Speaker 1: What you really need to know about the biggest password breach ever, why the web browser you use actually matters, how to prepare for Amazon's biggest Prime Day yet. Plus your tech questions answered. What's going on. I'm Rich Demiro and this is Rich on Tech. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe the tech should be interesting, useful, and fun. But when something deserves a little criticism, I will not hold back. I'm here to give you the clarity and perspective you need in our fast changing world. Phone lines are open at triple A rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one eight eight eight rich one oh one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology. Email is also open. Just go to richon Tech dot tv hit contact, send your message right there. We've got some great guests this week. Adrian Lemao, ching CEO of Clicks, is going to join us to talk about their breakout keyboard case. Yes, you can add a physical keyboard to your smartphone, and they are doing it. We'll talk about that and later in the show. Molly defranc She will join me to talk about taking control of screen time in your family. She's the author of Digital Detos. Got the book right here, the two week Tech Reset for Kids. Yes, many families out there need that. I know that for a fact. Well, welcome once again to the show. Thanks for joining me, and thanks for streaming the first part of the show on the KTLA plus app. This week took me to Mexico City for a brand new tech show. It's called Electronics Home. Now I'm back in the studio, but I just got back from Mexico City. Just to be clear, it's called Electronics Home. This is the first year they did this show. The organizers asked if they can bring me down to Mexico City. I said, sure, why not. I've never been there before. And I think that the more you experience travel and the more you experience the world, the better perspective you have on just about everything, including technology and personally. I love to travel because it always forces me to try new things with technology and to check out new gadgets and to just see what it's like to make your way around this world. The group behind this show has been running a major electronics show in Brazil for the past two decades. They recently expanded into Argentina and now Mexico City, so they have a trifecta of Latin America. Now. The show itself was very small, really small, compared to something like CS in Las Vegas or IFA in Berlin, both shows that I've attended, and it's a start. Now. Many of the companies were from China that were exhibiting their products. There were a few from Europe and the US as well. But the big takeaway for me many but number one, Mexico is an emerging market. People there are getting disposable income, so more people are spending money. That means opportunity. But here's the thing. Price still matters more than brand for a lot of consumers there. That's a challenge if you're a premium brand going into a market because think about it, why would you spend fifty dollars as a consumer in Mexico on a charging cable when you know you can get one for five And so that's the challenge of these brands here. They're working to educate consumers explaining, hey, we've got stuff that's better quality. It means it's going to be longer lasting. It's going to be safer for your other tech products out there. So that was one thing I saw. The other is that some of these brands, like a Mofi are doing a sub brand like a Mofi Essentials, which is, you know a little bit of a I guess like a maybe not lesser quality, but it maybe has a few less features than the main brands so that they can charge less but still get that good brand. Tariffs, of course another hot topic. I asked just about every company there about them. Now, these companies aren't scared of tariffs in general because they're very used to them. Tariffs have been around forever, that is not a new concept. What bothered the CEOs and the people I spoke with is the unpredictability that they're seeing right now. It's really hard to plan when you don't know if the tariff is going to be ten percent next week or forty percent, and that uncertainty is what's leading to a lot of stress, especially as we head into the holidays. How much is my pricing going to be for a particular product now. As for Mexico City itself, I was really impressed. This is a massive historical city with lots of energy. I had no idea going there that it was like on top of a mountain range or whatever, so really high elevation. It's actually higher than Denver, over seven thousand feet compared to you know, we know Denver. Remember back to great school math. What's a mile hundred and eighty feet high mile high city? There you go, it's higher than Denver. Now, I felt it only on my run. When I took a run and I was like, oh, I'm breathing heavy. That's when I realized the air was really thin. The people are great in Mexico City. The food is awesome and your money goes very far there. The most expensive meal I think I had was about thirty five dollars. That was at it like what I would consider a tourist trap. And yes I did try grasshoppers. Grasshoppers on guacamole. I don't I mean, look, I had to do it. I'm in you know, when in Rome, right in this case Mexico City. Let's see what else I walked everywhere. I took ubers. They were also cheap. I went to the Wahwei store, so they've got their version of Rodeo drive. And of course I had to check out the Wahwei store because we can't have Huahwei here in the US. And I'm not kidding you walk into this store. If I blindfolded you and walked you into this store and took off the blindfold and I said where are you, you would say, oh, I'm in an Apple store and wrong answer. No, you were in Ahahwei store. It looks identical, like literally someone just came here to the US took pictures of the Wahwei store or the Apple store and said, yeah, just make that and so yes, a little bit of a copycat. But the phones, I will tell you, I checked out the cameras really impressive. Like it's incredible how many choices of smartphones they have in overseas places like Europe and Mexico and China compared to the US and the US we are pretty much limited to Samsung, Apple, Pixel and Motorola is like probably a tiny bit of the market. But in other countries you've got all these other brands opo zte a SEUs or is it a a sir Huaweih of course, I mean really a lot of brands out there. But what strikes me every time I travel is just how much tech has transformed the game. So I can't remember the last time I needed cash in a country that I went to. Because you can use tap to pay for just about everything, you don't need to trans convert your cash anymore. I didn't need a new simcard, so I recently switched to a phone plan that now includes international roaming, which is really convenient. I don't have to do anything, just turn on my phone. Now, you do pay more per month, so I do not recommend you switch to a plan that has international roaming unless you travel abroad a lot. Otherwise you're paying every month a little bit more for that, you know, for that service, So you don't necessarily need that unless you're traveling a lot. And e SIM is a great bet. I tested out two of them while I was in Mexico, Aerolow, which I've talked about many times on the show, and then a new one called Saley s Ai L s A I L E Y s A I L E Y s AI L why Sale And they both worked great. And like I said, Tap to pay is everywhere, so use that. Lean on that. Make sure your card, whatever card you're using, does not charge foreign transaction fees. So an Apple Wallet is something else I figured out. If you want to change your default card that pops up when you tap to pay, just slide it to the front. So literally just press and hold it in your Apple Wallet and slide it to the front and that will be your default card. Took me a bit to figure that one out. Android, you can just go into the card and press set as default. Now, when it comes to currency conversions, you can also do that right on your phone. This was another thing I figured out. On the iPhone. You can swipe down and you can just type in like two hundred and forty pass and it'll convert it instantly into dollar, So that was pretty cool. They also have built in conversions in the Calculator app. Look in the lower left hand corner. You tap the little calculator icon. It says do conversions. You tap that and boom, No need to download anything extra Now an Android, I recommend the XE app that'll do conversions pretty easily. Other travel tips I picked up add a widget to your home screen with your time zone back home to make it easy to know what time it is back home. Download offline maps before you travel so that you can navigate even if you don't have service, Like there may come a time when you're going from the airport to your hotel and you don't have service or connectivity just yet because maybe you haven't gotten your eSIM activated or whatever. You might need to navigate download those offline maps. That is great. Now the other big thing, and this is a really pro tip that I've took me a while to figure this one out, but when you go to a different country and you search on Google for the first time, it's going to change your region to that country. And what does that mean? All of your search results are going to come up in my case as Mexico search results right or whatever country you're in, like you might be in Italy and get Italian search results. That's not going to be very helpful for you as an American. So what you want to do is go into your Google account, which is your profile picture upper right hand corner of the Google main page, and it'll say settings, So you can go manage your Google account and you'll see your settings and all you have to search for is region settings and once you do that, you can search that to your standard. Let me just I'm trying to do this as I talk to you here, but yeah, as you go into your oh here it is lower right hand corner. Sorry, settings, okay, and it says search settings. And then you go into let's see where is it other settings, and it says language and region and you tap that and it says results language filter and results region is what you want to change back to the US. And I'll put this all on the website so you know it. But that is key because otherwise you're gonna get all those results for your local area that you're not gonna make any sense to you. So change the default region to United States, and that way you can get your your standard Google results that you like. And yes, chat GBT. This is my first major international trip with chat GBT and it's incredible. I mean it did everything for me, from telling me the neighborhoods to visit to the things to do and translating menus. I mean it was really great. You know, I love Google's AI mode. That did not work in Mexico because I guess it's a regional thing here in the US. Still, so I ended up using perplexity a lot, which is also excellent. So if you're not trying perplexity, check that out. But the bottom line. The world indeed feels a lot smaller and more accessible than ever, and it is all thanks to that little phone in your pocket. Lean on it, use it, and with these tips you will be a pro traveler. All right. Coming up, I'm gonna tell you about the camera app that I was testing over in Mexico City gives your photos a cool film like vibe. And we're going to take some of your calls at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website for the show is richon Tech dot tv. There you can get show notes and you can also email me by hitting contact up at the top. Let's go to Oscar in Winchester, California. Oscar, you are on with Rich. What's up, Hi, Rich?
Speaker 2: I've got a a question about the U in my Windows ten desktop. I have Microsoft Outlook that I have to have. I got it to go, Daddy, and then Microsoft exchange, and uh, I would like to be able to uninstall it because their font site on it for some reason. Got I think it's when it added, you know, one of the AI options or something, and the font size got in in uh to the largest and I can't get it down. And then right now, also there are there's a Microsoft notification that that that is up on the screen that stays up that I can't get without, so it covers my Outlook screen and I can't get to the inbox or anything without this notification coming up.
Speaker 1: So you want to start over or are you? Are you going to reinstall Outlook?
Speaker 2: Yeah? The thing, well, let me give you a not more. It's it's more like a standalone version of Outlook.
Speaker 1: Right, so you want to get the one from Microsoft, the new one.
Speaker 2: It's not right, it's not it's the new version. It's not the one that.
Speaker 3: Came in.
Speaker 2: Like I had used to have Office thirteen on there, and it's had Outlook that is removed. So now it doesn't show in up apps and features. Okay, so it doesn't show in the program files or program files eighty six.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well here's what I would do. So it sounds like if you don't want to use this Outlook anymore, then you want to uninstall it. And that sounds like you're going to reinstall the new version of Outlook, which you can download from Microsoft as well. They have like a free version you can get for Windows. So what I would do is you got to go into your settings on Windows. So if you go into Settings, just type in the search bar add or remove programs, and it should bring up System Settings at to remove programs and you'll see a list of all of your apps there, so it'll say installed apps. And up at the top there's a search bar. You can type in Outlook and you should find the version of Outlook that you're looking for. And so once you do that, you're going to see a couple little dots on the right hand side and it'll say advanced options or uninstall, and you want to just tap that uninstalled. Let it go through the process of uninstalling that program from your computer, and then you want to restart your computer. And then once you do that, then you can go to the Outlook website. Let's see here download Microsoft Outlook because there should be a version of Outlook you can get for Yeah, the new Outlook for Windows so it's free for anyone with Windows, and that's a little bit different than the program that you're talking about. I think this is more like a consumer friendly version of Outlook than the standard ones that used to come with the office programs. So you can then view that in the Windows Store and you can download that for free, and then you'll just have to reconnect your email. And typically most email nowadays is all done server side, so you should get all your emails in there. If you're worried about your emails oscar being in the old app, you might want to export those first before you uninstall that app, so that way you have access to your emails if you need them as a backup. But that's what I would do, and then just reinstall the new Windows or the new Outlook and you should be just fine with that system, and that's fine. That's the way to do it. So if you're getting these random little things that are happening on your computer and it's just not working out for you, get rid of it, download the new one, and it's a whole refresh like Outlook got a lot friendlier looking, I think than the standard old version. And so I use the web version of Outlook, which is completely different. But that's just because I'm on a Mac most of the day and it's just easier for me to do it that way, and I have the installed version I do you know, I have Outlook for Mac as well. There's just one little feature that does not work for me. I've got this like distribution list that I send an email to every week, and for some reason, the Outlook for Mac does not support that. And you know, they keep upgrading it because it's brand new, But that's that's the reason I'm not using that. Thanks for the call, Oscar, do appreciate it. Thanks for the call. Eighty to eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Uh, let me tell you this and then we got got to go to a break. But YouTube TV, if you are a YouTube TV subscriber, a lot of subscribers are seeing a surprise ten dollars discount. So if you're paying, remember they raise prices up to like eighty three dollars a month. Well, if you're a subscriber and you've been a subscriber for a while, I guess they're quietly rolling out this ten dollars discount for existing users, so that'll bring your price back to seventy three dollars for the next six months. So they're not promoting this. This is not official, but if you go into your YouTube account YouTube tv account, this is if you're paying for the streaming service you know with all the TV channels, log in on a desktop browser, go into Managed plan on the YouTube tv website and the discount might show up there as a gift, and if you accept the gift, they'll take ten dollars off your account for the next six months. So again, if you got YouTube TV, go in, log in on a desktop browser, check Managed plan and see if you have a ten dollars discount. Eighty to eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Back after this, Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology at Triple eight Rich one O one eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one. Before the break, we were talking to Oscar about uninstalling Outlook on his computer. Turns out it's not showing up in that list of ad or remove programs. So when that's happening, a couple things it could be. It could be that it's part of Microsoft Office Suite, which has sounded like Oscar said, so in that case you might have to go to the Office Suite and uninstall it. That way. There's also a third party program that might be able to help. And this is in general, if you want to uninstall some of the programs that are on your computer that Windows is just not helping you do. It's called Revo Uninstaller r e v O Uninstaller, and this has a free version which can do some of the basics for you. It'll uninstall your apps for free Windows apps and a couple other things. But you know, if you want kind of the pro version, you might have to pay, but I would check out the free version and just see if that helps. Let's go to let's see Karina in Las Vegas, Krena. You're on with Rich.
Speaker 4: Hi, Rich, Hi, thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, what's going on?
Speaker 4: Well, we used to have an exercise class here where I live, and because I'm in a senior community and they didn't rehire the gal. Well, I've got all these videos that I've taped her classes on they're on my phone. Excuse me, but I of course it's taking up so much space, So I want to know where's the best place and the easiest because I don't want a lot a lot of complications of where I can store all these videos.
Speaker 1: How much? How much are we talking? Like how much are they taking up? And what are you trying to give them to her? Or are you trying to just keep them?
Speaker 4: I want to save them. I want to save them for myself because now that we don't have her here anymore, I want to still be able to use them when I'm.
Speaker 5: In the gym.
Speaker 1: Oh I see she still want to like, you still want to watch these videos on your phone?
Speaker 4: Well, yes, but I want to put them on another platform. I guess that's what you call it, so that it won't take up so much space on my phone, because I keep getting that message to clear up the storage, and it's because, yeah, I've got pictures and videos and my grandkids and but right now what's more important is these exercise videos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got to get rid of these things. It's like you can't do anything else on your phone because of this. How do you know how much storage these photo these videos are taking up? Roughly? Like are we talking a gigabyte? Are we talking five? Gigs.
Speaker 4: Okay, you're asking me a question. I said, I don't know how to answer that.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Okay. So the main thing is that there's a couple. So it sounds to me like you want to get these off your phone, but you also want to be able to access them on your phone in the future, so that if you wanted to refer to them, it'd be easy to do that.
Speaker 4: Now, yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: Now, here's the thing. Are you paying for iCloud storage?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, you're not, Okay, So what I would do is, I think, uh Karina, I think the best way to do this is to really get a cloud service provider where you can upload these photos or these videos and then that way you'll still be able to access them, but you will have them off your phone. So what I would do is look for a provider. There are a couple, so it depends on how big these attachments are. Right, So if we're talking like a gig or two gigs, most of the service providers will give you up to like fifteen gigabytes of free storage, depending on the service provider. So for instance, if you were to download Dropbox, what you could do is you could upload these videos directly from your phone to the Dropbox app, and then once they're in the Dropbox app, you can delete them off your phone. Now, Dropbox gives you two gigabytes of free storage. So let me just take a look at the amount of space of video is taking up on my phone. Okay, so let's see. Here's a standard video that's about This is about a minute long, and this video is taking up about one hundred gigabyte one hundred megabytes. So if we're doing the math on there, you know, it depends on how much you need. The one that I probably recommend is one Drive because they're going to give you five gigs of storage for free, and it's pretty easy. You could download one Drive, you can sign up and that will give you five gigabytes of storage and you can keep that on your phone and so you'll still have access to these videos. The other one I'm looking at is let's see here. So there's a service called Pea Cloud which I was testing, and they're going to give you ten gigabytes of free storage. And I've tested this recently. It's exactly as it sounds. Ten gigabytes is pretty good. So maybe start with that one. Let's see here, So ten gigabytes for free. And what you would do is you would just upload these videos to this this pa cloud app, and then once they're on that app safely, they'll be in the cloud. You can just delete them off of your phone and they will still live in the cloud. So that's the way I do it. And then you can access them at any time through this app on your phone, and it's very easy. I've tried this and it's pretty simple to do, so that's probably what I recommend. So go to the website pcloud dot com or just download that app on your phone and set it up, sign up, and then once you download that app, take you know. The app will show you in your gallery all your videos, find those little exercise video, upload them to this app, and then you can delete them one by one off your phone. And this is free pretty much forever for that amount of storage. So that's probably gonna be the easiest way to do it. There are a million ways to do what you're talking about, by the way, it's just a matter of like what do you want to do with these videos afterwards? Like if you just wanted to offload them from your computer or your phone, I would say, you could just grab a flash drive, plug it into the bottom of your phone and drag these videos to that flash drive and then delete them. But you said you wanted to follow these exercise videos from your phone in the future, so that's probably the best way to do it. Thanks for the call, Kreta, appreciate it. Do appreciate that. Let's see here, how long do we have Bobo before I got to go to break? Okay, got time. So let me tell you about this, this giant password leak because sixteen billion passwords. Lots of headlines about this, Lots and lots of headlines, scary, scary stuff. Everyone's saying you gotta change all your passwords right now. That is not realistic. So this is being called the largest data breach. Ever, a lot of this was stolen via malware that logs your keystrokes, so it's not necessarily like these companies were hacked. It was computers that were hacked. And this is a gathering of stuff. So a lot of people are debating whether this is old or new. It doesn't matter. You still have to treat this as a reminder to lock things down. So number one, do not reuse passwords. If one password gets compromised, the hackers will try to use it everywhere else. That's why you don't want to reuse your passwords. Number two, turn on two factor authentication. So you want to use an app like two fas or pretty much any two factor authentication app that you come across that you like. You can use au these good Google Authenticator, Microsoft Authenticator. They all have their pros and cons. Two fas is nice, it works on iPhone and Android, and it's better than getting those SMS codes. So sign up for an app like that and then use a password. Man, I know I'm a broken record. You got to use a password manager, something like bitwarden, which is great. It's free, it's cross platform that'll generate and store long unique passwords. Now, focus on protecting your key accounts. Now in this password leak, we've heard about Google, Apple, Facebook, We've heard about those passwords being involved in this. Now, if your account is out there with this password in the wild, yeah, there's a chance that someone can log into your account. But if you have two factor authentication, you're going to be protected way more than if you don't. So do you have to go out and change your password on these accounts? If it's a password that you've been reusing for the past ten years, absolutely get out there and change it, because chances are it's in this dump. If it's not a password that you've been reusing, if it's something in a password manager, you're probably okay. And you have two factor turned on, you're probably okay. Keep it in mind, a lot of these hacks happen when people say, oh, I got hacked on Facebook, hack on Google, I got hacked on Instagram. It's not necessarily that someone is sitting out there trying to hack your account. It's most of the time you are being tricked into entering your password on a fake website that is trying to steal your information. So that's what's really happening a majority of the time. Now, in this case, you know a lot of these passwords were gotten via malware that steals your keystrokes from your computer. Again, your computer was hacked at some point along the way. And this happens when you download some random program or you know, whatever you're doing on your computer that you might install something that you're like, oh, wait a second, why did I just do that? And then you've got something that's logging what you're doing on there. Now, there are some ways if you're curious. A website called cyber News has a password leak checker, so they actually have a website where you can go to you can type in your password. I know this sounds scary, and I don't recommend that you necessarily do this unless you are typing in a password that's old and you've reused a bunch and you're just sort of curious. So I typed in a couple of my old, old passwords that I was reusing a lot before I got smart, and sure enough, yeah, it's like, oh yeah, those are out there. So if you've got those passwords you want to try to put into this website cybernews dot com slash password dash leak dash check, and you can type in a password that you've reused over the years and it will tell you, yeah, that's out there. They've got thirty a database of thirty three million passwords that are just sitting out there, exposed on the open web. So if you're using one of those passwords from back in the day, chances are yes, it is been leaked. And again this is not new information. This stuff. I'm telling you. The steps I'm telling you to take right now are the same steps I would have told you six months ago before we had these scary headlines. It is the same main things. You have to get used to using strong, unique passwords. Today I was logging into a new account that I created at a bank, and it was like, hey, do you want to create You have to create these security questions. Answers to security questions, name of the street you grew up on, name of your best friend when you grew up. I forget what the third one is. And I'm not kidding. I don't use real answers to those questions. Because you could figure out the street that I grew up on. You could figure out my best friend's name when I was a kid. That's pretty common knowledge, or my school, my high school mascot. So what I do is I use a some sort of generator to make up fake answers, and I remember those answers so that if that information got out there, you wouldn't be able to figure it out because it's something that I don't even know. It's just made up. Now, you have to keep tracted. Caveat is If you're doing that, it'll keep you secure, but you have to keep track of that information. So in your password manager there's literally a small notes field and you can type in the answers those questions and the answer, so that'll give you an added layer of security. So yeah, this stuff is not easy. I guess My point is, if you're trying to secure online, it's not something that's fast. It does take a little bit extra, but it will protect you from things like this in the future. I'll put the link to that password checker on my website. Rich on tech dot tv eighty to eight rich one O one eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one. Welcome back to rich on Tech Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple eight Rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website for the show rich on Tech dot tv. This is episode one twenty six. If you want show notes, it's all there on the website links to anything I mentioned, is right there A lot of you sending emails in let's see here we've got Greg says, so should I use the password manager on my iPhone or get the one you recommended in your latest newsletter, Greg, I recommend a third party password manager, so you can use the one on the iPhone, the Passwords app. It's safe, it's fine. But the the reason I don't like it is because it locks you into the iPhone and iOS and all that stuff. And I just personally think that third party software is better because Bitwarden is thinking about everyone. They're thinking about how to make their app work great on iPhone, Android, Windows, Chrome, everything, versus Apple is only thinking about getting people to stick to the iPhone and so therefore they're only prioritizing things that work for iPhone users. So it's fine. If you're never going to switch out of Apple, go ahead use it. It's simple, it's easy, it's built in. But personally, I like third party when it comes to all of my software because it works equally across everything. And that's the way I think the technology should be. I think that technology should be inclusive and getting everyone on board in the same way versus something that excludes people. And when you're using something like passwords app on the iPhone, yeah, they've got a way that you can use it on a Windows computer, but it's just not very good, not as easy as something like a Bitwarden. Well that's the answer. But if you're fine with that, just go with it. It's built in. And yes, of course it's easy and it's simple. Then we got another email here from Let's see here? Where was it? Vic says, Hey, Rich, I listened to your podcast. I find it very informative. You make it easy to understand technology. I'm trying to join Cantina, but it wants to access my contact list and I don't feel comfortable giving them full access. When I try to select contacts, it won't let me. Do you know if they if they contact everyone on my contact list to try Cantina, is there a way around joining without giving them full access? Thanks, I have not heard about this app called Cantina, but yes, a lot of these apps will try to get you to sign up and give access to your full contact book because guess what is a growth hack? It helps them get this information to more people. So that is a red flag if they will not let you sign up without giving them full access. Because what's happened is so many of these apps over the years that I've tested out, they will take access to your information and they will spam your followers or your contacts. I guess I should say, and so with this app. I'm not sure. I'm trying to go through the sign up sign up process right now while we talk. Oh wow, look, I'm already I'm already signed up for Cantina. How I've never even heard of this app? Sorry, this email is taken? How is my email taken on an app I've never heard of in my life? Okay, I'm gonna type skip. When is your birthday? Okay? I already don't like this app. If apps are asking you for all this information, I don't know what that You must be eighteen? Okay, well so I don't know. I gotta get back to you on that one. I don't know if I like that app. Let's see here, let's go to Bill in Fullerton. Bill, what's going on?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 2: Rich? Can you hear me?
Speaker 1: Okay? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Here?
Speaker 1: Are you great?
Speaker 6: Hey?
Speaker 7: I've got a Dell Tower to a PC model eighty nine hundred I got from Costco about four or five years ago, and the Windows eleven upgrade is telling me that my CPU is not meeting their requirements. So instead of buying a whole new computer, I was wondering, could I upgrade the motherboard and the CPU and keep everything else.
Speaker 1: I mean you might be able to, But how much would you pay for this computer?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 7: Probably, I'm guessing five point fifteen six.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so by the time you upgrade this thing, which mayor you know, you may be able to do that, but I don't think that's worth it. So you're the amount you're going to pay for new components, if any, that are going to work inside this computer is probably going to be more than the price of a new PC. But I don't think that that means this is hopeless. We had a couple of guests on the show talking about ways to get around these. You know what Windows is doing is it's looking. It's it's checking your computer to make sure that it's compatible, and it's it has a list of things that it has in its checklist. It says, yeah, this is going to make sure that that when eleven works smoothly on this computer. But if you're if you're gonna get rid of this thing anyway or like upgrade or buy a new one, I'd rather see you upgrade or force the upgrade of the software on your computer and at least use this computer as is. So what I would do is I mentioned this article last week. There's a great article The Intelligence dot Com is a great Windows newsletter, and he talks about Chris a guy, a guest we've had on our show, talks about how you can kind of force your computer to upgrade to Windows eleven, even if it says it is not officially supported. And the way you do this is there's an app called rufous, So you download Rufus and once you have that, that's basically going to help you create a bootable USB drive very simply, and then you download the Windows eleven disk image from Microsoft's website and all you have to do is install that and it will say a Windows User Experience window will appear, and there is an option that says move requirement for four gigabytes of RAM, secure boot and TPM two point zero. Make sure that's checked. Install this, and now you can just install Windows eleven on here. This is not again, if Bill, if you're not sort of like a little bit advanced with your computer, but it sounds like you are based on what you just said to me. This is not for the the inexperienced person, So I think that you have to be a little bit tech savvy to try this. And of course, before you do something like this. You want to make sure that you are backing up everything on your computer because it could all go away when you're doing this fourced upgrade. But that's what I would do. I'll put a link to this, you know, this article on my website rich on tech dot TV. But I'd probably do that before you look into, you know, opening up this tower and replacing some of those components on a computer. That's probably not meant to do that. Rich on Tech dot TV eighty to eight rich one oh one eighty eight seven four to two, four one zero one. We'll talk Prime Day coming up next. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out out with you, talking technology. The website for the show is rich on tech dot TV eight eight eight rich one O one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two, four one zero one. My name is rich Demiro. Thanks so much for hanging out with me. We've got a lot to talk about. Uh, we've got a great guest this hour. Remember the BlackBerry. You know, everyone loved their BlackBerry phone and had that keyboard click aty clack, click any clack. Well, if you want to bring back that experience, there's a company called Clicks that is doing that. They're making keyboard cases for a couple of the smartphones out there, like the Samsung's, the iPhones, some Motorolas, and you can actually buy them at Best Buy. But this has been pretty popular. So we're gonna have the CEO of Clicks join us this hour to talk about how you can add a physical keyboard to your phone and just you know, I guess people like it. They've sold a bunch of them. It is Prime Day, I guess sorry, it is not Prime Day, falsel arm. I'm not spreading false news here. It is not Prime Day. Stand down. Put your credit card. Put your credit card back in your wallet? Is that a credit card in your pocket? You're you just happy for Prime Day? That'll get Boba? See I would that be considered a dad joke or no? Yeah? Okay, Bobo, Bobo's back. By the way, Bobo is Bobo. If you didn't know, the show did not fall off the rails the last three weeks, but it could have easily because Bobo was off cruise in. Uh does that mean something different? No, You're fine with that, okay. I was celebrating my forty second Yes, happy birthday, Thank you?
Speaker 4: Bo?
Speaker 1: How old forty two, damn right and and everything. Yeah, you can say that word. You're getting up there, tell me about it, you know, Hey, it's you know, forty two is pretty young, all things consider. Oh it is, I bet hold on, do you remember do you remember turning twenty one? Vaguely? Oh, vaguely? Okay, you had a good party.
Speaker 5: Then.
Speaker 1: I remember turning twenty one. I can remember it like it was yesterday. I was in Vegas. I went to Vegas. It was so exciting, like that was such a big moment in my life. I was in Vegas.
Speaker 8: My cousin took me to Vegas with my twenty first was the first time I got drunk off alcohol.
Speaker 1: Firt. Wow, you were better than I was. I didn't drink it till I was twenty one.
Speaker 9: More.
Speaker 1: Wow, you're a saint. Well sadly, it's been downhill ever since. No, no, you're not wrong. Oh my gosh, that's funny though. Good for you. Hey, you know what, kids, if you're listening, be like Bobo. There is no reason to drink. Honestly, it is none at all. It's honestly, ever, But the problem is you get started and then it's relaxing. It's fun. You know, you have a good time, and then it's like you know, and for some people they can't handle it. You know, they just can't handle it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: True, you seem like a guy that can handle ithred percent minus life year.
Speaker 3: And we've all had those days. Yeah, they're just like never again. But I can't say that I did miss the show. Like I was telling my wife, I was like, oh my god, I gotta go back on Rich. I said, Rich, don't think I'm abandoning, But I was like, I gotta go back, and She's like, you shouldn't want to take off one more like jokingly, I was like, nah, I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: Have a word with Britney. Come in, hold on. I thought I liked her. All right, Well, it's good to have you back.
Speaker 8: Oh, and shout out to the city of Santa Monica. I mentioned that I worked with you on Saturdays. I hosted a Juneteenth festival and everybody told me to say you love so from Santa Monica to Rich.
Speaker 1: They wanted to say, hey, thank you, Santa Monica. And now they have that new promenade which you can drink outside. Yes they do speak. Okay, so Prime Day happening. It's bigger than ever this year, happening July eighth through July eleventh, four full days, first time ever for that started out as one day back in twenty fifteen. Remember Prime Day started as a way to celebrate Amazon's twentieth birthday and Prime like membership for customers, and of course sell Prime memberships. But now they just keep expanding it and clearly Prime Day is doing well for Amazon, and I think some years it was like a little bit like Okay, give me a break. Now I actually think it's gotten very legitimate, like companies plan around Prime Day, and if you don't really understand how Amazon works, it kind of benefits everyone for Prime Day because there are so many Amazon affiliates out there, right, people who write about Amazon products link them up on their websites, and that website gets a little commission from Amazon for selling products. So they have like all these sales people out there that sell products and they come up with like, you know, ten ten travel products that are the best or ten whatever, just pick any category. Websites are promoting this stuff. That's why, so Prime Day kind of works out for everyone because everyone wins. So this year, what's going to be different? Lowest prices of the year on brands like Sony, Dyson, and Samsung. Today's Big Deals. That's a new thing. They're doing daily theme drops exclusive to Prime members. They just come up with like a different deal name every year. You're also gonna get a dollar off a gallon of gas per gallon July third through six, so good for Fourth of July weekend. That's at BP, Amoco and AMPM, but you have to sign up for that first. That program they have, Alexa Plus, is gonna help you track deals and there's gonna be all kinds. Like the bottom line, here's what you need to know about Prime Day. Don't believe the hype. Don't go in there trying to spend money, trying to find things to buy. What you really need to do is just think about the stuff that you need and or want right. There is a difference. But put that stuff in your cart now or put it in your save for later, and then when July eighth rolls around, that's when you can look in your cart and see if these things go on sale. Now there's a caveat. You know, all the Amazon brands are gonna go on sale, the rings, the Kindles, the fire TVs, all that stuff's gonna go on sale. A lot of big brands are gonna go on sale too, But put the stuff that you want in your cart now. And by the way, we're talking about this a couple of weeks before it happens. Prices drop in the in the hours and days leading up to Prime Day because there's so much attention around Prime Day. People are just looking for stuff to buy. I'm already going to Amazon dot com slash Prime Day, and there's already a whole bunch of deals on all kinds of stuff. I mean, everything back to school, up to thirty percent off top products like ring I mean, there's just so much stuff that you might want to buy. But again, don't just browse the website. That's gonna You're gonna lose money in the end doing that. What you want to do is think about the stuff you need. Look around your house, even things that you eat, things that you need, like to restock. It sounds silly, but that's the best way to get the most out of Prime Day. It's like buying the stuff that you're gonna get anyway. It's like going into Costco. When you go into Costco for one thing, right, they get you because you want to buy your coffee that you like at Costco and it's inexpensive because you buy it in bulk. Well, most people can't walk out of Costco with just buying that one thing. They parade through all the aisles and there's so many great deals and you end up spending a couple hundred bucks just because you came in for that coffee or I mean paper towels, toilet paper. Why do you think they put all those on the back wall. You gotta walk all the way through Costco and there's it's like you know, you're a kid in a candy store when you're an adult at Costco, right, there's so many things and it's and don't get me wrong, Costco is a good deal. You compare the price you're gonna paid anything at Costco, it's gonna be better than on anywhere else you go. But the thing is you're buying a whole bunch of other stuff at the same time. And usually there's one or two things you buy that you probably didn't go in for, that you don't really need, but you buy anyway. That's how it goes. So anyway, Prime Day is happening with that said, I do have a list of I just created on my website a list of some of the products that I like because people always ask me what's your go to gadgets and gear, So I made a list of my go to gadgets in gear and I put it all on there. This is stuff that I've tested that I like, and it's all linked up. So if you want to see if that stuff goes on sale for Prime Day, check it out. Rich on tech dot TV. The thing I did test on my trip to Mexico City is a portable carbon monoxide detector. I'm sure you've heard the stories in the you know, these couple of stories throughout the years where there's been some unfortunate incidents where carbon monoxide has claimed lives. You know, people are in a rental place or in a hotel room. Now, I don't think this is a prevalent thing. I don't think it's a major issue, but it has happened, and it's happened enough, or when I've stayed in a rental I'm like, Okay, I want to have one of these things in there, because you never know. And so I tested this new one, which is a digital one. It's small, it's compact, it's got a digital readout. And the wild thing is I plug this thing in or actually it's it's a cordless so I didn't have to plug it in, but I charged and the first night I'm in my hotel room, the thing is given a reading of thirty, like thirty ppm of COO and I'm like, uh, oh, what the heck, what am I supposed to do? It was ten o'clock at night. I turned this thing on and I'm like, great, my room is filled with carbon monoxide. That's not good, now, I figured at the end of the day. So I ended up putting on putting on my shoes, and walking downstairs in my pajamas at this hotel and I went outside with this little carbon dioxide detector. I'm like, let me see if it changes to zero. And it did change to like a little bit less, but it was still a little bit on the high end. But I was like, you know what, this thing has an alarm on it. If it's if it's a problem, it's going to alarm. So clearly it thinks it's under the threshold, which I think is about fifty. Even though you don't want to be in any sort of COO exposure for a long time. But anyway, so it finally worked out. It was fine. I survived my first night of sleep. I was like, well, that's it. That's it for rich On Tech. I'm to go to sleep and quietly just never wake up all because I've decided to not listen to this carbon monoxide detector. But for the rest of the week, the odd thing was there was no reading in my room over zero. So I don't know if something was going on that night or what, but it did have a reading. But this thing's cool because it's got the carbon monoxide reading, it's got the temperature, the humidity and the air quality and so it's all in one and it's really really great. So anyway, it's forty bucks. If you want to see if it goes on sale. You don't need to buy it today, but put it in your cart. See if it goes on sale for Prime Day, because you know, I paid full price, but you know, maybe go on sale for the next couple of days. All right, I'll put that on the website. Rich On Tech Dot TV eighty to eight, rich one On one eighty eight, seven four to two, four to one zero one will do more of your calls. Plus, I'm going to tell you about WhatsApp. They are adding ads for the first time ever. And this is another thing we used in Mexico City. The little group of people I was with, we all use WhatsApp. It was fantastic, such a great way to keep in touch with people that are using different phones. I'll tell you about the ads plus your calls coming up right here. I'm Rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple A. Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Let's go to Laurna in Long Beach. You're on with Rich.
Speaker 10: Bye, Rich, thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. What's going on?
Speaker 9: So?
Speaker 10: I have a printer model HP Office Jet Pro okay six eight three zero. I know it's an old printer, but I really really need a printer right now related to work. So I have searched Google on how to print head, how to clean the print head. So I did follow the directions one and then uh I let the printer rest dry for about thirty minutes and I was successful. But then after another couple of hours, maybe I wanted to print again, and so the print head error appeared again.
Speaker 1: So what First off, this is an ink chet printer, right, Yes? Are you using genuine HP ink Chet cartridges? Yes? I am? And are they old or new?
Speaker 10: They're new? Actually I just got them and I made sure that they're not expired.
Speaker 1: Okay, And so when you put these in, have you did you go through? How did you clean this?
Speaker 10: So I followed the print head cleaning from Google, you know for HP Office Jet Pro. I looked at the model and then I I detached the or I unplugged. I unplugged so I was able to move the print head from side to side. And I've placed the paper towel underneath the print head, and then I flushed each port of the ink, the color ones and the black port. I flushed it with a print head cleaning kit that I bought separately from Amazon.
Speaker 1: Well, typically these little printer as far as I understand, the print head is like on the cartridge itself. So if I feel like there's something bigger going on here, have you done the have you done like the built in sort of system cleaning where you go into like set up printer maintenance and then clean print head. Have you done that?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 10: I tried that, but it wouldn't show me you know there it's it's better when I see the picture and yeah, and so I I've done that. But and then even if I do it, it doesn't print anyway.
Speaker 1: So what's the what's the error on the actual machine saying yes?
Speaker 10: On the actual machine?
Speaker 1: And what's the error saying clean the print heads? Yes?
Speaker 10: And then it keeps uh giving an error message your print print head is uh is I forgot what the message was. But it needs a pension. Your print head needs a pension.
Speaker 11: Okay, So I.
Speaker 10: I probably will try cleaning it again, but then I probably would have to ask your suggestion if I have to buy another another printer.
Speaker 1: How old this printer? How old is this printer?
Speaker 10: Ten years?
Speaker 1: Ten years old? Okay? That okay, that could be the issue. I mean, look, I think that a printer should last ten years. I don't know what's going on with this printer. I'm not really sure I've encountered this error on mine. I would think that replacing the cartridges. And I'm looking at the manual cleaning. I mean it says like for effective manual print head cleaning, gather these supplies lint free microfiber cloths, distilled water, shallow dish, printer cleaning solution, rubber gloves, paper towels. Sounds like you're doing surgery on this printer here. I mean, it seems like a lot. I would say I wouldn't spend any more money on this printer to fix this or to try this, but I would other than following their printing. You know, they're they're kind of like built in print head cleaning process. It says you might need to do it up to three to four times, so that's the only thing I can think of. There's also a printer diagnostic test. This might help with the HP Print and Scan Doctor, So that might be something you look into and maybe that can help you out. It's called hp Print and Scan Doctor for Windows, and that might be a way to see what's going on with this printer. Otherwise, you can take this printer into a place like you break I fixed, and you can get them to give you like a free estimate on how much it might cost to fix this thing. But I wouldn't really spend any extra money on it. If I were you, I would just go with the brother laser jet printer if you need me in depends if you need color or not, but I would just go with the Brother laser jet. There's a I'll link up the model number on the website. Rich on tech dot tv. But that's probably what you want to do, is just get something simple that's inexpensive, because ten years is a pretty good run for a printer, but I'd like for it to last longer. But if it's not working and the print head cleaning is just not it sounds like you've done everything you need to do to get these print heads cleaned and it's just not giving you that error free message. The only other thing I would think to do, and you might want to try this, is do a reset, like a factory reset of this printer. You can go into settings and in the settings it'll say like factory reset printer. You might want to try that, and that's going to clear all the settings and that's going to bring this thing back to factory. You're gonna have to reset it up, but that might clear out that error message. Good question, Lorna, that's a tricky one eighty eight Rich one O one eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one coming up, We're gonna talk physical keyboards for your smartphone right here. Welcome back to rich on tech rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at eight eight eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Is this genie in a bottle? Oh my gosh? When did that hold on? This song is like nineteen ninety nine, you're talking that song is twenty six years old. We're old. Wow wow, Okay, that is just time is going way too fast, all right? Eighty eight rich one on one eighty eight seven four to two four one zero one. Rich on tech dot tv is the website. Joining me now, Adrian Lemouching, CEO of Clicks. They are making keyboard cases for various smartphones and it's been quite successful. Adrian, thanks for joining me, Rich. Great to be here, absolutely so if someone hasn't heard of Clicks, explain what it is.
Speaker 12: Sure, Clicks creates physical people cases for smartphones, so for iPhones and androids, and really what it is is we have taken the best experience you can get from physical buttons and added them to your smartphone just as an accessory. And it's really for those who have those who missed the speed and accuracy of having buttons on your phone.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, look, we all loved the BlackBerry back in the day. Did you were you a BlackBerry lover? Was this part of the inspiration or.
Speaker 12: What I and my entire team were huge BlackBerry lovers, you know, massively passionate about it, and so you know, this is something that we've wanted to do for a really long time.
Speaker 1: Now, that's the interesting thing. So clearly you did your homework. Did you find that there was a need or a want for people to go back to these physical keyboards because it's been a while since we've had them.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it has, and a lot of us have been in this space for a number of years now, and we've always known that there is this nascent demand for people who really missed their buttons. I mean, one of our co founders, he's known online as crackbree ke Heavin, and he's the guy who always gets emailed every single week. Do you know where the BlackBerry's coming out? Do you know when the next keyboard phone is coming out? And so we know that there's always a demand there for it.
Speaker 1: So who do you think this is for? Like, do you think this is for someone that just likes the old days of their BlackBerry keyboard or do they you know, like, is it just to get work done? Like what do you think this is? Like what's the use case scenario here?
Speaker 9: Yeah, really good question.
Speaker 12: We've been on the market for a year now and we've done a number of post purchase surveys just to get an idea of who's using the products, and it's actually a lot different to what we initially thought. So you do get your I guess you'd say you're kind of business people who really miss their blackberries. You know, you're kind of ex Wall Street or Wall Street banker type people who you know, missed back braze.
Speaker 9: And use this.
Speaker 12: But actually we've also found that the demographic is really broad, so anybody from you know, entrepreneurs, people who kind of work for themselves, you just like to do stuff on the go. Also to students, people in college, you know, they're taking their devices with their clicks into their class and they're using it to record that their lectures.
Speaker 1: Now, how hard is it to get used to typing on a keyboard again after years of you know, training on a touch screen.
Speaker 12: That's a that's a really good question. It's it does feel a little bit alien at first. We say, it takes around kind of you know, between two days to two weeks to get used to having buttons under your thumbs again. But once you're there, you're you're flying and it feels so good.
Speaker 1: So what has been the reaction? I mean, I know, you guys are in best Buy, right like, that's that's pretty huge for a tech gadget.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we are.
Speaker 12: We we were actually in We were in best Buy for over a year now. We started off with them middle of last year. You know, great great partners, and we've got our own little space and about two hundred best Buy stores in the US in the theater district space.
Speaker 9: And you know, it's been super successful.
Speaker 12: People have been, you know, going there trying the products in their hands and then and then supporting it to the extent we're actually this year we launched a new product called most roller Raser clicks and Best Buy for when they promoted them the first phone, the first most roller razer for this year, they actually gave a free clicks away to.
Speaker 9: Every customer that bought a corresponding razor phone.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that's pretty cool. How much do these keyboards typically cost.
Speaker 12: They are one three nine dollars for the regular size and one hundred and fifty nine and for the larger size.
Speaker 1: And what phones do you have them for? I know you started out with the iPhone obviously that's you know, a good place to start, but you've branched out, So tell me what phones you have them for now.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we did.
Speaker 12: We started off doing iPhone fourteen and fifteen. When iPhone fifteen launched in September, we may go on for that product as well. This year, we've also made it for the Google Pixel nine nine prob and for the most roller Razor Flip and Adrian.
Speaker 1: Do you think that because of the success of these keyboards there will be a company that makes smartphones that brings back the physical keyboard that built in.
Speaker 9: That is such a good question, Rich.
Speaker 12: I don't know whether you're seeing what's going on at the moment online on TikTok, there's a lot of stuff about BlackBerry and you know, either bringing back BlackBerry or companies out there that are trying to restore all Blackberries. We know of projects that have tried in the past and that are looking to do this, and so we know the demand is there. We know that there is, and ultimately, I think a lot of people who you know, yeah, they like their they're like an iPhone with a keyboard case on it, but some really do want to have just a phone like a Blackberries have experience again.
Speaker 1: And I was able to I know, mister Mobile obviously, Michael Fisher one of your other is he a co founder with the company.
Speaker 9: Yes, Michael is a co founder. He's he's been with us on the journey since you know, really early days.
Speaker 12: He's had a lot of input into you know, everything we do, from you know, keyboard designs to user experience. You know, he just knows he knows the products, not just from a keyboard, addective smartphones as well. You know, he's probably reviewed every single keyboard smartphone that's ever been produced and been released to market. So he's such a such a world of knowledge, you know, and such a genuine guy as well.
Speaker 9: He's a really really good person to have on the team.
Speaker 7: He is.
Speaker 1: It's funny because I go to a lot of events with him, and he always has the most friends around him at every event, So that's a that's a good sign for him. But you know, here's the thing, So I tried this out at CES. This was a couple of years ago, I think when it was first launching. It does add some bulk to the phone, So explain that aspect, because is it a case. Is it something you put on and off when you need it, or is it something you leave on all the time.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we don't.
Speaker 12: Really tell people how to use it, but what we found from our users is that most people leave it on all the time. Now, it does add a little bit of bulk, and you know, it does stick out of your pockets. You know, we have a lot of our female customers saying it doesn't fit into a handbag. We've tried to make it as small as possible for kind of the product as it is today, but we're continuing to innovade, you know, look at how we can improve, even if it's shaving minimey to new product form factors. You know, we're always listening to our customers and we want to try and make the best keyboard experience out there for people.
Speaker 1: All right, is called clicks Adrian, What do you find fun about all this? I assume this is not your first sort of startup or thing that you've done before. What do you find fun about all this stuff.
Speaker 12: Yeah correct, Yeah, not one of my first roudio here. But I love making products. I think we we, we and a lot of the team we come from a place where we just love making physical products. We're really passionate about them. We love seeing people use the product. I mean, I was in a I was in an event last week. Somebody came up to me and he said, clicks, I know you guys. I was in a board meeting last week and Linda Yakarino, who's on my board, showed up. She put she sat on the set, she sat down, took her phone out, put it on the table and I had your product on that and she started telling you all about it.
Speaker 9: And this was such an amazing story.
Speaker 12: And to hear things like that, and to know that your product is being used by people, whether they're fortune ten CEOs, whether they are you know, college students, whether it's somebody who has you know, some kind of you know, hearing or site visibility issue and they can't, you know, use a phone properly, and now they can. You know, all of these things I think really give us a kick to making the products that we do.
Speaker 1: Wait, that's interesting, So is there an accessibility aspect to these keyboards.
Speaker 12: Well, I think you know, we didn't, we didn't go into it deep ourselves initially. What we found is that visually impaired people, We've had feedback from people that have Parkinson's for example, who were unable to really use a touchscreen very well, have now been able to really navigate you know, keyboards and actually input into a phone. And that's and that was a really nice story when we started hearing some of these things.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. Yeah, it's it's I've I've found that with a lot of tech products that they don't set out to help people, you know, necessarily, like they don't think about that aspect. But of course as people use these things and they find these aspects that really benefit them, Like I'm thinking of specifically the ray band glasses, Like a lot of people in the accessibility community were like, oh my gosh, these are so great for this, this and this, and I just think that's a that's a neat side effect of all this stuff.
Speaker 9: Agreed, Yeah, no, Agrede. I mean, I've got a great story, right.
Speaker 12: I was before we actually launched the products. I was in the Apple Store in the UK. This was about three months before launch and I had to buy an iPhone. I was like, we would have an iPhone to the team, I'm just going to buy iPhones.
Speaker 9: So I went.
Speaker 12: I went to the Apple store. The lady serving me was visually impaired, and I was so impressed how she was navigating through iOS. And you know when you go to Apple stores and you purchase something, they all use their iPhones to you know, to make the payments, make the transaction. She was using a combination of an AirPod and audio cues to navigate through with the menu system. And I kind of let her finish what she was doing, and I said, oh, you know, I'm really impressed how you're navigating through iOS and how you're doing this transaction For me. I just want to let you know, you know, the reason I'm buying the phone, and you know, I let out and I said, look, we're developing this product.
Speaker 9: I think you might be you know, you might find it interesting.
Speaker 12: And I put her fingers on it and she touched the keys and immediately she got in she was like, wow, it's it's the keyboards and and you know, her reaction and her face was like you know it was. It really touched me. And you know, to me, I thought, you know what, this is something that the world really needs. You know, it might not be something that everybody will out there take out, take and grab, but I think, you know, there is definitely a really strong community out there and people that want a product like this.
Speaker 9: So we're just going to keep keep growing and keep scaling amazing.
Speaker 1: The website is clicks dot tech. Clicks dot tech if you want to check out a physical keyboard for your smartphone. They've gotten for the iPhone, the Pixel, the razor. Any any thought about Samsung in the future, is that maybe going to happen.
Speaker 12: We we thought about it, you know, I think we listened to our community and you know, it's who's going to shout loudest. You know, we're also a growing business and we want to scale at the right page. We don't want to do We've learned I think a lot of lessons in the last year. It's very easy to do too much too quickly. And Samson's are you know, beast in itself in terms of the different phone models, just like Apple an iPhone. So we'll we'll get to it eventually, okay.
Speaker 1: Adrian Limao, Ching, CEO of Clicks thanks so much for joining me today. Really appreciate it.
Speaker 9: Thank you, rich appreciate it all right.
Speaker 1: I'll put a link to it on my website. Rich On Tech dot TV eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. More of your calls, plus I'll explain my WhatsApp is adding ads coming up right here on rich On Tech. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology eight eight eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. I guess since were past it, I can I can mention what happened last weekend, but UH had a little issue with the phone lines. And that was interesting because I don't know what happened. Well I do know what happened, but it's just long story short. Apparently we were affected by some sort of I don't know. People are trying you know what. I'm not even gonna get into it. It's not worth it. But the point is we're back this week. We've got our calls, we've got our callers, We've got Kim, We've got Bobo. We are firing on all cylinders this week. Kim chimed in with her twenty first birthday Bobo. She went to Chevy's, the Chevy Chevy's, Yeah, the Mexican restaurant. Yeah. She went there after work and had her first legal margarita. Oh, first legal Not quite as exciting as Vegas, but yeah, you know that. You know what Chevy's has. I don't know if there's one around here. They've got They've put on every plate. I think, like this little like sweet corn thing. Oh, it's like a little scoop of cor yes, oh so good. Yeah, Like I just want that for my whole meal. Oh, speaking of things, I ate, I did I tell you this? I ate a grasshopper in Mexico? Have you what have you ever eaten a grashopper? I have no desire to eat an insect. So they come, you can get it on the side with your guacamole, So it comes. It just sounds worse a little bowl of grasshoppers for like they're like, I don't know, dried out freeze, dride, whatever you want to call it. And then you like put some on your guacamole and eat it. And you did it. I tried it. Come on, would you not try it? Why not?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: I wouldn't You wouldn't even try it. No, the whole table was trying it. But I'm not not try it.
Speaker 8: I wouldn't be a part of the table, be a leader or not a leader, not a follower.
Speaker 1: I was like, I'm in Mexico once, well, I mean hopefully again, but you know what I mean. But I'm just saying it's like, why not try it? Like I'm still here today, I am here. Congratulations, Fine, nothing for you. I can now I have a story to tell. That's not a story I would want to share. We just wasted like five minutes on its Daisy's and menafee, Daisy, you're on with rich.
Speaker 11: Hell, Hi, Hi, I'm gonna can you hear me?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, you kind of broke up a little bit, but go ahead, okay.
Speaker 10: Yes.
Speaker 11: I have an acer Chromebook.
Speaker 7: It's about a year old.
Speaker 11: I love it. I do genealogy and I use a split screen. And what's happening with my computer is it'll just start spinning like it's not connected to the internet. But my internet is very strong. All the other devices are fine. And the only solution is to turn it off and to turn it back on, and that gets annoying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, and I didn't.
Speaker 11: Know if there was any way of fixing it. But since prime days are coming up, I also can get a new Chromebook like that.
Speaker 5: They're light.
Speaker 1: You just got this a year ago. We're not buying a new computer.
Speaker 9: This.
Speaker 1: The computer should last more than a year.
Speaker 6: So I used.
Speaker 11: It's very heavily.
Speaker 1: Used, so well, that shouldn't like effect. So here's the deal. Number. There could be number one. There could be you said this a Chromebook, right right, So there could be the fact that you know, the Wi Fi chromebooks are not necessarily known for being the most powerful computers out there, so the components in them are not going to be of the highest quality necessarily. It doesn't mean that they're not, but it just means that the Wi Fi chip inside this computer may not be as strong as some of the other devices you were talking about. Now, I test a lot of devices, and believe me, there is a wide range of Wi Fi reception on the various devices that I test. Like, for instance, Samsung phones have probably the best Wi Fi and cellular reception out of any device that I test. It's just the way they make them. Pixel probably has the worst Wi Fi reception. And that's also Google by the way, and so you know, an iPhone somewhere in between. So I think the first thing is has this been happening since you first got this Chromebook? No? No, okay, So it could be that this thing is, like you said, it's used a lot, but a year a very small amount of time for a computer. So what I would do is the neat thing about chromebooks is that you can factory reset them without losing the data because it's all basically done in the cloud. Like this, this computer is just something that you sign in with your Google account and you're browsing the web. Correct, yes, uh huh?
Speaker 11: And is it does it save all the passwords? I have a password saver?
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you're you have it saved in Google Passwords. Yeah, yeah, those will all be in there. So that's the beauty of this. So what I would do is just to save you and probably get you another year of this computer at least. I mean, you want a computer to last anywhere from four to you know, eight years. But what I would do is there's a thing called power wash. So have you heard of that on the chromebook? Okay, so you can basically powerwash this computer, which is a factory reset of the entire computer, so it's going to be back to the when you open this thing up for the first time. So that's what I would do, is what called the powerwash. I'll put the instructions on my website in the show notes rich on tech dot TV. But basically, you sign out of your Chromebook, you press and hold control alt shift are, and then you press restart. Okay, okay, so you sign out control alt shift are, select restart, and then you'll see a box and in that box you'll see powerwash and that basically the name implies what it's doing. It's giving your computer a power washing, which means it's going to clear out all the junk, clear out any settings that you changed, it's going to delete all the Wi Fi networks that you've connected to, and it's going to reset your Chromebook. And then once you reset it, you can open it up, sign back in with your Google account. Everything should be there and then hopefully the problem is fixed and you won't have this issue anymore, and that'll also get rid of any little lingering issues that might be happening. The only thing is you have to know is that ninety nine percent of what you're doing on the chromebook is in the cloud. Do you have any sort of oh, we got to go, but that that should be just fine just back up any fire that might be on an external drive. Great question, Daisy, Thanks so much for the call. Welcome back to rich on Tech Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology at eight eight eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two, four to one zero one. Kim is standing by, get you on the air. Bobo's dancing. I'm just doing my thing here on the mic. The website for the show rich on tech dot TV. If you're not following me on social media, check me out on Instagram. Got a couple of posts of note. If you want to see a trifolding phone, I've got that. A watch that has earbuds built into it. That's kind of cool. I think it's only available in Mexico, but it's still fun to look at. And then a couple I got my number one hotel hack number one. I am sharing all my secrets. By the way, I mentioned that WhatsApp is getting at so you probably see a lot of a lot of headlines about that. The thing is look all these companies of Meta, you know, Meta owns WhatsApp. They bought them. They got to make some money on it. So this is what they're doing. They're going to put ads in the updates tab. I never even looked at the updates tab until I just looked at this. It is basically like the status update area. So that's where you're going to start seeing ads if you're looking at that section. Most people, I think, are looking at the chats, which is what I use it for. WhatsApp was was instrumental in Mexico because there's you know, ten or fifteen of us on the trip, and we all have different phones, this and that, and I said, hey, can we just use WhatsApp. Let's just make a WhatsApp group. And it's perfect because everyone is It's a level playing field. WhatsApp works the same on every single device, So you want to send a big picture, video link, whatever, no matter what phone you have, you can use it. And so that's what people love. I mean, outside the US, WhatsApp is huge. I mean everyone uses it. Hearing the US people use it, but you know, I message is really kind of the king of everything. Sadly, I say, sadly, because again I like cross platform applications, and yes, I message has gotten a lot better with RCS versus you know, exchanging messages between iPhone and Android has gotten a lot better because of RCS. But still people are not I Message, and people get all bent out of shape. Oh you're making the group green or whatever. That's nonsense to me in a world of technology that should work equally well for everyone anyway. Besides the point, so your personal chats, your messages will remain ad free and most importantly, end to end encryptied, which is really what WhatsApp is all about. No one can tap into those messages that you sent on WhatsApp. No one, no government, no, not even Meta themselves. So that's why people like it because it is private and encrypted by default. Let's go to Sherry in Orange County. Sharry, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 5: Oh Rich, nice to meet you.
Speaker 1: Well, nice to meet you you too via phone.
Speaker 5: Okay, so my question is kind of a interesting, Uh dylmma, I have I've retired almost three years ago.
Speaker 10: Congratulations, thank you, and I have three issues.
Speaker 5: First off, on my iPhone, go in and I'm trying to enter in my email address. It goes to my work email address, and I've looked all over and I can't figure out how to remove that. It's like an instant thing.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, it's an instant thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like you know, you you start typing it in and a little auto we put in your email address.
Speaker 1: Oh auto fill, yes, yeah, go to.
Speaker 5: My work email. And then then the next two are that I set up the Facebook for my work years and years ago, and I also set up Instagram, and I guess I'm the main admin on it, and the girl that took over can't remove me because I'm I guess still working there and.
Speaker 2: Superior to her.
Speaker 5: But I don't know anyway. I need to figure out how to do that too. I know I probably have to make her the main admin too and then delete me, but I can't find.
Speaker 2: How to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, that's that the admin thing is, uh is? Yeah, I got to look into that because I'm not sure I've got I've got my wife as an admin on my page, and I gotta I gotta see if you can switch that. But let's let's tackle the the autofil first. I think where that's coming from is your There's two places that you can potentially do that first off, in your contacts if you go to your con If you go to your contacts and you go to yourself, which is my card up at the top, you should delete your work email out of there.
Speaker 5: Under my card?
Speaker 9: Did you say yes?
Speaker 1: Under my card? And so that's that's probably where it's populating that from the other place you can go is into settings and there is a keyboard. Let's see here, keyboard, let's see so is your is your email address in there?
Speaker 5: Well? I had like three emails in there, but it always goes to my work one first.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, so I would I would delete the work one out of there and just that way that that should probably fix that. But I'm going to look up under the keyboard on your computer there is reset keyboard dictionary, So I would tap that and see if that helps. Because what happened is if you if you selected that auto complete a couple of times throughout the years, your iPhone just learns that that's what you're using, and they kind of put that there at the top because it's it's just what they're doing.
Speaker 5: If I delete them all or delete before I do that, am I deleting everything? Then?
Speaker 1: Well? Do you have a lot of stuff in your custom keyboard. I don't think you do. I mean it probably chance, but I'm just wondering chances are you don't. I don't. It's just basically anything that the keyboard has learned over the years, like if you corrected someone's name or something like that. I don't think it's a big deal to start over on that. If that's my first first start with the contact Go to your contact card and delete out your work email address, and I think that should fix it. Restart your phone and see if that helps the next time you go to type in an email. For what it's worth, Sherry, uh. I. For some reason, the only email address my iPhone does not auto complete is my email address. It does every other email address in the world except mine, and I'm not sure why that's doing that. So I've got it in my contact let me just maybe, you know what, let me just make sure it's in my contact card now that I've got you here. Yeah, I've got it right there, and so I its just for some reason, it auto completes every other email address in the world except for mine. So that's it. Okay. Number two, change the admin on a Facebook page.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 5: Change it on Facebook. Is it also changing on Instagram or do you go both places?
Speaker 1: Uh? That I am not sure about. Usually with the with the if their accounts are linked. Are the accounts linked, Yeah, yeah, then it typically should change it on both. So what I would do is, I think now I'm just kind of imagining how you would do this, is that you would name the new person as an administrator. Have you done that?
Speaker 5: I haven't looked at it recently, but I probably did. But she said she wasn't the like maybe she was a contributor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would set her as the set her as the main admin or set her as an admin, and then if you can set her as the main admin and then you can go through and have her I think she might have to delete you so.
Speaker 13: And she said you couldn't go well, right.
Speaker 1: But she might not have been a complete admin, So I would I would go into there and check your Facebook settings. That's going to be under settings and then page roll. So let's see. Uh Facebook, It's Facebook settings are a nightmare. They are literally the worst. They are the worst setup of anything that I've seen on the Internet because there's just so many of them, and it depends if you're managing a page versus a private account, which in my case I have both, so I can't. I can't go through these on the air right here because there's just too many settings. But typically go into your settings on Facebook, look under page rolls, and if it's not page rolls, it could also be page set up, depending on the version of Facebook that you're using. I think you're probably using I would hope the new page experience, so that's under settings, and then page set up, and then choose the user, give them access and then you'll have to confirm that and then they can probably go through and delete you. Okay, all right, sure you have a little bit of homework.
Speaker 5: When I set up Facebook and then Instagram came into existence, and then I want to say they're connected, because that's how I got into Instagram, so it should be connected, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they should be connected like mine's connected because I mine's all under the same account, So as long as it's in the same account, it should be connected. I don't I don't if it's not, and you'll just have to do the same thing on Instagram.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: All right, Sherry, keep me posted. Go to Rich on tech Dot TV send me an email let me know if any of that stuff worked, because you know, sometimes I like do a follow up because we talk about a lot of stuff on this show, and I like to know if the things that we talk about actually work when you try to do them, because I can't do everything while I'm on the air because it's just's. I mean, like settings alone on Instagram. I'm looking at the page here, there's just there's so many and they change like every week. So I'm looking at my page setup. Okay, here we go, page set up, and I'm looking for the page recommendations, page access. Okay, here we go page access, and there's me and there's my wife, and okay, so if I yeah, I can set let's see remove access, remove access. Oh I can remove access to my own self. That's scary, but yeah. So if you look at it, it should be where you can add someone as an admin right there. And so that's what I would do and just add her as the admin, make sure she has complete access, and then she can go into this the people with Facebook access setting and delete you out. Good question eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Uh if you like Xbox Game Pass, you can get two months free if you have a Samsung TV or a monitor. So this is a new deal because Samsung has a new deal with EA Sports FC twenty five. I guess you can play it with no console on a Samsung TV or a monitor now, which is pretty cool. So this is in the Samsung Gaming hug Hub. But because they did that, they are giving people an Xbox game Pass UH subscriber two months. So two months of this for free. That's about twenty dollars a month. That's forty dollars. Yeah, are you familiar with game You're you know? What do you have? The Ultimate? Of course? Yeah? Now I've done so many free trials of this. I've never I think I've only paid for it one month. But I every every like gadget like computers and things they come with like a I don't know, just always I'm always getting like months of free.
Speaker 8: My only issue is now that Xbox Live is like twenty bucks a month they change, You're paying like one hundred and twenty dollars a year to game online. But the positive thing about Xbox Live Ultimate is you get literally most of their catalog to play.
Speaker 1: You can just download the games and play them. When you're done, want them to delete them and download something else. Most of the Microsoft games, most of the Microsoft game the big titles there, yeah, the major titles. Then you get them like a day early. Oh that's the cool thing. Yeah, what's the title? What is everyone playing right now? What are you playing? I'm still playing Fortnite and call them duty. But those like Fortnite doesn't cost anything, right, Like, you don't have to. I mean, you can play Fortnite for free, but if you get the Season Pass, it can cost you anywhere from eight ninety nine to you can get the subscription for I thinks twelve bucks a month. Oh wow, twelve dollars a month. But that you don't you get a lot with that. But you don't need game Pass to play for any game.
Speaker 8: What Xbox did was any game that is free to download, is free to play online.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh that's cool. Well, anyway, so if you want to, if you want to try to see if you can find this, uh this two free months of Xbox Game Pass. Go to the Samsung Promotions app on your TV, click the Xbox banner or scan the code and then put the code in at Xbox dot Com slash redeem two free months of Xbox Game Pass. There you go eighty and eight Rich one on one eight eight eight seven four two four one zero one more after this. Welcome back to Rich on Tech. Rich Demurro here hanging out with you, talking technology website for the show Rich on Tech dot TV. Let's go to uh Tom in or cut, California. Tom You're on with Rich by Rich.
Speaker 6: Thank you for calling me back. Great show.
Speaker 1: Thank you, glad glad to have you here. What can I help you with?
Speaker 6: I'm in the market for a new laptop. I have an old, old HP and I'm looking to pick up another laptop. I'm not into gaming, not into downloading movies or music. I guess I'm kind of boring. I mainly just surf the web, email, and pay my bills online. That's about basically all I use my laptop for. I had this HP for I'm still on a Windows seven if you believe.
Speaker 1: It, Oh my gosh, I burn it, burn that thing. Yeah I am, I'm just kidding. Don't don't. I don't want the environmental do do not burn batteries. Please do not burn your laptops properly.
Speaker 6: Recycled anyway, it's been working great. I have no complaints, but it's getting tired and it's been flown down, so I won't if you have any recommendations for another laptop.
Speaker 1: Now, how long have you had this laptop?
Speaker 6: Well, it's a Pavilion E seven thirteen thirty DX.
Speaker 1: Not TAB Oh my gosh, okay, HP.
Speaker 6: You know it's worth great.
Speaker 1: No, that's that's what I'm saying. I mean, look at this is the thing. Like we had a caller earlier wanted to upgrade their computer after one year. No, computers should be lasting minimum four years.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: If you're a power user like me, like I switch my I switch out my computer every usually every two to three years at the max. Right, But I'm a power user, so I need to do that. But if you're just an average user, that's like you said, you're just doing bills, you're just surfing the web. Your computer should last a long time. With a little bit of maintenance and just kind of keeping things nice and clean and up to date. You should have a computer that lasts a long time.
Speaker 6: So it's probably over fifteen twenty years I've had it.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. That's an incredible run.
Speaker 6: I'm looking up grade, okay, get in the twenty first century.
Speaker 1: So here's the thing. So I mean, when it comes to specs, what I would recommend is you don't need super high end stuff. So I'm just going to give you the basic specs I think you should be looking for. Okay, so number one Intel or AMD chip. Now, most of the chips these days are numbered, whether it's A three, five, seven, nine, So I would go for you, you probably just need a five. So Intel in Intel Core five, they have two different like levels of that, so one is like Intel Core one's Intel Core Ultra. You know Ultra obviously is gonna be a little bit better. It's got the AI stuff, but you'd be fine with the Core. So but yeah, Intel Core seven or Core five, or you can go with the a MD. I would say when it comes to am D, you know, same thing. You can go five or seven. But you know, they also have these new computers that have the Qualcomm chips in them, which is like a Snapdragon X. Those are gonna be a little bit less powered, but for what you're needing, they're gonna be just fine as well. So if you see a computer with snap Dragon X that's gonna be fine.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: Now when it comes to memory, uh, the other one is uh, the memory you probably want. You probably want minimum sixteen gigs of memory, So that's RAM. And when it comes to the graphics, you know, the do GPU like, you don't need a separate graphics if it's built into the CPU, that's fine. Memory sixteen gigs is fine if you want to make this thing. I mean, your last computer lasted so long. If you want to go thirty two gigs to make it last even longer, that's great. Storage. You want a I would say probably five twelve to one terabyte gig hard drive and most of the time these are going to be SSD drives. That's going to be much faster than a standard hard drive. Let's see what else. And of course you just want to look for your USB C ports. You want to make sure it has that. You want good wireless. I think that's going to do it. So brands specifically, I think the brand to look at that I really like as the a SEUs. I like two brands. The Vvo Book is going to be sort of an overall great computer, the Vivo Book. They often go on sale at best Buy, so do not pay full price, but like this one that I'm looking at, this VVO book S fourteen, which is highly rated. It's nine hundred and fifty dollars. This thing been on sale for as low as like five hundred dollars, So definitely be on the lookout for, you know, deals on that. And you want something that has a big screen, make sure you get fifteen fourteen fifteen sixteen inch screen is going to be best, especially if you're using your computer for all those years. The other one I like is the one I'm using over here. This is a a sus Zen book that's going to be a little bit more expensive, a little more sleek and slick, but that's a really good one as well. So those are two good laptops, but really, any laptop that you find that has those specs that I mentioned, I think you're going to good with Tom. Thanks for the call and thanks for using a computer that long great for the world. Coming up, we're going to talk to Molly to Frank, host of digit Our, author of Digital DTOs, a two week tech reset for kids. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich On tech dot tv is the website. Joining me now is Mollie de Frank. She's got a new book called Digital Detox, The two Week Tech Reset for Kids. Mollie, thanks for joining me today.
Speaker 13: Thanks for having me rich.
Speaker 1: So, this is a problem that is happening everywhere when I was in I was in Mexico City this week and I was watching I'd love to watch how people use their phones and on the plane, just everywhere. And so this is not just kids, but like pretty much everyone is in this swiping culture of flip flip flip flip flip, Like attention span is like one second and it's getting out of control. So what inspired you to write this book?
Speaker 14: Well, as a mom to six kids, I hear exactly what you're saying. It definitely resonates, And honestly, it was out of our own experience. My kids had too much technology and I did not appreciate how much their digital entertainment was squashing their creativity.
Speaker 13: It was putting them in bad moods.
Speaker 14: It was making them fight with each other in ways that I had not seen. It made my own childhood squabbles look like nothing in comparison. I was watching, like wwe live in my living room, and I knew something had to change. So we actually did some thing crazy, and we took away all of their digital entertainment and it solved probably eighty percent of our parenting problems. And I couldn't believe it. So I wrote this book about how to help other parents do it. And I've had so many parents come back to me and say, I cannot believe how quickly and how well this worked in my family.
Speaker 1: So well, you described what was happening in your family, You describe what's happening in like ninety nine percent of households in America right now, and it happens in mine too. I mean, I feel like I call my kids like iPad zombies. When they're on their iPad, it's like nothing else in the world matters. And I've said this many times. When I was a kid, you know, I was outside, I was and I'm not. Look. I get that the world has changed in the time since I was a kid, and I get it, But at the same time, you still need to be a kid, and when you're on your screen, you're just not like it's very different of how you're developing as a child.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 14: Absolutely, and to be honest, like it's a very difficult time to parent right now. Because we're looking back at our childhood going, yeah, pack me and all that.
Speaker 13: I grew up on that stuff.
Speaker 14: It's fine Saturday morning cartoons, but the technology has changed so much over one generation that it's not the same. And just like you mentioned, you've got these kids, they're like iPad kids. They look like zombies. They're addicted to these devices. So parents are kind of scratching their heads, going, gosh, the marketing told me, you know, giving my kids a tablet early would turn them into a rocket scientist. But that's not what I'm seeing. I'm seeing kids who are bored and irritable and ornery. And what went wrong and what we know and what we're seeing us the research is just pouring out, is that this is not the same technology, and it's purposefully designed to addict our kids, and there are there are very little, if any redemptive value in our kids digital entertainment right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, And I actually think this may turn out to be the Tobacco of this generation. Like it really, like like you said, there's a lot of studies, but like parents don't want to believe it, and it's so ingrained in how kids function these days, Like when it comes to keeping it in touch with kids and playing video games. Like everything's online on the everything filters through the screen, and so that also makes it a challenge. So what is kind of the framework of your two week digital detalks.
Speaker 14: Yes, so I recommend parents, if you notice in your kids that they're irritable or they have their interests really don't go beyond the screen. If the screen timer dings and they fall apart, if you tell them go play outside, build a fort, read a book, they say that's boring. Those are red flags that shows you my kids might need a reset, they might need to do a digital detox. So I recommend going cold turkey no digital entertainment for two full weeks. And I know that sounds really scary, but I promise you can do it and it will absolutely change your life.
Speaker 13: It'll change your kids for the better.
Speaker 1: Now, okay, so once you do the two week digital detoks, then how do you reintroduce all this stuff?
Speaker 14: Yes, great question, because the goal here is not to move off the grid and go full like ma angles on everyone. I mean, maybe that's your goal, it wasn't ours.
Speaker 13: We enjoy digital entertainment.
Speaker 1: That's like a little house in the Prairie reference. I don't know.
Speaker 13: Oh yeah, we love Little House Egad.
Speaker 1: I got that.
Speaker 14: Yeah, we called my kids call it l HOP. They've like given it a nickname as an acronym, LHOP. Anyway, we love that show.
Speaker 13: It's a great Yeah, it's quality programming.
Speaker 14: But yes, So the goal isn't to move off the grid completely. The goal is to put technology in its right place. So the first half of the book is all the details, what to do in the trenches if you take your kids technology away, how to get through the days when they're losing their minds ideas for what to do for every type of family. And then the second half of the book is how to make a new long term plan that sustains those great results while you're still using and enjoying digital entertainment in its right place.
Speaker 13: That was really important to our family.
Speaker 14: My kids love Mario Kart together, they love, you know, with some video games with a friend, and we don't need to have shame or stress over these things once we've agreed that now this is the right place for it.
Speaker 13: You know, it's a lot.
Speaker 14: You can kind of compare it to sugar in our world and our culture and our standard American diet, there's so much sugar, and if you take it all out and you do like a sugar detox, you're going to taste your food a lot better and you're gonna realize, Gosh, I did not need that much sugar. Once in a while, treat is fine. Similar with your kids digital entertainment, you take it all away. Now their taste buds, their creativity, what they're interested in is completely changed. It's a lot healthier, and then you can decide, yeah, a treat once, you know, every now and again. But our kids today, the standard American screen diet, eight to twelve year old kids are spending forty hours per week on digital entertainment, and thirteen to eighteen year olds are spending fifty hours a week. I mean, these kids are like working the equivalent of a full time job on just digital entertainment that doesn't even count school.
Speaker 1: I always think that about I always say that to my kids. I'm like, you're doing this like it's a job, Like you literally act like it's your job to be on like Minecraft and what's the other thing, roadblocks. I'm not a fan of roadblocks Minecraft. I'll you know, I know it's silly but I don't mind it as much. But roadblocks I really take issue with because I feel like it is ninety nine point nine percent nonsense in that world. Yeah, and I think.
Speaker 14: That's great too, because I'm all about parents choosing the best technology that fits their kids.
Speaker 13: No one knows your kids like you do, so I don't think.
Speaker 14: Parents need to feel shame or stress about their rules compared to someone else's rules. You know, if you have a kid with ADHD, for example, you're probably going to notice that that child maybe responds or reacts more negatively to tablet time or video gaming.
Speaker 13: They might fall apart worse afterwards.
Speaker 14: And maybe you have another kid who doesn't have ADHD, who can handle a little more without falling apart.
Speaker 13: And there's science to support that.
Speaker 14: So take confidence as mom or dad, and no, gosh, I'm going to make these rules that fit for my family and my family's values, and I'm not going to feel stressed about it. But I just really want to encourage parents there's a way to get back in the driver's seat, because most parents just feel out of control.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now we are getting into the summer yours. A lot of kids are already in their summer break, So it seems like the worst possible time for parents to start this digital detox. So how do you get started with this? Like, how do you get the buy in from the kids, the spouse, everyone.
Speaker 14: Actually riche The summer is the best time to start a digital detox because I promise you you will enjoy your kids more for the rest of the summer when they're not a screen zombie. Okay, Like, if your kids are losing their minds, they're falling apart, they can be unpleasant to be around when they're amped up on their devices. But if you can plan out two weeks right at the front end of your summer, most families I help report that either it's easy immediately, It's like flipping a switch. That's how it was with my kids. Some families say the first day or two can be difficult, their kids are complaining, they're getting used to it. But really, what you're doing is you're resetting the dopamine levels in your kids' brains, because these devices are purposefully engineered to release so much dopamine in the brain that, by comparison the dopamine that kids are getting from things in the real world, it doesn't even register. So that's what you're doing. You're giving them a dopamine reset. And now after a couple of days, after two weeks, now they can look around and actually enjoy going for a walk or going for a bike ride, or you know, reading a book.
Speaker 1: So you're just reawakening simple things. Oh my gosh, little how do you? I mean, how do you? I always say, how do you compare with this world? There's like this world on your screen is like there's so much going on, and when you sit down to like read a book or do something simple or just play in the backyard, it's like it's also simple. It's like, wait, it doesn't you know, it doesn't fire all these cylinders. Like you said, the dopamine hit all right, so we got a run. But one tip, what's a small step parents can take if they can't go all in on the detox right away, what's one small step they can take to reduce the screen overload.
Speaker 14: I really recommend you get the book Digital Detalks. I recommend you do some research. There's a lot of great research out there. Jonathan Height has a lot of great data about the effects this technology is having on our kids. And then I would say, talk with your spouse, have a conversation about when to do with detox. Even if you want to do a mini one over a weekend, you know, talk it through.
Speaker 13: I think that if you're.
Speaker 14: Trying the same old thing, setting timers, taking it away, adding on more screen time later for better behavior, it's not It doesn't work. And I think you know if you're listening to your parent, that doesn't work because you need to do a full dopamine reset. So I recommend doing some research, plan a date, put it on the calendar, grab a friend, try it.
Speaker 13: You won't get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, Mollie de Frank. The book is Digital Detox, the two week Tech Reset for Kids. Now, are you going to do one for adults next? Because you know all the things you just mentioned are the same thing with adults. We can just our brains are just more engineered to handle all this nonsense.
Speaker 14: Check out the last chapter, Rich, it's about digital de talks for mom and dad.
Speaker 1: Cover there we go. All right, thanks so much for joining me on the show. Rich on tech dot tv is the website to go to if you want to link to Molly to Frank's book. Time to Flip the Switch, Get those kids off those screens, get them outside, find some worms under rocks. You're listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you, talking technology. We're gonna get to the feedbag. Oh my gosh, so many you know. I come in every week with like a million things to talk about. I don't always get to all of them, but I do want to mention a couple of things. First off, there's a new camera app from Adobe called Indigo. This was developed by two of the original creators of the Pixel and Google camera app. So if you want to upgrade the camera app on your iPhone, maybe you have an older iPhone, this will work all the way back to iPhone twelve pro and up. So yeah, check it out. It's Indigo. I've been trying it out and it just gives you a lot more control uses computational photography and if you like I mean, this may not be for like the casual average, but if you like to edit things in light room and Adobe, this is probably for you. So the goal is to give your iPhone photos a more natural, sl art style look. So again it's called the Indigo Camera. If you just like to try, you know, camera apps. That one's really cool. The other one I was posting a lot of pictures with was the West Camera app on iPhone and it gives your pictures that old filmic quality. The other thing to look at on my instagram is why your web browser matters because Duc Ducco has this new scam blocker feature that can detect fake online sites, crypto scams, virus pop ups, and yeah, it's really good. It actually works. So if you click a link on your phone or your computer that is going to lead you to a website that's going to try to steal information from you, this will stop it. And I tested a bogus like a phony website on both Duc duc Go Chrome and Safari and Brave. Duc Duco and Chrome blocked the website and said warning, warning, Warning, Safari and Brave let you go right to the website. So if you're trying to protect yourself from being tricked, you might want to consider changing your default web browser on your computer and your phone. And that's on my instagram at richon Tech you can read more about that. All right, let's get to the feedback. We've got a lot to get through. John Wrights In I picked up a set of shocks Open Run pro to sport headphones at Best Buy phenomenal sound. I got tired of earbuds jammed in my ears and over the year headphones were just too bulky for workouts. These are lightweight, stay put, and you never sweat into them. Definitely worth checking out, John, Yes, I do love the Shocks Open Run. I don't know what model number I have, but I've been testing them out and yeah, they're great because they use what's called bone conduction, so you put them basically, they don't go in your ears at all. They sit on your face, like almost right in front of your ears, and then go around the back of your neck. Yes, they do sound great. I'm not as good as like traditional air pods or headphones, like you said, but if you want to be more aware of your surroundings, you don't want anything in your ears. That's going to be a great great alternative shocks open run earbuds or headphones. I guess you call them. Ken writes in I recently bought a Moto G five G phone and I've been trying over and over to get the eSIM working with no luck. I'm using consumer cellular, and eventually they just had to send me a physical SIM card. Is this a common problem? By the way, I was born in Manhattan. They used to love looking across the river at the amusement park on the New Jersey side. I enjoy listening to your show. Thank you, Ken. Yeah, eSIMs are hit or miss. Sometimes they work perfectly and flawlessly. Other times. Yeah, you'll get some issues with them, but I would say for the majority of people they probably work pretty well. But a physical SIM offers more flexibility because it can be easily moved from phone to phone if you're switching phones a lot. But on the flip side, the eSIM is embedded into the phone, so there's no moving parts, there's nothing to lose, nothing to pop out, and it's easy to switch theoretically from one phone to another. So maybe in the future you can give another run, But you probably want to go into a physical store if they had one, to get some help with that next time around. Elizabeth writes in Hey, Rich, I listen to the radio show every week. I really enjoy it. I'm not tech savvy, but your show has helped me learn so much. I use all Mac devices, which I love, but I run a PC just for my CAD program. Not long ago, you recommended a great simple printer that scans copies prints. I wrote it down but lost the note. Could you remind me? Yes, the simple printer I mentioned was the Brother. Let me make sure this is the right thing that I wrote down here, this is the brother yep, oh see this is not it you wanted the one. That's uh. I got to look in the show notes, but it's been well. Great question. Great answer your question, because I don't even have it. Let's see if I can find this. I see them using up all my feedbag time. Here. Let's see if I can find this quickly. Brother. Here we go. Nope, nope, nope, yep, here it is. Nope, Okay, I gotta look it up. But yeah, it's a Brother printer. It's gosh. Okay, Well, off to come back to that one. Let's go to Bob writes and I use unique passwords for every site I visit and rely on a password manager Bitwarden to generate and store them. But today there are login issues with Bitwarden's US servers, which means that functionality is compromised. Luckily, I have copies of the really important passwords. Just a reminder. In the digital world, anything can break, that is true. The downside of you using a password manager, if you can't log into it, that could be a problem. So be sure you save the master password and the recovery password, and you can export your passwords out of there to save. But you got to be careful because that's usually unencrypted, and so if you just have that file floating around in your computer, that could be really bad. So maybe for your main passwords to like Gmail, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, maybe keep those written down somewhere in a safe in your house. Good reminder. Richard and Washington say says, Hey, rich I have a number of friends who use the blank box. I'm not going to say the name, and rave about how it lets them watch free content. Is this legit or is it like Napster? Too good of a thing to last? Yeah, Richard, I do not recommend any of these gray market streaming boxes. They usually operate in a legal gray area, streaming content without proper rights or licenses. The box itself, the software may not be updated. It could expose you to different things. So I cannot recommend those in any way, shape or form. Stick to the legitimate streaming services. Sarah writes in, Hey, Rich, it seems there's no whisper Flow for Android. Is there anything similar? No, I have not found a similar app. Whisper Flow is excellent for voice to text on the iPhone. They are coming to Android. It's just a matter of when. Gabriel writes in, Hey, my name is Gabriel. I really enjoy your show. I'm listening on twelve eighty KIT using a nineteen forty seven tube radio and I love it. Just wanted to share this thought. I can't imagine what the CEOs of RCA, Zenith or Ge in the nineteen forties would think if they saw their product still working in the twenty twenties broadcasting the rise of AI technology. That is so cool. Thanks for Gabriel from Yakima, Washington. Oh my gosh. Anna in Long Beach says you can make the Chevyes sweet corn cake at home chee cheese sweet corn cake mix from Walmart. Just add butter, water and water and a can of cream corn bacon and joy. There you go. And Joel writes in to say he enjoys the newsletter and podcasts and watches me on TV. He appreciates all the valuable info and just wants to say thanks. Well, thank you, Joel. Your email made my day. All right, that's going to do it for this episode of the show links everything I mentioned on the website. Rich on tech dot TV. Coming up next week. Todd Weavers, CEO of Pure Purism. They make privacy first smartphones and one made in the USA. One reminder before I go, please do not text and drive. Whatever it is, it can wait. It's not your safety, it's the safety of everyone around you. Thanks everyone who makes this show possible. Bobo Kim. My name is rich Dedmiro. I will talk to you real soon.