Speaker 1: School of Humans. Oh what a life we're living. Everybody.
Speaker 2: It's blizzard season.
Speaker 1: Well not where I live, because I live in Atlanta, but it is slightly cold down here. You know a nice thing to do on these cold and dark winter months, Well you could read a little story with your friends and family around the fire. Yeah, in this modern age of iPads and phones and.
Speaker 2: Meth, that's what people want to do.
Speaker 1: They just want to get together and tell stories around the fire or read a book. You know. But if you are going to read a book, maybe you want something that's fun for the whole family. And oh, I know, perhaps you could read something by Doctor Seuss, the author and illustrator whose work is ubiquitous across American childhoods. His books like Green Eggs and Ham, the Cat and the Hat, Horton Hears Who, the Lorax, they're all efflective of the American spirit. They all include a passion for democracy, and some of them could be a little bit racist, just to touch. Like. In twenty twenty one, publishers decided to stop printing some of doctor Seuss's books, the ones that included racist images and ideas, And this might get be canceled. And that's fine, I'm tired, but I'm actually here to defend doctor Seuss because a lot of his books took stands against anti Semitism dictatorships. They're really pro environment, very pro democracy. And in the nineteen seventies, doctor susan his wife Audrey, got pissed off at some pro life groups because they had co opted a line from Horton here's a who you know, the famous one. A person's a person, no matter how small. Pro life people took that and we're like, well, if that's the case, then you shouldn't get an abortion, and doctor SEUs was like, shut up, that's not the context.
Speaker 2: So Docressus, that's a pretty cool guy. I like him.
Speaker 1: But all that controversy aside, because yeah, there are a few of his books that are a little racist against Asian people and black people. If you are gonna have a little story time with your family by the sweltering fire, let me suggest a doctor Seuss book.
Speaker 2: You shouldn't read.
Speaker 1: First, let's hear some reviews from the library I go to. That's in the Fulson County Library System. Yes, I am bragging that I go to the library and sometimes I even read the books.
Speaker 2: I check out.
Speaker 1: So with this Doctor Seuss book. One of the reviewers on the library website gave it a half star out of five. Yeah, just a half, and the review said astoundingly awful, painfully unfunny, boring, tedious, ghastly illustrations. And it doesn't even rhyme. That's right, doesn't even rhyme? Doesn't that suck. Another review is not as bad. It gave it a three out of five stars, but it said this is not Doctor SEUs for children. The cover alone is enough to make that statement. Ooh, isn't that spicy? And I bet you're wondering.
Speaker 2: What is the cover of the book.
Speaker 1: Well, it's seven women riding a horse, and all of these ladies are naked, naked Doctor Seuss what it definitely is not for children. The rest of that review said, although SEUs was clever in some spots, the nakedness of these ladies while everyone else's clothes is silly, and the story is simply strange. I think if the ladies had their clothes on, the story would have been more interesting, but then they couldn't be Lady Godiva's.
Speaker 2: I suppose this.
Speaker 1: Was written in nineteen thirty nine, which is rather surprising for the time period, not even close to my favorite Doctor SEUs materials, so yes. In nineteen thirty nine, Doctor Seu's published a book featuring seven naked women called The Seven Lady Godivas, and oh boy, did not sell well, as the reviewer said, it didn't even rhyme cute.
Speaker 2: The theme song.
Speaker 1: This is American Filth and I'm Gaby Watts. Every week I tell you a filthy story from American history. This week's episode Naked Doctor Seuss.
Speaker 2: The thing about.
Speaker 1: Doctor Seuss is he is a man. And the thing about men that I find is, at some point in their artistic career they're probably gonna draw pictures of naked ladies. And that's what he did in his book The Seven Lady get So, what's this book about? While the Seven Lady Godivas are sisters, they're all noble women, and they are committed to living their lives bare, both physically without clothes and metaphorically. They are dedicated to truth and honesty. And one day their father, a lord, he decides to go off to war. But unfortunately, when he mounts his horse, whose name is Nathan, an obvious horse name Nathan rears and the Lord Godiva flies off the horse and dies. Now in this moment, you might think that the sisters would have significant PTSD after witnessing their father's death, but no, what they realize instead is that horses must be studied and charted, made safe for posterity. So the seven sisters swear that they will bring to light new horse truths, you know, horse truths, lessons about the world revealed through horses. So each sister embarks on a quest to discover one horse truth and they have to do this before they can marry one of the seven Peeping brothers. Yes, there's a family of seven brothers, the Peepings, one of whom is obviously Peeping Tom.
Speaker 2: And they wear clothes by the way, And you.
Speaker 1: Guys might be thinking, this is a pretty strange concept for a book. Yes, I mean, I guess so is a cat and a hat and one fish and two fish and a bluefish and a redfish.
Speaker 2: But this story is actually based.
Speaker 1: On an even older story, a famous English tale about a noble woman known for her act of compassion and defiance against oppressive taxation. This is a story from the eleventh century and is based on a real historical figure named Lady Godiva. She was the wife of the Earl of who is a powerful nobleman in Anglo Saxon, England. So, according to this legend, the Earl Lady Godiva's husband imposed harsh taxes on the people of Coventry, which caused a lot of suffering amongst the townsfolk, and then Lady Godiva begged her husband. She was like, Hey, we need to reduce these taxes so they don't suffer. Her husband was frustrated and he was like, Hey, I'll reduce the taxes if you do this one impossible thing that I know that you're not going to do.
Speaker 2: Haha, So I'm going to win.
Speaker 1: He was like, I'll lower the taxes if you ride naked through the streets of Coventry on horseback. He was like, she'll never agree to do that because of modesty and societal expectations.
Speaker 2: Ha ha. I got her. I tricked her.
Speaker 1: But to his surprise and to everybody else's, Lady Godiva accepted the challenge. She rode unclothed through the town, her long hair covering most of.
Speaker 2: Her body to shield her.
Speaker 1: Modestly, and out of respect for her, the townspeople supposedly stayed indoors and did not look as she passed. Yes, I'm sure not a single man looked at this naked lady on a horse. And then her husband was like, damn, I didn't know she was gonna do that, and I am impressed by her bravery and her commitment, So I'm actually going to reduce the taxes. And then all the townspeople of Coventry were happy, thank you, lady Godiva for being naked on a horse.
Speaker 2: So that's kind of like the original story.
Speaker 1: And then in later versions of it, there's a peeping tom who actually does look at her as she passes by, but he's punished. In some versions he ends up dying and others he just goes blind. And so yeah, this is a pretty well known story, though I feel like a most Americans don't know about it today. I'm going to say that, I mean, we're not the smartest people at this point. We don't really get that much info, or we get too much info that's wrong. Like if I said Godiva, most of us are going to associate it with the chocolate brand. You know, the chocolate brand that I eat while crying bitterly about the failure of my life.
Speaker 2: You guys too. But in doctor.
Speaker 1: Seuss's early career as an illustrator, artist writer, A lot of people were talking about this Lady Goadiva tale. Like in nineteen thirty five, the actress and dancer named Thelma White rode down Broadway in New York City atop a horse wearing next to nothing. According to one newspaper, throngs of peeping toms climbed over one another in their anxiety to examine a plain white nag ambling up the famed thoroughfare. One onlooker yelled, she's naked, said The reason she did this little ride was to commemorate the anniversary of Lady Godivas Canter. And the thing is Thelma wasn't actually completely naked. She had a tricky net arrangement of ribbon that was placed strategically over her body. Thelma was quickly arrested. Her ride only lasted a block, but her state of undress wasn't the main issue. The bigger issue at hand was the traffic. Her ride caused a major traffic jam, so she was arrested, taken to jail, and was hailed on a fifty dollars bail for disorderly conduct. Thelma never again did this stunt. But she did skyrocket to fame, and by skyrocket I mean mostly just get a job in a movie that you might be familiar with the next year in nineteen thirty six called Reefer Madness, you guys know, the over the top propaganda film that warned youths about the terrors of smoking marijuana. According to that movie, if you smoke dope, it might lead to a life of prostitution, insanity, manslaughter, suicide, among a lot of other terrible side effects. Bellemawhite was just one Lady Godiva out there. Like in nineteen twenty seven, there's these two Chicago architects who are hosting a artist ball where they promised there would be seven Lady Godivas there. They're like, yeah, we're gonna have seven naked ladies on horseback.
Speaker 2: Isn't that exciting?
Speaker 1: One of the architects and organizers of this event said, certainly, we should have a Lady Godiva.
Speaker 2: The legend about her is beautiful.
Speaker 1: Her appearance on a horse, provided it isn't too cold, will be an artistic achievement such as Chicago has seldom seen. Yes, what an artistic achievement to be a naked woman on horseback and The thing is, I do think it would be too cold for a Lady Godiva, because this was supposed to be in November, which I don't know if you've been to Chicago in the winter, but it's pretty frick and cold. But Thelma White, these seven Lady Godivas, don't worry. There's even more Lady Godivas. In nineteen thirty three in Hollywood, there was a call for a casting of a Lady Godiva. The advertisement said, the lady who is to ride a snow white horse in a fiesta must have a beautiful face, a divine figure, and a wealth of golden locks real that all but sweep to the ground. Also that year, in Hollywood, seven lady Godivas appeared in a parade, but instead of riding horses, they rode elephants. Obviously, this all goes to say that in the late nineteen twenties and thirties, people were excited about Lady Godiva, specifically because that meant naked women riding horses or elephants or whatever, and they seemed particularly excited if you had seven of them. And then there was doctor Seuss. Perhaps he had read about Thelma White, perhaps he had seen all these calls for Lady Godiva's especially seven of them, and he was like, huh, I got an idea for a book. We'll be right back after these soothing advertisements. Doctor Seus's full name is Theodore Seuss Geisel, and if you can believe it, he's not actually a doctor. And in nineteen thirty nine he was still trying to make it. He had a lot of different jobs in different fields, and it wasn't fully clicking yet.
Speaker 2: At first. When he was younger, he tried to be a novelist.
Speaker 1: And right after college he wrote a book, and apparently it sucked.
Speaker 2: Later in life. This is what Geisel said about the book.
Speaker 1: It was a very long novel and nobody would publish it. So I boiled it down to a short story, and still nobody would publish that. So then I boiled it down to a short short story, and still nobody would publish it. Finally, I took one joke out of it and sold it as a two line joke, which proved that nothing is ever lost. Wow, what a positive spin on spending years of your life writing a book. And that's the thing about art, isn't it fulfilling all the time? Sometimes you can just work really hard on something and just get two sentences out of it. Anyway, after that novel failed, Geisel had started working as an illustrator and humorous for some magazines. He also did some political cartoons. But even the magazine business wasn't lucrative enough, so he started working at Standard Oil as an advertiser, and there he made a bit of a splash because he created a famous ad campaign for a pest to side. He came up with this slogan, quick Henry the flit, the flit being a pesticide against flies and mosquitoes. But if you can believe it, for a creative mind like Geisel, working in advertising and creating slogans for bug killing solutions wasn't creatively satisfying. I know, isn't that crazy? And so Geisel wanted to make something else. But unfortunately, Geisel couldn't go back to writing novels or illustrating cartoons for newspapers because he still needed his advertising job for the money, and at Standard Oil he had a non compete clause in his contract that was like, you can't write or draw anything else outside of this company. The only exception is children's books. And so that might have been part of the reason why doctor Seuss became doctor Seuss because of a non compete agreement. The first couple were moderately successful, but the sales they're pretty sluggish in general, Like, they were fine, but he wasn't popping off yet. He wasn't a household name. But it seemed at this point he was making enough money off of these books to have a new career. Of course, you want more success than sluggish sales. So Geisel doctor Seuss, was like, hmm, let me try something else. These children books are fine, but maybe I could be more successful doing, you know, something for adults. So this was like the later nineteen thirties, and at this time people were wanting unconventional and experimental literature, you know, they wanted something spicy, something interesting. We were coming out of the Depression, which was right after the jazz Age, with the speakeasies and the flappers. There was a general loosening of societal norms. Geisel was like, well, if I make a risque in a reverent book for adults.
Speaker 2: Maybe they'll like that.
Speaker 1: Maybe that audience I want to read it, and I'll make a lot of money and be very successful. Doctor Seus's publisher was Random House, and before he got started working on this adult book, Random House was like, hey, doctor Seuss, in you're twelve years of working as an illustrator.
Speaker 2: We've kind of noticed that.
Speaker 1: You've drawn men, children, insects, dragons, fish, and other animals, but you have actually never drawn a woman whoopsies. So when doctor SEUs started on his endeavor to create an adult book, this was in the back of his mind and he was like, Hey, I won't draw just one lady, I will draw seven.
Speaker 2: How's that, Random House. That's a lot of ladies.
Speaker 1: So the book came out in nineteen thirty nine, featured forty three illustrations, and if you can believe it, it was a commercial flop. Yeah. They printed like ten thousand copies and only twenty five hundred sold. People hated it, which probably made guys a little upset. He was like, well, I thought people wanted stuff like this. I thought adults were freaky. They want some naked ladies. I delivered, and they hate it. So why did it flop so hard? Well, the book's humor didn't resonate with readers, and the illustrations weren't seen as provocative or engaging. Instead, they just looked silly and ridiculous. One review said, his little book is only mildly amusing. That may be due to the fact that he has never before written or drawn about women, or it may be the result of too obvious humor plus a lack of definition in the character of each Lady Godiva. Better luck next time, doctor Seuss. Another of you agreed, saying doctor Seuss has a with women in caricature at least. And I really appreciate these reviews. They're actually kind of feminists for the nineteen thirties. They're saying, hey, doctor Seuss, you're not presenting these women as real people. Also, they look stupid and worse than these negative reviews.
Speaker 2: It seems a lot of the reviews just didn't care about the book.
Speaker 1: Like one of the reviews just said, the seven Lady Godivas is the title.
Speaker 2: Of a book. Wow, that's it the whole review.
Speaker 1: Yes, this book exists, devastating and I'm sure you guys all want my personal opinion on the book, of course, Well I will say the ladies do look a little weird, like for one of the sisters, her elbow.
Speaker 2: Is at the same height as her knee, which is a little messed up, you know.
Speaker 1: So their arms are a bit too long, they got short little legs, their torsos are really long, and they all have like pretty huge asses, and they all have like the perkiest tits I've ever seen. They're often like angled upwards they like almost look like they're about to hit them in.
Speaker 2: The neck kind of.
Speaker 1: And all the sisters they have different haircuts or whatever. And one of the sisters, she's larger, and the rest of them are just very skinny.
Speaker 2: Asexual looking ladies.
Speaker 1: Like in the nineteen thirties, adults were like, I want something provocative, and yes, these are just like silly little drawings of ladies. Like if you found these ladies sexual, there's something wrong with you, okay.
Speaker 2: And as far as.
Speaker 1: The story goes, it's not particularly gripping. It's also kind of weird, like it just tells the tale of the seven sisters trying to find their horse truths or whatever, so it's kind of stilted, and the horse truths that they all discover are really dumb. It's all just like horse idioms and horse puns, like don't put the cart before the horse, or don't lock the barn door after the horse has been stolen or never change horses in the middle.
Speaker 2: Of a stream. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. So yeah, I'm not gonna.
Speaker 1: Give it a half star out of five, but I'm not gonna give it a three either. I think it's hovering somewhere in the two range for me.
Speaker 2: And guys.
Speaker 1: Old Doctor Sus himself admitted later on that the book was a huge misstep. He was like, I tried to draw the sexiest babes I could, but they came out looking absurd. I think maybe it all went to prove that I don't know anything about adults beyond the fact that they're obsolete to children.
Speaker 2: After The Seven Lady.
Speaker 1: Godivas came out and sold some soh terribly, Geisel was like, nevermind, fuck adults. I'm going back to writing children's books because they are the ones who appreciate me. And obviously that was a good choice. He went on to produce some of the most beloved works in American children's literary history, and for the most part, they all rhymed.
Speaker 2: Thank God.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing about the Seven Lady Godivas. Throughout the decades, as Doctor Seuss got more and more famous for his books. The Seven Lady Godivas had a cult like following, like it's a weird novelty, especially since most of us were introduced to Doctor SEUs as a kid. It's just funny that he has this book about naked ladies. But it got so popular in later decades that Doctor Seuss even thought about writing a musical based on The Seven Lady Godivas. He never did, but he had the idea in the nineteen eighties. At that point, copies of the book were selling for five hundred dollars a pop, and the book became so popular. I mean, I'm not gonna say it was like that popular, but it was popular enough that Random House printed some more copies in nineteen eighty seven. On the cover, it says it's reissued by multitudinous demand, And yeah, multitudiness.
Speaker 2: That's a bit of a reach.
Speaker 1: But it is out there and you can find it at your local library, even though in my experience it is very embarrassing to check out. I was at the library trying to be like really coy and subtle about it, trying to make sure that nobody saw that I was just getting these big lady asses. But you know what life's an imare, and I did it for you, guys, so you're fricking welcome. Every week on American Filth, we learn a lesson. I think the lesson we learned this week is that, hey, when you're an artist, when you're doing creative stuff, you're gonna fail, and you're gonna fail hard, and it's gonna be embarrassing. But maybe after all those failures, maybe you'll eventually become a successful children's book writer. And I'm just saying this is reassurance to myself as I fail and fail again while I eat a dive of chocolate.
Speaker 2: And also, guys, I was lying, I don't really eat a diva that often.
Speaker 1: I'll just like eat a bunch of like chocolate chips from the store, like Kroger brand. But yes, life is a nightmare, so take that into twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Cue the credits.
Speaker 1: American Filth is a production of School of Humans and iHeart Podcast. This episode was produced, written, hosted by me Gabby Watts. Our theme song is by Jesse Niswanger. Our executive producers are Virginia Prescott, Else Crowley and Brandon Barr and you guys can follow along with the pod on Instagram at American filth Pod. I'm gonna post some pictures of the the ladies butts. Hopefully I don't get censored on Instagram. Mark Zuck is gonna come for me, and of course send the pod to your friends, to your enemies like subscribe, get the algorithm going. And even though I was saying life is a nightmare, I do hope you guys have a Grete twenty twenty five. I'll talk to you guys next time.
Speaker 2: Bye. School of Humans.