Speaker 1: I've seen rookies come in and see Bill coming down the hallway and they would literally like just bust the left right into a random meeting room because they don't want to look this man in his eyes. And I didn't think I was doing anything wrong because you don't know yet. I don't know yet, That's what I'm saying, Like, I'm not as naive. I'm naive.
Speaker 2: I think you're gonna talk to Bill.
Speaker 1: Go talk to Bill.
Speaker 2: You if I was walking by here in the hallway as a second year or third year guy, just like what a dumb ass. Welcome to Games with Names. I'm Julian Edelman. They're Jack and Kyler, and we are on a mission to find the greatest game of all time. On today's episode, we are covering Week fourteen, twenty twelve Texans versus Patriots, aka the Letterman Jacket Game with Super Bowl Champion, National Champion and former NFL running back my teammate Steven Ridley, and we get into talking the infamous Letterman jackets.
Speaker 1: Bro, you're coming up in our shit swagging out rocking these jackets like this is about to be a cake walk. It was disrespectful.
Speaker 2: We also get into Ridd's love for LSU.
Speaker 1: Being blessed with the opportunity to go and play in Tiger Stadium. You had to earn your stripes at LSU football? Is life down there?
Speaker 2: And what it's like in Bill Belichick's doghouse? Just what the fuck are you doing? Give me a break. Just don't even bring your ass back up here, and Rid stays for a very special chill Line voicemail in this week's Chill Zone presented by Coors Light. You gotta stick around to the very very end. Let's Go. Games with Names is a production of iHeartRadio. December tenth, twenty twelve. Gillett Stadiumborough, Massachusetts.
Speaker 1: The eleven and one Texans roll into the Bay State for a Monday night showdown.
Speaker 2: Wait what are they worried? This is the Letterman Jacket game? Massachusetts the base state I've never heard. I thought that's Rhode Island. Steve, Welcome to Games Names, Bro.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you having me on Madna know how long you're gonna wait to get me in here, but uh you know I'm here.
Speaker 2: Well, we've been waiting because we just wanted to accumulate all the stories that we lived through. But the specific game we're gonna hit today is actually a game that I reference all the time, and I'm so excited to actually go and talk about this story with someone who balled in this game. Come on, man, today we're looking at the Letterman Jacket game Texans versus the Patriots, Week fourteen, twenty twelve game and one sentence why this.
Speaker 1: Game and this game was It was special for so many reasons because I think we were both coming in two hot teams towards the end of the year. But ultimately we uh, we had a little little chip on our shoulder, man, because I think everything goes through Foxborough at that point in time. While we were bawling and those boys came in rocking the Letterman jackets and all the good stuff. Hey, it looked good for pre game, but as y'all see, as we get into this, man, we were all about the business. So that's why we picked this game. Because it was two good records, two good teams going at it, but ultimately it was Patriot's day.
Speaker 2: Man, Is this the greatest game of all time?
Speaker 1: No, come on, man, you gotta have actual game for it to be a good game like it was. It was something on camera for y'all to watch. But I don't think it was a munch of a game, so we everyone d it was one to remember for sure.
Speaker 2: It was for sure. What's life looking like these days? Man? Life is good?
Speaker 1: Life is good?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 1: Uh got married married in June. I gotta throw that out there first to my bride man, and uh, you know things change once you get married, but before.
Speaker 2: That, sure you're the rubber band ring guy. Yeah, you know activities, huh.
Speaker 1: You know you gotta be safe with it. You know, I got the bling bling when it's Friday or Saturday night. But through the week, we just keep the rubber on and hunting, fishing and doing the outdoor stuff. We can't have the diamonds on all the time.
Speaker 2: Now, like can stuff?
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 2: Like I remember my dad, he'd be working on cars with his with my mom's ring on. Oh G O G.
Speaker 1: I'm like, you go to turning those wrenches and get hung up on.
Speaker 2: Something, knocking that thing everywhere.
Speaker 1: Old school bro shout out to Pops man. He ain't soft. You know, some of these kids don't have no calluses on their hands. But uh, you know, get to talk about Pops car. You got some calous man the country boy from Misissippi. It is what it is. But uh yeah, dog, so it's it's good man. Life is, life is okay. We're transitioning, you know. Ball res hired up. I retired in twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen, so we're right at five or six years out and we just kind of found found him away.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: Finally got out here to the West Coast permanently.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Spent many off seasons with this cat on the West coast. He's lucky he was born in the great state of California. I was just a country boy dreaming trying to get west. And uh, you know, my bride was on this side for eight years before me. I was back and forth, and then I finally made it official two years ago and moved out here to the West coast. So get to pull up on this feller from time to time.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: So it's good.
Speaker 2: Love it, It's good, and I love it because we hung out a lot when we played together. You grew up in Mississippi, yes, sir, so, I spent a little time on the Mississippi River. Did a little research about the Louisiana purchase out in eighteen oh three, fifteen million dollars. I mean, what, well, I was just at I was at the Super Bowl, and I was interested in the Mississippi River. You're from Mississippi. You also went to school at LSU. Can you explain some of this LSU Louisiana crazy? I don't know. I was so interested with that area of the Super Bowl. How was it in Louisiana?
Speaker 1: All right? Shout out man, uh Louisiana.
Speaker 2: Purchase eighteen oh three fifteen million bucks all the way up to the Minnesota with the president. Huh what was the president? Who's the president? Well, you're with Thomas Jefferson. Thomas Jefferson. Thomas Jefferson, w stole that land?
Speaker 1: Look, okay, we speaking on the reel.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, I mean it was literally he who stole it from some other people. Okay, okay, okay, Well we don't want to get too deep into that.
Speaker 1: But hey, either way, either way, the South bro is real, you know, And uh, I gotta I gotta always throw out there my LSU Tigers without my platform at LSU, man going down there handling business, being blessed with the opportunity to go and play in Tiger Stadium. I tell people all the time, Man, we play in front of the best fans in all the football. No disrespect to the Boston no disrespect, but one hundred thousand screaming fans. Probably a good seventy five percent of them are wasted from Wednesday night, Thursday night, Friday night in the build up. But football is life down there. And I tell people all the time, man, it's like, uh, you know, you come up in the South, it's not very much to do country town. We grow up hunting, fishing, playing ball, right, riding quad.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: We's just like with country folks who're outdoor people. But that molds us to be some of the best ball players. And I might put a little wildfire on the jewels when I say this, but when you look into the athletes and the guys around the league, it's a whole lot of ballers that come out of that Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas. I'm not throwing Arkansas in there. We'll stick on Mis to Louisiana, bro, But really, hey, Ryan Dilett played in this game, finished dog.
Speaker 2: Yes in Arkansas, Texas. He's from Arkansas.
Speaker 1: From Arkansas, I think Maldog was from Arkansas. We battled it out through college man, and Malley was the fiery one coming in the stadium. He was talking noise like you know what, you gotta always look at your white boys man to come in and that really ball and do it. And Maul was a quarterback and Mao just kind of ran his mouth and talked noise like nobody had ever seen. But he was a gunslinger. Bombed the ball down there sixty seventy yards with ease, and he was just he was a wild child, bro.
Speaker 2: So God rest his soul. That's my dog forever. So he's he's not in the Southern. The South doesn't accept him though, because Arkansas.
Speaker 1: He's Arkansas. I'll get it to him.
Speaker 2: He's a legend.
Speaker 1: He's a legend of Arkansas, and he gets there. But Mississippi Louisiana, though, is uh is strong. Dude. You know you got that old Miss LSU rivalry. But you know, coming up, coming out of high school, I went to a small, little private school. Never thought the million years. I go Division one, send out those highlight films, send out three. I wanted to stay close to mom so she could make it. And the dream was always to get to LSU. So going back to that man, it was really one of those deals that if they ever offered to said, hey, they give me a shot, it was a no brainer. I was going. And it's by far, to date, the best decision I've ever made to go to college in Baton Rouge, because I tell people all the time, man, it's it's nothing like playing ball for the LSU Tigers. Man, when you're playing there and you're bawling, you're a god in Louisiana.
Speaker 2: Man, let me tell you something right now, rid talk to me. Okay, when you play in front of three thousand people in ken Ohio on your senior day, I'll tell you that's a fucking environment that you gotta see. Hey, all right, that's what you need to see. Stand up, kid.
Speaker 1: Look I'm laughing because bother teammate down the road, Roosevelt Knicks, went to kids saying, and you know, when I bring up these guys, I look at him, was like, they don't have many. But when I look at Jewels and I look at Rosie, man, these are guys that are they don't have the respect. But every one of y'all that I mean come out.
Speaker 2: Of La Grrison, Josh Cribs. I mean, in the fucking Mac Daddy love in the league.
Speaker 5: Come on, y'all, grind the Mac Big Ben, Max Crosby, Max Crosby.
Speaker 2: Well, I see whole conference as a team. Our whole conference is a team. Okay, you know, okay, Okay, Well, but l s U. I mean, I just remember you always talking how crazy the environment was you always, I mean, you clearly love l s U. And every guy that goes to l s U loves l s U, like the alumni that come from there. Can you speak about some of the guys you played with that went to the league and just that L s U freaking tree of guys that go to the league who we got in L s.
Speaker 1: U absolutely make the lists, absolutely, man. I guess I'll talk first on someone ones that came in with and then some of the ones that came behind about I want to talk about the ones who paved the way for.
Speaker 2: Me, who paid away.
Speaker 1: So when I came there as a as a recruit recruit, JaMarcus Russell was quarterback, Marcus Dwayne bow was at receiver. Early du set Glenn Dorsey, Tyson Jackson, Ali Hai Smith, Brandon LaFell. Jojo was a little bit younger than those guys, that I played with, Joe. These were guys that I was coming and watching the Lron Landrys, the Scholar Greens. I don't know if y'all know there's number trended Holiday being a little rocket man, but these were guys that we played with. And if you look at the running back room, I called him my grandpapa was Jacob Hester. I don't even know if y'all know that guy, but he was one of the He was the baddest white boy that I knew before I met Jules. I'll say that man because because Hess was a running back, he was downhill bro, and I really learned so much from him because he was a fullback before he was a running back. So talk about that grit and the star power that you get out of the boot and you get out of Louisiana. I think it has a lot to do with how we grind down there, like we are really truly, it's always us versus them. But we are the type of people that I'm not gonna say we're the dollars that you find at Notre Dame, but you're gonna find some hard working, die hard ball or nothing sold out individuals that just want to be great.
Speaker 2: I know you guys sho pay cuts when you guys got to the league. Well, I can't speak on all that because I was just trying to hold on Florida. Guys have t bow teams taking pay cuts. When you came to the Patriots, all you guys getting paid. Hey, hey, it's good.
Speaker 1: It's good when it's good. But I ain't gonna say that.
Speaker 2: Uh, I can't.
Speaker 1: You can't speak on it too much. And we can say that's good of your business man.
Speaker 2: Did they see you listen as a fullback early in l s U. Well, when we got their young age as a running back.
Speaker 1: They always wanted every running back to have a little bit of fullback in their DNA before they started holding the pill because when.
Speaker 2: You hold the pill, you hold the life of the team.
Speaker 1: But the physicality of the SEC and old school football, I have to bark and say that because they changed the game a lot, I've only had double digit concussions. I'm in full on agreements that it needs to be softened up a little.
Speaker 2: But that wasn't my day.
Speaker 1: In my day, we were two tight ends full back downhill playing smash mouth ball. But LSU always if you play the running back position. They put your fullback first, just to make sure that you'd go in there and kiss that line back in the mouth and you weren't scared to a contact. So that's how we came up, you know, we came up rough. We had a awesome string coach. I got to give it to Tommy Moffatt Man. He was one of the pillars of LSU.
Speaker 2: But he Tommy Moffatt developed.
Speaker 1: He's at Texas A and M as the head string coach now, but he was one of those pillars to LSU. Man that was there for twenty thirty years. I'm not sure how long Coach Moffat was there, but we had those long days on the grind where it was one hundred and ten degrees out there. It's human as hell. You see the you see the use left from down there.
Speaker 2: Come on now, like, yeah, we wouldn't play. We played Louisian Lafayette in September once and it was smoking.
Speaker 1: It's brutal, bro Like you get out there and you literally see the waves coming off the field and we had what we called a one ten test, so we had to run twenty six one tiers. Everybody has a conditioning test. They have to pass the year starts, but that kind of let you know where your teammates stood. Because the one ten test was no joke. Coach Moffatt comes out there, hands behind the line, everybody's lined up off into linemen. Go your skill position, go, your running backs. Go. But when I tell you guys were falling out, I'm not even stretching the story a little bit. Excuse my language, mom. I watched the guy shit on hisself and not stop bro seriously from running this one ten test, because if you stopped and you missed one, it didn't matter if you were on twenty one or seven. You're starting over and you're doing this again. So nobody wanted to run that conditioning test even more than you had to. But this was the DNA of our team.
Speaker 2: You know you've been conditioning test because now, granted for the listener, they build these boys up to get to there throughout the offseason and then they get like two three weeks off where they get to go home and then they come back before the season that's when they hit it, or it could be before they leave for the season. So they build you up. So you've been working and you've been seeing guys shit and piss themselves to try to get to this point to this day. But like the conditioning test is always like you see men cry in college. In college, the pro ones are joke. Yes, when you go to college, we used to have to do ten three hundreds with a minute. They were we had like a minute to do the three hundred and you had like forty five seconds rest. I remember watching grown men cry because they didn't want to start this thing over and like guys are stripping and stuff. I mean, that's the conditioning test is supposed to take your soul in college.
Speaker 1: And it was effectively done in Baton Rouge year after year. I'm talking about you'd come out there, two pair of cleats, two pair of socks. You knew you were going to run through a pair. You see guys shucking clothes, like Jules says. But whatever it was, you didn't want to be the guy that didn't make it because you had to run it again. And number two, you let the position group down, so then.
Speaker 2: They show everyone on the team you didn't make it.
Speaker 1: That you didn't make it, be on that list, you didn't put that ground in, And then you gotta sit out there.
Speaker 2: And you go to the cafeteria to get your food. Looking at you ass like you get a guy like me and say, man, I don't think you should be in this line. Maybe you should go hit the fucking treadmill. That's that's really how it goes, Bro. You gotta earn. I mean, what the fuck are we doing. We're supposed to go to battle with this guy. You can't do the conditioning test.
Speaker 1: You ain't even ready.
Speaker 2: We're supposed to. We're supposed to be a two minute drill for the fucking super Bowl or National championship, and this guy can't make his fucking conditioning I gotta we're gonna rely on this guy?
Speaker 1: Can we depend on you?
Speaker 2: That's like the same thing if this guy was to cut the ball, like is he going green or red? We're gonna cut. We're gonna rely on this guy to cut the fucking bomb the wire. That's how important it is.
Speaker 6: You're the guy in fullmental jacket who like puts them on against the oranges over.
Speaker 2: That's you. You're the ringleader for that guy. No, I'm just saying, let's go conditioning test. Boys.
Speaker 1: It comes down to, like we say, earning your stripes. Bro, you had to earn your stripes at LSU, you had to come in that thing ready to play. The big dogs were out there and they weren't checking up. Some of them boys are running twenty six one tens and I remember one time, man, we were so physically in shape and the team was freaking This is another funny. So when we were out there freaking running, we had I think coach said if we had a certain percentage of the team passed, because nobody we never made that like one hundred percent, but he's like, if a certain percentage of the team passes, well we'll only run it once. And we smoked it and Coach Moffatt was pissed.
Speaker 2: That we won. He was like on the sideline.
Speaker 1: So we went from running twenty six to one tens and he made us run gassers after that. But I want to say we ran those twenty six one tens and gassers were from sideline to sideline. You'd have to go fifty yards over fifty yards back, but we'd have to do it twice, and so it was equivalent of running a down and back one hundred, but you go fifty at a time.
Speaker 2: It's harder because you start you have to break down when you got to touch lines and stop. You gotta rev it. You gotta slow the inje down, that ship up. It's not like you're cruising on that goddamn freeway. You can put that thing and cruise control and get on out there. That's the guy. The mileage goes down when you stop and start. Hell yeah, the same thing in the fucking body.
Speaker 1: It's one hundred because one tens. The secret is you get in shape. If you get out for the first thirty or four coast, you can coast on a cross down there.
Speaker 2: I always dug for the first like I would. I was always a rabbit, get out, get out.
Speaker 1: Jules is high energy, bro I mean, as you'll call the squirrel is what is the fucker never got tired bro ever And I mean, but it's just who he is. And so uh, I will get into that letter when I first laid my eyes on the man and the love that I have for this guy, before.
Speaker 2: We get out of it, before we get out of l s U. What are your thoughts on Brian Kelly? What's going on? Are we are we accepting him? Oh? You know what I mean, you're part of your part of the brotherhood of their mouse. You, I'm not uh, what do you mean. I'm not against him, I'm not uh, I'm not all for him. You gotta win this year, though, right said you gotta win this year? Did we make it to the playoff?
Speaker 1: Hey, buddy, let's just look at the last few head coaches that we've had at LSU. We are not afraid to pay you to get the hell out of town. Okay, So I'm just gonna be real. Uh, we have ballers, and we know we have ballers. We're strong every year. We need coaches, we need leadership, and I think that's what they looked for in BK. And I'm not giving up on BK. I just say that BK's got his work cut out ahead of him, and I don't think he's too comfortable in Baton Rouge right now, even though he's the head man, because our standard is not where it's been the last year or two. Like it's like Natty or Buster around that place. And then if it's not Natty, it's like one or two wins and we'll let you make it until next year. So you know, those Boosters ain't afraid to throw that cash and make sure that we get the right people in there because we know that we have the players there and the culture is there, it's built, and we have a standard, Bro, and it's we believe the sec goes through through us, especially with Saban being going. For God's sakes, I mean, that was the only person that we had that was a giant that we knew. Every year, whoever win's at lsu Bamba game most likely is gonna be in your national championship talk what about Georgia. They're on the other side, Broy on the other side, But.
Speaker 2: Would say, who We're gonna win? Kelly's in a sticky situation. Sticky situation, Bro, not because of the humidity and baton rude room and.
Speaker 1: Baton rouge dude, because hey, it's a winner. Go home around there, Bro.
Speaker 2: Truly national title in two thousand and seven, you got it before we got to put a stamp on. How is winning the Natty in college?
Speaker 1: Man? It was awesome, It was awesome. I was a red chirt freshman, so I got to say that. So I think it all goes back to, like, hey, you have kids. I don't have kids yet, but it goes back to your upbringing and your your childhood when you come in as a freshman and the first year that you get there, Matt Flynn, Jacob Hester, Bradon LaFell, Demetrius Bird, those guys lead you to a national championship against Ohio State. Beannie Wells big back. Love me some big backs. I'm a big back myself, So remember big backs like Beannie Wells, Ted Ginting Jr. You know they had a squad. But where did they play? They came down to New Orleans? Is it home cooking? Hey, we're gonna ball out for our people. Didn't feel like a home game every time, Bro, it is home. It's an hour down the road. So if you got to see the Tigers in New Orleans, good luck.
Speaker 2: Now, would you take the would you guys take the Mississippi River or would you take a bus, because you could take the river from Baton Rouge all the way down, Bro, that'd be real festive, real festive. Would you imagine? Could you imagine a steamboat you guys are on. That'd be fucking hard lsu Tigers on the fucking steamboat coming down coming off the boat, Bro, like a bunch of bikers or something. I'm just saying, I think that's what they should do. Like a Viking, Hey, look at that? Would that would be kind of tight?
Speaker 1: A Southern Viking, bro we ride in by boat to any of the home games, close places.
Speaker 2: That'd be intimidated. If I was a Northern team and I saw a fucking steam a riverboat, steamboat whatever they call him, fucking like with a casino on there, coming with a whole bunch of crazy dudes trumpets and ship and a bunch of beads coming everywhere, I would fuck intimidate me. I think you guys need to do it.
Speaker 1: Could y'all tell this guy just left Marty girl in new orders for.
Speaker 2: The san Did he get it?
Speaker 1: Did he get a taste of the South?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: I went to Louis Armstrong Park, No big deal, fucking I'd walk through that bitch. That ship was sick. Took a picture, took a couple of pictures of statues me and Louis.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, look.
Speaker 2: Classic. Classic. I don't even know what to say.
Speaker 6: Right, I can't even it was awesome looking back at the seven LSU season because yeah, it was a two lost championship game, but the championship team, but those two losses triple overtime against Arkansas and then against Kentucky were some wild games that are totally in like games with names level memorable moment.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's now you say that. The Kentucky game where we went up there. I remember that being the prettiest grass I'd ever seen in my life, bro, But it was like really thick. Remember how Bill told us to London bring your spikes. I got benched that game, by the way, for not having my spikes. But when I went to Kentucky it really was like this thick.
Speaker 2: Grass Kentucky Blue Bubs, but they call it.
Speaker 1: It's awesome up there.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 1: The weather was nice, it was Chris, but we were the big dogs coming in. Never really underestimated anybody, but.
Speaker 4: Yere was that.
Speaker 2: So that was year we played them. I played him and we almost beat them. Yeah, yeah, I went I went crazy. We went to kent State, went to Kentucky. I think we were tied up halftime, and then they blew the Brakes office at the.
Speaker 1: End of the wouldn't Randall Cobb was that? Randall Cort was.
Speaker 2: There and the number four who was the tall Woodson the quarterback.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 2: Almost beating them is fifty six twenty. No, but we were at for King State, for Kent State, for Kin State. Hey, we were tied at halftime, bro, good fight? Or were we up at halftime?
Speaker 1: But they were?
Speaker 2: They look fourteen fourteen and a half. That was huge. We went up fourteen. Oh, I think we were balling. I was balling. Come on, No, you didn't know.
Speaker 6: You went seven oh and then they scored. Then they went up fourteen seven and then you tied it late.
Speaker 2: Hey, I mean that's resilient. That's called answering. That's building the lead. That's just a young Okay, we ran our bodies, bro.
Speaker 1: Y'all want to us enough?
Speaker 2: Jules?
Speaker 6: The stat line twelve for twenty eight for one hundred and twenty nine yards, touchdown, an interception.
Speaker 2: What was my rushing? Twenty four attempts one to thirty five?
Speaker 1: There you go, getting active on the wheels, buck active. See I'm talking about Hey, I didn't even know this cat play quarterback until you know. I got to talk to him a little bit. But hey, can't take it from him. Can't take it from him. He don't get it done one way or the other. They don't have a special teams receive a quarterback they give a joker the ball, let him do what he does.
Speaker 2: You you're a hunter. We're talking about Louisiana. You love the fucking outdoor shit. Do you ever hunt to with Matt Light?
Speaker 1: I have not hunted with Matt like yet. Me and Matt had talked about it a million times. You went to the shootouts, right, I went to his deal that he has up in Rhode Island. Yeah, the shootout man, they shootout made it one time. He had freaking army tanks and all kind of crazy stuff there. I got to get on the books with Matty, like.
Speaker 2: He's having something come up soon for I mean, Matt raises his money for everything. Yeah, but it's something for the Matt Loup Foundation.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Were you there when we found out he was hunting on the property.
Speaker 1: No, but I did see that video and as a true hunter at heart, he's brilliant because animals always find less pressured areas, meaning they're gonna go where they're not gonna be shot at. So of course they're going to camp out around the stadium where they think nobody's gonna kill him. In a real killer like Matt Light's like, huh, I know there's something in here, So hey, I tip my hat to Matty Ikes for that, because hey, bro, somebody's got to get it done.
Speaker 2: What are your thoughts on the Rabel higher man.
Speaker 1: Rabel coming back? I look at it, man, former player, just say with Mayo. You know, Mayo got his one year in, but I just always pull for any coach that was a former player, especially if it's New England, you know what I mean. So Rabel did this thing down in Tennessee. He had a little stint there and I think he ran a good program. But uh, you know, for the organization, and you know this rebuilding phase that we're in. Nobody likes to say it, but it's the reality. You know, we're in a rebuilding stage our time there. The dynasty is definitely dead and gone, and so when you look at Rabel and him coming in, I'm not shocked by the hire at all. I think that they're going to try to piece together a few old names that are familiar and then probably get some new juice in there as well. But I think overall, it is what it is, man. It's it's a tough business to be in.
Speaker 2: Did you never played with Rabes? Neither did I? But what do you what do you remember hearing about Rabes like legend in the locker room. Did you ever hear about him anytime in the locker room or or the facility A little bit.
Speaker 1: I heard about him. I heard that he really was not a man that gave too many fucks about anything, Like he was kind of like outspoken.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like he was a challenger. He challenged guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I've heard that about him. I've only met him like once or twice, but I heard he was just that that attitude that you need in the locker room, you know what I mean? That was that was him.
Speaker 2: So it worked you, but and if you didn't work to his Like I remember hearing that ship. I think it's a great hire. I feel bad for Mayo of course, man, of course.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: With all that said, Raybels brought a team in Nashville to a one seed with Tannehill as the starting quarterback Championship game. I know they had a generational running back with Derrick Henry, but the King like that's still that's they went to. There were one seed.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about running a program. You know, hey, look this and go back. I got it. I got to give it to Mayo. That's that's his first year in so I hope he doesn't count as so without I help nobody else in the league count himself. But that's his first swing at it. Vrabel has run a program, you know what I mean, And so when you look at that, it's like you can't discredit any about his body of work. And he's not a good body of work. So he's familiar with the Pats.
Speaker 2: He's like him. I like him with Mickey D's too, because Mickey D's is back. Josh McDaniels Gucci, I call him Gucci.
Speaker 1: Mickey D's man called him Gucci because Gucci loved to have me the ball every now and then. If it was up to Tom and Jewels and the big fellow grunk, guess what, they're gonna spin that bitch out there eighty times a game every now and then, Coach McDaniel sprinkle in a few runs for the kids.
Speaker 2: So I love you, Coach McDaniels. I love you, Josh, I swear I do. What about Matty p going to Ohio State d C.
Speaker 1: Just Hey, you just told me, you just told me the news. I didn't know that. We just saw Maddy P here a few weeks ago.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: So that's dope. Matty P is defensive guru man, and.
Speaker 2: I'm happy for him.
Speaker 1: Get it.
Speaker 2: You gotta get some good media. Everyone hates on him too much. He's a fall guy for a lot of shit, I think on Matty P. Yeah, Matty P, I wentn't on the defense side of the ball. We weren't on that side of the ball, so we might not have seen that side. Coach getting on him. They don't Matty P knows football, Yeah, he does do that now. He's got like a photographic memory, so like that means he can remember all the situations he's been in.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's a nerd and defenses and ship I mean, let's be real. I mean, he's a hell of a defence.
Speaker 2: I don't understand how a lot of people, like a lot of people hate on him.
Speaker 6: He's jumped on a lot of grenades too, and you know, not doing well in Detroit. People didn't like that, and then a narrative built.
Speaker 2: Yeah, done that, I mean, I guess.
Speaker 1: But the outside has always got something to say. Gats we know that, yeah, they really do. And I think everybody, you know, this coaching world is tough you know, I see so many players that are jumping into it and they want to run with it and do it. And hey, just because you know ball doesn't mean that you're necessarily a leader of men, you know. And that's what you got to look at with a coach. You know, you got all not only just have your football IQ up there. You got to be able to lead guys, motivate guys, know how to hit that switch when the back off. You know, it requires a lot. So I look at Maddi pe Matty. Pee's been coaching for how long? Probably as long as I've been alive, So he's more than qualified.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think that long.
Speaker 1: Twenty years.
Speaker 2: You're twenty eight.
Speaker 1: No, I'm not that young, bro.
Speaker 2: What did you say?
Speaker 1: He's probably been coaching as long as I've been alive. That was sarcasm, But I'm just saying, like he's been coaching a long time. Would you just say him coaching twenty years?
Speaker 2: I was about to say twenty eight, like I've been thirty five years. He's been coaching thirty five years?
Speaker 1: Has he?
Speaker 2: I don't know how you're thirty. Seve just turned thirty shitty close enough close, and let's just do math. That's the Matty p thing to do. I'm doing the math checking you.
Speaker 1: So I think that's fair. But I think Ohio State they got they got a hell of a higher Bro. I mean, on the highest level. You look at the time that we were in New England and he was calling the shots. Our defense was strong, Bro, Look at that. Let's just talk about his defenses a little bit. Look at that linebacker court we had to bang it out with every day, with Brandon Spikes and Jamie Collins and Dante Hottawer and and Rob Ninkovich. Do you know what I mean, Big V in the middle, Devin mccordy, Patrick Chung. I mean, it's like, does he know talent?
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 1: I mean, so get him on the college level. Let's see what he can do with some kids that a commit he can do. Come on up, you know what I mean? So good Gay, Good for Maddy p Man. Congratulations.
Speaker 2: Hey yeah.
Speaker 6: I think Chip Kelly, one year offensive coordinator now is the offensive coordinator for the Raiders.
Speaker 2: So Higo State's a pipeline he bounce around. Bro. Oh of State really is like stepping Matt for guys like to get there. It's the New Alabama Nick Saban.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then Herb wasn't Herb there before he went back to it before he went back to Jacksonville. Ivermyer, Yeah, he was up there for a little bit and then he jumped to jackson Let's say you're right. It's kind of like a pipeline Fanoman coach tapeline.
Speaker 2: We spent some crazy times in fox brou You gotta I heard when you heard you were coming on you you got a little checklist of things you want to go over. What do you got pull? Bring out the list? Bring it. Let me see the list.
Speaker 1: Man, I'm gonna shoot. We got man, I got the list.
Speaker 2: You gotta hear. I can know you got rid. You put out on a notesap which I have. I have a notes tap that I put a password to and I don't know how to find the password. I'm never gonna be able to get the notes, and I need these notes. I can't have you tried to squirrel eleven. I don't know, dude, I've put in all of I can't remember what state of mind I was when I did this. Locked yourself out, but I'm locked out. I need the fucking info. I feel like the guy from bitcoin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's funny.
Speaker 2: See this list.
Speaker 1: What do we got, man? We pulled up a list man I had. I had my best friend, man marketing agent. You didn't see Red without Moose. Moose has been around since day one. If y'all know any of Jills's best buds, Man, me and Moose are been rocking since college. Bro. We came to the first college class together at LSU. He's from rust and Louisiana.
Speaker 2: Ethiopian.
Speaker 1: Yes, well no, but it's the same close close enough, cluse enough man East. I mean, he's he's freaking as good as gold.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 1: But Moose sent me some stuff. He's like, rid, you're going Toto.
Speaker 2: The episode got some stewing, some of that that sour dough. Uh, it's like a sour dough.
Speaker 1: You put that season in in that gumbow is what he did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're talking about Ethiopian style food. Oh oh yeah, because we just went to his wedding. It's like it's like a stew and you have like a sour dough. The brand, the brand, Yeah, it's like it's not Peter, but it's it's Delici in Jarra and jar Remember we had that his wedding was cool. They had like traditional like Ethiopian. Dan came out in the all the all his family members were all in like traditional African you know stuff. It was crazy and it was beautiful at the top.
Speaker 1: Of freaking New York City where York, My boy, you came a long way. I gotta go ahead and give you a shot out. Him came a long way from Russell Louisiana and Moose and me have been hand in hand every step of the way since I first talked to Jules. He's been around. But he just sent me some little pointers that we're gonna have to talk about because he was like, were talking about what game and he was like, Man, make sure y'all throw this in because me and Jewels got more stories probably off the field on the field, but uh hey, we got we got some time to get into that. We go to the list, man, I guess we'll start with how Bill put me in fat camp, you know, like when I was overweight coming in as a running back, and uh, do you want to go ahead.
Speaker 2: And elaborate on that? Stores man, heavyweights? Man did he bring in Ben Stiller, Tony Tony Perkins bro to one of those deals Bill Chicks is Tony Perkins right now.
Speaker 1: Man, you get to New England and of course you're going in there and it's Bill Belichick and Bill's intimidating, bro Like, you gotta give it to him, man, like, he's he knows what he's doing. He's got a system in place, and you don't mess with him, you know what I mean, You just don't you respect him. You're in the presence of one of the greatest to ever do it, if not the greatest coach ever do it. I'm gonna give him his man he is because I played for a lot of ball coaches. But you know, you have that meeting where you come in there and you're a rookie. He gives you your playing weight. And he brought me into the office because I go to the weight room and coach Nash hop on the scale, really and I hopped on the scale?
Speaker 2: How much was it?
Speaker 1: And I'm leaving about.
Speaker 2: Two thirty five, two thirty eight somewhere the year is this rookie year.
Speaker 1: It's my rookie year.
Speaker 2: So he came in at two thirty eight.
Speaker 1: Came in. I played at LSU around two thirty you know what I mean. Like as a running back.
Speaker 2: But eight pounds is eight pounds.
Speaker 1: Eight pounds is a lot, Bro, eight pounds is a lot, and you wait till the story.
Speaker 2: Just go because you'll understand what's the weight, what's the way.
Speaker 1: So Nash gets in there coaching. Nash is our string coach, and he's like, really, hop on the scale. So I hop on the scale. I think I was tipping that thing at between two thirty five two forty sec running back between the tackles. I'm a big bat. Hey, I obviously did something right because Coach, you drafted me.
Speaker 2: Like what you saw.
Speaker 1: Nash is like Ridley, you got some work to do. I'm like, all right, you know, I ain't scared of work. Coach said, you gotta be at two twenty. I said two twenty. How I said, Nash, you're tripping. I talked to you're tripping, Bro. I said, nah. He said, don't ask me. I'm just telling you what the boss man said. And I said, well, which boss man we talking about? He said, you can go see the head man if you want to. There. I went, you know what I mean, like, what's the problem. I gotta go talk to coach and see what's up? Because what reason.
Speaker 2: So you went from weight room. Yeah, you took that long ass walk down those hallways to that entry door, and you saw Bears cross Bearge's office. I said, Bears is coach available? And I didn't think I was doing anything wrong.
Speaker 1: I might have been getting off on the wrong foot with Bill Belichick because here I am, as a rookie walking into his office trying to tell him what my playing weight would be.
Speaker 2: But what do I know.
Speaker 1: I'm a rookie, guys, you know what I mean. I'm just coming in, like, coach, come on. So Nash is telling me, I'm two thirty five on a light day, two forty if I finished leaving the breakfast buffet, eat my bacon and omelets and grits that I get every day. So he's like, we want you too twenty by a certain day. I can't even remember what he said, so I was like, man, that's impossible. I was like, there's no way I'm gonna be able to do that. So I walked back. I said, all right, coach, Nash, I'm head on up to go talk to Bill to see what's up, see if I can kind of work this out.
Speaker 2: He thought, you're going in there and negotiate a couple of pounds. Go talk to coach. Coach, you give me two to twenty eight.
Speaker 1: Hey, anything we beat it? Can we meet in the middle. And y'all when I tell y'all, coach is.
Speaker 2: So paint the picture? You walk in? What's it? Where's he is? He at his desk at his computer.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I leave, I leave our weight room, walk through the locker room, go buy our meeting the room, go down the all way. And of course I'm not really.
Speaker 2: As scared or because you don't know yet.
Speaker 1: I don't know yet. That's what I'm saying. Like I'm not as I'm naive. I'm you're gonna talk to Bill. Talk to Bill, you know, like not talk.
Speaker 2: Hey, truly, what I look back on things now, I was walking by you in the hallway as a second year or third year guy, just like what a dumb ass. So I cut out of the hallway.
Speaker 1: You saying all this to say, I have seen I want to get too far off track, but I've seen rookies, y'all, Like on my back end because I was there for four years, I've seen rookies come in and see Bill coming down the hallway, and they would literally like just bust the left or right into a random meeting room because they don't want to look this man in his eyes. Bro Like Sill comes down the hallway. I'm not making this up cut sweatshirt. It's like he's been in his office for three days. People are like, you know what I mean. So I walked down there and I'm like, hey, Bears, you can't get to Bill without going through Bears. But if you make that right into that office, you better have a damn good reason to go in there. And I had a damn good reason that day, coach, because I can't drop all this weight. How you try to get me to drop it? Let me show you how much he cared. I walked in, I.
Speaker 2: Said, coach, and he's at his death.
Speaker 1: He's at his desk. He's sitting at his desk behind his deck. I said, coach could come in and sit down. He said, yeah, Rid, come on in and sit down. Okay.
Speaker 2: Did he know you were coming or is he blindsided?
Speaker 1: He was blindsided? He was blindsided. Bears let me in.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Bears Check said, you know Steven's here to talk to you.
Speaker 2: Did you tell Bears while you were talking to him? I can't really remember those details. I definitely what did Bear did? Just there's you go? Sure? Bears looked at me. I guess I walked in.
Speaker 1: I was like, Bears his coach available, and he kind of looked up and I was like, I just need to talk to him real quick. I guess nothing.
Speaker 2: So Bill's sit you down.
Speaker 1: And when I walk in there, Bill's sitting behind his desk and he's like, come on in and sit. So I walked in and sat. I was like, what you got real? Said coach? Uh, I need to talk to you about this weight. I was like, I just waited, you know, and uh, Coach Nash told me at the weight that you have told him that you want me to play at. And I'm just making sure this is the right weight and this is not like a mistake like and he said, what's the number? I can't really remember what I had and nada YadA. I said, well, the number is.
Speaker 2: You could have gone right there. If you wanted to make the decision, you could have said to twenty five, because you if you if he didn't remember the weight, maybe he would have agreed at to twenty five. All right, you messed up? Go ahead?
Speaker 1: Should I should have had a better negotiation tactic, as though what Juill said. But I'm just in there trying not to die and starve myself out at this rate. So I go in and I say, well, coach, uh this weight that you want me at? I said, Coach Nash said, you want me at two twenty And I said that's impossible. So I'm just telling you right now, I don't know what it is. And I said, I don't know how you want me to get there. I said, I'll bust my ass and do whatever. But I'm like two twenty. I said, can I just tell you a little bit about me? Like like he doesn't already know you drafted me. The Patriots investigate everybody. They know everything about you before they even get you in the building. So I said, Coach, what did he say?
Speaker 2: I tell you about me?
Speaker 1: I said, can I tell you about me? And he was like sure, you know he's just dry, you know, he's not too much. I pulled out my driver's license and I pulled out my drivers It's true story. I pulled out my driver's license. I said, Coach, look, look, I just I just want to show you this, I said, Coach, and I promise this true store. I said, I just want to tell you, like, if you can look at my driver's license. I slid it on his desk. You know, I'm bold as a rookie. And he's like, what it was, this clown? You know what I mean? I said, these numbers that are on my driver's license from when I got my permit in high school to before I even got a driver's license, my permit, and on my permit at fifteen and a half years old, I was five eleven two hundred and twenty pounds. That's how much I weighed in high school. So I said, coach, you mean to tell me that you want me to drop from two thirty eight all the way down to two twenty And he looked at me and he said, kind of smacked those lips. Well read, I mean, really, I think it's only about five hundred and sixty three dollars per pound per day that you're overweight, So it's really up to you. And I said what, I'm like, what do you mean? He was like per pound per day and he doubled down on it. I was like, I can do quick math, bro, I'm third round draft pick. I ain't got money like that, So fat Camp I went, you know what I mean, I'm like, screw it, coach, you know what I mean. If that's how we're gonna go about it, there's nothing not going to do.
Speaker 2: What's fat camp until.
Speaker 1: So fat Camp consisted of me coming in once I had to drop from two thirty eight to my weight when I was fifteen years old of two. It required me changing my diet with our beautiful nutrition Ted. First, Ted put me on this strip died. I had to come into fat Camp, which was running before practice. So we had to come in and either do our workout what like before practice in the mornings, or we had to go and do our workout after practice once we got off the field. I was always an early riser, so I came in early in the morning. So fat Camp I was basically in there with all the guys who were overweight that we're trying to cut weight. So I would have to go in every morning and I'm talking about it's still dark outside at five am and just hit the treadmill and run. And so that was the first time that I really I think the structure and I look back on that' like that structure and that discipline it. It made me a good pro because I legit dropped this weight for the simple fact that I was not gonna give up my money. And let's do the math. If I'm two thirty eight and the weight is two twenty, let's do that times five hundred and sixty three bucks times eighteen per day. Like my paychecks is gonna be pretty thin. You know, the Massachusetts state taxes weren't too forgiving, you know what I mean. I don't need to be giving away any extra eight.
Speaker 2: Point three now six point eight. It used to be there's some new shit.
Speaker 1: Something crazy. So I got on board with the program and coach didn't really like yell at me or nothing like that. But I don't know if I kind of rubbed them the wrong way from jump, but it was just like one of those deals. It shook me up as a rook. I'm like, how in the hell am I about to drop twenty pounds or twenty five pounds and you want me to run between the tackle bang it out with the Brandon Spikes of the worlds and the dry Males of the world linebackers at two fifty five?
Speaker 2: Were you were? You? Were you better? Two twenty as quick as a cat freaking nasty dude.
Speaker 1: Like what once I got to that playing weight up, Like, hey, you know Bill knows what the hell he's talking about.
Speaker 2: Who with you, dude? I think big Marcus Cannon was in Cannon the scale. Remember that one time Marcus Cannon, he used to have to weigh in all the time. He was always in fact can. He was just using fo all the time. Huge And he would go in and he would do it with a towel on his weight, and then he'd have a pencil right like here so he could leverage himself up. Huh. Yes, he could lean on it and lift it up and he would fucking make it. They caught him like three times. Kenny used to have to he was in fact camp like his whole career.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a grime, bro, because people don't really realize. It's like, man, once coach sets this, you know coach had just closed up either, No, that is your weight. So my four years in New England, I played it two twenty. But Bro, I never was like a top end guy. I never had like breakaway speed. So I always prided myself on living by five yards of carry, Like if I get five yards. Every time I touch his pill, that's halfway to a first down. I can bang it out with whoever DB's safeties. I used to hit those motherfuckers like speed bumps, bro, Like I wasn't even worried about. I was just downhill with it. But once you go out to the league and you had to lose that weight, you know, you became more of a pro, you know what I mean. And so Bill went back and after we didn't get the negotiation the first time, I think it was about halfway through the season, I'm like, coach, can I get a couple pounds, give me a little bit here there? He still didn't lighten up. But it was just like I learned to respect that, bro, don't question just do you know what I mean? Because it made me a hell of a running back, It really did, and I would have never been there. I never even thought about playing that light because I didn't think I had to pop behind my pads to be a first and second down back and a short yardage back like I was. But I was wrong.
Speaker 2: I can say that he's probably at that point in his career seeing about a thousand to year.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, correct, And that's the weight that he wants to me.
Speaker 2: He's seen the herschel them all.
Speaker 1: Seeing him all bro, so he wasn't worried about what I thought. You know, you just shut up rid and get on the field.
Speaker 2: We had to bleep a story from Bears that he didn't want out there. Can you can you? Can you talk about this story that I think you the gun story? What did we call this story?
Speaker 1: I'm a murderer story. Okay, this is how this goes down.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: As you'll can see on my hat, man, I'm a hunter dude through and through once. I love ball, I love killing greenheads.
Speaker 2: Your instagram is a dead duck museum.
Speaker 1: There's a dead duck museum. Shout out two four seven hunt. That's my guys, man. I found my family outside of my football family, with my homies.
Speaker 2: I gotta hear you love the Second Amendment.
Speaker 1: I gotta have it. I gotta have it, bro, Like I am a patriot to the heart. What do you mean my Second Amendment right? So give me my guns, give me my suppressors, give me my thermals. I love to hunt hogs at night. I love to shoot green heads in the swamp. It's just what we do, you know, what I mean. When im from Mississippi, born on the Mississippi River, there's nothing to do out there but hunt, fish, playball, race some cars, race some bikes, do some stuff that's gonna be fun because there is no city. We're in the sticks, so you gotta have it. But going back to this story, my other best friend, Moose is my road dog, my other roommate in college. His name is Jared Ee and he's from my hometown and his uncle is a zydeco legend. Zydeco music is a music that is played in the South. Correct me if I'm wrong. I don't know the exact details, but it's just kind of a mix of country and.
Speaker 6: Creole African American style music, rhythm and blues.
Speaker 1: Love this guy because you're looking out for me. But zydeco is very rich in the rodeo community of the South, and so my buddy's family. My first four years in the league, I think they had this Zydigo festival going on in our hometown and so in this in when Zydego would come around, Bro, you would have lines down the hallway of people bringing in their horse trailers, bringing in their buggies. They had a drag strip set up. They had a rodeo ring, and Rid was the big dog coming back to the hometown. I'm rolling in with freaking all the quads on the trailer, big lifted trucks. You know I'm coming in. The homies are stopped stepping out. Somebody told me the other day and said, man, Rid, I'll never forget when you pulled up the zydago, you had about eight bikes on the trailer, and I'm just wondering where the fuck are all the riders at, Like I have more toys and just shit because I was a country kid that had made it. What else do you expect from somebody from the South.
Speaker 2: So how lifted was the truck?
Speaker 1: Oh? Bro, we're up there. We're probably eight or ten inches riding on forties, twenty fours on forties. I'm gonna say this, I was the first person. You're gonna make me tap into my roots, bro, But I was the first person to drop a Dodge Commings engine and Afford F two fifty and then put an Alice in transmission in the power trucks country.
Speaker 2: So I'm throwing dodging the Ford and Fording mixed all three and I got the best of both worlds, of all three worlds. But back to the I'm a murderer story.
Speaker 1: We pull up to Zydago, and we pulled up to Zaydago. Like I say, it's a bunch of country folks rodeo riding bikes. What else do y'all think is out there? Guns? Of course, So as people are going into the Zydago, we've already parked and set up our deal. My buddy got a new pistol. My buddy Jared got a new pistol. He's the one that's running the festival in his backyard. We're sitting in his backyard. He has some targets set up where he sights in his rifle, sights in his pistols, whatever it is.
Speaker 2: Legal.
Speaker 1: We're out of the city limits in Mississippi. As long as you're out of the city limits, you can blaze like freaking you're sick of the sam I mean, it's like whatever you want to do. But we have the target set up, and of course Moos is filming and catching this because me and my partner are sitting there side by side, ear muffs on, shooting the targets. And I put a Rick Ross song because I've been playing with the social media way too long, long enough to get me in trouble. But I put a Rick Ross song behind it, Black Coffins, and it's in the name of the song was a hundred Black Coffins and it's by Rick Ross, and I put it in black and white. So it's like in this like slow mowing, and you just see me and my buddy up here shooting these targets and I literally just unloaded bah bah blah and probably missed the target every time. But I caught the video and I posted it on my social media. No big deal until Bears rings my damn phone and I'm like, this has never happened before, and why is he calling me?
Speaker 2: So Bear's cause me says, is it you have him saved in the phone? Or is it just random Bear's Nigerian.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I pronounced that the right way. Bill's secretary is what was in my phone. It's still in there right now. So when I saw this name come across my phone, my heart just hit my stomach and I'm like, this ain't good.
Speaker 2: How long after the post.
Speaker 1: Thirty minutes, it was like no time, I'm like to say that, hey, the page got like the FBI, broy, they don't miss nothing, okay. So he called me and I answered phonem like hello, he said, Rid, I said, what's up, bears, He says, coach wants to speak with you, Like all right, So I sat on the phone. Bill gets on the phone and he I guess he hops on and I was like hello, and Coach says Rid. I say, y'all gonna have to edit this because my mom's gonna punch me in the face for using this language. But you know, Bill loved them f bombs rick. Coach goes, Rid, just what the fuck are you doing? And I'm like, what you mean, Coach, the freaking post that you just put up there? Really think about it, man, you're unloading a freaking pistol on a video on your socials. I mean, we just had a guy I arrested. Give me a fucking break, I said, damn, Coach, like I wouldn't even thinking about it that way. You know, I'm just back home chilling with the boys, shooting targets. Better yet, just don't even bring your ass back up here. I was like, whoa that just get cut? Like how does this go down? So I looked at my boy, and I'm like, oh, I don't know if I got fired or not, Like, what's good?
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 1: So Bill hung up the phone or we kind of had some choice words. No, before he hung up the phone, we're gonna cut this part, but I got to condet this sort. See, y'all just choose if y'all want to say it or not. But when he told me, he said, just don't even bring your ass back up here, I'm like, oh wow. So automatically I went into coach. I have the utmost respect for you. I did not know that I had messed up that bad. I said, there's targets in the background. We weren't doing anything wrong. I said, you're comparing me to a murderer because I'm shooting targets in the backyard. I said, but either way, I hear you, I will not be back there, and I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: Let you know this.
Speaker 1: My faith is in Godden upstairs. I said, this is not the end of my career. If I am cutting. I hung up the phone. It was probably a dumb move to do that. But you hung up, bro, because I was like, I was blown away, Like you just called me a freaking murderer because I'm shooting at targets in the backyard. This is what we do on a regular bro, Like, this is life. So I hung up and probably wasn't the swartest thing to do, and within like I would say, thirty to an hour, I got another phone call and it was Bill and he says, you know what better Yet when you come here, do not even stop at my office. He says, you go straight upstairs and see Robert. I'm like, Robert, Robert, mister crab. I'm like, oh my god.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 1: Like, I'm like, I don't know. I don't know what. Like, I don't know how this goes. Because Bill, whether y'all know it or not, Bill moves the needle on everything round there. He's making all the calls for him to push me to the big Dog. I'm like, bro, I'll just stay in Mississippi. Hey, bro, I'll take the first off. Shit, how about that? Let me just stay right here where you told me to stay. So, Man, I call Moose. I'm like, moos, bro let me, I said, guess what? So I told him. Moose was like, I told you not to post that video.
Speaker 2: Rid dah da da da I'm like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Him? Like? Either way, he told me, don't even come back, and then he told me to go see mister Kraft. Like, Bro, what the hell am I gonna do? Like, I don't know what's gonna go down. So a few weeks went by, we had to come on in for camp and stuff, and I showed up on the first day and I did, like Coach said, it's simple instructions. I just took my ass on the stairs. Where's mister Kraft's office? Scared to death, man, heart beating. I didn't know what to expect. So walk on in end and I'm on eggshells And first time I'm going to mister Craft's office. He's got like all this Patriot memobilia paper stacked up to here on the desk, and he's like the most soft spoken, nice guy ever. And I'm like, am I about to see his dark side?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: What is what is this?
Speaker 2: What's going to happen? So I'm talking he sit down and mister Kraft's at the desk.
Speaker 1: Bro. I come in. I'm sitting on the desk, bro, And I'm.
Speaker 2: So he does he like when you come in? Does someone tell him that you're coming in, uh, mister Stevens here.
Speaker 1: I don't remember that point he did.
Speaker 2: He did, He have glasses on and raise his head up to you and noses down a little.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no no. He met me at the door, and I kind of remember that slow motion walk in there, you know what I mean, Like, I don't know if it could be my last walking Patriots Stadium? Is this going to be like a little talk? Am I gonna be suspended? But I'm just walking in there, and the whole time my back's to him. I'm like, I don't even know what I'm gonna say. Like, so I'm just coming in. I don't even know where to sit. So he walks around his desk, He's like, come on in, take a seat, you know, super nice, And I just sit down and I'm like, how are you, mister Kraft. He was like I'm okay, I'm okay, how are you? And I'm like in trouble. Obviously I'd have messed up. He was like, look and he kind of looked at me, and he looked over at the door and he got up again or whatever. It made sure the door was closed, and I'm like, oh shit, like I'm just like literally sliding down to my seat. I'm like, bro, you blew it. You straight up blew it. He says, Look, Stephen, we love you. Here said your great patriot says, you're a good kid. He was like, sometimes Bill can be a little bit harsh, and my heart just I was like, hell, yeah, yeah, Bill can be a little bit hard. I'm like yeah, and I'm not saying too much, but in my mind I'm like, yeah, he can be, but I'm not trying to piss him off or step on the toes. And he's like, let me tell you a little story, like storytime. Cool. So at least I'm not pack up your shit and get out of here, like I least some whole nom. So he was like, I'm gonna tell you about the time that my family was born and raised in the Northeast. But I had a daughter. I can't remember exactly what he said, ya, because I was scared out of my mom. I had a daughter that was dating a guy either married a guy from the South, and he said it was the wildest thing to me. And he's just talking so slow, and I'm like, get to the point. Am I cut?
Speaker 2: Am I fired?
Speaker 1: Am I saved? Like, what's well. I had this daughter, and you know, I went down to visit her significant other's family and we went to church together. After church, everybody left church and came back to the house and they cooked food and they're hanging out just like country folks do. Like that's what we do every Sunday. It's like you're in the Lord's house. First, you're gonna eat some good grub and you're gonna spend time with the family. And this was his first time, I guessed to Texas. So he was saying how he got there. They went to church, they ate food, and he said, and the next thing I know, he says, I look up and I see the little kids on the back porch, and he says, Steven, they all have guns. It blew my mind to see these little kids actually doing what they were doing, comfortable with firearms. They weren't hurting anybody. But he was like, it's just the difference of the culture. I'm like, preach, mister Kraft. Yes, he was like, so Bill might not necessarily understand what's going on and where you're from, but you have to be aware of the time and the pressure that the team is under. And he's like, I think that's what Bill was trying to tell you. And I said maybe so. Hoh, so I'm not cutting by fired yet. So he said, well, here's what I'm going to tell you. You make sure when you go back down there, you go see coach because he told you to come straight and see me, right And I said, yes, sir, and I said, that's exactly what I did. He says, you make sure you go right back to coach and tell him that I got on you hard.
Speaker 2: I was like, what, I got the pass. I'm good.
Speaker 1: He's like, tell him I got on you hard, and he said, this is between us. He was like, I know you didn't mean bad, but he was like the team is really under a microscope right now. And he broke it down like that grandpa, you know what I mean, and just kind of comforted me because I did. I messed up, you know what I mean. Like we had the team and everything that was going on with Chico. It's like we had this negative light on us and me being young and dumb. I'm out there shooting guns in the backyard and an older Stephen Ridley now looking back, I'm like, like Jules said her, like, how dumb can you really be you know what I mean, Like it's just but with age comes maturity, you know what I'm saying. And so when I look at it, I was like, oh shit, you know, like I really did almost messed it all up. So when I went back to Bill, I went back to coach and said, Coach apologized first. When I walked in there again, I'm sorry, didn't be doing it. I swell up there and talked to mister Kraft. He gave me his two cents. I understand where y'all are coming from. Whatever my punishment is, it's my punishment conduct detrimental, big fine, you know what I mean. Like I think it was probably what like sixteen seventeen check something like that, you know what I mean. It was a chunk.
Speaker 2: It's a game check, and you know, Bill hit me with it.
Speaker 1: You know, it wasn't gonna be a free off. But to this day, Bill didn't know the words that we exchanged in that office. But mister Kraft really just put it in perspective for me to help me realize without the F bombs, without telling me never to come back to Foxborough. So it was just to have that dynamic that I kind of found some middle ground between the two and I was somewhat safe. I am forever thankful for for mister Kraft in the organization because he's he's the man for that, truly, misir.
Speaker 2: I've had one of those conversations with the Craft as well. Scary, but like you said, his wisdom pours out and he doesn't. He doesn't. It's not he's not there to punish you. He's there to fix a problem, yes, and help you get through it. Yes, Yes, because that's what I felt. Yes, And that's what it sounds like what he made you feel comfortable. Yes, he tried to recognize the problem. Yes, and then you know, it's a good, good, good way of going about it. I mean, there's a good cop back up. But on a serious question, before the video got taken down, how many likes did it have?
Speaker 1: Man? It was booming, dude, it was freaking booming. Like I ain't gonna lie because hey, you know, social media's come a long way. But like it's funny now because bro, I look up and Bill's got a Instagram and Facebook and Tom's got one. Bro, they were not even thinking about this shit back in the day. Like it was like a curse. So I really like I was playing on the ground, Jules was playing on the ground a little bit. We were all kind of doing our things, the young guys were, but like for them, that was like the enemy. Yeah, because Bill's typical saying that. He told everybody, when you come in, put everything in a drawer. We don't give the media nothing, you know what I mean. We put all of our problems, but all your bullshit aside. It's about the Patriot organizations, about football. We don't care if you got deals off the field. We don't care what you're trying to promote. Hey, bro, if it ain't football and this silver helmet, I'm not concerned with it. So it's just crazy to see him now because I see him on to evolve.
Speaker 2: He's got to evolve, and he evolved.
Speaker 1: But I think I was just a little bit too early, Bro, I was too early. I was causing problems for myself and didn't even realize it.
Speaker 2: But I got it that day.
Speaker 1: I definitely got it that day.
Speaker 2: Messed up so and shooting guns. That's what we do. We'll be right back after this quick break. Let's go back to December tenth, twenty twelve, and hit the pop culture around the game time. Number one movie was The Hobbit. Do you ever see that parts part that long too? You're a big Hobbit guy, Kyler? Right, well, I just looked like the dwarf. No, you like that kind of stuff. I like Lord of the Rings movie. Yeah, that's what I mean. I didn't like the Hobbit movie. Like it's the same. I know you read the books, No I didn't. I don't read, but that's a I give the illusion that I read, but I don't actually read. Well. The number one song Diamonds by Rihanna, We all remember that.
Speaker 1: Brad like a diamond. That was a banger.
Speaker 2: That was a banger. Is that the Yeah, my daughter still loves that.
Speaker 1: That's a banger.
Speaker 2: Stoo a game in style? Yes? Why ci?
Speaker 6: I think cy five point four billion views on YouTube right now? Back in the gap today today? Oh wow, Yeah, huge video on YouTube all time.
Speaker 2: Wow. Silver Linings playbook, really good movie. Bradley Cooper was all over the super Bowl. He was at the Super Bowl. Do you get a Philly cheese steak from him? I went to Angelo's in Philly, which I think he bases his cheese steak off of spectacular. I think it's called what is it, the sharp Cheddar sharp Cooper cheese. That's that's the cheese to you had a real Philly cheese. I haven't.
Speaker 1: We always made up to Philly? I think like preseason, you know what I mean? So I haven't remember.
Speaker 2: Are you there when Nico Kodovites took us to the Greek restaurant in Philly? Anytime every week, anywhere Nico would look for a fucking we'd go find one Greek restaurant and we'd be eating Greek food. Super Bowl Champion in twenty twelve, the Baltimore Ravens, Damn Man Natty Alabama? Oh so you do you hate? You hate Alabama?
Speaker 1: To my heart, bro, I did not rock with the Crimson and White at Oh. I just I put up with Hot Tower, you know what I mean? But he knows what it is right out of this day.
Speaker 2: What's the hate hierarchy for SEC teams from LSU?
Speaker 1: Alabama's number one?
Speaker 2: Alabama's one?
Speaker 1: Alabama?
Speaker 5: Is that?
Speaker 1: Is that? Robvalry? You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Would they say the same about you?
Speaker 1: They got to with Auburn. Auburn, come on, Cam Newton, the best thing to come out of there, smoking dude. He was a problem. Speaking from my day, our day, it was always l Subama, you know what I mean? Whoever won that game? So that was a hate. I would say Bama number one. Number two would be I would say Old Miss just because it was close. But that was always a hard fought game. Old Miss always played up, you know, even if they might not have a shot, you know, to do anything in the conference or whatever, they were always gonna play as hard.
Speaker 2: You know who would have ran all over you? Who at out from Oklahoma? The MVP of this year in the National Football Adrian Peterson would have ran all over LSU.
Speaker 1: He is the goat. That was one of my favorite running He.
Speaker 2: Was a monster. He was MVP. This is the last time. I think this is the last quarterback MVP this year Trophy winner Johnny Manzel, Johnny Johnny.
Speaker 1: Football, Johnny Football, Johnny Cash, However you want to go about it.
Speaker 2: What was life like for Ridding? Twenty twelve?
Speaker 1: Twenty twelve? Twelve twenty twelve was my big year, I think, wasn't it. I think that was my second year in the league. I want to say I ended up I was top five back that year. You know, and uh, that's when I kind of.
Speaker 2: Twelve hundred and sixty three yards twelve touchdowns.
Speaker 1: Were going crazy. We're going crazy, bro, you know it was. It was one of those deals that I kind of, your rookie year is your rookie year. But that second year when I started getting some real touches and I felt like I was actually having an impact and they're putting the ball in your hands and you know you're gonna get that love. It was one of those times where it just kind of the light bulb went off of my head. I have the best quarterback to ever play the game. We got some receivers out here who have a route tree, and Tom will just turn off one side of the field if he likes one look over there. So like it ran registered with me. Then nobody gave a shit about me being in the backfield, you know what I mean, Like they really didn't Versus me coming from LSU where we're two tight ends, we're full back. Everybody in the stadium knows we're about to do what run the football. So like twenty twelve was that year for me that it all kind of clicked and I realized that teams are scouting Tom Brady and our receivers for good cause because Tom had liked your ass up. So it's like, if I could do anything in the run game, it was enough, you know what I mean. But we had a hell of a run game. The big boys up front I think had been together for a little while because that's when Matt Light was there my rookie year and.
Speaker 2: He retired in the shower in the Super Bowl right next to me.
Speaker 1: So I think that year in twenty twelve, you know Big MANK, like, uh, that was one of my favorite people ever, Logan Mankins because big big MANK was like a road greater upfront. Man, we had an O line where that was just mean. Cannon was young, it was Ryan Wendell. We had Wendy up there, had Dan Conley up there, Nate Solder Solder Young over yup. So me and Nate came in together. But twenty twelve was the year that that kid really kind of got got going in the league man, and I knew that I was actually somebody, So that was a that was a big time for me.
Speaker 2: Man, When did you feel like you could stick in the NFL, I'd have to say after twenty twelve, twenty twelve.
Speaker 1: After twenty twelve, Man, I really say that's when I said that I really was a problem, you know, because I knew that we weren't. Really I'm not gonna say we didn't work on it. But like you say, Tom was we threw the ball, you know what I mean, We were past offense. So they just come in there and have that kind of success that year and have somewhat of a balanced offense. Man, I was just so fortunate to be a part of it, just to be able to be in the same backfield with twelve, you know what I mean. And for him to take the ball out of his hands when he can single handedly change the game or run a game and hand it off. Man, it's a lot. So I used to used to mess with Tom and tell him, man, like, hey, on the goal line, he would quarterbacks sneak. I'm like, you're two hundred million dollar man, just hand it back here. Let me go ahead and stick that thing in there. Tom didn't Harry's competitor.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 2: I just thought, is Logan Mankins in the Hall of Fame?
Speaker 1: He should be.
Speaker 2: He's not in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 1: He should be, right, he should be.
Speaker 2: He was the most. He was the probably the the the best lineman I played with.
Speaker 1: He was a dog man. Log was wrangler Boots paid.
Speaker 2: He should be in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 6: Hall of Fame has got some problems I gotta work through and Terry not getting in. Come on, what are we doing here?
Speaker 2: Didn't play that long though, but he had a high peak and making Gates wait a year not being first ballot. They got some stuff. But Lacker went to a Super Bowl? Did Keley with Cam? Yeah? Yeah, they're in the same they're they're like the same lay are in that same world bracket. Yeah, a lot of all pros to from should be in.
Speaker 7: I would think it was really good sideline the sideline like smart, Yes, Tampa two, he could play, he could, he could, he could cover you a little and I'm dropping back in the middle Ice remember watching the defense.
Speaker 1: We watched film on k be like thirty yards back and no time off the snap and coming down smacking folks. So yeah, he was he was a baller.
Speaker 2: But what was on your what was it? You have an eclectic taste of music? What was the pregame mix for Kid Rid in twenty twelve? What was it? The pregame mix man kid Rig. This kid Rid was like the young kid in the locker room with like the loud, freaking price speakers. He dyed his hair a certain color. He'd come in with like a diamond backpack on that he bought in London. Like what was on the pregame list.
Speaker 1: You leave out the jumpsuits in the one jumpsuits.
Speaker 2: Onesie and you hear them from give me three miles away when he rolls up because he's got the craziest exhaust system on his car. What is in the earphones before the game?
Speaker 1: To get kid Rig going, I brought Louisiana to Fox bro Bro. We were banging nothing but boosy. We were banging that Webbee, Big timers.
Speaker 2: Future. I would say, back then Future was hot brow.
Speaker 1: He was dropping hits, so he was doing this time.
Speaker 2: We did it. We did me and Future did ah. We didn't. We did a Zenya event together. Oh what Zenya is a suit company? I was he in person. I never met him, but we we talked. We didn't talk that much. We just got We just lost in the AFC Championship. It was for a super Bowl event for Zenya. I think, or it could have been Fashion Week and he was there.
Speaker 1: Well, dude, that was that was kind of what it was for me. It was like, uh, you know, I brought that. I brought that Southern flair to the locker room, you know what I mean, Like we believe coming out of l s U. Man, it was like, you look good, you play good. You gotta be swagged out, you know what I mean. You gotta have some good tunes and have the energy going. So I used to pull up the game day and the hummer, you know what I mean, subs going beating the block down, holler at my people at the gate, Oh what's up?
Speaker 2: And it was just always gear doing a donut in there for the crowd. Hey that's another story too.
Speaker 1: Man. Hey remember when we had the big snows. You don't remember, So we had the big Snow store.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and we were all just ripping donuts in the parking the parking lot. And I do that every snow it crashed in the markets Canadon, did you before the game? Before the game, we're out there just going nut before a game.
Speaker 2: I do like on a Friday when there's no one in there.
Speaker 1: I think it was like before I want to say it was before the game because we had the snows. When we're taking those back roads. You know where you go through Foxboro, you know you had the little houses and everybody was like lived next to each other. So it's like a caravan. All the boys were taking the back roads to get to the stadium. So I see this parking lot that hadn't been hitting, no tread, no tracking. There I'm like fresh powder, whip it right right there in the hummer and there I go. I'm smashing on it, doing donuts out there. And the funny thing is, I remember it clear as day Wes Welker's houses in the backyard and Canada. I'm with donuts out there, and all of a sudden, you see Walking's cannon come over the hill and his Toyota Tundra ramped over the hill and he's got pipes on his and he's like ah, And we're spinning out there and hitting them, just having a blast, until of course we lose control and I hit cannon and boom, smack it. And when I smacked it, I looked over and I swear you see the blind slide over like this, And Wes stuck his head out there and he was like, oh, y'all fucking idiots. He just closed the es and went on by his business. Because I really want to say it was either like before gave were apter it. But I remember seeing West the big old blue eyes, you know what I'm saying, Like he's looking out the blinds. It's like, man, who I didn't know if it was a neighborhood of West, Like, oh, y'all are fucking idiots. Dude. It was funny, but hey, we're having a good time. But that was that was our Foxborough days.
Speaker 2: So basically that story just told me that when Bill tells us before training camp, don't drive like a fucking idiot in Foxbrill he was talking to you.
Speaker 1: He was talking about me. Okay, he was talking about me. He was he was hey, and speaking of the driving, I mean, are we gonna bring up the.
Speaker 2: Riding days or what? Man, Yeah, we used to when we used to ride. Dude, kid Rid had side by sides, the toys, quads, all the toys and he lived where do you live?
Speaker 1: In uh Man North out of Borough and then moved to.
Speaker 2: Mansfield, Mansfield where we driving the telephone power line. The power lines they had like a track that would go for miles awesome. I remember going out, what time we rid and this guy's ripping these things like ninety miles an hour, like it's a doom buggy, getting like forty feet of air on these fucking banees.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 2: I'm like, what are we doing? We got OTA's tomorrow. I'm over here on a little dirt bike. I'm like, ah, right, I'm a Chuck Duce and I'll see you later.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 2: I drove back.
Speaker 1: Oh you and Dola mic yeah, you know what I mean. So it was like I had I had the boys. I had talked. I talked in the buying a side by side and a player scrambler, and I talked Dolan and Jewels into getting these pit bikes. You still have them? And so I pulled up on Jewels what six seven months ago? I'm like, bro, the pit bikes is still alive. He's like, yeah, Bro, I got him cranked it up and we're riding down the road here. But those were days.
Speaker 2: By the way, it fourteen years later, thank god, no, yeah, but thank god they were driving. I went and I was driving the thing and the sprocket. These things are made in China, so they are as cheap as they come and I've had to try to I've tried to get them fixed at like ten different dirt bike shops are like, yeah, bro, we're not working on that. I'm like, what are you talking about? He's like, nah, dude, what fuck that is? What is that thing? And so I've been like Jerry rigging this thing and trying to like get it right. And I'm driving and thank god, I was going slow at the time, but then the sprocket broke and it locked on me. I was thinking, what if I was going like fifty miles an hour with ten seconds before I.
Speaker 5: Was on the pavement, on the pavement, no over over, it would have been dead. Look, and then from that day on, no games with names, No games with names. Let's jump into this game.
Speaker 6: Okay, so let's get into the twenty twelve Houston Texans. The record was twelve and four. Head coach Gary Kubiak.
Speaker 2: Same staff. This is the same coaching staff that went to Denver, won a Super Bowl.
Speaker 6: Oh defensive coordinator Wade Phillips and off its quarter coordinator Rick Dennison. They traded DeMarco Ryans or Demiico Ryans, excuse me, head coach to Philadelphia.
Speaker 2: Some dudes in this team.
Speaker 6: Matt shop is the quarterback, Arion Foster, running back Andre Johnson's on this team. And when Daniels JJ Watt rookie season for Whitney Marcellus, they started out real hot and eleven and one until you know the game we're talking about here.
Speaker 2: What do you remember about this Houston team.
Speaker 1: Huh the letterman jacket, you know what I mean, that's about it. And uh, I do remember we pretty much had our way with him.
Speaker 2: I remember this week of the game plan anytime we would play these guys, especially this year in the next couple of years, with the number one thing was we had to block jj Watt.
Speaker 1: Yes, that was everything, or not even that. You remember, coach just made a straight called Gucci or coach McDaniels. Wherever jj Watt was lining up, it was just an automatic check. We were going to the opposite way, like we just weren't even gonna deal with them. So I do remember now you say about that game coming out in pregame, that was my first time. This is what twenty twelve, Yeah, so it's my second year in the league. Okay, let's give his dude his flowers too. I remember coming out there for pre game. I'm always juice stuff. I didn't really care, like I say, sc mindset, killer, be kill, we're out here. I looked at this dude, JJ Watt and when I tell you a freak man, this dude looked like a Gi Joe doll out of a freaking freaking what is the toy store? I'm serious, man, Like he had these big arms that are like bolted on the side of him. And this guy got the shirt cut off and he's running a cross field for the warm up. He's a monster, but a grown ass man. Bro, you gotta give it to him. But he was just long and lanky. But I saw, of course our coaches are a dummy. But it's like, we're going away from this guy. And when I saw him pre game, I'm like, you're damn right, we're going away from this guy because I don't think it's gonna be too much going on in there. And he really was that problem, and he was a problem that year. But he's unblockable. I almost feel like he was like a Kalayis Campbell, you know, like one of those dominant forces. He was. He was sick, but he was a different level for sure.
Speaker 2: So this was JJ.
Speaker 6: Watt won Defensive Player of the Year this year also the Sack Town and he had twenty and a half sacks, thirty nine tackle for losses for forest fumbles.
Speaker 2: His Africa Jesus was that.
Speaker 1: When was that when Cushion was down there too?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, he actually missed this game because he got hurt early in the year. But this is peek Brant. They had a good defense.
Speaker 1: They were loaded. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Adrian Foster was fucking swifty, was smooth.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: He kind of reminds me of of like Kamara, just not like necessarily how they run, but like they were slick, like that slick. They're both slick players, where like they're good screen running backs. They're good like toss crack running backs. They can catch the ball out of the backfield, but they can they dip in and out of the tackles every so often. But when they do, it's impactful.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a big you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Adrian Fosster was like that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, And I can't take anything from his game at all. He was to me, he had the combination of power and speedy. He didn't have to be so physical which is what Yes, yes, but I think he was a little bit bigger back, but yeah, a little bit back in the day. Yeah, he was one of those guys. If he got in space, it was guaranteed twenty yards minimum, you know what I mean. And so that's really what he did for his career. But he was nasty in Texas because everybody in the ballpark, I think knew he was getting the rock and he was still productive this year.
Speaker 6: Had four hundred yards fifteen touchdowns, do see. And Andre Johnson was on this team too, he also had sixteen hundred yard.
Speaker 2: We got it? Do you remember? Did we remember? I see? I didn't play this game. I broke my foot the week before.
Speaker 1: I was really wondering. I'm like, how are we gonna do a game, Jules, They're not even in the game.
Speaker 2: This is about you, baby, about but we'll get that. But what was the perception of did we know that they came in on with their letterman jackets? Was that? Was there a talk on the locker room? Yes, because if I was in the locker room, and if I was there, I probably would have been like, guys, we beat the funk out of these dudes. Oh yeah, this is high school Harry Ship.
Speaker 1: So I can't look. My memory is really bad. I'm not even gonna make this up when I say double digit concussions. Have had a few, Okay, but I kind of somewhat remember. It was like a talk or maybe Sports Center or something had said that like somebody on the team was getting jackets made or something like they were making a big deal about it because they were coming out of h town and coming up there to the freaking to the brick, to the brick, you know what I mean. It's what I called Beantown. It's brick Cole, It's freezing. So I guess it was something going around saying they were gonna hop off the plane with these jackets, and it's like, Bro, you're coming up in our shit swagging out rocking these jackets like this is about to be a cake walk. It was disrespectful, you know what I mean. So I remember Gucci told me he was like, real, when you get in there, he'said, I want you to kick that.
Speaker 2: Bitch Downie McDaniels.
Speaker 1: Guccie McDaniels, bro. And so that was the celebration. I used to kick the door down, And I can't remember was it JJ Watt he told me. Gucci told me this. He's like, when you get in there and score, he was like, because JJ used to always hit the salute, remember, so when you go back to it, man, I kicked the door down and I hit him with the salute, and I was like, I ain't none of that going on in here tonight. You know, I was talking talking to my shit. But when the OCA gases you up like that and tell you this, that kind of outie. Man. They stepped off with the freaking Letterman jackets. I think it was like twenty one to zero before the bus cooled off. It wasserve. Early in the second quarter. We beat their ass, bro, and uh, it was awesome. I'll tell you it was really awesome.
Speaker 2: There's only one way in and one way after. I take that highway one right up into Foxboro. They're gonna be hell of traffic, is gonna be cold, and you ain't gonna hear a fucking r. It's gonna be any ours.
Speaker 1: Well, we call that Fort Foxboro.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 2: It was real.
Speaker 1: It was real on the base. So it was just tight to even look back and think, Bro, how dominant we really were.
Speaker 2: Let's get into our team though, real quick go ahead.
Speaker 6: The twenty twelve million Patriots head coach Bill Belichick off its corner. Josh McDaniel's defensive coordinator Matt Patricia, coming off a Super Bowl loss to the Giants. Season before, notable rookie Chandler Jones, Dante high towered Navener, big draft Gronk also signed a big contract the year before, the largest tenant contract ever. Had some injury issues this year. This was also the year of the butt fumble was two weeks prior to this game, and then Jewels went down the week after. Some dudes, obviously Tom Brady, Stephen Ridley, some great running back room, Shane Vereen, Danny Woodhead had Brandon Lloyd Slater, Wes Welker's on this team. Dante Dante Stalwars dragged out the street for this game. We mentioned some of the line men Marcus can, Dan Connolly, Logan Mankins, and Neat Soldier, Sebastian Volmer we.
Speaker 2: Forget him earlier. Hes on this team.
Speaker 6: Wilferk's on this team. This was I think John Cordy's first year as a as a safety. Two Yeah, we put mccordy to safety this year. He played safety right, and then is that one so we got little dinner? Yeah, yeah, yeah yeahs Arrington was playing a lot.
Speaker 1: Kyle Anryton, Yeah, Chung always Staple, Nate Abner, Derek Martin was one of the funniest individuals. I don't know ever talk about him, but he was a funny individual man. Shout out shout out.
Speaker 2: Dirty was that dirty b Lloyd was probably one of the best X receivers I played.
Speaker 1: With his his routes in his hands. He had like feather soft.
Speaker 2: Hands, yeah, and he was just he was so smooth with his route silky, he was any like he had dancer flexibility. Like that's how he got in and out of his breaks. He looked like the pink panther. He'd be like who.
Speaker 1: It was like you couldn't have drawn it, I guess, like you could not have drawn up a prettier route by receiver.
Speaker 2: They got his smooth hands and he was effortless.
Speaker 1: Like he wasn't even trying to move, but like his his form was just so nice. And then it's like he'd come out of stuff and if the ball was anywhere around, he could bend.
Speaker 2: His body just all kind of ways like a dancer. He was yeah, truly, like, yeah, he was a he was a fucking stud.
Speaker 1: It was he was.
Speaker 2: I always tried to explain to people about the running back room. Yeah yeah, explain to us the dynamic of the running back room with Ivan Fears Man that coach Coach Fears like, how do he had to basically like be the teacher for all you knuckleheads?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah he did. He did. Coach Fears was like, Pops, you know what I mean. Coach Fear is the old head. I think he had been with Bill for forever. And I mean, I'm running back room was loaded. I mean, let's just go back through it and say what it was our leader. I'm gonna say it was three nine. Danny would Hill like small guy dynamite, Big things come to small packages. You could throw Danny in any play, line him up at any position, and Danny knew it and was effective. But the running back room, he was heading that room. When I got there as a rookie, it was Ben Jarvis green Ellis, and then once Benny went on in Cincinnati, that's when I kind of stepped into it in twenty twelve and we started kind of figured out what I was capable of but our room was no doubt led by Danny Woodhead. He was the ultimate leader, ultimate teammate, kind of told us how it was coming in so Coach Fears would always throw it up there. So let me back up again. Brandon Bolden, Old Miss guy BB was a monster. Okay. BB did not lift weights. BB just ran all day, never got tired. But little history about BB. BB was from Baton Rouge, Louisiana and went to Old Miss to play running back. I was from Natchez, mississipp and left Mississippi and went to LSU to play running back. We were a year apart. He wore thirty four to Old Miss. I wore thirty four at LSU and we banged it out for four years in a row. So when Nate we drafted Brandon Bolden, when y'all talk about lick bro, I was like, there's no way Bill really just did that. And I looked up and BB's coming in the room, and it was like, Oh, it's up me and BB like to smoke a little button chill. I'm just gonna say like that was kind of that was our deal. We'll get another story going on now. One I don't want to get us in trouble. But our running back room was super tight. Just talk about the room. Danny was our leader. Shaneo was drafted ahead of me, so Bill the previous year, I guess in two thousand, what was that two thousand and six is when Bill drafted Grunk and Hernandez in the same draft class ten ten, twenty ten. Sorry, we came in in twenty eleven and he drafted Shane and me at running back. So he was going by the twos. And so when we come in, SHANEO is third down back, fast, got wheels, Shane got an open field. You can just go ahead and meet him at the goal line. He just had it and he was a safety valve off the backfield. He was the exact opposite of me. So when I look at it, it was like our running back room was so built that we were just any of us could go. So going back to coach Fears, I just remember we'd go through the game and it was badass because after you play in New England, and I consider myself a journeyman because I had to bounce around on a few different teams. Very rarely did I go to a room that was as loaded as we were. On this year. But Coach Fears really used to just say, hey, look every other series, we're going with a different back. He didn't care who was in there because we were all that good. And so it was really dope because we had a team concept that we were all unselfish. We all knew that we had one job to do, and I was to get it done as a running back room and not fumble the football. And that word still I get chills on my body because that was Rerid's biggest issue throughout my career. Bro. I ran hard, but the ball would get out, Bro, when I was fighting for the yards. But either way, Bill, with no hesitation, you knew what time it was. You put that ball on the ground, go ahead and sit on the bench. Bro, that's a day for you. You know, watch the game. But when you look at this room, it was so stacked that it didn't matter who we had in there. We had great leadership. Coach Fears always kept us like almost like a school mentality, Bro, like we were in class. Y'all get in here, so you know, and y'all know what Bill said and what we have to do, and he's gonna trickle down with everything. So It's like coach gives his orders. Ivan's gonna come in and coach us up. Make sure we know what we need to do, and we can't be embarrassing the old man, you know what I mean, Like this is one of Bill's guys, and Bill's trust him, and you know, I look at it and say, this man, he was one of the few black coaches on the coaching staff, So you know, we tried to go hard for the man. And he'd been around for years. So when you look at it like that, we were a true family, you know what I mean. We hung out a lot off the field, but we were just stacked up, dude, because Shane, Shane was a monster out of the backfield. And then even when you handed it to him, Shane would get loose quick. And there was no drop off between BB and me and there was no drop off between Danny Woodhead and Shane Veren. We just had depth for days.
Speaker 2: Who's most entertaining guy in the locker room in this locker.
Speaker 1: Room Chico and Hernandez. I will say that I got to give him his flowers.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 1: He had a personality that was out.
Speaker 2: Of this world.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 2: He was funny, he was funny, funny.
Speaker 1: I just always think about him saying, hey yo, Bill, Remember how I used to say that Ao Ao was there at Ayo Ayo Bill, And he come in and be loud and joking. But he was a baller. He worked hard. Chico had when you come to personality, it's like you have that guy that's like super loud, almost obnoxious and annoying. But he's so annoying that you have to laugh at him because you can't get over him. And he had Coach McDaniel's rolling. He had Bill laughing and then I just remember him and to leave, You remember him and to leave used to go at it after practice, and uh, they used to just bet that money. It was like we'd have our full practice and stuff. But Chico was such a competitor. Correct me if I'm wrong with jewels. But Chico used to go do drills with the receivers, like this dude was so talented. He had feet and hands of a receiver, but he had the body of a freaking tight end. But he also just love competition. So Talib comes in and to Leib's gonna gonna talk his shit, you know what I mean, He's gonna bark and say he's gonna lock stuff down down and Chico and he would go at it probably two three days a week after practice.
Speaker 2: He used to have to do it with them to Tom would spin it out there.
Speaker 1: You know, it'd be like practice would be over and you'd look up and Bill's over on the sideline, just twirling the whistle, watching the show. But they'd be betting money on catching the rock against each other. But Chico leaving Florida, I knew he was a baller down in Florida. And then once I got to get up to New England, we hung out a little bit and got his personality. Man, he was the man bro, He really was. But he was just he kept he kept us laughing at all times. He really did. He was funny laughing.
Speaker 2: Or are you wanting to punch him in the face?
Speaker 1: Want to fight him? One of the two And he wasn't scared of that either.
Speaker 2: No, clearly not team asshole? Yes, who is a team asshole?
Speaker 1: Team asshole?
Speaker 4: Mmm?
Speaker 1: See no names on there? Bro, Like who would be the team asshole? Like just to call you want me to give it to you? Would you be the team ass probably?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: Always always, Hey, he's gonna be mad at me. But whatever coach said, dude, Jewels was gonna do okay. So Jewles was holding the standard. Like when Jewles came in, Jews came to work every day. I'll just say that, so kept the fire lit, kept the energy up, win, loser draw. I'd say Jewels was pretty vocal on freaking carrying your load, you know what I mean, Like you really did do that. I ain't gonna lie over his career. He was just one of those guys that just worked his ass off, and so I'd say team assole. He'd call people out, you know, and let you know when you're when you're when you're slacking. So I'll give you that. I'm looking at the.
Speaker 2: I was an asshole, but I worked hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah you did, but you didn't.
Speaker 2: You can't say anything that a guy that's been here three hours before you woke up.
Speaker 1: Truly and already got the workout in, already caught balls on the.
Speaker 2: Jugs, you know what I mean. Like this dude was just he.
Speaker 1: I think he was up and grinding more than he was sleeping at that point in his career. And I'm not just saying that because he was here. It was just he was a scrappy white dude that really had to hold his own and he did that, you know what I mean. But I think he was a leader enough to call us out because I don't really see any like assholes on that literal Like we didn't have it, Tom, I mean Tom was Tom was zero bullshit policy, you know what I mean. But he wasn't really as Tom store you have twelve man first day, very first day. I got there coming out of LSU, we believe it, stepping in there and trying to go in and make a difference. Waen't scared of line up trying to do it. So I got in there and got behind twelve for the first time, and Tom turned around and looked at me, look forward again and look back now, RI get out here, keV come on and he sat me down before even handing me the first ball, told keV Faulk, come on in here and take the first running back real LSU back a goat a legend. Gotta give it to him. But he he did. He kind of humbled me on that very first day.
Speaker 2: Did he talk to you about that afterwards or anything?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Did he call you after he got drafted? The Patriots LSU or is there like a coolness with keV? Yeah?
Speaker 1: For sure, for sure. keV hit me up. Let me know that Jarvis Green had left there. Yeah, and so the LSU guys kind of welcomed me in when I when I got that call, so that would be a good story. But I got a better I got a better twelve store.
Speaker 2: It's off the.
Speaker 1: Field, and uh, because Tom never went out, kind of never did much. And I remember the first time Tom ever invited me to his crib. I gotta say that. I don't know what year it was, but we had done practice or something, and Tom was like red red dog and he's always rid y'all come here, And I ran over there. I'm like, what's up?
Speaker 2: Bro?
Speaker 1: He's like, look, I want you to come with me. And I'm like, what caught you? Where?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: Where? When? Where I need to be? So he was like, meet me in Boston, gave me an address. I didn't even know where I was going, didn't matter. I was going with twelve, you know, quarterback, invite me out. So I hauled lasted up up up the highway. Was that ninety five leave? Because everybody thinks Patriots Boston. No, the Patriots in Foxborough. That's a freaking our ride from Foxborough forty five minutes from first to Boston. But Tom gave me his address, and I remember texting Mom and Dad. I'm like, man, Tom just invited me to come over here to go meet him. I don't know where I was going. I didn't care, so I went on up and drive the boss. I don't know if he even remembers this, but I was like, got to his house. He showed me around the crib. I'm like, where are we going, bro, Like, what's the what's the move? He was like, man, just just come on a ride with me. So I hopped in the back of the car and we pull into We leave his house, go downtown. Tom's the man, rides through traffics everywhere. I'm thinking it's like a Red Sox game or something like that. And as we pull up there, Tom literally pulls up and cracks his window like this much and didn't even have to say much. They kind of knew who he was and like, let us ride on through. And then we parked across the street from the stadium and I'm like, the stadium's packed out, and I'm like, that's not a baseball game going on?
Speaker 2: What is the deal?
Speaker 1: But we go in there and park and we walked back across the street to the stadium. When we walk in there, it was a concert, So bring you back to this time and this day in time. Walk in and we go behind stage. Justin Timberlake is walking onto the stage. So I don't know if y'all remember Holy Grill. Okay, So they were performing in Fenway. Part of course Tom has the plug and he's inviting me in there. I'm like, bro, I'm the man, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like Tom invited the running back up there, rling with QB one like oh, we're twelve.
Speaker 1: We're going to the to the stadium and get in there and he hollers at JT Oo JT da da h and they're like homies. I'm like, oh, how tight is that? The story gets better? From there, we go and watch JT go on. I think we might have watched like one song or something like that performer. Maybe it hadn't even started. And we walked back across to where his car was. So when we walked back across to where his car was, I walk in there and I'm following Tom wherever he goes and y'all it was almost like a movie. You know, this figure walks out and it's like, there's nobody in Boston, not really many people in America that are bigger than Tom Brady, And I'm like, who am I really seeing what I'm seeing? You know who it was?
Speaker 2: Who? Oh?
Speaker 1: Bro jay Z. I met jay Z for the first time with Tom Brady Dog and I realized how tight they really were. So when I walk up there, I'm shocked. I'm like, Bro, pick your jaw up. I act like you've been somewhere before, you know what I mean, like, get your shit together. You know. I got at least be cool a little bit. But I'm like, whoa man? Jay Z had on these gold chains. Bro, I'm talking about stacked up, almost touching his ear. And he comes in there and he DAPs off time and he was like and he called me Rid. I want to say, call me ridd He said, Rid, can I pick you up in fantasy this year? And before I could even say anything, I remember this time touched me and he don't even know. He's like, you're damn right, you could pick him up in fantasy this shit, And I'm like, oh, I made it.
Speaker 2: I made it.
Speaker 1: I freaking made it. But I'm in here with freaking Tom and jay Z and they're performing the Holy Grail at the concert, and of course Twelve got backstay passing and just rolls in this thing like he's on in the stadium, which he did, and it was like one of those moments that I could say with twelve on the field, we have countless moments in my four years there that I could talk about, but that was one of those times off the field that I was like, it was super dope to just see because I figured out that him, jay Z, I want to say, Whatach Paul was there too? Was there? Maybe Kevin Durant maybe, and so I think he was there too, But it was like one of those times that was just like if you knew or you had that in, you were there. And I definitely didn't have that in. I was just rolling with the man. So that was a cool ast story that Twelve kind of let me know that I was kind of handling my business a little bit to even be with him off the field and him to take me to that to that out that was Bob.
Speaker 2: That's insane. Get to meet ho JT J.
Speaker 1: D sliding backstage way Park.
Speaker 2: It was just jealous. I was at I was at that concert. I was there.
Speaker 1: You wasn't backstage with me?
Speaker 2: Now one backstage. I wasn't there, But here was this twenty eleven not not yet he forgot und Yeah he's lying. No, all right, this jump into the game before we move on to the game.
Speaker 6: Just as a fan of a Newland Patriots, there's a very clear distinction in like the running back there's like a lineage of like the early down running backs, like the you know, first second down running backs, and then the pass catcher third down guys, you know, and you're kind of a part to that lineage, the Corey Dillons, the Blunts, the like you, and then the other side you have like the the Verenes and the Kevin Fox and the James Whites. Can you just kind of explain how that dynamic is like coached and how that exists inside the running back room.
Speaker 1: Yes, we had personnels personel groups. So when we say personnel groups, it's just like different formations people go in. You know, if we go three wides or go spread, go empty, or we go to goal line formation or too tight two tight ends with a full bat So basically it was just the God how many times we heard this say, it was a do your job type of deal. So we kind of knew our roles, knew our assignments, what we were there for, and what our specialty was. And that's what was so cool about being drafted by the Patriots. People always ask for you know, you have fun, and I can honestly say it really was not much fun because we were never satisfied. Bro, Like we were kicking ass and doing it, but it like we would be nine and one or something like that. I feel like we were freaking er to twelve around the facility because we weren't settling for anything but championship, Like that's what we were locked in on. But the dynamic and the running back room was kind of like, bro, it was a true like almost like special Forces, you know what I mean. Like if like Jules said, you got somebody going there and defuse the bomb, you know it's a third down situation. We know we got to have this man. Ridd's big ass ain't in the game, like I'm on the sidelines chilling Shane O or Woo, He's gonna be in there because those are the guys who know how to run routes.
Speaker 2: And there's the thunderstand, there's the bomb diffuser, and then you're like the what are those jammer cars? I'm like the armor truck. Yeah, the armor truck that goes through goal line, Like.
Speaker 1: You know, you see rig coming the game on goal line situation, short yardage, first and second down. And so that's why always for me it got me in trouble care and the pill But I like, I really emptied the tank on every run because I knew that I was only in there for first and second down, and so third down come around, it would be either Danny or Shane's coming in. You know. If I stayed on the field, we stayed with that same personnel and I was tired, then BB would come on in or you know, give me a little relief. But man, we had a real family, and like we didn't care how it went down. We just knew that we didn't want Bill's recap of the game when he's talking about the plays or the moments that had changed the game. We just didn't want it to be the running back room, you know what I mean. So that's really how it was. We were so unselfish and we were just like we were a true team.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and you mentioned the tank on every run. I was watching your highlights last night. It seemed like every single run ended with just the shoulder, just a little bit of extra just you know what, man like you possessed.
Speaker 4: I loved.
Speaker 2: Mississippi.
Speaker 1: It's just this that SEC ball, you know, Like I mean like we had to really we played ball in a time in the SEC when I know for a fact, I think it was at his pinnacle and uh, not to elaborate on that too long, but it's like on my team alone, I think we had ten players drafted out of just my class.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Patrick Peterson was with me. I came out. Chad Jones don't know if y'all remember him, but the SEC at that time, Cam Newton was there. Julio Jones was there's.
Speaker 2: No American conference, but he said, what no American bro, good American conference.
Speaker 1: Get out of here, dude.
Speaker 2: If you go look at the SEC, we go to SEC.
Speaker 1: From the years of two thousand and seven and twenty eleven, Joe Hayden's the Percy Harvin's Florida's roster in itself was an NFL team was a poor NFL t under Urban Meyer Mo. They had Cam Newton was back up to Tim Tebow the max.
Speaker 2: You know what teams like a team? It was crazy.
Speaker 1: Georgia had no Sean Marino had uh Matthew Stafford had aj Green, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like these Josh cribs.
Speaker 1: That was way before your time, bro, See how you trying to claim all this. I played with James Oh my god, give the.
Speaker 2: James Jerrison was on our team, like in twenty eighteen seventeen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was way out of there by the end.
Speaker 2: But hey, Kent State, give it to them, bro, Jack Lambert, no big deal.
Speaker 1: But yeah, Bro, it was just it was a different style of running, bro, because we just had it. It was defensive smash mouth football back in the day. Hell yeah, so that was the that was the run style, Bro, Tyler.
Speaker 2: Let's jump into the game.
Speaker 6: So we kind of talked a lot about this, but mostly just both teams were riding a six game win streak. Houston was coming in best season fans on history, coming in eleven and one for a Monday night football game in Foxborough. We talked about a little bit earlier the Letterman Jackets. I want to give a little bit more context to that. So the idea came from nose tackle Sean Cody and linebacker Connor Barwin, and they said that. I used to say before the season, it feels like we're on a college team. Everyone gets along, we have so much fun. And this jacket you feel like you're on a high school team and where it's all about winning. It's all about being around a group of guys. This jacket is just another symbol of that. There are no names on it. You just have your number, your position group, and the tech his logo.
Speaker 1: That was cute.
Speaker 6: And that plan was to continue the jackets throughout the season, adding patches, adding certain things based off of individual performances.
Speaker 2: But you guys, beat the ship out of that idea. Can't come back from that.
Speaker 1: So was that the first game they pulled? Oh wow? And then they buried it right after that? Yeah? Yeah, thank you.
Speaker 2: Probably should have waited until next week. Yeah, it would come to the Patriots on the road.
Speaker 1: Bad call by whoever.
Speaker 2: That was god? Monday Night football, this game. Talk about Monday Night football? What does it mean to you?
Speaker 1: Monday Night was freaking It was always good to be on prime time. You know you know everybody was watching, you know, and as a kid you dream about getting out there and making it to the stage of the NFL. And during my four years in New England and we're kicking ass the way we're kicking ass. We had prime time games almost every week, you know what I mean. So that's why I say, I'm just I hit my knees and I saved my prayers. I'm just thankful for the time that I got in New England because you look at it now and it's like no prime time games. We had probably seven, eight, nine, ten of them a year and they were they were probably most likely wins, you know what I mean. So we just had a squad that was working together. We really were a team group, and man, we kicked the ass. But Monday night football is where you got a ball. I mean, you cannot come to Monday night knowing that you're on the field, you're a starter. They're gonna put the ball in your hands and not show up. So that was always my mentality, Come in, juice, come in and handle your business and make sure that we get the job done, and don't embarrass yourself on the.
Speaker 2: Public stage, on the big stage. Can't not in this game.
Speaker 1: No way Letterman jackets.
Speaker 2: When's the last time you wore a Letterman jacket? I should have a bomber that looks I designed a Letterman jacket with Joe's jeans. Actually it's kind of cool. A bomber your a rocket. Yeah, it's cool. We were thinking we should get some games and names Letterman jack It's after this maybe we'll know. Maybe the next ratings will be fucking terrible, you know what I mean? What if we get it just fucking murdered.
Speaker 6: I watched I watched like a deep cut YouTube video real late last night that there's like a Letterman jacket curse that anytime a pro team starts rocking him, shit goes bad.
Speaker 2: See, you can't wear a Letterman jacket.
Speaker 1: Texts started that BS.
Speaker 2: So we mentioned earlier this game. John Gruden's on the call, shout John Green. John Gruden was great on the call. Loved him. I was watching the highlights. You like Gruden was a caller, Yes, yes, on the TV call the caller, Yes, Gruden.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: I just did his podcast. He's fucking I was in.
Speaker 1: He's always on intense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's just he just he knows how he knows he's done TV, you could, so we had forty five minutes to do his podcast. We were in and out per like timed, like he knows beats, but he also like he he knows the ship already. But he's been more fun with this barstool. It's been fun watching him. It's cool. It's cool, man, He's ah. My dad was a big fan of him.
Speaker 1: He was a Raider. You know, Dad's dial a Raiders fan. So gr Gruden's a legend around our household, you know what I mean. So, yeah, he's the man.
Speaker 6: This game started. Not a whole lot worth talking about this game, but started out real hot. Three touchdowns, first street drives, Hernandez. You mentioned that two touchdowns. Brandon Lloyd had thirty seven touchdowns by halftime. Patriots rerep twenty one nothing. You did have a red zone fumble though early.
Speaker 1: See what I'm talking about. I recovered young tripping dude.
Speaker 2: What's it like being in Belichick's like fumble doghouse? Doghouse not a pot oh dude? You know?
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, I'm talking. I'm thirty six years old right now, and when I don't really watch that much football and be honest with you, like I was kind of scarred after the pro career because it was like, man, I know I had a decent career, but I had like some fumbles at some times, and like social media was just getting going and people were firing and saying some of the craziest stuff to you in socials, and it used to just like man, it used to eat at me bro like, I mean, it used to just eat me up. And I finally got set up one time and I laid into some little kid that fell off my DMS. I'm like a little turd. I didn't say, like that nice, but I'm like you little turd. I went in on like you don't know the half or thinks you know. His mom writes back a message I'm just letting you know, and I was like, mom, f you too, Like, for one, you need to control your little kid talking to me a grown man like this, YadA, YadA, YadA. But it's like one of those deals. Man, when you fumble the rock, it's the most disgusting feeling that you can hide because you've let literally the hopes and dreams of the team. You're a running back. You got one job to do, and that's hold the pill and get the yaarders and get down and when you cough it up like that. Bill has a zero tolerance for that. I mean, and I remember I was not only bench, but it's like the whole following week of practice. I don't know if you even remember this. Remember he took the footballs.
Speaker 2: And greased him, greased.
Speaker 1: Them up with like bakleen and silicon, put baby powder on top of him and making his point that I blew it and had a fumble. Then you do a drill where you have two balls in each hand greased up the same way. Coach fears is on one side. Bill comes over there and he's on the other side, and that's when he's gonna actually coach you hard, you know, and make you realize that it's very important and it's not acceptable. So I got bench one time where he took me out. I didn't even get to dress. You remember that where I had to sit on the sidelines. I like scarred for this bro just off of a fumble turnover, but coach had me on the sidelines holding the rock, not even in pads.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 1: I had to sit and watch the game and it was sick. But I think like right after that, the next two games.
Speaker 2: He came in.
Speaker 1: He fed me pretty well, and I was freaking killing it because I was just pissed off and embarrassed. But Bill's doghouse is nowhere that any human being wants to be ever, ever, ever, dude ever. So I still love the coach.
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 2: The thing about this game we did. We're doing a lot, a whole lot of no huddle, and that's because of JJ Watt. You know you you We were trying to capture a team in the same personnel group, get him tired, don't give him enough time to uh communicate. So that's and that's why we were going to huddle. Keep that personnel rakes, blew the brakes off of him.
Speaker 6: Yeah, let me put a bone in this game. So twenty one and a half, twenty nothing in half, start off, third quarter early Stalwart had a sixty three yard touchdown off the street, big touch off the street. Loves when that first game was also, I love.
Speaker 1: He was one of those leaders that came into our locker room. Man, we spent some time. Uh he was just a quality dude. Yeah, he really was.
Speaker 2: That he understood that a lot of perspective from a life experience that he explained through for us young guys.
Speaker 6: And then also want to make sure to mention that Danny woodhead for giving out fumbles, also had a FuMB on the red zone.
Speaker 2: However, his was recovered by Lloyd. He Lloyd touchdown the one game I think you did. He passed out and.
Speaker 6: Scooped it up and score. It was scooped in then zone scored and you capped off Patriot scoring with a fourteen yeard touchdown.
Speaker 2: They had thirteen penalties for one hundred and twenty six yards.
Speaker 1: You know, we got our ass ripped.
Speaker 2: Final score forty two fourteen.
Speaker 1: Beat down.
Speaker 2: That was bad beat down. After math, we were really taught what championship football is.
Speaker 1: Brady James, unless you speak that real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Houston finished twelve and four, that's what he said. Twelve. That's a that's a defeating quote. This is cream season too, by the way, Oh, this is cream season. What cream season is a part of the season where the cream rises to the top. And you know, you know what I'm talking about. Only about sixteens each year that really have a shot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then.
Speaker 2: Well it was developed through the pastorization period of the season, which is like week four to eight twelve. That's like when the milk trying to get up to the top.
Speaker 1: Cream to the top. Yeah. But like coach said, best football has we played after Thanksgiving?
Speaker 2: After Thanksgiving stream season is about to start.
Speaker 6: So this was a matchup in the playoffs too. Patriots also won forty one to twenty eight. Radio had fifteen carries, a two yards and a tug, then lose to the Ravens the NFC Championship game. Gary Kubiak would be fired after the later years later, JJ Watt was asked if he still had the jacket.
Speaker 2: He says, I don't think so. I hope not.
Speaker 6: I don't want to bring that up at all. Those were some bad days. Takes a man to admit to it, takes a man to a mid to it. We'll be right back after this quick break. All right, let's name the game and then score the game. Is this the greatest game of all time? Let's score it, rid What is the name of this game that you like the most? Off your dome or we have some.
Speaker 2: We have the Letterman Jacket game, the Letterman Loss, Texas fold Them, the Monday Night massacre, Houston humiliation. It's got to have something with the Leatherman jacket. I believe I.
Speaker 1: Disagree with you that quick, bro. I'm going with Texas. Fold them, bro, fold them up, get them.
Speaker 2: Out of there. That was a But the whole thing about this game is the letterman jacket. But this is your game. We'll go with the Texas. Texas fold them is.
Speaker 6: I think great wordplay, and props to Jack for doing that, But I mean I got to push back here too.
Speaker 2: This is one the letteran jacket game.
Speaker 1: No, give you that. I'll give that and let the big time story they came out with it, because, like you say that, for them to come out with that, you gotta have that. And I'll give you that back check on my words. But the texts fold them is. It's great, great, great, you know, great word play like.
Speaker 2: You said, Letterman loss, Letterman Jacket game, for sure, Letterman Jacket game. Give it to it all right, score the game is, this is the greatest game of all time. Let's score it. Steven steaks zero ten decimals. Okay. The stakes of this week twelve game or is it week what is this week twelve? No, they're eleven to one week fourteen game. But December week fourteen game. The stakes of this game, regular season game.
Speaker 1: I'll give it a seven seven six score seven six seven. I think we were focused on, or we were focused on. I think for them it was their super Bowl, trying to HiPE their self up like they were somebody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can only we can only we can only grade the stakes for our perspective. Seth on winning streaks to Monday night game late in the season. Some stakes here I'll go with. I'll go with the A seven, yeah, because this was, this is the start of cream season. Four point nine Jesus Jack, I'm this is this can't be right. Five back is four point nine? I have six point three, okay.
Speaker 1: Star power of this game, Monday Night football, Baby.
Speaker 2: Monday Night football, the players in it. Kubiak's a super Bowl winning catch coach in the future. You got Bill's staff, you got Tom Brady Watt, JJ Watt. Star power of this game, rid.
Speaker 1: Star power Monday Night. Well, i'n go with seven again seven, go seven because we have some big games, you know what I mean. But Monday night matchup, two good teams.
Speaker 6: Mattchup quarterback, a little bit of a ding. But yeah, I'm gonna go with the six point four, Okay.
Speaker 2: Jacket Home had a seven point five and Foster.
Speaker 1: Had some ballers.
Speaker 2: On Earth they had some ballers. Dwayne Brown go hookies too. Yeah, the gameplay of the game, the gameplay would be like the entertainment value of it, going back and forth like the gameplay.
Speaker 6: Right, Yeah, you explained that. Great, it's exciting game. Great stuff happens back and forth.
Speaker 2: You know, Or is it just a sillhacking?
Speaker 1: Nah? I mean I'm kind of stuck on my number there because I think for the Pats, for US seven seven, because for for our fans, we gave him a show, you know what I mean. It wasn't much of a game that you're sitting on your seat watching like it was closed. It was a beat.
Speaker 2: Then it was clinical from the Patriots side. I was watching this game and you could just see the it was very clinical, like we were having our way. It just not even that though, just like you could say, it was like a well oiled machine, methodical run game. This game, intermediate game, past, deep past, like everything was clicking. It just looked like a highly run machine.
Speaker 1: It was. It was a perfect game. Shout out Gucca on an offensive play call the game because the play action was killing him that.
Speaker 6: Watched down from Lloyd the play actions running down.
Speaker 2: It was beautiful, Bro, the whole we were pulling the go with the seven as well.
Speaker 6: Running at will. Yeah, Jack has a seven point one. I had a five point one. I thought it was a five for Patriots and zero for the Texans.
Speaker 2: Name of the game, the Letterman Jacket game. You gotta you gotta score the name of the game.
Speaker 1: Oh score the name of the game. Let's give it a uh we righting all the way down with the sevens, Bro, I'll give actually, look let him in Jacket game. I'll give it a nine because I mean that everybody remembers.
Speaker 2: I'll give it a a eight point two because you remember the Letterman Jackie a regular season game, and the Jackie game might not know who's scored. Looking Jack gave it to ninety seven. I had a seven nine. We might have to check in on Jack after that. All right, where's this at? Where's this rank? The final score is seven point one four? Where's the rank all time? That puts it.
Speaker 6: Fifty seventh, just below the twenty eleven Stanley Cup Final game seven Bruins Canucks, which is a criminal score, and then just above the two thousand and six NFC Wild Card game Cowboys versus Seahawks that I believe is.
Speaker 2: The eighty of these motherfuckers. Dude, we're closing in on one hundred. It's we're gonna do something eighty.
Speaker 1: Hey do your think, bro? Do you think the game just double tapping from afar? But I love I love the graand Bro, when I get to get to see the feed come down with the games and names, I'll keep killing it.
Speaker 2: Bro, It's great. Man, that was awesome.
Speaker 1: That's great.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 6: I think we got so many stories left from that list. You gotta come back now that you're California, got you gotta come back in definitely.
Speaker 2: I mean, and then I think it'd be cool if why don't we have Rid join us for the Chill Zone. Let's do it? Yeah, I want you want to do We got some questions. We actually threw in some questions from callers. So it's time for the Chill Zone, brought to you by cores Light. Get COR's light delivered straight to your door. Visit coreslight dot com, slash gwn celebrate responsibly. Today we're hitting the old hotline, or should I say the chill line chill, Stephen Ridley again, that number is four two four two nine one nine zero. Let's get into it.
Speaker 3: Hey, this is Michael from Pengrom, Pennsylvania. Stephen Ridley, you're one of my favorite touchdown celebrations, drawing your door kicking it down. Was wondering what inspired that, man?
Speaker 1: What inspired the kick the door down celebration? Every defense in the league is trying to keep you out of the zone. That was my way of giving them a big middle finger and letting them know that guess what, it ain't stopping the kid when we got our mind made up and they're gonna turn around to hand it off because I know twelve is gonna punch it in if you let me get me a little bit of shine, hand me the rock. I gotta close it for the team. So I love to kick the door down and just give it to a defense. Let them know it is sweetness. Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: It was intense too, draw it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the salute this this week, None of that. It's over.
Speaker 4: Hey, guys. Stalin from Nuthouse Nation, back at you again, rid Welcome to the nuthouse. I want to paint a scenario for you guys here we're having to cook out at the nuthouse. But Nutthouse cookout, you have all the time in the world to make sure this food comes out perfectly. Since we know you like to take your time and make sure it's good. You know we'll enjoy some ice cold corus light. We'll blast them bon Jovi, toss the pig skin around, hang out in the hot tub, whatever it is.
Speaker 2: We'll wait.
Speaker 4: So, Steven, what meal are you making for everyone? And Julian you have to cook up this as well.
Speaker 2: So what's the move?
Speaker 3: We going burger time?
Speaker 4: See the cookout? Boys?
Speaker 2: Cookout? What are you bringing to the cookout? Good? Good question. Dallan, that's awesome. Where's Dallin from? He's uh, we talked to him a lot.
Speaker 6: He's in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania kids, Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it's only right that I go ahead and plug the homemies. Do y'all read the hat. I'm cooking some duck poppers, dug poppers poppers at the cookout. Man poppers, Well, you can't kill him if you don't eat them. That's kind of the known rule. But hey, I'm gonna cook some duck poppers for the nuthouse, I run, bro I got to.
Speaker 2: I'm as boring as they come for my cookout. Just hamburgers and hot dogs. See that's the Kelly shit. I love hamburgers and hot dogs, of.
Speaker 1: Course, of course, but that's why I got to bring that Mississippi and Louisiana to it. You know that good. I like kicking.
Speaker 2: I like barbecue chicken. Like try tip. You eat a lot of tried tips.
Speaker 1: Tips good?
Speaker 2: They don't even tried tip anywhere else?
Speaker 1: Can? I mean?
Speaker 2: But if I cook, if I cook some poppers, would you try? It's like poppers like wings that like when you like kind of fold them out.
Speaker 1: The poppers. How I do my poppers? Man? I get a duck breast and uh, we're gonna cut it up kind of like a nugget. Uh wrap it and creep, Uh put cream cheese a hallopeno, wrap it in bacon, and y'all just watch your fingernails because if I gonna bite down, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: So yeah, I got you.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna cook that up.
Speaker 2: I want a duck popper.
Speaker 1: I'm coming so popa top. Cheers, bro cheers, bobs, love it, love you.
Speaker 3: You know, nuthousees Evander culling in with a question for our boy Ridley. Do you ever get to meet Mike the Tiger when you're.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, man, Mike is uh, you can't be a Tiger without having your time with Mike the Tiger.
Speaker 2: Who's Mike the Tiger?
Speaker 1: Cut it out, juice, I don't know who tiger. Our mascot is a real live tiger, is it?
Speaker 2: What seven, same one for the last twenty fifty years. No, I mean he's just named every tiger Mike.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's our mascot. I'm going to I'm not letting you hate on that.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 1: Look when I tell you the intimidation factor is a ten because at what we do for every game day, Mike comes out of his cage and we take Mike right over to where the visiting team runs out. So when you come out of your visit locker room, you gotta go by the cage and Mike the Tiger, and it's a real Bengal tiger and the sucker's probably how many seven eight, maybe one thousand pounds real cat, This cat sitting right there.
Speaker 2: So hell yeah he still put them on the field. Hell yeah, they do.
Speaker 1: They have him on the field in the cage. Like, that's what I'm saying. When you run out from pregame, you have to go by Mike.
Speaker 2: I went to school that was a really good school in the SEC, and I was going by that and I knew that was coming.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 2: I would I would get like a piece of hamburger meat and throw it at the tigers. So when we rode, when we would run by, he'd be occupied, be eating or something out. He wouldn't be doing shit.
Speaker 1: Mike's eating opponents, Bro. He wanted, but the little meat he want. He want a kid stay Julianeto. When they come in everything, he's gonna do something.
Speaker 2: Oh, he's gonna eat there. And they they have a nice they like set up nice habitat for him.
Speaker 1: Now too, what Yeah, Mike lives like a kid. Mike has a big cage right across from Tiger Stadium. Like literally, you come out to stadium and he's got like a man almost, Like how we have the Patriot Place or whatever. He's got a whole setup right there by the memorabilia where you can bow all the LSU stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's got a huge he's got a great life. He's got a huge cage. It does. He does, but he said he's got a great life. He's got a huge cage.
Speaker 1: You're a hater, bro.
Speaker 6: We got we got Mike the Seventh. We got Mike the Seventh right now. Mike the Seventh his record seventy two and twenty nine. Shout out to Mike the sixth, who was there when you were there. He was ninety three and thirty Wow, two thousand and seven to his jokers, Live Long October eleventh, twenty sixteen. He got a chip too. Mike the sixth got a chip.
Speaker 1: So I don't I don't know, y'all have to look at this, but I want to say, like they kind of get tigers that might be like kind of sick or something like that, and then they kind of bring them back like you know what I mean, like like they rescue and get them healthy.
Speaker 2: And then I went to that, I went to that black Jaguar, white tiger that Mexico. What is this dude in Mexico that literally collects lions and tigers And it's I don't know, it's crazy. They're like just roaming around random other lions and tigers. This guy is in it with them in the Yeah Yeah Wild Steve with tigers skin version. Yeah, he's like hugging them and like batting them and playing with him. Yeah. I left that place going like, I don't know if he's going to be here very long.
Speaker 1: Buddy.
Speaker 2: He went into one. I went into one with a leopard. I'm like, I got to get me out. Yeah, but like Mendola, there was.
Speaker 6: A leopard that shared an exhibit with that one, and he was like, oh, if that one was in there was the black One's like, oh, that'd kill you in a second.
Speaker 2: So you just put him out and you can out with a nice one. Yeah, that's not what I want to hear. No, I'm not going last question here it what's up?
Speaker 3: Games? Names that James from New York? That question for Rid, what was it like playing those Friday night games in Death Valley back at LSU. Let me know, fake New.
Speaker 2: Yorker asking him, all right, get rid about Death Valley?
Speaker 1: Give you. I want the honesty. The honest answer is, And of course I'm biased, but I go back to the hundred and something thousand screaming fans that the motor homes pull in on Wednesday evening. They're cooking jumbali and gumbo on Thursday night, drinking Friday morning, all to catch the Tigers walk down on Saturday. There is no place in all of football, pro or college that is more lift than death balley on Saturday night. It's not. I'm just telling y'all. If I could ever take y' all there, I would love to. I love y'all your experience, but I'm telling you that, like once I got to the Pros, it was a it was a downgrade because the kids are sold out, and you know, once people have been boozed up for that long and they come in religiously week after week. The motor homes pile in. You see a line on Wednesday night of people coming in for a Saturday game. Where in the pros do you get that? You don't? And now they put the lights show in the stadium to where they're cutting off the lights. It's like a club in there and they're banging the boosy going. The culture's in. I mean, it's it's like no other. It's the best.
Speaker 2: It's the best sport and all of sports, even all like the English soccer hooligans out in freaking bumminghim or something. I was. I was fucking London.
Speaker 1: The only thing we're probably missing is that flame that you know, how they light the flames up and do all that stuff.
Speaker 2: That's the Olympic spread.
Speaker 1: No, I've seen the soccer except the things on show they said on fire. Hell yeah, like in those soccer games, I guess it's like that one area where you don't even want to be in that.
Speaker 2: Well have you not seen Philadelphia celebration they're lighting ship on fire.
Speaker 6: The only thing the soccer has like European football has on American football is that the chance and ship go throughout the play. Where like in football like okay, you stop, you gotta communicate, the crowd kind of stops, but the chance go on and on and on throughout the whole games kind of time.
Speaker 2: All right, that was the chill Zone thanks to our favorite beer, Coors Light. Get Coors Light Delivered straight der door, visit Coorslight dot com, slash g w N and remember celebrate response responsibly. Bro.
Speaker 1: Well, what a game freaking awesome The Letterman Jacket game. We got to recap that deal. I hate you not there with me, bub to talk about that one, but hey, gotta come back.
Speaker 2: Another game, Bro. I appreciate it coming so much. Man, you gotta plug. We gotta plug rid On, get rid On, Stephen Ridley On I G that's what the A N for all you people? Yes, no E N and no pH Okay, not Stephan. It's not Stephan. It's Steve Van. It's not like Stephon from Erkele. It's Steve Van, Steven from Mississippi. That's on. Nig got any products? What do we got?
Speaker 1: Gotta plug it in the foryd products. Back to my days in New England. We're taking in the good grass that God playing on this earth. Ever in New York City. Go check out our CBD line, our cannabis line. We got some of the best, top selling, all organic, the cleanest gummies that you can put into your system. No sugars, no bs, only good, solid clean products. Simplyfoid dot com. That's the business and that's the future.
Speaker 2: Let's go. Thanks, Bro, I appreciate you coming on. Man.
Speaker 1: Look awesome, Bro.
Speaker 2: And that's been another episode of Games with Names. Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, Spotify or wherever you listen to podcasts. Come in a game you want us to do and remember eight and review and leave us a five star review on Spotify. While you're there, remember to follow Games and Names on YouTube, Instagram, x TikTok, and snapchat. Leave a comment on the YouTube full episode. We'll read the best ones on our future episodes. Leave a message on the old hotline at four two four two nine one two two nine zero, and we'll see you guys next week. Games and Names the production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the ieart radio app, Apple Podcasts, wherever you get your podcasts.