Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Amazon also announcing half a billion dollar investment in nuclear clean energy. Here to discuss it, Matt Goarman, CEO of AWS, and Matt welcome back to Blimberg Technology. It's so interesting to see that. Thank you to see the hyperscaler is so focused on this. I think we start with y SMRs, right, that's a very specific avenue to go down.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think SMRs are a great new technology and they're an important part of the energy landscape that we're looking at. We made a five hundred million dollar investment in a company called x Energy that are really I think they're one of the leaders in this space, and they're really pushing on the technology SMRs.
Speaker 1: They have a couple of advantages.
Speaker 3: They're able to be constructed in a smaller footprint, which means you can put them.
Speaker 1: Closer to where the energy needs to be.
Speaker 3: They're also incredibly safe and easily manufactural, and so they're very promising technology and we're quite excited about our investments in this space and the partnerships that we have coming up.
Speaker 4: Small modular reactors SMRs for those getting in the acronym lingo. Matt it's great to have you. What about other deals, I mean, is this the first of many?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so a couple of details on the things that we announced yesterday. One, we have this investment with x Energy, who's a producer of these. But we also have announced two partnerships with utilities, and so we're actually well down the path, ongoing and actually implementing some of these deals. So we have a partnership with Dominion in Virginia to go implement an SMR as part of their energy footprint here in Virginia, and with Energy Northwest in Washington and Oregon, and our goal is to deliver more than five gigawatts of nuclear energy. We think that it's a fantastic opportunity for us to keep pushing on the carbon energy footprint that's needed as we continue to scale around the country.
Speaker 2: Matt, if you're well down the path, and based on what you just said, do you have a clear line of sight on what the dollar per mega what hour is going to be out of those facilities.
Speaker 1: We don't know that yet.
Speaker 3: We're still we are still early and we're still learning many of these technologies for these reactors or probably won't come online until twenty thirty, so.
Speaker 1: We'll still be learning there, but we feel that as we scale and in.
Speaker 3: The fullness of time, these energy sources are going to be quite competitive from a cost perspective, and it's one of the reasons that we're so excited about them.
Speaker 2: Would you bring back a full nuclear plant like three Mile Island in Pennsylvania And if so, which.
Speaker 3: One, well that I wouldn't have done that one in particular. But we actually have a partnership with Talent where we're bringing more energy online in Pennsylvania and that's we're actually the very first company to announce a deal with Talent several months ago. And so I think that some of these large nuclear plants are also excellent source of energy and they're an important part of that. And as I said, I think small modular reactors are going to be a component of what we need for a carbon free energy world, but large nuclear plants are going to be an important part of that too. And we've said that we'll take as much as almost a gigawot of power that we're bringing back online from this large plant in Pennsylvania, where we'll also be building data centers nearby. So I think it's all an important part of the portfolio as we move to decarbonize the energy.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about the decarbonization because back when you announce that deal in March with Susquehanna, you talked about how still the aim is to be by twenty twenty five one hundred percent renewable energy. Is that attainable with a sudden desire to have AI and the energy that goes with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, In fact, we announced that this year we hit one hundred percent carbon free energy in our systems, and I think that now our goal is how do we as we look at all of the energy demands that the business and the world frankly needs, how do we get to a continued path on growing carbon free energy. And so that's what a lot of these deals are about, is for the future.
Speaker 1: As we look.
Speaker 3: At power that we're going to need in twenty five, twenty seven, thirty, twenty forty, how do we make sure that we have a ramp of power so that as the energy needs grow, whether they're from electric vehicles or from companies increasingly digitizing, or from generative AI, that we have enough carbon free energy to support them. And so it's really a long term view that we have and part of this is on that long term view, how we continue.
Speaker 1: To have enough power well into the future.
Speaker 4: Let's talk about the short term view if we come for a minute, Matt, though, because right here, right now, do you have the power that is necessary from the places you want to be getting it from.
Speaker 1: We work really hard to make sure that we do.
Speaker 3: Our businesses continuing to grow rapidly, and we're adding new power and new data centers all of the time, and so we continue we look further out. We have power that we're adding in twenty four, power that we're adding in twenty twenty five, and continue out. And as you may have heard, over the last five years, Amazon has been the single biggest purchaser of renewable power contracts in the world every year for the last five years, and so we.
Speaker 1: Continue to do that.
Speaker 3: We continue to add power to our footprint, and we plan multiple years out because these projects that we go and launch they take many years to come online, and so we have lots of plans and we continue to grow as the needs of our customers grow.
Speaker 2: Matt, Will you have any Blackwell online by the end of this year?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, in videos, timelines have shifted on that and so and so. We have samples in the lab and we're working on them right now, but production qualities are production quantities we expect to be early next year.
Speaker 1: We work very.
Speaker 3: Closely with in Vidio on GPUs and super excited about that launch. And in Video's own large research cluster is actually launching in as so we'll have the first production qualities will be in AWS when they're ready, But so right now we're working with them and we have early samples, but as they get their yields up from the respind of the Blackwell chip, it'll probably be early next year before we really get production samples in real volume.
Speaker 4: Another partnership then Anthropics work on the chips. How is that going?
Speaker 1: Briefly fantastic.
Speaker 3: Anthropic continues to deliver fantastic new models. Their Sonnet three to five model is one of the most powerful ones that is out there today and customers really enjoying using it on a variety of tasks. I think the reasoning is industry and world class and a bunch of the capabilities that enterprises are able to deliver, and the value they get from those models is really it's fun to watch and we really enjoy that partnership and we continue to expect it to go for a long time.
Speaker 4: Matt Carman, AWS CEO, we appreciate your time. Thank you,