Speaker 1: Coming up on the game plan we are back from the bye weeks, means we sit down with head coach Dan Quinn talk about our matchup against the New Orleans Saints and to end the show, we're talking must watch matches to get a win out in New Orleans. All that more on the game Glen, welcome me in our head coach Dan Quinn. After the bye week, Coach, I just spent you a bi week.
Speaker 2: Man was chilling.
Speaker 3: Honestly, looked at the team, you know some things that we may need moving forward, and but most importantly, man, for the guys, it was it was awesome for them to have that break in time, just to disconnect, just for a moment, and you felt that energy when they came back into the building on Monday, like first day back at school, energy doing what you know, and just that kind of connection and like let's go to work. It was a cool feeling seeing that kind of connection already taking place.
Speaker 4: And I think a lot of fans don't understand, like you know, like my dad for examples, like oh, they should have work the whole bye week, they should take Can you talk about why you give them the time off and then why Monday is so important you kind of set the week off and get ready for that Wednesday practice.
Speaker 3: I think it's probably worth noting like our times together as players and coaches are so intense. It is just that type of all the time, and you need after thirteen weeks straight of it, you need just admitt it to breathe and then refill. And so for a number of the players and coaches, quite honestly, the batteries were in the red and they needed to plug in and get back in the green. And the way that you set up to recapture all the stuff you want to is when you begin Monday, you're back and you're not into the game plan yet. It's literally about you reconnected and get all the things you want to work on. Set it up to throw a great week, and you have a bonus practice we call it on Monday, and that's where it begins, and that's where you set the agenda of what you want to get done. You know a little bit of big picture, and then quickly you bring it right back into the week.
Speaker 1: Because you talk about the buye we being a chance to recharge with other guys have recharged and we're here on game day. What do you expect to see from them taking on too only states after this extra rest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what I'm hoping that you and the fans and our family see is relentless speed.
Speaker 2: And finishing with them without the ball.
Speaker 3: And that means that plays down the field, the backside receiver trying to go get it, you know, the pass protection all the way through running through your gap and through it through the tackle. That type of speed and relentless energy, that's what I expect us to see and everybody to feel that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I think the one thing about you know late by is like you said, it is like people are in the red. Then it's kind of like re like re ramping back up and getting into it. So how do how does the coaching leadership, how does the player leadership make sure you get that result today of kind of you know, everything you've done this season behave just a little break, but now we're.
Speaker 2: Back at it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't want to assume anything, sure, And so let's talk right about it right up front. And the way I saw the team after thirteen weeks. If you're thinking about like a climbing like everest, you go to base camp and we're not here.
Speaker 2: At the bottom of the mountain.
Speaker 3: You know, as you're moving up, then you charge everything kend just for the next one, and then for the next one, and then for the next one, and you just get a little stronger, and you get a little stronger to the next one and you get a little stronger. And so that's what we want to do. You know, you're within striking distance, but it's still a long way off, so you don't think about everything four or five weeks from now. How do we just capture our style and play into this game. And that's why the value of the individual game is so important because you can put all of it into that game.
Speaker 4: I like the climbing metaphor because it is one step at a time and it really keeps you very prescient, like, hey, I got to focus on this step in front of the next one. All there is, Yeah, and I think that's a really smart way of looking at it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't have to can't play in those games yet, and so the only way that happens getting better and relentlessly chasing that.
Speaker 2: And so that's what we want to see.
Speaker 3: And there's plenty of things as a position group to get better individually as a player and as a coach, and so now we put those things into action, like not just I want to what's the actual things you're going to do to say.
Speaker 2: I'm going to get better.
Speaker 3: And if you watch the guys pre practice and post practice, there's some specific things that they're working on and that's part of their skill work to say I'm getting.
Speaker 2: Better at this over the next month. And coach.
Speaker 1: Before we get into today's game against the Saints, we got to give Bobby Wagner his flowers. He was nominated to be the Walter Paytman of the Year for this team. New guy, first time with this team. What does that mean to you when you see a guy like that Garner, all that respect and admiration from a team he just got on.
Speaker 3: I think it's the colliding of when a man has his off the field world in order and they're on the field world in order, and they mesh and that's what you see. And it's no surprise that the on the field is strong because of the detail he puts into it. It's also no surprise that the off the field is strong because of the care of who he is and what he looks after. So he's not somebody with a lot of words, but he is about that action and I love that about him because when he says he's going.
Speaker 2: To deliver, he delivers.
Speaker 1: And Bobby's about that action is so is the rest of this linebacker course. So let's look at the Saints right now. What do you expect to see from our linebacker's going up against the offense like the Norman Saints.
Speaker 3: Well, and Logan can tell you that this is a really accomplished running team. And for fans who've been in the past, can think about from Mike Shanahan's tenure here wide zone, really sprinting off the ball with guys like alf and Clint that could really stretch it and put their foot in the ground and get vertical. And that's honestly, you know what they do. And so when you see that type of burst and speed from the line, that's where the linebackers, the safeties, the defensive ends, they've got to make sure they're setting the edge and allow these linebackers to get downhill.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you talked about the outside game, and you know a guy that is really good at it, and maybe you know kind of in this top five running back, top ten running back kind of environment is Alvin Kamara. And not only can he do it, you know, touching the football as a runner, but he gets a lot of targets as a pass catcher, and I just it puts you in a lot of conflict and you talk about him and how you kind of manage a talent like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's he's so unique.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's got rare balance, and that as a running back is so critical. Not just the decisiveness to put your foot in the ground and get vertical, but the gap can be this small and he can just have this tremendous balance to stay alive and to go. But he's just as explosive as a pass catcher, and not just in a screen game or a checkdown, but he can run the routes down the field. So certain players garner special attention and recognition, and he is one of those players. And it's proven and man for the Saints for a long time, they've had really outstanding running back play, not just three I'm trying like.
Speaker 2: Looking back twenty years.
Speaker 3: You know from Reggie and Sprolls and Ingram and now Kamara and others that have you know played well there through the years.
Speaker 2: But his ability in the passing.
Speaker 3: Game is significant, Logan, and it's a matchup, it's you know, how do you defend him?
Speaker 2: And so he is an excellent player and.
Speaker 1: Coach, you mentioned the passing game, so let's look at that. We'll be facing a backup quarterback. Derek Carr just got her. He won't be playing.
Speaker 2: How does that affect the game plan?
Speaker 1: When you know you're going to get a backup quarterback that hasn't played much, you really emphasize the system.
Speaker 2: And most of the time the system.
Speaker 3: Stays consistent and you you know, may feature a few more plays one side or another. But the hardest time is when they played differently. And that you know, if you think back to when like, for instance, Cam Newton at the Panthers in his backup I believe it was like Derek Anderson and one was playing drop back and Cam could do a lot of things exceptional, but there were different in this instance. These quarterbacks all have the ability to get out on the edge on keepers. They're all good play pass you know, guys that can you know, action and throw the ball down the field. And so system wise, we're expecting that to feel the same.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think you know, when you're talking about the system, I think if you were going to characterize it for fans, you talked about the outside zone stuff, But in terms of maybe some of the play action or keeper stuff drop back, is there something there that kind of you say, this is like the defining feature. Like in the run game it's outside zoned. In the past game.
Speaker 3: It's X yeah, and it's the downfield throw the slogan and to block up six or seven and a protection to throw the ball down the field, you know on big shots. That's to me what makes you know a really good run action, play pass, marry together and so they're capable of the big ones down the field.
Speaker 1: And Coach, we can't talk enough about this offensive line and the cohesion we've seen. Hear that brotherhood we've seen for this offensive line. What have you seen from their development as we go in since today's game.
Speaker 3: Seeing them work all together at practice, that's what you know. It carries over into the game. And so having this whole week of these guys all getting all the reps together, their communication. If you are standing by the line of scrimmage, you're hearing constant talk and the best of the best can do that to know quickly looks change and things happen. It might even be just by an alignment of a player. Hey, this is going to happen. And so the guys that can process really really quickly and still be violent and fast off the ball, those are the best offensive lineman because you have to be able to think quick on your feet, you have to be able to react, and then you do have to be able to finish. And so there's a number of these guys that are getting a lot of reps at these same plays over and over again. And that's why now we should really start to take off and be at our best moving forward because of the extra reps that we've had.
Speaker 4: And a guy that to me, like in Bodies that is Tyler Beattish and you know you knew him in Dallas and like you understood what he was and you know, I'm always kind of a center hater. You can put anybody at center, but you really see the value that he's brought to this group from a leadership, from a compete, from a toughness standpoint. Can you just talk about what he's meant to this group and how he's potentially kind.
Speaker 2: Of elevated elevated this group in my opinion.
Speaker 3: You know, it's interesting Logan when you're not in a leadership position. You know, even though you've played and he was behind some fantastic behind offense line to like Zach Martin's a fantastic offensive line and who is their guard? And here in his voice, well, Tyron Smith. And so you don't step out as much. But coming into a new spot, you know, this is what we are requiring of you. And so it was a little uncomfortable for him to step into something as a leading voice. Same with Nick Allegh ready to say okay, I'm ready to have that voice and to take him in and early on it's uncomfortable to lead. But the more you do it, people are listening and they're following, and that to me is where I've seen the growth from him as well.
Speaker 1: And coach talk about people listening. Man, we listened to all the oppresses, like listen to him like that a bible. And you one thing you said was that you want to improve on the turnover margin for this team.
Speaker 2: How do you accomplish that today? It's a team stat.
Speaker 3: So what I do appreciate right now for offense, we are we're conscious of the ball, you know, we're making good decisions with the football, and we're not putting it at harm's way. Jaden especially, you know, as somebody that's mindful of it puts it in the right spot to go offensively. The guy's taking care of the ball defensively, we've got to find a way to knock it out more to we've had our hands on some and that's not the same. You have to deliver on the catch, and so it's not a would a kulda shoulda. But how do we practice delivering that? And so there's ball drill's pre practice, post practice. Not in the same way of you and I throwing catch. But my eyes are turned. I have to glance at the last second to try to catch just the flash of the ball. I have to catch it on the over my head in different ways, down low, by the ground, because you don't catch them here as a defensive back or a linebacker. You catch the ball way over here, you catch it down by the floor, you catch it diving, and that's how you get better at getting interceptions.
Speaker 1: And guys, it's crazy to say just four games left in the season, coach, what do you want to see from your commanders during this final stretch.
Speaker 3: Well, you clearly were not listening earlier. All I am worried about this game. We're going back to base camp for you, Brian. You know, like, honestly, that's what I want to throw a great week man, I want to throw a great game.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: Absolutely have a blast with these guys, like together they have created a really awesome place to play in coach football, and so I don't want to miss it. I'm not looking down the line. I'm not wishing for something else. I want to throw a great game today and kick some ass and then come back and try to do it again.
Speaker 1: Well, Coach, we are in no rush as a show man.
Speaker 2: I'm always listening to you, Coach all the top. Clearly not.
Speaker 1: You so much for your time. Now, you guys got to get into that firm room. So we'll let you get to that, right, Commands, Family, we know you are enjoying the game plan. However, if you want to see Coach and Logan Paul said break down plays in the film room, you could check that out on the Commander's YouTube page. Now, Command is family our ticket to him win on He's must watch match.
Speaker 2: Logan only got seventy seconds.
Speaker 4: You're ready Yeah, I got hurt you Fowler versus Flogg and again, this guy's gonna be a good pro for a long time. He's a really good physical inline blocker, but struggles a little bit with the speed rusher gives up that outside hand. Fouler, I think with all the speed, he's got to give this guy a tough matchup. And I'm going to check them some sacks for the old head right here.
Speaker 2: Hey, Foulo is having a career here.
Speaker 1: A lot of it has to do with our next one, Joe Junior.
Speaker 2: Joe a journey versus Alvin Kamara.
Speaker 4: And the reason it's the defensive coordinator versus the running back is because this guy leads the team in targets, leads the team and carries. He really is their offense right now, and it's going to take all eleven guys, plus the coordinator and the scheme to slow this guy down. It's going to be an awesome magic because you stop him, you stop their offense.
Speaker 1: Saints Tampton rushing in the NFL, And our last one, Logan, Yeah.
Speaker 4: We got Brandon Coleman and Garter and Greaterson. Excuse me, this guy is a blue collar snapped the whistle kind of guy.
Speaker 2: Love the way he plays.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be such a unique challenge because nobody plays the game as hard as Granerson. So I can't wait to watch Coman go toe to toe with this guy.
Speaker 1: Great test for Brandon Coleman and a great test for our commanders as we take on the New Orleans Saints. For head coach Dan Quinn, Logan Paulsen, and Brian Covid Jr.
Speaker 2: This is the game plan. Let's get this w today. We'll see y'all next Sunday.
Speaker 1: Commanders, family, you could catch us every Sunday on WSA nine Sunday mornings before your games. This is game plan with Brian Covid Jr. And Logan Paulson, he coach Dan Quinn until next Sunday. Commander's family.
Speaker 2: Yeah,