Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Wonderful surprise for you this morning. All things to talk about with Robert Kaplan of Golden Sax, former president of the Dellas Fed. We could talk for three hours with them, but we're going to do a massive audible here. And the kid from you were you grew up in.
Speaker 2: Brooklyn, though my parents did, and I grew up in Kansas.
Speaker 1: They grew up in Prairie Village. Yeah. And with John Sherman, you enjoy partial ownership of the Bobby Wits.
Speaker 2: That's right of the Bobby Witts.
Speaker 1: I watched him with the Giants in Phoenix here recently. He's an electric player. I mean, how will the Kansas City Royals, your team you're part owner with John Sherman, how will they compete? Where the payrolls? About the size of Aaron Judges payroll, I got one hundred and eighty two million as a working statistic.
Speaker 2: This is unfair, right, Yeah, And that's why in the in the is a sensitive topic. But in the labor negotiations over the next year or two, there's gonna have to be a discussion about some type of balancing salary cap that the sport really really needs to create more competitiveness. Having said that, Royals are going to I say this in a little biased Royls are gonna be good this year.
Speaker 3: I mean there's I mean the word is in sports radio. There's gonna be a work stoppage next year. They do not need within.
Speaker 1: The delicacies Robert kaplan. Of where you sit with the Kansas City Royals, are you optimistic there can be a constructive agreement.
Speaker 2: I'm optimistic that it's clear the sport needs to deal with the disparity like other sports. How we're going to get from here to there, I don't know, but it's clear it would benefit everyone involved in the sport.
Speaker 1: One Kansas final Kansas City question before serious issues? Am I right? Kansas City is booming. That's what I noticed the radar from here. It's booming. The new airport at all.
Speaker 2: Of course, yes, listen, I'm Kansasity is fast, fabulous place to live. I love it. I go back there regularly, and it's it doesn't have a lot of Like forty three other states in the United States, the state of Kansas and Missouri are not growing substantially in terms of population, but it's a fabulous place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's good. Should we start the show.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 1: Let's start to show. Paul Sweetey with Robert Kaplan, the former FED president of Dallas.
Speaker 3: Robert, you know, the FED decision, I guess was not surprising in March kind of. But if I look at the warp function, look where the market is thinking. The market's not really pressing in any cuts or even any rate heights for the end of the year. I guess that makes sense because there's so much uncertainty out there.
Speaker 2: It makes a lot of sense. If we talked literally just a month ago, we would have said we're set up for a strong year growth in twenty twenty six, tax and centers, regulatory reform, AI data center power boom. And I think the Fed was hopeful in the back half of the year that headline inflation would tail off of it, so they might be able to cut rates once or twice. Obviously, because of what's going on in the Middle East, I think they're going to need to step back, that's the right thing to do, and let this unfold. Then the market is sort of backed off also and is pricing in basically no cuts this year.
Speaker 3: What do you think if I'm at the board level. If I'm at the c suite level, I've navigated tariffs. Now we have to navigate what may be, you know, an inflationary slowing economy due to higher energy prices. What is the c suite? What is the board to do? These days? Are they going to sit on their hands as well?
Speaker 1: A little bit?
Speaker 2: Do you think they're what we're seeing? They're not sitting on their hands because we are in the middle of not only an AI data center power cap x boom, but now we're in the early stages of the adoption boom, which is going to improve productivity growth, and every business we talk to has got to be trying use cases and trying to figure out how that's going to work. And many are concluding that in this new era, they're better off getting more size and scale and merging. So that's not slowing down at all. Having said that, if you want to if your forecast for the year, this has put a little bit of a damper on for many businesses on their growth outlook, and they're going to be more careful and that will start with hiring and other expenditures. But they've got to keep aggressively pursuing this AI situation, and mergers will be part of that.
Speaker 1: You're in the early criciple of this, of course, at the Dallas FED. And we all know how the Texas is booming, the philanthropy and Michael Dell and others. Here's Anna Crockett from Robert Kaplan's Dallas Fed Salary not sole concern for young adults weighing career decisions. So you're bringing over to AI in the boom, whether it's Dear Valley out into Phoenix or everything going on in Texas. What's going to be the incentive here to drive employment and happy employment forward?
Speaker 2: So what we see and I saw this when I was at the Dallas FED, and I see it more now we've got all we've got a lot of what I call mismatches. So the FED worries about are we sickly growing? Are we weakening? We got difference, We got structural problem. We've got college graduates, programmers, others can't find jobs. But I've never seen more open jobs. Win too, Installers, technicians, plumbers, people to work on the Ford Motor Company assembly line to make one hundred and thirty five grand here can't find them. And so these mismatches have to be worked through, and we're kind of struggling with that right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is stator grassing welders in Iowa a million years ago. What's the simple issue? More pay for those working class people.
Speaker 2: Some of it is aspirational if I go to college, did I go to college to be a plumber or electrician? Turns out those jobs make a lot of money, and so I think you may see you're gonna need to see more changes in our educational system. It wouldn't shock me if fifteen years from now a state college offers a skill training option. They don't do that now.
Speaker 1: This would be paul an Agricultural and Mechanical school, like at College Point Texas exactly.
Speaker 2: That's right, college station, Yeah, stations exactly, Robert.
Speaker 3: I mean, talk to us about the M and A environment. When we came into the second term of President Trump, the expectation was that this was going to be an administration that was going to be very supportive of M and A consolidation. Have we in fact seen that?
Speaker 2: I think I'll talk generally, the attitude in boards is there is a window here where I think companies are more confident that if they want to do a merger that they'll be able to get it done, and they want to take advantage of that window private credit.
Speaker 3: If it weren't for the Warner around, Tom and I keep saying to each other, Boy, if it weren't for the Warner around, this private credit issue would be maybe a bigger issue for Global Wall Street and concerns about is there a systemic risk in the private credit world which has seen such a tremendous amount of growth since a great financial crisis. How do you guys think about that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so if you actually look under the hood in the portfolios, obviously you want to check what their industry exposures are, how much software exposure. It's by the way, there's nothing wrong with software companies. It just you may not want them to be leveraged five times even d But there's the portfolio issue, which I would argue, if growth is solid this year, we're unlikely to have a credit cycle in twenty six. So what's going on. There's that liquidity mismatch that's big problem, and I think they're being confused, meaning there are certain BDC's that you have to offer quarterly liquidity, and when investors rush for the exits and they think others are, then they're going to rush. And I think in portfolios that have good matching of assets and liabilities liquidity, they may be fine. Having said that this is the crisis before the crisis, to quote someone else, if we have a credit cycle in next two or three years, I actually think this concern now is going to be healthy, because if we have a credit cycle, then you're going to see more issues in private credit.
Speaker 1: If you're listening across America, good morning to you, Paul Suenian, Tom Keane of Bloomberg Surveillance on YouTube, subscribe to Bloomberg Podcast. It's our digital distribution humbled by that success, and of course all of you on traditional audio as well. Where there's Robert Kaplan of the Dallas Fed now holding court again at Golden Sachs as vice chairman, I would say, like Mark KIMMITTT and the military spans finance, Robert Champlin, you span academics over to finance, over to your service at the Dallas Fed like no one else in America. Once again, we're studying within private credit the efficacy of hedging. In every single class ever been taught, there's a point where a hedge catches up with you. How close are we within rehedging where the game the shell game we're playing, or we get to a shock, a tip point that upsets the apple cart.
Speaker 2: So well, obviously the yield curve is drifted up because oil prices have drifted up, the real yields come up, and people are concerned that central banks just aren't going to cut in the way that we may have thought literally a month ago. Having said that, I think that the private credit issue, maybe not this year, but over the horizon, is about operational risk matching financial risk. And we were taught way back when if operational risk is high, be careful about the financial risk. And AI and disruption is going to increase operational risk. Businesses will figure it out, but you don't want to be as highly leveraged. And so that's something I think people are going to have to go back and screut Now.
Speaker 1: Is a private credit people Paul will say, well, we're not leveraged. We're here, I'm listening to Robert Kaplan.
Speaker 2: The companies listen. We would have said in the past four or five times ebit D that's not over leveraged. Well it is. If there's a risk that your ebit D might drop thirty percent because of a new innovation. That's the issue.
Speaker 3: What's the message to your bankers these days when you sit down with your senior bankers or coverage bankers, and all right, for the next few weeks, let's go out. We want to get this message out to our clients.
Speaker 2: Let's stay close to clients, Let's understand their needs, Let's be shared bringing. Let's bring the whole firm to bear, including our thought leadership, to help them figure out what's going on. Corporate clients are very active investing clients across all our sectors are trying to figure out and handicap what's going on, and our job is to understand them, build our relationships, and serve them by bringing the whole firm to bear.
Speaker 3: Are you sensing that this I mean the AI revolution? I guess we'll just I'm not sure what it is. We used to call big data back in the day, but some people are telling me this is more important than the Internet, and it might just be a cut below electricity in terms of the importance of society. I've had somebody to express to me that way. Boy, if I'm a corporate border CEO. I feel like I got to get super smart, super quick because it's either a friend or an enemy to my business. I'm not sure which.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so here businesses are handling it in the following way. A typical business has ten or fifteen use cases. You know, how can we change our controllers department, our marketing department, all the different things that they do. They're in the middle with partners outside partners of going through those use cases. And I'd say we're in the early innings and two years from now they're going to be a whole lot smarter. Two years will be an eternity, yes, but businesses will be a whole lot smarter. Some ofm are saying, I want to do more strategic merger activity to help mitigate some of the risk here. But we're in we're learning right now. So anybody tells you I know exactly how this is going to they don't know. The smartest people I know are in the middle of it, and they're open to learning and are not prejudging it.
Speaker 1: On AI, what is your observation on a roll up of all the competitors now? Are there too many? Just on a unit basis, are there too many players.
Speaker 2: Well, so a lot of our attention, because we can't avoid it, is all the CAPEX and the compute infrastructure part. Okay, then there's the adoption companies, which are extremely highly valued. And the truth is, I have no doubt we need to create more compute. How the adoption companies are going to shake out? I think that's where more of the uncertainty is, and that's where the software situation. The first reaction is it's going to be disruptive. I think the second reaction after people calm down, but clients are going to need advice to help with the installation, and the software companies are critical that. So I think we're literally wrestling our way through this.
Speaker 1: Thank you for the comments. In Kansas City, there was I mean, was George Brett's bad tard. I think it was Robert Kevin. Thank you, Thank you awer of the Kansas City Royals with the modest interest in golden sacks. And of course it's a public service at the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas