Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by all State. Some people just know they could save hundreds on car insurance by checking all State first. Like you know, to check the date of the big game first before you accidentally buy tickets on your twentieth wedding anniversary and have to spend the next twenty years of your marriage making up for it. Yeah, checking first is smart, So check all State first for a quote that could save you hundreds. You're in good hands with all States Savings. Very terms apply All State Fire and Casualty Insurance Company and Affiliates, Northbrook, Illinois.
Speaker 2: Welcome. In episode one eighty What's Right with Nick Wright NFL Week three Reaction Show. We've got a ton to get to a Monday night football doubleheader. The Prince that was promised is still promised, but as Demanse said, he's not been very profitable. We'll get to that. The most dumbant and half in the NFL all season was played this weekend, and it was not in the game where a team scored seventy points. We'll get to that, but first before we even bring in demons, here's.
Speaker 3: What missed the cut.
Speaker 2: Derek Carr week to week with a shoulder injury. That's not on today's show. Meghan Rapino plays her final game for the US women's national team. That is, she is an international legend in an American legend and Coach Prime and Colorado get blown out by Oregon, and oh boy, it doesn't get any easier as Caleb Williams heads to Boulder this Saturday afternoon and is gonna hang sixty on them. Listen. I like Coach Prime, I like the story of the Buffalos, but USC is gonna roll them over Demonse real quick. And I know tomorrow Thursday's the Gambling Show. You can't blame Trevor for your teaser dying when wasn't a leg of it the Baltimore Ravens And didn't they lose outright?
Speaker 3: The Ravens played the Bolts and the Jags played the Texans.
Speaker 2: I get that, But even if Trevor had taken care of business, wouldn't your teaser have still lost? I feel like you're lashing out at Trevor and by the track see me when?
Speaker 3: But C J. Strouds clearly that guy. I give him the benefit of the doubt at this point. Wow, but wow, dude, you don't have to you guys, don't have to tell me I will not be including the Jags in any more bets. Uh no, no need to put a ban on it. It's done.
Speaker 2: Can I just ask you a quick question before we get into the show. Did you make more than one wager this weekend?
Speaker 3: No, that was the other one.
Speaker 2: It was just the one. Was the regular size or did you go a little harder because you won last week?
Speaker 3: No, it was about the regular size.
Speaker 2: I mean about okay, so maybe a touch or maybe a touch? You go ahead, You just seem.
Speaker 3: I was I mean, I was just blindsided by this. I expected these guys go out there and take care of business. But hey, the Ravens didn't either. But at least they took the game to overtime. Man. But hey, dude, yeah it is.
Speaker 2: That is true because you teased the Ravens game and you only needed them essentially to win. Outright, that bet was a line in it. In it, But now flip side galaxy brain it. Before we get to Monday Night football, imagine if Trevor had taken care of business and that was an easy win. How excruciating watching the Ravens miss a sixty yardfield goal that looked like it was good, then get the ball in overtime, not get the call going their favor. How it would have been so much more painful. Instead, the Jags just killed you pretty quickly and easily, painlessly, just shot to the back of the head. You're like, all right, there's a loss, So the bright side, right, didn't let the Ravens tear your heart out?
Speaker 3: No? If that's fair, that's fair.
Speaker 2: All right, let's get to Monday night football. What are we starting with?
Speaker 3: All right? So Joe Burrow played through his calf injury and barely beat the Rams. He said the risk of reinjury wasn't greater than the risk of going zero to three. So now the Bengals go to Tennessee in Arizona. Whether it'll be favorite in both games? Are Joe Burrow and the Bengals back?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I don't, not at all.
Speaker 2: They look back to anybody yesterday. I mean, listen, I don't blame Joe for this, but he can't throw the ball down the field because of his injury. He can't roll out of the pocket because of his injury. He can barely protect himself because of his injury. And this is why I think the Bengals are making a massive mistake. I think they could have won yesterday without Joe Burrow. I understand he threw the ball like fifty times, but and again I am not taking a shot at him. He is an injured player. And there's only one Patrick Mahomes. There's only one guy that, even on one leg, is still the best quarterback in football. Listen, It's just true, and so any other player would be And maybe Mahomes with a calf injury as opposed to a half broken ankle, would have been compromised. I have my doubts, but everybody else is going to be compromised. Joe shouldn't have been out there. And not only did you put him out there, but in a game where the Rams cannot move the ball, you asked Joe Burrow to drop back. He dropped back fifty four times, forty nine pass attempts, sacked twice, ran the ball three times. That's fifty four dropbacks. And the reason I think this is foolish is because if your goal is the Super Bowl in since which it clearly is, the only way to reach that goal is to have Joe Burrow be healthy at the end, and by playing him right now, I think you're almost guaranteeing this calf issue is going to linger all year long, potentially get worse. And now you might say, well, what good is he healthy if we miss the playoffs? Understand, but when you have the Rams, the Titans, and the Cardinals and then they have I think then they have a tough game and then the bye, it's Rams, Titans, Cardinals, then home for the Seahawks and then a bye. You could have asked Jake Browning and the rest of your team, can they get you to two and two through these four and then be two and four and alive with a healthy Joe Burrow? They win in another direction and the guy's throwing the ball four yards past the line of scrimmage on average. I just don't think it's a sustainable model. I worry for Joe. Everybody is talking about, oh my goodness, he could. You know, a calf can lead to an achilles, and that's true, but set that aside, demons. You know what a calf injury can lead to in the NFL A broken colares, yeah, but a broken collar bone. You know why, because you can't escape and somebody can get hit exactly like everybody's talking about the achilles because Rogers had the calf strain popped his achilles. Durant had a calf strain popped his achilles. I get that, but the idea that that's the only injury it can lead to disregards the fact that this is a contact sport in the exactly in the NBA, all you really worry about with the that a calf will turn into an achilles. But in the NFL, a calf can turn into a separated shoulder. A calf can turn into anything because Aaron Donald and next week Jeffrey Simmons are bearing down on you and throwing you to the ground. And so I listen Joe Burrow. I know there's this like Bengals Chiefs rivalry, and so people think I'm anti Bengals. I am not anti Joe Burrow. Joe Burrow has always conducted himself awesome. He's been a clutch player, He's been great. I think he's super cool. I like the way he carries him all of that, and I think what's I think right now is an example of the team needing to protect him from himself. And I don't think he is the gap between Joe Burrow and Jake Browning. Browning was a really good college player who's thrown one pass in the NFL, so I have no idea if he's gonna, you know, even be a league average backup. The gap between Burrow and Browning is me but the gap between this version of Joe Burrow and Browning might not be. And I I just think Cincinnati is doing the wrong thing here in a week where we saw Gardner Minshew come in and beat the Ravens, where we saw Andy Dalton come in and play fine, where we saw Jameis Winston come in off the bench and lead a drive that put him in field goal range. They ended up losing, but let a drive that put them in field goal range. Like, I just I think it's a mistake.
Speaker 3: All right, Next, all right, Philly is three and oh after dominating Baker in the Bucks reality set in Baker Mayfield's not going seventeen and oh, I.
Speaker 2: Don't think anybody thought he was going seventeen And oh.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, you didn't think that.
Speaker 2: No, I like Baker, I didn't think he was going undefeated. I did think they could win last night. I was wrong on that, But.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, that's what she thought. All right, Well, meanwhile, Dallas got smoked by Arizona and dak keeps having melow downs. Do you regret picking the Dallas Cowboys to get past his Philly team in the NFC East.
Speaker 2: No, I don't. I still think Dallas wins the division. Now, Week three was obviously a disaster for Dallas, and we'll talk about Filly in a moment. Dallas, I'm not excusing how the defense played, but I understand how the defense played because I do think there is a real emotional toll taken by Trayvon Diggs popping his achilles in a practice late in the week that can have a real effect on that team for ninety six hours in a way that the defense is not what you expected it to be. So I can deal with that part of Dallas. The part of Dallas that is inexcusable is the fact that in this game, they moved the ball, They had over four hundred yards of offense, They got in the red zone five times, and they scored sixteen points. That is the most red zone that no team in the last two years has gotten in the red zone five or more times and scored fewer than Dallas's sixteen points in the second half. They had trips that ended on the eight, the four, the eight, and the six yard line and came away with six points. That's pathetic. So that and so Dak needed to be better, McCarthy needed to be better, Pollard needed to be better. That's pathetic. The Eagles, on the other hand, last night, I give them credit man that their fronts, they might have the best offensive line in football and they might once again have the best defensive line in football. And the fact that they got Jalen Carter, they made the Super Bowl, and they got the guys who a lot of people thought was the single best player in the draft because he fell because of off field concerns, to put it mildly, and then the Bears are sitting there at nine. They trade back a spot and let the Eagles jump up and get Jalen Carter. Is a kind of insult to injury for Bears fans who are having a terrible season. With all that said about Philadelphia their fronts, I still have major questions about their ability to defend the downfield passing game. Baker could not take advantage of it in the rain, with Mike Evans dropping balls and Baker not having a good night, and Jalen Hurts is not playing well. The team's playing fine, Jalen is not playing well. Jalen on the year, three picks, three touchdowns. He is not as big as dynamic of a rusher he was last year. He's got an eighty four passer rating and teams are kind of daring him to throw the football. And even last night where he finally had a big yardage game two seventy seven, his first game all year throwing more than two hundred yards, he got picked off twice. He completed, you know, like fifty eight percent of his passes, and there was some sloppiness there. So I do have I do think that the Cowboys obviously looked terrible this weekend and there's no denying that, and the Eagles just got kind of a gritty win. But I am not ready to pencil the Eagles back in the super Bowl. With that said again, that the fact that they were able to get Jalen Carter go to the Super Bowl and get a guy that a lot of people thought was the single best player in the draft is an all time coup. It's an all time coup by them that will pay dividends for years and years. One other thing about the Eagles, And this isn't really about the Eagles. It's about the NFL. I said it six months ago, I'll say it again. I will eventually be proven right that tush push play is a blight on the league. It's bad for the sport. It should not be allowed. It is I'm listen, here's the question. It's terrible, and the question I would ask everyone that says, oh, just get better, get tougher, get stronger, learn to stop it. Let me ask this question. If Philadelphia perfected it to a degree where instead of being a guaranteed one or two yards, it was a guaranteed four or five yards, would the NFL outlaw And the answer is yes, Why because it would ruin the sport because it would change it would if they could, if they could get four or five yards on that every single play, it would be the only play they would run, and it would ruin the watchability of the NFL. At the end of the day, pro football is the entertainment business. You have the ugliest play in the sport that is actually a play from another sport. It is a rugby play, It is a first cousin of a baseball team signing a two foot twelve or ten inch tall guy to go up to bat because he has no strike zone and he would get an instant walk.
Speaker 3: Like that said, why why are the Eagles the only team doing this? Why haven't other team started doing this as well?
Speaker 2: Because the Eagles have the best center in the league, and they have they have the means to do it. But other teams there's another reason they get there. There's another reason. I think they are foolishly putting their quarterback at risk of injury in a way a lot of other teams are not comfortable. I And every time you see that play and it's eleven guys on the defense trying to attack Jalen Hurts, knowing what he's gonna do, and then three of his own teammates pushing him from the back, it is to me a very risky play. But more importantly, it's an ugly play and the NFL eventually will ban it. They will and if they got too good at it, like the only reason it was not banned last year is because they have not gotten good enough at it. If they could get four yards on it with the consistency, then get a yard and a half. It would be the only play they ran. And I'm gonna say one other thing that people are gonna say is crazy, but I believe it. I bet Jalen Hurts doesn't like it, Demonse, not only not only because it can be painful, but it's a little it's not it's not embarrassing because he's it's his strength that but it is. It's there is an element of like, this is what we gotta do. It's like there's an element of like spamming the same play call in Madden, like, oh, you found a little loophole and you're just gonna go, go go. I don't know, I am. What I do know is this It is not going to be in the league five years from now. It might not be in the league six months from now. I'm very surprised the Competition Committee didn't eliminate it this offseason and again they once upon a time, go ahead.
Speaker 3: I think they're doing it in the Super Bowl. Like there's it's a long way from getting from getting banned.
Speaker 2: It's like if they allow they talked about I mean they talked about it this offseason. They left it. But it's very simple to ban, which is just say you can't push the ball carrier. They already have a rule that you can't pull the ball carrier. That's a rule on the books. You can't get in front of the ball carrier and pull him if you're on offense. And they once upon a time they had a rule saying you can't push him.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: The fact that they're not bringing that back is very surprising to me. All right.
Speaker 3: Next, they also went thirty seven for forty one doing that last year, by the way.
Speaker 2: And this year this year they're six of seven and the only one they didn't get either a first down or a touchdown was when the most the reason I'm talking about this is the one they failed yesterday was because, yes, not the fake, but the one they did yesterday. They had a third and two and a half, and they did it with no intent of picking up the first down there, but with the belief we're gonna do it, we're gonna get our yard yard and a half and then we're gonna do it again. And that's what they did. It was I mean, it's just it's just not pleasant football to watch, all right.
Speaker 3: Next, all right, Miami dropped seventy on the Broncos and probably could have scored a lot more. If we're being honest. They did all this without Jalen Waddle. Are the Dolphins now the biggest threats to your chiefs? To repeat they are? I'll answer that question for you.
Speaker 2: I need listen. I think the Dolphins. Everyone's very, very high on the Dolphins this week. Demon's a Dolphins are This is not my opinion. The Dolphins are in Buffalo this week. What do you think the line is?
Speaker 3: Dolphins, They're in Buffalo, They're in Buffalo. Uh, Bill's minus two and a half.
Speaker 2: Nailed it, great job, got it to the exactly so. The reason I end so, the reason I bring that up is the idea that the Dolphins have separated themselves from the entire NFL I think is inaccurate. Right, if there's still a team, If they're playing Buffalo, who's really really good obviously, and it's like, okay, Buffalo gets almost the typical home field advantage, then Vegas does not yet fully buy in. Go ahead, you want to say something. You seem to have fully bought in on Miami.
Speaker 3: Go Ahead, definitely bought in on Miami. But what I will say is I think that it'll I think by the end of the year. I think the Broncos kind of came into this year with a little bit of juice and like people thought that they were a little bit better than they are, and the defense has obviously been the only thing that they've had going for them. But I think at the end of the year, we'll find out that the Broncos were like a really, really bad team. And I also think that at the end of the year that if TUIs stays healthy, they we're going to find that the Dolphins are probably one of the two best teams in the NFL. So it'll just make more sense why that score makes.
Speaker 2: More since that listen, I think that's I think that analysis is mostly correct, and now seventy is still seventy, But allowing a team to run for three point fifty is more to find If you're the Denver Broncos, they appeared to get They allowed seven hundred and twenty yards of Dolphins that I've never seen and my and I let's just remove the Tua injury part from this part of the discussion. I so let's just say he's going to be healthy all year. I there, this is the reason that when everybody was high on the Jets and some were still high on the Bills. I picked Miami to win this division. Miami Vic Fangio is gonna try to get that defense right. They should have Jalen Ramsey hopefully back by the end of the year. And they have the six fastest runs in the NFL all year, the sixth fastest by next Gen Stats plays a guy with the ball in his hands for all teams all year, they are all Miami Dolphins. Three by Tyreek Hill, two by Moster, one by a chain I believe is what it is. But the six fastest tracked guys with the ball in their hands are six different Miami Dolphin plays. The speed is unbelievable. McDaniel is a genius, all right, I give them all that credit. Do Now I'm gonna sound like the old football guy. Sorry. Do I have a little concern about how this looks in the cold, in bad weather in the playoffs? Yeah? I do. You build a team based on raw speed. We have seen that work before. But the teams that we have seen at work for typically are dome teams, and the idea is we're gonna get home field, We're gonna play in controlled environments and we're gonna make a track meet the greatest show on turf, The Rams with Kurt Warner, the Colts with Peyton, the Vikings with Moss. The Falcons attempted this a couple of times. It is now. Miami has great weather obviously almost year round. But as I mentioned, they are, you know, they're underdogs this week in Buffalo. So in order the in order for me to truly believe that the Dolphins can keep this going for six months, I think they really really need to continue rolling in the regular season to try to make the playoffs go through Miami. The playoffs don't go through Miami, And all of a sudden they are like, I am curious. You know, I don't believe in the Browns for instance, Okay, you know that, but that defense has been the best in the league, the best in the league. I'm curious how this how this Miami team would look in January in Cleveland in that type of environment, Like I really am, and so I am not. I'm not throwing shade. I also want to know how good this defense is because they've played one good quarterback and he moved the ball at will until that final drive in Herbert, they had thirty four score thirty four points. Then you played Mac Jones, who stinks. Then you played Russell Wilson, who's not as bad as last year but still not very good. And so I am not ready to anoint them. But seventy points is seventy points now, amazingly despite scoring seventy I mean, you know, the most lopsided half of football this weekend was the Chiefs thirty four to nothing over the Chicago Bears. But we can keep going. What are the follow ups? Here?
Speaker 3: Bears the worst team in the NFL. But that must be's true? Ye, in your opinion, do you think two is officially more than a system quarterback or do we owe all of this to coach McDaniels also actually.
Speaker 2: All of it, but both of them, I mean, let me answer that quickly. I think it's both. I think he is a system quarterback, but he is playing this system as well as anyone could play it. No one right now. You can't argue right now, through three weeks that, oh, if the Dolphins had someone else, they'd be substantially better. Now win teams adjust, and I'm I'm waiting for the team that is going to do what we saw the I think it was the Chargers and someone else. Maybe they're not back. Not start up on the receiver, start up.
Speaker 3: Okay, so what the.
Speaker 2: Idea there is, Well, and we're gonna risk getting beat deep, but what we're gonna do is jam your receivers, throw off your timing a bit, and make to a hold onto the ball a little bit longer and then listen. The reason teams aren't doing that is they're so terrified of Tyreek or Waddle. Waddle wasn't even there this week of beating them off the line, and it's an easy touchdown. But they're just killing you eighteen yards at a time anyway. And two has only been sacked once all year. He's getting the ball out like that. You can't you can't just let them dice you up like this. So I'm very curious, and I wonder what Buffalo looks like against them, because the Buffalo Bills, to their credit, their front has looked awesome this whole season, and not just in this winning street. That defensive front has looked great. That's to me the game of the week. All right, what's the other follow up?
Speaker 3: On TV? You said the TUIs should reopen its contract negotiations because you see a mid season holdout.
Speaker 2: So I couldn't see it, but this is what I believe. So Tua was in the same draft class as Joe Burrow who got paid, as Justin Herbert, who got paid. The Dolphins were in a negotiation with him this offseason. It didn't get finished, and Chris Greer, their GM, has said, we're gonna table it till the end of the year. Okay, what do we also know? Demon's a that is a quick reminder for the audience. Since drafting Tua, the Miami Dolphins have tried to acquire Tom Brady to replace him, had a trade in place for Deshaun Watson to replace him. They were connected to Russell Wilson and briefly connected Daron Rodgers. And the Rogers thing was this offseason four times they've tried to replace him. The might let me let me throw something else out there. Let's say the Dolphins and Tua had not broken off negotiations and they were working on a deal headed into this past week's game against Denver, and they were close. It's like, okay, we you know, we need to work out some finer points, but we have the broad parameters agreed to right and in that but they haven't signed anything, and in that game Tua suffers another concussion. Would the Dolphins then stop the negotiations. The answer is of course they would. They'd say, you know, it's sorry, but it's too risky. Okay. Given all of that, would it not be totally reasonable for Tua to walk into their office and say I want my contract, and I want it before Sunday at one o'clock. And don't say I'm blowing this thing up. You guys would be blowing this thing up. You spent the fifth overall pick on me. I've been a perfect citizen. I have dealt with a coach in Flores who didn't believe in me. I've done everything right. Nine months ago I thought my career might be over. I now just hung seventy seventy points on a team people think we can win the Super Bowl. I want real lifetime financial security, and if you don't give it to him, we're going to have a problem here. It would be totally reasonable, It would be totally understandable. And I don't think he's going to do it. I think if I were close with do it now, I might tell him Hey, if you do this, you're not gonna get a record breaking contract. You're gonna sacrifice some of the contractual upside. You're not gonna beat Burrow or Herbert. But could he go to them and say, I want, you know, I'll be reasonable call it four years and instead of fifty five million a year, like guys are getting forty eight million a year with half of it guaranteed, one hundred million fully guaranteed at signing just under fifty million a year, I want it locked in. That would be reasonable. And if you know, if I were close with Dua, that's the advice I would give him personally.
Speaker 3: All right, Next, that's fair? All right? The Broncos are all three and are somehow favored against the Bears. Is Denver the biggest flop in the league? Or should more criticism go to a team like the Jets or the Vikings or Jacksonville or Jacksonville?
Speaker 2: All right, Well, Jacksonville's really disappointing. The Jacksonville is the only team on this list that I thought could be really good, and they allow a kick return touchdown to a damn full back. The defense has been pathetic. Trevor's been fine, but not great, which is disappointing. Now, Jacksonville obviously has a bit of a history of slow starts, and I'm not abandoning them, but they have been the most disappointing for me. The Vikings, we knew these close game chickens were coming home to roost oh and three sucks. But you go eleven to zero one score games last year headed into the playoffs, and then you lose a playoff game by one score in your first three games of the year by one score. That's that old variance coming, you know, regression to the mean if you will coming back into play that. The Jets and Broncos, the hype never made sense. And I know everyone's like, oh, with the Jets, it's just because of rogers injury, they're left tackles on ir Now Dwayne Brown. That would have happened with or without Rogers. Their whole plan for if Rogers got dinged was that Zach Wilson was gonna be better through some version of quarterbacking osmosis, where he was gonna get better just by being around Aaron Rodgers, which is about the same logic of I have a huge chemistry test in the morning, I'm gonna put my textbook under my pillow before I go to sleep, and hope the knowledge seeps into my brain. That's not how this works, guys. And there the whole offseason plan of just hiring Aaron Rodgers friends, whether it's your offensive coordinator Lazard Cobb, bringing in Tim Boyle as your backup quarterback, all of it. It's never made any sense. And the Jets, in my opinion, are getting to a degree what they kind of deserve. Here, go ahead, What were you about to say to them?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean you know that they're not just saying just by being around him or I'm just standing around, like obviously they're having conversations, they're probably going through drills. Rogers has probably giving him his little little life hacks that come on the football whatever you want. I mean, it's it's not. But I was just speaking out because you know, like you're making it seem like, oh, just by standing here. But yeah, I get it.
Speaker 2: They thought being around Aaron was gonna make him better. He's been terrible, and I want to say something about Tim Boyle. So Tim Boyle, So here's the other thing, and put demons back on the screen, if you will, because I wanted to do. Monse's real time reaction to this. So Aaron Rodgers right there. They went into the season with a quarterback depth chart of Rogers awesome but thirty nine years old, coming off an injury, in the worst year of his career, with the biggest question mark of the team being offensive line. Then Zach Wilson statistically speaking objectively one of the worst quarterbacks ever. And then Tim Boyle. Okay, I then Rogers gets hurt and they do not add another quarterback. Think about how many teams this year have The Patriots just added Will Greer, how many quarterback moves there have been? The Packers had Aaron Rodgers go down, They've added no quarterbacks. Okay, so we know how bad Zach is, so why is he still playing? So Tim Boyle has been in this league since twenty nineteen, twenty eighteen. He's thrown one hundred and six passes. Somehow of those one hundred and six passes, eight of them have been intercepted. That seems outgeous, but it's true. That's not the part of that I wanted your reaction to, because this is really does show you anything as possible, make the right relationships, get along with the right people, you can be in this league for six years. Demanse Tim Boyle played college football at the FBS, the top level, for three years at Yukon. He then transferred to Eastern Kentucky, a lower tier school.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: At Yukon, Demanse Tim Boyle played again three years in his career of top level college football. I swear to you he had one touchdown. Now you might say you might. Let's say, well, hold on, how much did he play? Was he just a backup? Demanse, You not. Tim Boyle's career at Yukon three years of playing, he had one touchdown and thirteen interceptions. Guys in the NFL. That's true story. He then went to Eastern Kentucky. Good, No, the team was terrible. He went to Eastern Kentucky, a FCS school, started the whole year and had eleven touchdowns and thirteen picks. This guy's been in the NFL for six years. You might say, why is he in the Jets quarterback room? The same reason Nat Hackett's there because he's rogers buddy, because he reportedly went on that Ayahuasca trip with Rogers. It's just no way to run a team. So you got it. You keep trotting Zach Wilson out there. You spent the number two overall pick on him. You don't want to admit he's terrible. You can't bench him because Tim Boyle couldn't figure out the defenses at Yukon or much less in the NFL. You're just rude. And then there's the Broncos who just allowed seventy points and the head coach who said that that Nat Hackett had the worst coaching job of all time is out there openly rebelling against Russell Wilson. Russell Wilson was in the game down seventy to twenty throwing passes. I mean, it's just I mean, justin disaster all speaks ahead.
Speaker 3: Speaking of the Broncos. Actually, yeah, Sean Payton, I think has just kind of brought brought the microscope on everything. You know, made this the coaching job heard around the world. Like you go out there and you say Nat Hackett has done the worst job in history. Then you go out there and you kick the on side kick the very first play of the season, and it's like it's he's just plagued the team he's played. I think he's doing a lot more damage than anything anybody else on the team.
Speaker 2: Well, here's the thing. He certainly put a bullseye on his back when he didn't need to for it was just us an all time gaff. All right, last one.
Speaker 3: After you said Deshaun Watson would never be good again, he had his best game in years. Did you write him off a little too soon?
Speaker 2: Okay, So this is I added this to the show because of something I want to say here. First of all, the Browns defense has been phenomenal, absolutely phenomenal. Now they haven't played the greatest collection of quarterbacks. I understand that they played Burrow in Week one, but Burrow was obviously hurt. Week two they played Kenny Pickett and they lose, but they lose because they allowed two defensive touchdowns. And Week three they play Ryan Tannehill. They have they have allowed one touchdown all year that Brown's defense. Credit to them and Deshaun despite the fact he had maybe the single worst play in the NFL all season in Week three when he was getting sacked and just threw the ball backwards inexplicably, he played the best game he's played in years. The best game he's played is a Brown So credit to him. The reason I wanted to mention the Browns here is because I want to say something to the general public. You can root for whoever you want. Teams, your team, got it, no problem, Love the art, hate the artist, all that stuff. The amount of people that are caping in my Twitter mentions for Deshaun Watson and not recognizing how that makes them look is baffling to me. I get it if you're like, you know what, I'm a diehard Browns fan. We're in a rough spot, but this is my team. I want us to do well. I don't don't even judge you for that at all. I get that sports can bring some odd moral quandaries at times, understand all that. But the amount of people led by the way oddly by a guy I like a lot fringe Hall of Famer Josh Cribbs, former Brown's legend, that are like, oh, Deshawn's really showing you like maybe maybe you know, maybe like man that defense kicks ass man. We sure rallied, you know one one for Nick Chubb, but it's just an odd guy to lionize, especially because I still don't think he's any good.
Speaker 3: But even you bring your guy bronze on his team, by the way.
Speaker 2: I don't love that. I know that is the and I think it's a bad look for him. I think it's a bad look like you can root for the team and not be caping for to show on and I listen, you feel very strongly about that. I I how do I agree with you while also understanding it. The potential unintended consequences of if someone is never actually even charged, much less convicted of a crime, banishing them from the league could have long term real you know what I mean, the butterfly effect and unintended consequences of that could be super problematic in this specific instance. I agree with you, but I understand why for the NFL that's not a tenable thing because there were never any legal charges and it certainly there wasn't any conviction. But I just but set that part aside. I just it's a weird guy to be, like, I'm to send this tweet, tell him this guy lead plant like, I don't know, Yeah, yeah, he showed I don't get that at all, all right. I said, we had to go fascinate because there's gonna be construction outside Demontigs studio, and saving did a forty five minute a block, take a quick break, come right back. What's Right?
Speaker 4: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg. Evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jirelle Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Pania, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: Welcome back in episode one to eighty of What's Right with Nick Right In. This episode of What's Right is brought to you by the McDonald's app. How many times you've been in that situation where you've had a really long day and you're really hungry, but the last thing you want to do is cook a meal, or leave your house or to go pick something up. I've been in this situation literally hundreds of times, and you know what I often do and what my saving grace has been The McDelivery option in the McDonald's app. We're talking about getting McDonald's delivered right to your door. And now every time you order McDelivery in the McDonald's app, it earns you points towards free food. And who doesn't like free food? I love their breakfast menu. My all time favorite menu item is still the Big Macs. I know it is for many of you. There's always a reason to order in the McDonald's app. Download the McDonald's app today. At participating McDonald's delivery prices maybe higher than at restaurants. Delivery and other fees may apply. Copyright twenty twenty three, McDonald's. All right, welcome back. In Demon's eight, we were on a time crunch here. I've got to go do the Herd with Colin and then got the show. I think there's massive construction scheduled right outside your window, so we gotta keep going. So let's go to our game. All in her fold, Go ahead.
Speaker 3: All in her fold? All right, So apparently Travis Kelcey or not Travis Kelsey Taylor Swift was at the Chiefs game this weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, apparently undercovered story yep.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, Well, so my question for you, is is Kelsey officially a bigger celebrity than Mahomes.
Speaker 2: No, not yet, but if he and Taylor Swift were to become a serious long term item, he could be. I do think he is now. I do now think though that the two. I think the biggest celebrity in the NFL is Patrick Mahomes now that Tom Brady's retired, and I think the second is Travis Kelcey. I think Travis Kelcey is a bigger celebrity than any other quarterback now. I also everybody is saying like, oh, if you're trying to find a negative, like, could this be a distraction? Could this be bad for the Chiefs? I look at it differently. I'm gonna make you laugh here, but this is maybe maybe this is the twisted version of my brain what I first thought of. Does this actually help the Chiefs with the Chris Jones negotiation? Can Travis be like, listen, there's pros and cons here, buddy, Like, yeah, I take a little less, but you see Taylor Swift. I say on my podcast that I wanted to go I wanted to give Taylor Swift my friendship bracelet. All of a sudden, she's here, you think that's gonna happen for Sam Laporta in Detroit. No, it's not like there is you know, so Chris, you know who's the you got a celebrity crush you And I'm not sure if Chris is married or not. I apologize, Chris Jones. Are you sure? Are you just trying to make me feel bad to make you feel so? Yeah, I don't. I guess there. I guess the idea is there are so he is married? All right, So maybe not celebrity crush, but the fact that you can become internationally known being a part of this dynastic run. But Kelsey's not a bigger celebrity than Mahomes. I do think he's a bigger celebrity than everyone else in the league. Next, c J.
Speaker 3: Stroud is off to a record setting start for the Texans. Not only is he putting up stats, but he's also dethroning the monarchy all in her fold. A new prince rules the AFC South.
Speaker 2: Well, that's obviously ludicrous. But CJ. Stroud's been awesome, awesome, gotten better each game, been impressive in each game, and demonse My take on Stroud going into the draft was of all the quarterbacks highest floor lowest ceiling was that he was the least likely to be just a bust, but also the least likely of the three first rounders to be a star. It's not looking like that right now. He played well in his first game ever against Baltimore, played very well in his second game ever against the Colts, and played great last week or this past weekend against the Jags. He's down four of his starting offensive linemen. Listen, he's gonna have his ebbs and flows, but this kid is. This kid's something else, man. And we all made fun of the Texans for winning that final game of the year on the two point conversion, costing themselves the number one pick. Maybe that worked out for him because Stroud they would have taken Bryce at one, and they take Stroud and Bryce is dinged up and they won't let Bryce quarterback.
Speaker 3: Has he not thrown a pick yet?
Speaker 2: Not throwing a pick? Four touchdowns, zero picks in ninety eight ratings, sixty five completion percentage, seven and a half yards per attempt. He's played well, man, I give the guy credit, all right.
Speaker 3: Next down, seventeen down seventeen zero. In the fourth, Jordan Love let a banged up Packers squad to a victory over the Saints. All in unfold green Bay as their third franchise quarterback in a row.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not yet all in on that, and he's obviously I don't think he's gonna have a Farvard Rogers type of career. And he actually didn't play that great against New Orleans. But New Orleans has not allowed twenty points in eleven or more than twenty points in eleven straight games. That's an awesome defense. And while he didn't play great throughout, he did play great at the end. I mean, down seventy more than fourth quarter. Green Bay, by the way, did the two point gambit, which is such a smart thing where down fourteen, score a touchdown, go for two on the first one. So if you get it, then a touchdown wins you the game, and if you don't get it, then you have another opportunity to go for two. I I liked I picked the Packers, if you remember, to win the division going into the year, because I thought Love would be more than serviceable. He's been at least that he threw his first pick in this game, and he hasn't thrown for a ton of yards but seven touchdowns, one pick, a ninety five rating pretty solid. You've got to feel good if you're the Packers. Listen, He's not gonna be a superstar, but sitting behind Rogers seemed to help. That was three years of apprenticeship seem to help. He's really, I mean, he's he's a small, average NFL quarterback. Well, no, that's not Jordan loves. Sitting and learning for three years is different than three weeks of training camp. I mean it's maybe, yes, maybe, if Zach Wilson sat behind Rogers for three years, maybe would have picked up some things. He still wouldn't be good. But Love I think had a better baseline than Zach, and it worked. All right, go next?
Speaker 3: All right. Chargers coach Brandon Staley did everything that he could to lose to Minnesota, but Kirk Cousins melted down and bailed him out all in her fold. Staley should still get fired this Staley.
Speaker 2: Thing, So listen, Staley's done a terrible job, but everyone's killing him for this fourth down decision that was borderline at worst. Now, so they were up for on their own twenty four. They went for a fourth and one to end the game. They didn't get it. They could have lost going for it. There is a fine, totally defensible decision. No matter what all these old coaches on TV are going to tell you now, the play call a full back dive when you hadn't been able to run the ball at all all game. That was bad, but going for it was totally reasonable. What's frustrating to me is Sean McVay, who everyone loves rightfully so, made a far worse decision twelve hours ago. Sean McVay, down ten in the fourth quarter, with six minutes left in one timeout, fourth and five, punted the ball. That's quitting. That is saying we lose because even if everything works out perfectly after that, which it did, you get the stop, you go get a touchdown. What ended up happening they had to kick an on side kick because they didn't have all their timeouts because there wasn't enough time. So everything went perfect and they were still in an on side kick game. Sean McVay punting there indefensible. Josh McDaniels kicking that field goal that he kicked on Sunday Night Football indefensible. Staley's decision is contrary to the norms, but defensible. Everyone kills him for it last night, Fowler, who I like when the Rams only picked up five yards on third down again, and it's fourth and five, you're down ten, there's six minutes left, you have one time out. Fowler says, oh, and the Rams are forced to punt. No, they're not. They chose to punt, and so I again, I didn't like the play goal by Staley, but going for it there was not one of the four worst decisions coaches made in the NFL this week, and everyone just kills him for it.
Speaker 3: Next, do you think Minnesota should trade Kirk Cousins.
Speaker 2: I mean, if it's maybe, if someone's willing to give you real draft capital and you want to start over, yeah, I would consider it. But because you're not going to bring him back this offseason, the problem is you didn't get Justin Jefferson locked down to a contract extension, and Jefferson might get pissed if you just totally punt on the season. Also, by the way, Cousins in this same game forgetting time and score after they got the ball to like the six yard line or seven yard line was the worst clock management I've seen from a veteran quarterback. In a very very long time, all right.
Speaker 3: Next, the Patriots barely snuck away with a victory over gunslinging Zach Wilson. The Jets have reached out to other quarterbacks even though they are committed to Zach Wilson. All in our fold, Carson Wentz is better than Zach Wilson.
Speaker 2: Every quarterback, Aveill was better than Zach Wilson. Most teams backups, some team's third stringers. All these guys are better than Zack Wilson. Again, everyone wants to. They're like, oh, we gotta be nice. We gotta be nice to Zach Wilson, the human being, Zach Wilson, the football players. The worst quarterback I've ever seen repeatedly play. He's the worst, and every time you trot him out there, you are kneecapping your team. So yeah, of course I would have. I would have reached out to Carson Wentz the moment Rogers got hurt them. Not doing that is a beyond baffling decision.
Speaker 3: Next, the Raiders elected to kick a field goal before the two minute warning on Sunday night. Down eight points, all in a fold, it's time. It's time to throw. Time to throw analytics.
Speaker 2: Sorry, so obviously unfolding this. This is what is so frustrating to me. They went against the analytics, and analytics get blamed. There is no theorem or formula that says what they did was smart. All of it goes against it. Now, now, I do think there are instances where teams are foolish in treating a seven point deficit the exact same as an eight point deficit, meaning teams that act like, oh, we're down eight, so we're definitely only down one score. That's not true. You might be down two scores because the two point conversions are hard. And the Raider, if you were watching that game, they initially kicked the field goal with like four minutes left, down eight from like the thirty. I was totally fine with that call, but then there was a penalty. They accepted it. They adhim kicking field goal anyway from inside the ten. That was outrageous because they were so much closer and because of the time of the game, so treating a game. McDaniel's point was, we needed multiple scores to win the game, no matter what is correct. But all the analytical models hated him kicking a field goal in that spot in that scenario all right, Demonse, I've got one for you. The Ravens had a chance to win in regulation, justin Tucker's sixty one yarder fell short. They went on to lose in overtime. All in her fold, Demonse, you were too high on the Ravens.
Speaker 3: I don't think I was too high on the Ravens. I think that I think the Colts are a decent team. I was saying they could be a frisky team at the beginning of the year. I don't think they're bad. But uh, but yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: That really banged up right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean we obviously have injuries, and I think that we have a chance to prove something playing that number one defense that you're talking about with the Browns. And we'll really see what's up in a week.
Speaker 2: So, but I want to say something about that game. J Feely was the third man in the booth for that game. I I have It's been a long time since I was more frustrated with an announcer than I was with Jay Feely in this game. If you were watching the end of Colt Ravens with sound on, you were treated. I thought Jay Feely was just there to give kicking analysis but Jay Feely was for the entirety of the part that I was watching with the sound on, which was the end of the fourth and the whole part of overtime, he was just he was just chiming in at every moment. He kept setting the Raven had the ball on their own forty nine yard line, Okay, that would be a sixty nine. It was their own forty eight, so that would be a seventy yard field goal. Okay. The all time record is sixty six. Sixty three stood forever Nan Tucker at a sixty six yarder in a dome. Feely was adamant that they were already in field goal range. Who was like, oh, Justin Tucker, you're in his field goal range. He can make it from here. It was a cold, rainy, outdoor game. And also, while Tucker is the best kicker I've ever seen, acting like anyone is automatic from sixty plus is lunacy, and acting like anyone can make a seventy yard is insanity. Also, it should be noted that Justin Tucker, over the last I think it's eight years of his career, is one of eight on sixty plus yarders. Nobody makes a lot of sixty yarders, but Pheely was telling us they're in his range from seventy. From seventy, Lamar took a sack and Pheelly was like, oh my god, now he's out of his range. It's like he was not in his range yet. Then Lamar completes a big pass and gets them to the forty three. So now it's a sixty one yarder, and Pheey can't stop saying about, oh, Tucker is well within his range, well in his range. So then you watch him kick much and it's dead center. It's dead center, and Pheely, who's there just for the kicking analysis, has been telling us this guy can hit from seventy. So it's dead center, and it's obviously got plenty of lets. And so if you're watching it in your Ravens van and you're like, oh my god, we won things four yards short, because of course it is, because it's a sixty one yarder in the rain outdoors. Then in overtime the Colts have the ball and again you need a touchdown to win the game. Okay, but Pheely is so is so caught.
Speaker 3: Up hype about his analysis. Dude, he's got hype situation at the end of the game.
Speaker 2: It was he was so he was the in fact, pardon me, it wasn't overtime. It was the end of regulation. Before the missed field goal. The Colts have the ball with a minute ten left, down three, and they have the ball in the thirty Baltimore's thirty, and Pheeley just keeps being like, oh, just be careful here, you're in Matt Gay's range. He can make this kick. Just don't take any negative plays to where James Lofton has to finally step in and be like, Jay, I think they're gonna try to score a touchdown because a field goal does not win the game. It was infuriating. It was totally infuriating. And if you're asking, am I extra annoyed at Jay Feely because let me see if I can find this, because once upon a time, let me see if I can find this real quick h He had deleted it that once upon a time, Jay Feely and I got into a Twitter argument because he was breaking the news that that the about China putting the United States into the newest depression fifteen years ago, because he was getting his news from I don't know, some Reddit thread, and I called him out on it, and I've been kind of waiting for a time to take a shot back. Yeah, yeah, that's probably true, but it was just painful to listen to quick Break answer your questions next, What's right? Kickstart a fresh fall routine with Hello Fresh. Hello Fresh handles all meal planning and shopping to deliver everything you need to cook up a tasty meal right at home. They do the hard part and you get to take all the credit when it comes to options. Honestly, more is more. That's why Hello Fresh's menu includes forty recipes and over one hundred add on items to choose from every week. There are so many options. My family's never unhappy. We personally love the meat and veggie's options, but there's so many good ones. Hello Fresh is more than just dinners. You can also stock your fridge with easy breakfasts, quick lunches, and fresh snacks. Just shop Hello Fresh Market and add any of those tasty, time saving solutions to weekly box. Try Hello Fresh today by going to HelloFresh dot com. Slash fifty nick right, use code fifty that's five zero code fifty nick right for fifty percent off plus fifteen percent off the next two months. That's HelloFresh dot com. Slash fifty nick right and use code fifty nick right for fifty percent off plus fifteen percent off the next two months. All right, before we get to your questions, I have gone through the old Twitter archives and it is so great, uh, because I was able to find the I was able to find his response tweet to me. I don't know how I remember these things from twenty eleven, and he has deleted, of course, the missing for that I had called him on about essentially the US economy being on the brink of a depression because he had uncovered something from cnsnews dot com that the rest of the lame stream media had missed. But what he did not delete those twelve years ago when that story ended up not being accurate was the follow up, which is so perfect, the follow up tweet which is still up there, which is when I said, buddy, this is not true, like you're misleading people. You have a big platform. You shouldn't do it. From June third, twenty eleven at from j Feely at get nick right. When this comes out, you can tweet me your apology. Well, twelve and a half years later, it's yet to happen, so that apology is not coming. Now. Should I apologize for maybe taking some shots at a fellow broadcaster here, Maybe I would, but as Dusty are great stats producer for first things first, reminds me in the midst of telling us how Justin Tucker can hit from seventy yards right before he comes up short from sixty yards. Jay Peeley also repeatedly called him Jason Tucker. It's like, come on man, all right, Deman's what are our questions for today's show?
Speaker 3: First off, I want to apologize for the drills and bits going on in the background. They're fixing the check. I can't even hear ours outside. I can hear Okay, go ahead, all right, So chasing chasing Felix as well. This is also in reply to the toush push frant that you went on the league should ban the deep ball by Mahomes it's too good.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, that's so stupid. I'm not arguing it should be banned because it's effective. I'm arguing because it should be banned because it is the opposite of entertainment. And if you hack a sport that exists to get eyeballs on it, let me it would be again. It is seventy year years ago in Major League baseball, Bill Veck hired a small person, guy who was like two feet ten inches to be on his baseball team. Brought him up to the plate. You couldn't throw a strike because the strike zones this big. He got an automatic walk. Guess what Baseball did. They changed the rules immediately. You know why. They're like, well, this is bad for the sport. If all of a sudden there was someone in professional hockey who was large enough to just not move and block the entire goal, so we be like, well, you can't score on us. We found the biggest man ever to live, and he's gonna just sit there. They would change it that, you know, why, oh, why don't you find someone that big. Why don't you find a quarterback that strong? It's bad for the sport. The deep ball by Mahomes is the opposite of that, incredibly aesthetically pleasing what people want to see. I'm not gonna argue about this sea.
Speaker 3: By the way he's talking about him throwing the ball deep, is.
Speaker 2: That he was being a smartess. Yeah, that's just he was just being a smartess. But demonse I told America a few weeks ago. I have three types of opinions, immediately incontrovertibly correct, eventually incontrovertibly correct, and laughably wrong. This the NFL should ban. The tush push is a clear bucket too. It is a clear bucket too, eventually incontrovertibly correct.
Speaker 3: Next, all right, Ryan Fitzgerald said, a question for Nick, who would you rather have for the next five years? Party or Jordan Love. That's a really good question, Ryan, Jordan Love.
Speaker 2: Sure. Okay, if I'm the Niners, maybe it's different. But if you're saying, like I don't know what team they're going to be dropped into, I'd rather have Jordan Love. I think Jordan the I have more reasonab believe that Jordan Love could work in multiple systems than I do. Brock Perty. That's and and by the way, Jordan Love this week did it without his left tackle, did it without Aaron Jones, did it without Christian Watson. Brock Perty has never played a game in the NFL without Christian McCaffrey and those players around.
Speaker 3: Next, all right, uh, we got we got Jose. Nick looks like he's about to paint the house.
Speaker 2: I look good today, that's rude. I disagree with that. Danielle. Your mom's here, Demase and waiting for me because she's going to work with me today. She but she can't hear it because, uh, this is one of our viewers said I look like I'm about to go paint a house. She didn't. She says, send us, She says, Jose, send your outfit. She's doing a fit check Jose. I no longer have Demanse in my headphones to talk again. Demase, Uh, nope, I can't hear Demanse, which means show's probably about to be over, but Gabe will read. Gabe's last question says, I see red Eyes from Newark, Newark to Frankfurt for less than one thousand on November third, out of the Chiefs Fins games at Frankfurt Stadium. Not sure if they're lay down seats, so maybe not bougie enough for you. But should we go? Maybe we can hop a ride on Taylor Swift's PJ. First of all, I don't buy first class playing tickets, so I don't need lay down seats. This is another thing, Demons, your mom disagrees with me on She and in fact, the few times that I've been given first class seats on a flight that she's.
Speaker 3: On with me.
Speaker 2: She then takes it and I go sit in the seat that I actually bought. So a, I don't buy first class playing tickets. They're too expensive. I just think it's a waste of money. The smart move is by the front row of coach. You get all the same as first class except for no food. You know, all the leg room, and it's so much cheaper. Also, I'm not going to Germany for the football game. I'd love to go see Chiefs, Dolphins and Frankfurt, but I'm not going to Germany for the football game. All right, that is today's show. We will see you guys on Thirdnesday. I'll be on the Herd today in a few hours, and the first thing's vers of three. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 3: We'll track