Speaker 1: There's nothing worth and so on. Has worked so hard in a party and then is in the kitchen when people come. You know, once the party comes, just let go and enjoy it.
Speaker 2: I've known Darcy Miller since the early nineties, nineteen ninety two to be exact, when she started working at Martha Stewart Living. Darcy was right out of college answering the telephones. Both she and the brand Martha Stewart grew up together. Darcy was essential to the creation of Martha Stewart Weddings Magazine, where she set the tone for what would become one of the most beautiful weddings magazines ever. Speaking of weddings, I even introduced Darcy to her husband, and then we covered their wedding in the magazine and on our television program. Today, Darcy is at the helm of her own business, Darcy Miller Designs, which is all about celebrations and joining me here at New York City's New Stands Studios right at Rockefeller Center, we are going to talk about working together, being an entrepreneur, and of course, how to add a little celebration into everyday life. Darcy Miller, Welcome to my podcast. Thanks you Martha and it's so nice to have you here. I visited with Darcy last Friday. We see each other on and off all the time because we like each other. Tell me about your new business, because you left the editorial world and then decided to use your talents, which are amazing, to create a business called.
Speaker 1: Dartymowe Design de Sign And you know, I've been I feel lucky to be doing something that I really love, and so I launched Darcy Miller Designs, which we have a website and we do product and we give lots of ideas to help people celebrate every day. We have downloads on our website. But then, you know, after a couple of years, I really missed being involved in people's events like I did at Martha Stu at weddings. So I started a concierge business called Celebration Expert. Were somewhere between your fairy godmother, your creative director, and I help people with their events. I'm not their planner, I'm kind of their advisor.
Speaker 2: And you put everything together right because.
Speaker 1: I hear from you and people say to me, well, I don't want the whole package. Can you just tell me who to use as a florist or I'm like, no, because I really need to talk to you and hear you. And you know, so much about the weddings is again about the experience and having the right fit for what's right for you.
Speaker 2: And so you are like the matchmaker between the party giver and the people who actually make the party happen.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean that's one part of it. And then we're also kind of help you with ideas, and I like, think of kind of your party shrink. I had one of my clients, the mother was having a little bit of a difficult time with the daughter, and you know, and part of it's just helping them through through it and then also giving them creative ideas. And you know, who makes the best chocolate cover oreos, who makes the best petty forwards? And so for me, that's fun helping make people a special day even more special and enjoyable.
Speaker 2: Darcy gets down to the nitty gritty and that's that's her talent. And and for anybody giving a party, if you don't get down to the nitty gritty, your party is going to be kind of wishy washy. Your parties are to the point and fabulous, No, they really are. And Darcy has a fantastic presentation to to encourage people to use your services. That's right.
Speaker 1: And we do have our books celebrate Everything, Oh yes, which is the book is filled with lots of details. And then Celebration Expert is the higher end custom program.
Speaker 2: That's and and this is this is an amazing grochure. Then go over with Darcy personally and understand what your party can be. Is there any other celebration Expert like this? I don't know of one.
Speaker 1: I mean, there's so many planners, great planners, and for me, I felt like that this business is a combination of everything I've done. It's not exactly what anyone else does. I'm not your planner, I'm not your event you know, designer. I'm your celebration expert.
Speaker 2: Darcy's worked with the best party designers, you know.
Speaker 1: I've worked a lot with David Stark, Lewis Miller. But one of the things I love about the industry is meeting so many different designers and there's always new people and getting to support the new people. And on our Instagram we do meet the blank and we will introduce people to a cookie person or a florist, and so that's a really fun.
Speaker 2: Part can you mention any of the big, big name clients that you've worked with.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, yes, we did a Bloomingdale's shop, but we did a Valentine I love Valentine's Day because along with this, you know, service business, we give you content every day on our website and our Instagram. So we've done I'm a big Valentine's person, you know, you're a Halloween and Christmas on Valentine's Day and so we did a love shop and it had everything from a Naeste Later bag to all these great Levi's embroidery, and we have a We're coming We're about to do something else with Bloomingdale's which is coming up in the fall. I'm not allowed. I'm sure I'm allowed to say. And then we have a Chasing Paper collection with wall decals. So all those decals that you saw in my office, the frames and all the post it's, those are all sold through Chasing Paper. And then you know we've done. We did a Minion's collection for Paper Source, which was really fun and so kind of they're all different, and you know, we help Serena Williams with her baby shower and a couple other you know kind of VIP, but most importantly, I throw Martha Steart's seventieth birthday party.
Speaker 2: That's true. So what do you think it takes to create a brand that really sticks.
Speaker 1: It has to be authentic, and you have to have a passion. You know, it's something that you've been in my DNA, I've always done it, you know, had a party, favorite business at Penn when I was in high school. You have to have a passion. Also, you have to work hard and nothing, nothing is too small. And I think all the people at Martha we all felt that way. Nothing was too small to do and we would do anything, you know, to get what we needed to get. And you don't even think of it as work. If you find something that you love to do, I feel lucky because I feel like it's not work, it's fun. And sometimes we joke around about we're like, well, what how big should the confetti circle be on this? We're okay, we cannot be having this conversation listen to us. And I have friends Susan Domchek and Bob Vonderhide who are on colleges at Penn, and whenever I have dinner with them, like what's going on? And they'll say like where they are with the vaccine, and they'll be like, how's work with you? And I'm like, oh, we're, you know, gearing up for July fourth ideas, And you know, they remind me that helping people bring joy to life and celebrate memories.
Speaker 2: Helps with your business and help us your mental health.
Speaker 1: And you know, especially today with mental health, nothing as important as making people feel good and creating memories.
Speaker 2: What's your ultimate vision for your business?
Speaker 1: The name of my books that celebrate everything. And you know, this new business, Celebration Expert, is a more custom business, so that's kind of hard to scale. It all goes through me. You know, our website and our downloads is available to everyone. And that's nice that we have these two things that you can always print out for Mother's dan. I love seeing you know, Mother's Day people on Instagram printing out like easy, you know, last minute ideas. It's a nice balance to the bigger events.
Speaker 2: You helped with Jude's first birthday. Do you remember at Perry's Street the animals? Yes, you know we did. We did a stuffed animal party at Perry Street by Jean George and that was the most charming little birth but it was for all adults, and we photographed that for the and then all the birthday parties after that they I think we did seven Extravagance.
Speaker 1: That wanted stare it with the planet.
Speaker 2: Oh, that was so great. Yeah, there was the solar system party. Alexis made the cakes. You remember we were talking about how difficult those cakes had been to make the whole solar system out of cake, and that was that was fun. But but you had such an influence on all of those of those parties because you sort of taught us how how to do it studio. No no, I certainly did. Yes we did. But you've you've made you've you have made celebrations important and beautiful and fun and all encompassing. And that that is your talent, Darcy. You have an amazing talent.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you, Martha, and I'm of course incredibly grateful and lucky for my many many many years from you. As I said, I was going to go to maybe business school or art school, and I said, instead, I started at Martha Stewart and never made it to business school or art school because Martha, working at Martha Steart living was that and more. And not only everything we learned, but the people and the family that you created.
Speaker 2: I feel like you hardly need business school. You are an amazing entrepreneur and you teach all of us so many things. Darcy. How many years were you actually at Martha Stewart living a lot?
Speaker 1: I started in ninety two and until recently was you know, the editor at large. So many years, so many.
Speaker 2: Many years, and it was such an exciting career. I remember clearly the day that your parents walked down Lily Pond Lane. I had a house out in Easthampton, and the and the Miller's had a house not far from my house, and they came screamed through the gate, when are you going to hire our daughter, Darcy?
Speaker 1: When are you going to kind of stalk you guys to hire me?
Speaker 2: She was stalking in stock It was definitely pressuring me to hire Darcy Miller.
Speaker 1: You're lucky there was no email that I couldn't have been, you know, texting you and emailing you at the time.
Speaker 2: And then I said, I said to to our HR department, I said, let's hire this Darcy because she is so great and I know her parents and I know she'll do a good job. You were right out of University of Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, when I first graduated, I had a party favorite business when I was at in high school and in college, and my parents said, and I really wanted to go to art school. My parents said, you have to get a real job for a few years. And so I actually had two interviews. I interviewed with Anna Wintour to be her assistant, and I had this interview to be Gail's assistant.
Speaker 2: Gale Towie, our creative director's assistant. We have the issue, the first issue of Weddings. Where is that first issue with the buquet, the heart shaped bouquet on the cover, This beautiful bouquet that has about one hundred roses of pale shades of pink and apricott and pale yellow on the cover. And I was making the bouquet myself. I remember you were there at the studio, and I kept I kept making the bundles of roses that then were tied all together, and it turned out it was a heart shape. And everybody rolled their eyes, and I said, oh, I like this. And Darcy she was not exactly enamored of the heart shaped bouquet, nor was the photographer, nor was the other stylist. But I persevered and that became one of the iconic bouquets.
Speaker 1: Everyone watch to their floorished with that.
Speaker 2: They went with that picture, as.
Speaker 1: They did with all with the magazine, with many pictures.
Speaker 2: Oh everything, and all your ideas were reflected in Wedding after wedding after wedding all across the world. Actually, Darcy, I do remember this.
Speaker 1: I was twenty five and single and we had done one I had been working at Living and we did one, you know, test issue, and then Martha said, you know, we're going to change your toilet title from style editor to wedding editor. And I was like, I am twenty five in single, do not want to be the wedding editor. And you had said to me, you know, well give it a try, you'll it's all the stuff you love, you know, fashion and you know, flowers and jewelry and travel, and that is the great thing about the wedding business. Encompasses everything. And it's also I like people. So it combined me and relationship.
Speaker 2: Dartsy likes relationships, she likes putting people together, and you you were probably the best weddings editor ever ever, ever, And we went on to feature Darcy's own wedding in two thousand and one. Oh gosh, it was already two thousands when you.
Speaker 1: Got hurry, you know, I was too busy. You told me I wasn't allowed to get married because then I won't want to do the magazine. And then at some point you said I was getting old and I better get married.
Speaker 2: Yes, thanks mom, And she married one of my attorneys, Andy Nussbaum, who is this brilliant, really amusing, very very very smart young man, and happily ever after three daughters. Yeah, one is just at Harvard. I'm so proud of I'm proud of you and Andy, but I'm also very proud of the girls for growing up to be such lovely young women.
Speaker 1: Well, I will say it was just Mother's Day and my girls, you know, wrote me separate notes and both you know, said you're an inspiration and we look up to your hard work. And you know, when you're working as a mother, you're always having that juggle of oh I'm going to miss the school, plaguau, I'm gonna be on a shoot. I'm at a wedding Saturday night. So I you know, it is always a juggle. So I'm I made it through without you know, it's.
Speaker 2: A juggling act, and they're not mad at you at all. I think it's just incredible that that you've made, You've created an amazing home, amazing celebratory events constantly in your in your life, and you and your husband are just still the charming couple you've always been.
Speaker 1: Well and thanks to you, who you know, not only fixed me up but also convinced me to go out with him.
Speaker 2: I remember telling Jarcy that my daughter found him very found Andy very attractive. And when I said that, I think your attitude changed a little bit.
Speaker 1: And I remember you saying to me, even if you don't like him, just marry him. I'll be such a good father. And that is true. But although now I like him, but I love him, but he is a very good father. Well, the thing about Martha is having worked for her for one hundred years, you tend to always think you're right, and usually you are right. And so you know, when you told me that he was my husband, I'm like, oh, Martha, you don't know what you're talking about. But for a change, you or right.
Speaker 2: There you are. I was, I was a good fixer upper.
Speaker 1: I know I know you a fix up.
Speaker 2: So everyone listening is about twenty years late. No, you know whatever, I could love his love.
Speaker 1: If anyone has a guy, come to me first, because I will not only fix her up, but then I'll do the wedding.
Speaker 2: Darcy evolved the wedding's business that Martha's Stewart Living into a really beautiful, well read, very beloved magazine Martha's Stuart Weddings, Oh Me and a lot of other We did lots, well, yes, we did so many times. But we did beautiful books, We did beautiful calendars, beautiful TV, beautiful guides for the bride and groom. We did a lot and we actually, I think altogether we changed the face of American weddings.
Speaker 1: I like to think so. I mean, when we started the magazine in ninety five, weddings were a little more cookie cutter, and you know, we tried to add to the personalization and the color for everything, the palette and the details. And I think we were one of the only people who actually went to weddings and worked with couples to help them with the details.
Speaker 2: And I remember so, I remember pretty much every single weddings issue because not only were they very beautiful and visual, but also very very heartfelt in the way they covered real weddings.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we weren't scared to kind of do different things. I remember one of the first issues, Gail had a friend, Jinny Edwards, who was wearing a green dress, which back then not a lot of people wore a green dress for their wedding, and so I went around to find you know, we made her green cake that Wendy Chromer did. And then it was when Kate Spade was just starting her business and I said to Katie, you know, I need a green purse for this wedding. And it was a chartreuse perse that Hannah made, this Guardina bouquet. And you know, at the time, there weren't a lot of Chartrouse weddings.
Speaker 2: Not at all, but your wedding. We focused on that wedding in our magazine because it was held at the iconic Four Seasons restaurant, which was one of the most It was one of the most beautiful weddings ever. I'm looking at the pictures of the dessert buffet. That's fabulous wedding cake and was that made at the Four Seasons.
Speaker 1: Wendy Chromer made it.
Speaker 2: Wendy made it. Oh my gosh, when.
Speaker 1: We were first going out. We went to Paris, and I love lady, and so I bought all these boxes and he thought I was crazy. And so the wedding cake looked like stack boxes. And that's really how we approach weddings with these really level of detail and personalization. So it was filled with you know, and people always say to me, oh my gosh, your wedding, you know, after having run, marked, stir at weddings for so long. But when I think about our wedding, it just felt really personal, unlike us, you know, and that's why it was special.
Speaker 2: No, the cake looks like a stack of pink Laugerie boxes right with chocolate embellishment, the croak and bush, the mounds of delicious desserts. It was spectacular. And this is what month was this?
Speaker 1: And we got married in May two thousand and one, and then that was the fall issue.
Speaker 2: Such a beautiful thing.
Speaker 1: And you gave a very funny toast, I did you and Sharon gave a very ton somehow. You know, you knew that Andy knew all the prepositions in alphabetical order, so your toast was about us in prepositions.
Speaker 2: I love doing that. That was so much fun, and oh wow, did we have to get dressed up for this wedding.
Speaker 1: I remember taking you to Vera Wang. I mean I took my niece, you know, and then I took Martha, I took my mom. I took Martha for her dress, and you know.
Speaker 2: All that part her dress.
Speaker 1: Did she dress there too, It's all part of I don't remember.
Speaker 2: She got hers at sex remember that.
Speaker 1: You know. I always say, the wedding's not about that day, It's about the whole process. And you threw that beautiful engagement dinner and uh, it was such a you know, special time.
Speaker 2: At Jean George. That was so beautiful.
Speaker 1: Dinner.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, it was cast and then the rehearsal dinner. It was amazing. And it was the wedding that I never got to have for my own daughter because Alex has decided after we reserved the Four Seasons, I think it was prior to was that prior to your wedding? Yes, yeah, prior to Darcy's wedding. We were going to have that that wedding at the Four Seasons with Alexus and John Cuty, and then she decided she didn't want such a John George for lunch we did. We had those beautiful.
Speaker 1: Banners on the cakes, those beautiful cakes.
Speaker 2: We had beautiful, beautiful luncheon, but it was tiny and so I never, I never, in our family didn't get to celebrate a wedding like that.
Speaker 1: Chris and Tims was at your.
Speaker 2: House, Yes, it was.
Speaker 1: That was very beautiful and Sophie's remember we went to Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: YEP. That was so much fun. And all of these have been documented extensively by Darcy and her team to make beautiful memories of beautiful events, and that's what Darcy really does. You learned all this stuff as editor of the magazine. Do you remember any problems when you were when you were working on these weddings? What was the most what was the most difficult wedding you ever attended and photographed?
Speaker 1: I don't know if there was a difficult one. I mean, like anything you challenge, there's always issues and there's always you know, when I had son, who is you know, frustrated with the father in law, whatever it is, it's just all part of the process, you know, and you just can't lose sight of that that it's about something good, whether it's a you know, birthday, anniversary, wedding, but we had a few hiccups along the way. Any bridezillas, I mean, you know, I don't call them bridezillas. I just call them, you know, people who are focused on a perfect day and having challenges along the way.
Speaker 2: Where did the name for egg Zilla come from? Anyway, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It wasn't us, No, it was not mark Ster Weddings. But you know, we really had fun, and the team at Mark Strat Weddings had fun working on the real weddings. And all the weddings are so different. People say to me like, oh, what's your favorite one? I mean, duh, my wedding course, But after that, they're just all so different. I just remember Carolyn kelly wedding in that restaurant and it wasn't over the top, but it was so special. At the one at the bunch Aft House when Alison and JP got married. I don't know if you remember this or I ever knew this, but this was two our directors who were very specific and had very great taste and had given the cake baker pantone chip, a color chip to match the exact you know, color of the cake, and when it was being driven out, it was in the window of the car and half the car cake changed colors.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. I didn't hear that.
Speaker 1: I just remember the driver giving it to me and be like, oh my god, the cake is So we were like, oh, what do we do?
Speaker 2: Why did we change color?
Speaker 1: Do you from the sun? And so we ended up just flipping the cake and changing the other half. And I felt like by that time, and once she was married, it was the cake was coming out at night. I think we maybe first photographed the good side before before we switched it.
Speaker 2: These are real people's, real celebrations, and you can't be invasive, you can't be difficult. You have to really go with what they want and still end up with beautiful photographs. And you were the best at doing that. Nobody, nobody could get in your way.
Speaker 1: Oh you have to have that gene. I think to be in the wedding business that you love and you love the people. And I go to this conference called Engage, which is with the luxury wedding industry, and we all it's just a lot of people who love do it. You have to love it to be in it. And you know, I don't remember at the Levenson's wedding. It it poured rain and we last minute god umbrellas and you know, it's just you have to do it. And one of the things that I do is part of my business, is that you can hire me to be at your event that day with my phone and I take video and photo and then I make you a real after And for me, I just love helping people and trying to help people be relaxed, because a wedding means nothing thing if you don't enjoy it, you know, and trust me, I am not the most relaxed perts And I was giving Pantone chips myself to the pastry chef at the Four Seasons. But at some point you've got to let go.
Speaker 2: The wedding industry was very different when we started this magazine. You just you just alluded to that fact. What is it like now?
Speaker 1: I mean, it's totally different.
Speaker 2: It is. Well, first of all, destination weddings have become the most popular form of wedding.
Speaker 1: Yes, And I think that happened because when we started weddings they were cookie cutter and dresses were white, and you know, there were wedding flowers. And over the years they've become more personalized and also more individual so as people wanted to have a different experience, you know, the idea of going away with friends and family and spending a couple of days as opposed to a couple hours. We just saw there were not even so many designers. And over the years, I remember go to Monique Lili's for a show, Akuaras for a show. There's all different kinds of weddings. I don't if you remember we put cupcakes on the cover of the magazine Stack Cupcakes one cover, and Sylvia Weinstock said to me, I mean cupcakes are fine, but not for a wedding. I mean, now you people have pies for their cake. I mean you name it or don't have cake, have a deserved.
Speaker 2: That all evolved during your tenure as editor, because I remember what we mentioned. Wendy Kromer. Here's a Midwestern girl who taught self taught baker who created cake after cake after cake for our Weddings magazine and for our weddings books. Incredibly beautiful cakes, very professional and very tasty cakes. My whole idea of wedding cake is that you can eat it and it doesn't taste like cardboard.
Speaker 1: And there's so many incredible cakecakes. I mean, Ron Ben Israel has made a lot. One of my favorite parts of the magazine was finding new talents and finding new you know, and the team was always so great.
Speaker 2: War Fuller is a great grone dome of wedding cakes. She was so much fun. She was a good friend of yours.
Speaker 1: Yes, she was amazing. And again that's another person when you talk about people have a passion. You know, I'm not sure you know how old she was, whether she was in her ages or when she was making cakes to the very end and just loved it. And as you as you mentioned before, brides are not they always and grooms are not always the easiest to deal with and my mother's but again you've got to love it to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm talking about the I mean, I started catering before I started the magazine, and those those catered weddings that I did were not exactly cookie cutter, but they were all they all followed a pattern. And now now weddings can be anywhere. They can be large and small, they can be colorful or old white, and they really have taken on a life of their own. What happened during COVID with weddings, you know, postponements or a combination.
Speaker 1: Some people did micro weddings and just had you know, close family outside, or just did something with literally the bride and groom and their parents and then decide to have a party later. But I have to say, what makes me happy is that people found like what the true meaning of a wedding is. As much as I love a dessert buffet, it's not about the desert cafe. It's about finding each other. And I think the people who didn't want to wait still did. And then there was a huge boom in weddings, you know, in the last year or so. It's which is so nice for the industry because there's so many talented photographers and bands and so for me, I love to hear when people their business is great, and because really the wedding business, of course, there's a lot of big companies who are part of it, but it is a lot of the experts and vendors are smaller. You know, mom and pop businesses, people who make the case or you know, the lighting companies, and there's just so many incredibly talented people.
Speaker 2: To see the evolution of your business. The wedding's business is extraordinary.
Speaker 1: The way we approach weddings, I think also has affected all types of celebrations. You know, what an anniversary party is, what a fiftieth birthday? I mean, what a birthday party is? You know, And I think maybe part of it was, you know, Instagram and but even you know when I did my daughter's first birthday and which was in Mark Start Kids and her name is Daisy, So I had a Daisy birthday and it wasn't about being fancy. It was about being really fun and personal. And that was at my mom's and I have all those cute pictures of you and you.
Speaker 2: Know, it was a party. It was around the pool. Oh that was that was how I know? That was Paul PAULA Yeah, Paul Paul came to the birthday party and he was so beautiful.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: But it's also for me, it's about all this like wedding, you know, birthday, it's really about creating memories and parties are about getting people together, people you love and you know, creating memories of celebrations.
Speaker 2: Well, how how important is photography to you in a celebration?
Speaker 1: Oh? I mean, come on, that's like my number one?
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: When I got married the first person. Before I would pick a place, I called, you know, John Dolan and and I'm still that way. We had to move Pippa's bot Mitz because of COVID, and before we picked a new date, I called Donna Newman. I said, just making sure you can do this date and for me as a scrap worker. And you know, I obviously love the pictures, but even if you're not, no matter what pictures you take. I mean I just went through before we did at this and was looking the other night. I'm going to make something for my Instagram of so many pictures when I look at all the pictures of you at the kid's birthday parties, and you know, it's as much as we all say, we're going to remember it. It's so nice and also nice to show your kids. I will say. My kids are always like no pictures, no pictures. But let me tell you, they're like, mom, do you have a picture of me and this person? Mom? Do you? And I what makes me really happy of one of the things I see in my kids, of things that they do not for me but for other people, and things that they make for my mother, And you know that they.
Speaker 2: Are anybody anybody have your particular style of drawing any of the girls. I don't know so much, but you and your mother had that style. My mother these are these are line drawings of like caricatures of friends and family. Darcy and her mother are perfection in terms of creating. I mean, with three lines you can make mind.
Speaker 1: I remember when I drew you. I threw a seventieth birthday for you, and so I drew all the Marthas, and as we know, there's a lot of Martha's. There's a television, the author, the gardener, the cook, I mean, the beak.
Speaker 2: They all were exactly accurate.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if you knew this, but my mom is my cloak for her natural handwriting is great, so like in the book and in places when you see the writing, it's my mom's.
Speaker 2: Oh I love it so much. The last party I went that you designed was your daughter, Hippas Mitz but Mitzvah. What a party that was. It was on Park Avenue in that that beautiful former Christian science church. The setting was incredible. All of us seated up. Well.
Speaker 1: Again, it's it's always for us about making a personal and making it, you know, like for us one. We always do these crazy toasts, and my husband and I sang a song. We are not singers in any way, shape or form.
Speaker 2: But you were coached. You were coached. Yes, you got the right lyrics.
Speaker 1: Artists help us and get friends for in the industry. Who.
Speaker 2: So, if you if you're thinking of having a party, Darcy is the kind of person that you want involved in making sure that that particular party is exactly what you want. I keep thinking, gosh, when will I have a party like that? And uh, maybe maybe jude sweet sixteen party. I'll wait four more years. Jude is now.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, we really need to focus on this. I need to fix you up so I can throw your engagement party.
Speaker 2: Or or my wedding. I think the wedding would probably be fabulous.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean after that Sports illustrated. Oh, I mean come on knock your door.
Speaker 2: Well, let's hope they do. Gosh, you know, I need a garden or I need somebody who likes to garden.
Speaker 1: Okay, everyone who's listening, do you know a cute guy who likes to garden?
Speaker 2: Yeah, guy who likes to garden and uh and has uh has the It was energetic and curious like like I am.
Speaker 1: And respects a strong woman. I mean that's one of the things.
Speaker 2: That for me, she's matched me. I think her real business is as a yenta. Well, weddings season is coming up.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, it's always wedding season.
Speaker 3: Three.
Speaker 1: People say to me, you know you must be busy. It's June. I'm like, people are planning year round, you know, and it's not just wedding.
Speaker 2: So you're you know, how long does it take to actually plan a big, spectacular wedding.
Speaker 1: I mean, it takes as long as you have, you know, But I would say the you the longer you have, you can do it in a little bit more of a relaxed way and you can meet some different vendors and not be crazy. But it's not good to have too long.
Speaker 2: You have d I T versus d I Y, which I know is do it yourself. What is d I T?
Speaker 1: Well? D T stands for do it together. And as much as some of our stuff is to do it yourself, for me, all this creating parties, baking cakes, you know, having birthday parties, anniversary parties is about doing things together. And for me, when I think about my birthday parties, when I was little with my mom. I remember the parties, but I actually remember even more like doing it with my mom, making the invitation together and making you know, setting up the table. And so I always say, you know, saying what I was saying about the wedding. You have to enjoy the process. And you know, whether it's one memory that like you bake the cake every year with your kid the night before their birthday, or you and your friends, you know, are having a birthday for an office mate, you know, it's about kind of doing it together and enjoying the process.
Speaker 2: So the family has always been the focus of what you do. Are your daughters interested in joining your business?
Speaker 1: Do you think we'll see? I will say that I am super proud of all them. Ella during COVID started a tidie business and she said, oh, I need a project, and decided to donate all the money to pediatric cancer to the Sunrise Association, and it's called tidi for a Good Cause. And actually, now I'm thinking about it, she's gonna kill me because she made you a sweatshired for a long time and she said, oh, will you bring it to Martha, And I'm realizing that I didn't bring it, so I have to get that for you. But I'm really impressed because she has stuck to it and she's working there this summer. And when I see that, first of all, the fact that she has stuck to it, that she organized it. She started a website and an Instagram you follow. It's called Tadi for a good cause, and she wanted a time when she gets in order. She titi A. Our bathroom has the evidence of it. But you know what, I don't even care. As someone who likes things neat, I'm like so happy to see those danes. So you know that entrepreneurial spirit. There's always a little bit of that juggle of working mother and feeling the guilt if you're missing stuff. But when I see her doing things like that, it makes me super proud.
Speaker 2: How can one spice up a last minute celebration, Just.
Speaker 1: Whoever the celebration is for, just think about what they love. We did a birthday for my friend Nancy Ducks, her husband, and ordered He has a go tea that he's known for, and we ordered go tees for everyone. Oh, John, you know it's amazing what you can get on Amazon, Etsy, or you can make yourself and it was really fun that everyone held it up when they were singing happy.
Speaker 2: That you hold in front of your face.
Speaker 1: That's and then I ordered some the go teas for the kids when they were doing their toast. It was just like one of the super personal things. It was really funny.
Speaker 2: What should every celebration include or what should every celebration not miss?
Speaker 1: Every celebration should include a toast, because that's what it's about being together. Whether you have just your family or three hundred of your friends, just make sure to express your love and gratitude.
Speaker 2: Toasts are hard to write. Sometimes they're very hard to write. Are there any resources for telling us how to write a toast? Yes?
Speaker 1: There are. Actually, those are some of the resources I give our clients. There are people in the business who help people write toasts. I don't even remember Susie Flax, who used to work with us. These people aren't about writing the toast for you. They're helping you get your voice out.
Speaker 2: So people are doing kind of odd parties nowadays. They're doing gender reveal parties, they're doing oh that's not even odd, celebration of life parties. Yes, it seems like celebrating is such a big thing. Have you done any of these parties.
Speaker 3: Celebrate anything and everything. I mean, the name of the book is celebrate everything. It should be celebrate anything and everything because at the end of the day, whether it's a wedding, a gender reveal, or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: You know, I give someone this art. Client's a crazy questionnaire that asks us everything about you, and then we approach it by making the.
Speaker 2: Day like that.
Speaker 1: There's nothing that you can't celebrate, you know. And again, I feel like the one thing I say to people is don't worry about what other people do, and don't worry about what you should do, work could do. If you don't like cake, you don't need cake, you know, just do what you want to do. But also think about your guests. And actually that's one thing I tell you know, couples who are planning a wedding, even everyone says it's your day, it's your day, but you want your guests to be comfortable and think about them too.
Speaker 2: So are there any mistakes that you have to avoid when planning a celebration? What are those big mistakes that you could possibly make?
Speaker 1: You definitely want to make sure there's enough food, there's stuff to drink, if you're having a wedding and it's outdoors and it's hot, having drinks in the beginning, you know, sometimes you focus and also you know, we're about all the details and the personalization, but just enjoying it. And there's nothing worse than so on who's worked so hard at a party and then it's in the kitchen when people come. You know, once the party comes, just let go and enjoy it.
Speaker 2: So digital scrap books as opposed to physical scrap books, would you I write them both.
Speaker 1: You know a lot of people well to each year do a family scrapbook a digital scrap book. I always also say do what's right for you. You can if you're not a you know, don't want to make that physical scrap book, throw in a box your the birthday invitation or a note. And you know, I'm actually very behind on my scrap books. I was really good in the beginning, especially when I had one child, right But there's so many great digital scrap book companies, so whatever it takes, just make them. And the nice thing about a digital scrap book is that you can also make multiples. And when my father passed away, I made a book of letters that he had written them and their wedding invitation, a bunch stuff about my in laws, and I made copies for all the grandchildren, So I definitely wouldn't not have made myself ate copies, you know, so they can be you know, greate the digital scrap books.
Speaker 2: So for more ideas and inspiration, pick up Darcy's book, Celebrate Everything, publisher HarperCollins. You can also bring your parties to life. Follow Darcy at Darcy Miller on Instagram and check out her website which is Darcymiller Designs dot com. So much fun to talk to you, Darcy, Martha