Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: Everyone loves a good MVP story. In the story of Wasabi Technologies is one of the best. It's a purpose built company to free businesses from skyrocketing storage costs and unpredictable egress fees from old and top heavy legacy providers. You know, the big guys. Wassabi is the world's hottest cloud storage company, becoming the go to provider for professional and collegiate sports teams and leagues around the world. And here's why. From Wassabi's AI enabled intelligent media storage was Sabi Air to the industry's only cloud storage service with triple protection against cyber criminals, data deletion, and ransomware. Wassabi has taken the lead and driving innovation and data storage, eliminating overhead where it matters to deliver your results you can count on and won't break the bank. In fact, with Sabi's up to eighty percent less than those other guys and doesn't charge as cent for businesses to access their own data. Was Sabi another championship story check them out for it was Sabbi dot Com. Was Sabbi hot? All right, it's been a while. I'm gonna bring in John middlcough here in about ten minutes, former NFL Scout's going to join me. I haven't been on the air for a couple of days, so I don't want to get too melodramatic, but let me just explain what happened. Monday. I had some severe stomach pains. My wife had had a stomach virus and I was with her all weekend. She had it like late Saturday night. In the Sunday. I left Sunday afternoon, felt great, everything was fine. Hydrated on the flight. I don't drink on flights anymore. I used to. I think have a beer too, but I don't do that much anymore. I read an article on it not good. So I was hydrated, came home great, woke up, great night's sleep, got to work thirty minutes before the show. I had severe stomach pains. Ten minutes before the show, I asked the staff to get me ginger rail. I'd never done that before. I thought, you know what, I'll be a hero. I'll get through it. And the show started five six minutes in just melted down, got real fuzzy, very light headed. I thought I was going to throw up, and I didn't want to do that on TV. So I tossed to a break in the next hour pretty rough. Thank god Fox had a nurse in the facility, so blood pressure five or six times. Ended up crashing, taking a nap for about an hour at Fox. Eventually drove home and slept twelve and a half hours straight at one point, and I didn't want to get anybody sick with this thing, so I took Tuesday or today off, depending on when you listen to this. But I'm fine. A lot of you have had it worse than me. I actually got text by several broadcasters who had gone through this stomach virus over the last couple of weeks. It's just all through the Midwest on college campus as it's everywhere. So for me it was bastically a twenty four hour, thirty hour bug. Pretty intense, painful, but I'm fine. The issue is I wanted to spend an hour and a half just talking about Luca to the Lakers. First, I called somebody yesterday who has known Nico Harrison, the GM who made the deal, the Mavericks GM. He's known him for twenty two years, knew him when he was a long time Nike representative, big shot at Nike, And I said, you know, he made that trade deadline move last year I thought was smart. The Kyrie Irving thing was a big swing. He made some really really good moves. This team was in the finals. They weren't competitive against Boston, but they made it to the finals. What happened? And this person said, this came from above and beyond the general manager. And when you only get one first round pickback, that is somebody in ownership telling you just make the deal. Subjugate your ego, make the deal. And because I mean, no reasonable person who's smart enough to make the Kyrie Irving deal work and the trade deadline deal work last year is going to give away Luca for one draft pick and thirty one year old thirty two year old Anthony Davis. This just doesn't make sense. I said, if you'd have given away Anthony Davis three first round picks, maybe Austin Reeves, then I think you can make an argument Anthony Davis and one first round pick is not good enough, not close, and Nico Harrison's too smart. The thing it is so that is pressure from upstairs. Is this the reason Mark Cuban sold? Is this privately the reason that Mark Cuban knew that he was going to have to make this move when he sold it a year ago, because I was told by somebody I trust, the different source, but somebody I trust that this is not something that just came up in the last month. They have been troubled, missed back to back training camps, or most of them hurt on Christmas, hasn't come back, not going to be back for a few days. You know, his defense is not good, and he's so ball centric that by the playoffs he can often look like an exhausted one tentional player scoring only. And the other thing you have to think about is this the supermax contracts. You know extensions. They're a percentage of the salary cap, and depending on your accolades and what you've accumulated as a player, MVPs, multiple All Stars, and Luca's been one of the fastest stars ever, like Lebron. He's top five player instantly in the league second year. So they were looking down the barrel the new owner at seventy plus million dollars annually. Well, it's one thing if the super max was thirty million, but when you have to pay somebody three hundred and fifty million dollars guaranteed. Okay, seventy plus million annually. You start to consider everything, defense, conditioning. Are you willing to do little things off the floor? Are you totally focused in the community. I mean again, it's just like the rest of us in life. If I was making thirty million dollars a year, fifty million dollars a year in any business, they're considering everything. You're working holidays, You're never turning the phone off. I remember when I was at the other place ESPN George Bodenheimer, who I struck up a friendship with. Didn't see him a lot, but when I did, he was a very open guy, and I was just talking once about like, you know, you ever get a vacation, and you know his takeaway was sure, but the phone's never off, Like that's part of the deal. That's being a president, that's being a top fifty CEO in the country. When you start making you know, double annually, what you know the best quarterbacks in the NFL can make or in that stratosphere, seventy five million dollars a year, that's more than Patrick Mahomes is going to make annually. Everything counts, and he's a bad defensive player, increasingly hurt three calf injuries in four years, mistraining camps, seems like he plays himself in shape, never ending barking at the referees doesn't necessarily make all teammates better. You're going to consider everything. If it was thirty million dollars a year, you just sign it, you deal with it. And I think that's just the reality is the more you make in life, the more that's guaranteed. The owners of whatever business you're in have to consider a lot, and one of it is And I said this years ago with Luca. I think he's a remarkable player. This is not something they did on a whim. The Nico Harrison knows that one first round picks not enough. Now pivoting to Luca as a Laker, I don't buy for a second that he and Lebron's games don't work. First of all, Lebron and d Wade, and Luca is a much better offensive player than d Wade, not nearly the defensive player, but he's a much more difficult player to prepare for. Luca's stop and go, herky jerky style is nearly impossible to defend when he's healthy. And I'm not saying he doesn't play hurt. Murkkeith Morris acknowledging as a teammate, he does play hurt, but his style is you can't defend it. I remember his first year in the league when he averaged nineteen twenty points and Lebron James coming out and saying, like this guy is the real deal, Like this, this guy is going to be unbelievable. Next following season he was. And so Lebron playing in Miami with d Wade, their games didn't mesh. Neither was a great outside shooter. They were both just tremendous athletes who played with a relentless pace and physicality, and they made it work because d Wade and Lebron are very smart guys. You know, when Magic Johnson came to the Lakers, you know, everybody knows that Kareem was stoic and can be prickly, and Magic made it work. Great basketball players usually there's a there's a component to their basketball self awareness and their intelligence. They figure out how to make it work. Lebron's played with everybody from Matthew della Vandova to j R. Smith, the Kyrie Irving, Chris Bosh, Anthony Davis. I mean, and here's the thing. He worked with JR. Smith, kind of a scorely guy, with Kyrie Irving, high maintenance guy. He worked with Anthony Davis, who had a reputation as kind of a soft player who wasn't willing to play through injuries. He's worked with everybody. He's going to work with Luca, And you know, Lebron doesn't have a history of playing great off the ball. But you know, the truth with Luca is he's so unstoppable. Sometimes playing off the ball is just watching him hit a three, watching him score. So I think it will work. The Lakers, I do think, have a kind of a weird situation where Austin Reeves, Luca, and Lebron all kind of need the ball to be the most effective. So I could see the Lakers moving, you know, like an Austin Reeves and a pick to get a big Right now, they're going to be a bad defensive team with no size like Overnight. That's a bad defensive team. You can get away with that a little bit in a regular season. You can not get away with it in the postseason when you're playing the same team seven times. The good coaching staffs will eat you alive. It's different in the regular season. If you're playing a team comes into LA, they're tired, they played the night before. They don't get your greatest concentration or effort. In the playoffs, everybody's equally arrested. If you're bad defensively, you'll get eaten alive. I think the winner for the Lakers, beyond the fans and Lebron who you know, I would say Dalton connect is a winner. So Dalton Connect doesn't need the ball. He's a playmaker, he can create space, he can play off the ball. It'll be a Lebron Luca team. And I think Dalton Connett is a real winner here, the Tennessee rookie Tennessee volunteer rookie. I think he really fits into it. I don't know what you do with Austin Reeves. The fact that they didn't have to give away Austin Reeves is another reminder that Dallas was told to make this move. I mean again, if I've been in enough negotiations in my life to know that large companies have layers and layers and layers of attorneys and people to go through. Very rarely as an organization make a horrible trade. There's too many eyes and ears that see it and hear about it. This felt like pressure down Nico close to the deadline. Make something happen now. And you know the Lakers not only benefit from getting Luca but keeping Austin Reeves and a first round draft pick. That's insane. So the move doesn't make any sense at all. The Lakers obviously benefit. Mean, it's just interesting if you look, either through free agency or trades, the Lakers have gotten everybody from Wilt from the Sixers, Kareem from the Milwaukee Bucks in nineteen seventy one, Kobe Bryant from Charlotte Shaq and Lebron as free agents, and now Luca in a trade. I mean, it's just insane. I don't believe there's a conspiracy. And the reason I don't is why were the Nicks bad for twenty years? You know why is big market DC and big market Detroit and Atlanta and Philadelphia is underachieving. This was just this was a trade partner that Luca. They knew that they can find a trade partner because Luca is going to re sign. And you know, Dallas several years ago was interested in Anthony Davis so I'd be interested tod In Anthony Davis, I think I agree with Charles Barkley. I think for the short term, I think Anthony Davis and the Mavericks are going to be a handful. They could probably use another shot creator. Maybe that's Austin Reeves do another deal. But I think Dallas is going to be a handful. And I think that if the Lakers get a big in size in a rim defender, then they're going to be a handful as well. So I'm okay, thanks for asking, but I didn't go through anything that ninety nine percent of you haven't gone through in your lives. It's a bad stomach virus. It's all over the country, all over college campuses, and I'm fine. This isn't a little itty bitty teeny tiny bullets. The Super Bowl get it on the action a Draftking sports Book, an official sports betting partner of Super Bowl fifty nine. Scoring touchdowns is the key to hoisting the Vince Lombardi Trophy, and you have a shot to score big by betting on them at DraftKings Sports Book, the number one place to bet touchdowns. New DraftKings customers can bet just five bucks that's a bus. To get two hundred in bonus bets instantly, just download the Draftking Sportsbook app. Takes ninety seconds max. Please use the code column co l I N use that code coli in for new customers. You're going to get two hundred bucks in bonus bets and you'll get it instantly. All you have to do is bet five bucks.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: Only on Draftking Sportsbook. The Crown is yours.
Speaker 3: Gambling problem call one eight hundred gambler In New York call eight seven seven eight hope and Y, or text ope and Y four six seven three sixty nine in Connecticut. Help is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of boothilk caseena when resorting Kansas twenty one and over. Agent eligibility varies by jurisdiction Voyden, Ontario, New customers only. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuance. Four additional terms and responsible gaming resources see DKNNG, dot co, slash audio.
Speaker 2: All Right. John Middlecoff, the former NFL scout hired by Andy Reid, is already in New Orleans. I am leaving in the morning as we are doing this in the late afternoon on Tuesday. As I've overcome my very dramatic bailing on the show. We've already talked about that, and that's boring. Okay, this game comes down to a couple of things for me, So let's just do one Eagles Chiefs rant. Now we got a bunch of stuff to talk about. Is that Mahomes is seven for seven. I mean, this is the greatest that I've ever done this. Breeze and Brady were about fifty percent. Mahomes is seven for seven on game time slash game winning drives in the playoffs. Okay, seven for seven. Vic Fangio, the Eagles defensive coordinator, is o for eight against Patrick Mahomes. So we know that coaching and quarterbacking largely decides these games. The Niners outplayed and had a better roster against the Chiefs years ago, and Garoppolo missed on a deep ball. I mean, we know that Patrick Mahomes. The Eagles had them in big trouble a couple of years ago, and Mahomes came up with a huge scramble. That was the difference in the game. We know this is going to be a coach, a Spags Fangio Reid Mahomes Hurts Nick Siriani game. And that's why I favor Kansas City. You know, it's interesting. I think a lot of fans think most quarterbacks are great in crisis. We know Lamar's not. We know early Peyton Manning wasn't. We know Elway was, but went a long time before he actually won the very end of his career. When you watch Mahomes as a former scout, what makes him? I mean, a lot of guys move, a lot of guys are accurate. I mean, I could say that about Farvan Rodgers. He's perfect in these game time, game winning playoff drives as a scout. If you just watched him and you didn't know who he was playing for, like what's his secret sauce?
Speaker 1: You know? I was Actually there was an NFL player on my flight and we were delayed a long time and we were talking about him, and he was talking about the Super Bowl a couple of years ago. And when you blitz them in these big games, he kills you. I mean, we know in the regular season, but blitzes, think who he goes against every day in practice for the last six seven years. The best blitzing defensive coordinator in the history of the league. So he's very calm that way. Well, when you get pressure with just the front four, you know the h when they played Damiico Ryans in the Houston Texans and they have a good pass rush, they got two really good defensive ends. He can handle crisis when it's just four coming and it's his offensive line. Colin. It's not exactly like Tony Basselli and Larry Allen were blocking for him this year. So they were winning games off season long, playing in pretty chaotic situations. They were not an explosive offense. They could not really protect him. But he can protect himself. And I don't know if it goes back to you know, I had a front row seat for many years in the Bay Area of Clay and Steph. Those guys kind of grew up around it, and they were just a little more to him with the lights being the brightest because they had been that way since they were five six years old going to these arenas. And you have to wonder with Patrick Mahomes. I saw a picture a Rod holding him. You know, when Patrick was like five years old, Like Patrick's kind of used to these and listen, baseball when he was growing up was a pretty big deal. So his dad. You know a lot of people when you bring up mahomes to older people, they know him. But yeah, that really is Yeah. So I think there's just a natural calmness. And then you know he's playing for I've been saying it for a while. The chubby. I used to call him the chubby Bill Walsh. But have you seen Coach Reed. He's eating healthy, he's slimmed down.
Speaker 2: You know what you brought up. Something that's really interesting for our listeners and our viewers to this is that I told somebody a couple of years ago, I said, man, this brought Bauers kid. Here's why I know he's going to be great because every day at Georgia practice, he's going up against first round corners and safeties. Every day is an NFL practice at Georgia. That's why you have to question. I mean, khalil Ma's been great out a Buffalo, but when Trey Lance comes out of a smaller school, or a player that comes out of a smaller university like the gend the running back for Boise state. Your takeaway is, Okay, maybe he has one big game against a good school, but what happens when you're on the road for a quarterback, or you're on the road and playing in front of eighty thousand against NFL people. So brock Bowers, by the time he got to the NFL, I mean, most of the defenses aren't as good as Georgia was his last year in college, and he was eating I mean even as a freshman at a Napa high school. I'm watching him, I'm like, this kid's just dominant in the SEC. Who you go against, Well, you mentioned something about Mahomes going up against spags, and I think it's a great point, don't We both probably acknowledge now that the reason Brady was so efficient and sharp against mixed coverages is because Belichick at practice. I mean, just think about that when you go when you're a great high school football player, and a lot of these great high school football players they transfer, Like in LA there's like four really well known high schools, Damatha, right, these kind of grade schools. Well, because you're dominating lesser competition. So then you go to practice and you go to Damatha or something, one of these top schools. Maybe it's Hoover and Alabama. Well, now you're competing every day against Division one players when you're seventeen eighteen nineteen, so you're ready to play at Georgia Alabama LSU when you come on as a freshman. And I think this is the unspoken part about Mahomes that you touched down touchdown. He has spags every day experimenting, and I think it sharpens his knife.
Speaker 1: Think about when Brady really popped, you know, I think Peyton Manny, he's compared to a lot. Their paths were very they weren't similar at all. I mean Peyton kind of by a second year was hitting the ground running and he carried that franchise for a long period of time. Brady for the first four or five years. Every day in practice, Mike Rabel, Teddy Bruski, Rodney Harrison, A Sante Samuel, right, I mean, think of all the good Richard Seymour. I mean that's what he really honed his g from two thousand and one to two thousand and six, and then he really popped, oh seven on when they brought it and he became Peyton Manning. I can carry the offense and carry the franchise, So it definitely matters. Why are physical teams physical? Well, because you want to go Why could Alabama always run it down people's throat? Well, they were going up against the best defense. Same with Kirby smart. Why are Jim Harbaughs offense is always able to run the ball and always tough? Well, look at his defense. I remember going to his practice against Vic Fangio and thinking, well, this offense. You know, with Alex and Kaepernick, they had some issues throwing the ball, but they always could run the ball. Why because in practice to run it on Patrick, Willis Navarro bowman, Justin Smith navarroal bowman and Olden Smith and all these guys, I mean, it's hard to get a yard. So the games are easy. And I can't even imagine the last couple of years of practice for Patrick Mahomes. Just can you imagine as over the next Like, one thing's pretty clear about Andy Reid. He will acquire better players moving forward, and they already they feel like they like Xavier Worthy a lot. Well, don't be shocked if you know Travis gonna retire. They'll add another tight end, They'll add a running back. He will have a second iteration of skill guys, and he will be on a whole nother level mentally because physically, I mean's thirty years old, he's in the prime of his physical life. So mentally, watch out you're getting. And that's what you've got Peyton Manning tom Brady's and that's been the difference of him in Josh and Lamar. I mean, you've been watching football longer than me, but Josh and Lamar two of the more pure talents in.
Speaker 2: The histeas league or no, no questions.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean they've just run into a guy and a coaching staff that's kind of mastered their career.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, think about this. Mahomes didn't get more athletic, he didn't get a stronger arm. What has Mahomes done over the last two years. He's gotten much more efficient, much greater on my third down? Why Well, because he doesn't have the escape route. He doesn't have Tyreek Hill. So Mahomes as this Chief's defense has been drafted and developed and has become a monster the last two to three years to practice. I mean when he came into the league, he had Tyreek Hill and the Chiefs defenses were okay. Now they're great and so I think I think practice matters, and I think that's you know. I mean, I think if you watched the Ohio State this year, and I want to pivot to that Ohio State, the Chip Kelly, we got a lot of things to talk about. We can come back to the super Bowl. But it was interesting if you watched the Ohio State, they were the most expensive team money could buy in college football, and again they practiced against each other and by the end of the year, they were just a really well oiled physical machine. And I think some of that comes back to facing each other. You know. It's funny. During Alabama's fifteen year dynasty, I only thought maybe one of their teams was one of the best I've ever seen. I thought it was the greatest overall dynasty, but I didn't think they had some of the best teams. I think the best SEC team I've ever seen is the Joe Burrow LSU team that I mean literally had like eight good pros. Now they didn't have as good a coach, but I thought that was the most talented team I'd ever seen out of the SEC was the LSU Joe Burrell team. And I thought the USC teams with Pete Carroll were all time stuff. I thought there were a couple of Miami Hurricane teams that I thought were all time stuff. I didn't think the Clemson teams were all time stuff or most of Saban's. I do think the Spurs historically were underrated because I think Mano Genobli's the best sixth man in league history. You had Tony Parker was a perennial All Star running the show. Tim Duncan was the great fundamental and one of the great coaches. I always thought those teams were better Bruce Bowen. They just had a lot of really smart, high IQ players in close games, but they never won back to back, so I didn't think they're one of the great teams. Shaq and Kobe. Yes, I don't think the Miami heatwore they were small. I mean, if you remember, it was like Joe l Anthony E, Donnis Haslin were they're bigs. Chris Bosh was, you know, pushed out to shoot, you know, corner threes. So not every team dynasty is great. New England's most talented teams had Randy Moss and they didn't win a Super Bowl. So I don't when I look at New England's all time teams. I think they're the best coach and quarterback. If the Chiefs won three in a row, where do we put them as an all time great team. So I grew up with the Steelers in the in the seventies where there was no mobility. They had like eight Hall of Famers. They were there forever they had like a three year run. You couldn't score on them. There were some Raider teams, the Kenny Stabler Raider teams that were insane. That just I mean, I can still name the players. It can go Cliff Branch.
Speaker 1: It was insane. I remember them.
Speaker 2: It's it's just from the Art Shells and Villa pianos and Matuzas and Cliff Branch and John jim Otto and Dave Casper and shit man. It was like every unit had a Hall of Famer. You don't get that now. I think the Niners and the Cowboys their last like those those Bill Watsh Joe Montana Niner teams were stacked. Jimmy Johnson a couple of those Cowboy teams. Those are different. I kind of put the Patriots in New England. What's available with today's salary cap dynasty which is best coach, best quarterback, arguably on the opposite side of the head coach, best coordinator, a little undervalued in terms of roster composition, tremendous, circumstantially tremendous in the red zone, offense and defense. But I don't think the Chiefs, I think they're more entertaining than the Patriots. I don't consider them. I don't consider this one of the great teams.
Speaker 1: I've ever watched.
Speaker 2: If they win a third.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean from a roster standpoint, they wouldn't. I mean that the team that I kind of grew up on was more Steve Young. But in ninety four they signed Deon Sanders in the peak of his powers, and they somehow had a top ten pick, and they drafted Bryant Young, who was the rookie of the year. So they added Deon Sanders Bryan Young to Jerry Raiz, Steve Young, Brent Jones. It was an unfair team. Yeah, you know, I mean, Ken Norton, Erick Davis, like they were those individual nineties roster Cowboys and Niners. Even the FARV team with FARV in the peak of his powers, with Reggie White. I mean, so listen, what Andy's doing he's gonna go. If they win this, it's the greatest run I think of I've seen in my life. I mean, this would be their four super Bowl in what five years or six years, they've won three in a row. I don't think that ever happens again. And I think we throw that out a lot. Never gonna happen again, never gonna happen again. Like, I don't think that's ever happening again. If he wins this game, I mean, it's insane that he's even got to this point. I mean last year he was an underdog twice on the road at Buffalo and Lamar, two Hall of Fame quarterbacks and beat him both. And then the Niner team who was awesome last year, is like a defining moment for the era. I think winning those three straight games Buffalo, Baltimore and the forty nine ers, Like he wins this game, that's awesome. It was more impressive. What they did last year was kind of to me, the icing on the cake and everything is just kind of cherries and sprinkles on top. Since like last year was an all timer, the ninety eight Bulls, who they literally did a documentary for, Like when you watch highlights of Michael moving around. You're like Google night or YouTube nineteen ninety one, Michael running around. It's not even close, but you get more credit because you have the build up. Tiger Woods won the US Open in two thousand and eight with a torn acl and a broken lake like that wasn't the best version of them, but that adds to kind of the legend of sports, right Michael George Tom Brady coming back from twenty eight three, Right, Like you said, the teams were much more explosive. Now it is a team game, right, So in seven and in twenty eleven, you could argue those teams were more explosive, but their team wasn't as good as some of the latter years, with the Attleman's, the mccordy's, the High Towers, the Cronx. That's what I would say about this Chiefs team. They are a complete unit. They're not the sexiest, they don't have Jerry Rice running out, they don't have you know, McDuffie's a good player. He's no one's gonna confuse him with you know, Deon Sanders or Darrell Reeves. But they are a championship unit. I think they've become kind of what Alabama's teams, not all of them were the same. But if you were gonna beat him in a big game, you better bring your a game because they had just the championship mojo, the championship medal. I just can't bet like this Eagles team is loaded. I mean, if Jalen just plays okay, which he's it's if you put Patrick Mahomes on this Eagles team, I think the Eagles be favored by a touchdown.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think I would take Philadelphia to blow him out. You know, there's a there's some numbers on Jalen Hurts, And this is another reason I liked Kansas City. When Jalen Hurts doesn't face pressure, he's a top five quarterback in the league. When he does, he's like thirtieth. So when you get him to be pressured, well, Spags from the second, third, and fourth quarters this year creates top ten, top five, top six pressures in the league. So the key to the game is can Spags create pressure because on Jalen Hurts. If they can, they win the game. Because Jalen Hurts and Greg co Salzman saying that this to me all year, the film doesn't lie. He's a pretty average pocket passer. If you put pressure on him, he deteriorates very quickly.
Speaker 1: And aj wasn't reading the book on the sideline randomly. I mean, he's trying not to smash. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So in the end, I think it comes down to, you know, if I'm I know what Kansas City's going to try to do. They'll bring some surprises offensively and special teams. They're going to try to put pressure on Jalen Hurts. Meanwhile, Philadelphia can't you If you bring any sort of blitz package on Mahomes, he'll eat you alive. So you just have to hope you win one on one battles, which they're certainly capable of. But they do have rookie corners and rookie corners and big Scott's big spots, you know. Can I think Andy probably looks at Philadelphia's secondary and thinks, boy, these guys are talented, and boy these guys are really young. And I mean that that to me is Kansas City's game plan. Attack the young corners, make them earn their pay, give them, you know, multiple sets, throw things at them they have not seen practice, and catch them off guard.
Speaker 1: I think the one thing is that the Chiefs, or excuse me, the Eagles went healthy have the best offensive lind in the league. I mean, you know Lane Johnson's Hall of Famer My lat is one of the greatest seventh round Australian stories in the history of the league. But you know in that NFC Championship game, what happened They had two centers. I mean one guy's a guard who had to bump the center who are injured. One has a back and one has a knee. Now I would imagine they're both gonna try to play. I would say it's a fifty to fifty chance one of them. Just Rea, I mean, you're in the trenches against Chris Jones. What if all of a sudden Cam Jurgen's back tightens up, or Landon Dickerson's knee feels a little weird. That could get weird fast, and all of a sudden you've got a domino effect inside and then spagg just attacks. But the Eagles went healthy are equipped just with the size and how talented they are, and god her who's a really all around good tight end to in theory handle it. But Jalen is just you just never know what you're gonna get. You know, you saw Washington, which he had best game of the season. Whyh is not very good on defense. I mean, so it's just look at them against Green Bay, who is a solid defense, right. And the other thing is the Chiefs. I have a hard time seeing Saquon bust a couple forty to fifty er runs against them. They're the best tackling team in the league, like all eleven other guys. Most teams they're front seven tackles right their d linebackers. All the Chiefs dvs hit all of them. Is what the Niners have had over the Kyle Shanahan era. When your corners and your safeties all tackle like linebackers, you're pretty hard to play because while I'm not decapitating you John Lynch style nineteen ninety six, I'm still hitting you really really hard. And that's what the Chiefs do a really good job of. So to me, there's a physicality element, and that's in the post Tyreek Kill era because remember when they beat the forty nine ers, their defense is fags. He just got there. The defense was kind of in question. It has become, you know, it's a new school defense because we don't play like we once did, but in terms of physicality, they are easily one of the more physical teams in the league. And to me, it's like, saque you're not doing anything on us. Jalen beat us, and in theory he should be able to beat him because he has aj Brown and Devonte Smith. I mean, the two guys make two hundred million dollars. But it's just it. Jees probably feel pretty good that McDuffie can at least handle one of them right and just keep him in front of them, And then it's can the other guy make a lot of big plays? And Goddard the Chiefs have been a little susceptible over the middle of the field because I mean, you're just gonna have some openings in the defense. And Goddard is we don't talk about him like we do the Kelsey's the Kittles like he's pretty damn good. So I mean, I'd look for Goddard if you tell me the Eagles win. I think it's less likely that Saquon goes for like one hundred and fifty yards. I think it's more likely, like I see Dallas Goddard having one hundred and twenty yards in a couple of touchdowns.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Goddard and the McBride from Arizona are the two tight ends in the league that get overshadowed that are just fantastic players. They are wildly productive, and they're very good in big spots, big third downs and big spots. So chip Kelly gets six million dollars to go to the Raiders, and I've got to tell you, I don't mean to be a sucker, but Pete Carroll chip Kelly, if they get a quarterback, and I do believe that a Riley Leonard Kyle McCord in the second to third round could actually end up falling to good teams and actually being decent franchise quarterbacks. But I kind of looked at the Raiders and I have Max Crosby on my show Thursday at the Super Bowl, and I'm like, am I nuts to think that they're going to be viable next year if they get Shador Sanders and he can play. I mean, they have both their tackles to have their center.
Speaker 1: I got to push back here, Collin six million dollars, Vic Fangio, I would walk into Howie Roseman's room right now and say I can't coach the Super Bowl till I make twenty I mean Chip Kelly to be six million dollars, and honestly, that just shows it wasn't dead set on leaving Ryan Day. He was making two and a half three million dollars at Ohio, say so, the highest paid coordinator as we know, Liam Cohen just got four and a half. He obviously became the head coach, but that was the going that was the highest paid non head coaching coordinator. It took six million dollars to convince. So clearly Chip had to be like truly bought to show up because they don't have a quarterback and Shadoor. You know, there are like physical limitations to you know, one thing Chip likes is a running quarterback or a mobile court. That's not really Shadoor. I think people think that because of Dion and Brock's a stud. But their skill, guys, you know, Jacobs is gone, devolo receiver. They got a long way to go. The other thing. I wonder and people just think I'm a Chip hater. I do not care. Honestly, Pete chip Kelly at this point in time, sixty years old, bit a ton of money like big ego. Pete obviously big well accomplished. That's kind of a unique It's one thing if they knew each other and worked kind of a unique setup here. You know, I thought Pete would, if not go back to the well, get kind of a younger guy that let's face it, Pete's gonna want to play defense and run the ball. Now in theory, you know, Chip likes to run the ball as well. This year he was kind of forced because their receivers were so good. But I just wonder the dynamics of those two guys. Look at Pete's offensive coordinators in the pros at least, there's a lot of Bevils, Schottenheimers, guys who were clearly not even close on Pete's level. And I'm not saying Chip is because he hasn't accomplished what Pete has, but just in terms of his name recognized, like he's pretty famous. So that's something to me, Like, I get it. They wanted to take a BIX. They interviewed him last year, remember with Antonio Pierce, and they didn't go. I just it's a lot of money. I think that's one of those way Chip Kelly is resetting the market. I thought that was kind of crazy because also It just shows that he didn't really want the job, but they made an offer so big he couldn't turn down. So, like, is his heart really in it? Did he want a Lebo house day? I think look at the defense as to he played the other thing with Jim Who do they lose to really badly this year? Michigan, Well, who's their coordinator? An NFL guy Week Martindale. Because physical defenses can slow down his offense historically has when he tries to run the ball, Well, he's going on because Jim Harball, who's always giving him trouble. Sean Payton's defense were the best in the league, and obviously Andy reeed. So it's that's a division for his offense that obviously has changed over time. He's not just gonna run it down people's throats, right, he didn't call it. I think he's gonna be a pretty big challenge. Sexy headline. I don't know. I got that one reflect and I like what they're doing. You know, spy Tech's a good higher. I get the Raiders a lot of credit. Pete Carroll real higher. This was just a little weird. It's a little little off the beaten path. I just sometimes those in the NFL, I think we all know don't always work.
Speaker 2: I talked about how obviously there was pressure down ownership to the GM at Dallas to trade Luca, otherwise you'd get far more than one great player in one draft pick. Miles Garrett says, I want out like Luca. He is a phenomenon once in a franchise talent. You don't get another Lawrence Taylor of the New York Giants, like that's one. You don't get another Miles Garrett with the Cleveland Browns. He'll be the best pass rusher you'll ever have. He wants out. Who jumps out to you? Because Miles is a game changer. He is literally one of the five defensive players in the league that's just not blockable, like a Chris Jones who can move around, Max Crosby, TJ. Watt when he's healthy, Patrick Sir Tan, There's a handful of guys, they're just different. Who jumps out to you with Miles Garrett.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I even go for I think he's one of the most talented guys of the last twenty five years. You know, and you talk about Luca knock on Luca, which is kind of stupid. I mean, I've watched some fat and score fifty points, but he's out of shape. That is not a question with allows here. I mean, you remember that that video of him playing basketball, and this Brown's like, we got to pull it back. He looked like an NBA player. I did a little recon tried to compare him to what he would be. Like. You know, when Reggie White left the UH Eagles Philadelphia Eagles to side with them Packers, he was thirty two years old. He was older. Now, part of that was the USFL, but he went on to have, I mean a Hall of Fame career for the Packers, right Pro Bowl every year. So if you look at it like that, a guy in great shape, he clearly takes his craft. Like I think they would get multiple first round picks, but you also got to give him probably one hundred and fifty million dollars. So to me, it's a lot of NFC teams, Packers, Washington. I think the Lions have to sniff around a lot forty nine ers in theory, but like I I just think that they got some other needs in the sense of like can they just use their draft picks when they're paying all these Washington kind of complicated. Yeah to me, Washington, I think you think long and hard. But if you got to give two ones and a two and a player like he's going to get a historic call, even at twenty nine years old. I think it's difficult when you're just in year one, when you still need some of these picks, Like ideally you like to just buy players on the open market, but you're having a long conversation, you know. And I think the quarterback showed so much this year you'd have to highly entertain John.
Speaker 2: I think we have to consider this too. It is an abnormally weak draft. And I've said this, I would be much more willing to give a first round pickup this year than last year.
Speaker 1: And they're picking what twenty seven, you know, because they were in the NFC championship game, so it's not even a higher Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I just think, yeah, this is one of these years. I said, this is this, this is the year if you really need now. It's a good year for edge rushers in the draft. It's funny. I don't think it's a bad draft. I just think it's a lot of second round players. I think there's about seven to eight great players and then it's just a bunch of second and early third round players for the next forty picks. But there is no Miles Garrett in this draft. So if you're a team that really wants to make a splash, I mean, you know, the Rams went out and they got a von Miller and look at the Eagles have done this. They go out and just buy players. I think, I mean that it's in the NBA. Every other draft is a week draft. It's very rare when you have these days, a really strong draft because the college, you know, g league is stealing so many players. Somebody come from the international ranks that we don't know much about. I mean, we didn't know Luca was going to be this. We just knew he was young and played well against European pros. So I think I think I would. I mean, if I was a team and had to give up a one in a two for Miles Garrett and a player, I would. I just don't think there's anything on the market like him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Cleveland's going to be in the position unlike the Matt Bricks. Well, I don't think you can trade him for anything less than like a historic hall, you know, like Russell like a quarterback level hal you know, you're talking multiple ones the two some players because they're in a weird spot, right because the Sean Watson contract is kind of an acre on the franchise, so you have to entertain trading him. But I don't think he can just give him away, like you know, DeVante and Tyree were traded for like a one in a two like that wouldn't be enough. So and I think the bidding process all it takes is three or four teams. I think they would whatever they would ultimately yet would be pre eye opening. And I think he would immediately sign the largest contract in the history of the NFL for a non quarterback with whoever trade it for. Uh.
Speaker 2: By the way, Fubo, as you guys know, is my favorite thing, my favorite app to use, NFL, NBA. Go to Fubo dot com slash colin. I love it. I'm on it constantly. I'm flying to New Orleans tomorrow, I'm flying back from New Orleans over the weekend, I will be on Fubo dot com.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: It's just so easy to access, and a lot of airlines these days they don't have they don't have TVs. I fly a lot of American airlines. They don't have even up front. I mean I may get a shrimp cocktail and you don't, but I don't get a TV. So Fubo dot com slash Colin. I love it. I use it constantly. I used it flying back from Chicago. Always delivers college pro sports everything. They got new shows, they got, they got comedies. Fubo dot com slash Colin. So, uh, the Cooper Cup is interesting, so listen. It was very obvious if you watch the Rams, the Rams have told Cooper Cup you're out. He immediately went to social media to complain to Curry some favor and some sympathy.
Speaker 1: I get it. What would I missed that one?
Speaker 2: He basically said this. I don't agree with this. I thought I was going to end my career with the Rams. The Rams have notified me they're going to trade or look to trade me immediately. Listen. I really trust Sean McVay, and they just did not use him down the stretch at all. And he was a block He was a blocker, and I had heard last year that he just couldn't weak to week. He couldn't play back to back like if he if he played on a hard surface. He was he was just not going to And I haven't looked up the data, but I was told last year they would have moved him last year if they could have. But the season, Remember they caught fire at the end of the season, and then everybody's like, well, let's you know, Pookah's a rookie, but Pooka is getting a little dinged up as well. They need to tight end and a receiver in this draft class, so they're going to be aggressive in the draft on that. Is there a market for Cooper cup He's expensive. If Sean McVay bails on somebody. This is why I always said when Kyle Shanahan bailed on Trey Lance and the Cowboys gave him a four, just use your head. Kyle makes everything work at quarterback. Like that's just the dumb move by Steven and Jerry Jones doesn't make any sense. If Sean McVay is out, I mean on a wide receiver or a running back like Cam Akers, he's like, I'm out, Well, Cam Akers is irrelevant or mostly irrelevant. Now, I don't know. I don't think Cooper Cuff has a market well.
Speaker 1: To me, the problem is is these older veteran players. He makes twenty million dollars and he's a thirty one year old guy who's been banged up these last three years, So you can't like these type players get cut like Cooper. I didn't see the social media posts, but they were floating it out last year during the season. This isn't shocking. You're making twenty million dollars next year, and guess what, no one's trading anything of value for a thirty one year old who's making twenty million dollars. Who great guy. I mean, in the peak of his powers was Super Bowl MVP. Awesome player. But when you start getting injured and your production dips and you make a lot of money. This happens every time. Right before free agency, these guys get released because I think another team goes maybe we strike oil and get him for four million dollars and he gives us seventy five eighty catches, but we're paying five million dollars for that, not twenty. So I think the Rams know what's inevitable, and that is cutting him because you can't even eat enough money to trade him, like they couldn't eat five million dollars. Who wants him for fifteen. Like to me, again, I'm educated. Guess I'd say he's under a five million dollar player right now based on his age and the injuries. Now, I was thinking about this the other day. Some of the bad teams, you know, like the Raiders, the Patriots, you get a guy who's a super Bowl champion, who's a high character work ethic, you bring him in, do you overpay? I remember when I was in the Bay, Reggie McKenzie bought Jordi Nelson, who was shot. But he wants that type person in there. So maybe his market for crappy teams is higher. But if you're him, wouldn't you rather go play for a good team who don't like the Howie Roseman's and the Goutikins. They're gonna try to get you for two million dollars? So maybe the Patriots overpay you those type teams for like six or seven. And that's where you're to me, he's got one year contract. Bad teams maybe overpay for the guy. Good teams underpay for hopefully a one year wonder situation. But conn he's been really banged up. I mean, he is just and it's a testament to the way he played because he he's closer to like Deebo Samuel in terms of taking hits. And he's a physical guy. You know, he's not your typical like Edelman. I mean he's going over the middle, getting crushed, getting right back up takes a toll. I admire the player, but I have seen this situation a million times. This guy usually gets released, all right.
Speaker 2: So I touched on it at the very beginning. If you ever had I almost passed out the ear day on TV. I'm fine, it's.
Speaker 1: Okay, Colin. I was watching it live. I almost fell off the StairMaster. I immediately started texting all your producers. I said, what just happened? Because I knew something was You were five minutes into your segment, so I you know, I'm I'm in the business long enough to know that's not normal. And then you know, we had twenty minutes as I was worried about you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's the nurse came in. Fox has you know, medical personnel on site. The nurse came in and took my blood pressure and she's like, yeah, you're white and that's really low, so we need to lay down. And I was fine, it's I've I've passed out once in my life before. Have you ever passed out? It's not great. You can feel it coming. You can feel it coming. It's like, okay, Now, this one, I didn't pass out. I got close to it, but I the one I did before, I don't. I just banged my head on granite, had a big cut. I think people have seen that before. This one. I felt really close, but then I got on my knees. The first thing I thought was get on your knees. You don't want to do a face plant because the set is about four.
Speaker 1: Off the chair.
Speaker 2: And I thought, get down to the ground, get on your knees, get close, get to it. And uh, And I didn't. But it was you know, listen for five minutes. It was Harry people sent Uh. It was interesting. I had three or four different broadcasters go, Clay Travis text me, He's like, dude, Friday on the air. It hit me in the last hour. He goes, I know what you're going through. He goes, I was lost. It just everything was fuzzy, and so I was. So I had a couple of different broadcasters go, dude, I've I have the same flu and I know what you're going through. So that that part consoling me felt pretty good. But it's life. It happens. It's uh, I'm going to New Orleans now, your first night in New Orleans to night for you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess I'm right across. I was just texting Buddy on the Chiefs their hotels right next to me. Just got here. Uh, probably a couple hours ago, not even hour and a half. Agouh. So Mike, go get some some cocktails a night with some of the personnel people on on the two teams. You know, there's a lot of carry over here. You know, I worked with a lot of people that now work for the Chiefs but were with the Eagles, and still some of those same Eagles. This is there's a lot of you know, how he was the GM when I was there, so all these guys know each other. Obviously Andy Howie was Andy's GM. It's kind of crazy that this has happened now two out of three years. Yeah. I think two years ago you felt like, you know, it was a big deal for Andy. This is the team that fired him. I think at this point in time it's just a little more like another team. But I mean this is still the team that kind of put him on the map, so it's I think Brandon Graham and Brandon Graham's the only remaining player that when he was there, so uh yeah, it's just it's a pretty cool I mean what you know, when I was with Coach Reed, people forget it was clear like how he was this young, dynamic like just ambitious. Watch out he's coming. But you know, Coach Red, there's a lot of negativity around him at the time, bad game manager, could never win the big one. And at the time, like John Harball was a star, that was his guy. Ron Rivero was coaching like that was his guy. Sean McDermott would go on later with Raw it was clear like Andy was pretty damn good and I think you look back, you go, well, he had Donovan mcdabb who is a good player, but no one's comparing him to Patrick Mahomes, Mike Vick. The one year we had him, he just he's just kind of reckless, right, he'd get hurt. He was smaller, but he was an awesome talent. And Aaron Rodgers beat us in the playoffs and that was the year he won the Super Bowl, and that bet Aaron Rodgers. Em Clay Matthews had some really good players, but I think you know, the Kansas City situation, it's I mean, he's talked about like Bill Walsh, now, I mean he's that's the kind of the people forget too. Bill Walsh didn't win five Super Bowls. Bill Walsh retired after a third. George Seaffert won two, you know. So you know, Andy's this his six super Bowl you know. And Howie's I think well established himself as not just one of the best, if not the best GM in the league. I mean he's one of the best gms in sports. I can't even when he looked at that Luca trade value. His big thing is value. You know. That's the thing why he's so good in the draft or so good in free agency. He just under stands price points, what I have to pay to get you, what I have to trade, what's a good trade. He's so connected with agents and other gms. He's got like a Billy Bean quality. He's just smart and he's just go, go, go getter. So it's it's a small world, you know. I Mean that time obviously changed my life in a weird way of letting me here, but uh yeah, it's a it's a cool game. I'm glad you're okay, though. I mean, that was like I text you, you know a lot of jobs if you're a football coach and you start feeling that way, you know, just banging out film, you can just lay down you're live on air. I mean, were you looking and realizing, can I go five more minutes you try to finish the segment. Were you're thinking that in the back of your head with like a minute before you really.
Speaker 2: I was about six eighteen and I looked at the clock and I thought, I got to get to ten. And at six twenty eight, I'm like, nope, I'm gonna pass out or puke. I gotta go. So at six eighteen, I looked at the clock and I know I was in trouble. And then I just thought I'm going to get through it. And ten seconds later I was like, oh boy, I'm sweating. It's bad. So it happens.
Speaker 4: What do they say, what do they say? Just stomach bug y, stomach virus. My wife had it. I got it, and she had it for three days. I had it for one and then I just slept for a day and I'm fine, that's good, A right, buddy, good talking.
Speaker 1: I'll see you more. The volume