Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. Welcome to the program. It's hour one on this Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Morale is high because Chris Mannox is going to join us at about twenty minutes from now. We're always in a better mood when Mannix joins us, we'll talk to some basketball. Should we be allowed to critique Ronnie James? Lebron says, lay off here, So we'll talk to Mannix. He'll join us in a little bit. Daniel Jeremiah NFL Network, he's at the combine and I want to ask him about the possibility of the NFL changing its kickoff yet again. How many kickoffs do you think we're returned in the Super Bowl?
Speaker 3: Super Bowl fifty eight? How many?
Speaker 2: If you said zero, I think you'd be correct. I think there were thirteen kickoffs and none were returned.
Speaker 3: It's all part of the chess, man, is that what it is?
Speaker 2: I just love the chess match, so the most exciting play in the biggest game of the year, and no kickoffs returned there.
Speaker 3: But there is help on the way.
Speaker 2: We'll have that for you coming up eight seven to seven three DP Show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle. A DP show stat of the day is always brought to you by the great folks at Panini America. The official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. This first hour brought to you by Panini, the only place to collect the all time greats, hottest Rookies, biggest superstars. The official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show, rare inserts, memorabilia cards, autograph cards, official classics.
Speaker 3: They have it all for you.
Speaker 2: Start a continue collection out Panitiamerica dot net. All right, so a couple of items here when you got some football news. Sean Payton talking about Russell Wilson certainly sounds like to me that they're moving on from Russell Wilson. Also, Mel Kiper had his mock draft, his latest mock draft, and it feels like every mock draft that I've seen has the Broncos taking JJ McCarthy from Michigan. That would mean Russell Wilson on the outside looking in. And Sean Payton has not made any secret of the fact that they are at least exploring that possibility. And then there's going to be a deadline if they do keep Russ on the roster. What it's going to cost them they might have to take a thirty seven million dollar cap hit and move on from Russell Wilson, and then maybe somebody else like the Steelers, would pick him up. Some have suggested maybe he goes to the Jets and sits for a year behind Aaron Rodgers. Well, there's no guarantee that Aaron Rodgers is only going to play one more year, but that was suggested. So there's a lot of drama going on. And then you have the Chicago Bears. The Chicago Bears are on the clock. The Bears aren't interesting. The situation is interesting. Are they going to take Caleb Williams? Are they going to stay with Justin Fields. We'll explore that coming up, because it feels like they're a little more attached to Ryan Poles' words. He's the GM of the Bears. He didn't draft Justin Fields, and he spoke yesterday and he had this to say about his quarterback.
Speaker 4: We're open minded as we walk into the combine. If it hits me that there's something you know worth capitalizing on or jumping on, that's what we'll do. If something doesn't feel right and we need to gather more information, then we'll wait. But again, I'm always gonna have in my mind to make sure we do right by Justin.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're gonna do right by Justin. No, you do right by the organization. That's what you This isn't one of those man, this isn't good for the organization. But we want to be good to Justin Fields. It's a business. He understands that. Are you going to stay with him? Then you have to pay him or you start over and you take Caleb Williams. So there is intrigue here of what it does to the rest of the draft. So you might say, well, I don't care what the Bears do. Well, you might because it might affect who's going to be available or not be available, just like last year. You might not have cared. But then all of a sudden, Carolina is going to go up and get that, and then c J. Stroud goes to Houston, they go to the playoffs. So there's a lot more attached to this, and we'll discuss that. If you're the Bears, what are you doing. I know you want to give the impression that hey, we're open for business, but we want to do right by Justin Fields. But we may take Caleb Williams, we may take somebody else. This is what it comes down to for me. Does Caleb Williams want to play for the Bears? If he's drafted now, he's from Washington d C. They have the number two pick in the draft. I would have to at least factor that in if I'm the Bears. Well, if you haven't met with him, he's not going to be at the combine to work out. Is he going to sit down with you? Is he going to tell you, hey, don't take me, I want to go to Washington. He hasn't said this publicly. Do you want to ask that question to Caleb Williams?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: I would he comes in and I would say, hey, I'd bring in a jersey. I'd bring in his you know, number thirteen jersey and say we're ready for you. Like find out you're already gonna move on from Justin Fields. It certainly feels that way that do you want to keep a guy you didn't draft and hasn't proven to be a franchise quarterback? I would rather make the mistake, if you want to call it that, that I take Caleb Williams and maybe he's not as great as I think he's going to be. Then Justin Fields goes to Atlanta and becomes an all pro. Caleb Williams, I feel a lot more confident with him coming in in his rookie deal than I do Justin Fields. And I got to pay him twenty five million, then I'm gonna have to pay him forty five million dollars. So you got to factor that in. How much do you really love Justin Fields? And if you're the Bears, why wouldn't you just say we plan on having Justin Fields as our quarterback as of right now? Okay, so that means everybody who wants to go up and get the number one pick, now you're open for business. Now you can take in all these trade offers. Or if you say, hey, we're gonna move on from Justin Field, Hey we're gonna take a quarterback, We're going to start over, then the bargaining begins for I don't know if there's any secrets here.
Speaker 3: I think it's basically, do you want Justin Fields all right? What are you going to give us?
Speaker 2: Or you want to give us some outlandish package for the number one overall pick. Okay, let's say the Raiders go crazy and go we're going up to get Caleb Williams. Okay, then we move down and then maybe we even trade again. Maybe you keep Justin Fields for another year, pay him twenty five million. But if I'm the Bears, you either have to make that decision. It's Caleb Williams. We're not passing on a quarterback again, and we did last year. We're not going to do that this year. Or if you feel like Justin Fields is your guy, then everybody knows. Let's put together trade proposal for the number one overall. But where he's talking about, we have to do right by Justin Fields.
Speaker 3: Now you don't.
Speaker 2: Hey, hey, we want to make sure that he finds a home here. Hey we're gonna pay his moving call. They don't care, and you shouldn't care. It's business. He gave you three years. He didn't impress you enough that you're going to keep him. He's not a franchise quarterback in Chicago. Then he goes someplace else and then all of a sudden, you're on the clock and you take Caleb Williams or you at least entertain offers here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, pul Ryan Poles, the Gym of the Bears did a lot of interviews in Chicago yesterday, and a lot of the speculation change from is that cayleb Williams or Justin Fields? Who could it be other because he's so noncommittal. Could the Bears trade down a couple times and go on to completely different direction where it's more about stockpiling draft picks and taking a different quarterback or signing a different quarterback. Okay, that was just very I wonder if others in play. Okay, Seaton brought this earlier this morning. It feels like the Bears. It's a paralysis by analysis. When you go to a restaurant where you can.
Speaker 2: Get a steak or a burger or ribs, or you could get pancakes at any hour of the day, and then you can't decide. You look at one of those menus and you go, I don't know. The Bears, it feels like they could be approaching that territory. They got the menu. There's so many things on the menu, and then do you screw it up? How do you screw it up? Can you screw this up?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 6: See, because I wonder too how much the Bears are looking at, well, maybe we trade the pick, maybe we look at what quarterbacks are going to be available free agents wise, or is there a trade there about maybe there's maybe we don't draft a quarterback and instead we get a bargain on Russell Wilson or something.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, Or if they like all three of the top three quarterbacks equally or similar.
Speaker 6: It's never it's taking none of them. I wouldn't get any of them. That if they're like, I don't know, they're all kind of the same, I wouldn't take any of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, golly, but it's the Bears, So everything's on the menu.
Speaker 5: They don't know their quarterback, they don't know where they're playing in a couple of years.
Speaker 2: Yes. Other than that, congratulations, Just keep hitting the reset button though. Yeah, we're going to keep passing on quarterbacks here.
Speaker 5: That's the only passing they do.
Speaker 2: Yes, nobody passes the way we do when it comes to quarterbacks. All righty, poll question today is going to be once see.
Speaker 6: Most likely to be on a new team next season, justin fields, Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins. Oh, that's a same yeah, boom, throw it right in your face, right at you. So it could be all three, but you're saying most likely, most likely to be honest.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've said all along that Kirk d Cousins and the Vikings are together forever. I don't think Sean Payton wants Russell Wilson Junior the third You don't, No, I don't really what gives you that impression? I'm I'm gonna go out on a limb and say, here is a Sean Payton talking to reporters.
Speaker 7: I saw this like humorous meme the other day where there was a Bronco fan with a shirt on and there was like eight quarterbacks names across through it, you know, and he's drinking the quarterback kool aid.
Speaker 3: And our job is to make sure.
Speaker 7: That this next one, you know, doesn't have a line through it.
Speaker 3: The next one. Not not the current one they have, it's the next one.
Speaker 5: Yes, he didn't accidentally say next one, meaning the next quarterback like the one after Russell? Did he mean that or misspeak?
Speaker 8: Well?
Speaker 5: Did he mean the next one like the next one on the shirt?
Speaker 3: I took it as the next quarterback? We get, so did I.
Speaker 5: But that seems very committal to a direction for a franchise. Not even that's not even like cryptic, as they say.
Speaker 2: I don't think there's any secret of the fact that Sean Payton and Russell Wilson are not on the same page and probably not on the same sideline.
Speaker 3: I just don't see it, you know.
Speaker 2: And even when you know Russ and Sean are on the sidelines and Shawn's right in his face there, I mean, Russ doesn't change his temperament there. But I mean he's thirty five. Where did the magic go?
Speaker 3: His man?
Speaker 2: Did he have it in Seattle? And all of a sudden he got to Denver and he just didn't have that mojo? And now if you're Pittsburgh, do you say that's the guy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Pauline.
Speaker 5: In twenty twenty two, Russell had fifteen starts and the Broncos were four and eleven, and he was bad sixteen touchdowns, eleven picks, and everyone jumped off the bandwagon. Last year the Broncos were seven and eight, non threatening, but seven and eight he was a sixty six percent passer with twenty eight touchdowns and eight picks. In theory, you would love aquarterback to throw us twenty eight touchdowns at eight picks, but it didn't feel great at all.
Speaker 3: Wait, they only played fifteen games. He played fifteen games Russ played fifteen, Yes, oh, oh okay.
Speaker 5: If Russ was seven and eight, twenty six touchdowns, eight picks, But it felt I don't.
Speaker 2: Think that there's numbers, yes, and there's numbers like numbers don't lie when you go, oh okay, fourth quarter, comeback, all of those things you could put up. You know, Ryan Tannehill had a career of Hey, those aren't bad numbers. There, even Kirk Cousins where you go, those aren't bad numbers.
Speaker 5: Three years ago in Indianapolis, Carson wentz through twenty seven touchdowns and seven picks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you probably don't remember any of them. Yeah, it feels like it feels like they're going to move on from Russ. Feels like the Vikings are to keep Kirk Cousins. And I just get the feeling if that GM didn't draft Justin Fields, you're not fully committed to him, because you'd already say, look, we're keeping him. Now come up and give us a trade proposal, because they did that year. We see how that worked out. Yeah, Martin, if you're the Falcons, do you try to go after Justin Fields or Russell Wilson.
Speaker 3: Oh, Justin Fields? Yes, I mean I want to see what I have with a young group there, and let's go out and have fun. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Why, well, he's from there, and I think putting him on turf inside. He's got some weapons there and maybe they maybe they accept who he is. The Bears wanted him to throw from the pocket. The GM even says, well, he's got to improve from the pocket.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: I think if I'm Atlanta, I just go, hey, guys, let's be like the Ravens. Let's have some fun here. Put some pressure on the defense there. Doesn't mean it's going to be successful, but I think it would be fun. It's like Kyler Murray. You know, Arizona, you're in with Kyler Murray. That's a different kind of offense than you know most teams have, so utilize his talents. I would try to use. I would say to justin Fields, do your best to stay healthy the entire season. Good luck, good luck. But our approach is going to be to have you be the dual threat that Lamar Jackson is, and you're going to run the ball. We're going to put pressure on the defense. You got Bijeon, you got Pits, you got London. We have some weapons here now, we need to utilize those weapons. Let's go out and have some fun. Yeah, point, I.
Speaker 5: Think you're absolutely right. It's like when they told Cam Newton to stay in the pocket after his MVP year and he's like, I'm not running anymore, or Michael Vick, let's stop the running justin fields and bijon. You want like eleven hundred yards out of one and fifteen hundred out of the other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, see.
Speaker 6: But there's only been something like thirty four quarterbacks who have won the Super Bowl in the history of the game. Okay, and Russell Wilson is one of them, and he's also gotten you there again a second time. I think people undervalue how difficult it is to just get there, let alone win one. And then, in the face of the promise of a kid who has three seasons to prove that he could do it, so far hasn't shown it, but I don't Maybe if we gets exactly the right temperature inside the dome, maybe he can. People grossly undervalue just getting to the super Bowl.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not even talking about getting to the super Bowl in Atlanta. I'm talking about getting to the playoffs. So I'm talking about being relevant. Russ is thirty five?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Do I want to have a thirty five thirty six year old quarterback with that young group. I would roll the dice and say, we're gonna, we're gonna, We're gonna try this. Plus you know I can get Justin Fields. What am I gonna have to pay for us? Is Russ gonna come in and go I'm gonna pay for play for one dollar? You know, Hey, I want to prove that the Denver made a mistake there. I mean, they're both gonna cost you, but Justin Fields, I think coming in proving something young and a good group there, that would be fun. I mean that that's just my feeling on it.
Speaker 3: Have some fun.
Speaker 6: How did Russell turn get thirty five already? I don't know the hell how did that happen? You know, his spiritual advisor passed away. That was a couple of years ago. And maybe yes, and we had him on the show.
Speaker 2: Nice guy, and that might have had Russ doesn't seem Russ gives you the impression that he's really confident, but I don't think he's been confident there. And now you have a coach that you know has yelled at you on the sidelines and has talked about, hey, we're exploring the possibility here. That's a you know, he was going to the Hall of Fame. Now all of a sudden, is he going to be a backup? Is he going to be taking the minimum veterans minimum to play court? Like it's wild to fall from grace there, but feels like Denver's moving on because Sean Payton is going to won his next Drew Brees and he realizes it's not Russell Wilson Junior the third yeah point.
Speaker 5: Unless Russ can somehow pull off the Kurt Warner come from nowhere back half of the career. Even though Kurt Warner didn't complete the deal with Arizona, getting Arizona the super Bowl was like winning a super Bowl.
Speaker 2: He made it to the Hall of Fame because he got Arizona to the super Bowl in my opinion correct. And he even said, what do you think I have to do? And I said, if you get Arizona to the super Bowl, you'll make the Hall of Fame. And I'm thinking in getting Arizona to the super Bowl. And then he did, yes, Mark and performed great in the Super Bowl. If it didn't take an amazing pass from Ben Roethlisberger. He wins a Super Bowl with the Rams, who were always the sorry as Rams, and then the Cardinals. Right well, Also I found the meme. Okay, so it's a guy drinking a beer with names crossed out. Simeon Osweiler, keenan Keenum, Allen, Locke, Bridgewater, Russell Wilson all cross cross downrrect. So he's saying the next one, Russ has already crossed it. He is already crossed that. Yes he is sorry, Yes he is.
Speaker 5: Hackton Lenz never forget.
Speaker 3: And Russ has his house for sale in Denver hell pricey, Yes it is pricey. Yes, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know if JJ McCarthy from Michigan will be able to afford that if he goes yes time.
Speaker 8: I'm not a Russell.
Speaker 9: Wilson apologist, but I watched enough games to know that there was improvement from this past year to the year before. And you could blame it on Hacket or whatever. But when they let him roll out and have the option to buy some time to get these young receivers open, they're far better in their offense. When he's allowed to run, I know he's not there. He's thirty five and he can't run the way he is.
Speaker 3: Do you think Sean Payton would understand that? I mean you did, Yeah, but you have.
Speaker 9: I watched every game and when he sits in the pocket, he just gets sacked over and over again.
Speaker 8: When something positive happens, it's.
Speaker 3: Because I watched on record.
Speaker 2: You're going to make the decision Broncos keep Russell Wilson or do they move on and draft a quarterback time.
Speaker 8: I think they move on, but I wouldn't have a problem.
Speaker 2: No, no, I want you to know we've made the decision. You can't do both. I'm saying what I would do with the Broncos, will do what the what you would.
Speaker 3: Do if you're running the Broncos.
Speaker 9: Ultimately, with all these young quarterback options. I'm gonna preface it by saying, yeah, I guess they got.
Speaker 2: To move on.
Speaker 9: It's not what they signed up for, not at that salary. And if they couldn't, Okay, now it's your choice, my choice. I would give Russell Wilson one more shot. Okay, I think the Broncos will move on, but I would I wouldn't be totally I wouldn't be heartbroken if they ran it. Back with him and mixed up the offense a little more to have him run some more. But I could see the Broncos and after those arguments on the sideline, it's going to be very hard to believe that they're going to stay with Wilson.
Speaker 3: That clears that up. How about we take a break here. Chris Mannick's going to join us. Coming up.
Speaker 2: Should we be able to analyze Bronnie James as a future NBA player? Lebron says, back off, let him just be a kid. We'll talk to Mannix about that back after this Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 10: Hey, I'm Doug Gottlieb. The podcast is called All Ball. We usually talk all basketball all the time, but it's more about the stories about what made these people love their sport and all the interesting interactions along the way. We talked to coaches, we talked to players, We tell you stories. You download it, you listen to it.
Speaker 11: I think you like it.
Speaker 10: Listen to All Ball with Doug Gottlieb on the iHeartRadio app. Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 2: Age seven to seven to three DP show. We'll get to your phone calls coming up. I think we settle on a poll question which quarterback is more likely to be with a new team, Russell Wilson, Kirk d Cousins or Justin Fields.
Speaker 3: That's what we're going with. First hour, Seaton correct Monday. Okay, any updates early returns yet on this poll question.
Speaker 6: I think that this is a little recency bias, not really, but right now fifty six percent of the audience have Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins staying right where he is.
Speaker 3: Though, yeah, I believe so.
Speaker 2: I think the Vikings are going to say, hey, we want you back, here's your deal, and that Kirk, who's made a lot of money in his career, will say all right, I'll stay here.
Speaker 5: Yet, Plus, you know Kirk, he doesn't want to pull his kids out of school.
Speaker 3: Now, you know, and can't do that. You can't do that.
Speaker 2: Chris mannix Sports Illustrated. They're a senior NBA writer back on the program. Always great to see Chris. Let me start with the All Star Game? Is there any fallout from how bad that basketball was?
Speaker 5: That?
Speaker 2: Is there anything you could do, or the commissioner or the players Association are going to say, you know what, let's make this something a little bit more appealing.
Speaker 8: I think there will be attempts DAN next season to modify the game once again. I think something that's on the table right now now is a USA versus the World type of game, which would be kind of the latest incarnation of what this game has been. I think there's been and there will continue to be conversations about upping the financial incentive to winners of this game. We saw that work to some effect with making the ND season tournaments a little bit more competitive, and the NBA is going to try that. But when I think of the All Star Game, DAN, I'm reminded of something that the great Larry Merchant, who covered boxing so many years for HBO, once set about boxing, and that's you can't save it and you can't kill it. And that's kind of how I feel about the All Star Game. I don't think it's going to get appreciably better because today's NBA players simply don't care about it, and it's never going to go away because regardless of what people like you and me think about it, it's still going to draw up between five and seven million viewers every single year, which would be the equivalent of the highest rated regular season game that the NBA has.
Speaker 2: I suggested yesterday, just off hand, how about the first team to two hundred, so there is some kind of incentive or that, you know, you get to two hundred, you win the game.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean that's not I mean, that's it's kind of similar to what they did with the elam ending right where they you know, put a score up there and said, whoever gets that score first wins, which is great at the end of games, but doesn't do a heck of a lot making it more interesting in the very beginning. I think what's what made this past All Star Game so much worse is that in years past it's been that bad. You know, it hasn't been two hundred points for one team record scoring bad, but it's been a bad game. It's been salvaged to a certain degree by the fact that the last few minutes or competitive that you had guys for at least five minutes during that game competing like it was an actual game. This game didn't have that because it was out of hand, you know, really by the start of the second half and there was no competitive fourth quarter. So all the NBA can hope for I think moving forward is that the game stays close enough that we get some of those moments down the stretch where we had it. Was it a year ago when it was Jason Tatum versus Jalen Brown who were on opposite teams. You know, maybe you get Luca, you know, versus Giannis on opposite teams. I think that's the best the NBA can hope for at the All Star Game.
Speaker 2: And I would love, you know, the rest of the world versus the United States. But let's say I did that this year. Who were you taking If I give you the world or you take the players from the United States.
Speaker 8: I don't know, Dan Like one of the conversations I've had with league people about that is, while you know, there's a natural inclination to believe that that would make the game more right, like if you're competing for your country and you're competing for the world, it has sort of an Olympic style vibe to it. The problem is the two guys that were the most indifferent to the All Star Game were Nikola Jokic and Luka Daci. Like they could not have cared less about the outcome of that game. You know, Jokic was just there trying to win mills at the end. Luca took a seventy five footer in the second quarter. He went for two for one at the end of the second quarter from seventy five feet away. This is These are not guys that are acting serious about that game, and I'm not criticizing them for it. You know, if I'm Luca and I'm Jokic and I just want to relax Overall Star weekend, That's kind of how I would treat it. But I don't think getting you know, the best of Europe and Asia together on the on one team is going to suddenly get the motivational and competitive juices of Luca and Nikola Jokich.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it can't hurt.
Speaker 2: So I think you have to look at these and say, all right, I think that they would play harder because they are It's US against the NBA, you know, the United States. So you would get Canada and then you would get the rest of the world. And I would take the rest of the world versus players from born in America.
Speaker 8: Yeah, in a vacuum, Yes, I would probably do that, and I think it could create some interesting storylines going into the game and some fun narratives. But Dan, I've never known you to be this kind of wide eyed optimist to think that it would suddenly make these guys care about the outcome of the game. And the only thing would make these guys care is if, like, you know, some gambling outfit came in and offered, you know, three million dollars for a player for the winner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but fans, I'm fans would hate that that we have to incentiviize you for playing in an All Star game.
Speaker 8: Now, that which brings me back to the original point. You can't kill it and you can't save it. It's going to be exactly what it's going to be. Lebron said that, hey, let's let Bronnie be a kid and back off here. But he did say at one point, what a month ago, that Bronni could play for the Lakers right now. And then I started to wonder about that comment by Lebron. Was he hyping his son or was he saying to Laker management, this is how bad we are. I'm trying to figure out, because you know how passive aggressive Lebron is, but now he's saying, hey, maybe hadn't lived up to your expectations and the mock drafts, let's just let him be a kid. But Lebron has hyped his own son right before a very eyes. I think it's a little bit of both. That you know, off the cuff comment about how Bronny could play in the NBA right now, when it was said at the time the Lakers were still going through a process where they weren't very good and there were opportunities for that team to get better via trade. And we know the Lebron's done that. Offen did that with the hourglass, you know, tweet, you know, just before the trade deadline. He is constantly putting pressure on the front offices of the teams that he plays for. The problem I had with Lebron hosting about everybody should kind of back off Bronnie and let the kid plays is to your point. He's the one that has made the media interest ratchet up to an all time level. Dan, I'm mount in La a lot now. I've been to half a dozen USC games. I've written about Bronnie, you know, three or four times already and will continue to over the rest of this college basketball season. I'm only doing that because Lebron has put it out there that not only does he believe Bronny can play in the NBA, but he has put it out there that he wants to play with him. So the landscape of the NBA could shift seismically if we're to believe what Lebron said what was a year or so ago, that he wants to play with Bronnie. So, for example, if a team like the New York Knicks is in the back half of the first round this year and says, you know what, we've got enough young talent, We've got great depth. Screw it, Let's just use our first round draft pick draft Bronnie James and see what that means when it comes to Lebron and him wanted to play with his son. That's the reason the interest is ratcheted up to the level that it is because Lebron has created it. So I think it's disingenuous to be critical of the mock drafters and the reporters that are watching Bronnie's every move because the reality is that Lebron put that spotlight on him by tying his own future to it.
Speaker 3: And when I saw the mock drafts.
Speaker 2: You know, here's Bronni coming back from the heart condition and he needs a full year and needs to come back. I think people are afraid to say the obvious is Bronnie is not an NBA player. He's not even close to it right now. He's you know, third or fourth best player on his own team. Here is he all appearances a good kid. You know, he knows the game. He you know, sees the court, can pass, plays defense. But he needs to stay another year. I think when the mock drafts put him in, because then you get more clicks. If you look at these mock drafts, Chris, and I know you have, most of the players are from Europe. The top ten players. You might get a player out of Kentucky, or you might get a player out of Colorado, and everybody else is from overseas. Here put Bronnie in a mock draft, and all of a sudden you care. You don't care about some guy from Perth who is French and he could go second overall. And I think that I think my feeling is mock drafters putting Bronnie in did a disservice to him because he is not an NBA player certainly right now.
Speaker 8: I think that's there's truths to that, because you know, last year you could do mock drafts and generate interest because it was the Victor Webbin Yama year and the fascination with him was incredible. This year, I don't think that mock drafters are necessarily throwing him in there because it will generate more web traffic. That's definitely a byproduct of it. But they're doing what I'm doing and talking to a lot of college scouts and asking every single day, is this kid getting better? What is his draft potential? If he was on the board when you drafted, say in the second round, would you take a flyer on him?
Speaker 7: Dan?
Speaker 8: I agree with you. I am not a draft knick, but I've seen a lot of Brownie this year. As of right now, he is not an NBA player. I think he has the potential to become one, because I do think he has elite defensive skills and I think he is a pretty good playmaker who, if given more time, can develop a more consistent three point shot. But he is probably a full year away from developing that shot, and quite frankly, Dan, he should be. He had a near cardiac event. He had a cardiac event near death over the summer. Took him four months to get back on the basketball card. He was on a minutes restriction really throughout the month of January. So it's not unusual at all that he is slowly developing in his first year. The best thing he could possibly do, I think it's been made easier because he can make a lot of money staying in college now, is to stay in school, keep developing, and then going into next year, let's see where he is, because I do believe that he can develop into a first round pick with one more year of seasoning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I get it, and you know I understand it.
Speaker 2: But Lebron put a spotlight er, you know, a brighter spotlight on his son and didn't let him just be a kid when you mentioned he could play for the Lakers before I let you go, At what point will we buy into the Clippers being legitimate?
Speaker 8: I think we have to already be there. They've had a little bit of a blip since the All Star Break with their defense, but I'm not overly concerned with that. I was talking to some Clippers people actually over the weekend about you know, what makes them a little bit different this year, and the obvious answer is health, right. I mean, Kawhi and Paul George missed a bunch of time last year, they haven't this season. A lot of talk about the MVP conversation right now. I think Kawhi should be squarely in it and be more in the conversation because of how he's played, how good that team has been since a slow start. But the real reason Dan that we should take this team more seriously is James Harden. I mean, that's the reality of it. I had questions about James Harden coming into this situation with the Clippers. I thought he might be a little bit too me first, going into a really important contract year. He has been the opposite of that. He has been a facilitator from day one. He's taken a lot of pressure off of Kawhi and off of Paul George, allowing them to just be finishers and not have to worry about, you know, playmaking and being an a sis guy. You know, during games this season, there was a great stat somebody brought to my attention over there. He has made the Clippers the ultimate closers, right, And this was as recently as a couple of games ago, but they were thirty one to one in games that they led going into the fourth quarter, and that they attribute a lot of to James Harden. His ability to take over games with his playmaking and later round down the stretch with his shot. He has had just an overwhelmingly positive impact on the Clippers, and I think that's raised them to a level they haven't been in years past. Because Dan, they have been searching for years for a point guard. How many point guards have they cycled through over the last five years. They brought in Rajon Rondo, they brought in John Wall, they brought in Russell Westbrook. They have been looking for somebody to claim this position. James Harden's done that and he's made them so much better.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I go back to Pooh Richardson. You know, they've been looking for great to talk to you again, Bud, So you got it.
Speaker 9: Damn.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 6: Chris.
Speaker 2: That's Chris Mannock's senior NBA rider for Sports Illustrator. Take a break, got our play of the day up next.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 3: Oh my God, the play of the day. Left my God, it play. This is the play of the day.
Speaker 1: Check this out.
Speaker 3: Leave it at inbound just to the left of the Cavs bench.
Speaker 9: All we leave best afflicted by Mobily, but crap i dotch it dunch its bounce underneath the PJA.
Speaker 5: He laid it in.
Speaker 3: With two point six to go, Cam's out of timeouts. Tru send the Mobly back to Max half Ports shot got god.
Speaker 2: That's courtesy of the Cavaliers Radio Network. Fifty nine foot game winner, the longest game winner since Davante Graham at sixty one footer. Pelicans meet the thunder that was back in twenty twenty one. What's your play of the day? Play today brought to you by.
Speaker 3: Express Employment Professionals. Help hire your next pro.
Speaker 2: Forget about posting jobs, sifting through resumes, interviews with unqualified applicants. Move up to the pros. Go to expresspros dot com. You'll find the location nearest to you. That's expresspros dot Com. Sho hey Otani made his spring training debut, and this is how it sounded.
Speaker 3: Three and two to show hey Otani swung I hit high in the air to the left in d this Bob carry.
Speaker 1: This Pa is gone.
Speaker 3: It is Dodger debut. That's what they've been waiting for.
Speaker 2: That's courtesy of AM five seventy LA Sports, the Dodgers radio network. There's certain players when they hit a baseball, it sounds different than anybody else, and Show Hey Tani is one of those players. And it's just when you go and then you'll have players take batting practice, and there's certain times when you go, ooh, that sounds different, and you'll just look and you'll see who it is in the cage. Now, Sometimes it's somebody you know, somebody you expect to have the ball jump off their bat. Other times it could be I've mentioned this before. First time I saw Jack Peterson play for the Dodgers and he hit a home run and I went, oh my god, that ball sounded different coming off his bat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, PAULI.
Speaker 5: By the way, I was watching the highlights, and do you know what, show Hey Otani looks like in that Dodger uniform.
Speaker 3: He so awesome, a superstar awesome.
Speaker 5: The glistening white pants and you couldn't see through them, and I was really looking, Oh okay, the blue jersey. Isn't it fascinating that someone could have what we thought was Tommy John surgery and he's right back in the batter's box a couple months later.
Speaker 2: Well, I think they keep saying it's a procedure, that he's already had Tommy John surgery. But I don't know if this time around it's Tommy John. Now he throws right bats left. I don't know what kind of impact that has or allows you to swing as freely as he does, because when I heard that he was getting Tommy John, even if it's on your right arm or right elbow, you still have to swing the bat.
Speaker 5: But I think it's a procedure that he had. PAULI, you're correct. Otani's agent, nas Bello Belelo. I'm sorry. He did an interview in mid December for the update on his progress, and he said it is not Tommy John surgery. It has no name. That's how uncommonness. Procedure was not surgery procedure. They use that word.
Speaker 2: So it's gonna be the show. He Tani surgery Otani? Yeah, Oh, did you have the Otani now the Tommy John.
Speaker 5: Oh Otani is the newer model, Yes, and he said the progress and timetable is already way ahead of typical Tommy John surgery timetable. Okay, Tani, that's a good name.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I don't think you want it. If it works, you.
Speaker 5: Want it, and it seems to be working.
Speaker 2: Well, are they going to change you know the Achilles surgery that Aaron Rodgers had. You know Tommy John got his own surgery named after it. Is Aaron Rodgers going to get this because his procedure was a medical advancement with that kind of injury, Yes, mar maybe, oh.
Speaker 3: Maybe he's gonna get it.
Speaker 2: Maybe it was a medical advance Yes, same doctor as Joe Heyo, Tony correct. Maybe maybe we name it after the doctor he seems to be the most important person in all of this.
Speaker 5: His name is doctor Neil l. Atrasche.
Speaker 3: Yes, Marvin.
Speaker 11: You know what, do they win one hundred and ten games and win the World Series? Or do they not even care about the regular season? Just don't lose to the Diamondbacks in the divisional round?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, take that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the beauty of baseball where you have the regular season and we put so much emphasis on the regular season and you get to the playoffs and it doesn't matter.
Speaker 11: I'm with see and I'm ready to go back to a to two best teams with the best records meet in the World Series.
Speaker 3: Now, that's why they keep expanding.
Speaker 2: It's more money. They want more money, more teams, more excitement. It's just like March madness. Hey sixty eight, No, let's go to ninety six.
Speaker 3: And I'm all for that.
Speaker 2: But if your team doesn't make the postseason, you lose your job. Like, let's add some drama to this other than everybody gets in. And I like how the NCAA is you know, he's talking about an inclusion. Let's get more teams. You know, you have the regular season to qualify for the tournament. That's why we have a regular season here.
Speaker 3: Yeah. See.
Speaker 6: Do you ever notice that the more we continue to tinker with sports, the more like convoluted and meaningless they get. But then it's like, no, no, no, this is how you add meaning back into it, when if you just took it as like whoever wins the most games is the winner.
Speaker 3: Uh, it's pretty simple, it's pretty basic.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Now, you gotta have playoffs, you gotta have revenue. We have extra layers of playoff games. Oh, you can never have too many playoff games, right in any sport.
Speaker 6: Yeah see, we won the whole season, right, but now you have to do this other second mini season where it all starts over again. But now that's the one though that really matters, is the mini season.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have six months where you proved your greatness, but you can have a two week period where you're off a little bit.
Speaker 6: And now you're a massive failure. Sorry, you're one of the overrated teams of all time. Yeah, all right, one hour in the books, two more to go. We'll go to the combine. Coming up next hour, the NFL is looking to adopt a new kickoff. Hmmm, we'll talk about that.