Speaker 1: Cats buds. That's okayas no one here is.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to another episode of teen Beat. I'm Danielle Fischel, host of not only this podcast, but of the nineteen ninety seven Disney World Easter Parade. It was hot and I wore a big hat, but now I wear many hats, and this one has me sitting with interesting people who've done interesting things every single week, tapping into their teenage years to find the awkward and uncomfortable truths that connect us as members of.
Speaker 3: The human race.
Speaker 2: Because even if you were on TV as a kid, like I was exposing every moment of your puberty to millions of viewers looking back as a way to learn more about who we've become today.
Speaker 3: I look at it this way. I gave you my childhood.
Speaker 2: It's time we hear yours. This week, I'm talking to a pivotal piece of what I'm calling the Canadian invasion of Y two K. Whether it was Ryan Gosling breaking out from the Mickey Mouse Club, or Nellie Furtado flying like a bird, Hayden Christiansen being cast as a young Anakin skywalker, or Avril Levine wearing a tie over a tank top. The Great North really was quite great, and the all out attack also included a Calgary born, Montreal raised actress who first found the spotlight as the young co host of Popular Mechanics for Kids, arguably the oddest magazine to ever become children's programming unless there was a good Housekeeping for tweens show that never hit the States. She would stay in Canada for her first major role in Air Speed alongside Joe Montaigna, and then the Gemini Award winning Lucky Girl, leading her to Los Angeles in two thousand and one, where her whole life changed when she was cast as Kim Bauer, Keifer Sutherland's always in peril daughter in the pop culture smash twenty four. She'd also appear in classic movies like Old School and Love Actually, and then supply the Internet with thousands of beautiful gifts from the movie The Girl next Door. But it's her time on wildly underappreciated projects that interests me most, like one of TV's funniest modern day sitcoms, Happy Endings, and the two thousand and five MTV generation remake of House of Wax, which was much better than it ever should have been. Now she's returned to our screens after a four year hiatus where she focused on being a mom, but now appearing as Sue Flork in the romantic drama series Every Year After, currently available to stream in full on Prime Video and today. As fellow members of the Maxim FHM Complex magazine generation of Young Hollywood, we will sit together and chat about what it was like to grow up, both on.
Speaker 3: And off camera.
Speaker 2: Because even though in twenty thirteen she was crowned TV's most Beautiful Woman, I think deep down she must have some teenage embarrassment to share. Welcome to teen Beat. The most famous Canadian to never appear on an episode of De Grassy High.
Speaker 3: It's Alicia Cuthbert. Hi.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh my gosh, that kind of made me want to cry. You did that better than anyone I've ever heard before.
Speaker 3: Oh thank you.
Speaker 1: I couldn't have given my career any better words than that. I mean, that was that was the whole kit and kaboodle.
Speaker 2: You know, sometimes it's just nice to hear all of your incredible accomplishments.
Speaker 3: Redbat to you.
Speaker 1: I was getting a little teary eyed. They're like that, but I was also laughing. I was like, this is all very accurate. And it's touching my heart. So thank you for that.
Speaker 2: You are so welcome. Thank you so much for joining me here on teen Beat. I know I joked about it at the end of your intro, but I do need to know. How did you not end up on Degrassi.
Speaker 1: I was just going to say, I mean, until you just uttered those words. I realized that now I have a little bit of a grudge, like, what the hell happened that I didn't get to be on that show? But you know, the director, Kit Hood, he he was one of the bigger like creators of that show, and I ended up he directed me in a film, a feature film in Canada, So I guess I could say I have a little connection, but not actually on the show, but yeah, it was. It was a movie called Dancing on the Moon. And you talk about embarrassment, I think I had my first kiss on and it was on screen, so I was so nervous.
Speaker 2: And something else you can share. My first kiss was on camera too. How old were you.
Speaker 1: Want to say? I was fourteen? Okay, yeah, weird. I can't picture him. I'd have to go back and look, I can't picture like I can't. I was so petrified and I was so out of my element that, like you know when you have like a trauma experience and you like walk it out like did that even happen? Like I don't even know, but it's true, And I mean, yeah, that was so what was your? Was yours? How scary? It was so scary, wasn't it?
Speaker 3: It was scary.
Speaker 2: We had a live studio audience because it was on a sitcom, so it was you know, live studio audience and my grandparents and my parents. It was like everybody's watching. And we didn't kiss through the week, so we didn't rehearse the kiss, so like the actual first time kiss kiss was in front of you know, hundreds of people and on camera.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Yeah. No, we had and our we had a crew, and it was so crazy. They they it just ended up that it was scheduled for the last scene of the night. And so I had just stew on it like all night, all day and all night like leading up to it, and I just I had put it in my head like one I didn't want to mess it up because I was like, I don't know how to do this. So if like I got to go in there, what if I like fumble and like kisses nose or I don't.
Speaker 3: Know, like I own my hands off.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, what if our teak link? I was like, I don't know what to do, but it ended up happening and it was fine, and I was like, I don't know why I made such a big deal of it, but I yeah, it was very scary, but yeah, that's it's so funny, like you put yourself in these situations on set that you know because you're you're acting and it's not real, but yet I mean, obviously you're a part of it and it's.
Speaker 2: Your physical body bringing it to life. So like it's not a fake kiss. There may not be like sexual tension behind it, but there's it's really happening.
Speaker 1: It's really happening.
Speaker 2: I want to go back to even earlier because I know you started modeling at just seven years old, and I want to know how did that come about? Because I'm always interested in the moment you go from just adorable child to adorable child model, Like were you discovered in the Tim Horton's How did this?
Speaker 3: How did it happen?
Speaker 1: You know, it's so funny. My mom and dad would get you know, pestered a lot, like when we were out together when I was like a real infant, even like I think my mom has a story you'd have to tell, ask her, but like, I mean, there were stories where people would come up and be like, oh, you should put her inmaddling, And it was just I think fate was sort of aligning this path for me way earlier than I even understood. And then at one point a family friend was a casting director but and she had mentioned to my parents about maybe having me, you know, just go and do some modeling stuff. And so they finally relented and they were just like, Okay, let's let's let's do this. And I mean, I was so young, I didn't even and I just knew I was having a good time. I didn't know that it was like work per se. I just thought it was really fun activity to do. But yeah, I would say that, like I look back on it, and it is mysterious in a way that like not my parents or anyone else that was in my inner circle where ever pushing it was just things were sort of coming into my path in a way that I can't even explain. It is. It is one of those mysterious things that I that I still question and I go, well, obviously I'm on the path that I should be on, and fate was sort of leading me towards that.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, that's another thing we share very similar story paper.
Speaker 3: I feel that was going to happen everywhere we went.
Speaker 2: My parents were told, you should get her in you need to get her in modeling, or you need to get her in commercials.
Speaker 3: And it was and my parents were.
Speaker 2: Like, we don't know anything about this, like none, no one in our family did it. They were like, we don't know how to do it. And then when that wasn't working, a girl I went to school with got an agent and she just told me about it and I went home and then was like, I want an agent. It was like the universe was like, all right, we'll try all these different avenues until you land down the path that you're gonna land.
Speaker 1: And I think too, I think our personalities. I mean, I was not a shy child. I was always interested in speaking to people, like you know, I with my son, particularly like you know, we work on like when we're at a restaurant, like I try to encourage him to order what he wants and not you know, kind of step over that. And but of course he's he's timid, and he's shy, he's little, and but you know, I do recall being younger and having this sort of fearless personality. I feel like I'm more shy now in my adulthood than I was then. But I I agreed, right, And I remember just being like ready to go to anybody be like, hey, what's up totally? What's your story?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Tell me more? What's that? What are you doing?
Speaker 1: Yeah? How can I help you? Like? What what?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: I'll have the cheeseburger with the you know.
Speaker 3: My son's like, yeah, I know, I know.
Speaker 2: I need to work on that too, because they both my kids have when they're when they warm up, both of them turn on these big personalities, but there's always that moment where they have to decide, am I going to do a dation a little?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So, like it's probably a smart idea right before you walk into a place, to be like, let's practice what we're going to do.
Speaker 3: We're going to walk into a restaurant, you're going to order, so.
Speaker 2: Let's pretend I'm the waiter, you know, like even just to give them a practice run at it right before it happens. But that's really smart that you're encouraging that because people's skills are a lost start.
Speaker 1: For well, they're turning into a lot of star people learning how to communicate. Is is dying out slowly. I mean, it's so strange to see. But yeah, we really do try to encourage the kids to be as independent as possible, and especially in those scenarios because you know, they have to learn how to speak up for themselves at some point. And I may not always be right there at his side or her side because we have an eight year old daughter as well, where you know, I can you know, always like they can always fall back on. I want them to, you know, have the skills to at least order a.
Speaker 2: Meal exactly, at least be able to say you'd like a cheeseburger. You know, you've got to be able to do that exactly. Let's chat popular mechanics for KOOO. You posted seasons one through four and it was based on a magazine and you covered topics like animals, the human body, amusement, parks, electricity. Is there one lesson or something you learned from the show, like maybe a fact or a topic that is still weirdly with you.
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny, there are there's plenty, and it's weird. How like throughout my life they've helped me because it was almost like another mini education for four years that was so intense, and like, I find myself way more handy than I ever should have been as far as like I mean, I'll give you an example, like our toilet was running the other day and I just you know, didn't even think twice, just lifted the lid, knew the mechanics of it. Oh, the chain's off, the chain back bank, toilet's working again, And I'm like, wait, how did I just do that?
Speaker 3: I don't hate that.
Speaker 1: It has to be something to do with all of the mechanical education I had on that show. But we also got to do some really cool things that no one else had ever gotten to do. I mean, at one point we were on invited onto an aircraft carrier for three days and I mean just getting all the information on how the whole craft ran, you know, getting to be catapulted off the craft. I mean, I don't think there was no other television crew up until that point. I mean I don't know about now, but up until that point when we were there. It was the first TV crew to ever be invited to film on an aircraft carrier. So it was super top secret and it was super yeah exclusive, and it was a really cool thing. So I remember like getting to like walk away from those experiences and be like, there's no one else on the planet that other than a military trained personnel person would if that's what you call them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's the official title.
Speaker 1: Yeah that sounded official, but yeah, other than like people that were trained to be there, you know. I was like, I we are so special, We're so lucky, and yeah, you learn like little things like you know, the the flight takes off, like you go from zero to like sixty and like two seconds to get catfolded off. That it was like unbelievable. And yeah, so I mean in the list goes on and on, I just yeah, as far as like electricity goes and you know, hot air balloons. We were up in hot air balloons. I rode an elephant. I mean I got like I always say to my husband, I'm like, sometimes I feel like when I go back and people ask me about the show, I feel like that Doseci guy on the Comer. I feel like the most fascinating because every you know, the best thing that came away from it is that no matter where I am at any dinner party or any sort of event, I can I feel like I can converse with almost anybody on most topics. So it's it was a really yeah, like really amazing experience to have.
Speaker 2: What a great work experience, Like, yeah, it sounds so fun. Did you get to spend any of your popular mechanics money did you have? Like what was the first thing you treated yourself to as a kid.
Speaker 1: No, you know, I my parents helped me save it all and I used it to uh move to Los Angeles and get an apartment and you know, try to make it in Hollywood. That's really where all that money.
Speaker 3: Went, yeah, which is an expensive endeavor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was. So I was like I was and you probably know I was at the Oakwood apartment and Boulevard right brothers. I was like feeling very uh you know, old Hollywood in that way, and it was it was and you know, Jay Bearishall also moved in there. Another actor we know, Andrew Walker, he's also a good actor. He was he was there at that every like they're like generational groups of actors that sort of find themselves at or if it's.
Speaker 3: It doesn't even exist anymore.
Speaker 1: No, well there you go.
Speaker 2: I know, I know it's it's a real time capsule. But we we we talk about it on Podmeats World all the time because it seems as though everyone lived there at some point. Everyone had their friends, their crew that lived there.
Speaker 3: Uh. Yeah, it's it's quite it.
Speaker 1: It was. It was scary, but it was iconic, exactly.
Speaker 2: It was both of those things at the same time. Kind of like in general the teenage years. It's just scary but iconic exactly. One thing I have to ask you, because it's a pretty famous story that Hillary Clinton saw one of your reports and reached out to you to meet at the White House. Yes, did you steal anything to take it home? Don't worry, I think the statute of limitations has passed.
Speaker 3: But I'm dying to know. Do you have any sort of memento from your time at the White House.
Speaker 1: I was too I was too afraid to steal anything, but I will say I will say that I got to hold socks the cat. I don't know if you remember they had a black piece, yes, And I don't know if you're a cat person. But I remember seeing the cat come down the famous corridor with the red carpet and I was like, is that socks And they were like, yeah, do you want to hold them? I'm like yes. So I was like I got a chance to, you know, hang out with the cat, which was great. And you know, I ended up seeing Hillary Clinton again, like twenty years after the fact, and I knew I was going to see her because she was speaking at an event that I was at, and I thought, well, if there's a chance that I could, you know, maybe run into her, I should keep this. I snagged up photo that we took together from twenty years ago on my phone and I ended up getting to speak with her and I said, I have I met you at the White House and it was so amazing and I'm sure because she's met a million horns two people, and so I showed her the photograph and she loved it. She was like, look at my hair. I'm like, look at my hair. We were just like laughing at the fact that our hair was so hers hers was really short. It was really cute. She said she looked great, but we were totally laughing like old girlfriends about her hairstyles and what we were wearing. She goes, I remember that pink suit. I'm like, oh my gosh, I said, I don't know why I was wearing a man's blazer, but I guess that made me feel official. But we were dying and it was so funny, and yeah, it was a really cool thing. We got to go into all the different rooms and that we met in the we had a meeting in the mapping room together. And she just she loved Popular Mechanics for Kids because at the time she was involved in educational programming in the US and she was trying to get every broadcast station to at least have one or two educational programs for kids. Yeah, and so when she saw that Canada was doing Popular Maccancs for kids, she ended up getting it syndicated through the States. And yeah, she really liked it. So it was really cool.
Speaker 3: That is so cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, on a broader scale, what were you like as a teen?
Speaker 3: Were you boy crazy?
Speaker 1: Not? Really?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love that for you. I was. I wish I wasn't.
Speaker 2: I wish I didn't waste so many years of my life just being obsessed with boys. So I just, yeah, I love that for you, Well, were you into.
Speaker 1: I think I was like an old soul.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: I always thought that it's funny because it's so the opposite of how my personal life turned out. But I always thought that I wouldn't get married and that I wouldn't have kids. And I was like dad set on being a professional and wanting to just be this like I don't know, Meryl Street. I was so driven and I had like the horse blinders on and I I mean, I had a boyfriend in high school that I had for many years and I didn't really yeah, I didn't. I didn't really have any others. And then it was but I was really focused on my career and yeah, and it wasn't. And I was terrified about having children too. I felt like there's I was scared to, you know, be pregnant. I was scared to think that I could be like a great mom because my mom was so amazing. And I was like, wow, I'm such a working person. I don't see how this fits into my life. Yeah, but then you know, you meet the right person and then those things become so clear, yeah, and so factual and correct, and yeah, you can't imagine not doing it.
Speaker 3: So totally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that all shifted for me. But for many, many, many, many many years, it was just all work driven, which is crazy, right, And yeah.
Speaker 3: I really do though.
Speaker 2: I so appreciate that because it's the exact opposite of how I was, and I wish I had been like here I was from twelve to nineteen on boy meets World, working and all I could think, thank you, And all I could think was like, ugh, this career I have is really taking me away from my purpose, which is to get married and have children as soon as humanly possible. And I think part of that was the fact that my parents met at fifteen and got married at twenty one, and so I just had in my mind that like, that's what.
Speaker 3: I was going to do.
Speaker 2: And then of course that's not at all how my life turned out. But I spent all those years thinking that I was failing because that wasn't what was happening. And so yeah, like I just I'm so I loved hearing that you spent all those years being like, I'm just gonna focus on me.
Speaker 3: I was a cold hearted No, you had a long term boyfriend.
Speaker 2: It wasn't that you didn't have love in your life. You just thought that was not what you were obsessed with. You were like, I'm gonna develop my sense of self, which I wish I had done more of in my umber years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny. I feel like what you experienced, though, is very natural and makes a whole lot of sense. I was just always conflicted as to why I didn't want any of those things, and I just thought, that's so strange to like not be one of like my girlfriends or even my sister. I remember my sister, like when we used to play when we were kids, it was like, oh, her dolls were her babies, and I was like, oh, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know, babies, ill not babies.
Speaker 1: Ell.
Speaker 2: No, did you go to traditional school while you were working as a kid or did you were you always homeschooled?
Speaker 1: I went to traditional school, although my experience was so ridiculous because I probably should have been homeschooled. I think a lot of my last three four years of high school were you know, in the trailer and with the on set tutors and you know, the drill. I did all my exams and yeah, like the trailers. It was so weird. I mean I remember at one point, like, you know, your attendance report card at the end, and it was like, I think I missed like half the school year. But I will say when I was home and you know, I would get back from filming, it would go I'd go, yeah, just like a normal kid, I'd go straight to school and regular high school. Yeah. It was you know, it was weird. I I always felt like high school and elementary at the time because I was filming, felt like such a burden, like it was in my way right. I was like, this is like it was always aggravating because here I was trying to focus one hundred percent of my time and energy into what I was filming, and then they'd have to like rip me off set for two hours to study math and English, and I'm like, I'm not gonna need any of this. I want to learn English, and you know, I yeah, I was like, I don't want to like be in school. I have a job, Like, isn't the whole point of going to school to train to do something and I'm already doing it. So it always I always had this like real bad tug of war with it, and I couldn't wait for it to be over. And then now again ironically I wish I would have had like the college university experience and knew what that felt like. I never got to really do any of that, And I think i'd be a way better student now too, because I you know, as you get older, you your mind, you're quenched to like learn and take in new things and experiences. And I know what I'd want to study, and so it would be you know, at one point during COVID, I almost try to do some online university classes, and but then I was like, oh gosh, the kids, and I was like, nah, maybe not, I'll just keep drinking my wine.
Speaker 3: What would you want to study now?
Speaker 1: I think I would like history, art history. I think like Cornell had some really cool like women leaders in business nice. I don't know there was some other topics, but yeah, I think like there were so many. And I was extremely dyslexic as a child, okay, and which most artists, I think most artistic people can be. It's not uncommon. But I really struggled and then but now I've found a way to you know, ease my mind work into it. I read so much now and so studying and all that I think would come a lot more naturally to me, so yeah, but I did end up doing it.
Speaker 2: Very similarly, I also did not enjoy or appreciate school when.
Speaker 3: I was I just it was. It felt annoying to me.
Speaker 2: It was not my favorite thing. I just wanted to do the bare minimum I could do to still get by. But then I did go to college at twenty seven. I studied, and I knew I wanted to study psychology, and I graduated and I loved it. So I think you're right that you now that you have a you know, a better understanding of what specifically you'd be looking for to you know, you could take any classes you want. You're not limited by like getting a specific type of degree. You'd probably be an A plus student and would love it. So I highly recommend just signing up even just one, one little class, you know, class online.
Speaker 1: Just like yeah, I dip my toe and your toe in.
Speaker 3: See what happens. If you end up loving it, you can always do.
Speaker 1: More amazing.
Speaker 3: When you look back.
Speaker 2: Would you consider yourself to be a cool kid because it seems like you'd be really cool.
Speaker 4: I don't know about cool, but I would say that I really got along with everybody I wasn't in like some mean girl clique or.
Speaker 1: I'd say it was like very much Canadian in the sense that I was super neutral.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everybody's great.
Speaker 1: I Yeah, everyone's amazing. I would hang out with like the goth kids. I would talk to, like the athletes I liked, you know. But I did have my two really best girlfriends. They were like my steadfast like we were always thickest thieves together, Jan and Steph, and we were just they were my people. And then but I really got along with everybody and I so I would say not so much popular, but I don't think anyone, you know, I don't think anyone had a problem with me, right, you know, you.
Speaker 3: Weren't offensive to anyone.
Speaker 1: I wasn't. I wasn't. But I wouldn't say I was like the cool kid. I just think, Yeah, like I said, I feel like, you know, neutral would be the best way to describe it.
Speaker 2: Totally get that. Are you still friends with Jen and Steph?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Steph? You know I haven't talked to Stephan a while, but Jen, Yes, Jen, I I I'm still close with. Yeah. It's uh that that those are friendships that you know, you go through life and they're just with you for so many years. Of it, and they've you know, they've been there through such interesting times too, and you're like adolescents when you're becoming an adult and going through those, like you said, those awkward teenage years. You know, we have so many funny stories and history together that you just it's undeniable, like it no matter how much time we have a part, or how much time goes without a phone call. I know that when I do speak to her, it's like we never left, and those are like so special and really, yeah, you kind of cherish those those friendships. It's because it's in your adulthood. It's really hard to make friends like that because the history is just not there.
Speaker 2: Exactly yep, I know, And they're getting to know such a I feel like friends you make now only get to know one very specific briide of you, version of you. Yeah, whereas you know, and this version of me is not even the best version, not that it's a bad version, but like there was a time before children where I was more fun and I'm just not as fun now, And so no offense to the new friends I have, but you're not getting the most fun me.
Speaker 3: You're getting a very kind of structured now.
Speaker 1: When we want to be like the fun version of ourselves. We pay for it totally, like there's no like I remember after having our first I had I forget. It was like, I don't know what we were doing, but we had a night out and my parents were watching our daughter and we got home at like, I don't know, twelve thirty and I certainly had too much wine or whatever it was, and I just wanted to, like, you know, treat myself. I had finally finished breastfeeding. I was like, oo, time to go. And that was the night my daughter decided in the middle of the night to have a flu throwing up. My head was pounding. It was like they know they can sniff out when you're trying to enjoy yourself exactly, you're just a little naughty. They just know when you want to be a little naughty.
Speaker 3: Totally. They're like, are you having fun without it?
Speaker 1: They're like, I'm gonna decide to get blue and you're like really, or my teeths are going to start coming in and I'm going to have a fever. Thank you.
Speaker 3: It's always the way.
Speaker 1: Oh they wait, They wait until you're in the worst position ever.
Speaker 2: So I want to go back to when you moved out to Hollywood, which I think was two thousand and one, you were not even twenty one. Two thousand, okay, so two thousand, you're not even twenty one years old. No, did you come out by yourself? Were you super nervous? Did you all like, did you know people?
Speaker 1: Now I didn't any This is a funny story actually, so I didn't know anyone. Like I said, I had a place at the Oakward Apartments, and I I'm not even kidding you. When I landed, I get to the apartment and I get through the door and I'm like, okay, I'm going to like set up all my stuff. And really the only possessions that I had were like my clothing, my toiletries, and like twelve of my favorite DVDs. Because now we're talking. Wait, all these people kids listening to this, They're like, it's a DVD. Yes, I had DVDs, my favorite DVDs, and I opened my suitcase and they're all gone. So from the store loved, Yeah, from the time I left Canada to the time I got someone you know, in transit ended up opening my suitcase and stealing all my DVDs. So all I had was clothing and toils. I have to tell you I wasn't afraid to be in LA. I was excited. I was really ready to like do everything I could to make it and to hopefully get a job there. But what I will say is that the one thing I wasn't expecting was like the loneliness. And I think, you know, not having DVDs didn't help.
Speaker 3: Nothing to watch.
Speaker 1: I mean that was that was like my fallback of like I know it when I'm not like reading scripts and going to auditions.
Speaker 3: Mom's asked my favorite movies. Yeah, didn't even have that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it was my first experience away. And you know how hard it is in LA to like meet people, You're either in your car. I'm sure your guests have said this. It's like LA is not a very easy place to just socialize. When you're in New York. You walk down the street, there's bodies, there's people everywhere. Yes, LA doesn't have that culture. So I just spent a lot of time by myself for a good I want to say, like gear, Yeah, pretty secluded and that was there were Yeah, there were moments where I just I didn't want to give up. I didn't It didn't propel me to like want to leave or give up on it. It was, but it was just a feeling that I had to like settle into my self and my loneeness and my comfortable just being comfortable with being by myself and.
Speaker 3: Being just with me, and such a good lesson.
Speaker 1: But it's really interesting to confront because when you when you grow up, you've got your siblings, and if you don't have your siblings, you have your cousins, or you have your parents are always there. You have your network of friends that you go to school and see every day, and then you're just like I was just picked right up out of that whole situation and then just pluck plunked myself down into an apartment with zero nothing, and I went, whooh, you know, and I didn't have a boyfriend. I didn't have It wasn't like I was like having like phone conversations with a long distance board. I really was very very alone. But it helped me focus on the goals, which were, you know, getting out there and succeeding and whatnot. So it wasn't totally bad, but wow, that was an interesting time.
Speaker 2: So when in that process after moving to LA did you read for twenty four.
Speaker 1: Six months into that, Wow, six months into that, I ended up.
Speaker 3: I had it.
Speaker 1: They don't do these things anymore, but or at least I don't think they do unless they're bringing them back and maybe you can tell me. But I had a network deal, like an exclusive network deal with Fox when I got there, so I was only allowed to audition for Fox shows pilots, Okay, that didn't cross over into the feature side of things, but it was exclusive for television, so my auditioning was Back then, there was a ton of stuff for men of every network, but you know, Fox definitely had a lot of stuff going on. So it wasn't like I was lacking in anything as far as like auditions go, but I was only auditioning for them, and I got close to a couple of things, and then twenty four was but I was getting dangerously close to like the end of my stay, okay, and I remember being like, I don't know if this is going to work out, I'm gonna have to go back to Canada, I'm gonna have to go to college or you know. I just I wasn't sure what was going to happen, and I was really nervous about it. All, and I ended up getting the twenty four pilot script, and it was my last audition before I was the deal was going to be up and I was going to be heading back, so there was a lot on it. But I also thought, you know, I took a crack at it, and maybe if I can go back and work in Canada and save up some more money, I'll have enough to keep going and come back. But then I went in and auditioned and I didn't hear anything for like a week, and then I got a call saying, oh, they want to read you again, and then they want to read you again, and then so it was like three four times I went in and then and then I had a screen test with Kiefer and it was like me and another girl, and I just thought, okay, let's see what happens. And I just gave it my all. And I thought, you know, I'm not gonna worry about it. I'm gonna put stress on myself. I'm just gonna go. Really, I'm gonna be really prepared ready to go. And I went in and then I was driving driving home and I thought to myself, well, I guess this is it. And then as soon as I got into the apartment, I had a voicemail and it was my agent going turn back around. They want to do a wardrobe fitting. You're filming on Monday.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh my god. So I called my parents and I was like, I guess I'm not coming home on Wednesday. Wow.
Speaker 2: Literally the lat like days away from you going home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I didn't. I mean from the time the audition's process started with twenty four but by the time I ended up getting it, I was literally three days away from that was a Friday. They called me and they were like, you got it. It's good, You're good, and I'm You're gonna film on Monday, and I was supposed to my flight home to cam it was on the Wednesday, So I was cuttings. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I don't think they do that anymore, those exclusive audition deals.
Speaker 1: I don't think so, because I think the landscape is so different now and we have so many streamings. Yeah, it's so And even like the auditioning process, I don't I can't even I went into I don't know if you've been in one recently, but I went into one audition like physically went in And now because we now we put ourselves on like if something comes up and they need a tape, you do it yourself. Now because of after COVID, everything has changed. And but I did get a call for a show recently, like I think five months ago or something, and they were like, oh, no, they're they're seeing people in person. And I went oh, and I was like, oh, that's fine, and so I prep it and I do everything, and then I got in there and there was like all the producers and then the camera. It had been so long, and I just I mean, I've been doing you You've been doing this. I've been doing this for decades, two decades, and I'm like, all of a sudden, I reverted back to like it's eleven years old. And I was like and I couldn't even speak, and I was like and I said, to know, I'm so sorry, I have to start again. I'm like, yeah, I'm like, my hands are shaked. I'm like, why am I shaking? This is very weird.
Speaker 2: I have not been in an audition room in a very long time. But I did have my first like in person meeting, just you know, a non zoom meeting, and it was it was the same thing. I was like, you can see the lower half of my body. I'm not used to that. I like, I don't know what to do with my hands, And when there is a silence, I felt like I had to immediately fill it.
Speaker 3: It was so it was so weird. I was like, I don't know how to have meetings in person anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it was so funny because I had this like outer body experience, and that's sort of what like stumped me a little bit because as soon as we started getting into the scene, I like left my body and I started seeing myself, like you said, trying to fill the space. And I was like rushing through this dialogue and I was like, this is not even how I act. Like I don't even understand like what this performance is that I'm trying to pull off. But I was like I had to halt it. I was like, oh no, no, I was just like this is so weird.
Speaker 3: Sorry, let me start again. I'm going to take a breath.
Speaker 1: But I think it's just like another byproduct of that COVID experience in that we've now all had to sort of find ways to do what we do away from human beings and then to get myself into a room which used to be so normal to me feels so foreign because we're just so not used to the process with other human beings around, and that human connection it changed the energy within me in such a way that I was like taken aback and I thought, oh, I got to work on that, because that's not me and nor was it ever my experience before that. So I just got so used to sort of, you know, curating my own stuff, editing my own tapes, you know, doing all those things. So it was really an eye opener. But it's funny, I don't you know. We just did shot this show in Vancouver, and I will say that didn't feel any different, and filming didn't feel different, and if anything, that's like my happy place. Yeah, but you know, those audition spaces are very awkward because it's just a weird room, an office. It's it's they're not they're not like the real deal.
Speaker 3: YEP, I totally know exactly what you mean.
Speaker 2: It feels very and also if you are very performative, you have you are literally there to perform, and yet you also are supposed to be based in reality and grounded, and so there's a there's like a real you where you talk for a little bit first and then you have to.
Speaker 3: Do the performative you.
Speaker 1: For you know, it was so funny. We didn't even talk. It was like okay, go and I was like, oh, oh, we don't even get to like no, like, how's the weather today?
Speaker 3: Nothing?
Speaker 1: No? Nothing? No?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I know that when I watched TV, because you know, we grew up in the business, I'm always wondering what was the shoot like, And when watching twenty four I remember constantly thinking, this seems very challenging. I am guessing there were a lot of middle of the night shoots, action scenes with stunts, intense continuity.
Speaker 3: There was a lot of running, too much running. If you ask me what was shooting that show.
Speaker 1: Like very intense. You nailed all the major points of that experience. I would say continuity for sure. But we had great continuity people, so that helped. I don't know if you've ever been like on a quick film where you're like also having to focus on continuity. It's really difficult.
Speaker 3: It is very difficult.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, it's not great, but no, on that show, they it was it was like a well oiled machine. I will say so, I really only had to like dial in and focus on what I needed to do, but it was my stuff was very intense and trying to not make that character Kim Bauer feel like, you know, a burden in a way, you know, and and bring as much realism to the ridiculous scenarios that she was involved in. And I, you know, it's so funny. I have a couple of young actresses that I know now that are in that stage of their career where, you know, you hit an age where you're too young to do any of the younger stuff, but you're not old enough to play you know, the wife, the you know or the love interests, and you end up slotting yourself into the daughter role. Like at some point, if you're starting off as a child actor, you're gonna you're gonna end up being the daughter role. Yep, maybe even more than once. And the daughter role is really challenging because the daughter role is a role that I can't really die because it's it's too sacred. But at the same time, they have to write you in and find ways to keep your relevant. And you see that with a lot of different shows. Although Landman is doing a great job with you know, Ali latter's playing the amazing mom and her daughter, and you know, the their writing is becoming really interesting. But for a long time, I think that daughter role always felt like the Kim Bauer. I was like, I was like the epitome of the daughter role, right right, It's a stereotypical daughter role. But yeah, it was. It was intense. It was a lot of fun though. But we did a lot of night shoots. We I remember, I think for like, I don't know what it was five months out of the year. I was sleeping during the day, work being during the night. Yeah, it was a lot.
Speaker 3: Did you like being an action star?
Speaker 1: I did? Actually, I loved it. Yeah. I feel like House of Wax. I got to do a bunch of action too towards the end of the film, which is I got to pull my experience from twenty four. Yeah. Action is really is great. I love it.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about this era we grew up into of the men's magazine. Oh yeah, every I mean the teen idol publication transformed into basically bikini photoshoots with matchups between us about who's hotter, which is super cool, brutal. Did that kind of attention make you uncomfortable at the time or did you just embrace it?
Speaker 1: Oh? I think I was pretty uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I never really understood it, and I also knew that it was a beast of a thing that was that was undeniable and unavoidable, correct, right, Like, I don't think there was a time or space where you felt like you could go to your publicism and be like, absolutely not. I mean no, the viewership, the amount of people that tuned into that kind of stuff, and the volume in which the magazines were selling was beyond so it was undeniable and you just felt like anytime, or at least I did. I felt like anytime we were going to promote something, whether it was twenty four Old School or the Girl next Door especially, it was like get her on the cover of yeh Men's magazine.
Speaker 2: Yep, it was feel one of the highest I mean, it was one of the most sought after promotional tools. And that's how it was just sold to us that it was promo. It was promo for your projects.
Speaker 1: I think I resented it a little bit because I felt like it pulled me away from the ability to They just slotted me into that and made me feel like that's where I belonged, and I was like, well, I have so much more to offer than just my physical attributes, obviously, and I thought, you know, fashion magazines are not going to want to touch that or me in any way. And you know, that was the one issue I had with it, because once you got into that, it was like that was your esthetic. And really, like when I would film or when I would shoot those magazines, I always felt like the least version of myself phone right right, because I was just like, Okay, let me look at the racket clothing and what am I? What am I? How far can I go without feeling like I wasn't? And if you look back, I mean I feel like the only things I ever did for those magazines was like bathing suits, because I thought, well, I I can you know, I frolic and bathing suits all the time. So I wasn't too worried. So I really tried to stay as far away from like lingerie as I could. So I was trying to like find my happy medium and my balance in that. Yea. But yeah, and those lists would come out and I actually didn't even care for those, to be honest, I know, I I just thought they were another byproduct of this like crazy thing that was that timeframe. And I'm just I said to the actress that I just worked with Sadie Soverall, who's so great on every year after that. I'm just so glad she's coming up in a time where because she's so beautiful and she'll get a chance, she's gonna do all these like beautiful fashion magazines and she'll do all these great things. But I'm like, I'm just so glad you're growing up in the industry at a time when you don't like, you don't have to do those sorts of things, or you don't feel like those are the biggest things that are available to you to promote what you're involved in.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 2: They definitely also, like you're talking about with you know, looking at the rack of clothes, they shaped a certain type of cool girl aesthetic that didn't actually take into consideration women at all. It was just whatever they decided men thought was cool. And so, yeah, you're right that now so much of what is available to women out there with fashion magazines and is really about your own taste and your own style and showing who you are as a person.
Speaker 1: So the nice thing is too, is that I feel like magazines in general are kind of shifting away because of social media. And the great thing about social media. There's a lot of bad stuff about social media, but I will say the great thing is that we're in control of what we want to curate now, yep, exactly, So like I can decide what I want to show people that have interest in me, what I want to show them, you know, And so it takes the control back a little bit and the power, and it feels really great to not feel like you have to expose yourself in any way and you can decide what you want to do, which is so great.
Speaker 3: So great.
Speaker 2: Well, that leads us to The Girl next Door, which was a big breakout role for you, and if nothing else, will forever keep you alive through the power of gifts. You You're beautiful, you will live forever in gift form. This movie is so funny, it's very sweet, and you are wonderful in it. But I also imagine that this wasn't a very easy role for you.
Speaker 1: No. Again, I was twenty, and I certainly it's funny. I was telling another friend of mine the other day about it, because again, a lot of these memes, gifts, whatever like are all over and which I it's so amazing. I'm so happy that people still feel connected to the film and enjoy it, because I certainly do. But I was I was saying to her that I think I, even though the role wouldn't be right for me now, I would have had more confidence doing that role at forty three yea than I did at twenty, which seems weird probably to people, But I think at twenty it felt like such a departure from my confidence and womanhood that I really felt like I was doing a great acting job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, oscar Worthy because yeah.
Speaker 1: I was like, this is such a departure. But I think people were like, oh, of course, that's how yeah, you should look and feel. And I remember it was like, yeah, a lot of hair and makeup, a lot of you know, smoke and mirrors. I mean, luckily I was twenty, so it was a good time to be doing that part. But I don't know if I could be in those outfits again, but I do I will say that, Yeah, I think people are surprised to hear from me that I would have probably felt more comfortable doing a role like that now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, listen, I couldn't agree with you more. There is something about when you're a teenager and then you become a young woman and you've been in the entertainment industry and all of a sudden people look at you and they go, now you are a powerful sexual being and you're like, I'm actual just still a teenager. Yes, I'm barely out of my teens. You were twenty and you don't feel that way, but everyone's looking at you like that's who you are, that's how we perceive you. And so yeah, requires requires quite a bit of acting.
Speaker 1: And I also do, like I always I laugh because of Meil Hersch and I we joke about it. But like there's like a love scene at the end of the film in the in the limousine after prom and my because it was in the back of a limousine, my side of it. Filming was literally with like an apple box, which for people at home that don't know, it's like just a square little box and that with no a meal, with no like interaction with him at all, just a camera and this box and then flip side for a meal as well. I mean he was on the other side of it. And then just like kind of looking up into camera. I mean, so it's funny, like people don't realize that the movies take a certain you know, you have to really put yourself out there and go for it, and it's not always the most comfortable situation, and it's certainly not as it always seems when you're when you're watching the film, but it all comes together really beautifully. And I really cared about that character a lot because I thought, you know, she had a lot of heart and soul and she was vulnerable, and I didn't look at it as a movie about a porn star who was just sort of silly and frivolous, you know. I really felt like she was searching for her soul and her her purpose and falling in love with this young man was a part of her journey. And I just thought it was a beautiful film. And yeah, but it was. It was. It was. It was a definitely a difficult film to do, but it was. I really do love it so much.
Speaker 2: I want to touch on House of Wax because I think it is very fun.
Speaker 3: First of all, did you like the movie?
Speaker 1: I did like the movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, good.
Speaker 1: I was happy with the movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: Secondly, and related, will you join my fan club for it?
Speaker 1: Well, I will help you run it. I it okay, great, Okay, So I'm glad you loved it, okay, because yeah I did. I really you know, that was one of like those moments where it was like a pinch me moment on set because Joel Silver, who was like this huge producer and he was running Dark Castle at the time, that was doing like all these amazing big horror films, and I just remember being on set and like when you when you know, when you're on a movie and you're like, oh, this budget is yig, Like this is not some like middle ground, small independent film. This is like this is the big boys are out yep. And I remember being like, oh, I've bade it, like I'm on my I'm leading a really big feature and it was just incredible and surreal, and I remember thinking like, this is this is what I dreamed about, This is what I This was the dream, This was the goal that I wanted to be an actress on, like a real film, you know, a Hollywood movie that I knew was people were going to see, and and it just felt great and it was a lot of fun, and like Jared Patalechi and Chad, Michael Murray and Stilson. It was really it was a beautiful, beautiful time and we had so much fun. We were in Australia. We had a great time together.
Speaker 3: And another very physical sect.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, yes, very and a lot of stunts and fire and of course.
Speaker 3: Wax, of course, yes.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it was a really it was really intense. But I have to say I had a lot of fun. I had the energy for it, and I was just yeah, I wanted to like kick ass, and yeah it was good.
Speaker 2: Well after a four year hiatus, yeah, you are back on screen for Prime videos every year after. Did you feel at all rusty coming back or did it just feel like the most natural thing ever?
Speaker 1: It was it was like a breath of fresh air, like it felt so good. It did because I was I was emotionally ready for it, and I didn't have this burden of like I'm leaving my kids behind. And that's why I had to take the time because after I had after we had our first I was pregnant throughout that on the ranch with Ashton Kutcher and I, So I was pregnant, really pregnant for that, and then had her while we were like filming and had to go back and was like breastfeeding through film. Like it was really hard to like juggle both of those worlds for me. And then so when we had I was on another film with Josh Jammel in Atlanta called Bandit, and I found out I was pregnant on like while we were there, and I thought, Okay, once this movie is over, there's no way because I had such bad morning sickness while we were filming that movie and I just thought, no, no, no, no, I'm not doing this again, like I can't, Like I just can't. And then so what I thought was only going to be about a year or two ended up turning into four. You know how the years just sort of fly by. But then yeah, and then when yeah, every year after it came around and the project I started, you know, wrapping my head around coming back to filming and being a part of something again. And the show came about. I was like I read the script and I thought, wow, well, how perfect you know, sort of art imitating life in that the Szoo character is such a maternal force for this show, and I thought, wow, this is like the perfect back introduction into coming back to work, and I just yeah, I got to set, and that all all felt very very natural, funny enough. That felt really good And I didn't feel at a place or nothing felt awkward. It just felt like it goes exactly where I was supposed to be.
Speaker 3: Oh, I love that.
Speaker 2: That's a great feeling because you know, similarly to what we talked about going back into an auditioning room.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that didn't feel good at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that didn't feel good. So knowing like showing up on set and being.
Speaker 3: Like, ahh, this is right. I'm alostay.
Speaker 1: I never as much as I would I would always have to like really prepare for auditions. I will say I never was like the greatest at it to begin with. So I think auditioning is always awkward, like taking that much time off. I was like, oh, not so great for me. But yeah, no, the set felt like, you know, it's like my home. Yeah, it always felt that's always felt like home. I've never felt uncomfortable on set.
Speaker 2: Good every year after began as a beloved romance novel, especially within the book talk culture, were you will of the rabid fandom and did it scare you a little bit when you were trying to figure sue out. I mean, you are obviously competing against what they've had in their heads for all this time.
Speaker 1: And I think I always will be competing with what people have in their heads because as an avid reader myself, I feel the same way. I have a vision. But it's funny. I don't know for people that read if they feel this way. And maybe I'm alone on it, but when I read, I have an idea, but it's kind of fuzzy mine too.
Speaker 3: I couldn't agree with you more. Yeah, it's very It's very like with a filter, a blurry filter.
Speaker 1: It's a blurry filter. I mean it's clear, but it's not. Yeah, So I always like, let myself have a little grace and that, like, I wouldn't be disappointed if so and so played that character. But I will say I do have I think I have a sort of an aesthetic for it, but a blurred vision of it. But I I will say, when I got the script, I then found out that it was based on a novel by Carl Fortune, and she's Canadian, and so even more so I was really because being Canadian, I was like, oh my gosh, I now that I know that i'm doing the show, I'm going to read the book. So I got the book and I was hooked, and I thought it was so well written. I ended up reading the next book based on the other son's character, Charlie's character, and then I read all her other books. I went into like this crazy fandom thing myself with Carly's novels. Yeah, and then of course, because of my algorithm, I ended up figuring out what book talk was, and so I've got I do I do see and get a lot of recommendations based on obviously liking all.
Speaker 3: That other stuff exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But yeah, as far as like, sorry, your question was the pressure, you know, I will say that I did put a lot of pressure on myself because I had a vision for her, Like I said, a little blurry vision, but I did have a vision for her. But my biggest thing was if if I could take away anything from the novel, and what Sue meant to me was that like she just had this like joy and love and presence about her and everyone wanted to be around her. Yeah, So I was just like, as long as I can convey that and people feel like they love Sue, then I feel like I've done a good job, so I hope. I hope they feel that and that passion I have for her from reading it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Good, Well, I can't wait to see it. I haven't seen it yet, but I can't.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, the perfect summer show You're gonna love.
Speaker 3: I cannot wait, and I want to read all the Should I read the books first? Though?
Speaker 2: Because I do love to read, So I'm wondering, like, should I watch and then read?
Speaker 1: I will discourage you from reading first, but I will say I would maybe watch it because then the book you'll kind of know where the story goes, and there might be some spoilers, got it? So maybe I just watch and then. But what I will say is, why don't you watch this season and then read the next book which takes Pasey. Yeah?
Speaker 2: Perfect, Great, I'll start. I'll start first with watching, then I'll read the.
Speaker 1: Next time and then read Meet Me at the Leak.
Speaker 3: Yes, Okay, good plan.
Speaker 2: I've got so much more to talk to Alicia about, including her time on one of my favorite shows to ever air on TV, Happy Endings, and one of our listener voice memos, So make sure to catch a bonus episode this Friday exclusively on the dedicated teen Beat feed. Just search for it wherever you get your podcasts so you never miss another episode. And I need your voice memos. Send in a one minute clip telling us all about something embarrassing from your childhood and we'll talk about it. Email it today to Teenbeatpod at gmail dot com. Teenbeat is an iHeart podcast produced and hosted by Danielle Fischel. Executive producers Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production Danielle Romo, producer and editor Tara Suboch. The theme song is by mar Coppus. Yes that Mark Coppus. Follow us on Instagram at Teenbeatpod