Speaker 1: Kubbooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old republic, a sol fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse. Wow to Clearinghouse of hot takes, break free for something special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now.
Speaker 1: In the air Eyway. The Fifth Hour with Me, Ben Mahler and Dany g Radio. It is Saturday, Saturday, Saturday, as we hang out with you. More NFL playoff football coming up later today on National Popcorn Day. Today, the nineteenth of January, National Popcorn Day. And I believe we've there's more than one popcorn Day. I feel like we do this every so often. But the fun fact on popcorn, right, fun fact on popcorn. It goes back to fifteen nineteen the Astechs. The first sight of popcorn in Mexico was with the as Techs, So shout out ASEX. Didn't they do human sacrifices the as Tex the good and the bad? They cooked up the popcorn? Wow? Who do you think the first person that figured out that you heat up these corn seeds and you get the delicious popcorn.
Speaker 3: It had to be a really creative Indian.
Speaker 1: That must have been the most amazing mind bending moment. When they figure that out, you think, wow, that's wild.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And then who's the first one to put butter on it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, butter? Sure.
Speaker 3: And then who's the first person to put nacho cheese or dip it into nacho cheese at the movie theater?
Speaker 1: Now you're just blowing my mind. Now you're just blow.
Speaker 3: By the way. Promotion today, all cinemak theaters are doing a popcorn special. You don't even have to get a movie ticket. You could walk into any cinemark with a bucket, any bucket as long as it's clean, it says, any clean bucket, and it's five dollars. Oh really, they'll fill up to I think it's set up top. Yeah, I'll check the gallons here. I forget how many.
Speaker 1: But the big tubs that people get for holiday parties, those big plastic tubs you.
Speaker 3: Mentioned going I'm bringing my hamper, why not? What the hell?
Speaker 1: There you go, your popcorn fun fact. So at fifteen nineteen, the Aztecs, I guess, came up with it. And then in sixteen fifty some dude from Peru was blown away by this and wrote about it. Maybe inca terror. Our friend wrote about it, but or his some of relatives, and he wrote this person wrote, they toast a certain kind of corn until it bursts. They call it pisson a colla. I believe I'm mispronouncing that. But anyway, that became became popular, and it wasn't until the nineteen twenties. Many theaters refused to sell popcorn. They thought it was too messy. In the nineteen twenties, those people called idiots, that's what they are. But wasn't that case Like in those days, Danny, people got dressed up to go see a show. Remember of the movies was a big deal. You get all dressed up, all dulled up to go out there and put on your church clothes and kind of like flying. Oh yeah, line, they would get all dressed up to fly. Now people look like absolute pigs.
Speaker 3: Oh, by the way, I found it here, it's up to three gallons any container tote or back.
Speaker 1: So you get like get a couple of you know, two or three, three, boom, you're good. Ninety two. According to a national survey over nine and ten Americans ninety two like popcorn and the others must be allergic to it. That must be it.
Speaker 3: That's good. Yeah. The only thing I don't like is how the kernels get stuck in your teeth.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't mind it because my move is I mean what I do, Danny as I go out and I get the toothpick. That's my move. That annoys me the wife though, because I'm picking up my teeth and she gets annoyed by that.
Speaker 3: My wife, she does the same thing. She has those picks, the floss picks. Yeah, yeah yeah, and she sawing away and I'm like, how long are you going to do that?
Speaker 1: I'm a big toothpick person. I believe in the toothpick. I'm pro toothpick.
Speaker 3: I believe it. I could I could picture you with a toothpick behind your ear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I'm not behind my ear.
Speaker 3: Wait, can you remove tarder at home? No?
Speaker 1: We got today in the end, if I got rams Eagles, that'll be kicking off just after noon our time, three o'clock in east and then the game everyone's been looking for to snow, snow, snow. The sports with Coleman Bowl as he takes on Bill's Mafia Ravens and Bills. That's gonna be awesome. That's not late late. That's three thirty our times, six thirty Eastern times, so it's not at night night.
Speaker 3: Was that a pick them when you gambled on it when we.
Speaker 1: Did the show Thursday after noon? And the Ravens were a point and a half favorite, I believe at that time.
Speaker 3: So, but we're looking forward to it. Who'd you take in that game?
Speaker 1: Well, you watch Benny versus the Penny find out. But I did take the I took the Bills. I took the Bills at home Snow game. I still don't trust Lamar Jackson. Although this is a legacy as I said on the TV show, this is a legacy deal for Josh Allen, who's gonna win the MVP.
Speaker 3: And if you.
Speaker 1: Look at his career, he's already lost at home in the playoff to Mahome and Joe Burrow, and if he loses to Lamar Jackson, you start questioning things. They're like, what's going on?
Speaker 3: This is you know, what are you doing?
Speaker 1: You've lost your contemporaries and this is that this is this generation of great quarterbacks and so all four of them, they're judged against each other.
Speaker 3: Ah. I can't wait for this game. I feel like Derek Henry is going to be a big part of this game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you would think the Bills their defense is average, but I still won't know about the Ravens defense. They played very well the last part of the year, and really it lasts like seven or so games, and I'm still a little skeptical. And the Bills and Ravens played early in the year and the Ravens just kicked the shit out of the Bills. But the Bills were without seven defensive starters, Amari Cooper, who's hit and miss as you know because he played for the Raiders. But Amari Cooper wasn't on the team at that time. And I don't know how much throwing is going to happen because of the snow. So well, I'll be locked in. We'll look forward to that game later today. We have we have actual mail. We have people that sent mail in they want us to answer their question.
Speaker 3: Oh it's about that time, mail, mother sucker, It's here we go.
Speaker 1: This is from Alf's neighbor Mike in Siberia aka Fullerton, And by the way, thanks to Ohio Al love the tune, appreciate that.
Speaker 3: The great Ohio Al.
Speaker 1: Says, Hi, Ben and Danny G not to get political, but you know what that means, Danny, that means everything about to get political, everything before the word but everything before the word but is a lie. And he says, are you aware that Donald Trump's inauguration is tomorrow? It's Martin Luther King the weekend, Donald Trump. Yeah, any G's buddy will be reinaugurated as the president. Do you think you'll watch more of that or the college football championship game on Monday night. I know you guys are more in the sports radio world than political, but I still think it's a good question. For all, I know Danny G might make a personal appearance at one of the presidential balls. He does have an inn with President Trump. And there's another question, So we'll do the other one in a second, but let's start with that. So I don't know exactly what time the inauguration is, believe it or not. I do like polics, whether it's Democrats or Republicans. I obviously lean more one way than the other. I think you kind of know that if you listen to the show or whatever, But I like watching that. Although this is an anniversary for me. It was January twentieth of nine when I got whacked. I was poll axed by the company the day that Barack Obama was sworn in as president. So this I have a little PTS post traumatic syndrome situation when they inauguration Day happens, because it brings back some tough memories. But I will check some of it out. I think it happens kind of later in the afternoon, maybe early afternoon our time, so I will I'll watch some of it, mainly to see how uncomfortable a lot of people probably will be, Danny, because there's a lot of people there that aren't big fans of mister Trump, and so they'll be upset, and so always get a kick out of that. People freak things that you don't need to freak out about that they freak out about. So it's pretty funny. So I don't know about you're gonna be watching any of that. You'll be working. I assume are you off, You're not awfun?
Speaker 3: No, we'll be working the Covino and Rich Show. I'll watch some of it same as you. I'll watch more of the football game obviously, but it doesn't matter Democrat or Republican is being sworn in. I'll always watch a little bit of it, And then you want to see some of the performances too, Like there was some controversy quote unquote controversy that Carrie Underwould is going to be performing. What I really want to see with her is how she can't make any emotional look on her face. She can't look happy, she can't look sad, She only looks surprised because of all the plastic surgery.
Speaker 1: She's spent a lot of her money she's put in where her mouth is and her nose.
Speaker 3: And her eyes and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it doesn't it feel a little different though, you know, not that this is political, however, it does feel a little different like when the last time, it's like so it seems like a lot of like anger and upset, Like Trump won the popular vote this time, So it seems a little different. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know. Just seems a little different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's a little bit different because more people came out this time were open about who they voted for and weren't hesitanting about it at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the people the doom and gloomers on the world's going to end and all that stuff. If Trump becomes president, well, he was president for four years and things are actually better by the time time he left than when you know, he came in, and now things were worse when Biden left as opposed to Trump. So I don't know, good luck to Biden man. He's not in good health.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't know.
Speaker 1: Who knows how much time he's got left, So hopefully he enjoys his final final years as the former president. Let's see alf alf Mike and Fullerton also says, what is the longest shower you guys have ever taken? Do you think you could take a longer shower than the master of the two hour shower, Helmet Man if you tried. Yeah, I don't know if you heard Danny, probably not. But Helmet Man called to show the other night and informed us that his showers are now down to half an hour before he would take two hour showers.
Speaker 3: I saw one of your listeners tweeting about this after it happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, two hour showers half of the morning.
Speaker 3: That's insane, man, That's not a shower's that's sitting in a jacuzzi. I mean, yeah, you can't even you can't even sit in a jacuzzi for two hours.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your fingers turned to grapes and stuff after, you know, they get the all squiggly and the skin gets all So I think he must go in and out of the shower. Next time he calls, I forgot to ask him the other But next time he calls, I have to say, what's going on?
Speaker 3: How does he afford that water bill?
Speaker 1: Right, it's ridiculous, it's absolutely he's got to be at a hostel. Well, I know he's got an Obama phone. We're the number one show on Fox Sports Radio for people with Obama phones. So my show, the Overnight Show, Holy crap. So I'm not sure my showers about. I don't time it, but it's you know, it feels like seven to ten minutes at the most, and that's about it. Probably a little less than that in and out. That's what a shower is all about. Don't spend a lot of time in there and get done. And now my one thing that I go a little over the top on is I will I will before I take a bath. I shower before the bath, which is wrong, but I don't want to get in the bath all dirty, because then I'm just sitting in the dirt.
Speaker 3: Oh that's different. I've never heard of that move. Yeah. You know what's really nice A long hotel shower. Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: And in the hotel, it's.
Speaker 3: Oh, hotel, you can double the time of your shower.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. No, I agree with you on that. I agree. And the water doesn't count in the hotel when you go the water, it's yeah, the.
Speaker 3: Oh god.
Speaker 1: Anonymous writes and says, I live next to a Senior citizen center and I am disabled, so I can go there to the food pantry. I realized that the grocery store down the street is giving the food to the pantry, so I went to the food pantry and then gave the items to my mom to return to the grocery store. I told my mom that, you know, at the grocery store, they got me the wrong items. Can you return these for me? It's been successful for about six months. Have you ever found a loophole in the system like this before you were Danny g that you were able to capitalize on like I am doing. And this is again from Anonymous, So this person Danny is claiming that they're rigging. They're taking money from the grocery store. The money, so how's the way. So the money, I assume that's a tax rite off for the grocery store. The food that they don't sell they give to the Senior Citizen Center and they get money back from the government. Right, I assume that's how that works.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I would assume.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say be careful, anonymous. At some point someone's going to figure that out and then you're gonna have some explaining to do. But I guess if you're disabled, you can play the disabled card. But your mom's not disabled, so that might be a problem. So good luck. I'm trying to think any loophole, Danny. I. I really haven't done anything along those other than like media freeloading. Other than that, but.
Speaker 3: That's not and that's on the up and up. That's not freeloading.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, that's what I say.
Speaker 3: You know, that's pretty I mean, they have official online forms for that, so there's nothing illegal about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know they have. They invite you when you go to these bits, and they have certain foods that you can have and all that, and I mean that's all it's all good.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean, the only way we do all these iHeart training videos every year. The only way we could get into trouble is if we did like little Wink Wink commercials for companies on the air that weren't approved.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's called Paola. Yeah, you're get in trouble for that.
Speaker 3: By the way, this podcast is being brought to you by Puma. You know what you're laughing about. I don't know. It seems seems these brand new Puma X three's on right now. I gotta tell you, Ben, they're super comfortable. I wore them all all day yesterday while I was walking.
Speaker 1: Is that right?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 1: What color are they?
Speaker 3: They're gray in the Puma logos black. We get them in all colors, though. Just go to Puma dot com check it out. That is not a real model of a shoe. That is a joke.
Speaker 1: Uh all right, Next up, let's see Alf from the TikTok. He says, Greetings, gentlemen, how will the TikTok band affect your daily lives? For millions of Americans who rely on the social media platform for their e commerce businesses, the ban will put many out of work personally for me, Alf says, as a conspiracy theorist, I rely on the app to keep me up to date on the latest events, from aliens in backyards to drones in the skies, Alf says, most recently videos from the streets of California detailing the devastation the fires continue to pour in. For example, I saw a video detailing the efforts of a gang of punks from Fullerton riding their electric scooters into la and attempting to burn Genie's bench. This app is essential provide the public with the unfiltered truth that the mainstream media is hiding. Yeah, I'm not very funny. Well, I was well written. That's why Alf sends us me mail every week. That was one of his better efforts. That was a solid job by Alf. Good job by you, Alf. Way to go, my man. Yeah, so I'm not as you know, Alf, you're my TikTok person. I'm not a TikTok guy. I made the determination I can only have so much social media in my life. I use it for work. I remember this week. Give me example, my guy Sports with Coleman was going to war with Bill's mafia. So he's sending me messages, right, He's you know, we're going back and for he's sending me messages and we're yapping whatever, and he's like, did you see this on X or Twitter or whatever. It's like, I'm not on I go on there at night and he's on there all day and I'm like, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: And I go on Facebook to promote stuff. I'll go on on Instagram because they got that, but that's about it. That's my limit. I'm not on TikTok. I heard it's really easy to have like tons of followers on this. I probably should be, but I don't mess around with it as far as I'm collecting stuff. And it's just because it's China, like they to me, I know, going in, if you're on Instagram and X and Facebook, they're collecting, you are the product, right that old line. If you're getting it for free, you are the product. So I totally understand that the government claiming it's worse with TikTok because China has everyone's information and all that, and they clearly have their reasons for it. Well see though, isn't the guy from TikTok's supposed to be at Trump's inauguration tomorrow Danny, I think so.
Speaker 3: So yeah, But I also heard that there are other heads of big corporations like that that are just autumnally invited to a big inauguration like that. So I don't know if that means anything special. But there's been rumors that there could be a wealthy billionaire out there who will buy TikTok and save it. We'll see what happens. This is good timing though, because for show prep, Covino and Rich will always send TikTok clips and I can't open them whenever they send it in the group chat because I don't have a TikTok account either. So it's frustrating because it'll be like a little sports reel or a certain sports story. Can't open it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll get sensed stuff and I'll click, maybe see it one time, and then that's.
Speaker 3: It doesn't even do that for me. It used to let me see it once, okay, and for whatever reason, the past few weeks, it won't even let me watch it one time. Well.
Speaker 1: Fun fact, fun fact, fun fact. You know who's in the lead. I read in one of the business papers this week to buy TikTok, mister wonderful, Yeah, mister wonderful. The guy that, Yeah, Frank McCourt, who I know. I knew him when he owned the Dodgers. I was in his office at Dodger Stadium, and just the guy that was born on third base and got the money and the family owned a bunch of parking lots in Boston and he's partner a billion. Every time you buy parking at Dodger Stadium, you're you're helping out Frank McCort.
Speaker 3: Boy, he pooped all over the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Well we're getting the benefit of that. Because he was so bad, they had to sell the team and that led to what we've got now, right.
Speaker 3: If Yeah, that's a good way to look at it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you had to put up with the bad to get the good. Yeah. Absolutely. Anyway, all right, thank you.
Speaker 3: It's not true that he still owns a percentage of the parking lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, for sure. Yeah, no, he does, and he wants. I had some people from the Dodgers tell me last a couple of years ago that McCourt wants to develop the parking lots at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 3: He wants to.
Speaker 1: Make a I guess in Atlanta at the Braves. I've not been to the bravest ballpark out in the suburbs. But they have like a hotel, they have an entertainment zone with restaurants. He wants to make Dodger Stadium like.
Speaker 3: That, like a city walk. He wants to do Dodger exactly.
Speaker 1: He wants to make it an entertainment thing with a hotel where he'd get revenue from that. And so that's one of the reasons they're they're talking about building that gondola.
Speaker 3: I think Ben means gondola.
Speaker 1: That'll come from from somewhere else in LA and take people like a people mover, So you'd have to park, and what a pain in the ass that would be, Danny, You imagine. You gotta imagine the line for the gondoldos after the game, fifty thousand people leaving at the same time. Because there's gonna being much parking. They build, they build parking structures or whatever, something like that, but a lot of the people would have to take the gondolas. They mainly want that so they can use that space year round and have people go up there at Dodger Stadium. If you've never been to La, you know, we have a mix of people in LA. People not in La So you guy, it's on the top of a hill overlooking the skyline of Los Angeles, and you got it's up a hill.
Speaker 3: So I'm sure media people would get free limo rides to the front of the stadium.
Speaker 1: That would of course, that would happen, unless.
Speaker 3: It you don't even get to go.
Speaker 1: Now this is from the unknown. Listener says, can you talk about how the wealth that wealthy dude gave Stephen King money to save his rock and roll station in Maine. So I saw this. I don't know what you want me to add. Stephen King, member of the story into last year's rock and roll station was going to stop and they was going to go dark and all that stuff. And then I guess a couple of people ended up a couple of rich people ended up coming up with some money and they're keeping the the station on the air. They formed a radio group. I love the name of it, rock Lobster Radio Group.
Speaker 3: Is the name of it. Two.
Speaker 1: Some of the Stephen King's like seventy seven or something like it up there, and he thought it was time for him to get rid of the stations. But some of these stations, Danny and with the point now not that necessarily that's a great investment, but we could probably afford to buy some stations at this point, some of the stations with most of the stuff going to streaming and whatnot. So we'll see my dream, Danny and whoever this person that sent the question is, is radio actually invented or not invented? Invested in promoting radio? There could be an absolute renaissance in radio and radios. People listen to it and does very well, but the perception of radio could be so much better if they actually If the people that were in the business, the people at the very top of all the big companies, if they promoted the radio, there'd be an absolute renaissance in the perception of it.
Speaker 3: Don't let me get my hands on one of these FM radio stations. I'll do the first ever twenty four hour gangs to wrap radio station. You'd call k TUPAC is what no. I got the call letters. I would file for k f u Q hey f you Q.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 3: It's good to be a gangster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he f you r k F you rock Yeah. Kevin in rock Rockford, Illinois writes and he says, I'm sorry to hear about the your friend Ben Brian Wheeler boom shackaca, Yeah, I talked about him. I was supposed to. I suppose I was invited to this memorial service last weekend. Could not make it. Boom shackaalaca.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wheels all time. One of my my, my.
Speaker 1: Greats, he says. Kevin from Rockford on the OI says, I looked him up after listening to the podcast, and according to Wikipedia, he found his birth mother here in Rockford, Illinois, where I live. I thought that was kind of neat. Did you know that the voice of the Little Mermaid was also from Rockford? I did not. That's That's a Rockford fun fact. I used to write into the podcast a few years ago. I was the guy who tried to get a mountain in Colorado named after you, Mount Mallor, but was unsuccessful.
Speaker 3: I remember that, you remember that.
Speaker 1: Thank you for the effort, Kevin. The mountain was formerly known as Mount Evans, but for political reasons, the Wolkester's changed it to a generic name, Mount Blue Sky. Ben and Danny, what do you think would be a good name for a fourteen thousand foot mountain in Colorado?
Speaker 3: Mount Stiffy?
Speaker 1: Mount Stiffy how about just Mount High, Mountain High. At Mountain High out here, I.
Speaker 3: Guess there is a Mountain High out here. Yeah, that's where some people go skiing.
Speaker 1: I meant the other kind of high. Meant you meant Cooper Loop, Ritree, Mount Weed? How about that Mount Weed? Mount four to two. Oh, there you go, Mount cush Mount Cushy, Cushy. Yes, absolutely, thank you for listening, though. I'm glad you wrote in It's good to hear from you. Kevin's people.
Speaker 3: It sounds like everybody finds their long life parents in his town.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, I know. Weeels was Wheels was adopted, and he told me the story about how he tracked there his mom and how emotional that was.
Speaker 3: And oh that is cool. I got to make it out there. Sometimes maybe I can meet my dad for the first times.
Speaker 1: Let's see. Here's another one from anonymous. He says, so, I live in South Boston, mass This is from anonymous, and they have the local bookie in the barroom here. It seems to be better to place a bet with the local bookie than it does to the state with draft Kings application or a fan duel or whatever, just because they take so many fees, the bookie pays out better. What are your what are your thoughts? Well, you know, you have to make your own decision. I had back in the day the Statute of Limitations was run out, so I can talk about this, Danny.
Speaker 3: But I had.
Speaker 1: A bookie when I was younger. But you know the the Draft Kings that they're obviously a big advertiser.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and DraftKings doesn't break your legs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you don't have to worry like if you win. I was worried if I actually ever won big with the bookie, would he suddenly vanish or say I don't I can't come up with the money. You know, you always wonder about that. Yeah, you know DraftKings if they screw over then you know, I don't think they do, but if they did, you'd have legal recourse where the neighborhood bookie. It's pretty hard to go to the cops and say I got screwed over by my neighborhood bookie.
Speaker 3: Yeah. DraftKings is such a big company now, they couldn't get away with screwing a winner over. There's no way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they'd have to if you know, you have documentation that you want and then you could take care of that. Ryan from Shrewsbury rights in in the Commonwealth. Make sure to watch Benny Versus The Penny Ryan on NBC Sports Boston. He says, Hey, Ben and Danny. Last week, Ben, you talked about your friend who passed away and how great he was. And not a jab New York Jab is Danny. That's just a broadcaster, a jab you know. Oh yeah, you thought him in something else. Anyway, he says, that made me start to think, who is another great play by play guy? And I cannot think of any other than the goat Mike Doc Emerck, the guy. That guy can make a boring hockey game super fun. His voice and catchphrases are top notch, especially off the post. What are your guys thoughts on Doc Emrick? Yeah, Doc was great, he's he's retired now. He's a former play by play guy. And I remember going to Kings games back when I used to go out there a lot and Doc Emrick was in town to call a game. It was like a big deal, right like Doc Emrick. You know, this guy started in the nineteen seventies to him play by play, and he just he was the dean of the NHL and did the network stuff when I was at NBC Sports Network before that went belly up. Remember Eddie Oldchuk was there and he did some games with Doc Emrick. I think they were together quite a bit, so he was he was a legend. That's a tough sport to do play by play on.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, man, you are super talented if you could do that, and you're super patient if you can listen to it on the radio. I heard a King's game it was painful to try to listen to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't who's the is it Nick Nixon?
Speaker 3: Is he doing TV or is he I don't know the name of their crew. Like I said, they're very gifted because they can do that play by play. But I and also here in California, let's be honest, we didn't grow besides Wayne Gretzky, we don't know much about hockey. It's not a top three sport for us. But still, man, if you could listen to hockey regularly on the radio, then you are passionate about that sport.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The thing that makes it so difficult is a the speed of the game and be the line changes that they three different lines or whatever. And you've got situation, and then you have power play shorthanded groups and they have different groups for that. And I remember reading the story years ago. It's probably been over ten years, and they documented somebody sat down and listened to Doc Emrick call the game, and the he used over ninety different descriptors during one hockey game, like you know, blocked, bounced, came back, krene, chip, chopped, controlled, covered, deflecting all these different words, which is maestro of the language. Much respect.
Speaker 3: That's that's impressive.
Speaker 1: Listen, It's one of my pet peeves. Danny. I've told you about this off the area. Here's sometimes even like in our business, people doing sports updates or whatever, they used the same phrases. They don't change it. It's so easy to do. It makes it sound so much better. I say, you know, we redirected, ricocheted, rushed, whatever. You changed the words. It sounds much better to the ear. It's just a much better experience. But thank you, Ryan from Shrewsbury. The mail bag continues. This one's from Kyle in Denver. Says, Hey, it's Kyle from Denver. Long time listener, but I've fallen off over the last year with life and haven't been catching up on the podcast Bad Job at You Cop. I saw southern California was on fire and a lot of the cities that you talk about we're on fire. I just wanted to see how you guys are doing. Hepe Paul as, well, there you go, and yeah, well we're still doing the show. Do you were evacuated, right, Danny? Weren't you kicked out for a night or something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we talked about it last Sunday on the mail bag. We had to grab bags and close it and run ten minutes. We had to get out of here. So it was a scary situation, but obviously nothing compared to the people who lost houses and all of their material items that they had in the world.
Speaker 1: I've learned a few things over the last couple of days about wildfires and why houses burnt up and how you could protect your house a little more. And the two things I've learned are a they say, like over eighty five percent of the time during wildfires houses catch on fire. Is the vent to the attic in a house is open and the embers come flying in and catch the attic on fire, and that lights the house on fire. So that's crazy over eighty percent. So if there's a way you can cover your vents, yeas the thing. The other thing is if the houses on fire around you, the gas gets caught on fire, and that blows the house up, like if the gas. A lot of people evacuated didn't turn the gas off a hurry to get out of there.
Speaker 3: Also, Ben, you're supposed to unplug everything before where you leave.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So there was a story this week that there was a firefighter who was out, you know, one of his friends asked to have somebody check on his house. This is early on in the firestorm, and so this this guy goes to the house and he notices there were a couple of houses that weren't on fire yet. And this is in the Eaton Canyon fire. And he went and he ended up breaking entry into the house that wasn't on fire yet. He needed to cool down the gas thing, and so he went to the refrigerator and all you could find was milk and beer. I don't know if you saw the story or not, but it was in guy's like alta dina or whatever. And so he went in there and how he used the milk and beer, He used his training, and he was able to keep the house from from exploding. The surrounding homes were fully engulfed in flames, and he did not. There was no fire trucks around. He just was on his own. He wasn't working. They say, the gas meter, that's the thing. You got to keep that cool because if the gas meter ends up getting too hot, the whole thing explodes.
Speaker 3: That is crazy. And then also I read that there were a couple of homes where the homeowners put their sprinklers on before they left. Yeah, and if you have a good enough sprinkler system that makes a difference. As you can imagine. It doesn't guarantee anything, obviously, but imagine you know, a really good sprinkler system outside of a house blasting, and at least she'd have some little force field around your house. Yeah.
Speaker 1: You wonder all these people in the Palasades and when they have the money, there's there's money all over. But if they can afford to rebuild their homes, are they going to rebuild their homes the same as they were before?
Speaker 3: No ire proof? Now not at all. Did you see the one guy in Pacific Palisades where his mansion stood alone and he had a modern roof. He had a modern roof, and he had he had a specially made brick wall surrounding his mansion. His house was built and it said a lot of it was for earthquake, for earthquake disaster, but it held up to the fire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they say that if you want, you can do it. But from what I've been paying attention, I was because we know we're involved in it. It's all around us, you know. The I've know a couple of people have lost their homes. One of my I don't know if you were at Fox Sports Radio when he worked here, but Patrick O'Neil his home.
Speaker 3: In oh I know Patrick, I worked with him at NBC Sports.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Patrick's home burned up, and I feel fine.
Speaker 3: It was really sad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and my my sister in law's parents business burned up. Then they had a home kind of in the business thing and that burned up in this big nursery. So it's, uh, it sucks, but you learn about I mean, and the things they say. The fire department claims, you've got to do forest management. The electric companies should they need to put the power lines underground. The thing that blows me away about that is that these electric companies get absolutely punched. Like it looks like I don't know for sure, but it looks like the the Eaton Canyon fire started from an electrical wire that caught on fire. They have video of it. But it costs a ton of money to put those power lines in the ground. But doesn't it cost more money, Danny, when they're gonna get sued by everyone whose house burned down from the fire? Like is it wouldn't be easier just to put the lines underground and at least you're not at fault if there's another wildfire.
Speaker 3: You said it, man, I saw an aerial shot of Altadena, just just mind blowing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I at one point made an offer on a home years ago in Alta Dina. I loved it. I used to go to the gym, the twenty four hour Fitness and Alta Dina.
Speaker 3: I remember you telling me about that. I know you have some history in that part of La Yeah. I loved dan you. Yeah, boy, that was a smart move by you to go in a different direction.
Speaker 1: Well, I couldn't afford that.
Speaker 3: Okay, let me rephrase that. You being broadcasting.
Speaker 1: I'd like to thank the bosses for not paying me a lot of a lot of money. Let's do one more and then we'll get out on this. Zach from Columbus on the mailback says, you still got to tell the fridge shitter story. I can break it up into two parts. I know it's long, sure, And Zach says he has a new bar store. He's the bartender. He wants to host a mallor meet and greet there in Columbus. He says, one night there was some asshole, unfortunately also named Zach, this little guy, bald guy. He came in with his girlfriend, Brittany, a huge girl, nice girl. There was an altercation. He followed her in the ladies room at the bar. My retired old boss, who was also an older man, the man who shoes I'm now filling, followed little Zach into the lady's room to remove him. I was counting drawers and I heard a very loud shattering of glass from said ladies room. Zack and Columbus says, I charge you. And I see my old boss wrestling with the little Zach after they'd already broken the full size mirror, while big girl Britney is still locked in the stall, bawling her eyes out this is very very cold night, late December twenty seventeen. By the way, so a few years back, Zach the bartender says, I restrained him easily, and I walked him to the exit in a comfortable headlock, gently shoved him out onto the street. As he was shoved out gently, he lost his footing, swung around, caught me in the chin with a punch much more gentle than his removal. But the funny part was in the three sixty degrees stumble. After his little tap on my face, his chants fell down, and his underwear also fell down, and his tiny uh the penis pop right out and he hit the ground hard. I did not hide my observation of the hilarity, so I guess he was laughing there.
Speaker 3: So there's our friend.
Speaker 1: That sounds like a fun memories acting you good to share with the class. So all right, we'll get out. It's sunny. I'll be back tonight to break down all these playoff games. You can ram it all day, you can ram it all night. Can you ram it in the snow? We're gonna find out this afternoon whether you can ram it in the snow and the Rams can punch their ticket to the NFC Championship Game. The final four of the NFL will be determined of the evening today.
Speaker 3: It's exciting, yeah, and then tomorrow I have a dream, new president, new college football champion, all in the same day. Who do you got in the College Football Championship Game?
Speaker 1: The buck guys of Ohio State, they want they will dot the Are you taking the Irish? You're going with the Catholics?
Speaker 3: No? I mean, I'm I know more Notre Dame fans than I do Ohio State fans, but I think the Buckeyes are just too powerful of a team.
Speaker 1: We are supposed to have a verbal octagon tonight on the show, assuming that both Batans in our two were supposed to have a verbal octagon to decide the Notre Dame Ohio State game. So we'll see see how that goes. Anyway, have a wonderful rest of your Sunday. Thank you think you think you? Keep those emails coming in for next week. Real fifth Hour at gmail dot com, Real fifth Hour at gmail dot com, and we will catch you next time.
Speaker 3: Enjoy all the football. Asta pasta, gotta murder, I gotta go