Speaker 1: What's up? Everybody?
Speaker 2: Welcome into a Friday edition of Texans All Access from the Hunted Texans Radio studio John Harris alongside the Voice of the Texans, Mark vandermir Mark Dan.
Speaker 1: God, it's Friday. How are you doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm doing great, Johnny Friday, indeed, and weird still with no football during the weekend, but we have football every night here at six o'clock, and you and I are going to be at the Combine next week.
Speaker 1: Can't wait for that.
Speaker 3: I guess Monday we'll do a little combine best of stuff, not really best of the year's past, but maybe our combine memories. What's important about the Combine this year for the Houston Texans. Can't wait for that, can't wait for the whole thing, because.
Speaker 1: Everybody's fired up. Everybody I talked.
Speaker 3: To is already fired up. For twenty twenty four September. We have to kind of chill a little bit here, as difficult as that is, because I'm fired up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we are both fired up. There's no question fired up to go to Indy. Love going to Indy. Just put this on your radar screen on Tuesday, February twenty seven, Tuesday, we will sit down with Demiko Ryans, so we will have that Protections Radio for you that night. Wednesday night, we will sit down with Nick Cassio. So Demiko Ryan's Tuesday, Nick Cassario. Wednesday. They will both meet with the media that day and the last thing they will do before they move on to the rest of their day is sit with us and record, so we can have that for you. So Tuesday, Demico Wednesday, Nick. But this is Friday, so we got a little bit.
Speaker 4: I got a couple of other things to promote as well.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, all right, So I'm gonna sit down with the other voices in the AFC South. This is an exclusive club. Sorry, Johnny. Uh, I understand. Put the sock on the door.
Speaker 4: We're gonna do the Voices podcast.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: It's really my Keith that puts it together for the Titans, but we hijack the audio. I'll put it up here at some point, So we're gonna do that. Uh. There's also an ESPN so called draft Expert. Now this is awkward for me because I don't know if you want to be part of this or not. But he's booked at a certain point on Wednesday. I think it's Jordan reed, Okay, he's not happy about it.
Speaker 2: I mean, okay, this is like you know, one on one folks, you know what this is like.
Speaker 3: This is like telling your wife it's not as bad as what you think I'm about to say.
Speaker 1: Who booked that for you?
Speaker 4: It's just the ESPN.
Speaker 3: It's just like it's just like telling her, I'm gonna go for a home cooked meal over in this house. Yep, Okay, it's not as bad as what you thought I might say, but.
Speaker 4: It's kind of I guess it's kind of bad.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I wanted to get in there good graces because I'm trying to get some other guests through them, so I wanted to say yes, you know, it's kind of it's like sales. I wanted to get a little sale going and go for the bigger enchilada later.
Speaker 2: So that'll be a one on one that you will hear probably Thursday or Friday of of Combi Week.
Speaker 4: Jordan's okay, he's fine. You didn't say somebody else.
Speaker 3: While Johnny's catch you go with Brad Shad Voice of the Cowboys by himself, We're gonna stray a little bit here.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, I am gonna sit down with Matt Taylor, which I've done that every year, you know that. But well, we'll probably get the voices from around the NFC North. We typically catch up with Jeff Joniak and Paul Allen and we play them this year, so it'll matter. So there'll always be some surprise guests that really kind of pop out of nowhere. One year, I think it was last year. Last year was Max Stark's. Yeah, he sat down with you. I came over. I was off watching you know where such you know where I got him. Well, I might have got him because.
Speaker 4: Their table was right on the other side of us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I got him at the combine and I also saw him at the owners meeting.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 4: Yeah, good dude.
Speaker 1: You know whose cousin is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you told me this. I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't either. He told He was the one who told me. He gave me the whole recruiting story. Because for those people who don't know, Max Stark's offensive lineman Pittsburgh Steelers for a long time did a tremendous job of Steelers had gone to Florida before that, I actually coached against in high school and he was six eight three point fifty, the biggest individual I've ever seen, and I mean he is a massive individual, but you talk about bright and smart and fun, huge, this great dude, great on the air.
Speaker 4: So Travis Johnson's cousin.
Speaker 2: So I finally I get a chance to meet him, and I tell him about we coached I coached against you. I tell him some of the fun stories fro him that I remember. They weren't that fuck because we got beat, but just some funny stories looking back.
Speaker 4: And he was like, I remember some of this. So we we chopped it up for a while.
Speaker 2: And so I asked him about being recruited at Florida and he says, yeah, well, I don't know if you know the whole story.
Speaker 4: Do you know Travis Johnson. I'm like, do I know trap Ja?
Speaker 2: Yes I do, And so he gave me the whole story about how they were supposed to go together, but Max lived in Florida and Trapp lived in California, and so the time difference kind of messed everything up, and so Trapp just commits to Florest State.
Speaker 4: Max thought they were both going to Florida. They wan ended up Florest State.
Speaker 6: One.
Speaker 4: I went to Florida.
Speaker 2: Really interesting story to hear from the Max Stark side of things. So yeah, Max Starks was last year as well, So we always have an interview like that that pops up right, real fun.
Speaker 1: Great Casel will stop by.
Speaker 2: I'm sure, like you said, we'll get all the AFC self voices, Frank Franjie, Matt Taylor, and Mike Keith.
Speaker 1: They'll be on.
Speaker 2: So we get all kinds of stuff from the combine, So you definitely want to stay tune, not only next week of the combine because we get so much stuff. Sometimes things get pushed, yeah, to the following week, so that second week, as you start heading towards franchise tag vill and getting ready for a free agency, you start getting ready for that.
Speaker 4: So that leads me. Oh and then tonight to also promo how we spend like five minutes promoink Indian Cecil.
Speaker 2: We'll have that a little bit later. Got to listen to the Texas og podcast. That's where you get the full podcast. We'll have a snippet for you. And then my former co host, our good friend, host of Texans pre and post game, Sean Pendergast. Sports Radio six ten will sound with Mark that'll be a little bit later in the show to get Sean's thoughts and some of the things happening in the NFL with the Texans and all that going on.
Speaker 4: But Mark, I'm gonna hit you with a number to start out me.
Speaker 2: Okay, Now, it's kind of a seemingly random number. Thirty four million, six hundred eight thousand, thirty four million, six hundred and eight thousand. That could be a lot of things, a lot of things. But in your mind, can you flash back to nineteen ninety four, think back nineteen ninety four.
Speaker 4: It's a long time ago, both of us NFL context of nineteen ninety four, that was the first year that the league had a salary cap. Wow, the salary cap was thirty four million, six hundred eight thousand.
Speaker 2: Thirty four million, six hundred eight thousand. There are players with that as their singular contract.
Speaker 4: More than that. More called and said that's not enough.
Speaker 2: Right now, I bring that up, thirty four million, six hundred eight thousand.
Speaker 4: Keep that number of mind. Thy four million, six hundred and eight thousand.
Speaker 2: I now give you two hundred and fifty five million, four hundred thousand.
Speaker 4: That is the twenty twenty four salary cap.
Speaker 1: You should be.
Speaker 3: Able to invest in the salary cap like it's a fundah and be able to grow your money, right because.
Speaker 4: COVID would have got you, but you would have got been fine after that, Oh yeah, COVID would have. COVID got back, but not as bad as say real investments like two thousand and seven, two thousand and eight meltdown or y two k at least briefly in the last few years until twenty twenty three.
Speaker 3: So there, that is awesome growth right there. The revenue streams. We just had the most viewed Super Bowl ever. The league is doing so well and pre nineteen ninety four. Nobody wants a history lesson, but this is worth mentioning. Somebody sent us a video. Who it was on our Texans radio thread, the San Francisco forty nine Ers plane video.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yes, yes, who posted that on our time?
Speaker 3: But it was interesting because I bring this up because the forty nine ers in their heyday with Montana winning Super Bowl Eddie de Bartolo, the owner of the team, would treat the players so well, yes that today that stuff would be considered cap hits. Absolutely all right, you cannot pay for their entire families to all go to Honolulu. Yeah, you can't do all that stuff. He would shower the players with gifts, lavish experiences the team playing back in those days. For back in those days, it was ridiculously good and you could do some of those things. But you can't do all of those things like he did. He got in a lot of trouble for it, or you.
Speaker 4: Know, some of it retroactively.
Speaker 3: But you had people pointing this out as you went into a cap era, that you cannot give benefits like that.
Speaker 2: Well, the the Oilers were one of the the opposite of a beneficiary. They were hamstrung with the salary cap because they had to release a number of veterans, including warm Moon at the time, because they would have been.
Speaker 1: Well over the salary cap.
Speaker 3: I mean that's even that nineteen ninety three season of the Turmoil season.
Speaker 2: They had all kinds of players with money and they just had to start siphoning players off and away you go. You know, I got on the sidelines to twenty fourteen. This past year was my tenth year on the sideline. It's going until eleven, twenty fourteen. The cap is one hundred and thirty three million, dollars in ten years, it's nearly doubled. Yeah, that's unbelievable. In nearly ten years, it has doubled. In the thirty years since it started in nineteen ninety four, it has gone eight times higher than the thirty four thousand, six hundred thirty four million, six hundred eight thousand and started with.
Speaker 3: So the cap is based on revenue, right, you get a percentage of the revenue. Correct, players are only over fifty percent of the gross revenue. But there's some ifs in the there's some there's some gray area and then but anyway, go with me on this. Think about how television has changed in the last ten years.
Speaker 2: That's true, and that's the big that's the probably the biggest driver of.
Speaker 4: All of this. We've got into a streaming era.
Speaker 3: We've gotten to the point where to the TV networks, the most valuable thing by far, and it was then too, is NFL football, but it's gotten even more valuable to them. It's the one thing that can get eyeballs no matter what.
Speaker 4: And streaming too.
Speaker 3: Look what happened with Peacock when they streamed the playoff game, the most streamed event in history.
Speaker 4: So you know where we're going with this.
Speaker 3: The league is so immensely popular, way more popular than the other sports, way.
Speaker 4: More popular than anything.
Speaker 3: Else other than Taylor Swift now, way more popular than anything else. So it's going to get the top dollar and they can leverage, negotiate, do whatever they need to do to keep upping the anti from the TV networks and whoever else is giving them money, gaming companies, et cetera.
Speaker 4: One reason I brought this up, We'll get that in a second.
Speaker 2: But Tom Pealosara tweeted this, NFL not today salary cap will be two hundred and fifty five point four million per club, with an additional seventy four million dollars per club payment for player benefits, which includes performance based pay and benefits for retired players. That's huge, That's pretty awesome. It was an un When the NFL put out statement, it said that quote an unprecedented thirty million dollar increase per club in this year's salary cap is the result of the full repayment of all amounts advanced by the clubs and deferred by the players during the COVID pandemic, as well as an extraordinary increase in media revenue for the twenty twenty four season. It should have followed with thank you bezos, because that was a pretty that's a pretty darn big number. And apparently Amazon's going to stream a playoff game and I think it's one hundred and fifty million for one playoff game.
Speaker 4: Well, what happens to the peacock game? I'm not sure about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know about that at that story, does does one replace the other?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 4: How does this all become relevant?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 4: I know what a lot of people are gonna say, Well, you got the money, spend it. They're giving it to you, Go spend it. You have sixty nine seventy million dollars a cap space. We've talked about, you know, those those sort of things. But I want to bring up this because what also came with the salary cap was the setting of the franchise tag.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I think those numbers end up becoming really interesting because of the players the Texans have that are free agents. Because I after I saw these, I went, wait a second, I might I might think about franchising that particular play. Oh yeah, so I looked at it and went, now, a couple of them. I don't know that I will, but a few of them. I looked at it and went, I think I might think about this. So here we go. Franchise tag amounts.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna give you first of all, first position defensive end, all right, so that would be Grenard.
Speaker 2: Okay, the tag cost is twenty one point three million. Now you hear that and you go, oh boy, that's a lot of money.
Speaker 3: No, No, that doesn't sound like crazybody to me. For a really highly skilled defensive end. He backs up double digit sacks. Very reasonable as a matter of fact.
Speaker 2: Considering Brian Burns wants thirty per Yeah, what I mean between one point three I mean, you franchise a guy and you try and figure out what's gonna be your long term you know, situation. But that buys you some time to be able to negotiate even further all that kind of stuff. But you at least we have the one year for twenty one point three million. That was the first one that stood up to me. I was like, well, that's not I know, people are so listen.
Speaker 4: You have to take what we just talked about and now move your thinking ahead a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got to move your thinking ahead a little bit, all right, So for.
Speaker 3: Those who don't know though, because there are a lot of people listening. I hear franchise tager, I know what it means. What it means is it takes them off the market relative for one year. Yeah, it takes them off the market. Now, other teams could possibly trade for that franchise player, correct, but they have to give you a max. It doesn't have to be a minimum, a maximum of two first round picks, and they get the player. Right, and they have to get the player, they have to pay the player the contract. Now, the contract amount is the average of the top five salaries at that position.
Speaker 4: The franchise tag is the top five.
Speaker 3: The franchise tag amount. When you do tag a player, the sporting thing is it means you're trying to negotiate a long term deal, but you want more time to do it, and you want to take them off the market to do it so you can arrive at that conclusion. At the very least, you're gonna get that player for that year. Now, they did this with Jadeveon Clowney, and a lot of people were complaining at the time, people meeting outsiders saying, are you really interested in signing him long term? Right? They ended up trading him, right. So with a player like Jonathan Grenard, I suppose. I mean, it's always an option with an unrestricted free agent, So it's an option for him and.
Speaker 4: We'll see if they do it or not.
Speaker 3: Usually it means hopefully that you're trying to negotiate a long term deal before you tag them. You can't come up with the agreements you're gonna tag them, take more time.
Speaker 4: It does take him out of the mix.
Speaker 3: That means the Falcons or whoever else can't come up and offer him a deal without making that trade for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're exclusive franchise tags non exclusive, so with the exclusive it's up to you guys to come up with a deal. If not the player signs this franchise tag, you have him for one year and then you move on.
Speaker 4: If you get the.
Speaker 2: Non exclusive, that was what Lamar Jackson was tagged with. He had the opportunity to kind of go out there and see what was out there in the market and see what was available and see if there was a team that was willing to give up the two first round picks and then sign Lamar. Looking back, there are probably a few teams that would say, man I wish we would have done it. I think all teams thought, Okay, we're negotiating good faith, but yeah, we got a feeling that whatever he gets from us, he's going to take back to the Ravens. The Ravens are going to match it and the way they go. So we're essentially doing all the negotiating for the Ravens.
Speaker 4: Wasting time in the process. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: So the one year franchise tag costs for a defensive end will be twenty one point three That caught my attention, Like, in a second, that might be that might be something.
Speaker 4: To what about tight end? Johnny, do you have the number for two? And I'm glad you brought that up because that was the next place. Okay, because there's a.
Speaker 3: Certain tight end who's slated to become an unrestricted free agent here.
Speaker 4: That would be Dalton Schultz. So what do you got? Franchise tag cost is twelve point seven million dollars. Yeah.
Speaker 3: See, that's another one where you're thinking, Okay, if we can't come up with an agreement, presuming they want to resign him, that's a thought.
Speaker 4: That's a thought right there. And then obviously something that you brought that up.
Speaker 2: It's like of course, all of what we're talking about is assuming the team would like to have these players back. We're hoping they do, but you just never know. But you're right, that is a big factor. And it's twelve point seven million dollars.
Speaker 1: Would you do it?
Speaker 3: Look, I would come up with an agreement with him for that, maybe, you know, like.
Speaker 4: A three year thirty seven million dollars.
Speaker 3: Here's the other side off, and they want more than that. They want more than the average of the top five they feel like. And They'm just generalizing here because I don't know what these guys are thinking individually, and I don't know what Nick's thinking. I see Nick all the time in the hallways. He doesn't stop me usually and say, Manny, what do you think of this?
Speaker 4: Who we should franchise?
Speaker 3: No, he does not do that, And if he did, I would say, ah, it's up to you, because it's not my hide on the line here with all this stuff.
Speaker 2: One of the things to keep in mind with a franchise tag, it's a tag. It's one you don't get tagged, like, hey, we're gonna tag these four guys. No, you get you one. If you pick Grenard, nobody else can be fant gut feeling here because are those the two? Is there anybody else you would you do it with Nelson at corner?
Speaker 4: Probably not.
Speaker 3: That's kind of the corner. The corner corner number nineteen point eight million. See, that's that's a big chunk of change.
Speaker 4: That's that's uh, that's rich. Corners are valuable, but that's a big chunk.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 4: Running back, that's a big chunk.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: Running back eleven point nine twelve million, twelve million a little too rich for my blood. I would think it's it's too rich for my blood.
Speaker 2: I I mean, I do feel like, depending on what you know, if you you toss that line out in the water and you try and by it, especially running back, I mean, I think people throughout the city, I mean guys that you know, our guys at six ten talk about it at all the other radio stations, and you know, people in the media talking about obviously the Texas connections with running backs and and all that. I feel like the running back number is not going to be far off. For some reason, the NFL just has that kind of number in mind that it's gonna be I think, to get a to get a bona fide you know, running back that has pelts upon the wall. That's kind of a you know, I don't say one name kind of guy, but like Saquon, Derek Josh Jacobs is a little different. But you're gonna have to pay I think thirteen to fourteen million at a minimum per year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because of eleven and changes. The average of the top five, Well, those guys are all in the top five. Henry would say I set the market at the top five. Barkley can claim no better than second in that. I would think overall, although maybe a healthy Barkley at this point in their lives.
Speaker 4: If you could guarantee health.
Speaker 3: Henry or Barkley and forget about the Texans for a moment, Team X, you might take Barkley at this point.
Speaker 2: Yes, age absolutely and passing game impact multi dimensional. Yes, I like that word multi dimensional. It's exactly what Saquon Arkley would be. But I feel like the running backs are kind of going to be all around that number. Again, I've used this as sort of the because it's the most recent one I can think of. Jonathan Taylor signed a contract Week three or four of this particular season.
Speaker 4: I can't remember what it was.
Speaker 2: Three years forty three million dollars with the Indianapolis Colts. I've been with the Colts. He was coming off an injury, but they knew he was the bell Cow. They gave a bell Cow number one running back. Yeah, top three in the league three years, forty three million dollars.
Speaker 1: And I've asked the question before.
Speaker 2: Now knowing that the franchise tag is twelve point seven, and you wouldn't put a franchise tag on on motor at that rate, I don't think no, But just to give you kind of a gauge, I think that thirteen million dollars is about right where you know, kind of where you're gonna have to pay for, you know, a so called premium.
Speaker 3: For Jacobs Henry Barkley thirteen to fourteen.
Speaker 4: I thinks, yea exactly. I think that's what you look at that per year.
Speaker 2: Now again, once you get a long term contract, you can structure that contract where you're taking cap pits however you want spread the bonus out. You can front load it, backload it with cap pit whatever you want to do. Most times you backload it, you know, so you take a lighter cap hit now, so you could satisfy things and you pay the credit card bill later. We know teams that have kicked that cane down the road and now it's coming back to bite them a little bit.
Speaker 1: Quarterback, I know that's not in our Before.
Speaker 4: You get to quarterback, what do you have inside linebacker?
Speaker 2: Okay, this is interesting because I thought the NFL was going to change this. But they were going to change this. They have linebacker at twenty four million dollars. What now that seems to.
Speaker 3: Be that's outside linebacker, pass rusher, top linebacker.
Speaker 2: I know exactly, so that's I thought they were going to separate those.
Speaker 1: But I guess, but does.
Speaker 3: Anybody ever franchise an inside linebacker a middle linebacker?
Speaker 4: Does it happen?
Speaker 3: It must, but I probably don't the of my head, right it's all it's all in their cars right now, thinking of what about no call.
Speaker 4: In just kidding?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So yeah, twenty four million, it's the second rate one, but it's not it's not separate and it's not separated, and I don't know, I don't know why.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Wouldn't it be great if you could use cap room that you have today sort of a what's the college fund called? What's that number on the state college fund where you're saving up for your kids college education. Oh, five thirty five, I want to say, yeah, yeah, yeah, five thirty eight, Yeah, something something like that. All right, so you use that against the cap? Now, can we put away a few million a year on the cap for CJ's contract.
Speaker 2: You're saying, like, use ten million dollars of cap this year, ten dollars or ten million dollars a cap room next year so that you can have twenty or thirty applied?
Speaker 4: Do I like the way you're thinking?
Speaker 3: By the way, how quarter nine it's the five to club thirty eight is the is the website that's close?
Speaker 1: Uh, just to.
Speaker 4: Kind of give you an idea.
Speaker 2: Quarterback franchise tag now, I don't believe that any quarterback will get franchised. Your unrestricted free agents are Ryan Tannehill, Kirk Cousins, Jacoby Brissett. I don't think anybody's getting a franchise tag at thirty eight million. I mean, kirk Cousins has had it before, but I don't think it carries over to.
Speaker 1: A new one much.
Speaker 3: Tua going into year five three, Yeah, he's going into year five, So they got to make the decision. They're going to tag him, obviously, because you don't have to. But you have to decide whether you want him pass this year, and do you just go ahead and play out that fifth and let him hit the market.
Speaker 4: Then you tag him next year, though, I mean a lot.
Speaker 2: My guess is to his agent's going to ask for whatever Justin Herbert got, whatever Joe Burrow got, And I know that the Dolphins come back with Burrow went to the Super Bowl. Yeah, but what about Justin Herbert? I mean Tua. Tua's done more than Justin Herbert's done. I think it's pretty close. I mean, one went to the playoff and lost the wildcard. One went to the playoff, lost the wildcard. I don't know yet.
Speaker 3: People have more faith in Herbert seemingly, and I know he got hurt this year, but Tua until this year had not been able to stay healthy.
Speaker 2: I mean, thirty eight point three million dollars, Hey, franch We're gonna franchise to a Tonguo at loa. I I mean, I'd much rather if I'm the Dolphins, I'd much rather extend him. Let's go four for one sixty eight, that's forty two per he say yes to it. I guess maybe not.
Speaker 3: You want to know a troubling number for Tua this past season, fourteen interceptions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's but at least that number was higher than the concussion number, which is good because you didn't have I don't think you had a concussion this year, which is I mean, seriously, it's good you didn't have that concussion. But I don't think anybody, I mean, would Tua take four one sixty eight, No, probably not so at that point, she continued, going, you're like five at two fifteen. I mean, if you're the if you're the Dolphins, you're like, yeah, we're just gonna play us on the fifty.
Speaker 3: Para Johnny, I bet they sign him. They sign him, They find a way to come to an agreement with them. They don't want to go through quarterback on certainty going into twenty twenty five, they're going to sign to him. They come up with that agreement.
Speaker 5: That one.
Speaker 4: We have to keep track of our predictions, because.
Speaker 3: Will be if I bet never mind bat if I throw for a sixty three percent completion clip on my predictions, that's pretty good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, if.
Speaker 2: You're right, they wouldn't tall, you wouldn't tag two this year, you would.
Speaker 4: Extend him, you'd extend him. He's going into year five.
Speaker 2: His cap hit this year's nine point six million. I might try, and I'm not really try and squeeze.
Speaker 1: One more year out of him, but this is me.
Speaker 4: Well, squeeze one more year, but then you're risk kidding the market or.
Speaker 2: Having a tame back. My bad, my bad, I read the wrong year. His base salary is twenty three million.
Speaker 5: Go to this year.
Speaker 4: That makes more sense.
Speaker 2: So I still probably make him play on that twenty three million dollars and risk whatever on certainity you have coming next year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can tag him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's messy, as Lamar like, you don't want that kind of off season.
Speaker 1: But are you sold?
Speaker 4: I just don't think you give a guy an extension until you're fully.
Speaker 3: Maybe they come to an agreement because they feel giants.
Speaker 2: You think the giants are happy with looking back and Brian Dable, No, you're happy to give Daniel Jones that contract? He'll know and two has been better than Daniel Jones.
Speaker 1: So I don't know.
Speaker 2: I too, I'm what I might do. Let's see if we can get him extended. Let's give him this contract offer and see what he says. He says no to that, Well, let's cool off. We'll back off.
Speaker 3: And to say, all right, who tweeted the stack comparison between Trevor Lawrence and Daniel Jones and eye popping. In fact, Jones looked almost as good in every throwing category and he blew him away obviously in the rushing yards.
Speaker 4: Yeah, category, that was pretty interesting.
Speaker 3: But Jones can't stay healthy. That's a big That's exactly right. He can't stay healthy, and that is a bad thing. What's not a bad thing? Our two good friends, Indie Kalou and Cecil Shorts. That's next on Texans All Access.
Speaker 2: Look back to Friday edition of Texans All Access from I'm not at Texans Radio Studio. I'm your host John Harris, football analyst, sideline reporter, and as I teased, the Texas Og podcast by Indie Kalu is a wonderful listen and this week had a little Cecil Shorts stopping by. Here's a little snippet app podcast between two of my favorite Texas legends, Indie Kalu and Cecil Shorts.
Speaker 1: Indeed, take it away.
Speaker 7: The Houston Texans, our former team, very very entertaining during the season. I always call this the tough part if you're a general manager, if you're a head coach, because when you have the type of season you have with the Texans this past year, you fall in love with so many players. There are so many players that helped them exceed expectations. What do you think as a guy that played quarterback, as a guy that played wide receiver, as a guy that played on the defensive side of the ball, that understands the entire game, what do you think is the biggest need? What is the one position group that you feel like the Texans should focus on this offseason.
Speaker 5: Ooh, indeed, that's a tough one. It is. That's a tough one.
Speaker 6: But I'm gonna do this, and it may be cheating, but I look back at I look at the head coach, Dimiko, Right, where'd he come from? He come from? He came from the San Franisco for the Niners. What did they do in the draft when he was there? They went on and got Joey Bosa, They down got Eric Armstead, they went out and traded for the Forest Buckner.
Speaker 5: Like they take pride in.
Speaker 6: Their defensive line, and if I'm honest, their defensive line showed up and showed out last week.
Speaker 5: Yes, they showed up and showed.
Speaker 6: Out like the defense did their part of my humble opinion, it's only so much you can do to snow down Pat Mahomes.
Speaker 5: There's only so much you can do without helping him on offense.
Speaker 6: Right, So I look, I look at the d line probably for how he wants to be old as team. I look at that as probably the most important part. Now there's other important parts, but you need some true dogs in that interior defensive line and that detackle mode right that can that can be a possibly maybe a pass rusher or a guy that can fill a gap. And you're completely stopping to run right because to me, even if you signed Grenard back, say you got garnered and will Will Anderson, ju, you're great. What about that interior defensive guys. So I think that's gonna be huge, and that's gonna make him comfortable as a head coach, uncomfortabley a defensive play caller, like, Hey, I'm starting to build my defense up from that line on back, right, And I think that's honestly, if you look at today's game, it's built around the quarterback. So how do you affect the quarterback, well, you get pressure on the quarterback. How do you get pressure on the quarterback? Your defensive line has to be stout. They have to know their role, know what's going on now. So I would say d line is one, But I also think cornerback is.
Speaker 5: A big one.
Speaker 6: I think cornerback is huge. I think running back is huge. Now how do you address those?
Speaker 5: I don't know. It depends what you want to do.
Speaker 6: I think you should make a big splash, but you gotta be careful with that splash, as you know, you got to be the right fit for what's going on. It's interesting like their position now in the where nobody wanted to come here in free agency a year ago this time last year, ain't nobody trying to come here now with Demiko, with CJ, with the season they had. You have your choice and you have the money. You have your choice to bring in whoever you want. But you have to be particular because what Demico and Nick are and the McNair's are building, the culture they're having, it has to be the right fit. It can just be a great talent, it got to be a right fit for what this organization and what they're trying to do. Otherwise you can mess things up, right, you know how you know personally how one toxic guy can just be contagious and the wrong way and can ruin the locker room.
Speaker 5: Right. But I would say D line is number one.
Speaker 6: I would say corner and running back maybe two, aay and two.
Speaker 7: And to be what's tough about that question, Especially when you're as close to the team as we are. People take that as a knock. It's not a knock against any individual player that's currently a defensive lineman. But that's why I love the fact you brought up what San Francisco did. It's not about saying, oh, it's the D line because those guys aren't aren't playing well. It's more, you can never have too many defensive linemen. You can never as a guy that you know, most of my twelve year career, most of the years I was considered a second string player, but a role player because we just put different.
Speaker 5: Waves of pass rushers out there.
Speaker 7: So yeah, I don't care how great you're starting for or when you talk about defensive line, you could always have you know, big studs that are backing up Will Anderson backing up Jonathan Grenard. They if they're able to bring them, because you need those fresh pass rushers.
Speaker 6: Tell me, oh, you just said it. Tell me how important that is? Like, tell me how important? You know how hard it? Tell me how hard it is to stop when you played right, a fresh pass rusher.
Speaker 5: The tackles, we're not rotating tackles on offense, right.
Speaker 6: You're taking guards and the center on offense. So you got one guy coming at you, it's third down. You're bringing a whole fresh guy at his job is to bring pressure. Please tell us and everybody like, how important? How much of a advantage that is?
Speaker 1: No, it's huge.
Speaker 7: So during my years in Philadelphia where we had some nice runs, it was almost like tag team wrestling. So Hugh Douglas would just go out there and wear out an offensive lineman. We're out of offensive lineman. And as soon as he taps his helmet, that's saying, hey, nd come on, let you know, annou it's your turn.
Speaker 1: And I'm running out there.
Speaker 7: That offensive tackle is like, oh god, dag, here comes that crazy Nigerian dude with no technique, but he's one hundred percent high motor. After I had to deal with Hugh Douglas for thirty plays in a row. So now and not only is it importancy, so it's important to get guys to accept that role and understand who they are and what they are in regards to the pass rush. So now it's a it's a beautiful thing when you get everybody in place and understanding their role and just throwing those fat at those quarterbacks. Then when you look at the other side of the ball, here's where I get in a lot of disagreements with guys. And it's not that I'm knocking the running back position, but I've seen so many examples of success at the running back position where you didn't have to spend a bowtload of money, where you didn't have to use a first round pick. I've always been of the belief, if I'm a GM, if I'm a decision maker, the onus is on me to find production after the third round, like I'm just sorry or not signing a big free agent. I just feel like nowadays the days of Emma Smith Barry Sanders are over. You can use that two three headed monster at the running that position. I'm gonna get your take on that.
Speaker 6: I can't disagree. I can't disagree because you see signs of that everywhere. I think every team has a one two bunch or one two three right guys they feel comfortable what they can put back there. I watched the Ravens this year. God got hurt, they put another guy innother guy get hurt, they put.
Speaker 5: Another guy in. It's like, just hey, we're gonna get get guys going. But it's hard.
Speaker 6: Hard for me to look at the Texans and say, hey, if I can get say Climb Barkley at a decent price, that's hard for me to pass up on that. I want to keep it Singletary because I think him having a career year here and him being the productive way that he was, he was perfect for the system.
Speaker 5: It's tough for me because.
Speaker 6: I don't want to give up on Damien either, right because I think Damien can get it. It's just he's never been in this guy in that type of system. He always just downhill. I'm running power. I'm gonna run hard as I can through the whole. But it takes a little finesse, takes a little patience to learn that. Right, Arian was so dangon good because he was so dang on patient, he might be the smoothest running back in NFL history.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, smoothest, just I mean my dad would saying O. J.
Speaker 6: Simpson the juice and Gail Sayers or Washing Painton. This dude Arian was smooth, but he was patient reading the defense right. That's not easy to do. So I get it to ask your question, Yes, today's in fail. If i'm I'm with you, I'm not spending huge money on a running back because I think it's you're productive by running back by committee. I think that's the most productive way in today's game, especially when you have a guy like CJ. But it's gonna be hard to pass up on a special one in free agency for the right price in the same bank for Sinqua r not But if he will come for a certain number, I don't know what that number is. That probably depends on the GM. Right he comes for a certain number, man, you can't pass that up.
Speaker 7: The one running back that makes me question my own thought process in regards of running backs Christian McCaffrey. Like, when I watch Christian McCaffrey, I'm like, you know what I break the bank for? It just seems like he has a more of an impact than any other running back that's currently currently playing. And keep in mind, I'm not watching all thirty two teams every single week, but when for some reason the five or six games that I watched with the forty nine ers, and maybe that it was his best games, Christian McCaffrey's at one running back where I'm like, man, he truly does have an impact on the game.
Speaker 6: He's I would say him. I would even throw Derrick Henry in there.
Speaker 7: Today's Derrick Henry or two years ago Derrick Henry.
Speaker 5: Oh, I guess you're right, maybe two years ago Derek.
Speaker 6: Now, I'll tell him. Because McCaffrey can catch, Yes, he run routes. You can line him up in the slot, you can line him up outside. He can run between the tackles. I didn't notice about him until I watched him this year. He got some dog in them, like he got some he got some like he'll talk trashy, he'll get in your face, like he got someone that want to in him, which I appreciate, Like I just I love to see that.
Speaker 5: But he's probably the best back in the league right now.
Speaker 7: And I feel like I'm missing somebody by saying that. And I'll be the first to raise my hand, but oh I'm missing someone. But Derrick Henry, Yes, a couple of years ago, hands down. But right now, I think Christian McCaffrey, just like you said, as as small as he is in stature, even though he's very muscular and solid, he runs in between the tackles. But then you break him out, he lines up a slot receiver and he's just as dangerous. So yeah, correct me if I'm wrong. I don't know what running back out there has that same kind of impact. If Saquon Barkley can do that for the Texans, poof that, that would be a beautiful thing.
Speaker 5: Well, that would be huge.
Speaker 6: But you look at like tag him in with Singletary, Yes, you know what I'm saying. Like, so he doesn't have to have three hundred touches or three hundred carries. He can have you know, two twenty five or one hundred whatever, And Singletary can give you that break as well. So you can bring a guy in like say Quon or whoever at the right price.
Speaker 5: I think it got to do it.
Speaker 6: But I'm I agree with you. I think it has to be a committee type of thing.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: Two my favorites right there in d Klu and Cecul Shorts appreciate them for stopping Bigo. Check out Texans OG's podcast. There have been some great ones since indy started back in the summer. Some really really good stuff from nd Kalu and Cecil Shorts coming up next, Sports Rare six Tens Sean Pendergat stopped by for a long podcast. Make sure it'scheck out vander Meir's View podcast for that one. Great stuff with Sean and with this segment coming up, Sean talks about the NFL franchise tags, Texans free agency.
Speaker 1: All that kind of stuff with Mark van Mein.
Speaker 2: Next right here on Texans All Access, we are one final segment this beautiful Friday it issue of Texans All Access from the Honday Texans Radio studio. I'm your host John Harris, football analyst, sideline reporter and once the co host of One Shawn Pendergast who is now on the morning show Painted Pendergast Sean Pendergast on Sports Radio six ten Texans pre and post host as pre game of Seth Payne his morning show co host and then postgame with Clinch Sterner, who you can hear on afternoons with run show Hugley The Drive from to six at Sports Radio six ten. Now, Shawn and I started our radio career together. So this podcast that Seawan did with Mark Ghost for like an hour plus, it's great, and it talks about Shawn's background, which I know a lot about because Shawn and I started and read together two thousand and seven, which seventeen years ago, which is wild, but seventeen years ago, man, I'm having.
Speaker 1: Trouble with that.
Speaker 2: Anyways, They talked about Shawn's getting into radio, how he did all of that. But if you can meet Sean peddergass On, you got talk to him aboutootball, you got ask him about what's going on with the Texans, get his thoughts about free agency and everything happening.
Speaker 1: And Mark Vandimier did exactly that right here.
Speaker 3: Take a listen, all right, joining us Sean Pendergast, co host of Painted Pedergas Sports Radio six ' ten, longtime sports radio host.
Speaker 4: Sean.
Speaker 1: Welcome, good to be here, Vandy. This here we go. I get to be a guest in this studio.
Speaker 3: Yes, you're in the studio a lot, interviewing players postgame, talking to Clint Starner, talking about Texans victories. Lately, which is awesome after going through some tough time. So this year must have been so much fun.
Speaker 1: It was so great. It was funny. This is when I knew, like that Clint Clinton and I that the last few years had been rough. Clinton. I were literally getting on the elevator in our building one day sometime between the twenty twenty two and twenty twenty three season, and we ran into a lawyer in our building on the twentieth floor and we were we were going down the elevator together and we got talking. He knew who we were, and he knew that we did the postgame show for the Texans. And when we got off the elevator at the bottom and we kind of went our separate ways to go to the parking lot, the guy literally said thank you for your service, okay, you know, And I was like, okay, you don't need to be thanking us like we're you know, like it's combat pay or something. But that was a rough few years, you know that as well as anybody. And this has been amazing being in this studio talking up the Demico Ryan C. J. Stroud Texans has been and really the whole group. It's just such a great group of dudes. Man, it's been awesome. It could not be any better.
Speaker 3: It feels like, right, that's why I thought, is this the team of destiny?
Speaker 4: Is it gonna happen this year?
Speaker 3: As they were going on their late season into the playoffs run. Obviously it stopped, but the future is so bright.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's incredible. And then you sprinkling Andre Johnson going into the Hall of Fame like the cherry on top of just what was a great year, And I think a great night at the Super Bowl week, like I don't know, like I I my feeling in the moment maybe got swept up in it. I thought that was the greatest night in Texans history when when Andre goes into the Hall of Fame, which is like the closest thing we've got to a super Bowl right now that the city can celebrate, and CJ and Will kind of winning those two awards, but kind of affirming what was also a really good night a year before that in the draft. I thought that was sort of an epilogue to that. Yeah, it's great, right, this is fun and we're in free agency and it's fun to be It's fun to know that the Texans are a team that when they call people, they're gonna be picking up the phone. I think it's gonna be a destination for a lot of guys.
Speaker 3: I heard what you said about that night, and I thought, and you know how I like to weigh in on.
Speaker 1: These You're the history, and I checked with you first.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, I think it's fine.
Speaker 3: But as far as non game day, game night situations, it's definitely in the top five, maybe top three, maybe top two.
Speaker 1: With the draft.
Speaker 3: Because I think you said it well, it's bookends to the magical season of twenty twenty three. Would you look at the draft night and then look at that night at NFL honors? What could be more validating for you picking ZJ. Stroud than moving up investing in that pick to select Will Anderson Junior, and bang They're both being honored on that night and Onray Johnson's getting into the Hall of It would have.
Speaker 1: Been a great night if just one of those two things had happened, you know, the two Rookie of the Year awards being won and Andre being the other, and the fact that it happened just all within minutes of each other was so cool. I'm still waiting for the Internet if they've made this already, let me know. But I'm still waiting for the internet to take kind of one of those like a like a still shot or a short video of Will and CJ hugging backstage at the draft, and it sort of like morphing into the hug they had, Oh yeah backstage after winning the Rookie of the Year award, you know kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Were you bitter or disappointed or what was your reaction to Dmico Ryans not getting Coach.
Speaker 1: Of the Year In the moment, I was, I was disappointed. I was okay. In the moment, I was surprised. I thought Stefanski was going to win it. I was surprised it was as close as it was. Okay when I saw that it was, and I would have voted for Demiko, but I just thought it was a regular season award. The votes were all in before that win over Cleveland in the playoffs, So as far as I mean, that's the closest thing you can get to ahead to head matchup for an award is Week sixteen. Two coaches who everybody's talking about for that award at the end of the year, and we know what happened in that game, so I thought Stefanski was gonna win it. But boy, when I saw the tweets about it was tied in overall points and Stefanski won it on a first place vote. In the moment that night, I was like, oh, well that stinks. Boy, it would have been really cool. I've actually gotten more bitter about it since then. I'm like, the more I think about it, I'm like, that would have been an amazing night. Caught up in the moment of everything good that was going on, I didn't want to get disappointed. But now I've had a couple weeks to let it synk in, and now I'm like, damn, Demiko should have gotten that thing.
Speaker 3: My beef with Stefanski is you've won it before. What's happened since then? Everyone makes a big deal about four quarterback starting games. I know they had the fifth and the meaningless game, but the four quarterbacks, and I'm thinking, well, you had two last year. Yeah, so he had less injuries at that position and a worse record, So what's the problem with last year or the year before? But I get it. I get how this goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gonna be harder for Demiico to win it. In year two, even though he's listed as one of the four or five favorites like he's I think he's tied for fourth on the board. I check these kind of things, as you know, I think it's gonna be harder for it will be harder for him to win it because I went and looked and other than outliers like Stefanski winning with four quarterbacks, or like Bruce Arians when he was substituting for Chuck Pagano who had cancer, like other than, like you know, just strange circumstances. Almost by rule, it's either a first year head coach who way over achieves, or a longtime head coach or a veteran head coach I'll call it, who has one of the two or at worst, like three best records in football. So Dimiico can win it, But the Texans are gonna need to go fourteen and three or something like that.
Speaker 3: I was just gonna say fourteen and three would be a record that I would think would be necessary for that award. He's put himself at a higher level now where the expectations are there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is a great thing for the franchise. I mean, ultimately, if he wins zero Coach of the Year awards in his career, but we get a couple of Super Bowls. Who cares? Who cares if he goes fourteen and three against this schedule? Yeah, holy smoke. Wow, Yeah, it's gonna be a fun schedule man. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well it's funny because twenty eleven was a real breakthrough season for them.
Speaker 4: Twenty twelve, that schedule was pretty tough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as you looked at it laid out there, you had the Ravens coming in a lot of similarities Packers. I know, they lost to the Packers that year and they end up going twelve and four. Right, they were eleven and one at one point, as you know. So who knows. I don't know how it's all going to play out. We don't even know who's on the team yet. People are asking me how they're gonna do. I don't even know who's on the team. Got over thirty free agents you gotta deal with.
Speaker 1: Yes. Yeah. The way I look at the upcoming season is the level of quarterback play that you're facing is much much higher. And to contextualize it, like Burrow and Lamar Jackson were the two best quarterbacks they face this year. Who is the third best like Baker Mayfield, Trevor Lawrence, Flacco.
Speaker 3: Maybe look going into the year, Trevor Lawrence was this dangerous rude and we don't look at him the same way, but he could possibly have a bounced back.
Speaker 1: And you thought Aaron Rodgers was going to be on the schedule, and this and that, right, there were other games. Cj finished fifth in the Pro Bowl for the AFC was a second alternate, so there were four quarterbacks ahead of him for the Pro Bowl. He eventually ended up going. This is where I'm going with this. The four quarterbacks that were ahead of him are all on the schedule this year. So you're talking about the third best quarterback of the entire schedule this past season being maybe Baker Mayfield or Trevor Lawrence. They play Lamar Jackson, Patrick Mahomes two a Tongue Ba Looa and Josh Allen. You can feel however you want about two or whatever. But he's in that mix. And then then Rodgers Lawrence twice. Yeah, and then go over the NFC. You know you got Dak Prescott on there, you got Jared Goff, Jordan Love had a nice second half to the season. That game's in Green.
Speaker 3: Bay very tough. Yeah yeah, dak in the regular season is tough.
Speaker 4: We all know that.
Speaker 1: So do Are you hoping for Thanksgiving?
Speaker 3: I am, but I'll be okay either way.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: I think that everybody who plays Dallas or who has Dallas on the schedule thinks they're gonna play on thanks tonight.
Speaker 4: We're gonna be there for Thanksgiving. It's gonna happened.
Speaker 3: I love that the Oilers were there during one of their AFC Championship game seasons and they beat them. I'd love to be able to do that on a Thanksgiving Day. That'd be phenomenal. So I know you feel the same way you.
Speaker 2: Have thought about this whole Thanksgiving Day thing.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Every team that has the Cowboys as a road team always feels like they're gonna get Thanksgiving game.
Speaker 1: It would be a great Thanksgiving game.
Speaker 2: I know that, But I don't know either way. I just want to go up there and beat them. Beat them. Went up there in fourteen, couldn't do it, went up there in twenty two, couldn't do it. Twenty four has gotta be the year that we go up to Dallas and beat the cowboys up there.
Speaker 1: That will be a fun trip.
Speaker 2: Nonetheless, it was a fun trip with Sean and with Mark of course with all of you guys. A big thanks to Indian Cecil. We'll see you guys on Monday as we get ready to go to the I'm buying see that everybody does. Always go Texans m