Speaker 1: This is live coverage of the twenty twenty six Steelers training camp on the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by Pennsylvania one Call Systems Dial eight one one before You dig SNT Bank People Forward Banking by Kalusy Chevrolet, serving the Pittsburgh area for over one hundred and eight years, Clearview Federal Credit Union. For every touchdown the Black and Gold Score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life Mission Listit CLEARVIEWFCU dot org and by iron Workers Local Union Number three. We don't go to the office, We build it.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon, Stealer Nation. It's the Drive live at Saint Vincent College of Course highatap chuck Nole Field. As another day, the fourth and final act aimation practice in the books for your Pittsburgh Steelers. West Shuler and Matt Williamson with you here for the next three hours. As we will conclude our Day four coverage, we have got a lot of fun stuff to get to today. Matt, I'm excited for the show. We are going to talk to our buddy Chris Halleck in the four o'clock hour, we'll get all his thoughts on the four practices that are in the books. To this point, we've got some more fantasy football conversation that we're going to have, and you and I were pretty dialed into watching practice today with a lot with a lot going on on this welcome back to football weekend across the NFL and the final practice for the Steelers before a day off tomorrow. We will get into all that. A lot of ground to cover, but we have to start today, Matt, with the Steelers big announcement this morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's kind of a monumental episode of the drive here. You know, as you said, the acclamation period done. We always like that Hall of honor done. You'll get into that in a minute. Here. The lines on the field look beautiful. From those that were curious how that held up overnight and maybe most importantly in our life, fresh out of the box, right on our craniums, brand new spanking headsets, and they couldn't sound and feel better. I feel like a new man. My car just got detailed.
Speaker 2: It's a great It's like the cars just got detailed. It's like he paid somebody to deep clean the house.
Speaker 3: Exactly that we didn't know how good a heck you to have it.
Speaker 2: You know, you got these fancy new headsets. Shout out to our fearless leader, Brian Lamartina. Back at the ranch. We got some crisp new headsets. We're feeling good, sounding, good, looking good. Yeah, we're on radio.
Speaker 3: We'll leave that one up for you all, like Rick Flair or somebody, I mean, like, I'm a fancy over here.
Speaker 2: Limousine riding, yeah, Rolex wearing jet flying.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: It was a big day on campus today for a lot of reasons, but it all began at ten am this morning when the Steelers introduced they announced their newest Hall of Honor class. The twenty twenty sixth group includes three individuals former GM Kevin Colbert or cornerback J. T. Thomas and Matt. It finally happened richly deserved our former colleague and of course, longtime guard of the Pittsburgh Steelers, Craig Wolfley, and a friend that's absolutely a friend, Matt. That's a that's a heck of a trio going in there. And a trio of three guys who did a ton for the organization. Yeah, and did a ton and still do in some of their cases a ton for the community of Pittsburgh. Two three, three great Steelers and three great members of the Pittsburgh community.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, So I guess I'll start with JT. Thomas because frankly, he's the one I know the least about. And I remember being a kid, and you know, during that Super seventies era, but I was very very young, born in seventy three, and you know, the older folks in my life, uncle father of those guys are kind of like he's one of those dudes on the defense and no one seems to talk about. But when you have Mel Blunt on the other side, he also gets some attention too. And he does not have as easy of a role as you would think, even though that he's surrounded by some of the best defensive players that ever lived in Hall of Famers galore. It's easy to overlook someone like Mike Wagner or J. T. Thomas on those teams, but they're super important and we're not weak links by any means. Really really good football player Wolf. We can go on and on about about stories and knowing them and all that too, And I'll be honest, Kevin was very helpful in my career as well, because when I was at pitt he was next door and I always felt like I could bounce off career questions to him, and he was always really kind to me. And you know, so even when I was in my formidable years, really looked up to him. And of course, you know, even before I was getting paid to do this for a living, I paid such attention to the whole league, but especially the Steelers and ye GM moves and how their minds work, and especially even you know, when I was doing this full time, really dug into his work and was always just super impressed, super class act. I know you've known him a long time as well. I even remember, like when I was with the Browns shaking his hand before the game and being like, you got a spot on your staff, don't'll forget me.
Speaker 2: You know, he's depth chart. I'd love to come back, all.
Speaker 3: Right, right, things aren't looking so good this year over in Cleveland, and I wouldn't mind coming home. And he always kept an eye off for me and those things. And it's tremendous. I urged someone to do the legwork because I did it so long ago. But the average first round pick spot that Kevin had to deal with I think was like twenty four point one overall in the first round, not like if you trade up for Bush, you go to ten. I'm talking about the one that you earned and if people are going to do the exercise. He became the GM about ten years I think it was ten years after really doing the job, and Dale's told the story on the air before. For whatever reasons, the Steelers didn't have that title, but he was doing the exact same job. So there was ten years there that he was in charge of draft. So I included that in my calculations. I think it was when he retired, it's right around twenty fourth overall, so it was like a twenty plus year career. I should know those numbers by I don't exactly if you include the time before he was formally announced GM. Sure, and the way Dale said it was there was no reason to give him that title. But when he would be on the road, there's nicer seats for the GMS than just Joe average scout, and you know he's sitting, Yeah, you might as well give him the first class seats. If he's at LSU Alabama or whatever things like that. That's really the only difference. It wasn't like now he's got new responsibility. From what I understand, it's just a title for convenience reasons. But my point is when on average you picked twenty fourth in the first round, and there were some thirty two's, I mean there's some late ones in there too. There aren't weren't many many five or sixes or tens.
Speaker 2: There was none one losing season in the twenty years that he was GM of this team.
Speaker 3: Right right, I mean, so that means you don't get offense of tackles. They're gone. You don't really have much of a shot at premium quarterbacks. The one year you did, you nailed it and nailed it right right right, you know. So it's not the easiest team build, you think. In a lot of those years too, the Steelers weren't super active in free agency either, so he did a lot of it without as many cards in his hand as Howie Roseman or Jacksonville had picked in the top six like eight years in a row, or the Browns or you know what I mean. So he was not dealt easy hands to win the poker match and still did he.
Speaker 2: Drafted three NFL Defensive Player of the Year recipients or signed technically, if you include James Harrison, of course, then Troy Bonamalu and TJ Watt. Wow, so two draft picks and as signing three defensive player players of the year, one defensive Rookie of the Year in Kendrell Bell, one offensive rookie of the year in Ben Roethlisberger. And players that Colbert signed or drafted were named First Team All Pros twenty five times. Wow in twenty years.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: That's that's pretty good. That's pretty good. And of course the two suitabl Trophies, which is what matters most at the.
Speaker 3: End of the day. And a tremendous legacy and a really good person.
Speaker 2: You know, absolutely, you know. I think I harken back to his you know, his last press conference with the Steelers when he talked about I think a lot of people probably know this, Matt. Most of our listeners are Steelers junkies. But when you walk into the front office of the Steelers facility or the front doors of the Steelers' front office, you get what I'm saying. There's are the Lombardi trophies on display and I remembe a few of them, quite a few of them. And I remember Kevin Colbert talking about, you know, and when I got here, there were four, and you knew what the task was, and you know, I was able to add two more and and and you know, again, that is what matters in Steelers lore. We know it's it's Super Bowls, right. All the other stuff is great, but what you're really looking for championships in this organization. That's how you're judged. And and Kevin Colbert adds two of those Lombardi's, they are gonna sit in that Steelers facility forever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely. And I know there aren't many GM in the Hall of Fame, but I think he has a heck of a case as well. That's a tough tough road to hoe, Yeah, you really, I mean, because there's no stats and things like that, and the things you cited are great, but sometimes it's hard to say, like, well he was one of the best report writers or scouts out there. I mean, those kinds of things are not as tangible. But there's not many gms in the history of this league, or especially during like this free agency era when times have changed that were better or you have a better resume or have a better case to be in canon.
Speaker 2: And then of course matt Our guy, Craig Wolfley, Yeah, for a decade was an offensive lineman in this organization. And then for I believe it was twenty three twenty three seasons as a broadcaster and writer as well too, joining the Steelers Radio network in two thousand and two as a sideline reporter. I just so richly deserved for this guy. He would have I know he would have been a little bashful about it, right, you know, Wolf probably? Yeah, Wolf, I'm sure would say that there are many people that deserve to be in there more than he is. But I would disagree. I think when you think about the fabric of an organization like the Steelers, many Yeah, for the entire twenty first century Wolf and obviously Tounch. And you know, it's it.
Speaker 3: Can't say one without the other.
Speaker 2: I was just looking for the right way to say that, because I almost said it's funny. You can't you can't bring up one without bringing up the other. And it's not funny, but it kind of is. They would think it's funny. They know it's funny, and you can't.
Speaker 3: Talk about Burt without Ernie.
Speaker 2: Exactly right, come on, man, exactly right. And so obviously Tounch got in a few years ago. Now Wolf joins him. I'm sure those two are having a stogy up in Heaven tonight to celebrate. And yeah, you know you, you know this, you and I when we have these conversation conversations, I tell you this all the time. Hall of honors, hall of fames, things like that. They're museums. They're museums of the sport. They that's how you tell the history of the organization or of the league, whatever the case may be. And you can't talk about the street the Pittsburgh Steelers for very long without the name Craig Wilfe No.
Speaker 3: And I was first exposed to him again as like an eight or nine year old kid when he got drafted and quickly took over as a starting guard on the very end of you know, right after the Super Bowl era. Unfortunately for Wolf, if he'd got drafted two years earlier, he'd have a ring, but obviously not his fault. But quickly became a starter. Stood out even like as an eight or nine year old because the hair and the personality and you know, he looked a lot different then. I mean he looked at a wild man look about him and was very, very personable and played hard and you know, he tells crazy stories like he ran down on kickoffs and in high school. Rob Gronkowski's dad and Lex Luger were teammates of his. Yea like Lex Luger was one of the running backs that he's blocking for, not to mention all the stuff he did during his career. Shortly after with like his gyms and World's Strongest Man, I mean, like one of the strongest human beings walking this planet.
Speaker 2: He came like fifth I think, yeah right right in the battle, yeah right.
Speaker 3: I mean he fought Butterbean, who people might not remember Butterbean, but he was kind of like this king hippo dude from the Tyson punch out thing that everybody knew. I mean, he had an unbelievable athletic career, but particularly obviously as a Pittsburgh Steeler starting guard. Then finished the season or his career with the Vikings, you know, for a year or two, as people do, and as you said, immediately comes back embraced with open arms. And then everyone got to know him on the air and all these things too, you know. And then my first time working with him, we hosted a Wednesday night show that I still do, and then obviously it's training camp and things like that. But I was on the air with them a ton and considered him a really good friend.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I would not have to mention.
Speaker 3: All the light of light stuff and charity stuff unbelieving.
Speaker 2: I mean, when you think of a you know, a life well lived, when you think of a full life, I mean, Wolf is got to be right at the forefront of that conversation. You're right, such an interesting guy, such an interesting background, his athletic career, his right and and boxing and world's strongest man and all this, you know, all this different stuff. And yeah, of course just a all time eater. Of course, as everybody knows, who uh there's there's not many things that Wolf liked more than food. There were a couple, certainly, but you know, maybe football and family on the shortlist there. But just a guy with such a such an energy, such a passion for life, right they you know, Tounch and Wolf would always talk about every locker room has, you know, adders and subtractors and dividers and multipliers. Wolf was a multiplier man through and through and uh, and we still we still miss him all the time. But I'll be very happy, you know, for his wife, Faith, you know who I know fairly well. She's an amazing person, and it's is continuing to do great stuff in Wolf's honor. You know, obviously we know we know, uh, some of his family, some of his kids pretty well, his son, one of his sons, c J, worked with us for a long time as an engineer, producer, guy behind the scenes. We love CJ. You know, his daughters, his son Kyle, who is who is the marine who's stationed in Germany that Wolf was always so proud of and I've been fortunate enough to meet a couple of times. I don't know if it was announced today, Matt, what the Hall of Honor game will be, because honestly, there will be a you know, there'll be a halftime ceremony at some point for all these guys to get officially enshrined. At some point for a home game this season, it will be the Cincinnati Bengals game on Sunday the twenty seven. Thanks to Ed True for pointing that out to me. I know the Wolfly family will be there well, represented and that will be a very cool, richly deserved moment for the entire Wolfly family.
Speaker 3: And we could talk probably spend the next we're gonna be on the hour or on the on the show here till six. We could probably spend the entire time just telling wolf stories and different things we enjoyed with them. But one comes to mind as we sit here and slightly cloudy, But do you do you know the wolf stuff?
Speaker 2: I think I know where you're going with this. He was petrified of. There weren't many things he was scared of.
Speaker 3: Fearful human being. I mean he was. I mean it was one of the last guys I'd ever want to meet in an alley or something like that. But I guess the Wolflies as a family, him and his siblings and all those guys are petrified of lightning because they've got hit a lot. They have like this history of getting hit by lightning. I don't know if it's something in their blood. Do they have a little more like iron or magnesium or something that's or they just big people and chances are he's going to hit him over you because he's got one hundred pounds on it, right. I don't know, but I always thought about that. Here. He was always fearful, especially here because so open storm would come. He's like, how do I get that cafeteria to eat? Because I like to eat too, but I don't want to hit my lightning.
Speaker 2: He was so scared to go outside. And you know, the first couple of years that I was working with him and with all of you guys, Matt, when I was still doing I was doing a little on air stuff, but mostly behind the scenes stuff.
Speaker 3: We did it in the locker room mostly or early on within the contra.
Speaker 2: Correct and uh. And this was in the days where our broadcast location was still outside we were set up. Because at that I don't miss those days. I don't miss those I don't miss those days either, because they would do the morning show at that point, and they would do it out in like the Fan Experience era when all the fans where you know, when the gates would open and the fans were rolling in and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: And a lot of the fans, but they could also get in the way when you're trying to do especially when it rains, and they're like this, come into the tent with you.
Speaker 2: And every time it would rain, or there'd be any type of weather threat. Wolf would like, he be like and Touch would just be laughing at him. Tounch would be like, have his hands up behind his head, like leaning back, and he'd be like, dude, just relax, what are you so worried about. He'd be like, you see all these big trees around us, They're gonna str the lightning's going to strike the trees first before.
Speaker 3: It that light post that's like super high and begging to get hit. But I don't know. There must be some reason. I guess him and his brothers and a lot of them been.
Speaker 2: Hit without a doubt. You know, well, you we've said this before, Matt, and we'll say it many times again, like we'll never telling stories about Dale and about Wolf and about Tounch. And we'll do that as long as we're fortunate enough to sit in these chairs. So Wolfe's memory was always gonna be remembered around here, obviously, but I'm glad that it's now enshrined in the history of the organization forever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you probably I should know this off the top of my head, but I think he passed right before last year's group was announced. Yes, you know, so basically got in as quickly as you can, you know what I mean. Great respect obviously, yes, for all.
Speaker 2: Three of these guys, absolutely, absolutely, all great contributors to the organization, all great contributors to the community of Pittsburgh and Western Pennsylvania at large. Big congratulations to Kevin Colbert, J. T. Thomas, and Craig Wolfley the Steelers Hall of Honor class of twenty twenty six. We're just getting started today. We've got plenty more ground to cover. We're gonna do some practice conversation when we return. We're gonna talk to Chris Hallick in the four o'clock hour. You know, we're going to get to your tweets in the five o'clock hour. Keep those rolling in as well. At West Leuler at Williamson, NFL. It is the drive. We are at Saint Vincent College, Chucknollfield. All part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage of the twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by Always Safe flagging and traffic control, making traffic safe again called four one two three oh one twenty three hundred, or visit us online at awsafe dot net for a quote today by FedEx the new power move independence health system expert care here Remax Select Realty visit Remax Select Pittsburgh dot com. The Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania visit go Laurel Highlands dot com. The Steelers Pro Shop, visit shop dot Steelers dot com and buy Coniente Pizza and draft house.
Speaker 2: Gear up with the latest game day necessities at the official Steelers Pro Shops. Get all the latest Sideline apparel, jerseys, terrible towels, authentic memorabilia and custom exclusives you can find directly from the team. Visit one of the Steelers Official Pro Shop locations located at Akerser Stadium, Grove City Premium Outlets, or the Tanger Outlets, or you can also always shop online. Gear up online at shop dot Steelers dot com. There's also a big, massive, official Steelers Pro Shop tent that they set up here at Camp every single year. Matt I went in there a little earlier in the week. I learned from a mistake that I made last year, okay, little peel back the curtain for you here. Last year, obviously we all know, Steelers played in Dublin. It was a lot of success. Matt and I were there. We had a great time. We saw a lot of our loyal listeners out there also having a great time, and we he had an amazing experience. And I obviously got some cool.
Speaker 3: Stuff while I was did pick up some good stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the Steelers Dublin Terrible towels were so I was like, I was like, I'll wait till I get to Dublin and I'll get stuff. Sure, Sure, And then there were no Terrible towels left. There were none of like the you know, like the fridge magnets and the stickers and all that kind of merchandise because it was all in the footballs because they were all gone so quick. Uh So I learned from my mistake. I went into the pro shop here on campus a couple of days ago. I got the France terrible towel and and one of the fridge magnets to throw on my beer fridge.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's like the it's the Eiffel Tower and black and whatter and black and gold, you know, it says Paris twenty twenty six with the Steeler's logo. So I, uh, you know, I I kind of fumbled it a little bit last year in Dublin. I came back with plenty of Guinness merchandise, yes you did, but not as much Steelers official stuff as I wanted. But I took care of business and got the France stuff already in the bag and secured here.
Speaker 3: Nice work, Nice work. I was actually kind of you mentioned it before, but I was actually they had the Paris stuff here already and all that kind of stuff too. And you know, it seems like it's so far away, but it really isn't.
Speaker 2: Honestly, it will. It will be here before we know it. The Steelers will be playing a preseason game here, what in about ten or eleven, twelve ish days. That's nuts too, That is that is nuts. Not this Thursday, but next Thursday. So that's what. Yeah, twelve days from now, the Steelers will be playing their first preseason game at home against the Packers. And yeah, it'll be September and the Falcons will be in town for the start of the regular season. Certainly before we know it.
Speaker 3: Matt, I'm not sure if the drive will be broadcasting from Paris. I'm not sure you're definitely gonna be there with the broadcast will.
Speaker 2: I will be there with the broadcast team, and I'm sure we'll be doing some type of stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sure something out of the ordinary, at least.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't think it would be quite like Ireland, though, where we were there for like four days and did shows every day and the DV a pub. Yes, the DV morning show was out there with us.
Speaker 3: I think it'll be a shorter trip as the road team.
Speaker 2: I think yes, because when you're the home team, it's it's obviously a little different than the road team. And that game in Dublin was decades in the making. And not that Steelers fans aren't gonna flock to Paris, but I think a lot of people had waited for that moment in Dublin. It felt inevitable for so long, and there was obviously a lot of hype and pomp and circumstance behind all of it. Rightfully, so it'll still be insane in Paris, but I wouldn't imagine that we'll quite be ratcheted up to that level.
Speaker 3: Like shocked. I'd be shocked like we were in Dublin. Different city all together, I mean, different field of the city. I'm sure too.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, the yinsers walking around with pints in Dublin were very at home. I don't know if it would quite be the same. It quite be the same, It quite be the same walking past the Louver in Paris.
Speaker 3: But it's gonna be a super cool thing.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be awesome. I can't wait. We were talking with our our buddy Michael mcquaide. You heard him on with with Max about about forty five minutes ago if you've been listening to our SNR coverage all day. We were talking to him a little bit last night. I was I was getting excited for for all the fun stuff that we got coming up this fall. But yeah, it's tough tough to beat a trip to to France for a game against the Saints. It's going to be a ton of fun. Matt wanted to get some thoughts you and I. You actually beat me here today by about ten fifteen minutes. Because final practice, first Saturday practice, we knew that the crowd and the energy here would be ratcheted up. It was also just final acclamation practice that usually is kind of a little bit more of a busier practice because they know the guys have the next day off, so let's really kind of get a movie today and a lot going on. I wondered if there was anything, you know, you and I were kind of up here watching all of it and hanging out chatting with Rob King in the process, anything from today's practice that you wanted to discuss. Were you watching the quarterbacks, were you watching McCarthy? What was kind of at the forefront of your mind today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm trying to take it all in, and it is a lot. I mean again, these aren't knocks on a Tomlin led camp. There's just more going on on, more blades of grass in this year than anytime I've been here.
Speaker 2: It's rough for my add man, I'm like, what am I watching? What am I watching? Wee?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really hard always to watch things on the far field, so I didn't even try to bother because there was plenty in front of us. I would have to double check. But it felt like there was a lot of special teams, you know, like the first practice I watched only had one period around five minutes or so of special teams. This one seemed like it was more extensive, more team stuff, you know, I mean, not breaking the rules and blocking in all those things. But it was eleven on eleven Watt versus Rogers. You know, there was top guys out there. I did watch the quarterbacks a fair amount, and some of the aller stuff, aller stuff that plagued him at Penn State plagued him today too. I mean, throws, you gotta make that just how do you not make that one? But he also has easy gas, you know, like the ball comes out of his hands nice, and he is a natural thrower of the football, and you know, his snappy release and can put a lot of RPMs behind it, you know, kind of like the Penn State scouting report. Yeah, and again I'm not knocking Howard, but Howard looks much more comfortable than Alor, especially like in a team setting. But he doesn't have that, you know, like if he They had this cool drill, remember we were talking about, where they brought out this massive net that usually you throw the ball into the holes for quarterback accuracy, but they used it to simulate like the linebackers to throw the ball over the cage.
Speaker 2: That they cam Hayward when he's right.
Speaker 3: So you want to put you could get the easy way out and throw a real blooper over there and complete it in the hole there in the zone, or you watch Rogers do at that ball is only a couple of inches over the bar, you know, because he could he could really generate RPMs. A drill like that shows the difference between Howard and Alur just in terms of throwing gifts, you know what I mean. One just has a snappier, easier arm, where Howard has to put a lot more air on that throw. And it doesn't sound like much, but that might be one step that the safety gets to the destination, which could be all the difference, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: It's probably we talk about arm strength.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, those were arm strength type throws. They're not deep balls. They're comebacks into traffic, you know, and if you more more of the line you can put it on the better.
Speaker 2: No, that was a that was a fun drill to watch because we were actually laughing at first. We thought, as you mentioned a lot of times, I think people know what we're talking about. The big quarterback accuracy nets, Yeah, you know, and there's different there's different holes on the the nets and quarterbacks do a rollout or things like that, and then they're trying to hit the target.
Speaker 3: But the actual apparatus is probably a similar size to like a soccer net.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say it's probably, it's probably it's probably close to ten feet tall.
Speaker 3: I would think nine or ten feet tall. Cam Hayward with arms up, you know, right.
Speaker 2: And h and Matt and I. When they first brought it out, we thought that they were going to be trying to throw into the netting, right.
Speaker 3: I thought they were going for the hole.
Speaker 2: And so it was Mason Rudolph, I think, who went first, and he throws it over the bar and we're like that wasn't very good throw.
Speaker 3: Geez, how'd you miss that bad?
Speaker 2: And then Aaron Rodgers comes up and does the same thing, and we were like, a.
Speaker 3: Right over the bar right now?
Speaker 2: I did it And I were like, man, did he really miss it that bad? That bad?
Speaker 3: I could hit the net?
Speaker 2: That one got away from him.
Speaker 3: There another drie I found interesting that I'd never seen the last staff do. And there's probably many of them. I mean, there's a million different football practice drills that these guys do across the league. But there was a pretty ordinary drill. It started. They were down like on the ten to fifteen yard line, going into the end zone, and they were having like running backs and receivers just kind of flare out, catch the ball as they're going into the end zone, go up and get it. You know, I don't think they were trying to make perfect throws. It was as if there was someone with them. Okay, I'm thinking nothing of it. It's like they're pretty simple routes. Throws, catch, go up and get it. The receivers are out there, the tight ends, running backs, and then I saw the Gold Jerseys coming out there doing the same thing, and they started in a different position. They started with their back to the end zone, but then flipped their hips not against an opponent, and went up and caught the football too. It's like, okay, we have quarterbacks throwing intentional picks here to the defense to help them with their ball skills too. You know there's something that stood out, like usually that's an offensive thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, but that that is that was cool. And you know what, it's like a it's a tough drill because you gotta find the ball. You got to get through the dummy.
Speaker 3: You know, if you will, if you don't cheat, you should start with your eyes on the guy you're covering, not quarterbacks, you know, right.
Speaker 2: Sure, that's a good that's American point. A little easy to cheat, but still a difficult drill without a doubt.
Speaker 3: And so there were some defensive backs that contorted and went up and snagged it and high pointed the football. Oh okay, they can do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, a lot of Daylan Everett. These last couple of days.
Speaker 3: Everett and Samuel have been talked about a lot a lot of area.
Speaker 2: And they were in a lot of the I shouldn't say a lot of it because that's that's an exaggeration, but in a few of the drills it felt like they were kind of going out of their way to give Everett the DK Metcalf matchup. You know, that's a trading camp thing, like here come, young guy, you know, go up against go up against our number one. And they've they've had their battles, but Everett's held his own, and there's been I think a good kind of like camaraderie back and you can see them after a drill going off to the side and kind of talking about it. It seems like, and we saw this last year, these first acclamation practices. To Matt, seems like Aaron Rodgers almost like really going out of his way to target DK Metcalf to get you know what I mean, to get that, to get that connection, to get that Wi Fi back up Between the two of them, It's there's been a lot of Aaron Rodgers to DK stuff in these in these last couple of practice.
Speaker 3: Yes, and Pittman looks the part real quick on Everett. I mean, just from a scouting perspective, he looks very long and fluid, just as an athlete, you know, which is obviously very important for that specific position. Another note, you know, with the receivers, Roman Wilson is currently pretty high up the depth chart.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, he's been all over the place too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when they have three receivers on the field, he's out there a lot. I wouldn't say he's the third or but he's out there a lot, a lot of buzz about him too. I'm excited to see him in pads because I think that's a real test for the smaller receiver types. They're built with speed and finesse. Lineman, it's really hard to it's tough talked about much of anything.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, like, we've Jennings Dunker has been running with the threes and he's he's looked the part and he's he's looked like.
Speaker 3: He uh he the ginger in.
Speaker 2: The ginger Yinser, which which which we love that name certainly. But there's like I was laughing too, because he's he's done very well. I think, like you said, without the pads on, it's really tough to it anyway, but it also feels like jennings Dunker has done really well. He made I think it was Jacobe WindMan hit the deck today at one point too, and I had the old Tounch joking in the back of my head, you know, I'm like, Okay, that's nice to see he's doing it with the freeze though.
Speaker 3: But it's like they say, he's down down the depth chart.
Speaker 2: Now, if you can't beat the stiff, you are a stick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a great line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I'm sure we will see jennings Dunker. He'll get an opportunity to start moving up that that pecking I think that's not a rare thing to see the Steelers make all these guys, earn it doesn't matter if you're a third round pick, if you're a first round pick. But yeah, once the pads go on next week, Matt, I think you and I will start talking about the offensive line much more, and certainly the defensive line too.
Speaker 3: Dunker. His style of play is physical, padded, you know. I mean he should shine or even be better in that environment than this environment.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, well said. Well, we'll close with some final observations. Close down this first hour of the show with some final observations from practice number four. All of the moving and shaking on campus today. A little bit quieter in terms of the grounds crew. There is somebody out there right now doing a little mowing and a little cleaning up.
Speaker 3: But yeah, a lot of groundskeeper news to give you at the time.
Speaker 2: They are Peyton lines though on the other side you see that on the far side field over there, and they're not using got the motive? Do you think the robot got a DFA to use a baseball term? Did they send them back down to the minors That robot did struggle. We'll see if he gets a chance at redemption. We've got plenty to get to as we roll along here, Weshuler Matt Williamson. It is the Drive Live at Training Camp Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: Twenty twenty six. Steelers Training Camp on the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bod Light, Easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by Clearview Federal Credit Union. For every touchdown the Black and Gold Score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life Mission. Visit CLEARVIEWFCU dot org. Easy home exteriors, fast, reliable and affordable Schneider Downs discover the value of big thinking with a personal focus. US steel Mine melted and made in the USA, your neighborhood Forward Store and by the Steelers Pro Shop. Visitshop dot Steelers dot Com.
Speaker 2: Backhi Top Chuck Nolefield here on the campus of Saint Vincent College, West Yuler Matt Williamson. Sorry about that elongated break there. Some you'll have those. That's what happened, Matt. You were bragging too much with these nice, new fancy headsets that we have.
Speaker 3: So excited about the new equipment that the old equipment doesn't want to do its job.
Speaker 2: The new equipment's doing. The old equipment's given us some grief here, as we got some in these last few minutes while we've been getting back on air. We've got some darker storm class yeous little ominous here on this love it when, love it when it joke comes all right circle here absolutely as it is. Uh, still still a fairly nice day here, but we do have some some ominous clouds rolling in. Thanks to thanks to our guy Ed for uh and and Justin for helping us get this, uh, this whole situation figured out. Here, we got some prop airplanes flying over.
Speaker 3: I always forget about this here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really cool.
Speaker 3: I mean we're so close to that airport and they are always little playing you know, you think about like mister Rooney flying in, you know back in the day. You know, it's so cool it is.
Speaker 2: And I remember one of the first years I was out here, Matt in a working capacity, so it would have been I think like eighteen or nineteen. You know, they have the Westmoreland Air Show right down the road every summer, and that's like serious bombers and like military aircraft. They're involved in that too. It's a big deal. And I don't know, if it was a scheduling mistake, if it was a mishap, if it was the only way they could work it out. But they actually had the Westmoreland Air Show on the day of a Steeler's practice. I don't know if you remember this, I do, but it was the most distracting thing I've ever been because there's like blue angels like bombing over campus while Ben Roethlisberger's trying to find a b and they haven't done that since, because I wonder if they were like, all right, hey, let's not have this. And I think it was on a Saturday, so practice was crazy. I mean, traffic by the air was just traffic chaos.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the most traffic ever in this area of the country is just you know, total yeah, perfect storm.
Speaker 2: Absolute chaos. But that was a really cool experience of like watching watching Benthrow darts while you had you know, like military airfare coming over the over the over the airways there and uh and so yeah, so uh so a lot that's been moving and shaking out here on the grounds. Okay, we think we got our situation all secure here. We're gonna take a quick break here. We'll be back for our full four o'clock hour will be joined by our buddy Chris Halleck here before too much longer, A lot to get to on campus hour in the books, Two more hours to go, Euler Williamson. It's the Drive Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network