co host Matt. Scott is not with us today because it's his birthday, So happy birthday, Matt. Thanks for being such an awesome co host and friend. You have made such a difference in this podcast. So thanks for being you, and happy birthday.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: And I have a good friend and a wonderful guest today, Dave Sosa. Dave has been literally my neighbor next door runs a company called turn Overland and they bring in windows and doors and other accessories for vans and campers, et cetera. I really look at Dave as a polymath. He's really one of the few that I have met in my life that has managed to create mastery in so many different levels of his life. And as we're going to talk about today, that has really come from his experiences, and that's going to be kind of a thread that we're going to have through this conversation.
Speaker 2: So David, thank you so much for being on the podcast.
Speaker 3: God, it is really an honor to be here. I'll tell you, I've been a fan of the podcast since the very first episode, so I never thought that I would be sitting here in this seat, but it really is an honor.
Speaker 2: To be You're so happy. Yeah, you're so welcome.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I just so appreciate you being on the podcast.
Speaker 1: And we were just talking right before we started recording about what are you drinking today?
Speaker 3: I'm drinking Egyptian licorice tea. This is actually given to me as a gift. I like lyric teese. Oh nice, this is really good stuff. He keeps my throat clear. Oh okay, now that makes sense and my voice clear. Because you also seem to enjoy coffee too, so maybe you have your coffee, and you have your coffee in the morning and.
Speaker 2: They moved to teas after that.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what.
Speaker 2: Oh that's smart.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: When I first started the business, Jeremy Edgar was one of my first employees and he had grown up. Part of his youth was in Argentina, so he drank mate tea every day and he wouldn't drink coffee. He would walk around with this little bowl with a and they called it a bombijia, which is the straw, and he'd be walking around drinking his mate tea for most of the day. And he and what he liked about it was he never really had that kind of caffeine crash. So, yeah, that's smart. And so many travelers tend to drink tea over coffee they've maybe learned in the long hauls.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, and it's also easier because they don't have the cleanup and so forth. Yeah, that's true. Tea bag.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's so tre it's easier to clean up. That makes that makes a lot of sense. We're going to take a brief break and we will be right back. This week's episode is supported in part by Icamper to make innovative hardshell and soft sided roof tents that are designed to survive long term overland use. Their revolutionary X cover won the Overland Journal Editor's Choice Award, eliminating the bulky PBC cover and also allowing for the fitment of crossbars for carrying bikes and kayaks. Their Skycamp Mini is another award winning design that provides a hard shell tent in the footprint of a much smaller clamshell model. This is the perfect solution for smaller vehicles or on vehicles where rack space is dedicated to other systems. I Camper believes that the best times are those spent traveling discovering the world with those you love most. You can find out more about their quality tents at icamper dot com. Well, what I think it would be fun to make the listeners aware of some things that you have done, and one of the ones that many of the listeners will know of is the Top Truck Challenge, and maybe give us the background on that. I can't remember if you were in the first year or one of the very first years of the event, and so tell us what you drove and how that experience was for you.
Speaker 3: So I was in. I was in the very first event, which was really something. And what had happened was just to back up a little bit, I'd taken a trip around the US and a little Honda Civic, and I came back in nineteen eighty seven and I decided that I really wanted to do more of this, right, so I wanted to build a vehicle that was even more capable. So I started this in late nineteen eighty seven, and I finished the vehicle I think in nineteen ninety two or ninety three, so many years it took me to build this. But some friends of mine had taken a photograph of the t and they'd send it to Four Wheeler Magazine because they had heard that, you know, they were going to have this new event. They were looking for contestants and all this stuff. So this was unbeknownst to me. And there was something like there were three hundred and some applicants, I guess, and out of the three hundred and sun they chose ten that they wanted there and I was one of them. So I get this letter in the mail from Four Wheeler Magazine about something that I wasn't even sure what it was about. And in the beginning, I wasn't sure that I wanted to do it because it didn't seem like the right venue for me, you know. I mean this Four Wheeler Magazine was a magazine that I liked to read, and I was into four wheeling for sure. Yeah, but what I built really wasn't a four wheel drive vehicle in that sense. It was an expeditionary vehicle, is what I called it. And you would call it an overlanding vehicle. Now the word didn't exist.
Speaker 2: Then, certainly wasn't properly used yet, no exactly.
Speaker 3: So I thought, well, you know, this doesn't make a lot of sense. It's like taking a motor home to an autocross rate. What the hell am I going to do with that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So, but I did decide to go because I thought, you know, this is a chance for me to really test that aspect of the vehicle. And so it was an opportunity. And I had just gotten the vehicle running. I'd hardly had a chance to drive it, so I hadn't had a chance to shake it out, and I was just you know, I wasn't even used to driving it yet. You know that's a big deal. Yeah, being able to drive the vehicle, being really accustomed to.
Speaker 2: The vehicle is sure.
Speaker 3: So I took a vehicle that I was unaccustomed with, that had never been tested to a contest with some of the best in the country. Yeah, And so it was kind of a gutsy, maybe a stupid move, but I really felt good about that.
Speaker 1: So and you, as I recall, you won Best Engineered on that event, and that had to have felt really good because I would certainly, as one of your many talents, I would certainly describe you as an engineer, and I believe that that is what you started your professional career as. And you worked with Intel for many years. So how long did you work with Intel?
Speaker 3: I worked for Intel for fourteen years.
Speaker 2: Fourteen years, well, and I.
Speaker 3: Worked in the tech industry a total of about eighteen years. Okay, yeah, so a long time in the tech industry.
Speaker 1: And then when we were talking earlier, you mentioned that Intel was giving people sabbaticals and you took some time off. And what was some of the first things that started to change for you as a traveler from those maybe the early backpacking trips and that early sabbatical that you made. What were some of those lessons that you drew from those experiences.
Speaker 3: I think that I was really starting to question my life's direction by seven years into my profession, and I really started to see that the things that fed my soul I really wasn't getting from my work. And so the trip that I took at the seven year point was the chance for me to really kind of evaluate those things. I'd always been very comfortable in nature. I liked the outdoors. I love to travel, I love the sense of adventure. And even though I was very successful in what I did and it was very interesting and I was working with some of the most intelligent people possible, I just wasn't finding the satisfaction in sure. So Yeah, the trip around the country was a little over three months, a little over fourteen thousand miles. Else it's a lot of driving in three months of driving well, And it was in a little Honda Civic that I had actually set up for autocross racing because I've always liked vehicles, and I bought a Honda crx Si. Those are fun, and I had it set up for autocross racing and it was a blast. But that was the car that I took around the country, tiny hatchback, perfect and I just I lived out of the car. I didn't spend a single night in a hotel. I did spend a few nights with friends around the country that I knew, but other than that, I was in the car the whole time. Wow. And it was a very sparse existence. And it was some of the best time of my life and certainly one of the most transformational times in my life, because over the period of those months, I really, I really was able to nail down the things that were important to me in life. Yeah, none of them were material. Yeah, And so when I came back, I was pretty much committed to making changes and it took a long time, but I did make those changes and I incorporated them into my life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been fascinating to hear some of those other stories that came later. And it seems like that you've had these moments of time where you've either been able to be involved with a company like Intel, and then you go through this, through this journey maybe in the wilderness to a degree, right, Yeah, and then you come up with another idea that consumes your creative efforts, and then it seems like you come back into the wilderness again. And as I remember you mentioning that you spent quite some time in the wilderness of Wyoming, is that is such an interesting story. What brought you to decide to literally go solo off the grid completely into the middle of nowhere? And then what did you learn from that experience?
Speaker 3: So there again, and you're right about that. I have gone through these cycles, and that was, I guess the second major cycle that I went through. I'd done some engineering consulting, and I'd had a couple of businesses at that point, but I was really at a turning point in my life where again I was searching for meaning, if you will, and I decided that I needed to take a time out and I needed to do something really solitary. Yeah, a large extent. So I got involved with this rebuilt property care tape. And there are people out there that have these large tracks of remote land. They want somebody out there to kind of keep an eye on things. And these are jobs that nobody wants because they're hard, they're scary, they don't pay anything. I mean, it's you know, it's a miserable deal. So I got those jobs easily. Yeah, so as I'll take them.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the thing in Wyoming, there was a guy that owned a twenty one square mile ranch. There was an old homestead on it that was at the bottom of a valley. The homestead was built in I think eighteen ninety or eighteen ninety one. You know, none of the buildings were habitable at this point, but he wanted to start to do some restoration on him and I said I would work on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I lived out there for an entire summer. I moved in early May in the middle of a snowstorm. That was the beginning of it for me, and spent the whole summer out there.
Speaker 1: And did you find that, I mean maybe it's the combination of that. But what did the physical work do for you? Was that something that you enjoyed, and what did you learn from that? And then I would suspect that you probably had a lot of time for stillness and my personal thought and what you learn from that quiet time?
Speaker 3: Right, Well, it was a lot of physical work, for sure. I was pretty exhausted at the end of each day. And it was also the most solitude that I'd ever experienced in my life. I mean, even the times when I've done a lot of solo traveling and I've done a lot of backpacking solo, but they've been for a few days at a time, or a week, you know, maybe even up to two weeks. But we're talking about an entire summer without with hardly any human contact, and that was a much different thing. And you really you really get inside your own head in that time. You know, there's a period of time where you don't feel it so much. And then beyond that, you really you really have to learn to live with yourself, and you really have to understand yourself. You have to understand your fears and face them. You have to understand your anxieties and face them. So I think that it gave me confidence actually in myself. And it could have gone either way. I suppose I could have gone screaming into the night, you know. But I found that I could count on myself, and I found that I wasn't the worst company, and it gave me a chance to really sort through a lot of things that I was out there to do. And you know, by the way, where I was, there was no communication of any kind. There was no cell phone, there was no internet, there was no anything. And so not only was I without human contact, but I was without any sort of safety line. Yeah, so if a rattlesnake got me, or if an animal got me, or if I fell and broke a leg, it could be weeks before I was found, if I was ever found.
Speaker 1: Sure, Yeah, you may have just gone back into the environment in a.
Speaker 3: Way, right might have. I might have just gone back into the environment.
Speaker 2: That's interesting.
Speaker 1: When I first got out of the Air Force, I knew that I didn't want to move back to California where I grew up, and I moved onto my aunt and uncle's ranch, and it was a fifty six thousand acre ranch and there were people there, my aunt and uncle were there, and my wife at the time was there and everything else. But it was some of my best memories because you would wake up in the morning and you'd put a saddle on a horse and you would ride fence line and it was just it was actually a very beautiful existence. And I knew it was not what I wanted to do with my life, but to do that for a year and a half while I was going, all I was doing was working on the ranch and going to college, and that was I learned a lot about myself during that time.
Speaker 2: So I think it's good for it.
Speaker 1: And maybe that's what draws so many of us as overlanders to the outdoors, to the back country, is this idea of let's get remote, Let's get some stillness, even if it's with just the people that we love, but get some stillness, get some time in our heads, and figure out that we actually like our own company, and we build some confidence that we could then apply to life after that fact.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there's really I think there's really a couple of aspects of that. One is that you need to change the scenery because you need a change of reference frame for your life. You know, if you wake up every morning, you look out the same window, you see the same things, and after a while, you know, your brain just naturally doesn't see anything. Yeah. But if you wake up every morning and you look at it, and you look out a different window and you see something different than it forces you to assimilate things in a new way. It will bring things to you that you wouldn't have ordinarily learned. And then the stillness is the other part of this, and that is the assimilation of what you've learned. In other words, you learn a lesson and then you have to internalize it, and that comes through the stillness. Yeah. So travel allows us both of those. It allows us a new frame of reference, and it allows us the time and the luxury to assimilate those things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and oftentimes we don't.
Speaker 1: We're so bombarded with communications and entertainment and a distraction that we really don't have that time to be still and learn the lessons and realize that we've gained a lot of confidence as.
Speaker 2: Travelers or whatever else.
Speaker 1: Now, coming back a little bit to the top truck challenge, what were some of the things from that vehicle that you realized worked really well and you would want to incorporate into future projects, and then maybe what were some things that you realize that you wouldn't incorporate into future projects.
Speaker 3: Well, of course, even back then, I had a real appreciation of the value of keeping a vehicle light, keeping the center gravity low, and those sorts of things.
Speaker 2: And what was the vile that you had for that.
Speaker 3: Started out with a started out being a seventy three Ford f two fifty. But I mean from there, you know, it went down to a bare frame. The frame got severely modified. Parts came in from all over the place. I mean, it almost was a handmade vehicle by the time it was done. Wow. Only the only things I used off the original vehicle were I think the cab itself, the doors, and the frame. Wow. And that's about it. Wow. Everything else came from somewhere else. The motor came from somewhere else. The transmission, a lot of the suspension I designed and built myself, a lot of the chassis work I designed myself. A lot of engineering in that truck. Yeah, a lot of time, a lot of handwork. And the funny thing was they didn't have a lot of money at the time, so I built a lot of that using very crude tools. You know, I didn't have like a big machine shop and all this capability laser cutting, this and that. Everything hand cut and you know, stick welding, which I mean, it is amazing that I was able to put together what I did, but but I did so. Yeah, So I think that, you know, just the balance of everything, just the fact that it was a balanced vehicle sure in terms of the suspension, the engine and everything. That nothing overpowered anything else, right, And I think some of that came from I've done a lot of different automotive ventures. Like like I mentioned, I autocross raced and did some other types of racing. I raced motorcycles as well. I learned a lot from all my other automotive ventures and I incorporated those into my truck because I wanted my truck to handle well, I wanted to drive well. It needed to be a multipurpose type vehicle. Ultimately, I wanted it to be able to endure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, survive something like the top truck challenge.
Speaker 3: Right, exactly, right, because there were a number of challenges and they were, you know, they were very very difficult. A lot of the things were very difficult and certainly not suited for something that was specialized this mind. Here's the interesting thing about it. I completed every challenge except for one. There was only one challenge that I decided not to account and that was a really steep hill climb, and I was my carburetor really wasn't able to function on that steep of a hill. If it had been a little bit shorter hill, I would have made it. But it was a long hill, it was pretty technical and it was very steep. Sure, and I saw one vehicle nearly roll on it. It was a guy in a Unimog that got halfway up and couldn't make it. Yeah, he tried to get down and ended up sideways, and we started clear now I mean people run it because we thought that damn unimog was coming down. It was going to clear a wide path. But so after that, I decided, you know, it just wasn't risk. It wasn't worth resking my vehicle.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, something you'd work so hard to build, right.
Speaker 3: Exactly right. I wanted to live to fix that and go another day. And by the way, one of the first things I did when I got back was I ripped off that carburetor and I engineered a fuel injection system for it. Yeah, so that's one thing that I learned for sure mechanically. Yeah.
Speaker 2: In fact, that's funny.
Speaker 1: One of my first off road vehicles that I had was a nineteen fifty three M thirty eight A one jeep and it had a two eighty nine V eight swap in it, which is common for that vehicle, and I had carburetors on it in the beginning, and it just I was constantly climbs and getting stuck because of the I mean, I wasn't a very good driver either, but you know, I was learning so much, but the vehicle wasn't helping. And when I went to fuel injection on that, it just totally changed the way that I could operate operate the jeep. It really made a big difference. But it's funny how some carburetors, though, work great. I mean, I had a nineteen eighty four Toyota pickup that had a carburetor on it and it never gave me any trouble on climb. So I think it's probably has a lot to do with how the carburetor is designed, and probably the orientation of the fuel bowls and everything else like that. But plus it being a really small displacement for cylinder. It probably wasn't getting flooded as easily, but it worked fine on climbs, most climbs, most climbs. But right, yeah, well, that top Truck Challenge for me, was one of my first exposures to this kind of stuff. I remember reading all of those early four wheeler magazines and just being completely wide eyed and wanting to do the top truck Challenge and wanting to and ultimately I believe that that event lost its way because they were no longer street legal or they were very loose interpretations of being street legal vehicles, which I think stole so much of the charm of the event. And I even suspect that Rick Paiway, who was so involved with designing the event, I think he would have preferred to it have kept that spirit of those first couple events. I mean, maybe like the first four or five years. Once they were kind of a loose interpretation of a car, then you realize that you were no longer looking at individuals capabilities or individuals innovations.
Speaker 3: It was just it was a bunch of truggies, Yeah.
Speaker 1: A bunch of a bunch of two frame vehicles, which is too bad, but hopefully they consider doing something like that again. But keeping it back is a door slammer. All the safety systems have to be in place and certain limitations. Because that was such a neat and inspiring event for me, and it was that, paired with the Camel Trophy, that formed so many of my early inspirations towards you know, vehicle projects and vehicle performance and and all of that, and that ultimately led to my passion for travel.
Speaker 3: So it was a really grassroots thing and it was neat in fact. You know, in that very first edition there was me. There was a guy named Sonny Honeger. Yeah, who's been you know, active in the sport legend. Yeah, legend. He was in the very first one with a samurai right. No, No, he was. He he had a war wagon.
Speaker 2: Oh but didn't he end up becoming like a samurai guy.
Speaker 3: He was, Well, he was a samurai guy. And he also had a thing called a rock spider that he built with the very first really high articulation rock climbing. Sure. I mean he was a he was really a leader innovator, Yeah, very much an innovator. And I was an innovator. I mean a lot of the things that were on my truck actually showed up other places after that. Sure, But and then there was Rick Payway. He was one of the original competitors. Yeah, he wasn't with the magazine at that point. Oh, just a guy with a GPW with a four hundred and some cubic engineer.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, what a neat guy.
Speaker 3: Oh. Rick was so cool. And you know, one of the things about Rick is that jeep. He was almost like a cyborg with that jeep.
Speaker 2: He was one with the machine.
Speaker 3: He was one with the machine. Yeah, I mean he could absolutely handle that thing in any circumstance and he could control every aspect of that vehicle. Yeah, really fun to watch him drive that. Yeah, he's a he's such a such a character. I've always enjoyed getting a chance to travel with him when I do. But you know, I haven't spoken to him since the event. Yeah, I love to meet him again.
Speaker 1: And yeah, and I think he's back in I think he's back in Arizona now. Yeah, so maybe we'll find a way to get him up for lunch.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, do that absolutely, because I'd love to talk to hyeah time. That would be great.
Speaker 1: Speaking of innovation, you at some point in your journey, you started producing products for the archery industry. Talk a little bit about what you were making and what was different about it and what makes those bows still desirable today.
Speaker 3: Well, I had been involved in archery since the seventies, so it had been a long time ash of mine, but it was one that i'd kind of set aside because of life demands and so forth. I kind of hit a lull, a lull in my life, and I decided, well, you know, it's a chance for me to pick up archery again. So I went back to shooting my old bows, and I just realized there were a lot of shortcomings with them, and a lot of really a lot of the basics of what I needed weren't there. So I just went back and started redesigning these bows based on just the fundamentals of what makes an arrow fly. Yeah, you know, I just went back to the very most basic, essential, first principles of what makes an arrow fly out of a bow, and I designed a bow up from that, and that bow pretty much revolutionized that part of archery. It was a metal riser. It used it used the limbs off Olympic bows, which were already highly developed. So I had the best limbs in the world, and now I had the best riser in the world. And I put the two of them together and it was it was magic. And of course, you know, like anybody that upsets an industry like that, I had my detractors for sure. I had, you know, people that loved me and people that didn't. There's no question that it redirected the entire industry. Wow. And now there are lots of offerings around those lines. My bow still after all these years, the bow that I designed is still at the top of the epquact. A friend of mine won the senior men's World Championship IBO I think last year, maybe the year before with my bow.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it's still out there. There's still people shooting. It's very sowed after sure, a way more now than I ever sold it for. I wish I had a couple of dozen. Yeah. Yeah, what a neat thing.
Speaker 1: And a special thanks to one of this week's sponsors, Rumpel Blankets. Rumpell started literally in the back of a van. Their story is interesting. They were on a surf and ski trip through California and the founders of Rumpel were sleeping in a van several miles up a dirt road near a secret hot springs. It woke up the next morning and sub zero temperatures in a car that wouldn't start. They were outside of cell reception and confronted with the real possibility of a long walk into town. So instead they decided to bundle up in their sleeping bags and drink whiskey while they waited for someone else to show up. And that turned into hours, and the conversation extended on to the subject of bedding, and they came up with Rumpele blankets. Their most popular product is the original Puffy blanket. It is their flagship product and it's available in a one person, a two person, and a junior size.
Speaker 2: I have used the two person for many years. I keep it as part of my.
Speaker 1: Kit at lives in the vehicle just in case I run into a situation similar to what they did where I'm stranded and need some additional warmth and insulation. It's also really useful for around the campfire when you want that little bit of extra comfort. I'll also use it when sleeping in the vehicle, and then they are just the right size or a roof tent as well, so these are really high quality blankets that are weather resistant, They're made from recycled materials, they're washable, and they have very durable fabrics and construction, which makes them ideal for overland travel. Check out rumplex blanket. And when you talk about your travels, I noticed that you have this theme of kind of simplicity and minimalism and kind of bringing it back again to overlanding, you have recently been designing and manufacturing your interpretation of what a fully enclosed expedition camper should be. I think it would be good to talk about that as a subject with the listeners, because one thing that I have found in this industry is that people get away from, or they don't prioritize the things in campers that are actually the most essential attributes of campers, and they focus a lot on the things that are not essential or if they stop working, isn't the end of the world. So, for example, one of the things that I see oftentimes done poorly is either the insult of properties of the camper or the weather protection of the camper. You and I were talking earlier today about Maslov's hierarchy of needs, and we somehow are more interested in the LCD placement of the TV than we are in the r value of the camper, or where the water lines run in the camper, those are water lines, or if they're even our water lines, which the absence of water lines is actually better than water lines, I think for those that are listening, when you look to buy a camper, start off with what is the most What is the first principle of what this thing should do, which is protect you from the weather. It should be a retreat from the storm. Now, that can be easily determined by where you like to travel. If your travel is ninety nine percent in the southwest in Baja, then maybe that camper can have some fabric sides to it. And it's not a primary consideration, but if your plan is to travel from from Prudho Bay down to Ushwaya in any weather, then you're going to want to minimize those mechanical moving components and those wear points. Just the number of fabric sided campers that I've seen fail just due to high vibration frequency on corrugations. Those wear points, they show up very quickly. So from your perspective, having traveled so much and built your own campers and everything else like that, what do you see as being those first principles and those core maybe three to five elements that people need to look for in a camper before they even consider if it has a TV or not.
Speaker 3: So I think the things that are most important for me are I think number one, the ability to sleep well. Yeah, because sleep is a fundamental of life, and you start losing sleep, things are going to go downhill, going to go downhill for you very quickly. So you have to be comfortable enough to sleep. You need protection from the most severe weather for sure, and you need a way to prepare food inside in the event that the weather doesn't allow you to do it outside. And after that, the list starts getting a lot thinner, you know, and it's just really basic stuff. You need to carry a little bit of water, you need to have a way to filter it. But that's really kind of it for me. Yeah, Then everything after that is luxury. I mean, the things up to that point are things that you really need. Everything after that I think is a luxury.
Speaker 1: And you mentioned that that after those basal components are satisfied, it actually becomes more of an emotional decision. And I think that and I can understand why because in the times that I've looked at campers and trailers and things like that, I have found myself being very emotional about things like, Oh, it's got this really comfortable shower, and it's got this you know, it'll have one hundred gallons of hot water on board or whatever, and you really start to gravitate towards those luxuries, which I would not suggest for a moment that those are things that you shouldn't consider. It's just understanding that after those core attributes of lightness, because payload is always a consideration, and even if you have a one ton truck with a five thousand pound payload, any pound that you add will degrade the performance of the vehicle. So even if it has a payload, use a small percentage of it so that you gain back performance in the way that the vehicle works off highway, and how efficient it is economy that you get it's going to cost you less to ship the thing, all of that is going to be a factor in it. So I think it's that durability of the structure, its ability to protect you from weather, and the lightness of the camper which directly correlates to performance and payload, particularly on a vehicle like a Tacoma. That is something I think that's worth us talking about a little bit, because your original impetus for this camper was how do I build a camper for myself that will work within the very limited payload capacity of a Tacoma. So talk a little bit about how you achieved that in the ways that you can share with the public.
Speaker 2: But what were some of the core.
Speaker 1: Ways that you achieved fully enclosed camper that fits within the payload of a Tacoma.
Speaker 3: Well, I think one of the things that you need to be able to do anytime you tackle a project like this is due not let yourself get pulled down the road already traveled. You need to back up. You need to back all the way up to the beginning, and you need to ask the questions that we're just talking about, and then you need to look around and see what the best materials are that can achieve these And one of the things that I realized is that there were materials out there. You know, the materials had gone way ahead of the technology in this area. A lot of the technology in this area was really a set up back in the sixties and hasn't really changed much. So I looked at entirely new ways of constructing this thing. I found some materials, talked to a lot of experts. A lot of experts told me I could never do this. Yeah, I talked to some three M engineers and so forth. They said, well, it's a great material, but you can't work with it, you can't bond, and you can't do this, you can't do that. Well I figured out how to do all that, and we figured out how to put together a shell using thermoplastic honeycomb. It's a fiber reinforced material. It's extremely lightweight, it's very thermally efficient, it's very sound efficient, it's incredibly durable. I mean, you can beat on this stuff with a ball peen hammer and not if I can work on it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I remember when you first got one of the small section of tests. Yeah, panel, you said, Scott, come over here, and you handed me I think the biggest crescent wrench you had, I think is what it was, and you just set this whale on this sale.
Speaker 2: We didn't even I mean.
Speaker 1: We left like the smallest cosmetic cosmetic mark. It was nothing structural, nothing structure, and I was hitting it as hard as I could.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and you know, there's nobody else you can take a ball being hammer to just walk around Expo and start hitting people's hammer campers with hammer and see what happened. It's not going to work out so well. But our camper can you know, except for cosmetically, you're not going to see any damage from that kind of that kind of very strong material, and.
Speaker 1: That translates directly to rush and trees and you know, trail impacts and things like that.
Speaker 3: All kinds of deflections. The other thing about it is that the methodology that we developed for joining the panels allows for flexible joints. The joints are actually designed to be flexible, as I was opposed to be rigid, and so they can flex almost indefinitely without failing. Whereas if you try to build a ridgid joint, no matter how rig you make it, it's eventually going to fail due to fatigue. So fatigue is the killer. But if you design something to move, then it's not it's not suffering that same kind sure, and that's what we done.
Speaker 1: And it seems like you're those long joints being able to flex and move, but you still have the strength of triangulation that's come from the angles that you've incorporated into the camper.
Speaker 2: And how much without adding a lot.
Speaker 1: Of accessories, I guess at its basic weight, how much does your Tacoma camper way excluding the flatbed, just the camper camper.
Speaker 3: Alone with everything in, it's going to weigh about four hundred pounds. But I've removed the bed in order to put it on because it's a flatbed and everything, and it's only added about two hundred and fifty pounds to the stock Tacoma weight, which is about the weight of a fiberglass canopy. Yeah. Right, So for the weight of a camper shell, I have a camper I can stand up in, and I can sleep in, I can cook in, yeah, and I can carry a certain amount of gear. So yeah, to me, it's a real luxury. And it's got a very low center of gravity. The entire roof of the camper can be lifted on fingertips. Four people can lift it on a fingertip. Yeah, So that's how light it is, so almost no weight high up. Even though it may look large, it looks tall, there's no way on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just air volumes, air volume, right, Yeah, Yeah, just I'm going to repeat that one more time for those that are listening. So the net increase to the weight of the Tacoma after your camper and flatbed is only two hundred and fifty pounds. That's amazing, and I think that that needs to be what camper manufacturers start to look at more seriously. Is you can't put a twelve hundred pound camper on the back of a Tacoma and expect it to work because you're at one hundred percent of the payload capacity before you even add water or a person or your dog or hair brush, not in our case, but you know, or whatever, hair, hair dryer or whatever, you know, Before you add anything to it, you've already consumed one hundred percent of the available payload of the vehicle. So the fact that there are campers like yours, and there are other manufacturers that are starting to make lighter campers as well, which is so encouraging. But the fact that you can have a net increase over the stock vehicle of over two hundred and fifty pounds and have a bed and a place to stay and in a place to cook and completely out of the elements, that's a new standard for the industry, and it's so encouraging to see. Another thing that I really liked about your camper is that you decided not to incorporate a whole bunch of complex systems. If you want to cook inside the camper, bring in a stove and cook inside the camper.
Speaker 2: But most of the.
Speaker 1: Time people cook outside, right because you don't want your camper to smell like salmon. You want, you know, the outdoors to smell like salmon, or you want to cook over a fire, or you want to you know, and certainly using a jet boil on the countertop to make coffee in the morning is an easy thing. So I actually think not incorporating a stove is smart.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well for my personal camper, I think people would be surprised at how smart it is because the camper, to me, is only a place to take refuge to sleep. If I can be in the outdoors, I'm going to be in the outdoors. That's where I'm going to make my coffee, is where I'm going to cook my breakfast, That's where I'm going to do everything. So I don't have a lot of built in stuff, but you know, there is the option to build those things into the shell if you're sure you're still going to end up with a lighter camper. You know, the less you can do with the more your mindset is a minimalist philosophy, then the more you're going to benefit from all this. And you know, the benefit for me is I have a tacoma that I could drive one hundred miles an hour, you know, down a washboard road with be able to control it. And you know, I would never try to do that with one thousand pound camper on my back and insane as something god sideways, I'd be rolling. So this thing is, you know, it's a phenomenal, a phenomenally good handling vehicle. As a result of it, capable.
Speaker 1: View and the use of the of the flatbed gains so much interior volume because you're not having that lost space with the wheel wells and the width of the bed construction and you're gaining all of that back in interior space. So it's and the way that you've designed the flatbed is also very clever with how it hinges and at where it has those triangulated load points and everything else like that.
Speaker 2: It's very very very clever.
Speaker 1: You know, it's good to see that it's good to see campers like yours coming to market. It looks like Scout Campers got you know, very simple systems in it as well, which keeps the weight much lower for tacomas and things like that. So and it looks like a lot of other manufacturers are taking note of the fact that you can't in good conscience sell a camper that is exactly equal to the payload of the vehicle, because who's going to drive it? You know, like as soon as you put a human in there, your way over payloads.
Speaker 3: So there's so many tacomas out there that are over payload.
Speaker 2: They really are.
Speaker 3: And you know, it's a testament to the durability of the tacoma.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're amazing vehicles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but still, you know, it's I think of it, and I've heard this analogy of thinking of your vehicle as a as an animal or something, you know, and having some compassion for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, mechanical sympathy, right, mechanical sympathy. Yeah, that's that's a good way of looking at it.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't overload a horse and expect it to carry all this craft for me, you know, If I had to load a horse up I'd get off and walk myself. Yeah, I think having some sympathy and just having some respect for the fact that this thing is so well engineered that it's it's incredibly reliable. These vehicles that we have today are so incredibly reliable that we become complacent about it. Yeah, but we shouldn't because they are still mechanical things that they can still fail.
Speaker 1: Well, it's something as simple as the fact that the back twenty percent of the Tacoma frame is unboxed. As you put more and more weight after the rear axle, it puts an enormous amount of leverage on that frame member, and so much so that there are aftermarket kits that you can weld on to strengthen the frame. Even once you start to deal with articulation loads and leverage imparted on the rear frame members. It's a really good idea to strengthen the hangarsar for the rear shackles, and so being very mindful about the fact if you keep the Tacoma light, it will last you a quarter million miles all day long. When we get it up. I think about my own Tacoma project. My first big project that I did was on a four door Tacoma two thousand and four. I loaded it up, and I'll admit it on this podcast. It was over seven pounds and that was totally wrong. I added so many things that it didn't need. I didn't think about the fact that it is. It is a light duty truck that needs to be treated kind of like a backpack, not a freightliner. You know, it needs to be treated like a backpack. And if I had built that truck differently, I know that I would have enjoyed it more and it would have performed better. But it's amazing the things that I had to do to the vehicle just to make it work. How low I had to go with the axle gearing to get it to move around, the changes I had to make to the brakes, the changes I had to make to the frame, and all of those things could have been avoided if I had just kept it much lighter and it was still a vehicle with a roof tent. It's not like it like I had a camper on there. I just added too much jump. Yeah, it didn't fundamentally change your experience.
Speaker 2: No, it didn't.
Speaker 1: It could have been so easy just to have a ground tent and I call it a day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean shared a little story with you back from my backpacking days, you know. But started out with my backpacking probably around sixty sixty pounds something like that, yeah, which you know, a lot of people start out here and then you get lighter and lighter lighter as you go. Well, I finally got down to where I was below thirty pounds for a and I eventually got down below twenty pounds for a five day pack. But at one point I bought this little hammock and I thought, man, you know, what a great thing it is going to be to have this hammock at the end of the day. I had these, you know, visions in my head of swinging from a hammock. Sure a hard day, right, And I started carrying this thing around with me along with other stuff, you know, and I finally came to the realization that the real luxury wasn't having that hammock at the end of the day. The real luxury was not having to carry it forty miles. That was the real luxury. Now. I mean I could sit on the log, I could get in the grass, you know, I mean I could do all those kinds of things and I didn't have to carry them there. Yeah, and so those were the kinds of mental processes that I went through that I carry over into my vehicle philosophy as well. You know that sometimes the greatest luxury is the thing you don't carry. You don't have to worry about being stolen.
Speaker 2: Sure, you don't have.
Speaker 3: To maintain all of those kinds of things.
Speaker 1: So, talking about your current Tacoma project, you've had since the vehicle was almost new. How long have you had your Tacoma ten plus years?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I bought it with thirty thousand miles on it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: What are some of the things that you have done to that truck that you most appreciate that the changes that you made made the best difference for the vehicle for your kind of travel.
Speaker 3: I think, I think, and this is kind of true of any vehicle, but I think the tires and the suspension were the best thing. And then after that I did some chassis work. You know, I've done extensive work on that truck. Yeah, it's hardly recognizable at this point, but yeah, you know, the tires and suspension were really the biggest thing.
Speaker 2: And what is your current favorite tire for the vehicle.
Speaker 3: I prefer a two fifty five eighty five sixteen, but I also like the two thirty five eighty five sixteen. I like skinny tires, and I don't like large tires because the mechanical loads that they put on the vehicle are just way too great. I think one thing that you know where people go wrong with tires is that they don't really consider the weight of the tire. And when you go to a much larger you're going to get a heavier tire. But even with smaller tires, there there's a lot of a lot of difference between the weight and tire. Yeah, And what I typically try to tell people is that if you add if you had a pound to your tire weight, it's like adding ten pounds to twelve pounds to your payload.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So like within the two fifty five eighty five sixteen, you can there's like a forty to fifty pound range over four tires depending on manufacture. Right, So that's four hundred and five that's four hundred and five hundred pounds of payload essentially that you're putting on the truck. If you look at it in terms of breaking acceleration and even things like the way the suspension.
Speaker 2: Oh, I see what you're saying.
Speaker 1: So the reciprocating because it's reciprocating mass, it has much more leverage on the system than some kind of a static load or even dynamic that's affixed to the vehicle.
Speaker 3: Right, it's all dynamic loads. It's either rotating mass or it's reciprocating.
Speaker 2: Yes, and in this case it's both.
Speaker 3: It's both.
Speaker 1: So you're trying to accelerate it, stop it, and control it. Right, So you're right having paying attention to the tires. And that's a good point if you have a lightweight vehicle, like, don't put an E rated tire on your Samurai because it's going to be hard to get it down to a low enough pressure to deform properly. And then you're hauling around a bunch of unnecessary weight, right that the vehicle just doesn't under any conditions need right, you know, because it's so lightweight to begin with. Yeah, that's a really good point and something that's important for people to remember. What are some of the things that you've done on your suspension that you feel made the biggest difference on your tacoma.
Speaker 3: You actually alluded to it earlier, but the rear frame on the Tacoma's is pretty flexible, and so I've done a lot of chassis work back there, and I also have done some cross chassis work to strengthen the spring hangers in the rear because the way they're designed on a Tacoma, the spring hangers will deflect under load. So I have a system in there that keeps the spring hangers from deflecting. Okay, well, everything stays in alignment. But everything that I've done is very careful not to stiffen the frame in terms of this ladder type flexibility, because that's actually part of the suspension. And if you make if you do away with all that ladder type flexibility, then you're going to end up with a with just a board. You know, you're not going to have You're not going to have any kind of articulation vehicle because the actual suspension, the actual articulation from the suspension is not that much. Yeah, but I mean I can roll over an eighteen inch rock without deflecting anything else. Yeah, so you know, I still have all that flexibility in there.
Speaker 1: Well, that's an interesting point. And if we strengthen members of the frame that were designed by Toyota engineers to flex or to rotate, et cetera. Then all of that leverage is going to be put somewhere else, and maybe it'll be at a frame crack. And I actually experienced that in Greenland with the high Lux which Highlux frame is boxed all the way to the back, and these had been reinforced because they suspensions were changed from lease spring to coil spring to accommodate the forty four inch tall tires. And we actually had a frame failure on a Highlux well after it went into a crevass.
Speaker 2: But that's another story.
Speaker 1: But yeah, we actually had a frame failure because of the fact that it had been so heavily reinforced in one area that it actually broke at the area that it was most lightly reinforced. So yeah, you're right, it's just going to move those leverage points someplace else, those failure modes to some other place. Whereas a stock to coma frame is flexible enough where it'll take those inputs and it'll move and flex much like a spring would, and you want to allow it to continue to do that. Whereas if you get over payload, then you have to try to fix that because then you get this huge beaming effect and all these other changes and characteristics. So yeah, you're right keeping it light. Then you don't have to do too much on that because I remember when I looked at your what you did in the back of the frame. You you actually retained the ability for the frame to flex, right because of those joints that you incorporated.
Speaker 3: That's correct, Yeah, yeah, And I want to stress to you that a lot of these types of changes are serious engineering challenges, yeah, and they're not necessary intuitive to the average garage type modifier. So if you're going to make these modifications, be very careful, yeah, because like you said, you know, you stiffen one thing up, you're going to move the stress to somewhere else. There's that gone, and is that going to be you know, potentially hazardous or sure? Everything has a consequence, right, everything has a consequence. Yeah, And it's so easy to forget that. You know, we every time we change something on the vehicle, we do make it oftentimes less reliable. There are very rare occasions where especially in a Toyota, there are very rare occasions, and making a modifications to those vehicles make them more reliable. Like one that comes to mind is on the eight series there's a small heater hose at the backside of the block, and if you upgrade that to a much better quality heater hose, then you can reduce a failure mode. But there are very few of those kind of modifications. So with every time we change the vehicle, we're affecting those engineered systems and those redundancies and those offers that the engineers from Toyota incorporate that make them so reliable. So just being mindful of let's do less of that and keep it as close as stock as we can, or or only change the things that we really really need right to have changed for sure. And there again, if we keep things light, then the need to do those things becomes minimal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. Yeah, you really don't have to make that many changes. It all works together, you know. It's just like, you know, getting back to backpacking.
Speaker 3: You know, I carried an Arctics pack for a long time, fantastic pack, you know, carry huge amounts of weight in that thing. But I realized that, you know, when I got my pack down to nineteen pounds, I was carrying it around in a twelve pound pack. Yeah, and I didn't need a twelve pound pack anymore, right down to a three pound pack. Yeah. Again, you know, if you can, if you can cut down to what you have to take, then then the means to carry it becomes far easier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, expense is lower, fuel economy is better, driving experience is better.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 1: Along those lessons learned, I do like to ask this of our guests, what are some of your favorite books and all of your readings and that time that you were able to spend alone, you know, in Wyoming and maybe on a Sunday and reading a good book. What are some of your faie books that you've read in your in your life.
Speaker 3: That's a really tough question to answer because I read a lot of books. I read all the classics, and I've read almost everything from people like Hemyway, Stein, Steinbeck or well, all of these people. Abby. I really enjoyed Abby. I read everything they've written, and I've read a lot of other authors. I think if I had to pick one book, and this is just a disservice to everybody else, I mean, but it would maybe be Victor Frankel's Man Search for the Little Book, little paperback book. And if people haven't read that they should take the time to read it because it's it's it's a quick read, and it's pretty profound in a lot of ways.
Speaker 1: For those that are listening. I read that book recently and it talks about this gentleman's experience in the Nazi concentration camps, and it by the time you get finished with his story, it was it was profound, and it was just extremely humbling, and it's a reminder of how life can change so quickly. And also it shows the possibility of the human spirit. What he endured and how he came out of the other side of it with his own humility and his own awareness around life and others. Yeah, it's a really powerful book. It's something that people should take the time to read. And I've heard that recommended by others as well.
Speaker 2: I would I would definitely second that recommendation for sure.
Speaker 3: And you know, he makes the point in there that some of the strongest individuals were the first to go. Yeah, it's the people that are the most.
Speaker 1: Flexible, Yeah, adaptable, adaptable, not the strongest necessary. Yeah, no, that is so true. Yeah, the ones that I remember him saying that the ones that were sure they'd be out by Christmas or sure they'd be out by by whatever holiday. Those were usually the ones that would give up the quickest. Yeah, and I can't even imagine. I don't apply any experience towards those thoughts that I just shared. It's just what I gleaned from him. His insights into that experience is very, very profound. Sure, is there any others that come to mind?
Speaker 3: Well, if you want to read an author that's still alive, one that I read recently is Ryan Holiday's Silence is the Key.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Stillness is the key.
Speaker 3: Stillness is the key. Yeah, that's an easy read as well, great read. Yeah, but it's it's it's a very good read, and I think it has a lot of lessons for modern society. Yeah, and I think a lot of people are really suffering now. I mean, you know, you and I grew up in a time before so much noise. Yeah, you know, and now there's this constant distractions social media and everything else. You know, But at least we have we have our roots in a time when there wasn't that, so we're a little maybe a little better at coping with it. But where a lot of people it's overwhelming. Yeah, and they don't even know it. They know you realize the negative effects that it's having on them. But this book makes you think about that, and you know, maybe it'll change your habits a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a beautifully curated piece from the Stoics, and it's probably the book that I've gifted more than anything else.
Speaker 2: Is that book.
Speaker 1: So that's another wonderful recommendation. And yet, and I think it very much applies to travel. Yeah, we have such short periods of time to have these experiences. If we can find a way to get into the right mindset of just being open to those experiences sooner where we can uncouple from our devices and our day to day and our and our patterns and everything else and become the traveler. The more quickly we can do that and be open to those changes, the more profound our trips, I think are. So I really see that as being another great volume for people to read for sure.
Speaker 3: Well, and it really gets to the point that, you know, travel at its essence is in our head. We think about it as an external thing, but it really is an internal thing.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Travel is a chance for us to frame our life and ourselves and the world in a way that we haven't seen it and to internalize that. You know, the travel is I think a necessary part of it, because when we're wrapped up in our daily, mundane lives, it's very difficult to see it beyond that, and so when you're out there, you're able to see beyond it. But ultimately, the travel that happens, the journey that you're on, is in your head, and so you can have it fifty minutes from your house, so you can have it fifty thousand miles away. Yeah. Sure, I know the little story I'll share with you if you feel allowed. Yeah, for sure. Yeah, I love it. I'd love to experiment with these kinds of things with myself mentally. So I've done a lot of unusual things. But one thing that I decided to do. I was traveling through Moab many years ago and I was in a very remote area, was entirely alone. I didn't even have my dogs with me on this trip. I decided that I needed to spend one whole day, just one day of my life, without doing anything. And this is difficult for me. You know, I'm a you know, you're a busy guy. Yeah, a busy guy. I don't sit still. So I decided that I wanted to watch the sunrise and I wanted to watch the sunset, and I wanted to do nothing in between other than just be aware of everything that life brought to me. I didn't want to make anything happen at all. I made up a little bit of food, put it in a bag, got some water, got a little sitting pad, and I found a place up on a bluff with an extraordinary view around me. It's almost three hundred and six degrees off this little sand dome. You know, you just find a lot of those out Yeah. But I climbed up there in the dark, sat down, waited for the sun to rise, and I sat there all day long, except to get up to use the bathroom. Better than that, I didn't move. I tried not to think about anything. I tried to give my surroundings my one hundred percent attention. So I wanted to be aware at every moment of the temperature, the position of the sun, the sounds around me, the animals around me. And at first I thought, you know, about thirty minutes into this, I thought, I am never going to make it, because it's just not going to work. And then a couple hours in, I started getting into the rhythm of it, you know, and by three or four o'clock the hours were just flying by. Before you know what, the sun was on the horizon. I sat there the whole day and that was the most you know. It really opened my eyes to the fact that, you know, we can travel thousands of miles to have these experiences, or we can just sit still and pay attention. You know, you can get to the same place in your mind, but it really has to be through your attention, not necessarily your location, your location or your itinerary. Sure, I gets so hung up on that I want to see this, I want to see that. I want to stop here, I want to go there, you know, and they think the more they cram in, the more they're going to experience, when in fact they would experience more just sitting. I would venture to say that I experienced more of Moab in that one day than most people do staying there in a week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, because you were open to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I do an almost daily kind of quiet time like that, where it's meditative in my own way. I mean, I'm really bad at it, but if I make it to fifteen minutes. Well, I started at five and I got to ten after about six months, and now I'm at about fifteen minutes. And it's amazing if you don't have any of those other inputs. I don't let myself look at my phone. It's all shut off and my monkey mind is going in a thousand different directions. But I think that has been really good for me because it makes me realize my mind is constantly going in a thousand different directions. And now after I've been doing it for over a year, maybe I'm only going in seven hundred and fifty different directions, or some days I might get to five hundred different directions. But I can notice the change. I can notice that I'm more productive during the day. It's helped me work through things that would occupy my mind, regrets or whatever. So yeah, I think it's really powerful. So for you to do an entire day, that's amazing. That is really cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, and now it's something I want to do again. I want to start doing more of those things. Yeah, I've kind of been you know, I go through these cycles, like you say, I've been wrapped up in my business, and you know how it is with a business, Yeah, it really intrudes in your time. I do meditate every morning, just as you do. I get up at four four thirty, so I have a long day.
Speaker 1: But that is totally uncivilized. Man, I'm kidding. Some people are early risers. I am not an early riser.
Speaker 3: So it's you know, it's brutal. I mean, you know, when I meet people for breakfast, they say, well, when do you want to meet And I said, no, no, no, no, you need to pick when we meet for breakfast. I will be unreasonable.
Speaker 1: You're halfway through your day by the time you meet me for redfast, ready for lunch.
Speaker 3: By the time you want to meet. Yeah, but I mean, I know it's unreasonable. I do get up early partly so that I have the time to do this, because it has helped to center me for the day. Yeah, that's so good. And you know, this process of being aware of the fact that your monkey mind is going crazy and then redirecting that back that builds neural pathways.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, and it seems like it does.
Speaker 3: It does. Yeah, And so the more you practice it, the more those pathways become ingrained. Yeah, and it becomes a tool that you can use at any moment to bring yourself back from that insanity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, from the brink, right, Yeah, that's good. That leads me kind of to one of the things that I really wanted to ask you, because I think you'll have so many insights for the listeners. Is if you were to recommend or just have some suggestions or some thoughts, even for someone that was coming new into travel, new into overlanding, what would you share with them? What would be your top three to five piece of advice or suggestions that you would give to someone new to travel.
Speaker 3: Just to give a little perspective, I guess you know. My very first experiences in this were in a nineteen sixty five Oldsmobile Delta eighty eight, big giant car that I bought for three hundred dollars. But I was so glad to have it. You know, I was seventeen years old, and I immediately started driving at places. You know, I did a lot of traveling around southern Arizona, and I did a lot of traveling in the back country with it, which is ridiculous. I mean, it's got like six inches of ground clan like a five degree departure. So I drugged that thing through sand washes and everything you could imagine. But the point is I didn't have tools. You know, I didn't have a winch. You know, it turns out nobody made a winnch bumper for an old zage, and you know, I didn't know when I bought it. But no, I didn't have any of this stuff, right, And it really was about it really was about overcoming my own gremlins in my head. You know, the fears of traveling, the fears of breaking down. And back then there were no cell phones. So if you broke if you drove fifteen twenty miles back into the desert, broke down, you were walking fifteen or twenty miles out that year. That's the way it worked. That's the way it worked. Yeah. So there were no weather options back then. But you know, these days, there's not a lot to be afraid of. Yeah, So I would say not to focus so much on the physical things past the things that we talked about. You do want to be You want to have some shelter for the weather. You want to be comfortable so you can sleep, and those sorts of things you wouldn't be able to fix. You want to have water, and you want to be able to fix food, eat, but beyond that, you don't really need a lot. Yeah, So work on the aspects of your character that would allow you to travel farther and more confidently. Yeah, you know, things like security, confidence, competence. All of these things are things that you develop within yourself. They're not things you build into a vehicle. And ultimately, if you try to compensate with the vehicle for the things that you lack, you're going to end up paying the price for that eventually.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in more ways than one.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, pay the price in money and time to try to accommodate for that, and then mechanical things will always fail you. I mean I've I've had lank users not start. It's very rare that that happens. But I've had land cruisers let me down. You're right, I think that. And maybe it's because that's what we're reinforced in and that's what the messages oftentimes in the industry, and that's why we try so hard in this podcast to try to remind folks that it's not the stuff that's going to give you the great experience. It's the doing, it's the going, it's the seeing that's going to make you more and more confident. If you look at the early travelers, the early around the world explorers, they had a fraction of the stuff that we have available at our fingertips today on a phone, and it's just amazing what they accomplished. And they just did it from their own desire to see and to go and to do. So that's wonderful advice. Reminding people that let's work on ourselves first, let's make let's get some education, let's get some training. Let's go out and do it and get lost and get stuck and break down and figure it out, so that way we have the confidence in ourselves to explore a little further next time, right.
Speaker 3: And you know, try to see the world. Do the of a traveler as opposed to a tourist, you know, because there's a big difference. You know, you can have all the Instagram photos and all the videos, and you can have the vehicle and all the all the gear, and you know, you can visit all the fancy places, but if you never internalize any of it, then you really haven't traveled to those places at all, and you haven't taken advantage of the places that they can take you. In your own mind. That's really the essence of it. If you will. You know, there is an actually that brings another thing to mind. There was there's a movie called Walter Mittie.
Speaker 2: Great movie.
Speaker 3: It's a great movie. I love that movie. But and I'm not going to spoil it for people that haven't seen I think you know that. I think that any of us that have a yearning to go do that should watch that movie. But in the very end, you know, at the very end of the movie, they really show you what the most important thing is, and it's it's not the extravagant experiences so much as the small experience is fully experienced, if that makes sense. I'm trying to word this very carefully not to give away the ending. In the very end, you know that what they called the quintessence of life or something. Yeah, is this very very simple thing. Yeah, and the guy that thought that he didn't have any of it basically had it all. Yeah. It's a very interesting lesson. Yeah. You can travel all over the world and see nothing. Yeah, you can travel a few miles away and see it all, and you're a much better travel person.
Speaker 2: No, no question.
Speaker 3: Just remember that. And you know it doesn't take a ton of money. It doesn't take a fancy vehicle, it doesn't take a ton of year. Yeah, pretty much, anybody with the heart and the desire to do it can do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So thank you for that encouragement, David.
Speaker 1: Thank you for all of the great conversations that you and I have shared around breakfast here and Prescott. And that's really what inspired me to want to have you on the podcast, is that I have learned so much from you. And as I've shared before with the audience, I know less than five percent of what I hope to know about this subject, and I have learned you have definitely moved the needle for me and the things that you've shared and the lessons that I've learned from you and your travels and the way that you prepare vehicles and equipment. So really grateful for our friendship, and I'm grateful for you having been on the podcast today and for reminding people that it isn't about checking boxes, it isn't about how far you go. It's maybe about how much we learn about ourselves and about how much we learn about the place that we're in at that moment.
Speaker 3: That's right, It's a good lesson for life too.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: And I guess one last question, where can people find out more about you and about Turnoverland and some of these new things that you're bringing to market.
Speaker 2: What's your website?
Speaker 3: The website is turnoverland dot com and we also have Instagram accounts and so forth. If you want to learn more about what we're doing with the camper, you could also contact at Overland because they are partnering with us on the building of these campers perfect Man.
Speaker 1: That way people can see a little bit more of these amazing new products you're bringing to the market.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 2: It's very good. Dave, thank you so much. I appreciate you being on the podcast.
Speaker 3: Yes, there is pleasure.