Speaker 1: Hey there, folks, it is Friday, October the seventeenth, and before you book your next Airbnb, do not watch this movie. That's number fifteen on our horror hit list. And with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. We continue to count down to Halloween our favorite horror movies that maybe you have not heard of and Robes this is one. This is one who features a director we love and an actor we love, and a story and a movie that has This is a fairly new one to be on our all time favorite list.
Speaker 2: Yes, the release date was twenty twenty two. The name is Barbarian And it's funny because I've never actually really figured out what the title or how it relates to the actual movie. Yeah, I don't actually get it, but I don't have to.
Speaker 1: I was about to give you some da I thought I was gonna give away too much of the movie. We'll talk about it after.
Speaker 2: I mean, sure, it's Barbara, maybe that's it, of course, But I just I would never have thought that this movie would be the movie under the title Barbaria.
Speaker 1: That's a good tease. That's actually a good tease for the movie that's really good.
Speaker 2: So that actually I've never been able to put those two together. But the runtime an hour forty two rated ar horror, mystery thriller, And here is the synopsis. Folks traveling to Detroit for a job interview, a young woman books a rental home, but when she arrives late at night, she discovers that the house is double booked and a strange man is already staying there. Against her better judgment, she decides to spend the evening, but soon discovers there's a lot more to fear than just an unexpected house guest.
Speaker 1: Hey, stop right there. What would you do? Right? Set up the scenario and obviously you go, well, obviously I wouldn't stay there. But if you're desperate, middle of the night, it's storming like crazy, bad neighborhood, you don't know where to go? What would you do if some sleep in my car a charming guess tries to hook you?
Speaker 2: Do so, obviously I would not stay. I love horror movies, and I know how they begin like this one. But it's funny because this has gotten rave reviews. We'll go through all of the numbers, but the few audience members who didn't like it, this was one of their biggest issues with this film, this scenario, lots of people making continual bad decisions. But the argument is that is the basis of all. Yes, there are two things that have to happen to set up any good horror movie. You cannot have any sort of technology reception. Number one, you cannot have a working cell phone or working Wi Fi of any kind. And number two, your characters have to make stupid choices.
Speaker 1: That's the joy of a horror movie. If you don't get that already, that's the whole point your psycho. Psycho would never have been made had that movie been made this year, because all she had to do was call on her cell phone to get help. There's nothing to talk about. So yes, what it grabs me crazy that people do have. It's fine if you're a critic and you need more high brow, more realistic stuff. But it's a horror movie and it's depending on young, beautiful, hot people making stupid ass decisions in the woods.
Speaker 2: So it's funny because all of the critics agree with you. These were just audience members. The only people who found any sort of flaw with this movie were people who obviously don't understand how horror movies work.
Speaker 1: Maybe they're thinking, we're the ones that don't understand this should be art.
Speaker 2: This isn't reality based, this is fantasy. That's part of the fun.
Speaker 1: Fantasy.
Speaker 2: I have to suspend logic sometimes when you're watching these movies, and sometimes it's fun to scream at the characters because you know they're going to defy it.
Speaker 1: How boring of a horror movie. If you don't get to yell, don't go in there.
Speaker 2: Or walk away, necessarily drive away, don't turn around and walk into fear. Yes, that is exactly a part of the experience. So anyone, yes, yeah, no.
Speaker 1: Take that into account if if you are bothered by people making bad decisions in a horror movie, this movie is over in twelve minutes because there's no continued.
Speaker 2: Scenario, right, because the truth is, yes, any young woman, I don't care what the weather is, I don't care what the neighborhood looks like. I have a working vehicle. I am not going to spend the night with a person I don't know.
Speaker 1: What if the guy, though, is as hot as this.
Speaker 2: Guy stars guards this is pretty cute. There's three of them, Bill, I can't keep them all straight.
Speaker 1: And the dead as well, yeah, I think it was, but yeah, maybe when you see him, he's a little charming, he's a little quirky.
Speaker 2: No, he's a little so Ted Bundy was cute too. No, thank you, I no, no, there's no scenario in which any young woman would stay there. But suspend that logic and that real life scenario. And the movie is phenomenal and the box office agreed forty five point three million. The budget was around four and a half million, so they ten times over made their money back. And the cast is stellar. Georgina Campbell as the young woman who made a decision none of us would have made, is awesome. Bill Scarsguard, as we just mentioned, is phenomenal, and yes, our beloved Justin Long and then Matthew Patrick Davis is in it as well and plays a pivotal role. Yes that eventually is that comes into the scene and is just terrifying. Director that you mentioned, Zach Kreiger. If you don't know his name, you know his work if you love horror movies, most recently a little film called Weapons that We Love that got ninety three percent on Rotten Tomatoes. You know, I love when directors like m. Knight's like this certain director Stephen King's like this. When they like specific actors, you'll find them repeating in different roles in different movies. I think it's cool.
Speaker 1: Ryan Coogler now and Michael B. Jordan. Yes, they are a powerhouse duo.
Speaker 2: I love that when a director and an actor know that they work well together, it's awesome. And companion ninety three percent. We loved that movie too. That's another recent one of his.
Speaker 1: So He's horror. Yes, absolutely, that was probably if we had thirty five movies that might have made the list.
Speaker 2: We we had to let so many go just because we thought they were too well known perhaps or too recent. But this one was just so good we had to include.
Speaker 1: It isn't Georgina Campbell. If you all don't know her name, you'll know her face. She's becoming that horror queen. Like there are certain actresses who just nail the horror genre. She is one. She's had some credits to her name now that she is making her way up the chain, and right she happens to be one that we were yelling at, don't go, don't stay at the AIRBNBC was a black woman. Right. Oftentimes we're looking at people make stupid decisions in movies.
Speaker 2: They're white, is that what you're saying.
Speaker 1: Well, black folks are yelling at the screen like, no way we would do that thing. And this happens to be a black woman.
Speaker 2: That's funny. So yeah, she was in The Watchers, which is m Night Shaumhum's Daughter's bird Box, which was also a good one as well. And we watched this Tim t I which is similar to Companion a little bit. It's about an AI generated scary situation.
Speaker 1: We watched that. Remember it's it's Megan but with an adult Yes, robot if you will, Yes, exactly. You know what. Everybody watched that movie Tim, right, if you get a chance, go watch this movie Tim. And Georgina Campbell stars in that one as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, she is so good. She's gorgeous. She is an up and comer and becoming like the ultimate final girl right in all of these horror movies, girl, but in this movie Barbarian Rotten Tomatoes score ninety two percent. Man Zach Kreiger is nailing it. He has got in the nineties here in the last several horror movies he's put together. But Rotten Tomatoes score of ninety two percent audience score of seventy percent. And again when I went and looked at the audience reviews, it was this whole notion that they were upset that people made bad choices.
Speaker 1: Okay, I want to hear some of those.
Speaker 2: Yes, we'll get into it.
Speaker 1: Seventy Yeah, that surprises me.
Speaker 2: Surprises me as well, because how many times have we watched this movie.
Speaker 1: It's literally on right now in the background as we're sitting here.
Speaker 2: We love it, all right, So critics consensus, here you go, smart, darkly, humorous, and above all scary. Barbarian offers a chilling and consistently unpredictable thrill ride for horror fans.
Speaker 1: Yes, unpredictable is you don't know where this thing is going.
Speaker 2: And that was part of the frustration some audience members share.
Speaker 1: They didn't know where it was going.
Speaker 2: They didn't like where it went, and they thought it was silly when it ended up being revealed. And I disagreeheartedly. I was scared from start to finish.
Speaker 1: Well scared, yeah, but it also ultimately it ended up making sense. I like when there's some even Darth Vader right, his darkness, it came from a place of love. He actually when he was created Darth Vader was in love with a woman. His woman died and it turned him into this monster, but it was all about him trying to save the woman he loved. That sounds crazy. No, this is one of those things to where you have this whatever supposed to be the bad guy, and you know it's coming from some place that we can all relate to. I love movies that do.
Speaker 2: That, babe. I want to bring it up. I actually have chills right now with what you just said. You didn't read all the reviews like I did.
Speaker 1: I haven't. This is the one you put together, so I'm hearing them all for the first time.
Speaker 2: So one of the audience members who didn't like this movie you didn't like okay, and I didn't put it in because I thought it was so far fetched that he connected these two. But you just did it. He said, I hated he gave it zero stars, and he basically said, I hated it as much as I hated Star Wars. He literally likened the two and I didn't put it together, and you just did. So I just had a kind of a that's funny, holy shit moment when you just said that, because now I understand why he was upset at the movie.
Speaker 1: Why upset at that though he didn't like.
Speaker 2: Star Wars, he was not gonna like this what yes, he said, he put it in the same category. So the fact that you just likened the two and connected them with that same notion behind the evil that must have been where he had an issue. That's so interesting.
Speaker 1: The Wars came out in nineteen seventy seven, and for all those years of these six movies, Darth Vader's just a bad dude. He is the worst of the worst guys. And then in the last in those six movies, we found out Darth Vader did all this because he was trying to save the woman he loved from certain death. So he was trying to get all these mystical powers so he could save her life. When that came together, I'm like, oh my god, my whole life, I've been watching this and thought this about this guy, and it's coming from a good place even though it went bad.
Speaker 2: Isn't it cool when we can try to understand evil man?
Speaker 1: But to know that, I know we're going to a little too deep on Barbarian in Star Wars Rose, but the idea that everybody we look at in life. Even if you just ask a question or get curious about where it comes from, you have a different level of humanity. This is a horror movie and a horrible thing. That's the antagonist that you find out, Oh there's some humanity in it. I love it to say. You hate that being the case.
Speaker 2: Because people want to hate hate. They don't want to understand it, and they don't want to actually in any way romanticize it or try to justify it. And I think that makes it hard for people because it complicates things that they want to be easy. But I did not think we were going to have this conversation. But until you just said that, light bulb was off in my head. When I read one of the comments that I didn't understand that makes perfect sense. Wow, I'm kind of having a holy shit moment. All right, all right, let's let's go to some of the critic reviews, which were pretty much unequivocally glowing. Okay, so here's one of them. At its best, it is inventive and unpredictable, with a nervy visual style that takes note of the lurking evil beneath the banality of its domestic space.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because the airbnb looks like most not over the top decoration, that cute, Yeah, nothing to it. And then as a part of that same home is another world it created that I didn't put it together.
Speaker 2: That's like a modular home that is banal. I never thought about that a way to describe it as that, But that's so that's what kind of it flips on its head, because you're like, it's just some basic ranch in some depleted Detroit neighborhood where someone tried to do a fixer upper to make some money on an Airbnb. But and yet, okay, the next review, I have a couple one liners because they were just succinct and perfect. A twisted, sadistic, hilarious, bonkers and downright insane movie.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely, and justin long is a big, big, big part of that because you don't know where the movie's going, because there's some ridiculousness with it. Does it seems like a side story almost You're like.
Speaker 2: Wait, where did this just go? There is a point in the movie where it just completely flips and you actually are wondering what am I am? I watching the same movie.
Speaker 1: You almost think you're watching the wrong movie.
Speaker 2: At the beginning, did somehow Netflix or wherever I'm watching this just switch movies on me. You actually are shocked that you're watching the same movie. Okay, yes, next one. If you like intense, incredibly stressful horror films, this is right up your alley.
Speaker 1: Even before the horror shows up there there's tension with I mean even that the storm and her trying to get out of the rain and go to an airbnb and where is the key? And now I have to call all that stress you feel.
Speaker 2: You totally because you've been like in a similar situation where you're not sure if you're in the right place, if you don't know if you have the right address, you're unclear why the lock box doesn't have a key in it. All of that all right, here's the last one from the critics. And I thought this was so cool. When I say that I enjoyed this movie, I mean that I had many times where I laughed in delight about the writing, the acting, and the direction. I was smiling ear to ear at the end of the film. I thought that was interesting, given the fact that this is a twisted, creepy horror movie, and yet I got what this critic was saying.
Speaker 1: Some of the thrills in this and the jump scares are more rollercoasterish, meaning when you get on a roller called you expect to be scared. Here comes the big drop in these things. Even when it happens in this movie, it's fun. You don't feel necessarily scared. That's not a terrifying My skin's gonna crawl, but it's a fun. Oh my goodness, I can't believe they did that to me.
Speaker 2: Love it. All right, So when we come back, because we had so much fun talking about Star Wars and Barbarian, we'll get to the audience reviews, including a hilarious bad one that I have to read word for word, and then we'll get into why it made our list, who it's for, who it's not for, and what to Pairrol with. All Right, we are talking about number fifteen on our Halloween Horror hit list, the movie Barbarian. It was released just three years ago, and I can't wait to watch it for another decade at least. This movie is just awesome, And so we just went over all of the critic reviews. I'll start with the positive audience review, but then I have to read you this hilarious bad one. So the positive one, which I thought was pretty cool, and I saw a lot of them that looked like this from just regular folks who watched this movie. Nothing ever really scares me, but this one. I can't even walk in the house in the dark now.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Ha ha ha ha ha. Good movie, great acting. I agree. I think that's such a good point. All right, here was the hilarious bad one.
Speaker 1: Do you agree with it at all?
Speaker 2: No? Okay, but it just made me laugh. All right, Buckle up because I just watched Barbarian and I feel like I got personally scammed by Rotten Tomatoes and everyone who told me this movie was brilliant and so unexpected unexpected. Yeah, I unexpectedly hated every second of it. This movie starts off like your typical creepy Airbnb set up. Cool, Fine, I'm in. Then it proceeds to drag its feed for what feels like an hour and a half of the main character doing absolutely nothing but ignoring common sense.
Speaker 1: It's a horror movie. Why, what's the point? There is no horror movie if you don't make bad decisions. Name the best horror movie ever made?
Speaker 2: What? What?
Speaker 1: What's I mean? Go through any omen? Go through the omen? Why are you here at three in the morning trying to adopt a mystery child that was born.
Speaker 2: And lie to your wife saying your kid didn't die.
Speaker 1: You know that's not gonna end with the logical name another one, Friday thirteenth, The Greatest Out. Yes, people go to sleep and they wake up. Did Okay, let's do that.
Speaker 2: You want to go with the Exorcist?
Speaker 1: Exorcists? Oh, my sweet lord, baby Jesus, the baby just peeded in front of a group of people at a dinner party. I'm just gonna send it back up to go to leave. Things are wrong. You have to in every turn. You have to make a bad decision. Now, there's a great bad decision in here that even for us and watching horror movies. Right, you're at an airbab middle of the night, mister guy upstairs. You're downstairs looking for something, and there's a door.
Speaker 2: Don't go in it.
Speaker 1: You're in the basement and there's a door that looks like it goes into a cellar. Obviously nobody's hell know what everyone else is. That's a sweetheart. If she didn't, I'd be mad because it's a horror movie. Go down there and let's.
Speaker 2: Do this exactly so whyatt made our list. Incredible acting, phenomenal twists and turns. You can't figure out who the villain is for the first two thirds of the movie. Half the movie for sure, and man do we love us some justin long Oh he's great.
Speaker 1: Even his character takes some twists and turns that you don't necessarily see coming, but he is solid throughout. What is that? Who this one's for?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that was why we liked to bet it's four Who it's for? Who would you say this is for?
Speaker 1: Well, as far as I can go with the first, uh, why we like to this where the acting in this thing is is incredible And I do think Georgina Campbell and the scars Gard kid they have some chemistry that really lends itself to the tension in this movie because some part of it you don't know whether to go, oh, that's cute or watch out.
Speaker 2: I wanted them to get together. I wanted them to be a couple. I was like having rom com vibes in the middle of it.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, you're screaming, I don't know about this guy, Georgina, get the hell out the house. I loved love that whole thing. Who's this one for? This is a great Uh wait it was the next question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who's it for?
Speaker 1: Who's it for? Mmm? You know this is a if you're a fan of like award winning acting, and I'm saying that all these performances don't deserve oscars. I'm not going that far, but all of these people have very significant credits that you need their performances to pull the and scarsguard. I've seen him in a bunch of stuff. He was the clown in it.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, that's one of his more notorious.
Speaker 1: He has another one where he's a monster in as well. He just has a look. He was in a John Wick movie as a bad guy. He I see him playing this role differently than the others because he's a little sinister, but he's almost goofy.
Speaker 2: He's like boy nex door stuff.
Speaker 1: Yes, and almost a cluelessness to him that he has to deliver and it's so important.
Speaker 2: To there's an affability about him, yes that he nails. Yes, Yes, so I would say yes. If you like creepy, suspenseful, and scary movies with innovative storytelling that takes you for a ride, enjoy, you will love it who it's not for. I can only base it off of the bad reviews I've seen. So if you're someone who can't let go of characters making bad decisions, or you're quick to call a storyline silly, then then don't watch this movie.
Speaker 1: Because I don't watch horror movies. Don't watch You're not a horror movie man. If you need it to make sense, it's not gonna make sense.
Speaker 2: That's true. If you need it to make sense, you probably don't like horror movies anyway.
Speaker 1: And you're also gonna hate the next couple we have because the next couple of movies make even less sense than this one.
Speaker 2: All Right, food drink pairing. I went with a bottle of wine because remember the scene.
Speaker 1: That's the only thing I got for you.
Speaker 2: Yes, they share a bottle of wine. Yes, want to share a bottle of wine with the person you have sitting next to you. And I think this is a popcorn flick because it's just entertaining as hell, And every time I want to just have fun but also am intensely watching something, this isn't like fun, like who fun? This is holy shit fun? So popcorn works for all of these.
Speaker 1: There are some sometime we talk about eating and food, so people have meals at the theater. You know, I hate doing that, but I hate paying attention to anything else. I hate looking down at my plate for just a moment, or trying to dress the fries or what.
Speaker 2: You don't like when people next to you order food and you have to kind of hear them eat.
Speaker 1: God, that annoys you, but it's also a distraction to me and a very critical moment that I have to hear something that's opened or.
Speaker 2: What we love us in Alamo. But yes, you do have to deal with people next to you chomping on like chicken fingers.
Speaker 1: My point here is this is one where you don't need to you don't look down, like just put your hand in a bucket and eat the popcorn. Kind of a thing you have to pay attention and it is a great experience to have with people because you will now there are little details you need to hear, but this is one. If people are screaming at the screen in a moment, you're not missing anything. You're still experiencing that moment.
Speaker 2: And there are some screamable moments where you're like, oh my god, no, so I actually put this in fun to watch with the group. Lots of jump scares and creepy, opinion inducing moments.
Speaker 1: Yes, there are times when people do stuff so stupid you want to get up and leave the theater. It's like, this is not this is.
Speaker 2: Dumb, and it's a fun way fun.
Speaker 1: It's fun.
Speaker 2: It's fun, all right. You can watch this on Hulu Disney Plus. You can obviously tell by our enthusiasm this is one of our all time favorites. So please please please check out Barbarian, our next movie, which will drop tomorrow. Some people may question our choice on this, but we stand by it. It is a foreign film, yep, we love to watch it dubbed. I just think it's fun anyway to watch dubbed. You can watch it with close captioning as well, but we discovered it one morning almost by accident. I would describe it as funny, campy, and has some of the best death scenes we've ever seen.
Speaker 1: Yes, I would also describe the best death scenes that we've ever seen juxtaposed with the goofiest, the most bizarre funny scenes. Like it's two totally separate movies. Those things should not be in the same movie together. And it's a confusing. Yes, fun ride in a.
Speaker 2: Way that only this genre of horror movies can actually pull off. Yes, does that make sense?
Speaker 1: I love this is one. Okay, folks, last teas on this one. This might be the one that gets people to question us. Out of all thirty we have, this is the one. Like, guys, I was with you until that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they'll be like, I watched that one and I hated it, But we're okay with it because we stand by our next one. Anyway. Thank you for listening to us on our number fifteen Barbarian on our Halloween Horror hit list. There is so much more to come. Thank you for listening. I made me Robock alongside TJ. Holmes. We'll talk to you soon.