Speaker 1: Drive Time with Travis Wingfield begins.
Speaker 2: Now, let me check your pulse if you're not far though.
Speaker 3: What is up? Dolphins?
Speaker 4: And welcome to the Draft Time Podcast, part of the Miami Dolphins podcast network covering your team, your Miami Dolphins.
Speaker 3: How's it going everybody?
Speaker 4: I am your host, Travis Wingfield And on today's show, practice number ten in the books and against a different color jersey. We'll break down the day's work against the Falcons. Here from Miami Gardens who stood out in team the one on ones two minute drill. Plus we'll hear from head coach Mike McDaniel, Mike White, Jalen Twyman, Devon a Chain, and Brandon Jones from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 3: This sues the Draft Time Podcast.
Speaker 5: Maye Gaffie.
Speaker 4: You may have heard the Falcons are in town and we got to see an action packed practice session today. Way too much going on with two fields of work, four stations of one on ones and the ramp up to team drills. As it is, there's gonna to be some things that you just cannot possibly watch and you have to punt on.
Speaker 3: Let's go ahead and get that out of the way.
Speaker 4: First, I watched a lot of the offense and team and did not see a single moment of our defensive line in the O line, D line pass rush drills. And I'm gonna see this every time we have joint practices, people are going to bring up conflicting camp observations.
Speaker 3: Can we just acknowledge that they're not all the same?
Speaker 4: Like tweeting about a player who's not out there and then correcting it later on, probably not a reliable source of information. So that and then also, like I saw someone came at me for talking about the Dolphins interior having a good one on one pass rush or pass blocking rep against the Falcons pass rush, and I mentioned interior because exterior was bad. And I saw that the quote that was used against that was a stat showing seven imaginary sacks on thirty one pass rush reps. Well, batting twenty five percent in one on one drills is not a good number for pass rushers. That drill is tilted to the defense and the same way receivers have the advantage in.
Speaker 3: The one on one opportunity.
Speaker 4: So I just want to get that out of the way, because you're gonna see all of that, I'm gonna see a bunch of it.
Speaker 3: It drives me crazy. But we move on.
Speaker 4: Let's get to the one on ones here in a moment, including what I thought was a very good period from our guys in those pass blocking drills on the interior exterior not so much. I thought it was a very bad showing off the right tackle position and left tackle as well. Let's go ahead and start here though, first, because the depth chart is officially out, and as you would expect, there's a good deal of seniority in there, and I don't think any real surprises based upon how the roster shakes out. The only note I would give on that that I think is worth talking about because I mean like Nick Needham, for instance, is on their head of cater Ko who Noah Igbinoghany and Cam Smith. Nick Needham hasn't practiced yet, He's not going to practice for a minute. So I get the purpose of it, but the accuracy of it, it's not like real time. And so let's go ahead and hear from head coach Mike McDaniel on preseason depth charts and the best quote I think of camp so far.
Speaker 2: Depth charts.
Speaker 1: Okay, preseason depth charts, which there's nothing wrong with them in theory, but for what we do here and you guys hear me talk about it all the time, like every day we're evaluating. Every day is important and I am a principle that players decide where they're at on the field and doing that preseason depth charts are like my nemesis because I just make sure that they have every player on the team. But to sit here and say this person is that stuff. We are rotating guys, giving guys, you know, I put a precedent on giving guys the opportunity and having them decide where they stand. So if someone's listed as a guard, that doesn't mean they're not getting tackle work or vice versa. You have to put something on paper in general, But like, realistically there should be about fifteen starters on each side of the ball because you're talking about different personnel groups.
Speaker 2: Can you do you do that? Do I just release the days depth chart? You know that all those things. It's very malleable.
Speaker 1: I understand why it feels like it's annoying something.
Speaker 2: It's really really not. He's listed there.
Speaker 1: Because he does play that position, but there's like three other positions that he that he's playing. Unlike years past, I think in my history and definitely from last year, we have more competition in a lot of spots. So you might see somebody starting that's listed as in the third team. I really don't care about it, but that only because ar Mantra, like I can't speak out both sides of my miles, so I just I'm just like, oh, okay, there's a lot of names here. Oh there's five, there's seven. Okay, we got them all, sweet. And that's about the end of it.
Speaker 4: So with that out of the way, let's go ahead and talk about the quarterbacks, who I described them today as feast or famine. Some bad interceptions, including a very uncharacteristic interception of Tua down in the team red zone work. He was looking for Freddie Swayin on a timing shot down around the goal line over the middle, and linebacker Troy Anderson, who was very well known for this at Montana and through his rookie year with the Atlanta Falcons, very athletic player, gets depth, falls into the hook zone, reads the eyes of the quarterback into the route, and jumps it and takes it back the other way, probably till about midfield before I think Tua would have got him down or at least slowed him up for everyone else to catch up and go make a play on the linebacker run down the field. But really good play by Anderson, not a good throw by Tua. And that's usually the type of rep where Tua does a good job of moving the defender with his eyes. I can't sit here and tell you I have analysis like that seeing a play live one time, but in a snapshot. First thought on that was the fourth and eight touchdown against the Patriots to Waddle last year where he moved the second level and dropped the ball into the vacancy. And Tua had another miss on a short throw to Jeff Wilson that I thought was uncharacteristically off the mark from him, just a couple of other balls that were not necessarily like we get so spoiled by his ball placement to watch him just time after time put the ball on the correct shoulder, on the correct hip on you know, outside shoulder on a deep ball inside to the post. Like the ball placement we are so spoiled by. And when it's off like I thought it was today, I think it stands out and so no, he was not sailing balls all day long. He missed like four or five throws, but for the most part he was in command, had a few more incompleations that we're used to seeing. Things just seemed a little bit off, like that, there was one to waddle that was a little bit below the bell and Jalen could not hang on as he went to the ground. Just stuff like that. Could have been a better throw, could have been a better catch. There was one the Tyreek on the sideline where he got free like he was all damn day long, and Tua was a little bit high and it forced Tyreek to make a circus catch and tap the toes. But I mean five throws out of a whole day of camp where there was a lot of reps. And Skyler didn't get a lot of reps today, so it was mostly Tua and Mike White. But Tua had a bunch of reps, like fifty plus, I would say, And I thought his best throw the day was a shot to chosen who had his best day of camp so far.
Speaker 3: More on him in a moment. But Tu, this is like Vintage two.
Speaker 4: At this point, pumps deep to Tyreek comes back to the middle to Chosen in the intermediate and shoots it between three Falcons in a spot that allowed Chosen to run through the football and into the secondary for at least a thirty yard game not even scored the way he was cooking. He also gave River Craycraft a very nice yak ball run. After the catch ball, River got free working on their best cover guy, aj Terrell, who kind of got some of the business today from some of these Dolphins receivers. It was interesting a lot of Miami's passing was for chunk yards and on the far field. The Falcons completions were largely in the quick and short game, which kind of reminds me of like the eight Dolphins. And we're gonna talk about this here in a minute. The Falcons want to be a run first, short passing game, control of the clock, good defense type of team. Under Arthur Smith. They have a good defense. I thought they played pretty well in this practice. The running game is pretty strong. I just will find out about Desien Ridder here as we go along. But you might see a similar number of like wins in terms of the Falcons won that play. The Dolphins won that play. But I think if you look at the total yardage game. I think Miami significantly won that battle, if that makes sense, because like our completions would go for like twenty, the Falcons would go for like four or five. Tua dropped some really pretty shots in the one on ones portion of practice, including one to Chosen who was open all day long. I thought Mike White was kind of the same, some really good rips, some not so great ones, mainly the two minute drill interception to end practice where he tried to force it into a window and was picked off. And you can kind of look at that and say, well, he's trying to get the ball down the field because a pick and going four and out. It's the same thing there, and it kind of is. But three picks today was the most I think in a practice so far. Skyler was picked off when he had chosen deep in a one on one shot, but the ball was short and gave aj Terrella play on it. Let's actually go to Mike White now, who spoke to the media after practice and hear his thoughts on the day.
Speaker 5: We have some good, had some bad, and I mean that's going to be any practice. Nothing's ever as good as it looks, and nothing's ever as bad as it looks, but there'll be some good stuff to learn off of the tape, I think from from all sides or all groups or whatever you want to call it. So yeah, I just got to get in there, get better from it, and build on it tomorrow.
Speaker 4: And the reason I think you can point to the good with the quarterbacks is because we can point to so many skill guys that really had nice days. And it began with Tyreek Hill. This this guy's so freaking good. He was fast, he was explosive. He put on our show for the fans for sure, And I almost think you got more of a charged up Tyreek today knowing he was going up against somebody else and looking forward to the opportunity to, like he said, with Eli Apple coming down here to embarrass some folks. And it began in the early one on one portion. He was just putting guys in the spin cycle. He had this one route where he like broke it off twice. And it wasn't like the slow developing camp route that's not applicable to regular football.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 4: It happened so fast and so effectively that I believe in that route as an actual route he can run on game days. I've never really seen it before because I'm not gonna talk about it in death because it goes against reporting rules. But the way he chased this man's blind spot was just outrageous. And the way he did it it was like teaching tape, and it put the defensive back in a position where I think by the time he got his head back around to where he wanted to be, I don't think he knew where Tyreek was.
Speaker 3: And it was like that all day long.
Speaker 4: He caught ball short, he caught balls deep, he caught balls in the intermediate, he caught balls up off of his frame where he had to go up a lot bigger than his five foot ten frame would suggest.
Speaker 3: Just a very, very impressive day.
Speaker 4: The best play of all was a forty six yard touchdown where Mike White took the took the ball, fired it quickly, and the gear that he fired up the seam, I should say quickly, and the gear that Tyreek hit when the ball was in his hands. Like sorry for the cheap reference here, but it reminded me of like the takeoff at the F one the Miami Grand Prix, Like it was catch and he was gone, Like on a different level of track, like you know the airport escalator where you can walk across the escalator and it celebrates your foot speed. It looked like that he ran past all these guys, had to make a turn around the chicine at one point as well to angle a block, and it kind of reminded me of the touchdown running he had against the Bills when he was with the Chiefs in the playoffs a couple of years ago. We're so fortunate to have this guy man I mentioned Chosen and been impressed by his body of work in this day after a slow starts to camp, I thought he got open, caught the one on one deep shot from Tua, worked the soft spots and the zones with good timing.
Speaker 3: With all the quarterbacks.
Speaker 4: Seems to have something that clicked for him, and McDaniel's mentioned that, and throughout the course of training camp where this progression, the journey of things clicking, I think that might have been today for Chosen. I hesitate to make that commitment. We'll see what happens tomorrow if he can take it into a game and take it into next week into Houston. But I'm encouraged by what I saw today because so far not a great camp, but today very good for chosen. You know who I really liked today was Brax and Barrios. Man he I've been pumping the a Zuokama train. Barrios is right there at this point for me for that like kind of you know, secondary role to the top two guys in the offense in the running game that I think will have a big role as.
Speaker 3: Well, but tough catches in traffic.
Speaker 4: I thought Mike White's best throw was a dart right into the bulls eye on the zero in his jersey with the defender on his back. And actually Clark Phillips got carted off after the play, which you hate to see. Both he and Brayln Sanders got carted off. It didn't look good, but we'll find out what happened to them both probably tomorrow. But Braxon made the tough contest to catch hung on and that was his game today, man catching third down completions in tight quarters. And so I asked Mike White after practice, what is it about Braxon Barrios that makes him so tough in those situations?
Speaker 3: Here's the Miami QB.
Speaker 5: I think, I mean, the short area of quickness is is so good by him, and I think he does such a good job of making those one step cuts, and you can you can feel his body language and know when he when he's leaning into someone, when he's when he's getting ready to break out. He has a really good feel for the zone looks as well. Like man to man, he's fast and he's crafty, so he's gonna he's gonna beat you just off of peer speed a lot of the time. But it's the zone looks that he knows when he needs to throttle down, when he needs to kind of lean into something, if it's if it's an outbreaker, but it's versus cloud, he knows, all right, I can out, I can break out, but I don't need to break out as fast. I can kind of throttle in that dead zone and the little stuff like that that makes him really really fun to throw.
Speaker 4: Tom still very convinced that Mike White and I have a chance to be best friends in the future. I love that guy. I love the way he talks football. I love the fact that he loves golf. He's a father of two children. That's kind of my guy right now. So after that I had to ask him because another reason I like him so much is because he gives these great detailed football answers.
Speaker 3: So I had to ask.
Speaker 4: Him, like it seems like Braxon is the kind of guy that would spend time in the quarterback room and develop that trust with you guys. Do you kind of get a sense of that with Braxton. Here's Mike White once again on brax burials.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of stress. You can just tell when you're talking to him after a route. He understands, he thinks. He'll even sometimes come up to us, hey this is where I was thinking, and nine times out of ten it's it's the right thing. So it's it's a lot. It's a lot of fun to play with him. Luckily, I'm going on year five watching him get.
Speaker 4: Some off the White and Wingfield Show. Maybe a future podcast idea, I don't know. I mentioned River cray Craft speaking of guys I love go Koog's Death of the pac twelve kills me breaks my heart.
Speaker 3: Uh the past I mentioned from him earlier. You can see it on Twitter.
Speaker 4: I thought he had a really good day of being detailed in his routes and showing the quarterback his numbers and just got open. Typical River Craycraft, typical Washington State coog, typical guy from the police.
Speaker 3: He's not from the police, but I'm going on to this point.
Speaker 4: What else, Let's go ahead and get to the backs, tight ends, and wide receivers. Go ahead and take a break though, before you do that. Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation Joint Practices Halfway Home. Let's go ahead and hear from coach McDaniel, who addressed some of the things he's looking for this morning ahead of the practice with Atlanta Falcons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, there's a there's so many people can get enamored.
Speaker 2: With, like, Okay, I'm gonna replicate the starters were three for.
Speaker 1: Five at and that, and yes, we are assessing how the starting players are playing.
Speaker 2: But in these practices you get you get a.
Speaker 1: Great lens into your roster and and you're you have a ton of really tough, tough decisions, really difficult decisions that are that are coming a couple of weeks away.
Speaker 2: UH And this is a great.
Speaker 1: This is a great aspect of the whole uh precinct process where you get, you know, a little heightened information on who's going to be a part of your team.
Speaker 2: We are uh, don't get it twisted.
Speaker 1: We have we have a uh on our journey.
Speaker 2: We're just citing.
Speaker 1: Really, the players are to side on the field, what the locker room is going to look like, and the younger guys that maybe don't get as many opportunities and team periods generally get a little bit more opportunities. And in joint practices for that reason, the one on ones are heightened because it is more monoly mono less well, you did this yesterday, I got a plan for you today. Those deciding what your roster is going to become as a hard, hard thing that Chris and I and the coaching staff and the personnel have to come up with.
Speaker 2: And these joint practices serve as a.
Speaker 1: Very helpful tool and that along with everything else that we evaluate.
Speaker 4: And then the second part I wanted to play for you all was him talking about things he wanted to see cleaned up from the scrimmage. Obviously, we know the offense was not at their best on Saturday. Here's coach talking about the progression of what they saw on the practice field Saturday at hard Rock Stadium and bringing it back over here to the BPT BP tc H Baptist Hell's Train Complex.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everything that you guys noticed that was bad. I'm hoping that is good.
Speaker 2: Because I was. I was there too. The it it is.
Speaker 1: But but what you're bringing up is like, what did I do? Is it too hot in here? Every like? Everything that we're doing, it's it's it's kind of what you're hitting on is a microcosm of what the NFL season is is. It's about today and then tomorrow. It's about tomorrow and what did you use from the day before to make yourself the best version of the present, So that that is an easy said than done thing that we have to accomplish in the regular season. It's as simple as like, so you beat a team by twenty five points, do.
Speaker 2: You let your foot off the gas and then get pummeled that next week? Or do you lose the.
Speaker 1: Game by twenty five points and not make the decision that hey, we're not gonna lose again. These types of things, that emotional roller coaster of taking what you've done before and pressing forward to be the best version of yourself. That that's what across the board I look at each every each and every day. So the scrimmage was an opportunity we had. We had some explosive plays given up that I don't want to see given up. We have procedural penalties with certain groups, some operational stuff with a snap or two, and we had some decisions from the quarterback and some routes you know, and angles by blockers.
Speaker 2: I mean, the list goes on and on.
Speaker 1: But what I can tell you is that that's what's cool about looking at it that way is the second that on this practice field, I guarantee today I'm gonna see somebody do something that will be a positive result as a result of something that they didn't do well in the scrimmage. You're trying to stack those things and make sure that is how we operate in training people with muscle memory on, like, all right, I'm gonna take yesterday, but it's about today, and so there'll be much of that. In the midst of the heat index and the varying various jersey colors.
Speaker 4: We talked about the passing game. I thought the back's involvement in the passing game was a nice step in the right direction. Raheem got loose for a big play at the sideline and that continued to be impressed by what he offers in the passing game. Think you can see more of that this year. He also caught a little swing pass in the red zone where I loved how Tua got through the entire progression, found him out for the swing, a little escape route and alec ingold gets out there from a nasty alignment and tight split to the formation, and he winds up wheeling out there and making a key lead block and Raheem cuts off that and knifes his way into the end zone. So I think, I don't know if the long ball is a touchdown. If it was, we're calling it two pass or receiving touchdowns for him. On the day, I thought Devon A. Chane had another one of his vintage A chain practice days. Awesome, awesome, awesome, two explosive runs. He also had the run of the day knifing through the line and dropping the shoulder at the goal line for a touchdown and really popped the defender on that play. I asked him about that after the fact. Here's a Dolphins worker running back talking about running somebody over at the goal line.
Speaker 1: It felt good, you know, he just you know, like you said, we was playing against a self all on the spring and training camp, so you know, you know, Jop showed is on.
Speaker 2: My teammates, so you know. But it was funny, you know, look content you kind.
Speaker 4: Of get a sense from how the veteran guys talk about rookies to really get a gauge for how they're progressing out here. And Jayleen Waddall spoke glowingly of devon a chain. All these guys kind of are so I think that you kind of see how it tracks and I'm I think these top two draft picks I think are gonna have a big impact on the team this year. I think Elijah Higgins is going to as well. We'll talk about him here in just a second, but let's go ahead and talk about Elijah Higgins.
Speaker 3: I jumped the gun there. I love his game, man.
Speaker 4: He had a blockout in space at one point where he totally wiped out the cornerback in pursuit. I don't know who's carrying the football, but I think you see his progress from day one to right now in camp, and he might be one of the guys that's taken the biggest jump so far with his game from where he was day one to where he is now just really impressed by his blocking game, and I already know what he can do as a pass receiver because he was a receiver. And then I think his speed also translates to special teams as well, So I'd be surprised if Higgins is not a big part of this team going forward. Julian Hill, the other tight end other rookie tied in here, had an awesome rebound touchdown grab on a batted pass exactly the same as the batted ball from Tannehill to Jarvis Landry in a twenty fifteen game in Philadelphia. If you do not recall that game, go back and check it out. Exact same thing. Moving inside, I thought the one on one drill and pass rush was split pretty evenly. I thought our interior anchored well and their edges put a ton of pressure on the imaginary quarterback.
Speaker 3: That's part for the course. In that drill.
Speaker 4: Connor Williams anchored several times. Rob Hunt had some really good dominant reps Dan Feenie as well, but feene kind of does really well in that drill all the time, I'm noticing, and Rob Jones and Isaiah Win both had good work in the period. I thought Isaiah Winn had one of the best pickups in pass protection of the day where he kind of noted the looper coming around his gap and this isn't team period and picked it up for a good completion from Tua to chosen at one point in practice, let's go ahead and flip this thing over to the defense on the other side of the podcast here on other side of the break, I should say Draft Time podcast.
Speaker 3: Your host Travis.
Speaker 4: Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation, had a nice little one on one chat with Dolphins defensive lineman Jalen Twyeman after practice.
Speaker 3: He had a huge day on Saturday.
Speaker 4: We're not gonna talk to him after the scrimmage, requested him after practice.
Speaker 3: Here's my chat with Jalen Twyman. So pretty big day on Saturday. Man, How did it feel to have so much success in the scrimmage like that?
Speaker 6: You know, I'm just trying to keep stacking days, you know what I mean. That's what Coach Clark is preaching for me, to be consistent every day. So I know the techniques. I just got to keep executing the techaniques and pitting the days all together.
Speaker 4: Christian made a comment that your inquisitive nature has kind of helped him better himself because it makes him think about more stuff. I'm curious, is that something they encouraged you guys, or is that something you've always done to ask questions of bets like that.
Speaker 6: Well, I always asked a lot of questions, but you know, this camp, I've asked more questions than I ever have. Because Christian is one of the best, if not the best, at what he does in this defense, in this style of play. You know what I mean, him being relentless. I want to, you know, be just like Christian and his defense, and you know, there's no better guy to be behind. You know, the things that he's went through, what he's conquered, what he's currently going through.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: So his technique is falling flawless, and he's been a great big brother to me, along with Ray Kwan and Seala and all those guys that a masterminds in his defense. So I'm just trying to take behind them and add a piece of their all three of their game and put it all in the mind.
Speaker 4: He's a pretty well known for his regimen as his routine he goes throvery day.
Speaker 3: You trying to kind of pick that up as well.
Speaker 6: Uh, yes, sir, Actually I am. I just asked him Saturday, you know when we were just in our scrimmage, you know, what does he do at halftime when we had to take the rain break and all of that stuff. So I'm just literally I do everything, you know behind him Raekwon and Seala like I. I will stretch behind him, go behind him on the drills, play on the same side of him. So I'm just trying to, you know, mimic my game out to him because if he's at the top of the game and I wanna get up to the top of the game, I gotta do everything just like him.
Speaker 3: As well as your game out there on Saturday and Fort Camp.
Speaker 4: If I've been pretty good, I think your celebrations is probably my favorite as well.
Speaker 3: Do you get that from Christian two?
Speaker 6: So I've been I've been celebra I've been doing my celebrations, that's one of it. But he's really good at celebration too. He always had a signature, and I had to find my signature. That's what I've been navigating through, you know, but I got to execute it in the real games for it, you know, go viral. But I'm kind of feeling the Lebron celebration.
Speaker 3: That's the one I like. Man, I've been seeing that one.
Speaker 4: You excited to get out here across street for a big game on Friday night.
Speaker 6: Yes, sir man, but you know I gotta stack keep stacking days, and it starts with tomorrow and you know, just not getting too high and not getting too low. Just you know, staying ease.
Speaker 4: Fun guy, right, and yeah, if you want to be great in this league, go do what Christian Wilkins does. I think he kind of gets it at this point of his career. I wanted to run that because I just thought he earned a little bit of shine after the showing on Saturday and really his entire camp. He has a chance to, I think, be one of the guys in the rotation, you know, after the deshauns Hands signing, which I think will obviously have an impact on how the rotation goes. But to me, Twyman's been the next guy beyond Wilkins, Seiler and Davis who you know, Wilkins and Steiler play a million snaps, so there's not gonna be a whole lot left over, but there's gonna be some snaps for guys to play. I think jaylen Twyman's put his best foot forward to earn some of those. I thought Zach Steeler and again Christian Wilkins did not really play team today, even though he might have saw that he got dominated or whatever, but he didn't play, so that's not possible. But Zax Steeler was out there and he was a regular in the backfield. Well, my first note I wanted to watch is how the Dolphin, how Steeler and Wilkins played against Chris Lenstrom and Matt Hennessy and their interior offensive line, because that's kind of the strength of their team, one of the strengths of our team, one of the many strengths of our team, and Zax Steeler was as advertised, he kicked their button man. He was stacking things up. His power against the realm was so very good. He just consistently got off blocks and made plays. Speaking of Christian, Coach did talk about Christian Wilkins, who had a great interview at the stadium on Saturday after the scrimmage. Let's go ahead and hear from Coach on Christian Wilkins, his energy level and how he's worked to really fine tune the way he asserts his energy on the practice field in the building, and it's.
Speaker 1: One of the reasons it gives me a little goosebumps when I I just got them say literal because the progression of players and their journey is just why you get into coaching. And yeah that when I first got here, he's always been so coachable, so like he would be, his antics were less directed towards the team as they are now. Like he when he has enthusiasm, he's bringing his teammates along.
Speaker 2: He is he is letting them know that you know.
Speaker 1: That he's the tone setter, he's the standard, and he's a It's not just him, it's all of his ten other teammates on the field at the time with him. At the beginning, it was more let's just say it was concerted.
Speaker 2: S talk SA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did that myself, I believe to myself, and it was just more about like being intense. He goes to a place when he plays football. That is one of the reasons why he's such a good players because he he sees red and now he's learned how to channel and it's been awesome to see because it where he was starting maybe some fights my first week here. Now he's setting energy, you know, and how awesome is that? How did I coach him? I'd coach him in team meetings in front of his piers and be like, listen, this is you can you can utilize this.
Speaker 2: Energy better And he did, and now.
Speaker 1: You know you want when he makes the play, it makes other people better offensively and defensively on our team. So it's a really cool progression to watch and I love him for it.
Speaker 3: We love him too, Mike, We love him too.
Speaker 4: Brandon Peeley had a sack in the team period. I thought he carried it over from what looked like a good one on one period the good swim move available on our Twitter account right now. Rayquan's doing a very good job all camp but really stacking things up with the point and he's working down the flow of the line of scrimmage against like outside zone plays to make more plays. More on him in just a moment. DeShawn Hand had a sack and team period. We should mention him right. New member of the squad here, four year pro with really good athletic ability, strength and explosiveness. I thought he played really well in a rotational role for the Lions, and given our depth, he could slot into a similar role here if he earns that position. Perry Nickerson is here too, new corner who we signed yesterday. Didn't get a good look at him today. I'll try to get a better look at him on Wednesday. Back to Rayquan in the running game, though, I know I'm a broken record with this because Jalen Phillips's edge setting has been one of my favorite things all camp long. They couldn't get a block today, guys, and he was either coming off these blocks to make the play or he was stacking it up to let the cavalry arrive. Raqwon Davis a couple of times, so he just has been stellar in that regard. I thought Garrett Nelson had a good day. He had at least one sack on Logan woodside. Let's go ahead and get to the secondar now, X and Cater were up to their usual stuff again. A million things happening. But besides one deep shot from Heineke to Ali Smith, I didn't see the coverage, but it was Cam Smith and Brandon Jones closest to the football. At the end of it, everything was really underneath. It was quick game Robinson Pitts heavily involved, which again this is guesswork, but to me that says the coverage was good. I know Cater was good because I saw him blow up a screen pass where he ran through a blocker and created a big lane for Deshaun Elliott to run through.
Speaker 3: He also was doing a good job.
Speaker 4: Of causing incompletions, had a couple of hands on balls for pass breakups. Same with Noah Igbinoghanny, who I think has really picked up his play speed from a year ago. Like he was lost in coverage last year, right his whole career, really, but he looks different that way this year, driving on passes with better timing, decreasing windows with much greater frequency we've seen in the past. Might be buying back in on Noah Egenogany what we'll see. I'm very curious to watch him the rest of camp. Cam Smith had another really good pass breakup, working underneath the unders had of a receiver to poke the ball free. And then I mentioned Deshaan Elliott as safe. Let's get to him last. Actually, if Roan McKinley had a pick six of ninety or so yards where he came off his man jumped a little throat of the flat and took it all the way back for a touchdown. Elijah Campbell almost had a pick. Had a really good day today, but on this play he came from the far hash all the way over to the sideline, got his hands in the football and just couldn't bring it down with him. Make that catch next time, Elijah, I know you will. And then finally, Deshaun Elliott.
Speaker 3: I love this guy. He was everywhere.
Speaker 4: First, there was a quick throw to the outside where Cater stacked the block and gave him that run through, and he thudded that thing up man like a nice little shot on the ball carrier, but didn't wrap up and finish.
Speaker 3: Good job on you taking care of the guys. He was also just all over the field and coverage.
Speaker 4: I think he had about He's probably had about seven or eight big hits right now. If we're playing live football all camp long, I cannot wait to watch him unload on somebody when we get live in actual games. I asked Brandon Jones about Deshaun Elliott, who has just won everybody here over from his personality standpoint.
Speaker 3: I don't have the audio.
Speaker 4: Here because I apparently didn't record it, but I asked Brion Jones about that type of personality and if he's always been that way, or how you feel about Deshaun Elliott. He told me everyone has to have a friend like Deshaun Elliott because he's the guy with no filter who says what comes to his mind and whether it's good or bad, sometimes you have to hear those things. So he feels like Deshaun Elliet's the kind of friend that everybody has to have and I.
Speaker 3: Can totally see that. All right, those are the practice notes.
Speaker 4: I have two more clips here I want to play for y' all with Mike McDaniel talking about Jalen Ramsey being without.
Speaker 3: Crutches, a great joke that he coach was.
Speaker 4: On once day with the humor. He had about eight laughs in that press conference. And then he also talks about Brandon Jones's plan. Let's go ahead and play both of those.
Speaker 3: Back to back.
Speaker 1: There's been a slew of crutches thievery in Miami Gardens now is again It's a beautiful balance because I love where Jalen's at.
Speaker 2: He is attacking everything.
Speaker 1: I love that I can depend on our training staff to know that that leads someone vulnerable to over exerting at the stage, so that balance has been doing excellent.
Speaker 2: Right now he is in terms of ahead.
Speaker 1: I I think if I if I say ahead of schedule to our head trainer, he might open hand slap me because he doesn't believe in that. He believes in he's doing well at this juncture, but you have to go through steps and plateaus. You know, he was already resisting the crushes when he had the crushes. I pointed out to him that his triceps could use the work, but he didn't agree. And you know, his spirits are great and he is you know, it speaks to him like you know, how many other guys do you see with a timetable such as his having ownership of the team and his guys more than Jalen Ramsey. You know, I think it speaks to the type of individual, type of leader that we have on the team.
Speaker 2: And the fact that.
Speaker 1: You guys have a visual aid of his recovery and that he's not on crutches speaks to who he is and what this what this team in this locker rooms about. And Brandon Jones, it's he's it's more than last week, not as much as the next week. You know, very individualized Brandon specifically, it falls into the category of the Jalen Ramseys.
Speaker 2: Of the world. Brandon will do anything and.
Speaker 1: Everything uh to expedite his his return. It means so much to him, so he's pro He was probably ready for a little bit more than we gave him last week, but that's intentional because we don't want to put him in a precarious situation have a setback, so there was no setbacks from last week. Very encouraged by it. I'm hoping to take another step forward this week.
Speaker 4: And there you go. That is the podcast. That's gonna be my time. Back at it again tomorrow for joint Practices. We have a podcast on Thursday where I'm gonna break down my ten takeaways from camp so far and also have Mike Kuno from CBS Miami on the pod.
Speaker 3: Friday, no podcast, but Saturday morning in the.
Speaker 4: Early hours the recap from the game that'll be available for you all, and then we're back at it again next week.
Speaker 3: Man all over again, So in the meantime, it's gonna be my time you all.
Speaker 4: Please be sure to subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify, wherever the hell you get your podcasts from. Leave us a rating, leave us a review. You can follow me on Twitter and Instagram at Winkle NFL. Follow the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out the fish Tank podcast, check out.
Speaker 3: Our YouTube channel.
Speaker 4: We have all kinds of media availabilities Dolphins Today, Drive Time and fish Tank content and sold much more and last but not least, Miami Dolphins dot Com.
Speaker 3: Until next time, Finn's Up with Carolina and Cameron.
Speaker 1: Daddy, just go