Speaker 1: Nothing matters and what if it did? It's one more thing.
Speaker 2: I'm strong. One more thing.
Speaker 1: That's the name of a John Cougar Mellencamp album, isn't it? Is that the name of an album?
Speaker 2: Yes, it's absolutely an album.
Speaker 1: Nothing matters and what if it did?
Speaker 2: It is checking? Is that John Mellenhead? I think as we used to call him back in the Midwest. Yep, but it's melonhead.
Speaker 1: But before we get to nothing matters and what if it did?
Speaker 2: R F.
Speaker 1: K Junior, our Secretary of Health and something or other and Pete Hegzet the Second Deaf, had a bit of a fitness challenge thing they were doing yesterday to try to get the whole presidential fitness thing off and running and emphasize fitness. Here's a little bit about that.
Speaker 2: Him, Robert John Jr.
Speaker 1: You're the secretary, I mean here was secretary exists in the Department of Avez.
Speaker 3: So we had our big, big big body challenge today.
Speaker 2: Fifty pull ups, one hundred pushups you can try to get under five minutes.
Speaker 1: How'd you ever got close? Twenty five? You were right behind me, so uh the numbers on that if you didn't catch him. Fifty pull ups, which would take me a month. Yeah, and one hundred pushups, which I could do in uh, you know, in a half an hour, probably in under five minutes. He didn't quite get there. Now, Pete hegseeth is forty five and in super shape and was doing pull ups and everything like that. Still, you know, impressive, but freaking RFK junior seventy one and I was watching him crank out those pull ups. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Well he's a roid.
Speaker 1: Boy, right, yeah, but still he's seventy one.
Speaker 2: And he's wearing jeans, and he's wearing jeans at the gym like I do at the gym. Right, those most.
Speaker 1: Who believe in wearing dungarees to the gymnasium, yes, were you wearing cowboy boots as well to the gym? I was not.
Speaker 2: I was wearing gymnasium shuresses and leave the boots. Yes.
Speaker 1: The problem with setting the standards too high. I feel like this is what the presidential fitness thing was like when we were kids. You set a standard that nobody can get. It's something you learn with goal setting business. If you can't reach the goal, it's meaningless. You don't motivate anybody to do anything. And like, if you have a goal of fifty pull ups, I don't like work toward it. I just think, screw it. I'm never going to be able to do it. So you have to have a realistic goal for crime out loud. I would agree, yes, certainly sub goals that you can reach. It was funny though, I mentioned during the end of the radio show that I'm watching Quarterback on Netflix. Their charming Peyton Manning produced you know, documentary on NFL quarterbacks. They like highlight three of them per season and follow them through the season, the.
Speaker 2: Ups and downs and injuries and stuff like that. Truly couldn't compel this season, oh, the most recent season. Joe Burrow of the Cincinnati Bengals. I'm handsome as can be.
Speaker 1: I'm a Borough fan.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, me too, A really interesting guy. Uh, you're putting me on the spot here. It was with the Rams. Now with the Detroit Lions doing great, got traded for Matthew Stafford. Michael helped me here. I can see the face. I can't. I know me too, me too. It'll wait. They ja Red Goff. They chant his name all around the city. They chant whenever they see him, Jared Goff.
Speaker 1: That's interesting that you couldn't remember, but when you chanted, you could remember.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well yeah, well that's why people you can remember stuff set to music. And then the third one is a handsome fella used to be quarterback from Minnesota's Now with Atlanta Square jawed Christian uh Father Kirk Cousins Cousins, thank you very much, Michael. Anyway, I can't remember which it might have been. Cousins said, I pursue perfection. Maybe it wasn't Cousin. It doesn't matter. I sue perfection because pursuing perfection is the only way you get to excellence. Interesting, but that's different than a number of push ups. It's just thought. I thought of that when you brought that up. Well, I think it's and I'd rather not say this out loud because of the derision it will and should bring. But obviously, if you're doing I don't know, a podcast or radio show, you're trying to make it perfect so that it's excellent. It will never be perfect, that's clear. Eliminate all mistakes and f ups and boring parts and the rest of that's the goal, clearly.
Speaker 1: Huh, where were we?
Speaker 2: I can't even do a pull up? Can you believe that I'm doing a lot of assisted pull ups. You ever seen that machine, a counterweight machine.
Speaker 1: I think that thing is great the same, Yeah, because then you can at least do them. Yeah, I use the resistance bands attached to the bar. I was going to a fancy gym that had those machines where you could do dips or pull ups with a little assistant. Yeah, that was great. The gym I go to now is pretty much just giant hunks of metal and bar, so it doesn't have the fancy stuff. But yeah, can you just.
Speaker 2: Go ahead and say you're in prison, Let's just be honest about it, Jack.
Speaker 1: Right now, he's broadcasting from cell block C. That's right from when I defrauded an inn caper. That one time I went to two movies for one price a dark Day, Okay, so that's that, and then this other thing I wanted to get on here. This is a little Instagram reel I came across a Jerry Seinfeld that I thought was really interesting.
Speaker 2: I've always had the skill of extracting the essence of any object I study, be it scientology, judaism, zen, yoga, meditation.
Speaker 3: Right on this Marra Aurelius is my new one. The Roman emperor who wrote a book called Meditations, which was the beginning of Stoicism, and that that's my obsession now is Marcus Aurelius. He had this fantastic philosophical observations.
Speaker 2: On life, and you've learned what from that.
Speaker 3: That everything that you're worried about is going to be gone like that. The people that you that are criticizing you, they're going to be gone. You're going to be gone. All this hand ringing worry and concern over how are people viewing me? And uh, someone said something bad about me and you get so upset about it is wasted time and energy. Marcus Aurelius says, your only focus should be on getting better at what you're doing. Focus on what you're doing, get better at what you're doing. Everything else is a complete waste of time.
Speaker 1: I thought that was damned interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I agree, And I'm really interested in Stoicism and read a fair amount about it. It's interesting how Stoicism, or like Buddhism, being you know, completely at peace and very zen. The rest of it is not far off of nihilism. True, it's a bit of a horseshoe theory. Thing. Yeah, they all get to so much of what you worry about doesn't matter, So stop worrying.
Speaker 1: Is it possible to get very far down the road though, of letting go of worrying about crap you should worry about. And I think about it. I was thinking about this the other day before. So I heard that Seinfeld thing two days ago, and I've been it's been on my mind a lot. And i'd had in the last week, I'd seen a couple of little kids between the ages of like two and four doing their little kid thing, like in the park or at stores or whatever. Nobody lives in the moment, like a four year old or a two year old. I mean, they are one thousand percent invested in what they're doing at that moment. They're not thinking about, you know, what is the point of this, Or it's gonna be hot this weekend or whatever, or a lot of people think to me, you're making this mud pie, yeah, Or I sure wish I had a new car, you know, Am I going to pay that bill? Yeah? Yeah? Or just well paying a bill at least there's something important there. A lot of the stuff you worry about just has no value whatsoever. I mean zero value. Is there a reason we age out of that and can't get back into it at all? As much as O kid in the park, And I thought, God, it would be if I could do that for ten minutes. How refreshing would it be to be completely in the moment without dwelling on stupid crap?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think some people do return to it. Yeah. Indeed, in older age you realize it's you know, the cliche, but it's a good one. Is the three stages. You worry about what other people think of you, then you don't worry what other people are thinking of you. Then you realize they weren't thinking of you.
Speaker 1: Yes, Michael, No, I agree with it what Joe said.
Speaker 2: When you get much older, you get to a point where you don't care what you say. Oh, and that is my favorite stage of people.
Speaker 1: That's why I love that. My thirteen year old keeps talking about I can't wait till I'm old and I can just say whatever I want. We'll walk by a group of people, he say, you know what I would say if I was old.
Speaker 2: I just love it.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, well there's that, but uh huh, And I suppose it doesn't a lot of it doesn't matter anymore. So that's one way to let go of it. It never did matter, is the thing. It never did matter.
Speaker 2: That realization that it never mattered. Maybe that clicks And if anybody else got hung up on this, because I was thinking about it for a second or two. But Jerry Seinfeld saying the only thing that matters is to get better at what you are doing. To do that, well, the obvious retort to that is all that'll be gone too. So that's a waste of time and meaningless too. I think the answer to that is no, that's really the only true joy and satisfaction you can have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not a waste of time to pursue something and get better at it. It's meaningless over in the long run of history of time.
Speaker 2: But we just get a long run. No, you know, we get a short run, So talk to me about the short run. With all due respect to those who are going to come in six hundred and fifty years, I wish them well, but that ain't my problem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know that living in the moment. If you've had any luck with getting better at living in the moment, please text your email. I would like to get better at that. I meditate all the time, like I've talked about in the air a lot, and it's helped a lot with like even keel and all that sort of stuff. But living in the moment, it hasn't improved any I don't think I want to be like a three year old at the And all I'm thinking about is how green the grass is? Not they they overwatered. It is probably my tax money in the blood, you know, just wherever else goes, take mushrooms. That's the answer. Take mushrooms.
Speaker 2: There you go. That's and that's an answer. You know. It's funny. I've been sitting on this article for a while. Of all people, Rick Perry, the former governor of Texas, has become this big time, forceful advocate for It's it's not mushrooms. I think it's eyebill gain one of your hallucinogenic drugs.
Speaker 1: That's what Joe Rogan's talking about all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to treat PTSD in particular among service people, and and and it's really interesting. It's funny because I saw the headline the Long Strange trip of Rick Perry, the former Texas governor and Trump Energy secretary. Oops Oopsy has now dead, dicated his life to promoting the powerful psychedelic eyebogain and I thought, wow, that's wacky, that's crazy. Is he a lobbyist or whatever? But no, as it turns out, it's really really interesting, and he is seriously concerned about people because he's had some psychological problems that he never talked about, kept it quiet like you do in politics. But he's seriously concerned about veterans especially. And I will tell you from talking to others who have experimented with psychedelic drugs through the years, the way human beings look at life and experiences and what we're talking about being in the moment. That sort of thing is a long set of interconnected assumptions that you never think about anymore. They come to you automatically, and then you think the only choice is all right, what do I do now? Psychedelics can have a way of separating you from all of those assumptions that you make every day, and you realize, wow, a lot of what my mind has been doing has been a choice. It just doesn't feel like a choice anymore. And it's really helped folks with PTSD in that sort of thing, and not just from battle but you know, victims of crime and that sort of thing. You can step outside of your own experience and think, huh, that's not a good way to think about that, and it's up to me to think about it differently. So anyway, Rick Berry's real advocate for that.
Speaker 1: Wow, I remember, like a year or so ago.
Speaker 2: There's an addiction too. It can really help with addiction.
Speaker 1: There's some sort of story about like ninety eight percent of the thoughts you have are complete waste, like not needed at all. There's just random crap.
Speaker 2: Jeez.
Speaker 1: There should be a way to stop that, shouldn't there If you were are behind on an oxen with a with a metal plow two hundred years ago, did you have random useless thoughts or were you too busy toiling?
Speaker 2: Well? Are you both? I think you would focus on what you were doing, but as long as the ox was going straight, you would daydream a lot freking crooked ox Jesus, straighten up there, Oxy boy?
Speaker 1: What do you gotta pay to get an ox that will walk straight? When I was a kid, oxens walked straight, easy oxes. I don't know, Well, I guess that's it.