Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: Good morning, I'm John Tucker and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 3: And Karen, let's start with the latest on Iran. US and Iranian officials have agreed to more nuclear talks as soon as next week after the latest round of discussions in Geneva. And let's get the latest from Bloomberg Middle East correspondent Jimani Brasshi.
Speaker 4: Well, it was a long day of talks and the Bloomberg reporting this as well as other outlets that the US side were disappointed with some of the options that Iran had presented. That being said, at the end of the day, the mediator oman the foreign minister that are put out a statement saying that talks will reconvene again, and the Omani mediator also citing quotes significant progress, also echoes by the Iranian foreign ministry as well, that we haven't had formal comments come through from the US, but what we do understand from earlier on in the session is that they were I'll turnly please with what the Iranians had presented.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg's gew mount of Vesentchi says, unlike nuclear talks under prior US administrations, the Iranians have taken the lead in crafting written proposals and brought them to the Americans well.
Speaker 2: Staying overseas, John Pakistan's defense minister, declared quote open war with Afghanistan, and after both sides carried out cross border strikes overnight that killed a dozens, the clash marks a major escalation and tensions between the two neighbors. Relations between Pakistan and Afghanistan have steadily broken down in a year since the return of the Afghan Taliban in twenty twenty one, following the withdrawal of US led forces.
Speaker 3: And now to the latest on the Jeffrey Epstein scandal, Hillary Clinton has denied any association with a convicted sex offender. Under questioning from Congressional investigators, The former Secretary of State spoke to reporters after giving an hour's long deposition.
Speaker 5: I did not know Jeffrey Hepstein.
Speaker 2: I never went to his island, I never went to his homes, I never went to his offices.
Speaker 5: So it's on the record numerous times.
Speaker 3: Well today, her husband, former President Bill Clinton, has set to testify before the House Oversight Committee. Now Bloomberg's Amy Morris has more from Washington.
Speaker 5: Bill Clinton's testimony will be the first time a former president has been forced to testify before Congress. He appears in the Epstein files released by the Department of Justice, one of many names in politics, academia, and business who have appeared in those files, both before and after Epstein pleaded guilty in two thousand and eight to prostitution charges. The documents appear to show that Epstein's associate, Glainne Maxwell, was part of the Clinton's social and professional circle, including fundraisers at political donor events in Washington. Amy Morris Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: Right, Amy, thank you. Let's turn to the markets now. And Netflix has dropped out of the fight to buy Warner Brothers Discovery, clearing the way for rival Bitter Paramount to clinch a one hundred eleven billion dollar deal. The streaming giants said while its offer would have passed muster with regulators and created shareholder value, it didn't want to keep bidding. Lucas Shaw has been covering the takeover battle for Bloomberg.
Speaker 6: Warner brother Is board not really concerned about synergies. I think that if they could have chosen between the two buyers, they preferred Netflix. Netflix is a bigger, stronger, healthier company by paramount ultimately offered more money and a lot of Warner Brothers shareholders preferred Paramount because Paramounts buying the whole company, so they get bought out right now with cash, whereas the Netflix deal was more of a two step process where Warner Brothers was going to have to spin out its cable networks and then sell the rest of the company to Netflix.
Speaker 2: And as Bloomberg's Lucas Shaw shares a Netflix steps seven percent in early trading and.
Speaker 3: Karen several other stocks on the booth this morning shares a block. They're surging more than twenty three percent. Jack Dorsey's company is reducing its workforce by nearly half. They're cutting four thousand employees. The financial technology firm is betting that artificial intelligence is going to change the future of labor productivity.
Speaker 2: Well John Dells shares are up about twelve The company gave an outlook for sales of its artificial intelligence servers that topped estimates. Dell now says it will generate about fifty billion dollars in AI server revenue in the current fiscal year, and.
Speaker 3: On the flip side. You have shares of core Weave, They're down more than eleven percent. The company an operator of AI data centers, reporting a bigger than expected loss. It's also boosting capital expenditures.
Speaker 2: Well elsewhere in the AI space, John and Thropic is standing its ground when it comes to its artificial intelligence and Bloomberg's Monica Rix.
Speaker 7: Reports Anthropic has rejected the Pentagon's latest offer over the use of its artificial intelligence ahead of a deadline today for the company to drop its safeguards on its AI model or risk losing its government contracts. CEO Dario Amide says the company remains committed to negotiations and still wants to work with the US military, but can't in good conscience agree to the Pentagon's demands for AI use. He says new contract language falls short in preventing mass surveillance it's on Americans, or for the use of autonomous lethal strikes without a human in the loop. The Pentagon hasn't commented, Monica Ricks Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: You we have a programming note. The markets may pause for the weekend, but the world does not, and that's why we're bringing you a new live radio and TV show Bloomberg this weekend is looking beyond the daily headlines to the bigger themes driving politics, business and culture, joining David Gura, Christina Raffini, and Lisa Matteo for smart conversations and in depth interviews that help makes sense of the week that's been and what comes next. Tomorrow on the show, we'll hear from House Minority leader HOCKEYM Jeffries of New York, and get the show live Saturdays and Sundays from seven am Eastern on Bloomberg Radio TV and the Bloomberg Business App. Time now for look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world, and for that we're joined by Bloomberg's Michael Barr. Michael, Good Morning, Good Morning, Karen.
Speaker 8: In an unannounced visit, New York, Mayor Zorin Mumdane met President Donald Trump yesterday to urge him to release twenty one billion dollars in federal grants to build twelve thousand affordable housing units and infrastructure. During them Donnie's White House visit, a Columbia University student detained by Homeland Security agents was released after Ma'amdannie said he spoke with President Trump about the student. The school claims the ICE agents made misrepresentations to enter a housing unit to detain Elena Agayeva. Acting President of Columbia University Claires Shipment.
Speaker 1: We are also relieved that our student, Eliagayeva has been released from federal custody.
Speaker 8: Manhattan Borough President Brad Heulman Siegel says community members told him the agents presented themselves as police officers looking for a missing child.
Speaker 9: The level of deception is astounding, in addition to the fact that, of course they didn't have a warrant to arrest anyone.
Speaker 8: President Hoylman Segal says this should send a chill up the spine of every American State Department and White House officials say that at least one American citizen was killed and another was hurt in the deadly gun battle between Cuban border guards and a group on a boat off the Cuban coast. Ricardo Zunika was a senior diplomat at the State Department.
Speaker 10: It seems that Secretary of Rubio and the US government have decided that they need to continue to get information about this and they want to continue conversations with the Cuban authorities in the meantime to try to kind of move things forward and not be caught up in a single incident.
Speaker 8: Total of four people were killed and six others hurt in the incident an apparent mistake in the skies around El Paso, Texas, after a military laser was used to shoot down a drone being flown by Customs and Border Patrol. This is the second time in two weeks that has happened in the area. Used twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with Bloomberg News Now, I'm Michael Barn. This is Bloomberg Karen.
Speaker 2: Thanks Michael. Time now for our Bloomberg Sports update, and for that we bring in John Stashauer.
Speaker 11: Thanks Garren. Out of the scouting combine that's going on in Indianapolis. A trade in the NFL, A swamp of defensive lineman. The Jets sent Jermaine Johnson to Tennessee for devonre Sweat. Anthony Richardson was the Colts' fourth pick overall in the twenty twenty three draft. Hasn't worked out well for the quarterback, and now the Richardson and the Colts mutually agreeing to the quarterback to seek a trade. The eleventh straight win for San Antonio one twenty six to one ten in Brooklyn to the close loss of the Lakers beaten by Phoenix by three. That's to Bloomberg Sports Update.
Speaker 2: Stay with us more from Bloomberg day Break coming up after this.
Speaker 1: Coast to coast on Bloomberg Radio, nationwide on Sirius XM, and around the world on Bloomberg dot Com and the Bloomberg Business. This is Bloomberg Daybreak, and good morning.
Speaker 3: I'm John Tucker. Among some of the top stories we are pursuing for you this morning, US and Iranian officials agreeing to reconvene nuclear talks as soon as next week, and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton says she denied any association with Jeffrey Epstein during an hours long deposition before congressional investigators yesterday. Let's get more in these stories now. We're joined by Laura Davidson, the deputy Washington Beer chief for Bloomberg News. Happy Friday to you. With the respect to the Iran nuclear talks. I guess, Laura, at this point the progress depends on who you're talking to, because it seems like the US and the Iranian officials have a different degrees of the success so far of these talks.
Speaker 12: Yes, the US and the Iranians left the talks in Geneva sort of striking very different tones. The Iranians came out quite optimistic, saying that there was progress and quite upbeat that these talks would continue and are headed in a positive direction. US, on the other hand, came out kind of deflated. They seemed disappointed with the lack of progress and you know, did not at all take the optimistic tone that we heard from the Iranians. This, you know, it has been sort of a dichotomy that we've been seeing for some days now, but has just really grown stronger. And it was very apparent as these talks broke up clearly with no tangible details that came out moving forward.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 5: How firm is.
Speaker 3: The Trump deadline to come to agreement?
Speaker 12: Well, this is as firm as Trump wants it to be. This is a dead deadline. He you know, said last week thing he is giving around ten to fifteen days to make some sort of deal. There is no legal or otherwise forcing reason that he needs to enforce that deadline. But you know, Trump likes to set some of these arbitrary deadlines to try to force parties to come to the table. You know, the leverage he has is that he's continued to amass military assets in the region. You know, there have been some signs that he's perhaps getting more serious about some sort of limited strike, including his you know, remarks at the State of the Union the other night where he you know, said to know on certain terms that you know, he wants to find a diplomatic solution, but you know, could consider you know, some sort of military action.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 12: There's also just some headlines across the terminal here just about an hour ago that US embassy personnel, non essential personnel in Israel have been asked to leave the country. So this is you know, kind of some of the precursors that we have seen in the past before there have been strikes in the region.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's go to the testimony of Hillary Clinton yesterday, and I guess today we're going to hear from the former president Bill Clinton. What exactly are they looking for? Is this intended to be a political embarrassment or.
Speaker 2: Or what.
Speaker 12: If you ask Hillary Clinton, that is exactly what she said that this is you know, just sort of a you know, a hunt. They're trying to to put herself and her husband of the former president on you know, in this you know, not public it's behind closed doors, but sort of in this in person forum, to to just go on a hunt to see what they can find.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 12: Clinton, you know, came out of this deposition saying that she was asked you know everything uh, you know related to you know, including some very off topic things including about aliens, conspiracy theories, UFOs, and and was said she wasn't exactly certain what the point here was. Her husband, Bill Clinton, will go into this deposition today. He has you know, much closer ties to Jeffrey Epstein than Clinton did than Hillary Clinton did. She has maintained that she never met him, didn't know him, and certainly didn't know anything about his activities regarding underage women. Clinton, however, Bill Clinton has appeared in photos and in swimming pools with with jeffreypperstin Epstein and wrote on his plane several times as well.
Speaker 3: And the Democrats want for President Trump to appear. I suspect that's not going to happen. Good about the minute.
Speaker 12: Left, Uh, that is highly unlikely to happen. At least one Republicans control both chambers of the House. But this is the kind of thing and this is why Trump is very worried about the midterms. You know, if if Democrats do win the House or the Senate, they suddenly have subpoena power. Are they able to investigate more so, this is the kind of thing that we could see Democrats use their leverage going into the next year if they are able to secure a majority.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Daybreak, your morning podcast on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 3: Look for us on your podcast feed by six am Eastern each morning, on the Apple, Spotify, or anywhere else you listen.
Speaker 2: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg in ninety nine to one in Washington, Bloomberg ninety two nine in Boston, and nationwide on serious XM Channel one twenty one.
Speaker 8: Plus.
Speaker 3: Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app now with Apple CarPlay and Android auto interfaces.
Speaker 2: And don't forget to subscribe to Bloomberg News Now. It's the latest news whenever you want it in five minutes or less. Search Bloomberg News Now on your favorite podcast platform to stay informed all day long. I'm Karen Moscow, I'm John Tucker.
Speaker 3: Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day, right here on Bloomberg day Break