Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the program, Dan and the Dan Nets. Dan Patrick Show, a little sleep deprived but ready to go. Everybody's here, Fritzie Seaton, Marv paul E yours truly the backroom guys as well. Congratulations to the Michigan Wolverines as they knock off Connecticut sixty nine sixty three and for entertainment purposes, Connecticut covered the six and a half first title for Michigan in basketball since nineteen eighty nine. So you get the women's champion UCLA, you get the men's champion Michigan, and you get Indiana football for the Big Ten, taking all three. All right, we'll get the phone calls coming up eight, seven to seven three DP show. Got a busy show. We'll talk to Jay Billis from the Mothership. Coming up. Dusty May, Michigan head coach, will join us in an hour from now. Reggie Miller stopping by, and the former fab fiver Jalen Rose will stop by. We'll have a pull question Play of the day, stat of the Day. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. First down were brought to you by Rectech. Our Meat Friday's got a whole lot better. You got more heat, more consistent temperature control, and you got a grill that well, it's built like a tank. It'll last for years. Rectech R E C T e Q dot com check out our starting lineup. There Nothing compares to cooking on a recktech. There were a lot of things I thought when I'm watching the game last night. First and foremost, Michigan looked like an NBA team as far as the age of those players. And there's a difference in having tall guys and big guys, so like a big guy just different, looks like a grown man as opposed to somebody who's just tall, and Michigan was front and center with that. I don't know if the background there, the shooting background that I talked about yesterday, if you haven't shot on a basket where there is depth perception, you don't know what that feeling's like. And even if you do shoot on that for a couple of games, couple of practices, it's still a little bit jolting there. But there was some bad shooting last night, certainly with the Connecticut Huskies. You know, relying on their three point shot and it wasn't there. It's amazing Connecticut State in that game. But I'm going to give credit to offensive rebounding and just sort of the grit of Connecticut because I thought Michigan was a far better team than Connecticut. But the best team doesn't always win. And there were a couple of moments where if you make a hoop, now, all of a sudden, it's down to four, but then they go back, and then they make a hoop, now, all of a sudden, it's a five point turnaround. So Connecticut was in that game and they didn't play well at all, but getting you know, Michigan dominated in the paint. Three point shooting was really bad for Connecticut, and you know it cost them in the end. Also, free throw shooting. Michigan went to the line and they made those free throws, yes, Pauline.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Michigan weirdly two for fifteen from three thirteen percent, but at the free throw line Michigan twenty five eighty nine percent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you know, hitting those free throws. They hit a couple of threes when they needed to dominating inside block shots altered shots as well, and uh, you know, Dan Hurley didn't sound devastated. I think he was really proud of what he saw. Because I've said before, much to the chagrin or dismay of Connecticut fans, I didn't think it was a great team how individual talent wise, but the sum of it was a great team. What they did, how they did when they did it. And here's Dan Hurley after the game.
Speaker 4: You know, it's hard to be upset with your team. You know, we lost the game because we missed, we missed, we didn't make enough shots.
Speaker 5: But it's hard to be upset with.
Speaker 4: Your team when they get twenty two offensive rebounds first, that team, I mean, that's just how hard we just played to hold you know, that that team to thirty eight percent from the field. But obviously, the you know, the guys picking up two fouls in the first half. Losing those three guys when we had taught had a great chance going to the locker room with the lead, you know, really put us in a bad spot. But you know, it's hard to be disappointed in your team when they fight so hard.
Speaker 2: And Connecticut kept it in a total point total that I thought they could win it because I said, if it's in the sixties. They can win it. They're not going to win it in the eighties. Give credit to Michigan. Michigan beat Connecticut at their own game, kept it in the sixties and won that game. Michigan and Connecticut combined to shoot thirty four percent from the flour. That's the second worst field goal percentage in a title game since nineteen fifty. The only game that had a lower shooting percentage was twenty eleven. Connecticut and Butler combined to shoot twenty six percent from the floor, and Connecticut played great defense throughout. If you include the title game, Connecticut is held tournament opponents below their season average for twenty nine consecutive games. That's the second longest streak in NCAA history.
Speaker 1: Stead of a day, stall of a day, start out a day.
Speaker 2: Start of a day, this is the start of the day. And this is a Michigan team that scored the second most points in a tournament run in history. The only other team was UNLV that was nineteen ninety. They scored five hundred and seventy one points. Michigan scored five forty one. But we'll talk to their head coach, Dusty meg He'll join us in an hour from now. Marvin, how you feeling today?
Speaker 6: You know what tough loss last night. But I couldn't have been more proud of those guys. They were playing against a team they Michigan was the better team. If you kinda had lost to Purdue a couple of years ago, I would have been upset because we were better than him.
Speaker 2: But last night, those guys played hard.
Speaker 6: They were within striking distance the entire time, and we didn't get embarrassed like Arizona.
Speaker 2: Dude, any tears last night?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Your wife?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, like when you lose to a better team. Yeah, my wife goes.
Speaker 6: They have Goate's and muscles, that's their nickname.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've got some older guys on that team. Hey, but Dusty may did what your He didn't do anything that anybody else couldn't have done. He took advantage of it. He took advantage of the rules here getting players overseas, players that used to not be eligible. But NI always made these players eligible that they can have professional experience. Illinois did this and by the way, Mike Malone is the new head coach at North Carolina. It was surprising. I wasn't shocked because I told you on March twenty fifth, my college basketball source gave me the usual suspects. You know who was going to get this job, Dusty May And I said, no, the athletic director is not going to let him go. I got that on a you know, through a reliable source. Okay, well, Tommy Lloyd. Then from Arizona, Yep, I think he's in play. Nat Oates at Alabama, Yes, I think he's in play. Bryce Drew, Yes, I think he's in play. And then my source, at the very end of his text message to me, he goes, here's a name for you, and nobody's going to talk about this. I think this might work out, and he said Mike Malone. So when I said that on the show, I'm going I'm going to get crushed in North Carolina if I say hey, and keep an eye on Mike Malone, who's been an NBA coach. He was a college coach back in the nineties, and I'm thinking now he's an analyst on the mothership. He was the Nuggets head coach, and here we are, Mike Malone, Michael Malone is the North Carolina head coach, and this is what's going to happen college basketball fans, Michael Malone is going to do what Illinois did and some of these other schools are doing. He's going over to the Balkans and getting some of those big boys. Keep in mind, you know Joker, he helped develop Joker and the connections with Jokich's agent to the you know, Serbia, to the Balkans. That's what's going to happen. They're coming. He's bringing those players over. And I'm just curious about now. His intensity survived eighty two games. His intensity can survive thirty thirty five games at North Carolina. But boy, that was a long haul. And I was told Billy Donovan yesterday declined the opportunity. From what I was told, Donovan wanted to wait till the end of the Chicago Bulls season. The Bulls cleared house yesterday except for Billy Donovan. But Michael Malone is North Carolina is new head coach, and I don't know if there's a proper way to build a contender now, a championship team. We'll talk to Jay Billis about that, but it certainly feels like, I mean, you know, keep in mind, Michigan didn't get these great players. You got this guy from UAB, you got this guy's a backup center at UCLA. Like they just kind of pieced it together. But this is recruiting. It's just different than recruiting in high school. Now you're recruiting and you're getting somebody who could be twenty one or twenty two years of age. You still got to make it all fit together. And this is what Dusty May did. Recruiting is no longer in my opinion. Hey, John Carrott Town Caliperry's blueprinted Kentucky is let's just get all of these great high school players. I want, you know, a proof of concept here. I've said this all season long. Give me somebody who's done this, not somebody who I think can do this. And coaches are now, look look at Connecticut Dan Hurley. He might get one McDonald's all American, but then he's gonna be piecing it together. He's gonna get guys who have played elsewhere. That seems to be the blueprint. But we'll talk to Jay Billis about that coming up, all right. He see whole question for hour one is what well this will make you happy? Didn't?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 9: Todd has a couple of fun options. This is called polls that don't quite work. Okay, Okay, so I'm gonna do my best to represent these here for Todd Okay, did Michigan win it last night?
Speaker 2: Or did Lukan Yukon lose it.
Speaker 3: Lax Sports Classic?
Speaker 2: Michigan won it.
Speaker 9: Michigan won that game for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 9: He's got another one here that says, how big of a hit did Dan Hurley's legacy take by not winning three titles in four years? Major hit or a significant hit?
Speaker 2: Zero?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Zero zero? Right, that team was not the second best team in the country, But give him credit for what he got out of that team.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: I think it adds to his legacy, it doesn't detract.
Speaker 9: We've got here putting together starting five of all transfers. Is smart or dumb? Well, I think last night answered that question as well, didn't it.
Speaker 2: I don't think it can be dumb. Yeah, point.
Speaker 3: I think what Fritzy is trying to say, based off what he's been saying for four days is is it off putting to see a team win with a bunch of transfer senior type guys.
Speaker 2: Yes, he did bring that up this morning. I go, oh, this is however, you win that that's all. It matters, like, you don't go boy asthetically, that doesn't look good. We got all these guys from all over the country, all over the world, as opposed to doing it the right way recruiting kids out of high school.
Speaker 10: I will acknowledge that you have to find that talent and recruit and all that and then piece it all together. These guys don't know each other and put it all together and then win a championships. That's impressive. But on first glance, when I saw that graphic that all five came from all over the place and weren't, you know, initially in Michigan for whatever reason, at that moment, I'm like, uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I see yeah.
Speaker 9: But if you're a new coach, we've only been there for a year or two. Let me is the idea, Todd that you're asking for. Let me stick with the guys that got the other guy fired, and once they cycle out, then I'll bring in my guys.
Speaker 7: That's fair.
Speaker 2: I just I guess you can't do that.
Speaker 10: I think I'm living in the baseball farm system world where the teams that win based on bringing up their own guys is more special than the evil empires of the Yankees and Dodgers and just trying to buy people from a different places.
Speaker 2: Well that's how I fee this kind of different than the Dodgers. I understand what you're saying. Whatever it takes to win. As long as I'm not breaking rules, and Michigan wasn't and Illinois wasn't, I'm okay with them. Timing is everything. Starbucks knowing that we're probably going to be a little sleep deprive perfect time. I said, hey, you guys want to try these new energy refreshers available today? And I said yes, And so I have my energy refresher here and it's designed to uplift you give you low power, you know when you have that down moment in the afternoon. And I've been a Starbucks fan for a long long time. Benji Chai with almond milk, you're o G I am. Yeah, they know me when I go through the drive through. But if you need that little pick me up after work or even after a sporting event, because that was a late night. Yes, it was eight fifty and it felt a whole lot earlier than nine to twenty eastern.
Speaker 3: We're a little sports tired.
Speaker 2: Today, yes, yes, but they have a you know, great refreshers with great taste. I got the let's see, I got the mango strawberry lemonade energy refresher, so I should be good to I already feel alive.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 3: So the danger when you're watching a game late night is you I'll just watch the last quarter in bed, or the last ten minutes in bed. Then you risk falling asleep with four minutes left in the National title game. You got to stay upright, You got to stay in a couch. Yeah, your kids out there got to learn. So, yes, you have to pace yourself.
Speaker 2: You take that afternoon nap and then all of a sudden you're ready to go, and then you pay the price the next day. So I'm not waiting till this afternoon to get my little lift. Here. I've got it right here, and you can order at Starbucks today. The new energy refreshers delish, as the kids would like to say.
Speaker 10: Yes, Todd, you do start doing that math once it gets to a letter. If I fall asleep right now, I'll get five hours sleep. If I fall asleep right now, I'll still get three and a half hours. And then before you know, it's like you took a forty five minute nap. Before you're starting to work there.
Speaker 2: How about we take a break and settle on a poll question phone calls each seven to seven to three. DP Show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle the TP Show once again. Michigan head coach Dustmay. Top of the hour, we'll talk to j Billis momentarily. Reggie Miller wants to brag about the UCLA Bruins. Jalen Rose wants to brag about the Michigan Wolverines. We'll let everybody play in the sandbox today. We'll take a break, just getting started. Operator Tyler sitting by. He'll take your calls. We're back after this Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app. Fox Sports Radio is taking over YouTube and you can be a part of it. Just go to YouTube and search Fox Sports Radio, hit that subscribe button and smash that notification bell and catch all the videos from your favorite shows. Two Pros and a Cup of Joe, Dan Patrick, Colin Cowherd, Stu GOTTSID Company, Live, Cavino and Rich he On Couple with Rob Parker, and Kelvin Washington, The Jason Smith Show with Mike Harman, and The Ben Maller Show. Fox Sports Radio on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Subscribe, hit that thumbs up icon and comment away. We'll get to your phone calls coming up. Settle on a poll question, Dusty May, the Michigan head coach. At the top of the hour, Reggie Miller stompspy, Jalen Rose stompspy. J Billi stomps by right now, the ESPN College Basketball analyst. Thank you Jay for joining us. If I didn't watch the game, how would you sum up what happened last night?
Speaker 11: It was a defensive battle more than anything, really physical. Neither team shot the ball really well. But Michigan, even with the Axel Lendeborg compromised with an injury, they were just too big and too strong. They dominated the pain. I haven't seen this very often, Dan, but in the first half, I can't remember the exact number, I think they scored thirty three points, and all their points were either in the paint or from the free throw line. They didn't score a bucket outside the paint till about fourteen and a half minutes to go in the game, and they just you know, their defense was excellent, their rent protection was good, their lane protection. It was a really hard fought game. It wasn't the prettiest game I've ever seen, and both teams shot the ball much better in the semifinals than they did the final. But the fact that Yukon could shoot like thirty one percent of the game and still and give up as many free throws as they did and be in foul trouble and still making a two possession game at the end was pretty impressive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I was wondering, you know, if you said the final score was what it was, I'd say, oh, Connecticut might have won. If it was going to be in the eighties, then I would say Michigan was going to win. Michigan proved that they could play in the eighties, play in the sixties and getting the point in the paint, but Connecticut was always lingering there. Offensive rebounds kind of kept him in it. And I also wondered about this after watching what Michigan did, what Illinois did, What is the blueprint now moving forward for building a championship caliber team.
Speaker 5: Well, I think it's the same as it's always been.
Speaker 11: You know, you want to get the best players you can get, and we see it in different ways. You know, when John Calipari was at Kentucky and Duke has been doing this, they get great young talent and they certainly have brought in and had some older players around, whether they're transfers or retention guys. But you know, it kind of depends on who you talk to. You know, if a team wins with a group that they've had that's the blueprint, then a team like Michigan wins when they've got five starters that are all transfers, even though to Maury Burnett was their last year, Well then that's the way. And if you win with one and Dune's, well you got to have pros, you know. So it's always shift team. And that's one of the odd things about college football and college basketball is these narratives that are around the game, you know, And the narrative now is it's all transactional. As if it wasn't transactional before you have to sign a letter of intent, you recruited and brought in and there was a set of rules and all that it was transactional into you can't have relationships. Well, every team that lost in the NCAA term was hugging each other and crying in the locker room. So the idea that just because they're paid now it's it's, uh, you know, it's different, and you know now they don't care as much and all that stuff is just nonsense. And you know, I mean, I don't want to beat this to death, but you know, it kind of made me laugh the way we talk about players. And then recently with all the coaching movement, you know, nobody says anything to coaches about loyalty and commitment. They signed long term contracts and they leave skid marks on these schools when they get about a better opportunity and one player transfers and all of a sudden, it's loyalty or you can't go through adversity or all this nonsense. And I don't understand why we keep doing that. Maybe it makes us clutch our pearls and feel better, but we need to stop doing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's you know, they've lost control. You got you know, they're all control freaks, so they're used to controlling their rosters. Now they don't have control. Now they're lamenting the you know, we missed the old days. Well, the old days that wasn't fair to the player. And I'm wondering about what we saw with Illinois. You know, Michael Malone going to North Carolina, He's going to tap into Nikola Jokich's agent and his pipeline here. So that's why I wondered, are we going to see more of the overseas players who can be professionals and then come over here as well. That's why with Illinois and Michigan, how they built their rosters more Illinois. But is would that be a safer bet that doing that as opposed to trying to recruit somebody out of high school.
Speaker 11: Well, it'll be I mean, it'll be more prevalent. You may see it more because you can make money in college now. So now international players are going, wait a minute, I don't need to stay here and play for less money in their home countries or their home regions when they can come and go to college and play in this system. And so it's an option for them. Not every international player is going to flood the system in the United States. And we've had international players forever. We've got a few more of them now, and Illinois got more of them than just about anybody else. But that is akin to the one and done, And now that we've got the transfer portal, doesn't the one and done argument seem kind of quaint? Now nobody's complaining about that. We got something new to complain about now. But you know, to me, and you mentioned control, and I get it. You know, football and basketball coaches are kind of control freaks. But you know, they had their way for a long time, and the control they had was deemed to be illegal by the United States Supreme Court, So they're going to have to do it a little bit differently. And really, if you don't like transfers, don't take them. And you hear now nobody talks about education anymore.
Speaker 5: Not true.
Speaker 11: But if you want to talk about education, talk about at your school. You know, if you don't want to pay the players, don't pay them at your school and see how it works out for you.
Speaker 5: But with the coaches.
Speaker 11: Making eight million, nine million dollars a year, all that stuff, it seems kind of ridiculous to moan about.
Speaker 5: You know, somebody said them and I don't know what what. I don't know what.
Speaker 11: The roster cost Michigan, and I don't care. Some people may and that's fine, but somebody said it cost them ten million dollars to put that team on the floor. Their coaching staff makes more than that. And does somebody want to argue that the that somehow Yaxel Lindeborg is not worth as much as their top assistant, I would argue, I would I would contest that I don't think that's true.
Speaker 2: The job that Dan Hurley did this season as opposed to the other two championship runs.
Speaker 11: You know, you could argue that he did a better job because his team wasn't quite as talented and as dominant and had a wonderful chance to win a national championship. They came within a couple of possessions of it. You know, that's one of the things about Coach of the Year awards. I never know what they mean. You know, do you give Coach of the Year to the guy that has the best team? And Dusty May and the Big Ten was should he be Big Ten Coach of the Year because they ripped through the league and won it? Or should the guy win it who had the lowest expectations and exceeded those expectations, Even though the expectations are from the media and we're not supposed to know what we're talking about. I don't know. I don't know who you give that to. So those are the I don't know whether coaches love those awards or not. But of all the awards that we give out, I think Coach of the Year is probably the least important.
Speaker 2: And the job that Dusty May did that, I mean, that's pretty remarkable turnaround. But you know, Florida Atlantic. You know, when he went to the Final four and he waited another year, which that's usually when these guys, you know, jump off the ship and you know, head to a luxury liner here, which was surprising. He was waiting for the right jump.
Speaker 5: Yeah, maybe so.
Speaker 11: But one of the great things about Dusty when he was at Florida Atlantic and I heard, I heard you promote that he's going to be on later, one of the great things was when he decided to stay the next year, his whole team stayed with him. So that Final four team came back and stayed at Florida Atlantic. In an age when people say it's transactional, it's no loyalty. They all stayed. They only left when Dusty left, And I thought that said a lot about their program and the kind of culture that he believes in and he fosters and I know you know this, but you know, he was a manager for Bob Knight at Indiana. And one of the things he and the other managers I know a lot of those guys, what they used to do. They used to have to go get Knight all the quirky things that he liked to eat, like non yeast doughnuts and Night used to drink these crazy concoctions and.
Speaker 5: Like doctor pepper and lemonade, and they had to do that.
Speaker 11: One of the things I've never asked Dusty, is all right, now that you're a head coach, what do your managers have to do for you? So I would love to hear. I'm sure it's not as quirky as Night, but that would be kind of interesting.
Speaker 2: Did North Carolina basketball have a good day yesterday? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 11: You know, one of the things that nobody heard when everybody was reporting on it was Michael Malone's name. You know, everybody was focus the media was focusing on. Okay, they're going after you know, Billy Donovan and Tommy Lloyd and you know, Dan, what happens in these situations every single time? And why the college system is so screwed up because this would never happen in the NBA.
Speaker 5: Of the NFL.
Speaker 11: Job's open and coaches are named mentioned contacted, and they squeeze more money out of where they are and they leverage it as they should because that's just smart business. But I can't imagine why the DA doesn't have a rule that says there's no tampering with coaches. Like we talk about tampering with players who are not under contract and have a transfer portal, that's not tampering. There's tampering with coaches. These guys are under contract. But everybody accepts it because if somebody takes my coach, then I'm going to go take somebody else's coach, and I want to be able to do that. And the domino effect of that affects a lot of people's lives, including a lot of players' lives, and we continue to do this. But Michael Malone's an outstanding coach. You know, you know, he did a he coached in college, He coached for Pete Gillen to Providence and coach at Manhattan under Bobby Gonzalez.
Speaker 5: So he's he's been in college before.
Speaker 11: It's been a while, but I think with the current state of things, having a pro coach is going to be a far easier transition than it might have been, you know, ten fifteen years ago.
Speaker 2: Thanks for your contributions this year during the season. We appreciated Jay, and thanks for all you do for the game. Dan, Are you being serious about that, because it sounds.
Speaker 5: Of course I am.
Speaker 11: You're a national treasure and you know, you know, I still have a signed picture that you gave me, and gradual rather egotistical gift that you.
Speaker 5: Gave me when we were both at ESPN. But I treasure it.
Speaker 2: Wait, that doesn't sound like me that it would be egotistical. I was just you seem like you were having a bad day and I just wanted to pick up your spirits. I gave you, you know, me and Joe Green, you know when he gets the Coca cola and he gives the jersey to the little boy. That's kind of that's how I felt.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but that jersey was worth something. You could have taken that on the market. Yeah, that's just that.
Speaker 11: This is just between me and you, But it is a treasured memorabilia item that I own.
Speaker 2: It, and be nice if you put it up behind you that'd be nice.
Speaker 5: You know what I shouldn't.
Speaker 2: I'm going to do that.
Speaker 5: I'm going to do that. That's a good call. I'm going to do that.
Speaker 2: Thank you Jay, all right, brother Jay, billis from the Mothership. So Jay was there in Indianapolis last night, got up this morning, flew home, and then said that he would come on the show. So we appreciate that. A couple of phone calls in here Andrew and Washington leads us off. Good morning, Andrew, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 8: Good morning Dan Nnet's think. Thank you for taking my call, Marvin. Sorry about your Yukon Huskies.
Speaker 12: Dan.
Speaker 8: I see the turning point in the National Championship at three eighteen in the first half, when Alex Caravan had a foul called on him. It looked like a simple on the floor foul. They go to the monitor, they call it a hook and hold. They do it a flagrant fowl. So it was twenty five twenty three at that time. Yukon Michigan makes both free throws this twenty five twenty five. They get the ball back. Lindi Borg makes a layup. Okay, they're up by two. Okay, Yukon doesn't score. They come back. Maris scores. It's a six point turnaround. What was the game ended that at six point deficit? So I really look at that as the turning point in the whole game. After that point, Yukon never tied or led the game again. They look discombobulated after that, like maybe one of their ways or physicality was taken away from him. And I just think that was a turning point in the whole game after that hook and hold flagrant pow. That was just a bad call.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think towards the end of the first half was a big turning point for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Paully, Yeah, that play is very weird because now with replay, when Caravan does the pin down on the guy's arm, they try to avoid that because of shoulder injuries, and it was a normal foul call. Well, once you go to replay, the refs have to look at it and say is he holding his arm down on purpose? And it's almost like I have to call it, you know, weirdly.
Speaker 2: Christian Syracuse, Good morning, Chris. What do you have for me?
Speaker 7: Thanks?
Speaker 13: Dan? A couple comments and a possible poll question. Yeah, for Connecticut, What a difference between Geno's postgame Morant and Dan Hurley last night. And it's kind of bizarre world. Who would think the Big Ten has a dominant ear in basketball and the Indiana Hoosiers have nothing to do with it, And the Big Ten also has a dominant ear in football and the Hoosiers have everything to do with it. And off of Wemby hurting his ribs last night. And the question for you and maybe a possible poll question for Dan Nation, which player would you miss seeing play the most in the playoffs and which team do you think would miss the player in the playoffs the most? Wemby with the Spurs or Luca with the Lakers.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say Wemby because I think that team can play for a championship. Luca, I mean we've seen that. I don't know if the Lakers are formidable even when everybody's healthy. I think the Spurs can be formidable. Watched a little bit of Joker, another overtime game, put up another monster night. You know the MVP odds it's over, it's SGA's it's it's not going anyplace else. SGA is going to go back to back here with the MVP. Hannah in Des Moines or Des Monet.
Speaker 14: Hi, Hannah, Hi, Dan five eight, first time, long time. I'm gonna stay at home mom, and I watch your show on Peacock every morning. Nineteen year old son actually dances to the Dan House team song when.
Speaker 3: It comes on.
Speaker 14: I was just calling to request that Fritzy work on a sports center tease for us.
Speaker 2: Thanks Dan, Oh, Hannah requesting a sports center tease?
Speaker 6: Ton, We can do that.
Speaker 2: You can whip that up. It's been a while since we've had that.
Speaker 10: It has been a while.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, Hannah, we'll do that for you. We take request here. By the way, Marvin lost the Celebrity Bracket Challenge because Connecticut lost Guy Fieri, who joined us yesterday ended up winning. Guy did reach out to me this morning and he said, Hey, I know you're going to have my son writer on. He's a big college basketball fan. He's a student. I believe it's San Diego State. And if Guy had lost, Marvin would have been on Diners, Drive ins and Dives. Guy said, you'll still be on Diners, Drive ins and dives. Okay, many, Thank you so much. Guy. Yes, Jimmy and Michigan, Hey Jimmy, what's on your mind?
Speaker 8: Hey?
Speaker 7: Dad?
Speaker 8: Kind of buckling off. But you just mentioned the batter of the poll there.
Speaker 7: Since his son's going to be there, maybe a meet Friday with Guy Fiery, how about that?
Speaker 2: Oh, we'd love to have guy come in for meet Friday, But that guy is busy. I saw that firsthand in New York, and I saw it in Connecticut where I was kind of around him for half a day. Who he is, He is moving, he is got a lot of energy there. Jim in Pennsylvania, Good morning, Jim, what's on your mind?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I was in good morning. I was come to see what you thought.
Speaker 15: Now are the five best head coaching jobs? And college bustball? And what the docchers you use to rank this be nil money facilities which don't seem to be as important anymore.
Speaker 8: Prestige?
Speaker 2: Are you talking about the actual old job itself or the person in the job the job? Oh, you know, that's tough to say, because North Carolina used to be one of the coveted places and it didn't turn out that way. Now, coaches flirted with that, but I you know, they were reaching out thinking, Hey, Dusty may w be interested, or Tommy Lloyd's gonna leave Arizona Natoates will leave Alabama like, yeah, Billy Donovan's gonna want this job. Then they find out that they didn't, and then that's that reality check. Coaching Duke is one of the top five, But it'd be hard to rank them though, because is Michigan now one of the five best coaching situations? It wasn't two years ago. But you got to get money. You have to have a coach who understands what does it take to win. Now, I can recruit. I have the support of the athletic Department, the chancellor, the president, the collectives. I got ni L I understand the portal. I'm not afraid of going outside of the United States. If you get all of that, uh, then you've got a great opportunity there. But I as far as ranking, like is Kentucky a great job? There's a lot of pressure on Mark Pope. There used to be like, man, Kentucky U c l A. Is that a great job? Indiana used to be a great job, Like we have a lot of used to be. We'll take a break here, Dusty May National Champ, Top of the Hour, Play of the Day is next.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch All of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live. Oh My God the.
Speaker 8: Day, the Play of the Day check.
Speaker 5: Crusher fly only in bound.
Speaker 12: Michigan gets it up to Foma Gale and then Read bats the ball away and it's a steel Great takes.
Speaker 2: It away, flips it behind.
Speaker 12: This shot won't go under the basket and it would not fall for solo ball on a bounce up before Johnson on the run bobbles it, gets it back to Gayl Gail kicks it out to Mckenni quicks three of his defender launches a three.
Speaker 1: He hits old bind. That cut be the play of the night for Michigan.
Speaker 11: It was.
Speaker 2: That was a big, big turnaround McKenny one of just two three pointers made by Michigan. Michigan scored thirty six points in the paint. They had twenty five made free throws. That's the most by any team in a title game since North Carolina back in two thousand and nine. That is your Play of the Day. Play of the Day brought to you by the folks who have been doing it for over forty years. Tire rack dot Com is the way tire buying should be ship fast and free back by free road hazard per action, convenient installation options like mobile tire installation, tirerac dot com. The way tire buying should be Let's play the Dusty May contract game. Oh yes, this is fun. Okay, do I have any music for the Dusty May contract game? All right, here we go, Dan.
Speaker 3: Okay, I've got the list of the forty highest paid college basketball coaches currently. Where does Dusty May fit on the list and what does he make approximate?
Speaker 2: Okay, we're gonna start with Todd.
Speaker 10: He is seventeenth on the list at it makes thirteen point six millionaires.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's it. That's a lot, all right, all right, seton.
Speaker 9: Man, that's a hell of a line to start at. I'm gonna think I'm gonna say that thirteen point six is closer to what he makes in three years.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 9: I think that he's probably somewhere in the thirties on the list.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, Marvin.
Speaker 6: I think he's twenty fourth. He makes about four point five million dollars a year.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say he makes five point six million this past season, which would put him a eleventh on the list.
Speaker 3: Dusty May is the thirty second highest paid coaches in college basketball.
Speaker 2: Bloop deceit?
Speaker 3: Yeah, held it, uh, three point six million dollars, So Fritzy was only off by ten million.
Speaker 2: Okay, so close. Well, you're doing after taxes. Tome was doing four text so that's the difference.
Speaker 3: Now he did get some bonus money for last night, obviously. Okay, here's the question. Let's put it this way. Mick Cronin makes six point one million at UCLA, a lot of titles. Where does Dusty May's eventual rays get him to wants the closest to the hole we're playing.
Speaker 2: I would say whatever is ninth on the list.
Speaker 3: Ninth would be Tommy Lloyd that Arizona was last year he was making five point two, so five point two would be the ninth spot. I'm going six point two even, and that'll put him in the top five, and that will put him ahead of Mick Cronin fellow Big ten coaches.
Speaker 2: Okay, ish ish, yes, all right, Well that's the Dusty May contract. He'll join us at the top of the hour. Zach and Knoxville. Hi, Zach, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 7: Kadie B.
Speaker 16: Thanks for taking my call still warning the loss of last night, but I think the biggest difference in the game was just the defense on the inside. Mara kind of made it hard for Terroris Reed to get comfortable.
Speaker 7: And I just want to ask you, Michigan never really had that signature moment or any you know, they're good, but not great. Who's since two thousand, who's probably like the least memorable national champion that we've had. Looking at the list, I saw Louisville and Baylor, and I just wonder if you had any thoughts on.
Speaker 2: That I haven't thought about that. I'd have to look at the list. You know, Baylor is not a typical basketball school, maybe a little more football than basketball. You know, you didn't have the signature player that usually helps, yes, Marvin, Yeah.
Speaker 6: That Louisville team, they really didn't have anybody that even played in the NBA. I think their most outstanding player was Louke Hancock.
Speaker 2: Outside shooter. Yes mm hm yeah, like Rust Smith.
Speaker 6: A bunch of good college players, but none of them became NBA players.
Speaker 2: You can look at the most outstanding player the last fifteen years. There are not a lot of big names who have been the most outstanding player, and usually it's not the best player on the team who ends up being the most outstanding player. That was the case, you know last night, with Cadou being the most outstanding player. Seem would you update the Pole results? Absolutely?
Speaker 9: I would be happy to. Let's see with got one of Todd's up there. Putting together team starting five of all transfers is smart or dumb?
Speaker 2: Sixty three percent have that as smart.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 9: I think sometimes you have.
Speaker 2: To do that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, and win a championship. People get fired, people get hired, people transfer. You gotta field the team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's no different than trying to bring in five recruits. Now, these are recruits in a different way. Noah, any other Pole questions. We're only going with one seaton.
Speaker 9: We're going with that one for the first hour. We'll have a new one, Okay after the break.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, fair enough. Jalen Rose fab Fiber, he'll join us, coming up. Reggie Miller. Reggie texting me late last night. Hey, I want to make sure we talk about the UCLA women's team. I go. I know you went to UCLA and you pick them to win the title. That's not a big you know, oh my god moment. Come on, but Regill join us in the final. Now the program eight seven to seven three. DP Show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show. Big announcement coming up in about forty five minutes on the program Big Announcement, Big Show Changing Announcement.