Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: From New York City, the only city in America. It's the show that you say, you news. This is the daily show with your host. You'll say slue, I pray lovesome to that daily show.
Speaker 3: I'm your host that.
Speaker 4: They as around at a real one hosts a daily show. Okay, listen, we've got a great show for you tonight. So let's get into the headline. Let's kick things off with some big news.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: First of all, today is Joe Biden's eighty first birthday or yeah, Oughtopoulo Sam Biden's too old and he's like that, I'm gonna get even older. There were so many candles on his cake, I thought it was another Canadian wildfire. But enough about one of the world's oldest leaders, because we've got breaking news about one of its newest.
Speaker 5: Argentina is waking up to a new president, one who has the stamp of approval from Donald Trump. A massive political shakeup in Argentina. How You're Malay, a far right economist and television personality, joined the political frages three years ago. Now he's in charge of the third largest economy in America as it teeters on the edge of disaster. Bala rode to power on a wave of popular discontent over a stagnating economy with a forty percent poverty rate and inflation during one hundred and fifty percent. He became known for his unorthodox showmanship during the campaign, wielding a chainsaw that symbolizes war on government spending, threatening vital public services.
Speaker 6: Mini avoid a a. I mean, he st aid, we.
Speaker 4: Aforida, hang on evil Austin Powers wants to get rid of the environment, women and culture. That's everything you need to have a country. But I mean, of course this guy got elected. He had a chainsaw. You can't say no to somebody holding a chain saw. That's how I get my seat on the subway.
Speaker 1: First Trump.
Speaker 4: Now this, how come every time a TV personality gets elected they're a psychod paths. Why can't y'all vote for someone good like Steve Harvey. Look, the man's got a thousand jobs. What's one more side gear? And the guy isn't just a normal right wing guy. He's a weird dude. He carries a chainsaw around, he cloned his dog. He's a tantric sex coach. Why a tantric set coach is always ugly. Imagine this human pile of mashed potatoes standing naked in front of you, saying, don't yet, like sir, I promise you I won't. In fact, I'd like to go. But as weird as he is, the inflation in that country is insane, So I get it. You'd vote for this middle age wherewolf too. If the price of milk was the same as a Beyonce ticket at It's worst inflation in America with nine percent. In Argentina it's one hundred and forty three percent. I mean that's a difference of I went to Georgia public school.
Speaker 6: But listen, I know that's not.
Speaker 4: Good, right as a theater marrier, don't ask me math questions, right, But I don't know if this is the guy to fix their economy, how can he control inflation when he can't control his own side burns. I mean, it looks like this Argentinian needs a Brazilian. So let's move on to some consumer news. This week, We're all going to the grocery store to stop up for Thanksgiving Turkey sweet potatoes and hopefully canberrys off and I can. Nobody wants to eat that fancy shit with real cranberries in it. Ooh, but this year when you go to check out, you might notice something different, like a real life person.
Speaker 3: And a possible shift in the shopping experience when it comes to the self checkout line. In October, the Atlantic declared self checkout a failed experiment. Retailers are taking note, and some are making big changes. In England, a grocery store chain called Booths is now getting rid of all self checkout.
Speaker 1: In all of its stores.
Speaker 3: In September, Walmart announced that it will remove the self checkout lanes from some stores. Retailers may be motivated here by their bottom line. The rate of theft is about double in self checkout lanes.
Speaker 1: Thank god, thank god?
Speaker 6: I hate suff checkout?
Speaker 7: Last?
Speaker 4: Why am I doing the work?
Speaker 1: I don't work here?
Speaker 6: What's next?
Speaker 4: They're gonna ask us to slice our own deli meat, butcher our own cows, grow our own diet coke? What, sir, I'm a businesswoman, not a farmer. And what if you're too good at self checkout? They come and make you become a manager and you can never leave? And how are they gonna give us a hard time for stealing when they make it so damn easy? I mean, all you do is just press the wrong button, like, oh, I'm getting organic cucumbers for regular cucumber prices.
Speaker 6: O silly, silly.
Speaker 4: Mean back in my day, you had to earn it. You had to sneak a two liter of fan to out the store with your wife, Led James, that's what stealer was staling. And every time I have to look up produce so one of those things, I feel like I'm in a spelling beat, like oh, your word is redicio like ridkio r A, I'm stealing this shit.
Speaker 6: I don't want to.
Speaker 4: And finally, let's talk about artificial intelligence. We all know AI is coming for our jobs, but we didn't know it was coming for our hearts too.
Speaker 8: An AI girlfriend service has stopped working after Forever Voices founder John Meyer was arrested on suspicion of attempting to set his own apartment on fire. Unsurprisingly, users were angry and disappointed at the sudden disappearance of their AI girlfriends. While the service was not originally designed to function as an adult service, Internet users quickly began having sexual conversations with the chatbots, resulting in an AI became increasingly erotic. It's unclear whether users can expect the service to return to operation in the future.
Speaker 4: Hold up, Hold up, So a bunch of dudes lost their AI girlfriends when the owner of the company set his own apartment on fire. How can you trust him with humanity's newest invention when he can't handle humanity's first invention? But this guy gets arrested and suddenly the AI girlfriend stops responding. Hmm, that's suspicious, lex it don't stop from Jeff Bezos takes a nap.
Speaker 1: Makes me think he.
Speaker 4: Was the girlfriends the whole town, and I feel bad for those guys. Having an AI girlfriend has to be harder than having a real girlfriend. Being romantic must be a challenge. You try to take a sexy bubble bath with your laptop and now you're both dead. Or how do you even get her in the mood? Whenever she gets wet, you have to put her in rice.
Speaker 6: Y'all nasty?
Speaker 1: See you're nasty, dude?
Speaker 4: All right? For more analysis on this AI girlfriend tragedy, let's go last Runnie Jay. What all those lonely guys gonna do without that AI girlfriend?
Speaker 2: Easy?
Speaker 9: Don't say we can solve two problems at once. Here Okay, you just take those lonely guys and hire them to be the checkout cashiers. Right. That way, we all get better service, and these guys will have plenty of chances to meet women because, as we all know, women be shopping.
Speaker 4: That's an offensive stereotype running everyone be shopping. And even if these men meet a woman, they still don't know how to talk to one. That's why they need these computer bitches in the first place.
Speaker 9: Okay, look, if these guys love AI women so much, in that case, they can just date the self checked out machine. All right. Look, the machines already have female voices, right, like, who doesn't want to spend a cold winter's night cuddled up hearing someone whisper? Please return your items to the bagging area.
Speaker 4: I just think we got to do something to fast track AI girlfriends to these lonely sexist men before they start on the capitol again.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's fair, But what you have to understand is it's very complicated to program an AI girlfriend, okay, because men are too demanding and insecure. Like the AI girlfriend has to be smart, but not too smart. It has to know everything about Star Wars but still listen to the guy explained Star Wars. It has to be like a dirty slot but also a virgin like in programming. We call this the in cell paradox.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 9: Now, scientists are working hard to solve it, but unfortunately they are also a bunch of loser in cells. And this is why we need more women in stem. Okay, because somebody, please, somebody please these guys.
Speaker 6: All right, I agree those guys.
Speaker 4: I never realized being an AI girlfriend was so complicated.
Speaker 9: Yes, but the good news is an AI boyfriend is very doable, all right. In fact, I already have my own AI boyfriend's startup. We have hundreds of clients. It's very successful. I'm a rich man.
Speaker 4: I didn't know you knew how to program AI software.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, yeah, it was easy. No matter what the girlfriend says, the AI boyfriend just responds with three things. You're right, I'm sorry, and you're right to be mad, Ronnie.
Speaker 4: The idea that a woman only needs to hear three things is ridiculous.
Speaker 9: You're right, I'm sorry, and you're right to be mad. You day.
Speaker 3: Take the good job.
Speaker 4: Period, so don't go. Welcome back in the Daily Show. Since the beginning of time, women have had periods and men have not understood just how bad they are. But recently a company developed a machine that simulates period cramps and better believe. The first thing I did was hook it up to some men.
Speaker 1: Ready I haven't even thirty yet.
Speaker 5: All right, I feel like this, like standing like this helps stand down for a thing.
Speaker 1: Oh, y'all didn't know that.
Speaker 6: Do you think you would do work right now?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 9: I don't.
Speaker 4: It's just that sick.
Speaker 9: This is like just like part of the day.
Speaker 6: This is all day in swing.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 4: Imagine you're nauseous, but you're hungry, and now your head hurts, but your hurts and you're full.
Speaker 3: I can't even hear what you're saying.
Speaker 1: I think you can go to work with that? Yeah maybe maybe you just cough. I can get through it.
Speaker 6: So you feel like you could do this all day like it's not that bad?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 11: Well how about you do this all day, this period all day?
Speaker 6: Oh? Oh you good? Yeah? Yeah, it's good?
Speaker 7: Oh god?
Speaker 11: What twice as their?
Speaker 12: Josh, that's the job job?
Speaker 6: Where did you go? Josh? So, Josh, what's wrong?
Speaker 1: Listen?
Speaker 4: It's the end of the day, friend, and I just want to tell you congratulations.
Speaker 6: You made the whole day on your period.
Speaker 4: So I'm gonna give you the same prize.
Speaker 6: Women get well amot something? What is it? More work?
Speaker 12: But you you thought we got something else. No, welcome to the woman, hud bir. How long you get some raspberry leak tea? There's some hobby profen, I hear it.
Speaker 7: Wont there's one, two, there's four, there's six eights. Okay, this is ten.
Speaker 13: Stupid.
Speaker 6: Let me come back back.
Speaker 10: To Harrison will be joining me on the show, so bo all it. Welcome back to the Daily Show.
Speaker 4: My guest tonight is an award winning bestselling author and illustrator whose picture book is called Big Please welcome Dashy Harrison.
Speaker 6: Trying to sit there.
Speaker 4: Okay, hi, Hi, thank you for coming. Thanks for having me when it's steal your jacket. First of all, I love this book.
Speaker 7: I love, love love this book.
Speaker 4: Oh okay, cry. The illustration for this book are beautiful and I was looking through it it made They're very emotive and it actually made me think of looking at a memory. I think it's the best way to look at it because like in the book, there's no I like an illustration that there's on like lines like usually when you see like a cartoon or an illustration, it's like, oh, this is a drawing, right, And I think the idea that it gave me was like always looking back. And so when you're doing a book like this, like what comes first? The drawings are the text.
Speaker 13: For me, it happens at the same time. But drawing is always where I get my ideas. But what you're picking up on is something that I absolutely put into the book. I wanted it to feel soft, wanted it to feel really internal. So I hope that that comes through for everybody.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what I thought.
Speaker 4: Because we're like, well, it's beautiful, and I was like, no, this looks like because it's like the like, this is the first book that you've written and illustrated, And was it scary to do both of those?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 13: Absolutely. So I've written nonfiction before, and so I can feel really excited and proud to share the stories of other people, especially incredible people from history.
Speaker 2: But to share.
Speaker 13: Something about my life that came from, you know, something really internal and to put that all on the page is terrifying. It's scary to write things and share them with people, but that's the process of making art.
Speaker 4: Don't want a stand up comment, so it's like, oh, I hope these words I say people like them, cause it's like as a comic, the first time you go on stage with the joke, it's like for information, like I need to know if this is funny or not.
Speaker 1: And then every time you do the.
Speaker 4: Joke it's for confirmation, so like, I know the joke is funny, I just need you to catch up to where I am.
Speaker 1: Like, I know I'm doing But.
Speaker 4: The first of the couple of times you're like, hey man, I don't know if I said these words right. I don't know if they're gonna like the words in this order, and then you got to figure out and sometimes it's like it.
Speaker 7: Just don't work.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 13: Doing events for kids is the sort of like the same thing. I feel like I'm doing stand up waiting for their jokes, waiting for them to connect with the story, and if they don't like it, then I haven't done my job correctly.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I used to do kids' birthday parties. I've had a lot of jobs.
Speaker 4: Every time I'm in the office, they're like, you used the work where I'm like, hey, man, don't worry about that.
Speaker 1: You asked them too many questions.
Speaker 4: But making stuff for kids is hard because you have to keep their attention and you have to keep their focus. So obviously the title big connotes like a physical size, but in the book, big means that and like a lot more. So can you talk about what the bigness means here?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 13: I was thinking a lot about how we as adults use words with children. When kids are young, we use big as a word of affirmation. We say you're such a big girl, you're a big girl now, and that's a good thing. But typically with girls and all children, changes meaning and I wanted to trace how that word can go from a word of affirmation into something different for a child's life.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, because I remember being a big girl and being a big girl. Yeah, and when that day happens, I think you're like, I don't know, eleven, and then it's like, oh.
Speaker 13: You're such a big girl, Like oh, she's a big, big girl, right, and you remember that?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Because like that Why it was so interesting to me, because like this is in my autobiographical right, So the main character gets stuck in like a baby swing and y'all have seen the baby swing at a swing set, and you know, thought like I shouldn't get in this thing, but you did try, like we all tried. So is this something that actually happened to you, like getting stuck in that swing?
Speaker 13: Yes, So the girl in the book is not me. She doesn't have a name, but the experience of getting stuck in the swing was real, and it happened to me, and I I remember it. I remember the fear and the anxiety and the shame that I felt as a young child, and I wanted to kind of make a book that acknowledged that those feelings are big and sometimes can trap us in and box us in, and express how those feelings can be really overwhelming for a young person.
Speaker 4: So why doesn't she have a name? Because I was reading the book because this is a page turner, even at my big age.
Speaker 1: Why doesn't she have a name?
Speaker 13: Well, I didn't want her story to be mine. I wanted many people to be able to look at the girl in this book and maybe connect with her, feel empathy for her, and thusly feel compassion for her experience. But when I started writing it, I really wanted it to be a wordless book. Right now, there's only a handful of book words in the book, but you know it would have been great to just tell everything through the pictures.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I was like looking at it and I think because it looks like a memory, and it's a little girl that looks like me, and because she didn't have a name, I was like, oh, I remember being on the swing set and being so afraid to try to get in it and try to get in that baby swing. No mind you we've all seen the baby swing, and if you're not a baby, you really have no business trying to get in this baby But I would see other girls get into it, and I'm just like, oh, where is the rest of her legs?
Speaker 6: Why are her legs?
Speaker 4: She's nine, Why are her legs only as big as a toddler? Like, we shouldn't be upset that I'm so big. Why she's so small? Somebody called somebody because I feel like she needs help at home. But that was my way of like processing the fact that this nine year old girl could fit in no baby swing and I couldn't. Because I love the use of the color pink in the book. Is that where you add in like the softness or was it because it was a classic like girl color? And she's a dancer like, what was the choice to use the color?
Speaker 13: There were a couple of different reasons. The main character is a dancer. She loves ballet. Typically when I work on a book, I usually assign a color to a character and try to use that to build a palette. And specifically in this book, we're in her world, so everything is that color of pink. I wanted it to be a symbol for sweetness and innocence, but also in color psychology, pink is associated with gentle love and care, and that's everything that I want for this girl.
Speaker 4: So you were trying to give her the moment because I think a lot of times, as like girls, especially black girls, were given womanhood much older than we should be, right, And because I think for me, I got womanhood much older than I should because I was well, let's just say when I was nine years old, I had like seas, right, So the first time I hit a man hit on me, I was nine, but but id big boobs, and I was wearing a suit, so because I couldn't wear little girl clothes because they didn't make little girl clothes in women's sizes, So I was looking at size nine shoes in a suit, and this man comes in and it's like, what's your name? And I had to turn around and go, I'm nine, and he was like.
Speaker 1: No, what are your name? And my mother went what the hell?
Speaker 4: And he ran out of a Miami playlist and so without going at first why does she look like this? And then he ran outside. But it was like when you're built like a because I was also like four, I was five feet tall. So when you look like a tiny woman or you're the size of a whole woman, but you're nine, everyone's like, well, you should have all these responsibilities.
Speaker 7: And it's like, but I.
Speaker 4: Got dolls for Christmas, so I'm not a double digit age but everyone's like, you get all this responsibility. And I think it's like, that's why I like looking at this, because I was like, Oh, this is.
Speaker 1: The girls should it have because we should get to be little. So I think I'm gonna ask you the next question.
Speaker 13: I do want to touch on that. Hi, I want to talk about it. I want to talk about that because one of the main reasons I wanted to write this story was to touch on this subject of adultification bias, the adultification of black girls.
Speaker 1: Early in my.
Speaker 13: Career, I had read the study that came from the Georgetown Law Center on Poverty and Inequality called Girl Had Interrupted that talked about the specific bias that many adults have on black girls. It found that adults viewed black girls as young as the age of five as less innocent and more adult than their white counterparts, and this results in young girls receiving less care and less nurturing. Different things factor into it, including a child's height, age, skin color, body size, and weight. And I just wanted to reclaim space for children to grow, for their bodies to look different, to offer them the innocence and gentleness and care that they deserve for as long as they need it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because then you find out like black girls get out of all like girls in school, they get suspended as a higher rate, exactly as if like they're doing more wrong, but like black children and brown children get suspended at a higher rate because it's like I don't I mean, I don't know if we're throwing hands better than white girls. But it's very interesting because it's like you use the words like creative and compassionate and kind to describe these you know, to describe her character, and it's like I think a lot of times like a young girl. If you're allowed to even be little, you know, you get like a lot of cute or pretty.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 4: Do you think it affected girls to hear different words like compassionate and kind, like giving words that are more described like descriptors of person just adjectives of personality as opposed to like appearance.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 13: I think I just want for all kids to be able to define who they are. Adults will make mistakes, they will say things words that you know, we don't know what's going to stick with kids. But I wanted to clarify for this girl and for any kid that reads this book that you get to choose what's important and real for you, and you don't have to hold on to anything that doesn't define you. You get to decide that for yourself.
Speaker 4: There's one page in here, and I want to know, can I show the page in the book that she.
Speaker 1: Goes through.
Speaker 4: And I'm not going to spoil it for people, because you have to see her grow and grow and the changes that she goes to. But there's one page almost there that I and I think you know exactly the page I'm talking about, where me and our makeup artist Enid was literally crying the makeup room. I don't know if you know how crying in the makeup room works, but it's basically you just tilt your head back and.
Speaker 6: You catch your tears.
Speaker 1: Because Enid is an amazing makeup artist.
Speaker 4: But it's just like, there's souls on my face now. So but the thing that we were just like that made her stop and made me stop. Where the little girl goes to the adults, these are.
Speaker 13: Yours, these are yours. They hurt me.
Speaker 4: And so she's holding words and she said, these are yours, they're hurting.
Speaker 1: And so.
Speaker 4: I think, like that's when I was looking at this, I was like, this is a book for children, because there are a lot of people that make a lot of money, my therapist included, who make a lot of money trying to show adults how to love and care for themselves. And I'm just is there like a grown up version of this book?
Speaker 1: Can we call it? Like still big?
Speaker 13: Like can we.
Speaker 6: How do we.
Speaker 4: Just a little bit at the time? And then there's just a bad bitch at the bottom, Like that's all I'm saying, Just still big, bad bitch at the bottoms. You might be modeled on me, making us diy and I know who you want to choose, but you know, just still big.
Speaker 1: I think that that could be some grown ups may also need help with this.
Speaker 13: So thank you for that for everybody.
Speaker 4: So I have to stop.
Speaker 13: Anybody here, you drop that for me find something for themselves.
Speaker 4: And I think this gonna be good if you have anybody who's working on their self esteem. This, I think this is something that everybody can resonate with, because there's a lot of times where just words of just because they always take you just like sticks and stones to break your bones with words, and I'm like, I can get over a bruise, but like I learned with my ex emotional scars and over here, don't learn from me, don't.
Speaker 1: Listen to me.
Speaker 4: I'm not helpful a lot of the time. But I think that is the main thing. We have to stop telling that lie because I think we say that to children for them to be able to make this defense mechanism, because like you don't remember, like if you remember every time you saw off a bike, you wouldn't get back on a bike, but you remember, like you don't remember what someone said, but you remember how they made you feel for sure, And so because of the words can make you feel a certain way. Even you forget what they said, your body still remembers.
Speaker 13: Yeah, and that's why I think I wanted to show the scene in the book where the words are stuck to the girl. It doesn't happen immediately, it happens, you know, over time, and again, like you just don't know what is going to stick with kids, You can't guarantee that things won't stick to you, but you know, over time you can separate out what's good for you.
Speaker 1: And what isn't.
Speaker 13: I think the page after the age you pointed out is the one that always gets me, which is she hands back the words and says, these are yours. They hurt me. And on the next page some of the people say, well, not everyone understood or even listened, And some of the people say it's not that.
Speaker 7: Serious, it's just a joke.
Speaker 13: You're too sensitive. That's the thing that still still gets me, because I am still that girl who was told that I'm too sensitive for listening to the words that people said to me, for letting them them resonate, and for feeling them. Oh yeah, but that's so real, and kids need often the space and the time to to manage those things.
Speaker 7: Well, You're absolutely right.
Speaker 4: I want to thank you for coming after. That's my show for tonight. Please consider supporting Black Girl's Smiles. They provide mental wellness, education, resources and support geared toward black women and girls. If you can, please donate at the link below and make sure to tune in tomorrow. Will your guest house will be run a Joy.
Speaker 9: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you.
Speaker 6: Get your podcasts.
Speaker 5: Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on fairmounth Plucks. This has been a Comedy Central podcast sw