Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: We made it. We did it. We made it to a Wednesday. It's our one. It's already been a great day, unbelievable day. Yesterday went to the supermarket and I'm walking down an aisle and I see the strawberry Nesley's Quick. Is that what it's called? Yeah? I haven't had it in forty years? And I said, you know what, I'm going to have some strawberry Quick. So I started my day with strawberry Quick. I think that's what it's called. Yes, Paulie.
Speaker 3: Why do you think that is? Because I think we all have that stuff we loved as a kid. We can now afford it and buy it anytime we want. Well, we don't eat it or drink it.
Speaker 4: Why is this?
Speaker 2: I have no idea, no idea, but it just jumped out at me. Haven't had it in forty years? Had it this morning? And I said, you know what, I'm going to have a second glass. That's how good I feel today. Marvin, you're a big strawberry Quick guy, aren't you.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, And now that I can afford it, I never have it.
Speaker 2: Hit it on the head. Why I don't know. I don't know what that is like ovaltine. There's certain things. I just walked by the aisle and I was going, God, there's a cornicopia of things that I might want to have for breakfast, and I decided on strawbery quick. Yes, Paul.
Speaker 3: When I was in high school, grade school, I used to go through a sleeve of ruffles, Remember the what was the one pringles in the can where you get your ham stuck. I walked by them all the time. I never get them.
Speaker 4: Why is it?
Speaker 5: I wish I had that kind of willpower.
Speaker 6: I'll get the regular and the pizza flavor and the surkey red onion.
Speaker 1: I can't make up my mind.
Speaker 2: You're coming out with cannisters there under your arm or for nine bucks? Yeah? Who could pass that up and not pass it? Alrighty, all's quiet, or all is quiet on the coaching front, at least so far. And you have the possibility of Mike McCarthy interviewing with the Bears today, and then you have some of these other coaches who were still in the postseason who aren't afforded that luxury. Now, the Dallas Cowboys with Deon Sanders, that's going to get a lot of run that's going to play out until Dallas hires a coach. I don't think it's going to be Dion. I think Jerry Jones did Diona solid Dion is in negotiations for a contract extension at Colorado. He would normally be getting that, but if there's the possibility of the Raiders or the Cowboys, maybe he's able to make some more money there. Because if you listen or read what Dion had to say about his conversation with Jerry Jones, he sort of implied inferred that he was offered the job. Hey, you know, humbled by this, but I got unfinished business at Colorado. I don't think there was an offer here. It wasn't reported as an offer. Dion kind of took it and said, basically, yeah, I'm not going to take this job right now. I got unfinished business. Wait a minute, I didn't offer the job to you. Maybe gets around to doing that. Because normally when you fire somebody, we always at least think the owner has an idea who he's going to bring in. I truly believe that the Craft family with the Patriots knew they were bringing in Mike Brabel and probably knew that in December. They probably knew that a month ago, where it's like this is not working out, they would have brought in Mike Brabel if they weren't already contractually binded with girod Meyo because they wrote it into his contract that he would be the successor to Bill Belichick. Then I think they quickly realized he was not ready to be a head coach. And it goes back to what I've said many many times, not every great coordinator, good coordinator, deserves to be a head coach. Ben Johnson is the object of desire right now. I don't know what he's like. I've never heard him interviewed. I don't know what it's like when you're up there and you're answering questions you just lost a tough game. I don't know what kind of culture is he able to be around Dan Campbell and go I'm gonna have that same culture wherever I go. I don't know is he going.
Speaker 4: To go to the Raiders.
Speaker 2: How does that go with Tom Brady's game this weekend. He's got that game, He's got the Lions game of the Commanders. What happens if they show Ben Johnson on the sideline is Tom Brady, minority owner of the Raiders, allowed to talk about Ben Johnson? Does he have any inside info, which I would believe he would. I like how the NFL makes it seem like this isn't a conflict of interest. Seaton brought up something this morning. He said, imagine if Jerry Jones was going to be the analyst for a game, he'd love that, and he's looking for a head coach. Is there a conflict of interest there?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Seen, Yeah, I mean like, could you imagine Robert Kraft immediately like, well, you know here, may I really not get it done. I think we're going to fire him at the end of the game, and that means we're open for business.
Speaker 2: But the NFL, you know, the NFL is bending over backwards to help Tom. It feels like or looking the other way. Conflict of interest, that is what it is. And then you go back in the way back machine to how they went after Tom, like you know, they were going after him in a big time, big way, like they were investigating him. Then this is like, you know, he's with Fox, He's going to be calling the Super Bowl. Let's play nice. Probably his last year as a broadcaster. No conflict of interest here, yes, eaton, I love.
Speaker 7: Like this is such a blatant conflict of interest that's right in our faces.
Speaker 2: That makes me wonder what are the other.
Speaker 7: Conflicts of interest that they're also like, Ah, don't worry about that, that's no big deal. Don't worry about it. Because this one is right in our faces. Everybody could see it. There's probably a million more that are behind the scenes that they're like, I just wink at that, don't worry about that.
Speaker 4: That's fine.
Speaker 2: What about if it's a blowout. Let's say the lines are up by twenty one with I don't know, seven minutes to go, you got to fill a little time, and all of a sudden, you're gonna go, uh well, Ben Johnson's gonna get a job Tom somewhere. Yeah, he certainly seems like a good candidate to me.
Speaker 5: Anymore on that, Tom.
Speaker 2: No, that's all I have.
Speaker 7: Raiders are looking to hire a new coach sometime before the draft.
Speaker 2: That they wait, is that your Tom Brady?
Speaker 7: All of a sudden, he's got a hardcore accent where he talks about you know, the podcast for the I was talking about the draft on the podcast, whoa What dude.
Speaker 2: Where did that accent come from? I now, now I'm gonna be listening for that.
Speaker 6: Yes, Todd or Brady goes the other way and pretends he's not interested. It's like, I Ben, everybody's on this Ben Johnson bandwagon. I don't know when.
Speaker 5: Everyone that's the reson.
Speaker 6: Then he swoops in at the last minute when everyone thinks that the Raiders aren't interesting.
Speaker 2: It's the Ben wagon. I think it's I'm on the bedwagon here.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Does he go out of his way to say, yeah, I don't know, I don't get it, you know, all right, gimme key plays. I don't know if that works consistent.
Speaker 5: Some are just coordinators.
Speaker 6: They're not necessarily going to make great head coaches.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, both or Brady goes the other way.
Speaker 3: Sam Laporta catches like a pass on the I cannot wait to see him dial that up for hours next year.
Speaker 5: I can't wait. Like he just puts it all out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, uh so that's no conflict of interest there with that game coming up this weekend with the Lions and the Commanders. See, now you're going to listen. Now we're going to read into how many times do you listen to a game where you're going to be reading into maybe an ulterior motive. Troy Aikman came out after with the last game that he and Joe did and said something about the Cowboys job not being a good job or desirable. But Troy is not part of the Cowboys, or he's not part of another organization ripping the Cowboys. Tom Is he's got his fingerprints all over this. He's going to be making these changes, He's making these decisions, but he's also going to be broadcasting a game where maybe the number one candidate for the head coaching vacancies is going to be coaching eight seven seven three DP show email address DPA dan Patrick dot com, Twitter handle it DP show you got Tyler sitting by. He'll take your phone calls coming up and has always stat of the day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of this program. By the way, I have the Morning DraftKings odds. These are the best Super Bowl matchup odds. It's overwhelming that they think it'll be the Chiefs and the Lions. Then it's the Chiefs and the Eagles, Ravens Lions. So Chiefs and Lions plus three seventy Chiefs Eagles and the Ravens line plus five hundred, and then they have the Bills and the Lions plus five point fifty. So they're not factoring in the Commanders or the Rams in this situation. And if you're betting, the best odds according to Vegas, will be the Chiefs and the Lions meeting in the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Yes, Paul, So as of today, Vegas likes the Eagles more than the Lions.
Speaker 2: They no, No, they have the Lions against the Chiefs. Oh, and then that's their Chiefs against Yeah, they have the Chiefs against the Eagles, got it, And then they had the raven No, they really like the Lions because they've got them facing the Chiefs and facing the Ravens and facing the Bills. So if I'm going to plan this, the Bills versus the Lions would be where I would go. Somebody's went in a Super Bowl here? Yeah? Is that how they sell it? And welcome to the Super Bowl. Somebody has to when this game these And can you imagine the pain for one of these fan bases if Buffalo plays Detroit, which fan base would hurt more if they lost this super Oh boy, I'm skewing negative eleven minutes in Dang. I started out great with Strawberry Quick, then i went to Brady conflict of interest, and now I'm talking about pain misery for a fan base. Yes, Paul, I think this is a good question.
Speaker 3: And my instant reaction was the Bills would have more pain. They've been expecting to get a Super Bowl for the past five years. They finally get there. They had the zero for four stretch. Lions never even had that stretch, and then you lose to the team that's never been there.
Speaker 2: But considering this is recency bias from you just lost in dramatic fashion last year, fear of the Lions. So it's not like the Buffalo Bills back in the nineties when they're losing Super Bowls. It's this is the Lions team that's supposed to win the Super Bowl. Are we they're the favorites?
Speaker 3: Are we instituting the pain meter as of today?
Speaker 2: Sure? Yeah, Seaton, what's the pole question?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Do we want to start out with which fan base would suffer more? In a No, I can't do that. I can't do that today because that's what we're doing By the way, if you're going to be in New Orleans for the Super Bowl February fifth, at seven pm local time, I'll be at Tippatina's with Dan Levittard. It's Dan Interviews Dan, and we'll be there for ninety minutes, having a conversation, taking questions and saying hello to people. We still have some tickets, not a lot left, but information on the tickets can be found at Danpatrick dot com and across our social media platforms. Is that the pole question we're going with seedon.
Speaker 7: It's definitely one of them.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's for sure.
Speaker 7: Which fan base would suffer more? Or if they lost to the Super Bowl? Buffalo Bill's Detroit lyons that is a lot of fun. We could also put up there. Tom Brady being an NFL broadcaster and owner is a massive conflict of interest or no big deal?
Speaker 2: Well, let's go round the room here, because I want to be fair to the topic here, Todd, do you think it's a conflict of interest that Brady is a minority owner while calling games?
Speaker 6: I think it's a conflict of interest, But if the phrase is massive conflict of interest, I would lean the other way.
Speaker 5: I think it's a conflict of interest.
Speaker 6: I don't think it's a massive conflict.
Speaker 7: In Okay, Seaton, Uh okay, maybe we'll take out massive. Then I would say it is a massive conflict of interest. Okay, all right then, especially more like the more that it's not exactly a new story, but the more that it sits with me, and the more that everybody's just kicking around head coaching candidates and all this stuff, and you're like, you got this dude doing kate.
Speaker 2: This is crazy.
Speaker 7: How in the world could you allow that to happen?
Speaker 2: Conflict of interest?
Speaker 4: As much as I love minority owner in the NFL, no conflict of interest.
Speaker 3: No, it is oh, okay, okay, Paully conflict of interest. It's the definition of conflict of interest. It's direct. It's not even like a layer removed. And what's worse is the NFL gave Tom special treatment to make it happen. They let him become a broadcaster and approved him becoming an owner, which they did not have to do in any way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like I they could have kept him in the on deck circle before, you know, But I don't think the NFL wants him to get out of the broadcasting Booth. I think that they want him there. I think Fox of course wants him there, and he's going to be doing the Super Bowl. But as I've said for the last couple of months, it feels like he's moving on to something else, and maybe he's won and done during these games and he gets to do a Super Bowl. Yes, Paul, it's kind of.
Speaker 3: Like Seaton said, almost jokingly about Jerry Jones. Would they make him a broadcaster? If I were an NBA broadcast team, I would consider hiring someone like Mark Cuban to be on my staff. But the conflict would be he owns the Mavericks and you couldn't. But he's a star, he's a good guy, he talks well. If I'm a can the NBA do this? I don't think they could.
Speaker 2: Well. I think he's now a minority owner with the Mavericks, so it would be identical if he was doing games. I think Mark sold a good portion of the Dallas Mavericks. I think so.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 8: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David, and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Cavino and Rich. We talked about it everything, life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right. So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 2: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 8: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern, two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 2: That's Covino and Rich. He be on the call Ravens Bills with Tony Romo coming up in the AFC Divisional playoff game, kick off at six thirty East and on CBS. Hello friend, how are you hello?
Speaker 4: Friend?
Speaker 9: Listen? Forget about five hundred. I'm excited about five oh one.
Speaker 4: All that san far behind me, thankfully. It's been a.
Speaker 9: Dream journey to this point, and they get better every week. Buffalo hosting Baltimore this week it's five oh one. I can't wait to get there and I'm as always tickle to be on with you leading up to it.
Speaker 2: More to gain in your opinion, Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson in this.
Speaker 9: Game, and you're going to be talking individual accolades here, and I can tell you that knowing both of them well enough to know this is all about trying to get to the Super Bowl for them. So if you say Josh has more to gain, it's only through the lens of getting to a super Bowl for him. You know he's going to be happy with whatever it takes to get there and try to return that franchise for the first time in thirty some odd years. But then you got Lamaro's had his best year ever doing just jaw dropping things as well. But he wants to get to a super Bowl. So that's a tough question to answer because they both feel like this is the year. And I could give you a pretty compelling argument why I think either one of them are very capable of winning the Super Bowl this year.
Speaker 2: What was it like? Who was jim nance? Game number one of the five hundred?
Speaker 9: It was Vinnie Testa Verdi and the Tampa Bay Bucks at Chris Chandler in the Indianapolis Colts. The great Pat Hayden was with me on the call. It was October of nineteen eighty eight.
Speaker 4: I was a studio.
Speaker 9: Host for our college football's scoreboard show back in those days, the Prudential College Football Report. I worked in the studio in New York on Saturday, parachuted in for the game on Sunday, doing all my production meetings and all of that research by phone. So I didn't have the full treatment as you will on most occasions getting ready for a game. The night that I flew in after hosting the stud udio show was a night that Kurt Gibson hit the home run in the World Series. And remember you remember the Jack Buck call on the home run. I can't believe what.
Speaker 4: I just saw.
Speaker 9: I can't believe what I just saw. Well, last week was number five hundred. As I look back at the scope of it all and the good fortune I've had to be at so many big games in my career, I could truly say, just like it was uttered that very first weekend for me.
Speaker 4: I can't believe what I just saw.
Speaker 2: When's the last time you had announcer envy?
Speaker 9: I mean, all the time, you know me well enough to know that maybe I'll look at things differently. I admire so many people in our industry. I know it's a competitive business. I've never felt like it from that viewpoint. I admire so much many people that I hear and listen to. I was watching TGL last night and listen to Matt Barry calling golf.
Speaker 4: I knew he is a golf guy.
Speaker 9: I don't know Matt really barely at all, but I was admiring what a good job he did.
Speaker 4: You know, it's a tough situation there.
Speaker 9: In a made up environment with golf into a simulator.
Speaker 4: But it's all the time.
Speaker 9: You know, my deep respect for those that came before me, and you know that like the Elder Statesman for me now is is Al Michaels. And you know, listening to Al do a game last week, I just love hearing his cadence's voice. He's been such a magnificent friend in my life, someone to look up to and still a kick every time I talked to him, which is frequently. But the other thing that was brought to light last week on the five hundred Dan was that in CBS has this history with the league where the original network partner of the NFL, and go back to the fifties, think Alan Amichi, think of that game and the Giants in the Baltimore Folts and that was you know, Chris Shenko back then. But you look at people that actually called games play by play at CBS at some point in their careers, includes Al Michaels. Al started at Bob Costas, was a play by play announcer for a year or two before he went to DC, but Summer all Lundquist in Bird the last ten years of his career. Kirk Goudy ended his career at CBS. This is a dangerous game, by the way, because you start going through all the Jim McKay did games for CBS on the NFL. Jack Whittaker, of course, Ray Scott, Frank Difford. I mean it is a you know, Dick Stockton. People don't realize he called the second most NFL games of all time, had a great Hall of Fame career. Frank Glieber again and named is forgotten, but he was a long time number two behind Pat. I felt a little bit of I felt connected to them. Last week, I was the first to reach five hundred games play by play. Now it was surprising. Somebody did the research on it.
Speaker 4: Pat.
Speaker 9: Some are all did seven hundred games in his career. Some of them were at Fox, most of them were at CBS, but some of them were as an analyst when we were young kids. So his play by play numbers at CBS never reached five hundred. And I just felt honored to take the torch and try to run with it instead a new mark, and then, you know what, I had enough of it.
Speaker 4: It's been discussed.
Speaker 9: I'm honored and plattered be given the chance, and I'm ready to go do five oh one this week, five oh two next week, and put the fanfare behind me and go watch some great games.
Speaker 2: Is there an emergency? I don't want to jinx. You guys, an emergency plan if you're not able to do the game at the Super Bowl, there is.
Speaker 9: I've never seen an emergency plan put in place in advance of that. But we're worry warts. Those of us who make are living with our voices. And you know, when I've worked as many weeks in a year as I have for thirty seven years, I was working coast of forty eight weeks a year between college basketball, the NFL, and golf. So of course you're going to have your battles along the way with a cold or the flu, and how are you going to get through it? You know, you worry yourself about being around anyone who is sick. My little boy and I have a young son, Jamison. He had the sniffles last night. He said he had a sore throat. I mean, it's just I had all the guardrails up, still trying to interact, put him to bed, say his prayers, sing a nighttime song, and I thankful he felt better this morning. But I started to do the map on it. Two days from now, I could have whatever he is starting to come down with. And I'm going to go into this weekend compromise.
Speaker 4: But we we do. We do find a way to survive it.
Speaker 9: Anything that's you know, short of laryngiatis, we're pretty much gonna tough it out. I could hear in Troy Aikman's voice the other night. I could hear something was going on with him. There was a hoarseness that I know. He wasn't one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: He's Jim Nantz, the Hall of Famer. He'll be on the call five oh one. Don't bring up five hundred to him. It's the Ravens and the Bills. The AFC Divisional playoffs. Go back to the last time the Super Bowl was in New Orleans, and when you first got an inkling that there was an issue with the power outage, he did, I.
Speaker 9: Gotta give it to your brother. You come up with the best questions. It's just no one, no one like you. So obviously I'm not ready for that answer if I wanted to really give it a thought. But it's just easy, okay. I was there with Phil Simps. It was like nine thirty eight to go in the third quarter. The Ravens had the football at roughly their own forty three yard line, and there was a black O handoff and there was a run up the middle, and all of a sudden, all my monitors went this black, complete dark, and in my headset, I can't hear me finishing the call. I was in the middle of a call, so I just thought there was a power surge in the booth. But you know, right after that, of course, in a millisec you realize the lights are out, the whole thing's coming down, the whole broadcast is probably off the air. I mean it took you had to do some quick processing about what was happening. So I have no link to the truck. I can't hear from the producers. I don't have any visual cues. We're all in the dark, figuratively and literally. But my cell phone was work king, So I called Lance Berrow, our producer in the truck. Now that was a dumb thing to do, because he was just as I'm sure it is, more in the center of the storm than I was. But he didn't pick up. But I was trying to just hey, what's going on? And then I thought, let me call Melissa. You guys all know Melissa. She's been my chief of staff or a quarter of a century. And I called her cell phone and said what in the world is happening right now? And she explained that we were knocked off the air. You know, you had all kinds of really not so good thoughts at that point. This is twenty thirteen. You know, you're wondering if is it a terrorist attack? You hate to even say it, but you don't know what it is. And as you know, it took thirty five minutes before everything was restored, and that overshadowed really what was a compelling game right down to the wire. People forget San Francisco had four plays inside the ten yard line last minute to try to win the game, four incompletions, Kaepernick on three of them to Michael Crabtree, all defended and incomplete. It was a game that was in the thirties. It was a one score game, and no one remembers that. All they remember is the night the lights went out in New Orleans.
Speaker 2: I also remember Steve Tasker being pressed into service as sort of the guy on duty. He was like the night watchman and his microphone was working and he kind of was hosting the Super Bowl.
Speaker 4: We could not find well.
Speaker 9: First off, the studio show is in one of those collapsible sets that takes four or five minutes to get it standing, and Jab and all the crew were hurriedly getting into place. But you were looking for someone to be able to be on mike and to help carry the moment. And Phil and I had no line of communication. We're still out and Steve, Steve filled in brilliantly.
Speaker 2: You got paid for a full game, though, didn't you.
Speaker 9: You know I should go back and look at it. But can I tell you a secret. Honestly, I would pay to do the game. That's the dirty little secret. I can say it now that I've got a long term contract, and I'm you know what, I've always been forth right about it.
Speaker 2: I would do all of this for free, Romos.
Speaker 9: I mean, as long as I could have a house and be able to provide for my kids and everything.
Speaker 4: It's never what it's about.
Speaker 9: It's about, well, partly, it's about fulfilling the big part of the fulfilling the childhood dream to be a voice, not to be the story, but to be the story teller and be able to attend these events. And you know, it's it's all. It's all a gift. It's about legacy too, Dan. That's why when I look at happening sometimes in sport. Let's take what's going on in golf, and some have left the PGA tour. I'm not going to get deeply into all of that, but you have to make a legacy decision at some point. You know, you've been blessed enough to be given the chance, and you probably made a few bucks along the way.
Speaker 4: What is it really about for you? Well, it's about being able to say that you've lived out your dream and this is what you did. It's about legacy, and that's how I feel about it now that I'm.
Speaker 9: Reaching these certain milestones. They come a little bit more frequently with long devity, that's for sure.
Speaker 4: These days.
Speaker 2: Let's go to Tony Romo get his thoughts. Tony Jim says that he would work for free. How about you, would you work for free?
Speaker 7: Well, I mean, Tony, I've certainly made enough money all this time away. Yeah, I think I can provide for myself in about thirty seven thousand other families. Yeah, yeah, I think I would.
Speaker 9: Okay, it's great to get Tony engaged in the show right now.
Speaker 4: He's my guy. I love it.
Speaker 2: Tell Tony now, if Romo can't do it, Seaton, I think could be his understudy.
Speaker 5: I don't know what am I gonna do? You want to run it here, you want to what would you do to.
Speaker 4: Dayton? Why don't you make way up to uh? In the bullpen by guy?
Speaker 2: I'd love it. I'd love it.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: If you look back, though, can you extract one moment that that would stand alone over everything else that you've done. When you speak a legacy, one moment, whether it's football, basketball, or Dolph.
Speaker 9: That's when you're talking about one event, one game call, or one thing that I had. Well, the most special thing of all will always be April twelfth, nineteen ninety two.
Speaker 4: Nothing had ever topped that for me. Well, I get there is one thing.
Speaker 9: I don't get to that maybe in a second here, But that was when my old dorm suitet mate at the University of Houston Bread Couples, won the Masters.
Speaker 4: We used to have.
Speaker 9: These crazy dreams that one day he was going to win the Masters, that that was all about legacy for him, that was his life goal. And of course by this time, first day I show up on campus, I make the declaration that one day I want to work for CBS, Like that's going to happen. Fortunately, it did, and blessedly it did for me. But his dream was to win the Masters. My dream was to one day broadcast the Masters, and I also wanted the broadcasts for CBS because I love the way they presented the NFL raised on a heavy diet of let's say, summer all in Brookshire, summer all in Madden. So in our dorm room, you know the story Dan, not every day, but on a couple of occasions, along with Blaine McCallister, our great roommate, who had a spectacular career, won five times on the tour himself, we used to practice the green Jackets ceremony, just kids make believe, dreaming, just imagining something, opening up your mind, what that moment could be like. And I'm sitting there in a dorm room, room one oh one, Tom Hall Taub. It's now been raised, but there we are. Fred's sitting across from me, and we're doing an imaginary interview. He's just won the Masters, and I'm hosting the presentation. So in nineteen ninety two, that actually happened, except we weren't in dorm room. We were in Butler Cabin and the world was watching. So how do you beat that? There's only one way that that could ever be better for me, and that is that's when my son Jamison wins the Masters and he comes in the Butler cabin and I say hello son and goodbye friends.
Speaker 4: That will be it. That's the last show.
Speaker 2: Not to play, to walk off on them.
Speaker 9: But I mean, that's how outrageous it would have to be to better that moment for me. But other than that, listen, last year's Super Bowl, you know, went three second shy of five full quarters. The most watched television show in the history of American television by a lot, not by like one percent, by twelve percent.
Speaker 4: Two hundred and three million Americans watched it one time.
Speaker 9: Normally I don't even care about that, But now that we were walking around with the belt, the championship belt, I'm making believe here now it was a great game the broadcast. Thankfully for our production team, it won the Emmy. So proud of the thousand people that presented that that day and in all those years of doing the NCAA Tournament, there are just too many to isolate. And back at that little place in Augusta, Georgia, Tiger nineteen ninety seven, a win for the ages pass forward to twenty nineteen. This scene plays out again, the return to glory, and Tiger is walking off the green and he's hugging Charlie, his son. It's a perfect and perfect symmetry with the scene we had seen twenty two years before, when Tiger walked off the green breaking all the records in the history of augusta youngest champion, largest margin of victory, the seventy two hole scoring record, the youngest ever. And there was Earl, his dad. If you GPSD it, I would say that it happened on the exact same spot Earl hug Tiger. Twenty two years later, Tiger hugs Charlie. It went from a father to a son, and now the son's the father and he's having the same moment with his son. If you're in the storytelling business, it's about as rich as it gets, about as high drama as it gets. You know, thankfully we're on camera. As you know, there are shedding a few silent tears along the way. Is all that's happening. If you have a heartbeat, you realize the gravity.
Speaker 4: Of that moment.
Speaker 2: Great to reminisce.
Speaker 9: I love reminiscing with you. You know I'm wearing something here. I just I know they've got a lot going on out there. But this is Bellair Country Club's shields, okay, and Owl's a part of that. I've been fortunate to be a part of that club for a long time as a member.
Speaker 4: We have a lot.
Speaker 9: Of our families out there that have lost their homes. It's it's a lot. It's there are many many unfortunately lived in the Palisades and what's going on in LA. I don't want the story to just we get numb to things like this. These are families, these are people, lives were but the twenty six is the.
Speaker 4: Death toll now.
Speaker 9: And I'm just as I said signing off on Sunday from Buffalo after the Buffalo Denver game, LA, We're thinking of you, we're praying for you, and really tough times. So we're out here talking fun and games. That's real life. And people's whole entire lives have been uprooted life savings, you know, starting from scratch in the middle of their lives and maybe later in their business careers whatever.
Speaker 4: It's all gone.
Speaker 9: And it's not just because it's three days and retired to the story. Let's move on to something else. It's real and I'm just thinking of all my families out there that I know, many of whom you would know, Dan, and it's just indescribable.
Speaker 2: Have fun this weekend. Thanks for joining us. As always, I'm coming to see you the summer. By the way, I'm on your door up there. Hello.
Speaker 4: Okay, I know where you are.
Speaker 2: Now do you want to come in for a meet Friday.
Speaker 4: Into that studio right there?
Speaker 2: Well, this is Maine, now that's what.
Speaker 4: I'm talking about. I'm going to make it this summer.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well it's it's not Butler's cabin, it's Danny's cabin. But we'd love to have you. That's awesome.
Speaker 4: I don't need to be on the air. If you need an emergency, you talk about emergency fill in. If maybe a guest doesn't show up, I'll pop on for five minutes. But I'd like to see the studio.
Speaker 9: But better than that, i'd like to go out and have a lunch with you afterwards, so I'll find you.
Speaker 2: Sounds great.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Thanks, Dan, all the best.
Speaker 2: That's Jim NaN's Hall of Famer.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: So we just played in or out as we welcome in Robert Griffin Junior the third to play in or Out. You can check out out of Pocket with RG three on YouTube wherever you get your podcast. Good to talk to you again. All right, are you in or out? Sam Donald staying with the Vikings?
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, I mean I'm out. I'm out on that JJ McCarthy. You know, I you know, if people tend to forget about JJ, but I was a huge JJ guy coming out. I know why NFL coaches love him. He can make the practical plays. He's not a stat merchant, he's not worried about those types of things. But he can also make the off schedule play and has the athleticism and mobility that you look for. Sam Donald, in my opinion, I don't think that his fall off was as big dan as people are making it out to be. I think the eighteen weeks of the season or the seventeen weeks of the.
Speaker 11: Season that he played well still are gonna, you know, help him in free agency.
Speaker 10: But I do not think that he'll be back with Minnesota.
Speaker 2: Are you in or out that the Cowboys Dun Sanders story is a real story.
Speaker 11: I'm in with an asterisk.
Speaker 10: I've talked to Dion and I knew this months ago that the only way he'll go to the NFL is if he has an opportunity to coach his sons, and he's been very adamant about that recently. It wasn't my information to share at the time, but I don't think he's gonna go to the NFL just to be an NFL coach, and he doesn't want to chase after his sons. He's set them up to be in a position where they can be highly drafted. If you're Shader and Shallah will have a chance to go play in the NFL as well.
Speaker 11: But I'm in.
Speaker 10: I think he's the best option and Dan I got to say, I was the first person to say it when it wasn't popular last year on the SETTM on a Night Countdown.
Speaker 11: So I'm in on that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I've been saying all along that I thought that there was something up with him with the Raiders. If they were going to get the number one pick and Dion could have gone there and taken his son number one, could you have seen that scenario because I thought that since Tom got in there as the part time owner, minority owner.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I thought for sure, And I know that Dion, you know, he's very supportive of other coaches, and this is something that I'm not sure people really pay attention to a ton where it was Kenny Dillingham at Arizona State, where there's Marcus Freeman, where there's Mike Vick in his situation Inofolk State. He's very supportive coach of other coaches, and he didn't want to undercut Antonio Pierce. So I remember they were at that banquet a few weeks ago when Peerce was the coach, and he was like, hey draft my son blah blah blah, because he wants his son to be in a situation that, you know, Tom Brady being there have an influence mentoring Shador would be great.
Speaker 11: So I was in on that as well.
Speaker 10: I didn't think that Dallas was the only place that Dion could go and be a head coach in the NFL, but I did think that before this season they should have fired Mike McCarthy and hired Dion to bring an identity and a culture there to Dallas that he's brought to it with him to Jackson State and now also to Colorado.
Speaker 2: All Right, are you in or out Shadore pulling in Eli Manning Tennessee or Cleveland? Where to draft him? Man?
Speaker 11: I think I'd be in.
Speaker 10: I'd be in because at the end of the day, I'm a player empowerment guy.
Speaker 11: And it's funny.
Speaker 10: Because last year I said that Caleb william should have pulled an Ali Manning on the Chicago Bears, and a lot of people got upset with me. But Dan, I don't know if you noticed, I ended up being right about that. And the bottom line is structure matters, who the coach is matters, who you have around you matters. And if Shadur, because he's a grown man, feels that Tennessee or Cleveland are not the right place for him, then that's his decision to make. I, for one, believe that they're not.
Speaker 11: The right place for him, So I'd be in on that.
Speaker 2: Who more to gain from a win this weekend in Buffalo with Josh Allen Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 10: I think Lamar Jackson has more to gain if you look at their playoff numbers. Josh Allen has a quarterback rating over one hundred, and his krypt Knit has really been Patrick Mahomes and the knsas City chiefs Lamar Krypton Knight has been his second playoff game and just his success in the playoffs altogether.
Speaker 11: So I think if Lamar.
Speaker 10: Loses, you will see or should I say the Baltimore Ravens lose, because quarterbacks don't win lose games. But if the Ravens lose, you'll see a lot of people come out and destroy and destroyer Lamar Jackson. And in this case, I would I would have to agree that it's warranted. This is an MVP showdown. And then I wish I wish the trophy was on the line in this game because that would be just add so much more intrigue to it. But I do think Lamar has more to lose. But I don't think the game comes down to Lamar Josh. I think it comes down to Derreck Henry and James Cook. And that's I believe that's the matchup between those two in the offense, two lines up front will determine who wins the game.
Speaker 2: Talking to r G three, fill in the blank, Justin Herbert is blank.
Speaker 10: Justin Herbert is Philip Rivers. That's what he is right now, and Philip Rivers it is a compliment. Dan, would you would you love to have the career that Philip Rivers had?
Speaker 2: Compared to who?
Speaker 10: I'm asking you just as a as a fan, as a guy who's covered the game, would you love to have the career that Philip Rivers had?
Speaker 2: I would take Joe Flacco's over Philip Rivers, but should not answer the question. Would you I think that most I would take Philip Rivers career?
Speaker 11: Yes, I think most fans would would take Philip Rivers career.
Speaker 10: So when you say is it a compliment, I'm saying it just depends on who you what you're how you're looking at this. Is it a compliment to or is it would you rather have Philip rivers career.
Speaker 11: Or Peyton Manning's career? Paid Manning?
Speaker 10: So for Justin Herbert, he has to decide at some point it can't be everybody else's issue anymore. He's had three head coaches and four offensive coordinators. Every single coach he's had has been blamed for his lack of success. In the playoffs, he throws four interceptions, not every single one of them were on him. I'm not going to go so far as to say that he is not a good quarterback, because he is a good quarterback, but at some point when it's nut cutting time, he has to step up in the playoffs, and it can't be well, it was this coach's fault or that coordinator didn't get it done. And now I'm hearing people talk about Greg Roman again and how Greg.
Speaker 11: Roman is the issue. He didn't do this, he didn't do that.
Speaker 2: And I just looked at him and say, Herbert is not blaming the media is making excuses for Justin Herbert.
Speaker 11: And I agree that.
Speaker 10: I want to be very clear there, Justin Herbert took full accountability and responsibility after the game for how he played. This is not a Justin Herbert things. It's more of a US thing. Right in the media, We're all in this together. We got to be able to hold him accountable to the same lengths that we hold Lamar Jackson, Dak Prescott or even Peyton Manning when he was early in his career didn't have a ton of playoff success. Herbert is now in that realm where he's gonna make a decision if is he gonna be Philip rivers or is he gonna be able to turn the corner and be a Peyton Manning type.
Speaker 2: But I think when you lumped him in with Dak Prescott and Lamar Jackson, to me, they shouldn't be lumped in because Dak is the quarterback of the Cowboys. Yes, always going to get more credit and more blame always. Lamar's a two time MVP and hasn't done anything in the postseason. Justin Herbert, I think is propped up by a portion of the media that wants him to be a great quarterback. He's not a great quarterback. Lamar's won two MVPs. He has got to perform in the postseason. That's what we expect that MVPs. And Dak you know, you walk into that position and you know you're going to get criticized. And Dak has not really done much. And now he's thirty two coming off hamstring surgery and so he can't he's injury prone, in immobile. And now whoever takes over the Cowboys inherits that that's that's not a good recipe there.
Speaker 10: Yeah, And you're talking about my tweet from a couple of days ago when the when the Chargers lost. And the reason I I, Mike and Dave you know Anita wedding date, lumped them all in together is because, yes, I can understand the Lamar Jackson piece.
Speaker 11: Two. Yeah, you like that movie reference. It's a great movie. I don't know why people don't like it.
Speaker 2: It's a great movie.
Speaker 10: I understand the Lamar Jackson piece, the two time MVP. But now we're just creating these subcategories for well, we're gonna criticize this guy, but not this guy. Lamar's success in the playoffs or lack thereof, or of how he's played, he still made it to an AFC Championship game. Justin Herbert hasn't even sniffed that. So when you look at Dak Prescott and what he's been able to do, Yeah, as the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, that's awesome. But I'm not gonna subdivide that and say I'm gonna give Dak more criticism just.
Speaker 11: Because he's a quarterback of the Cowboys.
Speaker 10: I'm gonna give Lamar more criticism despite the fact that he's done more than almost every quarterback in his draft class when it comes to his success on the field. Justin Herbert has unbelievable stats. You probably know all of the NFL records that he's broken, from passing yards to passing touchdowns to wins and everything in between. I do think he is a great quarterback. The question is is he a clutch quarterback when it matters? And right now he hasn't been. And for that, to me, it's you either give everybody grace and you say, hey, it took Steve Young seven eight years to figure it out, it took Manning eight nine years to figure it out, or you make sure you criticize them all at the same level, because quarterbacks always get the most praise and they always get the more criticism, right, more praise than they deserve, more criticism they deserved. We can't create these subcategories and say, all right, well, we're not gonna go after Justin Herbert just because he's not the quarterback of the Cowboys and he's not a two time MVP.
Speaker 2: But who's not going after him?
Speaker 10: Do you think Justin Herbert gets the same amount of criticism that Lamar Jackson does or Dak Prescott, or.
Speaker 11: To a tongue of.
Speaker 2: Lamar is a two time MVP.
Speaker 11: What about to a tongue of a LA. Let's take let's take Lamar out of it. Do you think do you think Justin Herbert gets the same criticism as to a tongue of by law?
Speaker 2: Tua gets a whole passed because of his health.
Speaker 11: Tua does not get a hall passed that they had a whole good can't makes right?
Speaker 2: He Do you think that he's a great quarterback?
Speaker 11: I do, and I think he's the perfect quarterback for Mike McDaniels offense.
Speaker 2: Why would Tyreek wan out if you've got this great quarterback there?
Speaker 10: Well, Tyreek probably one out because Tyreek wants to win Super Bowls and.
Speaker 2: You can't do that with Tua.
Speaker 11: I think you can. But Tua was banged up.
Speaker 2: This year and two is gonna be banged up. We hold our breath. I think that we we hold our breath with him. I don't think people are critical of him. I don't really nowhere near no, nowhere near the other quarterback. No, we got a whole pass. He got a whole pass because of his health. What were his numbers this year? What did he do this year? What did the Dolphins do this year?
Speaker 10: Well, he showed that he's the he's the MVP of the Dolphins because when he was out they couldn't sniff a win. But then when he came back, he actually helped them get back into playoff contention and have a chance at the end of the season to make the actual playoffs.
Speaker 2: So so if they said you're gonna have to of moving forward or Justin Herbert, who would take?
Speaker 11: Yeah? I hate that question, Dan.
Speaker 2: Dammit, you set it up.
Speaker 11: I didn't set it up. You set it up. You're just Dolphins ID I did bring in to her I did if I had, if I had.
Speaker 10: If I had to pick, if I had to pick, I'm I'm taking I'm taking to a talking about law.
Speaker 11: I am I'm taking to over Justin Herbert.
Speaker 2: I don't you don't believe that?
Speaker 4: You do?
Speaker 9: Believe?
Speaker 2: Not believe. Let's go around the room. Who believes that r G three is telling me the truth? Todd? Do you think he's telling the truth?
Speaker 5: I think he is.
Speaker 2: Oh, suck up appreciation, Tod. My god, see you think RG three is telling me the truth? I do? I believe he's telling you the truth? Yes, oh my god.
Speaker 10: Now the question, Dan, the better question is would they take to over Justin? Because I don't think a lot of people would I think. I think from watching the tape and watching the two guys play, if health is not an issue, because health is an issue for both of them, Let's be honest, well.
Speaker 2: Really an issue for two. It's really an issue for two.
Speaker 10: If you could guarantee that Tua never gets another concussion, I'm taking to Yeah, but I can't do that.
Speaker 2: That's part of what you take. Paulie, you want to call out RG three.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Robert was lying to you. His voice went up three octaves. I believe it. I believe it.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, yeah, Paulie used to work for the FBI giving light detector tests. Yeah, he's calling you out before I let you go. Whenever I read we not whenever, but a lot of times I'll read about Jaden Daniels and then there'll be the cautionary tale where they bring up you that you know you had this meteoric rise, you were Jaden Daniels before him. But is it fair to bring you up? Is it cautionary tale? Yes, playing for the same franchise of getting hurt or putting yourself at risk with the way you play.
Speaker 10: No, I don't think it's fair at all. I don't think it's fair to Jayden. I don't think it's fair to the commander's organization because there's this thing that I said in the off season. I got much maligned for about the Chicago Bears and how their structure wasn't conducive to a young quarterback being successful, and the caveat to that, or should I say the example off of that, was how well Washington was built. New head coach, new GM, new ownership, new offensive coordinator that knew how to utilize a mobile, duel threat, triple threat quarterback like Jayden Daniels, and veteran leadership on the team, bringing in Bobby Wagner, having Austin Eckler in the running back room, Brian Robinson being a bulldozing ram.
Speaker 11: Having Scary Terry at wide receiver. All of those.
Speaker 10: Things made Washington's situation so much better. And when you look at my situation when I came out as a rookie, I was with an owner in Dan Snyder and a head coach and Mike Shanahan who were feuding.
Speaker 11: I did not know that at the time.
Speaker 10: I was just a young twenty two year old kid, but there was not the uniformity throughout the organization that Washington has now. And that's why I always say organizations and NFL teams screw up more young quarterbacks than they.
Speaker 11: Actually helped succeed.
Speaker 10: But she got to hit it at the right time, and right now, Jayden Daniels in Washington hit it at the exact right time. They take care of him. They've removed the dark cloud from the organization. Everyone style though, Roberts, No, that's what I feel. I'm with you, But the style that his style of play and where you play and who you're playing with all matters. That's what I'm trying to say. Listen, I can't go back and have Heloly Nada not hit me in my knee against the Baltimore Ravens. I can't do that. There's no way for me to do that. I think you could have. I mean, he couldn't. He could have not hit me and.
Speaker 4: The way that he did.
Speaker 10: But that's a conversation for another time, Okay, and I could and I and Dan I could have done a much better job in my career of protecting myself.
Speaker 11: I think that's very well documented.
Speaker 10: I think what you'll see from Jadon Daniels if you watch the tape is that he has done a much better job protecting himself, getting down, sliding, avoiding some of those That the.
Speaker 2: Point I wanted, that's I wanted to make. I didn't think it was fair to keep bringing you into this because I do think he runs differently. He is protecting himself. There were times when you took on contact. But I'm watching Jaydan Daniels not going well, when's he gonna be RG three? Because I think you guys, while having similar traits, you're different quarterbacks and it's a different era, it's a different organization. So that's the only reason when I brought that up.
Speaker 10: By no, no, I, I I not rupt, Sorry, Bed, I'm saying that his style of play and how.
Speaker 11: He's utilized matters. Okay, this is this is about Jayden and Daniels.
Speaker 10: This is not about me, but all of those factors that went into why where I was playing and what was going on and.
Speaker 11: How I was utilized matter.
Speaker 10: Cliff Kingsbury is utilizing Jayden and Daniels better than I was utilized when I was a young quarterback, and I think that matters, and how they're doing it.
Speaker 2: And the field's in better shape for chating Davis. That's a good one.
Speaker 11: That's a good one.
Speaker 4: That's a good one.
Speaker 2: He's r G three. Check out his podcast out of Pocket with a with r G three on YouTube, wherever you get your podcast. Great to catch up with you.
Speaker 11: Thanks, appreciate your brother, God bless thank you man.