Speaker 1: Hey, I'm Norah Jones and today I'm playing along with Robert glasper part one.
Speaker 2: I'm just playing lone Wezy, I'm just playing in lone wey.
Speaker 1: Hi, welcome to the show. I'm Norah Jones and with me as always. Hi, Sarah Oda, It's me Sarah Oda. Hi, Sarah Hi ah Hi.
Speaker 3: This episode makes us both sigh at the same time.
Speaker 1: This was so much fun. Also, this episode we recorded as part of a trip to la we went.
Speaker 3: On together, and it was definitely a highlight of our trip.
Speaker 1: It was such a highlight. And also it was such a fun trip and crazy and now I'm having memories of our trip just thinking about this episode. In that day, after we were done with this episode with Robert, we went and had dinner and we were just like, we stuffed our face so pasta. We were so happily, we were high. We were kind of high on on.
Speaker 3: Podcasts and pasta.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Basically, our guest today is a pianist, songwriter, producer, composer, range ordinaire all around incredibly talented human Robert Glasper Yay.
Speaker 1: He is also quite a special personality.
Speaker 3: Yes, he's very uplifting. He like just listening to him talk make I feel.
Speaker 1: He makes me happy. Yes, just being around him and his energy is beautiful, it's contagious. He's he's a he's one of those good humans that you know, you just are happy to be around.
Speaker 3: Yes, he walks in the room and everybody's just feeling a little bit better, a lot, a bit better.
Speaker 1: A lot better. He's so kind. And we start off this episode talking about it, and we'll talk about it a lot, I think. But I actually met Robert for the first time when I was fifteen years old in Denton, Texas at Jazz Camp, Jazz.
Speaker 3: Summer Camp, Jazz Camp at Jazz Camp.
Speaker 1: Have a story a podcast. I do have a story like that, but not for the podcast. But yeah, it was so awesome thinking about knowing Robert at that time and we were just babies, you know, and it's just so sweet. And we've we've actually, you know, seen each other over the years. We've recorded a song together, I've sat in with him a couple of times at shows, but we've never gotten to sit down and hang like this. So this is this was such a special thing for me.
Speaker 3: This episode felt like a high school reunion in a bottle, you know, just like just hearing all the names of people that you both grew up with and were in spy by people who were just you know, a couple of years older than you, but you looked up to. And I feel like maybe really set the foundation for the path that you ended up being on. And even though you both you and Robert had different paths, you crossed paths and you know, kind of connected in different ways. It's it's so fun to hear like the journey that he's been on since then.
Speaker 1: He's in, his journey has been incredible. And it's definitely a shout out episode. So I think we have to tag everybody that's in this episode.
Speaker 5: Sohow we will?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because there's there must be like one hundred hundred names, so many names talk about. We talk about a lot of special people in this episode.
Speaker 3: So many connections. I mean, I feel like this episode was like just longing to happen, you know, and then when you started playing music, it felt like you could just play a hundred songs and not run out. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wish, I wish we had more time, but this was a long episode, so we decided to make it a two parter.
Speaker 3: Oh, I thought you're gonna go low.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's start it. So we decided to make it.
Speaker 5: A two part.
Speaker 3: Should like an echo?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, okay, and we should keep this part into no this is this is not cool? Okay, all right, So please enjoy this episode. It's a little shorter than normal because it's going to be a two parter overaller but worth it. Worth it, and then be sure to tune in again for the second part when it comes out. And I hope you enjoy. Please go see Robert Glasper play wherever he is playing. You will love the show. He's got Obtoberfest coming up in New York City at the Blue Note in October. I think yep.
Speaker 3: He does his like month long residency there.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's pretty so, yeah it does. It's a tiny, tiny club. I'm hopefully going to sit in on one of the shows. Don't know which one, but.
Speaker 3: And congratulations to Robert for winning his why are.
Speaker 1: You yelling all of a sudden.
Speaker 3: Congratulations, No, congratulations to Robert for winning his fifth Grammy just this year for Best R and B Album Black Radio three.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's awesome. Enjoy our episode. Hope you enjoyed the episode with Robert Klasper. I'm excited.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, look at us. We're here. We are here.
Speaker 1: It's you know, Oh, we're on.
Speaker 5: Oh, we're on.
Speaker 1: It's only taken us how many years to actually play music together together.
Speaker 5: In the same room.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean remember when I first I don't know if you remember, because okay, for those of you don't know, we met a jazz camp.
Speaker 5: I don't know where I'm looking.
Speaker 1: Oh, you don't have to look anywhere.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so we met a jazz camp. We're both in like eleventh grade or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think we're fifteen or sixty fifteen or sixteen.
Speaker 6: The jazz camp at Villeville in Dnville, Danville.
Speaker 1: Denton, Texas, Denton, Texas and Texas.
Speaker 6: You and T Denton, Texas U and T University of North Texas. That's right, that's right, in a jazz camp. After that jazz camp, the next time I saw you was at the new school.
Speaker 5: You were in the practice room, practicing.
Speaker 1: I've heard you tell the story.
Speaker 6: And she was just playing and I walked by, and I was like, because I haven't seen her at that point in probably like three years or something forty years, Yeah, like, what.
Speaker 5: Are you doing here?
Speaker 6: You're like Oh, my friend let me in the practice room so I could probably working on a demo. And then after that day, next time I saw you was on the Grammy's holding all the Grammys.
Speaker 5: I was like, you went from the I'm.
Speaker 6: Working on the demo to all these Grammies and I was like, oh my god, it's crazy. And then after that, I remember each time I saw you after that, I did this thing with the Roots at Radio City Music.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 1: I was there, Yeah, and me and you.
Speaker 6: Were both sitting on the on the side of Questlove. This is when he was really big. We sat there for an hour, probably didn't see each other because that was on the right side of him. You were on the left side of him, and we both reached for like ice or some chips. That's literally what happened. We're both like, We're both like it was crazy, and my Maria was in the middle.
Speaker 1: Like you that's so funny.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolutely absolutely, but man, good times and congratulations on so many things.
Speaker 1: And congratulations you just want to grabby. Was that yesterday or the day before.
Speaker 5: Maybe before yesterday?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And I was there in the audience. I watched you go up. I was so stoked and you were like my pants just fell down.
Speaker 6: I literally the morning of I realized that my pants I lost more weight.
Speaker 5: I didn't realize I lost weight, but apparently I lost weight.
Speaker 1: It was an old tux.
Speaker 5: It was an old.
Speaker 6: Tux, and so I lost weight. And I didn't try it on till the morning of the thing. I was like, I'll be fine. Yeah, and I was like, oh snap. So we put like safety pins and it was fine. I was like, okay, cool, and I wore my shirt out anyway. It was I was kind of being chilled, like, you know, I had cool sneakers and a cool shirt, you know whatever. As soon as they called my name, I was like, oh snap, and I jumped up, and I think when I jumped, the safety pins just gave out. And I started running down the aisle. I felt my pants falling down. I was like, oh snap, I gotta hold my pants up. So I literally the whole time after we after won Grammar did the speech and everything. The whole night at the Grammys, I had to walk with my hand in my pocket just to.
Speaker 1: Hold them up. Oh my god, You're like way too cool for everybody.
Speaker 5: Somebody want to give me that.
Speaker 1: I was like, that's too funny your handsl fall down. Did you at least have good looking underwear on?
Speaker 5: I think I did, okay, just in case, But it was.
Speaker 1: It was so exciting though. I was so happy. It's so sweet to me to know you from that age and to see you go up there and accept an award and to see your show the other night.
Speaker 5: So dope.
Speaker 1: I mean, I was so stoked. I don't know if I I felt very awkward because I sometimes I don't know what to do with my hands when I'm not playing. I'm just not used to it anymore, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Exactly?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but god, I love hearing you play with Christen, Christadie Days, Chris, Dave and Derek holy crap, Derek Hodge.
Speaker 5: Literally my band is my favorite musicians.
Speaker 1: It's so great now. It's such a great feeling to feel like that. How long have you played with him? Are they from Houston?
Speaker 5: No? Well, christ is from Houston. He is.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he went to how he went to my high school, high school performing arts, but he went like he graduated like he's a little older, a little older. I think he graduated ninety two, okay, and not graduated ninety seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're the same age.
Speaker 5: We're the same age. Yeah, so we went to So you went to book T right.
Speaker 1: I went to the Performing Arts in Dallas. Yeah, Bookert.
Speaker 5: So I have a lot of friends I went there.
Speaker 1: I feel like we're like parallel sister schools.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, because you had.
Speaker 1: Erica yeah, Roy Hargrove.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I went to school with Beyonce.
Speaker 1: And wait, she went there. Yeah I didn't know that.
Speaker 6: Yeah she went yeah, yeah her ninth her freshman year. I was a senior, she was a freshman.
Speaker 1: I actually did not know that.
Speaker 6: Desney's child the next year, the Destiny's Child did the Super Bowl and they never came back.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: They home schooled after.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I knew she was from Houston, but I had no idea she went to the.
Speaker 6: Performing Like literally, my little sister, I remember salons come up to the schools running, give me a hug Like that was like little sisters, so sweet. So seeing it's crazy, like yeah, from high school, you and Beyonce, like it's you know what I mean, Like it's it's it's crazy to see so many friends like blow all the way up in the world.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, well it's the same thing when I'm watching you and it's like, I'm so proud, and I just remember being at that jazz camp and being like one of two girls or something, and it's like all the dudes and you know, feeling like a door. Yeah, you know, everybody was nice, but like, I don't feel like we've ever sat in a room and talked without a bunch of people around. Yeah, it's crazy. Yeah, it's really special.
Speaker 5: Yeah definitely Texas. Yeah, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: Dang, it's really special. I'm so happy he did this. I only met him once. Yeah, he was older, you know, so he wasn't there when I got to the school. I only got to meet him once. Yeah, but I used to like I was obsessed with this record of his in high school and I learned a lot from listening.
Speaker 8: Of course.
Speaker 6: I mean, he's the person when people ask me, he's one of my biggest influence influences because he came to my high school to do a clinic and that was my first time seeing a young jazz band all black wearing stuff I was wearing.
Speaker 5: They were wearing jeans.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they weren't like wearing suits.
Speaker 5: They weren't suits.
Speaker 6: That's the first time I saw it, and I was like, oh, I can be that because he looked like me.
Speaker 1: That's so cool.
Speaker 6: Most of the time jazz musicians like like, I remember I used to go to I used to go to UH. I used to play with the Winton when I was in college and we used to go to schools and play. And I would always wear like dress and the wind and win and then would wear the suits like how do you But after the show, you know, all the kids would run and make a.
Speaker 5: Line to talk to me because of your clothes.
Speaker 6: Because I look like that, you know, because that's not put it to two and two together too, like, oh man, that makes sense because you look you want to be what you see, what looks familiar, like it's a reachable goal, you know what I mean. Like and it's like, yo, that makes sense if I look like it's reachable to you, like Roy did to me. I was like, oh man, I could do that. I could play jazz. It's still we're sneakers and jeans.
Speaker 1: I don't know that.
Speaker 5: You know, it's so cool.
Speaker 6: You know so that he really inspired me with that, and then he took me on my first world tour. You know it was Urge Factor, his band arch Factor.
Speaker 1: Oh Man, I wish I could have seen that.
Speaker 5: So I was. I was a freshman in with that freshman in high school, in college college. Yeah, freshman in college. Yeah.
Speaker 6: He took me up from on the world tour and the first shows in Houston.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, my mom, God bless her soul. My mom.
Speaker 6: Walked up to the front of the stage while Roy is playing the said give my baby a solo. I swear to guy. The whole band saw everybody die left Roy. He was like, hey, you heard your it was a song, don't leave a solo.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, Mom, what are you doing during the song, during the during the song the first song.
Speaker 5: Absolutely no, but that that was my mom though, that was that was that was her.
Speaker 1: Oh that's very sweet. Did you did you grow up in church?
Speaker 5: I grew up in church. Yep.
Speaker 6: I grew up my first time playing in church with a small church and if it was somebody's birthday or birthday month, the preacher will let me come up and play Happy Birthday on the piano. And I learned that with literally one finger Happy Birthday at eleven and then.
Speaker 5: Throughout the years.
Speaker 6: Because my mother was a minister of music at the church, so yeah, she was the choir director and everything. So but during the week she sang in clubs and you know, did like duo, piano, piano, voice, jazz standard stuff.
Speaker 1: And she's singing clubs doing jazz, yeah.
Speaker 6: Jazz and Top forty and Broadway. She loved Liza Minelli and it's amazing. I know, more Broadway things than ship that's a black man. It's weird, yeah for sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So yeah, so just like all kinds of music, you know, coming up. But I learned how to play literally in church. They had like a broke organ in the corner. So my mom was conducting the service. I was just learning on that organ in the corner. Yeah, you know, and then I just got good just by that.
Speaker 1: That's so cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that.
Speaker 1: I feel like that's similar to so many musicians I know growing up and going to being at that school in Dallas.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, playing in church. I learned to sing in church actually really yeah, but you know it was more Latin kind of hymns and stuff.
Speaker 5: Gotcha. The Catholic No, it wasn't, but the.
Speaker 1: Choir director used to be Catholic.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because I played in the Catholic church too. Every so on Saturdays, I played for a seven day Vanish church. On Sunday. Early morning, I played at the Catholic church. Wow, Sunday at eleven o'clock, I played at the Baptist church.
Speaker 1: That's the best practice.
Speaker 6: So every for the last two years of my life, I played at three different churches three days a week.
Speaker 1: That's amazing, you know.
Speaker 6: And and all those churches had choir rehearsal, yeah during the week, so I was in church all the time.
Speaker 1: But that's such a great gig, and I.
Speaker 5: Was bollowing out of control. I at that dough, that church dough.
Speaker 1: Well, those church gise.
Speaker 6: I know a lot of people that no church gise play extremely well now, especially now now that it's cool to be a touring musician and still have your church gig. And now the pastors and stuff, they're like, yeah, my my, my ms directors on tour.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're cool letting out.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Before I did it too early, Like I started when I got to Houston. When I got to New York from Houston, my pastor in Houston knew a pastor in Harlem, so I had a church gig immediately. And so when I started playing there, everything was fine. But six months in I started my friend Balau singer Ballow. We met at college and we started working on his album. And then like a year later he started touring and I was going on tour and with him, and.
Speaker 5: Like Christian McBride, I was on tour with and.
Speaker 6: Roy and Roy and back then it wasn't cool yet. It wasn't totally cool yet. They were like, you gotta make a decision. You got to be here or go on tour. Yeah, well, I love you God.
Speaker 1: But uh, I love you God, but I'm going on tour.
Speaker 5: I got to be out man. Yeah.
Speaker 6: But now, like that's the thing everybody holds onto their church, get subbered out till they get home.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because it's it's big money there. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you want to try a song?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 1: Do you want to try that one since it's fresh, or do you want to start with like let it ride or something? What you want to do, It doesn't matter.
Speaker 5: We'll try since it's fresh. Yeah, do it, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Well, So you did this on a live sort of a live covers album.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So I did it at uh the Capitol Building. Oh yeah, yeah, I did it. And so what I did was I had a bunch of couches brought into the studio and I made it like a little club.
Speaker 1: That's so cool.
Speaker 6: And I had a full bar and had a bartender, So I made the studio like a club.
Speaker 5: I got that from Cannon by Idley, Oh yeah, he did that.
Speaker 1: Studio's a lot of live albums.
Speaker 6: You hear some of those, specially back then. They were actually in the studio because you want the live element, but you don't want the sound of a live element sound, So you get the best of both worlds by just doing.
Speaker 5: It in the stand.
Speaker 1: That's idea.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So I had people come invite only at Couches and like you know, like I said, a full bar, boom, boom, boom, and we just played two.
Speaker 5: Sets a night like a show, like a like a gig man.
Speaker 6: So I did two sets boom boom, and then the next day I did two more sets, and then I just chose the best from each, you know, boom, and that's that was the record. Yeah, you know, so it's live live at Capital.
Speaker 1: It's great.
Speaker 6: Yeah. We did the reconder one of my favorite Radiohead tunes.
Speaker 1: It is from in Rainbows, right, is it from Rainbows?
Speaker 5: And I haven't played this since we recorded it.
Speaker 1: I've never I've never done it, She's.
Speaker 5: Never done it. So this is going to be fun.
Speaker 1: Let's see what happens. God, this is a good song.
Speaker 5: Oh man, it's so good.
Speaker 1: And I can I can read the lyrics now, lyrics it's hard to understand.
Speaker 6: Sometimes given up on any lyric that James Brown, DeAngelo, Tom Yorke, you can go down the list. I don't know what y'all saying, but y'all are amazing. But I've never known anything you've ever said.
Speaker 1: But then when you actually read it and they're good, it's like, wow, exactly.
Speaker 6: Exactly, exactly exactly, it's a whole another thing on top.
Speaker 1: Now my heart's beating fast.
Speaker 5: You don't be really dope. I'm gonna try to maybe keep a beat. What you know what I'm saying, mouth beats. I like it, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: The whole time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't know about the whole time because in the middle of it kind of breaks up, it does a thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but then when it goes back.
Speaker 1: I'm excited, you know what I mean. You know what I was thinking when I was listening to this, Yeah, I would love to hear a gospel choir saying.
Speaker 5: This, oh absolutely, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Well it's got all those choral parts. But then like to have just the vibe a little different that absolutely so beautiful. Absolutely do you want to do you have?
Speaker 6: I don't know if I can. My breathing is going to work for that might pass out. I just did it for ten seconds just now.
Speaker 1: I was like, well that sounded like, let's not do this.
Speaker 5: We have it. Yeah, we got it. We got it for sure, for sure.
Speaker 9: I cannot.
Speaker 10: You can't take it.
Speaker 7: With you.
Speaker 4: Day shan four.
Speaker 5: You'll play.
Speaker 10: Oh oh you.
Speaker 8: To blame.
Speaker 10: For paid her sweet.
Speaker 11: Disturb day.
Speaker 10: Let's speak it's name. Oh daddy came.
Speaker 7: To oh you.
Speaker 4: Mad because.
Speaker 8: We said.
Speaker 4: Parade like grapples.
Speaker 7: A lot of blads.
Speaker 11: Shoot oh because.
Speaker 10: We said.
Speaker 11: Play like grapple, lot of blad.
Speaker 10: O show they cannot jaw it standing a little case to omn.
Speaker 7: S mm h.
Speaker 9: Smoo.
Speaker 1: I mean it was kind of cool.
Speaker 5: It was cool. I messed up once or twice, but doesn't matter. The vibe was there.
Speaker 1: I love was there. I love that, I love I love you. Play.
Speaker 5: It feels so good, it does.
Speaker 1: I feel I feel like we're family.
Speaker 5: We kind of are, haven't said we haven't just spent time together, but.
Speaker 1: Cousins like, yeah, we're like cousins who were But yeah, yeah your show the other night, I felt that real sense of family. Also, just everyone there too, your whole crew is like a family.
Speaker 5: I don't, I don't. I don't do good with assholes.
Speaker 1: I know you're good. You've cultivated like this beautiful community.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, I mean we're in a business where you know, you run across people who just aren't cool and not you know, but there you have to deal with them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, those are the people you didn't see. They were in another section.
Speaker 1: I did not see those.
Speaker 5: So far.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I loved it, I guess. I mean so many people too that felt like family. Like I met Leilah halfaway, No, I've never met her before, and she felt like family. I mean it's crazy. Absolutely, it's just so nice.
Speaker 5: Yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you introduced me to Jillie old wife, which was pretty freaking alsome.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Ercle came to mind. I had Ercle and I had thel Hux.
Speaker 1: Yes, you did. It was amazing. It was next to our generation was just dying.
Speaker 5: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, absolutely, yeah, it was so sweet.
Speaker 5: Yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's cool your show is cool because you do a lot of different things. Yeah, And I didn't realize you sang so much.
Speaker 5: I just started because you didn't.
Speaker 1: Sing last time I saw you. No, No, that's a new thing.
Speaker 6: This is new because what happened was last year I was on tour and my vocalist at the time, uh fir my boyfriend, he got stripped through. It was the last week, the last end of the tour. I was at the Blue Note. We had a week and he got stripped through in the middle of the week and so he was done, and I was like, man, we were doing black radio songs. I was like, man, I gotta try to sing one of these songs.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you know.
Speaker 6: I was like, people know I'm not a singer, so it's not gonna take me too seriously. It's just for the vibe.
Speaker 5: So that's why I started, like, let me try one, and it worked out that night. I was like, maybe the next thing I'll try to that's cool. Yeah.
Speaker 6: So then I just started kind of doing it more and more because I figured the more I just get used to it, the better i'll get, you know. And I have like pedal stuff and stuff from tuning and stuff and I'm still starting to figure like an figuration out what may work the best. But the more I do it, the better I think, you know what I mean, just for something different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have a cool effect on your voice.
Speaker 6: Yeah, put that on there and trying to, you know, make it interesting at some point because I'm not a singer, so you're not you know, you don't want to hear my tone?
Speaker 1: No, but you're not not a singer. I mean you sounded you grew up singing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but in church. I mean I just want to sound decent for the VI. That's it. Decent and vibe it's.
Speaker 1: Great and you get them out. But I think he sounded great. It was really fun. I was like, oh crap, should I have him sing something? If you want to say something?
Speaker 6: Yeah you use that, Yeah, yeah, have a little and yeah absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 1: Actually no, let's go back. Okay you wrote the song and saying with Tip.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, life is better, life is better?
Speaker 1: Yes, you know I actually didn't know that right until recently.
Speaker 5: Until recently.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, so q Tip was working on his album The Renaissance, and I was there in the studio a lot doing some of the joints and blah, blah blah. And then I was like sitting there trying out something, trying not to key. I might've been getting sound something, and I started playing the what became Life Is Better.
Speaker 5: He was like what's that? And I was like, I don't know. Just He's like, keep going, keep going.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 6: So then we kind of cultivated and made it the thing, and I had to leave town the next morning and we were sitting me and him were sitting around.
Speaker 5: He was like, oh, what should we deal with this? And I was like, you should be like a singer to sing a hook on it. And I was like, Norah Jones.
Speaker 1: You said it.
Speaker 5: I said it.
Speaker 1: Oh thank you, I said.
Speaker 5: I was like, I can hear Noura on this. That would be dope.
Speaker 6: He's like, ah yeah, nahahs So he's like, oh yeah, that'd be dope. And then I got on the plane and I think I went on tour or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you weren't there.
Speaker 6: I wasn't there. Then he hit me like yeah, no, I came through and killed it, and I was like, oh, absolutely, absolutely, that's such a dope joint.
Speaker 5: He's done. It's so cool man, so good. It's really dope joint.
Speaker 1: It's funny because I went in and I hadn't met him before.
Speaker 5: Oh really no, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I was excited. I was a little nervous, but also I was kind of in those days. I was super oblivious, like I was almost too oblivious to be nervous a lot. And he had me sing this part and he's like that fel but it was kind of high for me. And I remember I said to him, was like, it's a little high. I don't know, Kenna. He's like, no, it sounds great, just do it. It was a really good lesson and don't don't pretend like you can't do something until you go for it. Actually, and it kind of made me learn that I could sing Hi. It's weird.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: He made me play organ on not that song, but the U song. I don't play organ. I'm not an organ player. That's a different instrument. It is a whole different.
Speaker 1: My husband's a good organ player. He learned playing in a church.
Speaker 6: There you go exactly. I learned playing at church. But it was a broke organ, a cheap, small one, so it's not even the real one.
Speaker 1: It didn't take.
Speaker 5: It didn't take at all.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So that song you is the first recording of me playing an organ on any record. Oh cool, on a real record, you know. And I told him I didn't want to. I said, I know organists. Let me let me call my boy I know, I know Cory Henry.
Speaker 5: Let me call him. You know, yeah, I know guys that are great. You know. He was like, Noah, you can do it. Just just do it.
Speaker 1: Exactly what happened to me.
Speaker 6: That's why I brought it up, because I was like, he made me. He literally was like, you could do it, just do it. You can play orgon just play it.
Speaker 1: That's why he's such a great producer.
Speaker 6: Exactly exactly he saw what he saw our limitations, what we thought were limitations.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, it's not a limitation.
Speaker 1: But that's the best.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So I was like, okay, so I played organ in that song. I was like, Oh, I did do it.
Speaker 1: That is so cool. I want to do this cutube song?
Speaker 5: Sure? What?
Speaker 6: Hey? What?
Speaker 1: What what are these chords?
Speaker 5: Because I know, I just I had to relearn them today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I actually I've always been like.
Speaker 6: What is this because that happens to me. I'm so much like that. I do sound checks or something and they'll be like what's that? And I'm like, I don't know, yeah, and they'll recorded and loop it and I never play it again.
Speaker 5: Then I don't know what it is.
Speaker 1: But it's so nice. Your hands just go to a shape.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so I think the vibe is more like.
Speaker 6: So, I think it's like G major B minor passing chord to C major to C sharp minor nine mm hmm. Yeah, That's what I'm getting with the vibe is.
Speaker 1: But it's it's fluid.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Days, food great, but now comes in.
Speaker 7: These fun.
Speaker 8: Hip hop is.
Speaker 1: Flat again and it's burying.
Speaker 12: I'm gonna bang it for you.
Speaker 13: Don't stop this feeling a fit. I just want to around all day and feel the breeze will still my needs. I'm so into a rich history me tell me stories and take.
Speaker 12: Me away, Come and take me, Come and take me with you. Life fits better now that now that I funny. That feels better now that now that I found life. It's better now that now that I found you. Life things better now now that I found you. Life its better now there now that I found you, life is better now that now that I found you, life is better.
Speaker 8: Life is bitter.
Speaker 10: Live is betterf you.
Speaker 13: Live is Beter, I feckspara.
Speaker 12: Now that well that I found you, I feel it's better.
Speaker 11: Spen you.
Speaker 12: Now that I found you lasts better.
Speaker 9: Who who.
Speaker 1: Oh, Yeah, I love that song.
Speaker 5: It's a good song.
Speaker 1: It's a great song.
Speaker 5: And his verses are they're great.
Speaker 6: It's so it's so relevant because it's now, it's the fiftieth a University of hip Hop too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was funny watching the other night at the Grammys watching.
Speaker 5: That whole thing. Amazing, it was awesome.
Speaker 6: It was amazing, And and Q Tip shouted out a lot of those guys that are on the stage. She shouted out so many rappers in that song.
Speaker 1: I kept waiting for him to come out, right, Yeah, I was hoping to be there, but yeah, he does that song is like, I love all of that that he he did that.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, it's really thoughtful and it is you have to really, you know, take your time and really figure that out because the history of hip hop is a lot of people.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you can't leave out this person. You can have that person without this person, you can have that.
Speaker 1: But you know, yeah, it's tricky. It's a slippery slip.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolutely, Yeah, Yeah, that's so funny. I haven't played that song since it recorded.
Speaker 1: Me neither me neither. I never got to play it with him do.
Speaker 5: A video too.
Speaker 1: We did a video, right, Actually, that's one of my favorite videos.
Speaker 5: I've ever done.
Speaker 1: I remember I got there and I think I was really uptight with the director, and I think it was kind of not I wasn't like a bitch, but I think I was just like nervous and tight, and I was worried about how I looked, and I didn't know that they were going to blow it out like that and it looks so cool, like my makeup didn't matter because they made it black and white.
Speaker 5: And yeah, way yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And he was late and I was like where is he? Yeah, and then we had so much fun. We shot it in like twenty minutes. Really yeah, it was like very quick. So yeah, but we never got to sing it together.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I did a video for a song called getting Up on that same album. Oh yeah, but that's why I took my eye eyebrow ring out. I had an eyebrow ring And when you watch the getting Up video, I'm the first thing you see, like it comes on is my face right here and it pans out and I'm playing piano. But it was like a time period kind of vibed to my eyebrow ring. They didn't like, they didn't fit the vibe. They told me to take it out. I couldn't put it back in.
Speaker 1: After its you could never get it back in.
Speaker 5: I could never get it back in.
Speaker 1: So ower basically, I'm kind.
Speaker 6: Of glad because you know, I had it too long. I shouldn't need to be out anywhere.
Speaker 1: It was a little dated as it was.
Speaker 5: It was exactly for sure, you had.
Speaker 1: Long hair, then you had long drugs.
Speaker 5: You have dreads. Yeah, and.
Speaker 6: When I did, I played her Tatum in this Aretha Franklin documentary. Cool, that's the geographics genius. Okay, they just stay on different artists and then went for the Franklin. So this is one cint the revo did. She played Aretha and I played art Tatum. Guess what couldn't put it back in?
Speaker 1: Well, there you go.
Speaker 5: So therefore I have no.
Speaker 1: Earrings and now you don't have all that You don't need all that stuff to be cool. Yeah, you just need pants.
Speaker 5: That's yeah. I need to at least try on what I'm gonna wear before.
Speaker 1: Before you do it. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 6: So funny, Like I literally was walking around holding up my pants.
Speaker 5: It was amazing.
Speaker 1: Is that the it was that the first time you'd play with him, or you've done a bunch of stuff with him.
Speaker 6: No, I've been going over to cut TIB's house since before that record came out, for like seven years, because he loves to He just loves creating. So I would go over there and replay samples for stuff that he's producing, like replay the actual samples from the records, and they would come up with new stuff, and you know, I've been on tour with them a few times and stuff like you know what I mean. So that that's been my guy I've been. I've been dealing with Tips since probably.
Speaker 5: Like ninety nine because oh wow.
Speaker 6: He knew Blao and then because of BALaw, I was always around him with Blaw you know what I mean. And then he then me and him got cool because of that situation. Okay, blow was my intro.
Speaker 1: He's your gateway.
Speaker 6: He's my gateway to that whole like neo soul movement that happened in like ninety seven. That he was my gateway because he was a part of that whole thing and everybody needed. Everybody wanted to be allowed to sink on stuff. And yeah, he's from Philadelphia. He's so cool, and he's so cool and dope. And I was the friend that was always we were best friends, like we were always together.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And so that's kind of how I everybody knew who I was.
Speaker 1: I was wondering, actually, I was like, how did you end up from jazz camp to the new School And that's still not a gateway to this whole community.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but it was that it.
Speaker 6: Was I moved to New York during the neo so moving the roots, We're doing all these jam sessions in New York. Yeah, they had these legendary jam sessions every week in New York. And there was a legendary jam session and Philly at the spot called the Black Lily, which literally where the neo soul movement pretty much was Births Club, and they would do something like I think every Tuesday, and that's where like allows you to take me on the but we took a Greayhound bus to Philly.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, that jam session, because.
Speaker 6: That's that's when I saw Jazz myself and she was like the fourteen really in the club. Wow, I saw Jazzmine and then quest Love and James Poyser, James, James, James.
Speaker 1: My guy is he also know he's from Philly.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Philly.
Speaker 6: He's a big He's a backbone to that whole James Poyser, like the backbone to that whole neo soul movement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't realize how much he produced and.
Speaker 5: Produced and you know, his style of playing.
Speaker 6: I copped a lot from James's playing, you know what I mean, A lot of people don't even realize that.
Speaker 5: But he too.
Speaker 1: He played on one of my records.
Speaker 6: And yeah, he came with a style that didn't precede him. Like no one plays like James, you know, and now they do. But he has a certain style that just it was his own and every you kind of have to play like that to play this genre. That that's that's that's sort that sole genre. You to play like James to make it work. And so that became a part of my style. But I was trying to show me how to do it, and he was like, you you got to play like this, but it's not that, but it's this, And I was like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Can you show me what you're talking about show me James, I think I know.
Speaker 6: But there's a song that Blouded called Sometimes and it's like a it's like a.
Speaker 5: Some too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 12: It's that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that that little yeah, those things. Yeah, those things. I also copy it, yeah exactly, but in a way, in a way, because you hear those things, you also hear that kind of twang in country music.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's not quite the same. It's a different wilt exactly. Got like a different accent, it's.
Speaker 6: A different accent, different vibe on the different yeah exactly. But James has he cultivated that thing, and it's like that's the thing behind so many of our other great songs.
Speaker 5: Of that time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, shout at the poison.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: James great songwriter too. Like I said, he wrote this song sometimes for Loud. I mean, he wrote so many great songs. I didn't funny story I was when I met you. When I was playing with the Roots of Radio City, we rehearsed the song called the Other Side of the Game. That's what's called Other Side of the Game, so Erica. But song James is late coming to the rehearsal, so we're in the middle of playing that song, and when he walked in, I was like, oh, the changes are He was like, oh, I think I think I know it because I wrote it.
Speaker 1: I was like, that was my that was my ship.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, yeah, but he's so quiet.
Speaker 1: Did he play with her in the beginning.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think he did shows and stuff. She's always heard a band from Dallas.
Speaker 1: Which who I know to high school with.
Speaker 5: She always had those guys.
Speaker 6: But there are times obviously when she comes and plays with the Roots or whatever that that James is playing with that but she already said she's always had those guys.
Speaker 1: Yea are see Brandon Jones.
Speaker 5: You know Daniel Jones.
Speaker 1: Daniel Jones was my freshman buddy when I was a senior. They put us together and he was like, he's doing great ranges, like you know, justin Timberlake shows and and that's crazy.
Speaker 5: Janet Jackson's director right now.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that, like puts.
Speaker 5: Together amazing shows like just Arrange Manson.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But yeah, Daniel, Corey, Lacy, Sean Martin, se Sean, I mean I.
Speaker 5: Just talked to Sean yesterday. Yeah, that's my guy.
Speaker 1: Just these guys were huge, But yeah, I love his drums and his sister Rachelle. So they were huge influences on me because they were all like a year year or two older. And I mean I feel like I absorbed all that in high.
Speaker 5: School for them, absolutely.
Speaker 1: This whole other thing.
Speaker 6: I had this we had a rivalry because but then you even know what anybody looked like. I couldn't hear anybody really play. Yeah, there was no internet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's true.
Speaker 5: All we knew was who won an all stage.
Speaker 1: Jazz band exactly?
Speaker 8: You know what I mean?
Speaker 6: Yeah, one year I won the piano chair for the all stage Jazz band, and then we had I g E remember, oh.
Speaker 1: My god, I went. Yeah, it was crazy and you got to meet everybody.
Speaker 5: I got to meet everybody. But they came looking for me, like who the hell?
Speaker 1: Who's Robert class class?
Speaker 6: That's still trending right now. So they all came to my show with my high.
Speaker 1: School your high school band played.
Speaker 6: High school band played. I had a solo on this on like so what and I played. Then after that I met them and they were all cool, and then we had the jam session. I sst to have pictures of our jam session. We made a jam one of the rooms and Sean Spudd, Brayln Daniel. I brought Daniel Perez. I'm in high school. Were to have a jam session? You want to jam with us?
Speaker 5: He was like, let school, bro, Oh my god, that's what Daniel is.
Speaker 6: My guy's amazing. I just two the Grammys just now. He was, Yeah, I love him, he's my guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So it was like those those times of I ge and getting together and seeing all the students that you can't Yeah, there was no internet, so you didn't couldn't really do a you know, connection like that, so you got to see everybody there.
Speaker 1: It was such a scene though.
Speaker 5: It was such a scene important and like.
Speaker 1: The nineties jazz was so exciting. It was such an exciting time for that musically.
Speaker 5: Kennygarrett, Brad Mildo, Brad Mild.
Speaker 1: And like, I never did, I've never done anything with them.
Speaker 5: That just doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 1: What's I mean?
Speaker 5: He's amazing.
Speaker 1: He's one of my favorites.
Speaker 6: Just the cruise with him. I got a chance to hang out with him for the first time just now in the Blue Mielt Jazz cruise.
Speaker 1: Did you turn into a high school kid?
Speaker 5: One thousand? I got a chance to hang out with him. Larry cool.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and yeah, and uh Jeff Jeff Ballot amazing. We got a chance to really hang because I would go to his shows, but I was in college.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're not like hanging after the show.
Speaker 5: I didn't know.
Speaker 1: Can you sign my my down beat mad?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 6: And brad Man he's just like he's always been a big influence on me too.
Speaker 1: Oh, I love him and he also loves radio.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I remember going to see Josh Redmon in Fort Worth at the Caravan of Dreams and it was it was supposed to be Christian mcbriene on bass, but I think it was Chris Thomas on bass in the end and it was Brian Blade on drums. And that was my first time seeing Brian play. And now I play with him and it's like.
Speaker 5: My dream, you know, still my dream to play with Brian.
Speaker 1: Have you never played with Brian?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Okay, let's make it happen.
Speaker 5: He's just a he's a magician. He's a makeup artist. He is you know what I mean. He just makes beautiful like he is.
Speaker 6: It's just he's so beautiful when you beautiful, and he's groyd and just disrespectful when you need to be when you need to be disrespectful.
Speaker 1: He will hate it hard, yes, but he's so sensitive. But I felt like that watching Chris Daves. I felt like every time he touches anything, it is it is like it's it's purposeful and it's there's something like magical about it. Absolutely, and they're so different, you know, but like, yeah, I feel like that watching him. Yeah, absolutely, Yeah, this is my dream.
Speaker 6: When I watched Brian, I love how he looks surprised. He looks surprised at things that are on the drums for me, but he'll be.
Speaker 5: Playing, he'll be playing. If he'll look at a symbol, he'd be like, yeah, yeah, yeah, did you not know that to somebody like bring it? You didn't know? Because he like he's still like a kid playing like he's so.
Speaker 1: Well, he's so reactive to everything in the moment, Like he's more in the moment than anyone I've ever.
Speaker 5: I feel ever played with. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he's so like he's like, yeah, I know this song I'm playing, Oh.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna go over here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it always it's never like ye weird. Yeah.
Speaker 6: His Fellowship Band Top five concepts I've ever seen in my life. I saw him play at the vanguard years and years and they were still doing anything.
Speaker 5: And it just puts me to tears, you know, like it's very moving, super moving.
Speaker 1: It's also very like soulful and like everything he does is with a big heart intention.
Speaker 6: I wrote this tune off of there's a tune called Cricket Creek on his album is the very first record Role and actually what you gonna wrote it?
Speaker 1: John John?
Speaker 6: Yeah, beautiful John. I love John Yeah, beautiful play. And I wrote a song. I listened to Cricket Creek so much that summer. I wrote a song off like Move on my very first album. It's a song called Mood.
Speaker 5: What a Mother?
Speaker 8: That's pretty.
Speaker 6: And I literally I wrote that song because of Cricket Caek. That's the very first tune I wrote on on the for for an album, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, oh, we're gonna have a lot of tags on this podcast, all our favorite people.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, absolutely, But it's important because you don't get a chance to really tell the story of you know, who helped you get here, where you came from. Just it could be one song from one person that meant so much, that is a part of your life and part of your whole thing, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: All my friends from high school absolutely one more Shelton Summons, Yeah, Charles Mcampbell.
Speaker 5: There you go.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, I had Kendrick Scott, I had Wattersmith.
Speaker 1: And so they were at camp too, though. Mackenzie Mackenzie mcken and I went to college with Mackenzie.
Speaker 5: Gotcha, yep, yep, that's my guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Man, it's like it's that family.
Speaker 6: Absolutely so good that you know, those performing ours high schools really shape you. They really don't realize in the moment, but it's like, yeah, they really really shape you.
Speaker 7: A shop.
Speaker 10: Shoot ship for sh.
Speaker 7: Sh sh.
Speaker 4: Shay.
Speaker 7: This a.
Speaker 4: M hm.
Speaker 1: Hm. Yes, there's nothing like those and those black.
Speaker 8: That's my favorite.
Speaker 1: Oh that was fun.
Speaker 5: About Oh that was so fun, so fun.
Speaker 1: It's amazing. I don't think we announced that last song we played, but that was Florette Afrikaan by Do Callington.
Speaker 3: Yes, and if you're wondering what the other two songs in this episode were, the first one was Reckner, a radio Head cover.
Speaker 1: Yes that he's recorded before, and the second song was Life Is Better, which is a song he wrote with Q Tip that I sang on the album version. Yeah, yeah, that was such a fun episode.
Speaker 3: So fun, you guys, I mean it really just connecting on all those different people that you have in commons so fun.
Speaker 1: That was really special actually, and just hearing him talk about people who made him who he is, it's really beautiful.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's definitely so appreciative of every person that inspired him along the way.
Speaker 1: He's such a giving person. Yeah, it's rad and we have part two coming up, so be sure to tune in for the rest, which is equally special. Yes, yeah, thank you so much for listening.
Speaker 3: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 1: This episode was recorded at Sunset Sound in Los Angeles, California, by Clint Whelander, assisted by Zach Zaidel, edited by Sarah Oda, mixed by Jamie Landry. Additional engineering by Pete Hanlon and Matthew Vasquez. Artwork by Eliza Fry, Photography by Shervin Linez. Produced by Me and Myoda. Thanks for listening. Don't forget to like and subscribe. Yo Adios Adios