Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media. Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Hey, everybody, it's Angela Rae. Welcome home. This is a special edition of a solo pod with my good friend, Congressoman Latifa Simon of California's twelfth Congressional District to talk about what in the actual hell happened outside of the Department of Education last week. So we had a conversation that same day to talk about everything that happened and what recourse members of Congress have to protect taxpayer money, taxpayer resources and all of the things, and what is the role of Congress and overseeing this government that is clearly going rogue. So please tune into this conversation I first had on Instagram live. Welcome Home, Happy Friday, y'all. It is a special podcast, non podcast live. We're about to get into what's happening in these DC streets.
Speaker 2: That's what we're about to do.
Speaker 1: You all probably have seen footage of our members of Congress outside of the Department of Education at an all access entrance by the way, and some random was out there and wouldn't let them in. So I am going to add this wonderful human being to this thread. She's here.
Speaker 2: How you doing, sin, I'm good, I'm good. I'm amped up.
Speaker 3: It's been a long week, but this is the work that I'm so blessed to do.
Speaker 1: They're messing with the wrong one and the best coast is out here. So for those of you who do not know, this is Congresswoman Latifa Simon. She represents California's twelfth district, following in the shoes of a deer mentor and sister of ours, the Congresswoman Barbara Lee, and Latifa is a force to be reckoned with. And if y'all didn't see it already today, you will learn quickly. Today, Latifa, you joined members of Congress outside of the Department of Education, and I keep pointing out at an all access interests. Can you talk about why you guys wanted to go down to the Department of Education today.
Speaker 2: And what happened.
Speaker 1: For those who haven't seen the footage yet, well.
Speaker 3: I'm so happy to tell these stories. Sometimes a little clips on the news station. Yes right, don't tell you I didn't have a bullhorn, but I'm a thirty year organizer, so I was screaming. My mom called me and said, stop screaming, and I'm never going to let down for our babies.
Speaker 2: Ever.
Speaker 3: I haven't since I started working in juvenile halls and prisons, in jails when I was seventeen year olds years old, and on the streets of San Francisco and in Oakland. It's what I do, is what you are paying me to do, to not hold back. So a couple of days ago, members of Congress, we wrote a letter to the Department of Education. We have an acting director under the Trump administration, and we asked if we could have a Congress station because here's what happened last week. When federal funding freezes were on the horizon. We were getting thousands of calls from special education teachers, from organizations working and headstart mothers who were like, if they cut off funding, what are we going to do? We got calls from mothers with children with autism saying that they had a full time aid for their children. And with the federal funding freeze arise, and with this threat to close the Department of Education, millions millions of children were literally going to be thrown out of support services. We wrote the letter requesting a meeting. We didn't get a response. We called, so today we came and we rolled up. It is a public building. In fact, everybody on this line is paying a little bit of money every time they get their paychecks to ensure that we all were elected representatives and you yourself.
Speaker 2: Have access to the Department of Education. They literally sent.
Speaker 3: Out a security guard. There were dozens of members of Congress. They sent out a security guard. They locked the doors, and they sent out Homeland Security. You couldn't see that behind those those dark doors, but there was a line of officers from Homeland Security ready to take down members of Congress should we enter. They blocked the building from American citizens.
Speaker 1: And when you do talk about that, just for a moment, here's the thing that was astonishing to me. The first video that I saw Latifa was Queen Maxine, who is some people call her AUNTI max Queen Maxine with her little bit powerful self standing in front of this white man who I think, you know how like they tell you to id people, so my ID might be wrong. He's in a brown shirt like layman's clothes, with like a fluorescent bandage on his neck. So this could be like anybody like I'm like, I don't know if I'm looking at an insurrectionist or a plane police officer. I don't know who this man is in front of Congresswoman Waters, but he's telling her that she can't get in. I remember there was a back and forth of members saying he's a contractor and him telling her that he's an official government employee. Did you all ever resolve that, Like, what's this man even a government worker?
Speaker 3: So what I want you all to understand is what I'm learning to understand. But you already know what we are seeing on Capitol Hill. It is shockhocking because our grandmothers want order.
Speaker 2: Let's just be clear, we want order. We are orderly people.
Speaker 3: We are working for communities that have order and promise. The folks who are in the administration don't believe that anyone should follow the law.
Speaker 2: Clearly, Clearly, if they were.
Speaker 3: Law abiding folk, they wouldn't have let out dozens of folks who attack police officers on January sixth. Regardless what you want to think about law enforcement, the hypocrisy is insane. This man who's playing clothes did not clearly identify himself as somebody who's taught folks who are going up against law enforcement, you always ask them to identify themselves. Their badge he threw out, you know, after questioning some kind of badge.
Speaker 2: Who knew what it was. But he didn't.
Speaker 3: Clearly articulate what department he was working with and who he was, So.
Speaker 1: He continued, he did have a badge, he.
Speaker 3: Saw, he pulled it out. We didn't know what kind of badge it was. Was it made from a printer? You're if you're a member of law enforcement, you know, and you are trying to clearly identify yourself, if you're doing the right thing, You're certainly not supposed to stand in front of a building surrounded by members duly elected members of Congress and look at them smugly. The disrespect was palpable. But the real injury is to.
Speaker 2: The parents on this phone.
Speaker 3: The real injury is we were going to do, I believe the people's business to ask what were we supposed to tell our constituents? What are we supposed to that you all want to close down a department? Then I just give me a couple seconds here about DOE, the Department of Education. They set national standards, not just on basic curriculum, what we should be learning, because that's really that happens at the state level. They set national standards for obedience to federal laws like Ada. So imagine you have a child, your baby is wheelchair bound, and your baby is in California and they can get into any school they have support services. That's the law that California abides by, but it's pushed by the Department of Education. You move back to Arkansas to be closed to your people. If in fact they close down the Department of Education, there are no national standards for accessibility. There are no national standards for entries into our state and local universities.
Speaker 2: There's no financial aid as you've known it. This is critical stuff. I don't care how you vote, who you voted for.
Speaker 3: What I do know is we have babies in our communities who deserve the best. Does the Department of Education need to be stronger and better yes. Do our teachers need to be paid more and trained and loved on and unionized, Yes, But you don't get there from closing down really the essential department that is supposed to provide national standards for our children and our teachers.
Speaker 1: So you, for the people who just join you talked about you all writing this letter last week about what's happening with the Department of Education. A lot of folks who are following the news know that what Donald Trump is talking about doing is shuttering the Department of Education. What we have seen, Latipa, and now I'm talking to you like a sister too. Yeah, what we have seen is a very very clear fight that's easy to follow in the news. On the judicial side, right, a lot of cases there have been thirty six law suit file that I know of so far on the fifty four executive orders and actions from the Trump administration, that's right, has not been as clear, and I'm hearing a lot of pushback about it. You know, I get sensitive because the CBC is my family, the Hills Ranch. One of the things that I keep hearing is that where like, where are the members of Congress? What's going on? Why are they confirming? And this, of course is not that person's not you all, but why is the Senate confirming people like RFK and Tulca Gabbert. Where is the fight?
Speaker 2: Where's the legislation?
Speaker 1: Not understanding necessarily that we don't have the executive branch and we don't have the legislative branch.
Speaker 2: So when you're in.
Speaker 1: The minority, just for a moment for those who are really just starting to understand and pay attention to how this works. When you're in the minority, what does the fight look like? What are you all talking about doing. I know you all are involved with the lawsuits. When you think about as my role as a member from California's twelve, this is what I see my role in being, my role being in this fight right now.
Speaker 2: I think it's three things.
Speaker 3: One, we have to continue to tell folks what it is with love and respect and understanding under a trifecta, like you said, House, Senate right, and honestly, they have the courts. So we still believe, if we will still want to believe in this thinly veiled democracy, we are.
Speaker 2: Going to sue, sue, sue, sue, sue.
Speaker 3: Their organizations like the Lawyer's Committee for Civil Rights under Law and Democracy Forward NAACP. I can go on and out Asian Law Caucus. They are holding this administration to the fire. The judicial system is it's not perfect, but judges have been doing the right thing in the last week and throwing these executive orders right back to the White House and saying this is unconstitutional. This is unconstitutional. That has taken a level of coordination that unfortunately we'd all don't see. But that's why we're having this conversation right now. But two, there's two other things that Congress can do. We can block our votes. We can hold our votes. You don't get votes to racist You don't give votes to folks who.
Speaker 2: Don't care about our children.
Speaker 3: You don't give votes to folks who who don't believe in the most basic of healthcare principles. And we have been doing that in the Senate, and I got to say, my heart has been breaking.
Speaker 2: You don't give votes to.
Speaker 3: Policies that want to send you two thousand pound bombs over to kill twenty thousand children. I think we got to hold the line. And again, we are a part of a body, and our leadership is saying, let's be strategic, and I agree with that. For me, my focus is making sure that one we are heard, our stories are clear, that I am fighting with integrity on the streets and inside the Congress. But more importantly for me, I represent Oakland, I represent Oakland, I represent Berkeley, I represent the Bay, and I need folks to know that one my office is we are day in and day out, and they have a fighter, but more importantly, they have.
Speaker 2: A key this government. This government.
Speaker 3: What's important too for folks who know who are on the ground. These funding freezes affected federally qualified health centers.
Speaker 2: You know, the health centers right in.
Speaker 3: Your community that you'd rather go to sometimes in the hospital, that are wonderful, that have positions that look like us. Those folks this week didn't know if they were going to get paid. So I've been meeting with our health centers. I've been meeting with our school principles.
Speaker 2: We've been meeting.
Speaker 3: We took I took Catherine Clark, who is right under Hakien Jeffrey. She's a Democratic leader in the Congress. I took her on a tour of the Children's Hospital of Oakland. There are parents who literally are scared to bring their children in for scheduled, scheduled heart transplants and sickle cell treatments because they believe that they may be deported. These are our Haitian brothers and sisters. These are our Latino brothers and sisters. This chaos is killing people, and so for us to be there on the ground, but listen, and the last thing I want to say in my TED talk, sister, I am reminding folks that you and me, our parents were born into segregation.
Speaker 2: We have been here. Black folks have been here, and we have.
Speaker 3: Consistently with praise, worship, policy again, and culture, through litigation, through movement, building, through study, through discipline, we have fought horrific policies back.
Speaker 2: No freedom has ever been given to us.
Speaker 3: We've always had to take those freedoms through again. The systems that have promised us, that have promised them, We've held those promises.
Speaker 2: Both want to go super hard. I think we should.
Speaker 3: The ground is strong, the legislative body, we must be stronger than we've been. But I'm not going nowhere. I'm four weeks in and this is where I think to be exists.
Speaker 1: I'm proud of you. I'm proud that you were there. I was so proud to hear your voice earlier. I think the one thing, like I try to look at the comments. I try to sit past the trolls and look at the comments. And one of the things that we're seeing is people saying, what do we the people do? And they're also asking, like one of the things that I'm kind of frustrated by is there are Republicans who just barely eat their way into Congress. You guys have there. It's the smallest majority, the smallest great depression, and so there's leverage points that y'all have to get people to vote with you. Yes they're opposed to recommit, that you can force them on the issues to say that Elon Musk South Africans, Elon Musk does not have the power that he thinks he has. That the Department of Government Efficiency is a random hair brained idea from Donald Trump, who ain't even the real president. I would say Elon Musk is the president of Stephen Miller's vice He did not even been in control of this project twenty twenty five by the Heritage Foundation is running this. And so when you consider what levers you have with your colleagues, who's in charge of going across the island being like, if y'all don't vote with us over here, I guarantee you you're going to be a one term wherever district you came from.
Speaker 2: I think that's on the line. There's a march is going to be crazy.
Speaker 3: In the United States Congress without without the Democrats, the Republicans have no way forward, so we have to hold our vote. We have to hold our votes for reconciliation. That's a budget process. We have to hold our votes. And the majority is so thin. If for of them don't come to work, we win a vote. Hey, it is so thin, and that's why I have I have hope. But you know, Angela, I also know we are going to win back the House in twenty twenty six because poor folks, people of color, They're going to see the very demonic ways of an administration that doesn't love its people. They'll be able to see through the lives right. They'll be able to see through the attacks on the smallest, most critical safetyiness that unless you've lived it, you don't know.
Speaker 2: Listen, I was a team mom. You know. I got a twenty eight year old daughter. I had SNAP and I also had WIG and I.
Speaker 3: Would be at the counter and the grocery store having to put back groceries.
Speaker 2: I know what that feels like. I know what that feels like.
Speaker 3: I know what it felt like when a community college finally transferring into a four year university.
Speaker 2: I have an MPa.
Speaker 3: Now I can look through a budget. I can be clear. I can educate our folks. They can educate me. I'm not going anywhere. I think our people are doing the right thing by calling members of Congress. I want you all, particularly you all in Republican districts, to call them, to call them every day. The Democrats in fact, and we should be. We're getting more calls than the folks who are complicit in this mess.
Speaker 2: Enjoy all up their line. The majority has the power right now. Phone number which we can sue.
Speaker 1: The phone number is two zero two two two four three one two one. That is the Capital switchboard operator. You can have her send you or them. I don't know who's going to answer the phone, I said her, that's bias. You can have the person who answers sends you to your respective members' offices, even if you're adjacent. Let's say you work in that Republican members this year, whatever it is, if you are impacted by that district at all, they are beholden to you. Why because whether you voted for them or not, you pay their salary. And that is exactly why our members today went to the Department of Education. They said, if you're not going to listen to oversight, we're gonna go and oversee you on federal land that is paid for by our constituents. And I was it was remarkable to me to see what's happening. Donald Trump is saying he's given over Department of Education in the Pentagon to Elon Musk next to go through everything. Meanwhile, the courts have said, actually, Elon Musk, you're now barred from handling any data.
Speaker 2: At Treasury.
Speaker 1: They're saying the actually the federal funding freeze is unfrozen. They said USAID employees who are supposed to be placed on administratively by midnight tonight, not so fast that would have And then they were cutting five thousand workers to two hundred and ninety workers at USAID. They said that for all of the foreign aid that was supposed to be frozen for ninety days, that's on hold as well. So the courts are playing their part. Ye are saying, what do we do?
Speaker 2: We're sewing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, you guys are suing. But it also is important to make sure that the people are supporting you in your efforts to switch sway some of those votes, to win some of those votes. Thank you for the person who puts the number two zero two two two four, three, one two one on there. And the last thing I want to just have you in on because there are a couple of questions that came in. Somebody said it's a coup. Yeah, and there are a lot of people who've been saying it's not a coup because the American people voted for this. But really, what the American people voted for when you look at the majority of voters, they voted for the couch, They voted to be absent, they abstained. So when you look at the terminology of a coup and what you see happening, is it reminiscent of a coup to you?
Speaker 3: You know, it does feel like a takeover because this administration isn't.
Speaker 2: Following the law.
Speaker 3: They don't follow the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, the Federalist papers. We all know who the Framers were, but they're not even respecting. They're not even respected in that word, right, And so in the sense that it feels chaotic and crazy and it's by design, yeah, I think we can own that that it does feel like a coup. I want to push back and I don't think that majority of the American public, as brilliant as we are, from you know, the person who just got out of prison, to the homeless person who is struggling to get housing.
Speaker 2: Who voted that day.
Speaker 3: I don't think that folks could have imagined that a administration would go after the snap benefits of or.
Speaker 1: What where we talked these people. You know, let me let people and I just want you to see this. Let me just tell you what I've been doing. I just want you to see this. I have literally been You're gonna laugh.
Speaker 2: This is hold on. Let me close this.
Speaker 1: So you can see them look here. Yeah, so I have since the summertime, I have been studying this. This is Project twenty twenty five. G You know, I printed it because I was not gonna give them my book money, so I got it printed at the FedEx Kikos. And this is every time there's some another executive order he passes, I literally go through here and find the page or find the person he appointed to fulfill whatever the job is.
Speaker 2: This is so beyond Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: This is Harriet Foundation since years and you know, they just remained this.
Speaker 3: This is a strategy to destabilize the social state net. But what folks didn't understand is that it was going to be them too. So for young women who are forced to give birth in over twenty two states, your childcare.
Speaker 2: May not be a real thing.
Speaker 3: You're forced to give birth because you don't have reproductive health freedoms. So you're not only your childcare, your health care, you're housing all of these social safety nets that are supposed to.
Speaker 2: Be pro life.
Speaker 3: Ye are in fact going to push more folks into deep poverty. We know that, So I don't feel like as brilliant as we are as a nation. I do believe, particularly people who are suffering the most are the most intelligent because we've had to survive so much. Nobody could have predicted, even if you're reading that that folks would really put into play the evil that we're seeing. When the guy I'm written on paper, I know some people did, but to folks who are just sick and tired of government, and I wanted to be a rebel and vote for the bully. I'm furious at the reality that more people will be poor, more people will die, they won't be able to get the medicaid and the medicare that they deserve. That Little girls like my daughter who buried her father when he was three.
Speaker 2: He had leukemia he died.
Speaker 3: I am a widow that their children like her, who will not get survivor's benefits should this administration be successful.
Speaker 2: This is real talk.
Speaker 3: But you know what, I still have hope that we could push this stuff aside. You have to because we deserve better. So the fight is with you all and your vote. It is the most powerful thing that we have.
Speaker 2: You saw it.
Speaker 3: The folks who voted for Donald Trump. They got them and now we're having to deal with it. You can do different next time. But in the interim, we do fight. We march, we organize, we educate, We protect each other. We protect each other, we love one another. I refuse to spit venom at these folks directly. I can talk about their policies. But again, my grandmother loved Jesus. I was raised Muslim, I went to a Jewish day school. I'm very bay Area and all literally the children of Gabriel, right, you know, the children of David, the children of Jesus, the children of Muhammad. We are taught in our text to love our neighbors. So when we think that USAID has nothing to do with us, you want to pull back the millions of dollars that are going overseas to protect the spread of HIV so your son doesn't get it. I want you to think again to stop famine so that we don't even have more forced migration. We want to be a friend to our allies and really keep us stable. We don't do that by making ourselves an international enemy. I'm here for the fight for folks who are really frustrated.
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 3: I'm frustrated too for folks who don't buy it.
Speaker 2: I get that too.
Speaker 3: We have to earn the respect of the people on the ground, and I'm honored to be able to serve and to take the feedback. I'm honored to be on to be on you know your channel right here and invite me back. I would love to talk to you anytime.
Speaker 1: I want to make sure like I'm doing a better job of providing access to my privilege. My point of privilege is y'all are my family, and I thank God for you every day. I thank God for the fight, and I know that when y'all are like, Okay, this fight might have been a little off, I know that y'all will pivot. I want to make sure that the people who follow me, or they follow our podcast, Native lampid have access to you all and see the fight when Lisa won't cover it because it's not as clickbaity as whatever crazy nonsense Donald. I want them to know there are fighters like Congresswoman Latif Assignment from California's twelve district fighting for us every single day, and so I thank God for you. I'm glad y'all went to the Department Education.
Speaker 2: Next time, y'all.
Speaker 1: Need to go down there with some gangsters though, because he ain't about to stare listen, so you.
Speaker 2: Know what in the face.
Speaker 1: In fact, go down there and be like I wish you would not let me in here, down there with you woes like what we are.
Speaker 3: What I appreciate is we are three weeks. In three four weeks, it's feeling like a year. Our tactics and strategies will continue, you know, to be even you know, I think more sophisticated.
Speaker 2: But what's important.
Speaker 3: You know, I am a kingsy and I have read all of the king Papers a thousand times. When you shine a mirror to evil, you know you we cannot be what we hate. I will never be a violent, racist, homophobe. I will never be those things. Right, we are surgical in our strategy, and it is not. It doesn't show up as quick as the man who propels violence. You see the immediate effect. We cannot be what we hate. That said, we got work to do because we will win this.
Speaker 2: We will. We lost an.
Speaker 3: Election, but that doesn't mean that we don't love the promise of democracy. My babies deserve us to be working twenty four hours a day. That's what I signed up to do. I love you, says and thanks guys. Nice to meet so many of you. All appreciate you.
Speaker 1: Y'all go follow Latifa at Rep. L Simon on her page and make sure you stay. She is on it like she's fighting when y'all don't know she's fighting. She's studying when y'all don't know, she's up and working on our behalf, even beyond California twelfth the greater parts of America. So thank you for standing and a ground a Department of education today, syst and we look forward to a victory. We know it's coming soon. I'll have like all the ring lights and everything like that.
Speaker 3: I don't have all that yet, having a little phone, but I'm perfect.
Speaker 1: I'm on my phone too. I just got a.
Speaker 2: Good light under here. Yeah, it's a great lights. All you see is forehead. I love get it together, y'all love.
Speaker 1: Me Perfect Bride Native Lampard is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.