Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Bond traders are boosting wagers that the Fed is about to signal deeper interest rate cuts next year than the market anticipates. Wall Street is preparing for a potential rate pause in January. We're going to talk about those implications on private markets and public credit markets with Marathon Asset Management CEO Bruce Richards. You have still inflation above the Fed's target, yet the market is expecting another cut. What does that mean to you in terms of the trajectory of inflation going into a bigger easing cycle ahead, even if that easing cycle is less than initially expected.
Speaker 3: Nasionally, great question is open with So forty three straight months core CPI is above three percent, forty three straight months, it's rather remarkable. We haven't seen a stretch like this in a really long time. In the last three months. Three point three percent is the number. The Fed poal won't tell us this, but they've given up on two percent.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 3: They've given up untio because they know the numbers three and they know tariffs are coming and so that's gonna keep it firm. They know proeconomic policies are coming, less regulation and so that's gonna keep it firm. They know it's not going back down to two, they can't.
Speaker 1: Tell us that.
Speaker 3: So what they're gonna tell us in today's FED meeting is they're cutting rates twenty five base points. And so from September eighteenth to December eighteen, today, exactly three months, they will have reduced rates one hundred base points, probably a bit much, given growth is above three percent this quarter GDP expected by the Fed, and given where inflation is, and so I think we'll see the dot plot go from four today where it was previously, to three Next year. You have eight meetings, there's only going to be two maybe three cuts next year, and so most of the time they're gonna be in pause. And that's gonna keep the markets anxious next year because most of the times they won't won't be easing, and the markets really like.
Speaker 2: The c and ees. So what does this mean in terms of the trajectory of inflation next year? If you're a fixing come investor, inflation as killer and so do you expect that it's going to be a higher than anticipated And do you feel, like some investors do, of a seventy style repeat.
Speaker 3: I believe that our star. You know, the real rate of rates is going to be higher, the nominal rate's going to be higher. You know, FED is lower rates after today one hundred base points. You have to tell your notes gone up seventy five basis points. And so the markets, the bond markets aren't believing the fed's language as it relates to inflation. They take what the FED gives them in terms of the FED easing. Equity markets love it, Debt markets love it. It's great for the economy. But real rates are higher.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that's so interesting. I mentioned you mentioned of course, at two pm today we'll have had one hundred basis points of easing. The long end has just been you know, it's been shocking to see that move, and you know, you talk through the reasoning and what that could, why it could be happening, But what does it mean for other asset classes? When does the equity market wake up to the fact that the long end is saying, hello, look at the trajectory of where things are going.
Speaker 3: The first thing it means is and we haven't seen front rates come down fifty one hundred base points and long rates go up by fifty to one hundred base points. We haven't seen this dynamic since nineteen nineties. It's not happened since then. And what happened then was the commune is strong. That's why rates were going up. Yet the FED was easing, and so what happened credit spreads went to their tightest levels ever. This is investment grade, triple bes, double bees, high yield, all to their tightest levels ever. So what we're going to and it's stayed there for a year and a half, So what we're going to see. The first knock on is the commedy's doing well, earnings are doing well, and so the corporate credit spreads are going to tighten in. But yet you can earn a seven percent in liquid markets in both you know, high yield and other structured credit instruments that are non investment grade. And so it's a good rate, but yet it's really tight spread because the credit risk is being mitigated.
Speaker 1: Now, well that's what's happening now, right. I mean, you have credit spreads across the spectrum at very very tight levels, and you put it all together, you could make a case for backing up the truck on investment grade and on junk.
Speaker 3: Are you making that case we've been buying, and we'll continue to buy, and I think that you'll have a low volatility environment for those types of assets. And so do you want to back up the truck now? I think you want to be equal weight now. But I think that within your kind of fixed income allocation, you want a nice, healthy allocation because I think the risk factors down, the risk factors being credit risk, and you're getting paid an average yield despite what's a tight spread.
Speaker 2: So how do you invest through all of this At the end of the day, this is the setup. You believe that the rate is higher. At the end of the day, you are seeing that diversions that you haven't seen since the nineties. What do you do with that?
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, I think it starts Sonali with the sixty to forty model, right, and the sixty to forty model is alive, and well, it's how every investor, whether you're a wealth investor in high net worth or whether you're an institutional investor, should think about investing the sixty to forty model. And so within the sixty best equities and that's public equities, and that's how we think about it traditionally, but public equities have just had back to back years of twenty five percent plus gains. You've only had that twice in the nineties and the nineteen fifties, and so it's probably not going to be repeated next year because we've brought forward some of this price action. And so I think this is the time where you want to say, Okay, equities will make a seven percent return in our historical return, and we'll really want to lean into private equity, and so think about public and private equity for the sixty percent model. Is how you want to think about that?
Speaker 2: Wreas we only have time for one more question left here, But you said this thing in the commercial break that I really want to get to. You told us you think basal three end game is dead. You think that that has serious implications for credit markets. Your conversations with the banks right now bring us inside of them and what that says about.
Speaker 3: Where this is. So I do believe that BASWL free end game is dead because I believe part of the regulations that we're going to see, the regulatory relief that we're going to see, is going to also transform into what's happening in the banking system. Rather than have these onerous rules placed yet on the banks. I think the conversations that Jamie Diamond and Donald Trump and you know, and and other people in the administration incoming administration that with the bankers has has will.
Speaker 1: Lead to that.
Speaker 3: And I know the FED and Vice Fray mc barr has a lot to say about this, but I believe it's dead. And so what that means, it means the cet one ratios of the banks, which are pretty strong and pretty large. It's going to unleash a lot of ability for the banks to be able to lend. The number one place To're going to lend to isle lend across the board, but they'll lend loan on loan, and so folks like Marathon will get really attractive financing from the banking system. And that attractive financing in the form of lower rates that we're going to be borrowing at, will help drive our private credit returns. And so the forty model getting back to sixty forty is not only forty percent fixed income, but half of that should be in private credit direct lending. We're seeing twice the deal flow that we're seeing today now this past quarter than we did in the whole last year. And asset based lending is alive and well and taking off in a big way. And having that financing available from the banks is your big boon to all of us in the private credit markets.
Speaker 1: All right, Bruce come back in twenty twenty five, will you definitely? All right? Happy holidays, holidays, it's great to see you. We've really covered a lot, so look forward to speaking again. That is Bruce Richards. He is the CEO of Marathon