Speaker 1: This is live coverage of the twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by Always Safe Flagging and Traffic Control making Traffic Safe Again called four one two three oh one twenty three hundred or visit us online at awsafe dot net for a quote today by FedEx the new power Move Independence health System Expert Care here. Remax Select Realty Visit Remax Select Pittsburgh dot com. The Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania visit go Laurel Highlands dot com. The Steelers Proshop visitshop dot Steelers dot com and buy Condiente Pizza and Drafthouse.
Speaker 2: Good evening, Steeler Nation, How were doing well? That's good us too. It is the bonus hour of the drive here on campus in Saint Vincent College of Course, Unity Township, Latrobe, Pennsylvania. The final hour of the nine hours of live coverage that we do here every single day that the Steelers have practice, because nobody covers training camp like we do here on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold. West Shuler Matt Williamson with you for another hour, mattis some players.
Speaker 3: Starting to work their way.
Speaker 2: Down onto the field here for the evening walkthrough, just to paint the picture of the heat and the sunshine today. All the coaches and equipment staff and everybody who are out on the field waiting for the players to come down, they are pretty much all of them, about ninety five percent of them are standing in the shade behind the tree zone.
Speaker 3: Anyone that can in the shade, yes.
Speaker 2: Exactly right, just kind of all right. I'm not going to go out there in the sun until I have to, because it was a hot one here on campus today. Certainly there will be some weather rolling in in the back half of the week. Hopefully that won't affect anything out here, but that is obviously something that we will discuss when we all return on Wednesday. No sign of our line painting robot here today, Matt, So maybe he's got the day off. We'll see.
Speaker 3: I hope he didn't get cut.
Speaker 2: I hope not. It's early in camp to be getting cut, man. You gotta at least hang around till the end, till cut down day. Let's hit some tweets here like we like to do. To start the five o'clock hour. Sudesh says, who knew Matt was a reptile guy? I had a California kingsnake in my early twenties. He got over five feet long, and I let him go to a place where there was plenty of grub.
Speaker 3: I'm definitely not a reptile guy. I was crazy three or four years. Guys are crazy, and probably just because I thought it was cool or tried to be cool.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, it's a good way to impress girls.
Speaker 3: I was much more of an aquarium fish guy, though.
Speaker 2: You guys are nuts. Like what happened to a classic dog?
Speaker 4: Huh?
Speaker 2: How about just a good old dog?
Speaker 3: Birds and cats and dogs over the years too.
Speaker 2: I know that this won't make me super popular, but I've said this to my wife. Our dog only just turned thirteen a couple of weeks ago, so he is obviously, he honestly is. Still he can't really see, he's about blind, but he's still in pretty good health relatively. But he's also thirteen years old, so you know how that works. He's a he's much closer to the clubhouse than he is to tee and off on the front nine, and I said to my wife. I was like, I'm gonna miss only like crazy when he's He's a first and only dog I've ever had in my life. I was like, but I also, we're gonna take a little bit of a break because just raising two kids while you have a pet that's getting old. It's just it's a lot of extra work. A lot of extra work, yes, a lot of extra work that we don't quite need. And we've already got enough accidents and messes between the two girls. We don't need it from an animal I've missed. I think I would like that. That would be fun and relaxing. Maybe it'll have to get Yeah, maybe we'll have to. Maybe we'll have to get one of those in the basement here whenever things get finished up. Sudesh also says he's got me thinking that mad mechs Mad Max will be starting on the right side sooner rather than later. Could the Steelers have an elite offensive line once again?
Speaker 3: Yes, and yes, yes and yes.
Speaker 2: I mean I.
Speaker 3: Don't think the squint too hard to say that that day could be coming.
Speaker 2: I'm almost at the point now where I expect that day to come.
Speaker 3: You almost have to they invested. Yeah, if you'll get your return on your investment, then yeah, that's a problem.
Speaker 2: Three first round tackles, if you hit on two of them outstanding.
Speaker 3: I mean, second round center, second.
Speaker 2: Round center center, Yeah, fourth round guard Jennings Dunker, a third round guard. I mean, they they have really invested in that group. Betcer Anderson was a draft pick, albeit you know, right towards the very end, but he was still a draft pick. They have really invested in that group. It's starting to show, and it's still going to take time. Obviously a lot of those guys are still very young. But I would and I'm not even saying it has to be necessarily right now in twenty twenty six, but if this group is not elite, if this group is not considered one of the best three or four in the league, at some point, I would, honestly, I think, even be a little bit let down.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I say that they have to be.
Speaker 2: The the what am I What am I looking for? What's the word I'm looking for? Just the potential there is.
Speaker 3: I can't imagine a line in the league has more draft capital. I mean, some of you know, like the Saints have had a couple of high picks, but They also went out and got David Edwards this year in free agency. You know, like not that he's superstar, but Dallas always drafts a lot, you know, but so he does have to be right top of list in terms of draft capital in their O line room right now.
Speaker 2: That might be a fun exercise to look at you actually. Pittsburgh Conversation asks who would you feel most comfortable with right now at wide receiver three, Bernard or Wilson. Also, if a genie came out of the bottle and said one of the two would have a better career, who would that be.
Speaker 3: I'd bet I'm Bernard for the genie. Yes, just because Wilson hasn't had right.
Speaker 2: We've seen two years of it already.
Speaker 3: Two years of yes, semi disappointment. I don't have an answer for the first one.
Speaker 2: It might still be Roman, just because they seem to sure trust him and Bernard comments or never seen him in an NFL stadium.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I don't know if it was Allan that said, I think it was. Maybe some weeks it's Bernard, In some weeks it's Roman, depending what style Corn or the opponent totally or what they're preferred coverages are at this stage totally Steelers.
Speaker 2: Berner tweets and says, loved meeting you guys last night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was cool.
Speaker 2: It was cool being at camp today. My takeaway is Aaron Rodgers is constantly targeting Roman Wilson and it's looking good. From a rep standpoint. It seems Max is closer and closer to being a starter or sorry, Max Hanitsch or is closer to being a starter than Roger Jones's thoughts on those two today.
Speaker 3: I definitely think Rogers is very deliberate with who he targets in practice, and just chatting with folks last night, a lot of them are saying, boyd, he's only the only targeted Metcalf and then today it looks like you've was thrown to Wilson more, you know, So he's not going to waste his time throwing to dudes that aren't worth it.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know, Yes, I agree with you on that. That's a good way. That's a good way to put it. And yes, Max is definitely closer to being a starter than Broderick. Yeah, Max has been as as Matt put it when they do these offensive line drills, and this is part of the a lot going on that we've alluded to. There's two groups. There's the ones.
Speaker 3: Plus, so I think there's like seven.
Speaker 2: I think Hoffman's in there and and Max Honour is in there, and then there's all the other guys off to a different group. Uh, Broderck Jones is in that that second group, whereas is in with the one pluses along with brock Hoffman. So yes, he's He's definitely closer to being a starter than Progerick. Projerick, I think is just trying to work himself back to getting his body where he needs to be and healthy and putting on his weight and just kind of knocking off, yes, knocking off the rust from a major major surgery. Ye feel too, Ian says, good afternoon, gents. I've seen a lot of positive talks about the offensive line. Is Progerick playing guard out of the question, or do you think McCarthy and the new staff will go with the best players available? Approach love you stay cool today?
Speaker 3: Well, their history shows they do a lot.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say outline that they play. Mike McCarthy plays probably more than anybody tackles at guard throughout his tenure.
Speaker 3: But I think you said that well too, that I feel like Broderick's just kind of like working himself back to the line he was at before health. Yeah, I'm not sure now's the time for position change. Maybe you played no guard at all. Things happened quick in there. That doesn't mean he's not capable, but I think you need to get the step two or three of this back to normal stuff before you'd even consider it.
Speaker 2: Good tweet from Andy here, given that there's a new defensive coordinator, what's the impact of Joey Porter Junior not participating in training camp? Also need to know what your personal Steeler's cafeteria food camp feeno him so far, Man, I had some really good sushi last night that might have.
Speaker 3: Been in there enough. My schedule has not been great for that.
Speaker 2: It might be the sushi from last night.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you, jealous.
Speaker 2: That was sushi. Knight's always always a hit here on campus.
Speaker 3: The night I went over there thinking there was Anny crab Legs wasn't. But it was a good post to me. I put shrimp on it and stuff.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say the post the bars always got. I know, I let you down, although it's set it on the menu. Ye sometimes listen, we all got to assess the line of scrimmage and see where we're going here. But yeah, Sushi Knight's tough to beat. Impact of Joey Porter Junior not participating in training camp with a new defensive coordinator.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't think this is any secret because I did a night show with Jerry Dulac last night and he thought this staff wasn't thrilled that Porter didn't do anything in mini camp and OTAs just because we're new to you're new, let's get on the field together. Yeah, you know what I mean. Not like it's a dangerous situation. The chance of getting hurt there are probably slim. So I'm not saying, oh, they're never going to sign them, or there's at an impasse, or these guys don't like each other. None of that's true. It's just I would bet that I'm a new coach, new coaching staff, I would like to see what my star players like right next to him as opposed to on tape.
Speaker 2: Absolutely that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good, But that's not a hard position to learn. And that's also things like that. I mean, I'm sure he's in the he's in the cornerback meeting room exactly right.
Speaker 2: Is that is that Tom arth on a mobilized scooter rolling through the middle of.
Speaker 3: I didn't recognize the human, so I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: Somebody though, is riding a motorized skateboard basically through uh, through down the sideline here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was fun. That was like something you'd like.
Speaker 2: That was absolutely something I would like. Is Matt. Matt has done enough traveling with me to know that if there's like a scooter or something I can ride Indian, you'll see me flying around Indie at the combine, going to uh, you know, shake Shack to get a cheeseburger and all that good stuff. Joe with a good, bigger picture question here, can you guys please explain how sub packages work on game day with play clock running and coaches deciding on play calls. How is it determined who goes in who comes out? Is it predetermined for down in distant situations? Or is it just more coaches gut feelings about a player?
Speaker 3: Not the easiest question to answer, So I'm sure every team's different, but definitely some of it is. Let's say you're playing against the Steelers last year and they're a weird team that played a lot of thirteen personnel before that was even slice a bit popular. Immediately in the week, you gotta be like, what are we putting out there against thirteen? You know, like who are the eleven that we think that can handle that? And subject to change? Might be like they're dashing us and we're too light, you know, So some of the basics of it, and I guess we could this could be too long of a conversation, but somebody in the booth is gonna yell. You get in the headset that they're pulling a receiver off the field and a tight end's coming on eleven is turned into twelve. Okay, So immediately someone on the sidelines like, well, we know what we play against their eleven. Sure, and there's different versions of eleven, like eleven with Roman as my third receiver might be different than eleven with the rookie, you know what I mean. Or there's definitely different versions of tight ends, like if John New's out there, that's a lot different than Washington being out there. Like they might call it twelve plus or twelve heavy or twelve light or whatever, twelve rock and roll right, whatever name they call in that week. I think this is mostly true. But if it's like you're the running back coach, but I put out Dowdoor Warren. I think the position coach handles that more often than not. It's too big a job for the play call or too big a job for the head coach. Sure, head coach might be in your ear and be like, get Jalen out there for this one, or you obviously know throughout the course of the season it's fourth and one. I went Jerome out there, not Willie Parker, you know what I mean, like that kind of obvious ones or you know, and this is a position coach thing too. Man TJ's looking tired, get her big in there for him for two plays. You know. That's you know, you're part of your job with your you know, specific position. Or it doesn't happen with o Liman. It's a bad example, but dee Lyman's been on the field ten plays in a row, you know, and against.
Speaker 2: Her on the hips.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like, oh, get him out, you know something like that, or boy, he's that guard's whipping him, you know, get him.
Speaker 2: Out, mister Steel City says, Or you blow.
Speaker 3: An assignment or exactly right, or.
Speaker 2: That guy's doing something dumb, get him out of there. That's why I was always pulled off the field when I played football. Dumb euler, guys missing tackles left and right. Get him out of there. Mister steel City says, is there a reason that we're not seeing a wide receiver in DB's one on one at camp? Is it because of injury risk? Is it because it's not just an efficient use of time? Also, Aaron Rodgers said absolutely not to play in the preseason.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a good question.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It hasn't been as one on one ish, like like what we will title calmly. Yeah, you know top corner versus top Wonder how much.
Speaker 2: Of that though, is you got no Ramsey and no Porter to this point.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know if that's a McCarthy thing or not. It's not like corners having guarded receivers on the field going more or less full speed, But it hasn't been as one on one as like the big men. I don't have an answer for that. I'm kind of leaning towards I hope Rogers doesn't play one preseason snap, but I guess he came out today and said he might play thirty to forty or something like that. I don't know that I buy that.
Speaker 2: I don't either. Yeah, I would. I would guess he plays zero as opposed to double digit preseason snaps series, let alone thirty or forty. But listen, if he plays a series and he hands the ball off a couple of times and throws you know, one or two quick hitters, fine, Yeah, I'm not going to to be bothered either way. I was laughing with you. I think it was yesterday about how last year there was there was so much arguing over Aaron Rodgers should play a couple series, Aaron Rodgers should play a single snap. At the end of the day, I think it's much of a story. I don't either.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, if he plays thirty or forty snaps, that's a story.
Speaker 3: Yeah. If he's I can play the whole first half in the second game like that, that's a story.
Speaker 2: But I think there's I think the difference between him playing zero snaps and an amount that you can count on one hand and is nothing is nothing.
Speaker 3: If a difference between one series and zero snaps, I don't really care.
Speaker 2: Some Adam guy says it's good to hear you guys again. Go still, it's good to be back again. We enjoyed our two week hiatus before camp. We needed a little time to unplug and breathe, but we always love getting back here. And it's football, baby, It's football in Western Pennsylvania. This is what it's all about. And I tell you what, it's been a lot of fun this year too, Matt. We got an awesome line up here with all of our SNR shows and a lot of a lot of fun new people in the fold here, and we're looking forward to the rest of training camp and how it all plays out. Let's get to a break here and we return on the other side. More moving and shaking around campus here. We'll also hear a little bit from Matt max Ihanachur after a big day of practice. Plenty of ground still to cover. West Ruler Matt Williamson. It's the drive all part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage ob DOT twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by Pennsylvania One Call Systems Dial eight one one Before you dig SNT Bank People Forward Banking by Klusy Chevrolet, serving the Pittsburgh area for over one hundred and eight years. Clearview Federal Credit Union for every touchdown the Black and Gold score. In twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life mission, they said, CLEARVIEWFCU dot org and by Iron Workers Local Union Number three. We don't go to the office, We build it.
Speaker 2: Rolling along here on this Tuesday, as we are now into basically the evening portion of the day here, weather's starting to cool off a little bit, but it's still a hot one. Still a beautiful day here around campus, and.
Speaker 3: The bucket hats are coming in.
Speaker 2: At that bucket hat, you're much needed right now the grounds crew, without a doubt, and uh and yeah, another another good day of work here in the books. The Steelers will of course have off tomorrow Wednesday. That means we will all be off, will head home tonight for some some much needed rest and relaxation own on our own beds, But then we'll be back Thursday. We'll be back Friday. A whole bunch of moving and shaking going on in the back half of the week. Here, Matt, we are gonna hear just a few minutes of comments here from mad Max Ihanachuur in just a moment. But for those who might have missed it, that's kind of where we started the show in the three o'clock hour. It's been a really promising and encouraging start to camp for him. But for those who kind of missed our conversation, especially today in the one on one drills, he wasn't just holding his own he was excelling, excelling, he was standing down, he was doing very well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's extremely encouraging.
Speaker 2: It sure is, and he is I think arrow pointed up and we can't wait to see that continue and can't wait to see him grow and build and develop. Here here's what Max he Hanachour, the first round pick, had to say after practice.
Speaker 5: The first time you can be evaluated as your position, I think since it started in the spring. Obviously, OTAs coming out there, you know, just like shooting the plays. Not really as physical today at a physical standpoint, yes, but like every day we've been out here, we're just still getting working. You can suit focus on your foot, hands and everything's different.
Speaker 4: Like TJ and Watter Hall of Famer.
Speaker 6: You get to block him.
Speaker 4: When it's I know, it's just a drill or or something to and it was without Pato. Is it just different trying to block him or guys like that.
Speaker 5: I mean, yeah, we tried what they do a pretty good job on Temple when we're in pajamas. But today everybody was food good, so it was really fun getting to go against me.
Speaker 4: Pretty good out there.
Speaker 2: Do you feel you did out there today?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I feel good, some goods, but you know, always got to go back and watch the film.
Speaker 4: Man can always find something to get better on.
Speaker 6: You think you've made stride since like okas mini camp.
Speaker 5: On, Yeah, one hundred percent. Just catching up playbooks, speed of the game, I'll deve saying that part. Yeah, everybody was flying around, playing fast, playing confident. It was fun backs playing score off those rops like that with a little step with nah, just next play mentality. Just try to go out there, win and lose. Try to just focus on the next play.
Speaker 2: They've got some different types of edge rushers.
Speaker 7: Became like her, big speedy guy and then obviously like Soyer, more physical.
Speaker 4: A little picker.
Speaker 7: How How what's the benefit for you of going against different types of rushers and different body times.
Speaker 5: Oh, they're say, just be myself, go out there confident, but know your Russias, know their main moves. But just go out there and play fast. Don't overthink whoever's in front of you, different people lined up. Just go out there and play fast.
Speaker 8: And they've all been there, done that, whether it's one year for Jack or three for Ny.
Speaker 2: Going on with that game with TJ.
Speaker 7: How much feedback do you get from those guys and them trying to coach you and through it after me.
Speaker 5: Nick does a good job trying to just always at the end of play or after just trying to talk to me what he sees.
Speaker 4: Same with Jack too.
Speaker 5: Uh, everybody just trying to give their feedback by you know, we don't really talk that much. We're haven't really like, got to really get connected on that part.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how much Troy right at all?
Speaker 3: He is the guy over there and that's that last year.
Speaker 4: How much you guys talking Troy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Troy, Troy does phenomenal job. Y'all sit next to him in the meeting's just always picking his brain. It's going on your three You've seen a lot more than me played more so just always picking his brain on everything, just asking the little questions, getting his feedback on it.
Speaker 7: Somebody international made it.
Speaker 3: Really can't push you, don't make you.
Speaker 4: Ellvate you too soon too. Fans howlays you understanding. Are you keep it up? I'll say yeah. I mean it's football the end of day.
Speaker 5: Just come out confident, know your plays, and just go execute.
Speaker 2: Are you trying to approach training game?
Speaker 7: I mean, do you feel like there's a position of winning, an opportunity to potentially start as.
Speaker 3: Ear least week going for years.
Speaker 5: I'll just come out here and do what the coaches tell me. The dude, go and go hard for.
Speaker 2: Your overall impressions of camera here.
Speaker 4: Oh, this is different. This is different.
Speaker 5: We did some similars like this in the asquo, but it's not as big as this. Obviously, this is we're here longer. At ASU was on there for three days, but kind of used to it. But it's fun. It's different. Fans go crazy, as I'm.
Speaker 4: Sure you're waiting for this.
Speaker 2: Stay what are some of the things that really trends later and.
Speaker 4: Over you fear coming in the team. That type of work.
Speaker 5: I'll devastate just knowing your playbook so you can come out here and play fast. If you don't know what you're doing, you want to play fast and don't doubt you. So just come out here with confidence, win or lose refs. That's what practice for you. Just keep getting better.
Speaker 4: So you know the playbook pretty well.
Speaker 2: Percent, mad Max. He han achour there with a few minutes of his thoughts on practice to this point. A really good start and really encouraging start to camp for him, Matt. And that's awesome because hey, listen, we still need to see some stuff in the run game. We still needs as you mentioned in the three o'clock hour, you need to see him do it, you know, in Baltimore in front of seventy thousand people, screaming and yelling and the pressures on and you know all that stuff. But from a starting point for an offensive lineman, you know, a position that really takes some time to grow and bond and learn, he's had an outstanding start.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I don't know if these conversations are going on yet, but they probably aren't far away. Is do we just want him to learn against like bullets? You know, the talent I mean, anyone can see Stevie Wonder can see the talent. Yeah, I mean Stevie. Why not let him, you know, learn on the go.
Speaker 2: My goodness, you're fuddy, isn't she? Lovely? Very superstitiousious? Mad Maxie houn At you're there. Yeah, I'm telling you, folks, if you're coming out to camp anytime here over the next couple of weeks, make sure to keep an eye on that guy if you're going to be at Saturday night lights, and then obviously all throughout the preseason as well. I think Steeler Nation is going to like what they're seeing when they see the first round pick up close and personal or on the television. One more segment to go on the other side will close down the proceedings of the day and keep you posted on any final movement and shaken here across the campus. Wes Yuler, Matt Williamson, It's the Drive Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live Covery Jump Dot twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by your neighborhood Ford Store creator, Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, First National Bank, Let's get started. Member FDIC West Shore Home Remodeling Reimagine by Leecom Digital, Donz Appliances Visit Donsappliances dot Com guaranteed lowest prices, free next day delivery, CGR Wholesale and Hass's Steak and Seahouse. Hass Is his hospitality.
Speaker 2: Down the home stretch here today on the Drive, our final segment of the day, Our final live segment here on campus until Thursday. As a reminder, no practice on Wednesday, so that means no live SNR shows on Wednesday, but we will be back with a Vengeance for a busy second half of the week. Matt, I like this kind of new midweek day off, Like I feel like in the past they would always have like six straight practices this week and it was very physical Friday night lights and so because of that for us, it was for us it was a lot, and I think for the guys it was a lot too. I could use a little silence and see my family and just you know, sitt in your big lazy boy and relax for an evening. But yeah, I tell you it's it's uh. I'd like the day off tomorrow because I think that will lead to physical practices again on on Thursday and Friday to an extent, because we know it's it's it's not a different time. It's different times, certainly, but they were still doing some stuff out here today and I would expect that. Excuse me, there's a frog in my trot tsun Jolkin would have said, uh, I expect that to continue on Thursday. The guy who was in charge obviously of conducting and instructing all of the practices and everything on going here at camp, Mike McCarthy. This is what he had to say earlier.
Speaker 7: Like Omar and Andy drafted a lot of offensive line, but with high picks in the last couple of years.
Speaker 3: What have been your first impressions in that group?
Speaker 7: But what's like for you as a head coach to walk in and know that that foundation has already kind of been been late.
Speaker 6: Yeah, definitely a lot of value there, a lot of talent, very important. It's you know, I've always adhere to the statistics of you know, how many starts consecutive starts that you have with your with your offensive line equates the winning has for decades in our league. So trying to establish the starting five is something you're always going going through in training camp. But you know, most importantly is the depth. I know my recent experiences. You know, we've we've played a lot of offensive line, and so just sort of that's why you hear me talk about position flexibility so much. It's critical, you know, particularly the seventeen game season. So I really liked the group. But you know, I think yesterday being the first day in pads is a real starting point of you know, who we are and who we want to be, and we had a lot.
Speaker 3: Of work to do.
Speaker 9: When you talk about playing a lot of offensive linemen, do you mean if the case there's injuries or do you like to kind of move them in and out of different points just to create the.
Speaker 6: You know, maybe to give a guy arrest or something like that.
Speaker 9: You talk like, well, when you you would just said you you kid, Uh, historically you've used a lot.
Speaker 6: Of offensive line. Well, no, I I just my experience in Dallas, we had a lot of injuries to the offensive line, and that's what I was referring to. But uh, you know, I think I think you asked me. Someone asked me the first day, you know about the position flex and and it's you really seeting the drill work. So we're trying to work different combinations of you know, guards and tackles, and it's more who they play next to and just you know, the footwork and you know, cause it's you know, it's different when the when the player has to play the left side and then move to the right side. You know, so particularly young players and if a guy has you know, guard tackle flex going back to the player acquisition process and then in the draft, you know, that's why you look at tackles. You know, you want draft tackles and have building to movementside because you like to be able to train these guys you know, left side or right side, left guard and left tackle or Marcus just to try to keep the footwork cohesive because you know, it's it's a you know a lot of these conversations that we have as coaches is the training, you know, and in the training has to fit the scheme. You know, everybody has a good scheme. There's there's no such thing as bad scheme. But does the training fit the scheme.
Speaker 9: So when you did the two offense of the lines first left, first team, second team side by side, said something you've always done or do you do that because of.
Speaker 3: Your time frame.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm trying to get as much reps on We're trying to get as much fundamental uh work on tape. You know, we've invested the money and the extra cameras and so forth, and we actually, you know, the Wondrill screwed up yesterday, so we didn't. So, I mean there's some of the little little things we need to do better. Just from an operation standpoint. Yeah, we're trying to go you know, the speed of what we're going, but we want the quality of it. But definitely we want these young guys to not stand in line and get one repid one on one drill. We we liked everybody get five six, seven reps. So it's all about the video. It's the most important video is of themselves. So we're just trying to build those libraries, you know, the teaching atmosphere and just trying to heighten that as best we can.
Speaker 3: El Johnson said that he worked really hard in his past protection in past receiving during the offseason. Are you seeing evidence of that so far? You still see a path for him for a playing time this year?
Speaker 6: Yeah, definitely. I mean it's it's so early and I understand, you know, while we're asking the questions, but you know, we had a meeting. Uh, you know, going on these meetings, we've had one padded practice and and you know this this this is not really the time to do player evaluation. You know, don't pick on your question. But I'm happy with the energy. I'm happy with the approach.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 6: The overall practice was was was not where you liked it to men, but it we looked like at the end it was in paths for the first day in a new environment as far as what they're being asked to do. And so we need to take big step forward. You know, we need to practice, you know, you know it's it needs to be a lot cleaner to because that obviously we'll give the quality particularly in the team periods. Our emphasis today is red zone so we'll see a bunch of red zone reps today. So that's our focus. We're still in the last day of the of the limited time, you know, or one hundred and twenty minutes today. So but what we'll do, you know, much more work than we did yesterday, like any on a cool versions after his agree as Yeah, I think that you know, there'll be some news here coming out and just dis respect to the players and you know, injuries, particularly in training camp. But you know, I'll let the players handle that.
Speaker 2: Mike, what what was it you think Rico Dallas as you could fit in your offense and just early on how he's fit with his new teammates.
Speaker 6: Me, Rico's football player. I mean, you know when I when I view the running back position, you know, the first question I asked when we're doing the evaluations, can he play all four downs? You know, Rico was a young player for me in Dallas. You know, had injuries his first two years, but you could see the the toughness, the instinct. You know. I think for time he touched the ball, he took a kick off about sixty seventy yards. So I mean, he's he's he's just a hell of a football player. And then you know, he worked his way up behind two veterans you know, down there, and and then when he got you know, we got his opportunity, you know, as a thousand yard rusher. He did the same thing in Carolina. So to be able to get Rico here and to pair him with Jalen, I mean it excites me because I know my personal preference as a play caller. I don't want to have to worry what back's in there, so, you know, if it's third downer, just we do we run our stuff so and and both those guys give us that that flexibuilding. You know, they're both you want to get. You want them to touch the ball, especially in the first and second down or good out of the backfield. So you know, we we really got a dynamic one two punch in my opinion.
Speaker 8: You talk about investing money and cameras, it and all of this extra kind of tech. Have you considered her Have you used go pros with quarterbacks on their helmets or consider using virtual reality as a part of your your quarterback school?
Speaker 6: Not not right now, but yeah, I think those things have all are part of it. My my experience has been you know, and dabbled in those things, you know, for decades. Frankly, when this stuff all first come out, you know, what I found is a lot of those tools are probably better for the Rex staral work. You know, because when you're together, when the time that you do have when they're in the building, it's so it's so important for them to be you know, connected to you know, as a group, you know, developing the whole quarterback room and so forth. But yeah, I'm a big fan of all those things. I think there's some great technology out there.
Speaker 4: It seems like that grand like to be aggressive and disguise.
Speaker 6: I think that first off, that you want out of your team defensively, and then as an offensive guy.
Speaker 4: How does that stress an offense?
Speaker 3: It's awesome.
Speaker 6: This is incredible work for us offensively, and I know we're stressing them too. This is this is what you want out of training camp. You don't want to ever have to get to a point training camp and say, hey, can you give me you know, this scheme or this formation or this stress point the offense gives the defense. That defense has definitely given us that. You know, we're what I would refer to this as an install phase. We call it recall just to you know, play on words. But you know, these for the especially for the rookies. You know, they they're getting a new game playing every single day, so you know, it's that part of it's good. But the pressure, the pressure work is is is incredible. You can't have enough pressure work, especially when you're getting pads. Uh. As a football team, like.
Speaker 8: A like Aaron was pretty out spout industry and how not show about a couple of.
Speaker 4: Different things, just your in comment or not, or your.
Speaker 8: Perspective and thoughts on you know, guys sharing their teams on your talent.
Speaker 6: Yeah, definitely, I I think you know, Bernard, you know, had had the statement. I think it really sums it up. You know, these are their grown men. They all have different opinions. Uh, there's no question about that. But you know, the end of the day, my job is to keep it about football, keep the focus on winning. That's why we're here. You know, we have we have a good locker room. You know, we have a player console that's in place. You know, we had our second meeting yesterday and so you know, I think we're in a good spot.
Speaker 7: Mike pat yesterday he expressed the excitement to get ready to work on the red zone because he said that he feels that like there's been a growth in how they moved down the field. They just want to finish stronger in those two minute drills. Have you seen that growth that you like as far as getting up to the red zone, is that where you kind of wanted.
Speaker 2: To be for the stage.
Speaker 6: Definitely, I think the work in the spring is evident. I think it's clearly evident. You know, I can't I'm running into comparables from last year. I know this training regiment. You know, our players did the work. You know, they they they hit, they hit the numbers that we needed to hit in the offseason program. There's a few things we didn't accomplish, which you know we did the first couple of days there in helmets, you know, at the end of the game situations. So yeah, definitely, No, we're definitely in the the key spot and at the end of the day. You know, our our guys know this scheme. You know, they know the techniques, but it's time to play them.
Speaker 2: You know, the.
Speaker 6: Communication, the speed of it in the alignment. You know, that's why that we talk so much about the pre snap. You know, when you're pre snap's clean, good things happen. So we just got to keep stressing each other on a communication part of it. But yeah, definitely, I feel good about world defenses more.
Speaker 7: A lot of rookie receivers come in over the years and try to learn airands, signals and everything.
Speaker 2: He kind of wants at the line of scrimmage. How's Jeremy done with that thus far.
Speaker 6: And how I mean it's it's not a good job. It's it's but you know, it's he's got a new challenge today. You know, there's gonna be more things that go on down in the red area, you know. So and and that's a hard balance, not only just for him, for all the guys, you know, because it's you know, it's it's an Atlanta scrimmage football game. It's and it's been like that for good fifteen years, twenty years, so on the ability to play fast, play clean, Atlanta scrimmage, stress, the defense, you know, signals and all the things that you refer to. You know, it's it's a process, you know, and it's always harder for the younger players.
Speaker 7: That's one Herman was a big, big boost for the run defense when he was on the field, they were one of the better teams that stopping the run.
Speaker 2: Wing was off, it kind of hurt them.
Speaker 7: What is he showing you this early in training camp, especially with yesterday's work, about where he is as a player.
Speaker 2: And how excited you are to see him.
Speaker 6: Yeah, when I look at Derek, you know, and definitely an evaluation process and you know, it's they all looked a little different when they put the pads on, you know, and he's definitely he's definitely one of those guys. You know, he's an impactful player. You know, the same thing with KB Benton. I thought both those guys, you know, their ability inside the twitch, you know, some of the explosiveness, get explosiveness, getting off blocks. I thought that showed up. So I think both those young men are off to a good start.
Speaker 2: All right, Thank you, Mike McCarthy speaking there, another productive day for the Pittsburgh Steelers, their sixth practice out of fourteen. I want to say it is here on the on the campus, well, I guess it would be thirteen here on campus and then Friday night Saturday Night lights part of me over at Latrue Memorial that may fourteen. I believe it's fourteen. So six out of fourteen, about halfway home in this process. Now, obviously there's the preseason game next week, which kind of breaks it up and gives you three days without a practice there. But yeah, we are, we're starting to get it. Not as you said at the start of the show, Matt, we're not quite in the dog days yet, but they'll be here sooner rather than later.
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially if we keep the heat up. And you know, there could be some weather coming on the horizon too, it looks like so we'll see.
Speaker 2: There certainly could be. Hopefully the weather's gonna hold off the rest of the week as well, but that'll be all stuff that we monitor when we return back to campus on Thursday. That will do it for us today. Thanks to Justin for producing back at the ranch, ed for engineering here on site, and for our buddy Allan Saunders for joining us earlier in the program. For Matt Williamson, unwet Hueler. Take care everybody. We'll talk to you soon. As always, you know where to find us. It's on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.