Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's a Dan Patrick Show Fox Sports Radio. LaVar Arrington, Brady Quinn, Jonas Knox with you here, two pros and a cup of Joe filling in for DP and the guys. You can normally hear us weekday mornings six to nine am Eastern Time, three to six am Pacific time. Come on, but weird, I'm awake. Okay, we got it open today. Yeah, we dis improvement. Yes, this is yes, We're doing it all live here from the tire rack dot com studios. Tire rack dot com the official dog expert and retailer of the Dan Patrick Show. Go to ti rack dot com slash Dan tried the Tire Decision Guide and see the full line of Yokohama Tires Special offers free roadhazard protect type of tire. Yokohama Tires Special offers free roadhazard protection and mobile tire installation. Ti rack dot Com the way tire buying should be. Hell yeah, on a Friday, I'm talking about it. Got my mouth surgery yesterday. It was emergency surgery. Wait, what my tooth is the tooth with the iron mask? You know, like like the movie they put iron in there. They said, dude, like, what the frick? Like, we didn't make it to the crown.
Speaker 3: You destroyed your dentist as surfer. No, no, no, I was like, bro, is like, Bro, you jacked your tooth totally up while we were waiting for your permanent crown. Now we got to order you a whole, an entirely different crown for your tooth. You know that isn't how he talks though he's super cool dude, but he had to really do some work because I fractured my tooth.
Speaker 4: This is gonna come off as sound like a d bag, but I'm gonna go ahead and do it.
Speaker 3: I'm very ignorant when it comes.
Speaker 4: To teeth, despite the fact that my father in law is orthodonists. But I never asked questions about it, mostly because I really don't care. But but like, what so the crowns for a while, if you have a cavity or.
Speaker 3: Something, I had to get a root canal. Yeah, so they had, So you get a root canal. When again, a cavity, you have to yeah something. No, they don't remove it. They just like drill to the the nerve and then like yeah to the root. Yeah. And then they like killed the nerve and then they let it heal, and then they put a crown on it, and it's like nothing ever happened, you know. But I had a temporary crown on because I'm getting a gold and I hear maybe that's the moral of the story. I was, I'm getting a matching goal. A goal, yeah, but it's in the back. It's in the back.
Speaker 4: Why would okay, hold on, this is great, We're gonna break the style. Why would you want to get a gold tooth and that no one's going to see in the back?
Speaker 2: Gods, I can, right, but no one's ever going to see it.
Speaker 3: So what do you like? I smile pretty big, que and I gotta I already have one gold. Have you ever saw a gold tooth in my in my mouth? Like when I smile, smile enough around, shut up? Some people might see it, you know, almost cursed on looking deep back in there. That's correct, that's correct. So if you see it, if you see it, you know, it's because she was really in my mouth. But I'm gonna get another one on the opposite side of matching one. And I was waiting on it. And while I was waiting on it, I guess, I was. I was sitting around. I was. I know, I'm not supposed to chew nuts, but I wouldn't as I was chewing on nut clusters and then I fractured my tue.
Speaker 2: Okay, but which one can't be a cashew? Cashews too?
Speaker 3: It was it was a cluster, so it was almonds, it was cashws, it was sunflower seeds, and it's like put together and like dar kind of like that. But they're like they're keto. They're Keto though, so they're pretty good. But yes, yes, And I was just sitting there and I was chewing and I bit and I felt it boom, like I fractured it too. I didn't even know you could fracture too. I just thought you break it, which a fracture is a break, I guess, But I mean, I don't know. I'd never heard that terminology use. And it scared me, you know. I was sitting there and they were like, man, they were going through the language of it and taking the X rays and then they were like, yeah, da da, there's such and such a bicuspics and that one is fractured. I was like, fractured. Oh my gosh, it's ridiculous. Yeah.
Speaker 2: My dadd has told me said, listen, nuts will get you every time. He said, I just relax. He said that a trick is you can take almonds and you soak them in water to make them some if you want to, uh, if you still want to get your your almend fixed. All right, this is the part of conversation where I have the jump and well, let's get the sports.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 4: Come on, man, we were good until we started get into the nuts conversations.
Speaker 3: Too much nuts is not good for you. All right.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, some would say that the Jets organization is nuts. Some would say they've been nuts for quite some time.
Speaker 3: Sometimes like a nut.
Speaker 2: And apparently it was a nutty situation and departure for Aaron Rodgers, who spoke yesterday on the Pat McAfee show starring AJ Hawk and Rogers decided to air out the New York Jets and describe what the final meeting was with Aaron Glenn with Aaron Moogie. This is entire situation debacle, if you will. Here was Rogers breaking it all down.
Speaker 5: I figured they went. I flew across country on my own dime, but there was going to be a conversation, and twenty seconds in he goes, I mean literally, I'm talking to the GM about something and he leans to the to a sheet and goes, should you want to play football? And I was like, yeah, I'm interested, and he said we're going a different direction in quarterback and I was kind of shocked. Now, not shocked because I didn't think that was a possibility. Listen, of course they want to move on. That's totally fine, but shocked because I just flew across the country. You could have told me this on the phone. So I said huh, and he goes, we just want to know how you want it released the messaging and I said why And then he said, I don't want to be up in front of the room saying something and have guys looking back.
Speaker 3: At you interesting.
Speaker 5: And I said, what does that even mean? Are you assuming that I would be in the back of the room during the team meeting undermining what you're saying. I said, you don't know me, and he said you don't know me, and then I said exactly, which is why I flew across the country to have a face to face meeting with you to talk about my experience with the Jets. What I thought was going to be a couple hour meeting turned into like a fifteen minute meeting, and I walked out of there.
Speaker 2: So there's your your final moments with the New York Jets.
Speaker 3: And was that a beef? You don't know me, homie. Look, man, you don't know.
Speaker 4: This has to look terrible for the Jets, right, Oh gosh, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 3: I mean, because here's the reality of it.
Speaker 4: If if that's how you're willing to deal with the guy wh's gonna be a first Battle Hall of Famer, how do you feel like they're gonna deal with guys who are on the back end of the roster? I mean as a player, and I'm not saying that like all players like Aaron Rodgers or all players even relate to Aaron Rodgers. He seems to have a good rapport with his teammates. But you sit there and go, this is how this, this is how the team's handling this guy like he Now, mind you, he probably flew private like his on his own dime.
Speaker 3: It's like that.
Speaker 4: It's not like the team's flying him there on his jet to get there, which is a pretty petty if you're coming from California to New York and back. Like I would estimate, I don't know. Someone who's in the industry would would probably correct me, tell me I'm wrong. Minimum eighty thousand dollars on hudred thousand just for that trip.
Speaker 3: There and back.
Speaker 4: Minimum, that's probably what he's spent doing it. And to not at least want to hear from a guy who's won or Super Bowl won what four MVPs seems to have a different perspective on the league, but could give some insight to Aaron Glenn who's stepping into his first opportunity as a head coach and doesn't know this organization, regardless of what anyone wants to say.
Speaker 3: Doesn't note as well as Aaron Rodgers. He's been there the last two years.
Speaker 4: He's got a much better feel for the pulse of Woody Johnson how things have operated the past.
Speaker 3: Couple of years than Aaron Glenn does.
Speaker 4: And he didn't want to take the time just to pick his brand and talk to him, even if he didn't want to see him as his quarterback.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: It's kind of goes back to like the Bill Belichick not getting more interviews, like teams didn't even want to take the opportunity when you had a legitimate chance to take the opportunity to pick one of the greatest football minds mind in an interview, even if you don't want to hire him, just bring him into at least interview him and see what we can get from him, right knowledge, he'll be willing to give up and maybe pour into you, your organization, your leaders, whoever. And so for Aaron Glenn, you didn't even want to do that. You're just gonna jump right to the point. And I guess I understand to a degree he doesn't want to waste his time. But then to Aaron Rodgers' point, just give them a phone call, Like if it's over like that, just give him a phone call. This makes it look like the Jets, and LaVar has said it all along, our dysfunction, but also now it looks even more like a clown show, and it feels like you've got a head coach who, Yeah, maybe he has an idea of what he's trying to build, but it almost makes it look even worse to how this year is gonna go with Justin Fields as their quarterback.
Speaker 3: If things don't go well, it's.
Speaker 4: A disaster because you had a guy you could have brought back who's a first ballot Hall of Famer, And so if he goes somewhere else and plays well and not team's in the hunt, or if that and even then like forget that, that might be even separate from if the Jets just fall apart become a dumpster fire.
Speaker 3: He could be a one and done.
Speaker 4: Like these are some of the things that start to come out in the media where it puts more and more pressure and makes everyone question, is this guy maybe there's a reason why it took him so long to become a head coach. He's been a great decordinator, he's had a great reputation, but then you watch how he handles this instance, this situation, I don't know, man, dysfunction, clown show, whatever you want to call it.
Speaker 3: That's the right back of the Jets are again. I have a theory, and the theory is he is acting off of off of the feelings of ownership. And I've seen this happen before. I've been I've been a party to Joe Gibbs falling victim to doing the same exact thing. I was the leader of a team, I was the face of a of a team of a franchise of the town and due to a vendetta that was apparently I wasn't really even aware of it, but due to a vendetta of the owner and how he turned his feelings on how he felt about me, he tasked someone else, because he's a coward. He tasked someone else to be his henchman, and Joe Gibbs went for it. He took the cheese, and his coward ass did the same thing like head behind, you know, things he shot in the head behind, and the conversations that he and I were having, which was interesting because if media was where it was at right now, I'd have probably did the same thing that Aaron Rodgers did and had the conversation about it, and we probably be having the same conversation about how you have a dysfunctional organization. I tend to believe that Aaron Glenn and handling Aaron Rodgers was totally doing with the influence of what he had already had got from and communicated with Woody Johnson in terms of how they made him feel, in terms of what they think took place with Aaron Rodgers in New York, and Aaron Glenn was executing what his feelings were towards the situation with Aaron Rodgers, and did that under the influences and the pretenses of what was fed to him once he came to the New York Jets as their head coach. So in a way, while we'll say, okay, maybe, as a head coach, you don't allow for an owner or corporate to dictate how you handle a situation. Keep your emotions out of it. You are the head coach of this team. You have to manage the relationships with these players differently. But that could be also tongue in cheek, because we all know this is the man that hires you. This could be the man that fires you, whether it's a year, whether it's two years, whatever it may be. And he's already showing signs of trying to pacify dysfunction. That's my theory. I don't think that Aaron Glenn would have wanted to take the stance he took with Aaron Rodgers. In fact, knowing Aaron Glenn, I would assume he would want the best players on his team. I don't think he had a choice. I don't think he had a choice in the matter of keeping Aaron Rodgers on that roster based upon the feelings that were going towards Aaron Rodgers and Aaron Glenn was tasked to make that one of the first things that he handled once taking the job.
Speaker 2: So then Woody Johnson is still meddling in decisions, got it?
Speaker 3: I think the influence. I think the only way you take because let's be clear, as former players, whether you're a coach now, whether we just you know, whatever you're doing in your life. When we see one another, we greet each other a certain type of way. You're not going to like, come out, You're not going to come out a guy, hold on, And what type of way is that? It's different than anybody else? Right you say, hey, I come in. I kind of couple you. We greet each other very differently than everybody else. But everybody else to us, aren't us. I mean that's I if that, if I'm letting the fan base and people in on a secret, I'm sorry to do that. It's not that we think any less of you. It's just that we don't think of you the same way we think of one another. That's all. That's what I was gonna say. Sorry you if you.
Speaker 4: Could give me the difference between you and Jonas kind of seeing each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, somewhere on the street or whatever. Then and you and I see one another, all right. If I saw Gentinus, I'd be like, somebody, what's going on? Brah? If I saw you, I'd be like you, what's up? Damn? How your body feel? Kids? Is good? Everything? Good? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Cool?
Speaker 3: All right? Man, I was good. I was gonna you know, and you always say it's good to see you, like three four times when you see somebody that played, you'd be like, man, it's good to see you, bro, man, so good to see you.
Speaker 2: I was gonna point out like a racial component, but you really buckled my knees when you went to.
Speaker 3: Brady on that. Yeah, there's no real quick real quest. Is great Jonas, that it exceeds race. Did you see me on the street? Why do we greet each other? Say again, how would that would me on the street? Hey hey Brady, little top gun, Hey hey little up top Jonas, what's up?
Speaker 2: Hoss?
Speaker 3: That's football? That's football talk though you can't use hosts. Yeah, but that's you know, that's like maybe high school. Yeah, we're really trying hard to be a meathead. Yeah you're Yeah, that is sometimes cats like you try to overcompensate because I want to be greeted that way.
Speaker 2: But it's the same thing if I see LeVar. If I see LeVar, I'd be like, so.
Speaker 6: That, you know, what's every time I see Jonas and every time we walk together from like the set during Radio rodor in Super Bowl, I always am like, Man, if I had an oil can, I would try to like just inject some oil into Jonas's joints just to make him look a little smoother.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: It's just please, it's very rigid. It's a very rigid, stiff. That's vampire joints. That's not true.
Speaker 4: There's zero there's like zero skip, zero limbs.
Speaker 3: Zero anything. Because you get to where we go. Yeah, I'm floating. All I've got in my body is blood and it ain't mine.
Speaker 2: You don't know the vampire life. You know what we go through.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Here's here's what's so funny about the Rogers discussion. So I'm seeing yesterday people are you know, laying in like, oh God, of course it's everybody else's fault. And he's this and that and he's pointing fingers and it's like, I just want to say, we're not talking about like a high functioning, well respected history of great decisions and great moves and great we're talking about the Jets. Yes, it's plausible that the meeting happened exactly how it happened. It's not like Rogers has been known to just lie. Okay, people could put, oh, well, you know the COVID stuff and all. No, you just he found a loophole in his messaging and that's why people are still bitter about it. But it's not like we're talking about oh well, this is just this is an organization that is pristine and all they know is success him saying it about them. So you're the one guy who's got a problem with the way that they handle things. There, No, we've seen this for decades. It's the same story for decades. Insert quarterback. It's a disaster, drafted, signed head coach. So like, when I hear the pushback on things he's said, look, is he a little bit arrogant?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 2: Is he a little bit aloof at times? Does he want to control the messaging? Does he like the attention but claim that he does? Probably, But it still doesn't admonish the Jets from being palpable in this whole situation whatever I'm trying to say, palpable in this whole situation, that they're a disaster and they've been a disaster for years. And we've brought this point up before on our show when the first couple of moves and couple of signs are hey, we don't want any part of this. We're Bill Belichick and Bill Parcells saying no, we're good here. And that was before we had any sort of intel or information on what Woody Johnson's era with the Jets was going to be. That should have been the indicator. Okay, maybe there's something wrong here. So the pushback on Roger I don't get because it's the Jets. They've done this for decades and.
Speaker 7: They didn't even play that bad. It's to me, he's better than Justin Fields last year. He's better than Justin Fields. Can I point out for one instance.
Speaker 4: Don't point out though, where I think a lot of people have dug their feet in and it's over as far as how they feel.
Speaker 3: It's the whole vaccination thing.
Speaker 4: Yes, that was such a polarizing issue that there's a lot of people who maybe they're football.
Speaker 3: Fans, maybe they're not.
Speaker 4: But whenever you talk about politics, religion, things like that, and obviously the whole vaccination deal it was polit a size and that's why it became so polarizing. But the way he messaged the immunized comment and how people took that and how this people drew a line in the sand back then, and they've never been willing to concede on any of that. I mean, this is like outside of a sports conversation, Like the people who believed in the people who didn't.
Speaker 3: They drew a line and they're not ever willing to cross that.
Speaker 4: Like no one's even like even right now, regardless of whatever report comes out, whatever side you were on, they're sticking to that. They're like, there's no way you're going to convince them otherwise. And unfortunately, like he put himself rightfully, so he put himself in the middle of that with how he handled that, and I think that actually might be the most polarizing thing that has still followed him to this day, outside of even how he's handled things with being so open and honest about, you know, things in Green Bay and how the drafting of Jordan Love went, or even his time with Brett Favre and everything else up there, and now with the New York Jets and everything else in his personal life that's become public, which with the documentary. So to me, as much as he is very unique as an athlete or as a quarterback in the NFL, there's also an element of like that singular thing, to me created the biggest divide for the people who are either for Aaron Rodgers or like Aaron Rodgers or against them. And it's kind of crazy when you think about it, and people can say that's not true, but you're lying, Like I see it. To this day, there's people who still have like ruined friendships on as close with their family. There's all sorts of issues from that singular moment in time with the way people kind of drew a line in the sand, and they're not ever willing to cross it and they're not ever willing to go back on whatever happened back then.
Speaker 3: He never breaks character either though. That's I think that that really irritates a lot of people. And if I were a betting man, I would say the way Aaron Rodgers conducts himself is an irritant to people. Like a Woody Johnson, he does not break character. Oh yeah, and he answers questions, especially almost as if it's like a riddle, you know what I mean, Like he doesn't break character. He stays in that same well you know. And and all I wanted to say was yep, I can't you could have done at this by the phone. Well you don't know me. Well you're right. And and that's why I can't like the witty comments that the comebacks. It's not it doesn't help. It doesn't help, Like show me some emotion, like I'll beat your assed like what oh whoa Aaron Rodgers said what you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like it is it is funny how we they don't break character. It is funny how we pick and choose you know who. We're still gonna punish for things that were done and said five years ago during COVID.
Speaker 3: A long time ago. Yeah. Well, Woody Johnson ain't thinking about the immunization. He's thinking about how Aaron rod tried to ruin him. He tried to ruin me. No, he's got there. You better get him. Someone say he's got a vested interest, and somebody getting I can't do it myself, you guys handling.
Speaker 1: I handled this, Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio apps. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 8: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course, the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 8: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right. So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, shop it up. As they say, i'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich Live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social.
Speaker 3: Media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Do we have an up on the fan that was hit by a golf ball by Billy Horschel yesterday at that tournament whatever the tournament was, because thatth looked grotesque? Did you see that, Brady? The guy shin who took a golf ball while in the gallery and horn shot Horse.
Speaker 4: I'm always a big fan though, I'm always a big fan of those who are sticking it out, able to kind of tough it out through it and basically providing a backboard for professional golfers just in case they sprayed a little bit outside of the fairway. There's always a nice fan in there to help bounce it right back in or at least stop.
Speaker 3: It right there in the rough. Yeah.
Speaker 2: He So this guy got a golf ball straight in the shin and horseall went over. I think he outlined it and then autographed his leg afterwards, and it is revolting. So hopefully hopefully that that gentleman is okay and can continue on and join the tournament, you know, at the Gallery there whatever whatever tournament that was not named the Masters. Now that being said, I want to let you know we are brought to you by Maco. Most cars on the road could use a little TLC. At Maco, we bring your car back to life with affordable paint jobs and light collision repairs. Get a free estimate today, Oh, better get Maco. The Cleveland Browns are holding the number two pick in the draft. The betting odds have indicated that Travis Hunter will be the pick at number two, depending on if the Browns are picking there or not. Who knows, but that is the expectation that as far as the gambling odds go, that it could be the Browns taking Travis Hunter. And so the GM of the Cleveland Browns, Andrew Berry, spoke about Travis Hunter's skill set and also compared him to one of the all time great talents that we are currently watching.
Speaker 1: That number two pick is that's kind of how he's viewed, is the guy that can do ball versus.
Speaker 3: Just his one side of the other.
Speaker 9: No, I don't see it that way. I think it's and I'm going to use a crossburn now, it's a little bit like Otani, right, where you know, when he's playing one side, he's an outstanding player. If he's a pitcher, he's a hitter, he's an outstanding player. You obviously get a unicorn if you use them both ways.
Speaker 2: All right, So he's getting the Otani comp. He hasn't played in.
Speaker 3: The that's not a good yes, not a good comp.
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 3: Well, because what is otan? What does Otani play when he's not being a picture? Well? Well done? Yeah, that was more so his he doesn't need interpret that's like that.
Speaker 2: That's that sneaky shot. They're like, why do you go down?
Speaker 3: How do you all? Is right there?
Speaker 2: Brady with an undercut? You know, just a little something, a little under underneath.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I'll say, is his normal position is not picture correct? Doesn't he pay like shortstop or something? No? Yeah, No, he's a d H d H picture. You know he's not a picture all the time. Well, he's not a picture. Don't be miss miss like leading.
Speaker 2: Here's why, you know, if you want to say it's not a fair comp. First of all, because Travis Hunter hasn't done anything in the league yet, But also don't don't do that. No, I'm just saying no, I'm just saying, is that we have no idea if it's going to work out, And if it's the Browns, who.
Speaker 3: Knows, well, that's even more true.
Speaker 2: But Otani he's working to come back. He is hoping to pitch at some point this year, and he's a great hitter. And so the.
Speaker 3: Baseball players play both sides. They NBA or you know, basketball, they play both sides, right, like you play offense and you play defense.
Speaker 2: We've never seen anybody be able to pitch and hit the way Otani has.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they go both ways. They do both. Well. No, I'm not saying that's you know what I mean, like the defense. Yeah, it's not require for you to do both in football. So that's why I say it's a poor comp But I mean, I get what you're saying.
Speaker 4: You're basically saying, like, for example, if we're counting pitching his defense right in baseball, which it would be correct, it'd be like him playing pitcher and like, and then Travis Hunter playing cornerback and d end right like, that's in essence what you're saying. I'm saying, you play both quarter and also a wide receiver.
Speaker 3: Quarterback. D n White, Dane I mean, I mean that's the equivalent of show Hey, yeah, but I would.
Speaker 8: That.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I just think that with with Travis Hunter, you're getting a unicorn. If he can play at a high level and play here here, here's the thing, right, If you play on that cornerback and he can become an All Pro, that is phenomenal in itself. Period. If he plays receiver and can become an All Pro, that is phenomenal period. You know, some of the greatest players who have ever played this game only have like like a handful or less than a handful of first team All Pro bids. Right, So if you're good enough to be an All Pro player and on that list at your position, that's phenomenal. Now, if you have that type of talent, are we are we adjusting our scope? Are we saying, Okay, he should be an All Pro corner but just be a serviceable receiver, or should he be an All Pro receiver and be a serviceable cornerback? Like what are we looking? How are we? Because again the conversation that we had the other day when we were debating, and I know you said, you know his status, we looked up his stat lines or you looked up his stat lines Q and made the point because I think t mac is is a guy that is special at the receiver's position. But the point is is that if you believe that he can be an elite playmaking receiver where he goes number two overall in the draft, are you expecting him to do that at both positions or is it just one? Because I think that plays a major part in all of this. Is it both ways or is it just one and serviceable to the other. Well, here's what I'd say is right if we look at the draft.
Speaker 4: And people always say, oh, you get a fifty percent chance of getting a hit on a guy in the first round, right, people will say that, well, technically, if he plays two positions, gotta get fifty percent chance at either one. And so I think the position versatility or flexibility is where the value comes in. Is if you think he can be like he was in college, a top wide receiver and or a top cornerback, then it increases your odds of hitting on that pick, of getting a guy that is maybe a gold jacket guy at one of those two positions. Now, if it ends up being both, great, but from just a pure odds betting standpoint, If you're a betting man and you're saying, I can increase my odds of this player being an impactful players starter, pro bowler, All Pro, Hall of Famer at one of two positions, it takes some pressure off of you, right. I mean, you could play him a wide receiver if things aren't going as well, put him at cornerback. Like I think, I have a hard time believing that one of those two isn't gonna stick for him, at least based on what I've seen on tape. Again, I keep going back to I think his natural fit for me, and this is just more of watching him play both. And look, don't get me wrong, he's got natural instincts as far as a ball catcher, a great hand, eye coordination, suddenness, and his route running.
Speaker 3: But he's still very raw with.
Speaker 4: His route running and that's something that takes time to develop whether you're Travis Hunt or any other wide receiver. But as a cornerback, he just has a feel for the game and how he sees the game and how he sees the quarterback and how that you know, and different route combinations. I just I feel like that position comes to him more naturally and So all I'm saying is if you could take someone who proves your chances of it being a hit as a general manager, that goes on your resume to showcase to the owner and everyone else that hey, this is you know, this was a hit. This was another another hit, another one that worked out for me as a general manager, You're gonna take that guy. So I don't know which will end up playing on. Maybe the Browns will do both, like maybe that'll be part of the intrigue for twenty twenty five. If this is a team that's still at the bottom of the AFC North because of the quarterback situation, at least you're selling one of those dynamic players we've ever seen, potentially in his rookie season trying to play both ways. There's something to be said for that.
Speaker 3: If he's listed as both ways, how are you going to pay him?
Speaker 4: How do you have to worry about You don't have to worry about that for at least three more years, But but how do you do you pay him for both positions?
Speaker 3: Because that's a roster he's if he is a full time receiver and he's a full time corner, your your CBA, the draft and the rookie draft, Sellar pool slotted, so it doesn't really have anything to do with you know now, Now, where where he'll get a bonus is his play snap percentage. So remember, because even when he's paid as a rookie, he'll get a huge bonus at the end of the year if he's playing both ways because of the amount of snaps. He's playing on both sides of the ball. So that's where he'll be able to.
Speaker 4: Cash in on that. And that's where the eno. You know, NFLP has done a good job and trying to reward guys who aren't being paid as much, and especially as rookies, but they're playing a lot, so it's at least covering a Porsche of that gap. And I understand what you're saying, but that's three years away. That's that's the first opportunity.
Speaker 3: That man became an All pro on both sides of the ball as a receiver and as a corner, which we've never seen that happen ever before. How are you going to pay that man?
Speaker 2: Let me ask you, because I think it's along the lines of what you were thinking, LeVar, but I'll kind of throw it at you. Guys if he was just a wide receiver, Is he in consideration for the number two pick?
Speaker 3: No? No, if he just there's no receiver being considered, right.
Speaker 2: So if he was just a corner, would be would he be in consideration for the number two pick.
Speaker 4: No, that's a good way of putting, because I would say yes, though I would say yes.
Speaker 3: In that regard. I say, he's not a top five pick at corner. I think he's more like Will Howard. Is a Will Howard who the corner out of Mill Johnson, Will Johns, Will Johnson. I say he's more like that, He's more in that that category. Then again, no, I take that back. I take I take that back. I take that back because I'm thinking about Champ Bailey or he's on the level of I mean, actually, yeah, he's on the level of a Charles Woodson more so than even a Chant Bailey. I mean he's in that category of players. So yes, yes, he would. So I'll put it this way.
Speaker 4: I think I think he's the best corner and I do think in a class that by the way, it's not a great wide receiver class. So between t mac Luther Burden, you know, Matthew Gold's got a lot of buzz in Texas because he's so fast, you know, I don't know that you go and watch the tape and say, like, can he come in and be immediate number one? And that's what you're usually drafting him to be. So it's kind of interesting. But I think he's one of the best, if not the best, in the wide receiver class too, So it all depends on how you view him. But I think as a cornerback without a doubt. As a wide receiver, it might be partially due to the wide receiver class though too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's a top he's a top five pick. He's a top five pick at cornerback. I'm not going to go I'm not going to go that far at receiver. Cornerback. He's tough, fat pick. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's well, it looks like it'll be in Cleveland, So it would behoove them to try and maximize his abilities, Like if you've got that sort of talent, would it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: All right? Ethertherwise, you know, am I losing sooner?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wapp.
Speaker 2: So we mentioned now what the Cleveland Browns might do a quarterback or excuse me, at the number two pick, and the feeling is they're going to go with Travis Hunter. That's at least what the speculation is. And the question then becomes, what's the long term planet quarterback? Well, listen, Andrew Berry, the GM there says it's a little too early to tell whether or not Deshaun Watson can play in twenty twenty five. I'd like to offer this up. Some would argue it's debatable whether or not he's played yet for the organization based on what has happened, suspensions, performance, etc.
Speaker 3: Etc.
Speaker 2: But nonetheless, now they've got a quarterback room that's got Joe Flacco and Kenny Pickett. Joe Flacco was brought back he wont comeback Player of the Year a couple of years ago, and so the discussion was being had with the fan in Cleveland. He was talking with Ken Carmon and Anthony Lima about the development of quarterbacks in the NFL and had this to.
Speaker 10: Say, I do think it's important for young quarterbacks to be able to learn. You don't want to put a young quarterback in a football game before he's actually ready, because you know, there's just so many things in the cycle in this league these days is just so quick. You want these guys to be ready. And I do think there's huge advantages to being able to sit back and make sure you get and gain that confidence and and really really learn the game and get the team surrounded in a good way so that you can go out there and have success. And I think that stuff happens naturally through like competition in different rooms. And you know, like the more competition you have and the more people you have competing, the more conversations come up and the more people learn. I think that's true in not just in sports, but in every environment. You want good people in a room together that can push each other and then you'll get the most out of everybody.
Speaker 2: So that was Joe Flacco talking with the fan in Cleveland about the development of quarterbacks there.
Speaker 4: I mean, well, yeah, he's you know, forty years old now, or you know, that's that's what it sounds like. I mean, when you played for as long as he has seventeen years, it's gonna come off that way. And I think, look, going back to his experience, he was a guy who started, you know, as a rookie, and you know, they had a lot of team success. He was good as a rookie. He continually got better and better and better. But you know, when you go back and look at the course of his career, he had continually developed into the position after his first couple of years to really be a guy that they could rely on, in particular in the clutch. And I think what he probably learned from his looking back at his rookie ear and even just playing for as long as he played, is you know, and this is kind of happens. I think to all of us as fathers, like you look at your child or you look at younger generations and you're like, oh, I remember going through that, Like this is probably what they don't know or this is what they need to know in order to be able to do this the right way or be successful. And now again, playing as long as he has, he's seeing all that in real time as he's you know, had to kind of come in and pinch hit, if you will, for a lot of you know, younger guys his Stinton Cleveland back in twenty twenty three, a couple of years ago, and even last year for Anthony Richardson, and I think he's very aware of how different things are now. You know, for quarterbacks coming to the league, where they draft them, they play them, and they rinse them out right, they don't get any time to really sit, watch and learn unless you're a part of an organization that tries to do a right or if you've got a Hall of Fame guy sitting there in front of him, or at least a Pro Bowl caliber guy like an Alex Smith or in the case of Green Bay, Aaron Rodgers and then Jordan Love, so that that's really few and far between, right, most teams are hoping they could find a guy that's gonna be a Pro Bowl caliber quarterback, let alone a Hall of Famer. And so I think is you know, his words are wise in the sense of probably everything he's experience as a starter, as a backup, as a guy who look at he's made a ton of money at this point in time in his career, He's won a Super Bowl, he's he's continually been able to prove that he can still do.
Speaker 3: It, and so he does a need to.
Speaker 4: I think there's a desire of one two and at the same time being able to be a guy who's he's got five kids. You know, he's he's a family man, So he probably sees it from a lot different perspective, uh than a lot of guys who played the position, especially a lot of the young guys. Dang kids. He can sling that pill. Huh. He's a quarterback on and I.
Speaker 2: Think I think he also said he was, uh it was kind of nice to get away from his kids for a little bit.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 2: He was kind of half joking, but I think he just wanted to break.
Speaker 3: I think it's a I think it's a wise move to bring in Flaco for one reason and one reason alone. We could work from there. In my estimation, it's because you have someone that can stabilize an unstable environment as as the quarterback. I think the Deshaun Watson conversation has created so much, so much confusion, so much you know kind of you know, is a conflict of how you want to feel about the situation, is it you know, what's next for the situation. There's so much surrounding Deshaun Watson that has been a an agent of deterioration for the Cleveland Browns. To bring a rookie into that equation, whether they're prepared for mentally, emotionally, physically to be able to handle it or not. It's really an unfair task and wait to put on the shoulders of a newly acquired, a newly hired talent for that position for your team and knowing that that that element is still there, like whoever goes in has to accept the fact that Deshaun Watson still has to be a part of the conversation in terms of whose team is this at that position. That would be the first thing that I would say would be the wisest move in bringing in a quarterback would be to bring in a guy like Joe Flacco who things like that are not going to bother him. He's already clearly shown you that it's not going to bother him. He's on borrowed time anyway, He's at the end of his career, and anything that he gets from this moment on is he's playing with house money. So he's going to go in there. He's familiar with the front office, he's familiar with guys that are in the locker room, and he's going to be a positive force to the players that are in there and the other people that are around, including the fan base. He's a positive asset to add to your team and to add to your room. And hey, if Picket proves out then and is able to learn some things from Flacco during this time, and you get get a bonus and Picket developing. If you take a draft pick somewhere, they got a few. They they got the thirty third pick in the second round. So that's that's a pretty pretty, uh pretty good position to be in to either be able to move up maybe a little bit in the second round or sit there and somebody's going to possibly fall to you at that thirty third pick. I think that for what it's worth, and you may not hear me say this often, I think Cleveland played this particular situation the right way in terms of a quarterback that can handle what's going on right now in Cleveland.
Speaker 2: When he talks about like developing young quarterbacks and you know how to how teams go about or how they should go about it, it still blows my mind that And I know it's not an exact science and every players different and all that, but it still blows my mind that you draft a guy as almost he's an investment, and I don't know a whole hell of a lot about investing, but I do know that it does take some time, and you don't want to, like, you know, manipulate your investment too soon, because you got to let it grow a little bit.
Speaker 3: You gotta let it.
Speaker 2: And Joe Flacco's point was like, man, I think we got to be a little bit more patient, But nowadays they're just not. They want to know now, all right, can you play now?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: Who the hell knows? Like it could be situation, it could be time, it could be another scenario altogether. Alex Smith took years before he developed. He went through like seven coaches or offensive coordinators, whatever it was, and finally he found something. Had they pulled the rugout early on, he would have never developed into a guy that, you know, brought Kansas City to where they were before Patrick Mahomes took over and got him over the hump. You look at Sam Darnold Baker Mayfield. Man, if you would have talked to the Brown's back then the book was written on Baker Mayfield. And yet for some reason it just feels like, no, we got to know. Now we need an answer. Now it's an investment. But no, no, no, we got to have some answers, We've got to have some returns.
Speaker 3: Now, I feel like Baker Mayfield might have done something, they flirted with the wrong person or something man, And.
Speaker 2: I thought, look, I think I think Rogers.
Speaker 3: In person, somebody's hey, he upsets somebody.
Speaker 2: I think Rogers, you know, has kind of made this point before to where like, man, there's there's got to be some trust, like some hey, look, we are trusting You're making the decision, and we're trusting this pick at this time, and let's let it grow. Instead it's like, now he can't play, he's got to go like and there's so many examples of that, And I don't get why in a in a business like the NFL, where you are dependent on everybody around you to be successful, why it all comes down to, now that guy can't play well, No, Like, you've got to produce the environment for him to play. And that seems to be lost in so many situations.
Speaker 4: So I keep going back to, too, how different the game is at the NFL level from the college level. And I hope people understand this that RPOs they're not as capable or impactful of the NFL level because the rule that you could only have an eligible lineman, for example, downfield only a yard.
Speaker 3: In college and high school.
Speaker 4: It's three and honestly it's more like three and a half because it's so hard for officials to be able to see it at that point in the play. I mean when when you picture or think about an offensive lineman moving three yards downfield, that's a couple seconds into the play, right, he's moving through a gigantic human being across from Even if he's uncovered moving up to the next level, he's still trying to get a sense for what that linebacker is going to be because don't get a twisted it is a run play, all right. There's different types of passprotex is. There's pass pro, there's run action pro. Where it's a pass play. The linemen know not to go downfield, but they are doing their best to block it like it's a run and so their responsibilities in regards to pressure are off. They don't adjust anything they're doing. They are relying on the fake then a run action pass protection to be able to take care of whatever is going on and pre snap. If the quarterback sees something that he's like, this is a disaster, you get out of it right, you audible out of it. But it's entirely different with an RPO, it is a run play. That quarterback has the opportunity to hand that football off high school, college level, even at the NFL level, the way it's taught, and then you're triggering or you're reading off one player on defense, and so the game has become so simplified at the high school to college level to where you have one of two choices. You're either keeping it and you're gonna throw, depending on what that defender does, if he steps up to stop the run, or if we still back in coverage, you're gonna hand the football off. And honestly, RPOs have replaced what used to be quick game, the three step game, where even in three step drop it sounds somewhat simple right one, two.
Speaker 3: Three, you're throwing the football.
Speaker 4: You're not really able to hitch up in the pocket because you're not getting any depth. You still had to read coverage. Even in a three step game, you had a one high or two high look, meaning if there's one safety in middle of the field, you're working to your left. If there's two high safeties right, a split safety look, you're working to your right, or there could be a three by one set where you're checking your backside singled up route.
Speaker 3: If you like it, you take it. If not, you're probably working a quick progression to the other side.
Speaker 4: So that used to be like the simplest form of passing back when I was young, back when a lot of quarterbacks were growing up through an era and a time where you used to play under center a little bit more, or even if you were in shotgun.
Speaker 3: That was part of the quick game. The RPO game has.
Speaker 4: Essentially replaced that because you get the ability to put the defense in conflict much more. There's that run pass conflict of reading that overhang defender or whoever whatever defender it is to decide if you want to throw or run the football. And if you think about what three step passing game was, it was like a glorified handoff. It was a higher percentage pass that you're gonna be able to to complete and not get a big gain, but move the sticks or at least get enough of a game where it puts you in third and manageable, or you're back on track if you happen to take a loss on first down and so you're back in third and manageable, right, you know, in those instances. So to me, the subtle difference is in how the game is taught at high school to college and now to the NFL. Is one of those things that it takes time and then you're making these decisions in seconds. One one thousand and two, one thousand balls got to be out, and you've got all these other things you have to.
Speaker 3: Be worried about.
Speaker 4: It's not really that way at a lot of the colleges, even with some of the NFO. You know, coaches that are down at that level or even what they're asking him, you know what they're doing. And it's why the NFL has had to adapt a lot of their offensive scheme to what these quarterbacks are accustomed to doing because they don't have the time to develop and no one has the patience anymore to see if they can develop into being that guy. They have to be able to show it in their rookie year otherwise everyone throws them the wayside.
Speaker 3: That's weird, man.
Speaker 2: It's unfortunate for these guys that just get lumped in like n Think about Kenny Pickett, what's he on his third team?
Speaker 3: Third team? He just got drafted and he just got traded.
Speaker 2: He's traded twice, so this third team like he just got into the league.
Speaker 3: Like not that long ago.
Speaker 2: We were at that draft in Vegas when he was when he was selected, and just the books apparently already written