Speaker 1: Hey there everyone, and welcome to the Betting Pros NFL podcast, brought to you by play MGM. I am your host, Dan Harris. You can find me on Twitter at Dan Harris. Ady with me today is my very good friend who if you play fantasy football you already know and love, Mike Taglier. You can find him on Twitter at Mike Tagli air NFL tags.
Speaker 2: How you doing, buddy, I'm.
Speaker 3: Doing good man. I don't think that you realize just how much of a degenerate you are until you sit down and you stalk beat writers Twitter reports, because like, I'm playing preseason dfs tonight and uh yeah, so I've become a stalker of beat writers.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Preseason is always sort of the toughest thing to do, right, That's where you have to pay, frankly, the most attention because you have no idea who's actually going to play, what the team's plan is going to be doing. But it's a busy day with this is how. We're recording this on Wednesday. No, sorry, it's Thursday, right, yep, what day is it?
Speaker 2: Good lord?
Speaker 1: We're recording this on Thursday night, So there's a lot of preseason action to come. So I'm glad you're going to be involved, but really, TEGs, I don't want to talk about that. This is what I want to talk about.
Speaker 2: Text.
Speaker 1: You are married, of course, to a lovely lady. You have two beautiful children, and you work full time as a fantasy football analyst. But I need to ask, where do you think being on the inaugural episode of the Betting Pros podcast or ranks in terms of great moments in your life? Now, I assume, like me, your wife doesn't listen to your podcast and stuff, right, so you can be honest, this is what top three ish.
Speaker 3: I mean, it might be the top three thing that happened today.
Speaker 2: This is so disappointing.
Speaker 1: I mean, I you know, I'm gonna get in touch with our producers because I really wanted you for the first episode. But it's clearly a mistake. I want you to know, Tex. But obviously there's a disparity here because for me, this is actually the sixth best moment of my life, and I'm gonna I'm gonna give you the few that it's behind. Okay, Number one the first time I tried to shake Shack Burger. Okay, because that was for me pretty life changing. Number two the time Chad Pennington told me that I had great hair. That really I have lived on that for several years at this point. Number three the time that the lady at Coldstone Creamery said that I could just reuse the buy one, get one coupon every day for the next three days until the coupon expired. Number four the time that Marshaw Lynch did that insane run in Week sixteen against the Cardinals at the end of the game, and that capped off my most dramatic Fantasy win of all time. Do you remember that one? Like Chris Collinsworth is literally just laughing at the time that it was my avatar for my fantasy leagues have literally just been Marshall Lynch jumping backward into the end zone making a pretty inappropriate gesture.
Speaker 2: But I think it's fine.
Speaker 1: And number five was the day that I learned that normal shoe companies now make like the large clown shoes that I wear that were like extra wide, so I didn't have to order like plain white orthopedic shoes online to fit my gigantic feet. So this slot's in right at number six. It's a little disappointing to hear how little you value our interaction here. But I gotta be honest, there's a lot of pressure on you here because this is very meaningful to me. So you're going to have to deliver today. Are you okay with that?
Speaker 3: Well, we are the two best friends that anyone can have. I mean, if Bobby's listening, that includes Bobby, that includes you. We are the two best friends. You would be the third best friend.
Speaker 1: That's true, And we were actually singing that offline before I started recordings.
Speaker 3: Absolutely true.
Speaker 1: So today we're going to be talking about some NFC over under win totals, each giving a few of our favorite bets for the upcoming season. Now, I am excited for this inaugural show, as I just said, and for much of the preseason, this is what we're going to be doing on this podcast, talking about some of our best bets for the season. But for our next show, we're actually going to take a quick step back and give you kind of a primer on the landscape of sports betting, because most of you probably think that, well, sports betting is legal, so that regardless of your state, you can just Google bet on sports and place a bet on whatever website pops up. That's that's not the case. Whether you can go out and place a bet in any state, and if so, how you can actually do that is going to depend on where things stand in your particular state. So we're gonna get into all of that and more with Dustin Galker, a guy who knows more about the sports betting landscape than anyone I know. But here's the thing, and I'm going to fill you in on this a little bit before the show starts. Is that New Jersey, which spearheaded the litigation that eventually led to taking down the federal ban on sports betting, is already up and running. You heard at the top of the show that I mentioned that we are brought to you by play MGM, And you don't need me to tell you about MGM's incredible casinos or the entertainment that they offer. But if you're in New Jersey and you're wondering where to bet on sports, you really don't need to look any further. Just download the play MGM Sports app. Just go to your app store, type that in and you're going to see it right there. With the MGM Sports app, you can bet on pretty much any sport you want. That includes college football, baseball, and of course the NFL, they're going to be offering point spreads and money lines and odd boosts, futures and props in play wagering and a ton It's super easy to deposit and withdraw your money, and you can do that anywhere. To be clear, you just have to be in New Jersey to actually place your bet. But this is the best part. When you download that AUP, use the promo code Harris. That is my last name and also the first part of Harrison Ford's first name, So it's like basically impossible to forget. Just use the promo code Harris when you sign up, and when you do, you get to play your first bet risk free.
Speaker 2: That is not a joke.
Speaker 1: If you use the Harris promo code and your first waiger is twenty five dollars or more and you lose play, MGM is going to refund your wager of up to one hundred dollars. I just want to make sure that is clear to you guys, because I legitimately had to double check it. Your first wager of at least twenty five dollars is a freebie. If you lose, they're gonna refund your wager up to one hundred dollars. So just download the play MGM app, use the promo code Harris, and head to New Jersey to place your first wager. So tag's the first thing I want to do is talk a little bit, because you obviously are a fantasy analyst, I want to talk a little bit about how sports gambling impacts you as a fantasy analyst generally. So why don't you you know? Because I read your primer every week, which everybody should be doing, and I know you talk about things like implied total So I just want to know generally, how you know the lines at Vegas or any sportsbook sets kind of impacts how you think about fantasy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a really good question, Dan. This is something that legitimately kept me up at night. And I'm not like kidding around. I'm not just saying that likes like a saying. I've literally woken up at three am sometimes when like an idea strikes me and it's like I get up to research it. And this was one of those things. I wanted to know the average amount of fantasy points scored in an average NFL game, and then I wanted to break that apart into averages based on the over under that was set for the game. I had never rese I've never released that release research that I did because I didn't want I wanted to like fine tune it and get a bigger sample size. But it definitely has an effect on fantasy output as you would expect, and it's definitely a curve. So like, as a sample in the twenty one games, when the total was in between fifty two and fifty three and a half points, that game netted on both sides of the ball one hundred and seventy nine fantasy points. By comparison, if we drop that down ten points to forty two to forty three and a half a point spread, it actually average one hundred and thirty eight point five fantasy points. So you're talking about a difference of like forty fantasy points just over forty fantasy points just because the game's over under was up ten points and we're not talking like the over under was sixty. Vegas has this locked down to the point where it's like the odds makers they set these lines, they know exactly what they're expecting, and most of the time it's going to pan out to where if you're ever torn between you know two players, you should definitely use the over under to help you decide that, particularly in DFS, because as we've seen, you know, in this research that I've done, that small sample size, is that it does affect fantasy football and if you and again if you're torn, choose the player that's got the higher over under in his game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a really great point. And frankly, that research, I mean, that was kind of a shocking number how large it was, just the difference that can be done. And in terms of just like by the week, do you think that fantasy players can in any way gain any advantage generally by paying attention sort of to sports gambling. I mean, you know they are you know, you mentioned the lines that Vegas sets and those you know, they know more about football basically and how to set those lines and where they go than anybody else in the world. But in the end, you know, the lines move, you know, during the week and stuff like that. Does any of that impact you essentially as a fantasy analyst or a fantasy player.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely, And you have to like it's all about correlation and you have to find those things that correlate, Like line movement itself can identify opportunity with running backs, because you do not want to tie yourself too many running backs who are double digit underdogs. Like if you're playing DFS for the week and you're like, Wow, why is this guy forty three hundred dollars? I should probably play him, and then you realize that he's a twelve point underdog. The correlation with that is terrible in terms of like four running backs. On the flip side, if you have a team that's sitting there as a favorite by two and a half points and then you see the line shift and all of a sudden it's up to five and a half points, the running back on the big favorite should be bumped up in your rankings a little bit and you should be more you know, open to playing that guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah that those are great points, And I've been doing that now for a couple of years, and it really really does make a difference, especially in DFS. So the bottom line is, even if you are just sort of even if it's not necessarily legal in your state at this point, although I'm sure we'll be soon to bet on sports paying attention necessarily to Vegas lines and the way things are moving in particular, can really give you an end, both in your season long leagues and in dfs. So why don't we then get into the bulk of the show. Now, we decided to go with the NFC because you know, i've tags as a Bears fan, as everybody pretty much knows, and so I I assume that he's got relatively strong opinions on some of the teams. So tags, why don't we do this? Why don't you start and give me what you think your best over under is for the NFC.
Speaker 3: My best one, I would say that I have Detroit under six and a half wins. That's the over under on their win total six and a half. So it's basically, if if you think they're gonna be seven and nine, you're gonna take the over. If you think they're gonna have six wins or less, you're gonna take the under. Obviously, there's no push in this situation. Seventy one percent of experts actually agree with me on this one, So it's not like, you know, I know there's gonna be put some people out there listening saying, oh, well, he's a Bears fan. I am one hundred percent. I leave those take I leave my fandom outside my job. But Detroit. You know, when you look at the division, you see that the Bears are projected to win nine or ten games. You look at Green Bay, they're projected to win nine or ten games. Minnesota the same exact thing. So where is Detroit getting their free wins? You know, the NFCS as a conference has turned like brutal, like in terms of like sheer top end talent. I would say the NFC is a tougher conference now and Detroit under Matt Patricia unfortunately, you have to be one of two things as a head coach. If you want to if you want to be you know, a nine to sevent team or whatever that is, like just like a winning coach, you have to either be a an offensive mind that your offense is so good to overcome some defensive struggles. Because to be fair, I'd rather have an offensive minded coach because the NFL is going that way they want. You know, it's like the chicks dig the long ball. It's just like chickstick touchdowns. That's basically where we're at now and Detroit they really don't have that, and now they're talking about running the ball a whole lot more. Matt Patricia is not an elite defensive coach, you know, like if you have someone like Pete Carroll who continually puts out the best team on the field, that's an elite coach in terms of he might not be an offensive mind, but his defense comes out to play every single week. We didn't see that out of Detroit last year. I don't think they have the talent and the roster, and again, they play in probably the toughest division in football, So to say that they'd win seven games, I think that's a stretch. So I'd say Detroit was more like a five and eleven or six and ten team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I definitely think that's fair. And as we'll get to with some of my picks, I'm certainly more bullish on some of the other teams in the North. But I do want to point something out because you brought up a good point which kind of leads me sort of to what I wanted to talk about here, which is you mentioned that seventy one percent of experts are with you on the under, And just to be clear, that number comes from bettingpros dot Com, which, by the way, if you love Fantasy pros, you're really gonna love Betting Cross because it does a lot of the same things. Part of what it does is it pulls together expert picks from across various platforms, It rates the advice, and it then turns it into consensus picks. So at Betting Pros, for example, you can get consensus picks from over one hundred and fifty experts, either for over unders or against the spread. You can see accuracy ratings for everyone who's submitting picks. You can compare expert picks for any game you want, and you can see consensus odds across sports books to make it easy to compare the various odds that are out there. We're going with six and a half, as you saw for the over under for the Lions wins, and that is the consensus over under. Now it lists a bunch of different sportsbooks, and frank they're all happen to be at six and a half. But that's another thing that you're going to be able to see at Betting pros do com. So if you go into betting pros dot com and you go and you look at what the over unders are for the season, and you click on analysis under Betting Pros, you'll see seventy one percent of experts have the under including tags which you can see right there, and only twenty nine percent have the old. So that is one of the things that we're gonna be doing at the site now. Sticking with the North one of the ones I have, I'm not let's just say this, I don't expect to lose this bet with. This is the Vikings over nine wins, and the thing is, I nine wins to me feels very safe, and so I'm looking at this as the worst case scenario as sort of a push.
Speaker 2: You can't push with.
Speaker 1: The Lions, they're six and a half. Obviously you're gonna win or you're gonna lose. With the Vikings at nine, I feel relatively confident at this point that they're gonna make at least nine, but I feel pretty good about them getting to ten, possibly eleven. They brought in Gary Kubiak, who I don't even know what his exact job title is at this point, quarterback whisper, whatever it is, is an offensive advisor, but he's basically like a guarantee to have a top ten offense, and he emphasizes play action pass and I really think that that's gonna benefit Kirk Cousins. So I do expect the offense, which really sort of struggled later on down the stretch, to be better. And the team drafted Garrett Bradbury out of North Carolina State. To me, that really really bulks up their offensive line. And best of all, he is familiar with the zone blocking scheme that Kubiak likes to implement, you know, and I think Dalvin Cook as well, he's familiar with his zone blocking scheme, so he's going to be back healthy. I'm really excited about it. And the defense, which was you know, i'll say maybe not elite but definitely above average, is largely intact, so sort of for the same reasons that you do not like the Lions. In the end, I kind of think that the Vikings are probably going to win both their games against the Lions to start, and I really expect them to have a strong season this year.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, the Vikings are a team that under achieved last year for sure, and I think that they've always had that elite defense. You know, that's one of those teams where it's like Mike Zimmer's coach that great defense, and once Pat Schrimer left, you kind of just felt like, Okay, the talent is there. You know, they brought in Cousins and the offense is going to be competent enough to get into the playoffs, and they fell apart. Cousins, you know, was really up and down in his performances. But you know year two in that offense, you know, upgrading the offensive line. You know, the defense won't be on the field hopefully as much. If they can run the ball with Dalvin Cook, if he could stay healthy, I think nine wins is right. It's about right for them. Again, they play in this tough division, tough conference. But if they get everything together and if Kubiak, if they do pick up that offense, I could see ten wins out of this team. It's just it's really tough to do that in the NFC now, And which kind of like it's like a good segue to my next team that I would have as under is ten and a half the New Orleans Saints ten and a half wins. I'm going to go under that. The Saints are a good roster, but their defense is a little suspect. Okay, Sean Payton's always been an elite play caller. We know that that offense is going to show up losing Mark Ingram probably not going to lose anything in that offense, replacing him with Latavious Murray, losing their starting center, that's not ideal on the offensive line. That's going to downgrade that a little bit. But it's not so much about the offense. This is more about the inconsistency on defense and particularly in their secondary outside of Actually, I should say Marcus Latimore took a step back last year and then they traded for Eli Apple, who he's just a mediocre guy. I just feel like that defense, I know they've added a few pieces to it, is a little too inconsistent for them to for you to say, oh, I'm guarantee, I'm gonna say they're gonna win eleven games. They're gonna go eleven and five. Atlanta is a really good football team. Tampa Bay is now coached by Bruce Arians. I would I would assume that Arians Indivision is gonna win one of those games against them. Breeze when he plays outdoors again, maybe that game is at Tampa Bay. When he plays outdoors, he's not as good. Carolina is always competitive under Ron Rivera, So to win eleven games. I don't see how anybody could take the over on New Orleans. I would have set that line of ten and made someone pick. You know, are you gonna say, are you willing to lay that rake in order to bet New Orleans? But the ten and a half is just too high?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with you, And you know this is gonna be a little overly simplistic, but you know, eventually, I just it's really hard to bet on eleven games when Breeze is what forty years old at this point. I mean, I love the guy, but you know, it's father time is undefeated unless you know your name is Tom Brady essentially, so at some point the ride is gonna end. And that is just such a huge number. And I know, you know that they can they can put up a thirteen and three season really any year. But you're right, you know, the Panthers I like a lot. I may talk about them if we get there, you know. And again, yeah, Bruce arians certainly making the Bucks better. So I'm definitely a little worried about the Saints right now. I would also go under with that. I don't think it's one of my best bets necessarily, but it is something where when I choose it, when I put it on the site, I am going to be going under ten and a half for me. My second is the Giants under five and a half wins. Now, that is a really, really low total, but I cannot see any scenario where this team even remotely succeeds. The best thing I can say about them in terms of basically having that bet lose is that they get to face the Redskins twice. That's really it. And they obviously don't have Beckham anymore. Golden Tate is suspended, Sterling Shepard is dealing with his broken thumb. Corey Coleman's out for the season. I mean, I love Saquon Barkley, I love Evan Ingram, but I mean, come on, on the defense, I mean, maybe Lorenzo Carter is gonna emerge, you know, maybe Marcus Golden's gonna get back to it, but it's certainly not overly impressive. The offensive line has absolutely no depth. I mean, Nate Solder and Mike Grammars are probably they're already battling injury. I don't even know if they're going to play in the preseason. If they have an injury there, they're really going to struggle. And the only thing that makes me even remotely think about this bet for me is that their schedule, they certainly have winnable games. They've got the two against the Redskins, as I said, they're home against Buffalo, They're home against the Cardinals, They're at the Jets, which obviously is not an actual away game. They're home against Miami. So there are some winnable games out there. But for me, betting against David Getleman is a pretty good bet, and I feel just. I mean, six wins, it's not a big number, but for me, even them getting there, it feels like almost everything needs to break right.
Speaker 3: I would tend to agree with you. I don't see a strong point in this team at all outside of Saquon Barkley. Like that defense is decimated. Their cornerback depth chart is a joke. They have two new safeties. Safeties are kind of like an offensive line to me, where it's like the continuity the communication between those guys. To have continuity there, it means a lot. And you know, when you have two new safeties, or even if you replaced one, it's they're playing as a new group and there can be miscommunications over the top, And uh, yeah, I am with you on this one. I actually had the Giants there, they weren't there. They would have been my like number four pick the NFC teams. But I'm definitely with you on that one.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's just, you know, literally as good as Saquon is, how you know, how is he ever not going to see a completely stacked box? How is he ever not going to have a spy on him? No matter what happens, they have no weapons out there other than Ingram. It's really just something where it's really hard to see a scenario where they get to even six wins. And again that's a low total, a really really low total. It's five and a half. I mean, six wins is nothing you can kind of fall into it. But you know, this team is almost kind of historically bad in the way that I look at it. So that's certainly one of my strong ones. How about you, what's number three for you?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Number three is Philadelphia? And again this is it's really tough to say that a seams gonna win double digit games, but Philadelphia the line at nine and a half. I like it because nine and seven is what they went last year. They legitimately were down like four of their five top cornerbacks at one point in the season. They lost Carson Wentz, you know, they had some injuries to the wide receivers. There were so many things that anything that could have went wrong essentially for the Eagles last year, did go wrong, and they still went nine to seven. Doug Peterson has proven that he's a phenomenal coach. He has this team well prepared. Next man up on the depth chart, Okay, you're gonna step in, You're gonna do this, and they do it. But they've upgraded their roster. They're actually they're going to walk in healthy. They have Miles Sanders now, who's a true three down back. They don't have to necessarily rotate and be predictive with their running backs. Carson Wentz seems to be like fully healthy. Adding to Shawn Jackson is massive for that offense. He may not be the best fantasy player this year, but in terms from a real football standpoint, DeShawn Jackson changes the way that you approach an offense. And if he's able to stretch the field and pull a safety his way, that means Alshon Jeffery is going to be in man coverage, Nelson Agler is back in the slot where he belongs. You know, they tried pushing him outside when they traded for Golden Tate last year. The Eagles just tried to doing everything that they possibly could last year, and they just they came up short, and they made it a lot further than a lot of other teams would have. But knowing that Dallas is probably gonna be without Ezekiel Elliott, it seems right now, knowing that, you know, the Giants, as we just talked about, not a good football team, the Washington Redskins are a terrible football team as well. It seems like they're gonna be starting Colt McCoy. We've seen this story before. So I think the Eagles I would take the over. And I was surprised to see that seventy one percent of experts agree with me on that one.
Speaker 2: You were surprised to see that.
Speaker 3: I was just because it's it is really tough to predict ten wins for a team.
Speaker 1: I know, but tex they basically got four in the bank, right, I mean, you know you can't say that about most. Seems like you said, with Washington and with the Giants, right, I mean, can you really realistically, can you see any scenario absent catastrophic injury, where they league where they lose any of those games those four games?
Speaker 3: I would like to say, No. I mean, I'm sure there's probably one, because there's always that one that you're just like, how'd that get away? But division like.
Speaker 1: When the Bills, but when the Bills beat the Vikings.
Speaker 3: Or like when the Dolphins beat the Patriots or the Dolphins beat the Bears. Yeah, that was fun.
Speaker 1: Now, I guess that that's it's fair. But no, I mean when I that's certainly a great one. That was one of mine. For sure, I would not at all be surprised at the seventy one percent mark because I feel pretty strongly about that. Again, it's just you know, yes, of course there's a possibility. But for the most part, there are a handful of teams that you're gonna be able to really pick on this year, and you know, the Eagles are in a division with two of them, and you know the fact that they get four games against them really makes a difference for me. You know, again, this is one where I think most people are gonna look at the number and they're gonna think the number is pretty on and that's the Packers over nine. Again, this is not a half, this is nine. So again part of my thinking here is if you hit the number when it's not a half and you push, you're fine. You haven't lost any money or anything like that. So this is one of the ways that I like it, and I do expect them to go over Now I'm not I'm not going overboard with this one.
Speaker 2: I do have actual.
Speaker 1: Personal money in it. When I went to Vegas, this was one of the ones that I placed. The schedule is certainly rough. I mean, you know, we've talked about the North. They get the Bears and the Vikings. They play the Eagles, they play the Cowboy, they played the Chiefs, they played the Chargers. It's not, by any means an easy schedule. But you know, the loss of Mike McCarthy is basically worth like three wins at this point. I don't even know how Matt Lafleur is going to be as a coach, but I don't really care. More so even than the offense, although the offense is something, is that the defense. I mean, they were allowing twenty five points per game last year and they just added a heck of a lot to that defense. I've got Zadarius Smith and Preston Smith, Adriana Mike Daniels. For whatever reason, right, that was a little weird. I don't know, Tags, actually, I've been meaning to talk to about it. Do you have insight into why they did that?
Speaker 3: I don't. I think it was idiotic and now he signs with your division rival like, way to go, dummies. I mean, didn't make any sense to me. None.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it didn't to me either. But it doesn't change the fact that I still think, you know, and their draft with Rashaun Gary, and I really think that in the end, their defense is going to be so much better than last year. And more than that, I know Rogers is getting up there. I just have this feeling, Tags, I think he's gonna come out and he's gonna go nuts because I think that he is so motivated to basically show that McCarthy was really the cause of the is Now he was injured, of course, and he gets injured fairly regularly, but I think that this is going to be a ginormous year for Aaron Rodgers. Again, the schedule is tough, I completely agree, but I think with that defense sort of, you know, getting so much better from last year, and with Rogers being motivated and with Aaron Jones for the entire season, I really think that this is going to be a big year for them.
Speaker 2: And again, the way I look.
Speaker 1: At this sort of thing is I don't mind placing a bet where I feel pretty confident we're gonna win. But I feel really confident that it's not gonna lose, you know, because I think the number nine is going to be hit. I don't see them as a five hundred team. I think they're going to be above despite the division. Of course they can beat up on the Lions. Is essentially for the reasons that you said. But for me, you know, I think nine is a good number. I know why it's set there, but I'm I feel pretty comfortable that they're going to get to ten wins.
Speaker 3: I wish I could refer you in this situation, but I cannot. But I don't know if I could. The nine line, I don't like if it was eight and a half and you want to say nine to seven, Okay, I can't see ten wins in this division from them. I mean, yes, they have some talent on the defense now, but there's there's still a lot of young guys that are still somewhat unproven. You could say that you liked him as a prospect or you like them their potential, but they may not all come together. The safeties are also a big question mark. Again, they drafted. They drafted some players in the defense, which should help, but again in that tough division. Don't I don't know why Matt Leafleour got a head coaching job. I mean, I'm gonna be real honest about that. Like, I'm not saying that he won't turn out to be a good coach. He could. He could, but I just don't understand how he got that job. Like, did anybody watch the Titans offense last year? It wasn't good. And I know that people want to blame Marcus Mariota, and that's fine. I remember when people were blaming Jared Goff for being bad under Jeff Fisher and then like Sean McVay came in. That's where people are going wrong with Matt Lafleur is that they're believing that he had something to do with the Rams. Now he was under Sean McVay, he hit the title of offensive coordinator, but he was not calling the place. Sean McVay is always called the plays there, and then Lafloor he just got too cute, like trying to do things like mixing and matching Dion Lewis and Derrick Henry. And I thought he may have learned his lesson at the end of the season by you know, like when you watch Derrick Henry, I know they had good game scripts in them, but he kept Derrick Henry on the field and good things happened because of it. And now that he went to Green Bay, I'm like, Okay, he had to have learned right. And anybody that's watched football knows that Aaron Jones is the best running back on that roster and it's not even all that close. And Mike McCarthy was all about, oh he's got a past block and this, and it's a bunch of garbage. Mike McCarthy was a terrible coach.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I really, I want to ask you text legitimately last year, how many coaches were worse than Mike McCarthy.
Speaker 3: No, No, it's not even just last year. Like I so, I came out with an article before last season, so it wasn't like it wasn't like, oh, you just said that because they suck no No. Before last season, I came out with an article and I had McCarthy as a bottom I think it was bottom six head coach in the league. And everybody's like, how are you going to say that they've been to the playoffs? Blah blah. I'm like, it's it's really easy to say that when you have Aaron Rodgers and Brett Farv like throughout your career, like you've you've literally been handed a gift on a silver platter and you've done nothing with it, Like Rogers has won Super Bowl. That's pathetic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know they were obviously talking about him possibly coming to the Jets, and so when we hired Gates, I was like doing cartwheels because legitimately I'm not a gays fan, of course, but anybody was better for me than Mike McCarthy, And I think that's sort of my point. I don't really care that much about matt leafore, because I think legitimately, addition by subtraction, getting rid of Mike McCarthy, even if you turn the offense over entirely to Rogers and let him do what he wants. I just think, especially with the increased defense, you know, with how good they're gonna be there, I really just expect this. They're gonna I think they're gonna, you know, surpass expectations. I remember, they do have a lot of tough games on their schedule, but you know, they also play the East, they get the Giants, they get the Redskins, are they get the Raiders? You know, there's a ton of really winnable games out there. And you know, look, I mean neither one of us. My guess is you're probably gonna come with me. I believe the Bears are set at eight at the over under eight?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: And what they win twelve last year? Or are they nine there?
Speaker 3: Oh last year?
Speaker 2: No? No, no they're not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're at nine this year.
Speaker 1: Okay, And what do you think about that? That sounds to me about right.
Speaker 3: It's about right. Yeah, That's what I'm saying. Like them, and I could see Minnesota being right there at nine ten ten wins, Like if the Bears or the Vikings won nine or ten games, I would like that's that seems about right. I just don't think that they can all win nine or ten games. I think there's gonna be one or two teams that disappoint. And if there's one coach that I know that I don't like very much, it's it's Matt Lafleur so far from what I've seen, because I just don't know if he's competent enough. And granted he has what I consider to be the most talented quarterback of all time during the football And that's the part of me that's like it really sucks because, like Aaron, I've had Rogers and far of in my in the division with the Bears for such a long time, and I appreciate the hell out of both those guys. Like Brett Favre is a warrior, he was more of a gunslinger, But Aaron Rodgers the most talented quarterback I've ever seen play the game. And I would love nothing more than Rogers to like show the world like I am an elite quarterback, Like what do you like? People are like so downplaying Aaron Rodgers this year, Like even in fantasy football, he's falling to like the fourth or fifth quarterback off the board this year, and I'm like, did you guys forget who this guy is? Like just because of one bad year? And and by the way, we're calling it a bad year. He had twenty five touchdowns and two interceptions.
Speaker 1: Also, he was playing on one leg the whole year. I mean, you know, that's everybody's kind of forgetting that, and that is also sort of the point.
Speaker 2: And I agree with you. I mean, Rogers.
Speaker 1: You know, we talk about best quarterback you know, of all time all the time, and there's the whole Brady thing, of course, but Rogers is certainly, if not the best, but the most talented maybe quarterback of all time, and he can do things with the football that really nobody else in the game can do. To me, man, Look again, part of it is anecdotal, and it really is. I mean again, but I just feel like this is going to be the year. This is going to be a big year for them. And I agree, I'm not a Matt Lafleur fan, but I don't really care. I just think that things are going to be so much better for them. And again, I think Mike McCarthy has been a terrible coach for a long time, as you said. And they were still, of course a very successful football team. I mean, they didn't win they only won one Super Bowl, but they were a good team year after year, and I think Rodgers has enough to do that. Now I'll back with a good defense. I really think that they're going to get over the nine. And again I really to me, I could be wrong here, but I really just I don't see them being a five hundred football team. I see them at least getting to nine wins, which again to me, means fine, I'm safe. It's a push. No matter what happens after that, I think we're gonna be out.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So when you have an A league quarterback like him, a nine wins as well within reach for sure. It's just getting to that ten that's a problem.
Speaker 1: I think that that is a fair point, especially because again I'm also bullish on the Vikings and I'm not bearish on the Bears. Hey that worth, but you know, I'm I'm not probably you know, I think the numbers probably right. I might go under for the eight wins, but we'll see, all right. So are there any other over unders that stuck out to you as something that you think would be enticing or were those really the three that caught your eyes?
Speaker 3: Those were the ones that were really big, Like, like I said, the Giants, I would have taken the under on the Giants. I also got down to the forty nine ers at seven and a half wins, and I was like, I think I'd go the under on that.
Speaker 2: I mean, Cole, they had a bad day. They had a bad day today. Tags.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you you know McKinnon, I saw that, you know, sounds like he may need to go on the IR because they can't place him back on the pup list. He's dealing with some problems. I think was Jason Barrett.
Speaker 3: Verrett, He's they're saying it's an angle sprain, but I think they did sign someone in order to like at least have a body, and that's that's terrible because they.
Speaker 2: Have zero depth a corner right exactly.
Speaker 3: That's why I was wondering. It's like, you guys just have to a punter. What was it in the fourth round And I was like, wait, you guys could have taken some cornerback depth, Like what are you doing?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: I felt like that's a roster that. I mean, their front seven got a lot better this offseason, so that's always a positive, but the back end is not good. Jimmy Garoppolo we still never seen him play over well over an entire season. Kyle Shanahan, while he was a great offensive coordinator, I think there's certain people in his life, like in this world, that are just destined to be coordinators rather than head coaches. And I'm not saying that Kyle Shanahan is one of those because he's had a lot of injuries to his key players. But it's very possible. Like think about it, Hugh Jackson was considered a really good offensive coordinator, and he was like one of the worst head coaches of all time. I just think certain guys would just handle the jobs so much better when they could focus just on their offense. I hope Kyle Shanan's not one of those guys, because I wanted to see him succeed in that role. But seven and a half wins, I mean, when you have the Rams, the Seahawks, I mean, the Cardinals are whatever. They could be a surprise team this year if that offense takes.
Speaker 1: Actually held on held on before that's exactly right. I do want to ask you a little bit before you know we start wrapping up here. I do want to ask you about some of the other teams. The Cardinals are at five games. What do you think about the over under und.
Speaker 3: I actually debated saying the over on the show. And then I was looking at their schedule and I was going through like pickout games, and there was only like four that I could say like, I for sure saw them winning. But the thing is is they they can surprise, Like absolutely, I feel like that's a team where they can catch teams by surprise. You know, they're playing Detroit week one, and Detroit they can beat Detroit, all right. They played Baltimore in Week two. That's another that's a run heavy team. The Baltimore defense lost a lot of pieces this year. I think they can potentially surprise Baltimore, not saying they will win that game. Carolina, again, that's a team that's re building. Get like they've gotten a lot younger. They should. That should be a pretty good game between those two teams. They have Cincinnati and that, so it's like if they get off to a little hot start, it's like they could build some momentum. I could see six and ten for them one hundred percent. But it's just do I want to put money on it? Because I don't. I So when Kyler Murray was drafted the number one overall, I didn't think that he in most draft classes, he would not have been number one overall. I think this is a week class. I'm not a huge Kyler Murray guy. I might be wrong on that, but what I saw in college was a guy that didn't anticipate his throws very much. He basically had he bought time with his legs. He did have a good offensive line there, he had a receiver that can shake loose if any defender and Marquis Brown if he bought some time and he just waited till players were open too much. There was no anticipation like in a route. And I don't know how that's gonna work. I know Kingsbury people are excited about it, and it might work, you know, the air raid offense, the four or five wide receiver sets, whatever you want to do. But that's where it's like the whole Chip Kelly business where it's like, you know, nobody really knows what they're doing and they are gonna They're not showing anything the preseason from what we understand, so.
Speaker 1: Right, but you know, Kelly was successful when he first came in, I mean catch up, right, and but it took it took a year, It took a couple of years. That's that's kind of how why I You know, the way you have described your feeling on the Cardinals is exactly how I feel, because I really wanted to take the number over five. I mean that is such a lot number. Yeah, you've already named a couple of normal games. They also they played the Giants. I mean, they can beat the Bucks. You know, you we really don't necessarily know what that's gonna be, and they really can kind of surprise you. But it is again another one where I just said, I just can't do it because I just I don't feel confident enough in what's going to go on. And again the rest of the division, as you said, the forty nine ers, I kind of feel the same way as you do. But what I mean, look, the the Seahawks are at eight and a half. Would you go over under them?
Speaker 3: I'd probably say over. I mean, like they've lost so much on defense. But Pete Carroll just always gets it done.
Speaker 1: I mean, Wilson's never had a losing record, right, right, He's always had nine wins or more.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: And again, we kind of expected the same thing last year. We expected that major decline.
Speaker 3: Boom's gone and they still they still won nine games.
Speaker 1: I know, now they've got no Doug Baldwin, you know, and and NOWHEREL Thomas and everything like that, but you know, they just do it every year. So it's really tough to see them, especially in their home park. And I do want to say one because I can almost guarantee that we're going to disagree on this one. But what would you do with the Rams at ten and a half again?
Speaker 3: I have to go under on that one.
Speaker 2: I I'd go over. I'd go over.
Speaker 1: Honestly, it's I don't feel super super strongly about them. I don't necessarily expect them to win thirteen games again. And you know, in the end it comes down a little bit too. That's a giant number, Okay. I mean as much as you're like, well they won thirteen eleven wins is a giant number, It'll just basically be like, this is what's going to happen one hundred percent agree, especially again in you know, with having to face Seattle, it's going to be good. And you've got the question mark around Gurley's knee. But I mean even last year, man CJ. Anderson like just you know, just came off the street kind of and just rumbled for one hundred and sixty seven yards against the Cards and one hundred and thirty two against the forty nine ers, and we cut back and you know, they they I know they've lost some Dominican Sue and la Marcus Joiner, but they added Clay Matthews and Eric Weddle. To me, I just I kind of feel like they're gonna have another big season. You get another year from GoF, You've still got Wade Phillips on the defense, still got Aaron Donald. I kind of just feel like they're gonna go over. But again, this is one all of these on the NFC West, they're all where I feel like I have an opinion, but I can't really do it, you know what I mean, I can't pull the trigger on being like this is one that I feel confident in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would. It's tough for me to say any team wins eleven games, like I understand it's definitely possible losing Domakan Sue up front. I think that defense is the weak point. I think that, and it's also it could be like we're in it for the long run type thing where it's like they've talked about resting Gurley and if they do that and you know Darryl Henderson isn't the player that they thought he was going to be, or you know, they lose a step without Todd Gurley that offensive line. They lost two starting offensive linemen this offseason. That's a problem. Like there's things that are changing with that team. And it's just to me, it's like ten and six is cool, but like eleven and five, you're like, man, it's You're like, Seattle's gonna beat you one of those games. You know, you just know that's gonna happen. It's like, does Arizona eke out a win against them? And I know that LA actually has a really easy schedule at the start the year, and then like it gets tougher at the end. So I don't know, man, it's just so tough to project somebody for That's why I went New Orleans under ten and a half because I just can't. I can't project them for eleven.
Speaker 2: No, I agree with that.
Speaker 1: Okay, how about we do this send Neither one of us is willing, of course, to put any actual money on this, So how about we make a little friendly wager then on over under ten and a half for the rams. I'll take the over, you take the under, and the loser can get something for the winner from Pristine Auction.
Speaker 3: Sounds like a deal.
Speaker 1: Okay, good That actually leads me, which is good to our August contest, because I mean, look, if you've listened to Tags on the Fantasy Pros podcast, you've heard about Pristine Auction before.
Speaker 2: They're great.
Speaker 1: They auction off a ton of sports memorabilia, and if you are not familiar with them, you can probably go to Tags's house or my house and you would see a ton of stuff because we love it there and at We're gonna do a little contest here involving Christine Auction for August, and we are going to give away a full sized autographed Christian McCaffrey helmet. So all you need to do to be entered into the contest is to leave a review for the show on either iTunes or Stitcher and send a screenshot of that review to contest at Bettingpros dot com. At the end of August, we're gonna randomly choose a winner. And guys, understand this. This is literally the inaugural episode, which means absolutely nothing to Tags, but is like the highlight of my life. You don't start a podcast with a ton of reviews that are already sitting there. I mean, if you guys go to leave a review, you might be one of the first ten people to leave a review. So it's not as if there are hundreds of people right now who are going to be entering this contest. Go ahead, leave a review and screenshot it and send it to a contest at bettingpros dot com at the end of August. We are going to pick a winner. And if you are the winner, please make sure to at me on Twitter with a picture the helmet because I kind of want to see it myself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm getting a free Christian McCaffrey helmet and like having like maybe like a one to twenty five chance for like.
Speaker 2: Come on that, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: And I said this, you know, I you know, I host you know, the Leading Off podcast for baseball, And that was sort of something that I wanted to stress because when you're a new podcast, you're not sitting there with a ton of reviews because you have just started. You can go ahead, leave her you and send it in and right it might be twenty five people it might be fifty people. It takes two seconds and you can win an autographed Christian McCaffrey helmet. I mean, that's awesome. I'm out here, you know, obviously bidding to try to you know, pay for signed memorabilia, and if you can win it for free, there's really no reason not to so tags. I mean, I'm a little miffed because this was obviously not as important to you as it was to me. But I really I can't thank you enough for joining me today. You know basically about as much about football as pretty much any personal live except Chad Pennington, who not only knows football but also great hair. As I said, but I really love getting your take. I really hope that we can talk more this season, and again, thanks for coming on and for probably being wrong on the RAMS bet and giving me something great from Christine Auction.
Speaker 3: It was my pleasure and I look forward to you paying your end of the bet at the end of the year.
Speaker 1: Never gonna happen, buddy. Well, before diving back into some other bets that we like for this season, for our next episode, as I mentioned, we're going to be talking to Dustin Galker about the sports betting landscape, generally where we are, where we're headed, things like that. It's going to be a great show, so make sure you subscribe to the podcast so you don't miss an episode.
Speaker 4: I'll talk to you then.
Speaker 1: The fat and had cost them