Speaker 1: Any switch to him understanding, Jem just sent her feel and it's gone, Wow.
Speaker 2: His first big league swing is gonna be a grand slam, a home lone swing.
Speaker 3: Good time to look to them, Soup. Welcome back to The Call Up, your go to podcast in the future starts in Major League Baseball.
Speaker 2: We've got a picture heat sheet today.
Speaker 3: We're giving the pictures some love here on the episode Arm Late and Elijah Evans. We got arms from all different levels that we're gonna discuss today, and it feels like we've been due to give the pictures a little bit of extra love, and we're gonna be doing plenty of that today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got a fun list, man. We did hitters last week. We had some some promotions to get to it's some other things. We only really had time for hitters in the heat sheet. Today, we're just gonna focus solely on the pitchers. I got a list of like twelve arms here, I think thirteen arms here that are all really shoving right now, from top down from triple A all the way down to single A. So it's a fun group here and we'll jump right into it. Man with with a guy and Owen Murphy that we were really excited about and talked a lot about in twenty twenty five and twenty four. Actually even really is when we I think for you, he really popped up on the radar fully and then had surgery, went down, comes back late last year and then into this year, like he basically just skipped double A. They essentially used double A as like his like getting back in the groove process, and even though he wasn't actually performing great in Double A, pretty quickly goes to triple and now his past handful starts in trips man Murphy looks like he could end up being a piece here for Atlanta as they kind of push for it play the playoffs later this season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he saw the command, which has never really been the case too much for Murphy be a bit of the hindrance in the early going of the season, and he saw some free passes being handed out at double A, and in the first start in triple even a little bit the command wasn't totally there, and then of late it seems like he's been mostly locked in.
Speaker 2: There's one other outing where he walked five in Triple A.
Speaker 3: But also it's pretty common we talk about the different baseball and especially with Murphy, where.
Speaker 2: This is somebody with a huge part of his game is.
Speaker 3: The low release, high carry fastball that he owns, and I think for those types of guys, you maybe feel like your vert gets gets knocked down just a little bit, and then you start to nibble a little bit, maybe you don't trust stuff in the zone as much with that triple A baseball, I don't see that being the case with Murphy, And actually he's maintained kind of the same level of vert at north of eighteen inches of induced vertical breakoats to nineteen inches on average from a five to six release sight is really really good carry. And the other aspect is since coming back from TJ, similar to JR. Richie, like at first the vlow wasn't totally totally there, and we're seeing it build up. And before the injury, Murphy had seen a bit of an uptick and then unfortunately went down with the elbow issues. So I think what's interesting with him too is Murphy's really been effective in the low nineties because the fastball shape is so good and because of the deception and even before that injury, having ticked up just one mile per hour being more in the ninety two ish range seemed to make a big difference for him, and now sitting right in that same area and touching to ninety three to ninety four, I think is helping him big time to be able to get a lot of whiff within the zone. So the fastball is the name of the game for him, but the development of the secondary's off of that, I think has also been a huge help too, and I think that's been a big focus for him. The change up has developed and come along as a solid offering for him. He's got a cutter and a slider that he will go to, and then a bigger curve ball as well. So it's a much more complete arsenal compared to where he was at, maybe before the surgery, even where he was very dependent on that.
Speaker 2: Fastball and the fastball shape.
Speaker 3: When you look at the characteristics from release to the carry to the velocity in general too, it's very similar to what we saw from Christian Javier, And as you saw, Javier was able to have a lot of success with that fastball despite super high usages. So the fact that we're seeing Murphy round out the arsenal as well on top of it, I think puts him in a really good spot. I think it's mostly residual effects with the command from the elbow surgery, and I do think we're going to ultimately see him settle back in to being the strike thrower that we've seen in the past.
Speaker 4: And as much as you never want to see young guys get surgery and have to miss time, right like he did it at such a young age where he's still twenty two, it's gonna be twenty two till the end of the season. So having the time where he's now really focused on the arsenal adjustments, like you talk about becoming a more well rounded pitcher beyond that fastball, and still being at such a young point in his career with the surgery already passed him, right, he's in the rear view mirror. Maybe the command is slightly lagging behind still because of that, but like we've seen him work through that and get to a point where now he's still very young in Triple A and in his past six games, man, like you're looking at his last thirty five innings of work, it's forty two strikeouts at eight walks. So since those little blips in command, like you're on a stretch there of good command. He's punching guys out at a high clip. He's been effective. I mean, yeah, he hasn't had like any shutout crazy outings, but he's giving up, you know, one to two runs to start striking out six to eight guys and giving you a quality outing for six to straight at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's what it's going to bode well for you. Fastballs up a tick and a half this year he was averaging. I think part of it was a little bit slower. He was every twenty inches of last year actually was just crazy. But at nineteen this year, you're going to make that exchange for a tick and a half to go from ninety and a half to ninety two point one, which is where he's at this year. And in the fastball and change up strike rate have been really good. It's been the breaking balls that I just think that feel hasn't totally come back yet, and it already started starting to look like it is.
Speaker 2: So I'm excited. Murphy is a guy that would have been the top one hundred prospect for US had he not gone down with the injury.
Speaker 3: He was right about to be added to our list last year and then you know, now we're going to see him. I think, even if he doesn't quite crack the list, be a guy that's going to be part of that Brave's rotation and at least profiles is a solid back end of the rotation piece moving forward, maybe as as early as the end of this year if they need somebody, But you know, I think realistically in the fold next.
Speaker 4: Year, yeah, and they could use continual help. I think with the back of the rotation, the Braves are still sort of piecing it together. And even though it's not this year, they've got other guys who were on deck and ready to go this year. But like like you said, going into next year, I think he can be a legitimate piece for that rotation moving forward.
Speaker 2: And we'll see.
Speaker 3: I think with the trades that they could make too, he could be trade bait. I just want to float that too, because I think plenty of teams will have interest in a picture with that, you know, with that stuff, and at twenty two years old.
Speaker 4: Getting into the next name here on the heat sheet, going over to the Saint Louis Cardinals organization, we've got Quinn Matthews and this is a name that's come on and off of our heat sheets. I feel like for two years, maybe you're on and off of just talking about him and then having more conversations around him. He's had some ups and downs, for sure, and just the progression of his career. He had that ridiculous twenty twenty fourth season. Last year, he definitely came back down to earth more and it was just more of a stretch where he wasn't quite finding it. Even this year, it's been a little bit of a slower start to the season for him. The command has still just not been where we were used to seeing from him early in his career. With that said, recently it's definitely trended the right direction. Looking here his last you know, I think his last five starts, he's allowed like five runs total across his past five starts. Walker, It's still higher than you'd like to see it, but he's at least having some more success as the season goes on after a few really rough games that he got blown up a little bit early in the season.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been fascinating his development because this was somebody that you know, we looked at, especially after the drafts, was just kind of like a strike thrower. The reason why he was not an earlier pick and he was a fourth round selection was because you kind of were just hoping that he would execute enough to be a number five starter and eight innings for you. And then he has this breakout year where the v lo's up from the low nineties to the mid nineties and even touching a little bit a bit above that. The command was still there, The stuff across the board was so much better, and it felt like he was all we were talking about in twenty twenty four. But it just hasn't quite been the same. I think a shoulder issue affected him that he kind of pitched through, and then since then it just seems like he has not quite been able to back in on the command. It also coincided with triple A, and I just there's some sort of hurdle there for him too.
Speaker 2: But he's shown the ability.
Speaker 3: To have that dominance where we saw back to back starts in June where he went six innings of shutout ball with one walk.
Speaker 2: One was nine k's and the other was six k's.
Speaker 3: But then right after that it's four walks, and so it's the tough part there. What I think is undeniably true. Is the stuff is really good and like this stuff is back. His fastball is up almost a full tick from where it was last year, which was down a tick and change from where it was the year before, which was up a couple of ticks from where it was the year before. So it's really difficult to exactly figure out where he's going to.
Speaker 2: Sit velocity wise.
Speaker 3: But I think when you look at where he's at this year, it seems like it's a step forward from that disappointing year last year, but also not quite where he was at in that breakout year before, which had him looking like one of the more exciting left tenant pitching prospects in baseball. It's a fastball, even at ninety four that has plus carry to it, especially for a left from the lower release height that's going to allow it to be I think an above average heater. You look across the arsenal, the stuff is absolutely there.
Speaker 2: I mean, the slider is.
Speaker 3: A plus pitch with a fifty percent wift rate this season. The change up has been his bread and butter since he was in college. That has flashed plus as well, but the challenge has been being able to be in the zone consistently forty seven percent end zone rate on the season, fifty eight percent strike rate on the season. That's going to be the difference between him being stuck in Triple A and eventually getting up to the big leagues.
Speaker 2: That said, with the way this team.
Speaker 3: Is playing right now and with the stuff that Matthews has, I think there's some sort of role that they could still weaponize him in, whether it's in this like you know, short burst opener, piggyback guy. I just think until the command gets better, it's hard to say, hey, go get the ball every fifth day at the highest level and we're going to hope that you make it through it because with the the way the command looks on certain days in the big leagues, you might not make it out of the first or second inning, and you can't do that to your big league team.
Speaker 2: So that's the biggest thing. It's big league stuff.
Speaker 3: I think it's bordering on mid rotation stuff, but the command is just just kind of touch and go a little too much with such a talented arm.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe it's like a Kyle leehy piggyback type situation. They're kind of both totally different types of arms. You get a righty left you look, maybe he just comes off of a three four inning piggyback type of spot. I just you know for him, right, Like even with some of these bumps, you look at the past five starts and he's walked more guys than he's even given up hits, So like he's not giving up, he's not getting beat. Really, he's being himself when he when he has these rough outings like ten hits allowed his past twenty five innings pitched with thirty two strikeouts in that span. If you're striking out over three times more hitters than you're letting get a hit off you, you're doing a lot of things. Well, he just it is those four and there's four walk outings. There's three walkoutings where just the command isn't there. But he's not getting beat at all. So you got to find a role for that guy at some point because he is like it's a one aer in that five game stretch I just mentioned there, Like he's doing the job. He just still doesn't have it fully command wise. But there's a lot of positive takeaways I think from looking at the numbers and especially the past months to two months.
Speaker 3: I think the back to back starts there where you have the one walk, I think it shows you and there's some jerkiness to his delivery, and I think that's part of why you see him just get out of sank in sync and then out of sank again. And it just seems like timing that arm up has been difficult. But lefties this year hitting one ninety.
Speaker 2: Four agains him.
Speaker 3: They're still going three forty three and they're striking out forty two percent of the time. So when you have this right situation to potentially deploy him where it's left he heavy at the start of a lineup, or you like a pocket for him out of the pen, like I do think that's a role that they could utilize him in. I think the goal is still to develop this guy that has you know, above average heater and potentially you know, two plus secondaries to be that starting pitcher for you. But he's gonna be twenty six years old in October, and I think it's time to kind of see if he can help you at the big, bigue level for a Cardinals team that maybe isn't going to aggressively buy, So, who are some options internally that can help you I'm also looking at Cooper Jerpy, who has been throwing well as he's come back from elbow surgery, and that's another guy of the bullpen left. He's ain't gonna be comfortable against him either. They have some internal options that you may not, you know, long term, want to project them as relievers, but right now that could be a great way to get their feet wet at the highest level and help your team trying to make a push for that wild card spot that they're holding on to comfortably.
Speaker 4: Right now, you get creative with it, they're gonna have to because they're going to make a push. Like whether I don't know, we don't think they're buying like crazy, but.
Speaker 2: Like but they ain't selling.
Speaker 4: They're good. They don't have any reason to sell right now. Right it's like there's a funny conversation, but like they're gonna try to make it happen. So guys like Jerky, guys like Matthew's, they can give you some sort of value, even if it's in a unique type of role. You try it out and you see what happens. Right absolutely getting into the next guy on the heat sheet. Here in New York Yankees, we're talking to reliever man. Pretty rare that we get relievers on the heat sheet, but it's because it's Carlos and hey, who's the top one hundred prospect in baseball and he's pitching out of the bullpen now. So A, he's throwing really well and B. I also just wanted to check in with you on kind of where you're at with him as a you know, a reliever technically speaking. I know, I still think the long term goal for him is to start, but he hasn't moved to the bullpen and he's been relieving of late. So where are you at with him? And what have you kind of thought of his initial you know, what about two weeks or so of being a bullpen guy for the Yankees.
Speaker 2: Triple A, Yeah, it's fun. I think this is the right path as well.
Speaker 3: I mean, because this is somebody that he's not going to get an opportunity to throw it as a starter at the big league level right now with how many arms that they have. And we just talked about a similar thing. The Yankees are going to aggressively by but this may allow you to have one, you know, one of your guys internally helping you bullpen wise.
Speaker 2: So I'm excited to see.
Speaker 3: I think what you're seeing is what you would kind of imagine too from him out of the pen, is that he's going to be able to overwhelm hitters, even if he's kind of just easing his.
Speaker 2: Way into it.
Speaker 3: I think you still still seeing multiple plus pitches, the fastball that can get north of one hundred miles per hour, but right now it seems like he's almost just been more focused on sitting in the upper nineties and filling up the zone and having a feel for the whole arsenal, and then when he needs to, when he needs a dial back for a little bit extra, you see him grab that one hundred one oh one, and beyond that, what I'm excited for is when you get that guy in the big leagues out of the bullpen, we're probably gonna see some one.
Speaker 2: O threes and one oh fours.
Speaker 3: And it's just been cool to see though he's clearly pacing himself and looking like they're gonna use him in potentially this like multi ending relief role which is super effective as well. Talk about a Swiss army knife that he could be for them. It's leverage stuff, but it's also, you know a guy that is still maintaining the ability to be stretched out.
Speaker 2: A little bit as well.
Speaker 3: They're not just going like super short, short short bursts. Aside from the last outing where he went just one inning, but for the most part, it seems like he's still been being stretched out at least a little bit. This is the guy that think will help them out of the bullpen this year. And again, it's hard to find stuff like this from a starter, so you already feel that way. I imagine it in shorter spurts out of the bullpen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that he's just you know, it's cool to see the progression of how they're using him, and it's ter be interesting to see the deployment like you mentioned there, because he did go like his first bullpen outing was like a four inning piggyback, but then this last outing this week was one inning. It was like let it fly for an inning. He gave one plane inning and that was that. So it is gonna be really interesting to see how the Yankees decided to use him. I think he's a weapon in that bullpen one way or another. I mean, they are going to compete. We know the Yankees are obviously that the cream of the crop in the American League, and like somehow he's gonna be used. I don't know what exactly it's gonna be, but like the Yankees bullpen hasn't been all that great. There's been a lot of inconsistency, and yeah, they're probably gonna go buy a high end reliever or two. But if this can be a Swiss Army fifth to seventh inning, like two inning or one inning type of you know, role in that way, I do think he can serve the Yankees really well. And it's gonna be fun to watch because, like you said, you're gonna see some some electric stuff out of him in a high pressure, potentially playoff situation.
Speaker 3: Strike great is up to since he's been coming out of the pen, and so I think, interesting, that's interesting to strike right really over the last thirty days is up five percent. So yeah, I feel like he's feeling it more in terms of just trying to fill up the zone at ninety eight, not overthrowing, and then he has that in his back pocket. But you see him down the one on one and then get really fired up on the mound.
Speaker 2: I think he's he's leaning into the role too, which is fun.
Speaker 4: Definitely, let's take our first quick break here on the call before we dive back into more names. Jumping right back in here on our pitcher's heat sheet. We're making our way down the levels. Have been through three Triple A guys and we're onto a recently promoted Triple A guy and Joe Whitman of the San Francisco Giants organization. Definitely not your flashiest pitching prospect somebody I think we've talked about a little bit last year, maybe briefly on a heat sheet as well, but even throwing the ball really well in Double A this season within the Giants organ this year gets up to you got up to Triple recently he's made three starts in Triple A and it's been really more of the same. Honestly, Rike out Rady even since getting the trips is up above twenty five percent. He doesn't really walk anybody. He's through three starts of just quality outings. Women's not not a huge name, but I think someone that the Giants could use as a depth arm, and it's really proven himself throughout. You know, last year he was up and down, he had some moments, but this year he's really taking a step forward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the strikeout right backs it up to where you just you see this leap, and yeah, I think there was a lot of reason to believe that the underlying was better than the surface level stats.
Speaker 2: Last year.
Speaker 3: I think he was better than the five to three e l that we saw at double A, and I think he's proven that this year. But at the same time, it also helps. When you cut the walk right, you increase the strikeout right. And I think a big reason why he was able to do that is just the stuff is up across the board. I mean, you look at the fastball velocity he's up from. You know, he'll throw both a four seamer in a two seamer or sometimes they'll just kind of get tagged in overlap, so it's kind of hard to differentiate. But regardless, the fastballs are about a tick and a half above where they were at last year. The four seamer not last year was ninety one point eight, this year it's ninety three.
Speaker 2: And also the pitches that are labeled.
Speaker 3: As two seamers seem to be a little bit hotter there they're at ninety three to four. So I mean, when you're seeing this kind of v lo uptick from a lefty that already had a pretty good field to pitch. I think the biggest reason why the walk right could climb up a little bit for him is I think he felt like he had a nibble.
Speaker 2: Some The change up was a good with pitch for him.
Speaker 3: Now it's even better because the fastball is speeding hitters up and the slider it was also a pitch I think was helping him be effective and mask the fastball that is now playing at a higher level as well, because again similarly, he's throwing it a little bit harder and I think it just has a little bit more bite to it. So you're looking at a slider here that has a strong whift rate at about forty percent this year, and then the changeup has been there as well, but he's up that slider usage significantly. Kind of scrapped a curveball that was not really good for him, and I think that's been big for him as well. I think trying to land that bigger curveball in the upper seventies was tougher, So he's throwing harder.
Speaker 2: He's improved his slider.
Speaker 3: He scrapped the pitch that wasn't working for him, and and the change up has been you know, I think it improved because of the way that the fastballs rushing hitters. It's not shocking to me that, you know, across the board here now you end up having a much better arm. That also is, as you mentioned, not had any issues in the early going in the PCL either, which I think is very fascinating.
Speaker 2: He burned by a couple of long balls.
Speaker 3: Doesn't care because he's keeping guys off the base paths and that's been able to allow him to keep the e RA and check through three outings here, I think we see what minute the big leagues that sometime this season.
Speaker 4: Wow, that was encouraging. I mean, I think it was clear from the numbers this guy at a big leap, But I needed to hear your kind of your take on like where some of this had come from. And it seems like there's you know, from from stuff improving from just usage wise and maximizing his stuff and utilizing it better. It seems like across the board, really you've just seen you know, leap here. What do you think like in terms of, you know, the big league projection. Obviously it's hard still doesn't seem like a guy who you're you're thinking, you know, you're dreaming on high end of rotation guy, but does seem like someone who might be more of a four than a five at this point if things keep going this direction the way he's throwing this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he went from like up and down arm to a guy that I think could absolutely be a back end of the rotation piece. And that's a big difference, Like, for sure, No, I think that's what you could dream I think on a four here, now that the fastball's sitting you know, ninety two to ninety four and touching you know, north of that. And then on top of the fact that just skinning the arsenal is a little bit more optimized and well rounded, I could see this guy with the command where it's at too. I could absolutely see him reach into number four starter territory. But I think you feel good even a median outcome of a number five compared to a guy that I think the median outcome before was kind of just an up and down guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the giants, like they start selling off some guys if they start getting a chance, it does seem like he really could be up there this year and start to get some big beginnings and maybe going the next season trying to be you know, in that rotation and then solidified in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know was in Hunts had some moments as well, but there's there's some reason to believe that, you know, he can that that Whitman can kind of carve out a role here and potentially compete for some endings with him.
Speaker 4: Yeah. The next name up on the heat sheet comes from the Pittsbord Pirates organization, and it's Connor Whitgriff. This is a fascinating name that I can't say I knew a ton about our guy. Jay Staff put him on the honorable mentions list of our Pirates Dot prospect about a month ago, and I know he was a name that Jay's been keeping up with carefully and someone who you know, last year, in his first full pro season, had shown you know, high level command and the stuff had kind of been a little bit behind more the command Wiles and this year, while the command has taken a half step back, the stuff has definitely improved this season so far, particularly recently past five outings for wake Griff. He's twenty seven and two thirds innings of you know, six run ball across the five outings with six walks to thirty four strikeouts in that span. He's been good all year, but really really turning it up a notch recently in double A.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is another on though where it's so okay. Maybe it was projecting more.
Speaker 3: Of that depth up and down arm, but he might just execute his way to you know, having enough success here at twenty four years old, just just just been effective at each stop and as you mentioned, just of late being able to get get a little bit more in the swing and missed department, because when you're when you're below eight k's per nine, it's gonna be tough no matter how much you're.
Speaker 2: Filling up the zone.
Speaker 3: And I think that was clearly a goal for Wick Griff was to generate a little bit more with this season, and we've seen him do that. His slider has improved, He's thrown it a tick harder and he can just fill up the zone with it while also still being able to get chase with that kind of it. It's a really interesting shape too that I think from his like release point can can make it a unique look. Or I think he's kind of giving you two different versions of it too. There's more of a cutterish shape, and then I'll give you more of that traditional slider shape, and then there's just if you're looking at the plot, just like a block in between. So he has this ability to kind of navigate all the way down to the more slider shape, then all the way up to the cutter of shape and everywhere in between. And think being able to lean on that pitch and have it be so versatile for him has allowed him to maneuver around a fastball that, at the end of the day ninety one to ninety three miles per hour is just you're going to be a pitch that he needs to mask.
Speaker 2: So that's how you can get away with a Kumar Rocker.
Speaker 3: Very different pitcher, right, But Kumar Rocker is able to get away with significantly high slider usage because he manipulates it so it's not the same forty percent slider usage as everybody else because it's like multiple pitches in one and it kind of looks like that with what Griff now, I think there should be a completely different and this is just a tagging situation on my end, but there should be a cutter separated, But even if you're tagging the cutter separately, there's still so much variation with this slider that I think it gives him, you know a lot of different ways to you know, attack the hitter when paired with the cutter as well.
Speaker 2: And kind of a similar situation with the change up in the way that he's able to manipulate it.
Speaker 3: So this is a player that I think when you look at like the track Man data, it may not show you know how funky he is because you've got to really look at the plot and see how much variance he's able to have with the shapes while still being able to fill up the zone enough.
Speaker 4: What's the differentiation of the change up? Because I noticed the change up for him had been a really good used pitch this year. Is it just is it varying in terms of how much it's moving? Where is he kind of spacing the change up in compared.
Speaker 3: To Yeah, some have some have more carry and some have just a ton of depth to it and fall off the table.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if that's intentional.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that's just kind of a natural progression for him.
Speaker 2: But it's clear that he's able to or at least has.
Speaker 3: Some some wide range here of of kind of shapes with that change up and as a result, a lot of weak contact, fair amount of with and it will make it hard. I think we have the shape variance to land it in the strike zone consistently, and I think that's been a challenge for him. But yeah, some stay up a little bit longer. I think a tunnel off the fastball well, because then the others, you know, just have a little bit more late fade and drop to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Next name up on the heat sheet here Pitcher's side. Someone you've heard about plenty from us this year, Joseph Serwa of the Baltimore Orioles Areanization. We've continued to talk about ZEROA, but he continues to shove, so that's why we continue to talk about him. He got the bump to double A about a month ago or so. His past five outings now at the double A level, it's twenty seven and a third innings of one to nine, thirty one strikeouts, only six walk across that span. Zera just keeps shoving. He was doing it in high A. Now he's six outings into his double A career and has done basically the same with even better command. His walk rate has gone from six percent in HIGHA down to four percent just a little over four percent in double A ZEROA like is continuing to prove that he's one of the bigger breakout arms of this year in the minor leagues. And you could say breakout's not fair because he was a second rounder this past year. Sure, but like, when you're doing this at two levels already to start your big league, start your professional career, we're gonna take notice.
Speaker 3: No, And also was reminded recently it's actually jerwah zero forever as well. So yeah, I mean it's the clear cut thing and we've talked about is when.
Speaker 2: You take a.
Speaker 3: Six foot eight fastball change up lefty and you increase the velocity, Uh, that's gonna help. And then you add pitches that's gonna help, and it doesn't really compromise the command that already defies what you typically see from a six foot eight lefty. There was a lot of reasons why we selected him as you know, a breakout candidate for us this year, and and just to see the way that that arsenal has developed for him as somebody that was so fastball change of heavy to add that cutter, that's been a huge bridge pitch for him. But it's been more than a bridge pitch. It's been a lot more valuable for him than that. And he's been in the zone with it NonStop like he's been, he's been able to build it up, but also at the same time like it's not even that big of a chase pitch because he can dare you with it and he just knows that he's gonna miss barrels. And so that's been effective for him there in terms of being able to get a lot of rollovers, weak contact. And then the slider's just better because instead of it being in the mid seventies as a slider, now it's closer to seventy eight, seventy nine, even touching to eighty one, it's gonna be a lot more effective for me. Gets a little bit more horizontal on it as well. So the slider being harder helps, the fastball being harder of course helps, and the change up, which has always been his bread and butter. It's funny that pitch wasn't even there for him for a lot of the year, which was the clear cut best pitch that he had to offer, So that pitch now just being their for him a little bit more consistently. Now you're seeing the whole arsenal roundown and the run and ride that he's getting on his fastball now that Joe was able to get. I mean, he's throwing some fastballs that are forting with twenty inches of induced vertical break and like eighteen inches of horizontal from that six foot eight lanky release where he's able to is still low for his height too. It's like a five nine early set, which is just below it's five eight seven, like just below big leagu gaverage from a six to eight frame. That's very deceptive. Then running and riding. That's a very weird look for hitters. And I think there's a reason why he's been super super effective. Is average EGXI velosity against this year for left handed hitters is eighty three miles per hour. They're just miserable against him this year because it's such a unique book, and then he's got.
Speaker 2: The arsenal to be able to now keep writings at Bay as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was gonna say, do you have left alreadlit by chance? Because the one thing I'm thinking about as you're describing this, like facing draa, I just would be like horrible. That would just be like the worst experience for a lefty, particularly obviously right hander is like it's not fun, but like the overall layers to like his release, his size, and then the way that his stuff is moving. For a left handed hitter, it just has to be a horrible experience.
Speaker 3: Well, because everything's running up put in on you. So you're all sped up, right, because everything that we just talking.
Speaker 2: About the run and ride from that release, you're feeling really sped up.
Speaker 3: You feel like you got to really get the barrel out there because anything that starts middle is tying you up, and anything that's starts in or third might legitimately blow your hands up. And so you start to cheat for that. And then you get the cutter breaking towards towards his glove side, excuse me, And then you have the slider that's going to even get you further out from there, and you're sped up kind of cheating for it. You're gonna get a lot of front leg you know, one arm swings. But the crazy part is it's like it's not like righties are faring much better. They're they're just getting out in a different way. Lefties are just rolling over because they're cheating. Righties are are are just swinging and missing more, which is which is fascinating as well. Four percent higher strikeout right with righties and they're hitting one sixty one themselves. So uh, it's just fascinating that like lefties you've got a ground ball rate of fifty two percent, righties you've got a ground ball rate of thirty seven percent, and none of neither side are hitting jerwell.
Speaker 2: So what I see is just a guy that.
Speaker 3: Can pitch flat out pitch, and he's got different plans of attack for hitters of each hand inness and they're both working.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's been really exceptional and he keeps me seventy three like he's blowing through. He's gonna reach undred forty innings this year as a minor league pitcher and maybe even two, potentially three levels, Like it wouldn't even shock me to see this guy gets the trips at the end of the year because he's advanced, he's a college guy. He has experienced, like he can be in Baltimore next year as one of the earlier arrivals from that twenty twenty five class, especially among second rounders and beyond.
Speaker 3: It's funny they had like eighty picks last year too, so he wasn't even one of their first.
Speaker 4: Six the drafts, which is crazy to think about because he's a really good prospect and.
Speaker 2: There might be more in there. Six foot eight.
Speaker 3: You can maybe find another tick if he does that, and then he really might be on a different level.
Speaker 2: Of course, there.
Speaker 4: Could be souring up the boards. Let's take a quick break before we get back into our next level of heat. Cheek guys, before we jump back in here, Arm, tell me a little about Arena Club. We've been ripping some packs lately. I've been having a good time and then seeing all that there is to offer with these slab packs on Arena Club.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been fun.
Speaker 3: I've been enjoying the partnership so far because for me, you know, I collect modern and I collect vintage, and a lot of these packs they offer a bunch of different types and a bunch of different price points.
Speaker 2: That they're mix sure of both.
Speaker 3: I have the goal of trying to collect every Hall of Famer that I set out with my dad. You know, when we were when I was a kid. But I also, as everyone knows, like to collect modern cards too, so it can kind of scratch both itches in one pack and you never know which way it's gonna go. And the other fun part is if it's a card I already have, which happens. It doesn't happen that often because there's such a wide array of cards, but it does happen. Because I have so many cards, I can sell it right back, and there's a ninety percent buy back offer with Arena Club, so immediately you can do that and I could go buy another pack, or I could just take that money out and cash out, which is a really unique offer there. If I like the card, they send it to me or they'll vault it for me. And if you use code just Baseball on your first pack at Arena Club, you'll get twenty percent off, which is a really awesome opportunity because there's so many different packs at different price points, it's a pretty significant discount given the different types of cards you can get. So it's Code just Baseball for twenty percent off. The links also in the episode description, and please let me know what you hit. I always have fun seeing what people hit.
Speaker 2: On there.
Speaker 4: Getting back into our heat sheet, we got a handful more names here. We have got six more pitchers still to go through today. A lot of fun arms here. A name that we don't think we've ever mentioned on the show before. Jose Akunya of the Cincinnati Reds organization, someone that popped up from just a pure numerical standpoint of just has been really really good lately. Last year he spent the year in Double A, but only through little over seventy innings. This season, the twenty three year old right hander has been back in Double A in the Southern League through seventy eight and two thirds. Already in fourteen outings, he's got three four era, has had a pretty high strikeout rate of late, and really particularly recently his last five outings, it's only seven runs allowed with thirty eight strikeouts in a thirty four inning span.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's funny this is And you look at a red scene that could probably just use somebody up there and helping them sooner rather than later.
Speaker 2: He might end up carving out a role them. And I think I watched him in the.
Speaker 3: Fall League not too long ago, and I can't remember if it was last year of the year before, and I was just like, you know, this is a potential up and down arm, and yeah, maybe it could be an innings eater, but also has been used in a few different roles, so it could kind of be a swingman type.
Speaker 2: He's been effective enough.
Speaker 3: At each stop, but it just seems like the stuff is better this year and it seems like he's got a better feel for it overall as well.
Speaker 2: The fastball is up.
Speaker 3: Just about a half tick, but he's also just filling up the zone a lot more frequently. The strike rate is up by four percent from last year, and I think part of that has just been just maturing at twenty three years old and finding a feel. He looks more athletic on the mound as well Acunya does, and he's kind of consolidating the arsenal and focusing.
Speaker 2: On the pitches that he has a better feel for.
Speaker 3: Like that change up has just been there for him, I think a lot this year and a lot more this year, so it's been nice to see him have that success there. And then the confidence with the two seamer. It's a low nineties fastball. It's at ninety one and a half last year. Now it's ninety two. But you know, he's able to get excuse me, not a two seamer, the four seamer. He's able to get enough with in the zone because of the carry that it features. So I think the fact that even just being a half tick harder with that carry, he's able to get plenty of swing and miss there within the zone.
Speaker 2: And I think with that he's generated more confidence.
Speaker 3: It sets up the change up to parachute off of it well, and then he's mixing the slider with confidence as well. So you've got this three pitch mix for the most part that that seems to be really effective for him, and I kind of see it back into the rotation, you know, potential for him all of a sudden, which is again a lot better than what I had seen at points last year.
Speaker 2: But there's also been stretches. I mean in twenty four he had a twenty two.
Speaker 3: Inning stretch where he was kind of working out of the pen but also like short starts, like he was doing a little bit of both, and he was dominant. He pitched like a point eight one era, So there's been stretches there for him, but on pace now to throw more innings than he ever has I think his career, how I was one hundred, so I think that's been a huge for him too. I think the biggest hurdle next will just be consistently keeping the ball in the yard, So is the challenge with verty fastball guys.
Speaker 2: But I think Acuna has taken a big step forward this year. Yeah.
Speaker 4: One of my big questions with him was if it is a real starter, if he might go into that kind of versatile bullpen type of role, maybe a swingman category. But it seems like the step he's taken could lead to at least a back end guy. Even if it is primarily three pitches, it's enough effectiveness with those three to stick as a rotation piece.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I mean he still has the confidence I think with that fastball, and the way that that's developed is probably the most encouraging partner.
Speaker 2: It's probably a couple.
Speaker 3: Extra inches of vert on the fastball compared to where he was at the year before, and you don't always see that. So to gain a couple of inches of vert and a half tick in fastball velocity, like it probably went from a forty forty five grade pitch to a fifty to fifty five grade pitch which is which is a big difference.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a big jump of changes the way you're able to attack for sure across the board. Another guy in the same division jumping over to the Brewers organization, Yes, other Brewers prospect. Bishop Letson is someone that we talked about a decent amount. I think last year really started to see some breakout type of stuff from him. Super young and still a very raw arm, only twenty one years old in Double A. But I started to figure out recently the command is still lagging a little. It still seems like he needs to take it, you know, find another step there. But his last four starts, you know, only five runs allowed across twenty one and a third innings, twenty three strikeouts in that span. It's been a noticeable improvement from earlier in the season for Letson, even as he continues to kind of work through some of these growing pains at the Double A level.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not to compare them, because it's not fair to compare anybody to Jacob Miserawski, but he's got the fun shades of in terms of tall kid, long lanky, crazy extension, low release and just kind of jumps at you and I think that's what's fun. So it's like it's this starter kit there that is really fascinating. And I've talked to hitwards that have faced letson and they say, like, that's one of the more uncomfortable at bats I've had.
Speaker 2: Because everything just gets on you so quick. He's averaging seven point two feet of extension, which.
Speaker 3: Is already well into the plus territory that would put him in the ninety eighth percentile in Major League Baseball. I at least somewhere in the ninety five plus territory. His release height is five point three feet, so to get that low and extend that far is something that I don't have, like the query of that Miserowski's won. I don't know who else is doing that in terms of getting that low and extending that far.
Speaker 2: And the fastball is ninety five. It's not like he's throwing ninety two.
Speaker 3: I think most guys that would be getting down that low and extending that much wouldn't have that much.
Speaker 2: Whippiness and arm speed.
Speaker 3: And to be sitting ninety five and touching ninety six plus we've seen him grab ninety seven, I think says a lot about just the arm talent there. But what that is comes some challenges to time it all up and control everything, and we saw that with Letson where just at times I think things were out of whack. St just had a bit of an injury history as well, and I think sometimes things flare up and slightly cause him to adjust that release point some.
Speaker 2: But that fastball is.
Speaker 3: Disgustingly like Lively when he's on and he's commanding it, and then you.
Speaker 2: Have the sweeper off of that.
Speaker 3: That is just a nightmare for hitters because again where it's being released from, and then.
Speaker 2: The cutter to bridge.
Speaker 3: He's got the ways to work is to rush you with the fastball, cutter in between, and then get you waving at the sweeper. The change up has come along a little bit, but he just doesn't have a feel for it, and that's a really hard one to have a feel for from down there, and we've seen that in the past with Miz as well.
Speaker 2: So that'll be the big question.
Speaker 3: But even so, like if you have that four seamer, he also has the two seamer that he mixes in and then having to cutter and the sweeper, that would be enough even if he just sprinkles in a few change ups a game, and I think the biggest variable really just all comes down to Lesson's command, And as you mentioned, it's been a lot better of late. You know, entering this the last thirty days, it was at about sixty percent. Sixty five percent strike rate of late, I mean five percent for him is going to make a big difference, and I think we're seeing him execute more consistently.
Speaker 4: He's also another example of those guys where like they have you just see these particular outings where it's like, Okay, that's what he can be. Right, Like he had a few weeks ago against a really good Montgomery team, Tampa's organization, right u six innings of three hit shutout ball with eight k's and one walk. It was like, there's the Bishop Letson that we can dream on. Right then there's outings that he walks four guys and you know, in a three inning span, and it's like, Okay, the command's not there yet, But like you get these spurts, and we mentioned that earlier in the episode two other guys, you get these moments where you're like with like with Quinn Matthews, right where you're just like this guy's pross and then he starts where he regresses. He's still twenty one in Double A. He got up to Double A last year at twenty. I think at the end of the year, he's a young guy. He's long, he'sanky. Like you said, there's a lot of time to still dream on what he can be.
Speaker 3: And I think there's no no reason for his strikeout to be nine, Like, he shouldn't have forty seven strikeouts and forty seven innings. The only reason that is is because of the lack of execution, like what we saw last year, it's there, and mind you young, and also.
Speaker 2: Because of some of the injuries, has just not thrown that much.
Speaker 3: When you look at the amount of frames he's thrown period, like as a professional, we've only.
Speaker 2: Seen what is it. Entering the season, it was only one hundred innings from him, and so now even at this year, like he's throw one hundred and fifty professional innings. He's still so young in his development yet already in Double A.
Speaker 4: Yeah, getting into our next name here on the heat sheet of the pitchers, Mason Molina of the Saint Louis Cardinals organization. Not a name we've discussed on this show.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 4: He was traded in the film Ayton Trade last deadline from Houston over to Saint or from Texas part of me over to Saint Louis, and you know got over to Saint Louis. Last year he'd been pitching for he threw what he I guess he had five starts at the end of the year. So he ended up having what was actually a really solid first pro season last year across the board from three different teams he played with. This year he gets to double. It's been really good, particularly of late. He's been one of the better pitchers in the Texas League. Last five starts, it's you know, two ninety ra with thirty three strikeouts across twenty seven and two thirds innings pitched. What you got on Mason Molina in his development track here.
Speaker 2: I like this Kidney, really.
Speaker 3: I know, we got like a new regime going on here and in Saint Louis, and heim Bloom is going to do a good job of rebuilding this farm system as we know. But Molina fits the bill of like the lefties and just the pitchers, and I feel like they've targeted over the last few years that the pitch ability and I know that the walk rate was a little bit high Lasher, but when you look at it, when you watch him throw, it's that kind of massage his way through lineups, give you a bunch of different looks from the left side, and have a fastball.
Speaker 2: That sneaks up on you a little bit more than you would expect.
Speaker 3: And I think what we've seen from Molina is like, this is a pretty well rounded pitch mix.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 3: He's got a four seam fastball that gets plus carry. It's north of nineteen inches of a news vertical break from a standard release heide, and then off of that is a change up with good vertical separation averaging about twelve inches maybe a little bit less, about eleven in change in vertical separation, and then another eleven in horizontal separation, and then he has a short gyro ish slider. Then he is a sweeper, and then he has a downer curveball. So you've got this really wide range plot here and a really good feel to both create. Usually guys that create this much vert aren't also able to throw that sweeper. And then you know also having this the downer curveball from there as well, and could he have a better feel for the curveball, yes.
Speaker 2: But that's usually going to come with the territories.
Speaker 3: That banger pitch is harder to land consistently, but that's going to be more of a taste breaker anyways. So to have that shorter slider and then the sweepier slider, those two pitches to work off of a verty fastball and the change up as well with the taste breaker curveball to flip in there as long as the command is there, and I think that's going to be the big question.
Speaker 2: I think it will be.
Speaker 3: He has such a good feel to pitch overall, as long as the command is average. This is the guy that I think is just going to be slept on and end up becoming just a solid back into the.
Speaker 2: Rotation type of starter.
Speaker 3: And it's really hard to argue against that with the results now we're seeing in a hitter friendly Texas league, with the way that he's been able to navigate and the last piece is just a little bit more command.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's kind of this kitchen Sinki approach. That's what I was seeing when I watched a couple of videos. I was like, there's like three different breaking balls in there that are all completely different pitches. What's the usage, Like, I mean, you see mixing and matching equally with all those secondaries. Is there some that kind of is there? Doesn't? Is there standout pitches within that kind of six pitch mix you mentioned there.
Speaker 3: What I also like with him is you've got to respect the fastball, even though it's ninety two topping at ninety five. You've got to respect it because of the shape, which makes it even more difficult when you're gonna get the kitchen sink of secondaries.
Speaker 2: But it's a pretty even usage.
Speaker 3: I mean, you've got it pretty even across the board where the fastball is going to be around forty three, it's a forty five percent of the time, and then I think as he gets to the highest level, he might cut that down a little bit and even more lean into the the you know, just kind of all the different pitches that you have to game plan for. The change up is is definitely his most used secondary, and go to that about twenty five percent of the time. But then you've still got around ten to fifteen on the shorter slider, the sweeper, and the curve ball, and so you really got to respect everything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you got you gotta give it a going to the bat and not sure exactly what you're getting, and it seems like at that level, like he's cruising his way. He's also was a young I mean he was. He was drafted as a sophomore at draft eligible sophomore, I believe, or maybe just a year young. So he's only twenty two. Still, he's not twenty three till next month, so still in a good track here for Saint Louis. And another name that like probably not this year, but just another name to tack into, like a team that is playing better than they expect, and it has some guys on the way that can give you some bullstering one way or another one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: And he does at least kind of look the part of the like ending zeting back end of the rotation type of it's like.
Speaker 4: One last quick break here before we get to our last few pictures. We're back with our final three pitchers here on our pitchers focused heat sheet this week on the call up. Next name up comes from the Texas Rangers organization, Molina's former organization. The last guy kid in Scarborough of the Rangers organ This was a hot name coming into the season, no doubt, someone that we were very excited to see working his way back from injury, getting back in the groove of throwing it to the season. He has only thrown what I think about twenty innings at this point in the minor league season, but he just had he had two complex outings, just getting some rehab outings. He's four inning, four outings into his season now in High A. Through fifteen and a third he has allowed one He's allowed two runs in that span, I think, or three runs in that span. So nine one seventy ra with strikeout rate over nearing forty percent, walk right only at eight percent, and he's coming off of an injury to Scarborough, looks like he's really quickly settling back into one of the more exciting young pitching prospects in baseball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty scary story.
Speaker 3: If you watch him pitch now, you'll see him rocking the turtleneck, you know, under armour. And it's because he had to get malignant melanoma removed from the back of his or from his neck, and so thank goodness, that was caught in a routine, you know, kind of check up and they took care of that. But obviously it was a bit of a process to work his way back and just get into game shape and get comfortable. I mean, Scarborough is one of the more anticipated guys that we were looking forward to watch this season after what we saw from him last year.
Speaker 2: When you talked about unique release.
Speaker 3: This is probably one of the only other guys ironically that is getting that low release point wise and extending that far out. Now he's not getting north to seven feet of extension, but he's getting even lower release point wise than lets and it's like a five foot flat release site maybe slightly above that, and he's getting six' eight, Extension so that's already a really unique look. There, Now scarborough is still getting comfortable and building back up be low. Wise like last year he was more at the ninety four. Range in this, year it's not quite there. Yet he's more ninety two, ish But i'm sure that'll. Come i'm sure he's pacing. Himself the biggest thing that we've talked about with him is the fastball is clearly just just a standout pitch with the low, release with the extension at ninety four to ninety, six but really sitting around ninety four to. Five that pitch was dominant For hian and will just continue to be a tough look for. Hitters and then off of, that you, know the slider was a good pitch for, him so it was kind of looking and waiting to see what can he develop off of. That it was sixty five percent fastball usage last year and he's still.
Speaker 2: Dominated so the.
Speaker 3: Big question was, just, okay what's the how good can he be if he's able to expand on this, Arsenal and of course the bigger question is can he expand on this? Arsenal and even with that crazy fastball usage last, year he was able, to you, know have a lot of success and then in three starts dominate Hig a for that cumulative two four or five ra but crazy strikeout to walk numbers in eighty eight innings between those two levels where it was one hundred and fourteen strikeouts in twenty one.
Speaker 2: Walks so imagine just with the hitters knowing the.
Speaker 3: Fastball's, coming they can't do, anything and now with it even being a couple of ticks, below they still can't really do. Anything and now he's shown to have a more well round a pitch mix with the time that he's ad. OFF i think he developed a cutter that looks like it can be a solid bridge for. Him then he's got that sweeper as, well and then he's starting to try to mix in a change. Up, also he's a guy that can get, away especially when the vle gets back with sixty percent. Fastball you said she was still on our top one hundred list despite not throwing yet this, year even in the. Update because of how Talented scarborough, is he'llbe twenty one for the entirety of the. Season he was twenty years old at the start of. It there's so much to dream on. Here thank, Goodness scarborough's. Okay but Now i'm just really excited to, see you, know what the ceiling can be, here because this is a guy, that if it all, clicks has as much upside as really any of the pitching prospects that we're going to talk about outside of like you, know the top the top ten twenty overall.
Speaker 2: Prospects.
Speaker 4: YEAH i first of, All i'm glad he's just doing better and he's. HEALTHY i remember seeing that headline AND i kind of forgot WHEN i was looking at the numbers that he's coming off of that not just like an, injury, Right so OBVIOUSLY i hope that human being is. Okay it's awesome that he's back on the, mound you, know as soon as he. Is, honestly it could have been a longer time. Off so it's great to see him back out, there and it's great to see him shoving because this is a fun. Arm like you just, said, like there is so much upside to dream on. Here there's still a lot of arsenal development that we know can, happen and those added. PITCHES i feel like a cutter makes perfect sense for, Him so that makes a lot of sense that that was added here because you think about how good the fastball, is how much it really gets up on guys and eats guys, up and at that high of a, usage, right it becomes that kind of the bridge pitch, obviously between the slider and the. Cutter it's more than just that. Though it really should play off that fastball really, WELL i. Think So i'm excited to see that pitch BECAUSE i feel like that's a pitch, that, LIKE i don't know where the usage has been at so, far but if he really finds it, MORE i could see that. Pitch you've been ticking up a usage and becoming a true like one bee to the, sliders one a in terms of off the fast ball, Pitches so it could even, go you, know at a whole other. Level, Right there's just a lot to dream on here for a guy of this, Caliber and now that he's back on the, mound like he's already showing what he can, be and he might even get to double later in the. Year maybe they take it easy and don't rush, him but, Like i'm sure the stuff would play at double if you threw him there later this.
Speaker 3: Season, well and right now that cutters at eighty, seven as he continues to tick, up that could be more at eighty eighty, nine like even, ninety and that pitch could be even more disgusting for.
Speaker 2: Him and then the.
Speaker 3: Tunnel of because of that lower, release the tunnel that you would have from the running route of the fastball the cutter a little bit more towards the gloves, side and then the sweeper from, there it's gonna be a really tough look for.
Speaker 4: Hitters next guy up Is Braylan dody of The guardians. Organization we've talked about him a couple of times this. Year the recent stretch he's been on has been. Crazy as twenty. One there's twenty year old right hander From, cleveland was a thirty six overall pick two years. Ago a lot of, upside but we still you, know there was still some some growth to be, had but last year was still a really Quality this year it's been even. Better on the. Season we're talking about a thirty thirty percent strikeout rate and a under five percent walk rate so far this. Year recently, though his past five outings thirty five strikeouts and three walks For dody he. GIVE i, mean he's given up some, hits he get up some runs here and, there but like that is about as good as you're going to see from a twenty year old of the.
Speaker 3: Minors, YEAH i think it's a big thing with him is you, know limiting the damage because he's not going to beat. Himself sixty seven strikeouts against eleven walks on the. Season it's just crazy.
Speaker 2: Stuff and you know he's the only decent. Job it came in the ball in the.
Speaker 3: Yard it just feel like when he's given up the, hits they start to get racked. Up the fastball is the THING i keep calling on is LIKE i think he might almost be in the zone too. Much it's a seventy five percent strike rate on the, fastball but he's also ticking up and throwing harder and, harder AND i think that's a really exciting part of it, too and why you're seeing this. Success like over his last hand full of, STARTS i was, like the last thirty, days the fastball is averaging ninety four point. Seven on the, season it's averaging ninety three point, eight so and that's combining with the hotter sample, now so he's up like a tick and a half from where he was even at at the start of the. Season So dody's found something, Here AND i think that's really really exciting BECAUSE i also think the shape.
Speaker 2: Could be so much.
Speaker 3: Better last year he was at ninety three on, average and again so this year in the last handful of, starts to be two ticks above that ALMOST i think tells you that he's found. Something AND i still think there's more shape, Wise like he's spinning that fastball at over twenty five hundred, rpm but he's still only getting about seventeen inches of VERT i think with a little bit more spin efficiency, there with the way that he's able to just kind of spin it off his fingers like there is probably even more carry to be unlocked. There and then what's great with him is you see the ability to spin it in the field for the baseball with the other pitchers in his arsenal. Too the breaking ball is disgusting and, it's you, know north of three thousand. Rpm the, cutter which is more of kind of like a blend between like a cutter and a short, slider is at twenty eight hundred rpm and nasty as. Well and then he's mixed in a change up in a sinker. Too he just is a really good field to manipulate the, baseball AND i feel like that the missing piece is just finding more consistency with that four, seamer because we've seen him throw some fastballs north of twenty inches of IVY. B it's just consistently getting. There but the opptic in velocity is really, exciting and it seems like this kid who's one of the better Athletes i've seen on The mountain bigeras WHY i loved him out of the. Draft and he's also just getting. Stronger it's starting to really put it together at twenty years.
Speaker 4: Old Up Arrow guardians type of, picture that's for. Sure that's written all over, him and already was, earlier but now we're seeing even more glimpses of it here in the, past you, know month or. So last name on the heat sheet today comes from The Toronto Blue jays. Organization we've Got Johnny, king someone we talked about last year and there's still a reason to talk about. Him it's a super slow played development, HERE i, think but it intentionally By, zerano, Right, like this guy is not throwing a. Ton he's still even this year thirteen, starts only forty seven innings. Pitched it's been a very limited amount of usage For Johnny, king but man is he Gross and when he's been on the, mound it's been really exciting and just even in even in three four, innings spurts like it's hard to not get fired. Up but the upside of this guy his last four outings In HIGH a nineteen and two thirds with twenty seven, strikeouts only five and runs allout in that. Span the command is still like coming. Together it's still not, great but it has been better than last, year noticeably better than last, YEAR i would, say and doing it at a higher. Level.
Speaker 3: TOO i, mean the stuff With Johnny king is as good as it. Comes the only reason why he wasn't in our top one hundred list is just the Command and, YEAH i, mean you'll take any progress so you can get. It was seven north of seven walks per nine last, year and even so.
Speaker 2: At loway he pitched with a three through five.
Speaker 3: Year because no one was touching. Him and he's striking out north of fifteen per. Nine so he's got that down to about five five point three walks per.
Speaker 2: Nine and if you you, know if he can get that to, basically and.
Speaker 3: It's a big it's a big, leap but if he can get, it you make the same improvement going in the next year and then you're gonna feel really. Good but, realistically if he can just get south of, FIVE i think you start to get excited about what can.
Speaker 2: Be there is you, know maybe a high variance, starter but at.
Speaker 3: The very least a guy that you start to trust in like a closer role if it doesn't work. Out but the crazy is pretty still nineteen years, old and we see guys all the time start to see things click command wise that you just wouldn't have. Expected we talked about it with With, miserowski like that was a guy that used to be all over the zone or really all over the outside of the zone and has figured it. Out but, yeah over his last seven, starts forty one case to fifteen walks is a, huge huge. Improvement Johnny king's stuff is so good from the left side that he could absolutely get away with a ten percent walk, rate and then that spend it was an eleven percent walk.
Speaker 2: Grade so we're getting.
Speaker 3: There BUT i, mean we're talking about a fastball that from the left side looks like for his, age is probably a seventy grade.
Speaker 2: Pitch you have a curveball that is. Disgusting it's a power curveball at eighty. Two it's kind of death. Ballie and then you've got to change up in.
Speaker 3: Between they still trying to find a feel for some variance there in, shape but at the same time is not terrible for. Him he's actually been able to land at for a strek about sixty two percent of the. Time if that pitch is just. Average the fastball curveball combination is, outrageous and maybe he finds a shorter gyro slider in, Between but we're talking, about you, know a plus two plus plus heater and a plus curveball that could be a plus plus curveball as.
Speaker 2: Well so you have those two.
Speaker 3: Pitches he's gonna have a big league career for, sure and probably an important. One it's just command wise and refining the arsenal a little bit, more like to find maybe that third.
Speaker 2: Pitch a bit more.
Speaker 3: Consistency consistency, wise could be the difference between you, know him being this like confusing two pitch is two and a half pitch guy that you're dreaming on more or legitimate you, know wipe, out wipeout high leverage reliever or again a guy THAT i mean stuff. Wise if it all comes, together he is as high as ceiling as any pitching prospect not in.
Speaker 2: The top one, hundred which probably implies he should.
Speaker 3: Be and we live in a world right now Where Chase burns the big thing is command, Wise But Chase burns is dominating with two. Pitches SO i Think Johnny king can get away with mostly being two pitch heavy because of how good they both.
Speaker 2: Are he's just gonna.
Speaker 3: Need to find a lot more consistency command, wise and at least he's taking a step in the right, direction right, now.
Speaker 4: Yeah those two pitches are disgusting and a reminder for talking about that command nineteen years, old, right drafted at. SEVENTEEN i, mean this, kid he's a teenager, Still, like there's so much time, there and, yeah like you hit on like the two pitch mixes is. Ridiculous it's, disgusting and it's almost as good as you can. Get it's, lefty he's, nineteen he's. Long there's just there's so much to dream. On there obviously some serious steps that still need to be, taken but in terms of just like you look at a guy and you're, LIKE i can envision a world where this guy is an amazing big league, Pitcher like you can see that a little bit, gag even if it's still very very far.
Speaker 2: Away, yeah you don't have to squint too.
Speaker 3: Hard and then, ALSO i mean with the fact that his fastball at ninety five roughly.
Speaker 2: He's getting an eighteen.
Speaker 3: Vert the fact that he at nineteen years, old still at six' three could probably grow into more and. Probably will if he's sitting ninety five to, ninety seven, then yeah he and that curveball averages, eighty two but like is eighty three eighty four and he's got the gyro slider and.
Speaker 2: IT'S win, i mean that will, be, dominant DOMINANT.
Speaker 3: And i think the command could just improve by the mere fact that he doesn't have as big of a secondary pitch like the change up is just got to. Find it the curveball is just a. BIGGER pitch i think a shorter gyro slider would be easier for him to land, as well and it could probably help the.
Speaker 2: Overall Command and.
Speaker 3: I'm sure they just don't want to add pitches. JUST yet i bet we could see that going in the next Year And king king has his again as highest ceilings you're gonna find from a prospect outside of our top.
Speaker 2: One hundred you.
Speaker 4: Have it that's our heat sheet for. The day we focus on the. Picture side that. Was fun love getting into these. ARMS sometimes i know we got a bunch, more fun interesting episodes on the way here in the. Coming weeks we're heading towards. Draft Season obviously draft guns is gonna be. Picking up then from there we'll have our, you know our next top. One hundred it will be after. The deadline trade deadline season is a whole other type of thing that we talk about on. The, Call up so a lot of really cool stuff coming up Here.
Speaker 2: In, July yeah i've been doing a lot of draft for youcon now some.
Speaker 3: Fun takeaways i'm excited to start sharing the more we dive, Into it so as the draft, gets closer we will absolutely dive deeper into it and talk more. About it, but yeah it's been fun getting into this class a little bit and starting to really. Dig in you know now that the top one hundred is, behind us and we'll have plenty of coverage for you on.
Speaker 2: The way, as always thank you.
Speaker 3: For listening subscribe, on YouTube help us, grow there comment let us know if you can leave a rating on the. Audio side we really appreciate it. As well check out the articles we're writing about a lot of stuff prospect Wise ones Baseball dot com just publish a really fun Conversation With bryce eldridge as well on things that are clicking. For him that's linked to the episode description if you want to check, it out and we look forward to talking prospects with you.
Speaker 2: Very soon
Speaker 4: M