Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal.
Speaker 2: Hull that for me. I'm a man, I'm for it. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for a day? Edith state is that?
Speaker 1: Woo woo? And then and tie, Dan Rubinstein. We have now turned the calendar to the month of June. The season is getting much, much, much closer even as we speak, which means that today it is time to tackle the important questions as part of our June Q and A episode. My friend, welcome back. How are you? Can't wait? I'm good?
Speaker 2: Uh, the sun is shining. I had a good weekend. Plenty of uh sports sidelines for kids playing t ball, coach pitch baseball. You pick it. Uh, life is good, Tie, life is good. How about you?
Speaker 1: I am doing wonderful. I played a terrible round of golf and my elbow is ailing inside or outside, kind of in the back part.
Speaker 2: On the back, the bone on the outside.
Speaker 1: The Internet has no answer for what that is.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, you injured yourself in a mysterious way that the internet full of horrible golfers who constantly do bodily harm to themselves in their golf game. You have exceeded their knowledge base. It would appear as if that is the case. Yeah, that is the case.
Speaker 1: Nonetheless, Hit follow Hit subscribes that you don't miss any of our episodes. If you want to continue to support what Dan and I do, you can always do so. I get a ad free episodes and bonus content and discord access and access to the games that we're going to have coming up here once the season gets closer out at verbalers dot com. V E R B A L L E r s dot com. Let's jump right in. Congratulations, Skippy, you've got mail. You've got mail on the solid rouble.
Speaker 2: Did you add the new sounds that I sent you to your soundboard?
Speaker 1: I actually did. I here did, and we will use them when the time is right. I do not Okay, I do not want gratuitous Okay, Sully the good name of this episode. Yeah, let's start with this one from ween out on Patreon. Okay, if a wizard approached you, Dan Rubinstein and said tonight, you will forget everything you know about the teams that you love, and those memories will be replaced by a lifetime of experiences of being a fan of a completely different team. But you must choose. Now, which team would you pick?
Speaker 2: Dan? So in my lifetime?
Speaker 1: Yeah, in lifetime, all of those wonderful Oregon memories before that, I guess Florida State for you. Okay, all of your college football memories of a specific team, your favorite team, those are going to be hot swapped with those of another team.
Speaker 2: So let's say since two thousand somewhere in there. Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: I mean, that would only be half of your lifetime. But sure, if you want to.
Speaker 2: Say no, I know, but it's okay, you can. You can do. There's just so many different eras to sort of weigh. So if I had to swap memories, I think it would be lame to say Alabama, Right, that would be lame. That would be a dorks answer to say Alabama or Ohio State. I don't know that does. I'm looking for strictly a fun experience, So you have to experience some lows so the highs feel a little bit sweeter. You have to there has to be a fun element to this. If I'm going to pick a specific memory implant, I want to implant fun memories that like there are upsets involved. Maybe style of play is interesting to watch over the years. I'm not going to choose a national championship team I don't think.
Speaker 1: Well, So there's two strategies to this, Right, If the wizard is going to wipe out all my Notre Dame stuff, yeah, and replace it with the team of my choosing. I either want to pick a team that is currently good so that I hit the ground running. Yeah, Ohio State, George's a team that is very much in the zeitgeist, or the other avenue, maybe this is the one you prefer, pick a team that used to be good, or just pick a team that has a lot of great memories, Like I was thinking Stanford Stanford not currently good, but Stanford had and those are some lows. Man, Stanford had an incredible run with Christian McCaffrey, when Jim Harball was there Andrew Luck. Right, So there are two different ways that you could approach this.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't do. I don't think there's enough juice around Stanford football to say I am implanting my brain. Like, Okay, So if I were to choose a national championship program, which I don't think I should, I might choose LS. I think there are enough highs, enough entertainment around the program enough players that are so rootable that you would just enjoy your time being on that side of the action. Over the years, obviously you're going back, you're getting less miles, you're getting coach Oh, You're getting Nick Saban, You're getting some low points in the nineties, You're getting some low points here and there, coming down off of some high points. But I think entertainment factor among the elite teams, without saying Ohio State, without saying Alabama, whatever that next tier is, that makes sense to me. If I'm going to select a team that's just not a national championship team, that's quality, that cares, that plays in big games, that plays an entertaining brand of football, that has had upsets, I think you might be able to do worse than Ole miss Ooh okay, that's not good.
Speaker 1: Now, that's not bad. I thought you were going to take mine, which was mine is Boise State.
Speaker 2: Boise State hasn't won national championship, has had fun, has had quality. The frustration about like the ceiling involved with being a Poise State fan.
Speaker 1: For sure, But you know, I believe it is you, my trustee co host, who has argued for or an eternity on this show that the national championship is not necessarily the point.
Speaker 2: No, I know, but you're talking about access, right. It's a different argument when you're saying, like, we don't even have access when we are going eleven and one, twelve and er. It's not the point as a national fan to me, But I understand the frustrations of bois people in the two thousands.
Speaker 1: I mean, I can only imagine the unbelievable high that came with that Fiesta Bowl win over Oklahoma back in the day, sure, right, So to have that in my memory bank would definitely make me at least five percent more joyful of a human being and a college football fan, and also to some extent being unburdened for a long time from that national championship conversation. I understand there might be some frustration that comes with it, but to not necessarily start the season wondering if that's gonna happen, that would definitely cut stress out of my life, out of my memory bank. And also being able to watch this slow build of Boise State through the nineties up to present day. You know, that has definitely been I think the journey of a lifetime for Boise State. Fans watching this program rise to prominence, most recently now being in a college football playoff, having great players move through their sort of being this upstart program, this team that can upset you if you're not paying attention, while at the same time now obviously being more of a national story. So I just think that evolution would have been fun to watch. If I could swap out some of the painful Notre Dame losses to like mac teams and maybe swap in just this perennial underdog. I don't think that's a bad trade to made. If if the Wizard presents himself to me and gives this unholy choice.
Speaker 2: To me, I would have a conversation about either of the Arizona schools, because that means I probably lived in warm Weather had access to better Mexican food. Okay, I've always had.
Speaker 1: This isn't a life thing, this is just a memory state. I play to a football team.
Speaker 2: Here's here's why I say, Arizona schools. You're generally getting quality with some definitive low points. Some of the Herm Edwards years, some of the Kevin Someone years get.
Speaker 1: Kevin Someone years. Man, I don't know about that.
Speaker 2: You're competing for conference championships, there's pretty consistent quality even if you're losing, you know, even if you're sort of the Washington Generals to you know, the better Stanford Oregon USC teams throughout the years in the Pac twelve. Now you're moving on to the Big twelve. So there's a little bit of novelty involved with being a fan of one of those schools. But at the same time, you're not expecting eleven wins a year. Like you get to live in a reality that it's probably more healthy, sure, and you appreciate the finer things when they arrive.
Speaker 1: See that's my Boise argument right there.
Speaker 2: Well poise poises highs have been higher to me, sure more consistently. But the down part of Boisse is you have to ride through the Andy Avlos and Brian Harsoniers.
Speaker 1: Which are not a Well there's no perfect answer. There's no perfect answer, but I would love to hear from people in this one. This is a fabulous question from ween. By the way, I want of our trustee for ballers. Uh, if you have something or not on the Patreon, you want to write in sliverble at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Or you can take the tact of take a more downtrodden program, be a Vandy fan, be a per new fan, be a Rutgers fan, because you expect nothing and you get to be surprised by competence, and so you protect yourself against the pain. Tie. No, you're like, I'm a Vandy fan. We're gonna lose, but if we don't, holy moly, we're gonna throw some stuff into a river. I don't know. There's something to be said about protecting from the pain, but I don't think you can live your life like that, right. You gotta love like nobody's watching. Tie. That's what your tattoo says. That's what that's the core belief of mine. Yeah, yep, so all right, answer. Let's go to this question from Efrin. Okay, I understand that the Big Ten has org, Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State. Yes, that leaves fourteen teams. Are those fourteen teams so vastly superior to the Big twelve? I feel like there's not a lot of difference between the Minnesota's and Illinois and teams like Case State and Baylor.
Speaker 1: However, people keep on talking about the Big Twelve like it's a poverty league. Poverty league.
Speaker 2: Who name names, that's my problem, name names?
Speaker 1: He says, what do you what do you all think?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So I don't think Ephan's wrong, Okay. I think on this show we've done our best to push back on that narrative a bit because we love the Big Twelve.
Speaker 2: So once again we're saying, Michigan, Ohio State, Oregon, Penn State, take them aside, take away ties, billion dollar Hollywood face. Sure, he's not so different than you and I, that's right, Okay.
Speaker 1: What he's wrong about, I think is the approach to the question. Okay, because he is thinking about this like a logical college football fan, right, who cares about nuance looking at the middle of a conference, looking at something from soup to nuts. The broader national conversation is defined by the top of a conference, not the media middle.
Speaker 2: So that's like the competent depth.
Speaker 1: But that includes the top of the top, that includes the top top absolutely. So I think in that sense because of conference realignment, because the Big Twelve is kind of headless at this point, we don't know who's taking over the mantle. Oh my Arizona State sun Devils, our tie nacos that he thinks it could be ASU, why not them? Right, But the top of the conference at present remains somewhat undefined. Yeah, I actually think the more interesting experiment to test this theory would be to put out a poll, and I guess we could do this if we want it, asking whether or not just a blind taste test. I guess it's not blind. But you see where I'm going with continual which conference is tougher, the Big Twelve or the ACC? And I want to see how people answer that because the ACC definitely has teams with a little bit more star power. You've got Clemson in Florida State, and Miami and North Carolina, even Virginia Tech. Right, I think the highs of that conference just in terms of name recognition, brand recognition, all those goofy buzzwords, it's probably higher in the ACC, even though I don't know necessarily that it's a tougher conference, But I just think with some of that star power at the very top, you would have a poll that skews in the direction of the ACC. That's my theory. I agree, So I think that's where the Big Twelve comes up a little bit short, just in terms of the top of the conference. The other thing that I would say about the Big twelve. Dan, Yeah, four of the five biggest TV markets belong to newer teams. Yeah, like the biggest in Houston, which Houston's got a good sized fan base, but they just got there. They don't have a whole lot of experience competing at the Power Conference level. TCU and Fort Worth is the next highest, made the title game a couple of years ago, but TCUs a smaller private school constantly competing for oxygen with schools like Texas Texas A and M for I guess broader recognition in the state of Texas and beyond. The next biggest are Arizona State, new Team Colorado, new Team UCF, relatively new team right. So again to the recognition point, the biggest TV markets in general belong to new teams. And if I can make one final point before I kick it over to you, yes, I don't know if the middle of the Big ten is necessarily better than upper middle of the Big twelve. To Effhren's point, they are richer, though they are much richer. Yeah, And I think again, if we're talking of this in terms of like the broader national conversation, whether or not people want that to factor in. It is definitely still something on the periphery that people think about when they make a snap judgment on a conference.
Speaker 2: Sure, absolutely, what do you think? Okay, So it's hard to separate awareness, it's hard to separate national familiarity from this question. You'll notice it was Ephremn left out USC, right, huge program in a huge place with huge a huge name, brand, coach, whatever, and just very recognizable in terms of where this program has been in college football, and not recently, not recently, but we're not too old that we forget USC as a national power.
Speaker 1: And by the way, you're kind of making my Big twelve point here as well. Sure, because when you think of the Big twelve, you don't necessarily think of like Arizona State, Arizona.
Speaker 2: No Arizona, Arizona State are Pack twelve programs.
Speaker 1: Right, And I think the same is true on USC's front. I still don't call the old school. I know they're technically as is Oregon in Washington, Ucla. I know these teams are technically in the Big ten. But well, at your finger snap judgment, I'm not thinking US season the Big ten yet. I have not reprogrammed that quickly.
Speaker 2: USC is a little bit different to me because they actively tried to murder the conference they were in. So I am from my vantage point, USC is a murderer, and so they're a Big Ten team. This is what they wanted college football to be. They wanted USC comma Big Ten member.
Speaker 1: We had a guy right in by the way every time we talk about USC schedule, wanted me to play.
Speaker 2: Sure, we took a few years off. I mean, they played Notre Dame and Oregon this year, right, I know.
Speaker 1: We could start that back up, though it's always fun continue.
Speaker 2: The other thing, the Big Twelve just feels so much even though it spans you know, Arizona to West Virginia and Orlando, there is still something highly regional, if not about like the places or the alums, but the interest in the Big Twelve. That look, I've lived on the West Coast, I've lived on the East Coast, and now I live in the biggest city in the Midwest, and when you look up and down the Big Twelve, I can't think this is an insane anecdotal piece of argument that I'm about to make. Okay, this is cow Herdian in its nature. Okay, great, I don't think and maybe somebody's listening to this and knows me and is friends with me. I don't think I know a single person that went to any of these schools that lives near me right now. But I can think of I have SEC friends, I have obviously Big Ten friends, I have former Pac twelve friends, I have ACC friends. But what's interesting to me, and I don't know if it's just a footprint thing, but there is something about the Big Twelve that when you lose the recognizable heads of a conference in Texas and Oklahoma. And by the way, I think the Big Twelve is a sensational job in rebuilding and repopulating and having a high floor.
Speaker 1: I like it. I like what they've done. And I'm not necessarily making this argument that effort is is batting around, not at all. I mean, people who listen know that we like the conference. But it's I think it's a fair point to raise because this is very much the narrative. I agree with that.
Speaker 2: And you look at the teams who have played in huge national games recently in the postseason. You have TCU, of course, you have ASU, of course, and then you look at the rest of the list in terms of playoff playoff ish teams. Utah has kind of flirted, but they've been a Big Twelve team for an hour and a half. Kansas State has had some really interesting high like they just there's no consistency at or near the top. Oklahoma State or of showed it. They make a Big Twelve championship game and fall off like the Mariannus trench of college football immedia? Is that what it's called?
Speaker 1: Yes in the Atlantic, Yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so there is something about the consistency of inconsistency in the Big Twelve where you're just like, who is this conference built on the backs of And when you look at the ACC and you look at the interest that you know, Clemson has generated nationally and it's taken a while. But Miami, of course not necessarily within the ACC, but it's a huge brand with recognizable everything about Miami football. Say what you will, Miami's huge. And then there's there are the enormous schools or the big, big name schools, whatever you want to call it in the Northeast. Not that they've had sustained success, but these are huge programs, both in basketball and football, and the Big Twelve has a ton of basketball firepower, but I don't know. There is still something about a bunch of B plus type programs that is impressive and to be modeled after. But there has to be that bar. That's what we talked about when Nick Saban retired, that Alabama did the impossible thing in the SEC where it was people decry a lack of parity, but it is nice that we had this measuring stick of a program in Alabama. I hope, for the sake of the Big Twelve, maybe that becomes Arizona State. It'd be very cool. They seem to be a very likable program at the moment, unless you're in Tucson, I guess, And you need that bar to measure yourself against, and the Big Twelve is searching for that. It's a conference in its absolute infancy. Whereas like the Big Ten in SEC and ACC are growing by adding to an existing roster, the Big Twelve had to morph into something new when losing its huge brands. And so sure you can say the Big Twelve is competitive with the Big Ten minus the bars and the SEC minus the bars, But I mean, this is why movie stars have the prettiest faces, you know, like you got to have that recognizable flash to sell tickets, and you know, we're paying to see Sidney Sweeney, not Cheryl Sweeney. Cow Herdian soapbox.
Speaker 1: Now, now that that was a great Cowhardian argument. By the way, as you were going off on that tangent p I did post to our social account a poll asking which conference do you think is tougher, Big twelve or ACC? So by the time, by this time tomorrow we'll know the answer to the experiment. But I if I were to venture a guess, I would say the ACC. Not necessarily because I think it's that much tougher or weaker or whatever, but I just think because of the top, because of the star power at the top, that is what works against the Big twelve. You made the same point as well. I would expect that the ACC is going to win this, but we'll see. I don't know. It's also people are probably gonna make jokes about this this question and altogether.
Speaker 2: But no, it's fine. And it's also look from a recruiting standpoint, and I guess portal standpoint, but mostly recruiting. You know, over the last you know, five ten years, and then Texas Tech was a major player in the portal this year, and we'll see how that works out for them. But these this is a conference that from a pure roster standpoint, and it's changed again in the portal era, it's a conference that can't absorb injuries, that hasn't built up the kind of depth when you compare it against other conferences that you know, a couple of years ago, a couple of quarterbacks go down and West Virginia's win in a bunch more games than they probably should have, and good for them, right that it's easier to win games in a conference that doesn't necessarily have NFL depth at a lot of positions. And I'm not saying the Big Twelve is easy, no, but I think the bar to get to, you know, the road to eight wins in the Big Twelve maybe a little bit easier because you're not dealing with week in and week out. You know, this team might not have an offense, but their defense is incredible, or this team might not have a defense, but their offense is incredible. I think you're getting a lot of mediocrity at you know, a three to four position group layer that you might not be getting in the bottom of the or the middle of the Big Ten.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, let's move on. Let's go to this one from Dan. Okay, every podcaster in college football media member with a mailbag has been asked a dozen times? How many years would it take Nick Saban to turn X into a contender?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Saban only really one big at decided blue blood programs like LSU and Alabama. Yeah, what is the lowest tier of a program that the best coaches in the game could turn into a top five team? Could they do it or could they do it at a top fifteen program, a top twenty five program? What is the lowest tier? Let's use Nick Saban as an example, best coach of all time in college football? Sure you put Nick Saban the Eastern Michigan. I don't like that exercise is stupid, Okay, explain.
Speaker 2: Nick Saban would never These guys are used to a certain lifestyle and it's not worth it for them. The money is not worth it if the money behind the program and the prestige behind the program isn't aligned with what they're used to doing with coaching. So I think the more sensical question is what Dan is actually asking, right that, like Nick Saban going to a MAX school and winning the mac a bunch of times, but he's never going to really be able to probably generate enough financial interest behind the scenes at the school and amongst alumni to draw in five stars from Florida and Georgia to play for Eastern Michigan.
Speaker 1: So I mean, realistically, yeah, this would have been a different question fifteen years ago, right, because back in the day, you could build up teams kind of like you build them up in the video game, where you consistently recruit well, you consistently develop talent, you see a progression of results on the conference, on the national level, and then at some point, if you're doing it right, you hit a critical mess. Right, you know, I'm oversimplifying, but it's not unlike what happened at Boise State, which I sort of just described right in twenty twenty five, though, this is a much different answer, even though we did see a guy like a Frank Signetti turn around Indiana in one off season. Regardless of what you think of Indiana, they should be in the playoff. They should in Indiana went from three to nine to eleven and two. With a better coach and with help of the transfer portal, you can do it very quickly. It's not the same time calculation as it used to be, and a favorable schedule, and a favorable schedule, so you know, you put a big name coach, a bigger name coach at really any school, you will probably see something of a spike in terms of transfer interest, in terms of maybe the donor class, et cetera. But the bigger question is that donor class to your point, all right, donor class and revenue on the football program, because it's gonna take money. Now, it's gonna take money to bring the talent in. It's gonna take money to keep your homegrown talent stop them from going elsewhere. I don't it doesn't matter if it's Nick Saban turning things around, turning you into a name brand quarterback at whatever Max school. The question is can you keep that guy another year? Because on some level, it's like, it's great playing for Nick Saban, it's great being there, it's great having him being like the seal of approval on your future. Right, But unless you can afford to pay three million dollars to keep the guy in town, forget it, right, He's gonna be playing down the road at Ohio State next year. So that's the reason why. This is a much different question than I think it used to be. I don't know if I really have an answer. I guess the answer is a school that is big enough to bring in enough dollars to keep the talent in place on a recurring basis. Like maybe Memphis is the answer with their investment that they got from FedEx.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's a good investment for the AAC. It's not necessarily a good investment for the highest levels of college football.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but that's what it takes. It takes a school that is big enough to get those donor dollars year in, year out, regardless of who the coach is. Having the coach would help, but you need the money at this point in time if you're going to sustain it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think a lot of it is just going to be a location situation that takes schools that are close to Florida, Georgia, Texas, maybe California that yes, at Arizona State, at Louisville, at TCU. I think those places would qualify places that are much more in the like seventeen to thirty Raine, Okay, and our geographically advantageous I think Nick Saban Kirby Smart, Dabbo, take your pick. The best of the best. Coaches could find ways to win with that kind of proximity to talent and that kind of proximity to money. I don't know what the money scene is like. I know it's good at Louisville. It seems TCU not sure Like Syracuse would just be more difficult, Like the job Nick Saban would have in trying to convince players from the South Texas, Florida, Georgio, Tennessee, wherever, to come to Syracuse. Over going to George and playing for Kirby Smart, going to Texas and playing for Steve Sarksian. It's a lot. He would get some, but not on the same level. It would just be a different kind of argument that there are just going to be players who are like I want to play in near family, I want to play somewhere warm, I want to play in a southern college town, and it's Syracuse is just going to check fewer boxes for those types of prospects. All of these coaches, by the way, would be the first to tell you that they're nothing special without players, and there's only so much you can do with a capped talent level. And you're just going to have that cap level at a lot of places in that like twenty two to forty five zone, and you can get great coaching, you can develop players super well, but in terms of depth, in terms of star power, the usual suspects seem like they're always going to draw more. And so it's a nice symbiotic relationship that like, players make the coach, coach make the players, and everybody thinks the best of everybody. And I just I couldn't see Kirby Smart, you know, achieving national glory at Iowa State consistently.
Speaker 1: Saban at Tulane would be I think as far down as I would go a school like a two lane, but I think it would have to be the upper crust of the non power five, a place that has a serious investment in football, had some recent success to build upon, already has talent, right, you know, starting from square one, you're not going to put him at Kent State. No, you're going to be better if you put him at Kent State, because he's a better coach. But in terms of building something longer term, turning this into any kind of juggernaut, the money.
Speaker 2: It's actually more fascinating in basketball when you just need you know, two or three incredible balls. Different a different what Rick Patino has done because we actually see it in basketball on a different level, like John Calipari at Memphis. Memphis obviously historical program has had star power there, but it's not what Kentucky is right, it's you know you he turned UMass into a power. And so the basketball thing, the coaches have more of an opportunity because you got to convince two kids and then others will follow those two kids pretty quickly. And so that's the fascinating thing when you see who is the Michigan coach forever who went to San Diego State, Steve Fisher. Deep sure that we actually do see it in basketball, and that's that's when it becomes super fascinating. But no, football wise, I just think it's so much more difficult, especially now with how much players can move around. I don't know, it's tough to say, like you, Nick Saban would find really good and develop really good dbs and find really good dB coaches. You know, if we were coaching in the MAC, if we were coaching the Big twelve and the Big ten wherever. But the high high level roster that goes too deep everywhere. As much as that is difficult now, I just think you're asking so much of one human to completely transform a place that's not built to be transformed.
Speaker 1: This question from Jacob is not directed direct batching my words here.
Speaker 2: You're good.
Speaker 1: It's not address solely to you, but it might as well be. Okay, can you compare twenty twenty five college football teams to early two thousand's pop punk bands.
Speaker 2: I deleted this.
Speaker 1: I do not believe we've ever gotten this question before.
Speaker 2: I deleted it. I don't compare anymore. Do you have any thoughts from comparisons. I'm sorry I put you on a bad I'm a bad teammate right now saying that it's okay.
Speaker 1: No, it's fine, it's fine. You can you can tell me if I'm right or wrong with these comparisons.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I have Michigan down as Green Day.
Speaker 2: Michigan as Green Day. That's not early two thousands. They had Dookie was like ninety four.
Speaker 1: I just jotted down that they have some old school credibility. Its Michigan. They had their moment against recently. A lot of people think they peaked in the nineties, but.
Speaker 2: Michigan Screen Championship like three hours ago.
Speaker 1: I said they had their moment recently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: And then the other one I jotted down was Penn State is Jimmy World because they're they're solid, they're consistent, they have occasional moments of brilliance, but they have never quite been the headliner.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I would more. I would be more likely to look at Fallout Boy songs and compare them to like twenty twenty four seasons like song names, yeah, you know, Dead on Arrival, Grand Theft, Autumn, whatever, old Fallout Boy, Yeah, and compare them to seasons or yeah, like team seasons from last season than banned reputation because it's just so highly subjective. And college football, there's a you objectively went ten and two, you objectively won three straight national championships, or appeared in three straight national championships, where I think I will go song title more than that Fallout Boy, like what program is like early two thousands or all of the Fallout Boy ouvre ouvre what's the question exactly?
Speaker 1: He says, can you compare twenty twenty five college football teams to early two thousands pop punk bands?
Speaker 2: Well, Michigan isn't peaked in like their twenty twenty five team is relying on a young lead singer. Was there anybody that was especially young singing for a pop punk group in like two thousand and two the starting line and Kenny there.
Speaker 1: Was that dude from the calling They had one big song and he was like.
Speaker 2: Seventeen years old punk. That guy was just doing an Eddie Vetter impression. Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah. Fallout Boy has withstood the test of time. Midwest high energy, yep, a lot of hair decisions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there were.
Speaker 2: Associated with Ashley Simpson. So who played in that Orange Bowl that Ashley Simpson sang in?
Speaker 1: Was that Penn State?
Speaker 2: Was it?
Speaker 1: It might have been Pen State or she saying the halftime show?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she had the really the really bad hiccup on national TV on SNL. Yeah, so I guess Fallout Boys associated with both of the those things.
Speaker 1: It was the two thousand and five Orange Bowl.
Speaker 2: Okay, who played in the two thousand and five Orange Bowl.
Speaker 1: Two thousand and five Orange Bowl, I'm looking at it right here. Oh my gosh, I'm looking at this clip right now. Two thousand and five Orange Bowl. Yeah, that was USC against Oklahoma that was the two thousand and five BCS National Championship Game.
Speaker 2: I would say Ohio State, if you're going to force me to do fall Out Boy, I would say Ohio State, that Midwest been around for a while amongst an elite tier with their peers Fallout Boy, you know, selling out arenas and stuff like that, Like they just they have a huge national, if not international following.
Speaker 1: It's funny you say that because Jacob is the second part of Jacob's comment here is, for example, I feel like Ohio State is Fallout Boy, big name, some good hits, has a lot of haters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I I think it's pretty reasonable. The Midwestern thing rings true obviously.
Speaker 1: Well, since he deleted it, we can move on to the next question. If we can move on Xavier rights in how many coaches do you think can get fired or retire? Just looked and I can see Auburn, LSU, FSU, Florida, USC, Iowa, Kentucky, Oklahoma and sy State, Pit, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Cincinnati, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech.
Speaker 2: I mean this answer is easier to say, like, who do you think is in a pretty good spot?
Speaker 1: I could see all of these teams. He also has Maryland, Wisconsin, Arkansas. All of these teams making moves either due to firings or retirements, and I'm wondering if maybe we'll see some coaches stay on for that reason. Okay, so he's obviously focused on the Power Conference coaches. He did list a lot of schools there. Many of them have complex situations that are I think worth following. Only a fraction of those places are probably willing to pay crazy buyout money. So like USC and Lincoln Riley. We had Ryan Abraham on a couple months ago. Lincoln Riley's not going anywhere. They're not paying that buyout. I think there is a trend right now to that point of rather than shelling out dead buyout money, reinvesting it into talent acquisition and seeing where the program can go. Florida sort of did something like this. Of the programs, he listed the ones that I would say I'm watching the closest, we're most interested in. Mark Stoops is getting progressively more grumpy at Kentucky. Sure, sometimes that could be a precursor to a retirement. Oklahoma State the writings of the Wall, We talked that one through Oklahoma. We like what brand Venables is doing, but going to need to start seeing some results sooner than later, especially with what they're doing now. Wisconstant of wig Fickle. We talked about that one. It has not been off to a great start. Virginia Tech was underwhelming last year for a multitude of reasons, some of which are on the coach. Iowa, I think is going to have another good year, but we know that Kirk Ferrens is going to be there forever. And Florida State, like Florida State, had a horrible year, made a big move to go out and get Gus gust come in and run the offense. Two new coordinators now in total should be better, if only because they can't get much worse. But if Florida State is not more reliably in that playoff conversation, I think starting this year we're going to have to start having a Mike Norvell conversation. So those are just the schools that he listed.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think the Mike Norvel conversation has begun.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's definitely begun. Yeah, I'm trying to be you know, generous here with my assessment, but Florida State should be in that CFP conversation nearly every year full stop.
Speaker 2: I think with the demands placed on coaches now, the list is probably far longer of coaches who are just like, yeah, I'm done with this. I'm done with this. I've made enough money and I'm good. I don't want to recruit my own roster every hour of every day. I think there's more. I think the teams that Xavier listed are all reasonable because of expectations, because of how teams have gone into the portal, or how teams are hoping to bounce back from last season. They're all reasonable here. But I just think the list is more vast, Like, the list is more vast of programs not necessarily who are excited to pay money to a coach to not coach. But if you if you take away the schools that just hired somebody or their good vibes early on, and a coach is ten years somewhere, and you just take any school that has had a coach that has been there for four or five years, you're not going to be fully surprised. If Kirby Smart's like, I'm good, If Dabolsweeny's like I'm good.
Speaker 1: I see, but you're talking to the retirement angle. And I think that's well, it's in the question, right, It's in the question. It's absolutely valid, totally. What I don't know though, with this new era of money and especially with revenue sharing. We actually have a question about revenue sharing a little bit later that we'll get to. I don't know the willingness of some of these programs to pay that buyout money. I agree, you know, and that is something we're just going to have to chart. We're going to have to see which programs are really desperate to get rid of whoever is running the thing and start anew versus who's just going to hang tight and see if anything materializes, maybe reinvest the way I described right, I don't know. I don't know the answer to that.
Speaker 2: I think there are very few programs that have had a coach for a while that the coach does not go through spells of why am I even doing this? And from the top on down, like I would bet Steve Sarkasian has had low moments at Texas, that Dan Lanning has had low moments at Oregon. That take your pick of the gilded class of coaches that they're dealing with issues that make them question why they are coaching major college football in twenty twenty five now, though the issues likely don't outweigh the positive aspects. And these are places that you can throw money at problems in a way that you can't at a lot of places. But the pain of the job, I'm sure rears its ugly head for every single one of these. For Kenny Dillingham, who's got it better than Kenny Dillingham right now coming off of a Big twelve title and being seen as like a good guy, intense guy doing stuff that is a blueprint for other new coaches, young, younger new coaches. But even he is, you know, frustrated by a lot of realities. I'm sure. So I think the list is always longer than you think it is. Okay, and you just these coaches are talented at figuring out how to convince people to throw money at problems.
Speaker 1: Let's go to David as a Big ten fan in my sixth decade of life, nice in his fifties, I am increasingly struggling with how to handle games that interest me that are on in the very late TV window.
Speaker 2: Okay, we don't know where David lives, do we?
Speaker 1: We do not know where he lives now, Okay, I can stay up, but it wrecks me the next day. He says, as a parenthetical, Yes, I am very washed, especially if the game is exciting, since I too am wound up after the game and I am unable to fall asleep as soon as the head hits the pillow.
Speaker 2: I assume David lives in the big ten footprint in the central times On.
Speaker 1: I think that's a fair assessment. I've tried to go to sleep at halftime, but then I tossed intern all night with suspense, not wanting to wake up until morning to see what happened. Sometimes, with the suspense killing me, I wake up at like two or three AM, and I check the score, but of course I also have to see the drive chart and everything, and then good luck trying to fall back asleep for like two more hours. They really should have considered the old folks when scheduling any advice or thoughts. Don't laugh. This will be useful day, buddy, it already is us. We're just at this point now where we have to gut it out so that we can do the live streams at midnight Eastern time. Yeah, after a day's worth of games. So we are Simpatico. David, I think the best answer is probably to move to Hawaii if that's within your budget.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's not a great answer, but it's not an answer. Who was Who was.
Speaker 1: The NBA guy who did that for ESPN the old was it Chad Ford?
Speaker 2: Is that that sounds right? That he lived? Was that specifically for time zone purposes?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I think he was a professor or something.
Speaker 2: There's a basketball writer for the Athletic Sam Vessini. He lives in Australia. I don't know how that works for him and covering the NBA, if that's advantageous or like if the games started at nine am and he's like this is great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's a great answer. But what's your solution, what's your what's your advice here for David.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the actual problem here is you've got to fall asleep in like like a harder rock, right, Like you have to be asleep so thoroughly that you don't wake up in the middle of the night. You will wet your bed. You will wet your bed because you got to get up. Sometimes I'd like, how opposed to you are edibles? Like Okay, like if you can find that sort of blend that just sort of keeps you locked into your sleep pattern. So you're winking up.
Speaker 1: You're saying, rugs, seek the assistance of something that can either help knock you out right or keep you knocked out so that the college football distractions aren't quite as distracting.
Speaker 2: I would figure out maybe how to negotiate a power nap window the next morning if you have to stay up, if that's an unavoidable thing.
Speaker 1: See, this is where I thought you were going with it, because that's been our approach to staying awake later into the night.
Speaker 2: But he doesn't have an issue staying awake. He's saying it wrecks him the name morning. Well yeah, but so you're still saying stay up late, but he's still going to be wrecked.
Speaker 1: But gutting out these night games now, as we have for the last two years. The best advice you gave me was probably to do the power nap around five pm.
Speaker 2: Right, But that prepares you for the to prepare you awake for the night window. It doesn't help you the next morning.
Speaker 1: This is true.
Speaker 2: I am still So what I'm saying is I don't know if David has kids and responsibilities on Sunday mornings that he has, you know, active plans every Sunday morning. What I'm saying is, if you do have plans, figure out a way with your significant other to say, at ten thirty am, I'm going to need twenty five minutes to close my eyes, because you can't go past twenty five minutes. Really, if you want to do a power nap, you chug a little coffee and you close your eyes for twenty five minutes. That can help you the next day. If you are wrecked from staying up until or you wake up in the middle of the night, that's right. You can put your phone in another room so you can't check scores if you happen to wake up.
Speaker 1: Right, and this is what therapists will tell you to do if you have trouble sleeping at night, if you are constantly on the phone, if you're dooms scrolling, whatever, they will tell you put the phone in another room. There are some settings on the phone that can prevent you, I guess, from using your own device. Right, they tend to not work because you're the one who sets it up. You know how to get around it. But but what I'm saying is. But that's not a bad idea. I like the idea.
Speaker 2: There are those apps though, right, there's those apps that they're just like, don't let me on my phone between ten pm and six am. Yes, okay, so I think maybe that's the move. Okay, now if he is, so, if in somewhat suspense, you can just turn on the TV, right you can. There are ways around not checking your phone, but at least turning on your TV. You feel like even more of a degenerate that you're fully dedicating yourself to an entertainment sidebar in the middle of the night from two to three eighteen am, Whereas the ease of the phone being taken away I feel like is at least a step. It's at least if you have a significant other, have them hide the phone.
Speaker 1: Oh, hide the phone, hide the phone and Easter egg hunt at three thirty am to see what the box score was between Texas Tech and you know whoever?
Speaker 2: Yeah, or how about this tie? Give yourself a reward system for not staying up late and checking the scores on your phone. Right, treat yourself Sunday morning. You made it through. Now you're going to scrub through. At six am while you're drinking coffee. Seven am. While you're drinking coffee, reward yourself and go get a breakfast burrito. You only get the breakfast burrito if you pass the test.
Speaker 1: What does not work and has never worked, is a tip delay thing.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I have yet to hear from what we've been doing this show since eight I have yet to hear from Harvarballer Hood anyone truly, anyone who has ever been able to pull that move off, right, Because back in the day, when it was like a VCR, you had to rewind it. You could see the scores. Now, if you're using any of the streaming apps out there, you still have to rewind it. Like it. I've never had success with starting right at the moment where it's supposed to record and then just watching it without getting any of those tells right. I've always had to rewind it or maybe I'm doing it wrong. I don't know, but that doesn't work. I don't have that kind of patience. I don't have that kind of willpower. So yeah, maybe use the apps to try and shield yourself from the results. I don't know, David, let us know if you come up with a better solution.
Speaker 2: I like my drugs idea, I mean, lives in the hand of big Pharma.
Speaker 1: Let's go out to Tyler here. Yeah, as revenue sharing for players kicks off shortly, do you have any creative ideas for how schools can earn more revenue to offset the increased expenditures. The best idea Penn Steak could come up with was to make the minimum price for parking at any game this year one hundred and five dollars. Parenthetically, he says, yes, seriously, one hundred and five to park in a grass field when FIU comes to town. Right, Needless to say, I'm a little bit frustrated. I would love to have some fun with this. How are we going to earn more sweet sweet cache to keep up the program and make sure it maintains and make sure it stays a well oiled machine. Okay, Yeah, I have four creative ideas here, okay that I came up with.
Speaker 2: Are any of them renting chairs?
Speaker 1: No? Okay, damn, I have a couple options. I want you to tell you what you think, all right. As you know, we are noted entrepreneurs. Here, we do a sharp tank knockoff fund.
Speaker 2: I have a business minor everybody.
Speaker 1: Option one a premium bathroom pass. Oh man, that's that's kind of evil. Okay, premium pass. Okay, they do something like this Disney World. You can jump to the front of the line, right m speed pass. Is that what it's called? Something like? Yeah, fifty dollars. Fifty bucks gives you access to a no line restroom. Okay, judging from your response, you don't like it. I'll move on.
Speaker 2: I'm okay with it. No, I was. I didn't know if you had more to say about it.
Speaker 1: No, that was it.
Speaker 2: Fifty bucks gets you a pass to a no line restroom, correct, all right, So you're you're looking for the the richer fans to put this bill.
Speaker 1: We are basically all of my ideas are scamming the people who go to the game.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's so smart, ty A, what a good thing for college football. Scam people going to games.
Speaker 1: Option two, yeah, I call this workable Wi Fi. Okay, workable Wi Fi. So you go up like in a plane and they charge you for the Wi Fi.
Speaker 2: M hmm.
Speaker 1: Kind of a scam. But also, oh, when you want it, you really want it. Yeah, everybody, you look in the stands. I'm not suggesting that we want more people on their phones during games. But let's just be real with where we're at in twenty twenty five. Everyone's on their phone anyway. Right, Let's charge for Wi Fi in the stadiums, workable Wi Fi in the stadiums, because right now none of them work. Yeah, pay twenty five bucks, just like you would in an airplane. You get access to actually functional Wi Fi.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's good. I like that, not bad, right, I like that.
Speaker 1: We're stepping up here. Yeah, rentable AR headsets.
Speaker 2: Augmented reality headsets hundred bucks, hundred bucks. And what is the augmentation to college football that you're getting at a game.
Speaker 1: It's not unlike those little radios that used to be able to rent where you could hear the play by play guy, right, But with an AR headset, you get the first down line, get all the relevant stats, you get instant replay if you want that. Think of all the things that they could pack into enhance the experience and just be like watching on TV. Really, but you would get the benefit of some real time updates as you are watching in the stance.
Speaker 2: Right. Hundred bucks, hundred bucks.
Speaker 1: I don't know how you prevent those from being stolen. But you know somebody can come up.
Speaker 2: With that's okay.
Speaker 1: I'm just an idea guy, Dan, That's what I hear you. I hear you, And here is my big one. Okay, I'm ready sitting down. I'm calling this door dash for concessions. Okay, okay, you charge a small fee on top of your concession orders so that they can be delivered directly to your seat.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, my idea for this is using delivery drones. I don't know the legality of this.
Speaker 2: Drones hovering over a stadium dropping pad tie.
Speaker 1: They're not dropping pad tie, Okay, they're dropping they're lowering down. Yeah, some sort of order from the concession stands. Yeah, all right, so you're not ordering out burger King. But if Burger King is in the stadium and you want to have it delivered to your seat, we would program these delivery drones so that it only happens during commercial breaks. We don't want them buzzing around while the action is actually unfolding. Right, Maybe you could have them launch from a spot on the roof or in the parking lot. You have a couple hundred of them. Each of them can handle two orders of pop got an app on the phone, provided you've got workable Wi Fi. Maybe that's why you get the subscription yep, and then boom. Instead of having a get up and stand in the line and deal with that entire circus, you just have this thing come buzzing on down from the sky, lowers your nacho order down, yeah, and then buzzes off. Before you know what, the game's back on. You don't even have to leave your seat, right just start. Just are just small feel on top of whatever it would cost you otherwise. Now, concessions are already expensive. I'm not saying that this is economical, but if we're looking for ways to try and drum up a little bit more revenue, fill the coffers, because you've got to pay the players, or you want to pay the players. To Tyler's point one hundred and five, the park, that's pretty steep. That's going to keep people out. Once we get people in, that's when we've got a captive audience. And that's why we do door dash for concessions.
Speaker 2: Okay, fair enough, I appreciate that this is all I have. The problem is, I think a lot of people are tailgating and they're coming into the game pretty full right, like the selling point of college football, I think the hot dog in nacho quality and demand. I don't think it's the huge selling point of going to a game, right. It's the environment, It's being with your friends, it's the ability to tailgate beforehand, it's the traditions. Like improving concessions is worthwhile. I just don't know if people are freaking out about a revolutionary concession system. Listen, people are drunk before they come into the stadium. That doesn't stop them from buying more beer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and maybe the reason that people aren't buying more concessions is because they don't want to deal with the crowds and the line, right, and the inconvenience of that. So I am offering to America to eighties out there, to university presidents, maybe lawyers. I don't know who's involved in this process, but this is how we this is how we drum up interesting concessions. And maybe this gives stadiums a little bit more of a chance to bring in different vendors. Sure, offer more different types of concessions that people would want to.
Speaker 2: But that's all like taking care of an edge rusher for the season, right, Like we had eight hundred and fifty grand. Like, great, that's going to mateo u jungalo.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, he asked the question. I'm trying to be creative here. I haven't heard anything from you.
Speaker 2: Okay, who are on an individual basis? Who are the people who are able to generate the most on site income relative to the work they actually do? I wrote down here cart girls. Now is that a problematic answer? Of course it is, sure, yes, of course, But extrapolate that over a whole stadium. Now we've got two edge rushers. Okay, next item week four in ri odd Now perhaps even more problematic.
Speaker 1: You want more international games.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, in terms of how quickly you can make money live college football, zero conscious conscience.
Speaker 1: You live college football.
Speaker 2: I mean teams of Colorado already, like had a rogue Stafford explore that right, yes, somewhere looking for Middle Eastern money. Correct, that's that's not a great answer. Here's here's an interesting thing. And I don't I don't, I don't know actually know how interesting it is. But this is this is where my wheels were turning. What if you canceled everybody's season tickets and or the best season tickets in the stadium and reopened them up in like a bid system.
Speaker 1: I mean, if the state of the game right now, Yeah, we just did a whole episode on this. If the state of the game right now is potentially alienating the biggest fans of the game, what do you think that would do well?
Speaker 2: This is the richest fans, not the biggest game, biggest fans, richest fans.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't know exactly how this would work, but I'm saying, like, free market the best tickets and see where it gets you. Maybe it's a terrible idea. I don't know. I don't know what you did. Like at this point, Like truly, if there are any entities out there that I feel the least for in terms of sympathy, major college football programs trying to figure out how to make ends meet, especially if you're in the Big ten and SEC like Penn State jacking up what do you say parking prices here? Yeah, hundred bucks to park. I just don't feel bad for Penn State, Like, I don't think we need to put our extremely limited brain power towards figuring out these schools with these enormous endowments. Obviously they're earmarked for specific programs and situations, but like, I don't know crime a River. I don't care if Penn State doesn't have enough money to pay the next you know dds, it doesn't matter to me. Like I just care about the football. And so if these schools are all going to cry poor and are going to cut back the number of people who are photo shopping, you know, happy birthday message is to high school sophomores, so be it. That's okay. I look, they're gonna they're gonna get creative with it. They're going to charge more for everything, they're going to pass along, you know whatever, people parking their car. They're not going to do enough to improve the in game environment, despite all of your pleas to drop pad tie drones, which I don't think is a bad idea. I would love to subscribe to a pad tie drone.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, But.
Speaker 2: I just I don't feel bad. I don't feel like I feel bad for smaller schools trying to figure it out and how to compete. But like Penn State jacking up parking prices, in what universe is that going to make anybody want to go to these games?
Speaker 1: That's my point. That's my point. I am focusing on the in stadium experience right and not putting up the barrier to get in the stadium that I think one hundred and five does when it comes to parking.
Speaker 2: But what is what is better Wi Fi going to do? Like I'm on the fence about going to Penn State Northwestern, but excuse me, excuse me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there are still gigantic student sections in all of these stadiums. You don't think that there would be something of an appeal for that audience Wi Fi? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Do you know how much big screen TVs costs? Now? Every student has one. If you've got three hundred and fifty bucks, you can sit at home. You can inject comedies do you want. They're all on their phones. They are, But they can be on their phones at home too.
Speaker 1: But they're not. They're at the games. They're on their phones.
Speaker 2: Some are, I mean saying, look at what Nick Saban complained about at the end of his career and people leaving in the student section.
Speaker 1: Not I know, listen, I know I'm not necessary for as much as I'm on my phone normally if I'm at a game, I'm not really on the phone. I'm watching the game, but I'm also not necessarily who this is target toward, targeted towards. So now and I probably still would pay it to get better WiFi just in case.
Speaker 2: So now we circle back to art girls. Three per section, five per section, all with bodyguards. You know, safety is paramount.
Speaker 1: Here the bodyguards. Yeah, unfortunately, But.
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, those add up, those tips add up? I have no I have no clue how these places who are making tens upon tens upon millions of dollars from TV arrangements that they have all they're all in bed with and didn't pay money to players forever and ever and ever. I just I just think it's a reckoning, you know, tighten up the b hole and deal with it. Why don't we go out on this note? Then?
Speaker 1: Yeah, a non college football note from Gary. I am in no way qualified to answer this question. Okay, he wants tips from Dan for traveling flying to California from New Jersey with a six year old and a two year old. He said, my wife, me and my wife, two kids and in laws. We're all going to Disneyland Universal a Dodgers game of Padres game, the San Diego Zoo doing the whole thing out there.
Speaker 2: So it's extended family doing touristy things in southern California with a six year old and two year old.
Speaker 1: He's looking for travel tips.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean everybody, every parent has their own philosophy. My philosophy as anything goes at thirty five thousand feet. So Pixar movies, you know, if the kids into sports, you can download a bunch of stuff off a YouTube. You just you always want to have more snacks and water availability than you need. Right, comfort is huge, but there's only so much, Like a two year old's tough on a plane, Like eighteen months until three is generally, in my experience, extended iPad age. Again, anything goes so lots of snacks, lots of entertainment. Maybe stickers are really good on a plane, like the easily stickers, so easy, like the sort of more like the clear stickers that like like decal type stickers that really come off of things.
Speaker 1: What are we doing with those?
Speaker 2: Are you putting on the window the back of seats and stuff like that? Oh I thought you were putting them over the child's mouth.
Speaker 1: I'm like, what are we gone?
Speaker 2: No? No, no, no, not tape, not doing decals, stuff like that. That that can that can take you for a while in terms of going to theme parks like the Zoo and SeaWorld and Disneyland and stuff. Get the double stroller the kids. Kid's not going to be happy on his or her feet for an extended period of time. You gotta go double stroller there. Again, it's snacks, it's recognizing the heat outside and making sure you're in the shade. You know, it's just it's all about comfort and it's uh, I know, dealing with in laws and extended family on those things. You have to set expectations early, like guys are not hitting every ride, this is our plan, and leave earlier than you think because kids expire and everybody's tired. Oh you've never heard that turn of phrase.
Speaker 1: No, I've heard it used when we're referencing death. Not necessarily just getting tired.
Speaker 2: There is just a certain amount of energy and like they're going to be just jacked out of their minds with excitement about things. Right, they're going to be seeing killer whales who should never be in captivity by the way, Gacie blackfish, of course, and you're going to be waiting in lines at Disney, like they're just going to be antsy and just the dopamine hits are going to be through the roof. And so if they're normally like that, at like five point thirty six pm, like they start to expire, it's me four fifteen, right, expire. I use that word every day. So leave yourself cushions, right, have more food on hand than you think, more granola bars, more water bottles, more cups of grapes, more whatever. Try your best, in my opinion, try your best to not you know, fully eliminate, but do a good job with the sugar, because that becomes, you know, a fuel to be all over the place for some kids, So you fill their bellies. Right. If it's just garbage, then they're just they're wild cards, man, especially out in the wild, like going to a new place in a new state and they're seeing dopey and they're seeing a dolphin jumping, and like, you just got to manage expectations with the family. Take breaks and do your best, do your best. Realize that they're the especially the two year old is not going to remember any of it. So live in the moment with the two year old and try to see the world through their eyes, and you know, realize that this isn't about you. But honestly, ty, if we're being real, if I can, if I can pull everybody into my my truth corner over here, Sure, Disney kind of sucks. I've never been to either the and I know people love it, and I grew up loving it, and I went even as a grown up, like when I was in my twenties, and I would go with buddies who worked for ESPN or ABC and would get free park passes and stuff. It was pretty fun. I went with kids last month or two months ago, and the ratio of enjoyment to just sitting in a line, and it's so crowded. I've never been Disney World, so I can't speak to that. But Disneyland specifically, it's not great. And like, if your kid doesn't actually have a reference point, like hasn't seen every Disney movie, it's not mandatory. You can live an awesome life without like sitting in Disney lines. And you don't want them to be a pariah. And all their friends have been to Disney and they've never been to Disney. But if they don't even have the reference point that they haven't seen the Seven Dwarfs and Beauty and the Beast and Toy Story and all, you know, everything in Star Wars. The Star Wars Land, by the way, they did an awesome job with it. It looks really cool. I didn't my kids didn't care about Star Wars, so we didn't do any of that stuff. But we walked through the new Star Wars Land or whatever it's called.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's so crazy expensive and you're waiting in lines and it's packed and it's hot, like Disneyland's cool, but also you just don't it's not mandatory.
Speaker 1: Well, good Gary, Gary is now canceling his trip. Good, I don't go to the beach kids disappointed. I've never been. I've never been to Disney or Disney World.
Speaker 2: I'm not a zoo guy, but I understand the appeal of taking kids to a zoo.
Speaker 1: San Diego Zoo's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: San Diego Zoo is great, and there's like the wildlife part life the wildlife parks where animals are more out in the open, like dirabs are running on Is it grabs giraffes? Can we do diraffs on the show? If it stabs and halves. It would it would have to be drafs, it would have to be giraffes. So if a herd of, is it a herd of?
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna let you talk. Man.
Speaker 2: If it's a.
Speaker 1: Giraffe, if you want to invent animal terms, go for it.
Speaker 2: I'm standing with draves. I understand why this appealing for kids. You know, you peak curiosity, you see different species that you never be able to see. I'm not a zoo guy, now, I'm not a marine park guy, but I understand the appeal for kids that you're opening their eyes to, you know, a broader world. So that's cool.
Speaker 1: Kids love diraffs.
Speaker 2: But I'd go broader world rather than small world. How about that tie, because it's a small world after all.
Speaker 1: Wow, put a bow on the whole thing. All right. Uh, thank you to Gary for that wonderful question. Thank you to Tyler.
Speaker 2: And stay away from Hollywood. By the way, if you're going out to La, don't do don't do the Walk of Fame, don't do the whatever it's called Gramman's Chinese Theater. Hollywood's terrible. There are great parts of LA. There are great parts of southern California. Hollywood specifically, it's like Times Square. There is just don't do it. Don't go for a hike, go for Santa Monica, go for anywhere, go for Carlsbad, Go to Griffith Park, the La Zoo, go to a Dodger game. There's a ton to do that's super fun. Stay away from Hollywood. It's terrible.
Speaker 1: All right, there you go. Wow, Okay, coming in hot here. I like it. Yeah, I like it.
Speaker 2: Go to Amoba Records.
Speaker 1: Amiba Records sounds beautiful. Thank you everybody who chimed in. We have a bunch more questions that we did not get to. We're going to save up some of these and we'll include those part of our upcoming bonus episodes. So if you didn't hear your question today, we got about two dozen of them. Maybe we'll try to go rapid fire through them on the bonus episode a little bit later on this week, next couple episodes, we're gonna be talking Florida with a good friend, Gator Dave. He's going to stop by a little bit later on this week. We'll have that. We've also got a conversation I think coming up. We want to talk about this game draft that we read about on the athletic seems a ton of fun, So we're gonna work up something.
Speaker 2: That's TV network drafting games to be more.
Speaker 1: Specific, correct, Yes, Scott Document wrote an article about that, so we want to talk about that process and try to understand that a little bit more since you and I both found interesting. Yeah, we're gonna be rampant things up here. Still two episodes a week, but getting a little bit closer to the twenty twenty five season. Once we start talking July, Dan, then we start talking previews. So if anybody out there has suggestions for what we can do to improve the previews to make it more valuable for you, the trusted Verballer, we'd love to hear that. Hit us up on social media soliverbal at gmail dot com, or of course you can go to Verballers dot com if you want more of the bonus stuff and to support more directly the stuff that Dan and I are doing. Correct, why don't we leave it there, big thanks again to everybody who chimed in. Happy June to you and yours for that guy over there, my good friend Danrew see myself, Tie Hume Brad talk you also stays out please m mhm