Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to this episode of the Weekly Zeitgeist.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: These are some of our favorite segments from this week, all edited together into one NonStop infotainment laugh stravaganza. Uh yeah, So, without further ado, here is the Weekly Zeitgeist. What is something from your search history?
Speaker 3: You know what sucks?
Speaker 4: I don't really have anything interesting in my search history right now because I could give a shit about everything right now. But I will say, my the tab that I keep going into I've gotten into this is so dorky. I really have gotten into those New York Times games.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, follow them beta.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm sorry, the numbers, the new beta numbers game that they're testing out, the fucking letterbox, the what is it called Vertex, and all the I'll.
Speaker 1: Only know word Wait, so okay, I know World's Spelling Bee, across Words and wordal that's yeah.
Speaker 4: They have a mini crossword. I do that one because it's free. And they have like, uh, they have just they have a ton of game there. Let me pull them up. But they have a new game that they're testing out and it's an it's just a math you just like figure out. They give you like six numbers and they give you a whatever, four hundred and ninety one, and you within those six numbers that they've given you have to try to land on four hundred and ninety one are closest to It's their newest game that they're doing, but they have all these other games.
Speaker 3: God damn it.
Speaker 1: Uh it appeals to the numerologists.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's really dorky. It's there's like letter box where you like, it's like a mash but there's letters all around and you just like build words.
Speaker 1: And oh yeah, spelling B.
Speaker 4: Right, No, that's a different one. Spelling B is like you have to use this letter in the center. But they have another one like that that's like the mash box and you just literally have to just it's really that's all I'm doing in my safari on my on my fucking phone. I'm not googling anything anymore. I'm sick of learning shit, I'm tired of information. I'm exhausted right now.
Speaker 1: You still play word absolutely, yeah, me to it, and I don't feel bad about it anymore. I'm just like, I still funk with this.
Speaker 3: I got in four today, I.
Speaker 1: Got it in six. I almost yeah, double bogied. Yeah, that's somebody when I was like bragging about how good I was a word, they were like, let me see your scores, all right, So six is a double bogie, a five is a bogie, fours par three is a birdie. Two is an eagle. Like that's how you like it? Like golf and that awful. It's terrible. White people ruin everything. Yeah, you're not gonna believe this.
Speaker 3: It was a white pro I know only white people think like that. I think it's kicked the fun.
Speaker 1: Out of this.
Speaker 5: It's wild to me though, that like New York Times went from like this newspaper to them like yo, the games though now Yeah, it's like that's really where they're strong now. Not the journalism.
Speaker 1: So much journalism was god awful. But have you played their angry birds skin It's no, I'm just joking. I'm just joking. J I want to make sure that you thought you. I have a joke.
Speaker 4: A story I tell on my first album called The Woke Bully, and it's about when I was thirteen. I was friends with these girls. I mean there were my friends and they were and I was the jokester, literally the same jokester that I am today. Where I'm just like, what's up, bitch, what's up?
Speaker 3: House up?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Whatever, whatever.
Speaker 3: That's how I talked.
Speaker 4: That's how I talked as I was a kid, and I had my friends write me a letter that was like, hey, Marcella, we know that you're so funny, and we know that your sense of humor is what it is, but we just want to say that if you're gonna call us sluts and whores, you need to say just kidding every time you say it.
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh my god, it's so fuck It's truly helpful for us.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And then so I went to school and they're like, hey, Marcella, did you read the letter? And I was like, I did, And I just want to say I'm absolutely gonna.
Speaker 3: Make sure I do that. Sluts just kidding.
Speaker 4: And I slipped them off and I walked away and I was never friends with them again. I tell the story much better. But I hate when people say just kidding. I don't care if people knew or didn't know you were kidding. Do not give in.
Speaker 1: I hate it. Lie to me, I don't care.
Speaker 3: I don't give a fuck. And women do it more than.
Speaker 1: You, Like you really thought that there was a new York Times Skin of Angry Birds, and I didn't want you to waste your time.
Speaker 3: I was excited. I would have googled it, and you ruined that opportunity.
Speaker 1: Well, I was just kidding. Oh, I had my sister and I like we would always like yeah, I just have a bad habit of always be like.
Speaker 3: Just kidd Yeah. I know you were abused as well. I can tell that was a controlling household, right.
Speaker 5: Wasn't that Christian Waite character like that she did that one bit where the characters would all everything was just kidding.
Speaker 1: I'm just kidding, just kidding, just kids.
Speaker 4: There's the thing women do and I hate it so much, drives me crazy. I hate it. I don't kind of people don't know I'm kidding or not. Maybe I'm not kidding, bitch, I don't want to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe you are a piece of shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Also, I think, especially with that specific incident, it was like we're thirteen and I I know you guys are all virgins, We're not.
Speaker 3: Like, can you relax?
Speaker 1: Like were they going to church or something? Where that was that you put on them like we are not.
Speaker 3: It was so stupid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I'm sure they're doing Okay, now what uh what something you think is overrated? Oh?
Speaker 8: Man, another thing I've been Uh, I've been wrestling with something i think is overrated. I'm gonna say the push for metaverse stuff. These Apple glasses. They got me kind of freaked out. I've been I watched that promo video and the.
Speaker 1: Ten minute one.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I got a little It kind of scared me, and I was like, I think that the the public appetite for this, even if it's not like global yet, even if it's still like the tech big tech kind of pushing it on us, I'm still like, this is massively overrated. I feel like this is going to turn us into the Wally Oh yesiety.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had that thought. I was like, Wally missed because they still have screens in front of them that they're looking at at a distance. I mean, this is what it's going to be.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the goggles are I mean, I actually think that Google glass was like the clo even though it looked kind of dorky, it was like the closest thing to like I'm surprised. I think it was just a little early. But yeah, these big goggles, I mean these look extremely goofy. I mean Yeah, you're going to see people at the airport walking with these goggles on. It's gonna be like you're gonna see them at the airport like in a month wearing that, and it's a it's pretty amazing. Anyways, Having said that, I did pre order five Bears.
Speaker 5: I mean, now, I was like, this is the sickest TV ever. That is how when I saw that, I was like, what if I blew up watching whatever the fuck I'm watching? Like when they did the things like what if it was a hundred foot screen and you're on a lake in Switzer wind, and I was.
Speaker 1: Like, whoa, that's true. Yeah, that's like that was the only thing. I'm like, that's cool.
Speaker 5: However, I'm not gonna send thirty five hundred dollars on that. But I can see, just like to everyone's point, the slippery slope it causes, and like cut to some airport and you have people missing their flights and shit because they've like passed out in their fucking vision goggles or whatever.
Speaker 8: And yeah, I didn't think about that, you know, as you said, one hundred foot screenthing, I'm like, oh, this is going to kill the movie theater potentially.
Speaker 1: It is, Yeah, it's gonna kill so many things. It just like further allows you to completely disassociate into a like cellular existence and like just makes it so cool to be in a room by yourself doing absolutely nothing.
Speaker 8: I've I've become one of these people who, like, I'm very big on proselytizing to everyone I meet about like the dangers of AI and kind of you know, being the trying to set I'm not trying to make myself sound like I'm ahead of the time. I feel like everybody else a lot of other people are doing this too, But like I feel like AI, chat, GBT, all this shit is going to like fundamentally disrupt our society and economy more than COVID did by.
Speaker 1: Like a long shot.
Speaker 8: I feel like this is going to be insane and destructive and there will be a lot of good that comes from it. But like I feel like, you know, this is kind of a cousin of that where I'm like, oh, we're not paying attention to how much. Yeah, this is going to change things and like kill jobs and probably maybe kill people.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The I feel like the vision pro goggles or whatever, it's like easier to see where that goes. I think for some people like Ais still like kind of obscure to them, where they're like, I don't know, it seems kind of cool orreas like I think like you're saying, it's like this is Wally, this is black mirror, remember the thing we have examples of how we enter a tech dystopia or maybe the matrix where everyone's a battery and like in their own little pot at some point.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 8: It's like the beginning of the Yeah, it really is like the it's like our first footstep into lifting in a completely digital way. And I think I call it something else, right, Like they they invented their own term that I saw at the Apple event that I'm forgetting now. But it's not augmented reality. It's like in reality.
Speaker 1: If some enhands reality feels like what it will be called. Yeah, it's it is so funny to me, like just in retrospect, looking at like when Mark Zuckerberg released his version of this, it was like it looked like it was fifteen years old, and it was just like such dog. It just looked like such shit. And then Apple drops this and it's like, oh, yeah, I mean that's that makes sense like if Mark Zuckerberg was like going as hard as he has been on the metaverse after releasing this product, I'd be scared. I'd be like, oh wow, this is really powerful. But he just dropped. He just dropped some like first iteration of wei level ship like the Nintendo Wii, like everything inside that looks like a Nintendo Wii generation below it, and the like we actually just improved on reality.
Speaker 5: Yeah, fuck having an Avatar? Just how about you watch Avatar on a thousand foot screen in the in the ocean.
Speaker 8: Yes, but I feel like Zuckerberg, at least his like instinct of like people are going to be on this, maybe that was correct, even though he's like diverting billions of meta dollars into this like goofy. Like it looks like in the Office when Dwight created a second life character. It looks worse than that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like if you've seen Jury Duty, it's like the defense defense attorney his video that he shows. Every time you say jury duty, I think of the Polyshore movie. I don't know, Yeah, that's what I was talking about. Why what's everyone else talking about? Yeah, biodome Luke, it's a real biodome situation. Everything that these apple glad I'm like, I mean, think about it. We're all gonna be living in biodomes and then we'll come out as virtual and Sino men because we haven't been in society. Next thing, you know, I'm fighting in the Global Wars because I'm in the army. Now, I'm like, wow, these guys love Polly Shore. Are you guys like shit? How have you been wheezing the juice? Late? Yeah? Hey, buddy, are you are you?
Speaker 10: Are you?
Speaker 8: Are you married?
Speaker 11: You?
Speaker 1: Good son in law? What's a what's something that you think is underrated?
Speaker 12: So just kind of looking at all the stuff with this new Marvel film. Uh, there was a film that I saw that I think a lot of people haven't seen. Premiered at a Toronto International Film Festival and twenty one and I programmed it for the Cleveland International Film Festival last year and it's on Netflix and it's called Fara and it is about it's a Palestinian coming of age story and it takes place during the Nakba in the nineteen forties and it's just very good and I just I feel like it got a lot of like I'm not gonna say there was controversy. There was controversy if you're a Zionist and you had a problem with this rating.
Speaker 1: You're trying to humanize these people, yes.
Speaker 12: Yeah, but it's it's I think, a really great film that I think everyone should see because it's just like and it's from a it was Jordan's international pick for best Picture for their International Future Oscar and it's really good.
Speaker 7: Like so it's on Netflix. I mean, it's just very well done.
Speaker 1: How do you spelled the title?
Speaker 12: I think it's fa r ah. There's a couple of variations of how you can spell fara.
Speaker 5: Yeah right right yeah yeah. Then wait, what were you saying about in relation to Marvel? You mentioned some of the mar We're just saying that Marvel's just taking up the oxygen is well no, I.
Speaker 12: Think there was like a like a character that was like like an Israeli cop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're going to get to that. Yeah yeah, so that's part of the Captain America.
Speaker 12: Oh right, right right, Like seeing that, I was like, okay, wow, let me talk about this.
Speaker 1: Yeah right.
Speaker 5: Rather than a former massad agent mutant super how about a human being who's living house.
Speaker 1: You know, you ever former masad or CIA or are you always just kind of, you know, doing doing the work behind the scenes. I feel like that, yeah, former or current, which is pretty wild for Marvel to be like, it's a massage, it's wild. Was Captain c I a yeah, partner, Yeah, it's a wild I was with somebody who's like, yeah, my dad was in the CIA and was like all like happy about it. And I was kind of like, yo, like doing what he's like, I remember that but like in the eighties, like yeah, like in Latin America and stuff. And I was like, right, like, no, why are you smiling?
Speaker 5: He's like I never saw him, but he was like like, we's got some cool stories. You should talk to him. I'm like, yeah, maybe he should talk to the fucking Hague.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now there's no alternative to hyper capitalism because he killed people. It was so sick, man. Basically what happened was like instead of like using communism like as a pressure point, we were using like you know, predatory loans from the World Bank and stuff. It was really cool man. Anyway, all right, well let's take a quick break and we'll come back and we'll talk about these these dang wildfires. We'll be that fact and we're back. And Fox News I think had a bunch of anti mask like chirons, like on screen over the shoulder graphics that they didn't get to use during the pandemic. Somehow, because they are bringing it back. They're doing with wildfire smoke what they did with COVID and calling public health advice to wear masks, masks and stay inside a left wing conspiracy. What is the conspiracy exactly? That's the point. You can't just be like, they want you to take care of yourself. That's a conspiracy. Okay, they're conspiring to do what through this? I don't know. It's a great question, because their theory of the case always seemed to be they're making a bigger deal about COVID than it really is to hurt Donald Trump. And somehow, even though every other country was making a bigger deal of it than we were, the fact that it was inconvenient for Donald Trump, that it was extra work, right, They're like, he already has so much work, was all part of a conspiracy. I guess. Okay. The difference here, obviously is that they don't kill anyone else by not wearing a mask, which is you know, a nice benefit. But they are you know, talking to a elderly audience, you know, and telling them that masking is part of a conspiracy to control you. To nobody really knows what. Stay home and watch more Fox News. I think sub subsistence wages are a way to control you. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 5: That's just my theory, because then what's your alternative if you don't do that?
Speaker 1: Anyway, I don't know anything about coersion, their financial and whatever, whatever. Okay, it's the masks.
Speaker 5: It's the masks. Thank god for Fox News. Yeah, for sure, for sure.
Speaker 1: So they have like experts on to recay, yeah, they So they invited Steve molloy on to discuss this matter in particular. He is a climate scientific Oh sorry, no, he's a former cigarette and coal lobbyist. They want to it's almost to speak specifically on behalf of smoke. You'll a big smoke. Okay, A lot of people have been hard on carcinogenic smoke past couple of days. We need to get the other side of this issue, right, right, right, he said, of the smoke. This doesn't kill anybody, This doesn't make anybody cough. This is not a health event. Just keep telling them that and maybe that'll be true. I just I love it. It's from a guy whose job it was to tell people to not worry about the smoke, Like where even though it's scientifically proven, like whether you're mining coal or you live near a coal fired plan, like the health outcomes and all these are being a cigarette smoke. And he's like, no, that's not a health of it, man, all right, can we move on? All right? Did my check? Okay, great, thank you? Third times, Like it's not like he can't be wrong about smoke being a risk to people's health. Okay, three times in a row. He's like, all right, I was wrong about the cigarettes, y'all got me there. And I was wrong about the coal. Yeah yeah, that's on me. That's on me. But the wildfires, but yeah, it does like raise it. I mean, yeah, there's nobody specifically funding the wildfires. Like he's not speaking on behalf of big wildfire. I guess it's just all part of an attempt to tamp down as we'll see any finger pointing specifically at fossil fuel companies. But sure, so just you know, to in case you you were believing the coal and cigarette lobbyist A twenty twenty one study found that thirty three thousand people a year die from pollution caused by wildfire smoke, Like, not pollution in general, that number is astronomically high. Just wildfire smoke. Thirty three thousand people a year die from that. Wow. Okay. Yeah, and then part of the reason why wearing a mask is being suggested and not mandated, by the way, is because the health risks are long term ones. They're they're not a thing that like will show up necessarily like right away, which that's gold for Fox News, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: If it doesn't affect you right this minute, then they can be like, it doesn't even matter, dude. Watch, I'm holding this your like plutonium rod. Look, I'm rubbing on my face it it's not doing anything to me. See maybe in like maybe three weeks from now and be fucked. But right now, all good, All good. So you don't wear a mask, jesus.
Speaker 1: Yeah. There's a history of people doing like really harmful things with like somebody with like leaded gas. They were like, I'll wash my hands in this leaded gas and I'll be fine, and then they got like credibly sick, like right after doing that. But yeah, multiple Fox News hosts have claimed that the smoke is totally fine because they went for a walk and don't feel a thing. So that's the level of scientific rigor that they're bringing to it. Uh beautiful, I know.
Speaker 5: Even like Laura Ingram on her show had like another just creature of the coal industry on and like it's funny. She even conceded that the smoke was fucking her up. But then she's like, but it's not an issue, right. It was like a very hot here, I'll play this moment because it's weird to see. Like even on Fox she was even copying to the factors like, I mean, yeah, it's kind of fucking me up, but it's all good.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 13: Ah there it is going back to the beginning of the show, right, the inevitable intersection of climate and race. If you don't agree with Bill, at some point, they are going to call you a white supremacist. Joining me now, Steve malloy, Senior legal fellow at the Energy and Environment Legal Institute and Trump Era Transition team member, Steve, No one's denying it is unpleasant. My eyes are pretty itchy and watery yesterday and a little bit today, and it might go on for a couple more days, but is this wholly out of the ordinary?
Speaker 9: I just like that.
Speaker 5: She starts off being like, yeah, man, that's fucking my eyes up pretty bad. You know, obviously maybe for the next couple of days, but this is fine, right, and the guy's like yeah, yeah, yeah, like he basically like it's totally normal. All right, thanks, Laura, I'm off, but yeah, it's uh. They got to do everything they can to just they have to be so nonchalant about the air quality in order to obscure the impacts of climate change because they can't cop They cannot There's no way they can acknowledge that the smoke is bad, because that would be an indirect way of saying this shit is actually bad that we're experiencing on the planet, like the situation around us is bad. They cannot ever ever admit that, so it has to always be oh man, they wearing masks as aocs, the snow, whatever the fuck it is, right, They're just putting so much energy into this shit. It's like, Laura, you even though, but okay, whatever, just mean stupid and hurt to her question, this is this really out of the ordinary? New York City recorded its worst ever air quality Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Ever when like this month, no no, no, yeah, yeah, usually ever just means this month in the history of New York a city that like we look at the pictures of New York in the past, it's just like, you know, but it's very hazy with air pollution and you know, covered in horseshit and not not the cleanest looking place in the world, like like you know, the little kids who are working the factories all have like black lung and this beat all that shit, you.
Speaker 5: Know, right, who are so now, who are you gonna blame in this in the smoke?
Speaker 1: Is it climate change? Or is it Canada? Because we're also seeing that, Oh.
Speaker 7: Yeah, blame But weren't they caused by like lightning?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, weather arrest the lightning. Yeah.
Speaker 7: You know, there's so many things.
Speaker 12: I'm gonna I think, I'm want to go with a climate change because that's what.
Speaker 7: That makes sense, and that's it's actually the truth.
Speaker 1: Alarmist.
Speaker 5: Alarmist is like, what's what's the big sort of like the closest thing that happens like in Austin or in your community that you're like, oh, that's climate change?
Speaker 1: And then other people like, no, that's this other thing.
Speaker 7: Oh god, I don't know.
Speaker 12: I feel like the well, I guess like all these crazy snowstorms we've had so which I saw is part of the paint with Barbey and yeah, like we get snowed, I think again in February and I lost my electricity for four days and then it's just yeah, like for four days. It wasn't as bad as like that twenty twenty one storm. But I mean, like it always snows here. I mean it's not like a pretty like you know, like New England snow. But yeah, it shouldn't. Yeah, we shouldn't be like freaking out just because of like there's ice on the road and then like everything like goes to hell. But it's also because of our grid that is your connected the rest of the country, which I did not know until that massive snow snow from twenty twenty one.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, and how like terribly privatized it basically.
Speaker 5: Is it's like avoid paying taxes.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, both problems caused by deregulating the energy industry, which has has worked beautifully. Over at Newsmax, we finally get a voice of reason on the right. The hosts are weirdly kind of horny for the smoke and also like, no big deal, MBD, think it kind of smells good. Yeah, darn smog here in New York City.
Speaker 11: Have you heard any cities on the East Coast primarily have this big like liket of orange smug right over the top of it. Our woe friends to the north in Canada, their forest fires got out of hand, and well, this is what we're dealing with. It's complicating some people's lives, but it's manageable.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you.
Speaker 11: It actually smells like wood smoke. It's not an unpleasant odor, to be honest. It's kind of weird when it seeps into the building, but outdoors, I can deal with it. Folks with respiratory issues, though, that's a that's a real thing, a real complication. The White House is trying to I like too this saying it's all he really did.
Speaker 5: He was like, hey, man, but if you got a respiratory issues, man, that might fuck you up.
Speaker 1: That must suck anyways.
Speaker 12: Moving along, fu seeping into the buildings, but that's fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's a little weird when you can like it smells like wood smoke.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because it's from a fucking forest fire. It's a it's a millions of wood smoke. Motherfucker, what are you talking?
Speaker 1: And he also goes on in that clip to say that it's pretty and beautiful. I think, yeah, so he's yeah, which, by the way, like he's next two images that look like they are like after a horrible like bombing in a in a war zone. Yeah, like yeah, but.
Speaker 12: This is the beautiful aura. Like I think it's great that he used the word aura.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is like calm aura over the city. I really like it.
Speaker 5: It's just it made this is wild that like if you're going like how far are we from? When they're like, oh this house that like this terrible fire that burned up half a city that was beautiful, that was great, you know what I mean, like to like excuse away these things that are so obvious in front of you, like it like, oh god, yeah, you do get the mental gymnastics. It's like, yeah, where we're headed with this ship, the glimpse of where we're headed, but also like of the the type of brain that like turns into an on air anchor, like because remember like that Brian Williams clip where it's like the beautiful majesty of our weapons like this, oh, watching like souls being launched right anyways, at the New York Times, I mean, they're obviously overall like they're not trying to claim the fires have nothing to do with climate change. The articles always mentioned that human induced climate change is the cause. Oh good, but the biggest article on the front page of their website at a time when everybody like this is the main question on I think a lot of Americans minds, specifically, like people in New York's minds. Is this like ap ed from somebody who's like in charge of fighting forest fires, and they're just like, we need to stop putting up with these dufices who start these fires. And then they're like, well, not these fires. Actually these fires were caused by lightning strikes, but a lot of the ones other fires are caused by people being careless. And so she talks about like how like when I look at like the devastation of these forest fires and these wildfires, I get so angry and then like really just goes in on at people. Bikers, Yeah, dirt bikers who like don't have the spark spark, yeah, spark suppression on their vehicles or whatever, and it's it's just like, yeah, get mad, like get mad at the system and the companies that you know, we're aware of this, didn't like paid for did research into this before the rest of the world knew it was going to be a problem.
Speaker 1: In the eighties, we're like at the forefront of the research. And then we're like, we're going to actually pretend it's not a thing and let you guys find out about it on your own. And you know, like that would be a great place to look to four consequences instead of the people who are doing the same things they were doing in the eighties and now it is causing Hey, they weren't doing gender reveals like this Jack in the Ages.
Speaker 10: That's true.
Speaker 1: That's true. So you know what, man, that's that's on them.
Speaker 5: I just love this shit that we're they're going the plastic straws route on climate change with these people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's on y'all. Need to stop this shit.
Speaker 5: You knock this shit off because it ain't the fucking massive place. It's not that it's y'all, okay, s The damn dirt bikes has nothing to do with my friends at Excellent Mobile.
Speaker 1: Nothing it's kind of smart because the main focus is like behave like these actions by people who are clearly not New York Times readers. Like New York Times readers aren't going out and like riding dirt bikes through the wilderness with sumptuous sparks shooting after them, or like one of the people who started one of the forest fires in la or in California was like a father and son who like went out shooting in the woods. Right, So it's like stuff that like obviously, I'm like, yeah, that'd be real easy to stop. And you know, it's really easy for everyone to look down upon who like isn't born into that culture obviously, but uh, it's and yeah, don't don't do that shit. I'm all for fire safety, but it does feel like a strategic effort to be to like put a singular individual out in front instead of you know, companies and decisions made a long time ago by these companies who are trying hard, as will show you in this paid sponsored news Blend article that we're about to publish and link off too at the end of this you know, yeah, it's so it's so yeah, whatever, I mean, this is what they have to do because it's like the people know, people ingest the writings and the posts of the New York Times, and so if you read that, then someone is more likely to go and have a conversation about that, which is like I read this thing in the New York Times that they actually said that, Like there's a lot of this could be prevented if people didn't have you know, gender reviewal parties in the woods or put spark suppressors on their dirt bikes, rather than if it was constantly saying it's these fucking companies. Yeah, they are the ones who are fucking murdering everybody. But because it's a quote company and we're treating this like amorphous thing because it generates capital that we can't somehow hold it responsible. So let's avoid that conversation and just move to the finger pointing to the dumb dums who like to shoot their guns off in the forest. Yeah, The New York Times is part of the that side of you know, they are a mouthpiece for the whole like democratic and like corporate entities and the enemy of Like their readers are hillbillies, so like you know, in their reader's mind, they're so let's blame Hillbilly's. Let's find a way to make this about, like, you know, hating mega people. Yeah yeah, it's urban versus grarian all over again. Yes exactly. Yeah, Tale's old as time, Tale as old as time. I think that's how the rest of that song went Urban versa grarian. I mean, Bell was very urbane. She wasn't urban, but she was like I read books, and you guys are idiots, and you do the same shit over and over every day, and I'm fucking tired of it. So meet my dog man boyfriend, and I'm into this guy.
Speaker 7: And I also got with my kidnapper.
Speaker 1: And not kidnapping, like, hey, but he gave me a nice dress.
Speaker 14: Yeah yeah, So I can't say the treatment's that bad being kidnapped by this man, but it's wild too, Like because along with that, like there's this sort of there's like this republican or conservative sort of worldview.
Speaker 5: Right, it's like so fatalistic about everything. That's why there's no point in trying to do anything about. It's like they're like, who cares about unhoused? Who cares about people being fucking slaughtered or living in apartheid state or child.
Speaker 1: I'm going to Heaven. I've been saved. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So On Fox and Friends earlier this week, host Rachel Campost Duffy aka to elder millennials, Rachel from the Real World San Francisco. Okay, that season with Pedro and Puck, if you remember that very I can't believe this. Oh yeah, Rachel count she was because she was the conservative on that Real World San Francisco crowd because she was from Arizona, and she was always like being like, what the fuck am I doing in San Francisco?
Speaker 7: What year was this?
Speaker 5: This was ninety one in the second season. Yeah, this is like, yeah, this.
Speaker 14: Was this was then, but I was one Okay, okay, credit to you, Credit to you.
Speaker 1: Well that you should have been watching. Yeah.
Speaker 7: I don't think they had a TV in Pakistan at that time.
Speaker 5: Okay, well they have it now, no huh so uh you might want to culture that.
Speaker 1: You need to go back anyway.
Speaker 5: And also she her last name is Duffy because she married a dude from Road Rules. Okay, that's like her anyway, and then she became this like maga conservative on TV. She wasn't talking directly about the fires earlier this week, but her words definitely again they portray this like fatalistic worldview that comes along with being like one of these Christian nashstionalists, the idea that you know, I don't give a fuck about Earth because Heaven.
Speaker 2: Sometimes, you know, we look at how hard on the left they play, They really play for keeps. They play in a way that's very you know a lot of times conservatives look at and go, why don't we play it as hardness? Nown well for them?
Speaker 1: Where we live right now.
Speaker 2: This place Earth is it so everything.
Speaker 7: On the line here for them.
Speaker 2: They think, as you said, they can perfect this earth. Those of us who have faith don't believe that. And we believe how we act here determines where we go after and so we had to behave and so even in politics we don't you know, we act within those moral limits and you know, the ends justify the means is sort of the rules for radicals, right.
Speaker 5: I'm so lost the way like it was such a contradiction upon like straw Man arguments that they too much there, so.
Speaker 1: That that's why they're so kind, that right, because because we believe what we do on earth term with fuck Earth, but what we do here determines it. That's why we want to pollute it to shit. We want to completely harass other people and villainize them, you know, not be kind or caring. I don't know what the.
Speaker 5: Golden rule is because I have not actually read the Bible, but I do like to use like I like to evoke the Bible for my.
Speaker 1: Own lack of morals, I guess.
Speaker 5: But yeah, that's where they are, these radicals. It's like the same way, Like this is kind of the worldview like in the Cold War, right, like people were like, well, the Soviets aren't going to blow the world up because they believe this is it.
Speaker 1: There's no afterlife, like we believe or whatever, you know what I mean. Like it's just a very weird thing. Like the enemy has no God. That's why they are here wanting to perfect the earth. And I'm sorry, that's a bad thing.
Speaker 5: We're trying to be good custodians of this fucking little planet that we're on for a brief fucking moment, and i'd most of us are not. I'd hope most of us would rather not be contributing to like some fucking system of oppression or pollution or degradation.
Speaker 1: Whatever. Yeah, And it's I mean it's acknowledging. Like it's actually a pretty interesting point because she's she's basically saying, like, we believe in evil and like are just like can't beat evil, so you just got to like kill it away, put it in prison, you know, like do all that stuff, because there's no fixing these people, you know, right, And that that is a like it's kind of a good window into how their minds work and how their worldview works and why they are really dangerous.
Speaker 5: The wild thing is the end of that quote where she said, where said the ends justify the means is sort of the rules for radicals that it got cut off. She continues by saying, that's not how Christians act.
Speaker 1: Oh really, well the whole Wow, how do we get here anyway? Don't worry about it? What's colonization at all? And whatever? Fine do you think do you think Rachel Campello's stuff, Well, we'd go to break. But we we do have to transition from that statement that you know, Christians are are kind and don't believe and ends justify the means to the passing of a man who embodied the opposite of that, Pat Robertson, just one of the worst people garbage. The only people who seem to be upset about his passing are people who mistakenly thought that Robert Pattinson had died no, which yeah, are there were there people who are like, I can't believe it, or they're like they that's a joke. He didn't die. It was trending on Twitter. It is like the the exact opposite Pat Robertson, Robert Pattinson.
Speaker 7: That's actually really funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, connected them. But yeah, Robin at Shadowcaster seventy eight said, my dyslexic ass thought this, said Robert Pattinson. Yeah, no, no, it's Patterson the bad Ones. It's pattern I mean Robertson. Robertson. Yeah, now you're doing it all right. So just a quick greatest hits of this piece of shit. So just one thing that makes him like he was still being followed by a lot of people up until the end, or like watched by a lot of people, sent money by a lot of people. He was constantly predicting apocalypses that never came, just throughout his life, Like in nineteen seventy six he said the world was going to end in nineteen eighty two, so he thought the rapture was going to come before Return of the Jedi ever came out. Nineteen ninety, he wrote a book claiming the world was going to end in two thousand and seven, just kept predicting the end of the world right up until twenty twenty, when he said that Trump was going to win the election oops, and an asteroid was going did destroy us all. So again just a I don't know, interesting insight into how the minds of the people who who follow him operate, which is I guess very forgiving. Well, if the world's going to end, then you know, all good?
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, then motivates you to be like, that's why I'm in this corner because the world about to end.
Speaker 1: Are you saved?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh wait, what happens? It just it's just silence after you pass away. And then he blamed horrific tragedies on things he just didn't like. So one week after nine eleven, he and Jerry Folwell got together to say that God had allowed the terrorists to succeed because the United States had become a nation of abortion, homosexuality, secular schools and courts, and the American Civil Liberties Union. So the ACLU was to blame for nine to eleven. Yeah. Yeah, Now, I mean he's always blamed.
Speaker 5: It's like women or gay people, or Muslims or anybody who is not a s white Christian.
Speaker 1: Like from there, it's like, oh yeah, the Haitians. You know why they had that earthquake is because they made a deal with the devil back when they fucking liberated themselves from slavery from the French.
Speaker 5: This man really said that shit. He said they got an earthquake because they made a deal with the devil to liberate themselves from slavery.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 5: And we've only seen we've talked about this time and again about how the Western world has just fucking like landed knockout blow after knockout blow on Haiti as like a response to them being like you are the you were going to be the first and last group of like subjugated people that will liberate themselves from colonizers and we're gonna make a fucking example out of you for centuries. Is that it's not they made a deal with the devil, that's that's yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He repeatedly attacked Muslims, Islam, and the prophet Muhammad throughout the years and called the religion a monumental scam. And then I just want to compare that with his charity work supporting Rwandan refugees in Ziere was actually a front for his blood diamond mining operation. Like there's there's a documentary. Oh my god, what that couldn't be the You couldn't script something more fucking evil than that. So, according to Jesse Potts, who served as operations manager for a organization that was helping people after the genocide in nineteen ninety four, the charity stopped sending medical teams to like one of the camps where refugees were being held several weeks into the operation. And then the film that put all this together alleges that these resources, the donations, the cargo planes, et cetera, were used for the for profit African Development Company Limited, a diamond mining operation that was headquartered in Kinshasa, while the mining site itself was located in a remote village nearby. Robertson was the sole shareholder and president of African Development Company Ltd.
Speaker 5: So rest for piss, you fucking loser. Yeah, fucking unbelievable. Yeah, And I mean like just like I remember he said something about how like Orlando Florida was gonna get hurricanes because Disneyland had like a gay like Pride Night in the nineties. Yeah, and it's like hurricanes hit fucking full Okay, yeah, go ahead, it's that too. It's that too, or like eight like that. People that with HIV or aids like HIV's they were they were transmitting it to straight people as like you have a conspiracy, that's all this, all these like this people like that. You know, this is I'm done. I'm done twenty.
Speaker 1: Eighteen segment on the seven hundred Club that he said the gay people have a secret ring that transmits HIV to unsuspecting people they shake hands with his and his co host was like really, and he said really really, it is that kind of the vicious stuff, which would be the equivalent of murder. And then the following year he warned warned that tals in Kenya could transmit EIDs.
Speaker 9: So he just oh.
Speaker 1: Constantly just churning complete.
Speaker 5: Yeah, anti blackness, anti type like just homophobia, whatever he needs to do.
Speaker 1: One time he said you shouldn't even adopt kids. Yeah, like that was he was like, had to take like that. He said, quote, you just never know what's been done. To a child before you get that child. Yeah, cool man.
Speaker 5: Okay, so you're so anyway, it's just anyway, thank god if you're out there for taking him or I'm saying, Satan, thank you for reclaiming him and taking him down with you.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you, Satan. Yeah, all right, let's take a quick break and we'll come back and talk about Captain America.
Speaker 9: We'll be right, all right, Hello, you go, Hugo.
Speaker 1: By what, gentlemen, I'm just gonna do this like I do every phone call, uh in a professional setting and open it up with.
Speaker 5: Oh man, So we're here with Hugo Bosk. I'll get the discord from the discord. Also, I'm guessed, like I've said before, I think when we've referenced your name from AKA, that you're referencing the bounty hunter. Correct I am, Yeah, Jack, you know all about Bosk.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 6: I mean, I wouldn't call myself a Bosque expert, but I definitely I'm a Star Wars fan for sure.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry I was.
Speaker 5: I was shaming our other Star Wars expert Jack just now asking a lot about now just learning.
Speaker 1: I'm like going through a crash course. But your your name when you did a AKA actually brought up like my my lack of knowledge of Star Wars and how I'm cramming to try to just keep up in my damn household. People don't know.
Speaker 5: What a trandoshan is. Jack, That's the thing. They look like the little lizard headed people. Anyway, all that to say, here we are our first zeit gang and like worker interview, what do we even calling this?
Speaker 1: Jack? Yeah, worker interview, Zite gang? I think? Is it those? I want to take a whiz y'all? Yeah? And you know, we we had some people who worked for certain We're gonna, you know, keep doing this segment. We had some people who like do all sorts of really like highbrow crazy stuff. But as it is, when I'm making my decision of where to order pizza, we gotta go Dominoes. You know, doesn't matter what's on off or elsewhere, we gotta go Dominoes first. But no, you go. You wrote in and basically said that being a Domino's pizza delivery is a fascinating angle to view the world from, and I'm just curious to hear more about that. Are what are some things that you are seeing as a pizza delivery guy.
Speaker 6: I mean, I think the most interesting thing about it is that you kind of get to experience almost every day sort of every level of American society in terms of class, in terms of workplace, in terms of age, demographic. Yeah, it's I mean, I feel like there are a lot of jobs, and I've had many of them where you you know, sit behind a desk all day or you stand behind a counter all day and you just interact with the people in front of you or around you. And this job is it's fascinating in that, you know, you interact with every level of the economic stratum, from people living on the street or in RVs all the way up to people living in multimillion dollar mansions and every point in between.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like, like do people in manage do their houses smell like shit?
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 6: Like, I will say one of the things I was very surprised by in the course of this job, because you know, when you are righting people's front doors, you get to see into at least the open area.
Speaker 10: Of a lot of people's homes right right.
Speaker 6: And one of the things I was genuinely most surprised by was that very wealthy people are just as filthy as everyone else, Okay, or at least in like the same proportion of like people who like don't take care of their homes versus people who do.
Speaker 5: Oh, right, because in your mind, you're like, this person who surely has this like this bit gigantic home must take pride in keeping it completely clean.
Speaker 6: Right, I would think if nothing, they could at least like afford to pay somebody to come around and take care of it. Sure, but I regularly deliver to multiple, like multimillion dollar homes that are just absolute stizes.
Speaker 10: Just I don't know if they're hoarders or.
Speaker 6: If they just have just been setting stuff down since they moved in there and never picked up anything since, Right.
Speaker 1: It's too big, the house is too big, They've got too much shit, they can't pick it all up. Yeah, I think they probably do hire people to pick it up, and it's just so like they're worse somehow. That's that's really incredible. Yeah, they just go right back to it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, especially with the way in which you know, houses are sort of the closest thing that most people have to uh away to retire in this country in terms of like homeownership being the one asset that you're supposed to like take really good care of so that eventually we're retired, you can sell it off. I don't know if it's if there's some sort of disconnect where they have so much wealth that they just don't have to think about it.
Speaker 1: That way, right, I feel like wealth like probably there's some shared mental thing with accumulating wealth and being a hoarder, right, Like you're accumulating an illogical, irrational, immoral amount of wealth. Maybe you're doing the same thing with object Oh Jack, some of these people are just unburdened themselves. That's right. Well, I just have to undershure what other stuff, like what other things do you see? Like what's the like, what's the wild shit that you see?
Speaker 5: Because I know obviously on top of again, like starting from a very foundational level, you're like you kind of see it all like doing doing what I do. But what are the parts that I think, you know, like in my mind, the concept of a like a pizza delivery person, I'm like, it's either starting off a porno or they witness like a robbery or something things like that. Are you are do you find yourself in situations like that? Or is that just me, is that mostly the movie Hollywood Brain I've seen.
Speaker 6: I mean, I've definitely seen some strange stuff out there, and also just people acting in extreme ways.
Speaker 10: Let's say, Uh, there.
Speaker 6: Are definitely some people who really don't take it well when you won't give them the thing that they want that you can't actually make.
Speaker 5: Right, Like, I feel like I see this all the time. Like I feel like people just since you know, twenty twenty and like all the lockdown are becoming more just rude to anyone. Yeah, any service capacity or like retail capacity, I'm guessing it's no, it's probably no different. Like does that bleed into even when you deliver, Like I feel like when someone brings the pizza, you're like, yeah, the pizza, and you also get other people like look what the fuck?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I will say there's definitely a different, like a very marked difference between people who come to pick up carry out versus people that you delivered to. Generally speaking, I've been delivering for like seven years now because the money is shockingly good for how easy of a.
Speaker 10: Job that it is when you go to people's doors.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think I've only ever had once had somebody was like upset when I got there, and it was because we were insanely busy when I was two and a half hours late with their food, which that is pretty reasonable to be upset about.
Speaker 1: That's got to be a tough But what did the tracker tell them?
Speaker 6: Well, okay, just to all in on a little secret with the Domino's tracker, it doesn't actually track anything.
Speaker 10: It's just a timer.
Speaker 1: We heard that, and that's why I didn't want to believe it. And the whole podcast has actually been building to this moment where we actually confirm this reveal, and I don't know what to do with myself at this point. So are the names random? Are the names at least true? Is Brian putting my pizza in the oven?
Speaker 6: They do use the real names, although it is like they are somewhat randomly assigning the like who is actually doing it might not be actually putting your pizza in.
Speaker 1: The other and all that? Right? How many? How many people like answer the door butt naked?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 6: So that was actually one of the things that I was genuinely shocked by with this job is the number of genitals that you end up seeing.
Speaker 1: Like for real, like for real, for real?
Speaker 10: Yeah, mostly dicks?
Speaker 1: What now, I know, I know, I've heard everything. Yeah, you wrote in your thing like more I've seen more dicks than you'd expect. And I assumed you meant people acting like dicks, not like penis dicks. It's actual penis dicks you're seeing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I just between when we did the little pre interview and now I had another incidental that it was a woman this time. Wow, but just somebody coming to the door and wearing a T shirt and nothing else and the T shirt wasn't long.
Speaker 1: Enough right with the So is that like freak? How frequent? Just real quick, like, how frequently is that happening?
Speaker 6: I mean, I've been doing this for about seven years now. I would say that I've had it happen at this point about two dozen times, so maybe like two to three times a year?
Speaker 9: Damn?
Speaker 1: So is it always on some like predatory shit? Like are people just trying to like flash you like that? Or are some people completely like out of sorts and like, oh shit, I.
Speaker 10: Got I have some theories about this part of it.
Speaker 6: I do think is that I live in a place where weed is legal, and you know, we we like to we like to blaze up, sure, And I think a lot of people are as part of their like day off ritual, you know, they blaze up. They maybe grab a shower and order a pizza, they throw on a shirt, and then they come to the door just like so blazed up that they're not thinking about.
Speaker 1: Oh so like you're looking at people like with eyes redder than the state of Arkansas.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, people with eyes red like stop.
Speaker 1: Signs right right right?
Speaker 5: Oh got it, because part of me is like that sucks, like if you're just also having to contend with just like fucking perverts who are like, eh.
Speaker 6: Yes, I mean I will say there the very first time that happened, it was a dude who just came to the door just fully nude.
Speaker 10: And in fairness to him, I mean, dude had a hammer.
Speaker 6: Like I also would not ever wear pants if I was back in the bag, I was packing like it was.
Speaker 10: It was addict.
Speaker 1: He was wielding a hammer.
Speaker 5: I know, fannas he did seem unhinged with a hammer, so I just kept him moving.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, somebody shows up with the door naked with a hammer, I'm not going to complete bat friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah right right right, But they don't, so they there's not a moment where they're like, oh my god, I'm so sorry and like run input because that's the thing. Like I've had like stress dreams, you know, the famous stress dream of like now you realize you're not wearing pants, I'm like a speech or something like. It seems like the sort of thing that could happen to someone as like in a quick moment of like not you know, being fully aware, but the second you see the person, it feels like you would immediately but but you're saying, they complete the whole transaction just pooh bearing it. Just Donald Duck, Yeah.
Speaker 10: Just Donald Duck in it.
Speaker 6: And yeah, I think it's a combination of like if people who literally aren't aware of the fact they're you know, showing junk andeople who I think maybe in a in a prior era, would have been exhibitionists or flashers. But as sort of our culture has become more automated and like less, you know, there are fewer third spaces in which to expose yourselves to people.
Speaker 1: This is proof we need community.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I hate to say it, but in a weird way, I really do think that it is. And so because we have so much more like so many more services where people are coming right to your door, the opportunity space for people to engage in that kind of I don't know if you would call it a fetish or just a sex crime, but I think that a lot of it is transferred to the the door people of the world, you know, delivery guys like me, or like your Amazon guy or what have you, or your Uber eats.
Speaker 10: You know, the guy who's dropping off your Starbucks. However they self identified.
Speaker 1: In every context. I'm always amazed by that, Like how many people have that impulse to show everybody their dick, Like when chat Roulette came online and like that was just all anybody was using it for. Oh yeah, so yeah, it is a crime like this ship I obviously shouldn't be doing unless you are unless you showed up to the dick show, right. Yeah. I don't think. Yeah, I don't think that's a consent thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I mean I always think too about I mean, you know, we have female drivers, and I always wonder, I, at least I've never heard from them that they're doing this, so to an extent, I almost wonder if the fact that they have like the tracker and they can see whose name it is right, determines whether they're doing that. This could all just be a hitchcocky and plot to drive me mad. I've conserved that. Yeah, but who would be a behind such a thing? Yeah, it does seem to happen enough that I'm like, something's up here, right this, this must happen to other people.
Speaker 1: Right, right, It can't just be me. What's I mean?
Speaker 5: Tell me like just sort of from you know, from doing this job. What is like kind of what what what's the ship that irks you the most about the work or about the what it means to you know, do the work you do, whether that's in the context of what like people who are interacting with you don't understand or even like the you know, the fucking business owners of you know, franchise don't even understand.
Speaker 6: Uh Well, part of it is that the franchisees are extremely cheap, extremely right wing people, and they don't believe in uh like updating or replacing equipment and other necessary tools in a timely manner. So it's always pulling teeth to get the things out of them that you need from them, sometimes months.
Speaker 1: Right, Like what are those like? So? What are those kinds of like those tools that you like that are I.
Speaker 6: Mean even just basic stuff like uniforms and like replacement kitchen tool stuff, getting things right.
Speaker 10: Wow, just just the most base.
Speaker 6: Off that you would think would be like part of being a responsible business owner.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 6: But I mean these are people who just like they live in like a compound way way outside of the city, you.
Speaker 1: Know, and like siphoning money from this.
Speaker 6: Right, and then they just have the managers that they send around to you know, make sure everything is basically running and collect the checks so to speak. Right, And I suspect that that this level of gentry for lack of a better term, that every like major city in town is full of these kinds of people, or rather it is its power structure is full of these kinds of people.
Speaker 1: Right. People are just like, ah, this is just passive money. I just get to sit back and not do this job in any way and make other people's lives miserable. But I'm insulated enough from it that, oh yes there was. I worked with somebody who's family were like the like in the top five franchise owners of Dominoes, and like, for the longest time, I was like, what do y'all do? But this that and theland like and like one of my other friends, like it's all Dominoes money, Like they have like seventy wretched or some obscene number of franchises that they just sort of like, yeah, and that's kind of where all the money comes from. And I didn't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like I failed to realize like those sort of mini like fiefdoms of like owning numerous franchises.
Speaker 1: That's wild. I'm also curious, like what are I think, you know, Jack, we were talking about like we kind of want to do overrated and underrated too. Yeah, like what's something that you like about your job or like a skill that your job kind of requires or has like given you access to.
Speaker 6: I mean, I will say the two most underrated things about the job. One is I get to listen to podcasts all day, and that is I'll be honest, It's part of the reason it's hard to leave that job, the idea of having to work in a place where I have to like just my own thoughts and just stand there doing whatever in my head all day instead of just getting to listen to podcasts all day and hand people food change for money that I don't know if I can go back, guys, but also, it definitely, And I've had prior jobs that sort of did this to a degree where I worked at a call center for comcasts many years ago. It just sort of forces you to be a level of social that I think a lot of people are no longer forced to be. Yeah, where insofar as you're social, it comes to this extremely mediated interaction where you're like worldway through like a sort of pre written conversation. Whereas, at least in the context of being a pizza guy, I mean, you know, the interactions you have often are fairly perfunctory, but there's still real in a way than any other job that I have, because people are always happy to see you. Yeah, nobody pissed off because their pizza has arrived, right, right, and so you do get to see sorry. I'm trying to think of like a way to articulate this.
Speaker 1: Is it like heartening, it's like life affirming in a way, or or is it.
Speaker 10: Just in a way I mean, it isn't. It isn't the sure the.
Speaker 6: Where when you asked before about like the thing that is most frust about the job, what came to mind was people who don't tip. Sure, as far as I concerned, our moral months.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, well yeah, the way this country operates like it's incumbent on on tipping.
Speaker 6: Right, you would think over time I would get more used to it and just eventually stop caring. But if anything, the longer I do the job, the more just every time, it just feels like a core betrayal of the social compact, right right, Yeah, I'd be wrong. I understand the history of tipping and that it was originally instituted for like racist reasons and stuff like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, after slavery. But yeah, but look at but here we are now, and now everybody suffers under that ship exactly exactly.
Speaker 6: And that's the thing is, at the end of the day, if you can afford to order your home, you can afford to tip. Right, it just just full stop it. It's like going to a restaurant or a bar and then not tipping your waiter or your bartender.
Speaker 10: Like it's just as rude.
Speaker 1: Sure, sorry, I put totally. I think it's any I see all the time people.
Speaker 5: Debate this though, like about like I'm not tipping, blah blah blah, and like do you understand like what the toll it would a take on your vehicle if you have it's your own car, and then that there's gas and these other there's It's not just like, well, that's what they get paid to do. There's all these other parts of a job that I think a lot of people don't understand or or really look at it very narrowly as to who does or does not, you know, deserve a tip, like in a given industry.
Speaker 6: I mean, I do think that there is an extent to especially if you don't take the time to pay attention to it. These sort of like logistics behind how everything works are sort of masked for most people, and so unless you really spend the time to look into it, you sort of end up with these very almost like magical thinking perceptions.
Speaker 10: Of the world.
Speaker 6: Like I based on interactions that I've had with customers, I think there is a substantial percentage of them who think that pizza just comes out of like a magical hole in the wall. Yeah, right, Like people will come in and ask for food and then we'll be like, Okay, it's gonna be like ten to fifteen minutes to make, and they'll be like, you don't have it ready, Like.
Speaker 1: The words just left your mouth, my dude. Yeah, but yeah, I think it's masked intentionally, right, Like that is more and more of the world that we're built into. Is that everything, like all the behind the scenes stuff like that's what Amazon puts behind a wall. That's what a lot a lot of these you know, food delivery services put behind a wall is. And I guess Domino's was at the at the forefront of that of just getting rid of any human interaction other like that quick transactional moment like that. That's what the people who build this system called friction, and they want to like create less friction. And it's like that's very bleak and also makes us all dumber.
Speaker 6: I think it's of a sell it, But to be honest, I think it's a form of oblique union busting, right that. Essentially, after the sort of the height of unionism in like the sixties and seventies, capital started to rearrange the actual physical terrain of how businesses are put together in order to prevent unions from arising. Like now factories are out in the middle of nowhere instead of in a city where they have like a set of third place of bars and stuff like that around them, where like people can get together after work and talk to their coworkers. Now, you know, if you work in a factory, yeah, you're out in the middle of nowhere. You live in a house that's out in the middle of nowhere that you drive thirty miles to and then you drive back to your house. Everyone is literally really atomized in a way.
Speaker 1: That exactly.
Speaker 6: I don't want to sound like conspiracy brain out it because I don't think that it's that. I do think that it's more like aggregate classes acting in their own interests, right, But the asymmetry of power, because they have so much more money and political access, allows them to rearrange that terrain, And I think that that's true with stuff like like that. Masking is just a side effect of that process. I think right that if you can't see the labor conditions, then you can't even build the awareness necessary to overcome them.
Speaker 1: That's right, Yeah, yeah, for sure. Why would I worry about this guy who just gets the pizza out of the hole in the wall down the street from me and brings it to me in a duffel bag, takes twenty minutes to get it from the hole in the wall to my mouth. The hell I always think about that. There's this anecdote that like London cab drivers have like this super powered part of their brain that you know, they have access to just like that. And now obviously we have GPS, but like, is there anything that you know better than you know people might expect based on what's the superpower?
Speaker 6: What you say, Yeah, I mean you definitely at least for your delivery area or mine. I suppose you do get like a perfect mental map after a while, to the point where people can just tell you where they're at. In a more general sense, you'd be like, oh, yeah, I know exactly where to find you, or you know all the little like tricks of oh, this building is impossible to park at, so here's where you have to go instead in order to get to them. And also you you sort of you see the insides of lots of places, and people just sort of freely give you the like access codes to their buildings or offices constantly, to the point I often think about how like if somebody wanted to, you know, be like a like a serial thief, become a pizza driver, Like people will just give you access to everything.
Speaker 10: It's wild.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, I guess like the sort of your defenses go down because they're like, well, they're only here to deliver the thing and not remember how to get into this bank building.
Speaker 10: Well not just like you.
Speaker 6: You almost get treated as like like background noise. Like I have definitely delivered to like business meetings where people are like discussing high level stuff and I am just not there as far as they're concerned, right, I am just like a like a like a Star Wars droid. It's just like putting pizzas on the table for them, and that can just be safely ignored.
Speaker 1: Right right, Ocean's eleven needs to hire a Domino's delivery driver to their crew. Domino's ca Burglar. That's just the new way that you infiltrate, like the Capitol, just like oh no, just going to the ray Burn building just with some pieces to Senator Schumer's office and then just like who listen to stuff?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, I genuinely wonder sometimes if any like clever foreign power has ever like gotten a guy into the Pentagon bye literally just waiting until they ordered a pizza and then intercepting that and sending their own guy in.
Speaker 10: Because I'm sure they.
Speaker 5: I've done that all the time where I've been like access controlled buildings, and like you can tell someone's getting like a delivery and you just open the door. You're like, yeah, yeah you can, you're drop something off, go ahead, And I'm never bett I'm.
Speaker 1: Like they, I don't know they had a shopping bag. It all seems upping up.
Speaker 5: But one thing I like to ask, right, because I'm a big fast food head and food head in general, it's actually two part question. Are the secret codes real at Dominoes?
Speaker 1: And are this? Is there a secret menu at Dominoes?
Speaker 6: I'll be honest, there aren't as far as I'm aware secret codes. If there are, nobody's revealed them to me. And I feel like I've been far and away the longest serving peace person at that store, So if there were, I feel like I would have found out about them.
Speaker 5: But do you know what I'm talking about, Like about like there's like these coupon codes.
Speaker 6: Oh well, I mean there are like codes that only we as employees can use that are just for us. But to be honest, I don't know if it varies from franchise to franchise, but the ones that bus not actually as good as the ones the customers crappier discuss.
Speaker 1: Right, right, they're like, what did we say? You go three pepperonis on there? That's it. Don't don't lose your ship.
Speaker 6: Now, insofar as the secret menu goes, there are definitely like combinations of food that we make for ourselves that are not on the menu. Yeah, okay, Like I do like what what I've called the heart Attack Special, which is the Wisconsin three cheese with salami.
Speaker 1: And onto something called the Wisconsin three Cheese Amazing.
Speaker 6: It's yeah, and you tucked the salami in under the cheese for the layering.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ol Papa John style. Yeah.
Speaker 6: And they just they just debuted that new loaded tot item a little while back, and we've been experimenting with mixing that with the chicken and doing like a thing where it's like the cheese blend and some bacon and then doing like a manual hob and Aro sauce drizzle and like some of the regular like hots of Barbie sauce combined with that for like a real like good sort of spicy savory.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 10: It's good stuff. So yeah, you can't really order it.
Speaker 6: And there's not like a way you can be like secretly ordering it off the menu, because a it would be crazy expensive and be with like the really good stuff that we make for ourselves. There it would take too long to make for a regular customer. It would take like twenty minutes because we're putting it through the oven multiple times.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, okay.
Speaker 6: One of the things I will you know, put out there to the listeners as like a good hack for our wings. Never let them put them through just once. Always make sure they put them through at least a second time. If you're willing to wait, well done, ask for them well done. What you like you asked for.
Speaker 1: It like that way, like oh good ques.
Speaker 6: So the thing is when you order well on, all we do is just like push it back in the oven like one like length of the tray back wings. You genuinely want to wait the extra ten minutes to like have them put it through a second time. If they're willing, allis they will not be. Just to warn you'd like, don't be surprised if you ask them, they're like, we're not going to do that.
Speaker 1: They're like, who the fuck told you that? Man?
Speaker 10: Yeah, there's a decent chance that's the response you will get.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: But but if they're cool about it, or if it's a slow day that day, ask them if they will put it through a second time for you, because then the wings actually come out closer to.
Speaker 10: I won't call them.
Speaker 1: Great, but yeah, I know what you mean, because yeah, then they're not when they're feel like slightly undercooked or not undercooked, like in terms like they're inedible.
Speaker 5: I'm like, these could get a little bit more of a cook on them, just for taste.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they did used to have an item which I desperately wish they would bring back, and I think they still have other franchises, a half dip maocolate cookie.
Speaker 10: Do they have that where you guys are at No?
Speaker 6: No, No, Yeah, that was that was one that I was a big fan of for a long time. You take one of those, throw it in the microwave for like ten seconds, and it just comes out just oh beautiful.
Speaker 1: I mean they should have I mean, they should have a unified menu with all the states that have legalized cannabis, you know, like, I think that just makes sense as a general business practice.
Speaker 6: I mean, all be honest, I am genuinely surprised that they haven't gone the route of Jack in the Box, where Jack in the Box just openly has It's like Munchy menu.
Speaker 10: Where it's just like listen, Stoners, we are here for you.
Speaker 6: We know where our business comes from, right right, right, And I feel like enough of Dominoes's business also comes from that same crowd. That it's wild to me that we haven't literally sort of just been like, hey, guys, we got something for you.
Speaker 1: Hey, yeah, look weed. You guys like weed? Right, we get it, we know, try this new one out. All right, that's gonna do it for this week's weekly Zeitgeist. Please, I can review the show if you like. The show means the world of Miles. He needs your validation.
Speaker 10: Folks.
Speaker 1: I hope you're having a great weekend and I will talk to you Monday. Bye.