Speaker 1: Forty.
Speaker 2: Hey, this is Kyle Stowers and you're listening to Fish On First.
Speaker 3: Welcome into Fish On First Live, part of the Foul Territory Network Jam Packed show for you. Today, we got Nate Carsmer, Eli Sussman, Kevin Brawl, Isaac Azu, Jeremiah Geiger Here. Marlins continue to be the hottest team in baseball during the month of June sixteen and five. This month, they've now established themselves as possible contenders in the National League Wildcard race, sitting at forty two and thirty nine heading into this weekend and off day today, of course, but a fantastic month of baseball. We're gonna recap this past series against the Texas Rangers. The Marlins won two out of three. But guys, I think it's important to start off with the breaking news that happened I'd say about twenty thirty minutes ago. Connor Norby has been officially optioned to Triple A Jacksonville. I gotta say it was an unexpected move on on my end, I didn't expect the team to do it, but I agree with the move one hundred percent. He just was not cutting it at the major league level. The stats were just bad, flat out bad, to be honest, hitting just above two hundred two oh five and on base percentage of three thirteen six thirty eight ops. And although he made some decent plays at first base, the lack of hitting was not enough to justify keeping him in the lineup on a routine or on a regular basis. So he gets to Jacksonville. We're gonna see what the corresponding move is. But nate your thoughts initially when you saw the news.
Speaker 4: I wasn't necessarily surprised as you were, just but the what we've seen from in production wise, I mean since the beginning to May, he's hitting one eighty seven ops in around five hundred. So it is unfortunate after those you know, steadies starting had to begin the year, and he was actually walking a good amount, striking out less and using some of the opposite field power. But it is unfortunate. But it's kind of just in line with what we've seen from the Marlins front office this here that if you aren't producing at the big league level, doesn't matter your prospect, pediory or how much you've contributed a year ago. Look at a dollar obviously your mirrez h they'll send you want to get you right. So hopefully this does end up working for Connor in his favor. It is unfortunate. It feels like the past couple of weeks sitting back to that met series in Queens and he was hitting a lot of balls to the warning track just we're not getting out. So maybe someone luckiness going on there. But you know, also at first base, we saw it was at the first game in Texas. He didn't you crashed on the bun which hurt them Rowans and messed up that I just played first, you know, pop out of his gloves. So it is tough. I wonder who're going to bring up to replace him. I mean, I feel like Grant Pauly would make sense, but I don't know if they wanted to have left you on that bench. And I mean I would say Autiste your mirrors if they let him play first that wouldn't work either. We know Audis your mirrors to not play third base unfortunately. So it'll be interesting to what they do in terms of who they bring up from Jacksonville. But it's unfortunate. But at the end of the day, hopefully it will be good for Connor and then he can get his confidence back with some guys like dust down there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Nate took the words out of my mouth.
Speaker 2: I think that play at first base where it was just a complete I don't want to see boneheaded, but a lack of awareness there where obviously the bus going to the third base side you got to cover first, and he sort of looked at Xager Edwards as if X should have been covering first base, and he obviously had to cover second as there was first and second nobody out. So I think that along with it just the inbysmal offensive production. When you look at his WRC plus it's eighty two. I thought it was gonna be in the sixties. It's honestly surprising that it's that high. You think that when you double you your walk rate, you'd be performing a lot better offensively, but in fact he's just been worse than it was last year. Pretty much every statistic possible, and like Nate said, a trip down did wonders for Eddie Berto Hernandez. Hopefully it's the same for this guy who who's got a sweet swing. I think he can get a little bit stronger. I think he needs a little bit more power if he's going to hit the way he does. He's best when he's going to the opposite field. He just haven't seen many of those inside out swings at all this year, so U a trip to Jacksonville never does much harm.
Speaker 1: It's just not surprising.
Speaker 2: Like Nate said, but you sort of wow, Yeah, this was If you told us this in twenty twenty four, you'd be shell shocked.
Speaker 5: If you told us this like two months ago, would have been shocking. It would reminder how long this season is, because wasn't he one of the bright spots of his Marlins seen in the first few weeks of the season, and then we had him on unfiltered like in eight late April and ever since.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that kind of jinks him.
Speaker 5: He has one home run one home run in the last two full months combined. I just looked it up, hitting like one eighty during that time. That's a two months, man, it's been he's you know, he's his struggles have flown under the radar just because he wasn't as bad as Christopher Moreld. He wasn't as bad offensively as Jimenez over these past few couple months too. And the timing is just a little bit interesting because I was thinking more about this being a decision once Liam Hicks returns from his injury, that's an option, of course, to play a lot of first base like they wouldn't. That would make a Norby kind of redundant at that point. And with Jimenez, if you're interested in the choice between Norby and Leo Jimenez, who is overall not necessarily a better player than Norby at all, but he is out of options. And for the Marlins to ensure one hundred percent that he Menez, you know, stays in the organization and Norby has these options remaining, I think that absolutely was a factor in this decision as well.
Speaker 3: Do you guys think that Norby is I mean, I mean it's hard for me to just see Norby as some sort of franchise player, a player that's gonna last on the Marlins for even next season. I mean, he's gotten progressively worse from his initial call up when they traded with the Baltimore Orioles.
Speaker 6: He looked pretty good.
Speaker 3: I thought he was going to be a part of this core, and it feels like there's other guys that have simply just surpassed him in terms of the pecking order, and so yeah, I agree with Isaac. Hopefully this triple A stint helps him because Hernandez looks phenomenal since he came back. I mean, he's an absolute power threat and deserves more playing time. But with Norby, it's just the I question the tools. I question, like, really what tools is he? Is he good at? I agree he power maybe is, but it's limited. Like with Hernandez, I genuinely feel there's twenty home run power in the bat. But the other player I think we need to talk about, and you mentioned him Eli was Leo Jimenez because there's gonna be a lot of people that are are saying why.
Speaker 6: Is Jmenez still on this roster?
Speaker 3: So Kevin, when it comes to Leo Jamenez, do you think this is a play that's going to continue to be on the Marlins for the foreseeable future because he's out of options?
Speaker 6: When do they cut ties with him?
Speaker 7: Honestly, the first thing that went through my mind when they when I saw the roster move with Norby was how the hell is Leo Jimenez still on? Herover Norby? Because it's either you choose one bad player or the other. I would have rather had Norby still around because at least he provides you some value at first base. When Leo, as much as people want to say he's more of a glove first guy, he just isn't. He's actually been terrible defensively grading when you looked at the Great the Savanna and Baseball Reference, it's not been good at third and he's hit even less than normy. At least Norby you could count on like every once in a while knocking in a couple of hits. Leo Humena is like you, it's an automatic out. I hate to say it like that, but it was just bad at bats yesterday didn't length. No, it just wasn't good. But yeah, no, Leo Jimenez, I don't know. I mean right now, to be totally honest with you, is or even a better option at third base? Dan Leohemanez like not really son Noha, but he's not an everyday guy, Paul. They already went through that. Jacob Barry can't play third base and he isn't hitting right now in Triple A. There really isn't an option. So you're just gonna have to keep riding this guy out until they figure it out. And you know, we're if we if we end the talking trade deadline at some point, that's a big need for the Marlins, regardless of like how bad he could be defensively. If you could find someone that actually actually hit at the position, that's great because the Marlins right now have the worst third base production in baseball p WRC plus. It's at forty three forty three WRC plus combined amongst all morns third basements who've actually played the position this year, So they they if they plan on winning, that position needs to be filled before starting, pitcher, before reliever, before whatever. Maybe that's that's what they need. And I think the Norby thing really quick just kind of it felt like it was coming. He was playing a lot less. Stowers is playing more first base Conan's return, I was assume he's gonna play a little bit more first. Liam Hicks is gonna come back soon enough, He's gonna play a lot more first. I'm just curious to see who they actually end up bringing back for it it's worth. And I know we said we already went through the Poly situation, but he's actually been hitting pretty well at Triple A for the last month. If they they are to call someone up, it would be him who also provides you some value defensively as well with the glove. But I wouldn't be shocked if it's like Davison or I don't know, or Kemp, if they want to be splashy and bring some power to the lineup. I think in all likelihood it just ends up being Grand Polly and we'll move on.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I could smell a Paulli Leo Jimenez platoon at third base from a mile away. Kevin mentioned the forty three worc pust from third base, and that is exactly what Leo jimen Is is producing by himself.
Speaker 1: So that just you know, shows.
Speaker 2: How poorly there they're what horrible production they're getting from third base.
Speaker 1: And remember this is not just any position, it's third base.
Speaker 2: You're supposed to be getting a lot of offensive production from that position.
Speaker 1: So it's tough to see Leo has no options left.
Speaker 2: So you know, I never thought they were going to send him down or cut ties with their designate him for assignment quite yet. I think there's a there's an avenue here where you could be on the team for a few more months here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, A very quick overview for those watching on YouTube of the forty man roster situation with Norby sent down, Zach Bricksey sent down as well in advance of Max Meyer returning from the berievement list. So yeah, there's that question mark about who feels that last spot on the position player side prior to the series opener, the options on the forty man roster. I mean, Davison is on there as well. They've called him up twice already this season, even with very limited playing time in those situations among other healthy options. Reyes Hines, he's been he hasn't really been hitting a whole lot as of late, but he's on the forty man in the organization by a month. Grand Polly, as you guys have mentioned, would be the most obvious one, you know, who's actually been hitting a lot better as the season has gone on. Jared Serna, Forget Jared. He got off to an awful start, awful all of twenty twenty five. I don't think this is his time right now. Just something to keep a radar on in part time act in triple as.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's part time action.
Speaker 7: The one guy I do want to make he's not a forty man guy. Actually, you know they won't do it, but it's a super super long shot, and I've been writing about him on the minor league recaps. Gage Miller is raking boys and he could play some third base. The way he hit this year is actually really impressive. I thought, maybe this is a guy who comes in next year as an NRI competes for a spot. But damn, these guys are so desperate for they need a third baseman that could actually hit. He's the only one who's hitting in triple A. It would be a splashy move. It would be not splashy, but it would be one of those long shot moves that nobody thinks could happen. But Gage Miller would be a guy who I would love to see up and give him a shot. He's out. He's twenty three years old. Was the third round picking that twenty four draft, I believe it was, or yeah, the twenty four draft. Why not right, it would be the first guy from the twenty four draft. It would be like a long shot call up option, but I like it. He's raking a triple A. He looks very comfortable there. He's played almost second base, but he did get drafted out as a third baseman, and he has played the position in the minors this season, so it's not like it's a completely new thing for him, and maybe he could provide some volume more there defensively.
Speaker 2: That would be pretty flush. I agree, that would be fun. That would be fun.
Speaker 3: Let's move on to talk about the Texas Rangers series, but first we have this quick break.
Speaker 8: You know why you're enjoying this minute because we're happy, Krats. We're happy because we're wearing Mac Weldon.
Speaker 9: Yes, I'm six foot five and nobody can give me tall clothing, but mack Weldon allows me to have it, so I don't really have to care about how I look, and I still look good Because I don't put a lot of time into what I do to put pick out my clothes. Mack Weldon takes care of it for me.
Speaker 8: Classic always In style made from the world's most comfortable performance materials. Summer gets sweaty, don't let unnecessary sweat spots emerge. Mac well Then's air Knit X fabric helps you out. Their lightest fabric is fused with nylon mesh for maximum airflow. Skip the midday wardrobe changes. The barely there feel also keeps you feeling more dry and fresh. Don't sweat the heat this summer. Feel as effortlessly cool.
Speaker 1: As you look.
Speaker 8: With Mackweldon, go to Mackweldon dot com and get twenty percent off your first order of one hundred and twenty five bucks or more with promo code foul. That's m a ck w E L d o N dot com.
Speaker 1: Code foul.
Speaker 3: As always reverse order recapping each and every game of the series. So this one of the Marlins dropped the first game, but won the last two very close games. I mean two run win, two run win, and then a one run loss. Could have had the sweep. That first game was really frustrating. But yesterday we saw the return of Uri Perez, well ahead of schedule. It was great to see him back on the mound and the control was there, which I like to see. Anytime a pitcher comes back from an injury, it tends to the control issues tend.
Speaker 6: To flare up there.
Speaker 3: It wasn't there for Yuri through a lot of strikes four and two thirds. We wanted to finish that fifth inning, but was pulled right at sixty eight pitches. Gave up just one run. Marlin's end up winning. Pete Fairbanks gets a save. How what's your takeaways from URI's return off of injury other than it's just great that he's healthy again.
Speaker 7: Yeah, great, Ury looked good. Didn't walk another guy, didn't walk anyone one, strikeout fine. Honestly, as much as I would love to talk about that last game, we need to talk about Sandy what Sam Oh, Yeah, nothing short of impressive, awesome for him. And there's a lot that we could dive into in this one topic, because a lot went down in this one topic. Sandy, now the strikeout, has the most strikeouts in franchise history. He passes Ricky and Alaska. Believe the numbers now one thousand and two. He also has the most wins at Lone Deepot Park with thirties for passing Jose Fernandez. Shout out to Sandy, stud Cabayo, whatever you want to call it. Got off to a slow start for him, a high pitch count very early on. We saw that in the Phillies start too, so good for him to kind of, you know, settle down, and Clayton clearly, you know, wanted to let this guy go out there and do it, because he got He went on in the seventh with almost one hundred pitches, so it was great to see that. I'm gonna go to Isaac because I definitely want to talk about this. That the moment that Sandy ties it. Nothing is done at the ballpark, not recognized, not mentioned, not said, no tweet, Nothing tweets only come out from media. Then Sandy gets the record, and I want to say I was there as a fan. I want to say. They took about like twenty thirty seconds until they actually flashed the graphic. Sandy kept looking back, kept looking back. Joe Mack stepped off the ump. Was actually pretty good about it too, and kind of tried to see if they could give him the moment nothing happened. I couldn't believe it. The fans clearly knew what happened. They were immediately changing Sandy, you know, clapping. It seemed like the marketing team just had no clue what to do, as they had no clue this happened. I definitely want to get your guys' take on this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, First, the baseball part, Like Kevin mentioned, Sandy was laboring through those first two He was at forty pitches.
Speaker 10: Through to so I thought with zero strikeouts, it was very unlikely that.
Speaker 2: He was going to get this milestone at home, and fortunately he really just settled in starting by striking in an eleven pitch battle with Brandon Nimmo striking him out. Who I thought, you know, before the game, I'm looking at guys that he might strike out a couple of times. Nimmo was someone that did not think he was gonna get once. He's a tough guy to strike out. Got him twice, and like Kevin mentioned, ENSI the following inning with two in a row to make him tie, to tie him with Ricky with one thousand and one career strikeouts as the Marlin, and you're right, there was not a single mention on the scoreboard, which was just a perfect opportunity the inning. The strikeout to ty Ricky was to end the inning.
Speaker 10: It was a perfect opportunity to let every fan in the citium know that, hey, he has tied Ricky, so you don't even have to put an alert for the next one. But he didn't do it that In said, it went straight to fake slots like.
Speaker 2: They usually do in the end of the fifth and then before and after the sixth inning were he didn't strike out anyone.
Speaker 1: He was at about ninety.
Speaker 2: One pitches I want to say, so it was likely that he was going to go out for the seventh regardless, didn't get the first guy, second guy strikes out, Kyli got Shioko with a slider, and yeah, like Kevin said, it was a very it was an awkward moment that I don't want that to overpower what a surreal, monumental moment this was for Sandy. I think that's more important. But yeah, we can talk about that a little bit later. But just looking back at the trade made in twenty eighteen, just two months after Bruce Sherman buys the team, that trade was made for Marcelo Zuna to get Magnar Sierra, Dan Costadno, Zach Gallant and Sandy And like I wrote in my story here, if they got if Michael Hill knew that Sandy would become half of what he's become, he would be ecstatic.
Speaker 1: So just to see the trajectory.
Speaker 2: In the growth of this young man, this young flamethrower from the Dominican Republic turned into a sayan Award winner and cumulate the many strikeouts, but he's not really a strikeout picture. Breaking Alaska is much more of a strikeout picture than Sandy is it's just awesome to see him. Let I was there in the in the prespect for that moment, and yeah, there you go. The scoreboard malfunction. It wasn't a malfunction from what I understand, there was just it was confusion on what to do and when to do it. And it's unfortunate, as Tommy Hunt said, little things like that mean a lot. And you know what, that doesn't happen in City Field, that does not happen in the Oracle Park, that does not happened in Fentway Park, And who knows the next time we're gonna have a dipig of a moment again in that ballpark.
Speaker 1: But they had it and they blew it.
Speaker 5: Yeah a click note on, like when that moment's going to come again. No, Alasko held the record for almost fifteen years, he said it originally in twenty eleven. I put this briefly on the site in only surpassed just now with Sandy. The only reason why he surpassed it, given especially his pitching style as you mentioned, is because he signed.
Speaker 6: An extension with the team.
Speaker 5: He would have been a free agent two years ago if not for that, so we would have been gone coming off with Tommy John surgery before even making his return from that. Nobody's going to break that record unless they sign another extension with the team. Unless somebody else spends more years than is currently prescribed based on their team controlled their pre arb and arbitration years, that.
Speaker 6: Record is safe.
Speaker 5: But really the only threat right now on the horizon would be Yuri, and Yury is seven hundred behind him something like that. So and even with him, I think he'll need to get unless these times an extension with the team, which is possible at some point, Sandy's gonna hold that record in several others for a very long time.
Speaker 7: Isaac, the slots don't make you excited. Deal or don't. No deal doesn't make it excited.
Speaker 2: Come on, man, I've made my comments about the in game presentation well documented. I can't say anything more or I get in trouble.
Speaker 4: But they can do. They can do as many deal or no deal as you want. When the guy that's number is going to be retired in center field, and there's no he should be. He is the most this franchise, it should be up there no matter what, and then it's a perfect moment for quite you know, outlets like John Boy when playing's asking the crowd to get loud. When the greatest picture in franchise history just breaks a record, it's a perfect storm, like you're gonna get set up, You're gonna get made fun of it. Unfortunately, that has been, you know, getting more light on. It's been more light online than Sandy breaking that record. And then you have Sandy walking around the mound, super awkward. No one knows what's going on. I watched it back and I'm like, the only word I had Unfortunately, it was just it was a little embarrassing that that guy has given so much this organization and you had a whole inning at the very least to be like, okay, if you strikes out of grash Joga, there it is, put it up on the scoreboard, and that's happen.
Speaker 7: And the worst part about the whole thing is that if you walked into that stadium that day, you wouldn't know what was going on. No, you wouldn't know that this guy was about to do something that that hasn't been done for fifteen years. You wouldn't have known. You wouldn't have known. The day before they promoted the Tartan Army, they ways, the ticket packages. They do a whole rundown of the ticket packages, pregame. But Na Sandy, Yeah, he's just there. He's pitching al Cabayo. Let's go.
Speaker 1: Let's do that.
Speaker 7: Nobody would have known. Nobody would have known. I think more people would have shown up to see it. Honestly, regardless of what day it was. There should have been a better job to promote this. They promote all this stuff, the ticket packages, the Tartan Army, the Flann against Fest, all the in game bullshit, no offense, and then you don't promote the one guy who matters to this organization.
Speaker 4: They had notice to promote the Tartan Army. They had a bunch of plaid whatever on the end, the draphic on the inter they had over a week players in the history of this franchise is about to break the all time strikeouts record, and there's not a word.
Speaker 2: And and with the what went wrong in the inning is that it's not like it was a surprise.
Speaker 1: It was going to happen that day, and it's very easiest. Okay, if this happens in the middle of an inning, let's do this. If this happens to end the inning, let's do this. They were.
Speaker 2: It's just and like Kevin said, like I mentioned somewhere else, guys like you could have been so come out to Lone Deepot Park and watch Sandy Etch's name in Marlin's history. But nothing not of the word. And then Tommy Hunt's getting mad that all the fans don't know. Yeah, some fans should know, but you know, there's a bunch of old people and then they don't know shit. There's a bunch of young kids in there that don't know shit. You can't expect the fans to just know that when there's zero mention of it. I believe Jerey Tesha mentioned it one time before the game started that Sandy has what no one's listening because the acoustics in their stink.
Speaker 1: It's just a bad bad.
Speaker 7: I look at you know, I look at the rays. I went to Tampa for that series. Every single game that series, they will run you down through everything you need to know about the game, not about the promos, not about the end game, games that are gonna happen, about the games, about the game, who's in the lineup, what's going on, who's on a hit streak? If there's gonna be a record broken. They even walk you through the other team. They tell you what the other team did the day before. They like, it's not that hard, it's not that hard to do that. It takes you all but ten minutes to do it before the game. I don't get it. I don't get it. I you know, I enjoy going to the games because I love baseball. I could care less about what they do with the in game promotion because it doesn't affect me in my life, and I sleep the same way I do each night regardless of they play slaughter deal or no deal. But I think for the fans that don't know baseball that much and want to go check out a game, that's not the way to do it. They had an opportunity here, a clear opportunity and awesome opportunity, and they messed it up. Oh and worth noting they made one tribute video for both Jake Berger and Skip Schumacher, the same exact tribute video it was. It was one It's not that hard to do one one day and one to the next. I understand that things didn't end the way people wanted to with Skip, but the guy took you to the playoffs for the first time in twenty years, in a full season. It could have been better. And he was a man too.
Speaker 4: It doesn't matter. No universe should skip and berger. The guys who have had incredible, incredible impacts on the twenty three team have the same length tribute video as Monte Harrison does. There's so many.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did get a big one that was the same leg.
Speaker 4: Over in the playoffs. That's different. Manta Harrison made one sliding.
Speaker 6: Chuch has got a tribute video.
Speaker 7: He got a big tribute video.
Speaker 3: Wow, Yeah, that's something, man. Because when here's my thoughts with Sandy real quick before we continue to move on this, I agree with you guys because this was a game he pitched into the seventh inning and finished with four strikeouts. Like the organization probably knew it was very likely to happen. But this, for me, it's about Sandy, you know, and and him getting his flowers because this is a player. As Marlins fans, we're used to turnover. We're used to the jokes. You know, we're a feeder team. You guys just keep trading, that's all. That's all I've heard my whole life is you're a fan of a team that trades away their best players for prospects, and it's a never cycle. Sandy wants to be in Miami. He wanted to be in Miami. He signed a contract extension and took a team friendly deal.
Speaker 6: He's seen multiple rebills.
Speaker 3: I mean, this guy has pitched, He's gone through Tommy John surgery. He went through last year at the trade deadline, and everybody thought he was going to be gone. And I would be willing to bet he thought he was going to be traded, and he was grateful and happy to stay. And he breaks the record at Loan Depot Park, a park he loves to play in.
Speaker 6: That's his home baseball park. I love that fact.
Speaker 3: That's, you know, you always want to do it at your home stadium, not on the road, Especially for a guy like Sandy that has pitched year after year and seen so much turnover, I mean front office changes, managerial changes, roster turnover. Sandy is the constant. And he did it in a game in which they won. They got the victory, and the Marlins are in position now with Sandy Alcontra where he is in his career and we'll talk about this later on, is they can make a run at the postseason and give Sandy a chance to pitch in meaningful baseball in September, in October. Remember in that twenty twenty three season, Sandy didn't pitch down the stretch. He got hurt, you know, and he didn't pitch in the playoffs. And I'm sure that's always bugged him, and that's always rubbed him the wrong way. Is because he's a competitor. He wants to be out there, he wants to be pitching in these in these moments. And so with the Marlins playing as good baseball as they are right now, I can't help but think of Sandy pitching in September, pitching in October, and you know, and when it really matters, because he's pitched a ton for this organization. He's pitched a ton, but how many games have truly mattered in the grand scheme of things. Now they do, and it's great to see him break the record. And let's continue to see this team compete. That's what it's about moving forward. I got a touch on Auto Lopez Eli the guy continues to hit. I know we've talked about the All Star Case, but a big home run in yesterday's Mattiney, what is there left to say about Auto Lopez. Is he the franchise guy? I believe he is. Your thoughts on him, it just we got.
Speaker 6: To talk about it.
Speaker 5: He were halfway through the season. He's on pace for a seven war season by fangrass. I mean, that is on the short list of if he maintains this, of the best Marlin seasons ever for any player.
Speaker 6: Is an all round guy.
Speaker 5: I was just preparing an article on this for tomorrow, just about the fact that he's leading the majors and hitting. How often do guys that lead the majors and hitting halfway through the season actually win the batting title, And it's almost like a coin flip between whether they hold on or not. That's the power is fine, and the power is pretty much right in line with what it was last year. As you mentioned the home run and that being his longest home run by distance so far this year. The fact that he's improved the way that he has just was so many more finding so many more hits than he had even the year ago, continues to astound me. Overall. The consistency of something we always harp on having hits in every single series this year, like it's one thing just to play in every single series this year due to durability, and for him to not only do that but contribute in some way every single time every few days, it is, Yeah, we got to appreciate it for people that you're just looking back in the past few years. For as much as people appreciated Luisa Rise during his one full season here, Jazz Chism during his several full years, like this is a player that as an overall player, he's better than them. He's because he's doing it as a full time shorts up and as a good defensive shortstop at that and in addition to the fact that it's a little bit more power just as an overall player, it's checking all these boxes.
Speaker 6: And I thought it was going to.
Speaker 5: Fade a little bit quicker than it has. There's gonna be some regression coming. I don't think he's going to be a seven win player this year by fangrass Win's above replacement. But this has been absolutely fantastic, and it's he's made himself a lot of money in the future. I don't want to look too far ahead when it comes to that. By just saying that guys that have this kind of season in their career. A guy that I don't think people really circle as an extension candidate last off seasons, Beyonnest. There are other people that were more top of minds. And for somebody that was just a waiverclaim a couple of years ago, he with this half season alone, he's really dramatically like changed his entire career trajectory. So blah blah, LUs, you just got to be really happy for the guy to have done that. Yeah, let's happen to another ad break now as we get deeper into this show, we'll go to our friends at Mint Mobile Crats.
Speaker 8: Mint Mobile plans still just fifteen bucks a month, and.
Speaker 9: You're getting a ton from that fifteen dollars.
Speaker 8: That's right, And we've talked about this for a while. It hasn't changed. It's still all there for you. I'm talking about unlimited talk, text and data, fast, reliable coverage on the nation's largest five G network, oh and an award winning care team. Mint Mobile has it all fifteen bucks a month. You can even bring your current phone and your number. Choose from three, six, or twelve month plans. Say goodbye to a monthly bill. Ditch overpriced wireless with Mint Mobile. To get your new wireless plan for just fifteen bucks a month, go to mintmobile dot com slash territory. That's mintmobile dot com slash territory. Cut your wireless bill to fifteen bucks a month at mintmobile dot com slash Territory. Forty five dollars upfront payment required equivalent to fifteen bucks a month. New customers on first three month plan only. Speed slower above forty gigabytes on unlimited plan. Additional taxes, fees, and restrictions apply. See mintmobile for details.
Speaker 6: Forty two and thirty nine.
Speaker 3: That's the Marlins record as they head into Saint Louis for a weekend series. We're gonna preview that later on, but I do want to talk about these standings right in front of in front of us. If you're watching on YouTube, you see the Marlins are a game and a half out of the third and final wildcard spot. Now, it's important to note this that Saint Louis Cardinals team in the middle comfortably above five hundred. They are six games over at this point. They're not supposed to be here. The Cardinals were not supposed to compete. The Cubs were, of course, the Phillies were. But if you look at these teams in this graphic year the Nationals Cup two and a half out, they were expected to be bad. The Pirates have played good baseball. Why not the Marlins. That's what I say, as the Marlins have really made me believe again because I started to count this team out once they got seven eight games under five hundred.
Speaker 6: It wasn't looking good now. As Kevin noted earlier, this team has holes, especially at third base.
Speaker 3: And I do believe that if the Marlins end up in a wild card, put in a wild card position at the end of the year, it will be because they made moves at the deadline. So I want to get your guys' thoughts early. I know were a month away, but it's still it's exciting, it's baseball. It's fun to talk about. Where do you stand regarding the Marlins and how they hand their prospects and how they handle acquiring major league ready talent to help this team right now, not just down the future. I'm gonna start with Isaac.
Speaker 1: Sorry about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that if this question was being at let's say that the Miami is a game and a half like they are right now a third wildcard spot, and there were three teams ahead between them and the third spot.
Speaker 1: I don't think you see them being that aggressive. But the fact that there is.
Speaker 2: Only that one team in San Diego that is between them and the Cubs, they might still be a little bit hesitant.
Speaker 1: But I think that if you're in this situation in mid July to late July, you have to be aggressive.
Speaker 2: Now does that mean trading Thomas White for two months of Aboheno Suarez, No, of course not. However, I do think that Miami has some pretty attractive options that they could make available or dangle in front of some teams that are sort of where we thought Miami would be, like where Pitt's for Washington Cincinnati is.
Speaker 1: Maybe you can buy some of those assets, those win now assets that they have.
Speaker 2: Look that David Peterson's already traded, has a self begun in Queen's already. Maybe they have some options that Miami could use. So I'm not quite sure where they're gonna get that third base option. We know Matt Chapman has been mentioned it might be whove the Marlins to add a little bit of payroll right now, not sure, I don't I just don't see that happening.
Speaker 1: Miami would have.
Speaker 2: To add a lot more prospect capital in order to get them to pay off the remaining of his contract.
Speaker 1: So it is early.
Speaker 2: It's tough to see because it's just such a competitive National league. If this was the American League, we having a totally different discussion. But in the National League, there's so many teams that are being mid just like the Marlins, that I don't know how aggressive Peter Bennix wants to be. And that's me saying that, right like, as someone that's a fan that has no vested interest in this, I'm sure they're gonna be a lot more disciplined than I would be. And I want to be sort of a little bit disciplined here because I'm not sure this is the year to do it. So that just worries me that Peter benn is even being more disciplined than I would be, because it's it's tough. It's not an easy call here, but I would be shocked if they're in this position and they don't unload at least a couple of future prospects for some win out moments, not just two months of rentals, but maybe some guys with cloat control controllable.
Speaker 6: Kevin, your thoughts.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they're in a very weird spot where I do think some teams are now kind of beginning to fall flat or begin this, you know, fall down like the Gnats Pirates, kind of beginning to lose a little bit. So we'll see what happens there. Marlins are in a really good spot. And that's why I really think this is a huge series because you're going up against the team that number two wild card. I don't know. I believe they already played the Cardinals ones. I don't know exactly how that serious ended up working out for them, if they took the Serious or not. But at the end of the year, you look at how all these tiebreakers and all that stuff ends up working out, and we're talking about that in twenty three in the Marls. That's how they kind of ended up with the second wildcard spot because of some tiebreakers and they ended up winning one more game or something. But yeah, I'm very curious as to how they attack this. On the prospect side. We you know, we can talk about all the names that the Martins could acquire. Chapman Perettis, who knows, right, dude, No, but I really am curious to see how they do this from a prospect perspective. Clearly, Thomas White's not getting moved, that's to begin He's hurt, not really gonna happen, Not for Suarez, Sorry, Joe.
Speaker 3: Just crazy dude, And it was on my show That's the best fun two months.
Speaker 2: The Marlins were worse than they are now at this point last year, and this guy really said Frey Thomas White for two months.
Speaker 1: As far as it's just.
Speaker 7: I look at our at our top thirty, White smelling to Frank Lewis, Caaba, and Arquette all unfutchable from our current list from one through six, I think it's on touchable Kemp, Kemp probably untouchable.
Speaker 6: No, No, I'd move, I could move Camp.
Speaker 7: I don't ever want it. Just depends how they feel about the guys really quickly. Something I think it is worth noting though with Matt Chapman is that he does have a full note trade clause, so he would have to approve a trade to Miami. So it doesn't make it even tougher to acquire a guy like that, which is why I look at and I'll throw the name out. He's sat Petties of the of the Astros. He's on a one year deal. He has a team option for next season, so the Marlins decide, hey, that's it only this year. You decline the option, just like you could do with Sandy if you wish to do that, and he becomes a free agent and he's off for payroll. Uh. He's a right handed hitter, so obviously I believe helped against the lefties. He plays the position fine, clearly a huge help for the Marlins offensively. It's a bigger a big bat in the order there that you could add with some power. But if the Marlins are like in this current spot in a month or towards the end of July, I think you have to buy, like not full on buy, but you have to add at least a third baseman and a starting pitcher. I'm just more curious about how they attack this from a prospect perspective. How many guys are they willing to unload? And obviously I said that one through six in our top thirty, but that's gonna include Carson No Brant real soon. That's another guy I really wouldn't like to move. Although if it's a good offer, you have to consider. You have to consider everything on the table during a trade deadline.
Speaker 2: And remember these players not only prospects, there are assets, right.
Speaker 1: You want to sell high on a lot of these guys. It's importantly you know, that's the whole. That's a secret formula, right.
Speaker 2: You want to if you're looking at two guys that you could really sell high on, Carson milbrien is one of them. Cam Canerello is another. Did we think going into the season that those two are blue chip guys?
Speaker 10: No?
Speaker 2: I think you circle those two names if they were get aggressive. This is all such mors hockey to talk about right now. But if they were let's say ten games over five hundred come late July and you want to get that big missing piece, those are two names that would circle.
Speaker 4: But I think that's an interesting rinkle, right because this is now year three of this you know manager they've had and then we haven't seen them by Yeah, we know when it comes to selling that they have no issue doing some of their best guys and you know, get great prospects in return. But we have not seen this this front office deal anyone that has played a big role to major league level or acquire someone that has been this ar of the major league level, so it'll be very interesting, which makes me think that Ben Mitch will be super resident this year. I feel like this is not like guys have said, this is not the year where they're going to go really all out. If it come, if someone comes to them for someone that they feel like, you know, a deal would make sense and it really pluge a position to need light third or another rotation piece, I could see it. But I think at this point and it'll be interesting because I don't know, we're I think everyone here is in the dark about how lenient they are to give away some of their top guys. Who knows if mill Brandt's you know, available to deal or not. Who knows how high they are on him or a guy like Cam Kinderella that matter. We don't know anything, so it'll be interesting. But I think if they are in the hunt at this time right now, probably a guy that's around, you know, not like a four A player like that, but someone that is maybe teetering that can help him out. Like you said, I God, that's control this year and in the future to position of need and real quick.
Speaker 7: We aren't talking about the possibility of that. Hey, they do exactly what they did last year. They trade a guy or two and they call it a day. They call up a couple guys from Triple A. They think those guys could contribute. Now, they keep doing what they're doing. That is a very possible chance. In fact, I think that's the most likely chance of it. They just stay. They make a deal or two trade who knows Bender and John King, who are probably your two best relievers right now, and that's it. You call it a deadline, you call it Josh White, You call up I don't know, Jack Rawlson, who's having a really good year we think could help you out right now, and that's it, and you get to a couple more prospects. I'm just extremely like, like they aint said this, this front office is not bought yet. They didn't buy. What they love to do is pick up these guys off waivers. So maybe that's another way that they could do it. And there's always guys off waivers at after the deadline because you have to make roster moves. Maybe that's something that they would consider. I highly doubt they do that, though, if they believe this team could compete now at least, you know, right now, in terms of, hey, let's make a push for it like we did last year. I think they very well could just stand pat and you know, trade a guy or two and get some more prospect capital. But even then then you're talking about next year and you're in the same spot. What the hell are you going to do? Because then you have so many prospects and so many valuable guys in the system. So it's a very curious way to look at this deadline.
Speaker 2: I do think that if they are, you know, let's say where they are now a month from now, I'm not sure if John King would get He's making so little money one year deal, would it really be worth it if you're trying to like stay here.
Speaker 7: The way the things that people trade for these relievers at the deadline is is pretty crazy. Having a phenomenal year, you can never you know.
Speaker 2: The one thing working in Miami's favor is that they don't need to sell off anything because they are in a competitive specially if they want to have the leverage here, being remaining in the race would help them a lot. But in that scenario where that we see them imp had to try and still be competitive throughout the season, I don't see them training John King, maybe Anthony Bender, but guys that are making real money, Fucking King, it'd be worth more to them in the second half than whatever prospect you bring in.
Speaker 6: M hm. Yeah, because it's going to help you on a run you don't want to break up.
Speaker 1: And who else are you gonna use it against? Left handed hitters Kate Gibson and Andrew Ardi?
Speaker 7: Please right, I forgot about Andrew Ardi.
Speaker 6: Eli.
Speaker 3: Any thoughts on Bendix and the situation regarding the team's competitiveness before we move on to the Cardinals.
Speaker 5: Just one thing quickly and names bring up them. On the trade side. They do have one pending free agent no strengths asassion. That's Pete Fairbanks, and I think he's been pitching better of late, but also by no means it's the indispensable to this team and where they are, Like, I mean, that's I could just to keep in mind that they can still trade. I know that Bendix was a big reason why they brought in Fairbanks in the first place, and his value is not quite as high as it would be, but I think given his performance there, I think there's some team that would get something for him.
Speaker 4: At the deadline.
Speaker 5: That's just like one of those little marginal moves where if we're looking at how could this deadline unfold a lot like last year, he could be in that like Nick Fortez role or well Sands more like a Haesu Sanchez comp where Sanchez was just a guy where felt a little bit redundant because they had they really like their outfield situation at this time a year ago, and now they really like their bullpen situation. They have that's been such a strength of this team, and Fairbanks really has not been driving that ship.
Speaker 6: The way that we thought he would.
Speaker 5: So I mean that's a smaller consideration because it wouldn't be a big return going either way. But I kinda deep in my imagination, I could see a deadline where they mostly stand pat, with the exception of just dumping Fairbanks because he's gonna be a pending free agent anyway. So a lot of different directions that they could go with this though, And I hope for our selfish reasons as content creators, that they're more active than last year, because it's there's only so much you could say last year when they trade two little role players and nothing else. So I just hope it's they get creative and wind up in more interesting results come deadline time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you could be a little more aggressive than last year, because this is at what point do you say, what the hell, a man?
Speaker 1: This is the year three. They just moved.
Speaker 4: Last year was not trading cal Quantrill.
Speaker 3: So yeah, the biggest uproar or discussion was around Quantrill, which should tell you everything if you're a Marlins fan about how quiet the deadline was, which is it's a fun time of the year. But yeah, the last thing I'll say is, I do think this Marlins team, if I had to guess, you know, sitting here a month out, I think their buyers if they continue hovering around five hundred, and I think they're going to be more active and surprising people. I do think Peter Bendix is going to surprise people with how he approaches this deadline, and that means buying the don't expect the top prospects to leave them. Let's hit this quick ad from our friends over at jet Ski before we talk the Cardinals.
Speaker 5: Yes, this podcast is brought to you by jet Ski Rentals of South Florida, offering Miami's best jet ski and boat adventures with six jet ski locations in over one hundred and twenty boats or something for every style and every budget. Right jet Ski is right in front of the downtown skyline in Ferriswheel. Or book your own private boat starting as low as three hundred dollars with the captain included. Bring your drinks, your friends, and enjoy the water your way. The boat is completely yours for the time you reserve it. The reservation based only to a book Call three oh five nine nine oh two one nine two or check them out online at SF jet ski rentals dot com. Make sure to use our promo code fish on first all one word to receive ten percent off your next booking. Again that's three oh five nine nine oh two one nine two, or online at SF jet ski rentals dot com.
Speaker 3: A different view there, So Saint Louis for three games the Marlins.
Speaker 6: Head up to.
Speaker 3: Go see the Arch and Bush Stadium. Heard us really nice. Never bend myself. It's on my bucket list though. Cardinals playing good baseball. The pitching, I don't know how they do it with the with the pitching staff they had. I think I talked about this before we previewed the first Cardinals series, and I said that was the weakness they're gonna face Dustin May, Andre Polante, and Kyle Lee Leehyuh. Dustin May, though phenomenal start his last time out. I think he pitched a complete game one hitter. I might be wrong on the stat line, but he was really, really good. This Cardinals seemed like we talked about earlier in the playoff mix. They're already talking in Saint Louis about deadline if you if you google Saint Louis, Cardinals are saying the biggest needs for the Cardinals at the deadline because no one expected them to be here, just like a lot of people didn't expect the Marlins to be this competitive. So it's an important series for both teams, very important that the Marlins go in and at least take two out of three. When you preview this Cardinals team, Nate, what stands out to me is a couple of things. Number One, the emergence of Jordan Walker and JJ Weatherhol, two guys who were question marks coming into this year. Weatherhol because he's a rookie and Jordan Walker because he sucked to start his career. He was really really bad and now he's an absolute beast. Those guys have led the charge offensively, and the pitching staff does just enough to get them where they are right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, completely agree. I mean, if you tore a lot of people in spring training that Jordan Walker and weather Holt will be leading this team, you probably think they'd be doing pretty poorly. But I mean those two have just been that good. Obviously, Jordan Walker had crazy prospect and draft pedialiy coming out of high school, and the guys really been putting together. Man, a lot of pop in that bad He's a really big dude. I've been playing a lot of outfield in the aging, but it's been working for him, honestly, feel good for a guy like that. And then weather Hold, the rookie who was just taking two yars ago in twenty twenty four or lest Virginia, has been amazing as well. I mean a lot of a couple of multi homer games, been playing rright defense and just honestly putting a lot the battle of the ball a good amount and k rates low. Walk rate is pretty low as well, So good good year for him so far. And then but the guys like Mason win if you'd expect to play a bit part of this team kind of been struggling this year. Large new part not really not a punch from him, and then, like you said, their rotation has been pretty underwhelming. To be honest with you, if you want my honest opinion, I don't think this Cardinals team is that good. To be honest, they really don't move me that much outside of Walker and newpar who honestly are not before Weatherhole, And honestly, speaking from Walker, I'd like to see a little bit more out of him before I fully buy back into a guy like that, especially after struggling for so long like he did. So the Marlins two out of three from them back home in Miami, I don't think there's any reason why they shouldn't. I mean, they're facing I think they believe they face Polonte or polentever you say his name in Miami. So this team doesn't concern me that much. And the fact they're ahead of the Marlins the negative one run differential, I think the Wrongs intestioning pretty easily. I think with a highlight match going tomorrow, they have a perfect chance to take game one and then just tad one more and they'll be sitting pretty as long as the tarpsoft crowd in right field doesn't get to him. I think the Marlins have a chance to take this one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, with Kevin having departed early from the stream, I have to highlight myself old friend George Soriano, former Marlin who's on the Cardinals. He's been on the roster all year. He bounced around, for those that don't remember, off this offseason, constantly moving on the DFA train from the Marlins to I think the Orioles, to another team, back to the Orioles, and now to the Cardinals. He's been on there in the bullpen all year long era right around three a similar number of ending says last year when he had an eight and a half RA for the Marlins and was constantly getting sent down and was just awful. So keeping the ball in the ballpark more just doing everything better. It's you know, the underlying numbers aren't quite as good as the run prevention. But I did not see that coming with a George Soriano. I didn't think he was actually gonna be a legit contributor to contending team so far, And that's kind of that's one of the bigger questions with them. That's an advantage I think the Marlins have overall, like the Marlins bullpen more than the Cardinals one as well, And so for the Cardinals that's gonna be a big question moving forward is how much their bullpen hold on a lot of guys that have relatively short track records or inconsistent track records in the back end of games, you can this is a team that you can rally against in the later endings, So that's something to keep in minds. And overall, I kind of agree with a lot of those thoughts that Nate espouse right there where I think they are going to slowly come down to earth. That being said, this season has been smashing success given how low the expectations were. Their expectations for them, I think, generally speaking were even lower than the Marblins, and by significant margin. There's mostly one of the few teams in the NL that was not realistically in postseason contention. So for them, this has been just way so far exceeding I think even the most optimistic ideas for where they'd be and what is essentially a year one of a rebuild.
Speaker 3: Isaac, anything to add about the Cardinals series before we hit prediction time, No.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you guys touched on it that you know, obviously Saint Louis. I sure you touched on Jordan Walker, who I dude, I thought his career was over with Matt I just here to see the year he's having is so frustrating.
Speaker 1: I think Miami could have had him at one point.
Speaker 2: I'm not a huge fan of the guy, but he's hitting the ball as hard as he did as a minor leaguer, which is what made him such a blue chip prospect to begin with. So good to see that happening. Miami did take two out of three. This would be Max's second start against the Saint Louis Cardinals, who as he comes off the bereavement list for tomorrow night, our wishes with Max Meyer as well. You know, hopefully man I can take another two out of three.
Speaker 4: Year.
Speaker 2: This is a team that I believe is just overachieving a little bit, despite having such such some really nice young players on their roster that are probably going to be big leaders for a very long time, including JJ Wetherell. Is the team that is overperforming a little bit in my opinion. So I think that this is a big first series of a Big three city road trip that Miami has in a real part of the season before we get to deadline talk. So I think there's a series to be had. It might be this one. We shall see, but we know Bush Stadium is always a tough place to play. My personal favorite memory in that ballpark will have to be when Donnie refused to take or Sandy refuse to come out of a ball.
Speaker 1: Game with automatic button. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Looking forward to this series as well, happening before Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know it, you know fun.
Speaker 2: I didn't want to make it about me, but my it was on my birthday that I'll be hit that home run and I'm like, yeah, I was in the car outside of top forty two watching it like holy what woo?
Speaker 1: And and then Sandy didn't get to take it out. But yeah, we'll focus on the Sandy.
Speaker 5: Park Gadford Fan Duel and then head into prediction time.
Speaker 11: This episode is brought to you by Fan Duel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing and Fan Duel is giving you a chance to call your shot with daily dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs.
Speaker 6: So are you.
Speaker 11: Ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com slash podcast. To opt in for daily dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer, playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball. No purchase necessary, opt in required. Bonus issued as non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem call or text one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 6: This is prediction time. That's my prediction, But who knows?
Speaker 5: Quick overview of where we stand Jeremiah as a firm lead atop the standings. Every single series, we take predictions from our staffers, our other livestream guests, and our valued super subs. How many games Marlins will win? Who will be this series MVP, as determined by win probability added. A ton of people got points in the last series, expecting the Marlins to take two out of three, but nobody quite had it perfect. Sandy just eked out the MVP honors very well desermed for this past three games. So yeah, once again another three game series coming up ahead. I think I could get the music started whenever we're ready right there, And so yeah, whoever we want to start with Jeremiah, let's start with Isaac.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm gonna say that Miami is gonna prevail here and win two out of three.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go series MVP. The best shorts up in the National League.
Speaker 6: Auto Lopez headed over to Nate.
Speaker 4: As much as I would like to say sweep, those are the second game in the last game. The Marlins pitching is unsure right now, at least one whole the game out of those, probably a Tyler FOLP star as well. So I'm gonna go passing it and say two out of three and a rare batch to that series MVP picked for me. I don't know how close that was last series, but Clayton said he's been shooting a lot of balls the other way, working a lot better at the play. A couple of cucks swings for the guy here's in the PFA record.
Speaker 5: And Eli, I'll ask you a little negative here. It's hard to believe that Ronald's have been this good for this long stretch of the season. But I think they're gonna lose a rare series in this case. Haven't been the same team on the road at all this year as they've been at home. So I'll have the Cardinals winning two out of three, and probably the silliest MVP pick of the entire season so far, I'll go with George Soriano revenge series that he pitches a couple high leverage innings for the Cardinals to help seal those wins and make the difference getting revenge on the organization that origently brought him to the big leagues.
Speaker 3: It's tough because those final two games. I still have a question regarding the Marlins rotation, Tyler Phillips, Ryan Gusto, bullpen game what happens, But I think the Marlins offense steps up in a big way. I don't trust the Cardinals rotation or their bullpen. I think the Marlins get a couple late runs eighth or ninth inning. It's gonna come down the wire. All games are close and give me Xavier Edwards. He's been cooling down. I think he has a big series, gets back on track. Ex is the MVP.
Speaker 6: Marlins win two out.
Speaker 3: Of three, and that is going to do it for today's stream. Of course, we will be back on Sunday to recap the Cardinals series, which again is the first of a three city road trip for this Marlins team.
Speaker 6: They're really good at home.
Speaker 3: They got to play good on the road to continue the thoughts of competing in this tough, close national league. But that's gonna do it for today, for Eli Sussman, for Nate Carsmer, I'm Jeremiah Geiger. Until next time, guys, stay safe and let's go fish.
Speaker 2: Yeah.