Speaker 1: Aaron Nola and welcome to the Philly Show.
Speaker 2: Ruben Amar Junior, Jim Salisbury, Todds, the Lucky, It's the Philly Show. It's Friday, August twentieth, twenty twenty six. Phillies have won a season high six games in a row. Fellas they win on Wednesday Night. Aaron Nola with a big performance. Some might call it a monster performance. It's time for our monster moment. Monster moment is powered by monster energy. How'd you like that little singe?
Speaker 3: I like to do it. I love when you do it well.
Speaker 2: Aaron Nola guys Wednesday, seven innings, one run. You know, a bunch of strikeouts, no.
Speaker 4: Walks, no walks.
Speaker 2: You can win a lot of games if you're doing that type of stuff. And Nola has been pitching great. I want to show you this real quick, his little bounce back. You know, he's got like what a two six ERA in his last five starts. But look at going back to July fifth, I think that says his last nine starts, Aaron Nola has a three point six y three e RA, so a longer body of work, not such a small sample size since July fifth. Jim, we were there that was that Sunday afternoon started. All started in Kansas City. Remember he threw his kind of didn't throw as many curveballs, that threw a lot more change ups, had some success. He's really kind of kept it going. And one hundred and sixteen pitchers have made six or more starts since July fifth. Aaron Nola is fifty fifth out of those one hundred and sixteen pitchers in era three point sixty three. If you're watching us on YouTube, you see Jesus Lozardo is tenth two point one one, and then behind Aaron Nola, Christopher Sanchez three eight three sixty fourth. Seventy third is Zach Wheeler four point zero two, and Andrew Painter has made four starts since his return. He's got a four to four to three EIRA. So encouraging in a lot of ways. I mean, because if if you don't have Wheeler sharp, we'd spend all last show, much of last show talking about that. If you don't have Wheeler sharp, If Sanchez is as sharp, man, it's huge right now to have Aaron Nola pitching well, Reuben, isn't it.
Speaker 3: I mean we've talked about this a lot. I mean, starting pitching is.
Speaker 5: Still rules today, right, I mean really put you in a position if you have starting pitching depth that it puts you in a position to be able to win with the top three that they have. Even though Wheeler and Sanchez have not been as dominant as they have in previous parts of the season, they're still really, really good.
Speaker 6: It's what's buoying this team, right.
Speaker 5: But there's a lot of concern obviously about the fourth and fifth slot.
Speaker 3: Now, we all of us collectively, the.
Speaker 5: Three of us were hopeful, did not know whether or not, you know, they those two guys, the Nola's and the Painters of the world, could right the ship. The concern that I have about Nola is that why did it take this long to get the mechanics right? So we have all types of different ways to measure issues. And when I watched Nola pitch, his stuff was better, There's no question about it. But why, I mean, he hasn't had any arm issues. It's not like he's throwing harder.
Speaker 3: Why did it take this long to.
Speaker 5: Analyze and to get him to the point where he's throwing like he has been like the last eight or nine starts, As you showed his fastball and his breaking ball, the way the ball was coming out of his hand. When his breaking ball is not working well, it pops up out of his hand and you sort of can recognize it. Yesterday or Wednesday, his breaking ball was so tight and it didn't pop out. It came out looking like a fastball and snapped off. With all the edgitronics and all the the information and all the analytic tools and things that they have, why did it take so long for them to get to this point? And my feeling is this, in this day and age, many of a lot of the people who are teaching pitching understand the spins and understand that kind of stuff, but I'm not sure if they're understanding what it feels like to make the pitch. And that's where I get sideways with the analytics stuff. Great to recognize it, but how do you get him to get back to those mechanics physically. That's where I think the rubber hits the road. And I'm not trying to bag on anybody necessarily, but it just doesn't make any sense that it took this long for them to figure out why he was not getting to that point in his release points so that he can spin that breaking ball the way he has always spun it, because that has been his.
Speaker 3: Bread and butter.
Speaker 6: Why did it take so long for them to get to it when his doesn't have arm issues and that breaking ball was different than the breaking balls that I've seen over the last several weeks.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's fascinating commentary to which I don't know the answer. But could it be as simple as sometimes athletes perform well and sometimes they slump for lack of a better word, and don't perform well. I mean, if answers were that simple, would we know why Zach Wheeler's last five starts have been subpar? You know, I just don't know, but it's very interesting. But you're right about the curveball, and you know, the way I understand it comes up, it's a difference between coming out here and rolling or coming off the fingertips and snap dragon. And it just seems like that's what he's got going right now with that spike curve.
Speaker 3: Spiker, not knuckle curve spiker.
Speaker 1: And we know that because he said it right on our show and he showed it to us.
Speaker 2: Right's exactly right, And uh, you know, whenever he does throw a bad curveball. He always he always uses that word, Ruben, what you used it popped out, popped out, curveball, popped out, popped out?
Speaker 7: What about I mean?
Speaker 2: He's also his pitch usage has changed over those last nine starts as well. I know I've showed you guys this these charts before, but I got some updated ones. So this is before July fifth, knuckle, curve, spike, curve, throwing it more than a third of the time, thirty four percent.
Speaker 7: Of the time.
Speaker 2: You see his four seam fastball usage around twenty three and a half percent.
Speaker 7: Sinker.
Speaker 2: Okay, to keep an eye on the sinker boys, twenty point nine percent of the time, change up twelve point six percent now in the last nine starts since then, gegah, curve, the curveball now little less than a third of the time. Four seamers basically unchanged. He's throwing that the same amount, but the change up usage is shot up and the sinker has dropped off considerably. So you're seeing a little a lot more change up, a lot less sinker in the pitch usage. And maybe that's played a role.
Speaker 5: I don't know, and I've talked about this, honestly, Todd this is great, that's great stuff.
Speaker 3: And I've talked about this. I mean, he's had to.
Speaker 5: Make a sort of a paradigm shift and how he pitches because he doesn't he can't rush the pass ball pass guys consistently anymore. The vosity's just not there and the life of it is really not there. But he needs to do He needed to do a couple of different things. One, he has to keep the ball down consistently, show the fastball up every once in a while just to change the eye level his But his overall consistency and his success is going to be by driving the ball down in the zone. How does he do that. He gets on top of it with his fingers. He works that change up consistently, and we talked about it a million times, and I've talked about it on NBC. I've talked about it on the podcast. You have to drive the ball down with your change up. He's going to mix in more change ups and keep the ball down and try to get ground balls. And then he's got to get that breaking ball down, which he did extraordinary.
Speaker 3: Job of in both games.
Speaker 5: And the sinker has to work right, the sinker down And so when he's working down and he's staying out of the middle of the zone. They make contact on pitches, but it's ground ball contact or swing and miss in the case of the breaking ball, and it limits damage. Yes, he's going to make mistakes because he throws a lot of strikes and balls are going to get hit out of the ballpark.
Speaker 3: But if he keeps the.
Speaker 5: Ball down, then he can limit the contact on the ground as opposed to the ball going into the air and being driven out of the ballpark. Throwing strikes is a big one for him, and I think he's just a much better pitcher when he's driving the ball down in the zone. And that's that's why he's had so much success. And I'm sorry for stealing so much thunder during the course of this podcast.
Speaker 4: No, that's great stuff.
Speaker 1: He's always been, always been a guy that needs to pitch at the knees, as a lot of pitchers have migrated up in the zone and try to work that top border of the strike zone and get it above the bower. He's a guy that needs to be at the knees and has his entire career since he arrived in the big leagues and correct when he's not he doesn't have the gidda up to get it by somebody.
Speaker 4: He threw a two steamer last night.
Speaker 1: Late in the game, and he an umpire called it a strike. It was like he was so good last night. He was getting calls, you know, like you'd see at times with pictures back in just pre abs, like this guy is, this guy is dealing all of a sudden. Now the strikes sowed all of a sudden. The plate's now eighteen nineteen inches and he got one of those, and the umpire rang up the hitter and and the hitter tapped and it was two inches off the plate. But it was like even the umpire you could tell was buying into the movement on those pitches and the way he was executing. So I'm very I'm very happy for Aaron in the last two months. I really am knowing is more respected in that room. There's no finer gentle, no better competitor, no harder worker. And I think we all were wondering if he was headed for big problems earlier this year, and he has shown a lot of guts and getting back on track here and becoming a huge, huge contributor to this team that did not add starting pitching at the deadline, and all of a sudden, now it looks like they they've added another real quality guy.
Speaker 3: So good. Can I just add this?
Speaker 5: I mean, I know I'm happy that he's bucking the fans right now, because the fans out there are basically we're basically ready to trash him and throw them aside.
Speaker 3: And this is not a guy that just having known him over the years and know who the person is.
Speaker 5: To me, if there's somebody's going to figure it out, it's Aaron Nola and someone who is.
Speaker 3: Who doesn't make excuses, doesn't you know that's.
Speaker 5: Not that's you know, he's one of those guys that at some point is going.
Speaker 3: To figure it out. And uh.
Speaker 5: And I love the fact that he's bounced back for him and for the organization, but also you know, for the fans who doubt it, and so pooh pooh on those folks.
Speaker 3: He may end up having a terrible end of the year. But the reality of it.
Speaker 5: Is that he's working hard to I'm sure and I know that he's working hard to be a success and to help this team.
Speaker 4: Ruben full disclosure, I was worried. I was worried.
Speaker 1: I remember saying, of course, you know, he was having trouble getting through the early innings and I was I remember saying once what are they going to do? Because he would be good for a couple of innings that he sort of hit an early wall and I was like, maybe they have to piggyback him with someone. But I mean, he has just totally changed the narrative and he's had a lot of good ballgames with Garrett Stubbs.
Speaker 2: Stubbs caught that first game in Kansas City that Sunday, remember, and go to Miami.
Speaker 1: He's pitched three three really good ones against Miami and Stubbs has been behind there for all.
Speaker 4: Three of them.
Speaker 1: They've developed a really good chemistry. So yeah, I mean that's a team within a team in the battery, and you know, Stubbs deserves a tip of the hat as well.
Speaker 3: I got a little bit of a theory about that.
Speaker 5: Stubbs is a smaller guy and he's got a lower target because he's a lower body, he's a smaller person.
Speaker 8: It's a great and perhaps him being lower and smaller, he has to dial into a lower target, which is where his success is going to be. Maybe that has something to do with it. It's possible. I don't know that for fact, it's real. Certainly can't hurt it.
Speaker 2: I mean conversely, Zach Wheeler loves throwing a j T because JT provides a bigger target.
Speaker 3: I mean, he.
Speaker 2: JT's going to catch Zach Wheeler. You know, yeah, all absolutely, that's Zach likes the target that he provides. So there's something real there, you know. So that's that's a great point, Ruben, excellent point. Okay, that was that right there. That's a monster moment brought to you by Monster Energy. Unleash the Beast. Fuel your game day. Grab a Monster Energy drink at your local retailer.
Speaker 7: Today.
Speaker 2: We're back, and we got some questions. We asked for some questions from from all you and got some good ones and let me fine, Oh here we go.
Speaker 7: Let's let's go big picture.
Speaker 4: You want to go big picture? Big picture?
Speaker 7: This is from Instagram.
Speaker 2: This is from Baseball thirty four fifty.
Speaker 7: Do you really believe.
Speaker 2: That this team can win a championship? They haven't proven that they can. Do you really believe?
Speaker 1: I mean, to me, though, I was all championship teams, so all championships teams have to do it.
Speaker 4: Once for the first time.
Speaker 7: So exactly, that was my first thought.
Speaker 2: Jim, the same thing is like, well, yeah, I mean, the Dodgers didn't prove that they could win a championship until two years ago. I know, Dave Roberts was almost going to be fired because they kept collapsing in the postseason. I mean, people, Dodgers fans hated Dave Roberts and now he's probably gonna go to the Hall of Fame because he's won two in a row with the Dodgers. So until you do it, you haven't done it. Doesn't mean you can't do it.
Speaker 1: The easy answer, the easy answer is to say they will not win a championship. Correct, that's the easy answer. But the real answer is who knows. Nobody knows. You got to get in and then you got to play your best three weeks. With baseball, you can't run into outs on the bases, you can't give extra bases, you can't walk people, hit batters, make errors. You gotta have timely hitting, good starting pitching, and you can't blow leeds early in five game series like the bullpen did in Game one the last two years. So you gotta have your best three weeks. If they do that, they could win a World Series. Did we think the ol White Phillies could win the World Series? I didn't going into that postseason, but they climbed on the back of a twenty four year old left hander and a really good bullpen that was peaking, and they did it. They had better teams later in that run and didn't win.
Speaker 7: Absolutely.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, I think anything's possible, and I think it really depends on this, and I think that has a lot to do with it. Before August first, this team was last in on base percentage. They were twenty fourth in batting average. They were eighteenth in run scored. Since August first, I have the numbers right in front of me. They are second in runs only to Boston. Boston's going haywire right, They're going nuts. They are first, and on base percentage, they are third in ops. If they played closer to the last from the last three weeks than they do from the last three months, then they do have a chance. If they play much closer to what they did prior to August first, then the chances of them doing it.
Speaker 3: Are very slim.
Speaker 5: But I will tell you that for whatever reason, whatever paradigm shift was created, whether it was.
Speaker 3: Luis or Rise or their overall.
Speaker 5: Team philosophy of making sure that they have a better approach at the plate, whatever the case may be. They are a much better offensive team. Yes, they have not played like you know, number one starters and all that other stuff, but you have to play who you have to play. And for them to have been so much better now in the last three weeks than they were in the first three months or four months of the season, that's that's that's big, that's huge. And if they finished off the season playing like they have been this this whole month of August, then they have a really legitimate chance because of their starting pitcher and because of their closer.
Speaker 3: They're starting pitching and because of their closer.
Speaker 2: I agree, and they've they've what we're talking the other day about the Braves in the Analy East, and now they get another game on the Braves.
Speaker 5: Four and a half games back as of I guess Thursday afternoon.
Speaker 1: Right, you never know it's gonna I think it's gonna be five because the Braves were winning on Thursday afternoon.
Speaker 4: Full disclosure, we're taping on Thursday afternoon.
Speaker 2: Sorry, now that's all right, Okay, Yeah, that's all right, But I mean the point being that you keep playing like this and the Braves keep playing like that.
Speaker 3: As said, those.
Speaker 4: Six games are going to be those six games.
Speaker 1: You never never ever know Tony Montanas here, but those six games in September are gonna be ah.
Speaker 3: Against the Braves. That's what you want, right, That's what you want in baseball. That's what we're looking for. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Hey, Phillies fans, listen up. When the players need elite orthopedic care, they turned to Rothmand Orthopedics, and for good reason. Rothman was named the number one physician practice in the nation by Castle Conley, recognized for having the most top doctors in orthopedic care. That's big league talent, and now you can access that same level of care faster than ever. The Rothman Fast Scheduler gets you scheduled with their VIP team, and Rothman now lets you connect with a specialist from anywhere. Rothman Orthopedics, a proud longtime orthopedic partner of your Philadelphia Phillies and a proud supporter of the Weekend Warriors. Go to Rothmanortho dot com backslash the Phillies Show to get VIP care. Today we are back. If you're watching us on YouTube, please hit that subscribe button, as the kids like to say, smash that subscribe button. Smash it, smash it, and then you can go to the phillyshowshop dot com. We're working on some new swag. People don't Some people don't like the word swag. I love the word swag.
Speaker 5: Well guess what it's coming, brand new swag. It's gonna be swag delicious.
Speaker 2: If we can pull the right strings. There might be a Jim Salisbury gardening themed T shirts available soon.
Speaker 3: I will be the first to purchase.
Speaker 7: I cannot wait to wear it. That's all I can say. Buddy, Pat Krit's gonna hook us up.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, here we go.
Speaker 7: It's happening. Jim Talent's happening. Oh my gosh. All right, let's get back to some questions.
Speaker 3: Let's talk.
Speaker 2: Let's get some questions in the offense. This was the one for Ruben. Can you this is from Xander Hunt forty four. Can you explain the thought process of first pitch swinging, especially Alec Bohm, do you have any thoughts on that?
Speaker 4: Ruben?
Speaker 3: What's the thought right?
Speaker 2: Because it's funny guy swings at the first pitch, he makes it out.
Speaker 3: What hits it over the wall?
Speaker 7: It hits it the wall.
Speaker 3: I love how he ge attacked ambushed that fastball.
Speaker 7: He pops up to the shortstop with guys are moron.
Speaker 1: Sometimes the first first one is the only good one you get. I mean, you can see everything both ways in this game.
Speaker 7: Ruben, what's the thought process on swinging at the first pitch?
Speaker 5: I mean, if you look, if you look at the numbers, I believe, if I'm not mistaken, first pitch, first pitch swinging is like the highest percentage of actually getting a hit in baseball. I think it's still the first I do believe it's the highest percentage of getting a hit.
Speaker 3: I'm not quite positive about that.
Speaker 5: To me, for Bomb, it's always been I always felt like, if he's gonna first pitch swing, that he should be barreling it up to the pulse side or driving it somewhere. And there are times when he doesn't do that. But there are also times when he has a lot of success with it. I mean, he's been and this is kind of a.
Speaker 9: Crazy stat but he's over the last several years, he's had more RBIs than Bryce Harper and Bryce Harper's getting paid, you know, twenty seven million dollars a year, and he is highly extolled. But he's he does produce runs, and I know he's going he's going really well right now. I know he had a really.
Speaker 5: Tough start to the season, but I think he's looking for a pitch.
Speaker 3: He gets that pitch and he's hacking at it.
Speaker 5: And while sometimes he does roll into a ground ball double play, there are other times when he's really productive and you know, drives the ball in the right center field for a base hit or up the middle, and more lately you see him driving the ball into the gaps. I think that that's the thought process behind it.
Speaker 2: A lot of people, like Nola wanted to fire him to the moon about a couple of weeks ago, but they're lucky they have him in their lineup today.
Speaker 3: That's right. You know, he's been part of the resurgence. He's really been a big part.
Speaker 5: He instead had been a really big part of the resurgence of this team.
Speaker 1: Absolutuge, and they've brought some really necessary contact to the lineup.
Speaker 4: That's in addition to a rise.
Speaker 2: Well, speaking of a rise, this is from Lil Sassy Mom on Instagram. What do you think will happen with a Rise and Boem in the off season? I think Boom's I think Boom will not come back. That's my I mean, I think that's a prediction.
Speaker 7: Probably we all share it, right.
Speaker 3: I agree, I agree, I would agree with that.
Speaker 8: I don't know that that's necessarily going to happen, but if they were going to.
Speaker 5: Try to change things up, They're not going to change things up with the with the big contracts, I don't think, And so they're gonna have to change things up in a different way, and Bowe might be.
Speaker 3: Part of that, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's sort of the path of least resistance because he's a free agent. You're locked in with so many big, immovable contracts. So I think this is probably the end for him in Philly and to be somewhere else. But he has a chance to go out with a bang, and it's already kind of started. So that's good to see. And I would think long and hard about re signing her eyes, but I'm not going overly long. I'm trying to keep that too. I'd love to get him for two. That ain't gonna happen, probably maybe three, three.
Speaker 2: I would I would do three for a guy hits three hundred every year.
Speaker 3: What would you do, Ruben? You you've done that stuff. Yeah, yeah, it's a tough one. I like to stay of two years.
Speaker 5: But I mean, if if you really want to change the dynamic of your team and contact becomes something that's that important, and I think the industry is figuring out that this is actually a important. The fact that he was signed at a ten year, one year, ten million dollar.
Speaker 3: Deal basically a steal for me. That's a steal.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, this is a compared to some of the other players that are getting fifteen to twenty million dollars a year and multi year contracts.
Speaker 3: Luisa rises a steal.
Speaker 5: Now he's made himself a steal because he's made himself a much better second basement and someone who can play the keystone position and can do the things that he can do offensively.
Speaker 3: He's a plus.
Speaker 5: I would not put it past in this day and age where contact.
Speaker 3: Is going to be king. Imagine that that which is old will be new again.
Speaker 5: I gotta believe that he's going to get at least a three year deal, and he's probably gonna get somewhere in the range between fifteen and twenty million dollars per year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, that I could absolutely see that happen.
Speaker 5: And there may be some and every some of new school guys who don't think that that's a value at all.
Speaker 7: I feel like that's turned though.
Speaker 10: That's an advantage to the to a team like the Phillies because he's sort of he's sort of a guy they need to help round out their their overall team.
Speaker 2: I agree, but I think that's kind of We'll see, we'll see what the off season looks like in the next few years look like. But I feel like it's starting to turn that way in that you see what the Brewers are doing. Why do they have success? They don't strike out a lot. They put the ball in play. The Tampa Bay Rays are similar.
Speaker 7: You still need those guys. You still don't want.
Speaker 2: A Schwarburn Harper and the guys are gonna hit thirty forty year.
Speaker 4: But need somebody on base.
Speaker 2: You have a Louis Raise and a Bryson stop hitting in your lineup, getting on base, never striking out, walking a lot. That's uh, that's valuable.
Speaker 5: There is value to that, and the base hit is valuable still, is it?
Speaker 3: Always will be always is the hit means.
Speaker 7: Something it does?
Speaker 2: And this is this is a question from John Barton. Do you think the Phillies will try to extend Bryce and stop before he reaches free free agency after the twenty twenty seventh season. I think they would love to try, but his own thing. His agent's gonna let him do that if he keeps playing like this. His agent is Scott Scott Boris.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a problem.
Speaker 7: Close the book on that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think they'll just go year to year with him. Year to year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, that's it'd be nice. Hey, it'd be a nice problem to have. If you're sweating bullets at the end of the twenty twenty seventh season, Holy crap, are they gonna lose bryceon Stott? That means something good is happening for the Phillies, And that means that.
Speaker 5: Means that the man has performed, And you always want to pay for perform for for performance performance, I can't speak.
Speaker 2: Yes, there you go, So okay, let's here's let's that's those are some offensive questions. Oh, before we do offense, let's we got to talk about Parks Casino.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we knew because summertime or anytime.
Speaker 5: Pars Casino is mice casino of choice and it has been since it is opened.
Speaker 3: Pars Casino this is how you win.
Speaker 5: They have it all action, headline entertainment, the Liberty Bell Beer Garden, a great poker room, and award winning dining every month, Latin Dance nights with free Latin dance and a live salsa band you can groove to it, plus monthly Jazz Night and monthly country music nights while you can do line dancing with a live country band. Plus comedy Night every month hosted by our friend Joe Conklin and featuring a great lineup of touring comedians plus national headliners at the state of the art Excites Center. Just announced comedian Tim Dillon on Nomber fourteenth, Rick Springfield on December third, country music music favorites, Lady A on December eighteenth, and make the night complete and stay at the beautiful new Parks View Hotel which has just steps away from the casine. You know you get a shuttle service for free. Tickets are still availed for a bunch of shows at the Excite Center at Parks Casino. George Thoroughgood on August twenty eighth, Australian Pink Floyd on August twenty ninth, Tommy Chong and from Cheech and Chong on November twenty first, and Canadian Jim Jeffries even a little early on October twenty fourth. Now Parkscasino dot com to buy tickets. Parks Casino, Pennsylvania's number one casino street road exit off ninety five and the PA Turnpike in Bensalami. You must be twenty one gambling problem one eight hundred gamble.
Speaker 7: All right, we're back.
Speaker 2: Let's say let's talk about some couple pitching questions. This got a lot of questions on this signing on Wednesday, so let's get your thoughts on an Esther Cortes. This is a Jeffrey hostetter. Hey, guys, love the show. What is a realistic expectation for Cortes Philly is of course, in case you missed the news on Wednesday, they signed him to a major league deal. He's down in clear Water right now pitching, or is going to be down in clear Water pitching, and I guess assumingly working his way up organizational starting I mean he's starting pitching depth they needed starting pitching depth.
Speaker 7: That was a big fear we all had.
Speaker 2: What happened one of these five guys goes down, they are screwed. So now they have a little bit of a security blanket.
Speaker 4: It's like Walker Buller last year.
Speaker 1: I think there's value if he can maybe in mid September and if you can go two turns through the rotation with a six man and he can get Wheels and Sanchez and Lolzardo a little rest. I think that would be great if if he could help get a little rest for some guys going into October. And maybe if he pitches well and he's executing, he's getting outs, that's what pitcher, just get outs, then maybe he can help in the bullpen in October. But who knows, he's got to He hasn't pitched in a while. They gotta they got to see what he what he's uh, what he's got.
Speaker 3: I don't know what the expectation is.
Speaker 5: But anytime you can get somebody who's been there and done it, I always believe in a team that's a contender. I mean there's no harm, no foul. I mean it's just money and you're giving yourself some depth. And here's the real question. Do you want Alan Wronghell pitching in an important game in September, or do you want Nestor Cortes? You tell me which guy you want to pitch. Okay, that's a no brainer. Now obviously Nestor Cortez has to be healthy and pitching, okay, and closer to Nestor Cortez of the Yankees than you know then the guy who's been hurt. But I mean no harm, no foul. I just don't know. Can he win one or two games? Can he keep you in a game? Can he help you win the one game that gets you into a playoffs or put you in a position to have not have to play, you know, to maybe advance in the overall standings.
Speaker 3: I'll take it. Why not?
Speaker 5: I mean, that's that's what veteran gms do. That's what Dave Nebrowski does. That's what he did.
Speaker 1: And can he eat ten or twelve innings down the stretch that Wheeler, Lizardo or Sanchez don't have to eat so they have a little more in sometimes in October?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Right? So a couple more here. One more pitching question. This is from Brandon Marshall. Lover, is there any scenario where Jesus Sozardo could possibly start Game one of a wild Card series if they get in. He's been the hottest pitcher on this team as of late. Interesting question because you know a few months ago, a couple of weeks ago, a few weeks ago he said, you know, Sanchez Wheeler than LOZARDA right, that's kind of how that the hierarchy I guess of the rotation, however you want to look at it, Wheeler, Sanchez, Lozardo. But Lozardo has been their best pitchers for for a long time. So if you and obviously it depends on how you line it up or how the season's ending, but as of today, if you could line it up how you wanted to line it up. Jim Rubin, how would you line it up?
Speaker 4: I don't know, because I will say this about Lozardo.
Speaker 1: I'd feel comfortable starting him any game, and he pitches very well on the road, and that would be something I would consider it because they've considered Sanchez's success at home in the past.
Speaker 4: So I don't know who you know.
Speaker 1: I want to see the hot hand, I want to see how rested people are, and I want to see how long it takes you to clinch, so because you might need to win on the second to last day of the season and that might affect your postseason rotation. So I don't know what I would do at this moment, but I would feel very comfortable giving the ball to Hazelu's WIZARDO Senior Sweeper any day of the.
Speaker 3: Week, any opponent, any series, all three of them, I'll give all three of them the baseball. I don't care. It's basically how it lines up.
Speaker 5: But if it lines up properly, there's only one guy who's getting the baseball, and that's Zach Wheeler. Zack Wheeler's getting the first start. I'm going to tell you that right now, unless they can line it up. Unless they can't line it up, he's not able to pitch. Zack Wheeler's getting the baseball unless he totally blows up. And he's not going to blow up. He's going to get better. I guarantee that as well, especially if he's healthy. If he's healthy, he's getting the baseball on the game one.
Speaker 2: Wheeler is one of the best postseason pitchers in baseball history. You know he's got one of the I mean, he's been asked.
Speaker 3: I'm giving the baseball. If I'm a manager, I'm giving that sucker. The baseball.
Speaker 2: Makes a understandable yeah, but it's a nice It's a nice conversation to have again because it tells you just kind of what you have to work with. It's not like, well, Lozardo and a bunch of nobody's, it's.
Speaker 4: All all things equally.
Speaker 1: You going with Wheeler. But I'd still I wouldn't bat an eye with any any one of those guys.
Speaker 2: I would feel great Lozardo starting any game. I'd feel great with Lazard coming in on two days rest, pitching on the bullpen like you did the stadium.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: A lot of reasons to be confident when when Wizardo was on the mound.
Speaker 5: Okay, very underrated trade boys, very underrated trade.
Speaker 3: That is a quick quality arm that they picked up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fan trade ends up being a fantastic deal for the Phillies. All Right, we got some jim, we got some gardening questions, So it's time for look at that.
Speaker 7: I'm still happy in the garden.
Speaker 3: That. I love that jingle so much.
Speaker 7: It's such a happy jingle.
Speaker 1: We got to make these quick because I don't think people really like the gardening questions.
Speaker 2: Jim, they got they love the gardening questions? Love it if If you love the gardening questions, feel free to shoot Jim a tweet and tell them how much they love you love your garden.
Speaker 4: It just picked a nice bouquet of zinnias.
Speaker 7: Oh you go?
Speaker 3: Did you give them? Man? Yeah, they're on the kitchen table.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Did you present them properly? Did you present them properly the way she deserves them? I put them on a.
Speaker 4: Nice in a glass or a vase.
Speaker 3: And okay, all right.
Speaker 2: You didn't just throw them on the countertop and say do something?
Speaker 3: No, no, I arrangee.
Speaker 7: I love it all right. Here's the first question. This is from.
Speaker 2: Pasta water enthusiast for Jim.
Speaker 7: How are those tomatoes going? Can we see some?
Speaker 3: We keep?
Speaker 2: I would I keep telling Jim to please take some pictures every tomatoes so we can put it on social media.
Speaker 3: Has Jim done it?
Speaker 7: Has Jim done it?
Speaker 3: He has not? He has not.
Speaker 1: I did so a couple episodes ago, I showed a couple of them, showed.
Speaker 2: A zucchini and live you showed us live.
Speaker 3: Oh you want me in the garden?
Speaker 2: I want you in the garden? Or I want you to take a picture so we can post it on something.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll do that next time doing selfie, James.
Speaker 7: I know you know that the video is videos of his.
Speaker 3: Feet and my thumb videos, but his.
Speaker 2: Thumb you know spring turning has arrived when you see Jim's shoes on the video. Anyway, Jim, how are the tomatoes coming along doing well?
Speaker 1: I'm inundated with cherry tomatoes both, you know, the orange ones and the red ones. Got a lot of nice slicers, uh picked. I had one beat this year.
Speaker 3: I had.
Speaker 1: I had this package of beat seeds that were three years old, and I had like I used in the last few years, and I had like three seeds left in them, so I threw them on the ground and one of them came up, a nice, big honking beat.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Got a lot of nice basil green beans. Everything's going good and we're actually, you know, peak season right now. And my pablanos are looking good too, man. I love a nice boblano.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 3: Can you eat them? Can you handle alao? Oh? They're easy.
Speaker 1: I got nice cayenne and jalapenos too.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, oh yeah, they'll be afraid to bring them in James and Share Sharing is carrying Jim Sharing's.
Speaker 2: Car speaking of an over abundance of garden treats. This is a question from Jason McClain. Hey, Jim, it's the time of year where my friends and family are giving me piles of zucchini and squash. Got any suggestions on how to use it all or some favorite recipes?
Speaker 7: That does become an.
Speaker 2: Issue whereas people there the uh, the goods, the goods start Jim's Jim's gonna start coming to the ballpark with bags of tomatoes, right.
Speaker 1: My advice on squashes, don't a lot of people let those zucchinis get so big they look like you know, remember like on the Flintstones Bam bam, he had that that club.
Speaker 4: You don't want to let them get big. You want to pick them small.
Speaker 1: But if I let my zucchinis get a little bit bigger, I'll make boats out of them. And then you scoop them out and you can stuff them with like Italian stuff or Mexican stuff, beans and rice and hit him with a little enchilada sauce, bacon, cheese. So I grill them all the time. Zucchini and yellow squash. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you.
Speaker 4: Can get a lot of it.
Speaker 3: And some people makeoop process. I love that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, do a little scoop, make him make make boats out of them, you know, and then bake them. You might even want to maybe par bacon first with a little water in the uh, a little shot of water in the cookie sheets so it softens it.
Speaker 3: And then stuff them and put them back in. Get that cheese all melty.
Speaker 2: Oh man, what about your stuffed jlapenos? Those are a good. That's a good.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 1: I stuff those with like sausage and h and monterey jack, and then I wrap a little bacon, hit him with a toothpick, put them on the grill, let them get all singy.
Speaker 3: Oh they're good. Yeah, you don't see you don't stuff those with sausage. You stuff them with cha.
Speaker 4: What's that?
Speaker 1: Oh, that's a sausage type of thing, right, like salchica.
Speaker 4: What is that.
Speaker 3: Spanish of sausage? What is that? Yes, Spanish Spanish for sausage.
Speaker 7: It sounds tasty, doesn't it. It sounds good? Teach you.
Speaker 2: Yes, I love it all right. Those are our garden questions. We thank everybody. Jim Jim, Let Jim know how much you love his garden talk as well as as well as his baseball talk as well as all of our baseball talk. And we will be back, and we will be back next week.
Speaker 7: Guys.
Speaker 4: That was fun.
Speaker 7: Everybody.
Speaker 2: Enjoy your weekend.
Speaker 1: Big series to come on, man.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but Cardinals are I forgot to preview the series.
Speaker 2: The Cardinals are in town. Big series for the Phillies.
Speaker 3: Terrible, terrible series out there in Saint Louis.
Speaker 5: They need to bounce back and play quality baseball they've been doing the last couple of series.
Speaker 4: They should hear that thunder, big thunder here.
Speaker 2: They should have revenge on their minds against those Saint Louis Cardinals.
Speaker 1: I think the Cardinals UNI is my favorite. The Birds on the bat across the front. I love the look of that of that logo, you.
Speaker 6: Guys, Solid Uni, Solid UNI, great, solid, great uniform.
Speaker 2: I love the I love the Dodgers home uniform. That's a classic.
Speaker 7: That's Home Whites.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got you.
Speaker 2: The home Whites are solid.
Speaker 5: Talking about Tommy John, I'm still partial to the old school.
Speaker 3: I'm still partial to the old school.
Speaker 5: Phillies Away Blueshi Blues are tremendous.
Speaker 2: Those are my favorite of the Philly uniforms. Those are my of course.
Speaker 1: I wanted to say God bless Tommy John. I remember when Randy Wolf had had Tommy John surgery. I called up Tommy John and did a story talking to him about, you know, the surgery and what could Randy could could expect and things like that. And he was a real gentleman and I really considered it an honor to speak with him. So I was sad to see his passing.
Speaker 3: I remember him, well.
Speaker 1: Man two hundred and eighty eight wins and he still.
Speaker 3: Got a shot, and he's still got a shot at it.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's unfortunate that he's passed now that he's not going to reap the benefit of being a Hall of Famer, but I think he's should certainly be considered.
Speaker 1: And he pitched fourteen more seasons after the surgery. And one of the things that always stuck out to me, I remember watching this. I think it was like a TV story on on the surgery and whatnot, and they interviewed Frank Job and he did that surgery, like I said, in seventy four, and I think Cofax his last year was like sixty six. And Frank Job said, if we had had this surgery a little earlier, we might have been able to save Sandy Colfax's career.
Speaker 4: So pretty cool.
Speaker 2: You know, Tommy John had more wins after the surgery than he had before the surgery, and he had a heck of.
Speaker 3: Just like Jamie Moore.
Speaker 5: He had more wins after fifty than he did, you know, before fifty.
Speaker 7: Yeah, exactly right. Tommy John pitched until he was forty six.
Speaker 3: Amazing.
Speaker 1: I saw him pitch f I covered some games at Fenway when he in the late eighties, when.
Speaker 3: I first started that that he pitched.
Speaker 1: And then he pitched that game in the rain, right, Ruben? And uh he beat the Phillies in seventy seven in the rain at the Vet.
Speaker 3: Was that the day after Black Friday? Now, I'm really I'm sorry that wasn't Yeah, uh, maybe one of those.
Speaker 4: Remembers, one of those heartbreaking years.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, I'm sorry to bring up your sadness.
Speaker 3: I'm okay, I'm okay, I'm.
Speaker 7: Rubin's gotten over it by now.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, all right, well that's my my tangent.
Speaker 3: At least it was related to baseball, all.
Speaker 7: Right, guys, that Phillies Cardinals. This weekend. We'll be back on Monday to talk about everything that happened.
Speaker 1: And we will smellulated boys.
Speaker 3: Smell you, Jimmy. If you made it this far, you'll love this next video.
Speaker 5: Check it out right here, and make sure you subscribe to The Philly Show for more Phillies coverage like this, multiple times a week