Speaker 1: Oh yes, mister Rodgers new neighborhood friend. Rodgers was from out there in Pittsburgh. So here's Aaron Rodgers now joining the area as a remember of the Pittsburgh Steelers. We continue to dissect the fallout of Rogers finally deciding to be a Steeler. We've got some make or break candidates in twenty twenty five. Our guy Nick Schuck gonna be with us live. You want to tune in when Nick Shuck is live, that is coming up to talk about these maker breakers for twenty twenty five. Man Adam Rank. You know it's a Friday at the Insiders when Adam Rank is joining us to preview the twenty twenty five Fantasy season. He's got some buyer bewares. Yeah, Terry McLaurin, little contract issue right now? Is that why? Rank says? Beware find out later in the show. Welcome Inside with the Insiders, Judy Matiza, Ian Rappaport joining me, Mike Garrafolo. We have got a full house of folks. We got Cam Wolf, we got Steve Weisch, we got Rank, we got Jeff Chedea, we got Shook, we got everybody I just mentioned there? Did I say Cam Wolf. He's joining us very shortly here on the program.
Speaker 2: We're in June.
Speaker 1: It's a Friday, but we still have plenty to talk about, including what happened on Thursday, as first reported by The Insiders, Aaron Rodgers deciding, okay, all right, look, I get it right. Didn't work out with the Jets, But here you've got the New York Post basically saying that he is Pittsburgh's problem. Now that's not the way the Steelers see it. They see him as more of a solution than a problem. But they're going to get the full gamut here.
Speaker 3: Ian.
Speaker 1: You were not with us last night, so curious to hear your thoughts on Aaron Rodgers signing with the Steelers from a financial perspective and every other perspective that you can provide for us.
Speaker 4: First of all, has not officially signed. He still has to take the physical. That's going to happen in the next couple days. I would say, going to be in Pittsburgh for mandatory Minikevin And reality is, this was the timeline that the Steelers were anticipating. This is the timeline that those who know Rogers thinking were anticipating show up. Be it mandatory minicamp, take a physical sign.
Speaker 3: Maybe me with reporters.
Speaker 4: Certainly meet your new teammates, thirty a couple people, goodbye, go home for the summer.
Speaker 3: That ends up to be exactly what happened. As far as the.
Speaker 4: Financial still have no firm word on what the actual contract is. Rogers said on Pat McAfee show that he would play for.
Speaker 3: Ten million dollars.
Speaker 4: I actually expect the base to be somewhere around there, with some incentive to get a little higher year, probably looking at I don't know, maybe twenty million dollars or less.
Speaker 3: That's just sort of a ballpark figure.
Speaker 4: And really, Judy, what this kind of does is put Aaron Rodgers in the same category as Tom Brady, same category as Peyton Manning, same category as John Elway. Older veteran quarterbacks taking not very big deals.
Speaker 3: Sometimes they've taken pay cuts. For Rodgers.
Speaker 4: Obviously, this is a new deal with the Steelers, but a really really below market deal with a team that has been beefed.
Speaker 3: Up around him.
Speaker 4: Plenty of high money players now, a high money receiver in Dk metcalf. A team that is locked and loaded just needed a veteran to get them where they are dying to go.
Speaker 3: That is a Rogers hope happens with the Steelers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Rodgers on the pat back if the show said that he was willing to play Judy, He's willing to play for ten ms, ten million dollars. I was willing to play as well, but they decided to go with Rogers instead. But there is still work to be done in Pittsburgh. You know the team extremely well. You know the Jets extremely well too, so you've seen both sides of this as they come together here in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 5: Well, first of all, his appearance there for mandatory Mini Camp is actually earlier than he was there for the Jets last year. Remember he missed mandatory Mini camp last year for the trip to Egypt, which Robert Soloch didn't like so much. Everybody remembers that. So this is actually pretty good for Aaron Rodgers appearing in Pittsburgh. I'm not quite sure that this team is a fully finished product in the way that maybe some of those other teams that you mentioned Ian were.
Speaker 6: They do have DK.
Speaker 5: Metcalf and that was the big off season move before Aaron Rodgers, but the wide receiver room after that is sort of you know, neither here nor there. They've got Calvin Austen, they've got Pat Fryronmooth that tight end, but you wonder if they're now going to go out there and try to get another veteran wide receiver. The offensive line is good, there's some question about the tackles, and that of course is very very important. We saw that especially last year with the Jets, when he got a little skittish, not surprisingly because the offensive line was not holding up. He was getting hit and so he would get rid of the ball very quickly, which did not allow those big downfield plays to develop. That's what DK Metcalf is so good at.
Speaker 6: They do have a really.
Speaker 5: Good defense, and they are counting on rookie running back Caleb Johnson to inject more into that running game, which of course is important for any quarterback, but particular a post forty year old quarterback.
Speaker 1: Jet Steelers Week one NFLVP Mike North said that if they knew for sure that Aaron Rodgers was going to be a Steeler at the time that they made the schedule, they would have put that game in primetime. But we'll see it at one o'clock. We'll see his game against the Packers. If he stays healthy and he's still the quarterback of the Steelers. On October twenty sixth, that game will be in primetime. Meanwhile, elsewhere in the AFC North, the Ravens going about their business, not too worried about who the quarterback is on one of their rivals, although John Harball was asked about that. Lamar Jackson is set to make a lot more money than Aaron Rodgers this upcoming season, possibly even more. Ian Eric da Costa speaking on the radio in Baltimore this week, talking about where they stand with those contract negotiations. Early in the process, you might be saying, like, didn't we just do this a couple of years ago. Yeah, Well, the market's taken off, and sometimes you want to extend your quarterback before you get to the end of it. So where do the Ravens and Lamar Jackson stand right now?
Speaker 3: The quarterback market has taken off.
Speaker 4: Lamar Jackson now the tenth I believe highest paid quarterback in the NFL, which is considering where Lamar Jackson is, which is an MVP candidate every single season, he should be higher.
Speaker 3: But that's not all.
Speaker 4: This also was worked into his contract originally a really high cap number got to be some way to make it.
Speaker 3: Easier on the team early on.
Speaker 4: The way to do it is to create a big cap number kind of midway through and then you know, you have to.
Speaker 3: Redo the deal. That is where they are.
Speaker 4: So if they are able to redo Lamar Jackson, they would gain some cap space. There's some other deals they could potentially doping that matter is a likely. Maybe he gets a new deal that would be another one. Rashad Babeman got one. I believe that was two days ago, where yesterday, I don't know, it seems like a million years ago.
Speaker 3: Yes, for now, But Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 4: Really the biggest question is is he going to be the highest paid quarterback in the NFL like he probably should be. If he is, it means over sixty million dollars that Dak Prescott got And when John Harbo was asked, but at the league meetings, he kind of acknowledged, like, yeah, that's probably where this ends up. So that's really the factor to watch for the Ravens and for Lamar.
Speaker 5: You know, the fact that we're talking about Lamar's potential next contract tells you how very little drama there has been around the Ravens This offseason, and because there's been so much other news in the other teams in the division, I feel like they've flown a little bit under the radar. Let's not make the mistake here. This is still the class of the AFC North. They won the division by two games last season. They're loaded, they were a top three offense, they were a top ten defense.
Speaker 6: They added DeAndre.
Speaker 5: Hopkins, they still have Derrick Henry. They drafted what should be instant impact players on defense. So this team hasn't made much news. There haven't been many ripples. But while the other teams in the division have a quarterback competition, in Cleveland, you've got the Aaron Rodgers situation with the Steelers. The Bengals have some contract situations still to take care of on their defense, in particular, the Ravens just keep rolling along. Aaron Rodgers may close the gap, the presence of Aaron Rodgers may close the gap, but the Steelers finished two games behind the Ravens, and the Ravens are not coming back.
Speaker 6: To the pack.
Speaker 1: Lamar Jackson over the next three years forty three point five million, fifty two million, and fifty two million again over the last three years of the deal. So Lamar, keep clipping those coupons, you know, use some gift cards, some promo codes.
Speaker 3: We'll get you.
Speaker 2: Sure, Sure, we'll get you there.
Speaker 1: Lamar, we promise. Elsewhere in the AFC North, I'm using that transition again because we're going to our third team, the Cleveland Browns mandatory mini camp underway in the four way quarterback competition Joe Flacco, Kenny Picket, Dylan Gabriel, and Shador Sanders. That is going to carry through training camp and into the preseason. Cam Wolfe now coming in and joining us to shed some light on how that quarterback competition is going. Right now, what is the fans do you want to see from these guys in minicamp?
Speaker 7: Yeah, right now, they just want to see how they handle their selective reps. They're splitting it four different ways. Some days it's Joe Flacco Canny Pickett dominating all the reps, and some days the rookies dealing. Gabriel and Shaduur Sanders get more reps and look, I can't wait to see next week how they divvy these up. From what I understand, it's been Flacco and Picket primarily with the first team, and then Shador Sanders has mostly been doing the fourth team reps now he's been doing well from those reps. Talk to a couple of people in that building that said he's been accurate. He's been really locked in the meeting rooms and really showing the professionalism that people questioned about him in the draft process.
Speaker 2: But many camp is a different level. You get Miles Garrett coming back in town.
Speaker 7: He's aspected back the building after missing most of OTAs, and a lot of people there are eager to see how shud Or Sanders handles the pressure of real elite pass rush, so that's going to be another thing that ramps up for them. Joe Flacco, course is the guy who had spent that time with Stefanski and twenty twenty three going four to one, and from people I talk to there, if you handicapped it in June, maybe Flacco would be the favorite, especially given they have a tough schedule out of the gate. But all four guys have a chance to win this starting job, and we're going to be tracking it through June and training camp to see how the rookies and the Vets compete.
Speaker 1: All four guys got to have a chance. You just don't imagine that they're going to carry four on the rosters. So this is a battle for not only the starting quarterback job, but also a job period. You could potentially put one on the practice squad, but that's also going to be an interesting part as this one plays out. Let's move on to the Buffalo Bills. They have their mini camp next week. What should we be paying attention to there in Buffalo? Should it be? Let's say James Cook? Hard to pay attention to. Guy's not there though, Yeah, Mike, that's first thing?
Speaker 7: Is there a star running back? James Cook going to show up? He hasn't been there for OTAs. He wants a big money contract. He's coming off another excellent year. He had over a thousand yards eighteen touchdowns, and he wants to get paid. I spent a day with James Cook on a fishing boat earlier this offseason, and he told me his word of the off.
Speaker 2: Season is patients.
Speaker 7: He's going to be patient and get what he and his team feels like they deserve. And this is going to be a mark of mini camp to see where they are as far as his comfort with the team. He could be fined up over one hundred thousand dollars if he doesn't show up for all three days in mini camp, But the Bills also expect him to be there. So I haven't got final word on it if will show up or not, but that's certainly going to be the eyeballs there. He noticed when Derrick Henry got that two year, thirty million dollar extension, and so there's definitely an expectation that he would get paid. I know the Bills general manager Brandon Bean vocalized that right now they're moving forward as if they're not paying him as of now, and so we're at a little bit of a stale ma and we'll see how James Cook and his team responds and all the other side of the ball. I'd love to see how their rookies they draft a lot of defensive rookies earlier, play out there on the field on the defensive side and get that pass rush and pass defense right cam.
Speaker 1: He can notice Derek Henry's deal at si kuon Barkley's deal all he wants. Yeah, the Bills are noticing the stat line that doesn't compare and the fact that the offense runs around those guys not so much in Buffalo, which is not to say that he's not an integral piece of it, but they're not going to pay him that way like those other teams paid him. So somebody's got to buckle here and to get to some kind of agreement at some point. Camera Wolf appreciate Japal have a wonderful, wonderful weekend. The Giants hit the weekend after their OTAs this week they've got mandatory minichamp a little later June seventeenth. In the meantime, this is a bit of a quarterback competition here. Russell Wilson the expected starter, but Jamis Winston and rookie Jackson Dart trying to push for time.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Jackson's been great man. He's a great worker, great teammate. Were having fun all us. We have a really good quarterback room. Guys are so focused and you know, working diligently every day. You know he's going to be extremely extremely good talent, you know, and everything else. You know throughout his career.
Speaker 9: Does it change anything for you, you know, having a first round pick in the room with you.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't change anying at all.
Speaker 8: I think the biggest thing is for me is just being my best every day, leading you know, just I always think about, you know, just leading everybody. You know, just leading every room, every moment, every time I gets step on the white lines, and the opportunity of that.
Speaker 1: Russell Wilson's saying this week, he's only missed one practice in his entire career for a funeral. Other than that, he's on the field practicing every day. You can say a lot of things about Russell Wilson, you can't say that he's not out there working on his craft. Ian Rappaport, your assessment of where the Giants are in their quarterback situation right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, with all due respect to Russell Wilson, it has to change things having Jackson Dard in the room, not that Jackson Dart's going to come in and start week one. I don't think anybody wants Jackson Dart to come in and start week one. Even if he comes in training camp, sit up is the best quarterback.
Speaker 3: They've ever seen.
Speaker 4: It still makes sense to have a quarterback wait and learn, and it is really fine. The thing that it really does change duty for Russell Wilson is he no longer has a safety net if it goes really poorly.
Speaker 3: The first three or four or five games.
Speaker 4: You know what everyone's going to be saying, you know what talk radio is going to be like, you know what all the newspapers are going to read.
Speaker 3: It is going to be different.
Speaker 4: It ramps up the intensity, no doubt, no doubt, and really says for Russell Wilson, he has to start fast to keep everything listen.
Speaker 5: This is going to be a test of the Giant's patience because they want Jackson Dart to be able to sit on the bench and learn. But the schedule is extremely difficult, especially the first eight games of the season. So even if Russell Wilson isn't playing particularly poorly, they could still be losing games. And then they are going to face the decision do they put Jackson Dart on the field? Is he ready or are they rushing him too much? Are they comfortable with him behind that offensive line which which is okay but not great. Big decisions ahead for the New York Giants, and of course there could be jobs on the.
Speaker 6: Line at the end of the season.
Speaker 5: Going to be a pressure filled decision campaign for the Giants.
Speaker 4: Man, there is nothing better this time of year than slow mo video passes flying through the air. That one from Sam Darnold now the Seahawks starting quarterback. That's gonna take a little bit of getting used to the Seahawks starting quarterback making it look real pretty in May in Seattle. I assume that wasn't right now, But anyway, they.
Speaker 3: Wrapped up OTAs this week.
Speaker 4: They got mandatory mini camp June seventeenth, So let's take a little more into that if we can welcome inside with the Insiders. Nick Shook from NFL Network I think has a great article on NFL dot com examining the make or break candidates for the twenty twenty five season. Nick, thank you for joining us. Let's start right there. Tell me about Sam Donald.
Speaker 10: Now, we don't need to rehash ian what Sam did in Minnesota last year.
Speaker 2: We know he had a career year, but.
Speaker 10: He still has set up for a make or break season because of the change that was required to get him to Seattle. The Seahawks got rid of Gina Smith. They sent him to Las Vegas. They then signed Sam Darnold with the idea that we're going to change in philosophy. New offensive coordiator Clint Kubiak prefers a guy who can operate more with his back to the line of scrimmage a play action style, and that fits Sam Donald's strengths. But it was a calculated risk because there's no telling that Sam Donald's just going to do this every year. Yes, he had a great year, but there's no evidence too that he's just going to sustain this. Now, they can cut him and after June first next year and save twenty seven point five million of his cap number, which would be an easy way out. They also drafted Jaln Milroe. So the conclusion is Sam Donald needs to produce immediately in order to retain his job beyond twenty twenty five, and he's not the only quarterback who needs to produce immediately. We know Anthony Richardson was coming into a pivotal season in twenty twenty five. We also know two truths about him. He's an incredibly gifted athlete with a sky high potential, but he's lacked consistency and it's frustrated the Colts so much that they benched him for Joe Flacco last season. Eventually went back to Richardson, but now things get a little uncertain. They didn't believe in him enough not to avoid going after another quarterback. They went and signed Daniel Jones this offseason, they set up a camp competition and to make things worse, Richardson has a shoulder issue that he's dealing with. He's gonna miss mini camp. He'll come back at some point in training camp. So just when he was getting going, suddenly there's a little bit of uncertainty. And if they're going to invest in him beyond this year and beyond the fourth overall pick they spent on him, he's gonna have to produce right now.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is an ac joint injury, I would say somewhat similar to the one he kind of had in the past, same shoulder then seemed to be that serious. No surgery requires just rest and rihab. But you're right, not at all what you want this time of year or at any point in the year. You know, another play we've talked at times about his Travis Etm from the Jacksonville Jaguars, has looked like a breakout candidate couple different times. Has also seemed to be a trade can that they've made clear they do not want to trade him. So tell me about Travis Eten and what is at stake for him this season.
Speaker 10: Yeah, the Jaguarson come out and say that they're not going to trade him, that he's a big part of their plans, but the production doesn't match with that.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 10: He had back to back thousand yard seasons in twenty twenty two and twenty twenty three. He looked like the weapon they needed, but the production diminished significantly last season, so much that Tank Bigsby ended up looking like the better back of the two throughout that season, which was obviously filled with struggles all across the board. But entering the draft this past draft, a lot of people thought they might take Ashton Genty at number five.
Speaker 2: They didn't.
Speaker 10: They traded up and took Travis Hunter instead. But the rumors keep swirling so much that coach Liam Cohen had to come out and say those are inaccurate. That we love him, we believe in him, and he's been very consistent, So do we believe in him? Will find out Another player that needs belief from everybody because he's definitely not inspired over the last few seasons is Kyle Pitts.
Speaker 2: The tight end in Atlanta.
Speaker 10: He was an incredibly athletic representation of what the future of the tight end position could be when he came out of Florida. He had a thousand yard season as a rookie. But fantasy owners know the Pitts paradox all too well. Over the last three seasons, one hundred and twenty eight catches, roughly sixteen hundred yards and nine receiving touchdowns. That's not good enough to justify the first round pick they spent on him. You give him a bit of a break because they've had a revolving door at quarterback. Maybe it's settled down with Michael Pennix now taking over, but he's in the final year of his rookie deal.
Speaker 2: So if he's going to cash in.
Speaker 10: In the offseason, or if he's going to give them a reason to keep him around beyond twenty twenty five, he's got to do it now, and he's got to do it with Pennix.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this really does seem to be a fantasy owner debate as much as anything else. So hard to get production out of the tight end position, and then Pitts is you know, he's got so much talent, just hasn't quite delivered something no doubt to watch this season. Nick, Thank you very much for joining us on the Insiders. For sure, we appreciate it. Check out Nick's article NFL dot Com slash Show.
Speaker 6: All Right, mandatory mini camps really getting going.
Speaker 5: Next week, the LA Chargers will be on the field. That guy will be on the field. That is Ladd McConkie entering his second season after a really impressive rookie season. Let's welcome in our Jeffrey Chidia to talk more about the Chargers and other things.
Speaker 6: Jeffrey, at this time.
Speaker 5: Last year, we had no idea the kind of impact that Ladd McConkey was going to have on the Chargers and the NFL. What are the expectations going into year two?
Speaker 2: Well, they are high, Judy.
Speaker 12: You know, they didn't take a receiver in the first round this draft. That took Trey Harris in the second round, so they have eye holds for him and brought in Mike Williams. But yeah, this passing game really is going to revolve around Lad mccackey taking that next step. And he was great as a rookie with eighty two catches eleven hundred yards. They talked this week about the importance of taking care of his body, like he touched a lot of shots.
Speaker 2: Not the biggest guy in the world.
Speaker 12: He's been watching tapes of guys like Julian Edelman to see how to get down and avoid some of those big hits guys landing on him. But he realizes he's going to be a leader now, and he tried to learn some things from Mike Williams. He's also tried to amp up the leadership in the receiving room. His coaches have talked about how he's tried to take some of those younger receivers under his wing and help them grow for an office that really needs the passing game to take off this year.
Speaker 5: All right, let's switch to the Denver Broncos in the same division of You know, we're only two seasons removed from Evan Ingram's one hundred and fourteen reception season with the Jaguars and Trevor Lawrence.
Speaker 6: It feels a little bit longer than that.
Speaker 5: Now he is in Denver with Sean Payton, who really likes to have a joker on his offense. What kind of role are we looking for for Evan Ingram? How can he elevate that offense?
Speaker 12: Well, that joker roll is exactly where he thinks he's going to fit in with the Denver Broncos, and he said that was a big pitch from the Broncos when they called him up as a free agent, the first team actually to call him and bring him in. So that meant a lot to him as far as building a relationship and committing to them.
Speaker 11: And you're right.
Speaker 12: He had a tough season last season in Jacksonville, only forty seven catches and only played in nine games with a He had a hamstring injury and a labor and tear that ended this season. But he's still caught forty seven passes, which is you look at what the Broncos did with four different tight ends last year. Those four guys totaled fifty.
Speaker 2: One receptions overall.
Speaker 12: So he's still going to be a big part of uplifting this offense. And he knows that he's going to have opportunities with Sean Payton and Bownicks and all those guys counting on him to make big plays.
Speaker 5: Can't wait to see what he does. Jeffrey, thank you, enjoy the weekend.
Speaker 1: In case you missed it, Sakuon Barkley on the cover of Madden twenty six leaping over a defender had some help from the Ropes on this one just so he didn't have to leap over guys repeatedly while they were taking pictures and potentially hurt himself.
Speaker 6: But you get the point.
Speaker 1: It is recreating his leap during that Jacksonville game last year. He's on the cover. Does he believe in the curse? I mean probably not right.
Speaker 2: No, I'm believer in God.
Speaker 13: That's my mindset to be good Klans And I've had injuries before. I tore my knee, I've stepped on a foot and rolled my ankle. Was out for four to six weeks and there was no curse then.
Speaker 2: And that's just how life works.
Speaker 11: You're going to have your ups and downs.
Speaker 13: But my mindset is coming in work, do what I need to do, and the rest is in God's hands.
Speaker 1: I'm a believer in that awesome hat from the nineties. Hey, what is Adam Rank having common with Saquon Barkley? Both have been on The Insiders this week. That was during our interview a couple of days ago. So this segment's going to be fantasy buyer beware? Is it buyer beware for Saquon? And if so, is it because of the cover? Is there any other reason?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 9: Yeah, Christian McCaffrey was saying the same thing last year, like, no, I'm not worried about the curse. I'll be fine. Did he even play a game? I don't remember it was that. I will tell you this though, if you want to be afraid of taking somebody like Saquon Barkley because he's on the cover of Madden, then like, be my guest. Don't let me talk you out of it. But there are other statistical reasons to avoid somebody like Saquon Barkley this season. I think number one is the fact that nobody has finished as the RB one in back to back years since Gurley in twenty eighteen twenty seventeen, Like, it is very difficult for these guys to maintain that high level of success. Now, it's not to say that I'm going to avoid him altogether. If I'm in the middle of the first round in Saquon Barkley falls to me, I will definitely fire in on him. I'm not going to look at the Madden curse or anything like that. It doesn't bother me. I'm just looking at the statistical anomaly of guys going back to back, and I would rather be on an ascending player like Bjean Robinson, I think that's going to be the guy who ends up being the running back one this season. Estian Genty is somebody that I'm also thinking about in this space as well.
Speaker 11: I don't know.
Speaker 9: You'll have to ask me in August when I fully make my decision. But I'm not afraid of Saquon Barkley because of the cover one guy.
Speaker 2: Another guy that I am a little weary of.
Speaker 9: Is Devon ah Chain, and he was great a couple of years ago, but if you look at this last season, he ran the ball over two hundred times and his efficiency went way down. During his rookie year, he was averaging cl to what eight yards per carries.
Speaker 11: Something like that.
Speaker 9: It was significantly lower last year when they gave him a ton of carries. So I believe going into this season they are going to limit his carries and he's not going to get as many rushing yards, might not get as many opportunities near the goal line to run the ball. But if you play in a full on PPR league, which some of you do, and I understand that I typically play in half point PPR, but in full point PPR the other eight Chain's a little bit better. But overall, again, some of those guys that I mentioned before, I will be looking at them more so than Devon in the first round.
Speaker 4: You know, rank, we try to give our viewers a little bit more here compared to I don't know, maybe other shows. They tune in, they expect the inside info so they can give you a small bit of it.
Speaker 3: It's a chanchin, not h chin. The producer. Listen, that is the proper pronunciation.
Speaker 2: That's what I said, a chan Listen.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 9: The producer was in my ear yelling at me, yelling at me.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry I made that mistake. Listen. Some of us are good teammates. We would never throw a producer under the bus.
Speaker 2: I want people, are you I'm a bad team.
Speaker 3: Let's go through some wide receivers.
Speaker 4: Let's talk me through where we're out in the wide receiver position, including Mike Evans.
Speaker 11: And Terry McCloy.
Speaker 2: Well, I do like Mike Evans as a person.
Speaker 3: Is a good teammate.
Speaker 9: Mike Evans certainly is, but when it comes to the fantasy production, I'm gonna steer clear of him when you look at the tier in which he is based. Now, obviously Tampa Bay has been bringing in a lot of younger talent there at the wide receiver position. They got Jayleen McMillan a year ago, they brought in double le this season, which means that at some point they're gonna be moving on. And when you look at the tier and for me, Mike Evans is like a Tier three person and he's in there with Jackson.
Speaker 2: Smith and Jigba.
Speaker 3: I would rather have him.
Speaker 9: I'd rather have Lad McConkie T Higgins, Garrett Wilson. I really do believe that Garrett Wilson's gonna have a huge season this year with Justin Fields, even DeVante Adams. People are going to be sleeping on DeVante Adams this season because he's playing opposite of Pouka Nakua. But I really love those players. So Mike Evans is a low end Tier three person for me, And again, if I get him at the right value, I'm I'm not gonna be completely adverse Kary McLaurin, though with his contract situation, everything that happened last year for the Commanders was amazing, and anybody who had Terry McLaurin, myself included, you enjoyed the benefit of eighty receptions he had thirteen touchdown receptions. The regression is he's gonna come back to the mean a little bit. I don't think that he reaches those numbers. Again, they also bring in Deebo Samuel this year. There should be a little bit of regression. So again, when you're comparing him to other guys in his tier, I would favor somebody else, like perhaps DJ Moore because we want to continue that rivalry between Jade and Daniels and Caleb Williams. But given the price that you're gonna be paying for Terry mclaur and, I would look at some other options. And again, Garrett Wilson is a guy that I feel is far too often slept on in that third tier. And those are some of the guys I'm looking for moving forward into our summer drafts.
Speaker 1: It's Micklelan Mickllan.
Speaker 3: That's how the producer was outside.
Speaker 1: The producer doesn't speak French. Adam Runk, everybody Adam outside of Paris buyer, beware of Adam Runk and Travis Hunter and the Jacksonville Jaguars. We are we're talking them up shortly what we're expecting to see from them and some other teams as Rookie Minicamp approaches six. Here's the list of the twenty twenty five Black College Hall of Fame. Black College Football Hall of Fame nomine is your class of twenty twenty five, including a couple of guys who are patrolling NFL secondaries recently. Rashane mathis right there and Dominique Rogers Cramarti DRC. Yeah he joined RSW. That's Steve Weis to talk about the Enstroyment.
Speaker 2: All right, Dominique?
Speaker 14: First off, man, I love how you were just swagged out, got the HBCU add on the legacy ball.
Speaker 10: You know, you know.
Speaker 14: I'm a Howard University graduate HBCU product, So I love the way you're representing.
Speaker 2: But let's kick this off as to why we're here.
Speaker 14: On Saturday evening in Atlanta, I will be introducing you and welcoming you into the Black College Football Hall of Fame. How does it feel going into a shrine which recognized these great players from HBCUs, Guys like Deacon Jones and Jerry Rice, two tall Jones guys like that.
Speaker 11: Man, It's an honor and a blessing.
Speaker 12: Man.
Speaker 15: I remember coming into Cottage Man my freshman year and them showing us a video of all the breaks that passed before us, not just from Tennessee State, but from Brambler and Jackson State, Alabama and them all.
Speaker 11: Kind of legacy.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 15: I always thought to myself, one day, I want to be one of those guys. Man, and it's time to unfold.
Speaker 14: And one of the great things about this Hall of Fame is you recognize the great things guys did at their HBCUs. You were great at Tennessee State, eleven interceptions, guys couldn't get anything on you. But also in the NFL, you're one of the last players from historically black college you get drafted in the first round from you know, and so what about you know, cementing your legacy in that regard, But also the guys who come behind you really have not been able to get recognized the way you did.
Speaker 11: Man.
Speaker 15: I'm glad I did get a chance to go to the Senior Bowl and the combine. That kind of helped me because coming from an HBCU, we don't get that much recognition because we don't play the top end schools in the talents week in and week out, so we kind.
Speaker 11: Of slept on.
Speaker 15: But we have the potential to be first round as we just need a chance. And I had the opportunity to chance. Man, I just took advantage of it.
Speaker 11: Man.
Speaker 15: So I tell the guys that come from behind me and always ask me the question. Man, I just say, Man, I just kept working to opportunity really presented itself.
Speaker 14: And you talked about how you took advantage of the Senior Bowl. You were the defensive MVP at the Senior Bowl. You to the combine, ran that four two nine. Okay, let's go back and look at the film. What about guys making sure they take advantage of every opportunity. You're wearing a Legacy Bowl advantage, which is kind of like the Senior Bowl for HBCUs of guys doing everything they can to enhance their stature.
Speaker 11: You got to do that, man.
Speaker 15: If they invite you somewhere, how you come out, Man, I believe in you got to work out, man, just showcase. The time is whenever you get that chance. So take advantage of everything. And that's why I'm always going back like you see me on Tennessee State campus a lot, man, because I try to get back and get the guys the resources that they need and just to be around so they can see me in Maybe one of them be like, Man, if he did it, I could do it.
Speaker 11: So I'm always around.
Speaker 15: I love, I love I love what the HBCU legacy is doing for them, guys.
Speaker 2: Okay, and you know one thing I want I want to really hit hit on you with.
Speaker 14: Here we see Michael Vick now coaching at Norfolk State, Sean Jackson coaching at Delaware State. Former NFL players who didn't really have any association with hbc he used, going to coach at these programs. What are your thoughts on that, especially since Eddie George just took Tennessee State to the Ohio Valley Conference championship.
Speaker 2: Left for Bowling Green but there.
Speaker 11: Right, Yeah, but he said a light on us.
Speaker 15: Man, that's awesome that those guys doing that, because now you got a coach that been there none at all.
Speaker 11: So now they're gonna understand the grind of the ABCUS go through.
Speaker 15: Man. I think they gonna really help guys get there, and you can get more guys to come there who don't want to play for Michael Vick or the sign Jackson or Eddie George. Man, so now you're not competing with the big schools. You got guys that keep coming back. So I hope more guys come back and coach Man because we really need that because not only it's gonna shed light, it's gonna get guys opportunity and now they could get some more talent there.
Speaker 14: I want to bring some things kind of full circle for you. We saw big news happen. You know in Pittsburgh. This Aaron Rodgers is gonna go play quarterback for them. But you you got your hands on at least one of those passes from Aaron Rodgers. Walk us through that a little bit. It tells you to think about him going to pitch.
Speaker 15: I'll never forget it was the second round, I mean the first round playoffs in Arizona. It was a shootout between us, the Arizona Cardinals and the Green Bay Package Man. And I picked him off that first series man, and I still got that ball. I'm always chairs of that ball because God always asked me who was the hardest quarterback, and I always say Anon Roger because he throws his receivers open when the receiver have a step on you. You kind of have with the speed that I have. You got to call Mike up speed he's not getting you a chance to make up. So I always tell people there's certain quarterbacks I just can't play with, and he's one of them.
Speaker 2: I love hearing that.
Speaker 14: And real quick, you're going into the hall with one of your contemporaries to Rashen mathis a dB.
Speaker 2: What about going in with him?
Speaker 11: Man? See, people don't understand the stuff that he did for HBC.
Speaker 15: Man, I mean, he didn't go first round, but he should have been man all the picks he had throughout his career and just shutting people down.
Speaker 12: Man.
Speaker 11: Like, when you come from an HBC, you.
Speaker 15: Know the guys that went before you, and he was one of the guys I looked up to, and they kind of said I was like him, tall, skinny, small, frail guy that could come out of breaks and get his hands on the ball, the ball hawk. So he was definitely somebody I looked up to. So to be going in with him, it is kind of an honor.
Speaker 14: All right, DRC, I will see you in Atlanta Saturday at the College Football Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: Congratulations on everything.
Speaker 11: I appreciate it. The man, See you soon.
Speaker 1: Caleb Williams has had an eventful a couple of weeks but he put to bed the notion that he didn't want to be a Chicago Bear, a nugget that came out in ESPN six Seth Wickershan's upcoming book, and Williams said, no, no, maybe at some point like the thought, but once I came in and visited, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Wanted to be a Bear.
Speaker 1: Well on, he goes to twenty twenty five as he Adam Rank and Judy Batista goes and tries to dispel the notion that that's where quarterbacks go to die, which is sort of came from his side anyway, So good luck to spelling what you helped to set up there. Judy, you've got an article on teams that have to nix negative narratives. We're going to start with the Bears and that notion.
Speaker 5: Well, as Rank will testify, this was not a narrative that began with Caleb Williams and his family.
Speaker 6: This is a long standing narrative for the Chicago Bears.
Speaker 5: But the Bears this offseason have done just about everything they can to set themselves up to finally dispel this for Caleb Williams. They first of all changed the coaching staff and hired Ben Johnson.
Speaker 6: They remade the.
Speaker 5: Offensive line, which was a huge issue last year. Remember he was sacked like sixty eight times last season. So they did a lot of work on the offensive line, They drafted offensive weapons form, and just generally they put Caleb Williams at the center of the Bears universe, which is where he should be all along. Certainly, everything is going to come down to if he vibes with Ben Johnson.
Speaker 6: And the play calling is good and all of.
Speaker 5: Those weapons come together and they get the running game going. But this is a team that has finally put Caleb Williams at the center of its plans, hoping finally to dispel that myth.
Speaker 9: Jerdy, let me tell you the three best Bears quarterbacks in my lifetime. It goes Jim Man, Jay Cutler, and Walter Payton on the halfback option.
Speaker 2: And that's the list.
Speaker 9: Sorry, my friend Eric Kramer always gets upset when I say that, But it's been a long time and the Bears, it feels like they have their quarterback even with everything that went wrong last year. Thirty five hundred yards, twenty touchdowns, pretty good. One of the things that's impressed me the most though, As the Bears have gone into minicamp or OTAs this week is There was a play the other day where Caleb Williams completed a pass to DeAndre Swift there in the flight. I've even been that play. Ben Johnson was on his case immediately stressing that he's got to get the ball out faster, got to put it in a better spot. And this attention to detail has been something that's been lacking for the Bears at the quarterback position pretty much forever. So I think that having been Johnson there and what he's been able to do throughout the course of his career leads us to believe Caleb Williams is going to break through this season.
Speaker 11: At least that's the hope.
Speaker 1: On to the Bengals, who have spent money and time and consideration their offense this offseason. Judy, what's the notion that they have to dispel? I guess it's has something to do with the.
Speaker 5: Defense, Yeah, because they have spent a whole lot of time and money on the offense and not quite as much on the defense.
Speaker 6: And the defense was a.
Speaker 5: Huge issue last year. That's what really kept them from going to the playoffs. Now they changed the coordinator. Al Golden is the defensive coordinator. But they still have this Trey Hendrickson contract situation looming over them. He did not participate in OTAs he has said that he will not play on his old contract. We will see this of course, is a mandatory mini camp coming up and we'll see what happens when.
Speaker 6: We get to training camp.
Speaker 5: They even have a contract situation with the rookie Schamar Stewart. An awful lot is going to be placed on al Golden and if we get Trey Hendrickson in there, Trey Hendrickson and Shamar Stewart to get a whole lot more production out.
Speaker 6: Of that defense.
Speaker 5: The reality for the Bengals is they don't need to have a number one defense in the league. They need just marginal improvement in that defense because the offense has been so good as long as Joe Burrow is healthy, Just a little bit of improvement in that defense and they will get to the playoffs.
Speaker 9: Yeah, all they need to do is make a couple of stops here and there, And that really lends itself to where the Bengals struggled last season was number one in the red zone. They were one of the worst teams at stopping opposing clubs in the red zone and they don't create enough turnovers. So they have to get everybody signed. They got to get Trey Hendrickson in there, get everybody signed, make some turnovers, and yes, every once in a while, stop somebody in the red zone.
Speaker 3: And this team is one of the best in the AFC.
Speaker 1: Judy to the Arizona Cardinals. I feel like we don't talk enough about the Cardinals. This is a big year for Jonathan Gannon in this regime, entering year three, having to take that next step. What do the Cardinals need to dispel?
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 5: I think they have to dispel the myth that their offense underachieved last season. And it's going to be hard to do that because if you look at the numbers when you have a healthy Kyler Murray he played seventeen games, they did underachieved.
Speaker 6: They were twelveth in points scored.
Speaker 5: Eighteenth and passing seven teenth in red zone percentage.
Speaker 6: I mean, that's good, but it's not great.
Speaker 5: It's kind of underwhelming, and I think most disappointing was that Marvin Harrison Junior, who is considered one of the best wide receiver prospects to come out in years, was not a much bigger factor in the offense. He was targeted one hundred and sixteen times, he caught sixty two passes for eight hundred and eighty five yards. He was targeted double digit times just three games of the seventeen games he played.
Speaker 6: Compare that to Malik Neighbors, who.
Speaker 5: Was dealing with far less quarterback play, much worse situation. He was targeted one hundred and seventy times, caught one hundred and nine passes for twelve hundred and four yards. So he was a much more integral part of the Giants offense than Marvin Harrison Junior was in Arizona. They got to get him much more involved in that offense this year.
Speaker 9: But I feel like one of the problem was trying to force the ball into Marvin Harrison Junior, because when you take away his targets and catches Kyler Murray's, his completion percentage was in the seventies when not targeting Marvin Harrison Junior. James Connor did really well, Trey McBride did really well despite not catching the ball in the end zone.
Speaker 2: And then there was Greg Dortch.
Speaker 9: So they got to be better targets to Marvin Harrison junior, and if they can find a way to creatively get him the ball and still make this offense efficient, the Cardinals have a really good opportunity this season to make the playoffs.
Speaker 1: NFL dot Com backslash Batista three, T's two and then one. You can get that story as well as everything else that she has written recently.
Speaker 2: Go read it all.
Speaker 1: I'm talking to you, Adam Rank, because you're done, you can just go read Judy now. Speaking of the Cardinals, earlier this week, they held their fourth annual Civics Matters Arizona Trip. The event sent approximately two hundred and seventy five Arizona high school students from across the state on an all expenses paid trip to the nation's capital. Students got to ride the Cardinals team plane to Washington, DC for a four day, three night trip. The Civics Matters Arizona program is a civic engagement initiative for students across the state. That is some fine work from the Cardinals there, folks. We are almost at the end of the spring session for the NFL, but before we break for the summer, yes, mandatory minicamp for all these teams that begin on Tuesday, much of the league is going to be in miniicamp this week. You won't see the Patriots on this list because they begin mandatory mini camp Monday. They're actually the first team to do that. So with that said, insiders come back in here. Ian, who are we most looking forward to seeing in a veteran minicamp? I keep saying Rookie. Stop saying Rookie, dude.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Rookie was like a month ago. This is actual mandatory mini camp. I'm looking forward to seeing the Cowboys, mostly because I know Dak Prescott has been taking part in ots. I know he's been doing all the agility jeels with the quarterbacks. We haven't seen him do very much since that significant hamstring injury. At the least, it'll be nice to see him on the field with his teammates.
Speaker 5: I am looking forward to seeing Aaron Rodgers and the Steelers.
Speaker 6: There is no other answer.
Speaker 3: I will be there.
Speaker 1: Tune in next week. Have a great week at everybody. Insiders out