Speaker 1: That's that's okay, becaus no one.
Speaker 2: Here is hello and welcome back to teen Beat.
Speaker 3: I'm your host, Danielle Fischel, back again, ready to interview interesting people who have done interesting things, all about their childhoods. I've realized that you can't know where you're going without remembering where you've been.
Speaker 2: That's not only a saying you.
Speaker 3: Can buy on an embroidered throw pillow at hobby lobby.
Speaker 2: It is also the truth. I see it this way. I gave you my childhood. It's time we hear yours.
Speaker 3: And this week I am thrilled to dig a little deeper with a very special guest. It's impossible to recount the pop culture landscape of the two thousands without this Man's dance Solo, a cinematic moment that captured a nation, turning a micro budget indie movie into a worldwide phenomenon. Thanks to his legendary portrayal of Pedro's campaign manager, moviegoers fell in love with him somehow, turning one of the most ridiculous characters of the decade into also the most earnest and heartfelt. He went on to star in movies like Benchwarmers, Blades of Glory, and surfs up. Constantly working since he first stumbled into the spotlight when a college friend asked him to star in a short film, and now he's sort of returning to academia in the form of Fox's new reality hit Nation's Dumbest. He's competing in brain challenging games and physical challenges to find out if he's smarter than fellow celebs like Carmen Electra or Mattleinert. But you can form your own opinion right now, because this week on teen Beat, it's a man with great skills. John, John, thank you so much for hanging out with me on teen Beat.
Speaker 2: We have never met.
Speaker 3: Yet I feel a very special connection to you because we are two people who will forever be called by our character names. You know, Tapanga and Napoleon will be mentioned first in our obituaries, and that is a special bond. What do you think the ratio is between John and Napoleon When people yell at you in airports?
Speaker 4: Oh boy, I avoid the airports. I just take boat. Now. It's hard, it's much longer I have.
Speaker 2: To know, But you avoid being yelled at?
Speaker 5: Uh yeah, you know when I it's I mean, you know, the older we get the more cantankerous old man I become. I don't get you know, I never I would never yell, but you know, sometimes I play, I.
Speaker 4: Play the game game, I play the game. If someone is someone obnoxious, will just yell out Napoleon. Sometimes I just pretend I don't hear or anything. And then especially if they're younger, if it's like like a teenager kid that come up, like I was like, oh you mean John, you know? Or me? Are you talking to me? You know kind of thing, or if they're far enough in an airport, I just like, I always have my headphones on it. I pretend I don't hear. Half the times I probably don't hear exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're like, never mind.
Speaker 3: You're also an identical twin, which is the second identical twin I have interviewed on our podcast.
Speaker 2: We had Nikki and Bribella on the podcast.
Speaker 3: Does your brother hate being mistaken as both John and Napoleon?
Speaker 4: That's funny. No, he doesn't mind getting mistaken as as I guess me, meaning like he grew up his whole life, We both grew up getting called His name is Dan, so we'd always joke like, well, my name is John, but I'm also known as Dan and Vice. He would say the same thing. So we always had that and then you know, he just doesn't go to airport.
Speaker 2: He just truly.
Speaker 4: He's saying he's he doesn't get it as much, but he would still you know, you get that look or someone would know, or more and more people are starting to become aware that I have a twin brother, so they can kind of, oh, yeah, he's the the lame man's he's the layman's job. We tell we could tell you.
Speaker 2: Guys have lots of identities.
Speaker 3: Did you ever participate in twin Shenanigans Switcher Roose? Did it ever benefit you in any way?
Speaker 4: Benefit anything? Everything had to be funny to me. Everything had to do, you know, entertain me. And that's when I thought, that's how I you know, taking comedies or if I think something good, it's got to be good to me. I don't care about the audience. If I think it's good, I do care about the audience. But yeah, we uh, for sure, when we we were much younger, we had when I remember in like kindergarten, we had shirts that I think like an aunt made for us when it had like a little hand that said like I'm Jonathan, he's Dan, and he had the opposite one with a hand pointing the other way. But we also had belts, and I remember my I don't remember if my parents bought the belts, but our belts had our names on it, and they did it for the benefit of like our teachers. So we on purpose would switch belts. And this was like you know, kindergarten. But even up until I remember, the biggest one we ever did, because we knew it was probably the end of that era, was sixth grade. We we just decided the whole day we would switch places, even so much like on the bus I had to go there was a girl I was going out with.
Speaker 2: Of course, yeah, which you said, next to her on the bus.
Speaker 4: Exactly, that was the rule. Of course, she's sitting next to the bus and we had switched that day, so he was already sitting down. She sat down next him, took her a hot second before she was like oh, she screamed. It was so funny. And then we like switched for our classes the whole day, and his teacher was in on it. He got it. But my teacher was this older woman and she was like completely close.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she was just like, Okay, this looks normal to me. So you got away with it that time.
Speaker 4: I got it with it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: In addition to your twin brother Daniel, you have four other siblings. As a kid, how loud and chaotick.
Speaker 4: Three year I have? I was like, wait a second round.
Speaker 2: Wow, you had to count your siblings. That's a lot of siblings.
Speaker 4: I'm so used to say I have four, four brothers and one sister.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, So how loud and chaotic was your house?
Speaker 4: It was? It was pretty loud in Kaotok. There was especially since my parents had a girl first, and she was, you know, the princess, and she was, you know, your very typical all American girl, and she was sweet. And then after that it was just five boys in a row right to them being twins, which is already kind of mayhem in itself. But we were a tight knit group and so we had absolute love and respect for our parents. But my poor sweet mother, you know who I adore, she had to deal with it. And we could tell we knew that when it was mom yelling time, and there was a lot of yelling from Mom, we knew half the time. I think in our hearts we kind of make fun of it, and we were like, Okay, she's yelling at us again. But any think, deep down we knew it's like she's yelling a so that she can we can hear her simply. It's not just it's not abuse, it's not anger. It's just like.
Speaker 2: Trually, I have to get my voice over theres I have to.
Speaker 4: Get I have to beat them to it. I have to get that. And we were always like, yeah, messing around and stuff like that, and so, but you know, when it came time to do chores, we would eventually by days and get the chores done. Maybe not when we were exactly when we were supposed to, but I was like, no, you guys, come on, like, let's get let's cut moms of slack.
Speaker 2: We love her, let's let's be a little kinder to her.
Speaker 3: I want to talk about your professional acting origin story. You go to BYU and you meet a fellow film student, Jared Hess, who is shooting a short film on sixteen milimeter with a budget of under five hundred dollars, and this becomes the birth of Napoleon Dynamite.
Speaker 2: Where did the character come from?
Speaker 3: For you?
Speaker 2: It is so specific, so.
Speaker 3: Unique, and yet we all knew a Napoleon dynamite.
Speaker 4: That's yeah. Jared came to me and he had yeah, he had this like eight page script okay, and it was and I read it and I just was like, oh my gosh, yeah, this is like I get this guy. Yeah, I know this. And at the time, I remember thinking, you know, this is a short film. We were just film students. We weren't We didn't have like delusions of grandeur or anything like that. But I still remember thinking, no one has seen this character yet. Yeah. We've had oddball misfits. We've had like a couple nerd movies, but nothing that where we showcased this kind of awkwardness in teendom, you know, in the teen years, like kind of a nerd. But there's something besides just your typical nerds. It's not that he's books smart. There's a social awkwardness. I mean, nowadays I could probably just say, oh, go back in time. At the time I didn't think about it, but going but going now, I could have been like, oh, yeah, we've never had a movie or show where an autistic kid.
Speaker 2: Was a kid on the spectrum, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, kid on the spectrum. One hundred percent. But you know, I don't even think I was that aware of it back then. I didn't even think about it. It wasn't until years later people started coming up to me, either like my son or myself huge fan of how we connected. I was like, oh my gosh, that clicked. That clicked, as it makes sense, But yeah, I knew I knew some kids who were kind of like that, but not like pictured one hundred percent. It was. It wasn't all on the page, the curly hair and the glasses and the moon boots. I don't even think we're in the script yet. It was just kind of the voice, and Jared you know, did his version of the voice, and then I was just like, yeah, this is kind of how I used to talk when I was a kid, and my younger brothers especially talked a lot like this. And so that's when Jared and I, you know, were like, Okay, well, so what's he gonna wear. His wife was like, oh, and I think we should get you a perm So that all the imagery of it, how he looked was kind of born out of First first came like the voice in the compos and stuff like that, and then it came like the physicality came next.
Speaker 3: Did you have any acting aspirations before this project?
Speaker 4: I had done my Like acting was kind of big in my family, which was weird. My dad was a doctor, my mom had no acting experience. But my older siblings, my older brother and my sister, we were always put in like the local you know, kid acting summer camps and it was just became a thing every year, and they did really well. Especially my older brother was cast like as the lead in most of the high school plays, and so it just felt like, wow, we got to do some theater education. Yeah, and I always thought it was cool. And there's of course that feeling as a kid, like do I that would be so rad if I was a lead in that play or if I got to do that. But I didn't really I could be goofy, but I didn't know how to pitch my voice or to really you know, be myself. I didn't. I didn't understand that. And then in high school I started making a lot of videos. I got really into video production, like I guess you'd say filmmaking, but you know, we had video cam. It was like the right like the birth of handicams, and you had you could take cameras anywhere, drop them there fine, And so I just became obsessed with that, and that's when I knew I wanted to make film. And because of that, you know, you have to act in your own videos. You don't go to a local casting agency, you know, in high school. So I would be in my own videos. And that was the beginning I would say of like Okay, stepping outside in my shell a little bit, getting a little bit more comfortable, but not understanding the principles at all. And then it was at b YU. It was at college when I studied film, and because of that, I had to take you know, require classes, one of them being acting. And that really was the first time I took an acting class where I was it opened my eyes. I was like, oh, it's everything fell into place. I was like, now I get it, Now I get just you know some of the simple principles. You're like, that makes sense to me, That's that totally makes sense. So I really I loved it. I enjoyed it. I started like auditioning for student films, ok, for student plays. I never I didn't get an agent, I didn't had no major aspirations, but it kept you know. I did pay Luca was the name of the short film I did with Jared has and I had done that, and then, like I said, I got cast in a couple other student films. So I kept thinking, you know, they keep casting me, maybe there's something there, But I don't know. I can't see myself of ever going to LA. And I saw myself going to LA, but I was gonna I was on an animation track. I was going to be an animator. I was studying animation. I was big into art, and so it was still filmmaking to a certain degree, and I thought, yeah, maybe I'll go to LA, but but for that reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not for this reason.
Speaker 3: So you finished the project for with Jared after it wraps, do you ever expect it to go anywhere.
Speaker 4: When we when we shot the short film. No, not the short film, because short films don't go anywhere normally. And I mean, as a student, I knew that. I was aware that. All right, okay, I know sometimes you can use a short film to help you a for the director kind of conceive and understand like, all right, this makes sense. This helps me. I know that you can get them into film festivals and maybe get eyes on it, but we didn't really use it for you know, it was all financial. The feature film was financially produced. It was financed by one guy, basically okay, and it wasn't through you know, festivals. It was a friend of ours brother. It was his older brother who knew about it. So no, I had no I remember thinking the short film was great, and it wasn't until Jared said, hey, I want to make a feature length version of it. Yeah, And this was probably like, you know, like three months later after the short film that he said that. But again, it was gonna be like another year, year and a half before we shot the feature. So he's like, I just want you to know I want to make a feature. It's gonna be a while. You know, we got to write the script, we got to figure out funding. So yeah, but even even then, it's like I wasn't really thinking big picture. I'm just thinking rad Of course, that makes sense, and maybe maybe when you have something, when you have a film, someone's gonna see this. Someone We're gonna get more than just my extended family watching this movie, even if it's in a couple film festivals, and you get those kind of filmgoers who like weird, quirky independent films. Yes, that's kind of what I said. That's where that's where my expectations were lying at that moment.
Speaker 3: So that time passes, that year, year and a half, you get you guys get the funding just under half a million dollars, and it's now going to be a feature film. It's now a month long shoot and there are you know, real cameras and a real cast. Dedrich Bader, Hillary Duff's sister.
Speaker 4: Were you nervous, Oh no, no, I wasn't nervous. I was excited. I still felt like this was It felt like a student project the whole time. You even know, I knew it wasn't officially a student project, but all the crew were. I knew all the crew because they were just buddy like film student buddies and stuff, a few gradualies. We were like, oh, they've worked in the local Utah film commit for a couple of years. We got we're legit. But you know what legitimized? It was like you said the other actors. I was like, well, we got TJ. Payter, John Grice, we got Tinami Gerino. I was like, okay, so that's cool, that's really cool. But I still was. I understood. I had been studying film. I understood like, this is a small this is an independent film. I don't think they're getting paid very much. I just agreed to this weird project. And uh, but yeah, I wasn't really nervous. I was you know, I get along with people great, and it was like and plus I knew it wasn't Maybe if I had I probably would have been more nervous. If I played a small role cast in like a Hollywood feature. Something was like, oh, this is legit, and if I could get fired if I don't do this right. I was like Jared and I. Jared was at the Helm and Jared and I were very similar, and he was just like yeah, Jared john his directions like, yeah, you know what you did in the short film, Just do more.
Speaker 2: Of that, Just do that for longer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Like I knew I had the job. I wasn't nervous like I was gonna get fired or anything like that. And we felt so confident in what we were bringing to the table, him and I in terms of because it's like this is the main character. We've got that down and this is the story in his world, and so it's really I think I remember, you know, John and Efrid more so e Frin who plays pedro Y and Tina. I think they were a little bit more nervous because e Frin has you know, I've worked in Hollywood a little bit, but he wasn't a name and this was his biggest role today. And Tina major Reno, who was like a child actor but hadn't done anything in her quote unquote adult years. This is she was eighteen, so she wanted to come back and say, all right, I want to do a movie. Now it's no longer cutesy little team in Majorino. I want to do a little bit more of it sounds weird, more of an adult role, but yes, a little bit more mature. So I think there's nerves coming from that other end, and we were all just sitting back like let's do what you got, let's see what you got.
Speaker 3: There is so much silence in the movie, like long beats for jokes, and it is really one of the first instances of this kind of anti comedy that's become the norm now. But for me, I realized in sitcoms where silence is like death. Do you remember Jared Editing in those pauses or were they always in the script?
Speaker 2: But it is so good?
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, there, it was always there. That was I think it was firmly get go when we did pay Luca, and I could see Jared had a very specific cadence and timing to what he thought was funny and it made sense immediately anybody who got it, Yeah, anybody who got it, and most people would get it right away like, oh, I get this is a real life kind of thing. This is kind of how it's his vision of because he grew up in that area in Preston, Idaho, and that went to that high school and everything. So it's just I it was very observational. I just he his approach was like, we're taking a step back, and this is a portrait. I want you, I want my audience to kind of see this portrait of these weird, kind of awkward characters. And because of that, everybody, pretty much all the actors, after reading the script but also seeing us film just a few scenes, immediately, oh, I see this is not the kind of film or we're going to fill it in with improv. We're going to try to throw in our own lines. Every line is exactly to the script mostly because we want the pauses and that breath in between all the moments were so important, and that was that's what helped make each of those little lines stand out and be really funny and work. And so everybody's smart, like they got it.
Speaker 2: How did you stay grounded?
Speaker 3: Then after this movie comes out, a lot of people are kind of plucked from outside Hollywood thrown into a once in a generation Cinderella story and then they get into some real trouble.
Speaker 2: How did you avoid the true Hollywood story?
Speaker 4: I wasn't super young. That helped. I was already married, Okay, that helps, Yeah, freshly married, that helped. Yeah, just having some of that kind of like grounding that I was like, all right, I know what kind of per Not so much actor, but I knew what kind of person I wanted to be and how I conduct myself and how the kind of people I you know, you know, work with, and who I want to associate myself with, and just kind of already had that built in a little bit. And so and you know, I was aware of that story. I think I think truly it was the age, you know, when I shot this, I was twenty five, twenty four twenty five when I shot it. So I was already in my mid twenties, and I was like not that. I was like, so I was still a baby to the industry, but at least too you know who I was, and again, yeah, kind of knowing what kind of person I want to be. I was just like, yeah, there was a grounding there. Yeah, And I was like going in headfirst into this industry not knowing, you know, exactly how it worked. But at least I was like, you know, I'm not gonna that that's going to be the part that I'm going to maybe make some stupid decisions like turning down this project or saying yes to this project, but that's going to be extent of that who I, you know, deal with or getting having you know, getting into whether it's parties or drugs or I don't know, dark alleyways.
Speaker 2: Right, that had already been decided, you had already decided.
Speaker 4: It didn't interest me at all. I was like I was always from the get go, like I don't need to go to a party, do I? Yeah, And if anything seems shady or weird, you know, I just walk away. Yeah, I don't know, I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just yeah, I've always been shocked that there was no Napoleon Dynamite too, with that kind of success. But I did want to know if you saw the Minecraft movie. It's directed by Jared and there are so many homages to Napoleon Dynamite, and at.
Speaker 2: Times it kind of felt like a reinterpretation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I saw it. I saw, and of course, you know, seeing I'm like just knowing Jared as like, oh wow, it takes place in Idaho, but you know, that's just who he is, that's where he's from. And there was a tot men. I think there's something like a top factory or something. I remember that. I was like, okay, it's doing a little couple of nuns. Yeah, we you know, with the whole the sequel thing. Yeah. I just the simple answer is just like you never know. I mean, I suppose something could still happen. They could still happen, but I you know, it's like this is I'm very you know, precious and respectful, like this is to Jared's and Jared and Jerusha's, this is their baby, this is their creation. I helped create it, but it's not my call. And I'm you know, I'm not saying whether or not I would. I agreed right away. You know, Fox was very much like let's make you know, let's make a sequel, and Jared's like, I want to do other things. I was like, yeah, that totally makes sense. So right fine, and so we'll see, we'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: We'll see what happens. I like that answer. I do. I love that answer.
Speaker 3: Your next projects that you go into are Benchwarmers, School for Scoundrels, and Blades of Glory co starring David Spade, Billy Bob Thornton, and Will Ferrell. Basically three movies in two years with legends.
Speaker 2: Did you ever sleep?
Speaker 4: I slept great? I ate even better.
Speaker 2: Oh I love it.
Speaker 4: That was That was a change doing doing studio films and like, oh, this is what craft services is, like, this is what catering supposed to be. Like I think a Benchwarmers I gained I swear I gain like fifteen pounds. Really yeah, I didn't. I didn't know how to like because the difference was is like you got I shot Ben George's what was I shot before Blades the Glory? It was one of the first ones I shot, and that truly was like and I was there for the long haul. I shot like a couple other studio films right before, but it was like day player kind of thing and coming in for a few days, not really experiencing the whole thing. But first bigger role, I guess, you know Benors, but it was Benros, you know, produced by Sandlers, Adam Sandler's. They were known for like just catering to the nines and and so I was there and we shot for like three months. We don't have to do anything. I'm not training because my character is supposed to stink at baseball. So they're like, no, you don't how to train Rabim Schneider. We'll put him in the in the batting cages all day long. He's got to be good. But you guys can just eat and talk and relax and relax. And that's what we did. But then, of course, I guess when Blades of Glory came around, I had to, Uh, this is the first one I did where I was like, oh, you got to train, you got to train skating, you got to get in shape. You've got a regiment of like what we were eating. So I was like it was like, yeah, polar opposite. So like I got there, and yeah, they had amazing catering. But I had an assistant who was like, bring me.
Speaker 2: My meals salmon.
Speaker 4: Exactly, and the salads and the fish and everything. I was like, okay, whatever, I'll do it. I had a blast, but it was yeah, completely different experience. Yeah it was, but there was a that was a crazy time. That was a crazy time. When you say no sleep. It was like I to me that those like first couple years, first three years was all about my Thomas guide and me. And if you remember the Thomas guy I had, we didn't have phones, we didn't have smartphones, and so I just had to learn la, learn la and drive meetings beyond meetings, meeting casting agents, casting directors, producers, agents, actors, writers, everyone, And so it was it was less about the no sleep and more about like the mileage I put in my car.
Speaker 2: Yes, think of all the time we wasted back then of sitting in traffic. You know, now we just drop onto a zoom.
Speaker 3: It's like it's not an hour drive to Cia for forty I know.
Speaker 4: I loved exploring in my car and getting to know the canyons in all the different free ways.
Speaker 3: When I first started driving, that was My number one most exciting thought was I can't wait to drive the canyons.
Speaker 2: Like this is everything, and.
Speaker 4: No amount of exploring those canyons and doing the freeways where you still like none of this makes sense, Like what this is the worst layout, like right, so now I gotta go here and it's always bad. It's it was crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I know, unlike New York that's a real grid system. There's no rhyme or reason to Los Angeles streets or even freeways.
Speaker 2: So people love Blades of Glory.
Speaker 3: I think it has only grown in popularity and cult status over the years. What is your other than the diet and workout regimen. What do you remember most from making that movie.
Speaker 4: I think it was the It was the the cold, the weather. It was the cold, difference between a lot of the other projects, not just it was the It was the apex of my film experience in terms of like, this is the biggest one yet, this is so night and day from coming from small independent film Napoleon, coming to big budget Hollywood movie. You've got the biggest start, Will Ferrell. Yeah, you've got huge crew, special effects teams, you got double I mean, it was just it was so different, And that's really what I remember the most was just how different, but also that the skating Will and skating Will and skating were like the two things I remember the most because you know, it was Will Ferrell. That was a dream come true. It was like it was a dream. I always say, it's like it's unrealized dream come true. Like I didn't I didn't know I had dreamt of that.
Speaker 2: Right, You didn't even know you could dream of that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly. It's not like I thought, oh, maybe one day I'll get to do a movie with Will. It was, it was, it was actually it was you know, the quick version was it was Ben Stiller who was first cast in that role. He came to me about doing this. Him and I and his his team produced it, but scheduling conflicts came up a little just a little bit later and he couldn't do it. But he was like, don't worry him, So making this movie, we'll get some good And then that's when they cast Will and I was like, oh, oh, okay, well that's a pretty good replacement. I didn't do better, and so it was very I was like, really Will, like seriously, So it was very much pinch myself moment. He was extremely wonderful to work with. I mean he was like what you would hope for and you know, dream of, like in a person like him, down to earth, very kind and sweet and professional, but also extremely funny, just like he was the cool kid, you know, show me around the digs and let me hang out with the other cool kids. But then the skating, and then skating was you know, I loved the skating. I wasn't like a skater before. I had gone a couple of times growing up as a kid, you know, but I and I remember thinking, oh, yeah, you guys. When they asked like, do you have experience, I was like, yeah, yeah, I've got experience. And then of course we hit the ice and I'm like, oh man, this is like relearning the bicycle. And I took to it and I loved it and it was so much fun, and getting to do that that was a big thing. I loved learning a craft for a food. That was really fun.
Speaker 2: Have you skated since?
Speaker 4: I have skated since, And it's not it's not like riding a bike, right. I can still pull off the stuff, but it's it feels like riding a bike that every time you get on that bike. No, even if you rode it two days before and it was serviced and it was oiled and it was in working condition, it's like you can get on that bike, but immediately like, oh, this is rusty, this is old, Like I got to fix it. It's like that's what it feels like. Get every even when we're training every day, get on the ice like I have to relearn it. It's yeah, because it's just a different beast. So I can still do some of the same stuff, but it is it's not an easy hobby to just keep going. You gotta it's it's yeah, I don't get to go ice skating all the time, and once I do, I'm like, oh, I feel like eyes. I'm like, I've gotta I've got to show it. I've got to perform. Yeah, I don't know if I could do it.
Speaker 3: I needed a solid hour of just warming up. I feel very much the same way about dance when I when I'm dancing every day for four hours a day, you are oiled up.
Speaker 2: You're in the mode.
Speaker 3: But then after any sort of break, even if it's just a few days to a week, the minute you get back into it, you're like what am I? How do I I've got to get the all of this back into back into place.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, yeah, same thing.
Speaker 3: Well, in our house, you are not Napoleon Dynamite. You are Skull from Monster House, which is a favorite of my five and seven year olds.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, that's awesome.
Speaker 3: You have four beautiful kids. Do they have a favorite of your movies?
Speaker 4: I would say deeper cut here right now, they've all gone through phases, but the blanket statement is no, they don't care that much about my movies.
Speaker 2: Okay, right, Like my kids feel the same way about me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, they're like but like, you know, they went through My youngest, my nine year old, she's definitely into she likes Napoleon. She does like Napoleon, but that's mostly what she's seen. I have not. There's a couple others I haven't shown her yet, you know. And a couple of them have seen the other ones, but they're like, uh, but I think the one project I've done that for the first time when it first came out that we all sat down as a family, every single one watched it and laughed our butts off. Was Pickle and Peanut and and not a lot of people know about it, but I'm always putting the word out. It was a Disney cartoon. It's a Disney show. We did for two seasons, okay, and it's like it's it was. It felt the most irreverent Disney ever got. But it was like kind of SpongeBob square Pants and meets Red and Stimpy. It's just about a pickle and a peanut and they're two friends, like high school buddies who live in Reno, Nevada, and they just get up to nonsense and it's totally crazy and wild and it's it was so much fun to do that voice work, uh, kind of from with the creators creating each episode and then and yeah, we would. We just sit around and we're rewatching it now with my nine year old because she did. She was too young when ye first came out, and so and she's loving it. She's loving it. And so that of all my projects.
Speaker 3: Back to your original love, back to the thing you thought you were going to move to le and do.
Speaker 4: It's easier. I think the animated stuff, like they really liked the We did an animated Napoleon series for like, you know, six episodes, and she they the kids really like that as well, because I think because it's when it's voiceover, they're not seeing dad, they're saying they're seeing a pickle, or they're seeing some animated character that they yeah, there's that's true. Now I think about there's I did this character on Star Versus the Forces of Evil. Yes, great cartoon, and they that was probably they would say, oh, that's my favorite thing you've done. And they respected and loved it because again they're not seeing me, They're just hearing their voice and they've Yeah, a cool project.
Speaker 2: You know, that's so great.
Speaker 3: I want to talk to you about Nation's Dumbest before you go, yeah you are. You have some fellow contestants including Iced Tea, my pal, Jojo Siwa, doctor Drew who felt like real competition until he was eliminated in week one, Carmen Electra.
Speaker 2: And Laria Baldwin.
Speaker 3: And I'm not asking for any spoilers, but did you all get along the entire time?
Speaker 4: Oh? We got on great?
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: I think what really helped is a nobody knew who was going to be the other contestants until we were introduced each other on camera. They wanted to keep it secret, and so when we show it, the first day in the classroom, which was like, you know, the main hub. I'm seeing everybody for the first time, and I'm so like some of them, I'm not quite sure who they are, but you know, I'm still recognizing some faces. But I think what really helps in those Yes, it is an individual competition where each person is competing against the other to try to get off first. We wanted you to get off before the others, to get eliminated first. However, we're all we all know the nature of the show. It's called Nation's Dumbest. You know you could be the winner. So there is automatically a sense of not just empathy but like camaraderie that we're all feeling like a we're all we've all agreed to make fun of ourselves for the next X amount of episodes whatever, and we get it, and we all know how that feels when you look dumb on camera. But that's gonna be the whole premise and the selling point of the show is watching the dumb we look and have moments of you know, victory and for sure where it feels good. But we all knew that there was going to be the chance and there was guaranteed to be moments where we look stupid, where we get a question wrong. So I think that helped us bond a little bit more. So we got along great. It was never like I'm taking you know, I don't know if like maybe that's how it is in Survivor or other reality competition shows. But we we were like because there's nothing we could do to prepare really, I mean we were just like, well, you could start studying, but you have no idea they're gonna I remember there was one thing I was like. I remember telling my teammates because I was like, I know they're gonna ask this question, you guys, because they asked lots of random stuff. Don't forget that the Democratic Party is donkeys, No, yeah, donkeys, and the Republican Party is elephants and they are blue and the donkeys are no, sorry, the donkeys are blue. See now I'm forgetting.
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, Democrats are blue.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Democrats are blue, and the so are red. And I was like that seems simple enough, but that's something they're so going to test us on. They never asked that question, but that was the only thing I remember telling the other team. I would saying, it's like Okay, you guys, we would go over a couple things. I'd like, just geography. Things are like, okay, don't forget like simple things. Let's go over.
Speaker 2: How many states are there?
Speaker 4: Give? Yeah. We had a couple of contestants who, no matter what, if they were asked a kids question, anything to do with nursery rhymes, TV shows, like kids shows anything, they were just burn and fails. So sometimes we sat there kind of reviewing, all right, here's all the Doctor Seuss books. Yeah, here is what's on Nickelodeon right now, or you know or was on Nickelodeon and you know in the eighties or something, or you know some of or like even like nursery rhymes, just stuff like that. It was that was the extent of our study going in.
Speaker 3: Did you feel like you had any specific educational strengths.
Speaker 4: Uh? I. I was like, okay, I was a good student. I can follow directions well, and that's I think gonna help. I was always pretty good at math, English spell. This isn't a spoiler because they already had the episode where we had the spelling b I remember thinking, yes, I got this, and then you know, you find out it's a team challenge. And you're only as good as your team. And so I'm like, oh, I don't got this.
Speaker 2: I don't got it.
Speaker 4: I mean maybe I got it, I don't know. Do you guys got you guys? Do you have it? Do you have it? No? And I get shake shaking heads, like that's one thing. A lot of people are like, dude, I'm smart, but I can't spell very well. Yeah. Yeah. There was uh like elements of geography. I'm good at, other elements I stink at, you know.
Speaker 2: So what would you say an educational weakness was? For you sports?
Speaker 4: And I don't even call that an education. But I remember going in thinking this, A lot of this is based on trivia and a lot like trivia, like if you remember that game Trivia Pursuit. They're going to have all these different categories. But I was like, if they asked questions of sports, I'm gonna fail. And they did ask some, and I got the ones that were about like, which sport involves this kind of you know, uh uh these kinds of balls or something, or these kinds of equipment. I was like, that I could do, But if it's going to be about players, stats, years, teams stuff like that, I was like I'm out. I remember thinking that, and then like pop culture I'm really good at up to a certain years and specific things like movies. I've got movies, I got most television music I'm really good at up until like like the two thousand and then I'm pretty good with certain genres, but like other things with like yeah, and then pop culture, tell there was certain That's where I lost the most. Was just like things that I didn't feel stupid about. I was just like, oh, I just yea culture exactly like certain certain things. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, you can watch Nation's Dumbest every Wednesday night on Fox at nine pm, or the next day on Hulu, Disney Plus or t B. John, thank you so much for chatting with me. It was a pleasure talking with you and meeting with you today.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. It was as well for me.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Have a great day you too. Bye.
Speaker 3: Teen Beat is an iHeart podcast produced and hosted by Danielle Fischel, Executive producers Jensen Carp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production Danielle Romo, producer and editor Tara Sudbosch.
Speaker 2: The theme song is.
Speaker 3: By Mark Coppus. Yes that Mark Coppus. Follow us on Instagram at teen beat Pod.