Speaker 1: Thirteen Days of Halloween Penance, a co production of iHeart three D Audio Blumhouse Television and Grim and Mild from Aaron Nanke. Headphones recommended, Listener discretion advised.
Speaker 2: What is it a map? It doesn't look like any map I've ever seen. I know for a fact someone uses to escape. Well kind of, we just have to crack the code. Concentric circles, maybe the different cell blocks? Are they around? I don't know. What about these symbols? This one in the middle looks like an eye. Hmmm, we're gonna need help. What about our neighbor frip. Yeah, I wish, but he's made it clear he doesn't want to be involved. I'm sorry. I don't have more to offer. It all seems so complicated, but it can't really be right, Like if the staff used these to get around. Some of them are dumb as bricks, especially the guards.
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 2: Well, it might be a suicide mission, but there is one more person I can ask, no, no, no, no, am I crimes?
Speaker 4: How do I get back?
Speaker 2: Crimes?
Speaker 4: I have to get back. I need to get back.
Speaker 2: It's me Saury.
Speaker 4: Saori, Wait, tell me which one? Which one? Are you?
Speaker 2: Same as always, God crimes. What happened to you? They just locked you up like any other prisoner.
Speaker 4: Happened to me? What happened to me? What happened to me? Every time I think I have it and lose it and then.
Speaker 5: I've lost them, I've lost I've lost it.
Speaker 4: I'll never be allowed to leave, I'll never be able to go back back.
Speaker 2: But where do you want to go? Back to crimes?
Speaker 4: Where?
Speaker 5: How can I say? How would I tell you? If I can't show you? It's just I've just lost again. The kid hold it? The kid hold it?
Speaker 4: Please? Please sorry me help me?
Speaker 2: Let's say I can. Will you do something for me?
Speaker 4: Something?
Speaker 6: Anything?
Speaker 4: Nothing?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 6: Some?
Speaker 2: Any none? If I get closer, will you stay calm? If I hand you something, will you promise to give it back? You have to promise or I can't help you.
Speaker 4: Mm hmmm mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Have you ever seen anything like this before? It's that yeah, yeah, the Pendleton.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, that sounds right.
Speaker 2: Can you tell me? Is this really a map?
Speaker 4: The map? I see I have one? Right?
Speaker 5: He put my keys, put my podcast, they took them, They took everything.
Speaker 7: Hey, hey, hey it's okay, it's okay.
Speaker 2: Just focus now. This is very important how does it work?
Speaker 4: How does it work?
Speaker 2: The map? Do you know how it works?
Speaker 4: The map? No?
Speaker 2: No? Did you before?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, do you know who does?
Speaker 4: No one?
Speaker 2: No one knows.
Speaker 4: They did. Someone did along long time ago? What hell? Everybody forgot it?
Speaker 2: But wait? If no one knows how it works, how do you use it?
Speaker 4: The white rooms?
Speaker 2: White rooms?
Speaker 4: There? The doors?
Speaker 2: What kind of doors?
Speaker 4: White doors?
Speaker 2: Where do they go? Well?
Speaker 4: I was supposed to where I went? But where I still land? Where I will be and never leave and never be alone, never alone. I will never be alone again. I will never be alone again, never alone. I will never be alone again.
Speaker 6: I will never be alone again.
Speaker 2: Have you ever seen one of these white rooms? White rooms? Doors glowing with light? My second day hear I ran through one behind the cafeteria. At the time, I wasn't really sure what I was seeing, But now I wonder if that's a portal to another part of the pen or maybe out of here. I know where one is? Really where at the end of the hall?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 2: How do you know that I used it to get here? I always do? But why have I never seen it? I don't know. I can only ever seem to find it at night and what You just waltz through, no problem except that it is loud inside. Okay, it's settled, then we go that way. I just have to figure out how to break out of my cell. Let's see what we have to work with your pillo. It's where I keep the extent of my earthly possessions. Besides one esoteric map that may or may not be too cryptic to use. There's this key I built in the machine shop that probably does open anything, but works wonders at scraping away mortar. One book the mirrors. It's interesting, actually I should read some of it to you. This necklace, yeah, the pen returned that to me, but it's not mine. I had one really similar, but the other half of the moon, I think it's mine. Really wow, that's uh oh well, hey, please take it back. You don't want it. I'm just keeping it in my pillowcase. You might actually get away with wearing it here. Let me. They also returned my juicy fruit. Do you want a piece? Maybe later? I think you are forgetting something. Well, there's just cold. I was given fifteen sixty, but as that was a product of my own deduction, I'm starting to think it's as worthless as the key. No something else?
Speaker 3: Come here?
Speaker 2: Okay, closer, closer.
Speaker 8: One, Bobby?
Speaker 2: Oh, right for my haircut for maximum security. This place can be pretty lax. Hey, you don't think we could? Could we use this to pick the lock? Yeah? No, Well, at least I'll be able to keep my hair out of my eyes. Anything else not that I can think of, looks like this? Is it?
Speaker 9: Oh shit?
Speaker 2: What? Well? It may be crazy, but I have one idea for the come or maybe the book.
Speaker 10: Lock up two minutes.
Speaker 9: Everyone in your cells.
Speaker 7: Hey, no problem, boss, happy to oblige.
Speaker 2: Right, Rodriguez, but quietly.
Speaker 4: When loves of which.
Speaker 10: You Calcutta, it's Martinez, Eureka, Ready as I'll ever be?
Speaker 11: Which way over here around the east corner. I can't believe this has been here the whole time. You want to go first? For good luck, I'd rather follow you. Here goes nothing.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm here. Where'd you go?
Speaker 12: This way?
Speaker 2: I can't see you?
Speaker 1: Follow my boys?
Speaker 7: It's so loud.
Speaker 2: Almost there?
Speaker 13: Now?
Speaker 2: What are you? Okay?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Why are we in the bathroom? There's so many baths. I'm never really sure where they will lead. This is a lot nicer than ours. They even have toilets. Maybe this is I don't know, the executive.
Speaker 9: Wing, carpet, wallpaper.
Speaker 2: Or definitely not in sea block anymore. Which way. Yeah, I'm gonna say this map is useless. We're just gonna have to pick a direction and try it. It would help if we knew what we were looking for. Okay, here, do be damned. If we see this ax again, we'll know we've made a circle. Run hide.
Speaker 14: Sh you want to get out of the closet.
Speaker 2: Okay, there are practically a million doors here. How about this one, the kitchen, the laundry.
Speaker 7: What's that?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 7: Trash?
Speaker 2: A swimming pool? Feel like a dip. Maybe we can swim to safety. Uh No, not me. You can't swim. I just don't like water, did jim? What they call the recreation area around here? Don't you recognize it? Hmmm? I don't think so. I could have sworn I saw you here once, really from a distance, but I don't think you saw me. What's that the Panoptogon tower and all seeing eye in the the eyeball on the map. If that's the tower, it's right in the middle, and maybe from the top we can see a way out. I can't see inside one way glass. It's probably crawling with guards, but it might be our best chance, or our only chance. I'll go if you call well, no one on the first floor. That is the longest spiral staircase I've ever seen, thirteen fourteen. What are you doing counting the steps twenty fifty ninety one to fifty? I can't believe it. They aren't watching anything. There's no one in here, and why would there be. There's nothing to see, no outside, no sky, just more and more rooms and corridors and cells.
Speaker 7: This is fucking hopeless. What does the map say?
Speaker 2: The map? You mean this fucking paper weight? What do you want to do now? I feel like I fucked this all up. We almost had everything we needed. We could have made it. We should have. I should have waited till I knew more, until I had a plan, a real plan. This was slap dash, it improvised, impulsive. I took our one chance and wasted it. We are not dead yet. Come on, let's go down and look around some more. On forty nine, on forty seven, I'm sorry that was pathetic. There's really no precedent for this situation, but that's just like me to completely lose my cool at the dumbest possible moment. Mercurial my mother used to call me. Really, I feel like I'm getting better. If nothing else, my time here has taught me a little bit of patience. It's been a hard lesson to learn. All the best lessons are You are really remarkable, even if this escape ends up a huge failure. I'm glad we got to do it together. Me too. I can't believe this, but I I don't even know your name. I'm cy Si. Yeah, you know, like ci Ah right, I'm Lily Lily, like the flower Lily. That's nice. It's a nickname, really a translation. Don't tell anyone, but my real name is Sayuri. Wait what.
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 4: What are you doing?
Speaker 15: You can't be in here?
Speaker 9: Shit is way get back there.
Speaker 7: This is the same hallway as before. Hurry, that's my axe on the wall. Come on faster. Wait what are these doores even? Say? C nine one one, B twelve forty seven A fifteen sixty? Wait what the store fifteen sixty? The code locked?
Speaker 13: Shit?
Speaker 2: But what if we have to hurry? This is insane?
Speaker 7: But what if the key I made good?
Speaker 2: God of incomprehensible mercy. It's another white room.
Speaker 3: Go through.
Speaker 2: Hey, I made it. Come on, Lily, where'd you go?
Speaker 12: Are you there?
Speaker 2: Hey, Lily?
Speaker 11: Help me?
Speaker 7: I'm stuck.
Speaker 2: Fuck fuck fuck?
Speaker 13: Okay, okay, maybe she found her own way. Yeah, yeah, yeah, maybe she's just on the other side. I just have to make my way through. Okay, maybe maybe over.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, summi, maybe this out? O? How does anyone now? Okay? Okay, go slowly?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Where am I moment?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 2: Front office?
Speaker 4: Hold?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 2: How did I just one moment? Please?
Speaker 7: Front office?
Speaker 15: Are you still there?
Speaker 2: Just another moment?
Speaker 15: Please?
Speaker 2: Thank you for waiting.
Speaker 15: Now do you have an appointment?
Speaker 2: Miss? Oh? You're asking? Do you have an appointment to see him? Him?
Speaker 7: Why?
Speaker 2: The warden?
Speaker 7: Of course, the warden.
Speaker 2: I found. No one sees the warden.
Speaker 15: Not without an appointment. But he has a free minute. Now if you can be quick about it, I run office. Yes, all right, let me put you on hold. Please through the door now.
Speaker 7: Please thank you.
Speaker 9: I'm not an office.
Speaker 2: Are you still there?
Speaker 15: Okay?
Speaker 2: Please continue.
Speaker 8: Statistical analysis of the last fiscal years suggests an overall two percent decrease in the retention of staff within the facilities and.
Speaker 3: Perstruction two percent.
Speaker 8: However, oh dear it seems that there was an oversight in a collection of data from the outset, calling the validity of the entire survey into question.
Speaker 3: The entire survey is based on the officer's analysis of the analysis.
Speaker 8: Will need Oh dear, you're.
Speaker 4: Not gonna like them.
Speaker 3: Just tell me a.
Speaker 8: Full review of the review process between all department heads and we both know.
Speaker 4: What that means.
Speaker 3: Wait, don't say it.
Speaker 8: You'll need to assemble a new subcommittee to investigate the incongruity.
Speaker 3: No anything, but is there really no other word?
Speaker 4: Please?
Speaker 3: I'm begging you. Oh my sorry, so sorry? Hello, Please come in.
Speaker 8: First things first, we'll have to submit the applications to request the properly.
Speaker 3: My apologies. Did we have an appointment?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I please have a seat?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 2: Where right?
Speaker 3: Please? So what is this about?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: I I should know, But the truth is I've been a little behind schedule since. Oh well, honestly, I'm not sure there is any tax to catch up. So we don't have to do what we can while we are. But why don't we start with you? What is your resident number? My resident number? You should have been given one during your requisition before there was a full accounting of your personal effects not to self investigate review process to verify standard procentures with requisition offers in regards to best practices. Yes, they did explendid and the number it was alpha?
Speaker 2: Something was I expected to remember that?
Speaker 4: M How about your name?
Speaker 3: We could cross reference ALPHA residents by name.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the thing.
Speaker 7: It's Siuri Martinez.
Speaker 3: Martinez, Martinez, MARTIEZ. Let me see, let me see. Oh oh well that's odd.
Speaker 2: What what's on?
Speaker 3: You said it was under alpha?
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 3: Well, then we have a problem here. Oh dear, what is it? Two five one alpha one beta, both with the resident number s AE one five six zero. You said Rodriguez or Martinez Martinez.
Speaker 2: It's always been Martinez Martinez Martinez.
Speaker 3: Oh dear, I see what happened here? This can't be you books shouldn't of course signed off one doctor Raymond?
Speaker 4: But why.
Speaker 16: Run of there?
Speaker 3: Can you get doctor Raymont on the phone?
Speaker 4: Please?
Speaker 16: But sir, every line is already on hold. We can't take another call, let alone make one.
Speaker 3: Oh bother, I do apologize. We'll have to hurry this along.
Speaker 2: Are you going to tell me what's going on?
Speaker 3: HM? In this world, miss Martinez, there are certain feparencies oddities. Cases you couldn't call unnatural, because all are in some way of nature, but its most capricious tricks to form. There are too many descriptives to choose from, some societal, some spiritual, some scientific of them all, I prefer the term anomaly. Time and time again, history has shown that public life functions at its most harmonious with the minimum of these anomalies in its midst And that is what our facility is for. Perhaps rather assuredly during your time here, that the pen is not like other places. That is my design, as far back as anyone remembers, and indeed long before I myself held this office, the directive has been clear. To detect, to locate, to procure, to study, to rehabilitate, if possible, but above all, to separate these disruptive elements from the rest of society. Excuse me.
Speaker 2: Saying that's true, Then what does it have to do with me?
Speaker 7: Are you trying to say that I'm one of these cases?
Speaker 2: Then what makes me anomalous?
Speaker 3: Maybe you, maybe her, maybe neither of you, except for the fact that you shouldn't be here together.
Speaker 7: So it was a mistake, a grave one. Then let me go, Let us go.
Speaker 3: I wish I could.
Speaker 2: You're the warden.
Speaker 7: Are you in charge?
Speaker 3: You know the last time I left this desk, Miss Martinez, me neither. I am not in charge. The system is, I am, but its implement less than an extremity, not its head, not even an armor toe, a single nerve operating amidst a chain that cannot be broken, at least evolve from the inside out. You may feel that your liberty has been stripped away. You must, but know that mine has long been dead and buried.
Speaker 16: Sir Section C is calling a ten to seventy four, possibly too two.
Speaker 3: Ten seventy fours. Oh dear, do we have the filesport?
Speaker 16: I'm looking, but there's some confusion on the name. Seems like a filing air between two primary cases.
Speaker 3: We'll need to completely change the agenda just one moment.
Speaker 16: Well, I don't think now.
Speaker 2: Is that's about me? Isn't it?
Speaker 4: Or he or both of you?
Speaker 2: They're coming, I'd say, they're on their way to throw me in my cell. We're solitary again or worse. And then what mm hmm.
Speaker 3: You may have heard it's impossible to escape this place. Idious bye and bye. Everyone gives up. But that doesn't mean you have to.
Speaker 2: I thank you, but I don't understand. Why are you doing this?
Speaker 3: Because I know it's hopeless, But why should you believe that just because I said it?
Speaker 7: Pendleton with its million fucking doors, Oh.
Speaker 2: You can't escape, but you can follow a million stories and land on your ass right in the middle of a what even is this place?
Speaker 6: Say?
Speaker 12: Really, where did you we got away?
Speaker 2: I did too. Listen, we gotta talk about something, you and me. I think I know what you're going to say, that you are and you are, but we're not not what the same like I am me and you are you unless I've got it backwards. Either way, it's nice to find you again. Yeah, I guess we'll circle back on that. Okay for now, maybe we still have a chance. But where are we? Is this a water treatment plant?
Speaker 14: Seems like a solid guess, feel like a swim now?
Speaker 8: Whoa?
Speaker 2: Well, we can fit at least for the moment. If this gets into a wade through sewage, crawl through shit situation, I'll make it. If it gets above neck deep, you might have to leave me behind. I would never What was that?
Speaker 9: Hide control?
Speaker 7: Go ahead desalination?
Speaker 4: Now is did side you? What you are going to runs? Through that pipe. What if you get stuck? What about windsor tide comes even tied?
Speaker 11: You know there's only one way out of this, your choice to make it difficult tide?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What about that valve?
Speaker 9: Got them control?
Speaker 4: Prepared?
Speaker 2: Descaling? I'll be with this.
Speaker 9: What exactly do you think that's gonna do?
Speaker 2: Why don't we find out together?
Speaker 4: Back up?
Speaker 2: That's it?
Speaker 9: What did you think would happen?
Speaker 7: Flush them out?
Speaker 4: Nut yet? Be scally?
Speaker 7: What initiate? Be scaling?
Speaker 2: Shit? Now get over here and we'll make it.
Speaker 9: Step otherwise you can wait there and drown.
Speaker 2: Is this the end? Looks like it?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 2: There is actually one thing I forgot to mention? What no time? Just pass me your necklace.
Speaker 7: Okay, now now close your eyes tight.
Speaker 2: Whatever happens, don't open them until I say so, Okay, got it closed.
Speaker 9: This is it.
Speaker 7: I'm counting to five.
Speaker 2: Perfect one mana tru manaa mana mana mana.
Speaker 8: Happening?
Speaker 11: Just get your eyes close.
Speaker 2: A scaling solution, And dude, I guess that was a bluff. You can look now where did they go? What was that a gift someone gave me? Seems more like a curse? That too, Come on, God, that's cold. I don't know how I'm gonna do this. You might want to take your shoes off.
Speaker 7: Is the water getting deeper or is the pipe getting smaller?
Speaker 5: Maybe?
Speaker 7: Both gneeze, waist, shoulder, neck.
Speaker 2: We're going to have to swim for it.
Speaker 7: I I'm not sure I can hold on to me.
Speaker 2: We'll go together.
Speaker 7: Okay, okay, big breath.
Speaker 9: You'll be Yeah, I'm fine.
Speaker 2: Did you see it? What the lights up ahead? I didn't see any light.
Speaker 7: It's some kind of opening.
Speaker 2: I'm sure of it.
Speaker 7: Whatever happens, swim towards it. Okay, whatever happens.
Speaker 8: What do you mean?
Speaker 7: Eyes open, straight ahead, Swim.
Speaker 2: As fast as you can.
Speaker 9: You got it.
Speaker 2: You're you're not.
Speaker 11: Gonna hold on.
Speaker 2: You'll be faster alone.
Speaker 13: We both will, okay, Hi ready, okay?
Speaker 3: Three?
Speaker 2: Two h.
Speaker 1: H h.
Speaker 6: I see ye see shall bye, see see show bye, see see show bye, see fallow Save God.
Speaker 2: Show guy, See fellow.
Speaker 6: Save God, Show guy, say fellow, Save God.
Speaker 12: Show Lily, Lily, m hm, Lily, can you hear me?
Speaker 2: I can see it. There's good life.
Speaker 7: It's it's the outside.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, I see.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 1: Thirteen Days of Halloween Pennance, starring Natalie Morales. Episode eleven Escape written by Alexander Williams and Matthew Riddle, featuring the voices of Alex Bowling, Tara Buck, Jay Jones, Raphael Corkil, Rachel Rosenbloom, Anam and Noah Feinberg. Directed by Alexander Williams. Executive producers Aaron Manke, Noah Feinberg, Chris Dicky, Matt Frederick and Alexander Williams. Supervising producers Trevor Young and Josh Thain. Producers Jesse funk, Rima Ilkali, Noami Griffin, Chandler Mays, and Casby Bias. Script editing by Lauren Vogelbaum, Story consultants Ben Bolan and Matthew Riddle. Casting by Sunday Bowling CSA and Meg Mormon CSA. Production coordinator Wayna Calderon, Production assistants Jenna Johnson and Winona Lowe. Theme music by Rose Azerti with vocals by Anna Hummler, recorded at This Is Sound Design Studios in Burbank, California. Engineered by ross Erronel Special thanks to Romelia Osorio, Nathan Rule, Glen Nishida, and Rob Mosca. Thirteen Days of Halloween was created by Matt Frederick and Alexander Williams, and is a production of iHeart Podcasts, Blumhouse Television and Grim and Mild from Aaron Makee. Learn more about the show at Grimandmild dot com. Slash thirteen days and find more podcasts from iHeartRadio by visiting the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. Happy Halloween,