Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 3: Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This is the Players Lounge, broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts Barry Church, Danny McCrae, heckma Harrison, and new He scrugs.
Speaker 3: Hey, here we are the off season.
Speaker 1: Edition of the Players. We have time for you to the crew.
Speaker 4: Danny McCrae, Heck Maharrison, Barry Church, I've knew, he scrugs, and boy, things have changed since we last sat here at the table.
Speaker 3: Have a notice about things.
Speaker 4: Dan Quinn, It took two years longer than I thought, but Dan Quinn is now out of here.
Speaker 3: He is the head coach of the Washington Command.
Speaker 1: No, and then we all think it was gonna be the Seahouse. Everybody, everybody, Mama thought he was going to Seattle.
Speaker 4: There was a whole bunch of connections to people thought. I mean the people in Washington. My folks were swearing up and down it was gonna be Ben Johnson the Lions OC and didn't happen. So they had me on the NBC Washington basically trying to calm the natives down because.
Speaker 3: They mad about Dan Quinn up there, they sat, they are salty about like that man, we want him. He's retread.
Speaker 4: I mean they there's a truckload of fans up there disappointed to day.
Speaker 1: They call it retread. Yes, wow, are you kidding me? Wow? So be checking him? Are the two coaches out there who were actually looking for a job they had been going to a Super Bowl?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 1: Ain't they mad about that?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, franchise that ain't did nothing in years.
Speaker 3: That's wild, that's wild.
Speaker 4: And so the other prevailing thought disappointment out there is that their new GM Adam Peters like you couldn't get who you wanted, and that they said Ben Johnson was asking fifteen million.
Speaker 3: They want to pay the price. And then the.
Speaker 4: DC fan base is saying, well, this guy is basically Ron Ravera.
Speaker 3: That is what So I said.
Speaker 4: I did it a little thing for NBC Washington, and it was talking about DQ and and one of the things I said is you have to get out of your mind. Twenty eight to three. Now, that's what you have to get out of your mind. Because I was there too when they brought him in right here. I'm like, come on, man, this is the twenty three guy and then and then you know, things went downhill in Atlanta. We saw a totally different person and where fan bases and people in general can forget. We are never who we are on our worst day. We're never that right true.
Speaker 1: Take it for me. Take it from me, man, you don't miss a shott. That's how you're doing.
Speaker 3: Listening.
Speaker 4: So for DQ and he's done here. This guy people, he's predictable, he's this, he's at dan Quinn was nothing but good here?
Speaker 1: Nothing?
Speaker 3: What about that forty Green Bay put on you in the playoffs that bad day?
Speaker 4: But it wasn't just deep you And I said, anybody on that D line making all Pro at the D tackle spot. If you're gon beat the Cowboys, we can run on them. It's been a problem for a few years now. Dan Quinn no control money. They try to draft somebody. This dude decided to go on the slim fast. That's crazy, late Vander, I said, Man, this defense was Scott's taped together by the Indy over did a really good job, I said.
Speaker 3: And I talked about Tyrone.
Speaker 4: Blandarn Bland, I said, dron Bland leads the league in picks two years ago before that you had Digs lead the league.
Speaker 3: Pick anybody want to check what this defense was and I might know it.
Speaker 4: I'm like, man, folks in DC and like you've got a good coach, and go look at everybody he hired in Atlanta.
Speaker 3: You see that.
Speaker 1: Atlanta staff, think you That's my thing about a twenty eight to three thing where everybody's like, okay, they got an issue with that. The coaching staff that was there, them dudes is out there too, all right, how we ain killing more? It is killing more that Shanny was the offensive coordinator out there. Okay. So if Sanahan was going to Washington would be saying the same thing. But essentially twenty eight to three, you're looking at your office coordinator, say, man, all we have to do is hold on. All we got to do is hold on you out here getting stripsack fumbled, you know what I'm saying for touchdowns all this other type of stuff. So when you look at that game organization, like the Cowboys, who hasn't gone to the Super Bowl, NFC championship is so long, and you over it, hate on the duke. Washington ain't done nothing since RG three numbers there and they overill complain about that. I don't understand.
Speaker 3: Shanahand lost ten point leader Super Bowl to thet. You can't see the chief talking.
Speaker 1: About got to say this, man, I don't think that when the decision came down, I wasn't surprised. I don't think any of us was surprised. You've been talking about DQ leaving for two years now, so I think the organization has had plenty of runway to make a decision on who is going to succeed him as the defensive coordinator for the Commanders. They get a guy that falls in their lap, that has approven commodity in the NFL. So he's and you hear the way that the players talked about him while he was leaving, what Michael said about him, what everybody's ever been coached about him says about him. And now his staff that he's putting together, Joe Waddes, DC, Cliff Kingsbury. Now O see, I mean things are looking up from in Washington, when for so long they had no hope anyway. So look like I said, I wasn't surprised. I wasn't when he took the job. I was. I really thought he was going to be in Seattle, So I mean going to the Commanders, I'm not I'm not really indifferent about it. The one thing that I'm waiting on is where they come draft, because if they get Caleb Williams, I think that's the thing that really makes him in that position even more interesting because we know him as a defensive coordinator, but now he's going to have a top quarterback in his hands and how's he going to work that? So just in a football sense, but d q's got to get his flowers for what he did here. All that talk twenty eight three whatever, man, that's what else, that's nonsense. They got a really good coach and I appreciate what he did im with.
Speaker 3: Y'all on now.
Speaker 6: I think Washington got an extremely solid higher And when you're talking about Dan Quinn, not only the guy on the football field, but what he's able to do in the culture in the locker room.
Speaker 1: You know what he was able to do here turning this thing around defensively.
Speaker 6: And Mike McCarthy has a lot of credit to that as well, But dan quit on the defensive side of the ball, had those guys flying. You know, they're playing like their heroes on fire. They woul run through a brick wall for their coach, and that's what you love to see. So to me, he's a ultimate players coaching those guys in Washington. They should open, you know, open their arms to him. So I think it was an extremely good higher And you make a great point when you talk about that number two pick that they got right now, because I believe Washington they got pieces around. I mean, they're not just a scrub team out there. I think there's one quarterback away from kind of being competitive saying that they're gonna, you know, go to the super Bowl anything like that, but being competitive. I think they're one quarterback away. They got the pieces offensively, and we know what dan Quinn could bring to a defense. You got those Bama boys on the inside. You know, they need some help in the secondary, in the on the second level. But that's something I believe dan Quinn can fix. We saw here when he came into Dallas that Nolan defense was god offing.
Speaker 1: They had what I think.
Speaker 6: Eleven draft picks that that year, and they used a lot of them on defense and pretty much restructured that entire defense and turned it all around to where the defense was the strength of his team for almost two years, you know, going into the back half of this year.
Speaker 1: So to me, I think it's an extremely good hire for Washington and we'll see what they do.
Speaker 6: Because if you look at the OC they hired, was it at Cliff Kingsbury. Yes, worked with Caleb Williams over there at the USC, so they got a connection going there. So to me, they're going in the right direction. And I don't see why. You know, the Washington fan basis is upset about this.
Speaker 1: You finally got you know, he sent Dan Quinn packing about two weeks ago than you all, So who else you gonna take?
Speaker 3: Witty?
Speaker 7: So take it out to the interesting party man taking it out with you already come here anyway, he might have his own guys.
Speaker 4: Therein lies that next domino effect of who becomes the d C. So the interviews started today at nine o'clock. A dirty the defensive line coach who DQ worked within the past or he's going to be interview. Ron Rivera is supposed to get an interview, former Washington head coach, and then Mike zimmer A, former Viking's head coach and former defensive coordinator. Here these are the people right now that are scheduled that we've heard about when we when Dan Quinn got hired. The conversation we had on the show, I believe it was before you got here. Heckman was if you bring in the DC, you need to let him bring in his guys, the people who understand what it is he wants dirty right there on the D line. Then you had Joe Witt in the back. These are guys that DQ knew, and the DQ also worked with D Line as well, and did George Edwards, and DQ had a really good thing going. He bringing someone else? Do you help him bring in his own guys? Because these coaches are all on one year deals. I mean to me, Joe went played it perfectly. He went up there with DQ. You got more years. You're here on a one year deal. You don't know up there?
Speaker 1: You good.
Speaker 3: He's gonna let you call the D the way you want to. And so you're strange.
Speaker 4: So but understand, Al Harris can't just go from here to Washington. It's only if you get a promotion. So with got a promotion, you could leave. So you just can't dirty, just can't say right, they got contracts, got contracts, and so that's gonna be very interesting on who.
Speaker 3: They decide to hire.
Speaker 4: And I'll tell you this, Heck, I'm surprised they don't have more of a ready to go well.
Speaker 1: I mean, I really think a masterclass should be taught in Jerry Jones' decision not to sign Mike McCarthy to an extension on his coaching deal, to make him coach a one year deal. That's the one thing that's tying this whole thing up because I think Joe Witt had to make a decision based on that, and I think other coaches will make a decision based off of that. If you're on the outside of the Cowboys organization, you know, if you come here, you're coming on a one year deal, and if you have all the variables that come with that, ie family, the OG. I guess whatever it is, do you go somewhere for one year and not have the security that you said how Joe Witten positioned himself perfectly for a five year deal going with DQ. Look, I think the sensible thing to do is that the defensive coordinator is already on your staff.
Speaker 3: I think you go to the guy that you have in house.
Speaker 1: Okay, I believe it's my fault it's my endorsement that I'm saying Al Harris should be that guy, because I think here is what you have and Dan Quinn as a players coach, a guy that's as far as the players are concerned, gonna have your respect off the top. And you know that he's a guy that understands defense, so the only way to maneuver. And he's a Mike McCarthy guy as well, so that takes the whole equation out of it.
Speaker 3: You don't have to go with a guy on the outside.
Speaker 1: And I'm sure they're interviewing all these guys, but that's where my recommendation, and I'm with you.
Speaker 6: On that, to promote somebody within house, because now if you bring somebody else from the outside, like you said, they're gonna have to bring their own guys. And we've been there where guys kind of stayed in that new DC came in and the guys that were a part of the old regime kind of have that, you know, belief in this system. And that guy's bringing my system. Y'all gotta you gotta teach them this way. You got to teach them that way, and they butt hands. I mean, we've seen it time and time again they butt heads in the secondary where it's like, no, we want to teach them this way. We want to teach cover three this way, and our guy Drome Henderson was like, no, we want to go this way.
Speaker 1: This is how this team.
Speaker 6: I've been with these guys for different and you butt hands that way and that, and that's how communication eras start and that's how you get busted in the secondary and busting the defensive overall.
Speaker 1: So if you bringing a new guy, they're gonna have to clean house. I mean they gonna have to.
Speaker 6: So I'm with it as far as bringing somebody from within the organization that's already there, already knows these players, already knows how they like to play, the defenses and all that good stuff, so we'll see how they go.
Speaker 1: I'm not on the same page as y'all. Like I believe in dan Quinn his ability to call the players at the right time and then motivate the guys in a certain way. And I even though you still have the same system, you do not have the dan Quinn to make that system go. So I think, to me, it's different. You are interviewing guys who if you're interviewing them, you assume that they understand the situation as well, and you also know that they have their guys who they're probably contacted already saying, hey man, you got your bags packed and you're ready to go, because if I get this job, you're coming with me. This is the situation, all right. We already know what the Mike McCarter situation is. He has one year left on his deal. But we're going here for X reason, all right, and if it works, it works. If it doesn't, it's done, it doesn't, and you okay, And then these coaches take these interviews. If you got a guy who's going to come in understanding that and it's able to bring in something new, not trying to do the same thing with a different person on somebody else's scheme, than I would go in that direction. Like I just I don't know how confident I am one because, like you said, at the end of the year, we were sitting there saying, I don't know, right, he still said, we've been having trouble in the run game for years. We haven't been able to get that figured out, even with Dan Quinn here. So I just don't think doing the same thing with a different person is going to equal success in the way that the all in success that you're saying that you're trying to go get. Let me just all I'm saying is the time, proof and consistency is not with Al Harris as a play caller and a defensive coordinator. I think he's a guy that understands how you use your key pieces that you have right now. A new coach, he's not going to bring in a three four because you don't have the personnel for it. And that's a complete overhaul. Like you just said, playing cover three, although it's the same, certain guys like to call it different. The success that you're having right now with your cornerback room with the run Bland guys like that Trayvon Diggs, You're having that success because one you have a coordinator or a cornerbacks coach that really speaks directly to these guys, these guys' language, even Michael Parson's, how you use him, And don't forget that you have a piece in Michael Parsons that you still have to specialize your defense around. Let's not forget that any other defensive coordinator when he comes in here, the first piece he wants to touch is Michael Parsons? How do you use number eleven? I just want to sit down with Al Harris and see how what's his scheme, What's he gonna do.
Speaker 4: Here's the issue so far, I'm talking about Al Harris. He's not listed absolutely only the candidate list right now. Maybe he will be, but right now we're talking about something.
Speaker 1: That isn't possibility. Yeah, like why you know they.
Speaker 4: See We're seeing something they're not seeing, and that becomes that conversation. You guys all do this when you talk to your cowboy fans and they ask you questions, you try to talk to him. I can talk to you in terms of what they're doing or what you want me to think or or I'm thinking, because just because I think that way, it don't matter the way.
Speaker 3: It's about what I get and I'm with you. Al Harris, I think is a pretty dog on good dude.
Speaker 4: But at the same time, man, I I look at the Rams. They just promoted Shula, Shula's grandson to be the DC. They keep promoting guys, you know, from from from within what they're doing and younger people. When when you start to see Zimmer and rivera, I start to say, well, this is gonna be some fresh ideas, or are we gonna look at some younger people.
Speaker 3: We're just gonna keep on finding people who.
Speaker 1: Used to do want to super Bowl? Who was the defense cordinator?
Speaker 3: It was Rahee Morris. And and and I'll say this about Raheem.
Speaker 4: I always thought that Raheem Morris was a guy who got a job young.
Speaker 3: It was a tough situation.
Speaker 4: Who was sitting here at a spot where he was good at but was more was you know, where, not where he needed to be. I've always thought Raheem Morris was head coach and a guy worthy of a second dag.
Speaker 3: He finally got it. But Brandon Staley was the defensive coordinator for the Rams before that. And sorry.
Speaker 1: But but you know, for some.
Speaker 4: Crazy reason, Raheem Warris got lost more text where normally that doesn't happen to people who are talented and young and good, but it happened to him.
Speaker 3: Luckily he got out of it. But here's McVeigh, you know, just like he did with the coach the Bengals.
Speaker 4: You know that guy had you know, he was his old seven know he was calling the plays and Zac Taylor ended up going from there. I mean several coaches off mcday's tree that were younger, younger people that he gave shots to were able to get out of there. So if you're the Cowboys at some point in time, do you decide.
Speaker 1: To do that? I don't know. I just heard you say fresh ideas, and I don't think promoting from inside trying to keep the same voice, same system as a fresh idea. I just I just don't feel that way when you think about, Okay, the wars that we had on defense and how you are going to change those warts on defense, because we know we're not going to go any further if we are going into another year of not being able to stop the run. We know what pieces we have on the outside with On Diggs, darn Blain, we know we have Michael Parsons in there. But as far as you making the correct changes, which we've tried. We drafted defensive line, they bridgeway, We got them out of here in the ear and we now we got hangers. I remember, uh no, no, who's the no no, no, no, Remember Nolan was here. They got him out of here real quick, big boy about Terry, when you when you think about it, like how Dad Quinn wasn't even here that, but you're just thinking about, okay, new ideas and that it went from Don Terry Poe to Dan Quinn coming in new ideas on the defensive line and we still ain't found a way to get it done. What do you have to do to figure out a way to say, you know what, our defensive line is going to be the strength of our team. But Danny, I think where I'm caught is that I feel like next season you have to raise expectations for your team.
Speaker 3: They have to be they have to have some belief in who you bring in.
Speaker 1: Whether I mean we were talking about the defensive coordinator from Kansas City him, you know, coaching the New York Giants and to where they are right now. I just feel like the expectation for these players has to be has to be listened to. And if it's eight and thirty, if it's Al Harris, I don't I just believe your defensive failings, the warts, as you called them, was just one thing. The running game they running and if you can get that stop, if you can find a way to scheme up to get that stop, I think your defense is leaps and bounds better need linebackers too.
Speaker 4: All right, let's get our first break in here, right here, all the players that I brought to you by Tostitos, Berry, Church, heck Ma Harrison, Danny McCrae, I'm new he scruggs. We also have a Super Bowl to speak about here, and we do need to make our predictions for this game. Lots happened since we last met. As the Cowboys now are looking to fill the DC spot. Who knows who else they have to feel because Joey Junior is leaving the Cowboys to go to Washington and join DQ as the defensive quarter art. We'll do it next right here on Dallas Cowboys dot com Radio.
Speaker 8: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans could get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order, plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lift ball. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack Black dot com. Slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 9: Hi.
Speaker 1: I'm Danny McCrae, Dallas Cowboys alumni player here with Smoothie King, and Smoothie King wants to ask you, what's that sound. That's the sound of us magically transforming our Smoothie bows into two new decadent flavors. Dig into a cool Isai or Pataya bowl, handcrafted with crunchy purely Elizabeth Rinola fresh strawberries and finished with the velvety chocolate hazel nut drizzle, perfect for breakfast, lunch, or anytime you want to munch. And that's the sound of you making them disappear. Smoothie bowls now in two new decadent flavors, only at Smoothie King, the official smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 10: To kick off the twenty twenty three NFL season, Hugo Boss teamed up with the NF and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection featuring hoodies, crews, T shirts, polos, joggers, and more. The bold, unique apparel of the Boss NFL collection unites football and fashion while reflecting what it truly means to be a boss. Get yours today at nflshop dot com, slash Hugo Boss, at Hugo Boss dot com and at Boss retail stores hashtag be your own Boss.
Speaker 11: There is no eye in Dallas. There is no eye in heart, either no eye in Blue Star or a loan Star for that matter, And there's no eye in How about them Cowboys? Smeirenov knows there's no eye in football. Football is a wee thing and experience that is best enjoyed together with good drinks and good folks home or away. We rally together, we cry together, and we always rally cry together because there's definitely no eye in Cowboys. Fans smear enough we do game days. Please drink responsibly.
Speaker 3: To the Players Lounge.
Speaker 1: Enjoy excellent donning, boutique shopping, exciting events in the Star District in Frisco, featuring dozens of North Texas best restaurants and shops, plus a calendar full of family friendly events. There's always something to shop, don and do in the Star District. Visit the Star District dot com for more information.
Speaker 3: Thank you, heck Ma Harrison. You are in the Players Lounge. The Players of Barry Church and Danny mccre I knew he scruggs.
Speaker 6: By the way, Church, congratulations, say your man from all that.
Speaker 3: He's a lot of first a lot of candy out there.
Speaker 1: I was like, man, I could use one of those.
Speaker 7: I'm just.
Speaker 1: So you get one potential first round.
Speaker 3: Mac a mat.
Speaker 1: All right, forty two. They're probably forty four down. But I think you are right for sure.
Speaker 3: You're looking at him COVID price.
Speaker 1: Let me check my wee week at the care is going up.
Speaker 5: It's going up.
Speaker 3: His price. The pride of Toledo.
Speaker 1: Now everybody know you, the Pride of Toledo. Let him know you're gonna work. Got man, you're gonna wor to certain he wants to leado ship one day. He better jacket you got. He's gonna pay up.
Speaker 4: The most Toledo swag has been that time I brought that the rocky from from my kids.
Speaker 1: Got a car sweater, sweaters, he got the start of sweaters, been therse Toledo sweaters. I got bag. Yeah, I got flag. Guy, I got a flag in your rooms and it's your Toledo jersey. Up.
Speaker 3: He's your degree.
Speaker 1: Why degrees up?
Speaker 3: Degrees up?
Speaker 1: Degree degrees up? But I don't know a man that's crazy. The contrast that this one and this this man man got t c U Pinbrooke. He got all the stuff and you don't want nothing that we don't know where you went. And you know you know you trustee though I'm not mean you were trusting barm trust I ain't doing that trusty stuff they did. But the lights we're doing that. The yeah I got to take. They got that whole trustee board up. Out of the likes, they was like your services said you recommended Digital underground.
Speaker 12: And they saw new Struggs was like you, but the trusty Scruggs. But the word when I was that didn't happen. The home coming actual good. When I was in church, they made them bring his I Pad. They bring you out all of it and coach want to see you follow me, brother card don't work. Alumni was hot with you, was with me. Do me and my more Abdual had nothing. They brought in Laurie Morgan last.
Speaker 1: Year, paying my trustee. They get it right on bomm.
Speaker 3: This is about you man.
Speaker 13: Have my diet on this okay, my money I got to in down scholarships, your stuff.
Speaker 1: Let him know you let him know. I think you need an endownment to t C. You two be the biggest one man.
Speaker 13: We got three down. I got children going to college, collection player work. I gotta pay my Kansas state funding.
Speaker 1: Now, he tapped down. By the way, take care you get your free parades for life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I'm trying to believe me. I'm out there doing what anyway, Back to the Cowboys. Back to the Cowboys. So dark Prescott didn't go to the Pro Bowl. See the Landmage the Pro Bow. Michael Parts went to the Pro Bowl. Michael Partson out there playing the mad game and took a shot at David and Joko about Cleveland is Cleveland, joker?
Speaker 3: What skill the ski backett into Cleveland? Cleveland. We're both sitting here together.
Speaker 1: Right m hm. Oh So they was right there and they was right next liking.
Speaker 3: A little shot in him something basically trying to put down Cleveland. Oh man, just Cleveland.
Speaker 1: Disrespectful, disrespectful, You and I both sitting right here. Cleveland had Flacco as a quarterback. Nature about I would say the season was more successful than I.
Speaker 3: Respect He should have said respectfully that fan.
Speaker 4: Base is not mad at them. I can tell you that somebody who worked up there. They're not mad at the Browns right now. They're looking at their head coach and they're they're saying, Okay, yeah.
Speaker 1: That was a successful sea. Their trajectory is going upward.
Speaker 3: They feel good here.
Speaker 4: Fan bases hot man basis hot people trying to get off the Hope of people are mad.
Speaker 3: Even Stephen Jones mint, we got to bring we gotta get we got it. We got to win him back.
Speaker 6: So rebrand the hoping new packaging. So Jerry said, we gotta get your back. You going it's a heckun.
Speaker 1: He's he's reeling you in.
Speaker 3: He said the Senior Bowl, they're.
Speaker 1: Going all in. Who you really that that's what Jerry said at the beginning of the season. Next season, okay, that you're not gonna be on the Hope in the beginning of the season. I ain't say that, man. He that I had a couple of thinking about it, and I'm not that's all. It took all in. Every time.
Speaker 4: Michael Parson said the Cowboy, he says he's glad to hear that they're gonna go all because he said they haven't done in the last few years.
Speaker 3: Even though he did say that they had what they needed to go to the super Bowl.
Speaker 4: But apparently now he's now he's learning, he's learning to saying, Okay, they didn't go all in and get the pieces.
Speaker 1: They need, so running because because when Cooks first got here and Stephan Gilmore first got here, people was like, well the Cowboys do what they usually do. But oh wait, we went and got a former defensive Player of the year, We got Brandon some thousand yard god all over the place, and now we don't. Now we even gonna get the guy hanging like what we what are we doing? You paid, you paid three safeties, you guarantee one for the whole you're paying to so so your assumption is you got all the pieces that you needed that or is it? Or is it you're not naive enough to think that Tony Polard could be your running back for any time. No, I'm just saying, maybe maybe that's the all in. Maybe we're gonna get a bona fide running back. Maybe that's that's all in that would have made a difference in this season. I mean, it's just come on, it's just thought. Linebacker. Maybe you go get a linebacker that is a bonafide true linebacker not a tweiner.
Speaker 3: Is that what you need to see? What do you need to see for it to be all in for you? What do you need to see from Jerry?
Speaker 1: What do you need?
Speaker 7: Man?
Speaker 1: Really, I think it's just a sign of making that big splashing free agency to show that you're going on I don't know specifically which like who's out there or you're gonna get but you know where you have issues that you know that your running game wasn't where it needs to be at, and you know that your defensive line in the trenches hasn't been where it needs to be at for the last few years. So if you really want to say you're gonna make a big splash, one of those one of those. You got some running backs out there. I don't even know who we can name. We got running backs out there. I don't know who's on the defensive line, but there are opportunities for you to go out there and say, you know what, this is a difference maker at that position, and we're gonna go all in and make sure that we get him on our roster.
Speaker 4: From a running back perspective. Now, I won't name them, but at the same get in trouble. But we saw last year with the one year franchise deals, there were several running backs on these one year franchise deals that I suspect their teams are not going to bring them back. They darn show on, go franchise and pay them twenty percent more off the ten meal from last year. There will be available free free agents, guys who are gonna be free agents. But at the same time too, you look at Detroit. Detroit went into the draft criticized it, but Gibbs really good, absolutely good football.
Speaker 3: So you can go get a young.
Speaker 4: Rookie and have that rookie be an impactful player. So there's different ways to make that running back game work.
Speaker 3: And that we saw.
Speaker 4: They took gives in Detroit and then they went got Montgomery who the bars let go boy, that tandem.
Speaker 1: Was they got him. They got gives in the first though didn't yes, So that's you know, that's when you're trying to decide where, like who you gonna get, Like it's a difference between the first round running back of what we've seen and Ezekiel Ellet guys like that and sain Kwon Barkley and then the guys that you get later in the draft. I think Pacheco is an outlier. But Pacheco is a.
Speaker 3: Running like he was really the ball. He runs the ball.
Speaker 1: He's not that he's not the Christian McCaffrey guy where he's that dynamic. When he gets the ball, it's like, oh, that dude run hard. But as far as him being as diverse and adaptable as some of those other guys, I don't think he's the same. But I think that's difference between the first round guy and then the guys that are later on in the draft. And I think that theory holds up with certain players at a certain time. But it's not a one size fits all. You get a drun bland in the lake. I mean as far as that the talent disparity as far as rounds is concerned. The Cowboys can't turn down nothing, but they call it. Everything is on the table and you have to fix certain positions and the running back room is one of them. When I was talking about setting the expectation for next year, I think this draft not to knock on anybody, but I think it was a disappointment because you didn't need you didn't get guys that hit the ground running. And if you look around the NFL teams are drafting guys that you could put the work immediately. Guys ended up being projects are playing twenty twenty five.
Speaker 3: We didn't need that.
Speaker 1: We really was a team built on that number one guy needing to put in have some some substantial production.
Speaker 3: The picts right there, Yeah, they were not Detroit.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't want to break up this pain again, but it's there. It's read it. I mean, you got Screonmaker, you two guys out of Michigan, Mazzi Smith, Uh come on, man, her two picks really had no impact on this.
Speaker 3: Entire the defensive end.
Speaker 1: I mean he never even found the field. Uh so. I mean, I think the best thing we got out of it was a kicker from Plano and he was under.
Speaker 4: Your third rider May and overshown who looked who had flash? But he got hurt there, so you know, one, two, three, and then he said, foko, that's four right, fourth.
Speaker 3: I said, your first four.
Speaker 1: Guys, you're like, awesome, Richard. You didn't see him spot duty here. Really, there was no production there. I mean, Tyrant came on again. This is just That's what I'm talking about about. The expectations, Eric Scott, guys like that. Just again, you didn't get a lot of production. That's what I'm saying. The expectation has to be there, and you have to be hopeful that. Look, you got to put a draft together. That young cat that you're talking about in the first second round running back, we need that dude.
Speaker 6: And well, to me, I think, you know, outside of the splash guys that you can bring in, and this is a hard thing to do, but I feel like management or upper.
Speaker 3: Top shit, you know, hold these guys accountable instead.
Speaker 1: Of hyping them up and all season.
Speaker 3: Hey we love our guys, we love this guy.
Speaker 6: And I know it's a hard thing to do with contracts and you know, cap and all that stuff, but hold them accountable. Say hey, we don't get the job done. We revamping this whole thing. You know, so so many guys in this locker room. They're going out there saying we lose that, we lose. I'm still I'm still getting this bad. I'm still gonna be here regardless. It's a tough thing to do, but you gotta hold these guys accountable in thinking about bringing all these outside pieces, think about making sure these guys know what their responsibility is going into the game and going into the season, Like, if you don't get the job done, you're not guaranteed to.
Speaker 1: Come back here next year.
Speaker 6: And I understand that's a hard thing to do with guarantee money and capping all that, but there's gotta be some accountability with.
Speaker 3: The guys here.
Speaker 1: They understand, like this is not good being you know, a first or getting on the internet first. Back to my point at the beginning of the show, Okay, new voice to come in here. Hey man, it's a new sheriff in town, all right, and this is how we're gonna make this stuff work. I got one year, so I don't mind. I don't mind getting on y'all to let y'all know that a this ain't gonna fly. All right, We're gonna make sure we got our stuff. Now.
Speaker 3: That is the Zimmer type of social media fan base.
Speaker 4: It's saying right now they're putting the clips up of him and Cincinnati and getting after guys and saying that that's what's needed here.
Speaker 1: I've seen the safety said that it was a Harrison. What's what's the safety that Harris Smith was like, yeah, he's a you know, not everybody's cup of tea. But he enjoyed playing for him because he gets the most out of you. But I mean, like I said, what I'm saying, when you, when you go, when you, they're not gonna fire you. Man a year you I mean you here, you here on the one year thing. You already know. Hey man, this is it.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 3: So Eric being to me, went to Washington, Thank you, he said. And then what the players do? What the head coach? Yeah, that's kind of dog couple people.
Speaker 1: No, hold one. See that's the different I'm not talking about. Dude, get out there and cuts out folks. We said, hold accountable. But which to do you do that?
Speaker 3: Throw bombs out there too?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I think some players can respect that. I think you still treat them like men. You don't go out there and treat them like they're not men. Right, You got to still got show them that type of.
Speaker 4: Nobody in care the city said that eb didn't didn't treat them like man. It was just it just seemed to me as though homeboys sit up here, tell some folks truth. And yeah he used some colorful language and people's.
Speaker 1: All see now. I found it a little weird and crazy. That you over here defending the Washington Commanders and know and knowing what that No, no, I'm saying and knowing that, knowing what their players have been through and what they've been looking at and the state of their organization, and expect them to go listen to somebody to come in and say, yeah, we're gonna win this year. Yeah, and we're gonna win if you do it like this. This guy's good. I'm saying, that's not. That's not the players that we got here.
Speaker 3: So so comparing is bringing a truth teller?
Speaker 4: Are people ready to accept the truth, because there's a lot of folks who say, I want you to tell me the truth, but you know, you must be able to take it, tell it and live it and around here and you just mentioned it, man, this is an entitlement factor. Asked hate me about that. He kind of went up to the ends to say yeah, because he was a media scrub. But he laughed and then he gave us his little answer. But there is a there is a problem right now with some of these.
Speaker 1: Dudes taking truth and y'all saying, hire somebody within to keep lying to them. So you want to change it or you don't want to change it.
Speaker 3: So you feel like, I don't know if you can, because if you can't, you can't, don't hire it.
Speaker 1: Don't hire guy.
Speaker 3: If I can, just go up top.
Speaker 1: If I don't know the work is all that I'm telling you from the desk that I'm sitting there right now. Look, I feel you, I feel you know. And I'm not saying that these guys are being lied to or whatever. It's three twelve and five seasons and you gotta fix this defense. You gotta fix the run game. I think we feel like for me, Trayvon Diz coming back is gonna be a big asset to this defense. Another year with Michael even at defensive end linebacker. We can argue all through the off season about it, but not today. All right, but defensive line wise, you're gonna have to get some help defensive line wise, and linebacker play is essential. This draft is very important, and having somebody that understands the inner workings of this defense is going to be very important. Not somebody that's making them entitled brats. That's not what I'm That's not what I'm calling for.
Speaker 4: All right, let's get our final break, Let's get the Super Bowl prediction. To Kansas City, San Francisco getting down the Super Bowl fifty eight? Will you guys be at the slopes watching me?
Speaker 1: Bobby Okay, y'all?
Speaker 4: Sweet sweet Very Churchick Maharis, Danny mcraeplain to Calos on Dallas Cowboys dot com radio.
Speaker 10: To kick off the twenty twenty three NFL season, Hugo Boss teamed up with the NFL and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection featuring hoodies, crews, T shirts, polos, joggers, and more. The bold, unique apparel of the Boss NFL collection unites football and fashion while reflecting what it truly means to be a boss. Get yours today at NFL shop dot com, slash Hugo Boss at Hugo Boss Com and at Boss retail stores hashtag be your own Boss.
Speaker 9: Hi.
Speaker 1: I'm Danny mcraig, Dallas Cowboys alumni player here with Smoothie King and Smoothie King wants to ask you, what's that sound. That's the sound of us magically transforming our smooth bows into two new decadent flavors. Dig into a cool Iae or Pataya bowl handcrafted with Crunchy Purely Elizabeth Granola Fresh strawberries and finished with the velvety chocolate hazel nut drizzle. Perfect for breakfast, lunch, or anytime you want a munch. And that's the sound of you making them disappear. Smoothie Bowls now in two new decadent flavors only at Smoothie King, the official Smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 8: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys. Jack Black and right now Cowboys fans could get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy with ball. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 5: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: And they snapped the fresh dout who looks right, it's not there. He escapes left. He'll look for a perchtown.
Speaker 9: Just like football when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands, says twenty eleven. They've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 8: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 5: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 1: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 5: Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 3: To the players Lounge, Roses are red, violets are blue.
Speaker 1: Dallas Cowboy pro shops have the best Valentine's gift for you. Head to the nearest pro shopper. Log Onto shop dot Dallas dot com a fanatics experience and fall in love with all new teams, hoodies, and more. You might get you feel me, you fill me might get wrong category. Oh Taylor Swift, she wanted to Did you want to Sleep?
Speaker 3: An album of the years? She her Man is in the Super Bowl. So Taylor and the Chiefs.
Speaker 4: Are in the Super Bowl Monte against the San Francisco forty nine Ers and the forty nine ers by the Usher halftime show, Uh, the forty nine Ers are a one and a half point favorite.
Speaker 3: In this game, I'll go ahead.
Speaker 4: And start going overtime, overtime, overtime, twenty seven, twenty four homes my home Christians, Andy Reid and the Kansas City Chiefs bring it back here to the Hunt family who live lives in Dallas, original Dallas, Texans.
Speaker 1: I don't want to be kicking myself again after going against my home in them, you know, for the third or fourth time. And I don't know why it happened, away it happened, but it just happened all the time. Just like the Patriots, you just be like, there's no reason they should be winning these games. And somehow you watch the team go out there who they playing against, and they are out of character, stupid penalties, dumb to take a turnover, stuff they haven't done all seasons. So I'm going with the Kansa City Chiefs because I'll be a food to pick against them. They don't have to, you know, I'm better. That's like that's been with the field, Ain't it like that?
Speaker 3: Against George I'm gonna I'm going.
Speaker 1: Patrick Mahones in thirty to twenty seven, no overtime. So you're saying that Shanahan has he may do something dumb the players him to three. He will be a possibility. This day he's gonna find out who thought it really was. He's done it before, he may do it again. But this year, man, he's been coaching like a man that's possessed with not without making that decision again. I mean, the decisions he's making in season. Looks like the forty nine ers should pull it out, but they're not swag surfing. I'm going with is thats what it is. Hey, man, let me tell you something, let me tell you something, let me take something, let me tell you something. Now I've seen that you just I gotta I gotta say this. My daughter graduated from Howard University. And that was not That wasn't that wasn't it. That wasn't. They tried, they tried valuing effort, but but heck, but they gave my man Kelsey the tape of fade.
Speaker 3: He again takes this.
Speaker 1: But how many times have you gone to the barbershop and see those those phades numbers one through thirty like history. I never thought I see the imny time one through thirty phase. It's thirty ways to get a phade. The haircut is taking over the taking over the hold on you ever been to the Earth community got waves on top of that. Now he put ways that.
Speaker 3: The figure out, figure out.
Speaker 4: This is why diversity in your staff, so somebody can inform you and tell you this ain't.
Speaker 1: Probably the oldest look man, you cauld ask Alexa she to tell you. I mean, they didn't have to look far for that. They have to know. There's no way they didn't know. There's no possible way. It is because I just you.
Speaker 3: Don't have.
Speaker 1: Is a diversity of people to someone to say they from your somebody thought that that Kelsey was the inventor of the fade.
Speaker 4: Once again crazy. The New York Times put it out, laying people off left and right. But this is this is what happens when you do not have people who you can talk to the diverse thought to say, Na, you may not want to do that, or this isn't incorrect.
Speaker 3: If you don't mean I live, I live, what're you gonna do?
Speaker 13: Well?
Speaker 1: You need to go here and this is this is it that is ridiculous. If Kelsey take a commercial getting the tape of Faith on, be upset. Man, I'm dumb. I don't know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Jack carlov Is barbering.
Speaker 1: Straight. What's your score here for Kansas City, Sir, I'm gonna let's say it's gonna be hoigh scoring. I'm gonna go thirty four twenty four something another beat that? All right?
Speaker 3: Church?
Speaker 1: What you give me the nine US? Man, give me a nine US. It's because we all went for Kansas City that you did that. You was on your way, bro thirty five twenty four about your way. I ain't gonna ain't gonna let Kelsey go crazy and ain't gonna.
Speaker 3: Let it happen.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be interesting here, man. I've just seen San Francisco the last two games they've played.
Speaker 1: The other head coaches.
Speaker 4: Decided to lose these games and these ship act like field goals are a bad thing. Andy Reid won't do that because he got a good way in Harrison Truck. So in Baltimore, though he ran the ball eight times, like what you what you?
Speaker 3: We'll see We'll see Danny enjoy ski trip.
Speaker 1: Yeah y'all, it's his birthday trip. Yeah, me say birthday trip. So I'm say his birthday trip.
Speaker 3: I'll be shying Conna like.
Speaker 1: How you coming down on the man, like he ain't getting that bad. You ain't getting that back.
Speaker 3: You like twenty mill and it be like it's all good Dad. They tripping heck Man Man appreciate you.
Speaker 4: New Struggs will chat with you after Super Bowl DA for Chris Bean, Jazz Big, Will Josh, everybody pause show we appreciate you.
Speaker 3: Enjoy week.
Speaker 2: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.