Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg. Evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Pania, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: Do I have any doubt about the Chiefs beating the Lions? Never a doubt, Give me a break. They're gonna be just fine. So no, I'm not worried about it. I am flatly not worried about it. Why does no one understand what's going on with the Chiefs except me? So I'm not worry worried about the Chiefs at all. Everyone right now except for me, it would seem, is freaking out about the wide receivers. They will be fine. This tattoo is gonna go down as one of the greatest sports prediction tattoos. Ever, we'll see if I end up being right. Welcome in What's Right with Nick Wright Episode two sixteen, our annual edition where we discuss the Chiefs winning the Super Bowl. It's a tradition around here. Demons is dressed for the occasion and it is a unique spot to be in where simply by believing in Patrick Mahomes, I get to be the rightest man in sports media. The eight is it's it's as if I cut I covered physics one hundred and ten years ago and I just kept betting on Einstein and people are like, how do you do it? What's your secret? And it's like, I don't know. Is the best we've ever seen? And he seems pretty good, all right? So welcome in a lot to do today. There's a winter storm in New York City that has appeared to have some impact on our internet, which I know can be spotty and frustrating for people at times. I think we've got it figured out. If you're watching live on YouTube and there's an issue, I apologize, but we will get the full episode up and I think we're gonna be fine. Demons won money on the super Bowl. Demons won money on the teaser the teaser. By the way, either way the teaser you wanted to do would have hit. The teaser I convinced you to do needed overtime to hit. I almost cost you on that, but the Chiefs won. So I want to talk big picture and then about the game, and demons will jump in and out with questions and thoughts. The big picture, we just showed it Patrick tweeting never a Doubt. So I'm gonna talk about me and then the big picture, I guess. And I know that there are some people wondering was that coincidental. I don't want to reveal any confidences, but one hundred percent not coincidental. And in fact, you know what, Patrick won't be mad about this. Patrick hit me right after the Ravens game and text me never a doubt. But and then next next one, but still more work to do and I and I'm not ashamed to say this. I will be totally honest. I said to him. I was like, hey, man, I think I called him a legend, and then said, if you wanted to tweet out never a Doubt, it wouldn't exactly be bad for me. And then two hours after winning the Super Bowl, he puts that on Instagram and ig and text me I told you, I got you. See you at the parade and it's about as good as it gets. Guys, I'm not gonna lie to you that Kansas City's very small town even when it's athletes are the biggest stars in the world. And right after the greatest athlete in Kansas City history, arguably the greatest athlete in NFL history, and we will see where he goes down in all of sports history. Right after what I consider the crowning moment of his career, the fact that he shouted out what we do on the television show and my never wavering support was a very cool moment. So big picture wise, why did this seem so obvious to me? Not that the there's never an obvious Super Bowl champion, right it's single elimination. These games are close, they're one score games. But why did it seem so obvious to me that the Chiefs were being written off in a way that was baffling, and that they were as viable as any team. And now everyone is catching up to it, but it was they had the three biggest pieces you need for any Super Bowl champion in any era of football. They had a legitimately great defense that just became one of only a handful of teams in all of NFL history to never allow twenty eight points in a game. In fact, that defense only allowed twenty five points one time all season, which puts them up with some of the greatest defenses we've ever seen. So that was the first check mark that being overlooked. They had an unquestioned great coach that was in the argument and now is unquestionably the best active coach in the league and one of the greatest coaches ever. And a quarterback who, while I do not think quarterback wins are a stat, I do think there is such a thing for a quarterback as knowing how to win. The reason I don't like quarterback wins as a stat it's a you know, weaponized against certain players or used to laud others, is because there are so often in the NFL a quarterback does everything he needs to do, leaves the field with the lead and never sees the ball again and takes a loss. Or when we saw throughout some of this regular season, a quarterback could play great as Mahomes did and his teammates let him down like happen in Week one his offensive teammates. But what I do think is a real thing is recognizing the type of football that is demanded in given situations and rising to that occasion. And what you saw from Patrick Mahomes on this arc of the postseason was Week one of the playoffs, Wildcard Round against Miami. What it was going to take was for him, as the tip of the spear, as the leader of the team, to look totally and completely unfazed by negative thirty degrees. And he did that by opening and redid it by calling three straight passes, by opening the game upstdying we are not changing anything. And that game was won, in my opinion, by the mentality of Patrick versus the mentality of two in the Dolphins, from Mike McDaniel to Tua to Tyreek to everyone, they looked like they didn't want to be there, and the Chiefs looked like, at it's a little chilly out here. What that game took was that you were going to have to show up and just pretend it wasn't the coldest football game of your life. The next game against Josh Allen and the Bills in Buffalo, what that game was going to take from Patrick was perfection. I am going to have to make the big throws down the field, run the ball. I am going to have to make zero mistakes, and that's exactly what he did. I am not gonna have a ton of the super short stuff or the super deep stuff, but because of the injuries to their linebackers, I am going to be able to live in the intermediate part of this field, and that is where he lived. The AFC Championship game in Baltimore, the moment the Chiefs, Patrick needed to come out guns blazing and put the pressure on Baltimore. He did back to back touchdown drives the moment that happened, and then the Chiefs got up ten. What that game took was punts, don't turn the ball over, don't get greedy. As long as every time I have the ball we're up more than one score, all I need to do is make sure I don't give them a score. And in that game, he did nothing the entire second half until the one possession where it was a one score game, the final possession, and then he uncorked a perfect thirty five yard throw down the middle of the field that should be noted. When the Chiefs lost to the Eagles and MVS dropped the game winning touchdown pass and everyone wanted Patrick to kill him. Patrick went to the podium and said something that I think even I was like, oh my gosh, you might be taking this accountability thing too far. If you remember, he said, I could have thrown it a little bit shorter, and we all ignored. We all are like, give me a break. It hit him in the hands, he was reaching forward, him in the hands. Fast forward two months later, the biggest throw of the season up to that point to MVS, same coverage. What does he do. He doesn't lead him. He throws it a little bit shorter to where the ball almost catches MVS where it were, it lands in his chest to where it's almost undroppable. And then the Super Bowl, what was it going to take from Patrick Mahomes? It was going to take go ahead, Demansey.
Speaker 3: Go, I'm gonna take some legs. I know that.
Speaker 2: Exactly right, Yeah, exactly right. Well, and here is what'll I think, blow your mind about it. So we're used to seeing Patrick in the playoffs take off and run, and this is where Andy gets credit and Patrick gets credit. So Patrick the year they won the Super Bowl, he hurt his knee on a QB sneak, and that was twenty nineteen. They took out the quarterback sneaks. Then in twenty twenty, in the playoffs against the Browns, they were running an option play and the league thought Patrick got concussed. He actually got choked and blacked out, but he got choked on the edge and had to be out for the rest of the game. Was ruled out. That was the henny thing as possible game. That was the playoffs in twenty twenty. Okay, the Chiefs had not called a single this is via Bill Barnwell, a single designed quarterback run from that moment until the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl. They went sixty games without saying the design of this play is for Patrick to keep it and run. But when the moment demanded it, when Nicky Bosa is crashing down and crashing down and crashing down, Patrick takes advantage of that on a triple option designed run for twenty two yards. And then with the Super Bowl on the line, trailing in overtime, fourth and one designed quarterback run. It's what the moment demanded, So it is what Patrick delivered, and and so that is what so we now the numbers on this are now insane. Okay, I am, I'm I'm just gonna throw a few at you and then we'll get into the actual game. But the numbers are truly unlike anything demon's we've ever seen before, and they seem make believe so and I've got the great stats producer from uh from First Things First. We used them on the show, but he sent them to me an email because I knew I'd want to use them on the podcast as well. Playoff history when trailing by double digits, okay, playoff history before Tom Brady came around. And this is where great athletes demand change our brain on what is expected or possible. This is why I've said Lebron playing at this level at thirty nine, Steph is low key getting the short end of the stick for what he's doing at thirty five. Because Lebron at thirty five led the Lakers to a title. So people are thinking, oh, yeah, thirty five, you're still in your prime. You're not. No, you know, Jordan was at the very end of his prime up to it, exactly Curry is. But if Lebron hadn't just done it, people would be saying, oh, my god. Okay. So, before Tom Brady came around, postseason history, down by ten or more teams won eleven percent of the time. Okay, before Tom Brady took over, INNFL history, all quarterbacks, all teams, if you're down by ten in the play offs, you win eleven percent of the time. Brady then took over, and in fourteen playoff games that he was down by double digits, won six of them. So and before his final playoff game ever, he had won. He was only thirty. He had basically won half. You know, he was six and seven going to his last game. Ever, So Brady changed what we we looked at down ten is oh, you you're in trouble, but you got a chance. So all of NFL history is eleven percent Brady six and eight forty three percent. Patrick Mahomes been down double digits in the playoffs seven times. He's won five of those games. That's seventy one percent. Okay, let's take it further. In the last decade, I'm sorry, in the last five years since this Chiefs dynasty started, there have been eleven double digit playoff comebacks. Okay, Mahomes has five, the rest of the league has six. In the last five years, there have been eleven double digit playoff comebacks. Patrick Mahomes is five and one down double digits in the playoffs. Every other team in the league is six and forty eight eleven percent. That's same eleven percent the Super Bowl down double digits. Before Tom Brady came along, a double digit Super Bowl comeback had been done twice in NFL history. The teams down ten in the Super Bowl other than Mahomes and Brady two and forty seven. Okay, Brady two and one, Patrick, now three in one one and I will expand it one step further. Just down, And this is where greats change our brains. Just down a touchdown in the playoffs, just down seven points. You could be down seven nothing after the opening drive. Before Brady came along, teams down seven in the playoffs won twenty percent of the time. Brady was ten and eleven, won forty eight percent of the time, two and a half times more often than everybody else. Brady did it. Patrick is nine and two in playoff games. He trailed seven eighty two percent of the time. He finds a way go ahead.
Speaker 4: Yes, so you've called him the greatest active living athlete before so do you think that he's surpassed Michael Jordan and Tom Brady from the sounds of it.
Speaker 2: So I'm I'm glad you asked that, because that's why I so some people misconstrued that. So that's why I said active. So the the what I am? So let me explain exactly what I think by that. So Shortan and Brady obviously aren't active, but Lebron is. And you know what I mean. So, am I saying he's beating Lebron? I am so. I will give all the Mahomes superlatives now and then we'll do the game breakdown. So I think Patrick Mahomes my greatest active living athlete. What I mean is, take the best player, current best player in every sport. Mahomes is the best. So I'm right now not comparing him to Lebron. I'm comparing him to Jokic or Jannis. Mahomes is the best. Mahomes is the greatest act and Mahomes is better at football than any other athlete is the sport. Right now, Yes, that's how I feel, absolutely, unequivocally.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: Now, as far as the Brady Mahomes stuff, this is all we can do is if you are a count the rings sick aphant. Then Mahomes obviously has a lot of work to do. Okay, if you are just going to say he must get to seven. And by the way, spoiler alert demands if Mahomes gets to seven, what folks will say is, yeah, but they both have seven Brady, right, so he actually needs eight. That's fine. All we can do is look at pace, and Mahomes has six years as a starter, has won the Super Bowl in half of them, been to the Super Bowl in sixty seven percent of them, been to the conference title game every single year. Brady in six years as a starter, won the super Bowl in half of them. Yeah, that's right. Brady won the super Bowl in half of them. I went to the super Bowl in uh half of them, and went to the conference championship game in half of them. So he is no. In four of the six. So he's he's ahead of that pace. And Brady for his career won the Super Bowl thirty two percent of the time, went to the super Bowl forty five percent of the time, went to the conference championship game sixty five percent of the time. So he's ahead of all those paces. But those are that's a different question. If the question is I can have any quarterback in any era in and I don't in any situation for one drive, one game, one season, who is my pick? Of course it's Patrick Mahomes. And I would challenge anyone who thinks it's differently to tell me the quarterback you're taking what they can do that Mahomes can't, because the answer is nothing. There is nothing any of these other legends could do that Mahomes can't. Oh, Montana Clutch, Mahomes is the greatest come from behind quarterback ever. Oh, do a game manager, don't just take care of the football situation. Mahomes just set the record for longest consecutive playoff games without throwing a pick. Oh, do it with amazing weapons, the seven Patriots style. Okay, no problem. Mahomes first year in the league threw fifty touchdowns on five thousand yards. All right, do it without a bunch of weapons. Last year without a number one receiver, set the all time NFL record for yards in a season passing and rushing combined. All right, do it with a great defense. They traded away Tyreek Hill. There's seven to zero in the playoffs this year, leaning on their defense. So is Mahomes a game manager? Yes? Is Mahomes a high flying trick shot artist? Yes? Is Mahomes Homes a front runner? Sure? Is Mahomes the best come from behind guy? You bet you whatever type of player you need for that game, he will be. That is who the quarterback of the Kansaity Chiefs is. And there there are. So there was an interesting moment in the Super Bowl when Rice got upset Rashie Rice thought he was going to score the walk off touchdown. So two things there. One is Rice didn't realize that there was a bad snap and that Mahomes had to look down. So Mahomes looked down, so he, you know, didn't see Rice breaking open. I am of the belief Demanse that even if he saw him open, he was not.
Speaker 4: That's that's why I liked Rashie Rice getting on his ass about it, Like I do think even though he's a rookie, I feel like, you know, it's crazy for him to come in Mahomes like that. But he was wide open, and I noticed that after he barked at Mahomes, Mahomes got the ball to.
Speaker 3: Him when he was open, and they ended up winning the game.
Speaker 2: So here's the thing. I don't have any problem with the Rashia Rice didn't Rashi Rice, by the way, has handled himself beautifully and it's okay for some fiery stuff on the sidelines held Andy Travis Kelcey damn near did an elder abuse on Andy Reid. And that is and remind me to mons to talk about that. But I want to talk about the Rashi Rice thing right now. So Rice was spectacular this year. Love it, and he's such a great kid, and he seems so like pinch me. I can't believe I'm on this team. I really love the player, and I don't mind him being fiery. His only issue was, believe it or not, he actually led the Chiefs and drops. Okay, So if you think about some of the worst Chiefs moments this year, they were the work. They weren't mvs ding the pass against the Eagles. They were Kadarius Tony dropping a pass on a route just like Rice was running, where it hits him in the hands and he pops it up in the air and it.
Speaker 3: Gets picked off.
Speaker 2: So ten seconds left in the Super Bowl at the ten yard line, down three points because of Bucker, who's a legendary postseason performer. You have overtime locked and with the new rules, you're guaranteed a possession, right. I do not think Patrick Mahomes was throwing the ball there when they had overtime in their back pocket to anyone other than Travis on the edge, because that was the only pass he could make. That was a zero percent interception pass. And so Rice running across the field open but with a safety come down. I think that. Do you understand what I'm saying here? What you're saying the I think that, And now maybe that's not the right play. I'm not either, But in my in my mind, what is happening there is Patrick is saying and maybe, and again maybe it's maybe I'm over analyzing it. Maybe it is as simple as the snapples low so we never saw him, but I think it was. I am not going to risk that we.
Speaker 4: Lose the game spot of the day, the safest spot imaginable.
Speaker 2: It was right. It was either going to be a great play by Travis or we're going to over What it was not going to be is this rookie who is awesome but has had a fumbling issue and a drops issue. I'm going to throw it over the middle, yards away from the end zone with seconds left the Super Bowl. And so I just so I and I think Rashid probably I don't know if she was thinking that or not, but ra she probably, you know, probably like you can trust me, buddy, you know what I mean? I'm there, yes, and uh. But also Create Humphrey, who I think is the best center in football, had snap issues all playoffs. Yeah, all playoffs. They were all low and it throws off timing. Moms that with it, moms that with a in overtime, NBS took a six yard gain and went back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I mean, I mean that one didn't seem like he It kind of seemed like he got thrown that way though.
Speaker 2: It's a weird rule. So you get your forward progress unless you then try to go forward days. So it so when he was thrown, if he'd have just gone down, he'd have gotten the six yards. But the moment you regather and then try to go, it starts anew. So he regathered and then was like, oh man, I lost four yards, let me let me go back further. That was almost a real disaster. Yeah, and so and that's when they got out of the Super Bowl. They got out of it, all right. I want to talk about the biggest moments of the game, because sometimes we go to macro uh and don't get into the micro. So I'm just gonna go drive by drive, and I apologize if this is a little laborious, and Demond say, you jump.
Speaker 3: In whenever you're drive.
Speaker 2: Let's go ahead, not play by play, but drive by drive, all right. Opening drive of the game, I didn't like how things were going, cause there were the Niners got They went first and ten second and four first and ten first and ten, first and ten, and I'm like, well, not even forcing many second downs, much less third downs. This is not good. Now. I wasn't panicked because the Chiefs have been such a better second half defense than first half defense, but I didn't love it. And then the McCaffrey fumble happens, and I'm I am over the moon because I know the math on if you don't win the turnover battle, you don't beat the Chiefs. The Chiefs the only games they lost this year they lost the turnover battle, except for the first game of the year. They tied the turnover battle, but the turnover was a pick six, which counts in my brain as two turnovers, so I'm like, okay, this is a blown opportunity. And then the Chiefs first drive goes three and out they have and it's like, all right, you know what I mean, We're fine. Three and out is what it is. And then the Chiefs defense settles a bit. Really what happens The Niners get a couple brutal penalties and that drive stalls, and now we're just kind of trading punts. And then the Niners have the first significant moment of the game when right at the end of the at the after the end of the first quarter, they get in Chiefs territory. They have a third and fourteen and I thought, demon's they were going to go short over the middle or run McCaffrey make it an easier field goal for Jake Moody. The Niners instead take a deep shot to Deebo and that was the play that Trent McDuffie had perfect coverage, perfect was one on one with Debo. He jumps in the end zone, bats it away and now it's third. It's fourth and fourteen, and I'm thinking we are cooking with gas here. This Moody guy is gonna miss the kick, and we got and Moody, who, to the Niners credit, they got rid of Robbie Gold, who was as money as any kicker in the league inside of forty because he didn't have a big enough leg, and they go with this rookie from Michigan who has a monster leg but had been erratic this year and he has the longest field goal at that time in NFL history. Okay, so that is so. Now it's three nothing, all right, next drive the Chiefs once again. If the first play doesn't do much, the drive is kind of going spotty. Rashi Rice fumbles. Keep that in mind. He fumbled in this game. Now, Tony Romo oddly was like, was that intentional?
Speaker 4: Jim?
Speaker 2: What I promise you? He was not intentionally lateraling forward while being tackled, but the Chiefs were cover it. And that's when Mahomes uncorks the bomb to McCole and McColl who has had trouble tracking balls all year, the safety for the Niners lost the ball in the lights or something. McCole tracks it down and that was when we then got the fumble by Pacheco. So and that's when we then also saw uh Travis get into it with Andy. So let me give a little context there. First of all, this is why sports and everything life is so these little tiny moments. Man, if Andy falls over, I not only do the Chiefs probably lose, but like it is now, Travis Kelsey's entire life is different if when he bumps Andy. If Andy falls, I think Travis maybe is just done for the day that the Chiefs, you know what I mean, Like there's these little moments. Go ahead, demanse.
Speaker 4: I mean I just kind of noticed, I kind of look a look at people's body language and stuff. When Andy Reid started to slip over, I noticed that Travis Kelsey's fist was still bald. I noticed that he didn't like I've kind of felt that he noticed that he was falling over and he was just continuing to scream at him. I really liked that he just kind of put the hand out and you know it, didn't like grab it or something.
Speaker 2: But I think I think that if I mean, they those two guys clearly deeply.
Speaker 4: They've got a good relationship exactly.
Speaker 2: And but same with Travis. If you remember a couple of years ago, Travis and b Enemy got into it on the sideline Travis two arms shoved him, but for some reason with your position, coach, it's like not considered as big of a deal. And then later that game he and be enemy hugged Travis. You know, Travis punched a team in practice this year. No, he gets he gets really high strung, so and it's not again, it's a bad look. And Travis was embarrassed by Andy. You know, Andy's Andy, and just you know, he totally let him off the hook, totally let him off the hook.
Speaker 3: He just kept his eyes forward, to be honest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like what do you do? Yeah, he was like, I'm not even gonna And by the way, Jerck McKinnon came over and grabbed Travis. Veteran leader, been on the team for a long time, was on I r made some big plays in this game. But I think so I'm not excusing what Trav did, but I think the context is fascinating. So do you remember Demonse. I think we talked about it on this show. If not, I'll remind the audience what Travis said about the McCole hardman fumble against the Ravens when mc coole was going for the goal line. I'm sorry against the Bills. When McCole was going for the goal line memory against the Bills, he fumbles it out the back of the said Travis said, I keep apologizing to McCole and I'm gonna do it all week. That was my fault. My guy who I was blocking forced that fumble, and he's like, and I told McCole that's my fault. And that is so I'll explain why I'm saying this in a moment, But that's a being a great teammate and taking full accountability in all of it. But it's also Travis saying McColl was going to score. I let off my block early. That guy then came across field forced the fumble on the Pacheco fumble. Travis had been taken out of the game. Noah Gray came in. Noah Gray's guy got off the block and forced the fumble. And I think Travis was beside himself because Gray had made the exact mistake he had made, and Travis knew he wouldn't make that mistake in the red zone again, same circumstance because he had just made it. You understand what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Though, so and was going on Andy Reid about that was just It wasn't because of a missed look.
Speaker 3: It was because he just wasn't on the field.
Speaker 2: Because he was mad he was not in the game. Yes, he was mad that he was off the field because they have the huge pass to Hardman. Travis on the pass, you know, thinks it's coming to him, puts his hands up and then sees it's going to Hardman and then is coming down and he got subbed out because a lot of times you take guys out after a fifty yard pass to get a breather. And he was saying, I'm fine, like, leave me in the game, and it was not. Now listen, I I am not one hundred percent on this, but I am very confident. It was not give me the ball, I'm gonna score. It was leave me in the game because and he wasn't. I don't think us mad at Gray. But Gray had made the mistake that he had already made and then he had, you know, and so that that's the context to why that was such a use a silly word, a triggering moment for Travis. He had made this mistake, the Chiefs had fumbled in the red zone. It almost cost him the Bills game. Then he gets taken off the field, his backup makes the mistake. They fumble in the red zone. Isn't gonna cost them the Super Bowl like so that so that's the context there. So then after that, the Chiefs force, you know, a quick three and out punt. The Chiefs then once again can't get anything going and they punt, and all of a sudden, the Niners drive down the field. And this is where I start to get a little nervous. The sneed personal foul. So now in the last twenty five minutes of game action, demanse, We've had a fumble in the red zone, Travis losing his shit on the sideline, and sneid personal foul. And I'm sitting there and I'm like, we look like the damn Ravens did two weeks ago. Yeah, we're playing all the best guys, notes our best guys. They're making mistakes, they're losing their composure. And right after that the old double pass touchdown and now it's ten to nothing.
Speaker 4: And honestly, like, and I'm not trying to take anything away, but the Chiefs their meltdown seem to be a little bit worse than the Ravens because it was internal like they were coming at each other. The Ravens, I don't remember them really coming at each other's heads like that, but the Chiefs seem to be folding within. But no, I mean they obviously got it together.
Speaker 2: So all right, so now it's ten to nothing and you have the biggest drive of the game for Kansas City up to that point. Need to get points before the half so you can go into the half down just down one score. And a sneaky massive play was the Chiefs have a third and four after the two minute warning and McCole Hardman Faalse starts and now it's third and nine at your own forty. You don't pick this up. The Niners are getting the ball with a minute fifty all their timeouts, and you're at least down ten at halftime, if not more. And that was the play that Mahomes scrambles to his right, is looking around and finds Justin Watson over the middle of the field. That also the way on that play, Fred Warner got called for a defensive holding that got declined because they caught it. And I'm so glad the Chiefs caught it, because I did not want to hear all bailed out third and long, blah blah blah, and so Watson caught it. The very next play, Mahomes goes back to Watson, he drops it, but they still move the ball down the field, and Shanahan, this was his first mistake of the game, doesn't use his timeouts once again conservative before the end of the half, just wants to take the lead. He can use get timeouts to then maybe go get a field goal of his own. He doesn't use them. There's been a problem of his throughout his coaching career. And the Chiefs end up with a first and ten at the fourteen and third and five. At the nine thirty seconds left, Mahomes takes a sack and all of a sudden going to halftime ten to three, And in that moment, I was like, you know what, that half couldn't have gone any worse. Gonna get the ball after halftime, go down and score, and all the pressure will be on the Niners. Little did I know after halftime the Chiefs were going to have two of their worst offensive drives.
Speaker 3: Of the year.
Speaker 2: We'll do the second half of the game and answer some of the more some of your guys questions. Next, take quick break, come back What's right? Welcome back in What's Right? With Nick? Right? All right? Demanse before I get to the second half kind of blow by blow, if there are some questions or follow ups or things that you want to ask that the producers were thinking about about where I was, you know, kind of all of it throughout, and then we'll get into the second half play by play.
Speaker 4: We can do that, okay, Yeah, So who who's the craziest person that you heard of or heard from during or after the game.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a good one. I mean, I mean the coolest was mahomes That. I mean the hearing from him after the game. And I don't know if you can hear me or not, Demond say, I can't, good, you can. I spent I got I don't know. I got two hundred texts, uh right after the game, and I then responded to them one by one yesterday. Uh, I'm scrolling through it now. I mean I heard from I heard from someone I haven't talked to in like three years. You know who was the angriest at the Niners in Shanahan? Uh, your uncle Peewee.
Speaker 4: He was.
Speaker 2: He's heated, man, he's heated, He's heated.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, and so he was upset. Uh I the and but no, the answer is, I mean I heard from friends and family everyone was congratulating me as if I won the Super Bowl, which was very nice. Like I can't imagine what it's like for the people that actually do me the super Bowl. But all right, all right, go ahead, what else?
Speaker 3: So what are your plans for the parade? Oh? Wait?
Speaker 2: So yeah, no, that's great. So we are we are going to do first things first from Kansas City. We're not gonna you know, we don't have the rights to broadcast the parade or the stage or any of that stuff. So we're gonna do something similar to what we did last year, where we're just like amongst the people and doing it from there. But that so we fly out right after today's show.
Speaker 3: All right, who did you watch with? And how is the vibe?
Speaker 2: It was me, your mom, your little sister, and coach Manginie. No, he was there and he said that I kept hitting him. I didn't even know it. I just kept like slapping his shoulder.
Speaker 3: But I was.
Speaker 2: I mean, the vibe was anxious, like I had never a doubt about the Chiefs over the totality of the season, but once games start, you get anxious, you know what I mean, Like, and there were touch and go moments as we'll talk about in the second half breakdown, and so yeah, absolutely. Now at one point, like mid second quarter, your sister, your baby's sister, was like, oh my gosh, I'm the VIP tomorrow, so we have to Daddy, can you print out these pictures for me? Like, oh yeah, no, I cannot like out. You've lost your mind, Like you've truly lost your mind. All right, let's get back. Now, let's do the second half, because it started disastrously. You come out of the half down seven, It's like, all right, go get points. First play of the drive, Pachecko doesn't handle the toss, and all of a sudden we're in second and twenty two. Just a total disaster and worst start possible. Second down, you get some of the yards back, and then mahomes with his one real mistake, the interception, and that's when I was like, oh my god, I thought it was going to be tied, and instead it's Niner's ball, damn near and field goal range. And that's where I think Kyle made some mistakes. The next three Niners drives threw. They called seven passes and two runs. And I understand the Chiefs were in you know fronts where you think you want to pass. What the Chiefs were worried about was McCaffrey, and you played into their hands of letting Purdy, who was fine, Like I don't want to spend a lot of today. He was fine, and I thought he made some very nice plays early in the game and a couple nice plays late. He didn't. He only had one ball that I thought should have been picked, the first pass of overtime. Uh, and we'll get into that later. Like I, party was not the reason they lost, and he was not good enough, you know what I mean to be the reason they won.
Speaker 4: He ever scramble at any point during the game.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to think he.
Speaker 2: Did once, and they called the horse collar, even though I thought Bolton let go, they called the horse collar. But yeah, he didn't scramble much. He also his his yardage prop Demons was twelve and a half and he was at thirteen. And then took that knee at the end of h was it regulation? Yeah, took the knee at the end of regulation, went under and so but all right, so they go ahead.
Speaker 4: No, it's it's something small I might actually annoy you, so continue, sorry.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks? Uh and so I thought the Niners. The Niners had the ball three times with a chance to take a two score lead and went three and out every single time, And that was when they felt like they had left the door cracked open just enough. And then the Chiefs finally get a good drive or a decent drive that there was. There wasn't really a singular huge play except for the Mahomes designed run when he ran for twenty two yards and then all of a sudden, Butker is lining up for a fifty seven yard or to break the record mood he had just set. He hits it, and now it's ten to six and you're like, okay, we might be in business. The Niners then again go three and out, and I'm like, all right, the Chiefs are gonna have the lead. And the Chiefs have a third and two and Mahomes gets rushed, doesn't hit Richie James, and they're punting, and that was when the muffed punt happened. And it wasn't even a muff punt went off a guy's leg and it's just unlucky and the Chiefs. You know, the Chiefs had a lot of fumble luck in this game. Seven balls were fumbled by the two teams. The Chiefs recovered six of them. That's you know, that's lucky. And the awareness by the Chiefs together the drive.
Speaker 4: As the drive passed, where Mahomes threw the pass, he's like falling kind of want to ask you if you thought that that was calculated, because I thought that was almost a huge mistake as well, where he uh, he's falling over he throws the ball and it just landed perfectly in between two forty nine ers. But it was just like in the middle of the field, yes, and it was like almost kind of like a deep pass.
Speaker 2: So what I was worried about there was I think it was what I was worried about there was that they might call grounding that because it now usually don't call grounding in the middle of the field. But I didn't see a good view on whether or not there was anyone around, but they just kept it moving. Yeah, yeah, that could have been a that could have been a big mistake.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But then so so the muff punt hits the man's leg. The Chiefs recover first play touchdown NBS and all of a sudden, the Chiefs have the lead. And this is where I will give Purdy credit. You are trailing end of the third quarter, headed into the fourth in the Super Bowl, and he made some big plays. Third and five hits Juwan Jennings and then for seventeen yards. Fourth and three, Shanahan at the fifteen goes for it, which was shocking to me, but the right call. Purty hits George Kittle where George Kittle got all four of his yards for the game. But keep telling me how he's the best tight end in football thirty seven yards per game of the playoffs.
Speaker 3: Get out of here.
Speaker 2: And then second and nine, Perty finds Juwan Jennings again, and all of a sudden, the Niners have the lead. That was I mean, that's a down in the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl and Perty came through, So credit to him there. Didn't make any big mistakes. It wasn't like one screen pass popped off. And now we get to the Mahomes brilliance. Okay, down three in the Super Bowl, eleven minutes left. First down hits Kelsey for sixteen. Next first down, uh Pacheco nothing, second down incomplete to Rice. Third and ten at your own forty one, down three in the Super Bowl, ten minutes left. Travis Kelcey for thirteen yards, first and ten. This is the play you're talking about. Demands a bad snap, he's getting hit, throws it deep down the middle to No. One and they don't call grounding. I don't know if it was grounding or not, but that was touch and go. Second down and ten Justin Watson for twenty five yards, perfectly placed down the sideline. Now we're cooking. First and ten at the twenty one. Pachecko with his best run of the day nine yards. Second and one from the Twelvechecko with his second best run of the day eight yards. And then this was where I really couldn't believe they didn't get a touchdown. First and goal from the four. Pachecko up the middle for one yard, second down, Mahomes incomplete, third down, Mahomes gets sacked and they're kicking a field goal, and now it's tied with five and a half left. And this, Demons, is when I freaked.
Speaker 3: Out, because they were running that.
Speaker 2: I was like, well, right, five under six, the Chiefs had burned a time out, and I'm doing the math, and I'm like, it's on the board. We don't touch the ball again, it's on the board that the Niners just get six yards, six yards, four yards, eight yards, slowly methodically.
Speaker 3: Moved the doll defense down hell.
Speaker 2: Yep, and first down Purty hits Jennings for twenty three and oddly demanse I didn't hate it. Oh and by the way, I left out obviously a massive, massive moment which was after the party touchdown the blocked extra point, which changed the math on a lot of things. Now, if the Chiefs were down seventeen thirteen instead of sixteen thirteen when they had that fourth and goal from the four, they would have or from the six they would have gone for it. Of course, so everything changes. But still huge moment, all right. When Jennings gets the twenty three yards on their first play, I'm not that devastated. I don't love it, but I'm not that devastated because I'm like, Okay, if they're gonna score, go score fast, get big chunks. But then Deebo gets nine yards and it's so funny. I was so I was confusing Deanna so much because uh I saw him get nine yards. Well, I was like, I wanted him to get ten. I wanted it to be first down. And she's like wait, She's like, why did you want I was like, I can't explain it to you right now, just trust me. And second and one the Niners use a timeout, and then they run McCaffrey for three, and they're at the fringe of field goal range. And now I'm worried. First and ten, three and a half left, they run McCaffrey for five, and now I'm terrified. I'm like, well, it's second and five. The Chiefs have two timeouts in the two minute warning. If they keep running, we're not gonna see the ball again. And then, in my opinion, Kyle Shanahan made and this is how Super Bowls come down to. People all talk about the twenty eight to three. There's twenty eight to three, and Shanahan blew it, and Brady all it's two plays, two plays for Kyle in that Falcons game up eight after the amazing Julio Jones catch on the sideline, if he just calls two runs in places he called two passes, they're kicking a field goal and they win.
Speaker 3: The Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Called a pass, they had a hold, they took a sack, and all of a sudden, they're punting second and five, two forty five left. If you were the Niners, if you run five more plays, uh, there's six more plays, five or six. The Chiefs are never touching the ball again. And he throws and it goes in complete, and now we keep a timeout, and now it's third and five. It's the two minute warning. And I think your mom has this on video. I am kneeling in front of the TV saying, tip a pass, tip, a pass, tip a pass. Now, as a Chiefs fan, I wanted them to throw again. If we're gonna parse with Kyle, second and five, I think is a must run third and five. You can make the argument the right play there is after the two minute warning to run McCaffrey. He can pick up five yards. If he does, you can run the clock down to twenty seconds and kick your field goal. If he doesn't, you have a really interesting call tied at fourth and two, with a chance to pick up a first down and run the clock down to zero and kick the field goal, you know, like, But instead they call a pass and I am yelling tip a pass, tip a pass, tip a pass and Trent McDuffie, who had maybe the best game of his career, comes unblocked on a blitz drawn up by Spagnolo and we got him in the Tyreek Kill trade with our first round pick. Traded then in front of Buffalo to snag him. He leaps and tips the pass and now it's fourth down, and now the game is back in Patrick Mahomes's hands and I was never nervous again the moody shout out to him makes the field goal, but now it's Patrick Mahomes with two timeouts. A field goal ties it, a touchdown, wins it. And what does Patrick Mahomes do? Finds Travis for nine yards, scrambles on his own for three, finds Noah Gray for twelve yards, finds Justin Watson for eight yards, throws incomplete to Watson. That was on the play that was a weird one where uh Romo was yelling spike the ball, spike the ball, but uh Jeric McKinnon or Isaiah Pacheco was not was not behind the line. He was way and so and then even afterwards he was like he could have saved thirty seconds, like nobody they had to wait for him to get back But regardless.
Speaker 4: Isn't there a certain formation that you have to be in in order to spike the ball?
Speaker 2: You don't know, Well, yeah, I mean there's a spike formation, but the but everyone's got to be behind the line either way, at the very least, of course, at the very least.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then and then he goes to McKinnon for seven yards on third and two. Sneaky, massive play. The play to McKinnon. Third and two. You have mann de man coverage deep down the field. This is where Mahomes is matured and just the best quarterback I've ever seen. Third and two, demanse down three forty five seconds left. Okay, you have a chance to have the greatest moment in NFL history, a forty yard game winning touchdown pass. And you know what he does. Talks to McKinnon before the snap, tells him to go out to the right. At the snap, dumps it off to McKinnon, move the sticks. Chiefs timeout first and ten. Mahomes scrambles. That was I think is only mistake for the record of the entire of the entire last two drives. The scramble was bad because the clock now runs now second and seven. Demonse incomplete. Now you've got twenty seconds left. You're at the thirty three. So if you don't pick this up, it is asking Bucker, who's amazing, but to make another fifty yarder, another fifty yarder just to tie the Super Bowl. And that was where Travis Kelcey took the ball on a crossing route and not only went twenty two yards, not only lowered the shoulder and knocked out the Niners defender, but Travis Kelcey demanse. And this is why sports are great, because the legends show you why they're legends. Travis kelce Demanse on that play ran faster than he has run on any play in any game in seven years. That's a fact next gen stats. That is a legendary player channeling something that he has not had access to in almost a decade. I am going to because he knew he had to get to the sideline so and he knew the circumstances. The Chiefs still had a timeout, but you want to get to the sideline so you can save the timeout right, get to the sideline, get up field, and he went. The thirty four year old Travis Kelcey ran faster than Travis Kelsey has in any game since he was twenty seven. And then the very next play is the Rashi Rice is open. He throws to Kelsey, and now we're kicking a field goal, and then we go to overtime, and overtime. I gotta tell you, I'm glad. I'm glad it went this way. But for all the folks who have been whining all damn year, the Chiefs get all the calls. The Chiefs get all the calls. There was not a single pass, interference, defensive hole, or illegal contact penalty called accepted the entire game. And then it's third and thirteen in a broken pocket with brock Purty getting sacked, maybe fumbling, and they call defensive holding and they get a new set of downs. It was gonna be a three and out punt. Chiefs ball go in the Super Bowl. But you know what, so be it.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 4: I have a question, how would you have played the overtime decision had you been the Niners and won the toss?
Speaker 2: Oh? I think they listen. I understand what Kyle was saying about if it goes, if there's a third possession, that sudden death. I get the logic. I don't think that applies to playing Mahomes. I think they made a mistake. I think that if you're playing Mahomes, giving him an extra down to where and giving him the knowledge what they called the second he needs what it needs to do. I was thrilled they picked what they picked, so I thought that was a mistake. I don't think it was the biggest mistake Kyle made. I understood the logic of it. What I did think was mortifying for the Niners is that none of their players knew the rules that they said after the game, they like, can you imagine, Demanse, what if the Niners had scored a touchdown on their opening drive? Would guys have ripped their helmets off late on the field been celebrating rights really easy? While we had a PowerPoint about it, we had all that we knew everything. But okay, so they pick it up. Party makes a really good play on third and two to move the sticks. They don't face another third down until the final offensive play of the game. They had a sneaky it was a blatant but a really bad holding penalty, uh by their right tackle could I mean it was no question about it was a hold that put him in second and twelve, but they picked it up any way to use check on that pass that I wasn't sure was a catch or not when you check, like lost ball when he hit the sideline. But whatever, Yeah, So and then third and four, Demon's a legendary players, you know, do legendary things. And Chris Jones. I understand he was unblocked. But Chris Jones did to Purty what he did to Josh Allen two rounds before someone's wide open behind my head for a potential game winning touchdown. I'm gonna make you not be able to see him. With Josh Allen, he bumped him with perty you rushed him. And now this was, in my opinion of mistake by Shanahan. Fourth and four. I think you got to go for that, yeah, because here's why. If you don't get it, the Chiefs are not in four down mode. If you don't get it, the Chiefs, you know what I mean, they can't go for a fourth down if you now only need a field goal, you know. And so I thought he made a mistake there. He kicked the field goal, and in that moment, I said, we're gonna win the Super Bowl. And what did the listen the Chiefs get stuffed on a third and one. They call time out. Mahomes runs and they just think about that fourth and one down in overtime. You don't pick it up, you lose. You pick it up. People are talking about who's the greatest player they've ever seen. He picks it up. And then after that you have the MBS play, which should have been second and four instead of second and thirteen. No problem. He goes right back to MVS. And this is again the advantage of knowing you have four downs. On second and thirteen. They weren't trying to pick up ten yards. They were like, we still have three downs. They picked up six to MVS. Third and six. They run Mesh to Rashi Rice. That was the play where Kelsey had the great block after Rice caught the ball. And now we're cooking. Now, all of a sudden, we're in Niners territory. Mahomes to Pachecko for four yards. Mahomes to Pachecko for five yards. Third and one. I thought Demonse. I thought he was gonna run for the game winning touchdown. Third and one, Mahomes up the middle for nineteen yards. I thought he was gonna get the game winning touchdown first and ten Pachecko for three yards. A sneaky, massive moment of the game. Kelsey gets that inside screen there's people everywhere.
Speaker 4: They got him as a line of scrimmage, basically any powered through and.
Speaker 2: He willed his way not only for the extra yards, but this is so important to the first for a first down. If he's two yards short, it's now third and two at the five. What do you do if you don't pick it up? Do you go for the fourth down? Do you just force another over? What do you do? He picks it up, and then, as Tony Romo was explaining to us about twenty minutes, it's too late that this clock actually is totally totally irrelevant and doesn't matter at all. McCole Hardman's into the end zone untouched, and the Chiefs win the Super Bowl. And it took every every bit of every one of those guys.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, Like Shannan.
Speaker 4: Has to like have it in his head that they're probably going to run that play. Given there they're in the same spot that they were in when they ran it to Kadarius, Tony and sky Moore last year. I feel like that's the one play you've got to be like, and I get like. Granted, they might have got him with the motion that McCole in.
Speaker 2: Motion, they were so afraid that McCole was going to take the jet sweep. I mean, that's why that play is so deadly, is because we do so much jet sweep stuff. But this is why the Chiefs are special. They have scored four They have four second half Super Bowl receiving touchdowns demons in the last two years. Those four have gone to Sky Moore, who's gonna have to fight to be on the roster, Kadarius Tony, who's gonna have to fight to stay in the league, mvs who everyone was done with, and McCole Hardman, who the New York Jets said we can't use him. Those are the four guys who have scored receiving touchdowns from Patrick Mahomes in the last two Super Bowls. And that's how you become a dynasty. Quick break, right back, what's right? All right? Welcome back in What's right with Nick?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: All right? I just told the producers I was gonna do something, and then I changed my mind. We're gonna do our never a doubt recap in a week. We have some great tweets from you guys, and we're gonna do that. We have them in the rundown, but I don't have time to get to them right now because I have to go do Colin gotta do the show, and then I gotta get on a plane. I want to do a speed round, I'll do it. Of these questions, John sacketts that I want that hoodie. One of your mom's friends sent this to me. Your mom's friend. I don't want to say the wrong friend, but someone from Kansas City sent it to me. All when I find the link to where you can get these kansaity versus everybody, Hoodie and Jacket all tweeted out. David Snyder says controversy with the overtime decision by Kyle. Let's say kick My Home scored a touchdown. Would you have liked them to go for two? Chris Jones said they were. Chris Jones said that their plan all week was if it goes to overtime, we want the ball second and if we need a touchdown, if we score a touchdown, we're going for two. Now, I don't know if they would have or not, but he said that's what the plan was. So that was kind of the flaw in Kyle's thought process was you're not guaranteed that there's going to be a third possession. Again. I understood the logic of wanting the ball first, but I thought it was the wrong decision. Gabe Felter said, Nick, do you think the Chiefs will go after a known name wide receiver and free agency where they try to draft another young player in safe cap space. Here's the thing about winning this year and last year, Demonse. Now there is if you are a veteran player that still has stuff left in the tank and you're like, do I want the biggest contract possible or do I want the best chance to win a ring? There is now no argument where you go if a ring is your chosen. It's not like a Buffalo could be good Baltimore, Sam, It's it's Kent City. So that that is where winning breeds winning. They listen. They've used back to back second round picks on receivers where She's awesome. Sky hasn't worked out. Oh, Brian Dugan, Oh, I love him, one of my best friends from childhood. Brian, Tell your Sean. I tell you Sean, Tell your brother Sean. I say hello, he says, never a doubt, maybe a little panic for me. I'll never make that mistake again. David Glasstetter says, do you think competition Kelsey and coach Red tarnished the victory a bit? Knowing be blown up by those outside chiefs kingdom? The only listen, Sarah Palin blew it up. The people that hate Travis Kelcey because they hate what they perceive as politics to be. We're gonna are gonna use it against him. Nobody that matters, will it doesn't, It does not matter. Also the fact that he ended up playing great. He had eight catches on nine targets after that was spectacular and coach Reid didn't mind. Co Cole Cordova said, do you think it's time to make a movie at quarterback for the Niners? No? I mean you got Brock for one more year at a million bucks, and so you I think you try to ask Brock to do a little more and see what he because you have a major question answer on Brock a year from now whether or not you want to pay him.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Ryan Fitzgerald said, what do you think about the decision to kick with six left in regulation instead of one more shot? At the end zone. I was fine with it. I know they had a time out, and I understand. Ah, you know it was borderline. But here's why I was fine with it. Oddly because of the bad snaps and I love Creed and Creed is you know what I mean, a legend. But you six seconds? What if it's a really bad snap and either you lose ten yards or it bounces around in clock? Time runs out? So I was fine with it eight seconds. I'd have gone for another shot. Six seconds. No, Atachi said, are we gonna keep Jones? I hope so? And so we'll see. Has Nick paid demand his teaser payout yet? No? But I will today. How long does the excitement last for life? Where do you go eat? You live in Kansas City? A lot of places, all right? One of the answer your questions keep sending your never it out tweets from the parade, and we'll show them on Tuesday show along with all the rest of these demanse Did you have some of you want to say? Look like you want we're gonna jump in right there?
Speaker 4: Uh no, no, I was actually gonna jump in and say what you said, but not a super fun show.
Speaker 3: Let's go Chiefs Kingdom.
Speaker 2: Great job. Let's go Chiefs Kingdom Dynasty Official. I hope you guys enjoyed the show. Uh, see you guys at the parade in Kansay. See you on First Things First at three o'clock. See on Colin in about ninety minutes. What's right, Hey, it's Nick right. Thank you so much for watching. Please do us a favor. Click subscribe. It helps my ego and Demonsey's got a financial bonus writing on a number of YouTube subscribers, so help him out. And also click the bell. I don't know what the bell does, but they tell me to tell you to click the bell. And your audio listeners, people that have commutes, drives, whatever it is, subscribe to the podcast as well. Wherever you get the podcast, same show, just you know, just in your ears instead of through your eyes. All that check it out. Appreciate sho