Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind. My name is Robert Lamb.
Speaker 3: And I am Joe McCormick. And today on the show, we are going to be doing a holiday episode, but not on the holiday itself. Today we are talking about Saint Swithin's Day and its namesake, Saint Swithin.
Speaker 2: That's right. We were originally going to put this episode out on July fifteenth to correspond with Saint Swithin's Day, but some stuff came up. I had to take a week off, so we were had. We realized, well, we could sit on this episode and just finish it and record it later on the next time Saint Swiftin' Day happens to fall on the Tuesday or Thursday, or we could just simply push on and do it. Assuming that most of you are going to forgive us for being several weeks late to the punch on this perhaps obscure Saints Day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is a holiday. I would bet most of our American and international listeners will not be familiar with UK listeners. I'm maybe more likely. I'm not exactly sure how what consciousness of Saint Swithin is like today. But I guess if anybody out there is going to be wired in on Swithin it is It's probably like Catholics in England. But I don't know. So why are we talking about this? Why is this somewhat obscure medieval saint and his holiday even on our radar. The main reason, perhaps the only reason that I personally had any previous consciousness of Saint Swithin and his feast day was from a quite unlikely source, and that is the lyrics of a song by the late great psychedelic rock pioneer Rocky Ericsson, one of my personal favorite musical artists of all time. The song in which this lyric appears is called the Night of the Vampire, and it actually appears on multiple albums, including The Evil One from nineteen eighty that's one of my favorite rocky albums. Actually just got that on vinyl, and my daughter has become obsessed with it, like she asks for it by name one here, two Headed Dog. She begs us to put it on. Oh man, wonderful.
Speaker 2: I would play that in the car sometimes and my kiddo would sometimes ask me to skip Bloody Hammer. They're like I don't know about this song.
Speaker 3: Well, it might be different once she recognizes what all the lyrics are. I don't know, but right now she just thinks he's a funny Halloween guy. He just a Halloween guy.
Speaker 2: That is also true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but so she asks for Rocky but anyway, so it's on the evil one though. My favorite version of this song is actually the first track on Rocky's nineteen eighty six compilation album Grimlins Have Pictures. The title of that album, by the way, is taken from the lyrics of his song Anthem, and the full line there is Grimlins Have Pictures of the Anniversary of Christ.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that one's a real head scratcher. There are a lot of there's a lot of the lyrics to Rocky erics and songs will drift into head scratch your territory.
Speaker 3: But they're wonderful. I mean, they will make you scratch your head, but they'll also stay in your head, or at least in my head. I you know, after I listen to Rocky, even if I'm sort of in a Rocky way, and I guess you know, there are periods where I'm listening to him constantly and somewhere I listen less, but and the ones when I listen less sometimes something just comes like a bolt of lightning out of nowhere, and my brain is thinking, you know, if it's raining and you're running, don't slip in mud because if you do, you'll slip in blood. That is also from Night of the Vampire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, his lyrics have a real stream of consciousness vibe to them and amid them. Horror movie references will also invoke words, ideas and connections that were, you know, unique to his own mind and worldview. Might be difficult for the rest of us to understand, but that's the tantalizing part of that. It's like a puzzle and you're trying to interpret it the interpreter. Where is he now?
Speaker 3: Oh? Another one? Another good one. But anyway, So in the middle of the song to the Vampire, which is, as my kid would say, a Halloween guy song, it's a song about vampires. It's a song about raining and running, slipping in mud, slipping in blood. There is a bridge to the song where Rocky sings me Castle Brand, Transylvania on Saint Swithin's day. He was born, eyes stare through the darkness with no form, maidens his bite harms. That's a good slant rhyme, by the way, with you know born form harm but on Saint Swithin's day he was born. That's a strange connection to make. I want to come back in a minute to figure out what's going on with that now, if you're wondering, was it normal for this guy to sing rock songs about vampires? Yes, as we've established, he's a Halloween guy. Rocky's career had two main stages. In the nineteen sixties, he sang and performed with a Texas based garage psych band called the Thirteenth Floor Elevators. I think one of the best psychedelic rock bands of the sixties, really awesome. So he had a period with them where they released a couple of great albums. So one is The Psychedelic Sounds of the Thirteenth Floor Elevators. Their second album is my favorite. It's called Easter Everywhere. After that, he had a more difficult period where he had some legal issues and where he was he had a period of involuntary commitment at some statemental hospitals in Texas. After his eventual release, instead of going back to psychedelic sounds like he did with the thirteenth floor elevators. He instead focused on other genres. He did folk, blues, and particularly a kind of hard rock idea that he called horror rock, which was fueled by his longtime obsession with monster movies, especially old monster movies, like many of the things we cover on Weird House Cinema. In fact, we've done some very rocky centric movies on Weird House, like Creature with the Adam Brain has its own rocky ericson song, which is fabulous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he wasn't necessarily picking really well known films or the films that connected with him.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it's one of the charms because sometimes you might not even realize he's referring to a movie until you dig a little deeper.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Rocky described this genre at one point by saying, I'm trying to horrify them, demonize them, and possessionize them, and he's doing it. So Night of the Vampire is a core horror rock song. So I've been listening to this song for years. I first got into this, I think one summer when I was in college. So Saint Swithin's has been also banging around in my head as a phrase for that long. But I had never much looked into it until Rob this summer you flagged it on our show calendar saying, Hey, Saint Swithin's Day is a real day. Let's figure out what's going on here? And oh boy, that that was really music to my ears. So we very much got into the spirit of Saint Swithin and especially the question what does Saint Swithin have to do with vampires? Well, I did some fairly extensive digging on this question, and I've come to the conclusion that there is no connection at all outside this song. I can't find any records of a famous vampire from movies or literature who was born on Saint Swithin's day, nor any pre existing connection between the historical character of Saint Swithin and any vampire lore. Though maybe we can get halfway there by connecting Saint Swithin to some ambiguous witches or hags or valkyrie. Is some other kind of scary female creature.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: However, the one real connection I could find is that one person who was born on Saint Swithin's day was Rocky Erickson himself born July fifteenth, nineteen forty seven. Rocky's lyrics about movie monsters sometimes do shift back and forth between third person and first person. I think there is a good degree of when I'm talking about the monster, I am talking about myself. You know, I'm a demon and I love rock and roll. That's another one of his songs, So I think that probably is the main connection. That Saint Swithin's day is Rocky's birthday, and so the Night of the Vampire is his night. It's you know, the vampire is me to paraphrase Flaubert. However, to bring things back to Saint Swithin. While again I can't find any evidence of a vampire character born on Saint Swithin's celebration day, I do think there's an interesting connection in the lyrics of the song, and I already quoted this part. In the first verse of Night of the Vampire, Rocky offers the advice if it's raining and you're running, don't slip in mud, because if you do, you'll slip in blood. Tonight is the Night of the Vampire. So Rocky's head was stuck on the idea of trying to escape a vampire in a heavy rainstorm. And it turns out one of the most famous things about Swithin is that his Dayly fifteenth, is associated with a seasonal proverb for predicting the weather, specifically for predicting rain patterns in Great Britain. There are many versions of this saying, but here's one I came across. Goes like this, Saint Swithin's day, If thou dost rain for forty days, it will remain Saint Swithin's day. If thou be fair for forty days, twill rain, nay mayre. So that's sink in you. Basically, whatever you get on Saint Swithin's day, you're going to get that again for forty days.
Speaker 2: When I've been reading this over in the notes, though, I've gone ahead and read this in my head in Rocky Erickson's voice as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, twill rain, namaire, Yeah, I can hear it. He had a wonderful like a Texan accent to yowl.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But again, according to this proverb, if it rains on July fifteenth, it is going to keep raining for the next forty days. If it's dry, it will be dry the next forty days. So if that proverb actually holds true, true, Saint Swithin's day is a good tool for planning your upcoming vampire survival strategies. If it's raining on the fifteenth, you should invest in some boots with grippy souls to avoid slipping in mud and therefore slipping in blood. But is there anything to this kind of weather predicting dogg roll other than superstition and the fact that it rhymes? It does rhyme. You gotta admit that, Rob, Yeah, And what was the deal with this Saint Swithin guy? What does he have to do with whether whether it rains or not? These questions are what we'll be exploring for the rest of today's episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, We'll leave it to you to ultimately decide how closely aligned the lyrics of Rocky ericson are with this historic individual and legendary English saint.
Speaker 3: I guess we got to say this near the top because we keep calling him Saint Swithin. Rob, did you come across the fact that even though he is widely known as Saint Swithin, he was never officially canonized by the Catholic Church, So he's not actually a saint on paper, only a street saint, a saint by reputation.
Speaker 2: That's right, He's he was never canonized as a saint by the Catholic Church, So yeah, he's a He's not a saint saint, just a street saint.
Speaker 3: As you say, Now, I think what we could start off by doing is dividing the historical Saint Swithin from the legendary Saint Swin. And I think that will be a reasonably easy, uh division to make because from what I can tell, Rob, I think you did more of the historical research. But is it correct that very little is known about the real historical Saint Swin and that much of his biography, maybe almost all of his biography is understood by historians to be legend, probably fabricated long after his death.
Speaker 2: Correct, Yeah, most of we know very little about the historic individual that then ends up being built out into this saint of legend. Well, historians do agree that there was definitely an historic Swithen. You know, sometimes you peel away the layers of legend and you discover there's perhaps nobody at the bottom, or there's just sort of a hypothetical real person at the bottom of things. But there was an individual by the name of Swithin. He would have been born around eight hundred CE. He was consecrated by Selnoth, Archbishop of Canterbury, on October thirtieth, eight fifty two, and he died on July Tewod eight sixty two. He served as the Bishop of Winchester, England, and also served as counselor to Kings Egbert and Athel Wolf of Wessex. This is the Kingdom of the West Saxons in the south of Great Britain. All that definitely true. No layers of legend, you know, these are just some of the basics. This is some of the basic information that we have about him, and when it comes down to it, it's like just the basics that we really have after his death, or perhaps more accurately, after the popularity of an account following his death. He was popularly venerated as a saint, but again was never officially canonized as a saint by the Catholic Church. And this will make you know, and it all makes sense as we get into how he becomes a saint and so forth. But as far as other details about the real life of the historic Swiin, yeah, we actually have very little to go on. There are a few mentions of him from contemporary sources, and the problem with saints in general, is that their lives are often constructed long after their deaths by much later writers. So I was turned to a couple of main sources here. There's a two thousand and three book, The Cult of Saint Swithin by Michael Lappage, and that's certainly a great book to look to if you want to deeper dive into the questions and mysteries and legends surrounding this individual. I also referred to Winchester Cathedral historian Tom Watson's shorter work an article by the same name, The Cult of Saint Swiftin from two thousand and eight, and that one also cites Lappage's work, going it out as as a major work of modern scholarship about swiven All.
Speaker 3: Right, so we know that the real Swithen died around the middle of the ninth century. You said the year eight sixty two CE. So when do the writings about him first start to appear? When does his reputation begin to boom?
Speaker 2: The cult of Swiften doesn't really begin in earnest until around nine thirty seven, So yeah, many decades after his death. The first known writings of his miracles came out three years after that, another history emerges twenty years after that with new attributed miracles, and another comes out two hundred and thirty years after his death.
Speaker 3: So one of these cases where more detail is added the longer time goes on. That's always the suspicious pattern.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, but of course it makes sense when again we're talking about legends and stories. We're not talking about things that objectively actually happened. Yeah, we're talking about myth making. And I mean that's part of of what's that's the huge part of what's going on here. And as Watson explains, and in this he was citing the work of Susan Richard English Saint Coults, they didn't simply develop, they were developed. It was a matter of branding and then eventually rebranding and of advertising. Quote the most successful, that is, most popular cults had shrines visited by many pilgrims. The popularity of shrines also rose and fell. They were actively promoted and across the entire medieval period, relaunched in response to competition.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, So the accretion of stories around a popular saint wouldn't necessarily be driven just by organic folklore and word of mouth and people adding on, you know, things happening out amongst the people, that there could be a kind of top down effort by people whose livelihoods or whose missions were associated with this saint to beef up the what was known about them and to make them appear and come off a certain way.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I like this comparison to you know, any kind of like branding and rebranding effort you have today. You think of like any long lasting fast food chain, A lot of things are going to be the same, maybe like the central mascot and the logo, but things may shift, and they're gonna shift in response to what the public wants or things they want, or in response to what more powerful entities decide that the people should want and so forth.
Speaker 3: Man, you ever get nostalgic for the architecture of taco bells and pizza huts from the nineties and now they just all look like banks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the little things like that, or ancient McDonald's playgrounds times when they had the full pantheon before it went monotheistic. Seeah, I think there are a lot of comparisons to be made here between these cults and enterprises like that. So as these various authors point out the formation of the Cult of Saint Swith itself came about in nine thirty seven, evidently due to the pressure of reform movements active in the church at the time, and perhaps even more to the point, due to the efforts of a youthful new king, King Edgar, who is attempting to assert his power over the nation and making use of the church as part of his strategy. So the reform movement here was aimed at making English churches more religiously rigorous and also more monastic, and entailed on Edgar's part the forced removal of secular clerics. Secular clerics would be clerics that they were not monks, they could even marry, and so he's having them forcibly removed and replacing them with monks. And Swiften just happened to be the right local name to take up in this campaign for power, even though it's ironic that the actual Swiften was a secular cleric and was not a monk.
Speaker 3: Wait does that mean Swiffen was married or do we not know?
Speaker 2: I don't As far as I could tell, he wasn't married, or if he was married, we don't know anything of it. But Yeah, he was not himself a monk, and you know, there were these stories that said he was. You know, there's just because we have all these legends, it's very possible that he was a very pious and humble man. We just don't know. We just have all these layers of legends built upon it, and very little is known about the historic Swian. But we can put together that he was close to the ruling Anglo Saxon royal family. He tutored the future King ethel Wolf, and this very king promoted him to the Bishop of Winchester in eight fifty two. We also know from you know, scant mentions that he seemed to have been involved in the repair of several churches, and if we were to believe a tenth century poem, he also had a bridge built. These are pretty far from miracles, but these are the actual things that he probably had a hand in.
Speaker 3: You know, a lot of medieval sources we've been looking at recently really emphasized the church building or church repair career of people. What this just came up in our Cats episode. Yeah, we were talking about the mystical Cats of Great Britain, where what like the guy who was doing unspeakable cat crimes in order to get a message from the other world about you know what, what have I got to do to make things right? And the King of cats comes and tells him you got to build seven churches.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, what a kind of public works are you gonna build? I mean, basically, comes, you're gonna build a church, You're gonna build a bridge, what else? You're not gonna build a water treatment plant? So y might as well build that church.
Speaker 3: Okay, But so a known as a supporter of church and and possibly also some secular infrastructure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but basically, you know, he this is a man who had a career and we only know just a few bullet points about his career, and as far as we can tell, he was he was not considered saintly during his own lifespan. You know, people I guess liked him, and you know, being reasonable, there are probably some people who didn't like him because he was a human being in a position of some power. But and he also wasn't considered saintly in the hundred years that fought or so were roughly one hundred years that followed his death. All of it was built up on after that.
Speaker 3: Point Okay, so where's the first jumping off point. When do we start getting stories?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, they basically with the creation of the cult, but certainly by the time we see the tenth century work life of Saint Swithin. According to Lappage, this is just like pure fiction, just he says, the creation of a scholar who had few historical resources at his disposal. He stresses that there's there's a lot of conjecture. There's you know, there are things you can point to in these legends and say, well, okay, something in that could have been true maybe, But one of the things that factors into like a key story that we're going to be talking about concerning Swift and concerns his humble burial requests, and according according to Lapage, like this is just complete legend making here. So basically the idea and we'll tell the story a little more detail here shortly, but the idea is that when he died, he's like, don't bury me in a fancy tomb, bury me like out here in the dirt, out in front of the church. I want to be where people can walk over my grave.
Speaker 3: Some of them phrase it in a more aggressive way, and he's like, bury me in a nasty place, bury me in a violent, gross, gross place.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But the Lappage says that now he would have been buried in a sarcophagus within a prominent tomb outside of the old Minster Church, and then later he's moved inside the church. And this has everything to do with the creation of the of the saint, the cults of the Saint around him, and then the church was eventually expanded to encompass the grounds he was ariginally buried on. And I think there's something kind of poetic to that. You know, here's an historic individual sort of consumed by the church or the workings of the church in the hands of kingly authority, and the original historic individual becomes kind of redundant via the waves of all of this legend making interesting.
Speaker 3: All right. So that is what we know about swithin, the historic ninth century cleric of the Catholic Church. But what do we know about the character, the character that blooms from the grave of this figure.
Speaker 2: Well, a lot of it I think is summed up in that in this legend, this story that he says, you know, bury me, bury me in the dirt, don't bury me in the tomb. Give me a common nasty grave, if you will, so that the rain's going to fall in my grave. Common people can visit my grave, walk over it, and so forth. And the idea that the idea here is that they initially honor it, but then they reverse the decision a century later, and his remains are moved into the new church building, and then forty days of rain follow Ah.
Speaker 3: Okay, so here's where we start getting the tie into the rain. Now. I was trying to find more information about the legends of Saint Swithin's life and his connection to the weather proverb that I mentioned earlier, and I came across an article from the journal Weather from the year nineteen forty seven by an author Anthony Klein. It's called Saint Swithin's forty Days. Again, that's in the journal Weather. So Klein the author here talks about how weatherlower tends to come and go over time, but he says that the predictive proverb associated with Swithin's day has really stuck around. It has a tenacity, and he said, at the time of his writing many still believe it. This would have been in the nineteen forties. He says of course, meteorologists have suppered tools to work with now in predicting the weather, and yet quote still many harbor some minute and shadowy faith. However, despite the popularity and tenacity of the proverb, one thing that seems quite clear is that orst this is one of these things like you can't rule out conclusively, but it really does not seem to go back to Saint Swithin himself. In fact, at the time of Klein's writing, the earliest evidence he knew of knew of for the prediction that forty days of rain would follow if it rained on Saint Swithin's day was dated to Ben Johnson around the year sixteen hundred, more than seven hundred years after Saint Swithin's death. He quotes a version, so I'll read from Kline here quote. At the end of the century, Poor Robin's Almanac included in its dog roll for July these lines in this month is Saint Swithin's day, on which if that it rained, they a full forty days after it will or more or less some rain distill. Which is interesting because that's it's a similar rhyme pattern, and it's like four lines and it has the same meaning as the rhyme I read earlier, but is totally different words.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, a little more awkward. Yeah, it's construction, at least by our standards.
Speaker 3: I agree the earlier one scanned a little better. After this, Klein talks about some other legends of Saint Swithin. So I did want to go go abroad a little bit and look at a few other legends about his life. There's one good one where there's an old lady carrying a basket of eggs and then a klutzy guy passes by her. I think maybe this is happening on a bridge or something. But a klutzy guy walks by the lady with her eggs and he breaks all the eggs, and the old lady is distraught. She cries out for her eggs, and then Saint Swyin comes along. He sees the situation, he gives a quick blessing and her eggs are repaired. Wow. Okay, so that's a miracle. But then I'm thinking, how are you actually supposed to picture that? Picture it happening? The eggs break and the goop comes out? Does the group go back inside the eggs? Are you supposed to picture the goop slithering inside like one half of the shell, and then the eggs like close back over it.
Speaker 2: Hmmm. Oh ye, yeah, you're I think you're picturing it like he's reversing the footage. Yeah, and I guess I'm trying to imagine it more like a sleight of hand trick, like he passes his palm over the cracked eggs, and then in his palm's wake he leaves behind uncracked.
Speaker 3: Eggs, missing footage. Yeah, okay, reversing the footage versus just a hard cut.
Speaker 2: Yeah. By the way, according to Lappage, this one story, apparently, this one swift and miracle may have been reported off him during his lifetime, but it still wasn't written down until one hundred and twenty years after his death. So he contends that it's it's very dubious, but he at least he does acknowledge that it's possible this story was told about him during his lifetime.
Speaker 3: It's one of the stories I see mentioned in multiple sources about Swinton, so it seems to be a popular one that he repaired broken eggs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's it also seems humble enough, you know, for an individual who wasn't necessarily on the track for local sainthood just because he may have helped an old lady with some broken eggs, you know, and we can easily imagine what the real world version of that could have been like, maybe he saw somebody with a broken egg and he's like, hey, I've got some extra eggs, have some, you know, and this act kindness gets, you know, magically translated into miracle.
Speaker 3: I was wondering if it could have anything to do with him as the repairer of broken churches, Yeah, because he, you know, did the restorations and repairs there anyway. So a one source that a lot of writers on this topic end up going back to is a nineteenth century Oxford professor of Anglo Saxon named John Earl, who wrote an essay in the eighteen sixties called on the Life and Times of Swithin which you can find collected in a book called Gloucester Fragments. That's where I was reading it. So Earl talks about how in the tenth and eleventh century biographies of swithin quote, the historical part was very very meager, being little more than a frame to support the medallions of popular tradition and Earl claims that during this period of history, a lot of the stories that were told about Christian saints actually have analogues in stories about pre Christian gods and heroes, So he argues that it's possible in some cases the deeds attributed to saints and Christian figures like Swithin are actually pieces of older pagan folklore being transferred onto an acceptable Catholic host.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, that's interesting. This reminds me. It's it's kind of like the the darker version of perhaps the same thing, but with with urban legends. Sometimes you encounter this where you'll have like urban legends, like generally scandalous things that are said about celebrities of old, and then they'll eventually get passed on to new celebrities, often with the new tale tellers maybe not even being not even realizing that these same stories were told about previous rock stars or actors or what have you. But you need a place to hang them, thank you, to use this analogy of the medallions hanging on the framework.
Speaker 3: Have we been hearing about how Bruno Mars bit the head off a bat?
Speaker 2: Not yet, but that's exactly the sort of thing you can you can imagine.
Speaker 3: I guess, but that one really happened though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, or some version of it, right yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, not about Bruno Mars, I mean I actually did. Sorry anyway, But from here, Earl goes on to tell a pretty weird story from one of these Swithin legends that I just want to to recount here, so he says, quote among the stories narrated of Swyden is the following. A certain nobleman was walking by the side of a river at noontide, and he became suddenly aware of three female figures of more than human stature, which rapidly and furiously bore down upon him. He could not escape. They seized him and maltreated him and left him as dead. He was brought to Swyen and presently restored. In this narrative we may confidently recognize the three fates of Scandinavian mythology, the past, the present and the future. They make their appearance again in the form of the three witches who meet Macbeth and Banquo on the heath, the weird sisters hand in hand posters of the sea and land. And then he also goes on to say a well known chromlic on the verge of Dartmoor near Drustenden has three tall uprights. The name of the cromlic among the people of the country is the Spinster's Rock. Still the same three weird or fatal sisters. And here I looked up this monument by the way, Spinster's Rock near Dartmoor, which is in southwest England. It's a neolithic chambered tomb or the modern remains of which what's left of it are actually a reconstruction now of three upright stones balancing a large capstone between them. What we're looking at in this picture of is a modern reconstruction after this thing collapsed, I believe during a storm in the eighteen sixties a storm. Yeah, but I've got an illustration of the original monument from eighteen forty eight for you to look at here, and it does look a little bit haunting. So yeah, three upright stones and a big multi ton capstone balance between them. Obviously has some wonderful associations with this kind of legend of like three you know, three dangerous witches or weird sisters, or figures of you know, female monstrous figures of some kind. I'm not sure what modern folklore scholars would make of these connections that Earle is drawing. I think now there is a tendency to look back on some of the folklore scholarship of the nineteenth and early twentieth century with a little more critical of a lens. Like a lot of the soldier scholarship was probably a little too enthusiastic in finding parallels between different stories and practices and then asserting with too little evidence that it was actually that, actually one of these is the direct ancestor of the other. I mean, in some cases, of course it is, but in other cases we don't know. Though in this case it seems interesting and Rob, I think you even did you come across another version of a story like this about Swiften or the same story?
Speaker 2: I think it is the same story. So Lappage includes a section here where I think he's including the actual text from it. So this would have been from Lanford of Fleury, who wrote a tenth or eleventh century work, The Life of Saint Swiften, which again is this is very much in the tradition of legendary Saint Swiftin this is not historic at all. But yeah, this this bit where he tells the tale of a local man of Winchester who happens to be traveling along, takes a nap, and when he wakes up he sees two grotesque female creatures. These are two of the witches, two of the weird sisters. Quote, not decked out in any finery, nor covered up with any clothing, but rather naked to their foul skin and terrifying with their swarthy hair, blackened with faces like tosephany, and armed with hellish wickedness and poison. And here in name referring to one of the names of the furies, and this is referred to once more in the text as well, saying like these are like two of the three furies. But Lappage notes that when we get into some of the terms used, yeah, these may be hags or witches. There's this word hag, hag sessen, and this is sometimes Lappage notes associated with the word valkyrie. So in a way you could think of these certainly as hags or witches, but also you could probably think of them as valkyries to a certain extent, or at least the stories that these are based on, like the original spirit of this medallion that's now hung on the frame of Saint Swithin you know, may go back to stories of the valkyries in Scandinavian traditions.
Speaker 3: Okay, so in this case, the kind of connection that Earl is making to earlier pre Christian stories Lappage seems to be at least partially endorsing. More modern scholar is also saying that there seems to be some real connective tissue here.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And the full story boy goes on along ways. But basically, these two witches try to speak to this man of Winchester, and he is frightened and he runs away from them, and they chase after him, and they taunt him about how he's doomed and he's gonna die when they catch him, and so he prays to God for protection. Meanwhile, the third sister, who is dressed all in white, she calls out to the other two and she's like, stop chasing him. Loop around over here with me. I'm going to ambush him. I'm going to get him real good. And then thanks to God's interference, he attack is like partially blocked and it only wounds like the man on one side of his body, but he's pretty wounded, so he has to be taken to the nearest church where he is healed by none other than Bishop Swithen.
Speaker 3: S with unto the rescue. He just treats him like a big egg. Yeah.
Speaker 2: By the way, on the subject of hags and witches in Saint Swithin, Sir Walter Scott in his eighteen fourteen novel Waverley, has this fragment of a ballad that is included that Scott put together for use in the fiction here called Saint Swithin's Chair. And you can look this up. It's on your main poetry websites. But I just want to read just a bit from it where he's taking this connection between Swithin and hags and like taking it in a darker direction. And he says he that dares sit on Saint Swithum's chair when the night hag wings the troubled air questions three. When he speaks the spell, he may ask and she must tell. So in this, you know, Scott would seem to be like taking these ideas about about Swithen and like taking them to the next darker step, not just one that not one that controls or has influence over the weather, or even one that can can can heal the damage rot by hags, but perhaps one that can control the creatures of the night as well.
Speaker 3: Wow. You know, to continue with with Earl's theme of decorating the lives of Christian saints with material from other sources, hanging the medallions on the frame, so to speak. Uh, he mentions stories based on wonders of nature, and I just wanted to throw this out there quick, because this relates to something we just discussed in our Cats of Cyprus episode. So he says, quote, any phenomenon, whether constant or casual, that had arrested popular attention was fit matter for these amusing and edifying narratives. The ammonites of Whitby became coiled serpents of that Saint Hilda had charmed. Another geological curiosity became the beads of Saint Cuthbert, and to Saint Patrick was attributed the absence of venomous serpents in Ireland. But yeah, that first example, we were just talking about the ammonites, the shells of these now extinct cephalopods, these sea creatures that died out in the KPg extinction. You know, we find these fossils everywhere, certainly in England. But yeah, these are actually now the coiled serpents of Saint Hilda. I think we were talking about them as coiled serpents of something else.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, it was Hilda.
Speaker 3: Oh it was Hilda. Okay, okay, but you people were like trying to help out the connection by carving snake faces into them. They're a little too cute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can look up images of these. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Anyway, But coming back to Klein's discussion of the weather related stories, so those are some other stories. You know, he fixes broken eggs, he heals people who have been attacked by witches or weird sisters or valkyries or whatever. But another story from the legend of Saint Swithin which actually connects thematically to the weather. So this is what you were alluding to earlier.
Speaker 2: Rob.
Speaker 3: The story goes that Saint Swiin was so humble and so pious that he asked that at the time of his death his body be buried outside the church. And I assume this is referring to Winchester Cathedral, or at least the version of that cathedral that existed at the time. The Winchester Cathedral that exists today was built centuries after Swidin's death, but so it was the earlier version of that church. He wanted to be outside so that as we were talking about, rain would fall upon his grave, and so that the feet of people passing by the church would trample on top of it. And the clergy initially honored his wishes. They put him where he asked. But about one hundred years after his death, some churchmen got squeamish and they were like, Saint Swiin was really holy, isn't it wrong that people should be walking around on top of his grave? So they made preparations to dig up his remains and move them on the date of July fifteenth, But when the day came, a mighty storm broke out, forcing the church to delay their plans. Only the storm did not stop. It kept reigning for forty days and forty nights straight, and this was interpreted as Saint Swithin's revenge from beyond the grave, or at least him issuing a stern warning to them do not disobey his wishes. So instead they just built a chapel over his existing grave, and many miracles were performed there. It seems like still a violation of what he was asking for. Yeah, I don't know, but client says this story is not the origin of the weather prophecy. And this version of the story does not show up until the eighteenth century, and it contradicts the claims of his earlier biographies, which are again are probably also legendary, but were at least earlier. These earlier biographies, you know, they they're the ones that talk about the things I was bringing up earlier about him being a real work beast when it came to infrastructure projects, restoring old churches, building new ones. Apparently he you know, he really impressed the King ethel Wolf by doing all this work, and ethel Wolf eventually granted the church ten percent of its royal lands as a gift. According to these stories, and also at Winchesters, it is said that he had a stone bridge built over the river Itchin, and he was known for being deeply humble and even ascetic, Like he traveled through his diocese on foot, and he threw banquets where only the poor and the outcast were invited, the rich were not allowed in.
Speaker 2: And like that's one of the details where I think you can the argument and that could be true, absolutely could be true, it doesn't break anything else that we understand about the man or the time.
Speaker 3: According to these earlier stories, when he died, he left instructions that he was to be buried outside the church in Oh, here's the source of what I was saying earlier, buried outside the church in quote, a vile and unworthy place. And then this earlier biography also tells that in the year nine seventy one, more than one hundred years after his death on July fifteenth, in fact, his remains were actually successfully moved from their original resting place, from the vile and unworthy place and taken to a new church. And so this contradicts the forty days of rain revenge story and really has nothing to do with weather. Now Here client actually brings it back to the figure of John Earle, the Anglo Saxon professor I was talking about earlier, who, he says, quote in the middle of last century, discovered and translated a fragmentary chronicle concerning the transference. According to this, Bishop Swien appeared in a dream to an aged smith at Winchester, bidding him communicate to the monks the saints wish that his bones should be brought within the church asking for a sign to convince the monks of the authenticity of the message. He was told to pull an iron ring embedded in Swithin's stone coffin and it would come away. So it did, but the smith still hesitated until Swyin had appeared to him three times. Then he obeyed.
Speaker 2: It's interesting that part of the confirmation here is dig up my grave and then pull on parts of my coffin. So at that point you've aready done, like what a third of the work anyway, maybe half the work.
Speaker 3: But he had to appear three times like this smith took some convincing. But it's also the exact opposite of the earlier story. So in this version of the story, the transfer of the remains was not contrary to Swithin's wishes. It was his direct request. And then you've got additional legendary explanations for the transfer. Let's see, there were stories of like I think one of them goes basically like There were stories that went far and wide of miracles worked at the grave of Swithin. The blind came to it and recovered their sight. There's a story of a humped man losing his hump. So the king at the time, King Edgar, heard of these wonder works, and he thus ordered that Swiin's remains be moved from his grave into a gold shrine covered in jewels. Seems to befitting of such a humble man as Swithin, And there was a great ceremony in the feast. And in this version of the story there's like nothing at all about weather. So what's the origin of the connection to whether? As of Klein's article, he says the answer is not really known, But of course Earl speculates that it may have to do with a pre existing tradition, possibly going back to three Christian times. Throughout many different local European pagan mythologies of weather predicting proverbs that were rooted in some kind of local god or hero. There are other local saints around the world associated with weather prediction heuristics. For example, the legend of Saint Medard's Day June eighth, known in France so Madard or Medardas was a Christian bishop who lived in the fifth through the sixth century in modern day France, and the legend about him goes that one day when Madarda's child he was out walking in the country with a bunch of other people. They were out and it was nice weather. But then a terrible thunderstorm broke out, and the people all around him were soaked in the rain. But Madard himself was bone dry because he was sheltered from above by a giant eagle that hovered over his head with wings unfolded for the entire of his journey home. So an eagle umbrella.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, one that hovers, yes.
Speaker 3: And so in France there was a weather prediction proverb or weather prophecy about Saint Medard's day that is almost identical to the Swien proverb. It's basically, if it rains on Saint Madard's day, there will be forty more days of rain. If it's dry, the next forty days will be dry. And then Earl has a footnote where he also mentions a couple of other figures like this. Apparently there's a weather predicting proverb for a Saint Prote in France prot Ais. And then he also says quote, the reigning saint in Flanders is a Saint a Godoliev And in Germany there are three reigning saints or Saints days. One of the days is that of the Seven Sleepers. I think we've talked about the Seven Sleepers on the show, haven't we.
Speaker 2: I believe so I'm a little foggy off the top of my head who they were while they were sleeping, But I do believe we've talked about them.
Speaker 3: I think the story is they were early Christian saints in the Roman Empire who went into a cave to escape persecution by the Romans, and then they fell asleep, and then they woke up. I don't know. It's a kind of a rip van Winkle thing. They woke up many many years later.
Speaker 2: We talked about them in our episode on time travel fiction and what are some of the arguments for early precursors to science fiction time travel stories. It's, in my opinion, a pretty cool episode, So I would recommend folks go back and listen to it. Yeah, because it's like the idea of time travel, like where not only where does it come from, but how far back were we thinking about things like it? How far back did we think about time in the same way, Because nowadays, with via time travel fiction, we think about this sort of thing all the time. If I could go back and change this. If I could go into the future and see what this will look like.
Speaker 3: I have fun memories of that episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and now you can actually go back in time and listen to it. That's the thing about vodcasts.
Speaker 3: So there's another quick literary connection I wanted to discuss that I thought was interesting. This one I came across in a post by the Royal Meteorological Society of Great Britain. The post is called behind the Folklore Saint Swithin's Day? Does rain today really mean a ruined summer? This is from July fifteenth, twenty nineteen. This post includes a quote from a poem called Trivia or the Art of Walking the Streets of London, by the British writer John Gay, published in seventeen sixteen. I knew nothing of this work beforehand, but I looked it up and it had some very funny parts. It's a satirical poem giving advice about how to walks around the city, including everything from what to where, to strategies for avoiding common dangers and obstacles in the streets. You know, how not to get a chamber pot port on your head or whatever. And here's one couplet from it when suffocating mists obscure the morn let thy worst wig long used to storms be worn.
Speaker 2: And it rhymes too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's just good advice. Yeah, But there is a passage that directly addresses the weather predicting proverb of Saint Swithin, and also one that is about the Festival of Saint Paul as well. So there are multiple weather predicting proverbs. So John Gay's poem goes like this, all superstition from thy breast, repel let, credulous boys and prattling nurses tell how if the Festival of Paul be clear, plenty from liberal horn shall strow the ear. When the dark skies dissolve in snow or rain, the labor hind shall yoke the steer in vain. But if the threatening winds in tempest roar, then war shall bathe her wasteful sword and gore. And then here's the relevant part with Swithen, This is the other half here. How if on Swithin's feast, the welkin lowers, I was like, what, I had to look that up, so that meaning dark clouds gather. Basically, welkin is the sky lowers, I think means like lowers like it grows dark, if the sky grows dark, If on Swithin's feast, the welkin lowers, and every penthouse streams with hasty showers twice twenty days, shall clouds their fleeces drain and wash the pavements with incessant rain? Let not such vulgar tails debase thy mind nor Paul nor swithen rules the clouds and wind, oh sad to end on that kind of rhyme that doesn't really work anymore, Mind and mind and wind? I wonder did did mind sound like wind? Or did wind sound like mind?
Speaker 2: I mean, that's that's always the question, right, are you gonna Are you gonna actually try and make something like this rhyme when you pronounce it and potentially sound foolish.
Speaker 3: But so, even in seventeen sixteen, this guy's well aware of this proverb as like a common saying, but he's saying, pay no attention, it's hogwash. In fact, I couldn't find any older sources where people are saying this is a good. Yeah, this is good, it really works. Every source I was finding on it was just people hundreds of years ago saying this is stupid. It doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because all you have to do is observe and you don't need It's not one of these things where you can just say, well, if you have the benefit of long term record keeping, like no, it's like if you've just tried it out more than once or even once, you'd realize, you know, that didn't work, that actually wasn't helpful advice.
Speaker 3: That's right. So here we come to the question does it actually predict the weather? The short answer is no. It is not a reliable guide and you can easily find lots of cases where it's wrong. In fact, if you're strict about it, it is always wrong. The Royal Meteorological Society post points out quote since records began, not a single forty day drought has occurred anywhere in the UK during the summer months, and there has not been one instance at any time of the year of forty consecutive days of rainfall sunshine on Saint Swithin's day in Miami, Maywell auger forty days of unbroken sunshine, But in Blackpool it most assuredly does not. So the if you're very strict about interpreting it, this never ever has happened, and never will happen. I mean maybe in a million years, but never happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, once they build the dome or something.
Speaker 3: You know. Now, if you're not as strict in interpreting it, if you take it more as an indicator of general trends, it often does hold true, though you can still find lots of years where it does not.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 3: John Earl investigated this in the eighteen hundreds. In his piece on it, he's like looking at almanacs, and he says, quote in z Owns Everyday Book for July fifteenth, some observations are quoted, tending to prove that though it will not bear rigid examination, yet it is not totally unfounded. Among other instances, these occur. In eighteen oh seven, it proved wrong. A rainy July fifteenth was followed by a dry time. In eighteen oh eight, it was wet, and the rule came partially true. In eighteen eighteen and eighteen nineteen. July fifteenth was dry and followed by dry weather. Of the series eighteen oh seven to eighteen nineteen, it was generally true enough, but in the wet summer of eighteen sixteen, though the adage was literally verified. Yet the heaviest wet fell before the fifteenth and Earl has a friend who studies meteorology who tells him that, you know, really, the only way people can believe this prognostication has predictive value is by quote attention being given to the instances wherein it fell true and neglect of the cases in which the reverse occurred.
Speaker 2: Ah, isn't that always the case?
Speaker 3: Yeah, this would be once again our old friend confirmation bias, where you count the hits and you ignore the misses. And you know, I think a lot of even outside of weather prediction, just a lot of common sayings and proverbs are regarded as wisdom in part on the basis of confirmation bias. They're not actually true in all cases, or sometimes even in most cases, but because we're already familiar with a proverb propounding a rule or a pattern, we notice events that conform to the rule and associate them with the rule, and we tend to ignore events that contradict the rule, or at least we don't mentally associate them with the saying. So I was just thinking of common sayings. One that came to mind for me is absence makes the heart grow fonder, seems very true, right, seems very true?
Speaker 2: Why people keep saying it?
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, being away from something or someone makes you yearn for them thing or that person. But there's also a counter saying, out of sight out of mind. This also seems true, even though it basically means exactly the opposite. And I think the reality is that sometimes absence makes the heart grow fonder, and sometimes it doesn't. And in the cases where it does, it seems like it proves the saying true, and in cases where it doesn't, it just doesn't occur to us to count it against the proverb. So maybe instead it just counts as confirmation of an opposing proverb. Oh, out of sight, out of mind confirmed? So like both are true even though they contradict.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, it's you're summoning a saying to make sense of things that are happening in your life, or maybe even serve as kind of a predictive model of what might happen, you know, feeding the the the ever turning gears of the mind with these things. So yeah, it's only important to you to whatever extent it backs up your existing machinations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I think sayings like this are often they're not really useful for predictive power, what they're actually used for is a mental classification system for events in our lives. They're more kind of like a filing system for our own mental biography. You know, I can remember this event that happened here under the kind of salience tag of absence makes the heart grow fonder, and this other event I can remember under the salience tag of out of sight, out of mind. Yeah. But anyway, back to the weather. So, while it's certainly not true all of the time, maybe not even most of the time, when taken as a predictor of trends on average, I think you could argue the swin proverb has a little bit of truth to it. And there is interestingly actually a mechanism, a scientific mechanism we can point to that would explain why it sometimes has a little truth to it, and that is the jet stream.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 3: This is a point made by that post by the Royal Meteorological Society. So the post concludes, quote the middle of July tends to be around the time that the jet stream settles into a relatively consistent pattern. If the jet stream lies north of the UK throughout the summer, continental high pressure is able to move in bringing warmth and sunshine. If it sticks further south, Arctic air and Atlantic weather systems are likely to predominate, bringing colder, wetter weather. So to explain that a little bit more so, the jet stream is this fast moving current of air in the upper atmosphere above like nine thousand meters that typically flows from west to east. There are four main jet streams on Earth. You've got two at the boundary of each polar region in the North Pole and the South Pole, and then you've got two subtropical jet streams. The specific current that has the most influence on European weather is the northern polar jet stream. Jet Streams are formed because of the temperature difference between two big masses of air, in this case, the cold polar air and the warmer air of the northern mid latitude. So you've got warmer air at lower latitudes colder air at higher latitudes, and there's a boundary point where they meet, and this boundary point creates strong horizontal pressure gradients in the upper atmosphere. In short, big differences in pressure between over here and over there. And these big differences in pressure mean there's a lot of moving air in the upper atmosphere. The moving air at this boundary gets deflected to the right in the northern hemisphere because of our old friend, the Coriolis effect. Because the Earth is spinning west to east, it deflects these movements to the right, which creates this powerful, fast moving river of air flowing west to east in the upper atmosphere and is going fast at speeds of several hundred miles per hour. And this is the northern Polar jet stream. It often tends to flow right over or right around the British Isles. So the position of this jet stream is largely determinative of Europe's weather. If the jet stream is flowing in a relatively straight line across roughly the same latitude, it can mean somewhat erratic weather, actually, because what that means is it will be pulling regular storms in from the Atlantic on a repeating basis, and then they'll be punctuated by periods of calm in between. However, if it's a more squiggly line, think of like a meandering river, kind of looping up and down. If it's shaped more like that, which it sometimes is, Britain's weather will depend more on which side of the squiggly line it ends up lassoed into. So if it is trapped in part of a bend reaching up from the south, this will tend to mean warm, dry weather, kind of a more Mediterranean weather system. And if it is part of a bend curling down from the north, this will usually mean Britain gets cool, rainy weather driven by the polar air mass coming in from the sea. And these wavy patterns can sometimes park over an area like Britain for several weeks at a time, leading to somewhat stable patterns which, while not exactly conforming to Swien's forty days prediction, they can approximate it. So there is a little bit of something going on here based in real weather patterns.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you can imagine somebody setting out in the weeks following July fifteenth. It's raining, they're wearing their old wig, and yeah, it's conforming to the legend enough that they might summon the legend in their mind as they look up at the rainy sky.
Speaker 3: Right, And that could well be because at that time Britain is trapped in one of these polar troughs where the jet stream loops down under it, so they're getting a lot of northern air coming in, bringing in the you know, cool wet stuff off the sea.
Speaker 2: And you know, it's one of those things where I mean not to analyze it too deeply, because I think in many cases we're probably dealing with a very casual association with a legend like that. But still little things like that can make it seem like there's something or somebody in control, like there is some level of control in a life and in a world that that seems chaotic at times and can be quite scary in its unpredictable nature. But if you can sort of even just casually think, oh, it's just like that legend, then then it feels like there's some there's some bumpers on the lane, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, totally. So this RMS post they end with a revised version of the Swithin poem that's even clunkier. Not even trying really to scan at this point, but this is what they come up with. They say, Saint Swithin's day, if thou dost rain for forty days relatively unsettled, there's a fair chance it will remain. That sounds almost kind of Yoda issue. And then Saint Swithin's Day, if that'll be fair for forty days, a northerly jetstream might result in some fairly decent spells, but then again it might not.
Speaker 2: You know who could have made this work Rocky ericson Oh my God.
Speaker 3: Yes, he could cram so many words into a line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like yeah, yeah, you think of the lyrics to if you have ghosts that. Yeah, this could totally work within the context of.
Speaker 3: That objects move without wind blowing from the newspaper to the door.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, well that's all I've got on Swithin, Saint Swithin's Day and the weather.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And you know, to bring it back to Rocky Erickson, if definitely check out his music if you were at all interested in anything we've said about him. The thing is you've probably heard his music before and you just hadn't realized it. I was watching The Weindnsday Show about Wednsday Adams on Netflix with the family recently, and in season two there's an episode where they drop Rocky Erics Since I walked with the Zombie's that's it's a pretty well known track of his. Even if you're not aware of Rocky ericson like that, one's been used in a number of things, and like a number of his songs, he's kind of a I think he's one of those artists that is often kind of a musician's musician, you know. So his his songs have been covered a lot by folks that were inspired by his music.
Speaker 3: I say his best known song is probably the one he did with the thirteenth thirteenth Floor Elevators. So the first track off their first album called You're going to Miss Me. A lot of people have heard that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's a that's a really good one, and I think it was that the Tit also the title of the documentary about him.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, solid track, but not as I mean, not as rockin and not and certainly not horror team like the later many of the later songs were.
Speaker 3: I'm tempted to talk about May ninth, nineteen seventy six, when I looked up and nothing significant happened that day.
Speaker 2: We're going to go and close it out here, but we just like to remind everyone that's stuff to blow your mind is primarily a science and culture podcast with core episodes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. On Wednesdays, we do a short form episode and on Fridays we set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird film on Weird House Cinema. Wherever you get the podcast, where we just asked that you subscribe, rate, and review. We don't always really hammer this home, but these are things that really help us out. Make sure you've subscribed, rate, and review the show. It helps ensure that we continue to put these episodes out for your listening pleasure.
Speaker 3: Huge thanks as always to our excellent audio producer JJ Posway. If you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any other, to suggest a topic for the future, or just to say hello, you can email us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you're listening to your favorite shows.