Speaker 1: Countdown with Keith Olderman is a production of iHeartRadio. Jesus Christ. Trump appropriates the image of Jesus Christ again. This time it is not him pretending to be Jesus, it's him. How does one phrase something like this? It looks in this image like Trump is about to make out with Jesus. I mean, none of the components here would constitute my areas of expertise. But Jesus is clearly fondling Trump's chef, and Trump's eyes are closed in ecstasy. And I don't think it's religious ecstasy. Hey watch where you put your hands Jesus as Americans ranging from atheists to papists to Jesus impersonators recoil. Trump put this out just three days after his image of himself as Jesus or is doctor Jesus? Or is doctor Johnny Jesus or whatever he claimed it was. The radical left lunatics might not like this, but I think it's quite nice, he wrote. Apart from the fact that you are seeing how Trump's life of rationalization works, his existence fits the psychological phenomenon known as no true Scotsman. This is not trivial. This is not something that just pisss off a couple of religious nuts, It pisss off an amazing variety of Americans on a visceral level, somewhere approximating that of Trump, having insulted each of their mothers individually. Trump, though reflexively tells himself his supporters get it, and of course anybody who doesn't get it is a lunatic, so isn't a supporter, so doesn't count. So he has one hundred percent support. How does he sleep at night? You ask? That's how? In point of fact, if we accept the idea that Trump's cult, his beneficiaries, his enablers, his junta, have long since come to terms with the fact that they don't care if he's crazy, they don't care if he's evil, They don't care if every moment he is in power threatens the life of everybody and every animal and every plant on the planet, including them. So long as the power and the money keep on rolling in, we are, from their point of view, watching something worse than all of that end of the world. So what there's the rapture? This threatens the power and the money now, Oh, because it touches something that his dwindling base is enslaved to that entire spectrum running from deeply considered belief at the one end and then superstition and fear on the other end. I mean, this is so bad that after the first one, even Speaker Mike Johnson, who is Speaker Mike Johnson rather than ex Speaker Mike Johnson, because he is capable of greeting any evidence of Trump's brain turning to tapioca by saying, I didn't see it, I didn't hear I didn't read it, I didn't smell it, I didn't taste it. I didn't put my hands on its chest. Even Mike Johnson has noticed the Jesus stuff.
Speaker 2: Speaker Johnson asked you at the Presidence, and how Jesus I'm talked with the President about it, as says, I saw it and told him.
Speaker 3: That I don't think it was being received in the same way he intended, as he agreed, and he pulled it down.
Speaker 1: That was the very thing. He explained how he saw that. And I don't think he thought it was sacrilegious at all.
Speaker 2: So do you think he should have to?
Speaker 1: I think he respect to other facts.
Speaker 2: We're doing it.
Speaker 1: So, Mike, what about this new one with him and Jesus and the chest rub no comment. There is no question that the Iran war, the Epstein files, the economy, half a dozen other crises are causing Republican support to bleed out as the midterms approach. But if they do lose the House, especially if they lose the Senate, and Chuck Schumer, not a reliable source, but certainly not a wild eyed one, said yesterday he thinks the Democrats are going to take the Senate this year. I guess he's going to resign and put somebody else in charge of the campaign. But he thinks the Democrats are going to win the Senate in the midterms. And if the Republicans lose the House at especially the Senate, depending on your viewpoint, either thank Jesus or blame Jesus, but not the Pope. The Republicans are in fact enjoying Trump doubling down on that part of this equation. Will someone please tell the Pope? He wrote, then his tired line about Iran killing protesters, the protesters Trump said he would protect and then didn't protect them, and saying all this is if Trump doesn't have protesters killed here, but about the Pope. If you're like me, spiritual, but you think all religions are wrong and maybe their leaders are a step down from telemarketers. You have to stand back and try to understand this. You have to look at it carefully and understand. This is as if three quarters of the world's population identified as firm fundamental believers in and to some degree is having based important decisions in their own lives, including how they live, who they marry, who they vote for, who they will comfort, who they will kill, based on which Marvel Entertainment French they like best. These are not Marvel Comics fans who have preferences and sort of chuckled at the other guys like the other ones. These are Spider Man fans who in their heart want to see all the Avengers fans dead. The Pope is the Pope Catholic? Why yes, yes he is. Is Mike Johnson Catholic? Why no, No he's not. He's a leader in the Baptist Church. Is Trump's base Catholic?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Almost, not at all. Would Trump's space actually have supported John F. Kennedy, a Catholic for president alive or as a reincarnated Catholic. No, no, of course not. Is Congressman Troy Nell's Catholic. No, no, and I really would find it hard to believe he's religious at all, but he's certainly not Catholic.
Speaker 4: Not after this, I've obviously the Pope needs to keep his business into leading his so to speak, leading the church, and probably stay out of the political arena. He doesn't need to be getting involved in the political arena. Go lead your church, but stay out of the politics.
Speaker 1: Right elect it.
Speaker 4: We didn't elect the Pope to be the president or be anything else. So just keep his nose in the church's business and stay out of the political arena.
Speaker 1: This is nothing new. Obviously, MAGA views Pope Leo as just another impediment, in large part because right wing governments have been attacking the Catholic Church since King Henry the Eighth, often with great reason. No one expects the Spanish Inquisition. As I said, I don't care, especially although I have been told that in the nineties the Pope used to watch me on SportsCenter, and of course, to borrow from the other legendary Chicago White Sox fan besides the Pope, Jeene Shepherd the o tour of a Christmas story, I will tend to listen to a white Sox fan more than any other human and about eternity and suffering, because, as shep wrote, if I were going to storm a pillbox, going to shear utter certain death, and the colonel said, Shepherd picked six guys, I'd pick six white Sox fans because they have known death every day of their lives and it holds no terror for them. That's your Pope. The problem with the strutting of clowns like Troy Nells, who took the cigar out of his mouth briefly to give those comments is when they try to expand, as Nils did, their potshots at one religion, which I can support in principle, into some kind of dictum against going into the political lane by all Bible thumpers. Well, if religionists can't talk about politics, that means no support for Trump from Franklin Graham or from the crazy White House advisor PAULA White, or from you know, any megachurch or evangelic or that whole crowd that cheered as Trump said he was eliminating the Johnson rule and now pastors could campaign for him from the pulpit, or any of the End Time's clowns or any of the dozens of active Republicans who have insisted in the last two months, we are in Iran because Israel is owned biblical support. In other words, explain that the Pope has no right to talk politics, and you wipe out virtually the entire rationale for supporting Israel as it is understood by Trump's own cult, because Israel to them is only one thing. It's a means towards the rapture, which some days I sit around thinking the rapture can't happen soon enough. The other question raised by Trump's continuing fights with the Pope and Jesus is simply how many wars can Trump start and handle at the same time, War against the Pope, war against Iran, war against reality. The last two have become the same. Now he again insists he is blockading the Strait of Hormoz, when the Navy is clearly not blockading the Strait of horm moves the Navy is blockading the ports of Iran. He can't tell the difference. Many of the ships from the ports of Iran would go through the Strait of Hormuz, but that's not a blockade of the Strait of Horror moves. Trump does not understand this. It's too much trouble for him. He probably also doesn't understand when Iran comes back as it did yesterday, to say, it will now raise the ante and if Trump doesn't down from the blockade, he literally couldn't tell where it is from his assor's elbow. It will now attack and block shipping in the Red Sea. But don't worry about that, explains Scott Besant, adjusting his glasses for the four millionth time and making sure his head doesn't fall off. Gas will be back under four dollars a gallon in the summer, the summer which was when it was supposed to be under two dollars a gallon before Trump's plans were screwed up by that evil trader, checks notes Trump. It's just too bad Trump's brain did not live long enough to see any of this. These quotes are from the transcript of Maria Bartiromo's interview with him yesterday. I just can't play clips of Maria Bartiromo. I don't think I can legally. I just can't listen to that voice. She says about the war. You keep saying, what was is this war over? Trump says, I think it's close to over. Yeah, he's previously said it's over. I view it as very close over. If I pulled up stakes right now, it would take them twenty years to rebuild that country. We're not finished. We'll see what happens. I think they want to make a deal. He has no concept that there is anything to a war besides blowing stuff up. Second topic, Bartaromo, did you see that Britain suffered the biggest growth forecast downgrade in the G seven, so their economy is impacted. Trump's answer, they got to stop with the windmills. No, true, Scotsman, Bartiomo. Moving to domestic issues. What are your top priorities now for the economy for the rest of the year. Trump, to be honest, we are doing so well. You look at this. I hit the fifty thousand dow mark. Look at me. I made poopy in the potty trainer, mommy. Trump really is fighting reality now, not just avoiding it. He again insists he's already beaten Iran, while insisting there will be ceasefire talks again minutely, or at least talks about starting new talks or I wonder if Trump is even being told how bad it is going for America, in the Gulf right now and in the world generally. Or is this like Germany nineteen forty two, where citizens and many government officials were actually told don't worry about it. The Luftwaffe has already totally destroyed New York City. There are lots of things in history. I don't know. One of the fun things about history is finding out those things. But it still startles me when I read something like this. This was in the in house magazine of NBC. The transmitter was just radio then from January nineteen forty three, and I tripped over this doing some other online research the other day. Quoting it, German prisoners transported to the United States express amazement that New York Skyline remains intact. Say they heard broadcasts describing how their planes had smashed our skyscrapers to rubble. There's just a sample of how our enemies use the radio to delude their own people. Put into practice Hitler's despicable theory that if lies are big enough, everyone will believe them. Make a Nazi perversion of an invention that is one of the world's greatest sources of good. One quote, NBC nineteen forty three apart from the fact that what you heard described in there is the America that much of MAGA wants to see in our future. And I mean I often get the feeling that given enough time FCC Chairman Brendan Carr, even from that influential but pretty dry office, even Brendan Carr, will somehow commit war crimes someday. I keep thinking that our present day version of the astonished German POWs finding out Goebbels was lying is Trump. I don't think it takes much effort to convince him not to listen to the bad news you don't want to tell him, But I think they don't tell him like the bad news about how it's going abroad, where the newly elected leader of Hungary, mad gr Pater Peter Magir if you prefer, just announced his government will not continue Victor orbn's policy of funding Seapack. The what now Hungary was funding Seapack? Wait wait wait wait wait. As my old colleague Juliet Kayam noted, Trump directed aid to Hungary, then Hungary sent money to Seapack. So is this a story of Trump washing taxpayer money and illegally contributing it to his own campaign if anybody would like to look at that, or talking about foreign bad news, the whole Pope thing. Guess where that's not going down? Well, Italy, you know where the Vatican is. We're an Italian reporter called Trump Trump who was apparently listed in the Yellow Pages under both despot and crackpot, and he got Trump to trash the Pope and Georgia Maloney, Or how it's going in England, where a Prime Minister Starmer once again yesterday insisted the UK will not get involved in Trump's war in Iran. But Ed Davey, who is the leader of the Liberal Democrats, who may be the third most influential party right now, maybe the second. What with the Conservatives melting trying to coalesce an all party move to convince King Charles not to make his scheduled state visit here, the King of England not to show up for the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of this country.
Speaker 5: A whole civilization will die tonight. Words I never thought I would hear from an American president, And though Donald Trump thankfully didn't follow through this time, these words are a start reminder of how reckless, immoral, and completely outside the bounds of international law. This president is, regrettably he is no friend of the United Kingdom. He's no leader of the free world. He is a dangerous and corrupt gangster, and that is how we must treat him. So will the Prime Minister advise the King to cool off his state visits to Washington before it's too late, because I really fear for what Trump might say or do while our king is forced to stand by his side. We cannot put his majesty in that position.
Speaker 1: You know, that really is the correct play for the King. By the way, among other things that are calm now but will blow up when Charles gets here. He won't be meeting with Epstein survivors, which is just that bad. As bad a plan as you could consider very unfortunate, as the most significant world figure implicated in the Epstein files just happens to be the King's brother. I think that may come up and closer to home. There are problems here too that Trump probably doesn't know about. One group of Democrats in the House is gathering steam for an impeachment bill, which will not succeed for another nine months. It won't, and a second group is gathering steam for a bill demanding that the Trump cabinet invoke the twenty fifth Amendment to depose Trump, which would take us to truly novel constitutional areas. But what the hell, We're already in them. And of course then the blowback against Trump takes us back to finish where we began with religion in America. Have you heard the name Joel Webbin. Joel Webbin is one of those bearded evangelicals without whom Trump drives up and blows away the good news on the evangelical front from Trump. Webin, president and founder of Right Response Ministries, Senior pastor of the Covenant Bible Church, and consultant to the First Church of the Gooey Death Now has asked this rhetorical question. Joel Webbin asks, is Trump the Antichrist? He's answered it, No, no biblical definitions. Trump is not the Antichrist. Congratulations, mister President, You're not the Antichrist. The bad news for Trump, Joel Webbin does say, quote, I genuinely believe Trump is currently demon possessed. Now at least that would explain him making out with Jesus. All se of interest here, you know, in the good old days, when I tried to warn everybody about Fox News. Fox News at least did big things like Billo once asking John McCain what he was going to do to protect the white power structure in this country. Those are the words the O'Reilly used. Now O'Reilly's time slot successor is obsessed with when the appropriate point in time is to whip it out. I swear, I swear he said whip it out, and that's what he meant on Fox. And he said it to your crazy maga grandma. That's next. This is Countdown. This is Countdown with Keith Olberman still ahead. On this all new edition of Countdown. I promised you a story a few weeks back about the finest French restaurant in Washington, DC, and I'm gonna tell it as it was told to me by the alleged recipient. There was a candlelight meal, there was an aspiring reporter, there was Ted Turner still in his drinking days, and there was a really effective slap next in another thing I promised not to tell. In the interim, we always have more new idiots to talk about. The roundup of the miscreants, morons and Dunning Kruger effects specimens who constitute today's other worst persons in the world. This edition is dedicated to Elizabeth Rose Halligan, a self proclaimed digital creator, for her threads bio, and she says she's working on a thesis on anti colonialism, which as a society we should encourage because this is a much bigger problem today, let alone through history, than most people acknowledge. On the other hand, as Marcus Aurelius observed, you are always entitled to not have an opinion on something. This was one of those occasions where she should have listened to the old Roman emperor and colonizer. This was after the Artemis mission. And I quote miss Halligan and clean it up just a little bit, so I'm not trying to knock the gesture here, she writes, I get the sentiment. I feel for the astronaut who lost his wife, as it was devastating to lose my father in law who I loved very much to gleoblastoma suddenly in twenty twenty three. But four astronauts deciding to name a spot on the efing Moon after one guy's wife, while the other eight billion of us down here have no input on naming s word on the efing Moon still feels like colonizer behavior to me, and she concluded, I don't care if one of them was a black dude, the one saving grace on that that last line that sounds really racist. No, she's an African American. The rest of it. Okay, let me just do some numbers here. There are two million craters on the Moon. One point three million craters have been mapped. The total number that have been named, like for the late Carol Weisman, the late wife of the astronaut, the total number of named craters out of two million is nine thousand and three. Apart from the idea that if this is colonizing behavior, it's not going very well for the colonizers, exactly how far do you want to take this, madam? If you buy one of those thirty five dollars certificates naming a star after your girlfriend and you give it to her for Christmas, are you colonizing one of the oh infinity stars in the oh infinite galaxy. Moreover, when the first human looked up and saw it up there there was no sign on the moon reading this is the moon. We humans named it the moon, and in several other languages it's other words that mean that and collectively we consider it our moon, Earth's moon, like the two moons going around Mars are Mars's moons. Is that colonizing it? Or should we let the moon name itself? Miss Halligan tried to answer everybody, pointing out that no, she is trying to knock the gesture here despite what she wrote, and no she doesn't feel for the astronaut, and that yes, anti colonialism is important. But if you see it in a guy naming basically a large pothole on the moon after his dead wife, if you think that's colonizing, you may urgently need to see a therapist. And whatever you do, do not call that person your therapist colonizing because they named a hole in the moon after the man's late life. Anyway, the metallists the worst bronze clavicular. If like me, you heard that name but don't know what that is. This is a college dropout twenty years old, learning challenged, takes excessive amounts of testosterone. Apparently hits his bone with bones with a hammer to recreate his face or something so he thinks he looks better, attaches the suffix max to everything he looks maxed, so he's dumb Maxed and hammer maxed, and in an interview with sixty Minutes Australia, he had a canned insult ready for the interviewer and it blew up in his face Maxed. So the only thing Maxed he could think to do after that was walk out Maxed of the interview. Maxed.
Speaker 3: You've obviously shared company with Andrew tight and now the dare I say, ratic controversial figures?
Speaker 1: Why do you spend time with pay for lock that?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: Have an I say, are you trying to? I see you want to make this uh political?
Speaker 1: Too bad?
Speaker 3: I didn't have time to look into you know anything about potentially uh you know who's who your wife cheated with? But don't try to go down that line of questioning uh with me?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: I mean, because I'm not doing any political I'm not married.
Speaker 1: Next time, Clavical, just try your mom. By the way, Clavicular's real name is Brayden and he's from Hoboken, New Jersey. So what he's maxed actually is he's loser Maxed. I'm Braden the runner up worser and the Oguls, the congressman who introduced the Assimilation Act a week or so ago to prevent nearly all immigration to this country, promising that then i'm Erica would look like America again, even though Andy o Ogels looks kind of vaguely foreign, maybe a little of Iranian, let me say. Anyway, Congressman Crazy is back with a new proposal that suggests maybe Congress isn't the right group for him to belong to. He might have been better off being in charge of the Monday matine at the Roman Colisseum. He tried to back out of the Eric Swalwell part of this. I don't think he really managed to do it too well.
Speaker 6: The allegations of rape are like, consending adults is one thing, but when you're targeting and you're a predator and you're raping young women, let's hang them. Rapist should be hung, period, no questions. And so now I'm not I don't want to secret surface to come. I'm not talking about Eric Swalwell. I'm not threatening a member of Congress. But the point is that we got to say enough is enough.
Speaker 1: Ah, So Congressman ogles, if it's not about Swalwell, are you saying President Trump should be hanged? And yeah, it's it's hanged, not hung, paintings are hung, Impeachment notices are hung. Wanted posters for corrupt or crazy congressmen are hung in the post office. People who you hang get hanged. Imbecile, sadistic, crazy, imbecile. And the Ogles who kind of looks kind of Iranian, just saying, but the winner the worst, same topic, the same topic as Eric Swalwell, and the winner is little Jesse Waters, host of a Fox primetime show and co host of its highest rated show, which is now on at five o'clock because most Fox viewers are now so old they cannot stay up for primetime even a little. They're just coming back from dinner at five o'clock. They're going to bed at seven forty five. There for Fox is officially out of new people to host their propaganda shows, and the lineup is almost embarrassing. Now Sean Hannity, so it is embarrassing, but the rest of the lineup is almost embarrassing. Jesse is profoundly simple, and at Fox this is a prize commodity because it is the simple people who desperately need to be on TV and will do anything to be on TV, who do not have to be told what to say by their brainwashing bosses. They look for things that they know will please their bosses, and Jesse found something that will rile up his boss and his audience on the five those ninety seven year old women watching him. I quote about Swallowell quote don't just whip it out. As an aside, Yes, this was on TV at five in the afternoon. Quote don't just whip it out. Allegedly he was just whipping it out in a car and broad daylight in front of the intern. That's not the moment you do it. It has to be done in the moment of maybe some passion. With the co host Dana Perino, realizing that Waters was now about to damage the eternal Fox damnation of Bill Clinton rule one of Fox Dialogue, she interrupted with never within intern. Waters then parrotied, never with an intern. But he's giving advice about when to whip it out. So, if you're trying to figure out what this was all about, what the whole Jesse Waters Stephen Miller is a sexual matador thing was all about? What all the other Jesse Waters inappropriate and amazingly unattractive attempts at the Big Sexy are about. I can't explain Jesse Waters worked at Fox News for a decade for Bill O'Reilly Jesse, right, you are, mister Mayhoffer Waters two Day's other worse person in the In Monday's episode, I told the story of Senator Chris Murphy of Connecticut reportedly meeting with a bunch of progressive donors or activists at a French restaurant in Georgetown in Washington, d C. To discuss what they thought was advancing their agenda and what he thought was an update for them on efforts to remove Chuck Schumer as the minority leader. Oh god, please, I told that story and there it doesn't seem to be an update on it, and we're still stuck apparently with Schumer through the midterms. But the whole story about where this happened, the venue, the Georgetown French restaurant, struck a chord with me and a memory deep in the back of my mind that is forty three years old, and for your purposes I think will have been worth the weight to the number one story on the countdown and the punchline. Yes, she hit him, but no, he didn't fall out of the chair. I have given you the punchline to the story. The climax of this entire saga. I am about to relate because I cannot in good conscience mention the name of the woman who told me that and the woman it happened to, the woman who hit him. But no, he didn't fall out of the chair. I will tell you that the guy who did not fall out of the chair, who she hit, was named Ted Turner. This is from nineteen I think eighty three or late nineteen eighty two, possibly in the early days of my first name in television with CNN, working for Ted Turner, when nobody but nobody knew who CNN was. And in fact, if you went into Washington, there were only three places in which CNN was visible. The Holiday Inn in Georgetown, which was next to the CNN bureau, in which we all stayed those of us who were not living in Washington working for CNN, the CNN offices themselves, and a bar down the street which was next to a graveyard across the street from the CNN headquarters at the time on Wisconsin Avenue, I believe it was. And then the third place was the Pentagon, where they used it because this was the first time they could see things live from Europe. And other places, because Ted spent money to his credit like it was going out of style, and like he knew that the news business was going to be immensely profitable someday, and it didn't matter how much he spent. The rest of us we were all terrified because he didn't pay us anything. And I was convinced that someday, with those meager checks, and with the seventy eighty one hundred million dollars a year he would add to his debt for CNN, we would somehow become individually responsible for part of that debt simply by endorsing our paychecks. It wasn't a fear based in fact, just paranoia, and in fact, if we were charged what we were being paid, well. I took a one third pay cut from part time work in radio to go work for CNN in nineteen eighty two, so it wasn't all that much to begin with. I literally had to bargain with them for five hours to get them to pay me twenty six thousand dollars a year to be the national sports correspondent based in New York, rather than twenty five thousand dollars. When they were paying me, I should add five hundred dollars a week freelance, which added up to twenty six thousand dollars. And then they offered me twenty five thousand dollars in a contract, and I said, why would I do that? And they said, well, again a contract, and I said, I don't want a contract. I want the one thousand dollars. Oh, I don't you want the security? I said, what security? This is CNN? How do I know you're going to be in business next year? Anyway, So forty odd years later, my prediction about how do I know you're going to be in business next year is finally coming true. Perhaps, but I have strayed from this wonderful story of yes she hit him, but no, he didn't fall out of the chair. I spent a lot of time in the Washington Bureau in nineteen eighty two and nineteen eighty three. In fact, I think I totaled it up, and it was something like over those two years, five or six months, usually a week or so at a time, going down to Washington and living in the Holiday Inn and getting to know a really nice and very talented group of people, many of whom went into the producers, that is, went into anchor jobs around the world, around the state, around California, around this country, and had brilliant successes in their futures. I worked with some of the more interesting people and and in fact worked with Daniel Shore, who was a legend of CBS News. I worked at CNN with Bernard Shaw, who was a legend both in reality and in his own mind. I met Gordon Barnes, who was a legendary meteorologist in Washington and New York. It was a great place in any event. Also, the hotel was pretty good and they cleaned up after me. One of the people I met on my often weekend responsibilities there was an intern who who managed to get herself a job maybe paying twenty dollars a week running camera on Saturday mornings. And I got to know her largely because she was a beautiful, six foot tall, super intelligent, blonde woman. And we'll just refer to her as her because she went on to a career in news. And I don't think she's ever authorized. I've lost touch with her, obviously, but I don't think she's ever authorized me to tell this story. And I don't think she'd like me too, because I believe she went into conservative of media at some point, So we'll just leave it out of her the story, out of her name. I do think that perhaps it would be justification here for telling the story based on some of the things she said on the air, but that would be small of me, and as you know, I never do anything small or petty about other people in the business. In any event, she and I got to be pretty good platonic friends. That was the premise going in. She didn't want to date anybody she worked with. So every time I would go to Washington, certainly the last year or so that I was down there, every time we'd go and have lunch and have a nice time. And she was great. She was funny and witty, and she had aspirations for going into the business. And she had already worked on Capitol Hill a couple of times. So although I think we were contemporaries in age, and I would have been twenty three or twenty four when I met her, she had lived an entire lifetime in addition to the one that I had. She'd worked on Little Hill, which meant she could run at about thirty five miles an hour in high heels if being chased by aggressive and unhappy men. In any event, that was the era of this of this story, in which sexual harassment was largely a challenge for women. When it got out of hand, usually a woman would tell other men with whom she worked, and they we would beat the crap out of the guy, or he'd be quietly fired, and there wasn't a big deal about it. This is not the nineteen sixties, in which it was encouraged and expected. This had already at least changed to a period of time in which women were entitled to defend themselves. And in fact this story may have been the first time that someone was reprimanded for sexual harassment and the victim was in some way compensated for it. And again late nineteen eighty two or the beginning of nineteen eighty three. So my friend was, as I say, startlingly attractive and really talented, and was doing this just to get a foot in the door, and was now having given up her political career aspirations, going to go into television. Well, one day she was working on a Saturday morning and up from Atlanta pop Ted Turner on something or another, some sort of I don't know, pursuit of a rare bottle of something to drink, I don't know, or perhaps to get in a boat, and oh, I don't know, not sink. I shouldn't leave you with the impression that I did not like Ted Turner. I did not like drunk Ted Turner. The Ted Turner who sobered up circ in nineteen eighty four eighty five after he met Jane Fonda and Jane Fonda saved his life. I like that Ted Turner very much. I've seen him a couple of times since then, and I liked him very very much, the drunk Ted Turner. He and I almost had a fistfight once. In any event, Ted got one look at my friend and immediately went over to her and made an excuse to talk to her separately. And so, little girl, what are your aspirations in this business that can't be running camera on Saturday morning? I'm I the Inn Bureau. You've in watching the DZ And she said, no, I have. I'd like to go into television full time, probably on the air. How about we have dinner. So she's telling me this story. The next time I was in Washington, probably a week or two after it actually happened, and she said sure, and I said, what are you thinking? What did you do that for? And she said, well, she said, I worked on Capitol Hill. There's nothing he can do that I hasn't been done to me already. I can really run fast in these high heels. And I said, I bet you can. I said, uh, I bet you can. And we'll just leave it at then. Okay, So now I said, well, let me know what happens. And one night I went back to New York. And one night I got a phone call from her at about ten thirty. And it was really a surprise because long distance phone calls, even from Washington to New York were really expensive in nineteen eighty two or eighty three. And she reported the following and we discussed it many times thereafter, and as you'll see, I didn't just let her story stand. I checked it out. I was a good reporter on this little story. She agrees to go and meet Ted Turner for dinner, and Ted picks someplace inconspicuous seventeen eighty nine restaurant in Georgetown, the finest French restaurant in Washington, possibly on the East Coast, certainly one of them, certainly top ten in the country, and the fine dining and violins playing in the background, and everything shimmering and ship shape, and the whole idea. You could eat off the plate or you could eat off the floor. And she sits there, and she sits down, and he's already ordered the wine, and she says, he starts to talk, and if you think I can talk drunk, ted T could talk literally for twenty four hours without interruption. He was once late to a meeting with the National Football League Players Association while it was out on strike because he talked and did other things with a flight attendant in what was supposedly a dumpster at O'Hare Airport in Chicago for twenty four hours. Anyhow, on he goes about his career, and as he always told people, for reasons, I never quite understood the details of his father's suicide and how CNN was financed and how precarious everything was, but how he was convinced that this was the future of news, and this was the future television, and also this would bring about world peace, and on and on and on and on in that wonderful accent that sounded like a bunch of southern bees talking to you, I had my pleasures of two full days with Ted Turner and once at a football game, and I heard this vo since sometimes it comes to me in my nightmares again, drunk Ted Turner. Ted Turner sober had a much higher and much much quieter voice. I liked sober Ted Turner a whole lot, and I was very glad that he became that. But we're talking about drunk Ted Turner who's out to dinner with a twenty dollars a week camera person at his bureau. And by the way, he is married. He has a full time mistress who already has a show on one of his other networks, and he probably, if you define girlfriends in the broadest possible terms, has three hundred to four hundred other girlfriends. At the time, he is telling this woman of all of his riches. And finally, after the meal has been ordered and it is a spectacular French meal, she said, it might have been the finest meal I ever ate, and I have been to all the restaurants in DC, because remember I used to work on Capitol Hill and I used to win races every week with congressmen and senators. She says, it was beyond belief. And finally, finally he pauses and says, well, that's my story, a little girl. What is it that you want to do in your career, because it can't be what I found you doing? Run the camera and my my than Am Bureau in Washington, DC on Saturday morning. I checked into it. I know you're making twenty dollars a week. I didn't know we could legally pay anybody just twenty dollars a week. And she says, well, mister Turner, call me Ted. Well, Ted, I want to go into television and I'd like to be a newscaster, and I figure I should start so I know what I'm talking about as a news reporter. And he says okay, and he takes out she says, a business card, and she can't see anything at the distance. The table was so big. It's a fine French restaurant in Washington, seventeen eighty nine Georgetown, and she's watching him write something on it, and finally he holds it up to her and now she can read it across the table. It says I R Ted Turner, give you and herein he actually remembered her name and put it on the card. A three year contract for a total of one hundred and fifty thousand dollars. So that's fifty thousand dollars a year. And for your frame of reference, I had just gotten a raised to forty thousand dollars a year, and I was the national sports correspondent, like their lead sports guy in the field. Fifty thousand dollars a year for a woman who is making twenty dollars a week for him, And it says, I, are Ted Turner, give you a three year contract for a total of one hundred and fifty thousand dollars as a reporter for the new CNN bureau in Detroit, Miami. And I can't remember where the third new CNN bureau opening in nineteen eighty three was supposed to be, but that was the third city, Detroit, Miami, and wherever signed are Ted Turner. And he holds it towards her and then pushes it towards her, and as she reaches for it, just to grab it to read it a little bit more clearly, to see what it's actually saying. He's giving me a job as a reporter based on dinner. I haven't even said anything, she said to me, as he holds it out to her, and she reaches for it, he yanks it back towards his own neck. It's now even with his own neck, and he says, uh uh. Up in my room, as I said, Cindy went to dinner with Ted Turner because of her confidence. She said, you don't know what I've done to senators and staffers and a few congressmen over the two or three years I was on Capitol Hill. I know what to do. I know what to do to make sure this doesn't happen again. And she said this time, I was just, for some reason, so frustrated by the fact that he had never until that point, two hours into this evening, let me say more than about three words. I didn't even get to order the meal, she said. Something just snapped inside me. And I stood up, and I leaned in as if to give him a kiss. And when he leaned forward and stuck his head up towards me, I hit him. I slapped him with an open palm right across his face, she said. And it was a really good slap. It was a full contact slap. The palm of my hand, she said, still hurts. I'm holding the phone with my left hand, and I usually use my right hand. For the phone and talking to you. I've got it in the other hand because the other one I got some ice on it earlier, and I'm going to have to ice it again before I go to sleep, she said. And then I got up and left and called a cab, and happily, my major major reaction to the entire evening, she said, was well, that was a great meal. I forget what it was she had. I think she had some beef dish. So we leave Ted Turner having just been slapped by a six foot tall blonde with a really big wingspan. I mean, this woman was, as I said, super intelligent, and obviously she made it into television. She was an anchor for many years, at least twenty five years, and then I think she went into Republican media, back when that was not necessarily an indication of insanity. But in any event, she was. She was gifted athletically as well, so I mean he probably got seriously hurt. Well, this is only the first part of the story, and that's the story I heard that night. The next day, I was awakened by a phone call at about seven am, and I'm like, oh my god, who's who? Whatever? I have to go somebody in sports is dead. And it's Keith, it's and it's her. I said, what what are you? Okay, yes, I had to talk to somebody. I know I woke you up, but you already know the backstory, and I didn't want to go through the whole thing again. You're just not going to believe what happened. I said, well, you hit him right. Oh no, that was only the start. I said, Oh god, what did he do? Nothing? No, no, that's not no, no, I just I got to call at about four thirty, summoning me to the Washington Bureau. I said, four thirty. It's and I looked at my watch. It was seven am. I said, it's seven aa. What he used to be four to thirty this morning. This has already happened. Yes, they told me to come in. How quickly could I get in? And I get into the bureau before six o'clock. And there's Bill headline. That's actually his name. He was the head of the Washington Bureau. Headline was his name. I don't know if it was Cha or h Ed. If it was Hga, he changed his name. If it was Ahd, he had prophetic parents. Bill headline, the head of the CNN Washington Bureau and somebody else from HR in Washington, and the head of human resources, and this was not even titled human resources. This was like head of personnel for all of Turner Broadcasting had flown up from Atlanta. There are no over night flights, I don't think. I don't think there were then anyway from Atlanta to Washington. He didn't fly commercial. They put him on a private jet and send him to Washington in the middle of the night. So he must have gotten the phone call at midnight or one am. And he is sitting there, and she is sitting there, and the head of the bureau is sitting there, and there are other lawyers there, and she's thinking, oh my god, they're really going to go to this much trouble just to fire me because I didn't sleep with Ted Turner. And she says the Atlanta guy then says, Miss such and such, we are aware that there was an incident last night with mister Turner and on behalf of the Turner Broadcasting Company and all of its legal affiliates and organizations. We would like to apologize in full. Mister Turner is under a great deal of pressure because of the economic conditions about CNN, which I understand he informed you of, and we would appreciate it and take it as a great courtesy to the rest of us who work here if you did not share that information with anybody. But we understand if that's not going to be your attitude towards this, but we just wanted to apologize to you, and mister Turner would be here himself, but he is obviously stricken with remorse, and I'm thinking he's stricken with a hangover it dude. Anyway, so the story is told to me, continuing with this unbelievable outcome that now unfolds in front of this woman whose hands still hurts from hitting Ted Turner at seventeen eighty nine the restaurant in front of everybody on a busy weeknight in Georgetown in the year of our Lord nineteen eighty two or eighty three, and she's realizing that they have not brought her in to fire her. They brought her into to apologize or something. And they go on and Bill Headline says, this is what we'd like to offer you right now. We can't add you to the reporting staff, but we'd like to offer you a kind of ad hoc training program so that you can become a reporter sooner rather than later with US or somewhere else. But in the interim, we'd like to give you the kind of experience that most reporters find really valuable. We'd like you to work on the assignment desk. And she, of course knew what the assignment desk was. It was the busy place where you've made logistics and sent camera crews here and there, and tried to arrange interviews and decided what stories required which components. It was a very good training ground. There was another woman working there already, named Catherine Kirk. You may have heard of her. I don't know how she got there. I presume it was by no means resembling this one in any event. Now now she's beginning to understand they are offering her, not just according to Bill headline, a job on the assignment desk. And again she's making twenty dollars a week and is technically an intern at CNN. And Ted Turner has just propositioned her, and she has just hit him in public with an open faced slap. She said, I may have hit him hard enough to knock him out of the chair. I never even thought of that. She has hit him, and now they are offering her a job on the assignment desk, and here comes the punchline. We'd liked to offer you a contract for three years here for twenty five thousand dollars a year. I don't know if anybody at the assignment desk was making twenty five thousand dollars a year. But you may remember from earlier in this long story that when I first went to CNN full time, they offered me twenty five thousand dollars a year to be on the air, like six times a week. Twenty five thousand dollars in CNN nineteen eighty three money was a boat load. Ted may not have made twenty five thousand dollars a year. So she goes okay, and they said, all we need from you is a is a signed promise that you're not going to take any legal action against mister Turner for the unfortunate episode last night. And she said sure, because she had worked on Capitol Hill and she knew how things worked. In the nineteen eighties, the best way to deal with a sexual harassment attempt was to turn it into something to your benefit. And she had just been offered what, as I said, might have been the first time officially a television network compensated a victim of a manager's sexual aggression. She went on, as I said to I believe, a twenty five year career as an anchor, and then into conservative media. But I was still not totally satisfied by this story, delightful as it was. And so next time I was in DC, which I think was a week or two later, I went to seventeen eighty nine. Not to eat there because it would have consumed most of my month's salary, but I went there to find out. And even then, even at a place like that, a ten dollars bill will buy you all sorts of information. And by happy happenstance, the major d on duty at that time said, I was not here that night, but of course we all know about it. But the bartender saw the whole thing. He'd be able to tell you. And so I went and bought him a drink, and I tad a drink, and he told me, and he confirmed every one of the details. She hit him as hard as I have seen anybody hit anybody with one slap. She should go into martial arts. This was before there were a lot of women boxers. I knew never to mess with her. And that's when he said it. The final story, the final part of the story. Yes, she hit him, She hit ted Turner in front of everybody. I didn't hear what happened beforehand, but there was something with a business card. And then she stood up and moved in like she was going to kiss him, and he tilted his head up. And yes, she hit him, but no, he didn't fall out of his chair. I've done all the damage I can do here. Thank you for listening again. I only have that confirmation from the guy at the bar, and of course the story as it was told to me by the slapper whose name I'm leaving out of it. I never brought it up with Ted. I wouldn't know if he would remember it, or would have remembered it then, or how often something like that happened, or maybe it didn't happen allow for that possibility. I just don't you know. I wasn't there when it happened. She was. Our musical directors have Countdown or John Phillips Chaneil on keyboards and handling, orchestration and Brian Ray on guitars, bass and drums, presumably slaps the drum every once in a while, and their work is produced by Tko Brothers. Nancy Fauss, the best baseball stadium Morganist ever is responsible for our satirical and pithy musical comments when we do play the sports music. It's the old theme from the Olberman Show on ESPN two, written by Mitch Warren Davis Curtisy of ESPN Inc. As an aside. You know they wanted to call that show. The first name of that show on ESPN two was KO, and I said, people are going to think it's a boxing show. So they actually had things printed. They had swag that was printed, like bags and t shirts and things that read KO and the name of the show is Olberman. Other music arranged and performed by the group No Horns Allowed On My announcer today is my friend Dennis Leary. This program was produced by Ted Stevie Rose and Kit. Everything else was as always my fault. That's countdown for today. Day four hundred and forty two of America held hostage yet again, but just one and eleven days until the scheduled end of his lame duck and lame brained term unless he is removed sooner by Jesus H. Christ, or by doctor Jesus or by doctor Johnny Fever. The next scheduled countdown is Monday. Bulletins is the news merits until the next one. I'm Keith Olramman. Good morning, good afternoon, goodnight, and good luck. Countdown with Keith Oldreman is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.